Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Happy New Year. You can say it today and then that's it. Is it Happy new Year? Happy New Years? Because I thought it was singular? Todd.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, being the highly educated Danett, I would go with happy New Year.
Speaker 3: I'm not one hundred percent sure, but happy new Year.
Speaker 4: It's the new year years.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Okay, where do we get Happy New Years?
Speaker 3: Because like New.
Speaker 6: Year's Eve, so I guess sometimes the apostrophe s gets attached further than it should Seaton.
Speaker 5: I think Todd just nailed it.
Speaker 7: I think people say happy New Years because it's a New Year's eve, okay, but it's really happy New Year, okay, because it's a new year one of them.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul double checking, Yeah, new Year singular New Year's plural is incorrect, grammar wise new Year.
Speaker 2: The Cleveland Browns have a new head coach, Segue Kevin Stefanski fired earlier this morning. Also, the Atlanta Falcons need a new head coach and a general manager, and Albert Brier, the Monday morning quarterback, will stop by in about twenty minutes. Any other coaches that could be hanging in the balance weather Futures eight seven seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock you get to watch this show. Download the app if you haven't done so. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Pole question from hour one, we'll give you the final results, and we'll have a new one in an hour two. Steve Young a little later on, Gary Danielson, great college football analyst, will join us as well. The seating is set interesting with the matchups here, and you could see where three or four teams are going to win.
Speaker 5: On the road.
Speaker 2: The Rams they are favored by nine and a half in Carolina, Packers are favored at the Bears by one and a half. The Bills on the road favored by one and a half against the Jags, the Texans favored by three and a half against the Steelers, the Niners on the road getting points three and a half, Chargers on the road against the Patriots getting three and a half as well. And for entertainment purposes only, in case you're following the college football playoffs, Miami is a three and a half point favored against Old miss and Indiana a four point favorite against Oregon. By the way, the new Michigan head coach Kyle Whittingham, he'll join us on the program tomorrow, talk about that surprise move out of nowhere in Michigan. They salvage this. I didn't think they were going to. I thought they were going to stay with an interim head coach, get through the mess that they have in the athletic department, and then you're gonna have a lot of people interested in that job. But they they got lucky because Kyle Winningham is a as respected as any coach in America.
Speaker 5: He will join us coming up.
Speaker 2: We'll ask him how good he is at cleaning up messes here because he's got a couple of spills Aisle five, Aisle two. But we'll talk to him on the program tomorrow. All right, Seaton Poll question results from our one and then what are we going with our two?
Speaker 7: Most surprising playoff missed from the AFC Your options Bengals, Chiefs Cults Ravens. Right now, the Chiefs have fifty four percent of that vote, followed by the Ravens. Okay, Bengals it's kind of sad that nobody is surprised that they didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: But you know what, Joe Burrow fought to get back and they should have been a playoff team when he got back. They had time to be a playoff team because nobody in the AFC North is good. Pittsburgh just survived, and that's where you look at it and you go, you guys had a chance here and then losing to Cleveland yesterday in dramatic fashion in Cincinnati against Cleveland, and Joe Burrow played pretty well, but you know, once again, there's no defense there. If you're letting Shador Sanders go down the field with a minute to go and get in field goal range, that's a bad defense, bad defense. And I wonder if Trey Hendrick's and will even be there next year. You know, I saw where in once again, this is just people throwing things against the wall. Maybe Max Crosby in Cincinnati, but I'm Max Crosby and I'm not happy with the Raiders. I don't know how happy I'm going to be in Cincinnati. But yeah, you start to look at these it's easy to look at the teams advancing. Sometimes you got to look at the teams that didn't advance like Detroit is really interesting from this perspective Dan Campbell's future next season, How important will that season be for his future? Because they're regressing a little bit here. The Browns are going to get a new head coach. What are they going to do in the draft? You're going to draft a quarterback? You know, the Colt situation. They're having their coach, their coaching staff is coming back. Riley Leonard looked pretty good. I mean he looked athletic. I don't know how good did my voice.
Speaker 9: Go up with that?
Speaker 8: He looked pretty good?
Speaker 2: Hang, yeah, yeah, carried with the forty four year old. Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say looked athletic. But then you know Philip Rivers and then you bring in Riley Leonard, who he did okay, you know against a really good defense.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mortvian, you sounded like with somebody asking, oh, how'd that girl look? He's nice personality.
Speaker 2: We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Whole question for hour two is going to be what, By the way, I went to see the movie Marty Supreme with Timothy Challow. May I can do a review, maybe a little later.
Speaker 5: On this album.
Speaker 2: Anybody else see Marty Supreme? Oh back Rod Todd Todd out to see a movie?
Speaker 5: Is there nudity in it?
Speaker 4: I almost went to see The house Man.
Speaker 3: That's what my wife thought I was gonna pick, but I said.
Speaker 6: We'll go see the Ping Pong movie. Went with Shalam and, Uh, did you want to say what I thought of it?
Speaker 5: No? No, no, I just asked you that you you said you went.
Speaker 6: Yes, And we almost went to see song Sung Blues that was a possibility, but we ended up going with Shallo May.
Speaker 2: I heard the song Sung Blue is very good with Hugh Jackman and uh, what's.
Speaker 5: Your name in the rom com Kate Hudson, Yeah, Kate Hutson.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't about it was about a cover for Neil Diamond, Wasn't Some people think it was.
Speaker 3: About like Neil Diamond in his life.
Speaker 6: That's more like the jazz singers, And this was just about a cover band for Neil Diamond.
Speaker 2: The husband and wife, yes, and then they go to Vegas and they have their their Neil Diamond cover band a seat and you saw Timothy Challowy and uh, Marty Supreme.
Speaker 5: That did okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we'll give you our opinions our reviews coming up a little bit later on.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, I did see go I did go see The Housemaid? How was that suspenseful?
Speaker 5: Okay? What is it about?
Speaker 10: So it's about a maid that moves in to someone's house all other name and the wife played by Amanda Sigfried is crazy. And then there's a twist that threw me for a loop. My wife had read the book. Marvin, we have to go see this movie.
Speaker 9: You want to see it?
Speaker 10: And I say sure, And the twist threw me for a loop. It's really good, okay. I liked it all right.
Speaker 2: And your wife's voice is not that deep in my story, I know, just like that whenever I hear your wife talking when I when I saw at the Christmas party. You know, she's a sweet person and I always thinking of your deep voice, like she's a smoker.
Speaker 5: Yes, Todd, twist my arm.
Speaker 3: To see Sidney Sweeney on the screen for a couple of hours. It's got to be a tough decision to make.
Speaker 5: But you didn't go and see it.
Speaker 6: It didn't because I thought my wife is playing a little trick on you to test me.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, no, we don't have to see Sidney Sweeney. We'll go see Shallow May play Ping.
Speaker 2: Pong, Timothy Chala May. Yeah, all right, let's see. I got a couple other things. You're Super Bowl odds. It's just sent over DraftKings, Seahawks, then the Rams, third favorite Broncos. Then the Eagles, Eagles and Patriots are tied, followed by the Bills, the Jags, the Tes, the Packers, Wow, Bears, Niners, Chargers, Steelers, then the Panthers. So Seahawks plus three to fifty, Rams plus four twenty five, then the Broncos six fifty, the Eagles and Patriots plus nine to fifty, then the Bills plus one thousand. Once again, the Jaguars not getting any recognition. But you know what, that's good. It's okay. You can keep proving us wrong. You did a great job this season. Wonderful season. Certainly, Trevor Lawrence look like he's supposed to a number one pick overall, a franchise quarterback. But if I said Seahawks are the Rams, see it comes down to this. I trust Matthew Stafford, that's it. I trust Sean McVay. Mike McDonald did a great job just ask the Baltimore Ravens. They lost their defensive coordinator and he did an unbelievable job with Seattle. But I you know, it gets to these moments here, like can I trust bow Nicks, I know the Eagles, like Jalen Hurts? I can trust in a big game. He's proven that Drake May. He's gonna have to show big game. I can win the Bills. Josh Allen, you know how much trust do you have in Let's just go down the list of these quarterbacks. Sam Darnold, No, Matthew Stafford, yes, Bo Nicks, no, Jalen Hurts, Yes, Drake May not yet Josh Allen, I'm gonna say yes, no, No. I think he plays well. I don't think his team always plays well. I think he I have trust in him. Trevor Lawrence trust, c J. Stroud, trust, Caleb Williams, Rock Party, Justin Herbert, Aaron Rodgers, Bryce Young. Those are your postseason quarterbacks, guess, Marvin.
Speaker 10: Storyline wise, when we get the San Francisco, what would be the dream scenario as far as QB matchup?
Speaker 2: I guess Sam Donald and the Seahawks and the Super Bowl would be pretty fascinating Well, for me, I'm just saying, with everything that's happened with Sam Darnold and if he's in the Super Bowl Stafford again, people aren't going to want to see the Eagles, Patriots, Bills. It'd be the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 5: Who would you put in there? How about Bills? Ram?
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm gonna go off the board and it's very unlikely, but I would like to see Green Bay Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl because two underdogs and put at the bed for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: M unlikely. Oh, it is unlikely. Okay? Is there a dream match up here?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: If I'm programming this? All right, NBC's got Super Bowl, so we're programming this. The Bills have to be a.
Speaker 9: Have to be.
Speaker 5: Is there a better story Rams Bills? Maybe a walk off with Stafford?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he he was the only reason why I didn't pick them to go to the Super Bowl. I thought he can't stay healthy. Now he's going to be the MVP, followed by Drey your title ODGS for college football, it's Miami second, followed by Oregon and then Ole Miss so Indiana plus one thirty. Then it's Miami three. Ten Oregon three twenty and then Old Miss plus six hundred James in Virginia, James, Happy New.
Speaker 11: Year, Thanks, oh thank you for taking my call. Brother. Happy Monday, DP, Dannette, Salute the Commanders, Man, big down over the town every time, Man, and happy New Year to you guys. Wow, as a football fan, how could you not be happy with what we have in store?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 11: The final four in the college football playoffs? Man, I called in way back when Old Miss b lsu Askay Shambles's this guy is amazing. Just seen him for the first time, had no idea about a story, did not think they were going to make the run right now in the playoffs, but one game away from the national championship. That is amazing to me. And then in the NFL, Wow, I did not. I ain't been a team with seven losses would make it. And outside of the NFC South and the AFC North, no other team has six or more more than six losses. It's gonna be a great playoff. I think your dream scenario would be Bills Bears, and I think the Bills have the most pressure on them. That game this weekend against Jacksonville, to me, is the game of the weekend. I think you could say Niners Eagles could be great, but man, the Bills each week? Did they stay in it? That pressure is just gonna mountain now. But I like to see what happens. Man, salute the commanders. Man went off on a W. Man went off on the W. You guys have a great day. Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: All right, love the energy there. It's a gap year for you, all right. You know you'll get them next year. Gus in La Hi, Gus, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 9: Good more than mister Patrick. I hope you're in the boys had a great break. Larry David says, I'm only allowed to have three days to wish you happy New Year, so I just wish you boys have a great year. What a tale of two weeks. If this phone call took place a week ago.
Speaker 12: I was calling in the scorch earth and say everybody's got to go, Tomlin's got to go, everybody and coaching Steff's gotta go there bye. And then this morning I'm like, you know, I mean he can hang around for a.
Speaker 9: Few more weeks. You know, we'll see what happened. Yeah, But I mean, truly, I like I don't. I don't know anymore.
Speaker 12: Like it's it's I don't know which Steeler team's gonna show up. I mean, this team's been blown out this year, they've shown up this year. I don't get it. It is the most unpredictable year and steal at football. I mean, I'm gonna ride it out until the wheels fall off.
Speaker 9: But I don't know. I think this may be Tom was last year. You know, we want to game the rap.
Speaker 2: We have problems with the phones today. It feels like it that does Chris and Buddha. That might be just those guys, and those guys are in California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe cha.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you get some of your best people on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to say, hey, we're gonna roll with Tomlin and the Steelers until well, they lose this next game where they're an underdog at home against the Texans. That's not gonna go over a while, all right. Albert Breer, Monday Morning Quarterback, will join us. Get his thoughts on what the Browns did firing Kevin Stefanski, the Falcons moving on from a coach and general manager, and who's next. Take a break back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right, you can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 13: All you gotta do search Our Couple FSR on YouTube. Again, YouTube search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up, we will give you our best and worst of the weekend and a movie review of Marty Supreme with Timothy shallow May. You know, I'm watching the movie and all of a sudden, I go, that's George Gervin. So Ice Gervin is in the movie. I think Tracy McGrady might be in the movie.
Speaker 3: It was like one of the Globe trotters.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're watching you, You're going, that's George Gervin. And I know Timothy Shallow May is a big NBA fan I don't know if he said to the Saftie brothers, Hey, let's put in George Gervin.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I saw an interview while we were on break because I don't know if you've caught this, but he's been doing interview with Timothy Shallo May.
Speaker 5: But they I forget who's talk about.
Speaker 7: I forget exactly what the question was, but it was basically along the lines of, like, what's the best part of like your life right now? Are being famous or whatever? And he's like, oh, access to the Knicks. Greatest thing that's ever happened to me is access to I get Nick tickets whenever I want, I could sit, when I can talk to whoever I wanted. Access to the Knicks is by far the best thing that's happened to me.
Speaker 2: But imagine you're a kid growing up in New York City. You're a diehard Knicks fan. Next thing you know, your front row Timothy Chela May twenty minutes from now will give you our movie review.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom Kemba Walker was with TMAC playing Harlem Glovester.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh, that's fun little cameo action there. Albert Brier, the Monday Morning Quarterback Senior NFL reporter, We got hat Kevin Stefanski fired an hour ago?
Speaker 5: Why was he fired?
Speaker 14: You know, I think it's just like a water under the bridge type thing. Dan, They've been through a lot together over the last six years. And yeah, this goes back, of course to Deshaun Watson tray. They've done a lot of good things there. They made the playoffs in twenty they made the playoffs in twenty three, you know, and they had a really good roster he and he and Andrew Berry that they they inherited. Some of those guys that they inherited are still there, Miles Garrett, Denzel Ward, Joel Atonio.
Speaker 4: Wyatt tell like top shelf guys, you know.
Speaker 14: And you know, I just think like the inability to to to really to take the next step was part of it, right, and how that all tied to a single move. I mean, you think about the damage done by the Deshaun Watson trade, right. It kicks your kicks out, your ability to draft because you lose three first round picks, It kills your salary cap, and it keeps you from doing anything else, at least for a short period of time to fix the quarterback position. And so I think there's an acknowledgment in the building that everybody had their hands tied behind their backs because of the trade, and everybody's got blood on their hands because of it. I just think because of all that history that they had had been through and that that Kevin had been through with the players, you know, it seems to me like Jimmy just made this decision. It's just tough to move forward with the status quo. And so I will say this, it's going to be tough to find a better one than Kevin Stefanski. And I think everybody's gonna find out over the next two or three days how much the rest of the league thanks to Stefanski with the amount of interest he's going to get from other teams.
Speaker 2: Is there a chance Deshaun Watson's the starting quarterback for the Browns next year?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's impossible. It's impossible to know for sure until we know who the coach is.
Speaker 5: Right, But he's healthy and under contract.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the thing.
Speaker 14: Like, so you've already so we already know that they're going to pay to Shaun Watson forty six million dollars for next year, right if they cut him somebody would sign him for the minimum, and so it would be forty five.
Speaker 4: It'd be like forty five million dollars.
Speaker 14: You know, So you're already sinking that into it. You've already sunk three first round picks into him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 14: I I think the worst thing for the Browns at this point would be feeling like all right, like you know, we're gonna move on, and then having him go have great success somewhere else. So I could certainly see the logic and like saying, like, you know, we're paying them anyway, we might as well bring him back.
Speaker 4: Here's the one caveat to that.
Speaker 14: The one caveat to that for me would be if you are going to go all in on a young quarterback, right, and if there's somebody and I can't remember where they're pick is, you have it in front of you, Dan, it's I think there's four or five somewhere in there, and right, they're not five, the Giants are five, but there's somewhere in there six, six, Okay.
Speaker 4: So like let's say they decide.
Speaker 14: We're going to go all in them for Nato Mendoza or Dante more and somehow they get in position to draft one of them, then I can see where it's like, Okay, it's just not worth it having that around, you know what I mean, like having kind of the ghost of quarterbacks past here in the building, you know, and you want to go with a clean slate for your young quarterback. But if the plan is to go and bring in you know, Kirk Cousins to compete with Shador Sanders and Dylan Gabriel and next year, if it's something like that, then I don't I'm not sure I see the harm in taking one more swing at it with Deshaun Watson just to make sure you got that wrong.
Speaker 4: Even as every indication is that you have gotten wrong.
Speaker 14: And my understanding is just in the in the in the in the near term, like he's actually been pretty good, you know, in the.
Speaker 4: Building and and and and and and.
Speaker 14: Throw his rehab over the course of this season, So that would be the logic and taking a swing at it, and that you've already sunk so much into it, you're already paying him for next year, so why not give it a run again? To me, like the one or the one, the one, the one caveat there would be if you've got a young quarterback that you want to go all in on. You might want to take him out of the equation just to give the new guy a clean environment.
Speaker 5: Better opening. Atlanta or Cleveland.
Speaker 4: You know, it depends on what you think of Michael Pennix, you know what I mean?
Speaker 14: Like I I you know, you you would think that whoever's coming in there is going to have at least a year, maybe two years with Pennix.
Speaker 4: They both have pretty solid young cores. I think, you know, you look at Atlanta.
Speaker 14: A good veteran offensive line, one of the best players in all football in any position in b John Robinson. I don't know if Kyle Pitts will be there, but it looks like he turned a corner. You've got some young pieces on defense that you like that you might like, you know, and the young pass rushers, you know, Walker and Pierce that you drafted in the first round last year.
Speaker 4: But you don't have a first round pick, And.
Speaker 14: I think I probably maybe lean Cleveland because you get to do your thing at quarterback, right so you get to make your decision at quarterback. You've got that great young draft class, and all those guys are going to be on rookie contracts for the next few years, and Mason Graham and Carson Swessinger and Harold Finn and the two running backs Judkins and Samson, and.
Speaker 4: You have two first round picks.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 14: I mean, so you've got the ability to kind of build there with the core. You have a couple of older pieces in Warden Garrett. I might lean Cleveland, but it's close. There's there that that's not a bear cupboard in either place.
Speaker 2: Albert Brier, the Monday Morning quarterback, he's senior NFL reporter.
Speaker 5: What should Vegas do?
Speaker 14: Well, I think, you know, I'd be surprised if Pete Carroll made it the day. You know, I think Vegas needs to figure out how they're going to be set up going forward. You know, I think Tom Brady's got to learn how to run a football team. And it sounds weird coming from.
Speaker 4: Me, you know what I mean. It's the greatest player of all time.
Speaker 14: So I don't want to sound like like I don't want to sound like an idiot saying that, but I do think that there's parts of.
Speaker 4: It that you know, people who work there, so.
Speaker 5: There's a difference between running and all different.
Speaker 14: Yeah, John Elway, I get just tell you this John Elway when he got back to Denver.
Speaker 4: In twenty and eleven.
Speaker 14: He eventually became kind of difficult to work for, But at the beginning, like they were a very real acknowledgment on John's part of of what he didn't know, you know, like and he really rolled his sleeves up and learned how to how to scout and how to evaluate and like that. You know, that isn't as simple as like, yeah, well, I you know, I played in the league for a couple of decades, so I have an idea of.
Speaker 4: What I'm looking at.
Speaker 14: Of course you do, but it's not the same things as building a team and managing a football operation, you know, so you know it's going going forward. What's you know, what's his role in all of that is, is he committed to learning to run the show Because a lot of people there refer to him as as the boss, you know, whether you know he's there day to day or not, and he's not their day to day. A lot of people there look at him as the boss of the football operation. So there's that piece of it. You know, how does Alex Guerrero fit into that. There's a bunch of people in that building who report Alex Guerrero. How does you know John Spytech, the general manager, I you know, I expect he'll be back, you know, what's his role in picking the coach? And and then how does the coach fit into the hosaic of all of that? You know, I think like a huge part of the issue this year was they kind of pieced everything together right, like so it was like, all right, like, let's put together an all star staff, Like we love Packgram as the DC.
Speaker 4: He's going to work with Pete Carroll.
Speaker 14: Who, by the way, is run a completely different defensive system. And now like let's go get Chip Kelly out of Ohio state for six million dollars per year and let's show our might and we can go and get these sorts of guys.
Speaker 4: Now it's a new day for the Raiders. Well, how did all those pieces fit together?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 14: I think that's the biggest piece of this is like, so now with Tom Brady, you know, you know, ostensibly like the guy who is in charge, how what does that look like going forward?
Speaker 4: And how do all those pieces fit together?
Speaker 14: To me, that's the biggest piece of what I think will be a coaching search coming up here. In the next few days and weeks is like, how does the coach fit into what you've built? Otherwise, are you reconfiguring anything any of what you've.
Speaker 4: Already got there?
Speaker 14: And there are big picture questions that the Raiders need to answer and obviously a very very big decision coming in April when it comes to what to.
Speaker 2: Do with the first overall pick Tom Brady a better broadcaster or owner broadcaster?
Speaker 4: Now, i'd say, I mean, we'll see as ownership.
Speaker 14: I mean, I would say, there are there are so many people that have been so intelligent that have been humbled moving into ownership roles. You know, you know, I always get that question, like how can this guy who built this empire in business? And I know what he's doing in football. I'm sure you have too, right, Like I get that question. It's not the same thing.
Speaker 2: It's like the Mets owner. He just thinks I can buy I buy everything right. In the NFL, you can't buy everything right.
Speaker 14: And and a lot of them get humbled. I mean, every one of them comes in and we're going to be the Microsoft in football, you know what I mean, Like, and we're going to reinvent everything. And that's why you see so many of these owners like stock up on analytics when they first, you know, get in the role. It's like, oh, all of these idiots like are hiring gym teachers and we're going to do it a different way. Well, like there's an art to how this whole thing works and how you put the whole thing together, and it's not as easy. It's just saying I'm gonna throw money at the problem and I'm going to apply the lessons I learned in.
Speaker 4: My other business. This is a unique business, you know.
Speaker 14: So like I do think like Tom's got some some I think he's he's he's got some He's got a lot to learn when it comes to to being in that role top you know, an organization, and you know Mark Davis has empowered him to be a big voice in that organization. He's gotta he's got to find his voice. I actually think he's gotten really good at broadcasting too. Dan, Like I I was skeptical at first, Like I thought is as great as he is, Like you know, he I think at the beginning was like a little and I'm not you know, I guess we you know, if you I don't know, if you want the media conversation here. But he's a little he could be a little stiff that first year, and I think he's really kind of found his way with that, you know, like I think he's gotten really really good at calling games.
Speaker 2: I don't even notice it anymore, Like I don't really care who's doing a game, you know, I used to, you know, where it was mad and doing it. It just feels like there's, you know, this plethora of football that they're just a lot of voices that are there. Now there's some that do it better than others. But I'm not watching. I couldn't tell you what game Tom did this weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, look, that's the thing for me too.
Speaker 14: It's like I'll get a better idea of the whole thing when we get to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: I'm following so much.
Speaker 14: I mean, I honestly like I have a better idea of how you know, herb Street and Collinsworth an Aikman call a game just because they're standalone games. Like there's just I'm paying attention to too much, like in those one o'clock at four o'clock windows on Sunday, So it's hard for me to really dive in.
Speaker 4: But what I have seen a Brady. It does seem like he's gotten really good.
Speaker 14: And I I, you know, I remember hearing this a couple of years ago that he was studying Johnny Miller and trying to learn how to be critical, and I thought that was really interesting. You know, So I do think he's taking the job seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, I talked to somebody who's friends with him, and he even said, hey, would you talk to Tom? I said, Tom doesn't need my input, and then he said, well, what would you tell him? I would say, don't try to be too structural, like like, this is fun, have fun, you know, pick your spots, you know, say what you need to say, give us insight, tell us things that we don't know. We don't a lot of times I found out that these guys who played don't know that we don't know something, and they'll be like, oh you know this, Oh you know what watch that.
Speaker 5: I would never think that.
Speaker 2: And I think the more that Tom doesn't sound try to sound like an analyst, the better that he'll be like you know, Collinsworth and Herb Street, Aikman, Tony, you know, they kind of go, you know what, I'm just going to be myself, and that's really hard to do. They tell people in this business, just be yourself. Yeah, I've been working for forty years trying to figure out who I am, So I can't expect Tom to be himself. He may not know who he is as a person in the spotlight.
Speaker 14: I'm with you because I remember when I started doing TV, you know, twenty years ago. I remember somebody telling me you want to be almost like one and a half of yourself, and so then there's a tendency to get out there and be mister announcer guy with everything and try to enunciate everything correctly and all that different stuff. And you know, I sort of like I tell younger people now who ask me, I'm like, there'll be a point when you feel like mister announcer guy, and then there'll be a point when you're talking to a camera and you.
Speaker 4: Start to feel like yourself.
Speaker 14: And I feel like that's when you're starting to get it right, Like when you're doing both when it's like, yeah, I'm not talking like i'd normally be talking to my friends, but I do sound like myself.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: In my job, part of my job is to make you forget that you're on tea or on radio, which you're pretty good. So we just have a conversation like that. That's the goal each time, all right, before I let you go other possible openings.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so, you know, I think the Dolphins want to move forward with Mike McDaniel. I know, their meeting and recapping the season here today. I don't anticipate anything today, but in the next couple of days, you know, I think they'll make that decision.
Speaker 4: And you know, they're going to have a little bit.
Speaker 14: Of a different structure of Brandon Shore has been elevated there. He's you know, he's reporting directly to ownership. That's their cap guy. So they're gonna have like sort of a three headed monster, or they're gonna hire the new GM will be a scouting.
Speaker 5: Type and they'll move on from TUA in Miami.
Speaker 4: I think that's that's likely. Yeah, I think that's likely.
Speaker 14: I do think McDaniel's fate could be tied and at least in some way to maybe what's available out there. You know, does Stefanski is now available? Does John Harbaugh become available? So that's something and I'm just kind of like looking through some my notes.
Speaker 5: Just John Harball become available, I.
Speaker 14: Think that's a little bit of a coin flip right now.
Speaker 4: You know, I think you have those discussions.
Speaker 14: I wouldn't move on from him if I were the Ravens, but I would say this. I had people there tell me that they believe this is the best roster they'd ever had going into the season, that level of expectation with the team. You've got a looming contract negotiation with Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 4: There's just a.
Speaker 14: Lot to sort through and digging out from underneath the season there, And you know, I think that that provokes those big picture questions. So I wouldn't say I'm one hundred percent one way or the other on the Ravens. The Cardinals, I'd expect they're going to hang on to their general manager, Monty Ausin for it. They really like Jonathan Gannon, their head coach. Obviously, they end the season the way they've ended, which I don't think they've won a game since September October.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think and they move on from Kyler Murray as well.
Speaker 14: I think, well, I think with Gannon, the thing is like I think it may come down to and Gannon's are really loyal guy. I wonder if they ask him to make changes on his coaching staff and that leads to something. You know, we've seen that before, so you know, does does does does he go down with the ship? I think that that's a fair question. Kyler Murray's future is certainly tied to all of that.
Speaker 2: You know as well, and about real quick before I before I have to go more likely to move on from their team Harball and Baltimore or Tomlin in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 14: Right now because the Steelers are in I would say Harbaugh in Baltimore.
Speaker 5: But if they lose that game at home, it's weird they make that Ki.
Speaker 14: They made the thing about here's the thing about the Steelers though, Dan.
Speaker 4: The Steelers have TJ.
Speaker 14: Watt, Cam Hayward, Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: All these guys are older players, right.
Speaker 14: And so a pretty pretty substantial reset is coming. That's when that conversation happens, Right, Like, dude, does Mike Tomlin want.
Speaker 4: To go through a two or a three or four rebuild?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 14: Do the Stealer see him as the voice they want in there leading that rebuild? If you're tom when do you look at it and say what I do. Do I want to do that or do I want to take a year in TV and then maybe go to a situation in twenty seven that's a little bit more ready made because their season is still going on. I don't think they fully confronted those questions, you know, I think both are you know I again like I those are two more where I just I think, you know, Baltimore and Pittsburgh are both a little bit up in the air.
Speaker 4: But that's what you get when.
Speaker 14: Guys have been in those positions for as long as John and Mike have been.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Bud. I appreciate Albert.
Speaker 2: That's Albert Breer. Monday Morning quarterback Matt Ryan. It looks like there's a chance that he is going to join the Falcons. I believe Jay Glazer from Fox Sports is reporting this. This has been in the works here for a little while. Adam Schefter reporting Atlanta expected to hire Matt Ryan as the new president of football operations.
Speaker 5: Well take a break. We will give you our best.
Speaker 2: And worst of the weekend and a movie review of Marty Supreme with Timothy Shallma.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Best and worst of the weekend, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 3: Best.
Speaker 6: The Seahawks defense Saturday night in Santa Clara, allowing just one hundred and seventy three total yards, which is the Niners fewest in a regular season game since Kyle Shanahan took over his head coach in twenty seventeen. Also three points, they're fewest since they scored that a mountain Shanahan's.
Speaker 3: Coaching debut with the Niners.
Speaker 6: Seattle kept them to just nine first downs, none in the first quarter, but that was pretty presive.
Speaker 3: Worst.
Speaker 6: I know that QB got banged up Ty Simpsons a little bit, but Alabama losing thirty eight to three.
Speaker 2: Yikes, Saint No Connor. Best and worst. I'm gonna go two bests. My best from last night. Actually both of them are from the same game. Now I think about it, Mike Tico, I thought had a great game last night. He did really well, and he matched that. There are only a few times where I think that you could say a broadcaster helped make the game better. I feel like Mike Erico really did that.
Speaker 5: Yes, he did.
Speaker 2: He and Chris were kind of trying to make that an interesting game for three quarters and then all of a sudden and Mike match the moment there at the very end with do we have his call of the field goal?
Speaker 5: Marvin or was that on our play.
Speaker 3: Of the day.
Speaker 10: That's our play of the day. And also that was the Pittsburgh Steelers' home call.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, all right, and your other besters, see, oh.
Speaker 7: My other bester was Mike Tomlin and Aaron Rodgers. That was kind of awesome. I really feel like they, like you said, they both sort of needed that win. Yeah, maybe they both overperformed a little bit there too, but that felt good to see.
Speaker 2: If Matt Ryan is going to go to the Falcons and be their president and football operations, there's a chair open on the NFL today on CBS. You could have Bill Kauer and Mike Tomlin on there, Nate burleson.
Speaker 5: Aaron Rodgers in that slot too. I mean, next year, Marvin beston works to the weekend, all.
Speaker 10: Right, best of the weekend. Former Bears legend Mitch Trubisky, who's now the Bills starting quarterback or backup quarterback twenty two to twenty nine, two hundred and fifty nine yards, four touchdowns. Worst of the weekend. We touched on this earlier. The Jets just finished out their season horrendous, thirty five to eight. Like you said, first team in NFL history to not have an interception during the season, not even like a.
Speaker 5: Tip over five hundred pounds, no rcis not even.
Speaker 2: That I know receiver caused interception, all right, Paul beston worse.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go back a few days. Ole miss quarterback Trinidad chambliss Man. He was a magician and saved that game against the Georgia Bulldogs. And the other best of the weekend. Just last night, a really good game, the Division III National title game. The heavyweight North Central out of Naperville, Illinois lost. Believe or not too uw River Falls, Wisconsin River Falls. They got further than ever the their coach have been there a long time. He got them their first ever national title.
Speaker 2: All right, Marty Supreme. I went to see it, Todd went to see it. Seaton went to see it, not at the same time. And it is a ping pong movie. It is a sports movie, I guess. And Timothy Shallomy is the star of that, Todd give your review.
Speaker 6: I thought it was compelling and kept my interest, but I found it at times a bit too odd, as if the producer and directors were trying too hard to stand out among other films to hope to win awards of some sort. That's just how I experience it, and it's been a lot of ping pong to watch Seaton.
Speaker 7: I thought it was awesome, awesome, one of the most unique movies I've ever seen, borderline brilliant. Yes, I think it takes Timothy shallow May to a whole other level of actor.
Speaker 2: There is no doubt about his ability. No doubt because he's not a good guy in this movie. There aren't too many good guys in this movie. But it's shot in a way one of the Saftie brothers. Just the way it looks is different. I thought they could have cut out twenty minutes and I wouldn't have missed it. But there are some pretty crazy moments, fun moments. It almost felt like the Cohen Brothers. If you're you know, fans of the Cohen Brothers, the Saffee Brothers feel like they're the modern day incarnation of them.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Seen, it feels like if you took Uncut Gems and mashed it with Forrest Gump.
Speaker 2: This is the movie that would come out all.
Speaker 7: Right, like it never from the moment like in Uncut Gems. It's constant tension. It never takes its foot off the gas. From the beginning scene to the very end, there's never any moments that are down or not full of tension. And somehow this dude lives a life that you're like, what the heck?
Speaker 5: And it's based on a true story.
Speaker 2: Loosely based on a true story, but it is every bit of two and a half hours. But you know it'll keep your attention. There are times where you go, I don't know what that scene had to do with anything, but I thought, you know, he'll be nominated for an Academy Award.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's any question about that.
Speaker 2: And maybe he's gonna single handedly bring ping pong back, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: Like Rounders with poker?
Speaker 5: Maybe is this the greatest ping king pen?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 5: You know bowling?
Speaker 8: Can you guys say this is the greatest ping pong movie of all time?
Speaker 5: Forrest Gump does play ping pong.
Speaker 8: I found five other ping pong movies, Balls of Fury, Ping Pong, Summer, Top Spin, and King of Ping Pong, and as one, I found seven different ping pong related movies.
Speaker 2: I would like to see Forrest Gump against Timothy Schalome Marty Supreme, because I would take Forrest Gump, but the actual the guy that he competes with, Japanese player is actually, I believe, a world class ping pong player in real life. So I would say that the collective here says thumbs up for Marty Supreme. It was very good, very good. I thought he was great. I thought the movie was good. I don't know if there'll be a sequel. Marty's Supremer Final Hour. On the way Steve Young will stop by the great college football analyst Gary Danielson and more phone calls best and worst of the weekend Final Hour.
Speaker 5: Right after this