Speaker 1: We did it.
Speaker 2: We hit our forty million downloads, which is pretty awesome, amazing iHeart was, you know, it was obviously very amazingly supportive of us and kind of gives us a breakdown when we hit forty million, of kind of where the show's super popular and you know, people around the world listening to it.
Speaker 1: And there was one little.
Speaker 2: Note attached that I wanted to point out, okay, because I want to give a shout out to apparently the single listener, yeah, that we have in and I hope I'm saying it right Eritrea, Africa.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wow, where's a one listener there?
Speaker 4: One listener there?
Speaker 1: How do you still that? E R I t R E A.
Speaker 4: And so to our one listener.
Speaker 3: You are the most important.
Speaker 2: Lesson is so cool, and we are starting our campaign to try to get iHeart to send us to your home.
Speaker 3: We'd like to do a podcast in your living room.
Speaker 1: I would love to go. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yes. And the idea that there's one person listening there was so cool to me that I had to shout this person out. So, whoever you are, that is the coolest thing, because I remember, I think when we hit twenty million, we found out We also had one listener in a really small Alaskan town exactly, and one of the ideas that we threw around was just kind of go there growing up at this person's house, being Okay, we're going to do a podcast from your living So also shout out to the one person in the Alaskan town. But I had to shout out that one African listener.
Speaker 3: I really love that. Really, I think it's so great. You know, you could probably tell one other person nearby about the podcast, then they could start listening to it too, then you could have someone to talk to it about.
Speaker 2: Just see exactly one other person would be great.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so shout out thank you very much.
Speaker 3: We learned us. We learned we had forty million downloads while we were in Vegas for WrestleMania weekend, and I wanted to share a very funny story that happened while we So we were separated trying to get into WrestleMania. Trying to get into the stadium was a disaster, and we got dropped off so that we were in two separate cars, and so Jensen and I got dropped off on the opposite side of the arena from you guys, and we were trying to get to you, and it was the busiest time to be trying to find people because it was like thirty minutes before the program started, so we're not trying to get in.
Speaker 4: You and Jensen had the tickets, so we couldn't just meet.
Speaker 3: You at the exactly, and we were trying to get ticket Master. We were trying to send the tickets through the but it wasn't working inside the stadium. It was a complete nightmare. Anyway, long story short, we at one point were truly running. Jensen and I were running outside and as we ran by a small group of people, Jensen heard the woman say, oh my gosh, that that woman looks like Tapega, but I know she died Jenson, we both started laughing so hard. Also, it's one of our favorite things when there's mistaken identity stuff like I think I've told you that. One time on Halloween, a bunch of kids came up and then as they were running away, Jensen was coming back up from walking brunch and the one of the kids said, do you.
Speaker 1: Know who that was?
Speaker 5: That's Lorii Laughlin from.
Speaker 3: Full House, And Jensen thought that was hysterical. So we love mistaken identity mistaken death is Chef's kiss Kiss just I love it so that lady apparently doesn't listen. I was gonna say shout out to her too, but she apparently doesn't listen to Pod Meets World because then she'd know I'm not You're not.
Speaker 2: I mean, just for the record, I think we should put that out there now, you're not well. We did not look at maybe a little bit your soul, a little bit about that little you know.
Speaker 3: Will said, he was like, but are you sure you're not. I was like, let me google.
Speaker 2: It, because maybe we all are. Remember we talked about that, maybe this is just the similar relation that we're all in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were just forced to go back and watch our lives like Judging, Judging.
Speaker 2: Like Defending your Life, the greatest.
Speaker 1: Greatest movie ever.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: I'm Daniel Offishal, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfred Dell.
Speaker 3: Today we decided to bring you a bonus episode about one of the obscure b sides of Boy Meets World, something we get a good amount of emails about and we've mentioned in passing before, but it is a big deal for Boy Meets World. Completists, It's nineteen ninety four's whole new level of fun. The ABC Saturday Morning Cartoon preview show that we hosted, Now, this was an annual tradition for the network. It was the way they introduced kids to the newest additions to the Saturday Morning cartoon schedule, and they would have hosted interstitials to talk about the new programming that was about to debut, and at the same time they'd be able to promote their own ABC projects. This has been going on since nineteen sixty nine, if you could believe it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: The debut was the Super Saturday Cartoon Preview, hosted by the cast of The Ghost and Missus Muir and Jonathan Frid from Dark Shadows, but over the years some of the other hosts include the Brady Bunch Kids, Dick Clark, Roseanne bar Weird Al Hanging with Mister Cooper cast Tony Danza, and a puppet rock band called Captain Cool and The Kongs Nice.
Speaker 2: Their session album was Banging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure I would have gone with All K's for that one, is it too? That's Captain Cook and the Kong's All with you case interest interesting choice. Now, we did this in nineteen ninety four, after season one leading to season two? What do you guys remember about being asked to do this? Do you remember filming it?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Wow, you don't you think about this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I remember everything leading up to it because we had to shoot it on a weekend and.
Speaker 3: You're going to be out of town to give a flower to Maureene.
Speaker 1: No. I was in Tahoe with my friend Lennie and my other friend Sean. Yeah, and it was Lenny's mom drove me to the airport to fly out whatever that night, and I missed the flight, so we had to wake up the next morning and she drove me the next morning, so I flew. I had to be up at like three or four in the morning to make it to the airport to fly in for this, and then it was an awful day. Like Jeff McCracken was just maybe it was his first time directing us.
Speaker 3: I feel like, oh, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is when I met Jeff, because I don't think we had just started the second season. I don't think he had done an episode yet. I don't think did he do an episode the first season. I don't think we must have met him though, didn't we Yeah, but he was just like the tall guy around, you know, and this was him directing, and he just does a good job, Like it looks really good, and especially considering how much Lily has to do, it's incredible. But but I remember it being really painful and taking forever. And now I'm looking at it and went, oh, it's probably because they gave so many lines to Morgan. So you can't have a little kid do this much dialogue without take after take after, you know.
Speaker 3: And so I'm sure that was I mean, and when you see what the best takes were that they got.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she said belongs, Yes, got the That's basically what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean to have written like so Susan is sel Jensen wrote this like it yeah, anyway that I remember getting in so tired, being so miserable and all day being really stressed out. Yeah, yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Don't remember that at all, daniel I mean, Danielle, do you remember this.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember it vaguely. I remember that that similar to writer that it was a slow, a slow day. And you know what I remember I think most is I have I when I have memories about this kind of stuff. I have memories about the overall feeling, not so much the specific like the specifics, but the overall feeling I had was that I was excited to be doing it, and I wanted it to be one of those days where it was super fun and funny and we were laughing all the time, and it was and it wasn't. And so it was a little bit of like a oh, like I can even tell my I can even tell my energy in the program is like, just get through this. That's let's get through this and get this done.
Speaker 2: One of you might have mentioned this was this, did we shoot this on a weekday or a week.
Speaker 3: Is a weekend?
Speaker 1: In my mind is a weekend, But that actually doesn't make sense because if I was coming, it was either like an end of a hiatus and we started it on a Sunday.
Speaker 3: It was definitely before this, I think before the season started. I am fresh from Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, and they say, hey, we're joining Eric in.
Speaker 3: High school this year, so the season hasn't started yet, so this may have been, like, you know, if we started shooting end of July or August, this may have been like the first week back. And I think it was on a weekend because we were probably starting a regular.
Speaker 2: Work week, right, So this might have been one of the first times we were all together again after getting packed up for season one, correct, which is why.
Speaker 3: I think my memory of it is is like so excited about.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but I think this was Jeff McCracken's first thing. We'll have to ask him because I think I think this might have been the.
Speaker 3: First time we did ask Jeff, and we have some clips from Jeff, and I'll but I will give you a little spoiler alert. Okay, Jeff had zero memory of this. Me too, zero zero memory of this. So our special introduced three new shows, Free Willy, Reboot, and Bump in the Night. Did anyone remember there was a Free Willy cartoon?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: But I remember the other two, like I remember, yes, it was a big deal because it was computer graphics was the first one. And I remember these because they like we got to watch clips or whatever, and I remember being like, oh, these are cool.
Speaker 2: But Free Willie they did it in an animated show about a captured killer whale.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, yeah they did.
Speaker 1: How do you keep that going? But how do you keep that?
Speaker 2: How is that a series like, hey, wow, you're still in your cage. Sorry, let's we can't solve crimes. There's no mystery machine. It's just this poor whale that's.
Speaker 1: Looks it looks like probably going on story they're saving other animals. I'm sure that's what the pitch, and then coming.
Speaker 2: Back to just be back in its case of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he likes it.
Speaker 2: There he gets too far, he gets a shock, so he goes back in. Wasn't a free Willie. That wasn't Tillicum, that wasn't the one they used, wasn't the one that actually killed.
Speaker 1: But there was a new podcast out about the Free Willy Whale that's supposed to be amazing. Okay, I've heard this podcast. It was It just came out last year. It's supposed to be a big hit, and it tells the true story of the Free Willy Whale's supposed to be an incredible podcast.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now, we posted a YouTube link where you can see the special, as well as all the commercials and cartoons that followed us.
Speaker 6: Which I did not set aside enough time for no doubt, if I had known that I was going to get to watch all the ads, I would have like scheduled better and so unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I.
Speaker 1: It is such a bizarre experience. Yeah, I've only done acid once and it was not like a great time. It was just lasted too long. But I don't need to anymore. I could just watch this special. I know, my head melted, like when you came in and said this is not my hair for the show or whatever you said.
Speaker 2: My brain just ran where am I?
Speaker 1: And then like everybody's faces was like kind of like glitching because the quality of the video is so bad. So it's like I am on so many drugs right now. And then like the ads, I could not believe it. My head just exploded.
Speaker 3: Yet I know I thought the exact same thing. And I still am not sure whether we are ourselves.
Speaker 1: And Eric and Sean, but we're not we're doing the show. We're not doing the show right, were talking about.
Speaker 3: Talking about when our show starts, that there's a script for this, yes, and.
Speaker 2: Then we're watching ourselves because I'm on the phone with a girl who can now watch me TV, So weren't.
Speaker 1: Doing live hosting a live TV.
Speaker 3: Show as the characters. But it's so weird. I just really reconfirmed to me that I have very good reason to add to Penga to my real name. No, that's all I could think.
Speaker 1: See I am so do you think they just didn't hire a hair and megup person.
Speaker 3: They did Viral van Dyke, But that's right our hair.
Speaker 1: When coming in you probably and did not have time to your hair. They were she doesn't look like, what are we going to do?
Speaker 2: And you were just like, just got us.
Speaker 1: That is what it's like when it's not on the show.
Speaker 3: So weird, so crazy. Okay, So the it's in the show notes and we will also post it on our Instagram links so you can check out the special and follow along. I will be giving time codes for the segments that we are in now before we get into the credits. What did you guys think about whole new level of fun? The Boy Meets World Saturday Morning Cartoon Special.
Speaker 2: It's the best thing I've ever done in my career, bar none, easily the best thing I've ever done.
Speaker 1: It's what I want to be remembered by.
Speaker 2: And when I get my Hollywood Walk of Fame star, this is what I'm going to talk about. Kider.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I mean, like I said, it melted my brain. But Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel like, maybe this is kind of like watching this for a fan of Boy Meets World probably is the closest like somebody could get to like what it felt to be us sometimes, Like we did have this weird sense of like, wait, we're we have to act in the show, but we also have to do these side things. We have to be self referential, like it is a trip. Like it was weird as a kid to not know like, well, that's the character is my girlfriend or my best friend and we're not really friends in real life. You know, there's like layers to the experience, and I feel like maybe that's a positive way that somebody could look at this. It's like this is kind of what it felt like for us sometimes, like the way you feel when you're watching and you're like, wait, who's Sean? Where does it end? What's scripted? When's it not scripted?
Speaker 2: Our lives show within a show, So it was like we're all actually our characters, but this is what we do when we're not you.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was, but it's also so weird to be going back to second season of Us, like yeah, yes, because Lily comes from upstairs.
Speaker 2: It comes from upstairs still, and Eric still comes from the kitchen. You're still playing basketball and coming from the fake it's you know what.
Speaker 3: It made me feel though, and I kind of remember feeling it back in the day, and we've we've had this discussion about how we all feel when like this was us having to shill for the network, and the feeling that we had on set was like, this is annoying that we have to do this. It's it's extra time. We're not keeping hate it.
Speaker 1: Like this. I don't like what I'm saying. I'm like, yes, I.
Speaker 3: Have to do exactly. We thought it was cheesy or whatever, and what I walked away from it was like, shut up, you little. You are on a massive network and they're taking care of you. They are making the decisions about picking up your show, and they want you to come in for it as by the way, you do a good job. You're in and out of there as fast as can be. They don't want to be there all day either, so like, commit, just do it, put the smile on your face, have fun. They're not putting you in situations that you're like, I'm sorry, I'm ethically opposed to this. Or this is some I have some moral issue with what's going on. They're not doing anything salacious, they're just putting us certainly in weird situations where we're like, but are we us or are we our characters who whatever they want, whatever they want, just do it. But I do remember having the feeling of like, why do we have to do this? This is odd and I don't know, I just there was a part of me that wanted to be like, yeah, enjoy it. Put a smile on your face.
Speaker 2: There was also there's also this was at a time where so we should let the listeners know that before every season would start, there would be a series of things we would have to do, yeah, meaning you know, we'd have to do photo shoots, and there would be multiple photo shoots at times, shoot to make credits, hair stuff, shot shooting credit. So this was probably another thing on the list of like, oh wait, and now we're hosting this Saturday morning cartoon thing.
Speaker 1: So I mean there was a number of.
Speaker 2: I don't even know, housekeeping things that we'd have to do before every season started. Yeah, And so this was probably just another one of those things on the list where it's like, oh, and by the way you guys are hosting the thing, and I'm sure we were at the time probably like okay, no big deal. It wasn't until we got the inform like actually got the script that we would be like, ooh, this is we have fun.
Speaker 1: I also think that there's a generational distinction here, which is that like now actors do everything like they like do commercial but back then, like I was very conscious I would never do an on camera commercial, Like that was like a thing that I said, and like, you know, there were actors who said they would never do television, remember because they were film actors or just theater actors. So like these boundaries and the fact that they made us basically do a commercial is kind of like an extra thing that like I had no interest in doing. And at the time, like now you realize, like if you're an actor, you just be happy you have a freaking job and like do whatever you can and the audience will receive it. But at the time I think that, you know, it's not like Bill Daniels was doing this right, you know, there was there was a quality level, there was a but we were being like the US kids were kind of being told we had to do.
Speaker 3: This like they never would have asked Bill.
Speaker 4: No, they wouldn't.
Speaker 1: And that was, you know, like nowadays they probably would. Then Nowadays, I think there's an attitude of like, hey, this is part of the job. It would be in your contract or they'd ask you they pay you what. But I think back then it was sort of like and that's why I felt bad. I remember being like, but this isn't even acting. This isn't even an episode of our show. Why do I have to do this? This isn't free right?
Speaker 3: Why do I have to get on a flight from my vacation. So it stars Ben Savage, Will Wrighter, myself, and Lily nick Say, all playing our Boy Meets World characters, but also kind of playing ourselves. This was years before we did meta stuff inside the actual show, so this was way ahead of its time for us. It was written by Susan Hostelle Jansen and produced by Jim Janisek, the creator of tgis two guests we have had on the show, and it's directed by the great Jeff McCracken. I asked Jeff to send us a voice memo about what he remembered from this, so let's hear from him first.
Speaker 7: Let me just start by saying how much I'm enjoying listening to you three recap the episodes of Boy Meets World. Every recap is not only a trip down memory lane, but a wonderful exploration of your personal and you professional experiences. Now for that Saturday Morning Cartoon special segment, I must come clean and say I only have a vague recollition of it after watching it, And what struck me most was just how damn cute you all were. I mean really, just so bloody adorable and so professional. I was taking a bag at how natural and effortless you made it all seem, you know, especially and knowing that it was an all the reality of the show itself. And I have to say, did I enjoy directing the promo? No, I'd have to say not really. I mean, it was a necessary evil bestowed upon us by the network as a means of getting people to watch the cartoons on Saturday morning, right, you know, it was a challenge to make it feel like the show itself, but you were the reason it worked. You all handled it brilliantly. Reminded me again of just how talented and amazing you all were, regardless of the material. But then you know, we could have been reading the phone book. It wouldn't have matter to me. Oh yeah. One thing, one thing though that I noticed that was just super crazy was the amount of candy and junk food on the coffee table. I mean, did you notice that? It was like insane? I mean, I think PROPS must have blown their entire season's budget on that. I mean I got a toothache just looking at all that stuff. I'm sure that it was a network requirement to entice those young viewers. You know, Bribery and its zenus here children have some crack cocaine to bring fifteen years.
Speaker 2: I love him, I love your children, children.
Speaker 3: I would like to I have to agree with Jeff. When I watched this, I was struck by how adorable all of us were as little kids. If you were kids, I mean, it was so, it was so. I mean, I guess now because we're in season six of the Recap and I feel like I even have and I do. It's not that much, but like I feel like I have more distance from that little kid version now that I've already rewatched it, Like there's a desensitization that has happened now that I've that I you know, I had kind of like I was very nervous to start the Boy Meets World recap pot I was. I was nervous, like how am I gonna feel watching us? And then once I did it, and I was like, Okay, I did it. Now seeing it again with like eyes that were from in season six, it's it's like, look at these, look at we were kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tiny little.
Speaker 3: Children, so funny, so all right. Other familiar names like Lynn McCracken, David Glazer, Sarah Markowitz all appear in the credits, mostly because this was filmed like a with the crew as if we were doing a regular Boy Meets World crew and all.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 3: Segment one it runs from nineteen seconds to two fifty one on YouTube. We opened with the exterior of the Matthew's house and some typical jazz sitcom music. We did not have these for our own transition, so this was an ABC edition, very funky, yacht rock esque startling to hear. We're in the backyard slash side yard, Corey and Sean are in a hurry to get home. Sewn, who's holding a basketball, very naturally, doesn't get why they had to leave you. There was one basket away from wiping up the driveway with him.
Speaker 2: So the driveway direction where we play with Rusty before we're still figuring out the house.
Speaker 3: That does that change anything about front yard, side yard? Where are we for this?
Speaker 1: No, it's a measure chang. Okay, we also could have wait, I see you say driveway. God, I was gonna say, I could have been playing at a park somewhere.
Speaker 3: But they still the day, Corey explains, the Saturday morning preview special is on. They have to watch it. Also, you and writer, you and Ben? Are this so good? In this little opening grade It really is so natural For as much as you disliked this and having like it really does feel like it could be a scene in the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, totally.
Speaker 3: The boys are now in the kitchen and Sean isn't over it. They stop playing be ball to watch cartoons. What is he nuts? Corey corrects him, not cartoons, state of the art animation. It doesn't face Sean. He doesn't do cartoons. Corey assumes Sean didn't see the biggest movie of the summer then you know that Lion thing. Sean admits he loved it. Corey reminds him it was a cartoon. Sean can't believe they weren't real lions. Cory asks if real lions sing, and Sean says he doesn't know. He doesn't live in the jungle. Corey pushes it, well, do they sing at the zoo. Sean explains that's because they're self conscious. At the zoo, everyone is staring at them, But at night they sing. It says, so in that song, the lion sings tonight. Cory corrects him, No, it's the lion sleep tonight.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just like an extended rule.
Speaker 2: It's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: But at this point you're like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Wait, knew what is there a story yet? Has anything happened? Has anything happened? No, just Corey's dragged Sean inside.
Speaker 3: Se literally just dragged him inside, and Sean clarifies they're sleeping because they're tired from singing all day. Corey's had enough. He wants to go watch animation. Sean asks what's in it for him, and Corey offers some food, real food. Sean doesn't want to be toyed with, but Corey literally reels him in and says, it's all you can eat and nothing is healthy at all.
Speaker 2: Now, did you notice when he opens the door? No, so he Opie goes come on, like he's coaxing him in, come on, and he opens the door and we're shooting directly off the set, really like we're supposed to be on the set, but we're not supposed to be. So when you look through the door, you see part of the living room, but then you just see like our stage a bunch of times because it was so fuzzy, but I was like, wait a.
Speaker 3: Minute, I want to see it.
Speaker 4: That's right off our stage. What the hell's happening?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: So eventually they do walk into the living room and on the table is a wide array of major snackage. Corey explains the ABC guy, I'm going to go out on Eleve and say that's Jim Janisek sent this buffet of food over and all they have to do is watch the new Saturday Morning cartoons and tell everybody what they think of them. So again, just kick off our meta aspect of this in this universe, we know the ABC guy.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, as we as Sean and Sean and Corey know the ABC a guy to do this, and we know we're going to be on TV talking about the cartoons. Yes, yes, yes, see so it was our job. We have to talk. We're geting job, we're getting can yes, So it's kind of accurate kind of Watching this gives you a good sense of where we were at as kids.
Speaker 3: Sean wonders if everyone who watches will get food, but Corey says, no, those people get us. And then Sean looks at the camera and now we are watching on a TV in side our TV.
Speaker 1: Right correct, So we can see ourselves on the TV.
Speaker 2: I think this is when the acid kicked in for exactly when it's like, oh I can feel it.
Speaker 3: Figure, I didn't even think about that. You turn it on and you see yourself. You're watching. Okay, So the boys say hello to the viewer. Sean thinks it's cool. They're TV critics paid to eat and watch TV. I have no idea what this is.
Speaker 7: So are you right?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking at it.
Speaker 5: We are.
Speaker 1: You can see a flag, you can see it.
Speaker 2: It's like completely off the set.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The ends so upstage in the kitchen for that shot.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Jeff didn't have to did it to get.
Speaker 1: All the way in there.
Speaker 2: Well. Jeff also takes some interesting angles where it's like over Eric's shoulder, we just see the phone where for some reason, I'm looking down at the kids like I'm six feet tall.
Speaker 1: I think this is the first time directing. I really think it was, and I think he was trying. I think he was like, oh, let's make it look cool and were shooting.
Speaker 3: It took so long the backyard door to get eyes on Ben, so we're shooting through there with EX camera instead of from a traditional X camera perspective. Wow, that's so funny. Okay, So Sean assumes there has to be a catch and that's when Morgan appears on the steps. They have to watch with her. We cut back to the exterior of the house and hear the ear piercing screams of the boys.
Speaker 1: Which we did in the first season, right, uh huh.
Speaker 3: We do the meta going out to the world, but.
Speaker 1: Also just our scream that was a tradition, like Sean and Corey would do that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, well I only remember it in that meta one. Did we do it a bunch of times?
Speaker 1: You guys did the ha a lot? Did we just look at each other and scream, I feel like this.
Speaker 2: I feel like you did a couple of times.
Speaker 3: We should do a rewatch because I don't remember the show.
Speaker 4: How is it possible that we and we still don't know what happens on our own show.
Speaker 3: Nope, just like that, the preview show has begun. Now let's listen to us all get introduced here clip number one.
Speaker 9: It's the ABC Saturday Morning Preview Special starring Ben Savage, will Fredell Wright Strong, Danielle Fichell, Danielle Yell Fichelle.
Speaker 1: But right, they got and then they screwed up my name.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, you're are why they wrote two of the they got fifty right and actors on their own network.
Speaker 3: They spelled it r y right R y d e r rder. Okay, maybe that's why people think your name is writer R y D special because I.
Speaker 4: Was still freedom everywhere. So why is that nobody picked that up?
Speaker 3: And I will say, I've told I totally understand why people think my name is Danielle Fachelle because they wanted to rhyme. Yeah, it's just it's more waring.
Speaker 2: Did I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: Did we In that clip to they mentioned Lily.
Speaker 3: Uh well, no, let's hear the rest and Lily next.
Speaker 8: Day from Boy Meets World and featuring the ultimate news dreaming Adventure for you, Willie, the creatures from Bumping the Night, and the rest of the ABC Saturday Morning Family. You're ready the fun begins right after these messages?
Speaker 2: Whoa that song? So?
Speaker 1: Did they record that song just for us?
Speaker 2: Or is that a? Is that a classic song that's gonna be that's probably the Saturday Morning Previews song song exactly.
Speaker 3: Imagine, Well, back in the living room, Corey, Shawn, and Morgan are planted on the couch when there's a knock on the door. It's Flower Child to Penga, she was watching them on TV and she saw that ABC sent food.
Speaker 1: She's here for the candy too. It's it's like it's like a it's like the Witch Witch Gingerbread House. It's like, we'llureing everybody in the candy to then chill for ABC.
Speaker 5: It's so weird.
Speaker 2: Also, like, so you're at home, why don't all.
Speaker 1: The other kids from the neighborhood come over?
Speaker 3: Why don't they just come over? They don't know where Corey lives. Is that the only reason they're not there is because they don't they don't know where Corey lives, so Sean explains that ABC stands for Awesome Bag of Chips. Morgan invites to Panga to join them, and so their guest pulls up a small pink children's chair. Yep, Corey notices something different about her. Sean agrees, she's sitting in front of him and he can still see the TV. She says it's because they're not doing a show. This is what her hair really looks like.
Speaker 2: Really, who's you're still supposed to keep hair looks like?
Speaker 3: So because at this point, Topega's hair had been crimped right and and also big voluminous curls, so everyone it was like a very I still get asked, oh, is your hair naturally curly? I'm like, well, it's I kind of wave and they're like, well, then how did you get those curls? In the first season, It's like, oh curl. Yeah, it was like a process, it was a whole thing. So I think they felt like, this is the first time people are going to see Danielle Slash Topanga without curly hair. We have to address why her hair is different.
Speaker 1: Hair obsession on.
Speaker 4: Her, but it's Also, the other thing I wouldn't even know you were.
Speaker 2: One of the things I do remember about our television program that we've gone back and watched every episode of is that we were amazed how little of the show you were on until yeah, several seasons in, but in between season one and two you're obviously part of the cast to be on the Saturday morning cartoon preview channel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, it's strange.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Corey and Sean say they like her hair, and Corey suggests she keeps it this way. Topega asks if she can do that, and my mom was probably holding her breath here can she?
Speaker 5: Can't you do it?
Speaker 3: Corey says he'll talk to ABC. He's ends with them. They don't just send anybody food to Pega smiles and Morgan asks everyone to be quiet. She wants to watch Free Willie, and then the.
Speaker 1: Transition, so Topanga doesn't want her hair to be curled anymore, but it has to be for the show.
Speaker 3: Well, no, Topega doesn't really say whether she wants it or not, she just says, can I do that? Everyone's like, roll over her hair? Cory's like, I don't know, let me see if I've got any pull with this ABC guy.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you wonder if.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean to ask for permission to exist in kind of giving a little like look behind the curtain of Yeah, our hair and everything was controlled.
Speaker 5: And that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like very like it's it works on so many levels.
Speaker 3: So we transition right into some info about this cartoon based on a movie I almost booked. It's segment three, six twenty one to seven nineteen.
Speaker 2: I think the the killer well they went with was better in the role. You're a good swimmer, Danielle.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I know what.
Speaker 1: You didn't have this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I didn't think you could pull off the.
Speaker 1: You auditioned for Freewilli one. It wasn't Free Willy two.
Speaker 3: I auditioned for Free WILLI one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to play I hate to say this, I've never seen it, so to play which part?
Speaker 3: There's a little girl. There's a little girl character that is kind of like the potential love interest of the lead.
Speaker 10: Is it Austin James Jason James richteror that's the kid that's the kid Jason James Richter that he lived at Yeah, I remember, But it's the thing everybody was auditioning for Free It was our my first pilot season.
Speaker 1: Everybody auditioned for Free Willy that year, and then, like I remember, they wanted me to come back for some producer session and this other movie cast me. Benefit of the Doubt cast me, and they were like, we got to get him before before Free Willy does.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, now I have to look.
Speaker 4: It was a huge hit. Wasn't it really like a massive hit?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Wait, when was Free Willy one? Maybe I did audition for Free Willy two?
Speaker 1: It was two, because unless you were really too No, it was.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety three. Yep, it was right. It was like before my audition for Boy Meets World.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well know, yeah, it would have been ninety two for me that I auditioned because I shot.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Yeah, so it was my audition was before Boy Meets World started. It was like I hadn't I hadn't done Boy Meets World yet. Now we're going into segment three, which goes from six twenty one to seven nineteen. The Free Willie teas fades out and we're back in the living room. Corey asks Morgan what she thought. She calls it a big hit. Giant whale. Cute kids? Do I have to draw you a picture to Panga? Can't wait to see more? And then Eric walks in with what is most definitely the largest home phone antenna that has ever existed. It actually doesn't fit in the shot.
Speaker 11: Senna firm and perfectly parted middle park. Oh yeah, like it is a butt head cut. It is really quite astounding if you check it out.
Speaker 2: Hill Man.
Speaker 3: Oh boy. He is talking to a girl, because remember we're between season one and season two. He tells girls, girls, girls, girls. He tells Jennifer they can go out tonight because they aren't filming the show this week. Also, is Jennifer love.
Speaker 2: What what? What is this girl named? Hey Jennifer, Tiffany, Tiffany, Jennifer.
Speaker 3: He explains new episodes don't start for two weeks, so he's free until then, but Jennifer interrupts him. Eric is confused, what do you mean Corey and Shawn are on TV? Not possible, They're sitting on the couch. She tells him he's also on TV. He quickly hangs up in acts casual, Hey guys, what are we doing? Corey says, it's.
Speaker 1: A Saturday morn. I know the cameras in the TV, or you see yourself when you look at the TV.
Speaker 3: Do you look at you? There's no fourth wall in their home either.
Speaker 5: Oh, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Oh, very weird. They're just not used to the.
Speaker 2: People being behind the camera at this point.
Speaker 3: At this point, Corey says, it's the Saturday Morning Special and Eric is shocked. Sean asks if he got the.
Speaker 1: Script right script for what we have to do what we're saying right now, But I'm checking with him. Did you get the script that we're reading that I'm saying to you right now?
Speaker 3: And Eric says no, but he's good on his feet. He asks Morgan what's next, and she answers Reboot. Eric loves Reboot. He watches it all the time. So Corey calls his bluff and asks what it's about. Eric nervously says he would tell them what it's about, but he doesn't want to spoil it for everyone. Corey laughs, pretty smooth, And this is a real break from Ben.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I watched it multiple times.
Speaker 3: Something happened, nohing happened that may well break.
Speaker 2: He just not. He couldn't hold it together. What what time of day is this supposed to be Saturday morning.
Speaker 3: Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is this seven am Saturday morning where for some reason, I'm already.
Speaker 3: In everyone's already her dress, we were already playing basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Lily's coming from upstairs. But Eric is already did he not sleep last night?
Speaker 1: Like Pega made it from home? She saw us on TV and still made it from home. Yeah that time, I bet it's nine okay, food, So she made it within thirty seconds from her house because we like, we pull into the we reveal that there's candy and food, and shows up she lives.
Speaker 4: So you should have just been horribly out of breath, like.
Speaker 3: I had to do my real quick and saw then.
Speaker 1: In the bag of chips. It's eight am.
Speaker 2: I'm already perfectly dressed and ted and I saw popcorn kids.
Speaker 4: I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 1: Do I have autonomy from my hair to ABC bought the autonomy? Just just ask no?
Speaker 2: You just.
Speaker 1: Just sit down and watch the cartoons? Pretty smooth, smooth? Do we have to walk away? Where's jeffergragging to tell us to get it together?
Speaker 2: He's quitting?
Speaker 5: Oh my okay, just sit down to what crying tears of.
Speaker 3: Poppy now oh my gosh, we're back. So Sean agrees, I am the big brother.
Speaker 5: Wait what?
Speaker 3: Eric agrees I am the big brother, and the tease of reboot begins, and then we go into segment four, which is from minute fourteen oh two to minute fourteen forty three. We are still in the living room. Obviously, Sean is impressed. He wants to know the name of the computer check the green babe. Yeah, response, her name was dot. Sean says, it makes you want to try computer dating.
Speaker 1: Wow, I know, so like computer dating.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was that even a thing? It wasn't even real.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Maybe you mean dating a computer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's what I honestly think that's the joke they're going for.
Speaker 1: Right, No, there must have been chat rooms at this point, because they're definitely like servers or ninety four were there? Oh ninety four? You're right, God, I was taking ninety eight Yeah, I mean okay, Like I definitely was on a service called Genie, which was like a general electric online. It was like there was like there was Prodigy in AOL. They were around, so there would have been like the potential to meet people online, but it was not called online dating. It was called computer dating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the joke they were going for was you dating a computer girl?
Speaker 3: I think so too. That is a boot a like a three data.
Speaker 1: How is that a joke unless the phrase computer dating also has another meeting?
Speaker 2: Right? I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I don't know because I want to try dating a computer.
Speaker 1: But I said computer dating as if that was a thing. Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: Like, I know you're right here right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, then Morgan screams, this, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 9: You think mom and everyone's gonna crash?
Speaker 2: Times?
Speaker 1: Did they make her do it? What is five?
Speaker 7: Here?
Speaker 4: Six?
Speaker 3: Maybe it's five? Oh my gosh, I just imagining Adler trying to do this. Tapanga says they'll find out soon. Corey wants to know how they got reboot to look so three D. In reality, it's the most dated niceties grounds ever seen.
Speaker 4: They're awesome.
Speaker 3: Eric says it's computer animation, very complex, cutting edge stuff. He knows this because he reads a lot he's taking classes. His friends just stare at him and disbelief, forcing Eric to admit he got a copy of the.
Speaker 12: Script during the commercial breaks. So even the commercials so now he has a script that he's memorized that we did not know script that.
Speaker 1: The script, and how we.
Speaker 3: Don't have hir conviews.
Speaker 2: So we're looking at.
Speaker 1: Him going, but Eric, you're going off the script by going on to the script. That's that's what this moment is. Speak about how trippy this is.
Speaker 3: It's so weird, it's so weird. Man, Oh my gosh, that's so funny. Corey argues they haven't had a commercial break, and Eric asks, then what do you call this?
Speaker 5: And that's the question.
Speaker 1: Asking what is that?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the end of the segment. That's that's that's where that segment ends. Then we go into segment five, which is from minute seventeen eleven to minute eighteen thirty. Eric is back on the phone, but now a new one with a wire antenna. Is this the living room phone? And the other huge phone was from the kitchen?
Speaker 2: I think has the chord right along. I'm guessing this is the boys upstairs.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right? Switching out phones, Corey asks Morgan what she thinks of the cartoons so far, and here's how she answers.
Speaker 8: Thank it, bank, kit I'll be watching all feman.
Speaker 4: What does she say, bab, I'll be watching all season.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is you know, Oh this also makes sense though she I just thought about it wasn't Chris Kier let go after season one, so she had she might not have had any dialogue coach that had ever worked with her before.
Speaker 4: And you can tell.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it was just Jeff, just Jeff alone for the first time.
Speaker 4: Poor Jeff Jeff an island by himself because.
Speaker 1: Tired didn't make it into the second season.
Speaker 2: I don't think he did.
Speaker 1: Didn't he say he was let go after the first one because he was brought in by April Kelly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah he was let go.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 4: You can tell. That's why a good dialogue coach can change the whole ball.
Speaker 7: Jet Yeah. Jet.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Eric is now chatting with Stacy on the phone. He says not to worry, Jennifer won't know they're talking because they're currently showing commercials. He explains that the only person you can see on TV now is He glances at the screen and realizes me, Stacy hangs.
Speaker 2: Up and do you look at this? Look at the TV?
Speaker 3: The TV right He's to see himself on the TV.
Speaker 2: None of us look directly at the camera. I don't think ever. I think now we're stay fly.
Speaker 3: On the wall.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the pizza box.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that. No, you're doing it to us. Yeah, it's as if we're sitcom for camera style mixed with the meta neiss of knowing. We're shooting a program.
Speaker 1: And we're promoting the cartoons cartoon that's on the TV pro. We're promoted just to each other.
Speaker 2: We're just like, what do you think, Well, we're promoting it to everybody else because everybody's watching that.
Speaker 1: Everybody. Are we dressing everybody? Are we turning to looking at it? They're just third person. They're like, the audience is going to love this.
Speaker 3: Brain hurts.
Speaker 1: So we're talking to each other about how the audience is going to love it.
Speaker 4: Correct scripts. Some of us are getting scripts other people aren't getting.
Speaker 1: And the camera is somewhere hidden yeah oh man, layers, yeah, layers, the layers at the onion.
Speaker 3: So Stacey hangs up and Eric puts down the wire antenna. What do you think about your facting?
Speaker 4: Will I was pretty happy with my factoring in this previous episode. Yeah, this might be the best facting I've ever done.
Speaker 3: It was really good.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Eric sarcastically asks his family if he's ever told them how wonderful and under standing A girl Jennifer is the phone rings and Eric knows who that is. He will take it in the kitchen. It's going to be extremely loud. As he leaves, Topanga asks what the next show is. It's Bump in the Night. Corey explains, they are about these weird little creatures that live under your bed, and we just did we just realize there should have been a lawsuit from the show about from Monsters, inc.
Speaker 1: Oh open, then is it about the monsters?
Speaker 3: Yeah, monster, they don't live under the they don't live under the bed. They live in the closet. I guess in Monsters is transportation.
Speaker 1: Actually live in their own little land there?
Speaker 3: Okay. Corey explains, it's about these weird little creatures that live under your bed. Morgan states she doesn't have anything under her bed, but Sean says he does, mostly mold and empty pizza boxes. Corey says that wouldn't make an interesting show, so Sean accepts the challenge. He picks up a pizza box and uses it like a puppet. Hello boys, and girls, it's time once again for what's under Sean's bed. Corey is not impressed and closes the pizza box. It's time for bumping the night and writer, for as annoyed as you were about having to do this, you fully commit to this pizza box gag.
Speaker 1: It's horrible pizza.
Speaker 3: It's a good bit, it's a cute bit. I disagree. I did not think it was horrible at all.
Speaker 2: Put on a little voice, you did your your manipulating the box Yep, it worked well.
Speaker 4: I mean, Lily still stole the scene, but you did.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no there's no stealing the scene from Lily.
Speaker 4: We're all playing for second when she's on she's on camera, all right.
Speaker 3: So let's jump into segment six, from minute twenty two nineteen to twenty two thirty one. We returned to the couch and things are definitely messier for absolutely no reason at all. Tapenga says, don't try this at home and hits Sean in the head with a bag of potato chips. So Sean returns the favor with a pillow.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know what, you know how this was set up?
Speaker 1: Kids being kids?
Speaker 4: I'm asking, do you know how this was set up, because I don't know how this no.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, although what I'm going to assume is if you watched the cartoon, there must have been something in the cartoon that's.
Speaker 12: There.
Speaker 3: We must have been playing, and so then coming out of that episode, there's something with people hitting each other with something, so we do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So Unaffected Morgan asks Corey what he's doing, and he says he's doing mister Bumpy, while holding up a clay mold of a Bump in the Night character. He's grunting a goofy song. Sean says it's no mister pizza box. Corey admits stop action is harder than it looks. Then Eric returns on the phone. He's still arguing with Jennifer. He says, if that's how she feels, then there's nothing he can do to change your mind, but still goes into a spiel about how when a man is asked to host a Saturday morning cartoon special, it puts a lot of pressure on him.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, before we go any further, I just want you to know that that's officially going to be my new.
Speaker 4: Euphemism for sex.
Speaker 3: Mister Bumpy.
Speaker 2: I'm that I'm doing mister Bumpy. So just so, hey man, what are you up to doing mister Bumpy?
Speaker 3: Just letting you know, looking forward to mister Bumpy tonight.
Speaker 2: Can be doing, is it?
Speaker 1: Mister and missus Bumpy?
Speaker 3: Just Eric is listening to dial tone again. He laughs it off and says they were disconnected. She'll call back. Corey offers him a spot on the couch and he defeatedly accepts. Morgan explains that if he spent more time watching cartoons, he wouldn't have any girl problems. And now they've seen Free Willy, Reboot and Bump in the Night. Morgan categorizes them big hit, Mega hit, monster hit. Corey runs down the entire Saturday Morning lineup. Eric hands the phone to Morgan. If a girl calls, I'm not there. Sean then snatches the phone from her. He'll be taking all the calls. And that's the end of that segment. And now our seventh and final segment, which goes from minute twenty eighth two to minute twenty nine thirty five. It's now just Corey to Pega, Sean and Eric on the couch. Corey declares that was the best ABC Saturday Morning lineup in the History of the World. He looks for Morgan to agree, but they realize she's gone to Pega says she went to call her friends and tell them all about the lineup. Eric can't believe it. Can she remember all those shows? And Sean says he can too. Eric dares him to prove it, and so Sean goes deep into thought. He stumbles and Corey takes over. It's pro followed by Sonic the Hedgehog, followed by Free Willie exactly. Sean yells out. Corey continues reboot, followed by Bumping the Night, followed by Tales from the Cripkeeper. Sean continues to act like he's killing but Corey's actually the one running it down. He concludes with the Bugs and Tweety Show, the Adams Family, and the ABC Weekend Special. Sean pretends he knew them all. Topega asks but what happens after the Weekend Special and Corey says he go outside, you get some marror, you get a life. Sean can't believe his ears and miss professional bowling. Eric says they'll tape it for him. Corey is satisfied. What a great line app What a great season.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to be outside playing basketball.
Speaker 2: Right because because the car is now you like bowling, and now I like bowling. Oh, by the way, that there's no reason for Lily not to be there other than the fact that we must have gone over and they're yes.
Speaker 3: Because because they had to write her out of the segment.
Speaker 4: Yep absolutely had to Tapanga.
Speaker 3: Knows where her bread is buttered and add that it's going to be a great season for Boy Meets World too. Lots of changes. Corey reveals Corey and Sean are going to be in high school with Eric, which is news to Eric. That's not cool and he wants cool changes, like being in an all girls dorm in college next to Swedish gymnasts and all they know how to say is y'all Eric, y'all. Eric giggles in giddiness. Sean Sean proclaims, since they're making changes, he wants the title to be Sean meets World. So Corey suggests Boy meets New best Friend. Sean understands, let's leave it the way it is, so.
Speaker 1: Now we know we're on a show.
Speaker 3: We are met Yep, and Ben is the star of it, and you're a friend star of.
Speaker 1: It, but I want to be shot like.
Speaker 3: They call Boy Meets World a big hit, reminding us of that brand.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, boy meets New best Friend. When you have a death chair and we've literally fired five of them, Yeah, think about that, and you're being forced to save these lines to each other, to the network that you know.
Speaker 5: It's terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yes, very scary, very exactively scared for your job. They call Boy Meets World a big hit, reminding us of that brand new catchphrase Morgan just said for the first time minutes ago. She tells the viewer to stick around and see all the cartoons they just previewed or else they did the special for nothing, but Sean reminds him they did get the food, and that's it. Little reminder. You can watch the special with the time codes throughout the YouTube link in the show notes, or click the link in our Instagram bio to check it out. We are going to keep it up there for a little while, so or just.
Speaker 1: Watching with those commercials, watch the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to do. I'd love to know any of you who do end up watching it, Will you send us an email and let us know why. Writer and I hit each other in the head with a chip bag and a pillow. What's what happens in the cartoon right before it? Let us know? Thanks. You can send us an email pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening to this little bonus episode. We'll send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all.
Speaker 4: Pod dismissed.
Speaker 5: We love you all.
Speaker 4: I was good that for the merchant merch call. That's right bye some March.
Speaker 2: Podmets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.