Speaker 1: But like, what did you know?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm gonna be an in foototball player.
Speaker 3: Second my second game in college. Literally, I end up playing the rest of the second quarter, the third quarter, and half of the fourth. In that time, I'd rushed for three hundred and eighty nine yards and seven touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Stupid Goden games language movie, No simple.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host. We'll come to my co host, Tyl Lwan. The boy is down somewhere in the jungle in Mexico. We got the fellas in the back showed up today JP, Mitch Carsley and his boy Dave David buster awesome, jam packed episode.
Speaker 5: Today we have Marshall fall on for an interview.
Speaker 1: So if you're watching right now, Number one, thank you guys for your support, always watching, always listening. If you're watching on YouTube or Rumble, please make sure you are subscribed leave comments throughout the episode, and if you're listening on audio, make sure you're following and subscribe to those channels as well. And if you're subscribed to all of them, congratulations you are a Tier one and officially one of the boys. In this episode, again, Mitchie does a phenomenal job of putting the chapters. By the way, people in the comments section are like, hey, the chapters aren't showing up.
Speaker 5: Thank you for that accountability. For Mitch Carsley, I had to hit him up.
Speaker 1: He had to reach out to somebody barstool it because he's like, I filled them out, I wonder why they're not happening, and then all of a sudden they come out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: But that is thanks to you, guys. But he does a great job with the chapters.
Speaker 1: So if you're here for the martiall Fuck interview, we talk about the greatest show on turf. His time at San Diego State hold Nebraska fumbled the bag and didn't offer them and they wanted him as a cornerback and not a running back. His time in Indianapolis playing with Peyton Manning, getting traded to the Rams, the business stuff in between the kind of pissed them off and rubbed them the wrong way, the climb with the Saint Louis Rams, and getting inducted into the Hall of Fame. Also in the episode, in this intro, we're gonna be talking updating you guys with the Spring tour stuff. We're gonna be talking about April Fools jokes. The best April Fools jokes are tear talk for April Fools jokes and also the little girl Cerulean bell she turns to this week. So your boy's got a little list of dad tips that I've journaled the last couple of years on to help any new dads coming or the dads that have been in the trenches thus far.
Speaker 5: We'll have those dad tips for you.
Speaker 1: Before we get into the intro, we bring you our presenting sponsor, the one, the only, the Chevy Silverado. Busting with the Boys is presented by Chevy and this is a Chevy Truck podcast. Chevy trucks are the greatest trucks ever built, and our good friends at Chevrolet have been a big part of the bust and family and even in.
Speaker 5: Our personal lives.
Speaker 1: Your boy he rocks the ZR two and the thing is a monster Chevy Silverado, longtime awesome partner of the show, a truck with commanding and unstoppable grit, legendary capability and dependability to so find out for yourself. Like so many of the boys out there, head to Chevy check out the Chevy Truck Grit, build your own Silverado and check out what current offers are out there and available during the Chevy Truck season for do it yourself projects to off road trips, off road adventures, to tailgates, whatever your thing is, it all starts with a Chevy Truck. Enjoy the episode, but welcome to the episode. Right before we got on this episode, I was talking to Mitch. Apparently he's been he's been celebrating. He lost his Innermurals playoff game. Is it flag football or two an touch? It's flagging flag football. He lost the playoff game, and literally not even twelve hours later, the next morning, he's drinking espresso Martiniz celebrating.
Speaker 5: I guess failure.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say we were celebrating.
Speaker 7: I mean I got my buddy Dave in town, so we got to show him a good time we had.
Speaker 1: You don't think I have homies that come in down to watch the game. When I would play and then we'd lose, my boys would be right there next to me. Hey, brod they would be drinking. You know, they could do their thing. But I knew that we had to focus on the next week. You apparently don't have that.
Speaker 7: Well that was the end of the season, and at the end of the end of the season, it's kind of like, all right, we had a good season, we had a good run.
Speaker 1: Lick your wounds for about two weeks, and then get back, get back in the gym.
Speaker 6: Yep, and then we'll we start another league next week.
Speaker 5: Dave, did you play it? Did you participate in this league?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 1: I participated in the loss. It was my first game in a while.
Speaker 8: It was good to be back out there, you know, get the good energy going, be with the boys playing ball.
Speaker 1: What positions? I was playing center and linebacker.
Speaker 5: Center and linebacker and linebacker.
Speaker 1: I was just the guy.
Speaker 5: Did nothing of valued off for offensively other than just tossing the ball.
Speaker 6: It was it was like a good uh.
Speaker 8: I was a checkdown guy. You know, I'm not gonna do well. I'm not going to burn a safety. But you hit me in the flat, I'll put my shoulder in your chin and we'll keep it moving.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: See you rock with some good with some cool friends.
Speaker 1: Mitch. It is surprising.
Speaker 6: Why is that surprising?
Speaker 1: I'm teasing you, bro. You're a guys guy. You know that you're wearing our spring game championship shirts. Battle the Boys. What's up?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: The live show? Live show this week in Nebraska.
Speaker 1: We will be in linked Nebraska at what is the what's the theater called? Our producer does not know, and neither dude does myself. It's somewhere downtown. You know, I will.
Speaker 10: I would like to get ahead of something. Give you all week in advance. I will not be at the live show. For those of you pressures purchasing tickets, I will not be there. I have my engagement party back in Greenville, so I will not be there.
Speaker 11: Continue And for.
Speaker 1: Everybody wondering we did not get the invite to that engagement party, JP's like, hey, I don't think I could make this trip to the spring toward my engagement party is happening. It's like you kind of know where you fall as a friend. I guess it is just business with this man. That's a lie. I know. I do hate that you're not going Nebraska's like, clearly I'm biased, but I do I enjoy. It's so much fun. I love going back to Nebraska. And on on Friday, there's gonna be a coaches clinic. Bill Belichick will be in attendance. He'll be doing a He'll be speaking at the end of the coaches clinic, but I'm kind of getting like I kind of want to be at the clinic so I can just listen to everybody kind of talk ball and everything else. I feel like there's a void that's starting to fester up a little bit more personally about being outside the ball and being removed. And I'm kind of getting the itch of like, you know, wanting to like I'm asking coach Rule, what's your meeting schedule with the players, because I would love to like sit in on the meetings and listen to some coaching and try to get some tit like just like be in it, you know what I mean, I kind of like miss it. In another like off of that too, a new pod that's I've enjoyed that I know nothing about it. I know nothing about the game of basketball, but I'm a big fan of JJ Reddick in his new podcast Mind the Game of Lebron James. I've listened to those couple episodes and really have just listened to the front end of the episodes where he goes over the terminology and kind of the excell and o's of playing the game and everything else. It's just giving me a little uh, give me that itch to like want to be in it a little bit more.
Speaker 5: And honestly to the point.
Speaker 1: And I would love to know your guys' take on this as well, who people watching leaving a comment to let me know your advice, but how people would feel like if I kind of did like a terminology, did some whiteboard stuff, because the problem I've always had with like doing the x's and o's of football for everybody else is like JJ Lebron, they get the copyright stuff, they get to use the footage, Like I don't think we're able to use the footage of the NFL in any capacity or you kind of get next on YouTube, But if we're able to use the way JJ does such a good job like presenting and opening up and transitioning and just the production level. He's somebody I've always kind of followed the you know, to get tips on. He does such a good job communicating with everybody and like teaching the game. I feel like it'd be really cool just from a perspective of whether it's defense or he sits with Lebron and basketball too, you're able to kind of know every position one through five. Somebody like JJ. But if I were to whether it's sit with a safety, a corner, an offensive lineman, a tight end to kind of give all the different angles, say like beginner, fundamental, X and o's. I just think it'd be cool. What would you guys think about that? I would say, in your yeah, in your in your expert not an opinion.
Speaker 10: I think it's cool and I think that we definitely should. Like to me, watching JJ Redick and Lebron James do it together is awesome because Lebron James is a top at least a top three player of all time. Doing this piece of content with JJ Redick, who I mean obviously had a great career, but at the end of the day, he's just another guy that played in the NBA.
Speaker 1: But he still he's so well known because of his college years and he did he played like what twelve years in the NBA.
Speaker 10: For sure, But in the history of the NBA, JJ Redick's not a name that's going to be It's not like some crazy name. So I would say, as you're thinking about it, and I know, I'm like, if I'm JJ Redick when he's coming up with this idea, it's probably crazy in his head. Like, man, it would be sick if I could get bron to do it, So I would say, sit in your seat. You think of a guy that's retired right now, it'd be like, it'd be sick. If Tom Brady would do it.
Speaker 1: That would be sick. And I think it's achievable. Yeah, Well, what I think JJ said done so well at is as he's grown, he's obviously I'm gonna say better, but not as like a disrespectful thing. I think he's he's in the one percent of like two professions, right or three. I guess you got the podcasting world where he has his own business there. He's got the media world where he's on ESPN, the basketball world where he's in the top one percent of that. But he's done so well in his post basketball career to where he stayed in such an exces and O's part of the game because he goes viral from being on ESPN and being like upset over fans some on by this like do we.
Speaker 5: Care about basketball?
Speaker 1: And you know all the intricate details of basketball because he's obsessed with that kind of stuff. And I feel like he's done a great job of establishing himself there to where he has that credibility and I guess that's just maybe not maybe like knocking myself down, but I feel like Lebron's known who he is.
Speaker 5: Like me, I feel like, yeah this Tom Brady found me on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yes, but to sit there and to to to get in something like that, I agree with you. I think that would be incredible because I think what's happening for JJ or what's happened with him. Now you get Lebron because you know you're gonna get millions of views and everybody's gonna tune in because Lebron doesn't just do anything. And so he's sitting one on one with JJ talking through stuff. That's where they kind of have the footage and everything else. Maybe the Tom would be a play because he's.
Speaker 11: I would encourage you to go big.
Speaker 1: I love that and that fires me up. Yeah, because you are you are right. It's I'm thinking of like different different avenues because a quarterback would be the right move. Say it's like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Boys, if you're listening you, I would love to talk some ball with you. But uh yeah, go big. You're right, you're right, You're right. What's what's the saying, shoot for the shoot for the dune, shoot for the moon. You're laying amongst the stars.
Speaker 11: Yes, sir, it's our light, not our darkness that most stuff frightens us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, I appreciate that, and it means even more because you're in that polo coming fresh off church for the east Man.
Speaker 10: I'll tell you this though, what I had this shirt on inside out all of church.
Speaker 1: And nobody nobody noticed.
Speaker 10: No, that's what pissed me off, and I had to go. I went to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Hey, if everybody listens, jj jj JP doesn't cuss either. He's got a little half word in there. He was You could tell he was upset when he says that.
Speaker 11: Well, dude.
Speaker 10: I went to the bathroom towards the end and I looked in the mirror. I was like, no, shot, I couldn't see my I couldn't see my buttons. I was like, oh, no, I can't go back in there because I know that people behind me probably saying stuff.
Speaker 11: Like that, you see his shirt.
Speaker 1: So I went.
Speaker 10: I was in the very back for the rest of the service, and finally I walked over to my friends. I actually saw Walker Zimmerman oh yeah, shot out boy Walker. He was walking by with his kid and uh, he was like, oh, what's up, man, how you doing? I was like, good man, you won't believe what just happened to me? Like why are you standing out here? I was like sure it was inside out the whole time, just now realized it because I nobody said a word in there walking up on you.
Speaker 5: You're just smoking a cigarette. Hey man, you go, you don't know what just happened there.
Speaker 10: Man, Yeah, That's why I'm in this polo never again, never again.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and for that last conversation, we'd love to know what you guys would think, because I'm just kind of like, I know, I'm almost like itching to get into some more football content and like trying to figure out like how to do it, especially if we'd be able to use like footage to break stuff down. And I don't know if it's like like remember when Orlowsky Like Orlowski would be a lot of fun to sit down with. He would be really good with that stuff, but when he was kind of I was seeing his thing last week where he was given flowers to Peter Schreger and then and then McAfee on the McFee show, but he would just record like his iPad. I wonder if that's something where we get where we would get in trouble doing that. I'm not yeah Baldy breakdowns, but again he's somebody that works with the network, So I'm I just get curious if that's like, uh, you kind of like get a pass for doing something, like like you get the copyright stuff or you're allowed to do it because you're like on staff.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: In the medium update with the Spring tour content, just to like let you guys know how we're gonna be releasing this stuff because I know. We were at Florida State last week and we had some awesome conversations with coach Norvel. He was a lot of fun to sit down with. We sat down with Braydon Fisk, Peyton Patrick and also DJ Ooh younga Galley, Ooh Younga Galley, oongalay ooh young Goole.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe it's o Ungala he was. He was fun to sit down with.
Speaker 9: I also think it's Patrick Peyton. Yeah what I say Peyton Patrick? Oh, my my fault, my fault, P my fault PP. But those were fun conversations. Those interviews are going to be released next week. So if you guys are watching out, what we're gonna do is Coach Norvel. He's gonna be our main bust with the Boys interview, and then we're gonna be dropping those interviews with the players the day before and.
Speaker 1: Is it the day after? Is is it all gonna be on Monday and Tuesday? Mitch Jief, do you know.
Speaker 6: I think we still have one more episode before.
Speaker 1: No, but we're we'll just we'll put we might push that one, we might push that one back, okay, or we might just do Norvel that same week because what I don't want to do is I want all the Florida State stuff to come out when it all happens. Yeah, because I know next week, just to tease or just a shout out, who we're gonna have next week, we had Michael Bisbee in Vegas as well, and three hundred is next weekend, so right, okay, yeah, so that'll work out fine, Yeah, we'll do uh because we want to do Bisbee right before UFC three hundred. He was a fucking blast. Talk about charisma. He was a lot of fun to sit down with. All of his storytelling, but ultimately all of our spring tour content is going to be coming out.
Speaker 5: Every week starting next week.
Speaker 1: We did Florida State last week that we'll come out next week, and we're doing Nebraska this coming weekend. When we're there on April fifth and six, we're gonna be sitting down with Coach Rule. I have a quarterback sitting down with the boys, a big interview coming up, and those that were released the following week, so we'll get that stuff rolling out week after week. Florida State first, Nebraska second, Oregon third, Alabama fourth, And for those with the live show stuff, again, everybody last week who came to the meet and Greek had a fucking blast with you guys. Thanks for showing up, and again apologize about all the live show stuff. How we had to pool the day before. That was a very bad move on our part. We should have let you guys know sooner as soon as we found out, because it was kind of like a you know, we didn't know until like that week leading up to it was kind of up in the air about the live show, and then sponsors that were involved with the live show, and then hey, it'd be good if Taylor is present, and then I was like, okay, if we can move this show, one of these shows being the Florida State one, if we can move that to like a Nashville one for when that boy does get back, it'd be a lot bigger because I feel like at times we have a big following. I mean, people love that we came out to Florida State. But again, like last week, whether on Twitter, in the episode like selling like thirty tickets, we kind of shoot ourselves in the foot because a lot of tours, if you think about it, say a comedian or I'm ignorantly going to say like a local band, like you plan your tour around where your biggest audiences are at first, we plan our spring tour around getting into new markets with college football, So Florida State at an example. Oregon has another example, Alabama's closer to Nashville. So I'd be curious to see how that live show, how that turned out. It is, But we base our stuff around the content shooting at these colleges and where we shoot ourselves in the foot, is we Obviously we don't. We're thinner audience wise when we go to different corners of the country, so we're not.
Speaker 5: We didn't have our live show in Florida State. We moved that to Nashville.
Speaker 1: We're doing one in Lincoln because that's obviously your boy, and then in Alabama.
Speaker 5: But we'll see how that one turns out.
Speaker 1: So we have those three live shows Nebraska this week April fifth. We have Alabama that's going to be April twenty third, April twenty third, April twenty fourth, one of those dates, and then the Nashville one. We're trying to figure out the space we're going to use and we will be announcing when we'll be doing Nashville. So all those live shows will still happened. Shout out to the boys. You showed up a Florida State last week. We had a lot of fun, drink a lot of drink, a lot of twisted tea, and had a good time with you guys. And so that's the update on all the Spring tour content. What else do we have? Should we hit a you know what I didn't do. I didn't hit that Chevy Reid.
Speaker 5: But we have DraftKings.
Speaker 1: The Greens in Augusta will soon host golf's greatest players. In DraftKings is bringing you closer to the action with a major offer to celebrate the tournament this week, All customers can deposit ten dollars or more and receive a ticket to DraftKings MILLI Maker contest for a shot at the one million dollar top prize.
Speaker 5: Playing is easy.
Speaker 1: Assemble a team of golfers while staying under the salary cap. Then sit back as your players score points. I want to get in. I want to get in on some that now that I've gambled in March Madness, and I started placing bets now in baseball, and I followed the data.
Speaker 5: I trust the data with Stephen Shade.
Speaker 1: In the NBA. I'm own one there Again, everything I touch seems to lose, and Garrett is not here. But congrats to Alabama. I did bet the Clemson money line to make sure that Clemson would not go far. JP, sorry about Clemson, but again, Download the DraftKings app and use code bus bus to play free for a shot at the one million dollar top prize. Only on DraftKings with code bus, the crown is yours.
Speaker 5: Do we want to get in? Our shout out?
Speaker 1: No? Free shout out? Mitch.
Speaker 5: Do you want to kick us off?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I can JP, do you want to kick us off? I see Mitch?
Speaker 1: Back there oh yeah, shout out the espresso, mar teeny Mitch, I got one.
Speaker 10: I actually do have one, okay, because the past two days by I usually don't have allergies. But now, for whatever reason, my eyes have been they've been itching. You saw how my eye was getting swollen in Florida State for all the farting we were filling that room of gas worth.
Speaker 3: It, I do it again.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but now my eyes have been Now, my eyes have been itching a lot. And last night I just had a good, healthy, slightly painful sneeze that just felt so nice when once I finally completed it, and I like, you know, had boogers kind of hanging out of my nose after it where you gotta wipe it off a little bit after. But yeah, just shout eno free shout out to a good hard sneeze that clears you from the stern them all the way up into your nose.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 5: And sometimes it's enjoyable when you just do three sneezes in a row.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but they if you hit four, it's annoying, like to everyone else.
Speaker 1: Right, But if you're kind of sitting chilling on your own, yeah, you're kind of enjoying, like Okay, this will sprinkle coming to my nose again? Like why am I sneezing so much? And you just boom, look up at the light. Yeah.
Speaker 10: How many sneezes do you think you get before people can stop saying bless you?
Speaker 1: I think you got two?
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, that's how that's how I feel. How do y'all feel?
Speaker 7: I mean, my mom will go on like as much she sneezes, it's not ever just once or twice, it's like six or seven.
Speaker 6: You just kind of let her have that. Like I said, atension seeking sneeze sneeze attack, those.
Speaker 5: Are the intention seeking sneezers out.
Speaker 6: Attention sneezing, and we'll just wait until she's done sneezing. And they're like, bless you.
Speaker 1: So but because when she hits one and you're like, hey, is this going to be one of those.
Speaker 6: No, it's always one of those that we kind of learned that.
Speaker 1: So you just say, here we go.
Speaker 6: Yep, I do your thing and we'll bless you when you're done.
Speaker 11: Stand back.
Speaker 1: You remember that little uh. People used to say like, hey, when you sneeze, you die for a second, like your heart's off speeding. So that's why they say God bless you because you're like coming back to life. No, but I like that you like that, huh? I uh somebody. I think I was in like middle school and somebody told me that. They're like, hey, you know why they say bless you right, like God, bless you. It's like, so, where's when you sneeze your like heart skips a beat, like you die for a second, you come back. So I was like, hey, but so say it again, say it again.
Speaker 11: What do you say when I sneeze?
Speaker 1: Bless you?
Speaker 11: Bless you?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 10: Yeah, like b l E s h.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah if you're like, yeah, that's how I bless you, bless you. But I feel like it just runs together, bless you, bless you.
Speaker 11: It's just I was always caught my ear. What was I say? Bless you?
Speaker 1: But yeah, you get people too, it's like bless you. They see us again, bless you. You kind of say it like you bring it down, like all right.
Speaker 11: Move rooms if you're gonna do this again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the attention seeking like okay, what do you what's going on right now? They say it again. You just got to say, hey, that's enough, what's going on at work? Okay, bless you again. All right, come on, man, shut up. You're around with somebody enough. You just get upset with him. Sometimes I'm like that with Charro, She'll like hit a third one. I'm like, all right, are you good? Watch TV?
Speaker 5: You need me to pull the car over? Fuck, Mitch, what do you got?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with the little hanging fruit.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you shot when your boys come into town, you just kind of we we had a good time. It's been a minute since I've seen Davy, and this strip kind of happened like on a little bit of a whim. But he stayed up with us all week, was couch crashing, and then we were able to hit the town pretty hard Friday night and Saturday night.
Speaker 6: So and it's always a good time to be with him.
Speaker 5: And how do you take care of you, Dave? Did he feed you each night?
Speaker 1: Like whoa, whoa, whoa whoa? We working with that?
Speaker 8: Out of respect, I did do a grocery run because I was there all week. So that's the least I could do. At least I'm keeping the boys pantry stocked.
Speaker 5: Because oh, you were stalking him.
Speaker 1: I was stalking him, you notice, and you're like, hey, is everything okay, Like I'm gonna go. Selection pretty much blows.
Speaker 8: So I really had to upgrade him in like the granola bar category for sure. Popcorn, you know, get a little skinny pop in there, white cheddar age, white cheddar.
Speaker 1: It's like crack that is. That's a yeah, that's a that's a good pool.
Speaker 11: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Pantry suffers like that, Mitch, because you don't even eat actual meals, right.
Speaker 7: Like, my.
Speaker 6: It's bad.
Speaker 1: How old are you?
Speaker 6: Twenty five?
Speaker 1: I mean I guess that's to be twenty six.
Speaker 5: Like I guess that's like I feel a little on par but I mean.
Speaker 7: No, I mean I just got to like take the time to go to the store and like pick some good shit out. I just like get the necessities, like my peanut butter, my jelly, my granola bars for lunch.
Speaker 1: Like you rich crackers, Yeah, my.
Speaker 7: Rich cracker, Like I need to get like vegetables and fruit and well I had meat kind of meet you. Yeah, I got some of that chicken, got some ground beef. But one thing I get a lot is Italian sausage. So you mean, yeah, I'm staying stocked up with the meat. I need to make a cottage by everybody knows the rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sausage boy.
Speaker 7: But I told you I started that oats a little oats, a little concoction.
Speaker 6: So I'm kind of taking a little bit more care of myself.
Speaker 1: Morning the morning oats. Yeah, got the morning oats coming out of the fridge. You talking about how he takes care. He's been taking care of better care of his body. And then within the next twenty minutes is Panda Express arrived.
Speaker 6: That is what happened, Dave.
Speaker 1: You got a shout out. Hey, I've got to say, you've been You've been crushing it on the bus. That's far really Yeah, it's like you've just been one of the boys. Watch. I literally I've just met this man.
Speaker 8: I'm a listener, man, I'm a listener. I'm a huge fan of you guys. A shout out.
Speaker 1: No, if you shout out to the bus man, I'm really happy to be here.
Speaker 11: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Let's fucking go. Let's go, man.
Speaker 5: I don't necessarily I don't have one.
Speaker 11: That's not going to cut that.
Speaker 1: It's not good enough. Shout out, no free shout out April fools jokes, No, U turning two. The probably the sack race. Yeah yeah, shout out no free shout out to Sack Races.
Speaker 5: Mitch Roun the clip, as you guys saw, I leave everything.
Speaker 1: I leave everything out on the field during competition.
Speaker 5: Honestly, my wife had to stop me.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get in against the kids because I saw them do the first heat and I was like, all right, sweetheart, all my drink. It's like, babe, like you're not like, don't go out there on the kids, like you don't have to do everything for content. I was like, okay, you are correct, those facts are true. And then we get out there the adults. Tailor's like, we're going to do an adult sack race, and I see some of the boys get out there. I'm trying to get Chandler out there. He of course pussy's out. But I see Randall Cobb and his boys, his sons were in and the kids ones. I was like, I gotta I gotta make a stand here. We can't let the Cobs sweep the board. Now on that race, everybody thought Randall Cob won. That was a photo finish. I think I give myself the nod. If you saw the clip, I go down hard, I start off, I'm like, Okay, how am I gonna do this? There's five of us sitting here. I'm just gonna go quick. How am I little back? How's my little back gonna do in this situation? I'm kind of going out here dry, no warm up, and so I started going. Once we get halfway through, I realized, like, yo, I can fucking take this thing home. And so I start picking it up and going and I'm just lunging and reaching him. Bro, I just bro. Whoever was filming, I think it sounded like bree bree Chandler's like, oh my god, will oh but yeah, shout out know if he shout out to sack racist man. By the way, I was either because I was text with Randall. I don't know if he commented this on the Instagram post or text me this, but he was like, Hey, sack race Olympics. Maybe you do a sack race at the end of the Olympics, like do it in kind of the final the finals? Like part of that is he coming? Yeah? I told him to come. He needs to come on the bus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, He's down to come on the bus.
Speaker 1: We were having some fun conversations about the Jets the Packers because he's been on the Jets, the Packers, Houston, Dallas, So yeah, I think random would be awesome.
Speaker 6: It was really good Rogers stories.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Zach Wilson stories, he's part of all that.
Speaker 10: When Will was telling me about the sack race yesterday, I asked him. I was like, kind of looked like you wanted did you win? He was like, they're like, I think, but they were saying random one or something.
Speaker 11: But they were all there.
Speaker 10: But he was mad that random won.
Speaker 1: For some reason, I stay quiet about it, but I did that. Straw was like, hey, you thought Random one that, like, I could have swore I got him. He's like, yeah, I mean it was close. Bb, it was just.
Speaker 5: But yeah, shout out no free you shout out to that.
Speaker 1: We can do.
Speaker 5: Let's tear talk it is when is this?
Speaker 1: This drops on a Tuesday, which is exactly April second, Let's talk about April Fools jokes. We're gonna tear talk our favorite April Fools jokes.
Speaker 5: On the Internet of all time. And we're gonna start with Mitch.
Speaker 1: Right after we talk about sport Clips, your guys's favorite. Your hair maygro fast, but after going to sport clips, haircuts, you'll wish it grooven faster.
Speaker 5: That's because sport Clips has the best.
Speaker 1: Seats in here, and that may or may not be because they happen to be right in front of TVs playing.
Speaker 5: Sports all day every day.
Speaker 1: We know that watching sports will getting a haircut sure beats watching reflection getting.
Speaker 5: A haircut, which is why it's sport clips.
Speaker 1: Every day is clippers and curveballs, tops and hel Mary's and even waves and wickets. If you're into that kind of thing, Dave, at sport clips, you can check in with the pros and mentair and totally check out with pure uninterrupted relaxation. So come watch an endless stream of sports on TV while getting an awesome haircut sport Clips. It's a game changer, all right. Now, we'll take our you can do the little whatever, Mitch, will just take our little break and look up our favorite How long have we been going?
Speaker 6: Twenty eight minutes?
Speaker 1: Perfect?
Speaker 5: This is fucking god?
Speaker 1: I will you did it again? Please leave that part in there, all right? All right? Right, so we're doing our tier talk best April Fools jokes is gonna be kind of a mix. Wend. We have someones that remember that we remember on the internet. We're gonna talk about a couple of classics that we've done ourselves, some that we've seen, some that we've heard about.
Speaker 5: We will kick it off, Mitch, are you ready to do yours? You're ready to do your list? All right, Mitch best April Fools jokes.
Speaker 6: All right. So I'm gonna start with an honorable mention.
Speaker 7: This is one that like one of my teachers told me that he did in high school or college for like his senior prank. They got four pigs and like let them into the school and they numbered them one, two, and four. So when they found like the fourth pig or the pig with the number four, they were like, where's the third one? So kind of like a little oh, there's actually only three pigs, but it's numbered up to four. Yeah, kind of a little something like that. That's my that's why it's an honorable mention. Uh, that's a.
Speaker 1: Good little prank.
Speaker 5: Anytime you can do something to this school man.
Speaker 1: Like if there's any I don't know how big are a high school audience is, but a you get a couple, get a couple of bangers here.
Speaker 7: Uh, and then my tier three, Well, because it's when it doesn't. It takes a lot of effort to kind of do this, and like you're kind of an asshole if you do it. But like you saran wrap the toilet, so like there's like you just the layer of saran wrap that's clear right over like where you sit and pee.
Speaker 11: That was one of mine.
Speaker 7: And when you pee on it, like you're peeing on the seran rap, it just sprays pee everywhere and you're just immediately pissed off because you got to clean up piss's.
Speaker 5: And you're saying, that's at the journal, are you talking?
Speaker 6: No, that's all like the toilet, like we could do it too, We do.
Speaker 1: It under the seat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you said took a ship you're just sitting on yeah yeah, yeah, what the fuck?
Speaker 5: Starts hitting your taint a little bit, you start smelling it.
Speaker 1: Oh my.
Speaker 7: So that's tier three and then tier two. I feel like this is a classic. Uh is it start sixty nine or start sixty seven? It's it's it's one of those. It could have been both of them. The like no caller id right, literally prank calling people. That one was just just a classic.
Speaker 5: Did you have a go to prank call?
Speaker 7: I didn't per se because I was kind of nervous to do it, but I just kind of we would.
Speaker 1: We would try and like just make our own story based off ones that Roy Mercer. I know. I've talked about roy De Mercer before on the podcast roy D Mercer this like incredible. He's like a radio guy who always did like these incredible pranks. So you know how I'm talking about roy D roy D by God Mercer.
Speaker 6: It sounds familiar.
Speaker 5: You gotta get you if you don't know who.
Speaker 1: Roy D Mercer is, you are, Yeah, I gotta tap in. You were not tapped in, bro, That's why I said I got to Yeah.
Speaker 7: But then, uh so my tier one, this one, it's it's a really quick one, but when it happens to you, your stomach immediately drops. It's like when someone texts you or like comes up to you. It's like, Yo, did you did you mean to post that? And you're like, oh shit, Like what did I just post something I shouldn't have? Like maybe you were nice, little quick one talking to somebody like that. Maybe thanks for getting a little bit a little freaky or something, and.
Speaker 1: You that photos out there.
Speaker 7: Somebody comes up to you and you're like, yo, did you did you mean to post that on your story? And your immediate like fuck, like what what did I just do? And then you like go and like everything's there and you're like you're such a that. But that immediate anxiety that hits you is like your brain just starts going everywhere.
Speaker 6: So that's my Tier one and that is my.
Speaker 1: Or something of that.
Speaker 11: And we did that to Travis right right right.
Speaker 5: Hey, you meant to you meant to post that last on your story?
Speaker 1: He was playing it off, but he was like, I was like, Hey, I'm just fucking with you. He's like, man, I was thinking of my Hey, like, yo, did somebody post them? When he was out here in Nashville. Tighten you, Hey, you meant to you mean to drop them in your story? I saw you kind of got it off there late this morning. He's like ah, you know. He like he was just trying to play it cool. And I was like, I'm just fucking with you, Dave. You got something you want to get in the mix, I'll get Yeah, I'll get in the mix here.
Speaker 8: Tier three is kind of a classic one, like you cover your buddy's car or something and post it notes and they got to go through and they blow all over the place. Then they can get banged for littering if they don't pick it up. So it's a total it's a total inconvenience for him for her, and uh my Tier two just would be like me and my boys.
Speaker 1: You got to do it to the.
Speaker 8: Very irritable teacher, but you hide like important items that they need in the classroom for the class period to lay it all.
Speaker 1: I don't want to have to watch this power point.
Speaker 8: Let's screw with their clicker, like just totally inconvenience her in her day. And then a Tier one is actually something I.
Speaker 1: Did to a roommate.
Speaker 8: My roommate loads arcauric before the night before just so he could pop the button whatever, have his coffee made.
Speaker 1: Well. I replaced it with a Papa.
Speaker 8: John's garlic pod one time and he wasn't paying attention, you know, he sets his coffee, lets it go. So the boy had a sip of just straight garlic water and said it was horrible.
Speaker 1: So that starts to today. Yeah, yeah, I know. It was definitely got to be.
Speaker 5: A little distracted to where he's not looking.
Speaker 1: It's premeditated, you know.
Speaker 8: I had to be down there and made sure I was having a conversation with him so he didn't see it or any of that, and it worked out.
Speaker 1: It worked out. In my favorite nice list, it's a good list.
Speaker 5: JP, What do you got, I'll do.
Speaker 10: My honorable mention will be just anytime your friend falls asleep and you just start stacking stuff them.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 11: They fall as leaven and you just put like ten pillows on him.
Speaker 10: And one time in college, one of our friends fell asleep and he fell asleep face down, and we spread peanut butter on the back of his leg and we're like putting crumbs.
Speaker 11: That were on the ground.
Speaker 10: And oh, and this guy is he was He was nasty man. He went to the gym and he didn't notice the peanut butter until he got to the gym.
Speaker 5: Like until he had to change.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, he didn't even change. He woke up, went to the gym, and.
Speaker 1: Then he text us, did you guys put peanut butter on my leg?
Speaker 5: Dang, you're just now finding out right, or.
Speaker 1: Like when you take a marker and just you know, obviously draw dicks on your boy's face. Yeah, I love cock. That's like, I actually have a photo my phone, Mitch. I'll give it to you so people can see a reference.
Speaker 10: Sorry logan, Yeah, the middle school sleepover pranks for brutal. My Tier three was I think, uh whatever Mitch was saying, sarane rap, So you can you can serand wrap the toilet, or you can saranne wrap the doorway. The person's like a head legs and they're walking and they just smack the saran wrap, which is a fun one. And then there is Tier two autocorrect. You can change like say, whenever you type the word the you can change somebody's phone to where it could say like.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yea yeah, like something that you know, you know, like is part of their language and texting, you go on their phone and change the word to.
Speaker 10: So say, if you're doing it to your parents, who's super conservative, you'd be like that. Anytime they say the it'll say I love Joe Biden and so so they'll be like, hey, you know what's done?
Speaker 1: Is I Why does this.
Speaker 5: Keep changing to this happy transgender day?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 11: That is today When we're recording.
Speaker 10: A prank we did on my mom, I think I mixed these up.
Speaker 11: This is actually too too.
Speaker 10: My brother he's super savvy with phones, and so he was able to text my mom from an unfamiliar number and he was texting her as if he was somewhere in our neighborhood and was dialed in on my mom and he's texting it and it's like, why is there like a white truck in front of your house right now? And we're all in the room with my mom knowing my brother Sam's doing this, and she's not saying anything at first because she doesn't want anybody to panic.
Speaker 11: He just sits on the chair.
Speaker 10: She gets up, goes to check.
Speaker 1: She's like, this is so weird.
Speaker 11: We're like, what's going on?
Speaker 10: She's like nothing, and then the next text is like you should sit back down. She's like, okay, guys, this is really freaking me out. She's like, here, look at this, and then she's showing us the text messages.
Speaker 1: Are you guys playing it up?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 1: Are you guys still? Like?
Speaker 10: We're like, oh, We're like it's probably Alex, my oldest brother, Like it's probably nothing, like he's probably here because it's around Christmas time.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 11: She's like, ah, this is.
Speaker 1: Just really weird.
Speaker 10: And she we just got her an Apple Watch, so she was setting up her Apple Watch during this time. So she's thinking it has something to do with that. And so my brother Sam, who's orchestrating this whole thing. Every now and then, he's texting her it's all connected, like your watch is all good. Yeah, and so she's like, they keep saying it's all connected. And then she's like, you know, the message will say, you know, like you need to put your dog inside before something bad happens.
Speaker 1: It's all connected. She's like, what's connected?
Speaker 5: Are you guys a break? Are you guys laughing at this point?
Speaker 1: No? But were you guys kind of spas and maybe looking out windows being like trying to figure it out with her.
Speaker 10: We're like, mom, you gotta stop texting this person like they're just messing with you. And then where we couldn't hold on any longer was I literally I got my brother's phone that he was texting it with, and I was like, mom, let me like, let me see what's going on on your phone. I'll walk over there and I take a photo of my mom like this angle me to you, and then I give the phone back to my brother.
Speaker 1: He sends her that photo. She said, no, no, this is too far. How did they have a photo of me?
Speaker 11: And we start dying, La, God.
Speaker 1: Damn it, Mom, Like I just took that photo. You should know it's us. So now it's a good one.
Speaker 10: Now we consistently just hit her with the it's all connected.
Speaker 1: Just the just the lifetime of callbacks to ya connected, And then honestly, yeah, I'll just I'll leave it at that. You said that one, that one, that last one is your tier one. Yeah, tier one, And that's that's a that's a good fucking mine. It's like you were singing before we did the tear talk, but you got the classic rubber band around the around the what do they call it, a little foscet gun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little hose, a little foscet hose.
Speaker 1: That's that's an all time one. My honorable mention is be like, you know, you know, like when you find when you get one of your boys and you just like we were at school and you guys probably done this, smisch, I'm sure you did it. You just kind of find the weakest one and you grab him, you like undress him naked, like throw him in the shower. Yeah, I just wanted that for a potential clip.
Speaker 5: I just run that out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we did do that, but but it wasn't top. He wasn't naked, he wasn't naked, he wasn't nag he said his boxer's kid.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I can't wait to send this one with the kid because we did.
Speaker 11: Like his name was kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his name was kid, Kids Fields. I love basketball from Jason Kidd.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, did you did you ever do the one in uh, like the locker room where you get like a cup of water or the guy just got out of the shower and you just throw a baby powder on him and they got a reshower.
Speaker 5: No, but that's solid. That's a nice one. We would do that locker room prank.
Speaker 7: That was like a that happened to me as a freshman in high school. Like the guys would just like you would get out of the shower and then just they would throw a baby patter on you and then you had a reshower.
Speaker 6: This is just a major inconvenience and you're covered in baby potter.
Speaker 1: My Tier three, I got a couple of good internet ones. We can run you guys these videos. But the first one is when there's this like airport prank tour on April Fools. This airport would take somebody that came in the airport and would have them printed on a newspaper. So if they came in there at security, they're getting this newspaper printed out and they're doing a green screen of like an interview, say like breaking news. So and so they're dangerous and armed, stay away from report them if you see them. And so the person would come through security and they would sit and the guy who would have the newspaper would try to intentionally find a seat and put up the newspaper in front of him. They would like kind of glance and look at it. I'll let Mitch run the clip.
Speaker 6: M hm h.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 1: Hm hm hm down.
Speaker 8: Hell depends do you learn.
Speaker 12: To the person finds as child, thank you?
Speaker 6: This iss out.
Speaker 7: The questioning is that the.
Speaker 12: All dust look out.
Speaker 13: A better more money a Montannic pigrozzy. So then Amphian Spantage breaking news, the pull it tide bitter to me remitted Dringingo for decil House. The deffinities that Guess and Formatta often looked. I think Soka I made a humanists had doogal blondess knocking his arm, won't trip and a hell yacker you freshly get good a spoon, but I can bark.
Speaker 5: But the person initially.
Speaker 13: Peasant, pestified, darns puvis it to a I won't there for that even beains a bitter depot and I can.
Speaker 1: Lend it the rumor we maybe want you.
Speaker 13: That's gonna help my rects fortune and the stime of mine turing time.
Speaker 11: M m m.
Speaker 12: M m m m m nsizing.
Speaker 13: Or bringing the desiw The defindity is that guests and form attack off the float. You presily get get ill, but with boys ask a fields.
Speaker 6: That most physio.
Speaker 1: That's my tier three. I felt like that's like a that was like an all time video of a of an incredible prank. My tier two is uh the teacher one I was looking at before we started this. There's this one where they preface it again. We'll show the video, but they say that the teacher. There's a classroom policy. If your phone rings out loud, you have to answer in its own speaker. Hello, yes, okay, you might you.
Speaker 12: Might want to do okay, okay, thank you, thank you, I'll call back leader, thank.
Speaker 1: Hey, I want to publish.
Speaker 12: That's Okay, I've been accepting this and I already know what I'm gonna name the baby. The first name will be April in the middle name.
Speaker 1: And my tier one. The best sprink that I've pulled off is my April Fool's joke two years ago with Rue being born. She was due on April twenty or on March twenty seventh. Her DWO day was March twenty seventh, so she was like a week late because she was born on April third. April first rolls around and like my wife, she's she's having trouble sleeping and everything else. I'm kind of sitting up early in the morning and I'm just like, yo, it's April Fool. It's like I should just do this fucking baby prank, like because everybody knows what I'm about to have a kid and everything else, and we're all hyped up about it. And so I put out a tweet and they're like seven in the morning. After laboring all night, she's finally here. I can't believe this perfect little one is ours with the white baby emoji. Willa Arlene Compton born at six thirty two am four to one, twenty twenty two. You are my world.
Speaker 5: It's a photo of this black baby, and what's crazy?
Speaker 1: Stephen Hay Stephen Chay. Of course he like he like responds, congratulations, buddy, hope every hope, everybody is doing good.
Speaker 5: I said, we are all good. She's a daddy's girl for sure.
Speaker 1: And h Taylor even hits me up like, hey, congratulations blah blah. I was like, bro, I'm fucking around, like what makes you think I will make that post and put it on social media and not like already have let you know that. Ru has came in and he was like, dog, I'm so like thankful. I'm like thinking to myself, like dude, will really just post a photo and like he hasn't told me yet, like you know, on some on some friends stuff and uh, but that's my tier one, the the black baby prank, because it was going so nuts, like it gets into the all your racist crowd not crowd, but it's just like the audience that doesn't know you or know your humor or anything else, and I, you know, want to make everything about race. But even though the joke was about like damn, you better get a double look at that. That's not his kid, uh, but that is my that is my uh uh a tier list for for April Fool's jokes. Speaking of that, she does she turns two on April third, and I was I was thinking, like, yo, for any any expecting dads out there with daughters, I've yo, great call Mitch, producer, Mitch, I should read an ad before we go into this not twisted questions.
Speaker 5: Zip recruiter.
Speaker 1: Zip recruiter, Let ZipRecruiter help you conquer the biggest hiring challenge finding quality candidate, qualified candidates. See why four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. Just go to this exclusive web address right now to try ZipRecruiter for free. ZipRecruiter dot com slash busting again, that's ZipRecruiter dot com slash b u s s I n ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire. But on my way over here, I was thinking, like, cause, your boy, as you're listening to this episode, we're doing a little family vacation in the Bahamas for a few days before we go to Lincoln, before we go to Nebraska. I know, right flex, And I was thinking, I have a list of dad tips, of dad tips for all the expecting fathers out there or young dads who might be in the mix. Here are some tips that I've written down since Rue has probably turned like one years old, when she can start understanding a little bit more so, probably around that twelve to fourteen month range. All right, here we go, the power of the secret. This is a great tip for fathers out. They're really parents in general. I'm trying to help my wife out. I'm perfecting this craft. But the many you could teach them about telling them a secret, like whispering to them, and they're kind of like caught off guard, like why his dad whispering to me? And I beg, Rue, do you want that to tell you a secret?
Speaker 5: And she was like come over, she beck yeah, I beg no, no, no, you.
Speaker 1: Got a whisper. You gotta whisper? And she beg okay. And then whatever you want them, whatever you want to get them to do. They're all ears. So she might be starting to cry or panic a little bit. This is real life experience, boys, and she spazing out. You want her to take off her clothes to get her to get her in her jamies, but she's pissed and run around.
Speaker 5: She wants to jump, she's got to ZOOMI, she wants to have fun. You immediately just go to hey, hey, hey, do you want me to tell you a secret?
Speaker 1: Come on mine, Hey do you want me to tell you secret? You'll be like, all right, come here, come here, you gotta whisper, you gotta stay quiet, and then they lean in and you're like, You're like, hey, go over to mommy and take off your clothes for so we can get you in your Jammis it feels weird that I'm whispering right now on the podcast. But immediately they'll go from freaking out to they are all in on executing the secret.
Speaker 5: So that is the power of the secret. No matter what you have to you have to whisper.
Speaker 1: You have to get them down to your level, and I promise you they will go from one hundred to fully focused and ready to execute whatever whatever that secret may be. That is one in the toolbox for you guys. This is for dads. This is for dads as well. If you're home, do bedtime routine together and ultimately take turns. Who does story time? Like my wife and I we do a good job of doing We do our morning routine together, and we do the bedtime routine together. So if I'm somebody who's reading the stories at nighttime, this is gonna. This is not only good for being a dad, this is also good for being a partner, being a husband. Is you do the routines together and then you alternate who does story times, so that way me around my daughter she's used to seeing. She's used to see your old man. Because you never want to get behind the change. You never want to get behind the sticks to where it's like they're all mom everything, they're all you know, Mom feels like she's just always in the trenches because she's the only one who can handle any type of chaos, like the baby always wants mom and never dad.
Speaker 5: This helps you be around at all.
Speaker 1: The moments of the day, whether it's the morning routine, the nighttime routine, all of in between. Also going off that eating dinner as a family, Charles, she's done an incredible job of holding as accountable to do dinner as a family.
Speaker 5: I myself like to would like to have been lazy at.
Speaker 1: Times, and then I'll just hey, rue if I might want her to in my head because I'm lazier, will allow her to watch, say Miss Rachel, and then I'll go put or I would want to go put the food in front of her and allow her to eat and watch TV. That is a massive note that Charles never wanted to do. She always wants her to Hey, no screen like limit screen time. She gets like around an hour a day of like watching Miss Rachel or watching something or whether we do movie night on Fridays. And Charles's done a great job of making us our setting the expectation that we that we do dinner time like as a family. So we make her plate whatever the wife cooks, maybe your boys on one of them factor meals, whatever it is. We're always sitting at the dinner table eating together and on the dining room table. I would highly recommend Ryan Holiday's Daily Dad each time while we're eating rue Now she even tells, she even tells Dad, she'd be a dead dad. Read dead Dad, read and I'll read whatever the daily the daily word is from the Daily Dad. I highly recommend the Daily Dad from Ryan Holiday. Pizza Friday and movie night. You have your yearly, your annual traditions for holidays and everything else. Your boy, your your boy. We love to do pizza Friday and movie Night. I've obviously been a big proponent of Pizza Friday. Last week my shot I don't no free shot out was home Team Pizza that got your boy hooked up with a free pizza and a free six piece of those buck guys and garlic bites. Pizza Friday and movie Night. Rue every Friday now would be hey, you Rue, you know what day it is, and she's like Pizza Friday and doing like a weekly, weekly little family tradition that gets them fired up. Give them chores you get there, you make them a part of your tribe. This was something I wrote down that I feel like it is very good. So after dinner, it'd be like, let Waffle out of the pantry because we'll make Waffle eat in the pantry so that way she's not you know, she loves the eat anything that's dropped on the floor, and sometimes she's gotten some bad shit in her mouth to where she's like drooling or vomiting, so we have to make her eat in the pantry. But one of Ru's chores will be back let waffle out of the pantry after dinner time, or any mess room makes with her toys.
Speaker 5: She knows she has to clean it up.
Speaker 1: Or if you have trash as a parent, Dad's great tip you have trash, he's back once you teach them how to go throw the trash away. Your trash is now there. Trash a great joy for them to do. Umm, interrupt them until you love them. That's a sweet lie gesture. That's just a nice little breakup. I learned that one on Instagram. Exercise before everyone wakes up so you can be a part of the morning routine. I know myself, I've honestly, I've had a bad week of working out, meaning it's been non existing. I haven't worked out this week. But anytime, I feel myself in a much better mood, a much better way when I do working out first thing in the morning.
Speaker 5: So I'll try and work out before rue wakes up. So that way you're able to be a part of the morning routine.
Speaker 1: So if you're able to be part of that morning routines, fit and you gotta you know if you're if you're if you don't have.
Speaker 5: To leave for work too early.
Speaker 1: You I base it around all that stuff, workout morning routine, then I'll come hang with the boys at the bus. Uh, what else do I have another little queasy one. I feel actually weird saying this in front of you. Guys love on their mother in front of them, I feel like that's really good, especially for the girl that's out there. You get to like set a standard and kind of should be the role model in front of them for hopefully what they look for one day in a spouse and not some deadbeat, dysfunctional ass clowns out there. That's it, That's what I got. Another one that I'm just now thinking of that I was using today is going off the power of secret, the power of being like, hey, can I ask you a question? Because sometimes like say I'll go home. Is right now, it's Sunday afternoon, I'll go home. If mom puts her down for her nap, she's like she almost expects mom to be there when she wakes up, or if she's not wanting dad for some reason to wake up, I'll like.
Speaker 5: Come inn and sher bag.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, they'll just be weirdly fussy that you might be there, or they're just upset when they wake up. You quickly just immediately hey hey, rue rue, can I ask you two questions? And you immediately get their attention boom first one, the one that I always default to you, how is your nap? Was it good? Did you have a dream or who did you dream about? And they tell you a story, but Dad gets them, that gets their levels. If they're fucking weirdly, having an episode or just spazzing out for no reason, you simply interject and say, hey, can I ask you two questions? And for whatever reason, that makes them feel like, oh Dad needs me for some oh mom needs me for something. So those are my dad tips on my first two years of parenting. Hopefully there's dads out there. If you're listening and you're like, oh, he's on some game or you have another dad tip, drop him in the comments. We'd love to know. We'd love to build this dad club together. But those are my dad tips. Boys. Any any that you guys might know about from your old man or something that you might have had as a kid that you're like, hey, this would be a good any any type of advice. Student of the game, I'm always down GP. I feel like you usually have something. You usually just have something for me. Just sometimes just out of the blue and I'm like, oh that boy JP hit me that one video I said Oh my gosh, that's a great one. We're It was basically like you're here to be memories for your kids. Yeah, that was a banger, which is incredible. Run the video, Mitch. Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean I think I'm better with like ages five through kind of like probably eighteen, but I think with the young kids because my fiance she has some young nieces, I don't know. I have a pretty easy time getting into like the mind of a little kid. So I can play the games with them, and it's like if you're playing like Freeze Tag or you know, like if they touch you, then like you can't move your arm, but then the only way you can move your arm again is if they touch it. So then it comes back to life and there they start freaking out. But I think something probably good for because I feel like dads maybe sometimes have a harder time.
Speaker 11: Connecting with their kids.
Speaker 10: It's just like getting you just get on the floor with your kid and like that's where you play because that's where they're at. And anytime you get the level, yeah, you go to their level, and it just I feel like it makes everything easier.
Speaker 11: I don't have kids, but yeah, no, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna cry you'll crush it. You'll crush it too, Dave. I barely know you, but I feel like you'll crush it. But no, for sure, we got all your boy, we'll get your act on it. Between that two and five, JP came over yesterday, had to shoot this, uh, we had to shoot this stuff for shell gas station shadow no free Shadow.
Speaker 5: And this morning when RU woke up and we're like, you know what you dream about?
Speaker 1: And she honest like she'll just rattle off everything from her memory like her grandparents, Like she you should just start. She names everything and she beg, jetpe JETP, you're you're jappie. Let's go and then she'll be back. When we went downstairs and I pushed in the car and we played like Chase or something like that, and she's like, jetpe jet P. I was like, yeah, you played with JETP yesterday and I was like, oh, he's not he's not coming today. He's not coming today.
Speaker 5: You'll crush that. We'll get you acting made between two and five. But you're you're spot on.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I feel like when you say like, uh, dads, they can't connect with their kids as well. I just to me, in my opinion, I feel like it's like just one of those ingrained societal things that's kind of like, you know, dads aren't necessarily in the mix for all the little things that mom does all the time. Like I know, like talking to my dad, it seemed like he didn't really change many diapers. Yeah, so I knew my mom was always like she did everything right or if something's going on, by oh tell your mom or something like that, versus like my wife, she does a great job holding the line on like, hey, I'm in this thing for a partnership, not a I do all the motherly roles. In her opinion, it's like bullshit that like mothers are better nurtures than men. I think like mothers are better nurtures. But I also think the truth to that is like, yeah, I don't think there's always that effort put in from the male side of like being on their level and being intentional with doing stuff and making sure you're around in all of those moments so that way, you know, you're just part of their life.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's like kids are I forget what the exact quote is, but it's like kids are the only people on this earth that like strive to have a relationship with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, of the.
Speaker 10: Seven billion people in the world, only your kids are ones that are like all in on wanting to be a part of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like it might. Like Jordan Peterson, I have a clip like if you're their number one relationship, Like all they want is a relationship with it, which is true, I say. And going off the video that you said, like we're here for their memories, there's another video I saw that's like they say that kids can't remember anything before four.
Speaker 5: So they were talking about the gift. Of the gift is them.
Speaker 1: Being there for you and your own memories up until then and embracing it. But all the dad ship, bro, it is the greatest thing in the fucking world. It does get harder times, it very much does, but it's been so fun. I can't you know, like on what trying to get more.
Speaker 6: How do you feel about like technology and stuff when it comes to kids, Huh.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You're saying like allowing them to do screen time or allowing them to use it.
Speaker 7: Well, like one thing that I see a lot, and it kind of pisses me off because I remember like growing up and stuff like the parents will like they'll be out, for example, when you go out to dinner and they just give their kid like an iPad or their phone or like a little play pad or whatever, and they're just locked in on this and like you're just essentially like on a date.
Speaker 6: With your wife or whatever.
Speaker 7: Like when I would grow up, like when we would go out to dinner, we would play Hangman, or like we would get the coloring sheets and my dad and I or my parents and I would like we would color when we would play play paper football and like flicking stuff. Like I hate, say, I hate when I'm when you go out to dinner, you just seed little kids locked in on a device. Yeah, and like not having that like conversation and stuff like with your like hanging out with your parents and stuff.
Speaker 1: No, no, I agree, I mean rue, she can't play Hangman right now? Well no, I'm playing flick football. But yeah, getting the coloring sheet we like obviously, like when you're whether you're around friends and sometimes you just learn things like you don't want to do like as your partnership, like some parents they do the We've we've known friends where they have their iPad, they have headphones, they're locked in and they're just obsessed with the screen or like playing the game where they get fussy, so they just give them an iPad. Uh, we don't have her and any like dude. For Rue, it's literally like Blue or Miss Rachel. It'll be like a little before dinner and then maybe after dinner, depending on like how she is, because usually we try to get her to go outside, so that's when we can like throw the ball with Waffle. But I mean, uh, like Charlet does a great job, like when we're out and doing stuff like Charlo has been somebody from after doing the like maternity leave stuff like not wanting to being like intentional with like hey if I still want to go do these things out and about, Like I'm just gonna bring Rue versus basing everything around roof schedule. It's like we have the structure around Rue, but bringing her all that stuff like when we brought her to Italy and everything else, like getting her in activities like for socializing, like she does gymnastics. Uh, she does ballet, obviously I dropped that sickhilight tape on ballet. What else does she do? She does swimming swimming lessons, so she'll be busy like three out of the you know, three out of the five days of the week, and then on weekends it's like in the morning times we'll always go out to eat or we always do something, whether it's make breakfast and make her a part of it. But as far as like screen time and everything else, it's kind of like it's one of those things that I feel like you figure out in your partnership with like how you want to raise them, because I do feel like Tarl and I are trying to be very intentional about the things that we do with rue to where when we say we take her out the like, yeah, she's not really the only time we would have her look at a video on the phone, and she likes to watch herself, whether it's when she did trick or treating that video was hot for a while, or I put the highlights of her ballet so that way we can do her hair, mom can do her hair braided or whatever. You just play that in front of her. But yeah, as far as iPads, phones and stuff like that, we don't.
Speaker 11: We don't.
Speaker 1: We don't, like, I guess allow that. Or if we're on the plane and she's sitting in the middle seat, we have like a backpack with like whether it's stickers, putting on, the putting on the books and some interactive playthings that she does. So it's not like it's not like I have like a strong stance, like I think that's all. That's ridiculous. What do you got? JP? Is it my shorts?
Speaker 11: No, I'm just taking a photo.
Speaker 5: Usually you got like a real tweets from this spot.
Speaker 1: Anytime that one goes up in JP's behind the phone, I'm like, oh fuck, what's about that?
Speaker 5: But it's not like I sit there. You know, different strokes for different folks.
Speaker 1: Like I know every parent's trying doing their best, but I know like we do try and think about screen time. Like we're around Baktyari and they have their little win They're like, oh, we don't do any screen time, and so it makes me think in my head like, oh, should we go from whatever screen time we do to zero? And you know, I wonder why this? And you get caught up in comparing, which I think sucks. But no, the stuff that we do, yeah, yeah, it's not like again they answer your question. Yeah, we're not big proponents in all the screen time stuff. And if she does do it we hope it's like like BLUEI has their like ten minute episodes. Miss Rachel's like very interactive like learning education. It'll be way tougher when they're older.
Speaker 11: I think that's the trickiest screen time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which it's kind of like I don't necessarily know.
Speaker 1: I think it's just as you go, you try and learn and make the best decisions you can, because we grew up differently than everybody else, right, But at the same time, the world's ever evolving, and so is technology. So technology is going to be a part of their life, and so I feel like it's just like trying to be intentional about what styles of technologies they're using, how they're using it, making sure you're, you know, they're not getting in things that they shouldn't be, Like you see this stuff quiet on set coming out and about how you know, and just the predators out there and everything else going on, like being in their lives to where you're keeping them or trying to guard them or keep them from making bad decisions. But ultimately I think it's like you're trying to instill in like your core values and doing all this routine stuff like really being intentionally in their lives and if they tell you something, being like oh, I'm really glad you're talking to me about this, or encouraging conversations so that way they feel like they can you'll pick your brain. And I feel like they have to height stuff or I have to do different things. It'll be interesting and that makes me nervous. But I don't know.
Speaker 10: Florida is trying to sign a bill and maybe De Santis states sign it, but and it would be so hard to But I like the sentiment of it. But no social media for kids age like under fifteen, it's like illegal, which I think would be super beneficial.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there are a lot of like pros of that, and I would be interested to hearing like the arguments against it, because I'm sure there's like fair points. But with in mind, no, we know how we know how we were when we were young, and we just if we had all this access and everything else, we would love it and be obsessed with it.
Speaker 5: But there'd be a lot of things that just wouldn't be good for us, you know.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm thinking about how I was back in the day, like just who knows what I would have been up to on social media? That could have played against the places we are now. I have no clue, but yeah, that's it's all fascinating with that technology stuff. Man. But let's get into Marshall Faulk. How long we've been going, Mitch, there we go our fifteen. This would be uh, this was longer than anticipate. I thought I was gonna have to just come up with different things. But we you know, we still need twisted, still need twists. Oh yeah, what's their twisted question? Our twisted question? Brought to us by Twisted Tea. Twisted Tea is a refreshing, hard eyed team made with a real brewe tee and five percent alcohol. Full of flavor and very refreshing. Twisted Tea feels fun and celebrates extreme fandom on game day. It is the perfect alcohol beverage for game day, whether tail getting in the parking lot, watching at a bar, or watching with friends at home. Twisted Tea is there to turn up your game day. Keep it twisted with the boys and grab a refreshing twisted tea today. This question comes to us from Mitch Carsley, which comes to us from Dylan Guy forty four on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Dylan Guy forty four on Twitter who.
Speaker 7: Would you rather try and survive two hours in a gladiator style ring with twenty Stephen Hawkings but their chairs go thirty miles an hour or ten Helen Kellers with pistols.
Speaker 5: And just just educating hell and Kellers blind in death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep with pistol yep.
Speaker 11: Wait, what does Stephen Hawking have?
Speaker 5: I think Stephen Hawking.
Speaker 6: I think it's twenty Stephen Hawkings with their chairs go thirty miles an hour. So they came off hit you.
Speaker 11: Oh right, I'm dumbying him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because to me, it's like you got to take one blow and right when he's about to approach you, because all thirty of those chairs are coming at you. You just you jump the fuckers and shoal you putty of them. Yeah, but you jump on the first one and put his shoulder right into his chin. All those other chairs are gonna come in and they're I mean fucking these Wheelchairsy're gonna have to figure out how to back up and turn around. I'll be sleeping them while they're trying to figure out how to maneuver.
Speaker 11: Hey, you knock one wheelchair over there, they're out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Literally just oh they all ran in each other start picking them up and flipping them on their back.
Speaker 6: I mean, thirty miles an hour is pretty fast.
Speaker 1: But once again, they're all going to try and collide. It's not like they're gonna unless they're trying to scheme. I'm still gonna sleep all the Stephen Hawkings, Bro, it's only eight miles per hour faster than Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 6: I think Helen Kellers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you they got pistols like they can't hear.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're shooting themselves, they spraying, but maybe they'd be shooting each other though, Jpeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, y'all never been in a shootout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stephen Hawking like, yeah, we'll be dropping well yeah, yeah, I think I drop twenty Stephen Hawkings before they can get typed out whatever their strategy is when they communicate with each other, because.
Speaker 11: Even if once they hit you, I can take the hit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're talking about what twenty mile an hour?
Speaker 6: Thirty thirty Yeah, thirty miles an hour is pretty fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again you don't you don't believe in yourself against twenty Stephen Hawkings. I'm just saying I like I you like your chances with twenty pistols being fired.
Speaker 6: Ten there's tens twenty Stephen Hawkings are ten Helen Kellers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but all it takes is one to hit you, bro, and you're down.
Speaker 1: You could get hit by a chair and you could. You're gonna be down, not gonna be dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, You're not gonna be dead. It's like once they hit.
Speaker 1: You, then what like, what are they You're just gonna keep running you over.
Speaker 11: It's not like that.
Speaker 1: It's not like they're at thirty miles an hours immediately. They're gonna have to build and have some acceleration. They're gonna have to maneuver out of their little short space. And I do well in tight spaces. I thought I played ten years.
Speaker 6: I fell off a car going twenty miles an hour.
Speaker 1: And same fell or jumped.
Speaker 7: I was my girlfriend at the time was forgot like started driving and I like just playing a joke, and I like hopped on the back of her car. She forgot I was there for a second and then like sped up and I started sliding and hit the pavement.
Speaker 1: Course.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that you hanging on to a car.
Speaker 1: Imagine you're he They're taking off thirty and you fucking got Stephen Hawking, You're behind him choking his bitch ass out. I would hit the little swear and then I'm on the wheelchair.
Speaker 5: Yes, bro, you sleep one of them, pull them off the wheelchair.
Speaker 1: You got the chair. Yeah, yeah, I'm doing the Give me Stephen Hawking.
Speaker 5: Give me Stephen Hawking in a mass octagon.
Speaker 1: In the afterlife, Mitch all right on too. If you if you've held on this long, thank you guys for supporting the boys and watching along. Make sure you're subscribe. Commenting during the episode, here's Marshall Falk. He's an incredible interview. As a young Missouri boy growing up, obviously I was I was pulled in a lot of different directions.
Speaker 5: Whoever was winning was usually was usually who I was rooting for.
Speaker 1: And when the Rams became the greatest show on turf, everyone was a Marshall Falk fan.
Speaker 5: So this was an incredible interview.
Speaker 1: It was really fun to get to sit down with somebody that you grew up kind of watching, who was a superstar in your area at one point in time. So, without further ado, Marshall Falk, big hugs, tiny kisses, Marshall Falk.
Speaker 2: Let's give a ratto applause for Marshall Fulk.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely legend.
Speaker 1: Did you just flew in just now? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I got in yeah, earlier today, earlier today.
Speaker 1: I grew up in our south. I don't know if you're familiar with Festus or Farmington, Missouri. Yeah, yeah, but you're a legend, bro, thank you. You are a legend. And it was it's a it's a pleasure to have you on our podcast. Right on man uh you right before the show we were talking and you saw the Nebraska shot out the Big Red. But you mentioned that Osbourne coach. Osbourne was the first coach. He said, you couldn't play.
Speaker 3: Running coach, first coach and he was he was honest, Like first day I was there, you sit in with him and and this before you go to your position meeting, and he asked, he you know what, so so what do you what position you think you can play here on Nebraska and you know like this this the early nineties, Nebraka Roland.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the only reason I took I took a visit because Mickey Joseph, who's from New Orleans as well, had just became the quarterback there and I was and I thought, because I'm I'm right in between Mickey and Vance advanced. Joseph is Mickey Joseph's younger brother, so I'm in between them two. And I was like, man, if I go, I get a year to play with Mickey and then I'll play with Vans because I thought Advance was coming there. Fans ended up ended up going to Colorado.
Speaker 1: So did did Nebraska offer? They did? They did?
Speaker 3: But I had to play corner? Really yeah, I mean you were like, I mean you were an athlete, listen, man, Coach Osborne is a legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They when he was at Nebraska, they turned out so many athletes, so many first rounders, So, I mean he knew what he was talking about. I was a pretty good corner, but I had to love I had to love for playing running back. So it's a little different.
Speaker 1: Was all your offers kind of split? Like your teams wanting you to play corner? Teams wanted to play running back.
Speaker 3: Most of them wanted me to play corner.
Speaker 1: So that's when is that a probably the biggest reason?
Speaker 3: Well, no, no, no, because on offense they were lazy and I'm gonna tell you what happened after all. Right, So so I played quarterback. Receiver, running back, but on offense, I was just a corner cover corner, so they couldn't tell what I played on offense. And right after that happened about I'm gonna say right around maybe ninety four ninety five, they created the position called athlete. So when you recruit a guy, you recruit him, you just get an athlete. Yeah, because they realized, damn, if we'd have got him in here, found out he could play multiple positions. But back then they had the recruited position. You had to play a position. You couldn't just be an athlete.
Speaker 2: If Tom Osborne would have came in and been like, listen, you're a hell of an athlete. We see you can play all over the place, utilize you in ways no one's ever seen before you went to Nebraska, it.
Speaker 3: Would have been easy. I mean, it would have been an easy decision. I mean, Nebraska was like cream of the crop early ninety reference to I mean eighty eight, eighty nine, ninety they were dominating fools many.
Speaker 1: That's gotta feel good to hear, dude, It does feel good to hear. It sucks that we didn't, you know what I mean, Like Osbourne, it happened cornerback. Yeah, it happens.
Speaker 2: I was to the University of Missions. I have to ask Michigan off for you, No, who's in your top?
Speaker 1: Who's in your top?
Speaker 3: Was Michigan wasn't recruiting and you know they weren't recruiting in the South like that, Michigan, Michigan, Michigan, note your dame. They had that idea of they wanted people who played in cold weather. That's that's the kind of They didn't understand the difference in speed in the South versus the North.
Speaker 1: Who's your top three? And why did you choose San Diego State?
Speaker 3: San Diego State wasn't even in the runnings it was it was Nebraska, Miami and Texas, A and m So.
Speaker 1: Why San Diego State.
Speaker 3: I took a trip out there. I was like, I want to live here. This is nice. Man, at the plain Land, you take the one sixty three down you're you're riding. I'm like, I've never seen anything this beautiful, and the only thing I could think of, Yes, I get to spend maybe four or five years out of school, but I get to live here the rest of my life. And so I live in San Diego. In San Diego lawyer Laoya.
Speaker 2: So when I was training, I would be in a Lucadia Carlsbata's area. Dude. It was we'd stay like on the bluff, hang out, like just a way of living out there. Like so California really just can't.
Speaker 1: Beat it, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I fell in love with it my trip out there, I just I fell in love with I fell in love with the city. The school so open, and it's just like and then it was like a melting pot, like I mean, and I was I had never been around any Asians, no Mexicans. I was like, there's everything at this school. Like the diversity was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: What was the process like going into the draft? Because you were number two overall? Right, number two, number two overall? Talk about that because obviously like running back, now you got somebody in the top ten, it's like, oh, that's a big leap. Like back when you were running back, Like the running back was the premier spot that you drafted at you signed guys like you built around the running back.
Speaker 3: Guess what we didn't do in college? The running backs that got drafted early that you see going one, two, three, guess what we didn't do in college? We didn't share the backfield. You watch college down you got three and four guys playing. I'm like, who's the guy? You can't tell who the guy is. Yeah, and so if you don't step up demand. Look, hey, I want to carry the ball twenty twenty five times a game, and then you're not gonna get it. The position and I'm saying it, the position has been devalued by the guys who want to share time. Even in the pros, these guys come out. Man, I never wanted to come out of the game. I didn't want somebody taking my spot, right, and now it's like to run two carries like they'll less somebody else then right, right.
Speaker 2: It's got to make you appreciate a guy like Derek Henry then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Derek Henry, Christan McCaffrey, Kristen don't come in.
Speaker 7: For me, right.
Speaker 1: I saw I actually read recently. I think there's just an article on it about CMC talking about how he's connected with you in the off seasons or you giving him advice feedback. I think it was like you and Ladanian Tomlinson taking care of your body, just kind of being like Christians, kind of like that that style that you were where you're you can do everything. You can catch out of the backfield, you can line up at receiver, you can run the ball, talk about talk about meeting him and how you been Uh kind of I guess a mentor uh and during his career.
Speaker 3: I mean I wish I could say I was a mentor. The kid is such astute and obviously we know his father is is the pedigreed is there. But what I love is in today's game, very few guys reach out. They I got it, I know. And the fact that you know, he'll call and he'll ask certain things and he's not asking for pointers on how to hit the hole, and he's like, how do I longevity? You played thirteen years? How do I do this? How do I add? What did you change about your workouts when you got to this age? What did you you know? The things that you want to know to to like next level, which is how to maintain your body, how to take care of yourself. And and that's that's what he's doing. It's it's not about what happens on the field, is about what happens off the field. And he's smart enough to understand the game is going to be played. You just got to be out there to be to play it the best, the best, the best, the best. When you have talent and you see it, the best ability is your availability.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, with going back to San Diego, San Diego State, when you're having all these big offers and you just go to a place and the location to you is like, oh, this is where I want to be, Like, was there any family members? I was like, listen, you have an opportunity to go to the NFL. Here are you sure you want to go to stand.
Speaker 1: To Miami, but to Miami in the nineties.
Speaker 3: But listen, and I'm gonna be like, I'll be honest with you guys. On my high school football team in four years, I probably won like six games. Like we were we sucked, like you couldn't tell. But everybody we played like you could, like I scored on when we played against the really good teams, Like I wasn't on a good team. So it wasn't like you saw in me, Oh he could go to the NFL. It was like you people didn't know, right, they didn't see it. So when I got to se Diego State and all right now I'm not playing running back receiver quarterback, dB kicker, punter, return kicks, punts. Like when I walked on the fielding in high school, I didn't come off till halftime. Yeah, oh yeah, I did everything and when the and when the kicker was okay, I held for him. So I did everything. So they didn't really get a chance to see. So I get to San Diego State now it's just like that's all I do is play running back. Oh my god, this is easy. Are you kidding me? I get I get the rest while the defenses out there. Oh man, way easier.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was like night and day.
Speaker 2: So if you didn't know in high school, like for for me, I I tell a story that I got offered by Utah State going into my senior year and that was like, Okay, I'm gonna go to the NFL. And when we're for you where you're like, okay, I'm for sure maybe not going to have the success that you've eventually had, but like what did you know, Like I'm gonna be an NFL football player.
Speaker 3: Second, my second game in college literally first game didn't go well. First game, first game, I didn't I didn't play much. Yeah, and I got in it was like we we we played. I think it was like long beach date. And I got in and I had a couple of good runs and then I, you know, tried to tried to do a little too much and did a spin move in the ball flew in the air.
Speaker 11: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: And then the next the next game, I don't play the first quarter. First play, first play of the second quarter, hour starting running back was the punt returner. He gets hitting the thigh and he's out and coach grabs my face mask. The only thing he says is hold on to the ball, and so so from right right hold on to the ball. So I ended up playing the rest of the second quarter, the third quarter, and half of the fourth. In that time, I'd rushed for three hundred and eighty nine yards and seven touchdowns. Literally, people get mad at me because they because because after that, like I think after that year, they shut down the football program. It was University of Pacific literally ended in time. Literally, that's what they say you.
Speaker 2: They don't shut down programs anymore. That is nuts me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. We interrupt this episode with Marshall Falk to bring you David Busters. Every Monday and Thursday after four pm. Throughout the tournament, Davin Busters is celebrating with all you can Eat Wings and a ten dollars power card starting at just twenty two dollars and ninety nine cents. Terms and conditions apply again, all you can Eat wings and a ten dollars power card starting at twenty two to ninety nine. If you guys do that math about thirteen bucks, you're getting All you can Eat Wings A David Busters terms and conditions apply Back to the episode, What was it like going from uh where'd you grow up? Exactly? New Orleans, New Orleans, to San Diego and then to Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: All culture shocks, yeah, all culture shocks, Like I'm talking night and day.
Speaker 1: Man, what was that?
Speaker 3: I remember before we get to that, remember going to the going to the combine. So I leave, I leave San Diego, I go to I fight to Indianapolis for the combine. It's cold like it's it's like this time of the year in Indy and it did just had like one of the worst blizzards and I never been in snow. I'm like, oh my god, it sucks.
Speaker 1: This is awful.
Speaker 3: I would never live here. With the second pick, Indianapolis coach take bar fuck. I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, take us to your thought process probably pumped checking around or second overall, but that same time you're like, damn, I gotta go to Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: Man. I was just like, that's all I was thinking about was the wintertime. I was just like, man, it's how cold it was when I was there, So I kept I was happy that we played indoors, but at that point in time, they didn't have an indoor practice facility. Oh yeah, my first year. My first year, we didn't have an indoor practice facility. So it was, uh, it wasn't It wasn't as bad as I thought. It's it's so different when you like in college, how you see things too in the pros, Like you grow up real fast when you like you're a rookie. Halfway through the season, it starts to get starts to get cold, and you're you're in the locker room and you're in the huddle and he's grown men. He's like grown ass men, and they're like, like, my job's on the line.
Speaker 1: Hold on to the ball.
Speaker 3: You're like, man, this like this guy gotta feed his kids. They got like like the game. For some people, it's not really a game. It's like it's their livelihood and they take it serious.
Speaker 1: And that was that.
Speaker 3: That's like a that's like a whole nother transition seeing the game for what it is, but make it, but trying to make sure that it's still fun for you because the funk can go out of it real quick.
Speaker 2: That's gotta be. Like the hardest thing though, is realizing how much of a business it is, especially like high school, Like all your boys, like you win in six games your entire hot, but every single Friday, the boys are hyped up. Yeah, after how it was for you boys, but hey, it's like how we're going to find a toll pack of beer after this? You know, chase a couple of girls around like.
Speaker 3: The same thing.
Speaker 2: But you're all kind of like doing doing your thing. And then you go to college and it's like a little more obviously more serious, but like no one's got no one's married, no one has families, Like you're still like all as a community going and doing the same thing. Across San Diego.
Speaker 1: You're all chasing the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're all chasing the NFL. And you get the NFL and it's like now you're twenty one years old and there's thirty two year old dudes, three kids growing. Then they go, they do their business and they leave. You're like, yo, you want to you want to hang out. They're like, noah, dog, what are you talking about. I'm gonna go see my family. Like how difficult was that for you to kind of like realize and keep the fun when it was so business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you obviously like you got to have the right support system around you because a lot of the dudes in the locker room they're not when it's over, You're not going to play Madden like, you're not going to hang out. Yeah, And your priorities start to change, and you start to understand how much of a business it is and you have to start. Yeah, the game is fun and you're getting paid a lot of money, and it's a business and they expect you to do your job and if you if you don't, if you don't do the things you're supposed to do, the fund can go out of it really quick, really quick.
Speaker 1: How do you feel like your professionalism in like, uh, you know, acclimating yourself to the league as a running back developed over time, especially as a younger guy like you were alluding to, you know, talking with Christian about like maintaining your body and everything like that, Like how did you develop as a pro uh in the early part of your career.
Speaker 3: That what what I told him and the things that I say to him, and it Spant told it to me. Thurman Thomas told it to me, Ronnie Harmon, Like these old heads they if you ask the veterans will tell you what to do, Like they'll give you the information on how to have a long a long career and how to last and and and how to how to community continue to be productive in your latter years. I mean, it wasn't a hard thing. Actually what what what is hard is early in your career, making sure that you do an off season, you remain in shape, you don't go party with your boys. Later in your career, making sure that you value you value the time that you get to train and don't oh, I got to take my kids here, I got to go here with the wife, the time that we get. Those thirteen years that I played, it's like a blip in my life, Like it was such a fun time. But when I look back at it, I was like, man, that seemed like so long, But it was. It went so fast, so cherishing in the moments that you have and the responsibilities to making sure that you are the best that you can be. It's a responsibility that you got to take on because when I'm in the huddle, you know what, I want you to know when you're looking at me, that you can come at me. I want you to know that I did the things that I was supposed to do an off season to be here, and I got you, and I need to know you did the same thing.
Speaker 2: How was it difficult for you to ask for that guidance and help from those older guys?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Uh huh, No, I'm so. I'm the youngest.
Speaker 1: I I got.
Speaker 3: I got five older brothers. I'm the youngest of six, and I learned, you know, I learned by watching them and asking them. And I didn't have to repeat they paid the dummy tax. I didn't have to pay it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it's fair of being the youngest. You kind of have to go by it like the humble way, because if not the older, your older brothers will humble you. Yeah, we're both, we're both the oldest. Goheaba, No, did you have one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, was there ever, like somebody you reached out to for help, that was like you got to figure out for yourself.
Speaker 3: Nah, because I was select I was always selective. What I did was I made sure that I formed some type of relationship with the person before I engaged and asked for help. And I think that's what you do. You just call somebody up and say hey. You don't ask them about their life, you know, don't find out about anything that motivates them. You know, you don't find out if y'all have any commonalities. You just ask them. I mean that's kind of cheesy. Call somebody, you get to know them, and that's what christ and they say, Hey, man, I'm a big fan, huge fan of yours. Always loved your game, Like like we had a conversation about where I was at in life and what I was doing and how things are going before we got into anything about ball. Yeah, And I think there's just a respectful way to go about it. Who is that rival running back that you always just kept your eye on that all of them, every every back that I took to, I didn't care where you were drafted, how good you were. I wanted to be the best running back on the field. Actually, I wanted to be the best football player on the field period. That's what I always thought about. I never looked at it as as a position, like I always looked at myself as a football player like I was never I wasn't a running back or receiver or slot like. I didn't want labels. I was like, I can play the game of I'm a football player.
Speaker 1: Right, I was I gonna ask? It was so tasting the business for the first time, Like you get traded to Saint Louis. Before you get traded, you have some turf toe that you're battling a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Before you did your homework.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, Marshall Fulk, you're on the man cover. You seeing the jerseys transition of navy blue and gold, like you're Marshall Fulk. So yes, I know a little bit about but tasting the business for the first time, like walk us through that, like because you know you're you're drafted second overall, like you're the man, and then all of a sudden you get traded for a couple of picks to Saint Louis, Like talk up at that relationship and kind of seeing the business for what it is with Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was ready for change, and I think Indianapolis they were as long as because my last year there in ninety eight, I almost did a thousand thousand. Like I was like, we sucked, but I had an amazing year. I almost did a thousand thousand, yeah, you know, and we only won like three or four games. So I was putting in work. But what they realized was that people were still following me. I was the leader, and they wanted it to be Peyton's team. So moving me kind of took a security blanket away from Peyton, which which actually allowed him to grow up because the next year they went thirteen and three and he took charge of the team. How that was kind of his leadership way. But for me that happened but in the move, accepting the fact that it was time to go, and it's kind of like like I kind of needed it in a sense because when you walk into a new locker room and there's guys and it's like you got traded, you got this big contract. They looking at you, you looking at them, and it's like it's like, who the hell is this guy? Who does he think he is? And and and you walk you go from a locker room to where you're proven to a locker room where you have to prove yourself, and it puts you back, like it gives you that edge back. I got that edge back, and I was like, Okay, I like this. I gotta show I got to earn their respect before before they believe I can lead them. And if if you accept it like that, then the business is easy.
Speaker 1: To deal with.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, how long does it take you to earn that respect in your mind? I mean, I'm extremely established. I'm sure it didn't take very.
Speaker 1: Long, but.
Speaker 3: It actually took I'm gonna tell you, I'll be honest. It took a few games. I'm gonna tell you. So we were we were I think we were six and oh and I barely touched the ball. And I had not won games in the NFL without touching the ball that much. Like I think the first game I touched the ball twelve times, the next game like thirteen, maybe fifteen. But we go, we're I think we were six and oh five and oh six and oh, and we're in Tennessee. We're playing the Titans, and they're giving us the business. You know, they're giving us the business. I'm just telling you. We go into the locker room. I go to Mike Mars. I said, Mike, I understand you being judicious. Just come to me. And so we come out. We come out the first like five or six plays, the ball goes to me, we score, and so I kind of took over the game. We were down like twenty one, twenty one, maybe three, and we ended up tying it up twenty four to twenty four, and they got the ball, drove down and kicked the field goal in overtime. But they had not seen like I literally took over the game. And that's when they were like, okay, like all right, we now we see who this guy is. Right before that, you know, I was just like I was coasting. I hadn't really taken over a game or played up to my potential because I was just a part of the offense I was doing. You know, I'm five eight ten yards twenty yar score a touchdown here. It didn't we didn't need to dominate. But like I was like Mike, like, have.
Speaker 2: You always been a guy that's like, hey, give me the give me the ball, or was that like was that a new thing for you to do to kind of like that was that.
Speaker 3: Was always my personality was like if we're going to we're gonna win. If I have the ball, that's like if I'm getting the ball, we are going to win. That's like that was always by my personality.
Speaker 2: That's like a standard textbook personality trait of a skill position guy that you need probably so you need that like aj Brown playing with him with the Titans, like he was a guy that like he's not getting a lot of catches. He's like, do you all want to win or not? Like you need to give me the football. And a lot of guys can look at that as like selfish guys not think about the team, but like you want dudes to have that kind of confidence and that kind of like that have that edge of being like I can truly make a difference any point in the game at any time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went about it a little different because I mean, should I play with ice Bruce Tory Holt? So I was always like Mike, look, no problem, Like we start the game, you throw it, no problem. But when it get real, when it get real, like hey where to go?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like you know when I started looking at him like hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like let's get going.
Speaker 3: Score a little too close?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was it like playing with the Peyton just coming into it was.
Speaker 3: Fun, man, it was fun. It was fun like watching him learn the game because he had all the attributes, but the speed of the game was just a little different, like your first year for a quarterback. It's moving fast, like fast thing you ever thought. And he threw a bunch of interceptions, and I mean I used to we used to walk off and he used to. I just didn't think the guy could get there. I didn't think the guy could get there. And then one time I was just like, hey, Peyton, it's the NFL. Everybody can get there. Yeah, Like it's a little different, man. All these dudes, the dudes, man, they were at some point in time, they were the best person on a team, All of these dudes in the league.
Speaker 2: Like the dudes with obviously that rookie year throwing all those interceptions, did you expect him to have the career.
Speaker 1: That he ended up having.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, you can see it, you know what I mean, Because it was all like every mistake was a new mistake, and he didn't make the same mistake twice. Once he made that mistake he fouled it away, never made the mistake again.
Speaker 1: Let's dive into the greatest show on turf. Talk about that year. We have a Tennessee titan Na Nashville native. You want to hug yard and a half. You want to hug he hugg It's okay, that newspaper shot reaching.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a hug.
Speaker 1: No talk about talk about that year. Man in the in the Rise of the Saint Louis Rams.
Speaker 3: It was literally I remember being in that locker room, you know, from the start of the season, and I think it was like I think it was Keith Lolla Todd Light. They say why not us? Like why not us? Literally like why not us? Why? Why why can't we dominate the league? And everybody was like huh And like that literally started. You could see, guys, because the Rams had a lot of good draft picks, but they just couldn't put the pieces together. And it was because they had drapped with Orlando Pace, gwyn Renstrom, Isaac Bruce, Todd Light, like all of these dudes the first rounds. Like they they had guys that was still on the team, that that that could play, and you know, it just it just hadn't happened for them, but the the willingness to just buy in and and and we started this. We started this thing with celebrating as a team. Like it started in practice. It didn't matter who caught the touchdown, we were going to celebrate as a team. It didn't matter who got the sack where they were gonna we were gonna celebrate as a team. And and that started to feed into the identity. And then we had this special teams coach that was like, he was the best I had ever heard get people ready to play. I mean, and he used to use a lot of war analogies and and and and ask guys to go and and and tell them what to do. And it used to get people so fired up. I mean, I didn't even play Special Teams. I sat in the Special teams meetings just to hear him talk shit. And and he man, Frank Ganz was like he was he was one of the best Special teams coaches ever played. And in that mantra of us, everybody was like, we gotta go to work if we want to do this, and that became our whole thing. Gotta go to work, Gotta go to work, Gotta go to work. Gotta go to work when.
Speaker 2: You guys, So you guys are feeling the juice your celeb yeah team and everything, like when did that? Like, all right, the momentum is in our favor right now, when did it turn into O legit we could win a super Bowl this year?
Speaker 3: After after we lost to Tennessee, the next week of practice, how we showed up. I had been a part of teams that lost games and showed up like it was nothing. Guys showed up, hissed mad, like working hard. You could see that the linemen like O line, D line, they were in fights with each other. It wasn't the it wasn't the i'm i'm I'm I'm doing defensive scout team a offensive scout team and I'm just getting in your weight. It was like they were trying to kick each other's butt and and I was like, man, these dudes, these dudes hungry man, and you could you could start to see it. And we I think right after that, we played the Niners and the Rams hadn't beat the Niners in like eleven times, and we blew them out, like literally blew them out. And that's when it was like there's something here. There's literally something here.
Speaker 1: And having that pissed off team after losing the Titans, how hungry were you guys to play them again in the in the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: We couldn't have had a better opponent. Literally, could not have had a better opponent.
Speaker 1: Came down to the last place, could.
Speaker 3: Not have had a better opponent.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: It was like, if you go back and watch the game that we played them in Tennessee, like that game was hard, was just as hard fought as the Super Bowl. And and to watch the effort of it, George and the late Steve McNair, like the effort, Like I watch the last drive, Steve McNair is leaving it all out there. I'm talking dog tired, and this dude is finding a way to stay up, fight guys off complete passes.
Speaker 1: And you know what was your vibe like on the sideline seeing him drive down.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest, man, I was like I was so calm because I just didn't think this is I was like I knew a little bit about Fisher. I was like, there's no way he goes for two because if they scored, they were tied. But there was no way he was going for two.
Speaker 2: You know, that route was ran wrong. That route at that depth was just a little bit more.
Speaker 6: But that that's it.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: The discipline of the game is sometimes what caused all the times is when you while you win or lose the discipline and how you do stuff.
Speaker 1: Mike Jones, Yeah, Held had that final tackle. You also played with I got to play with him.
Speaker 2: Oh I stay in the super Bowl. Stay in the super Bowl because I was so toy. I played for the Titans twenty nineteen, were two quarters away from going to a Super Bowl. Tell me that feeling of running out of the tunnel for a Super Bowl to literally achieve a world championship, that that moment is it because you like obviously extremely successful, like you've literally done everything you can possibly do as a football player, but like the opportunity to achieve like the holy grail of a team sport?
Speaker 1: Like what is that? Was it moment? Massive?
Speaker 2: Or was it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How hard was it to stay like kind of composed just running out of the tunnel knowing win or loose is the last game of the year and this is a legacy deal.
Speaker 3: I didn't even try to stay composed smart, Like what I did was I I allow whatever was going to happen to happen, and that you know, I was going to be able to gather myself and play the game. That's literally when I ran out of that out of the tunnel, I was so hyped, like I started a hyper villain lady. I had to go to the sideline and get some oxygen. I was like so excited because as a kid, like my friends and I'm I'm I'm from New Orleans. We're playing in Atlanta. I got so many people at the game, like people that spent their last to get there because they grew up, you know, And I'm thinking about my boys when we you know, as kids, every time, it didn't matter what the score was. Oh ship, the street lights coming on. We got to get home. This play is to win the Super Bowl. I'm like, I get a chance. Man, You're crazy, Like I was not gonna hold anything back. And you know, by the time when I ran out, I'm I'm like, I'm amped, and I time I wore myself out, I'm sitting on the bench, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I gotta catch my bread yeah, fague.
Speaker 3: Literally I started the game off tired, and it took like I had to catch my second win just to go out and play. That's that's how much adrenaline is going through your body to play that game.
Speaker 2: What a moment that would be.
Speaker 1: They're the MVP that year too, Right, No, that was Kurt's that was Kurt. You were second to Kurt? Right, that's wild, Like Kurt was Kurt Warner's number one.
Speaker 3: So three years in a row, two So Kurt one I was second. I won, he was second. Kurt one I was second three years in a row.
Speaker 1: To a guy who was filling grocery bags.
Speaker 3: Man, the best grocery bagger in the business.
Speaker 1: Question detail.
Speaker 2: Bags were never on the bottom, Like he knew what the hell he was doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was he like? Playing with him?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 3: Best man?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 3: Man, I tell people all the time, like I'm talking not just football player, but like person you meet him like so authentic, so authentic, uh, and just just enjoyed playing with him. He only got upset with himself. It didn't matter who was yelling at him. He's he maintained who he was, and he always stayed in his person and who he wanted to be, like a man of fan, always.
Speaker 1: Not going back to back Spygate, Patriots taking it from from us from the Rams from US Rams.
Speaker 2: You were a Cowboys fan.
Speaker 1: I was a Cowboys fan. But you're still like, you know, when the when the city team wins. As a kid, you're on that bandwagon, you know what I mean. Like Marshall Falk was on the cover of Madden. You pretended to be guys like Marshall Falk, Trail Davis, Eddie, George out in the front yard. But back to the question of not getting that back to back Super Bowl against the Patriots, talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a tough one, man. You know, for for a while, I hung on that loss more than I did the win, you know, And and and you just you just, you know, you gotta let it go. You literally let it go. And and that's that's easy to do when you play sports. You know, you you don't you don't really know how to really maintain what you need in order to enjoy the win. It's so much easier to go down and be pissed off about the losses. So much easier, you know, because it it becomes few to your fire. You know, you use it to like get stuff done.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: Really, when you're the best, you're like, oh, I'm gonna work out harder. You know, it's like it's harder to work out harder when you're the best. It's easier to work out harder when when there's some adversity or something's up against you. And so you know, I had to I really had to like work on like, man, I gotta let this go. Like I enjoyed winning the super Bowl more than I did losing the Super Bowl. Why am I not talking about this as much?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you feel there's any truth to the spy gate?
Speaker 3: And man, look, I mean let's let's just let's just say this. It's it's it's not one spy gate, its two spike gates. There's all kinds of stuff that you know it's but but in this, in this, in this business of professional sports, you know, Al Davis used to said, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: And some people, some people, you know, you you find it, You find a way to get it done. And in the game, in between the lines, it ain't holding it. They don't call it, Yeah, but spying if they don't, if they don't call it, they gotta call it. The league has to throw the challenge flag on itself. Yeah, And they ain't never doing that. We're not gonna be baseball. Remember that baseball got some taint it. He ain't doing that. You're not gonna see no asterisk buying any super Bowl?
Speaker 4: YEA?
Speaker 3: Trust that?
Speaker 2: When do you when you come back to obviously you didn't play in Las Vegas for a Super Bowl, but you're during super Bowl Week? Like is there a piece of nostalgia every time you come back and do all this stuff?
Speaker 3: Always always always just just the memory, the memories of because because when you're actually when you're like so when I was in the league, I would not come to a super Bowl until I played one or until I won one. So I never came until until until then I came to ninety four, and then I didn't come again until until after ninety nine, until after the two thousand season. So you're always wondering when you're playing, like what's happening? What's going on out there?
Speaker 1: What? What's what?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What what's what's what's happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 3: Now being on this side of it, I'm always thinking about, like, man, what are they talking about? Like what are they what are they game planning? What's the scheme?
Speaker 1: Like, like the guys what what?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 1: What are? What are they planning on?
Speaker 3: Because you talk about how much you're going to man after we win this, after we win this, here's what we're gonna do after we win. Oh, I can't wait. I can't Like you're you're manifesting your destiny and so you're talking about it. You can see it, and that's why when you lose it hurts so much.
Speaker 2: There's obviously a lot of passion in your voice, Like where did you get this championship mindset? Has it always been since you were a young child or did it have to develop over process of elimination of trying new things and kind of having to pivot if it okay, this mindset, this way, this body of work is not working for me right now, Like where did you get to where? What we're seeing right now?
Speaker 3: When you're the youngest and because of age, size or whatever, you don't get to win, it burns in you. Like I I So basketball is my first sport, and my brothers they all played basketball, and my two brothers that were really good. When I got big enough, they wouldn't play me, so they didn't want to lose to me. So it's it's literally just it's just competitive at me. Yeah, you know, I compete at everything everything that I do, I compete and I'm always competing against myself. I'm just trying to get better, just trying to get better. I'm trying to live life better, trying to be a better human every day.
Speaker 2: There's got to be like a with football players or anybody who plays a sport in general, there's got to be like this insane competitiveness like about you every fast, Like I feel, it doesn't leave any part of your life, Like what about it?
Speaker 1: What now?
Speaker 2: Are you like the most competitive in.
Speaker 3: Probably golf?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, big golfer.
Speaker 3: I love golf. I love golf. It's it's the most mentally challenging thing that I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 1: Like it's.
Speaker 3: You know, I've never been so mad and disappointed in myself for not being able to mentally focus at something that doesn't hit back.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like it's crazy.
Speaker 2: If you could play somebody want a celebrity in golf just to know that you could beat them. Who to be to know that I can be, not know that you could beat that, But if you want to prove yourself, like a guy like Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: We know he plays all the time Tiger, Like I would like to play Tiger in the match.
Speaker 2: And you think you'd beat Tiger.
Speaker 3: I'm saying I would like to play Tiger. Come on, man, like, really, have you seen the clip?
Speaker 2: There's a there's a barstool podcast called Foreplay and they did a long drive company with Tiger. Have you seen that clip? Yeah, he's on his knees. Yeah, incredible. Out drives him, out drives him.
Speaker 1: That is just crazy. Do you got any good uh? I got to play with London Fletcher, like his last year. Do you have any good London Fletcher stories? Because you was used with him when he was young, like undrafted, like he always had this look at his eye he kept at the end his entire career. But do you have any good London Fletcher stories?
Speaker 3: So the best, this is my best. I don't know if we named him dot com dot com Fletcher dot com, so we started calling him dot com. But here's how I met London. I was on the coats and we had a joint practice because Jim Moore, he he and Dick Vermill they coached together at U c l A. So we meet at Champagne Illinois and we have a joint practice, all right, and we get ready to do one on ones and uh like, the starting linebacker comes up. I don't I don't remember who it was. And I came up and I come out the backfield on the route, catch the ball. Then we moved to the other side. I come up. The other starting linebacker came up, caught the ball on him, and then it's time for me to go again. And the linebacker that's up is like wearing number sixty six. And I turned around. I'm like, can y'all get somebody else in here?
Speaker 1: And it was London.
Speaker 3: It was London because it was his rookie year, and he was like, he was like, you don't want to go against me. You don't want to go against me. I'm like, look, man, I ain't trying to get hurt messing with no rookie, right all right? And two years later, I'm playing with him and we line up and he reminded me. He was like, hey, I know you don't notice, but I was number sixty six when we were in camp.
Speaker 1: I said, okay, did he ever do have your strap you one on ones?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, not never, No, he couldn't not no. But you know Pat linebacker pass right past pro, you know, pass pro, meet him in the ag gap, catching him off the edge. He he won his battles there. You know, I put up a good fight and I'm supposed to lose that. I'm just supposed to occupy your time, right, I supposed to win. I'm just supposed to get in your way death.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but one on one he no chance. I told him. I said, listen, here's the reality. Ain't whether I'm going to catch the ball. The reality is you're not gonna touch me. Like in this drill me, winning is whether you touch me or not.
Speaker 5: Has there been a linebacker to strap you, whether it's in a game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, it's it's listen, it's going to happen, right, I mean it's yeah, It's happened many a times. But but like we're talking situation, you know what I'm saying. If it's if it's third and I gotta win, whatever that is, it ain't happening.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: You can catch me on second down. You can probably catch me, you know. But if if if we're calling the play and this play is it's third in this and we're going to they're calling they're calling my route or a play to me. Unless they double team me, like and take me out and make the quarterback not throw it to me. I'm winning. That's that's just that was like guarantee.
Speaker 1: I mean you essentially, I mean you were like known for the folk route coming out of the backfield running vertical. I know that was absolute hell for any linebacker to have to do.
Speaker 3: Just cover Marshall out of the Listen, what are you thinking about? You're like, Okay, it's gonna break in. You're gonna break out right and amenity runs boy.
Speaker 1: You You're like, oh, are you strapping down Marshall? Yeah? I mean, you know I'll get him every now and then, do you think?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, I'm gonna get I'm gonna have my day. I'm gonna have that.
Speaker 3: Out of ten times, I'm gonna win.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guess right at some point.
Speaker 3: I'm the other time I fell down, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Get I'll have to guess, but I'll guess right at some point, and then that's when I'll stop playing, you know what I mean. Now, I'm shall, you know, get somebody else here. I'm not trying to get hurt. Against somebody like you, dude, you were talking earlier about always wanting to be the running back, like never leave the field, be that guy at all times. Talk about like when Steven Jackson was coming in and you start splitting characters and splitting reps in the later part of your career, Like how was that for you?
Speaker 3: So the story is different than that. When they drafted, Steve and I had a conversation be cause Stephen and I we had the same agent. And I said to Steve and I say, look, here's the reality. And I told Mike, I said, here's the reality. If you want the job, you got to beat me out. I'm not giving it to you, like I'm not. You have to take this job. And I told him, I said, the only reason why that's the case is in this huddle, the best guy gonna be here for these dudes. And so if you beat me up, you're the best guy. That's it. But I knew I was, you know, I was. I think I was like thirty two, you know, and I was like I couldn't play whole games anymore. I needed, you know, I needed to kind of split time a little bit, you know. I just I wasn't the back I was. I once was, so.
Speaker 1: It was. It was good.
Speaker 3: He he learned a lot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I sat down with him and went over film and talked about here's what I see, Here's what I'm thinking, this is my prestat read, you know whatever. Whatever I could teach him, I taught him, you know, just just in not like taking him under my wing. Just I want when he's in there, I want.
Speaker 4: Him to have.
Speaker 3: What I have and how I see things for the other ten guys in there. So and he was, he was, he was awesome, and he he never I mean, you're you're your early pick. You know, you're you're playing behind you know, guys in his eleven twelfth year, you know, and it's like ship. You can't win the job. That could mess what you're confident, you know started, Yeah, that started the best with your confidence. And the only thing that kept me in the game was because you know, like the mental side of the game, you know, mentally mentally, I just I didn't make many mistakes. And when you can, when you can, when your mind is sharp and you cannot make mistakes, and you could be efficient with carries, always get positive yards. Although you don't hit the home run the way you used to and you're not. You can't do all the things that you used to do. You can still be effective.
Speaker 2: How was how was that process when you start to figure out, okay, I can't hit the home run, I am losing a step like father time and starting.
Speaker 3: To catch up with you. Right, oh, yeah, you're in.
Speaker 2: When did the denial turn into acceptance?
Speaker 3: Maybe the season before my last So my the twelfth year, I had a series of games that I mean like I never got tackled by the first guy, and and so it happened probably three or four games where single guy ran up on me, I put a move on him, and he got me. And I was and I was like, and I was like, man, you know, hmm, you just you're thinking like, oh, oh that was a good tag. He barely got my leg. Oh he barely. Oh he hit my leg and it hit my other foot. And those are things that that first guy wouldn't even touch me right now and now yeah, and now I'm getting tackled by the first guy. To me, that was like, you know, that's like a wounded animal out there. I'm like, listen, there's blood in the water. There's no way I talk too much smack when I play like, there's no way I'm gonna be out here and I can't. I got I can't make the first guy miss I'm in trouble.
Speaker 1: You who some of the best ship talkers you went against.
Speaker 3: Johnny Randall, Rodney Harrison straight hand talked all day. Oh sap, Oh my god. Sad wouldn't shut up, would not shut up.
Speaker 2: It's impressive to see a big guy that doesn't shut up. You know, you can kind of motor around that much and keep the john Sets going the whole time.
Speaker 3: Sad was was was the one, and he had an issue with this guard that we had, uh, Frankie Garcia, and he talks back to him the whole game, called his name out the whole every time. He was Frankie, I'm coming to get you, Frankie, look.
Speaker 11: At me.
Speaker 1: Anything you're saying to Frankie.
Speaker 2: Hey, Frankie's okay, brother, We're here for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh well the first the first time it happened, he was like, Frankie, Frankie and Frankie Frankie and and I'm looking this way, Frankie's back as the Sad and I say, Frankie talking to you.
Speaker 5: Frank You gotta do something, frank stand up for yourself, Frankie.
Speaker 2: And Off it's the lineman. And so a lot of those dudes are South spoken cats. But he was he a talker, was Frankie talker. He kind of keep nothing to say, frank killing with kindness kind of guy.
Speaker 3: Something happened Frankie was playing somewhere else in him and SAP. Something something happened and they had issues. And when that's when anytime SAP played him, regardless of he was playing on it, he got after him.
Speaker 1: Damn. How it's a bad guy to have on your back. How do you, uh, how do you feel like the game has gotten softer since you since your guys' era.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say softer, They just they're they're they're playing smarter now. In playing smarter, what they've done is unfair to defense. You know, guys are running across the middle like their Bambi. They can't be touched. They trying to play brave like like you know what I'm saying, Like, dude, stop running across the middle and you're gonna get up talking smack to somebody because they can't hit you unless you look at them like if if if, if I IF, I always say if I duck, that means I saw you. Yeah, so that creates heilme with the helmet more helm with the hillman. Contact happens when the guy ducks your linebacker. You're going in he duck. Bam, help with the helmet flag on you. They've put they put too much of his responsibility on the defensive guy. The quarterback throwing the ball, not protecting his receiver, the offensive coordinator calling these plays, putting these guys in these kamakazi situations, none of them are responsible.
Speaker 2: And giving a lot of interpretation up to the referee. Yeah, putting them in a difficult position.
Speaker 3: And listen, any any hit that looks bad, they got to throw a flag, got to they have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what were your guys' off seasons? Like I'm trying to remember because we had all start on and he was talking about you know, how the union, how it shifted. We asked for all this off time and stuff like that, Like what were your guys? How long were your guys off seasons? Like when did you have to report? So your last game is in January?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so last game in January, let's say February we started off season conditioning and right after the draft. Off season conditioning would be from February until the beginning of April, and then you would leave after April. You come back right after the draft and do the first mini camp. They'd have a you know, if you were first or second, your guy with the rookies, you do that mini camp, and then the next week they'd have the bets would come and you do another mini camp with the Vets and the rooks. Yeah, and and camp was six weeks long.
Speaker 1: Damn man, we do that?
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 2: And not even talking about two days. Oh yeah, I had to practice two.
Speaker 3: Days, not for real, real days, not like not like home.
Speaker 1: It's only too like my rookie yar.
Speaker 2: Two day would be like practice in the morning with pads, a little jogged through in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, we we were.
Speaker 3: We were full strap ten days, full tackle too. Oh yeah, tackle to the ground and goal line like live now.
Speaker 1: When you when you were Marshall Fulk m v P. Marshall Fulk, were you having to participate in on the two days?
Speaker 3: I still did it. Yeah, I still did it, Yeah, because like that was I always my conditioning was how I beat people. I was like you when we got to the fourth quarter. I know you didn't work as hard as me.
Speaker 1: I knew it.
Speaker 3: There's no way you worked as hard as me, No way.
Speaker 1: What was what was it like you had you know, you had to scale positions like yourself. You mentioned Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce was all your guys' work ethics just sickening, Like you're explaining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we pushed each other like in conditioning, like we were all we raced, we pushed each other. Like some of the stuff you saw in games wasn't even close to what we did in practice. Like if you if you thought the greatest show on Turfin, if you watch some of the practices, unbelievable, just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: The joint practic it is today like the worst. It's let's like a war. I can't imagine what they were like when you play.
Speaker 3: Well now in today's in today's game, that's all they have to They understand that they getting to fight practice over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but it's also there's not a whole hour at the same time, like there's not you know, if you get like a little scuffle like there's not you don't have to worry about penalties. Guys are playing a lot harder and a lot dirty. I feel like joint practices are actually more difficult than games.
Speaker 1: To an extent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I I don't know, Like for for us, a joint practice was easier than our practice solo. Yeah, because a joint practice, I'm going against somebody who don't know me. When you're going against somebody, when you practice against somebody who know what you do every damn day, you know how hard that is to defeat him every day.
Speaker 2: It's like to learn everything.
Speaker 3: When the team you got to play in your division, you gotta play him twice. That second time you play him, it's hard. If you play him a third time, you're like, we beat him twice, can we beat him again? It's hard. But now you get to go up against another team that's like, oh man, this, this is cake, this this guy don't know my tricks?
Speaker 1: Right? Looking for an assist with your credit card but can't get a hold of anyone. Luckily, with twenty four to seven US based live customer service from Discover, everyone has the option to talk to a real person anytime, day or night. Yes, you heard that right. You can talk to a real human and customer service anytime. Sounds like a real game changer if you ask the boys, make the right call and get the service you deserve. With Discover limitations apply see terms at discover dot com. Slash credit card playing.
Speaker 2: Uh, make a lot of relationships in football, obviously, who is give me your top three teammates of all time? Doesn't have to be best players, just the boys like hanging out with the most.
Speaker 3: Todd light, Uh, Tory hot.
Speaker 1: And who else?
Speaker 3: Oh a guy that so so this is funny. So my backup in college was my backup in the pros for real? Yeah, a guy named Justin Watson.
Speaker 2: How to get to the NFL? Playing behind you if you said, never come off the field.
Speaker 3: Literally it just happened.
Speaker 1: Was younger than you, like you leave, he has a year he's doing it.
Speaker 3: Uh huh Yeah, I left, So he was my backup. I left. He had two years. He was in camp with the Chargers. He was in camp with the Chargers, was was was was on their practice squad for two years and then got picked up when I got traded to the Rams.
Speaker 1: You got any good uh? Your best post Super Bowl memory in that next week two span after you guys win the title.
Speaker 3: Oh man, just every every everywhere I went, I think I spent I spent the week down in Miami South Beach, rented a yacht like just just yeah, I mean I was. I mean you gotta remember I never won anything in football, like, I never wanting I never wanted to pay football.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You never like I never I won a championship in basketball, baseball, I won state running track. I never won a championship in football. And my the first championship I went in football is in the NFL. I lost my damn mind.
Speaker 1: Crazy to most money you spent in the night. So I was.
Speaker 3: I was a smart party.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I didn't always take it on. I always had teammates with me, so we split the bill. So we always split the bill, credit card roulette and nothing like that. I mean that happened a couple of times.
Speaker 2: But you have sure you didn't get gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you don't make sure you know I've I've uh yeah, I mean it's happened. It's happened.
Speaker 1: What's the heaviest bill you've seen?
Speaker 3: One of the trips we took to Vegas?
Speaker 1: What, man, I have to come to you man, Yeah, what Flavor Flave man have done? Because we saw you?
Speaker 2: So I'm in Michigan, right yeah, Michigan, Michigan, Verst, Nebraska.
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago. I had to come.
Speaker 3: I had to come in here and call my own version of.
Speaker 1: Right here.
Speaker 6: How you doing, my brother?
Speaker 3: I'm good, man, I'm good. No complaints, I mean, I mean, no complaints, no interruption.
Speaker 12: I gotta break out, man, I just want to come Special Love man, probably see you probably tonight.
Speaker 3: Let's do that, okay, my man, my man, Uh, excuse.
Speaker 1: You're good. Welcome to busting with the boys. Many take care, God bless yeah marshalls right on, man.
Speaker 2: Hey, I did see him back that.
Speaker 1: I saw that chain. I was like, is that he did? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Slave just jumping in.
Speaker 2: Hey, what a wait in the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you know Flavor flav Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, he's super Bowl when you can see. Yeah, he was on the yacht.
Speaker 3: Hey man, me and Flavor we go back by. That dude's a pioneer, man. Yeah, you gotta love some flavor.
Speaker 1: Who's the first dude you were starstruck by him?
Speaker 2: Flavor of Love?
Speaker 3: Probably I was in college. I just like bursted onto the scene. My freshman year the next year, and I went up to LA to watch, uh, to watch Martin and to get to get to meet Martin Lawrence, you know, like in the time when he was doing Martin.
Speaker 1: Oh Man.
Speaker 3: I was just like, you know, I wasn't into the whole Hollywood thing, but to see like, you know, most actors play somebody else, but Martin is Martin. Like Martin is Martin Lawrence, so like you're getting to see the dude be himself. It was just like, damn, this is this dude, this this Martin. Man, he was like the first star star that I met.
Speaker 1: How about a flippant who was the first dude who you weren't necessarily star stroked by, but you're surprised that they were super like knew who you were or star or were starstruked by you. I'm trying to feel like, oh man, this dude, he knows who I am.
Speaker 2: Someone comes up there, I'm a big fan of you, Like, bro, you're you right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Charles Woodson in here early, He's like, oh yeah, busting with the boys on night. Charles.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to like, we got a call. I'm trying to think I think it was I think it was we got a call because he wanted a jersey. He wore it in the video. He's in a he's in there like he's wearing a bunch of videos. This was like, you know, late nineties Jay, maybe early two thousand and j one of my one of one of my jerseys is in his video.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: Like I was like me, like my jersey. You know cats, cats from New York don't want to Yeah, they don't went to outside of Jersey. When you're from New York, you're wearing all New York and stuff.
Speaker 1: That is sick anything. Should we ask him anything before we leave, before we head out? Is he still in there?
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, question absolutely, mm hmm. Like so many of these texts, Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we have before we let you go talk about a drug free world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I know we've been having some good times here, but as you guys see, like uh, I literally I went to talk to some high schoolers and these kids, man, there they have no idea, they have no idea fitting all in drugs, what's going on, and they're curious and a lot of the times, as you know, we were kids the minute the manuye. Your parents or somebody said say, don't do what do you do?
Speaker 11: You do?
Speaker 1: Curious?
Speaker 3: And we've just taken a different approach. I tell people go to drug freeworld dot org. We're not gonna tell you to say. We're not gonna We're not gonna tell you no, We're not gonna tell you that don't do. We're gonna tell you educate yourself, like just like you use Google, go to our site, get the information. Don't let your friend tell you this drug made me feel like this and then you try it and you die or something crazy happens. Literally, we have educator kids information, anything and everything under the sun that you would need just to understand before you try it. What's out there for you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 1: Uh? What got you into that?
Speaker 3: I just I grew up around drugs, and listen, I made it to the Hall of Fame. And I wasn't the best player on my team in high school. There's I wasn't the best player at my community.
Speaker 1: I mean, you seem like you played every position. I would almost assume that you were probably the best player. I wasn't. I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Here's six games you play.
Speaker 3: The best, the best guy sometimes didn't show up. You know, he was cool, he was smoking weed, he was cool, he was you know, and then eventually you know, that guy was the guy. You know, after my rookie year, I go back home, he's the guy on drugs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, so you know, what do you do? What do you do? How you let people know? I believe the best way to let people know is by educating him and giving him the opportunities to, like, hey, at your own liberties. Go to the site drug freeworld dot org. Get them make the right decision.
Speaker 1: Was it just like an area that just touched you to be like, I want to like get into space or was there anything?
Speaker 3: I was always in the space. I grew up around it. I grew up around it.
Speaker 1: You know it it it.
Speaker 3: It has touched me deeply. You know, I've lost many of friends. I've had family members partake and have issues, you know, and and recover, you know, yeah, to live a better life. But everybody don't make it right.
Speaker 1: Everybody don't How you know in your experience, do you approach conversations like that with somebody close to you that you would you know, it's like you want to immerse yourself into their world and try to help them out, but you struggle like bridging that gap for people that are like watching right now. I know, I think of a couple of situations in my circles where you like, you're just trying to find the lane of like getting them the help they getting them the help they need, I guess without like being like forcing yourself one of them, like in your experience, like what advice would you have with that?
Speaker 3: What I what I what I say is and what I'm always trying to do is anything anything that we we find ourselves needing in life. You gotta find out why, like well why do I like that? Why why do I need to do this?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 3: What is this masking? Because it's masking something, And if you can get down to the core, then you can solve the problem. And the reality is they might not want to. They might not want the problem solve. They might like how they live, how they live their life. And when that's when that's the case, then you you got to back off because until they are ready, it's not gonna happen. You can't make it happen for them. I can't make it happen for them. They have to be ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the hardest part, right it is, Yeah, just trying to get somebody to get ant of their own way and.
Speaker 1: Like backing up when you're just like, you know, you care about somebody and you're you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, time that type of situation where you're dealing with somebody that's using or abusing, it's like you want to help them. But usually with people that are abusing something, when you go into approach them with that situation, yeah, it's usually met with the resistance and it ends up and it killed the messenger type of situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you go around and speak a lot?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And you know, the the idea is that it's it's just street drugs. It's not just street drugs. You know, there's there's some prescription drugs that's that's out here.
Speaker 2: I mean, prescription drugs are a whole another ballgame, like they're i mean playing. Obviously, you get in there, they give you a couple of pills. Hey, this is make it feel a hold better. You take it and you're like, oh, I get it. I understand why people get addicted to these things and their lives end up getting ruined because it is I mean, it's a deal.
Speaker 3: It's a bit of a deal.
Speaker 1: It's awesome that you go and do that too, Like you were obviously pivotal and influential on the field, first bout Hall of Famer and so you have influence beyond that. And it's really cool to hear that you go around and speak and and try to you know, advise and mentor and speak to kids because you're you know, you're Marshall Fulk, bro, you are Marshall Fulk.
Speaker 3: Got to use the platform for you know, others, just other than just making money. Yeah, you gotta make a difference to.
Speaker 1: In this world.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Question last one, hang on, hang on, right before he goes first ballot Hall of Famer, What was it like that knock on your door? However it happened. Were you expecting or in your head or you like, I am a first ballot Hall of Famer. So let's see how this shakes up.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna tell you the story, all right, It's just a true story. But this was before the knock. This is like you gather with your with your family and friends. They announced it, they brought you to the super Bowl and then you would you would go meet somewhere and they would do like a press conference wherever that wherever that was for the people that was that decided to come. And I was like, I was so sure, Like I was like, there's no way that I'm not getting in, no way, you know. That's all I kept thinking. And my my agent did a deal with Anheuser Bush being out. It was in Saint Louis at the time, the headquarters and at the butt Light Hotel when the butt Light when when when bud used to be when an bush was the when butt was the beer, but light was the beer. At the NFL, they had a hotel like the bottom floor. I mean, we packed it with two three hundred people that's there, you know, and we're watching and I'm and I'm standing and as they come on and they're getting ready to call the names the first time ever, I thought, what if they don't call my name. I'm sitting there, like, what if they don't call my name?
Speaker 1: Like we just got all these people here at the people here.
Speaker 3: I mean, and when I think back, I'm like, man, that's like somebody saying no running away at the altar.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm like I'm thinking to myself, oh my god, what if they don't call my name.
Speaker 2: You start living tactically like on all the exits, like where's the easiest way out of here if they don't call my name?
Speaker 3: Yeah, try to figure out yeah. And then man, like three names in they said my name, I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, I got in your head too much. Ooh man.
Speaker 3: And from there, from there, literally they wherever you're at because you tell you got to tell them where you're gonna be. Car pulled up, takes me to the place, take me to the place where they're doing the interview, and on the ride, like your football life is literally playing in your head from your literally coach, your high school coach. Things that people taught you, things like how many people had been on this journey with you to end up, you know, in this place, like like hold on wait, like there's at the time, like there's only two hundred and like six, like two hundred and seventy five of these got and I'm one of them, Like are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Man, like that that like it starts to dawn on you regardless of how confident you are, you look at it, like damn right, that's you know that, that's that's pretty damn neat.
Speaker 1: It's forever, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, and that's it, like in reality, that's all we want to do is be remembered, like right and now to know that, now, to know forever generations can go identify with me as their relative or you know like like that's and there's a place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ohio, man, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: It's all good fellowship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all good man.
Speaker 2: Sometimes appreciate you making the time.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: This is right on.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That was awesome. Any at