Speaker 1: Google finally unveils its Pixel smart watch and shows off new Pixel seven phones. We're going hands on plus your tech questions answered.
Speaker 2: What's going on.
Speaker 1: I'm Rich Damiro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer the questions you send me. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to the show. Do not adjust your dial. This is the way it sounds. This is the way it's going to be for this show. Because I am on the road in New York City looking at a beautiful.
Speaker 2: View of Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Well, if I angle my face or my head, I should say I can see a beautiful view. Otherwise I just look into someone else's building across the way. But it's still beautiful. It's still an amazing city. Just walking around New York is so much fun to me. Even though I grew up right across the river and I came here many times as a child, it's just there's something so like you almost can't imagine and living here, but yet people do. And it's a really cool place. It's a very fast paced place to live and there's just so much going on. I man, I walked to dinner last night, walked to dinner both nights, actually almost a mile to the restaurant each time, and it's just there's.
Speaker 2: Such an energy.
Speaker 1: There's just people everywhere, and it's just such a cool place. I mean, to be able to buy anything you need in the world by walking downstairs is such a cool concept. On that note, both times, well, no, not that, Okay, yeah, I guess it was both times. So you know, when I stay in a hotel, I usually put my stuff in the safe and with my wallet. I was walking to the restaurant the first night and I had to turn around because I was like, oh, forgot my wallet and this place was a cash only place, so I knew I couldn't do tap to pay or anything like that.
Speaker 2: JG.
Speaker 1: Mellon, by the way, I heard about it through Bobby flay On. I don't know if it was his podcast or something. Maybe it was his podcast where he talked about it, and it was just such a you know, he's like saying, it's my favorite burger place. Then I researched it on YouTube and people love it. So old school burger joint. You get in there, sit at the bar, you get a burger. It's just such a great ambiance. Cash only, so if you go, they serve the burger by the way with just pickles and onions.
Speaker 2: And that was enough. It was one of the best burgers I had.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was just the whole ambiance, the whole everything adding up together, who knows, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was excellent.
Speaker 1: Then the person I was sitting next to at the restaurant recommended I said, you know, he was a food person, So I said, can you recommend a.
Speaker 2: Place for tomorrow night?
Speaker 1: And he said, sure, this place called Upland, And so I know went there last night and I walked there and this time I made it to the restaurant and next thing, you know, I reached in my pocket for something and I said, oh, no, I forgot my wallet at home.
Speaker 2: So long story short. Asked the bartender. I said, hey, do you accept like tap.
Speaker 1: To pay or anything like that, and she said, no, no Apple Pay. But well, there is this QR code on the receipt that apparently, I guess nobody uses. And I said, oh, QR code, I can scan that and use my phone to pay.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: So I almost said, can you ring me up right now and just let me do a test. She said, no, You'll be fine. She's like, it's on there, believe me. I said, okay, And so we get to the end of dinner a little little trepidus, but it was fine, and I get to the end of dinner, which was awesome, and I scanned the QR code and it was super odd because I was expecting it to be Apple Pay or Google Pay, but the three options were Google pay for a one point five percent I think it was searcharge, then it was Venmo for a searcharge, or you can manually type in your credit card number, which is ironically the least secure way of checking out. But there was no Searcharge. So I said, all right, well, I'm not going to pay one point five percent more. So I typed in my credit card number, which was stored on my phone. And it wasn't stored in Apple Pay or Google Pay, by the way, it was just stored on my device itself, in my password manager. So I don't recommend that you keep that sort of unencrypted. I guess it's a credit card number. If someone gets it, you just get a new card, but it's still a hassle. But anyway, it all worked out. And note to self, remember your wallet. And note to restaurants, please please please start accepting Apple Pay if you go to Europe, if you go to Japan, if you go to Asia, anywhere else in the world except America. For some reason, we have been so hesitant to tap to pay for restaurants. It's everywhere else now you know all the major stores, but for restaurants, if you go anywhere else in the world, they bring you sort of the check which is like a tablet or an electronic like receipt thing, and you just tap your card right on there or you push your card in either way. But for some reason in America we are so hesitant to this change.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. It would have saved me last night.
Speaker 1: A lot of hassle, a lot of stress because we go with our phones everywhere, but our wallets increasingly, it's like that thing that you check for your phone. Typically you check for your wallet and keys. I don't care keys. I barely carry a wallet because I'm all tap and it's just basically form my ID at this point, so and a little bit of cash. Anyway, that's my story. I'm sticking to it.
Speaker 2: It all worked out. But I had two.
Speaker 1: Incredible experiences with restaurants here and it was really, really fun. So all right, let's get to why I'm here. I'm here in New York City for the Google Pixel event. They call it a Made by Google event, and this already happened, so I don't know why I'm talking about it like I'm here for it already or waiting for it. But it was yesterday and Google showed off as expected. It's a highly anticipated smart watch, and then the Google Pixel seven phones. So let's start with the smart watch because that's kind of the newest, latest, greatest. So this has been a long time coming. And the best way to describe this smart watch is it looks like a real watch. It's very minimalistic. I love the design. Actually it's circular. It reminds me a lot of like the Samsung Galaxy watches, like the early.
Speaker 2: Models, and also the Motorola.
Speaker 1: Three sixty I think it was called. They both have that round face, very smooth, very polished, looking almost like a stone on your wrist. With the you know, they have a whole bunch of different bands. The bands are you know a little bit tricky to get on and off, but I think it'll take some getting used to.
Speaker 2: But they work. Nice little screen.
Speaker 1: It's forty one millimeters case, so it looks really slim on your wrist, and I think it's a great looking watch.
Speaker 2: It's water resistant.
Speaker 1: It's got nineteen different watch faces and they're all customizable. I love some of the watch faces on here. You can get really nitty gritty with how you customize them. And let's not forget this is Google's version of a smart watch. So on Apple it has been amazing. It has been a great experience, but you're very much limited to what Apple wants you to be able to do on that smart watch. And we haven't seen a lot of pick up for third party apps or you know, a lot of functionality on those apps. Like most of the stuff I do on the Apple Watch is pretty much Apple related, right, So Siri very basic, I'm you know, because it's just not very useful.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else.
Speaker 1: Apple Maps I don't really use except when i'm walking getting walking directions because I'm forced to use it, so I'll do that. The rest of this stuff is really just workouts and even music. You know, you have your choice of Spotify, which never really downloaded my music properly, so that was kind of a pain.
Speaker 2: And then Apple.
Speaker 1: Music, of course works flawlessly, so you can go to that, which is what I ended up doing. So, you know, the Apple Watch is fantastic and I still think it is the best smart watch out there, with a caveat being you have to have an iPhone. A lot of people have Android phones, and it's been pretty limited to either a Fitbit or you know, a Samsung device, and Samsung is is very much in the Samsung ecosystem. So this watch now gives you access to the number one thing that I think is awesome, which is Google Maps. Number two Google Assistant, which is just fantastic. So those two things alone make this a really compelling device to me because if you're on Android, you want Google Maps and you want Google Assistant, so it's got access to those things. It also has all of your notifications. The Fitbit smarts are fantastic because they literally built Fitbit into this watch. Now, fippit is very smart. They've been around for a very long time, so the stats you're going to get from that are going to be incredible. They have a focus on your active heart rate. So the minutes that I only care about are the active heart rate minutes each day, which is like I try to get thirty. But you've also got excellent sleep tracking as well on this device, so it's so minimalistic and slim that it's easy to wear to bed because you're not gonna you know, it just doesn't really make you think too much about the fact that you have something on your wrist because it's so lightweight, and obviously you can do the all the fitness tracking on there as well.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else you've got.
Speaker 1: Emergency so it can call someone if you feel unsafe. Fall detection is coming soon. That's kind of a miss on Google's part, Like what I mean, they took like so many years to make this watch. Why couldn't they just do fall detection. I don't know what's the other things They've got ECG, so that's similar to the Apple Watch. You can do your ECG, you've got your sleep score, you've got your breathing rate, heart rate variability, all kinds of workouts.
Speaker 2: Now here's the thing.
Speaker 1: They're going to try to get you to subscribe to fitbit Premium on this watch, which I think is six six or seven bucks a month, so I don't know if you're going to need that. They give you six months free. I have not tested that just yet. I don't like the idea of paying for another thing, but I may break down and have to do that, or I guess I will break down and just sign up for the free trial for six months.
Speaker 2: They also have an LTE version of this watch. So the regular version.
Speaker 1: Which is GPS, is going to be three hundred and fifty bucks. The LTE version is going to be four hundred. If you have Google five, I guess you get the watch plan for free, which is kind of cool. Battery life they're saying twenty four hours of battery life. And here's the other thing that I kind of forgot to mention with the fitbit tracking is that this watch is taking a heart rate measurement every second, whereas according to Google, most smart watches take that reading every five seconds and only every second when you're actively in a workout. So they say by taking it every second of every day, you're gonna get more accurate trends, more accurate stats. And that's pretty incredible that you're getting that. I think that's gonna be better for figuring out things like are you going on a run or are you going on a walk? I mean, five seconds seems like it would be adequate, But you know, Google's pumping up this one second thing twenty four hours of battery life that is to be seen if that's with the always on display or just with you know, the display that comes on when you.
Speaker 2: Flip your wrist up.
Speaker 1: Overall, I think they did a fantastic job.
Speaker 2: With their first version of this watch. Hopefully it makes it to a second version.
Speaker 1: We know how Google likes to kill things mid product cycle, but hopefully they will make this to a second version. But I think this first version at this point, just seeing what I've seen so far, I have no problems recommending it for a Google phone companion or an Android phone companion. Is it going to be as full featured as the Apple Watch? Is this software going to be a slick? Is it a little more stuttery? Is a little slower?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: In what I saw yesterday at the event, it seems like the software could use a little bit of polish, but that's typical of pixel devices. For some reason, they put them out and then they polish them up over the next year and That's one of the good things about pixel stuff is that it does get better.
Speaker 2: And you know, look on the flip side with the iPhone.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing a bunch of little quirks here and there with iOS sixteen and the iPhone fourteen. So these things aren't perfect. And I think that, you know, as we get more and more feature.
Speaker 2: Rich, it's that's just the way it is, where we're seeing more and more little.
Speaker 1: Kind of bugs on these things. So that's the Google pixel Watch. It'll be available October thirteenth. Okay, I don't have my nice clickity clack typing for the first question of the podcast, but let's get to it. Nancy says, Hey, Rich, hope all is well with you question. I recently moved to an area that does not have KTLA on their cable package. When I first moved here, I was keeping up with KTLA on my tcl Roku, but I replaced it with a Visio smart cast that is Google based, allowing me to download apps from Google Play. But your streaming app is not available there. What's a video owner got to do to get your streaming app and the morning news again? In other words, why is it not available on Google Play? Any chance it might be added.
Speaker 2: I sure do.
Speaker 1: Miss your segments. Thanks for your help and input. Cheers Nancy. All right, Nancy, good question. So I was not aware that Visio smart cast lets you download Google Play apps.
Speaker 2: Which is kind of cool. So Google, we.
Speaker 1: Are not on Google Play. We have a Ktla plus streaming app. It is not available on Google Play. It is available on the three major streaming TV platforms, which is Apple TV, let's see what's the other one, fireTV, and Roku as you knew by having the TCL Roku TV. So this is where things get a little bit tricky with all of these different streaming services and platforms and things like that. So Google Play is big on Android on TV. You know, they have Sony TVs that have it.
Speaker 2: Clearly the video does it. But you know.
Speaker 1: And but the thing is, even though Amazon fireTV is Android based, they don't use the Google Play store for their apps, which I know is super confusing. So just because an app is on Android does not mean it's on fireTV. Just because it's on fireTV does not mean it's.
Speaker 2: On Google Play.
Speaker 1: So Amazon sort of has their own app store with that situation. And then anyway, long story short, you don't care about any of that. You just want to know how to watch the news. The bottom line answer. The easiest way is to probably by a fire TV streaming stick and pop it in the back of your TV, and when you want to watch KTLA, you've got to put that, you know, switch to that input. I know that's a little bit of work, but you know that's just kind of the way you have to do it to get the stream so super cheap. I mean, the fire TV sticks are very inexpensive.
Speaker 2: Your TV.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it's pretty new, So your TV should be smart enough. When you press the home button on the fire stick, it should switch that input automatically. Just put ktlas your first app and boom, you can watch us. And thank you for saying you miss my segments. You can watch them in a variety of ways. I mean, you can go to the KTLA website, you can go to rich on tech dot tv, or you know, like I said, you can download that KTLA plus app. It's all free and you can stream all of my segments. There is a section for my segments on the KTLA plus app. So thanks for sticking with us, even through the move and even through the different TV. I really do like the fact that we've got some dedicated viewers like that. And I know, this whole streaming thing is very complicated, the fact that we have to go and I'm not you know.
Speaker 2: This, it's just the way it is, like the fact that I have.
Speaker 1: To go to Netflix for one movie and you know, Hulu for another show, and then YouTube for something else I want to watch.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: The streaming world right now is all brand new, and it is still evolving. It's still kind of figuring out how it wants to be what it wants to be. In some ways, just having a cable package back.
Speaker 2: In the day was so much easier.
Speaker 1: You know, every night when you watch something on TV, if it's like a Friday night, you're looking literally I am scanning so many different like recommendations and services and things to figure out what to watch. I did find something that I thought was pretty helpful.
Speaker 2: If you go to.
Speaker 1: Rotten Tomatoes, Okay, they've got this thirty most popular movies right Now guide and it is across all services, whether it is streaming, whether it is movie theaters. And I thought that this was pretty handy because Rotten Tomatoes is pretty much like the Gold standard for like movie ratings, and you know, so if you go on this list, you can see what the ratings are of the different movies that are popular, and you.
Speaker 2: Just have to do a little quick search.
Speaker 1: They will even actually if you click the title, tell you if these things are available on streaming. So I ended up watching The Monsters, which I had not even known there was a new Monsters movie on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Probably better that I didn't know, because it wasn't very good. Sorry spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, it was it was fun, it was kitchy, it was you know, it was sort of a throwback. It was an origin story of how Lily and Herman Munster met. It was it was fun. I love the costumes and the set decorations and the vibe of the movie was very fun. But you know, the story was just okay, and it was you know, it was kind of cheesy and it's not something i'd recommend. But if you like the Munsters growing up, yeah, you'll probably be disappointed. But it's still fun to just be in that world of like, I mean, the set direct the set decoration was just awesome.
Speaker 2: I loved it. So anyway, so.
Speaker 1: The Monsters was on there, all these movies were on there and you can see what sort of the rating is, but also where they're.
Speaker 2: Streaming as well. So that's been really helpful for me because.
Speaker 1: I don't watch a lot of TV per se, but I do like to watch movies, and so it's really tricky to find like where all these movies are streaming and which ones are, you know, kind of the buzzy ones.
Speaker 2: But this list helped. But anyway, thanks for the question.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the next topic of the podcast, which is the Pixel seven and Pixel seven pro. So again, Pixel to me is represents just if you want a very solid smartphone that takes amazing pictures, has excellent software Google Smart's built in.
Speaker 2: It's really really good.
Speaker 1: The problem is I feel like it always leaves something to be desired. You're in year out For me personally, I will tell you, if you are a average smartphone user, the basic pick that they make, like I'm talking the Pixel six A, the Pixel seven. These are really really fantastic phones for the price.
Speaker 2: There is not a lot of bloatwear on them.
Speaker 1: The software is constantly updated. I think Google says you get five years of security updates on these phones. I mean, this phone could really last you five years, if you played your cards right with it, if you took care of it and you know, and just did those software updates. Yeah, it might get a little slow towards the end, but it's gonna work for you, and it's gonna take fantastic pictures the entire time, from day one until day year five. It's gonna take really really good pictures without a lot of hassle, without a lot of fuss.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, you can argue rich the iPhone fourteen takes great pictures, and the Samsungs take great pictures.
Speaker 1: Yes, they all take good pictures. But the Pixel takes really good pictures without.
Speaker 2: A lot of fuss. So does the iPhone. But I feel like the Pixel. I personally really love the googly.
Speaker 1: Smarts that they build into these phones, and so that is one of the things I really like about them, is having access to the Google Assistant and just having.
Speaker 2: That great camera experience.
Speaker 1: The video on last year's Pixel six, you know, left a little bit desired. We'll see if the Pixel seven's any better, all right, So what is the Pixel seven all about? You've got Pixel seven, Pixel seven pro. Pixel seven fits in your hand way better. Six point three inch screen. It's got these kind of sand blasted aluminum sides that I feel like are a little bit easier to grip. Pixel seven Pro has a six point seven inch screen, way bigger, way tougher to hold, but it's got a better camera, and it's got better specs all around, more ram, a higher quality screen, bigger battery. Obviously, the thing that they built into both of these phone of telephoto lens. The new feature that they built in or they improved, i should say, is this super res zoom. So now just using the standard lenses on the Pixel seven, you can get up to eight times zoom on the Pixel seven and up to thirty times zoom on the Pixel seven Pro, and these pictures look good no matter what. So, you know, if you look at how most people use their smartphone, they literally just pinch to zoom to figure out how to frame up a picture and then they take the picture. That is the absolute worst way to take a picture on an iPhone, And the reason why is because your phone is constantly snapping between various lenses, and when you're in between those lenses, you're really just cropping a photo. Now that's gotten better on the Pixel sorry, on the iPhone fourteen Pro. It's not so much of an issue anymore because they have a much larger sensor. But on the standard iPhones, your pictures are not as good as they could be if you were snapping or just really staying in the main size, which is the one X lens. If you're snapping to that two X or zooming in even further, you're really not getting a very good shot, a very high quality shot. So this is the reason why on my phones, I always use a little snap to zooms at the bottom, because those represent sort of the optical zoom levels, and on the iPhone fourteen Pro that is one X, two x, three.
Speaker 2: X, and I think that's it.
Speaker 1: I can't I'm using my phone to record right now, so I can't really tell you what that is. But on the pixels now, what they're doing is they're actually using the full sensor and they're doing all.
Speaker 2: The smarts and crops for you.
Speaker 1: So technically, no matter where you zoom from zero to eight or zero to thirty, your shot should.
Speaker 2: Look just as good and just as high quality. So that's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: So they've they say they've achieved optical quality similar to a dedicated two x telephoto lens for Pixel seven and a ten X telephoto lens for Pixel seven Pro, so Pixel seven Pro also has the Macro mode. Both phones have this new feature called Photo Unblur, which lets you unblur old photos. So or even you know a photo that you took with any other device, or any other blurry photo. So you take that blurry photo, you tap photo unblur and Google works its magic and unblurs it.
Speaker 2: That feature at this.
Speaker 1: Point is exclusive to the Pixel seven and Pixel seven Pro, even though I'm not sure it requires the new processor inside the pixel to make that happen. I'm sure they can do this on the older models, but you know they've got to set these phones apart in some way.
Speaker 2: That's how they're doing it.
Speaker 1: Magic eraser still there, still exclusive to the Pixel six now and the Pixel seven Pro or Pixel seven.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else.
Speaker 1: They also showed off this Guided frame feature, which is for the visually impaired. It gives you audio guidance for taking a selfie, which I tried it out yesterday at the event. Really really nice accessibility feature kind of speaks to say, raise your phone, move your phone to the left, and it uses I guess it figures out, you know, if you're looking at the screen or if you're you know, you're framed up properly for a selfie and so that's really neat night Sight was really slow on the old phones. Now they say it's two times faster.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's also now face online in addition to fingerprint unlock on the new Pixel seven and seven pro, So that's going to help you unlock your phone better. Voice typing will search for the relevant emojis, so that makes life a little bit easier. You're also going to get a VPN at no cost included. And this is really aimed at folks who have you know, they've kind of heard about the privacy situation with all of these smartphones and now that Apple has that whole ask not to track.
Speaker 2: Situation on the Google phone.
Speaker 1: If you don't want your activity tracked, you can turn on the VPN. And even though it's a Google VPN, they say they're not going to associate your online activity with your Google account.
Speaker 2: I'll be curious to see how.
Speaker 1: This works with Google Chrome, because typically whatever you do inside Google Chrome is linked to your Google account as well. I thought, but maybe not, and so if you want that security of a VPN and the ability to surf without everything going back to Google, you can now activate that VPN in a click. And that's kind of a nice add on feature. And I think really this is to keep people from deflecting to browsers like Duck Duck Go and Brave, because to have this stuff not linked your Google account, you have to manually activate it. Yes, some people might leave that on all the time, but I think majority will just activate it during certain times and leave it off during other times. And during those other times they'll be using Chrome, which will still be reporting back to Google. So Google kind of wins in that situation. Pixel seven five ninety nine, Pixel seven Pro eight ninety nine.
Speaker 2: That five ninety nine price is a.
Speaker 1: Full two hundred dollars cheaper than the cheapest iPhone fourteen I think for an entry level phone if you don't mind Android, this is a really, really fantastic device and I'd highly recommend it, even though I have not played with it for a long period of time, I'm just basing it on my previous Pixel experience. I really like this phone for a basic budget smartphone.
Speaker 2: Now, if you are a creator like someone like myself who's.
Speaker 1: Doing a lot of video, doing a lot of editing, doing a lot stuff running sort of like a social media world from your phone. You may still need the iPhone. I'm not sure that's what my testing is going to be all about with the Pixel seven Pro, so I will keep you posted on that. But otherwise, solid offerings from Google this year. I think that they are listening to their users a little bit more in the features that they want and the features that need to be improved and the pain points, and I think they just continue to evolve these phones.
Speaker 2: Let's hope that that pixel watch as well survives. I already said that.
Speaker 1: So all right, Cathy says, hello, is there a watch or a fitbit that does EKG for your heart I'm seventy four.
Speaker 2: I need something lightweight.
Speaker 1: It looks like she has an iPhone, so yeah, I mean the Apple Watch is going to do that. The Apple Watch is going to do the heart rate monitoring, It's going to do ECG.
Speaker 2: It's going to give you your highs and your lows alerts.
Speaker 1: If you need something, So I think the Apple Watch is probably your best bet.
Speaker 2: Now if you look at the Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: Compared so there's there's the Apple Watch se and then there's the Apple Watch Series A.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna recommend the Ultra to you. I don't think you need that.
Speaker 1: So if you look at these two, the s will give you those high and low heart rate notifications. It's not going to give you the ECG app. So you need to get the ECG app to get that feature that you want. Now, the ECG app, I believe, was introduced all the way back on the iPhone or the Apple Watch Series four. So if you get one of these Apple Watches on sale somewhere and you're wondering, like, well, the series four, Series five, Series six, or Series seven do the same thing, yes they will. Now, I personally would recommend just getting the Series eight because you want the latest, greatest, Because this watch can last you a good four or five years, So why would you go with something that's already four or five years old when you want to get four or five years of use out of it. So I would say, if you need something that's going to be like a fall detection, go with the GPS plus cellular, which is five hundred. If you need just GPS, go with the four hundred. But that's gonna be probably your best bet.
Speaker 2: If you were.
Speaker 1: Android, I would say to go with the new Google Pixel Watch because that also does ECG and I think it's lightweight, it's great you leave it on all day.
Speaker 2: So those are two good options for you. Thanks for the question.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about CS twenty twenty three, happening January fifth through When is it kicking off?
Speaker 2: January fifth?
Speaker 1: So? CS says the in person event is on track to exceed twenty twenty two, and they think it's going to be the largest in person business event to take place in the US since early twenty twenty. Also, the show footprint is on track to be more than forty percent larger than CS twenty twenty two. I went to CS twenty twenty two. I was one of the few that went, and I thought it was fantastic. I got a of great content. I thought it was a really great show, even.
Speaker 2: Though, yeah, it was different.
Speaker 1: It was in the height of the pandemic and I think it was omicron at the time, and you know, it's one of those things where people were a little hesitant to go. I had no qualms about it. I figured I'd be fine, and I was and you know, look, if you're comfortable with these kind of things, you go. If you're not, you don't go. But at this point, the events are definitely coming back.
Speaker 2: And is it weird. Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I mean I was at the Google event and the person sitting next to me.
Speaker 2: Had a mask. Actually, both the people next.
Speaker 1: To me had n ninety five masks on, and so I'm like, Okay, are they recovering from COVID?
Speaker 2: Do they think they have COVID?
Speaker 1: Now, we all had to test to get into the event, but maybe if you tested and you didn't feel comfortable, still you wore a mask.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the reality is, you know, I'm on the plane and I'm feeling like, you know, if someone's coughing, I'm like, oh gosh, this person's gonna get me sick.
Speaker 2: So yeah, is it different? Is it weird? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, because we're so used to these past two and a half three years of like, you know, no handshakes and the masks and the coughing and this and that and the boosters, and so it's definitely a different experience for me personally, I feel very confident in going to these things and taking the precautions that I personally feel comfortable taking which is, you know, sanitizer, washing my hands, staying out of situations where I feel very uncomfortable, and that's it.
Speaker 2: And so far, knock on wood, it's worked for me.
Speaker 1: But everyone's level of comfort with this situation is different, and so I'm not judging. I am totally good with whatever people want to do. I personally will be at CS and it looks like their attendance they think their tenants goal of one hundred thousand dollars or one hundred thousand dollars one hundred thousand people they are gonna hit, and so we'll see. Some of the big companies this year include Amazon, AMD, Google, Qualcom, Roku, Samsung, Sony, Verizon, and some of the key themes this year transportation and mobility, digital health, metaverse.
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty.
Speaker 1: New, sustainability and human security for all CS happens January fifth through eighth. Media Days are taking place January third through fourth, So I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I always love CS and I think it's going to be a great show. All right.
Speaker 1: Next question from Cookie. Cookie says, hey, rich At and T has a trade in where you can get an iPhone fourteen for free.
Speaker 2: I currently have.
Speaker 1: An iPhone twelve Pro. Would that be a smart move? Or should I stay where I am? Thank you, cookie, Cookie, it's not really free number one. What they're doing is they are taking your old phone, which is your iPhone twelve Pro, and they are giving you an iPhone fourteen. They're giving you an inflated trade in value right for your iPhone twelve Pro, and then they are going to take that trade in amount and they're not giving it to you all at once. What they're gonna do is they're going to give it to you over twenty four to thirty six months. So what does that come out to? Okay, so let's do a little math here, So eight hundred dollars. Let's say they give you eight hundred dollars right divided by twenty four, So they're giving you a credit of thirty three dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, if you sold your iPhone twelve Pro, now I don't know how much storage you've got. Let's just say you have the basic iPhone twelve Pro one hundred and twenty eight. Let's say it's like new, it's whoops, signed in or signed out, so you would get four hundred and sixty five dollars for this.
Speaker 2: So let's just say you took.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred and divided by or took out four to sixty five, so that'd be three hundred and thirty five dollars you would be on the hook.
Speaker 2: For divided by thirty three.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so you would have to pay three hundred and thirty five dollars for the new phone. So if we divided that by thirty three, which is how much AT and T is giving you, they're giving you basically ten months of credit when you should.
Speaker 2: Be getting I don't know, I'm you know.
Speaker 1: My math has gotten all convoluted, But the bottom line is, look, is it a good deal? Probably not?
Speaker 2: Is it an easy deal? Yes? And should you go for it?
Speaker 1: If you want to be on the hook for twenty four months with AT and T, it's fine. I personally don't like contracts. I don't like deals like this. I would not do it. It's not really free. They're really holding you to twenty four months of paying for AT and T service, which is probably more expensive than you would get just buying service that didn't come with this free iPhone. And there's a lot of plans out there there's you know, are you using your AT and T plan to its full maximum potential?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you need a full by the way, you have to be on one of their premium unlimited plans.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing to get this, do you need all that? I don't know.
Speaker 1: So these are the questions that you need to ask yourself. I don't like these carrier trade in deals because they sound sexy, they sound great, but when you really do the math, you're paying a lot for convenience and they are locking you into a rather large contract when in this world we live in, there are no more contracts for cellular service. Now they've got us on these new trade in plans that kind of maskraade as a great deal, but that the bottom line is you're just you're kind of they're building that thirty three dollars you save quote unquote save every month into your service. So there are plenty of inexpensive plans that you can get. You buy this phone for three hundred.
Speaker 2: And thirty five dollars after you trade in your other.
Speaker 1: Phone, and then you can buy a plan that you activate on this phone that may be cheaper every month on a month by month basis.
Speaker 2: You may save thirty dollars a month, so it's right there.
Speaker 1: But again, you know, this is more getting into financial advice, and I'm not giving you that financial advice.
Speaker 2: I'm giving you just how I see things.
Speaker 1: And I personally get very stressed out when I have a contract with someone that I need to fulfill for twenty four to thirty six months.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of stress. I did this once with AT and T.
Speaker 1: I bought my wife's iPhone on the plan and I just had to pay it off because I couldn't see it every single month. It was like really stressing me out to pay whatever I think it was like sixty five bucks a month for this phone or something.
Speaker 2: And it was just like, h never mind, let me just pay this thing off. And so that's what I ended up doing. But you know that's me.
Speaker 1: If your level of comfort is fine, you like this, it's simple, it's easy. You go into your AT and T store and they give you the new phone cookie. I'm not gonna fault you for it. A lot of people do it, and people feel comfortable doing it, and so that is your prerogative.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you like it, go for it, all right.
Speaker 1: Speaking of iPhones. The iPhone fourteen Plus is now available. I did not review this. I told Apple I did not need a review unit on this because you know, look, it's kind of like an iPhone fourteen but bigger. And I'm just gonna read you some of the some of the review headlines from tech meme and let's see. So The Verge says it is a great battery, multi battery, a bright screen, it's lightweight, it's hard to use one handed. No promotion which is the better screen size adopting eSIM may be painful for some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could or could not be.
Speaker 1: And Gadget says iPhone fourteen plus it's a bigger iPhone. Wall Street Journal says it's a big screen, big battery, not so big price. Nine to five Max says great battery life with familiar hardware. CMBC says it wins on battery life and screen size. CET says it's for people who love big screens. I Think Different says incredible battery life and large screen.
Speaker 2: So are you getting the trend here?
Speaker 1: If you want an iPhone fourteen, which is a little bit less expensive than the iPhone fourteen Pro Max or Pro rather, but you want that bigger screen and that bigger battery. It sounds like the battery is a champ. It sounds like the big screen is a winner. Sounds like this phone is a winner for people who want all those things at a not so increased price. And so I personally really like the big screen phone, but I really don't like the big screen size in my hand. So I just find that these phones require two hands to use. They're a little bit trickier if you're trying to do a lot with your camera and pictures, and so if you if you know, if big screen is your number one priority, I think the iPhone fourteen plus is going to be a great phone. But if you know the best camera and ease of use one handed is your is your top priority, than I think the iPhone fourteen Pro is going to be a better bet or the iPhone fourteen just standard size, because I think that it's just easier to hold in one hand, and that does go a long way with being creative with your phone, taking selvies all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, next question, Jennifer.
Speaker 1: Jennifer says, I don't know if you've heard from anyone else, but my text messages started acting up yesterday. I didn't get a text until this morning and this uh oh, she included some photos in the second text from my iPad shows a text I have not received in my iPhone? Could this be related to the new iOS upgrade?
Speaker 2: Very strange?
Speaker 1: Thanks in advance, Jenny, Jenny, you know, I don't know what this specific issue is, but it's probably related to I'm guessing it's something to do with I messages in the cloud. Something is not syncing properly, something is not working. This happens sometimes. I message is kind of a pain because you think it's a text message, but it's really not. It's really a proprietary messaging system invented by Apple to you know, really keep you on the iPhone and keep you in the Apple ecosystem. And it's fantastic. Don't get me wrong. It's a really good messaging system. People love it. But it's also very confusing, and so for someone like myself who tests various phones with various phone numbers, I've had every sort of issue imaginable where these messages get delivered to phones that are different, and you know, they they're synced up somehow when you disconnect a phone somehow the messages stop arriving when you send a text. Somehow it doesn't get to all your devices. The sinking sometimes may or may not work on all your devices. So there's a lot of issues I've observed with I Message. When it works, it's fantastic, and most people are not like me. Most people have one device, maybe two.
Speaker 2: And it works just fine.
Speaker 1: Now, what I would say with this situation is I would check number one. Go into iCloud, go into Messages, and make sure Messages is toggled on with a green toggle. That will make sure that I Messages in the Cloud is sinking. Your sink could be off. So you can go ahead and delete the thread on both of these devices and see if that kind of gets.
Speaker 2: Things to work again.
Speaker 1: Or you can toggle off I Messages in the Cloud on both devices and then toggle it back on and see if that helps.
Speaker 2: Could it be related to the new iOS upgrade. It could be. There's been some issues.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, I do a radio hit with WGN in Chicago every Thursday, and we've used this app to do the radio hit. It's like a little kind of a mini mixer for your iPhone and it's worked perfectly since day one, but it hasn't worked the last couple of weeks, and I was really sitting there trying to figure out what has changed.
Speaker 2: Nothing has changed, And sure enough yesterday I'm like, oh, could it be iOS sixteen is the problem?
Speaker 1: And sure enough the engineer on the other end or the producer said, yeah, you know what, I think other people have been having these issues.
Speaker 2: I think it's all related to iOS sixteen.
Speaker 1: So whenever there's a new iOS update, there could be growing pains and usually fixes come out, So it could just be that it's an iOS thing and it will be fixed automatically. But I would take those steps that I mentioned. Reset both devices obviously, you know, not factory. Just just restart them and see if that helps too. Sometimes you just need to kick these things back into sync and it will work again, all right. You might have gotten an email from Amazon telling you that Amazon Drive is being what is this word deprecated? Got this sounds so bad, deprecated. Think it's getting made fun of? So what does this mean? Google Drive or Amazon Drive was sort of Amazon's answer to Google Drive, iCloud Drive, OneDrive, but it never really worked out that way, which is ironic because Amazon runs one of the largest cloud services in the world, Amazon Web Services AWS, and somehow they never really figured out Amazon Drive. They could have made Amazon Drive very competitive with Dropbox and all these other services, they just never decided to do that. Amazon's a very consumer facing company on this end.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 1: But the reality is you don't need to freak out about this. If you're using Amazon Photos, that is going to be just fine. Now, if you had Amazon photos and videos inside.
Speaker 2: Amazon Drive, you might want to get those out of there. So here's what this. Here's what it says.
Speaker 1: If you have photos and videos saved in Amazon Drive. Because Amazon Drive and Amazon Photos share the same cloud storage location, your photos and videos in Amazon Drive access the same photos and videos and Amazon Photos, So you are good. Any photo or oh, any photo or video deleted on Amazon Drive will no longer be available through Amazon Photos and will be permanently removed.
Speaker 2: From Amazon after thirty days. Oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: To access your photos and videos and Amazon Photos, please visit the Amazon Photos website or download the Amazon Photos app. Huh Okay, that is a little confusing. So my question is if I uploaded a video file to Amazon Drive, does Amazon Photos see that video file? And when this goes away, will Amazon Photos continue to see that video file? From what I'm reading here, it doesn't seem like it would be.
Speaker 2: Now. I know you're asking me to.
Speaker 1: Answer these questions, so I'm actually kind of confused at this point.
Speaker 2: So it looks like yeah.
Speaker 1: As of October thirty first, twenty twenty two, Amazon Drive app will be removed. As of January thirty first, twenty twenty three, Amazon will no longer support uploading files on the Amazon Drive website. You'll be able to view and download your files until December thirty first, twenty twenty three, so you basically have a full year to do this. I don't have all the answers right now. I can't really specifically tell you if your Amazon Photos inside Amazon Drive will stay in Amazon.
Speaker 2: Photos after drive goes away. I know that sounds very complicated, but.
Speaker 1: It's weird because this same thing happened with Google Photos and Google Drive. So back in the day, if you upload it to Google Drive, your photos would be seen in Google Photos. And then once they got rid of Google Drive and Google Photos, that link they you know, all the photos that were in Google Photos carried over to Photo. Sorry we're in Google Drive, carried over to Google Photos, and so it's weird, but I still have them in my Google Drive. I mean it's really really complicated and I.
Speaker 2: Haven't figured it out after a couple of years.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if I'm gonna figure this out in a year. But just something to be aware of, something to keep track of. Just know that you may want to start if you rely on Amazon Drive a lot, which you probably don't, you may want to start just having a plan for getting those files out of Amazon Drive and into somewhere a little bit safer, all right, as Baldough, As Baldo says, Hey, good morning, good afternoon. Just wants to know if there's something wrong with iOS sixteen for my iPhone. Ever since the update came out, my phone is not recognizing some of my apps. My banking apps tells me I have to register my device, and it's not doing that. I register every single time, tells me to reregister. Just trying to see if there's any problems with it. Please let me know. Thank you, As Baldough. I think you are seeing a common problem because I noticed the same issue with my phone and I can't tell if it's because I switched phones or because of iOS sixteen. But yeah, I noticed I had to relog into a bunch of my banking apps. So when you switch or upgrade operating systems, a lot of things just work, but sometimes they don't, and sometimes your phone just kind of resets that kind of identifier that told your bank like, oh, this is a safe log in, and we've logged in from here before, so I assume this will work itself out. I don't think that it's a like a hack or anything like that on your phone. I think that just relog in. Now you're saying it's telling you to reregister your device every single time, so I don't know. That seems odd, so that could be a problem. I would definitely restart your device and just you know, make sure you do all the iOS updates. There's been a bunch of them. I think there's another one that's going to be coming out here any day now. So I would definitely do that and just keep an eye on this. But it's kind of a little hassle if you're just being a password manager and all that stuff. Hopefully it's not too much of a hassle, but I would, you know, it seems like it's something that is pretty common after the update, hopefully it will stop happening.
Speaker 2: But I will tell you it's it's happened to me.
Speaker 1: So feel feel warmth in the knowledge and knowing that it's not just you, it's your phone.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about this story.
Speaker 1: Boston Dynamics, along with a bunch of other robotics companies, according to Axios, says that they are pledging not to.
Speaker 2: Support the weaponization.
Speaker 1: Of their products, and they're calling for others in their industry to do the same. According to a letter first shared with Axios, let's see which companies are in here, Boston Dynamics, Agility Robotics, Anybotics, Clear Path Robotics, Open Robotics, and Unitary Robotics. They all say we are not going to use our robots for war. Oh wait, hold on, well, does that mean they're not going to use them for war or weaponizing? I think they Let's see, okay, so they say okay. We believe that adding okay doesn't say not for war, says not for weaponizing. So we believe that adding weapons to robots that are remotely or autonomously operated, widely available to the public, and capable of navigating to previously inaccessible locations where people live in work raise new risks of harm and serious ethical issues.
Speaker 2: They said in their letter.
Speaker 1: They pledge not to add weapons, technology, or support others. When possible, they'll review customers plans and hopes of avoiding customers that would turn the robots into weapons. So technology, they say, for robots to be broadly accepted throughout society, public needs to know they can trust them, and that prohibits bad actors from misusing them. So, I mean, look, it's kind of a loosely worded letter. They say that they're not going to add weapons to them, but that doesn't prohibit customers from doing that or modifying these things or using them for war. But kind of interesting, and it's not just war.
Speaker 2: I guess could be for policing, police.
Speaker 1: Departments, all that kind of stuff, public safety, whatever, But you know it's robots are going to Look, all of the technology that we have in our world is creating new challenges for the status quo, and robots are no different.
Speaker 2: And they're just.
Speaker 1: They are just at the beginning. We are just seeing what robots may be capable of, and as that evolves, we're gonna have to figure out more and more things that deal with robots.
Speaker 2: So good for these companies to sort of put their foot down. But we'll see how it works in the.
Speaker 1: Long run, all right, Bob says, Hey, Rich, can you recommend a good DVR for broadcast TV? Thank you, Bob, Yes I can, Bob. My favorite is called Tableau, super simple, super easy tableau over the air DVR. It's what I use. It's super simple. If you have an antenna on your roof, it works great there. You don't have to pay the monthly charges if there isn't like I think it used to be five or ten bucks, but it's you know, you.
Speaker 2: Don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: It's it's very limited in the DVR if you don't you know, with your recording schedule, if you don't pay, if you do pay every month, it's just like a TVO. And so it's for over the air channels, which a lot of people rely on and like. But Tableau is super simple. Tablo and let's see how much they are these days, so they have a whole bunch of different models. So the simple over the air light which is just one recording. Oh two tuners actually, so you've got two tuners in there. That is one hundred and twenty nine bucks, so super easy, super simple. There's even a sale for thirty dollars off right now, so you can get that for ninety nine bucks. Wow, that's pretty good. Let's see what the next one up gives you. So okay, So you've got two over the air channels at once, okay, and then you've got one with more storage. Then you've got a quad DVR, and then a quad DVR with a storage included. So the main thing about that light one I talk about is that storage is not included, so you would have to plug a hard drive or a USB stick into the back to get the storage on that thing. But if you're just streaming live, you don't really need that. But if you want to record, yeah you need that.
Speaker 2: So if you.
Speaker 1: Want that built in, you can get the one twenty eight DVR, which is gonna be a little bit more. Let's see how much that is for the convenience. You are paying one seventy but again minus at thirty dollars, so really one forty so forty bucks to not have to have one more thing plugged into the back of your TV and the back of your DVR, one more cable.
Speaker 2: I would say, go for that one twenty eight.
Speaker 1: If that's not gonna be enough, then they also make a one terabyte or you can just add your own hard drive and be fine with that.
Speaker 2: So great question there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the next question since I think I'm done with all the things I want to talk about in the show. Next question from let's see here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, so many questions. Wow, okay, let's see. Oh my gosh, so many questions.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of emails about the bedtime situation that I talked about on the last show. In fact, I helped my wife because she uses the regular alarm, and I said, okay, Lynn, you've got to switch to the I talked about my podcast. You've got to switch to this whole you know, clock based health, you know, workout whatever, not workout, but in the in the health app, you can set up your sleep and bedtime schedule. And she goes, yeah, I did, and it's fantastic. I can't believe that I never did that before. And I was so excited to hear that, because you know, now she's waking up to a gradual alarm and not the blaring clock alarm that is typical and so a lot of you wrote to me and said, wow, Rich, what a life saver. I love it so much better. You know, it's just so much greater. Why does an Apple really advertise this?
Speaker 2: They should? And my wife said the same thing anyway.
Speaker 1: So Neil said, wonderful podcast. You handle some meati questions for me. I like your description of the bedtime, sleep time or feature. I use it and really like it, but I'd like to be able to adjust it via shortcuts any ideas there. Shortcuts are sort of Apple's answer to you know, routines on Bixby or tasker on Android.
Speaker 2: Or rules on Google Pixel.
Speaker 1: It's kind of just automated things that you can make your phone do with either a shortcut or a tap or a voice shortcut. I don't know if you can adjust voice series shortcuts or shortcuts for the.
Speaker 2: Sleep schedule and situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see what you'd want to do, like, you know, tap it to adjust your bedtime to nine am one day, eight am the next day.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: But the person who I'd recommend for this, his name is Matthew Casanelli, and Matthew Cassanelli is the Serrie shortcut master.
Speaker 2: I believe he.
Speaker 1: Sold his shortcuts app to Apple, and that's the basis of serie shortcuts, so he kind of knows a thing or two about series shortcuts. But I would search his website and see if he has a bunch of shortcuts for sleep. I don't know if he does, or if that's even possible, or if that's even something that is, you know, just doing a quick search on his website. Oh, it definitely looks like there are some things you can do edit my sleeps cut. Oh yeah, there's a bunch. Oh yeah, set bedtime by Oh yeah, there's a whole bunch. So it looks like he's got a whole bunch. I check him out. Matthewcassanelli dot com. Matthew Cassanelly dot com. All right, that is gonna do it for this episode of the show. I think you've heard me speak into this set up long enough.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to submit a question for me to answer, go to my Facebook page, Facebook dot com, slash rich on Tech hit the big blue send email button, or go to rich on Tech dot tv and hit the email icon. I'd also love it if you would rate and review this podcast. Just go to the listening app of your choice, write a quick line about what you like about this show to help others understand why they should listen. You can find me on all social media at rich on Tech That now includes TikTok, which I'm gently, you know, tiptoeing into the waters there, but kind of having some fun there. No matter where you live in the US, you can download the free ktla plus app on Apple, TV, Fire TV, and Roku. Once you do, scroll to the tech section and watch all of my TV segments on demand. My name is Rich Demiro. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many times, so many ways you can spend an hour of your time.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate you spending it right here with me live from New York. I'm Rich Demiro, well pre taped in your case.
Speaker 1: If you're listening later, which you probably are since it's a podcast, I'll talk to you real soon.