Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: Let's just you.
Speaker 3: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast, one of them productions iHeartRadio, I Heeart Media, iHeart Podcast Pop Culture Season seven, Episode twenty two, bon Voyage and joined by My Intrepid Cruise, Who's in French Terrist, Sue Daniel, Roma, Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 2: iHeart Podcasts Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Susann why don't you start us off?
Speaker 3: Alrighty?
Speaker 4: Lorely and Rory arrive at the Dragonfly in and Rory says, why would Christian Almonport be hanging out at the Dragonfly? Laura says, I don't know. Rory says she wouldn't. Laura I says she is. Christian Aubunport is the chief International anchor for CNN and host of CNN International's nightly Interview program Aubunport and PBS's Nightly Global Affairs Program. She has a reputation of being fearless. Did you know Christian failed her driving test four times as a student in England and passed the test on her first attempt after moving to the US.
Speaker 3: That maybe shows it.
Speaker 1: She obviously has a preference for driving on the right side of the road, and it's the four failures over there, all right.
Speaker 5: So Laura Leon Rory's conversation continues as they headed to the dragonfly In. Rory says, yeah, remember the time you thought you saw Sandra day O'Connor. Laura I says, yeah, well this is different. I haven't had enough coughs I haven't had any cough syrup. Sandra Day O'Connor was the first woman to serve it as a US Supreme Court justice, after being nominated by Ronald Reagan. And did you know Sandra was the first woman to have her name attached to a law school, the Sandra Di O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University.
Speaker 3: Ok, Asu, I see, man, do you want me to do this one?
Speaker 1: I do? I was hoping you would.
Speaker 3: Michelle didn't tell Laura that Christianne was staying at the inn. Oh yeah, we did see Michelle in the episode. Just I wanted to avoid yet another embarrassing.
Speaker 1: At the party. I'm really sure that he was.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, it's a walking distance, so maybe he was.
Speaker 1: He was there.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about? You always embarrass yourself when a celebrity stays at the end.
Speaker 1: I do know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I was, you're very much Jane Paully, Harry Belafani, Marissa Tomey. Okay, good good, good names all could be at the end. Jane Polly is a TV host and author known as Barbara Walter's successor on NBC's Today's Show. She also anchored with Tom Brokaw and Bryant Gumbel. Harry Belafonte was a singer and civil rights activist who popular as Calypso Music. Actually think he passed away not that long ago. Signature songs include Deo e, which is great in Beetlejuice. It's called the Banana Boat song. It's also known as that and jump in the line, Shike, Sonora Hike. Marisa Tome is an actress who gained popularity for her comedic performance as Mona Lisa Vito and my cousin Vinnie. I love the scene where she's in the courtroom and it's the big reveal how she says, well, you know, she knows the car, and she's like gives the details of the car, and she's so good about it, and she's like these tires have whatever it is, I can't do it right.
Speaker 1: And Herman Munster is the judge, right.
Speaker 3: But and as I mentioned, did you know.
Speaker 1: He was the judge?
Speaker 3: He was?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Deo is sung in the nineteen eighty eight film Beetlejuice, as I said, and it will appear in the sequel, the twenty twenty four sequel coming soon, Beetlejuice and Beetlejuice. Now, if you say Beatlejuice three times is when he comes out. So I've said it about nine times. So Michael walking into my office at any or three of them, I'm excited for the new one. Oh my god, that's it for pop culture. Oh no, no, who didn't go yet? Scott, you got.
Speaker 1: No, No, Danielle didn't go.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I'll do this one. And Rory are preparing for Rory's and pending departure from Stars Hollow, and Rory says, you honestly think I'm gonna wear a fanny pack? Lurlai says, all I know is it's on the list, and if it's on the list, I'm getting it for you. You think Tom Brokaw's Center do you think? Do you think Tom Brokaw's mother sent him off to his first campaign with no fanny pack. Tom Brokaw is a retired network journalist and author. As mentioned earlier, he's first served as the co anchor of The Today Show with Jane Pauley. He is the only person to have hosted all three major NBC news programs, the Today Show, NBC Nightly News, and briefly, Meet the Press. He retired into after fifty five years with the network. Did you Know? Tombrocaw covered every presidential election from nineteen sixty eight to two thousand and eight, and holds the record for being the longest serving anchor of the NBC Nightly News for twenty two years. There's also the Tomborocaw News Center on the NBC lot.
Speaker 3: Very short pop culture. Considering it's the finale of the series, you they might have worked in a few more, but okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe we could do a round robin here and we could talk about our favorite scene in the entire series.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I can't even need to rewatch the whole series.
Speaker 1: That came over again. And then you go first, I mean, oh, that's your favorite scene in the entire Do you like the one.
Speaker 3: Kenny Ortega directed it, and it had that Friday night dinner with the camera spinning.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was a yeah Bracebridge dinner.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like the uh John Frankenheim, John Frankenheimer's style.
Speaker 3: I do like where you push Jess in the water. I think that's.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: You know when you do the Warner Brothers tour, they literally like, and this is the lake that Luke but like it's literally like a stop on the tour.
Speaker 1: Oh was it really?
Speaker 5: They literally like, if you're a Gilmour Girls fan, this is the lake that Luke pushed Jess.
Speaker 3: And everyone's like, oh my god, you're right.
Speaker 5: And then and then the other side, I think they show up, they show the gazebo, but then the shed that.
Speaker 1: You know, they offered Milow a multi year contract to come out merge from the water in that wardrobe three times during those tours, and he turned he turned it.
Speaker 3: Down on other scenes that I just like a.
Speaker 1: Wonderful surprise that would have been for fans. Oh yeah, I mean if you like a dry milo, you're certainly gonna like a wet one, you know what I mean? So what was your favorite scene in the entire one hundred and fifty three episodes. Don't mean to put you on the spot, but there's so much. You're so good and so steeped in Gilmour lore.
Speaker 4: There's so many though, Like it's hard one.
Speaker 1: Gotta pick one. What's your what's the ultimate scene for you?
Speaker 4: I'm probably gonna think of a different answer. It's like later tonight, but I probably the Luke and Laurel I first kiss too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dare I say I am all in that scene?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Really that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: And Amy did you?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think Amy to which one.
Speaker 3: Wedding it's a great scene is when she kisses Jess. I love you idiot. That one one where it's at the wedding and it's where Morle and Chris Christopher finds out he's having the baby with Sherry and she's just comes back and then she kisses him and then she like runs away and kind of turns back to him and says, welcome home or something like that or welcome back. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I know what you're talking about. But good see, But I love you idiot? Is with Dean, right or is it Jess, it's a Dean.
Speaker 1: It was Dean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am not gonna lie. I still like when we first see Logan because I love the witty banter. It's like we see it, not the coffee cart part, but when he's at the dorm room door and they have that witty sort of back and forth, and I was like, I'm into this guy. And I love the one when they jump off the thing.
Speaker 1: You know. My favorite scene of this entire series is the very first scene of the pilot episode, her walking into the diner and then ordering coffee and then doing that scene with that guy that's trying to hit on her, and then Rory comes in and he comes back for more, and it just I just it just is such a perfect opening scene, uh, for for you know, to get this storytelling going, because you really want to know more about these characters that you've met so far, you know, and uh just just love that scene.
Speaker 2: I found this article that says the twenty five best moments and give more Girl's History, and I'm scrolling through them and I'm like, oh my god, there's so many good ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm like trying to think of like the one that pops in my head just of the scene itself was Lorelei standing with the yellow daisies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when Max proposed to her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like just that that image is in my head.
Speaker 3: I also really like.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I think Rory's first loose was just funny in the in the grocery store when.
Speaker 2: Luke pushes just into the lake when Yeah.
Speaker 1: Favorite episode? Do you remember the episodes and you have one that really sticks out?
Speaker 4: Susannah, Well, I'm some of my favorite episodes are like the non standard ones. Like I really love the episode where they Rory goes and has lunch with the Harvard people. It's like that weird family, right. I love that episode. I love the episode with the Harvard Yale football game. I love the episode where Jess first comes to town and they have dinner at laurel Ize. Like I those are some of my favorite ones. I mean, I love all the standard ones like where Luke laurel I get together and all that, but those are some of my other favorites.
Speaker 1: Top three favorite characters, Danielle, Do you.
Speaker 2: Want me to rank in order from one, two, three?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it doesn't have to No.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna give it to you. Number one, Emily, she's my favorite character. I'm sorry, I hate to say it. She's my favorite character. Number two Jess. Jess still lives rent free in my brain and will for a very long time. And then, as you can tell from my shirt. And number three, hmmm, I have to I just have to give it to Laura Lai. She's just she's just a legend.
Speaker 1: How can you not, Susanne?
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, I almost just because it's so easy for me.
Speaker 1: So no, Amy, go ahead, go ahead, because it's Luke, Logan all else.
Speaker 3: I like to Yeah, those are my faves. They make the whole series for me.
Speaker 5: Uh Tara, mine's actually the same threes as Danielle, but I brought put Lorel I first, and then Emily and then Jess. No one likes Rory, she gets annoying, but like I said, love her.
Speaker 3: She's cool and all.
Speaker 4: But in order, my favorite is Laurel I, followed by Luke, followed by by Laine.
Speaker 3: Scott. Can you even say yours?
Speaker 1: Sure? Sure? In no particular order. Gotta go with Oh man, it's tough, isn't it. M M, It's just really tough.
Speaker 3: If I said.
Speaker 2: You'd be kicked off.
Speaker 1: Which we just mute you removed from chat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Digger, Lulu, Christopher.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a fan out there or a couple of that's the Wait a minute, how about that? How about the guy the Terrible, the Max Perlock character, and then we'll do we'll do guest cast for this. Okay, So my top three main cast is it's really tough. Uh favorite characters? Well, you know it's it's Richard, Emily, Laurel I. But it's got to be. If you're going to say Richard Emily Laurel I, you're gonna have to say Rory and I want Rory to be and I want Rory and Laurel at account as one.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'll we'll give it to it's your show.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Yeah, because that just such powerful acting and powerful moments between. Uh all that all right? Now your least favorite characters?
Speaker 2: Oh, I like this one, Daniel, don't make me go first. Anybody have it?
Speaker 1: Anybody has a jump jump in least favorite?
Speaker 3: I know it's it's who's.
Speaker 1: Let's do our favorite characters that aren't in the main cast. Okay, So who wants to take a shot at Oh sorry go oh New York, you go go ahead.
Speaker 3: Vanessa's character Kristin. I always thought Tristan was like pretty great.
Speaker 1: Who's Murray working with?
Speaker 2: Dave is my number one?
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: He does?
Speaker 1: I think I think you went out of turn.
Speaker 2: Sorry I didn't.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you can't, so that will have to be thrown out. You can't use David Gal.
Speaker 2: I'll just say Adam Brody.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, it's just being used. Uh so, Tarry, your three were April.
Speaker 2: We're just picking one. Just let me pick on one.
Speaker 1: No, no pressure, no pressure, let me just re submit that.
Speaker 3: I think of who the worst was, but I kind of I gotta.
Speaker 1: I gotta go with Rune. I gotta go through.
Speaker 3: You're just still.
Speaker 5: Entertaining as annoying as he was, but he was so brilliant.
Speaker 1: It was so brilliant. T J.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, you love t J.
Speaker 1: That's why it has to be three, all right, it's actually gotta be five. You gotta have five because you gotta put Gill in there, right, you gotta have a t J. You gotta have Rune.
Speaker 3: Who else was the worst? I have others, But who was the lady that Richard had lunch with every year. She's pretty. But I don't love Kristin Ritter's character. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Gus's genius. Come on, she she just chewed up the scenery ever.
Speaker 3: Mad at Ariel Cabell's character, her name's out of my head and I liked her. She was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Who is she?
Speaker 3: Her mom was kind of annoying.
Speaker 1: The long.
Speaker 3: Deans sister, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, who was the most annoying.
Speaker 2: Nicole's annoying.
Speaker 4: I have to go with Dean's sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like her. I like her.
Speaker 1: She was great. But character character.
Speaker 3: Marty was kind of annoying.
Speaker 1: He kind of was anoying. He was kind of annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just love it.
Speaker 3: Doyle is a great. Doyle's pretty great.
Speaker 1: I love Doyle. Yeah, Doyle's pretty great. All right, now, who do you think let's say, let's give let's give our own. I am all in Awards for Best Dramatic Actress, Best Comedic Actress, Gramatic Dramatic Actor, Best Comedic.
Speaker 3: Wow, like we're doing the Oscars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're doing it like the Emmy's or something.
Speaker 3: Lauren Lauren, Laura, Laura Lauren. Everything say dramatic.
Speaker 5: I'm giving it.
Speaker 3: To Paris Geller.
Speaker 2: I'm giving it to Emily, Emily and Emily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought we were giving it to the real actor. Oh, I was gonna get the character. I just give everything to Laura. I slash Lauren. To me, She's just the whole show, is her. I love everything about her, everything, the fashion, the hair, the face, the walk, the talk, the coolness.
Speaker 5: This conversation really makes me want to just get off zoom and start all over the show, maybe.
Speaker 2: To wrap this out, Scott, Like, now that you've seen every single episode before the movies, how are you feeling right now? Like, how does it feel to see all that?
Speaker 1: I feel like I got into acting because I wanted to do theater and film, but only really like kind of you know, like indie film. That's how I envisioned my career being, I'm gonna stay in New York and I'm going to do theater and I want to you know, do really great little indie films and go to film festivals all over Europe and that kind of thing. That's that's what I was planning for. It was shocking to me to end up in Hollywood pursuing TV roles because nobody I came up within the business in New York, in the theater community desired that at all. It was verboten to even talk about it or consider it. But the interesting, you know, funny thing happened on the way to the the what do they call them, the Caesar Awards. You realize you got to pay your bills. So a lot of people ended up out in Hollywood that didn't intend to end up in Hollywood. And I think I ended up in a really good place, having my original plans diverted into something that I know they always say water seats on level, you know kind of thing. So I thought the water with Gilmore Girls was pretty deep. And I just after all of this and going through this podcast and watching all these episodes, I just feel really like I was now I see what the fans are talking about. I never realized what they were talking about because I never saw the show. I didn't understand. I just thought, yeah, they do this with everybody, and you know, they watch TV and they see people, but this shows a little This is different. This is a different type of show. And I'm really proud to be a part of it, you know, And I feel really lucky to have been selected to be a part of it, because I remember the casting process was very very specific. Amy and Dan rejected a lot of big names for these roles because I think every big agency was submitting every you know, sort of even A list and B list stars that weren't working as much in film anymore for these roles. And she just wanted the perfect type of chemistry, the perfect people. She didn't care if they were known or unknown. It just had to be a perfect fit. She she Amy and Dan went with their gut one hundred percent, and I just respect the hell out of that, you know, and it gave me my a shot in the business. You know, I got my shot, and so did so many other people. You know, so many people came through that show and they've just gone on to do great things. I mean, look at Melissa, look at John Hamm, look at Adam Brody, look at Milo, look at you know, what Lauren and Alexis have done. Look at I mean, it's just just incredible stuff. Kristin Ritter, So, I mean, that's right, right, that's just name a few. So it was a real launching pad. I think it's sort of like Seinfeld was. If you could get a Seinfeld episode, you would have shot. And I think I think more girls had the same effect. For you know, a guest actor doing a great turn on Gilmore Girls, they had a shot. Now now that we're going to get meetings like Seinfeld did for me, I started getting more meetings, you know, I start getting more shots at things. So I'm kind of proud to be associated with something like that. That was real launching pad for a lot of people. Yeah, so just lucky, grateful, you know, feel pretty special.
Speaker 3: I think we could say it any better than how you just said it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a surreal. It's it's surreal. And the older I get and the more people downloaded and binge it on Netflix, the more popular it gets, and the more people come up to.
Speaker 3: Me very wild.
Speaker 1: It's wild. It is wild. So I think, you know, I think we all got really lucky the day we got that call from our agents and said they booked you. And you know, and especially in my case, it wasn't as a series regular. It was as a guest star in the pilot. And uh, you know, we played it or I didn't. If it was up to me, I would have blown blown that role because I would have taken the first two episodes they offered, and my manager was like, no, we're going to get a six year deal out of this, and we did a seven seven year deal. Yeah, so she, Uh, kudos to her, and uh.
Speaker 3: It's not over yet, buddy, right.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no, I know, I know. And so we got four more movies, all right, kids.
Speaker 3: And then we'll see what happened.
Speaker 1: Then we'll see what happens. Yeah, and uh, you know, I'm not going to make any speeches right now. I'll save it for after the movies because I'm about to get emotional. So let's just cut this off. Thank you so much for your support, Amy, Tara, Danielle, Suzanne. It's been a wonderful ride. I agree, you know, it's been really special. But I'll save the big speech for later. Anyway. That's gonna do with everybody best, truly mean this, best fans on the planet. You prove yourselves every day. We love you, We need you. Keep those cards and letters coming and remember we and I am all In.
Speaker 6: Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and up again.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.