Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reezon Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, well, come, welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome home.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode eighty six of Native Lampod, where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. We have a lot going on in the world right now. I'm with my co host Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gilliam. I'm Angela Raie. Y'all, what do you want to talk about today?
Speaker 4: Well, as you said, Angela, there is a lot going on in the world in the news today. Budget budget, budget, budget, budget is top.
Speaker 5: Of mind from you right now.
Speaker 4: And I'm also interested in us possibly weighing into this big, big, big big verdict that came down this week. Maybe we can, at least amongst the three of us, hope our listeners sort of navigate this strange land we're in.
Speaker 6: The verdict you're referencing, of course, is the verdict in the Sean Puffy Colmes trial that came down on Wednesday. So definitely will join you there. But what I'm most interested in talking about is our viewer questions, because we have a few viewer questions this week and we've asked you how to submit your questions, and I just want to thank you for taking the time to submit them.
Speaker 7: So we want to get to those.
Speaker 1: And I want to just highlight briefly, or maybe it's a low light from a low life something that your president said about how he intends to handle United States citizens who have committed crimes. Maybe maybe if they've committed crimes. So we'll get into all of that and much more. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 8: My name is doctor Charity O. Yettojee. I'm a hematologist and researcher focused on improving care for people with sickle cell disease. I received a notice on June sixteenth, twenty twenty five that mikey award a five year, seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars federal NIH grant to improve care for people with sickle cell disease as they age was suddenly and unjustly terminated despite strong scientific evidence and early proven results. Determination notice stated that research with equity objectives does nothing to expand our knowledge of living systems and our quote unquote lower turn on investment and don't enhance health, and also are harmful to Americans. These statements are inaccurate and disrespectful for so many reasons. Sickle cell disease is a painful, life limiting genetic disorder that can be inherited by people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds around the world. Sickle cell disease primarily affects black people in the United States. My research was focused on developing the first and only functional assessment in the first and only exercise program tailored to the unique needs of older adose fiscal soul disease called sickle FIT. Ending this project not only silences promising solutions for a neglected group of patients, but also sends a devastating message to future researchers that even life changing, evidence based science can be discarded without cause. My question is what can be done to overcome these grant terminations and how do researchers doing impactful work for underserved populations find a way forward?
Speaker 5: Thank you, you know.
Speaker 4: The frustrating part about this lady's is the there's already not enough research done on the diseases that have unique impact on our community. I'm reflecting on the doctor's question, which had so many I'm the only I'm the first and only you know researching in this and will provide the you know, the first and only to this, and for that to be just ceremoniously and quite quite quite harmfully not factually dismantled. It's crazy. As she read some of the words from the letter that she received, I was thinking, what AI bought from, you know, from Donald Trump's government produced this letter as as as filled with inaccuracies as it was, and I can only imagine the doctor's frustration. I will just say, and and Angela, you probably have a more direct, maybe way forward for her here. But these were dollars that were already appropriated by the Congress. Remember the Congress is the appropriator in our system of government, signed into law by a president. These are dollars that were already determined to where they were supposed to go. The government just needed to write the check, send the direct deposit, whatever it is that they do, and Donald Trump then held that up. I know that a number of agencies that have been impacted financially by some of these early decisions have decided to go to court and sue to have that money come through for them. I don't know if that's the route for the doctor or if there are other suits that she can potentially join onto. But I believe that there are still grounds here for litigation and for the third branch of government to help make some sense of this thing. That how does a budget get passed, signed into law, appropriations made, and the check gets stopped by Donald Trump and never delivered for the life saving and groundbreaking research that it was intended.
Speaker 1: This administration is doing that all the time. There was a release that came out this week that said that the Department of Education withheld school funding to the tune of six point nine billion dollars that was already allocated and supposed to be sent from the Department of Education, which you all know now is you know, in the works of being dismantled. And I think what's most important is, as we're on this podcast, the Congressional Black Caucus is holding the floor through a UC process trying to get unanimous consent. Is what you see stand for for a democratic amendment on Donald Trump's budget, which he's named the Big Beautiful Bill. We've called it the Big Ugly Bill, We've called it Trump's Bad BBL. All of the things. We've had a marathon since Monday at six pm Eastern deconstructing this bill that causes great harm. And what we need to understand is that one point three trillion dollars is going to be reallocated from Medicaid and SNAP in other programs to support people who are considered the least of these if we are to use biblical terms, and frankly just moved over transferred to the wealthiest Americans among us, the top twenty percent. And I think that when you consider that, when you can no, it's actually people with less money than that. But when you look at the gap between the folks who are in six figures and in the bottom half of that twenty percent and the folks who are in the lower rung of the economy making under thirty thousand dollars a year, the bottom twenty percent, it is astounding. And the gap between the rich import is only going to be exacerbated by what they're doing in this bill. And I think the worst thing is, you know, we keep giving people these high hopes that we're going to be able to change their minds, that we're going to be able to appeal to the inner moral compass of Senator so and so yesterday or sorry, earlier this week. It was Lisa Murkowski, who we knew was not going to pivot. And so we keep telling people if you apply pressure, if you apply pressure, they will do the right thing. Will they will?
Speaker 3: They?
Speaker 1: There's a list of twenty something members in the House of Representatives who people have been asked to call. And I'm at the point right now where I am tired of asking people to take all of their good intention attention efforts and put them into a feudal fight for people who only care about doing what is right for the people who write them campaign contributions and to appease Nebuca Nezer who is Donald Trump. They don't care about anybody else. And I will rather us be very clear eyed about what we do have. So we've spent just as much time on this marathon educating about the harmful impacts of this bill. Do you know how many people in this country don't even know this is happening? And it is the most harmful legislation that will be passed in our in modern history, in modern history. So we got to spend just as much. But what does that mean? Like when we use these terms, people don't know what the largest transfer of wealth means. It means they are literally stealing money from programs that will pay doctors so that your kid who has asthma can be seen even if you are not on Medicaid. Once the accounts are we had doctors on talking about this. Once they fiddle with those accounts and there's no money at this community health center in Jackson, Mississippi or wherever, and there's no Medicaid to support that, there's nothing to close that gap. It shuts down, and we have to be honest with about that. So instead of all of your efforts being in call your member, which you still should, ask this member of Congress to change their minds, soften their arts. You still should. Maybe the most vulnerable of the GOP can find some commonality with the most vulnerable Americans. But if you can't, what is the community resource that already exists that we can tell people about.
Speaker 4: So the direct advice for the question would be litigation, litigation, litigation, because I think we're just at a place where folks are exhausting every available option to them to see the right thing happen. And the truth is is that if we had a Congress that was willing to stand up for its own power, for its own position for its own voice. On behalf of the six hundred thousand plus people each member of Congress represents across this country, we wouldn't have an issue here. Unfortunately, we have feckless members of the Republican Party who I don't care what the outlet is. I have watched the media be completely derelictive late as it has described this budget, giving people the false hopes that Senator such and such is going to come in to save the day because the president has hardliners on the right who are not going to be for adding this much debt to the to the debt limit of the country. Not true. I wish that instead of saying that there will hold out Republicans, that they would say that there are Republicans who consider themselves holdout, but in keeping with the last ten votes, they have caved every single time they have held themselves out there as being responsive to the citizens that they represent. They're fully aware that rural hospitals in the states that they represent are going to shudder, impacting all people. Right, the majority of this country does not live in highly populated, urbanized cities. They don't The majority of folks are spread out all over this vast land, many of them not with the access to the kinds of tools, resources and human resources in the form of doctors, nurses, specialists that they need access to. And if you tell them to reach those folks over the internet through telemedicine, you're gonna have to go further to inspect whether or not there is a strong enough signal of internet in the communities that they live to get them in touch with a doctor where a seamless conversation can take place. The fallout from this build is going to be tremendous, Angela, and I appreciate you putting, you know again, relight on this. I do think that pressure does burst pipes. I think we have to apply pressure, and pressure comes in many forms. But more than anything, what these members of Congress are the math that they are doing as they're calculating Donald Trump and his how do you say, get back evil spirit to the six to eight hundred thousand of you who live in their district, and they are choosing the voice of this one man over all six to eight hundred thousand of you, and he's saying that this voice is much more important to me and my future as an elected official than all of y'all combined, who send me to Washington in the first place. That's the method they're doing, and we all ought to be offended and ashamed that we have members of Congress there representing us who have no interest in taking our voices to the floor of the Congress to the will of the Congress, or by God, representing that voice to their vote.
Speaker 1: Really quick, Andrew, I want to just respond to two things. Factually, we have members of Congress who don't have the majority and have limited tools, especially on the House side, and the tools they have they are using or have used the Magic Minute with Hakim Jeffrey, Yes, unanimous consent, hold up, Yeah, yeah, very very much so in the minority, even though they might have the moral majority. But I wanted to say two things. The first was I just wanted to apologize to you. I think that I have been so much in a bubble around the State of the People and the Power tour that and it was a good, safe, feel good bubble, you know, completely dissociated with what is happening, you know, from this mad man like just like was able to just get out and see how many tools we have for our care of ourselves. When you kept bringing up the budget for weeks, that it is something that we need to talk about, that it is something we need to talk about. I just had no interest, you know, and I and I think now in the eleventh hour, in part because I'm like, he's gonna he's breaking all the rules and the laws anyway, So like what difference does it make? And still honestly feel a little of that, but I know we have a collective obligation to tell our people what is on the line, and I don't know if some of it is holdover from November, just feeling like, well, like, what what use is it to tell people what to do if they're not going to do it. If they call their member of Congress and the member of Congress has a phone on D and D they literally have their phones on do that to get to their members, they have to send a social post. It is a dere election of duty without absolute dere election of duty. And so I did want to apologize because I know the public servant in you would still have us to do the right thing, which we should do. And so I don't want to speak for Tip, but I want to say I apologize because I think that we should have given this time, probably every week, even if it's just to highlight a portion of the bill, and I'll say, like, as long as I have any say in it, I will yield from now on, even when I am in a bubble and I'm asking you to please take full permission to say, sis, I think you're in above on this, we're missing it, and to sell on the alarm. So I just want to pologize.
Speaker 4: I don't not necessary because every piece of our labor, from all of us, and the listeners who are choosing to touch and engage even to take care during this moment, are are contributing to what we have to do to sustain. And so what you were doing with the tour was incredibly important to our bigger long term structure of how do we wake up our communities to know that the power of the people is greater than the people in power. That this has to start at that basic of a level in order for us to to to to suspend with that belief that what is it all for. He's gonna do what he's gonna do anyway, because the truth is this pressure does burst pipes, and there's a there gonna be some accountability on his side, but don't let it be us checking out. That is the permission structure for him doing whatever it is that he want to do. We're always gonna check in, tap in to make sure that if you're gonna get there, brother, you're gonna burn down every bush, every tree, every limb, run over, every house, every person to get there. Do you want that record?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We have so much more to get into on the budget. But as you know, if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. We gotta pay some bills.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just want to say quickly Angelus said, do you want to speak for me? But like Angelus said lastly, Angelus speaks for me even when we disagree. So I go those thoughts. I just you know your your former boss, ANGELA. Congressman Bennie Thompson has been on rural hospitals UH legislation, supporting rural hospitals for decades, for a really long time. And we're looking at losing over three hundred and despite the media constantly saying, you know, rule the white is silent because they often you know, when they go out and talk to rule folks, they don't often look like us. But a significant portion of Black people live in rural areas. Absolutely, so I think this idea that people are a bit disengaged and they don't know this is happening.
Speaker 7: This will literally cost lives.
Speaker 6: Rural hospitals have I think twenty five acute care beds, so this means when there's no bed for someone, they don't have space to be there. If they have to get airlifted, they may not have the resources to be there. In terms of reimbursement, they're going to have limited reimbursement for the hospitals that do remain open. And just with respect to the budget, you know, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here because even this conversation now it's meaty, it's information. I hope that people got information from what Angela and Andrew shared. I don't know that people tune into things like this. You know, if we're going through the budget and talking about it, for me, that's something I want to listen to. I think you do have to dangle sometimes the salacious in front of people. You have to make it so simple. And in all of our bubbles, I think there is.
Speaker 7: A disconnect.
Speaker 6: Sometimes we all are in different bubbles, but there is a disconnect, and I don't want to like shit on people who are like I didn't even know the big bill was happening, But sometimes I do have a frustration. I would argue most of the country has no idea that this.
Speaker 7: Bill that's what.
Speaker 6: Yes, they have no idea and they're not tuning in, and so it's like, how do you find that balance of giving you know, I mean, news by definition is informing people of what they need to know and talking about what they want to know. So striking that balance, I think the journalism industry and large, as y'all hear me talk about, has failed because even when I heard on all the networks this week talking about it, they're playing this these political games. So you get a Republican on and you or you get a Democrat on and you're like, you know, what impact do you think this will have? Are you trying to play this up to win mid terms? Are you guys talking attacking Vice President j d Vance because you think he's gonna run and you're trying to And it's like, who gives a shit? This is why people don't know what's going on, because we're trafficking in this kind of BS. I wanted to say that about the disconnect because if you guys don't mind, I want to get to this viewer question, who is kind of I'm going to relate it back to the bill and Antel I'm sure you can find a way to relate it back to the bill because people have some smoke for me and Angela and I.
Speaker 1: Before we get to the viewer question, I just I want to say, Tiff, I agree with you. This Republican versus Democrat thing on air is irresponsible, but they are modeling what they're seeing in Congress. Literally, Lindsey Graham, who's the chair of the Budget Committee, put out a statement lying to people about the fact that this would expand access to Medicaid and medicare that it, you know, hyping up these these budget cuts and how it's going to help America's economy and working families. Just blatant lies, to the point where Susan Collins put out her own statement seeing what it actually did. They're indirect conflict, so you don't even have to leave their party to get an alternative story. The other thing I was going to say is you said that we need to make it more salacious, and I.
Speaker 6: Was to say maybe, but that's what worked.
Speaker 1: Ye what gets people? That's true? Okay, I got you Star didn't mean to misquote. So the salations is what gets people to pay attention. My highest hope is and it's one of the things we things we've been doing throughout the marathon, which is still going by the time we record this podcast. We have asked people to lead with their who why are you doing this, Who are you doing it for? Where do they live? What is their story? Mine was my mom. We were sitting at my mom just went back to chemo. We went and I said, Mommy, would you mind being on camera? I want people to see when Medicare is even just your supplemental insurance, who this impacts, you know, it impacts a widespread diverse, you know, economically read from a region. We are in Seattle at the best cancer hospital and one of the best cancer hospitals in the country. My mom's Medicare is going to be impacted. So I think that it may not be this relations but it is certainly the story, and I think that it's something that is needed. But to move the needle to the point that Andrew raised about pressure bursting pipes to ensure that people know who they're accountable for. Don't let them forget the face. Don't let them forget the face of who this will hit, whether it's that child on CHIP, or it is that elder on Medicare, or it is a person that may not even poor, don't even know they're on medicaid because medicaid is called something else in your state. Do not let them forget. And so again, well Andrew can jump let me.
Speaker 6: Jump there really quickly and say, you talked about the child on ship to s O. A few result ship is the Children's Health Insurance program. A lot of children will be impacted by that. And Angela, I hear you saying that they're playing off what's happening in Congress, But to me, that is the failure. Like you are letting members of Congress drive the narrative, and members of Congress should be who you're holding responsible. It doesn't matter what statement Lindsey Graham put out, like you're you're the reporter, like you hold him. And I just want to say something else. We talked about Senator Lisa Murkowski, who is a Republican representative from Alaska, and I just want to say she is a feckless, horrid human being. And the reason I say that is because if maybe you guys saw this, maybe you did. In a few months ago she talks about and the media celebrated her for this. She talked about, well, we're scared, you know, Donald Trump is in office, and we're scared to do the right thing. But I Lisa Murkowski will do the right thing. So this is why what does it say? Don't really matter to me? And I'm using my language very intentional when I'm talking about her. One she's taller, and she tends to be a really disrespectful woman when confronted by the media, like she CNN's Manu Raju had a confrontation with her where she was like towering over him. I forget the reporter's name, but this week a CNN reporter confronted her saying, you're selling out you know. Senator rand Paul said you're selling out the American people, or some maybe misquoting that, and she tried to have a staring contest with him. And I'm like, you picked the right one, lady, because I wish I had that microphone. Don't speak first. Let her stand there and look dumb. So every time you will hear Lisa mckowski as being like middle of the road and she can work with Democrats. We heard the same thing about Susan Collins. They are your typical fifty three fifty two maga Republicans. Who was I don't like what Donald Trump does, but I'm gonna vote with his ass eight ninety nine percent of the time.
Speaker 7: We're never gonna this.
Speaker 1: Was Susan Collins one percent because she finally did the right thing here, but it took a lot of pressure to the point of what Andrews. She's blooded down so many times before, so she may have voted for this fifty fifty fifty. No, I was gonna say fifty percent percent. Fifty other people, though, voted with Lisa Murkis. This is my point, including JD band So no matter what, justff you miss me with the like white woman Bollsted, she's a hero and she said she's scared and she's doing the right thing.
Speaker 6: I'm so tired of that narrative. Our our black members of Congress are pretty much dismissed in all their efforts. But this random ass I wanted, this random ass see you next Tuesday, is out here talking out the side of her neck and gets excuse for it, and it drives me crazy. Anyway, Andrew, and you lied about a production timeout, and I.
Speaker 4: Just want to camp that you requested now I absolutely will. This is simply to say, if you think you are getting away with not feeling the consequences of what is happening here in the next couple of months or maybe even the next year, I want you to know that these savvy ass Republicans decided that they were going to delay the impacts of cuts. All of the negative impacts they have backloaded in the bill, which means they have set for them to take effect immediately following the next general election in twenty twenty six. So don't think we've gotten away with anything. They're conniving their willingness to lie sheet steel. They have only saved themselves, but because they think we stupid enough not to understand that this thing is going to have detri mental impacts on all of us. But they don't want you showing up in November of twenty two six mad, so they push the effects of all the tens of thousands, hundreds of you know, tens of thousands of people that they're going to push off of health care and the millions billions you would say that are going to be added to the cost of those of us who do right now afford our own insurance and pay for it. All that they plan to have kick us in the ass right after they compete to hold the house hold, the Senate, and of course the presidency isn't up in twenty twenty six. But all of that they plan to save by kicking the impacts that are going to hurt all of us the most to right after the next election.
Speaker 7: All right with that?
Speaker 6: In the er questions with that, let's hear from the viewer who has some smoke for Angelo and me tas.
Speaker 3: Leaving from San Diego?
Speaker 2: Money is DJ Johnson?
Speaker 3: And that a question for Angela and from his cross. Do you guys believe that it could be a fair critique from some of us that sometimes you talk to us as if we are stupid or political mild patents. And I'll use the example of the political the migrant protests reservations that our guys expressed. But I believe it was Angela that calls some of us selfish because we're not super willing to jump into a front line the protests on the alp of our neighbors. But I remember both of you doing November after Vice President Harris lost the election, basically saying that held with the idea of a rainbow coalition. So do you believe that the echo chamber that your guys are living in, you believe that that echo chamber is starting to position you to be the same people that Malcolm X warned.
Speaker 4: Us against in the ballot of the bullet.
Speaker 3: I disagree with the show sometime, but I do enjoy it, and I'll see you nothing but love, thank you.
Speaker 7: I love.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: We'll get to that, but I just want to say, first, thank you so much, so much for us admitting that video question. I just truly we really appreciate when you take the time to sit down and record a video and ask us a question. And the reason I wanted to make sure that we got to it is because it's a conversation with you guys. We don't mean to talk at you, and we want to highlight when you disagree with us and drop us a note and we'll talk about it. So first and foremost, nothing but gratitude to you, brother. But to your question, I let Angel respond because I know he talked about you know your your rest is selfish. But I just wanted to say, because Lolo sent us this question earlier, Andrew, can you please put your computer down?
Speaker 7: Lolo sent us this question.
Speaker 6: Earlier and what I have, but I like he's trying to I don't get it being distracted anyway, because the bullets about the ship when Lolo sent us this question, I did go back and watch, and I don't believe that I said the Rainbow Coalition is dead. But I will say, you know, a lot of outlets will ask me to come on. This thing happened today, you know, can you Angelie remember how it is in that cable news rush, you know, like you going about today and they're like, come on right now and talk about this thing, or come on tonight, and there is some benefit. I rarely say yes, because there's some benefit to like sitting down thinking about it and not jumping out there so quickly every time something happens. After the election, I was surprised by the numbers and we're still getting updated data. Exit poser, notoriously unreliable Pugh just came out with new voting numbers last week. That Pew Research is an institution that I trust emphatically, So I don't believe I ever said to hell with the Rainbow Coalition. My only point about and I'm not arrogant enough to tell people what they should or should not be doing. So if I if I come across that way, it's not my intention. I am arrogant enough to say what people should care. And when I see comments from people who are looking at the government, disappearing people saying we don't care, reminding our business, my point to you is we do care, because that will eventually be us. And we've already seen black people being detained, deported and just trying to give information. And I respectfully say, I don't know what echo chamber you're referencing. The only quote from Malcolm X that I know where he talks about like people in the media making you like hate heroes, and that's not at all. I reject the notion that I'm in that kind of echo chamber. I think all of us, you know, talk to different people and do different things. If I'm coming across like I'm talking to me like you're stupid, which I can do sometimes, I'm sure I don't want to gaslight you and say I don't do that sometimes quite honestly, I do think people are dumb. You know, we had a conversation like that on this. When I see some of the comments from people, I do think, wow, this is we are eroding our intellect when I see people, you know, and it's not that, you know, I don't criticize people for not caring or I do purtends people not caring. I don't criticize people for not being engaged one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: But I do. It is some level of frustration.
Speaker 6: It is looking at society at large that seems to be giving a shoulder shrug and taking selfies and you know, just not really engage the way that we once were. So yeah, I hear you. I take all your point. And I was never trying to say go out there and protest, go out there and be on the front lines.
Speaker 7: My only notion was.
Speaker 6: We have to give a fuck like we just do. It's our humanity, it's our fellow human beings, and whatever acts is swinging is going to eventually hit us. So that's all, brother. But I appreciate you say, and you know your disagreement. I really do, Andrew laughing, But I want to hear from Angela first, and then let Andrew try to shake I already feel anyway, Anzela.
Speaker 1: Well he started off on the wrong foot with me because he said Angela and miss Frost what first of all, yeah.
Speaker 7: Right, homing with you?
Speaker 1: Now, well, he's gonna welcome not home, because I'm trying we either everybody welcome home or nobody is dan. But you know, I gotta say, I'm irritated by this question because I don't I don't ever mind a disagreement, but let it just be rooted in fact, right, Like you are entitled to your feelings, You're entitled to your perspective, You're entitled to your human story. What you're not about to do is put no words in my mouth, friend, Like, we're just not gonna do that. So I never called you to the front line of a protest. Why, brother, I ain't there neither. I'm not on the front lines of a protest right now. I don't know what's gonna happen to us on the front lines of a protest. I am engaging in community work, and you're invited there. You've been invited there every single week at State of the People. If you came to one of the places where we've toured if you if you tuned in online to a live stream of one of the events we've done, if you tuned into the National Assembly, you would know that Malcolm X's daughter was at the event speaking and endorsing what we're representing. So clearly we're not that far off of what our daddy represents. Friend, So I just I'm not really sure mister dj' what you're talking about. You're certainly welcome to always submit your commentary. You don't need an Apple laptop shield as Andrew is putting up. You kild no walls for you, or are LATINX brothers and sisters. And here's what I'm also going to tell you. It's already coming to your front door. And this is why we told you we thought you should care. This is why we wanted you to pay attention. This is why we wanted you to not turn a blind eye to the suffering of our neighbors. Because of this right here, let's roll the clip.
Speaker 9: We also have a lot of bad people that have been here for a long time. People that whack people over the head with a baseball, bad from behind when they're not looking and kill them. People that knife you when you're walking down the street. They're not new to our country. They're all to our country. Many of them were born in our country. I think we already get them the hell out of here too. We had some bad accidents in New York and they're not accidents. They were done very much in purpose. People being pushed into a subway just before it arrives going forty miles an hour, and they're ten feet away from where the thing is to get pushed right into the face of the subway train, get whacked and killed. And these are sick people. I'd like to get them out of here too.
Speaker 1: So I'm running that clip, and I want y'all to weigh in here, because this is the very thing we're talking about. In one of our black papers. We got a black Papers policy initiative. It's called from dread Scott to Deportations. And for those of you who are listening at home and don't know, dread Scott challenged his right to be a citizen in this country. I believe the case was in maybe he was born in seventeen fifteen, I don't know, before slavery was over and he had been free, was moved to another state where he would not be free anymore. Dred Scott was told in the Supreme Court decision that he was not a citizen because he was enslaved, and therefore he could not be a citizen. And so birthright citizenship, which we all have because of the Fourteenth Amendment, is now being challenged on every side by this administration. The fact that this man is talking about deporting people who are criminals, and let's be super super clear about the fact, because some of y'all might be silly enough. TIP might think you you're dumb. I might think you're silly. Some of y'all might be silly enough to think, well, if they're a criminal, that can go. Well, how many of y'all if you're honest and you throw your bias out the window, know you have someone who's incarcerating your family, one of your friends. We all know someone who's been wrongfully accused. So Donald Trump saying that someone committed this crime does not make it so.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: This country has a pattern in practice and deep treacherous history of saying that black people committed crimes they did not. In fact, the National Registry of Exonerations and Your report says nearly sixty one percent of exonaies are black, they're exonerated because they did not commit the damn crime. So I want to be clear when I say, we know that deportations could also apply to citizens, and those citizens would look like us. Why, because we're just as other as the Asian. We're just as other as the indigenous person. We're just as other as our Latino brothers and sisters. So maybe I was mad at the Rainbow Coalition, but goddamn it, we need each other now because the math on math. So get on board. Now.
Speaker 6: Let me just say back to the viewer again, we just want to thank you for submitting your question. Even when we disagree, we definitely respect Miss Cross. Thanks you well. Yes, I thank you for taking the time to listen to our show and to submit a question, because if you didn't tune in and care enough to submit that, we wouldn't be here.
Speaker 1: Listen away.
Speaker 6: He said specifically about your quote, saying that your rest is selfish, and he said that we were suggesting that people should be on the front lines of protests, which perhaps I did not know, but he wasn't saying like he said, we suggested it. And so I think to be fair and respectful to him, perhaps it did come across like that's what I was saying, and I just wanted to clarify it to him. Yeah, but he didn't name you. He named you, but yeah, but she's Misscross. I'm Angela you but even even so, I just want to you behind that wall. I just want to well, I think I remember that episode. So many people were a lot of people were agreeing with you Andrew and disagreeing with Angela and me. So I honored that, I do you know, I maintained my position and that we have to care. But I honored the disagreement and not don't want the viewer to think that we're just you know, like f you you ain't agree, Like no, we we hear you, and thank you for articulating your disagreement. And just to clarify because if you I think a lot of people probably felt that we were suggesting that because people even the comments, they were like, I'm not going out to protest, and that's not what we were suggesting. And just for the record, Angela and I were having a conversation.
Speaker 7: To uh.
Speaker 6: I think we were in Miami, and I was talking about if people come up to us to say things and about the other and Angela made a point like they better not they better not say nothing about the co host, blah blah, and the comment. There were many comments that were saying, honestly, guys, it would be disrespectful to Angela to go go up to her to say something bad about Tiffany.
Speaker 7: And I was like, but it's not dispicable to meet.
Speaker 1: Up all they made you too. They know that's a given to you. That's the same way where he was.
Speaker 6: Like, and I think he was saying that, like you my girl, like I feel you and let me take you.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 1: I think he puts some respect on your name. And I'm still mad at him because I don't know what a malcau sent means.
Speaker 4: Content?
Speaker 1: Is that what he said? Okay? But I thought I thought.
Speaker 7: He said arguing with me for the video?
Speaker 1: What do he thanks? You know, miss Cross? Thanks you for your video. I'll thank you when you come back with and do come back, but do come back, welcome home.
Speaker 4: I don't know all these hating comments that y'all get, but I know what. I'm in the grocery store. These folks woke me and say, do you think I could get an autograph of of Tiffany and Angela. It's a good thing. I love these women like you should, and that's for mine. Ain't knowing you great, know that what's great is honestly y'all get a lot of love around here like I love. But Tiffany and angel those my girls. That my girls.
Speaker 1: So Tiffany, what he's not telling you is in Jackson, I almost got ran out of Toogaloo because Andrew left without telling me her didn't somebody want somebody follow you.
Speaker 4: We had to revisit that. She put me in a situation and then I got the blind But listen, one more topic.
Speaker 5: Do we have time.
Speaker 7: We're going to talk briefly about the Diddy trial.
Speaker 6: And I think we're talking about this because this is such a monumental decision that was not I think as a community, we didn't look at it just about Diddy, but collectively how we navigate the Me Too movement, the criminal justice system, our community, just just everything. I think Angela made a good point earlier that is this a distraction?
Speaker 7: We have this huge bill half and it's breaking news.
Speaker 6: You know that the verdict came down in the Ditty case, and I respect your opinion. Angel You know like, I don't want to talk about that, because that's you know what is the real impact of this bill has a more devastating impact on all of us than this Didty trial.
Speaker 7: But we're going to talk about it a little just because.
Speaker 6: You know, Andrew, you I'm curious your thoughts as a man, but I will say as a woman, I did not listen to every detail of this trial. I didn't read every detail. I couldn't stomach the details. But I will just say, and I hope that our viewers can honor me and give me a little bit of grace in this because I have not had a lot of time to process and really think about this. But it's really challenging for me to wish for a black man to spend the rest of his life in prison. It just is like it feels uncomfortable to celebrate sending a black man to the white man's prison. I also balanced that with the incredibly monstrous, heinous, disgusting behavior that we saw that was detailed before us, and from a legal perspective, which I don't understand at all. I was telling these guys earlier, I was asking, like all the lawyers, like how do you feel on people are like, I know, trial lawyer, like you should ask the trial lawyer because I was like, what about this and did they make the reco case? And they're like, yeah, I don't really do that. So I didn't have a chance to get a lot of response from trial lawyers about this. But I just I'm just trying to balance like, yes, I feel so like, yes, this man, they made the case that, yes, this man was a monster to these women. I don't know if we start locking up monsters for lifetime sentences.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just I don't know how I feel about it. It looks like did he will serve some jail time. I think the most important thing to keep in mind are the victims, the people who were victimized by him. A lot of people you know, who were sexual assault victims themselves have come out, written up eds shared their thoughts on the way they felt he was grooming Cassie. A lot of people on the other side felt like, well, they were complicit because they were setting it up, which I think is such a shitty thought to have, to be honest with you. People are so quick to attack women and you know, or attack Cassie for not leaving, but not attack Diddy for being a monster in these cases. So I'm just I guess I'm okay. It doesn't really matter if I'm okay because I'm not the victim here. I think, you know, again, the victims are who matters. But I wasn't one of those people that's like, send him to jail forever. I just I don't know how.
Speaker 7: To deal with that.
Speaker 6: He will get out of prison. We never make another dime. He you know, he's on some level, I'm going to have a punishment, and I just I just hope y'all give me a little bit of grace because obviously I support women, and you know, there were black women who he harmed as well, So I stand with allegedly, thank you allegedly.
Speaker 4: Well, there is what we have and by the way, also admitted to you by his attorneys, and if that were around domestic abuse, that may have been a different story.
Speaker 6: And I'm in no way defending any of that behavior. I would never as a woman, as a black woman, I'm not defending that at all. All I'm saying is I'm never going to be a person that celebrates sending our folks to prison. That's not to say what he deserves. I just don't feel like I'm the arbiter of who deserves what you.
Speaker 1: Know, and I can't.
Speaker 4: We are, though, I mean our justice system, which we are not right very well represented in. We are not what you were expressing, Tiffany around just sort of the nuance and the conflict that exists within your being is I think you're calling out something that all of us, and I would just say, very specifically, I think black folks experience in these kinds of high profile cases that center black men, and even if it were a black women, but largely what we've seen, you know, you know, let's go back to Bill Cosby. A lot of us were like, Okay, maybe I don't know what happened, but if some wrong happened, I can't understand why I can't watch the Cosby Show anymore. I can't understand why I can't say no, right. But but you remember networks took it off. I remember there were all these apps you could no longer access it. I remember telling my own personal story of being motivated when to go to college because of what was exampled and what was modeled there and to be able to separate the the the personality of character on television from the man or the woman in real life. I mean, there are black actors and actresses that I've been around, and I have referred to them by the most popular role that I remember they played.
Speaker 6: Right, Comfortable, has nothing to do with Bill Cosby.
Speaker 10: Correct, Right, and then and then blame us for wanting to still watch television from it.
Speaker 4: Right. We know that in certain instances where we may have felt intuitively that a person may have been guilty, but we're also pleased that we didn't turn them over into a lifetime of the heinous system created quite frankly just for us.
Speaker 6: Because you brought it up be injury even in the Bill Cosby case, like, yes, this man likely harmed women. You know the evidence support did it fine. However, legally he did he they lied to him. If you tell me, you testify and I'm gonna give you immunity, you won't be charged with this. And then you turn around and charge like then, yes, you do have to let him out of jail. That is the way the legal corrupt system, right it.
Speaker 4: Is, And I think at the bottom, at the soul of this is a lot of suspicion around corruption. I will tell you when I saw the charges, and I didn't pay any attention. I have to tell you to the trial. I didn't read the news on it. It just wasn't. Unfortunately, it wasn't at the medium level or any level for that matter of of of of what I was putting attention on. That's not to say that it wasn't larger in our culture, very important for for what was exposed. But I do remember when the charging document came down, the indictment came down, and I kept thinking, one, let me just say out loud, I am highly suspicious, suspicious of the federal all systems of justice, but the federal system of justice very particularly. Okay, I've been on the other side of that. I've read indictments that included wholesale lies, the whole goddamn thing, all twenty however pages of it. But folks who were in the streets were reading it like it was a you know, a production of the local newspaper fact check and you know, wholly accountful, accounted for. And then the judge says, you realize that that is their opinion of what they believe occurred. And then there is what the defendant says, what is and has occurred, and in this court room, I'm going to tell you what you can and cannot listen to and what you can and cannot consider when you go back to deliberate this decision. When I saw racketeering, I my understanding of it. I didn't. I was like, oh, well, hey, good luck and proving this big, grand scheme enterprise. And then I thought back to my charge. Which shit, I they excuse me of having a grand scheme of an enterprise and with so much time to orchestrate in mummy people all over the place to ward my benefit of thirty thousand dollars. I guess that's what they thought, you know, And I don't want to compare the two from a fact pattern. I'm simply saying where my suspicion of the judicial system begins is it began long before my own experience. With my own experience was a true testament to the fact that these folks know how to tell a story. That's what I knew. And then there are no no no. I mean then the things that we know and we see with our own eyes that we can make judgment about. So when we think about the Cassie video, for instance, and how we felt inside, and how we deplored that, and how we believe that there are to be a consequence. Well, guess what, prosecutors, maybe in a state where you can prosecute domestic violence and the statue of limitations doesn't exist, which in many states, those statues of limitations on such crimes were lifted during the height of the me too era. And that's one thing, But you you got you wanted this jury to believe that this whole enterprise was set up to achieve a thing. The other thing that really bothered me about what I have assessed from the very peripheral look that that that that I've taken out this least, which is all of the loading up. If I read one more thing about baby oil, I wanted to puke. Because what it does is it takes individuals lifestyles and then conflates it with other what what what is truly justifiable legal wrongdoing? And then the idea is to then, because it is not like what we do, It is not very familiar to what you and your house and your household and and what your experiences have been. It is wrong, it is deplorable, it is illegal, it is a moral, it is all these things and I'm thinking, this ain't gosh to do with the thing that is being accused, And so you've now bought in all of this stuff to make me muddy and dirty and not like you and not publicly acceptable, so that people distance themselves in such a way that they're never going to see my humanity when they go back into a jury box, into a jury room for deliberations. Again, this is yes about the puppy case. This is also mostly about the greater criminal justice system, and largely a system that happened that cooperates to make something look a certain way, to introduce certain evidence, to introduce certain voices and perspectives, so that in a jury room those things get taken in And because I don't understand it, it must be wrong, because it's out of the society's mores mores, it must be wrong. And so that stuff, I just think, if you got a case.
Speaker 5: Bring it clean.
Speaker 4: If you've got a case you're accusing me of a set of things, bring your evidence. You bring it clean through the door. And when they try to get to fancy, when they try to do too much, they underestimate the value of I think considerate people sitting in a room looking at the instructions that they have to follow and arriving at a decision, and in our system of justice, that decision is a binding one.
Speaker 6: I just think it's a different though. Like I hear you, and I think if we suspend, if we're not talking about city, then you know.
Speaker 5: We can close too.
Speaker 7: But yes, but I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think what went into this case was a lot of his own displayed behavior. I think legally, yes, you're making a point about the justice system, but also I don't know that I can say that he's the victim in this.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not.
Speaker 6: I know, I know you are not calling him a victim. But the way you're speaking about the justice system, I'm making a clear distinction that you're talking about the justice system. And then there is the ditty case where there were some flaws and the charges that they brought. I just think this gets kind of to our conversation we had last week or the week before about protecting black men or protecting us really, but you know, the conversations about protecting black men. When we start to protect black men to the harm of women, that's when it's a challenge. And I do see so many comments, particularly when the Cassie video first came out, all these women just shit on her and it was like, oh, she lying, and she waited to now bring it up, and I don't believe her. And then the video came out in the New York Times article read like a time stamp of that video. And then most people's opinions change. But there were still people, and I would say it's probably less than one percent of women. Maybe their comments just the toxicity of it all right to the top. But still the people who are saying, well, they were into it, and well they were setting it up and they did this. Who gives the shit, you know, Like that doesn't make him the victim in a situation where he was being a monster to these women. Like I just I get a little frustrated with that or even the idea. I had a friend who I won't name out of respect for his privacy, but a friend who had similar accusations, and he was my friend, and I could honestly say to him privately, like, yeah, I think you made some fucked up decisions here, and I think you did cause these women some harm. But I could also say yeah, and I also think it's an attack on them like trying to get you. That doesn't excuse you or the harm that you cause these women, And I don't know. I think that's where I am. You know, the verdict came out this week, and like I said, I would just ask the audience for some grace as we're working through this. I don't want anybody to misunderstand and think that I'm sitting here trying to defend Diddy.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 6: I don't believe Andrew's trying to do that. I think You're simply pointing out flaws in the justice system and the complicated perceptions we can have when it comes to these types of charges being brought, for one to anybody, and to the women who are harmed. I mean, you know, there were black women, like I said, who he harmed, and other people anecdotally who I know who have had incidents that I won't share because you know, I'm not a reporter. I wasn't reporting on this and it would be a responsible for me to say so. But enough people anecdotally who have had really negative experiences with him, and so if there's a message, I would just say, I hope that a lot of these men with money and power change their behavior and know like these incidents it's you know, from freak offs to like all these things just change your behavior.
Speaker 4: What a conversation is just hating up, but we gotta pay some bills.
Speaker 5: Sketch on the other side.
Speaker 4: Right now, we are wrestling out loud with our thoughts, feelings and emotions that don't always fit congruent with each other. I mean, I'm sensing conflict all over my own thoughts about some of this right, And I don't have to have proximity to a woman to know what is right and wrong and how you treat a person period. I don't that that doesn't have to be my context achieving a black woman or somebody else that it No how do you treat If you hit my son across the face right unprovoked, you gonna have some issues with me. So I'm again, I'm talking about my situation unprovoked.
Speaker 5: This is that and the third.
Speaker 4: But there are also people who conclude, you know what, adults make adult decisions. I believe and I trust adults, consenting adults to be able to sit together and to arrive at a thing that they want to do, and to do it willingly betwixt each other and I don't have room to make excuses for the various motivations of why right, there are folks who would, you know, barrel this whole decision down on one person's actions and completely excuse the actions of another. There are some of us who you know, do the reverse for a different party. And likely the scenario is is that, you know what, a bunch of bad decisions got made by a bunch of people. And now what we are considering, however, is not a bunch of bad decisions, but when those decisions crossed a legal line that is provable, that should then result in the legal consequences and penalties. So say a jury of your peers, and a jury of peers went to the courthouse and they reckoned with these questions. They gave weeks time away from their family and their jobs, and they listened. They took it in, unlike me who had to operate on this from whatever left off the pages of the Internet, which is certainly not the reflection of all the things that go down in that room. So I have to trust and believe that those folks did what was merited of them. That can still result in us having a very wide different set of opinions about how this thing to have come down. In all truth, I really have issues with a lot of this whole thing, and I'm trying to be able to sense this through a lens that is outside of just my own, but my own experience weighs heavily on how I see the system and all parts of it and all of us who have to cooperate in it. If there was wrongdoing done on behalf off, did it? You heard the attorneys for him say, my client did wrong and if you were probably on this we give way to that issue. And you have folks on the other side who made accusations and claims that suggested otherwise, and that all had to be ferreted through. What I hope the takeaway is from us for many, You know, for folks, one is have the conversation and a safe enough environment where you feel like you can be completely honest with where you are, how you got there, and you don't make silly excuses about why it is a thing went away. A thing went without having scrutinized it, without having interrogated it enough for yourself, because that just leads to a perpetuation of a bunch of behaviors that we all as a society need to suspend with. I also hope that people will lower their judgment radar a little bit, meaning your judgment on other people, and determine that just because a thing isn't my thing doesn't make it an illegal thing or a bad thing for that matter. So I am going to withhold judgment on whether group sex is a bad thing or a good thing, and just state that group sex took place. And if in law and your state they prosecute you for group sex, then write the damn crime, bring me the evidence, put that before a jury and its admissible form, and let them decide. But if you're going to swing from the rafters on your charging document and you're going to bring things toward me that I know and most reasonable people could conclude did not occur, you have to deal with that as well. And I blame in some ways on this on the prosecution, the fact that there are going to be parts of this narrative that are going to be understood by whole groups of people and draw them to the conclusion that my life is not as important that my gender renders me subjugate to a man, or from a man's perspective, that you know what, it doesn't matter what you really did, because you're forever going to be burdened by what they said you did and you'll always be judged through that lens. So there are a lot of offenses that can be taking place here, a lot. I just think we ought to be able to have a reasonable conversation, admit that we don't know what the complete and the right answers are, and to also say that we can have contradictions in our thoughts and our feelings based off of how we approach a thing through what lens by which we see it. But I'll tell you this, I don't see any winners. There are no winners here. I think there's a lot of hurt and pain that folks are going to have to process. And that's what makes this conversation one that is conversation worthy because it's implications reached beyond just the parties involved. They send me a message to a whole group of people that the people were involved in implicated here will never know the names of where they live, where they come from, or their stories.
Speaker 6: Well, I hear all that, Andrew. I just wanted to say he was not just charged with having group sex but I.
Speaker 7: Know, I know, I know what you're saying.
Speaker 6: I just I'm I completely one hundred percent understand you. I'm making this point for the audience because I don't want the audience to misunderstand what you're saying. And sometimes in our nuance, I think people aren't necessarily capable of wrapping.
Speaker 4: Their arms around nuance.
Speaker 6: My thoughts are with the victims, the survivors of some of this terrible behavior, and not just the people that did he victimize, but all survivors of people who were victimized in this way. Again, I have you know, we love our black men, but not to the extent where I'm willing to let black women get harmed and say nothing or defend the abuser in favor of him and not my sisters who have been abused.
Speaker 4: So I'm to evaluate this case based off of the individuals involved in the individual's actions, rather than them be a representative of all black men or of black women.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and again, this is not this is not about all black men. You know, this is you know, No, no, I know.
Speaker 4: And this is why I wanted to say that, Tiff, because I think this is how folks, this is how we all end up squaring off. Yeah, and going to the corners is when it is excusing bad behavior black man at the risk of the lives, livelihoods, well being a black woman. It is somebody or somebody's made bad decisions that have hurt you know this or that, right you name it. I'm leaving it blank because we all got listeners who feel a different way. Name where you feel that offense took place, but that's the perpetrator by name, that's the victim by name, vice versa, and let that be that. I don't want us to What I know often happens is the projection of the actions and because a person fits that profile, that the action is taken by the person of that profile reflect on everybody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Matt, I think that's a fair fair point to make.
Speaker 6: And I again, it's so hard trying to have these conversations and you know, in a very careful way. But I also don't want black men to feel admonished. Here we're talking about Diddy and other people like how you who engage in shitty behavior and the women who they harm. This is not casting a dark shadow over all black men. Obviously, you know, we have an amazing black man on the show with us, and you know.
Speaker 7: Most black men do not behave in this.
Speaker 6: Manner, but we thought it important to at least talk about this and have some sort of guided discussion around what's happening. Is you guys are trying to navigate your space, so Nick has been telling us the rap.
Speaker 7: So we do need to.
Speaker 6: Talk about what we want to talk about on the minibod and give people calls to action. But thank you Andrew for your perspective on that, because I thought I just appreciated your nuanced perspective on the criminal justice system and what's happening.
Speaker 4: We are noting that some of the accusations made against Sean Combs are yet to be proven in the court of law.
Speaker 6: I guess my call to action, know is, you know, I feel a little bit. I guess I'm growing exhausted with the attacks on black women and this, you know, the d D case services a lot of that. Most black men in my life are amazing, wonderful human beings. They look at these, you know, people in the among the podcast bros, and you know, the mana sphere with great condocents that they don't you know, have a healthy relationship with black women from their moms, to sisters, to partners, et cetera. So I think I would ask that we just laid off black women, you know, like and that goes to our brethren. I'm not appealing to white folks, so because I just don't know if that even matters. You know, we've been made the enemy of the country, but it also goes to other black women, you know. I think these comments about you know, what women should have done and how women are, I think it's so self hating and fucked up. So yeah, my request would be to offer grace. That's my CTA. Be careful with that digital anonymity. When you're shitting on someone else's experience or just saying something ugly, if you wouldn't say it to that person's face, then don't type in a comment because other survivors see you uh and they hear that, and it discourages people from coming forward to give their testimony about it. So that's my CTA. I kick it, see you brother h If you don't, I.
Speaker 5: Don't have one other than to say happy fourth.
Speaker 4: And if you're spending it out, be safe. I do mean that I sound dredged like. I like that it took a hard time. I do mean I wish people to be safe, good, good, any time and be safe.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: For those of you who will be in New Orleans, we will be live on stage at Essence for our live show. We started doing this with the Essence Fest last year. We will be there on Sunday this coming weekend at three pm Central time, so we hope to see you. For those of you who we miss, we will make sure that you see that show and can hear that show. As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native lampod. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. And did you know that Native lampod is part of a podcast podcast. It's part of a podcast network called Reason Choice Media. Jamel Hill is on the RCM network with her show Politics, an Se Cup on her show Off the Cup. Be sure to check those out and don't forget to follow us on social media and subscribe to our text or email lists. On Native lampod dot com. We are Angela Rie, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all. There are sadly four hundred and eighty eight days until midterm elections and God, we hope we still have.
Speaker 4: This last morning.
Speaker 2: Please, thank you for joining the Natives attention to what the info and all of the latest Rock gillim and cross connected to the statements that.
Speaker 4: You leave on our socials.
Speaker 2: Thank you sincerely for the patients, reason for your choices clear, so grateful it took to execute World Preserve Defendant Protect the troom keeping the case they were Welcome home to all of the Natives.
Speaker 4: We thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reison Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.