Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Everybody? Trevoroah Here.
Speaker 4: During last year's presidential campaign, we sent our very own Jordan Clepper all around the country to attend as many Trump rallies as he could, and he did, from Pennsylvania to Iowa, all the way to the Capitol riots on January sixth. Now that some time has passed, we thought it would be a good idea for Jordan to look back at what he saw, catch up with the people he met, and reflect on that year and its violent conclusion. So tonight we present to you Jordan Clepper's journey into the Maga verse.
Speaker 5: I'm Jordan Klepper, and I'm back where all began, in the very same parking lot where I interviewed hundreds of fired up Trump supporters here in Hershey, Pennsylvania, or Lancaster, Pennsylvania, or shit, this might be Jersey. The point is I've definitely been here before, because I remember doing a badass hero shot over there, interviewing some women drinking wine at ten in the morning, and walking out of that cornfield like a boss. Although there's no more cornfield, so thanks a lot, President Joe Biden. Last year, I followed Trump supporters to his rallies from parking lots just like this one, all the way to the steps of the Capitol that I stopped because its additions not really my thing.
Speaker 2: I'm more of a jaywalking guy.
Speaker 5: But now that the election's over and the glass has been cleaned up from the Capitol, I wanted to look back and reflect this past year and see how this led to this, because ultimately they were about the same thing, a fervent devotion to Donald Trump above everything else. And that's I learned early on in my travels. The picture of Donald Trump that his supporters have in their heads is more flattering than well, almost any picture of Donald Trump. But don't ask me, just ask them to describe Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Trump is my hero. President Trump is kind of a force. The aura came in the room before he did. Donald Trump is our first rock star superhero for residents.
Speaker 6: He's a very tall man, a little bit shorter than yourself, very big man, nice big hands.
Speaker 2: He's a man for all the people. I think he didn't need this job whatsoever either.
Speaker 5: The White House is honestly like a downgrade from his penthouse.
Speaker 2: Sweet and everything.
Speaker 5: Oh, it feels like it's a downgrade for America too.
Speaker 2: He's just a peaceful person in general, I think.
Speaker 5: And he puts those protesters down like that, which causes peace pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a skin that is about as thick as it gets and.
Speaker 5: Donald Donald try Donald Trump is Yeah, his thick skin six akin. He gets mad if a celebrity makes fun of him on Twitter.
Speaker 1: He's the real life Tony Stark. They should call him President iron Man.
Speaker 2: Well, Tony start gave a shit about science.
Speaker 5: Of course, you can't be a true superhero without some tragic flaws.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I don't like what you tweet. I don't one hundred percent agree with the way the guy talks.
Speaker 7: Admittedly, his personality is a bit rough around the edges.
Speaker 6: If he's doing a good job, why can't you just vote for him? Yeah, he's an as sometimes, all.
Speaker 5: Right, we'll end on that last part. I think something we can all agree.
Speaker 2: He's an as sometimes, but that's him. That's him, right. Nothing could stop a Trump rally.
Speaker 5: Not bad weather, not a looming impeachment trial, not a full time job as a leader of the free world, and definitely not COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: Even at the height of the pandemic.
Speaker 5: The Trump rallies still drew a crowd because Trump rallies are worth it, just ask anyone who is in Herman Kane. Besides their simple effective health cautions that can limit risk at these events, like wearing a mask. But for many Trump rally goers this was a face diaper of oppression. Trump is all about transparency, as you can see on the faces of his supporters.
Speaker 2: Granfully, I'm pretty jealous of these mouth breathers.
Speaker 8: Whenever they report it, they just talk about cases and death.
Speaker 6: They don't talk about recovery.
Speaker 2: They just tend to focus on the number. Yeah, very stone too much.
Speaker 5: Focus on the number dead. Let's focus on the other uplifting stuff.
Speaker 2: Correct, I'm worried about COVID. Why no mass breakaway? I forgot it in my car. Why aren't you wearing a mask? I mean again, it's a personal choice.
Speaker 8: I think if everybody was wearing home and everybody said, put a mask on, how do you respect everybody's wishes and put it on.
Speaker 6: We're not cheap, we're cheap.
Speaker 5: You're not cheap. But if everybody here was wearing masks, if everybody was wearing but again, we're not cheaper, you're not cheap. We're not gonna look at what everybody's doing and you're gonna follow.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not cheap.
Speaker 1: Not cheap. You know.
Speaker 5: From a Trump supporter's point of view, a Trump rally was a traveling carnival. It rolled into town, gave everyone some thrills that ruled back out, leaving some good memories, some COVID hospitalizations, and some unpaid bills. So what happens when the president of the United States stiffs the locals on an invoice? Just asked the mayor of Albuquerque, New Mexico, who's still looking for his money, mister mayor, thank you for joining us. What happened with the city of Albuquerque and the Trump campaign?
Speaker 8: Trump came for a rally and we decided to bill him because the cost.
Speaker 3: Of the city were tremendous. Eight US shut down downtown.
Speaker 8: We had a closed city hall, and so we decided to just build a campaign for it.
Speaker 3: And we have yet to get paid.
Speaker 2: So how much does Trump owe?
Speaker 3: Two hundred thousand, roughly.
Speaker 5: Two hundred thousand dollars, that's it. He's into Deutsche Bank for three hundred and fifty million. You think you're going to get your money from him. He doesn't even pay the irs, and they could put him in jail.
Speaker 8: In my mind, he owes us a lot more because there were about a day and a half where we couldn't even function as a city.
Speaker 5: What have you tried to do to get money back from Donald Trump?
Speaker 8: No phone calls have been returned. So we hired a collection agency.
Speaker 5: You actually hired a collections agency.
Speaker 8: He should be getting these annoying voicemails that like we get usually from scam companies where it's like you owe debts. I mean, I think mar A Lago is now getting those calls.
Speaker 5: A collection agency for Donald Trump. I feel like they could specialize predominantly in just Donald Trump claims like did you ask for a number twelve?
Speaker 8: We know other cities just from news reports have also built the campaign.
Speaker 5: Yes, the King of Debt is very good. Ain't a brand because he owes lots of cities money. Maybe you send a tough guy to go get money from him, like you're the mayor of New Mexico. You don't know Mike from Breaking Bad, I don't.
Speaker 3: But uh I have it.
Speaker 8: Actually as a person, he's a great dude, and he really also loves Albuquerque.
Speaker 5: People out there here that a city doesn't get two hundred thousand dollars, What does that actually mean to a place like Albuquerque? Where would that money go?
Speaker 3: Really? What happens?
Speaker 8: It just goes into the general fund and we use it top right the city.
Speaker 3: So police, force or fire all of those services.
Speaker 5: Is it fair to say that Donald Trump has effectively defunded the police? I mean, I knew it was happening somewhere in America. Apparently it's happening somewhat in Albuquerque.
Speaker 3: By that definition, you could say that.
Speaker 5: Knowing that he owes two hundred thousand dollars to Albuquerque might mean he'll never come to Albuquerque again? And is that worth it?
Speaker 3: That's all right with us. We're totally fine with that.
Speaker 5: I got a little gift for you that I think could be helpful. I want to send this your way. Welcome to Albuquerque. We do not accept checks from Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump.
Speaker 5: I saw this out of Odego once to really just shame anybody who had bounced checks, and this it kind of did the trick.
Speaker 8: Hey, if you send that to us, we might send you back at an image of that hanging somewhere done.
Speaker 5: If there's one thing Trump supporters hate. It's fake news, which begs the question which news sources do they trust? We used to like Fox.
Speaker 6: We don't like Fox. We don't like MSNBC, we don't like CBS.
Speaker 4: We don't like any of the fake news channels because they lie.
Speaker 2: Oh what happened to Fox? Was it their COVID covers that turned you off?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What about handed hand?
Speaker 6: Tucker?
Speaker 2: Tucker and Tucker?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so just two hours every day at Fox News.
Speaker 2: Otherwise it's a complete boycott. Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Will you accept Joe Biden as President of the United States on the twentieth No, I.
Speaker 2: Will not accept it. No, No, I will not. So look what I I geducated myself about this.
Speaker 6: Okay, I don't know all what's in the Constitution.
Speaker 2: Have you read it? It's pretty short Constitution of America.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've not read the whole you've read the entire thing?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's remarkably sure. All right, I doubt that, but it's okay, you should.
Speaker 5: Read it because you might be committed a seditious after an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna come on in, but that what do you think of the impeachment?
Speaker 6: Come on. Everybody knows what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Read the transcript, right, read the transcript?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Have you read the transcript?
Speaker 5: I have not read it, but we should read the transcript.
Speaker 2: We should look at the transcript.
Speaker 1: R Yeah, look at the transcript.
Speaker 2: Have you read the transcript?
Speaker 5: I trust the wordy about president? Yeah, read the transcript. Read the transcript.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Did you read the transcript? I don't have to. Everyone else said I can read it if I need to, right, Yeah, But it's important that everybody reads the transcript. It is very important. But attention and think for yourself. Yes you have, But to be clear, you have not read the transcript. I haven't, no, right, but it is just important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't be a sheep.
Speaker 3: Think for yourself.
Speaker 5: But again, just to be very clear, you have not read. I have not read. You just trusted somebody else who rest? What were you saying about? Don't be a sheep. Don't think for yourself. Do your own research. Do your own research. But just because they won't read their sources, that doesn't mean they don't have them somewhere. Historically, this presidency has lost more job than any others.
Speaker 2: Like Tony, I need my sheet with the job.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna give you fact, Give me fact.
Speaker 2: What's on the fact sheet?
Speaker 6: That fact sheet is that in my car?
Speaker 5: You know, in the fact sheet so close she had the real facts, but I think she left them at the wine store.
Speaker 6: People are stealing our election. It's obvious. This is the Star country.
Speaker 2: People are stealing our elections. Are they stealing the election because it's they're putting voter fraud? It's suspicion. How are they putting voter fraud?
Speaker 5: Department of Homeland Security said was the most secure election in Americans?
Speaker 2: Who is that? That's one guy like you and me, Brosif.
Speaker 6: You guys should do some research.
Speaker 2: There is massive voter froug as.
Speaker 1: The evidence is being demonstrated by Mike Lindell and others.
Speaker 2: To be clear, I think he goes by the pillow. Guy, what are your lies? Who do you trust? I trust the president? I think you said in the right direction. I trust Trump.
Speaker 6: I trust Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: I trust Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 5: Well, there's uh, there's uh okay.
Speaker 2: I trust Trump and what he says and what he knows. You know, I don't trust the media that much.
Speaker 5: So the only person you really believe is Donald Trump himself.
Speaker 2: Ah, That's not the only person I believe. Who else do you believe?
Speaker 7: I mean, ultimately, I believe Jesus is King and I believe the Bible.
Speaker 2: That's like two, yeah, Jesus and Trump.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I trust a lot of people, my friends, my family, Tucklecarlson, Jesus and Donald.
Speaker 2: Trump and more.
Speaker 1: I can go on and on.
Speaker 2: Are no, I think I can get the picture.
Speaker 5: People ask me lots of questions about my time at Trump Family's. Are the people I talk to real? Is what they say scripted? Do they agree to be interviewed? Was I ever close to getting my ass kicked? The answers are yes, no, sometimes, and oh boy, definitely. Here's a look behind the scenes at how the Maga sausage got made. All joy. Should we get closer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna here.
Speaker 5: This guy's got a loud majority shirt on.
Speaker 2: I saw them at the product. Let's grab him. Did I see you at a rally in Hershey? No, you weren't in Hershey, Harrisburg?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No your rally?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Starting to get DejaVu.
Speaker 5: Finding the right person to interview is a subtle art. You surveyed the scene looking for the perfect shirt, hat, sign, or you could just walk up to the lady with a megaphone.
Speaker 4: Here we go, Here we go, Trump train to Trump train too.
Speaker 6: We're covering to a tone near you.
Speaker 5: Many people wonder if we get permission to film them, and we do, which is apparently much harder than getting them to send surprise recurring donations to the Trump camp. Before I show this, I just need a signature, if that's right.
Speaker 6: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: No, he's in New York. He's doing this is tell me your name.
Speaker 5: I can play your name for Daily.
Speaker 3: Your sign r.
Speaker 2: Trevor know the Daily. You want to talk to earlier when he died. The release.
Speaker 6: I want to be a sign of release. You guys gonna ask me a bunch of dump trick questions. Say there was ten people here today.
Speaker 5: I want to know. I'm gonna you think. Sometimes these people are so enthusiastic they don't even wait for their turn to talk.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a conspiracy against the United States.
Speaker 9: Thousands of people tried to murder people inside that very built Sometimes their anti media anger is surprisingly personal.
Speaker 2: You're not I don't know what they are. Let's sake, I got I got some fans.
Speaker 5: You you're not a man of God, just like Trevor Noah.
Speaker 6: Great anti American.
Speaker 2: So they're a little bit upsets.
Speaker 5: They're a little bit upset here you can sell.
Speaker 1: Are you, guys the liberal medioc I have one word for you.
Speaker 6: You are controlled by the Deep States.
Speaker 5: That's like four or five six words, ten words. That's even two.
Speaker 2: That one's even too. But that's okay.
Speaker 5: Here's a moment when you might think the heated conversation is over, and at Amuga rally it rarely is.
Speaker 4: You got pa, you are great, lost by the top, and I have one work for you, picks.
Speaker 2: Asylum majority that's too worse. Yeah, yeah, we got five.
Speaker 5: But every so often the anger, the vitriol, and the combativeness melts away and we have a conversation that you could almost call civil.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your questions.
Speaker 7: You weren't you weren't feeding me these leading questions that I appreciate that well, very genuine and there were important questions too. I mean a lot of people don't. They're not asked to force to answer these sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the part we're going to use.
Speaker 7: Obviously I'm biased, but I'm trying to be more intellectually honest.
Speaker 2: I would say you're doing this all wrong.
Speaker 5: At this point, you're supposed to call me fake news and insult my testicles.
Speaker 7: There are some people in the news who give it a bad name, but I think there are good, honest journalists out there.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump is more than a president. He's even more than a man. He's a brand, a brand associated with power, opulence, and the cuts of meat you find next to foot messagers at the Sharper image. And no one loves the Trump brand more than a supporter's. Every Maga rally was a vast field of tasteful Maga merch, with bright colors and copyright violations as far as the eye could see. Here are just a few of my absolute faves. People say it's uncool to wear the merch of a band to their own concert, Well, those people have never been to a Trump rally.
Speaker 2: You don't see a mood and jeddj RB like this.
Speaker 5: Even a Kiya is tastefully adorned with like one bumper sticker? Is that a Trump hat on top of a cowboy hat? It's actually my dad's sort of like the Surducan of patriotism. Has this impeachment been fair?
Speaker 2: I think it's a joke.
Speaker 5: I just needed to build something as tough as Trump, so I made the Trumpet Eater, so ruthless, heartless automaton has come from the future to destroy our hope?
Speaker 2: Is that what's going on here?
Speaker 5: But like any unlicensed merchandise, sometimes the official branding messages can get lost. Why are you here?
Speaker 9: Well, because two weeks ago I had her dream, and in that dream, I was given this vision.
Speaker 5: You had, You had a screen printing dream. Your dream told you that Trump is gonna win, and then Avoka and then Don Junior and Eric Tiffany is going to win in twenty forty eight, and then Baron. Great, all right, but Barrett only serves one term. No, that's only one term. That's four years. Yeah, Actually these are mostly one term president.
Speaker 6: You're not rating it right for either.
Speaker 5: No, I'm twenty No, this is twenty four to twenty eight. That's four years and then another four No, no, no, that's these are one term presidents. Ivanka one term, Don Junior one term.
Speaker 6: Pay for Ivanka's what's the date?
Speaker 5: Ivanka is twenty twenty four and twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Eight, that's eight years. That's four years.
Speaker 5: No, you have a four year period, a year where somebody else gets elected. It doesn't say anything about re elected.
Speaker 2: It does it says.
Speaker 4: Has her getting elected in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty years?
Speaker 2: Math is drum No, my math is not like.
Speaker 5: And while these patriots love America, they do think that old glory could use a little jazzy. No, it's not the size of the flag that matters. That's how many votes you get the electoral college system.
Speaker 2: Everybody said, nothing standing on your flag.
Speaker 5: It's a big flag. Yeah, nose are not an American flag.
Speaker 2: The stars and strikes on a brother just appreciated me, don't.
Speaker 5: Yet it feels like it's mostly Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I'm scary appreciated if you don't stand.
Speaker 5: To be honest, If anybody's disrespected the flag, I think it's the ten foot high Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: But is that is that? Is that Trump? It's trump bot a Confederate flag.
Speaker 1: That's a Confederate flag. Yeah, you'll see that.
Speaker 2: Sing that what makes you still lift? Buddy? You don't know how to pick a winner. You might as well put a jets hat on.
Speaker 5: And the maga merch isn't just fun it's functional because on January sixth, it was a great way to identify all your fellow insurrectionists. I was worried that we were in trouble, but then I saw that we got the Tyranny Response team here, and I feel a lot better. Thanks for all you do.
Speaker 3: Look at your part.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not a joke. Look, you make a good point, but you are worried. You were at a one Now a onesie that is a flag.
Speaker 5: I suppose if you bought all of these flags and all of these garments, you gotta do something like this. I mean, they've been for this, at least startorially for years. What was the mood at a Trump rally. What was the feeling fun? Sure, camaraderie, yeah, or what else?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah? Rage?
Speaker 5: I watched it simmer at these rallies for years, then build during the campaign, and I was there on January sixth when it finally boiled over into the Capitol building. Here's what that awful day of interaction looked like on the ground, from the point of view of a guy who was just there to find some laughs.
Speaker 2: I'm here in the nation's Capitol.
Speaker 5: They're boarding up to some of the buildings here and I overheard a man in fatigue say they're worried about Antifa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's who they're worried about. Man in military fatigues.
Speaker 5: Being on the ground on January sixth was really unnerving from the very beginning. Given the night before the insurrection, when we checked into our DC hotel, we knew this was different. We overheard wild conversations in the lobby full of MAGA faithful Massless supporters claiming COVID stories of packed emergency rooms were lies and they were all in fact empty. Seeing a lot of cosplay here. There's military here, and then there's a lot of these people who are pretending to be military here. You know how, you know because they don't have badges, They just have notes from their wife that says you can go for the weekend and hang out with your friends, but be back on time. My producer wanted to ease into the interviews after seeing the charged crowd full of proud boys, oathkeepers, QAnon believers, and anyone else willing to toss aside our democracy. It's getting a bit hectic there, so I wanted to find some space. Luckily, there is some here at the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Then we spotted a group of Proud Boys appearing to leave the event, heading east toward the Capitol, well before Trump finished.
Speaker 2: His speech, Oh My, fight it out.
Speaker 5: We found filming on the National Mall was a safer, more effective way to get real conversations for a while. Then we found a man acting unhinged with a pitchfork. This is a warning.
Speaker 6: We can mobilize a million people that uned city in this country, now, make no mistake.
Speaker 1: That's the situation.
Speaker 2: That's right, man, We're not laying around.
Speaker 5: It was interrupted by a man acting more unhinged.
Speaker 4: How come we got a million people to the monument whenever there's where they're screwing us?
Speaker 6: How come that right over there?
Speaker 2: How come we're not down?
Speaker 6: You don't come down here? Congress all you all, mother, y'all.
Speaker 5: The really unhinged guy angered, the sort of unhinged guy wielding the pitchfork. I speaking myself, oy, he speaks of and he shut it down, and we're after him.
Speaker 2: The all go down, broad boys are hair.
Speaker 5: As we were setting up for a quick stand up, we noticed another large group marching aggressively down the street. The Proud boys all pass by again. We settled in a spot just outside the northwest side of the Capitol because we knew that at around one pm that angry crowd would be arriving there from the White House, and we knew that if things got hairy, it gave us the best escape route to the train in our cars. And then words became actions. The barricades got pushed over and folks flooded in. We're starting to see this massive people. They broke through the gate heare and now they're heading into the Capitol. I'm hearing people say it's our house. I heard some old man start screaming forward, forward, it's our us. Democracy should look more organized than what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: But we've been arguing. Now we have to do something else because it probably you can't put the game.
Speaker 1: It's time to go inside.
Speaker 5: The Trump supporters were getting up on the stairs, the fences and the embankments, barking at people, telling them where to go. Everyone turned into field generals, most of them wearing sweatshirts you buy at airports when you get cold waiting to board your flight. Bulks have pushed through and now they're heading into the Capitol. No violence other than shoving that down and carrying pitchforks. There's a mix of the scary and the absurd. Maga in a nutshell, there were the scary, O your voices today there were the absurd.
Speaker 2: I can I ask you some questions?
Speaker 5: Are you afraid if you run out of batteries for the last and then you'll be forwarded.
Speaker 2: Good luck? I hope you don't run into bumpy terrain or stairs.
Speaker 5: Personally, I don't think I'll ever forget talking to a man on a segwe who was attempting to topple the greatest democracy on earth.
Speaker 2: The Democrat Party.
Speaker 7: Progressive Socialist Marxists pose a far greater threat to this nation than any person on a battlefield.
Speaker 5: We looked around and we were shocked, but not surprised. The last fourteen months tipped it pretty good, the total distrust of facts and information, their cult like devotion not to their country or ideals, but to a person. Of course, they were gonna get here, and we knew it was time to leave. We continued listening to the escalating insurrection unfold, and the only place a comedy show should from the quiet car of an Asella rushing back to New York City. Of course, as we all know, the insurrection failed, Trump left office, and the MAGA supporters who aren't awaiting trial have returned to their hometowns and their old lives. But before I walked away from this story, I wanted to connect one more time with a Trump rallygoer, one on one, away from the cameras, an insult and sense of impending doom. So I caught up with Edward the debt collector to hear what he's up to. I've talked to hundreds or what feels like thousands of Trump supporters, and there's been a few folks who truly stand out like Edward.
Speaker 1: I'm literally making four times as much as I was making when Obama was president. What do you do? I worked for a debt relief company.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good to be a white debt relief collector. Besides being first atlanted at the Harrisburg, PA rally, he spent the better part of last year at rallies, on the local news and in the papers preaching the MAGA gospel.
Speaker 1: I truly believe that Donald Trump was sent by God.
Speaker 5: I wanted to see if the ultimate rally head had any misgivings post January sixth, then if there was any common ground we could stand on.
Speaker 2: Edward, I see you dressed down.
Speaker 1: I figured you want me fully deck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, were going to ask you to bring your Trump apparel, but I guess you didn't get the email. I'm gonna sit six feet away if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: That's all right. I got something under the mask.
Speaker 2: Do you what's under the mass?
Speaker 1: Vampire fang?
Speaker 5: You have vampire fangs.
Speaker 2: You literally have fangs.
Speaker 1: I got these fangs made for me professionally.
Speaker 5: It's been a chaotic year, so much anger, and I wanted to come back, kind of close that loop, connect with somebody who I had seen before, and get some sanity again.
Speaker 2: And you showed up with fangs.
Speaker 1: I'm a Bengal tiger. So then I started bringing the fangs around to the rallies, telling people I'm a tiger.
Speaker 5: He sees himself as an endangered species, which makes it remarkable that Eric or Don Junior haven't sniped him in a trophy hunt.
Speaker 1: I have been to fifty Trump rallies.
Speaker 5: You went to fifty Trump rallies, and I.
Speaker 1: Have spoken to the President from the stage a few times. It was really great. I mean he has recognized the beard. And at one of the rallies, I figure which one it was. I was near the front and he pointed me out. He said, there's that guy.
Speaker 2: Here's that guy. That's how he trug talks to his children.
Speaker 1: I think I'm seeing this guy all the rallies. He gets in the news a lot.
Speaker 5: You stay in touch with the old Maga crew people you run into the round.
Speaker 1: Of course, I've developed some lifelong friendships with the Maga crew.
Speaker 2: What's the Maga crew up to now? Avoiding subpoenas?
Speaker 1: I'm Jones, and I'm Jones, and you know. Trump rallies are great. I was depending on them was the high point of my life. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: I was at the last Trump rally and it was definitely not a lot of fun. What does he think about what happened at the Capitol on January sixth.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't support. I mean, let me put it to you this way. I don't think the way it's reported is what actually went down. I saw a different perspective. Nobody I knew was going there to overthrow the government or break into the Capitol building.
Speaker 5: Million Maga mart be there will be wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we had a fun look.
Speaker 5: But but you're literally wearing a shirt that that has intention on it, and the intention.
Speaker 1: Is I could sell it. But we had a wild time the first two We didn't cause any trouble. We had a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Is that when a president stands up and says, you need to fight for me, that they might.
Speaker 1: Literally we're playing semantic games.
Speaker 5: Now, you went there with the complete intention to disregard what Donald Trump said.
Speaker 1: Yes, whoever went into the Capitol building, these were not Trump fans, because nobody would have walked out in the speech. They broke in. He was still speaking for half an hour. Are those people, uh, well, you know, I've heard news reports that one of them was an integral member of Antifa. Whatever happened on January sixth, They meaning the people who don't like President Trump, the Democrats that Nancy Pelosi allowed this to happen.
Speaker 2: They were trying to kill Nancy Pelosi was.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you some of them, I think maybe are being unfairly persecuting. Yeah, the FBI came to my house after their ally.
Speaker 5: Well at least they're doing their It puts me a little bit of oh did you flip on anybody.
Speaker 1: I'll flip on anybody.
Speaker 2: Did you turn somebody in?
Speaker 5: You're running around for you right now?
Speaker 1: Of course I would. First, I wouldn't write nothing to flip because my point of view is peaceful. As the FBI asked me, they wanted to know if I reached the Capitol Building. I said, of course I didn't. I said that that would have been the stupidest thing in the world.
Speaker 5: But the guy that you pledged your life at Wardrobe to told you to essentially.
Speaker 1: He do exactly.
Speaker 5: So what's next after the violent insurrection that he doesn't think Donald Trump told them to do? Well, turns out they're just waiting for Donald Trump to tell them what to do.
Speaker 1: We're not giving up. You know, it's not over. We're coming back in what way? Uh? It depends on what the Boss tells us to do.
Speaker 5: Donate.
Speaker 2: I believe it was the last thing from up on eyes.
Speaker 1: I've donated a lot to him, you know purpose.
Speaker 5: Or you look at your bank account realize, oh shit, I guess that happened a well. I didn't want to leave without finding some common ground with Edward. He previously described Trump as a superheroin a rock Star, but had Edward come back to the reality that the president of the United States is mortal who's not impervious to criticism and technically works for us.
Speaker 1: You've seen braveheart, of course, everybody he's seen brave heart.
Speaker 5: I have seen bredon.
Speaker 1: Yes, Donald Trump is our William Wallace. That's right.
Speaker 5: I mean maybe they both do wear a lot of making.
Speaker 1: Maybe they drew him and quartered him metaphorically, but he left behind a very strong, vocal and patriotic force of people.
Speaker 2: You know what, I want to find a middle ground here. How about this Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: I don't see him as your William Wallace, but he has a lot like mel Gibson.
Speaker 2: All right, can we agree on that?
Speaker 1: I'll give you that.
Speaker 5: I knew we'd find some common ground. I guess some ground is better than no ground.
Speaker 2: So that's it.
Speaker 5: The Maga Rally journey is over, and President Trump's ending is not unlike that of the ancient king Ozymandius, his wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command looking across this vast emptiness that was once his empire.
Speaker 2: Look on his works, you mighty and despair.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I'm just gonna stay here so I can be first in line. When the Rally start up again in twenty twenty three, or when Don Junior runs in twenty eight I'll always be here.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: This is my life now, Thanks Joe Biden.
Speaker 7: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast