Speaker 1: James Cameron loves strong women. That's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's way and a strong woman. That's why you married Catherine Bigelow.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, because she looked she throw you on the room. Now, yo, the nickname from my plus used to be hurt locked. Now we'll hearting on.
Speaker 1: And now.
Speaker 4: Why can't you look at me? Look at me? I see you in a reflection. Don't look at my reflection. Look at me. I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Just add that to the pilot.
Speaker 4: Then I met my.
Speaker 3: Husband, who's duds, and I called the Holland tunnel because gas is cheap on the other side. And now that I'm married and tired, I called it brim a triangle. Just get up, Christopher Columbus and find your way.
Speaker 4: Is it haunted? Maybe it's been a long two years.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Hey everybody, we're back with another episode of adulting.
Speaker 3: We sure are, honey, and today, oh boy, dude, we got a truth for you.
Speaker 4: It's the one, the only, the incredible short.
Speaker 3: Our conversation with her is nothing short of inspiring.
Speaker 1: You are not kidding, my friend.
Speaker 2: So sit back, relax, and let's have a little pre salida chat.
Speaker 4: Welcome to adulta, Hey, friend, how you doing. Hey, I'm just pretty. Whoa, I mean, I'm not bad.
Speaker 2: You're not bad. You're coming into the studio. This is just one of the myriad things that you do. I mean, now you're a full on boss.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've always been a boss. That's bitch, though.
Speaker 3: Did I tell you When I was little? I think I was seven or eight or maybe even nine.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 3: I made a magazine at a construction paper and the cul de Sac I lived in, and would like drop it into everyone's mailbox.
Speaker 4: And it was called Head over Heels and it was.
Speaker 3: A severed head that I cut out and put it into like a shoe that I made. Whoa, No, it was like a head that I made. It was very literal.
Speaker 4: I was like very young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was just like a newspaper, like a weekly news clipping that I would draw of all the things that happened on the cul de Sac, like someone's dog was barking, someone didn't pick up the dog ball. You know, the flowers are in bloom. And I thought it was so cute and productive. But the neighbors ask my parents to have me stop putting stuff.
Speaker 4: In their mids.
Speaker 2: Make it stop, right, was anybody like, hey, when is the Christmas issue coming out?
Speaker 3: I did have a Christmas issue and nobody cared and it was just like, is kwans of real?
Speaker 4: That was like my first one.
Speaker 3: Nobody can't and it's just like, how dare you?
Speaker 4: Did you have anything that?
Speaker 1: Did I have anything like that?
Speaker 3: I've always been a busy person though I love community, so that's I think that's where that started.
Speaker 2: I did participate in a magazine when I was a small child in the fourth grade. My friend John Searcy naming names published a magazine and he was brilliant beyond his years. And that was the first time I had ever understood anxiety. She's like, where where is your story?
Speaker 1: Where it's the deadline?
Speaker 2: And I was like, huh, Like I didn't know what anxiety was. You know, when you're a kid, it's just like what But yeah, I like put in my story. He would print it out on his zeroxit his dad's office, and kids would just like read it and be like this is good. All the kids in school loved it.
Speaker 4: You know that is so wild?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think it is important to support what your kids do, even if it's silly. Oh absolutely, you know, like, I can't wait to see what these kids come up with.
Speaker 4: I used to do it.
Speaker 3: I used to do a cabbage patched kid in Pound Puppy Club, sure on Saturday mornings because my mom wouldn't let me watch cartoons because she thought they were like dumb and American.
Speaker 4: No fruit roll ups, no sugar seees. God, I know, we're just jail.
Speaker 3: Was no, it was like a switch prison. It's like it just looks better than it was. This is the thing you can't really deny someone something like parents were like no snacks, know this, know that. And then when I got to college, I just like ate everything. Yeah, yeah, what I mean, So you can't I feel like, don't tell you use especially with like sex.
Speaker 4: It's like smoking weed. Getting off topic.
Speaker 3: The point is I was a boss ass bitch and I'm still a boss ass bitch. And I feel like you have people working under you now, not under me with me.
Speaker 1: You people working directly under you.
Speaker 4: No with me.
Speaker 3: This is the difference between my cannitellia and yours.
Speaker 4: You can't wait to boss people around. Uh No.
Speaker 2: I got an assistant for the first time after I told you to get an assistant for forever and you're like, You're.
Speaker 4: Like, I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Everything's stressing me out.
Speaker 2: I was like a kid and assistant that I was like, that was like a year before you gotten I know.
Speaker 3: People have been telling me that I need an assistant for like five years. But people tell me what to do all the time, and I don't listen. You know what I mean, right, like you should try a Cayenne lemon fucking fast, Like people are always telling me dumb shit, and I'm like, I got this. But there was a point where I did feel like Donald Duck under like a pile of gold, where I was like, there's just like one finger sticking out. It was just like an embarrassment of riches I could share with no one yecause.
Speaker 2: I'm tired, because you needed to like delegate that and get that together.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that you finally have. Oh my god, is amazing. Her name is Alex. She is friendly, but she's really friendly. She's not like fake friendly, which is great. She doesn't JOKEO like such a hard New Yorker.
Speaker 4: She's like, how you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm like good, I guess with the state.
Speaker 4: Of a family.
Speaker 3: She loves dogs like I am like John goes back. Diane Lane muslif dunks. Yeah, because I've got two big, black, beautiful beauties at home and they're a mess and she don't mind, which is great. She's great with kids, which is especially great with me and my husband because he's the third kid.
Speaker 4: He oh so yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I always talk about people as like chosen family, and it almost feels like that where I'm just like, thank you so much for fitting into my world.
Speaker 4: Don't everlate.
Speaker 3: Sometimes at the end of the day, I do feel like the terminator, do you know what I mean? Just like again getting back to the one finger, just like.
Speaker 4: You don't remember the end of the time.
Speaker 2: A yeah, of course, don dun dun dunn, Don dunt dun.
Speaker 1: You think remember a terminator?
Speaker 2: Linda Hamilton racking a shotgun.
Speaker 4: With one arm. Let me say, a jaw. What is one look that you've always wanted to achieve but you never could.
Speaker 2: Probably like wearing a muscle shirt out on a you know, like in a fire escape while playing the trumpet.
Speaker 4: Look, I will definitely book you.
Speaker 3: I'm just getting vibes of like the black dude at the end of Pretty Woman.
Speaker 4: Oh that's me. Yeah. A store in this door store. Who is this mystical magical Miro.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but he did his thing, Honey. He was the only black person in that movie. You love that we were arguing about Pretty Woman.
Speaker 4: Were we arguing or having a debate.
Speaker 2: We're having a spirited, healthy exchange of ideas.
Speaker 3: Because you thought it was Remind me what you thought Pretty Woman? Well, you thought it was not a great look.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a bloated, transactional horror escape.
Speaker 1: And just this.
Speaker 2: The terrible worship of capitalism in the exchange of flesh and how women are owned.
Speaker 1: And I did not like that in any cana.
Speaker 4: What did I think about it?
Speaker 3: You're better at something this up than me, because I don't remember.
Speaker 2: You were like, let it live, it's great, we love it. And then everybody who had written all this stuff at AMC to help me out in this argument was like, She's right, she's so funny, winning and charismatic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do like, look, you never know how you're gonna find love, right, And so the fact that the fact that Julia was like, I'm doing my job, but then like you know, she sort of falls in love with this guy and sees how vulnerable he is and powerful at the same time, and same with him about her.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a cute everything though, Like I think people just like they are suckers for a meet cute.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, we all are. Everyone wants to know the story. That's how you end every rom com too. But like at this point when you said meat cute, I just I'm hosting a show on Netflix called Barbecue Showdown and everything else, like the other kind of meat is. I'm like, meet cute, right, you gotta get smoke rings? What about the juices? But yeah, I mean that is the number one question, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you ever had like a meat cute that didn't go anywhere many years?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's your what's your most memorable meet cute?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 3: I really have to go back to my book survirval Thick is available on paperback and hit up that chapter Game of Hose, which really just explores sexuality and body positivity and coming into your own and not being ashamed of it book. But you know, I think anytime that I've put myself out there where I have done the first handshaker hello is like.
Speaker 4: A pat of my back for a meat cute.
Speaker 3: I am really tired of everyone saying that shit has to happen to you.
Speaker 4: You can make it happen for you.
Speaker 3: And that's why I always say open your mind, your heart, and your legs to love.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But I think the ultimate meeque was obviously my husband. Yeah, because I was out.
Speaker 3: On a very terrible day before with a guy who was not worthy of my time. But I was in New York and feeling myself and you know, I didn't necessarily like even want a hand to hold. I was also just like, I don't know how to end this. And so when he finally said all the terrible things he should, I met my husband like minutes later.
Speaker 1: Wow, he was waiting in the wings.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like ce okay kind of yeah.
Speaker 4: He's like, do you want to dance? I'm like, okay, oh, that's right. You were.
Speaker 1: You were at Binbee.
Speaker 3: Bebe you guys. Is just like, this is a great thing about New York. There's all these little pockets of lounges, not necessarily clubs. Yeah, if you want to go out dancing, you don't have to like wait in line like you're in Vegas or like at Disney World.
Speaker 4: You could just walk up to like a little lounge.
Speaker 3: It looks like a regular ass door and you go inside a whole fucking moment. It was an international, free every night dance lounge where there'd be dudes with dreads. They'd be white or black, we don't know. With the jorum, there's like really cool artistic bartenders, cash on le bar where you can buy over price squava drinks.
Speaker 4: You can get spun by seven different tunes.
Speaker 3: Everybody looks like a backup dancer for Shakiro, and it's just like, it's amazing. It was amazing, and so you know, I'm really glad I met husband in that sort of situation. And not like no offense if you're this guy, but the guy at the wine bar with his book and his muscles look and his little artisan coasts on the same page for seventeen hours, I'll see you, bitch, with your red lips and your mom's credit card.
Speaker 4: I know your game.
Speaker 2: That was very specific, I have to say, though, I mean, of course, Pantheon Hall of Fame, meet cute me and my wife. Yeah, of course, although lately this happened to me Ego Stroke went to Grace Parr's wedding.
Speaker 1: I love Grace par hilarious comedian and I was.
Speaker 2: In La for it and I was there unfortunately solo doo. I come out of my hotel in my tuxedo.
Speaker 4: Was it white?
Speaker 3: No, that's a miss. That's a miss. Yeah, no, a white taxiedo. Just hear me out here me out eleven spices.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm in my I'm in my own bought tuxio.
Speaker 1: I own one. Be an adult. Be an adult own a tuxedo.
Speaker 4: Wow, men's werehouse coupon.
Speaker 1: Cole's cashulew.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah no.
Speaker 2: So I had the tux and this lady she just goes, you look really good in that tuxiedot it up.
Speaker 1: I was like no, I was.
Speaker 2: I was waiting for my car and she's like, you look really good in that tuxedo. And a woman looked like she just, you know, nice looking white lady. And I was like, thank you very much, tall, short, what color hair, blonde hair, brown eyes. She was going out for the evening as well, and I was like, thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much, and occupado goodbye, Like you know, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, that's right, but it isn't the best feeling, like yeah, still got it, still got it was the best feeling still got it is the best feeling.
Speaker 1: I just said thanks. I just said thanks.
Speaker 4: That's all you need to say. Yeah, that's all you need to say.
Speaker 3: The best feeling used to be when someone recognized me on the street and I'm like, oh, that's why i was tap dancing for all these fucking shows. But now I'm just like okay. But like when someone's just like, good for you, you're doing You're looking good. Yeah, And it's always different for like a woman getting a compliment, because it's sometimes just gross. Like I was walking back in the day to uc B in the West twenties in New York City, and this guy I said to me, damn, MO love to use you as my coffee table.
Speaker 2: It's like, what the fuck is that mean? Does that mean he's gonna put like Rizzoli art books on you? I think I understand what it means.
Speaker 3: Yes, can you please get this Cape Cod Martin book.
Speaker 4: Chester? But I don't even know what that means. And I was like, you're grosss.
Speaker 3: But like if someone compliments to you on your style and it's just like, damn, you look good.
Speaker 2: That's great, Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited about our guest today.
Speaker 1: Yes, me too.
Speaker 4: I mean every time I see her, I get happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Like I never know what she's thinking by her face. That's my favorite. She's just like whatever. She's Atlanta raised. Okay, but I feel like you're so Brooklyn. She's a comedian, a writer, a co host of The War Report podcast on current events. She has not one, but two comedy albums, Motherfucker Yes, and she also just recently appeared on Peacock's.
Speaker 4: New black comedy Black. Why are you doing that with your hands?
Speaker 3: Dad? The bust Down? She's on the bus down, Please help us. Welcome Sharp.
Speaker 6: Was lovely. Okay, ye talk to me. I was actually born in Brooklyn.
Speaker 5: Oh see, you can tell yeah Atlanta business.
Speaker 6: When I was eight, I left my family behind and moved to it. No, my family moved to Atlanta when I was eight.
Speaker 4: Did you divorce your parents?
Speaker 6: At me?
Speaker 4: That is true? Therefore, I know I.
Speaker 6: Wish, but I mean they were lovely people, but I probably wouldn't have thought of that until like eleven.
Speaker 2: Wait, so are you a wings enthusiast because you're from Atlanta?
Speaker 4: I am not?
Speaker 1: Wow you are you different?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean they're they're lovely and I wish all wings well, but it feels like so much work. It feels like so much work, and I've got there's so many other reasons to judge me.
Speaker 4: Other ways.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's so I'm there are many other things that I'm doing that are probably problematic, not problematic, but probably wrong.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 1: You not liking wings. It's more wings for me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I have them. But I mean, by the time we get the wings, I'm just like, you know what I understood. Why do the strip clubs in Atlanta have so many wings? Oh? I guess because you're going to be there a while. Actually I was. I was in a strip club for a friend's work. Not that one.
Speaker 1: It was actually Strokers.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, okay, yes.
Speaker 2: I.
Speaker 4: Remember when it opened.
Speaker 6: My dad and we drove by and my dad was like, wow, they didn't even try Brokers.
Speaker 4: And yeah.
Speaker 6: So I'm there for friend's birthday and I watched a man come up to the bar, everyone greeting.
Speaker 4: Him, Hey, what's up. He's like, hey, what's up. He came up to the bar. They already had his wings ready, Yeah, sure, sure in front of them.
Speaker 6: Now the thing is in Atlanta, the strippers are completely nude.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: And they serve alcohol, so that is that is how they would get there California.
Speaker 4: You cannot serve alcohol, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and some places they castes are under some sort but yeah, no we busting it, busting.
Speaker 4: It wide Sea of Florida. No, yeah, have alcohol. And it's like.
Speaker 6: So there, you know, the things are going on around him, but he is focused on his basket of wings, sitting at the bar, just cleaning him, just sucking marrow out, just like whistle clean. And I'm watching him just go through so much, just like here are my fresh ones, here are the remains, and just going back and forth. And then he finishes, and he takes his wet nap and very elegantly wipes off his fingers and then puts that in the basket, pushes it aside, and then turns around in a stool and then opens his arms up like.
Speaker 4: Ladies, I am ready for you now. And I was like, all right, well, I've seen all I need to say that is yuck.
Speaker 2: After you get your sixteen wings, then you're ready for the table. You know that he's going to be there a while.
Speaker 6: He must tip well, because they already had the wings ready.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: So I'm like, I can't even really hate because if they love him at Strokers, he must be treating them right.
Speaker 4: You know, it's so funny. Okay, So I was thinking about this today. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So my husband from Europe doesn't understand that takeout might be shitty takeout. He's so pure and he's just like, if they serve you the foodage should be done well. Why would they not poking holes at the top to keep it crispy and like that, And so we have we always have like a phone call with Seamless or Uber Eats where he's just.
Speaker 4: Like, how dare you?
Speaker 3: And I'm like you, I'm just thinking about the person leaving Strokers or any strip club, being like, I can't believe those fucking wings were terrible? Do you think anyone is just like absolutely, I'm so mad they gave me all flat tops.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, because there are enough strip clubs serving wings that you can pick like, nah, I like that one for the girls, but the wings are tighter over here, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean? And so yeah, you absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean I feel like, if you're going to spend that much time and money in a place, it all needs to be right for you.
Speaker 1: Do you go back to recharge? Is your family's still there.
Speaker 6: My sister is still there, and I do try to go back as much as possible.
Speaker 4: It was a little rough.
Speaker 6: We of course, spent a complete year apart, which was the longest in her life of her not being around me. I mean, I had a good three years before she showed up, but just throwing bottles and stuff and being weird standing at the foot of my parents' bed sure them out.
Speaker 4: But then she came around.
Speaker 6: So we did get together around the holidays, and we recently.
Speaker 4: I told jokes on a cruise.
Speaker 6: It went really well in that it was like a chartered cruise, you know what I mean, So everybody there they were there for a reason.
Speaker 3: So the assignment absolutely. Oh I've done like the cruises for families.
Speaker 4: That are Carnival cruise and stuff like that wasn't carnival. I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: I really had to black it out. For cruises for comedians, you have to do an early show, which is like a clean show, and then the late show that's a dirty show. And so I just completely bombed and the early show and then I had to go have dinner with everyone that was at.
Speaker 4: The show in the same time. Yeah, I'm like, you'll.
Speaker 3: Get it next time. I'm like, I am not here for this. I had a terrible time in a cruise. I'm so glad you are our unicorn.
Speaker 6: You were the really was the luckiest situation because I mean, it's my first time on the cruise.
Speaker 4: I had to get baby's first passport. Yeh, where'd you go?
Speaker 6: We stopped by NASA and Saint Croix and then apparently cruise ship's own little private islands right around the Bahamas, so we stopped in there, and my sister and I went to a cabanda that I think you were supposed to rent, but they had already unlocked the chair.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Saw the woman look at us and just go, yeah, we'll let him have that.
Speaker 4: I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, not to circle back to strip clubs, I've also done stand up in a strip club really, Yes and Queens and there was hot food, which was good.
Speaker 2: I think I did stand up in that same Yeah, we're on the same show.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know. We've been doing stand up for a while. But like, I just love all the places that stand up.
Speaker 4: Will well, I've taken you. Yeah, it changes your eye.
Speaker 6: I I've been teaching some comedy classes and one thing I tell the students is that from this point on, every place you go, you're going to look at the corner of that room and go. I mean I could probably put something there right, like a little actually.
Speaker 4: Everywhere you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah absolutely. So what makes a good show space for sure to comedy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it never will be conducive, So you guys got.
Speaker 4: I don't know. No, it's never gonna work. But I mean you can see it where it's like the not the worst show, but like the worst venue.
Speaker 2: Sometimes bad venues can be amazing shows, though, you know, if it's like intimate and dank whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna say sports bars. Did quite a few sports bars while in the South, and.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, if they really want.
Speaker 6: You there, they'll turn off one of the television one. Oh that's huge, one that is huge. It won't be the one that's directly over your head, No, but it's one by the kitchen or something.
Speaker 4: Sure, but yeah, those are usually rough.
Speaker 6: I did one in a in the sports bar once, and halfway through my set, a kitten crawled.
Speaker 4: Out of the PA system.
Speaker 6: What the act I wish because it got a great response, and I was like, I'll take you. But the guy who had put the show together kept his PA system in his garage and they also had kittens in there. I guess some cat had gone into the garage and had kittens, and so one of the cats crawled into the PA. So he drove around with that speaker in his truck all day, had no idea set up the.
Speaker 4: Speaker still in there.
Speaker 6: Two other comics went before me in addition to him, you know, opening and hosting.
Speaker 4: Nothing.
Speaker 6: I start and the Cat's like, I can't do this anymore, Oh my god, this, I must leave the cat.
Speaker 4: I walked the cat.
Speaker 6: Not only did I walk the cat, the cat found a home on the show at the show because his wife explained, Oh, it's because these kittens in the garage and someone's like, i'll take that kitten.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what is happening here? No, you are the sea lea for that cat. Yeah, you're the Sealy.
Speaker 4: You're the.
Speaker 3: I must walk you out of the show. Chlice walker.
Speaker 4: You guys, I'm trying. I am so tired. Oh are you not late night?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, No, it's just twenty years of comedy and forty four years of the patriarchy.
Speaker 4: That's where I'm tired.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that I feel like I've been tap dancing in and just like I feel like a fat ballerina around men's egos.
Speaker 4: Other than that, I'm fine, Yeah, especially mine.
Speaker 1: She feels very nervous.
Speaker 2: Wait, I gotta know you started in the South and it like, yes, wow?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 6: Fine? I started and I guess what would be considered the alternative part of it, which just means that it was an open mic in a dive bar that was very popular, and that's you know where I started. And then at the comedy club that you could get to on public transportation because most of them were way out deep in the suburbs and you had to have a car, and I started with no car.
Speaker 4: Wow, some rules.
Speaker 3: Too, especially in LA you need a car too for the open mics. Now, what are your other comedy rules? Will you date a comedian?
Speaker 6: I've done it one and a half times and a half halftimes a half.
Speaker 4: Day, well the point five. He didn't really have much drive, so when it came.
Speaker 3: To dating or comedy, yes, now, actually dating, he had a lot of drive and that he was dating many people at once, but comedy wise, I think he was one of those that like he had started and was just wondering why the industry wasn't checking for him yet.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it was like, I mean what like Our.
Speaker 6: Biggest argument was he had talked to someone about doing a show and their venue, and that person was like, well.
Speaker 4: Can you do like twenty? Do you have twenty minutes?
Speaker 6: And he was a gas that anyone would ask him if he had twenty minutes? And I said, well, actually, do you have twenty minutes? No shade, no shame, I don't know I have. I've only seen you in five minute increments, So do you have twenty? And then he was furious again and he was like do you have twenty? And I said, honestly, when I moved here from Atlanta, I had thirty, but I had in Atlanta thirty, which has now been cut down in New York to like New York. Wow, we'll ask the comeding answer right there, because it's the currency exchange rightly, so it wouldn't all translate. And he was just like, I don't even know that, and I'm like that. That's how it ended up going into my brain.
Speaker 3: I love doing comedy in New York City, especially for the clubs, because it's so international, Like you really have to figure out that's your international set. I feel like in New York City at a comedy club because you have a table from Germany and then a table from Australia, a table from the Bronx, a table from Canada, and it's just like, what are you going to do to make everybody laugh?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So that's like such a great answer because I don't think a lot of people moving to New York about that at all, but you know who does?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, well because I'm an old lady.
Speaker 4: So I mean I moved to New York at forty? Was and what made you decide to move to New York at forty.
Speaker 6: To see how much I loved actually doing comedy because I started doing comedy at like thirty seven, and I was like, I really am enjoying this. Let me go to New York and try to stick it out as long as I can, as long as my knees will allow, you know.
Speaker 4: And then and then figure it out just shouting vitamins.
Speaker 2: When you moved from Atlanta, did you move in SlowMo away from a burning house, like not look back, get your ship.
Speaker 6: I definitely my second day in New York, I was like, oh, I've made a.
Speaker 1: Terrible Why was that? Why did you feel that?
Speaker 6: I was just like, I'll go and I'll just I guess I'll just get me a.
Speaker 4: Job and then I'll just get me a job.
Speaker 6: Exactly when you think I'll just get me a job, you are in no way prepared prepared, But let me just grab one of these jobs, man.
Speaker 4: I mean I.
Speaker 6: Did in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't. The delusion that makes you think you can make a whole room of people laugh is the same delusion that's like.
Speaker 4: Let me go on up here and get me a job right quick. But you need that.
Speaker 2: I yes, but you need I think it was Frandly Boyce talked about that you need a little naivete when you're coming to New York.
Speaker 1: She said, like her first thing that she did was she walked.
Speaker 2: Into the offices of the New York Times and was like, yeah, you know what, I would write a couple.
Speaker 1: Of columns for you if you want me to do that.
Speaker 2: And they were just like, I'm so surprised that anybody would do that. That they were like, I you know, it's that kind of thing. It's that kind of thing. But don't you feel that way? Like it feels like you needed that a little bit. Oh No, I had come to the.
Speaker 4: City, need to just be like duh, you know what I mean. That's how it was when I started comedy.
Speaker 6: I felt like, kind of the way to make it through a lot of the bullshit is to be dumb about it.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, just like huh.
Speaker 6: Wow, and then keep going like oh that's humph clock it when you see it, and then don't interact.
Speaker 3: Think that would work, and that is such a superpower that nobody ever talks about because it's just like that's something you have to figure out on your own two.
Speaker 4: And what I love about.
Speaker 3: You moving to New York to pursue comedy at forty is that I don't know anybody else that would do that. But you know what I mean, and I mean for better, because everyone talks themselves out of what they should be doing. I always see my most talented friends are the ones that are in a corner, second guessing everything they fucking do. And it's these basic bitches that are out here just being.
Speaker 4: Like, look at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, at any and every age, and it's just like they can't even come close to what we can do. And so I love that you didn't talk yourself out of shit. You're just like, let me go see because the realization in New York, which is like a masterclass of life and adulting, whether you're twenty or thirty or forty, it's just.
Speaker 4: Like, oh shit, how am I going to do?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 4: Is so yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I remember calling my parents and talking to them and just breaking down at how how hard it was. And my parents, now, my dad had grown up in New York.
Speaker 4: He was a how you say bedsty do and or die. I've heard of this. He was one of those.
Speaker 6: And my mother grew up in Middle Georgia and then moved to New York when she was like eighteen. Like as they were trying to give her her high school diploma, she was like thanks, I'm out by Yeah, so she had some frame of references to the toughness of just going up there. And I guess I'm a little I wouldn't say stoic. I feel like I'm emotional. I just don't know if I portray it a lot.
Speaker 4: You don't. And I love it you don't love it.
Speaker 6: So my parents, even with my parents knowing me since having me, they still were like, who is this bitch? Like crying on the phone and they were just like okay, but you're going to figure this out, right, like you're gonna are you coming back? Like what's happening? It's been like a month. And I said no, I'll get it. I just it is a lot.
Speaker 4: It's a lot.
Speaker 6: And they're like okay, all right, cool, cool. And my mother was like, I know, it is a lot. And my dad's like, well, just do it. This is what you wanted, right, And I'm like, yeah, they are both trying in their own ways and I appreciate that and I'm just.
Speaker 4: Gonna keep going.
Speaker 2: So coming up at forty, I mean I said this about myself a lot too, like I always think of last best chances.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I was like, I think I in twenty twenty kind of like set myself up for my last best chance.
Speaker 1: In comedy, you know.
Speaker 2: And because I was like I'm forty, like I really need to annie up and kick in. Did you feel that way too, Because if you're saying you're forty when you came here and now you're on bust down like it's like, I mean, it's an amazing thing.
Speaker 6: It's like, actually I feel a little bit of that now because I'll be turning fifty this year, yes quick, And so I'm like, I gotta I mean, were running at a all of the replenty, like we're at of eggs, lubrication, we're running out all the cartilage.
Speaker 4: We gotta we gotta, we gotta work it well.
Speaker 6: We can't love this so at forty since I already started so late and was just in the throes of it, just in love with it, I was like, yep, let's go, let's do this.
Speaker 4: And now I'm like, okay, I seem to be in this. Now you're in it. You're in it, so now what?
Speaker 6: And I am trying to not be a person who is like you mentioned Michelle, like in the corner, just like I don't know, I'm trying.
Speaker 4: To not be that person.
Speaker 6: That's That's what I've been working on over the past couple of years of just like you know, you've stopped every other caper that you've started. This is not a caper. This is not a scheme, This is not just something you're trying.
Speaker 3: You like, you're in no more imposter syndromes, like yeah, once we really fake it, Yeah we made then we're like, oh fuck, we're making.
Speaker 4: We're making it dope, right.
Speaker 3: And I just I just I love that you're in the New York comedy scene. I really do we need more voices like you. We need more faces like you. Yeah, and also women who fucking say their age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what are we not doing happen?
Speaker 2: We can bleep that out the fifty thing. We can blep that out. It's not wait on, I'm slow.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this though, what was your defining moment when you were like, because you said you came here at forty you started thirty seven. What happened at age thirty seven and you're like, fuck this noise, I'm doing this well.
Speaker 4: I had wanted to do stand up since I was fifteen. Oh my god, and I.
Speaker 6: Finally it's a little morbid, but I was like, Okay, I want to do this. My mother had had a serious stroke when she was like forty six, and so she was paralyzed like on her right side, and so I'm penciling my stroke in at like forty one.
Speaker 4: Let me go ahead and just do comedy once, right.
Speaker 6: So I could say that on some old bucket list thing and then I can say that I've done it.
Speaker 4: So I went up and my first set.
Speaker 6: As I was doing it, you know, you disassociate and you float above and you watch yourself do it. And then I got annoyed because I was like, oh no, this is what I have to do for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Now I got to figure out how to change my life.
Speaker 6: So as I am telling jokes for the first time, my brain is also like, so, like, what do we do now?
Speaker 4: How how do we do this forever?
Speaker 6: Annoy that was annoyed that I now have to do comedy for I had a thing about what like a passive aggressive pimps, like.
Speaker 4: You know, just down what's a passive aggressive.
Speaker 6: Just one who's like talking to his employees and it's just like, well, I mean I get you know, just like you're not going to hit him, but you're just like, oh, it seems like other people are able to do it, but I mean if.
Speaker 4: You can, you can't work with them. The mother in law energy.
Speaker 6: Like that whole thing just kind of goofy things like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got some questions from audience members. This is very exciting. Oh this is a nerdy one, so perfect for you guys.
Speaker 1: We wear glasses, right, I don't guess is actually.
Speaker 4: Your eyes are bad nerve.
Speaker 3: Okay, the question is what's the difference between a four oh one K and an IRA which gets me closer to early retirement?
Speaker 2: Do you want to take this because maybe you have a stronger prescription than that.
Speaker 6: I not, I will say, but they are progressive. So I do have two prescriptions. Let's see the IRA. I think there's something there with a ros IRA. Both of them are things that I have signed up for without knowing what they are.
Speaker 4: Right me too, I thought it was IRA the whole time. I would love to meet IRA. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and uh, if you take money out of the four oh one K, you will have to pay taxes on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you take money out of the four one K before and a half years old, yeah yeah, you can stand for independent retirement account. But you can take money out of your IRA if you're making like your first home purchase, Okay, you can take you can do that, and then you can also I think borrow against a four oh one K for the same purposes, but like four one K is it's employer base, so it's your it's the company that you work for. It's their retirement fun and hopefully they'll match whatever you put in.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a good company, and it probably isn't if you're in a mayor Listen, good luck though. My husband's from Holland. These motherfuckers take like three month vacation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's wild. That is wild.
Speaker 3: Think it a whole year off from eternity, lee, right, so they can heal, you know.
Speaker 6: So I'm just like, I have things set up for retirement, and yet I also don't actually see myself retire ring.
Speaker 4: Right, you know, you know what I mean. I'm like, I don't even know what that world is.
Speaker 6: Like, I literally see myself doing the makeup for my Netflix special in the bathroom of my day job, do you know, Like that's how I see these kind of things.
Speaker 3: I'm with that Woopy Goldberg, Joan Rivers, Betty White life where I want to be an adult diapers hosting SML. I want to I definitely as to the bathroom. Yeah, oh, this is a fun question. I recently moved to BK. Lately, lots of friends and family have wanted to visit I'm still new to the city and having a heart time figuring out how to best host them, and I want to create a dope New York experience.
Speaker 4: P s. Also, I'm black. Can't be done. Then, Oh that's impossible.
Speaker 6: She's saying that she was black because we would have said just tell them to stay somewhere else, and she's like, well, i'm.
Speaker 4: Black, so take that off the table. I think it's like, right, I'm black.
Speaker 3: And then also, I'm going to have a really hard time trying to impress them or have anything.
Speaker 4: Be the way that they want it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, show huh the walk and just tell tell you folks, they're gonna have to walk.
Speaker 4: Lots of cares. It's okay, it's fine. Tell them they won't get murdered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can feel it.
Speaker 2: After like three blocks with black family, they're just like, where where is MoMA?
Speaker 3: Then yeah, we gotta meet mama.
Speaker 1: Oh we ain't even got the Googenheim.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just explain to them comfortable shoes and say even if they don't match, mom, wear the comfortable.
Speaker 4: Shoes, yes, please don't.
Speaker 6: And and those sandals are not just because they're flats doesn't mean they're comfortable.
Speaker 4: Two more questions. These are real cute. Okay.
Speaker 3: The first one is if my partner wants to eventually move across the country, how do I thoughtfully engage with their wants while realistically prioritizing my own goals?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Okay, so you.
Speaker 4: Don't want to go? Is so you don't want to go? I'm hearing.
Speaker 6: What I'm hearing is you don't want to go? How do I picking up of a sense of I don't want to go.
Speaker 4: I don't want to go? So you don't want to go? So how do I? This is my out. It is also a side note, right okay?
Speaker 6: So what then you're gonna have to do is decide real quickly the thing that you're trying to save.
Speaker 4: What is this thing that you're like?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I want to rest the fact that you have to leave, But I have this that I'm working on.
Speaker 4: What's the this? Have you ever done long distance? No? I barely do.
Speaker 6: Next to me, so, oh, my goodness, full of advice and I got nothing.
Speaker 3: Uh huh no h I did long distance for two years in New York to Amsterdam for my husband with my husband with my then boyfriend, because I knew there was no other Dick, I want to sit on right, Like, I mean, when you know, when you know that's this question, isn't I just But for me, what really helps me is a pro and con list, like like I actually have to write it down and I say this all the time. Once I figure out the why, then I like kind of have the answers. It's like, why do I not want to go?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it be exciting unless you don't want to leave your apartment, your goals or be with this person anymore?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is a very genteel couple and I would love to see them mark you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It feels like they would never just come out and be like that. It's just like, yeah, but I'm feeling this. I'm feeling that I'm not getting through to you in the manner by which I think. They're both customer service representatives and they're locked in the ultimate conflict.
Speaker 6: No customer service representatives would yell at each other because they have to stay calm for the customers.
Speaker 4: That's why there's always coming home and young at our kids. Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I really feel bad.
Speaker 3: I have a couple of friends, like what you're saying where they really can't express how they're feeling because they don't want to be the bad guy and hurt each other's feelings deliberately. And so they're like their insides are literally like burning up because they're like holding it all in, right, yeah, and so like we'll just have like a gallon of wine or a box of wine and.
Speaker 4: Bring a bucket of.
Speaker 3: Way we all have purple lips and we can finally talk about it.
Speaker 4: It's like Game a Trivia was so long. It was so long.
Speaker 3: Give the about Jacob, bitch, tell him how you feel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think that's it. I think that person just has to say, oh no, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if I want to go, and then see where it goes from there.
Speaker 6: I bet you at no point has a person gone.
Speaker 4: I'm doing this. Yeah, we got to own it.
Speaker 3: That person has to happened. Oh, it'll take care of itself. Sometimes that happens where it's it's like, oh it didn't work out, Okay, I don't even have to like.
Speaker 4: Do a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, but that is holding it a fart for so long.
Speaker 4: It is hoping wish your If anyone knows what it's like to hold the farts me and you're welcome. Guys, you're welcome for this whole side of this small room.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I had the sweet potatoes, you.
Speaker 2: Did have the sweet potatoes. Those are ruders and tutors.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is an exciting question. What I love is that it seems like a simple question, but it is. It really is people needing help.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, So here's the question.
Speaker 3: What's one routine I should add to my life to make my workday or regular life more exciting and.
Speaker 1: Fruitful, more exciting and fruitful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Get this because you get stuck in the mundane of responsibility and what you like child rose, thank you so much, and some dried mango slices. But then you want to do something fun and new, but you don't want to. I don't want to go to a class. I don't want to meet new friends. I don't want to have to like sign up and let like I could barely want to like pay for an app. Sure, so, how do you add something to your life to make it more fruitful?
Speaker 1: Fruitful?
Speaker 6: Try making a food that you've never had, not just ordering it, but actually cooking.
Speaker 3: You got snapped? Can you snapping that mic again.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, fruit, that makes it fruity.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I feel like that that might be it because if cooking is your thing, then that's a way to get into.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And if it's not your thing, well now we're trying that. So even if whatever you cook isn't great, at least you tried.
Speaker 1: I find that about cocktails.
Speaker 2: I have a cocktails book, and I love like making a newbie.
Speaker 3: You know, my husband froths an egg white stick right off. Wow, I'm right, one little gentle like syrup, be cherry cherry thing, and I'm gonna pretend.
Speaker 4: Pretended because that's delicious.
Speaker 3: Oh, the little egg white frothy.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me, are you Yeah? Are you kidding? Like, thank you for elevating this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It is all gutta all the time.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about egg froths and fucking blow jobs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you are just so much. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Go to Shaula's website or listen to her podcast.
Speaker 4: The War Report.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just listening to you looking for it.
Speaker 2: I was listening to this episode of the War Report where you were talking about how you were when you were a kid. You're sick and stay home and you just wanted to sleep and that was it. And then like you lived across from a bowling alley and a grocery store and you was yeah, yeah, it was just that made me laugh so much. Were you like a grown up when you were six?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's looking like it's looking like from stories things that piece together is looking like I've been not necessarily an old soul, but definitely a crotchety old man like I've definitely been Benjaminities.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think old souls become young spirits.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, well then my sister was definitely the old soul, whereas I've just stayed crotchety throughout, throughout, throughout, just a steady like humph. There's always an element of so funny.
Speaker 3: I don't get crotchety, but I definitely get like stone, like the Stone Colt, which I love. But I think there's a lot going on under there, and so I'm always like, what is it? That's what I love about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, everybody, please go and watch Chile show Bust Down.
Speaker 1: Is it out now?
Speaker 4: It is out?
Speaker 2: It's out, amazing, amazing, can't wait. Can you tell me just a little bit about your character before we have to go.
Speaker 6: Oh sure, Well it's a show that was put together by Langston Kerman, Chris Red, Sam Jay and and it's basically just them being extremely silly based in the casino in the Midwest, and I'm on an episode.
Speaker 4: Where they are dealing with the homeless.
Speaker 6: Actually wow, so I'm there as one of their former employees.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well fantastic's so thank you for fucking coming, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: I love that so much. Yeah, like what a beautiful ass story. I mean, like I said, very inspiring. Yes, Like I was just like, damn, what's my excuse?
Speaker 4: You know, No, I mean, you're out here doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But she's doing she doing it, doing it and yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing, Like no one's gonna bet on you like you, you know what I mean, Like do fucking you. Don't wait for somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know, don't wait, just.
Speaker 2: Be your own advocate, get out there, do it. I hope people listening today are like, yeah, I'm gonna do I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Like, get your ass off the couch.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna give me some Kim Kardashian, don't fucking be lazy, get your ass up and fucking okay.
Speaker 4: Caim no, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's really important for people to know it doesn't matter how old you are or how much experience you have at something. If you really really love it and you feel the desire to do it, do it.
Speaker 2: You don't have to tell everybody. You don't need everyone's permission. But it's just the messages that we're getting from society. It's like the twenty under twenty, the thirty under thirty, the forty, you know, like that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It's like youth is prized.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always say that people love logic. They love the black and white. They love like, well, it's either.
Speaker 4: This or this.
Speaker 3: But real love and growth and experience and humanity is the shades of grain between.
Speaker 2: Oh what you're gonna put it on?
Speaker 4: I don't know yet, sandwich a magnet. I don't know yet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But I say that all the time because I had a surrogate from my kids. But that doesn't make me any less of their mom.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's not as black and white that you get to have a baby and be a mom. You can be a mom, but without even having kids, you know, you can just take care of people. And so I don't know, I'm just really inspired by SCHILEI wah. And what's so exciting too, is that she's about to turn fifty and she's only getting started. Yeah, right, Like that's the fucking dope part. Like I can see it. It's like real fucking fun to watch.
Speaker 2: So let's ask h this which is which is kind of our wrap up portion of the evening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's been your rose? What's been your throne? What's been your bud?
Speaker 4: Rose? Thorns, buds? You go, you go?
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, let's see I'll start with Rose.
Speaker 4: Rose? Was that?
Speaker 2: And maybe this is a little selfish, but I got my first, really, my first offer on something that I didn't ever audition for.
Speaker 4: Nice is a good feeling, right, that's a really.
Speaker 2: I was like, I had to read the email a couple of times. It's like, are you are you sure?
Speaker 4: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: This is art?
Speaker 3: What do you remember what I told you at the Ponce Dellion situation when we were having an overpriced pretzel.
Speaker 4: When you told me you're doing the AMC show.
Speaker 1: And I cried, Yes, I remember that so well because.
Speaker 4: I knew it was happening. Oh, well, what.
Speaker 1: Was happening that I was becoming something?
Speaker 3: You are always something, but now people are starting to recognize it.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sweet, You're so sweet. No shit thorn this week, haven't had one yet and oh you can just skip it. No, I haven't had I really haven't had one it yet. There hasn't been like a down spot. Yeah, but we're only halfway through the week, and I guess one to grow on is just and it always remains.
Speaker 1: This is being more organized.
Speaker 2: Just being more organized, being more responsible for my things, yeah, and really looking out for myself at night. My mornings go really well, but my night prep I make excuses as to why I shouldn't, like.
Speaker 1: Why charge your phone, why wash my face? Why do anything?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: That's me and eating at the end of the day, Like I'm so good for the first half of the day, and then when I just get home, I'm like, hell, yeah, I just need to stuff whatever I can in my face and go to bed.
Speaker 1: You ever taken a little bit of chocolate and peanut butter and just throw that.
Speaker 4: Wait, yeah, and put it on top of ice cream? Who the fuck are you talking a bit? Who the fuck are you talking to? I don't wear anything with zippers anymore. This is a coat. There's no buttons or.
Speaker 3: Zippers, but rose, thorns and bud you know, I have They call these three year olds now they're so sassy and grown.
Speaker 4: They call them three najors.
Speaker 3: So I have a couple of three majors, y'all, and just a whole ass opinion. And what about what just everything's all everything just ice age or blue ey or I don't want to wear these socks or don't touch me, mama, I don't like that. Don't don't do my hair uh or cut my nails, like all over the plane. Their cute litt a cute little mouths all over the place, and so no, I don't except my rose is that they I see their little minds developing and they're becoming so independent and wonderful and juicy and yummy. And my thorn is that I lost my temper in the car because they learned how to open the door that.
Speaker 4: The black mom at a target came out.
Speaker 3: I was like, don't you can't ship, don't do that shit that's dangerous.
Speaker 4: I was like goo ga ga good.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, please don't do that because but I already saw them just so disappointed with me, and they shut down and I just pickme up from daycare and we were all so happy to see each other, and they just like try to open the door, and they were proud of themselves for opening the door. But I also was like in the middle of a fucking road and was on the freeway. No, no freeway, it was a back road.
Speaker 1: But still do that.
Speaker 3: So I apologized to them. It was the first time I had to apologize to them. Wow, because they understood that I did something bad.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you a question, please, did your parents ever apologize to you when they got uprest?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Then that's a really cool thing because my parents ever apologized to me when they get upset, And I think, uh, breaking that cycle is It's really important, especially when you don't have any examples.
Speaker 4: Be the change you want to see. I know that sounds so hashtaggy.
Speaker 1: But that's kindy.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but everything everyone livesing hashtags and like T shirts and topeggs. You're like, yeah, hashtag, I know, but it's true. You really just treat people how you want to be treated, even if those people are your people and they're little people. Because I don't want them going around yelling at people for no reason, losing their temper and they're all gonna they're already gonna do that because they live in New York, I know.
Speaker 4: And so the bud is that we are growing together. Hey, you and the kid.
Speaker 3: Oh for Fox you guys, thank you so much for listening to our show. We appreciate you, We love you. We don't know who the fuck you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you guys have any donations that you want sitting with, didn't I almost feel.
Speaker 1: That like that, like like we're brought to you by donation.
Speaker 4: I know who wants some coffee beans? Anyways. Yeah, take care of yourself, but don't forget to wash, Like especially, just check.
Speaker 3: Under your fucking fingernails, people, like, just look under your fingernails, look behind your ears, looking, this is your assignment. Everyone, Look in those crevices, okay, like what we do in the shadows type shit on your body.
Speaker 4: Just do that because yuck. That's all. That's all.
Speaker 3: I gotta go, bye bye.
Speaker 1: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 4: Our senior producer is Natalie Wrinn. Senior Managing producer is Hannah Kyle Kriton. This episode was sound designed and mixed by Andrew Eapen and engineered by Ryobam. Our guest booker is Patrick Cotner. Our theme song is by dj on Will. Photography by Chris Spender, most.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Jamie Bechtel.
Speaker 3: Executive produced by Karen Kilgarriff, Georgia Harstark, and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 4: Follow the show on Instagram at Adulting the Pot.
Speaker 3: Email your questions to Adulting Questions at gmail dot com mm HM