Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning.
Speaker 2: This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Lauren Smith Brodie to Before Breakfast. Lauren is the founder of the Fifth Trimester movement, also the author of a book by that name. It's all about helping parents navigate the transition back to work.
Speaker 1: She's also had a.
Speaker 2: Long career in the women's magazine world as well. Lauren, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, Laura, so nice to be with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: So, I am definitely a multi hyphen it as you said, I came out of media, originally wrote a book looking at the experiences of returning to paid work after maternity leave for more than seven hundred moms that's called the Fifth Trimester.
Speaker 3: And then I turn that into a business, so I help companies do a better job of supporting and retaining those new moms, but also all moms, all dads, anybody doing elder care, really, anyone across the five generations of caregivers who are currently in the workforce and helping them, also doing research to understand the economic value of supporting those workers.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and you have a family yourself as well.
Speaker 3: I do, indeed, Yes, In fact, I have one who just walked in the door coming home early from school with neurovirus.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the worst friend.
Speaker 3: Work, travel this week, and big family vacation at the end of the week, and just cross your fingers for me. Yeah, I have teenagers. So I have a fourteen year old and a seventeen year old. They're in eighth grade and eleventh grade, and we live in New York City. Also have a husband, and I have an extremely needy rescue dog who is lying on my bed looking at me right now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, between that and the Nora virus, who knows what's going to happen in the next twenty f I've met us.
Speaker 3: She's got like a stomach issue, the dog like it's you know, we're just all about the gas intestinal We're going to.
Speaker 1: Buckle up for that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, tell us a little bit about you know, the fifth trimester and what you've found. Yeah, that like, as people, what do people who do well with the transition back to work. We'll start with people themselves and then we'll move to organizations. But when people make that transition back and do it successfully, what do they tend to do differently?
Speaker 3: I really actually I love the way that you ask that question because what I've realized now, so it's almost ten years since I did that original research looking at people's return to paid work after leave, and the research I've done since then is on sort of early and mid year parenting and the support that you may have at work or not have for that kind of caregiving identity. And then I also did a white paper more recently with a menopause care company called Midi Health looking at what happens when workers have support for menopause at work, and all of those things I realized as I was trying to connect the dots are really about the subset of people who have made it work, who had the support to made it work, to make it work. There are obviously incredibly important and accurate headlines about attrition of women in the workforce, very negative headlines about the impact of all of these sort of life transitions and caregiving on women's hopes and ambitions and careers. I like to look at what's possible. So with the fifth trimester, before I knew that's what I was doing, I was looking at specifically these women who had come back and maintained their careers. And we know that about thirty percent thirty to forty percent depending on which study you're looking at, of new moms leave their jobs within about a year of having that baby. And these were the ones who stayed, or at least who stayed in their careers. And what did they do to reframe and redefine ambition and success in those moments to hopefully get out of some of the things they were over delivering on in their job previously so that they could then make room to keep growing or just to tread water. Treading water needed to be okay for a lot of people, to a lot of them were really deliberate about asking for the help they needed and for those who weren't able to a lot of what I researched and looked into was how do you convince people to be okay asking for the help and support you need? And often that comes down to understanding the business case for retaining them. So it feels like obviously the moral and ethical case should be enough, but very often in order to go into some of those negotiations as new parents asking for things for the first time, it's really helpful just to understand the numbers behind the economy of supporting parents. And so that's what I've done with a lot of my work since then.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So basically that people who do it well are okay with asking for what they need.
Speaker 1: Is that what I'm understanding you to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I guess it really boils down to something that simple. It's also it's really it's being open to sort of a new normal. It's understanding that although you may be quite good at the job that you do, you are a brand new at being a working parent, and so you're going to need some grace in transition, and really understanding that there is in fact a whole additional fifth trimester. So in America, most parents are going back to work usually at between like eight and twelve weeks postpartum. There's no federally protected paid parental leave, and so those who can are able to take and have access to it are able to take twelve weeks of unpaid FMLA, but looking at the research when you actually understand where that came from, twelve weeks is totally arbitrary, and what it takes to actually get new moms in particular over the hurdle is you really want to have six months of paid leave, which feels like pine the sky for most workers in America. So what can you do as a worker to bridge that gap? First of all, not being so hard on yourself, understanding that if it feels hard at eight weeks or twelve weeks, that that's not because of anything you're doing wrong. It's just this idea that we have normalized something that is abnormal compared to the rest of the world. It was actually FMLA, federally protected unpaid leave, was passed into law by Bill Clinton in nineteen ninety three. I want to say, who I might get there wrong? I think it's ninety three, and it had been proposed for nine years prior to that. And when it was originally proposed, it was supposed to be six paid months, which I think a lot of people don't realize. But even back then, we knew that six months was most protective of mom's physical health, mom's mental health, baby's physical health, datter partner's bond with the baby, mom's ability to maintain her income, and her status at work, all those things, and yet we ended up with the sort of band aid placeholder that was supposed to be improved upon that so far has not been except in several states where it has been, except by private companies where it has been. But then you have to have a job at one of those companies. So anyway, there's this whole I think that this is where the root of mom guilt comes from, working mom guilt, in particular that you know, if you go back and it feels hard, there must be something wrong with you. No, not at all. So instead the real advice is to link arms with others who have similar needs and to call out and see the business case behind calling out the needs you have, because if you help your employer help you, you're ultimately creating a better culture and a more profitable company. So it's really that reframe and then how you apply that, like you can apply that in you know, like the ways that you ask for flexibility in your day. And I have sort of whole negotiation tactics around that in how you how you organize your mornings, how you organize your childcare, how you sort of orient your feelings about that childcare, like how you make child care decisions in a way that ultimately helps you feel good, which then comes back to your child. Anyway, all the research had been sort of previously focused very much on what's good for baby. I like to look at what's good for mom, because when you look at what's good for mom, ultimately that's good for baby too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's let's talk about that negotiation.
Speaker 2: Let's say that you would like a slightly more flexible schedule when you when you come back.
Speaker 1: What are how how would you propose doing that?
Speaker 3: So the first step is a pre step, which is really it's convincing yourself. And this is what I spend if I like get on a screen or stand on a stage and talk to an audience, you know, for an hour. So much of what I'm doing and sharing all of these data points and research and the numbers is to help fill up your pockets, right, Like pretend you have on cargo pants, Like fill up your pockets with everything you need so that you feel like I have I can go into these these negotiations, feeling really really sturdy in what I'm asking for, knowing that it's not just for me, you know, as a as a needy person myself, for my little family, but it's something that is ultimately better for my employer. It makes me you know that you can look at kind of how your employer compares to other employers in the area or other employers in your field, and look at you can either make the case that they need to be doing more because others are doing more so to keep up, or you can make the case that actually, like they're doing the most and they need to maintain that in order to maintain their sort of their lead of retaining retaining new moms. So convince yourself and then you want to have a really firm sense. This is so basic, but you just want to know what your job description is you and not believe how many people don't actually like can't stop and think, like, what is what are the five things that are on my job description? And I guarantee you you're doing twenty five hundred things because so many of us like outgrow what we're doing and we're really comfortable with the old stuff and we add the new things and we get promoted and we take the new stuff on and we don't ever get rid of the old. And that's how you find the time that you ultimately are going to need to be able to have the white space in your day to keep growing, to keep feeling like you can breathe, to have time for networking and connecting and business development and all the things that sort of keep your career moving on that upward track. So research outside, then research inside the company what policies are already available that you may not be using. Then go in with a sense of what your job description is and propose a plan, but also have a plan being a plan see that fulfill that job description. Then you can also propose, this is sort of the last step to try it, just propose a trial period because particularly if you're a new mom, but really in kind of many stages of caregiving, your needs are going to change within a month, within two months, and so you want to have this sort of a continuum of conversations, not just a one and done. And this way you end up actually sort of showing the service you're providing, like they're giving you something you need, but you are you're the test case you're helping them see what works what doesn't work, and communicating in a sort of naturally open fashion that just buys people's trust.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Laurence Smith Brody. Well, I am back talking with Laurence Smith Brody of the fifth trimester and talking about how people can successfully transition back.
Speaker 1: To work after paid leave.
Speaker 2: You mentioned something interesting there of sort of looking at exactly what your job description is and getting sort of back to the core of your job description as a way to free up white space in your day, and not just white space for emergencies, but white space for growing and trying new things.
Speaker 1: Wonder if you could elaborate on that a little bit and why that's important.
Speaker 3: This is like, I have a feeling you relate to this. But so often we write about the things that we need ourselves, and I think it was like how many days in a row that I took a shower and then immediately ran out of the shower and dripping wet, wrote down the idea that I'd had, like the to do list thing that hadn't made it onto my list, and I realized if you are doing all of your like good thinking in the shower, like you need to have some space on your calendar for shower time. That's actually just like you at your desk or computer or couch or wherever you do your work. And so yeah, you need to be able to build that time in. It also communicates, sort of counterintuitively, when you aren't the person answering the emails late late at night, if you can schedule send for the next day, it communicates the sense of power and control that you have over your life and schedule that then you sort of boom brains back to you. You feel it, but you also project it, and people only treat you as well as you treat yourself. So if you can save some of that space, not only do you have the space, but you look like someone who like has their crap together enough to be able to have time to make a connection. That's lovely to be able to, you know, make time to go have a coffee or to post something on LinkedIn. How many times do we see somebody post something on LinkedIn and you think, oh my gosh, how did it? I never like, it's the thing I just did. The last thing on my list. Well, they must have to do something right if it's something that made it on jitter list and they actually did it that day, So be that person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, try to avoid the hot mess vision of the life, all right.
Speaker 1: And I say this as.
Speaker 3: A person who's like made a second career out of vulnerability and like being a little bit of a mess and comfortable with that because we can't fix things. We can't fix challenges we can't see, and so like, yes, have a spit up on your sweater and tell people that's what it is. Or you know, if you're exhausted and stumbling over your words, go ahead and say I didn't sleep last night, Because what that says is not I'm weak and I didn't sleep last night, But like I have a whole life beyond here, and I still showed up. I'm still here because this is still important too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I heard somebody recently having a discussion about one of the ways you can kind of stay in is to.
Speaker 1: Consider being a good employee for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great you know, top of the pile, but like if you've been an A plus worker for a while, it might be an a minus kind of person for for a year or two as you're hanging in there and knowing that it is, by the way, is still an A, which is still an A and is you know, from the retention perspective, probably better your A minus is it's going to take a new hire a long time to get up to that A minus, yes, but kind of convincing yourself to be okay with that for for a little.
Speaker 3: While, Yeah, I think that all. There's another aspect to that, which is also that you know, it's a little bit like if you heard the concept of the good enough mother. This is like I think it's from the seventies maybe, but it's It was a sociologist named with correct me from Witcott Witcomb who looked at as you researched that if you're too good of a mom, it's actually not great for your kids. You want to be like you want to be like a B plus a minus because it teaches them independence, It teaches them how to do things for themselves and how to advocate, and that life is not perfect, and it's actually ultimately builds a sturdy or stronger kid. So I think about that a lot, and I think about it in the context of the paid work that we do too, because yeah, like we are sort of many of us, particularly you know, once by the time you've like climbed the ladder enough to get to where you want to achieve, it's like we're so programmed to over deliver, we're programmed to want to succeed, and you have to realize that actually part of your job is to manage, and managing means letting go of some things and letting other people learn how to do them or teaching them how to do them. I mean, it's just delegating. But actually, in the context of feeling like you're delegating because you now have a family to take care of, feels like your giving up. But the truth is, even if you didn't have the kid, you would be in that inflection point anyway where you have to learn to start me and teaching other people to do things, and so freeing up that time for yourself ultimately is a power move.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And there's also something I've heard and people try, which is that I know a lot of a plus employee people as well have a tendency to want to ask permission for everything, like to get my flexible program in formal writing or that I'm officially doing an eighty percent schedule as opposed to just like leaving twenty.
Speaker 3: Percent and getting your job done.
Speaker 1: And getting your job done, I'm curious what you think about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that's that can be such a good point because from an HR perspective, you know, a lot of the people I work with are in talent in HR. As soon as you have a policy, you have to make people comply to the policy, as opposed to if you just have people who find a way of being grown ups and getting their job done in a different time frame, different style, different location, that can be okay. Where it gets tricky is that, you know, we find that people are more able to be flexible with themselves if they you know, if they're privileged in some way. So you want to make sure that you know you aren't, that you're not imbalanced, and who you let do what you know. Essentially, that's why you want to come back to the job description. You just want to make sure that people are doing the jobs they're hired to do. And if that's done, I mean, and part of your job might be showing up for the team meeting and mentoring and being around physically that could be part of your job. But yeah, it's it's sometimes the policies actually are more detrimental than not, which is which is surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's that's kind of life.
Speaker 2: But we're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Laurence Smith Brodie. Well, I am back talking with Laurence Smith Brodie of the fifth trimester. So, Lauren, I'd like to pivot to you here, Yeah, talk about how you work. Let's let's talk about your schedule. Do you have any routines that you think make you more productive? In particular more routine.
Speaker 3: I do, So I think I have learned to work with my brain, which is very much a brain that is on from about ready three pm to eleven pm. It's so bad for a parent because like that's when my kids walk in the door and when I want to be with them. So what I've learned to do is to do sort of the low hanging fruit stuff first. Actually to not be a eat the frog for breakfast person, but I recommend that for others who neworks form. But I will get up, get my kids out the door, walk the dog, come back in. Still while I'm in either my pajamas or my workout clothes. I will do like the three emails that if I don't do them that day will just haunt me the whole day and sit over my head and be the thing I avoid. So get those done quickly. They're not usually hard. They're just like the thing that needs to get out in order to move somebody else to the next step on something. Then I will try to exercise. Oh no, wait, wait, before that, I have a group chat with my mom, my sister and my dad. I'm sure you hear this a lot, and we do. We do wordle, and we do connections, and I am like, the best thing that I am at my entire life is connection. So I feel like an immediate sense of like pride all day long, no matter how the rest of it goes. Then I do a little workout, and when I say little, I mean super little. I do like a peloton fifteen minute or twenty minute like weightlifting thing, and I feel really good. And then then I start my meetings. So sometimes I will have clients and who I'll meet with as early as you know, eight or nine. AM happy to do that. But a great day is when where I start like actual on screen meetings or on phone meetings. At ten, I usually eat a late lunch. Ah wait, there was eating in there too. I have the same I make myself the same smoothie every day again like a little bit, because like if I get vitamins and protein at breakfast, like then I kind of the rest of the day is fine, and I try to do something social in the day, whether it's just a quick phone call with a friend or or actually like turning a meeting into a walking meeting with with somebody who's I have a lot of colleague friends. I'm very, very lucky to be at a stage of life where like, first of all, I work for myself and work from home. Secondly, like so many people I work with I can that are friends, and so many friends I've found ways to work with, so I try to take advantage there and double dip on that. There's always a load of laundry going. I have a feeling it's the same at your house. And then I really like to cook dinner every night. I love the sort of book ending of my day and the cooking part. Sometimes there's some work that happens afterwards, but my kids come home and generally are doing their homework while I'm wrapping up my meetings. I usually do meetings until about six six thirty, sometimes seven, and then we have a late dinner. My husband has a commune, gets home around seven thirty or eight, and we sit together every night like they're at an age now where like anybody who doesn't have that in their life yet, like you may get there one day and it's awesome. So I highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, when do you do that thinking the shower, thinking that you said you were trying to push out of the shower into other points of your life.
Speaker 1: When does that seem to happen?
Speaker 3: That's a good call out. So often that will happen on whatever the social thing is. You know, I have really really like sort of purposefully blurred the lines, and so so I don't have friend conversations that don't also include some of what I'm working on. And also I forgot to say this, but a big part of what I work on is my public policy work through a nonprofit that I co founded called the Chamber of Mothers. So all of that is like donated time, but it's with colleagues, but they're also very much friends and so there will be a lot of sharing of ideas and just helping each other that happens then and so often that will spark something that will either inspire me to then like go put time on my calendar the next day to follow through on something, or it will just like it will happen in the meeting. It happened this morning. We had an idea in a meeting that we just ran with and now each of us sort of has our own creative role that we're taking on it. And that feels like that white space to.
Speaker 1: Me, excellent.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a couple of great ideas in there that I just wanted to call out, like one having.
Speaker 1: This family group chat. Doing a game.
Speaker 2: Together can be a fun way to start the day and stay connected with people, but while doing something so it's not just are what are you up to?
Speaker 1: I don't know what are you up to?
Speaker 2: And then working with friends that I know. Some people do like to have separation between work and life, but there's some wonderful upsides when you can arrange for it to have a person who you would voluntarily spend time with. It be someone that you are spending time.
Speaker 1: With while on the clock.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Yes, so Laura, I ask all my guests, what is something you've given us already?
Speaker 3: Some?
Speaker 2: But what are some What is something you've done recently to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 3: Actually? Have I have a really good example for this? Maybe maybe not. I have a feeling you have a lot of people who answer that question with Laura. I took a walk, but like like I took the best walk of my freaking life.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's like a nap. There are some good naps or some great naps.
Speaker 3: Walk.
Speaker 1: There's some good walks about you know, amazing.
Speaker 3: There's okay, there's some contacts that makes it make more sense. So I head this is last week. My dad is very ill and lives far My parents live far away that I'm in New York there in Atlanta, so a plane right away. But I've been trying to get home every at least once a month for a couple of nights, and I've had some I was on Capitol Hill the week before that for my nonprofit. I have work travel tomorrow for a fifth trimester. So I'm just I have like seven weeks in a row of travel and I don't want to give anything up of all the other things I'm doing because I need the income from my paid work, and my children are teenagers, and I'm having this feeling of this like window is closing, like they actually sometimes want to spend time with me, and I'm like, yes, I'll drop everything to spend time. So all of that is context to say Sunday night, Monday night, I was in Atlanta caring for my dad, extremely heavy but really really fulfilling conversations, like lots of I left the trip with a draft of his obituary that he wants me to work on with his best friend. So then that meeting was scheduled like really heavy but important and so simultaneously kind of I feel bad calling it heavy, like like very very meaningful things. Get home to LaGuardia at like five, get home to our apartment by six, immediately get on the Q train with my son because we have tickets on a Tuesday night, which is really unusual, to go to a concert for a band that he really likes in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Mood.
Speaker 3: I haven't slept in three nights at this point. I mean, I put my head on the pillow, but I didn't sleep well. So we go to Brooklyn for the concert. We get home from that at midnight. I wake up the next morning and I am just emotionally and physically beyond. And I'm at a point in life now where I could just tell my kids, get your own breakfast. Kids, I'm going to go back to bed, but I just I wanted to see them. So I got up, did the thing that I told you about earlier, take the dog out. It's one of these like weirdly warm days. And I was like, you know what, this is a perfect walk day, except I have a really important quarterly check in with one of my anchor clients, a law firm. I like, in like an hour and fifteen minutes, I had a meeting with my dad's best friend to like actually discuss the points of what's going to be in life memorial for him. And then I had a couple clients in the afternoon. I just really have time, and I was like, Okay, so what can I do. I'm going to not shower and get dressed from my quarterly meeting. I'm on a zoom. I can put on my eyebrows, put on lipstick, put on a sweater. They would never know, so I'm gonna do that. So I sort of immediately made that call. Then I went for the walk and I did it with my vest, my middle aged lady waited vest, which felt really good. Weather's great. I didn't wear sunglasses because years ago, as psychiatrist said to me, like make sure the sunlight actually hits your eyeballs because it helps your It's not just vitamin D. It's actually serotonin or something. Don't put me I don't know which. And so I'm doing all the things and then I'm like feeling bad that I haven't actually really read everything that I need to read about what is going on in the Middle East right now. So I like put on the daily for the last two days and I'm doing that. I'm answering emails while I'm doing the walk. It's not what you're supposed to do, right, it is not zone out take a walk time. I like, somebody asked for a favor in the middle of it. I scheduled the favor on my calendar. As I'm on the walk, and I'm thinking, you know what, this is the best walk I've ever had because it's not what it's supposed to be, and yet it's making you feel so so good. And I've been talking a lot. I was preparing at the time, sort of in my mind what I was going to say on a webinar that I was booked to do like two days later. And I have two ideas. One is just resentment proof. I talk all the time about how you should make decisions with your own lack of resentment in mind, Like, you don't want to resent your job, your your partner, your boss, your children. Worst of all, you really don't want to resent yourself. So how can you make a decision that like like sort of forecasts feeling good about this? And then the idea of being comfortable with your compromises. That walk was an exercise and comfort with my compromises. I was compromising all kinds of ways, and that I realized is the goal. The goal is not perfection, The goal is not like a balanced life. The goal is being comfortable with your compromises. And I was like, look at me living the thing. Now. I know what I'm going to say on Laura's podcast.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I love it. I love it for sure. Well, Lauren, where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Oh? So you can just email me. It's Lauren at the fifth time spelled out, or I'm on LinkedIn as Lauren Smith. Brodie Smith is my middle name, but I use all the names and I'm on Instagram. The fifth trimester is my account there and again it's the spelled out version and come find me. I would love to meet anybody. And if you want me to come to your business and help them do a better job of retaining you, just let me know.
Speaker 1: This sounds good?
Speaker 2: All right, well, Lauren, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura, Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia.
Speaker 2: More podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.