Speaker 1: Y know.
Speaker 2: What's happening is your hombo mystical pony check me out on the Bootleg cav podcast. You already know what it is.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all. Before we get into the episode, we gotta do this. We just dropped these T shirts to celebrate five hundred episodes of the bootle cap podcast. Yes, this is out, little daytona five hundred vintage flip. All five hundred episodes are on the back. Yes, you can do the gray or you can just go black. The black is fire too. So look, if you go right now man bootleg cab dot Com and you cop yourself a five hundred epis T shirt, I'm gonna throwing a pair of socks. We got the Bootleg CaMV odd Socks. You already know the Bootleg Cab podcast sponsored by odd Socks, so it's only right we're throwing a pair of odd socks for every T shirt sold. So Bootleg cab dot Com, thank you everybody for supporting five hundred episodes. Let's get into the next one right now. Come on, yo, Bootleg Cab Podcast. Man special guests in here, legend man pony.
Speaker 2: Like, what's happening all me? How you doing big man like a villain. You know.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. When I was like coming up in radio, some of the first events I would work in Phoenix was like.
Speaker 2: The low Rider shows. Okay, yeah, yeah, the Lowrider shows up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the at the at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in the parking lot, and y'all had the fucking High Power fucking records tents on tents on tents on tents selling all kinds of shit.
Speaker 2: Oh, twenty thirty racks, a tent Magan, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was crazy, like uh and then like my first like so I came up in the Swap Meet slanging mixtapes and ship when I was like sixteen seventeen and there was a record store in Phoenix slowing.
Speaker 2: Over slow Load. Yeah, I remember another one.
Speaker 1: But these folks always was snitch on me.
Speaker 2: Oh they had a.
Speaker 1: Tent at the Swap Meet too, but they were selling mostly oldies in Chicago rapp and I was selling like everything. But yeah, you guys are like kind of like man, high Power Records. You guys had a I mean fucking that's like kind of ground zero for a lot of this shit. It's happening right now.
Speaker 2: If you talk about independent though, that was real independent shit, you know, like people like, oh I'm independent. That was like independent really put in work creating markets. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: What year was the origin of High Power?
Speaker 2: Early two thousands? Like two thousands, so I know, I came out of jail like ninety eight, ninety nine, can recall exact dates. And then I started working on music. I went to Odm's studio a Lot.
Speaker 1: Of Shit a brown Yeah, so that was one of my first podcasts started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was one of my first breakthroughs to get into the music game. So when I went over there, blah blah, you know, it took while. The story, it's a long story, but eventually I got my music out. And once I got my music out, early two thousands was I'm starting and then building a brand and artists and just everyone elevated to me.
Speaker 1: You know, So how many artists at a like would you say, all together have you guys had.
Speaker 2: On the label? I mean there was a lot fifty plus, you know what I'm saying, fifty plus and some you know, legends in the game. When Little Flip had his big song Sunshine after that we did three four projects with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to get you.
Speaker 2: I want to Yeah, there's so much shit. Yeah, there's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Like random ship where I'd be like high power records. Yeah, but I definitely, you know, just I feel like it's it's interesting too because like fast forward to today and it's like being a Mexican rappers like probably the it's probably the I mean in terms of just like the amount of success. You know, Mexican. Oti's got multi platinum records. Uh, Lefty Gun plays on the Kendrick album. Like, it's just a great time in hip hop to be Mexican. Would you say this is like the the most at least commercially, Baby Bash had a way, you know because Bash had like cyclone and he had number one records. But in terms of like, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's coming back to where it was so when I know, the thing we didn't have what they have now is podcast and the internet is the Internet. So now just a regular John could go and start a podcast and he could get it out there and people are gonna share it and clip it. We're in our times. It was just you have to be on the streets exactly. That was a podcast. You got to be on the streets in the jungle, you know, with all kinds of players and do it where Now today you got a camera. You could be at a house, let me interview you, and you're getting your voice out. So on that.
Speaker 1: Note, it's not easier to put music out there.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's easier to put music out.
Speaker 1: You got to get printed up and find it a distribution and yeah, yeah exactly, and then you're sitting on the overhead of all your CDs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one. You had to be hands on those days. You have to be either you're in it or you're not. You either have to be a rapper that's really twenty four to seven living the life, or you just different, right, you're like basically whatever. So nowadays you could do a side job, be a rapper on the side, and if you blow up, you could do it part time, going to interviews whatever. You know. People nowadays are multitasking, but in those days it was either do or die. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's because you guys are part of a while era where it was like you guys doing the super gangster like South Side of Shit, and then you had guys like MC magic and mb rioders doing like their thing, and you guys would be at the same fucking shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was a mix of both sides, you know what I'm saying. So I had the sauce for the community, for the love jahs, for the ladies, but then also I was raised a little bit different or on the gangster side, so I personally was that kind of guy, and but people that I was helping out were also from the hoods and the stripers.
Speaker 1: Remember when I was like, see y'all's posters and shit, I'd be like, these fools look like crazy ass folds just got out of prison, like fucking with the tattoos and.
Speaker 2: No shirts and shiite.
Speaker 1: You guys had a fucking wave though. Man, it's crazy too, because like you've kind of done so much over the years in terms of just who you've worked with. You know, I know you've done stuff with Whiz and the Migos, and you know, over and over you mentioned a little flip thing. How did explain to me the business model and how these random albums came to be, specifically with certain members of Bone Thugs and Harmony, Because there were some times where I was like, yo, is fucking Busy Bone or Lazy Bone signed to High Power Records because you guys were dropped.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, we were just dropping look at it. So man, we were killing this so hard in the game that eventually we had distribution going through Universal. We had distribution, like everybody was coming up. We had like gu and like different labels, big labels were coming at us. But look, you gotta understand those days. I was a hood full too in a way, so I didn't understand the La Hollywood meet. At four o'clock at Capitol Records, I got an email. I'm like, yo, I don't even check my emails, you know what I'm saying. So we were just so focused and kicking up dust that we took it through a distroll and the records were hitting. Everything that I was doing was basically charting, so I'm like, damn, I'm charting so good. So all my money that I would make, I was like, let's put on some other people boom. So I put on other homies and then eventually I was like, yo, I can get the biggest artists right now. The numbers were doing. I could sign whoever's one of the top dogs and then Little Flip was coming off his label. He was independent, he had yeah, so we worked out some deals with him. Bone obviously were legends in the past, like they're they're real humble dudes we worked with. I mean, the list kept going on sugar Free, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it would be like you would have like this High Power Records presents and then you know, like it, but you would think, like damn liked did these fools get out of their deal? Or like, were you guys just doing like one off like we're yeah, we're doing like, Yo, here's a bag for an album whatever.
Speaker 2: Because I wasn't a real label, a real label, and those days were like an office in downtown LA with twenty people.
Speaker 1: Essentially like yo, an album, here's a bag.
Speaker 2: Whatever I make of this is me move forward exactly like what I might got royalties that month of I'm just making a fake number two hundred k boom, I was, okay, let me just dish this out to new artists that I could do deals with. I was. I was trying to you know, I was trying to get at snoop to do a problem I was ready to do with anyone. But you know, it was hard because we're on the streets, they're doing their things at the shows. But whoever we got access to we cut the deal and everybody said, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you guys are making it. Hadn't been making a ton of money.
Speaker 2: Though, man, I mean we were just yeah, we were kids. It was all independent, independent, bro, I mean that shit was that shit. We were ahead of the time. We were really independent. Like only other guy I could see that did it the right model was those guys in Kansas City Strange Music, and they got hundred buses and they did their thing. But other than that, we were doing the same thing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys had a whole like roster, Yeah, building up like who would you say, outside of yourself was the most successful artists that you guys produced.
Speaker 2: We did a lot of I mean, Dan, there were so many people we had, Like it was just sometimes it was random compilations. We would put something called like Gangster Love, you know, and then it would be all tracks that are for the ladies, but Gangster Wise, you know, and that shit would sell like half a million records. You know what I'm saying, Like, what the hell? Right? So it was just random even shit that would that's going. It was just the concept of everybody was on that movement, so there was not no rat. Everybody's numbers was just going up and up and and eventually, you know, it gets watered down in time with artists. But it was mostly that and some of the big artists that we had in the game.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Yeah, because I know you got I mean, did you get you guys? I mean Criminal?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Criminal was one of the big guys. So Criminal was one of the I knew his homies from his hood. He basically, did you guys ever work with Night Out? No? We never worked with night or No.
Speaker 1: I just remember. I just remember like, yeah, you guys, I just remember that.
Speaker 2: Like and then Criminal was popping and then he was Then eventually he started stepping up where he did everything good. So I was like, look, we're gonna put Nake Dog on your record, putting Ake Doog on his record. He had Fat Joe on his record. We got Fat Joe. I mean, like the list goes on. And he started working with Busy Bonet and producing a lot of albums, so it was like whoever was bubbling to the top. I was like, we're gonna double down on it.
Speaker 1: You know, is all that catalog still in your possession?
Speaker 2: Oh that's the thing. It wasn't crazy because I like, I don't want to say numbers, but there was like and the millions was old right at one time and it wasn't in my possessions and I had to get get it back. But take Big o' l and eventually so some of them went over here someone there. So it's a little bit mixed up, you know what I'm saying, not.
Speaker 1: Like in terms of like just I mean, think about all those projects, all the scenes you guys had, Like, is that those are all still high power records?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's still yes.
Speaker 1: And are they on like DSP's and all that all the old ship.
Speaker 2: Or some of them DSP would like like Spotify, Yeah, they're all Yeah, everything's up there to so all the music is out there still going crazy some old records. I see the numbers still running like crazy numbers. I'm like, damn, you know, just algorithms.
Speaker 1: I remember. The craziest thing is when I found out you were from Pakistan. Yeah, it was like finding out the Santa Claus was real. I'm like, wait a minute, this was not Mexican.
Speaker 2: Yeah off on KPK yeah yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's been out for over a decade. It's old news. What I thought was dope, though, was to see you stand for Palestine. Yeah, because yeah, you know, you put out the Free Palestine record.
Speaker 2: I mean I've been standing for any community like I've been standing for the Mexican community. I've been standing for Palestine, you know, Like to me, I don't look at you know what I'm saying. I've stood up for many different things. And with the Palestine thing, that was deep. So you know what's good right now? Palestine got their freedom And I was like, bro, like this is a small place. They're doing all kinds of crazy things to these people. Like someone got to stand up, you know what I'm saying. So I don't know, I just I knew the history of what's going on, so I had to speak on it, you know. For you?
Speaker 1: Was it? Uh? When it like it hit kind of because you never really like hid your background, but you'd also never really put it out there. Yeah, when it kind of got out there more and more that you were like Middle Eastern, do you feel like like was the blowback easy to deal with?
Speaker 2: Well? No, I mean, look, first of all, central agents, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Not technically right by.
Speaker 2: All that, you know, like it's all it's all you know, it's.
Speaker 1: This Pakistan, India, Thailand. I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Think, Yeah, that's South Asia. And then you go up there's China, but you go leftist gassing ta Jikistan or the borders Kazakhstan where Boxer Triple G's from, uh you know, Kabeev and all them, Dagistan, so you know, just all the Stan areas, but it's considered South central however, it's but it's not really Middle East, you know what I'm saying. So all the people like he Middle Eastern Armenian, I get all kinds of names, you know, but it is what it is, iron tripping, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you been back?
Speaker 2: Uh nah, because I haven't been back, man, because Ship and I need, I need to do a whole documentary out there.
Speaker 1: Dude, if you went out there a K's and ship, it should be crazy. Yeah. Yeah, so you ended up you grew up in West Covina when you ended up coming to La right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, West Covina. Lot wented. Then I moved out to the Inland Empire and I got to Inland Empire. Then when I start coming up in the music, I start living out there in Mariloma, Corona, and then I moved.
Speaker 1: To La Was was it always in the cars for you to do music or was it something that you just try to pick it up because said you were incartrated, got out and started.
Speaker 2: You know in the hood. You know, I was known in the hood to rap me my homeboy Peanut. I had a hombaye Peanut. I had a homeboy Scrappy, A couple of homies. We used to always mess around. So we went to like house parties in different hoods and DJs will be there. We'll just fuck around representing our hoods. So it was always in the dna of rapping, but not to the level of like next level to be on you know, TV or you know. It was just hood shit. And then eventually when I was inside, like you know, like to me, you know, when you're inside, you got a lot of time, a lot of exactly. So when I'm in there, I'm like, you know, what if Because I was real focus on the gangster shit, right, I was very deep devoted into representing the hood shit. But when I was in there, I was like man, you know what if I get out if something positive, because you think positive, everybody thinks somehow like you get out the I'm like, man, if I could rap, that'd be dope, right. That was my intentions thinking. And then I remember a guy in the same theater, on the same thing. He was talking about rap. He's like, yeah, I have to go on tours. This guy slow Pain, like I would hear him every day talk about rap game. I was like, man, if I got that chance, I'm gonna run with it. And then something came in my mind, if you ever get that chance, don't.
Speaker 1: Ever make sure you take it, don't take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: So when I got to ODEM, that was that was the memory for Jill, like this is that connection?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it was like Lightership, the Brown Kid, Frost g you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I looked at them like, yo, signed me.
Speaker 1: Kind I had like real hits.
Speaker 2: A lot of ODM messed up. He could have been.
Speaker 1: He had a nice radio career, but man, he would have came up all man. But he signed everybody back.
Speaker 2: I will say I was telling sign me. I was telling anyone to sign me. But you know those you know people don't know, and then I was forced to do it myself and I was the best blessing.
Speaker 1: So once you hit like peak success as an artist, and obviously there are bigger situations that are paying attention to what you guys are doing. Was there ever any like record deals on the table? Oh oh, Ship Dog been a major situation.
Speaker 2: Crazy deals, A lot of deals from big artists that were around like fifty cents to like, there's just a lot of labels, different labels, New York calling me in yeah, do you and the team Cotch Records, Alan Grumble. There was a lot of people just so long I'd get emails. Look at I was playing on Kiss FM and I was the song Summertime Anthem was one of the top five to ten played. Julie Pilot remember her, of course, Yeah, shout out Julie mash music. She solid because she she seen the buzz on the streets and she added me to the playlist. They started recording. Now She's like, hey, all the record labels are contacting me. Should I afward the email to you? And I was like, oh yeah, I'm like yeah, but I'm like I don't even do this, you know, I'm just going with the flow, acting like I know what's up with all the business side, But I'm like, yeah, but I wasn't even tripping. I was focused on the streets. You know.
Speaker 1: Did you guys ever have like it? Because it's it's so funny because I'm from Phoenix, right, Yeah, So for us, like MC magical was that motherfucker you know, and shout out to Magic and he's still doing hundreds of shows a year killing it. But you guys were existing in the space in the same at the same time, but it was very different, like y'all were doing different shit, you know what I mean. Did you guys ever have any sort of like rivalry or anything in those times?
Speaker 2: No? And those times no, Actually I looked out for Magic. I did records with him, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean he was like, he's like the nicest dude too.
Speaker 2: I even put together some shows plays for him. So he's always showed love back. He's always been a genuine dude. So there was never no rivalry back then. I feel like now there's a little division now as time went by. You know, obviously they're trying to keep a certain image and supposedly I might not be that image, Like maybe I'm too gangster. I don't know. But Magic's always showed love for sure. It's just maybe people behind it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: When when Because you guys are doing your thing and then ups records, Yeah, starts cracking right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They got a little Rob at Summer Nights.
Speaker 2: So yeah, back then, so I was I had a record take a chance on me. It's yeah, Joe Lopez or Mark So yeah, Joel, Yeah, there's three, there's three. Joe's was a lady named John John Lopez Joe. Yeah. So I remember Rob was off his old deal whatever happened, and he kind of like quit rapping. He had some projects, he came out. It was kind of just fading away kind of thing. I went to radio would take a chance on me. I came with a couple other records, and then I kind of like they're like what like upstairs was like this guy looks like because there weren't even nobody wanted to deal with Rob or me because of the image, and they go, oh ship and then they signed Rob and then they got I was in the studio with fingers. They got him in the studio with fingers, and there are record label that's actually kind of legit. So they knew how to work radio, I guess from the radio thing. So she's like, if this guy can get play and he's getting he's hit numbers. Rob's was their CAPONI Rob were like the names in those days, right.
Speaker 1: For sure, you guys, you guys are like the fucking Tupac and jay Z at the time.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, and Rob was kind of like before me, so he was always that guy that everybody was like, Rob Rober sure it was about to fall off, and boom he signed him and then next you know, they worked radio. They went straight to the campaigns. They hit it hard, and I was like, damn, they're you know, like same guys that I'm working with, Michael Whitett or whoever was around. They were like, yeah, this guy knew guy that were I was like, he's not new, he's been around, Yeah for sure, But the door start opening for radio, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, not for sure, because it was like he had summer nights. Yeah, there was like the NB Righters, she getting played and then yeah, yeah, it was crazy, especially like on the West Coast, Like yeah, I mean, I mean, how important was it like having like a show back in the day, like pocost Pedal Locals that was like kind of helping break you guys, even if it was like yeah on the weekend, Like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I had no problem with it. I was cool with it. Uh. Some people disagreed with it, disagreed with the radio show, yeah, because some people like saying it was and was only beneficial for certain artists. And I'll tell you even me, I wasn't played on it at the beginning, but by so much you know, success that I was doing by myself, I eventually got in rotation, but definitely was a positive for a lot of artists that are coming up. So technically it helped a lot of people. Some people, I hear people complain, but to me, it was no, it was just it was opening the doors might have been played in Kansas and they might have not known.
Speaker 1: You know, what are your thoughts because I've obviously you know, I'm cool with the guy. I'm cool bo, so I'm cool to a lot of dudes who are in the space. But I feel like there's so much like turmoil within the Chicono wrap space in LA in terms of just people beef and button heads. Is that something that's always happened.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess you know, everybody wants to be the man. Everyone's trying to do the thing. So at the end of the day, it's gonna come. You know what I'm saying, It's gonna come. It's I see it like right now, I see so much internet like pages about all these rappers beefing with each other. You know, to me, like all the ones who've been around there, they know it's got to be on the streets. So if anything's on there, but yeah, it's not a good look because at the end of the day, people will get divided and that kills the numbers. You know what I'm saying. I've seen it in our time in the rap game, where it was about to be a big movement, right, it was about to blow up, and then just divisions start happening, boom boom. So next you know, even with the radio, radio is playing my records and then maybe some haters calling in, hey don't play that shit, play this shit. They're like, we don't know what's going on. So you're scaring the outside of you know what I'm saying, And they're getting scared, like what's up with you know, like people are saying they're threatening to call the radio station. So it got kind of the internet. Well I don't want the internet, but the little cheese May and all that drama start hitting right and it just probably crushed everyone. Look at Lefty, he's doing good right now. I see so many people just hating on him, you know what I'm saying. So it's just part of the nature of the game, like I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I look at the left thing like people people think left he's like an unconventional guy, and he is because he's very very He's a character, you know. But at the end of the day, Like it's like he's working man like, like, why wouldn't you want a champion him if he's.
Speaker 2: You want to go with anyone who's working.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like you said, he's working his ass off, dude is working his Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been just doing I don't even do podcasts, never did them, but I just started doing podcasts now, and I'm like, dam this is our work. It's like a job. You got to go and show up type podcast.
Speaker 1: I saw you and left Het in baker'shield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Baker Fiel we met. He sent me messages back in the days like hey, I want to get signed blah blah blah. But I was not in the space of signing anyone at that time. And he showed love as a youngster in the game the right way. So I give him his credit to, you know, respecting. Same with a lot of different other artists that came out of like Pestle and all these guys. Sure they respect. I did even a record with Pestl, you know what I'm saying. So when the youngsters show respect to that's respect, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So, did you have the issue the same issue that he's having in terms of just like not having not being able to do shows past a certain point in Northern California because just as the politics.
Speaker 2: I think you can. I think at the end of the day, for shows you got, someone's got a book you right, So I mean, I'm sure if someone booked him and paid him a ticket, he.
Speaker 1: Probably was show when you were coming up.
Speaker 2: I did Modesto, I just stocked in, I did Sacramento. I did stuff for the radio stations up there, and I you know, like in the back of my head, I knew, like you know, and maybe they don't know what's yet, But I'm coming here and there was never drama but internet. But yeah, his food was over here. You know, I see little hating going on whatever, blah blah blah. But you know we were coming with respect if anyone. You know, it is what it is in any situation. And then up there there's a lot of fans too who support and so that's what I'm worried about, like the fans getting into with each other, you know what I'm saying. So I mean, but yeah, it's it definitely. It's a show wise, it's a very then line to do events up there because no promoters are gonna want to do too much. But they might play the radio and there might be a lot of love there because I pull up to the malls out there and I'm like, yo, I'm like, damn, they know they recognize me faster up here then down there because they're more fascinated.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm Sayingeah, I mean, it's I think that's the one thing. As I was telling that to Lefty, I was like, man, like, if you go on tour with YG, you're gonna have to go perform in Oakland. Yeah, You're gonna have to and if you want to be like a superstar for real, Like at a certain point in time, it's like it just sucks to always see that.
Speaker 2: But I feel like he's got enough fans or.
Speaker 1: Like somebody, like the politics always kind of split in the state in half with a lot of rappers where it's like, damn, like and I talked to somebody what's his name? Baldacci has said that, like even there's like a semi truce in prison right now, and you would think some of that would like trans.
Speaker 2: But the streets is different. Obviously, there's always gonna be some bad blood, you know what I'm saying. So everyone's gonna have bad blood. Whoever has bad blood. So you can have problems out here too, for sure. So I feel like, look, you can go up there and do a show and they could be proms just as much as it could be proems down here, because there's a lot of supporters out there. You gotta understand, there's a lot of people that down with the LA stuff up there too.
Speaker 1: That's what you said. It's like, if you get fans in both sides in the same place, that could be fucking a problem.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at my you know, I don't know, I haven't checked the Spotify numbers whatever, but pay area is always top three, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Still, how did you end up leaking with Neon the streamer?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, Neon? So I ran him a couple of times. Lollo gone brazy from Arizona, so I know his manager's shadow shadow. He used to be high powered supporter back in the days, just the homies up from the airport. You know, He's one of those guys that was always a genuine dude. And uh, I guess he picked up Lollo and did his management. So we went to Arizona, we networked. He's with Neon. I was with Neon and other people I know, like Sneakle and different people that knew Neon. So there was a little connection here and there. And then once we went to that thing in Arizona, like the wedding that have you seen that? Neil was like man, I like you, man, let's do something. I was like, yeah, let's get it cracking.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed like the spike and like attention because he's he's been streaming crazy.
Speaker 2: A lot of people seeing that. You're right, I mean, definitely a lot of people got. You know, we're hitting me up on that lot is those clip Those clippings were crazy, you know, and the most clip farming. Yeah, the most dangerous man in America with Neon all kinds of crazy shit. Yeah, so that was cool. Yeah, I have fun with him. Watched up man.
Speaker 1: Yeah he seems like a nice kid. Are you back to wanting to sign artists again?
Speaker 2: I feel like I have to create what I did back in the days. So that's why this year to twenty twenty five, I'm back on the music. So I just dropped the single right now. This week. I got records with Mazie coming out. I got, I got a lot of records coming out, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So that's the record that you you did a previous with with Neon and the exact Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I just barely dropped that right now. So basically coming back to what I did before. And that's why I'm on these podcast That's what I'm on, you know, Like I'm here to just grind and bring it back, bring the hunger back. So like people are like, yo, Capona, I've been getting dms the last year or two, Like why don't you do some music. Why don't you like I'm just getting a lot of that slack from the fans. Like I'm doing shows, I'm cool, I'm getting my bread, I'm doing shows, I'm getting love. But like, where's the new music. That's the biggest question saying where's the new music? So I was like, you know what, I'm like, yo, I do drop music here and there, but I'm not really pushing the music. You feel me, I'm just doing it for fun. So I'm like this year, I'm gonna push the music. I'm come in with the music and I'm we'll bring it back like I did. Once I get to my powerful platform, which I still do, numbers as big as any of the top guys past so Lefty, my numbers are still up there. But once I get back to her, I want to get back radio, back to whatever, take it to the next level. That's when I could say, hey, maybe I could sign people. But right now it's like for what, Yeah, you know, it's a lot of work. You know.
Speaker 1: The last time I saw you was in Vegas with OT.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I was up there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got a record with OT said you got say anything with OT coming?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got that's probably might be my second single or third single. When I come with ot.
Speaker 1: Fire, it's gonna be it's gonna be a hitter. Yeah, ot be. He'd be fighting, he's like training and ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like for you, yeah, yeah, I was like, I want to have a little challenge with you. When I seen I was like, this guy, hold on around.
Speaker 1: So before your come up, there was like like the South Park Mexican era before that, which also was like he was getting like Wiggy Wiggy was getting played on the radio and ship where I obviously all all of the you know, he deserves to be in jail. Yeah, let's be yeah, you know, like he's it is what it is, he's a PDF. But we're like, were you guys before obviously you know what ended up happening him getting incarcerated. I mean, Dope House Records was very influential, definitely.
Speaker 2: They were pretty known in Texas and I've seen that when we're coming up, I would hear Dope Pase Records. But when I came up, maybe a year I was in the game, he might have been around.
Speaker 1: But that's why I was curious.
Speaker 2: I'm curious if you were influencing like he was. I didn't see nothing, just he was huge. Yeah. When I was creating our movement out here, people were like, hey, there's a movement in Texas called Dope House yep. So I was like, you know, you got to give respect to the movement. So I was like, okay, they got something cracking. And then Little Flip was doing it. So then I started going to Texas and I seen what they were doing the same thing we were doing in the West Coast, you know, the version I was in the Dallas swamis. I seen all the with the big grand pre swaman. You know, there are all these places and their posters were there, just like how we were in La streets.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people don't know Baby Bash was signed exact Dope Houses Baby Beach yep.
Speaker 2: So we came over there and start putting our ship up and representing, and you know, over there, Texas was like feeling. They're like, yeah, we loving this music. And I don't know nothing about his charges. I don't think anyone did. I don't think anyone, you know, you would hear rumors he got done dirty whatever, so you know, didn't pay.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think his bail just got denied. Yeah, yeah, I don't think he's getting out. I think they were expecting him to get out. What do you think about a guy like mexicanot who's doing his own thing, obviously, and I think he's like he could rap with the best of.
Speaker 2: Him, Like yeah, I mean you look at it at the end of the day, Yeah, he's he's definitely making waves doing shows. He's cracking. He's with I think a label to Universal Right or something like that.
Speaker 1: He's with Cinematic or I'm sorry, good Talk through interscope.
Speaker 2: So whoever they are, man, they're doing a good job. They're putting a lot of bags behind him, They're working it, they're doing what they can do. And that's what, at the end of the day makes the artists blow up. And he's blown up because he's got the right team, right facility. And I did a show with this guy before and before he even got signed, and I don't know how he did it, but in his crowd he had a lot of people wearing his shirt. And when after I was done, I chatted with some people. Hey I'm his neighbor, Hey I'm his uncle, Like I'm like like, so he had people pulling up he had a lot of like teamwork to create what he created, and he's got a great team behind him. So yeah, so props to him for doing this thing like that for sure.
Speaker 1: Now he's killing him. D Baby's killing it.
Speaker 2: Uh. I've seen d be a bit of club. We're supposed to work and stuff. So I've seen about Houston Sekaya Club, you know the boys over there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, so you got obviously isn't an album coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so right now, I got a little EP I'm on to drop probably before March or April or somewhere in that time, and then I'm just gonna constantly just drop records. So at least three to five singles at least this year of records of real records, and then just regular songs, twenty thirty songs.
Speaker 1: You know, has it been because you I feel like you've had like spurts or I'd be like, oh shit, there's a new music video from Caponi.
Speaker 2: That yeah, I was doing spurts shit kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I'd be like, oh shit, this was working with Molly Mall. You know, you know that song is out, Like yeah, but do you feel like you're starting like because when you like you you had such a level of success getting it out the trunk, and then the new world is like you said, now I'm doing podcasts, now stepping out and you feel like you've you've adjusted well to figuring out like the new.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely business model. I know I know what the new business model is. That's why I'm out here putting in the work. What you gotta do, get on the camera. I'm from the old school where we don't like to talk on cameras, you know. So I was embedded with this since a kid. So even by doing rap music that was a little rough for me. That's why I chose to do a lot of love songs, right because I'm not gonna rap about street shit. If you listen to my music, people think all he's getting but moll my hits are love songs, radio song.
Speaker 1: If people don't understand, like the correlation between Chicano rap and oldies is like.
Speaker 2: This exactly like yeah, so, and to me, I was like, if I'm gonna do this music like in the hood, I'm gonna rap about hood shit. But if I'm putting this on a CD, I'm not gonna talk about Hey, I got guns i'na dump on you. That was not my model of rap because I really was from the streets, and I was like, I'm gonna say this. I've seen people getting diet. I've seen a lot of shit go down as a child. I mean, I got raided four or five times, crazy tied up my mom and cuffs my mom. You know, I've seen it all, you know. So I've seen shootouts in front of my house, bullet holes. So I've been through the trenches as a youngster, as a well on the streets. So when I came to the music game, I looked at this as like a job. This is something definitely, I'm not gonna sell out. I'm gonna keep it real, but I'm not gonna be here going crazy on raps and promoting negativity and shit like that. If other artists that I signed do that, that's on them. You know what I'm saying. I'm just trying to help you out, give you some advice, put some radio songs on, talk about But if they still have to keep it off their chests, if they feel like they haven't, they're not the man yet. I get it. You know, people usually do shit when they don't. They don't they still need it off their chests. I figured I don't need it off the chest.
Speaker 1: You had said that shrig Knight had interest in signing you.
Speaker 2: What era of death was That was early two thousand and six seven like that, So this.
Speaker 1: Is probably around the time like there was like the left eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm trying to remember when, but I know he was out and we connected and he came to as Vigy. He came to He used to come to our little apartment studio every day, chilling here, like you know, this is what we're gonna do, game plan it. We met with him and I think I told the story on vlad Ones like we met with him at a hotel might have been the Beverly Hotel. And then and then he was like, yo, we need to represent like you know, he Homie was pumping it like you know, like it's just like homies doing the hood pump you up. So he's like, we need to represent the West. That he was like, the essays are the he was speaking facts. The essays our biggest minority group here, they haven't gone through. Shine. You're you're the top dog of this. We gotta get you you like you know, like, pump you up, Pop, you know, pop did it? Like we got woo, So like, what's goed? Then we pulled up to a studio session where little Wayne was at you know, crazy, and then he's like yeah, little ways and we gotta let him know this is our ship, you know. So we're like I was with four or five homie. We're turned up, you know. So we're like, boom, pull up their security. We're like, hey, we need Wayne outside, you know. So we're thinking we're gonna talk to Wayne about hey, you need to represent the West with us. But as soon as Wayne finally secure is like, look, we don't want no problems. Wayne will talk to Shug because that was our message to talk to Shug. So then Shug comes and we're like, okay, let's go talk to Wayne. She was like you guys, chill in the waiting room, you know what I'm saying. Like, So, after we did that, then he went in. There was waiting squaring off with the security looking at us, We're looking at them whatever. Ten twenty minutes comes out, he comes out, ah, right, my geez, next week we'll link up. I'm like, what did we just do? You know what I'm saying we were like.
Speaker 1: A torpedo for his you use this as your bullies exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then shit started getting weird, but he was still fucking with us. So I get it, and maybe he had good intentions, but it didn't seem like yo, like we ain't no suckers. I mean, you know, like at the end of the day, we did what we did to get Wayne to discuss what we discussed, and then there was a couple of tests that like we gave Sugar night to do and he was like, yeah, I'm down, I'm down. It was one of the Phoenix car shows. I told him, hey, you pull up to Phoenix, get on the mic car show the new Death Throat, you know, like we had a whole and then that show goes like street going to be able to put it on DVD, and he was like, all right, give my flight, I'm down, let's do it. And then all said, hey, this next show, next show. So it's like is he really trying to do it or not? And he's like Okay. Then he sat back and just anybody got a back from me, Let's get an investor. So I get it. Those days, we didn't know how we thought he had the money, but he probably didn't have the money, you know, you know.
Speaker 1: Back in the day. I don't know if it was your guys in the label, but I remember being at the car show and there was like a really hot chkin of rapper who's like ass was out all the time.
Speaker 2: Uh rapper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she was a rapper.
Speaker 2: It was like a pass out.
Speaker 1: I feel like, like I remember her her album cover and I just been like, damn.
Speaker 2: Remember there's like Dazza and all these people.
Speaker 1: I don't know about maybe, but there y'all had the fucking models unlocked all that.
Speaker 2: Man, this those crazy story ship back then.
Speaker 1: If only fans just popping back then, they probably would have been a high power only fans.
Speaker 2: Damn, you ain't lying ship anyway.
Speaker 1: All right, So EP's on the way. New song is out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, new song is o't breaking down, mister Capony, break it down. We're gonna push radio to it. We're gonna do it the right way and hopefully in a month or just start popping up on some stations.
Speaker 1: And now it's dope to see you know. I mean, I thought it was dope to see you on the Neon because that's kind of like taking too really far worlds and put them together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, definitely, And you know, actually something we got messages from labels hitting us up after that Neon thing. For sure like that. But I do you just you just gotta go to these meetings and I'm like, listen.
Speaker 1: It's gonna have to answer your emails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let the record get hot, get to the top right hopefully twenty ten, whatever, and then we'll we'll discuss what we can do. But right now talking about it, I'm an artist that knows what's up or been around. There's no deal that I know that's gonna come to me.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be like wow, yeah for sure. Yeah, you've been there, you've done that. There it is man, Well, I appreciate you pulling out there for show. Homeboy, my guy, the Legend, the Pony, both