Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snakes Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our channel. Maybe you leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman, joined by not only Jack Summers but also our good friend Alex Weiner from Arizona Sports is here with us as well, and fellas I guess, I guess we all just saw something kind of cool. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we're lucky to have Alex here, and I wanted to He's got about two minutes before he's got to go write his articles, but I just wanted to get his first take on what he saw tonight.
Speaker 3: Just how cool it was. I mean, the atmosphere of this game was. I mean, Meryl Kelly talked about it as playoff like as we've seen all season, both with you know, the crowd on the Dodgers side the crowd on the Diamondback side, and I felt like the Diamondbacks fans were about as loud for like a Dodgers game as I've heard in a while. When Cormack Carroll made that catch in the second inning, and then of course when walshmid hit that ball in the ninth So, just in terms of like the intensity of the game and having a rookie come through in the ninth inning in that kind of a moment, I just thought it was kind of a special night for the team.
Speaker 2: At the clubhouse. Yeah, the back and forth was tremendous. What really stood out to me was during the and I mentioned in when we're talking to Toy, the entire forty six thousand stood up and were screaming during the arnato at that, of course, half screaming for a strikeout, half screaming for a base hit, but all forty six thousand chanting and cheering back and forth. It was pretty intense. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Well, Alex, I know you got a run, but before you go, I am curious. Were you surprised that Edwin Diaz threw a slider there to Ryan Waldschmid, Because it sure looked to me like he did not have feel for his slider and his fastball seemed particularly nasty tonight, and yet he through a third slider in the bat. I think it was to Waldschmidt, and it was the location was not ideal.
Speaker 3: Not not great, right, A little bit On one hand, you know, the book on Waldschmid is trying to throw that slider low and away out of the zone, try to get him to fish for it. But after it clearly seemed like he didn't have the right feel for it. Like you mentioned, the fastball was working for him. A little bit surprised because he would just risk, you know, spiking that ball or just hanging one. And you know, Waldy only had one career home run going into this tonight, but it's been hitting the ball prety darn well lately, especially when he's been getting the pitches in the zone and checking off the ones he's.
Speaker 2: Not supposed to go for.
Speaker 3: So a little bit yeah, for sure, I mean that's kind of how you want to attack him. But yeah, it was a hanger.
Speaker 2: I think he was ready for it too. I mean, you know, listening to him talk about it in the clubhouse, I feel like he was thinking that he might get another one. He was, he was all dialed in for that pitch.
Speaker 1: I've got the pitch chart here, and yeah, there were two. There were two sliders earlier. The at bat Number three was kind of way off the h at the outer edge of the plate. Number four was also kind of a hangar. Wald Schmidt filed that one off and then yeah, the sixth pitch of the at batch just kind of right in the heart of the plate. Ryan Waldschmid did not miss it four hundred and eleven feet. I was, at least from the broadcast, I wasn't really sure if that pitch was gone. H did you guys wasn't like pretty safely gone right off the bat.
Speaker 2: Actually, Waldy himself wasn't even one hundred percent sure. He said he took off out of the box thinking I've got a run because I need to get on the third base so that make it easier for the next guy to come in. He didn't realize was gone till he, you know, around the first base. Tory said that he didn't see it right away, that I think it was the hitting coach Joe Madden.
Speaker 3: Now that was the first one to hop up out of the dugout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of everybody followed, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought I was going to bang off the wall personally, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it looked like it looked like a gapper and then at the last minute it went out. I was a little surprised.
Speaker 3: Huh, Right, I got a JCOB concert to write through. But thanks for having me Fellas.
Speaker 2: Thank you much friend.
Speaker 1: Thanks for hopping in Alex. We appreciate it. I guess Alex has like a real job that he's supposed to do from the ballpark, so fun of him to stop buying. Nonetheless, Jack just an unbelievable win here for the Diamondbacks, final score of four to three, a game that was looking good for a while there, Diamondbacks up to nothing after five innings, Merrill Kelly had a no hitter going, and then things just kind of turned south gradually in the sixth, seventh, and eighth innings. Dodgers able to put up a run in each of those frames. And it started in the sixth with Merrill Kelly. It seemed like the command just very much fell off. I know you and I were texting, and you were wondering if Merrill's command might fall off in general, just because he'd been sitting down for a while. The d Backs their bottom of the fifth against Roki Sasaki. He was pretty lengthy, which is a good thing, but it also meant that Merrill had to kind of just sit there and wait for a good while, and his command, sure enough, was not as sharp coming back out in the sixth couple of walks there, and then he winds up leaving the game. It looked like Toy was gonna take him out anyway, I think, but Merrill wound up having to leave the game regardless. Trainer Max Esposito goes out there and MARYL. Kelly exits the game with cramping. Unfortunately for him. That's been kind of a trend throughout his Diamondbacks career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Meryl said that there wasn't really any indication before that sixth inning. He said it was hot and for you know and Muggy throughout the building today as well as on the field. Of course, when there's forty six thousand plus fans in the stands, you know you're gonna it's gonna get a little hotter. But Tory noticed about seven or eight pitches in that things weren't quite right, and that's when he started maneuvering into seven. Eight pitches into the inning is when he got up. So you know, it just took a little while to get him, get him warmed up and ready to get in the game. But by the time Merrill threw that last pitch, you could see the way he finished off the pitch and was kind of walking awkwardly that something was wrong, and we all assumed it was cramping, and sure enough, an inning or two later, they confirmed it light It was a right leg hamstring cramp. Speaking to Meryl just now, he said he's fine. Both Torri and Merrill said he's going to make his next start. The last time this happened to Merrow was May of last year, May of twenty twenty five, and you know, he had quite a few of these episodes over the previous two three years, but hadn't had it happen well over a year. So you know, here we go having to kind of worry about that again a little bit. Hopefully, uh, things will cool off here in the valley by next week, and then you know he's going to be down in Hot Lanta tryly pitching down now. I'm not sure if he lines up for the Atlanta seat. And then there's a series up in Boston, so we'll see where I haven't looked that far out on rotation, we'll see where Merrill lands on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, counting on Phoenix, Arizona to cool off in early August. That's a bit of an uphill battle, unfortunately, but Regardless of the way Merrill's outing ended, He's still a really big part of the storyline of this game to go out there and fire five not only scoreless but no hit innings and just give the Diamondbacks offense some opportunity to kind of catch its breath against a really hard thrower in Rookie Sasaki who's been throwing the ball really well lately. D BAC's able to push across that second run there in the fifth inning, and then Merrill left the game with a lead. Despite what happened. What happened there in the sixth Toy was pretty aggressive out of the bullpen. Juan Mario comes in into that sixth inning, is able to get a big strikeout of Max Munsey to get the Diamondbacks out of that inning. But yeah, I mean, this was This is a really good outing for Meryll Kelly overall. Certainly, his struggles against the Dodgers over the years are well documented. I know it had been a couple of years since he lined up to face the Dodgers, which was kind of felt odd given how much the Diamondbacks play them. But five and two thirds, one run, two hits, there were four walks, but also four strikeouts. You'll take that from Mary Kelly against this Dodgers offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean through the first five innings, you know, there was one hard hit ball against him, and that was the Tommy Edmund drive to write where Corbyn Carroll just made the unbelievable home run robbing play. His chase rate was forty percent. He was fourteen for seventeen on first pitch strikes. You know, it was really a very very strong performance from Merrill Kelly, stronger than most of the ones that we've seen from him this year up until that sixth inning. So you know, we'll take that with a great deal of pleasure. Kelly looks like he's for the most part back looks like, you know, five or the last six or six or the last seven outings have been pretty darn good for him, and that's just a huge thing for the Diamondbacks heading down the stretch here over the last two months.
Speaker 1: A couple of other big moments in this one. The Diamondbacks were again aggressive in the seventh inning with the bullpen. Taylor Clark started that inning, struggled, gave up three hits in four batters, and then Tory goes out and gets Brandon Garcia, and Garcia faces Miguel Rojas, a pinch hitter. Rojas does single against him, but then he dials up a really big double play with sho Heo Tani at the plate. That might have been the big Obviously, the wald Schmidt walk off is the biggest moment of the game by far, but just setting the stage for wald Schmidt to come through late in this one, that might have been the biggest moment. I mean, basses loaded one out with Otani at the plate, Like, this is why the Diamondbacks are the flowing Brandon Garcia in this way, this is the case to not make Garcia the closer and to make him available anytime you need him in the highest leverage moments of the game. It felt like from a pitching standpoint, that's kind of where the Diamondbacks got their edge tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was a little bit spoiled by giving up the leadoff home run.
Speaker 4: The Andy Pa has the fair the very next pitch he threw. Yes, Yes, but yeah, that was a huge moment. I mean, even then, at least it was still only a one run game.
Speaker 2: He recovered from that home run with three groundbouts of four to three, six, three, four to three on my score sheet, So I mean, tremendous work by Brandon Garcia. And look, you know, someone's going to groove a pitch every once in a while, and these are professional hitters. You're never going to get away completely unskate. You know, I will stick with what I said. I mean, it would be nice if they had one other strong lefty in the bullpen to kind of work through some of these situations and give them a little bit more flexibility. But this is what they have, and you know, I thought it was a very good deployment at the time, and it worked out well. So let's be results oriented here.
Speaker 1: Shout out to all of you who are here with us. In the chat, I saw some people commenting earlier like, oh, I didn't know you guys were going live tonight, And yeah, we didn't know either until about half an hour hour ago. We were thinking of doing a show tomorrow morning. That was our plan, and then we're like, hey, Jackson the ballpark, let's just go live after what wound up being a really fun win for this Diamondbacks team. So shout out to all of you who are last minute hopping on here with us. We really appreciate it. While you're here, be sure to drop alike on this video. It really helps us out. Subscribe to our channel here on YouTube if you have not already, and while you're at it, you can hit the bell icon for notifications so that you never miss an episode of the show. Thank you to all of you once again for being here and for supporting us. We really really appreciate other big moments in this one, Jack, I guess the biggest one that stands out to me is Corbyn. Carrol had a pretty nice play and right field in this one. And had he not made that play, I guess we're still playing baseball right now, then maybe this one goes into extra innings. It's hard to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I was stunning. I thought, oh, that's gone immediately, and then you know, to see him climb up well over the top of that fence and pull that back in. I was funny listening to Ryan Walshman talk about it. He said, you know, he was trying to yell to Corbyn and help direct into where the ball was, but he says, I was too far away, the crowd was too loud. He didn't hear a word. I said, he was on his own and then he said he lost the ball because of the angle of the lights looking towards the right field. So you know, I had to go back and look at it a couple of times. I have the game feed on my computer during the game so I can go back and watch replays because you know, it's a little far down the right field line. He's old eyeser are not the best, so it helps to see live. But all the way down in that right field corner you're leaning out going like this, it's it's a little tough to see. So it was fun watching the replay again see just how high up over the wall he got, and you know, Meryll with his hands up in the air and just and Corbyn had a pretty big smile on his face. I mean, you know, the kind of chasure cat, you know, So I got away with something there. Smile that he had on his face really said at all. By the way, a cool little some note Corbyn Carroll's girlfriend saying the yeah anthem tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe that had something to do with us seeing a rare Corbyn Carroll smiled during the game. I don't know, maybe felt like he had to knowing that she was watching. But yeah, just an unbelievable moment for Corbyn. Unfortunately, not a not a notable day for him. Offensively, that continues to be a work in progress as he tries to find his way out of the slump he's been in the past couple of months, but the defense has certainly remains elite. Corbin entered this game at ten outs above average according to Baseball Savant, that's in the ninety seventh percentile, and he's kind of just done this every year. I mean last year was ninety six percentile, the year before that was ninety six percentile. I know, the arm with Corbin is never going to be awesome. We've seen some positive movement there, sounds like early this season he was dealing with an injury that kind of held him back in that regard. The arm is never going to be elite, but hey, if he's going out there making catches like this, it's just another way that he can add value to the game even when he's not clicking offensively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think also just I want to go back to that Nolan Arnado at that too. That just the atmosphere during that at bad for me. I mean that was the most exciting thing of the game up until obviously the walk off homer. That's a sudden jolt of and happiness and excitement. But the tension that was building during that Arnatto at bat, I mean, that's baseball, you know, twelve pitches fouling off, pitch after pitch after pitch, and I know that it ended unfortunately, you know, with him reaching out and putting a pretty rough swing on that last pitch, but you know, he was going against Tanner Scott, who's got some nasty movement, and you know, battling like that with the bases loaded in a playoff like atmosphere, with forty six thousand people screaming, that was probably one of for me, one of the most enjoyable, exciting moments of the season. So I'm sharing my emotional viewpoint on it, not just the analytical viewpoint. To me, that's what baseball is all about, you know, It's it's the build up of the tension. It's a it's not a sport for the faint of heart. Baseball is going to do that to us. It's going to put us on the edge of our seat. It's gonna crush our hearts at times but this is what we're here, folks, and I just wanted to share that for me, that that at bat was the most exciting part of the game.
Speaker 1: That was such a fascinating inning as a whole. I mean, Scott came out and I think made pretty good, pretty quick work of Perdomo and Corbyn Carroll, and then Gabby Moreno hits that double and it kind of opened Pandora's box for the Dodgers because then Katel Marte is up. We all know what Katel did in his last bat against Tanner Scott. That was the way the Diamondbacks last game against the Los Angeles Dodgers ended with a walk off home run, So no surprise there. With first base open, the Dodgers walk him. But then it's Lars Newbar, and as Tory said the other day, he's gonna pinch hit for Lars Newbar. Lars is not here, as you know, someone who's gonna face both lefties and righty's in all situations. The d Backs are gonna go get Ildamara Vargas from the bench in those kind of spots and eel tomorrow. I know we've at times talked about how like, okay, how sustainable is this. He's sitting three forty five this season against lefties, and I think Ildamara Vargas against left handed pitching, like, that's a skill that we know he has, that's legitimate, that he's had for a long time, And it felt like Scott just wanted no part of Ildemar of Vargas. I think it was three sliders that were all pretty far out of the plate, and then it was a fastball that I think did clip the zone, but the umpire didn't give Scott the call, and so Vargas walks. And now you've got the bases loaded with two outs and Nolan Arnado at the plate. And I showed it earlier, I'll go ahead and do it again. This was just an unbelievable at bat. I had the same thought as you, Jack, even though this didn't end well for the Diamondbacks, just as like a baseball fan in general, it was like, Okay, like Nolan Arnado, this this baseball legend, future Hall of Famer against one of the best relief pitchers in all of baseball, and Tanner Scott just going at it. And I thought it was cool too. I heard on the postgame show you asked Tory about this, and Tory also kind of talked up this at bat as being an awesome moment, even though it didn't go the Diamondbacks way, like Ronado struck out with the bases loaded in two outs. It was crushing in the moment. Granted, everything's happy when you know, when you win on a walk off, but for for a while talking about this moment and just kind of how much he was taking it all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Toy even talked about how he you know, saw I don't know if they that part was on the television, but he saw the fan I think, you know, like he turned around and he was looking up in the stands and he saw like a fan going like this with his hands in his head, like couldn't look like that kind of stuff that he dialed in on, you know, in a moment, like just kind of looking around and keyed in on that. So yeah, I mean, it was It was cool. It was baseball, It was pure baseball. It was gritty, it was tough, you know, and like I said, it was it was a great moment for me to enjoy it just as a baseball purist, if I may again, even though it didn't work out, I mean it would have been a hell, you know, and he came close, man, I mean, you know, he ripped a ball down the line that just kind of hooked foul and then he you know, that would have been a basis clearing double right there on the spot. You know. So that would have been a pretty cool way to jump ahead and then go close it out as well. But we got to give Waldy as props. I mean, you know, I think that Ryan Waldschmidt. We've talked a lot about. You know, Okay, the strikeout rates high, and he's got an unsustainable babbit and all that, but he's making adjustments, he's making changes, he's improving little by little, and you know, obviously when you get a walk off like this. He told us tonight, this is the first time he's ever hit a walk off home run since travel ball, like when he was twelve or thirteen. Wow, he had never done it in high school, college or the miners. So he said, he's had walk off hits before, but it was his first walk off homer. And even I had like a little sidebar chat with him, and I said, hey, you know, I'm an analyst and I do what I do, and so I'm going to look at the numbers and I think you've seen some of it. And he laughed, and he goes, don't worry. He goes, you're not telling me anything. I don't know. And there's nobody a harsher critic than myself and all of that. Very very nice guy, you know, took it all very well, and I appreciated him for that. So Ryan Waldschmidt, I mean, you know, this is a guy that the Dbacks are really counting on, and hopefully this is something that propels him into a more consistent approach at the plate. I think what he's learning from this, you know, the at batch and maturity. Little by little, you can see it coming around and so more. Please. But this is really what they needed, and it's a good thing that they didn't trade him.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I was just thinking the exact same thing. I mean, if if anyone out there was thinking the d Backs should have been willing to trade Ryan Waldschmith for a rental, I mean, after tonight, given what he's meant to this team in the second half so far, is a really hard case to make. I mean, especially given like I know, Jordan Lawler could be back here pretty soon. But if Ryan Walschman isn't on this team, I mean, I guess, I guess Tyler Lockleer maybe plays first base every day, Tim Tawa shifts out to center something like that. But you know, it's not as if the Diamondbacks have all this depth right now of quality outfielders. It's kind of just been Corbyn, Carroll and Wright and them just kind of trying to put things together in center field and in left field, and you know, the sustainability, the babbit all that stuff, like, there are some conversations to be had there, but the guy is hitting two ninety two with a seven forty eight ops and playing a pretty darn good center field in the process. We certainly saw that in the game yesterday against San Diego. I mean, that just has so much value, and it's sort of like, heck, even if you're talking about a controlable piece, even if you're talking about Jose Soriano come into the Diamondbacks. I think he made his debut for Toronto tonight, didn't get out of the fifth inning. I'll add, that's that's a a. I don't know if it's obvious that you would rather have Jose Soriano right now than Ryan Waldschmidt, and certainly Walschmidt is under club control for a whole lot longer than Soriano would have been. So I'm not trying to like absolve Mike Hazen of any responsibility here or saying that there was no way for the d Backs to get more at the deadline without dealing Waldschmidt. But you feel pretty good holding on to this guy Jack and having him be a Diamondback for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, I think it was a totally reasonable stance that I'm not trading Ryan Walshmian for a rental. Yeah, you know, which that was a stance, and that was the correct stance, and I don't think anybody's going to argue that I never criticized that specifically, you know, not trading Walshman for a rental. So you know, this is where we're at. By the way, I think Ray lost to night. He gave up four runs in five innings with like five walks or something, So not a great night for him either. Just a little sidebar there. Deeb actually pretty well today, with the rest of the division and the wild card contenders mostly losing, except for I think the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: That is a great segue, Jack. Here are the NL wild card standings after this one. The Padres did lose. The Phillies lost as well. Phillies made a late comeback attempt in their game, I think it was against Toronto, but they fell fell just short at the end. So Diamondbacks now technically occupy the second wild card spot. They have the tiebreaker with the Phillies right now. Phillies in that third wild card spot then, and then San Diego now two games out, the Cardinals three and a half, and then everyone else is four games out or more at that point the Cubs do keep winning, Jack, I'm not I'm not feeling, you know, so bullish about the diamondbacks chances to catch Chicago. Given the way that PCA in particular is playing right now, he looks like a very legitimate MVP candidate alongside show Heyo Tani. But yeah, the Diamondbacks are are in a pretty good spot once again in the wild card race, and you know, maybe maybe we do got to start pulling out the NL West standings here, Jack, because I think it's what down to seven games now seven and a half. D Backs are seven and a half out of out of first place in the NL West. So yeah, maybe we're still getting a little ahead of ourselves there. If the Dbacs find a way to magically win the next two games as well, maybe that conversation gets a little more interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you get this down the five and a half games, five games, and you know, you have a little bit of a race there. So we'll see what happens. But you know that I mentioned it in the last show and I was kind of almost tongue in cheek, like, hey, this could happen, you never know, and obviously another win tonight and shaving a little bit more off of tonight. You know, I'm still skeptical like everybody else. But I'll just say it again. Man, would that be hella cool? Yeah? That would just be the most awesome thing, And there's no other way to describe it. I mean, that would just be an amazing thing. And you look at just weird things that are happening in baseball, like the Red Sox, you know, going from the worst record in baseball. I think they were thirty two and forty six or something, and since then they're thirty one and five. I don't know the exact numbers, but they're on another nine game winning streak. You know, weird things happen in this sport, and you know, hopefully Dbacks can make something really weird happen as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, even if it was just like a Grace in September, I mean, that would be pretty fun in and of itself. Gonna be a serious uphill battle for the diamondback to make up that much ground, But who knows, Jack, Dodgers have now lost seven consecutive games, which is something that I never really thought I would say in the year twenty twenty six. They do not have a win in the Trek Schooble era, if you will. So they're they're kind of reeling right now. And I have to be honest, watching Edwin Diaz tonight, I'm a little surprised that the Dodgers got him back from what was a pretty significant injury and just immediately plugged him back into these sorts of situations. It feels like they've they've got to have better options on that team right now.
Speaker 2: He's allowed runs in three of the four games that he's pitched since he's Yeah, so you know, I'll say again more please.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers signed Diaz to a three year, sixty nine million dollar contract this offseason, and I believe he's now pitched about ten innings and those ten innings have not been good, not at all. Granted, there's deferrals in there as well, so maybe it's not a true sixty nine million dollars, but it's still a whole lot of money. Jack, I know you have some injury news for us. What do you got on that front from Chase Field?
Speaker 2: So we have a whole lot, We have a whole lot of injury news. I mean, the word came out earlier today. Many people may already be aware. Ajpuck's season is over. He will not be back this year. He's shut down for the year. He suffered that shoulder capsule sprain during his rehab and it's not going to be able to make it back. There's not going to be enough time. Based on his most recent MRI, I think or throwing he was still symptomatic and they just shut it down. So he'll be a free agent at the end of the season. He pitched thirty five fabulous innings for the Arizona Diamondbacks to a one point seven eight ERA. Of course, most of that work was done in twenty twenty four from the trade deadline on, and we wish Ajpuck the best. We don't know if he'll ever pitch again for the Diamondbacks. Of course, that would take a contract and for him to come back here as a free agent, So we'll see where things land there. None of that's predictable at this time. So that's the first thing I want to mention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is that is a bummer. It is not all that surprising, though, given you have elbow surgery and then you have a big shoulder issue on the heels of that, It's like, all right, it felt it felt like it was going to be a miracle for Puck to make it back in time.
Speaker 2: Right next, Well, I'm going to jump to Tommy Troy, even though that's not really the top priority, but I've been asked about it a couple times by John and the chat. So Tommy Troy tomorrow will be taking live BP to test out how that shoulder feels. So once he has that live BP session tomorrow, seeing how that sprain DAC joint has responded, see if he's still symptomatic, then they'll decide next steps. Typically in this situation, he might play a couple of continuation camp games, or what they call bridge camp games over at the Salt River Fields, and if those go smoothly, then they'll start to transition him out on a rehab assignment. With as crowded as the outfield is and going to be very shortly. You know, who knows when he'll be back on the major league roster. We'll just have to see how all of that plays out. It's just not anything that we can answer at this time. Tommy Troy is probably at least two three weeks out from being ready to re enter major league play in the first place. I really don't expect to see him before September. So that's a Tommy Troy update. And we're going to jump right into Jordan Lawler. So Jordan Lawler was supposed to play tonight and tomorrow night in Amarillo, and after the two games back to back here and Amarillo again, then he's going out next week, most likely to Reno. Reno plays in Tacoma on Tuesday the eleven and Wednesday the twelfth, and the game plan is to have him play at least a couple more games there. Tory was very forthright about the fact that they want to take their time with Jordan Lawler. They don't want to push him. He's a scuttled too long an injury history, so they're trying to give him enough time to get ready. And I'm one hundred percent on board with that. I asked story, is there a chance that Jordan could return by the Atlanta series on the road or during the road trip, and Tory did not rule that out. He said, yeah, I think that's a possibility, but he couldn't confirm it, of course. So right now, I think what we're seeing here is minimum seven more days before Jordan Lawler could be activated, could be as many as ten. So basically, look for him maybe in the Brave series, if not by then, maybe by the Red Sox series out on the road. So those are the Jordan Lawler updates now when Jordan comes back. I put up a Twitter poll today, you know, just what will the Diamondbacks do when he comes back? It wasn't a what should they do? It was what will they do? And I put four options, which was option Tyler Locklear, option Tim Tower because those are the two guys with options or DFA, Max Kepler or DFA or Hey Barosa well, nobody liked Tory Barosa, so everybody voted for Barosa. But I was asking what will they do, not what should they do? So Jesse, I'm curious your take on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking at the poll now, which has two forty six votes by the way, so wow, everyone go go follow atsho was their fifty nine on Twitter and get your get your votes in. Yeah, so what will they do? Option Tyler Locklear, Option Tim Tawa DFA, Max Kepler DFA, Ri Barosa. Yeah, I haven't seen the results. I'm curious what it'll be. I don't think Option Tim Tawa is going to be in there. I think given what he's shown just in the past few days, I think there's no way people are gonna are gonna want that, and I don't think the Diamondbacks will do that. So it's one of the other three. Tyler Locklear has shown enough positive signs that I think he's in a decent spot right now, and that leaves us with Max Kepler and Jorge Barossa. So that's tough. I think that Max Kepler is in a position where he has to hit, and he has to hit kind of soon, and I guess that a bat there in the ninth inning was maybe a good start for him to kind of get things back on track. It was a really nice at bat, drawing a walk to set up the Ryan Walschmant walk off. But you're gonna need to see Max Kepler sluck. He's not on the roster for his defense or for his base running. He's on the roster to hit, and specifically to hit right handed pitching. And if he's not hitting right handed pitching at at least a close to average clip, which he has not done at all up to this point, he doesn't really have value on the roster, whereas I think Hory Barossa, even though people are not necessarily the biggest Tory Barrosa fans, I can see that's the sentiment out there. He does have some value, as at least the perceived value as a base runner late in the game, like he did tonight he stole a base, and as a defensive substitution, which I know has also been a point of controversy here in recent days. Walschmid has looked pretty good out there. But yeah, I think I land on I think I land on DFA Max Kepler. If Kepler continues to struggle as he has, but that's a big if. I mean, if he turns things around, then I would maybe see it going a different direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm trying to handicap what the team will do, and the one thing that catches my attention is just how little Tyler Lockley is playing.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Very often, the guy that you see that is not getting hardly any playing time is the guy that ends up getting removed from the roster, right because they're not using him anyway.
Speaker 1: It's a good point. It is also the path of least resistance sort of, whereas you're not having a DFA and he stays in the organization, and that's that's a big factor too, right.
Speaker 2: So you know, I think that it's going to be one of those two, you know. And I didn't give people the option to vote for two, you know, but I think it's going to likely be either option Tyler or DFA Max, you know. And like you said, Max has to hit, and not just hit, but he's got to hit with power. He's got to show us some pop. He's there to give them some left handed pop and threat down there, you know, batting sixth or fifth or wherever he's and or seventh wherever he's at in the order. You know, he needs to pop a few more here. I mean, you know, he's got what two home runs and like one hundred and ten plate appearances. He needs to pop out a couple more home runs pretty quickly, or I think to say, spot that's my opinion.
Speaker 1: Have you have you seen the results on your on your poll? I imagine you probably have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like sixty one percent Barosa, twenty three percent Locklear, fourteen percent Kepler, and two percent Tim O'tower. So you know, some people are upset. Why is Tim Tower even on the poll? License I got to fill out the poll, but these are the options that the q backs have. The only other person I could have put on there was Ryan Waltschman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think anyone's voting for that right now, so anyway.
Speaker 2: But you know I never put I didn't put Tim Tower there as a suggestion. I'm just saying, what do you think the d backs will do? And so if you don't think it's going to be Tim Tower, then don't vote there. There's some other updates I think that are worthwhile, just kind of running through real quick. If I made us, yeah, go for it. So Michael Soroka is certainly going to start on Monday. That's where we're headed there. They decided to go with e Rod Sunday, partly because of the success that he's had against the Dodgers and some of those hitters you know, and controlling their left handed lineup. So Michael Soroka will go on Monday. It's not official yet, but Tory al but told us that, and he also said it on the radio. Lordis Gouriel Junior had to push things back a little bit. He had some recent imaging that showed his adductor strain is not completely resolved. So Lotis is not coming back anytime soon. He appears to be a little bit on the Santana rehab program. Drey Jamison hip and Pinchmin is throwing a bridge game on Saturday. He's supposed to throw one inning and twenty five pitches, and if that goes well, he'll probably get ready to transition out on a rehab assignment as well. So I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Dre Jamison back within a couple of weeks. Justin Martinez is continue as rehab with Fresno tonight. He probably already pitched. People probably have already seen whatever happened. I didn't get a chance to look it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he threw a scoreless inning with a walk and a strikeout. I think it was eight of fourteen pitches for strikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfect, thank you. So you know, he's on a Tuesday Friday program, and so he's probably going to be transitioned either Amarilla or Reno next week. We're not sure exactly, but Tory had indicated that Tuesday Friday is what they're trying to do. And then the question there becomes will they want him to throw back to back games before he returns to the majors or are they willing to bring him back before he's actually done that. So expect him to throw next week Tuesday Friday, and then after that they'll decide when they want to bring him back or whether he needs to hang out a couple more days and then throw it back to back and you know, so then you look at another week. So Justin Martinez is minimum ten days from returning. Still the way I see it, Blake Walston, if anyone's curious about him, he threw two innings and thirty five pitches on a rehab assignment with Reno, or his scheduled to throw two innings and thirty five pitches with Reno on August eighth, Saturday. Zach Gallon elbow inflammation through a twenty five pitch bullpen. He's on a sixty day il, not eligitible return until September eighth. Corbyn Burns finally threw a twenty five pitch bullpen today, and it was not announced when he'll throw his first live pp. We'll find out about that as soon as we can.
Speaker 1: That's an outrageous number of injury updates. Jack, you you were working overtime tonight of hutting all those together. Oh like now. I guess it's just indicative of the season the Diamondbacks have had and the number of players that they have on the injured list who could play meaningful roles for them down the stretch. I did notice that Jordan Lawler was lifted in his game today. I assume that that's not a cause for alarm. That he probably was just going to play seven innings for Amarillo or something. Looks like he was lifted for a I'm looking at the box score. Somebody else came in and took in a bat. I'm not sure if it was a pinch hit situation or a pinch I guess it couldn't have been a pinch run situation, but maybe it was a defensive replacement. I don't know exactly how it happened, but probably not cause for alarm there. David Hageman did make his double A debut tonight in that same game that Jordan Lawler played in. That feels noteworthy. Hageman five innings, six hits, two runs, one earned, three walks, ten strikeouts, So pretty impressive stuff there for Hageman. He of course, is kind of taking Daniel Egan spot in in double A. D Backs kind of shuffled some guys around and promoted Haghim into to double A here in the past few days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great updates. So Jesse appreciates you catching up on when I wasn't able to get to tonight.
Speaker 1: I try, then I try.
Speaker 2: It's a team work thing, folks, and you know, we got to work as a team work here.
Speaker 1: Jack's really doing the heavy lifting by actually being at the ballpark for you know, nine hours on a night like this, which, speaking of we probably should get you out of here before too long, Jack, but before we do real quick. The Diamondbacks did make a couple of interesting roster moves here in the past couple of days. Cole Drake was optioned after his outing against the Padres last night, d Backs bringing Cad Stroud as just an extra arm out of the bullpen. We were texting back and forth about that last night. Kind of wondered if that was a possibility. Certainly didn't expect Drake to make another start with Michael Soroka returning to the diamond rotation. And then the other interesting roster move is that d Backs signed Dennis Santana, formerly of the Pittsburgh Pirates. They signed him to a minor league deal. They seem to have some plans for him, and he's going out to the complex and going to do some work in the d Backs pitching lab. There's a connection there between him and d Back's new assistant GM, Jeremy Blisch, who previously worked in the Pirates organization. So I'm not real bullish on this, Jack. I don't know if Dennis Santana has ever had the best of stuff, necessarily, and it seems like what he has this year is a little bit diminished from where he was a season ago when he was genuinely a really good pitcher for the Pirates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick mccor got to talk to Jeremy and he reported that Jeremy feels like they found something a little different this year from last year that maybe they can help him fix or correct. So, you know, consider during the connection there and the time that they've worked together, that does leave some credence and hope that they can help get this picture turned around. He was a very good reliever before this year. It was great last year, So you know, if they can find a minor tweak that can help get him back. If there's no underlying injury or arm concern that caused the diminished stuff, and it's a mechanical issue, then that would be awesome. If you know, they found a needle in a haystack here and got this guy turned around. So he's pretty great last year. I mean you can go look up those numbers. Yeah he was.
Speaker 1: I mean it was a low to eer with the Pirates. I know the underlying stuff wasn't quite as strong, but yeah, I think it makes sense for the Diamondbacks as just kind of another option for them. We have seen the bullpen get I think freid is the word that you've used here. In recent days, we have seen some regression. I think I don't know if we should blame you for it, Jack, Maybe you spoke it into existence, or maybe you were just seeing the future one of the two. But we have seen some regression with the Diamondbacks bullpen. Maybe Santana could be a contributor to that at some point. Do you have any thoughts on the bullpen situation?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 1: And what we saw Taylor Clark tonight.
Speaker 2: We're getting past freight and heading into shreddit. Yeah, we are. I mean it's just one by one by one by one. You know, it was the same six seven guys throwing all the innings, right, I mean, you know that just have been there since the beginning of the season, haven't haven't missed any outings. So now you have Ryan Thompson on the al Paul SeaWorld imploded. Kemy Ganko had a good outing tonight, but he had a very bad outing the you know his previous outing, Jonathan Loisa. I think it allowed runs in like four out of five outings. You know, Taylor Clark had some regression tonight, Brandon Garcia gave up a home run tonight.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wasn't sure I'd ever see that, To be honest, I was. I was like, you know what, Brandon Garcia has never given up a home I'm running the majors, and I'm not sure he ever will. It feels like it's impossible, and yet Andy Pa has did be impossible tonight.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was sad to see.
Speaker 2: I think I was looking it up earlier. I think since July twenty at the bullpen had like almost a five seven five ERA or something like that. It's not pretty. Yeah, granted just two runs in there by Eldamar Argus, but still, I mean basically the bullpen, the ARA is over five, you know for the last three three weeks or so, so you know they're they're tired, man. I mean, like, this is not a criticism of them. It's not a criticism of the bullpen that Hayes them put together or any of the pictures in it. They're they're just tired, man. I mean, Kevin Kinkle said it to us the other day. They all got something going on. They all know, they're all feeling something. Yeah, and I'm not gonna name names I'm just telling you, like, almost every time I walk in that clubhouse, I see two, three, four relievers with a big ice pack on the shoulder or big ice pack on the arm, you know, and that's arm care and that's normal stuff. But they are all banged up. And that's why I really felt that the bullpen was where they needed to shore up the most. And you know, I'll I beat that dead horses. You know now that if they're going to show up the bullpen, it's going to have to be the Dennis Antannas of the world. And you know, hopefully they're able to make some shoot moves there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess Dennis Santana or you know, Ryan Nelson coming back from injury as a reliever, which is possible. Maybe Corbyn Burns winds up coming back as a reliever when all is said and done. I think it's possible they get some boosts there. But yeah, adding a reliever at the trade deadline would have been nice. I think we're we're all still in agreement on that front. Well, we do have one super chat to get to before we jump on out of here. Our good friend Mark Marx's let's go d backs two more to go, and they're in striking distance for the NL West. It is true if the Diamondbacks find a way to win the next two against the Dodgers, They've now won five games in a row against Los Angeles. They were to do that, they would be within five and a half games of first place in the NL West. Would be pretty wild to see them even make that a storyline, given the fact that the Dodgers just got Schooball and all of the narratives around them ruining baseball and being the undefeatable team, you know, the Diamondbacks are. They're They're at least making this kind of interesting here in early August. Well, thank you to all of you for being with us in this late night postgame edition, impromptu edition of Snake's Territory. We really appreciate you being here. You can find us on Twitter if you haven't already. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine and our show is at Snake's Territory, and you can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI Jack. Any final thoughts here from you're sitting at the podium where Tory Lavello talked about this game not long ago.
Speaker 2: No, well, it's a nicer background than when I have at home.
Speaker 1: That's not saying much, but it's true.
Speaker 2: I will say for anybody that wants to know a little bit more about Tory's thoughts and the explanations. I mean, it was fairly obvious, but Visa VI, Mitch Bratt, and Cole Drake. Make sure check out Alex de Gastino's article on Diamondbacks on SI, as well as some of the other great stuff he's been writing over there.
Speaker 1: I got to give a plug out to my guy, a lot of great stuff from Alex as always. Also shout out to other Alex, our good friend Alex Weiner, who hopped on with us for a couple of minutes on the top of the show. Always always happy to have Alex around here, and always happy to have all of you joining us here in the chat. Once again, we really appreciate your time, and we'll be back with another edition of Snake's Territory very very soon.