Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, hey guys, It's me Tiffany and it's Manjo. We just want to say thank you guys. You guys are amazing thanks to you. Since we started our podcast, it was just me and Mandy listening to ourselves to now we get over one hundred thousand downloads a month, and I know it seems like that's awesome, but we can do even better.
Speaker 2: And we have a favor to ask, just.
Speaker 3: A tiny favor, if you could please share our show. Share it on your social media. You can tag us at Brown Ambition Podcast. Take a screenshot of the show that you're listening to and share it on Twitter, on Insta, on Facebook, tell a friend to tell a friend. You can tag us on social media. We're at Brown Ambition Podcast on Insta, at the BA Podcast on Twitter, and of course our Facebook group. You can find us under Brown Ambition. Don't forget to tag our personal handles too. On Insta. I'm at Mandy Money Mandy with an Ie, and Tiffany is at the Budget Nista. When you tag us, we will share your post and help amplify it even further. Thank y'all for all the love this is just gonna help us give us that little extra brown boost.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're brown.
Speaker 2: Ambision ambisent ambis.
Speaker 3: Hey, mandra, Hey, how's it going. It's going, you know, just another week in our frigid tundra of a paradise.
Speaker 1: Just another day in the neighborhood, just another day around the way. Name that artist feeling good today? Come on now, she's a New Yorky journey native feeling love. Hey, she's not a princess, but she's a.
Speaker 3: Queen. Oh hey, we just talked about her. Thank you. That was such like a game that she's not a queen, but she's a No, she's not a princess, she's a.
Speaker 2: That was good, but you gotta get that. I'm gonna give you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give you parcel use of your your black and brown card back.
Speaker 3: Li said, why are you always holding that over my head? That's not fair. I can't calm here. This is a safe space. I can't come.
Speaker 2: Every day.
Speaker 1: But you know, just first of all, I just want to for those of you who will be about Chinese jump rope, thank.
Speaker 2: You, because I was like, I'm not bucket.
Speaker 1: I used to play that in outside of Side on It out and so a bunch of y'all were like, uh huh.
Speaker 3: Was that last week's show? We got so much love for last week's show. I think people really appreciated there was some positive energy flowing last week. So if you missed last week's episode, episode two fitty two, go check it out. Go check it out. Stop what you're doing. You can come back to this one later. It's cool. Go ahead, go back to with some big news nuggets on the last ones to go take sewed out. Also, Chinese jump rope is a thing.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 3: It's a thing.
Speaker 2: Ah, So you want to just get get down with it. Get down, mandra.
Speaker 3: Let's get down. Let's get down. The socials and the personal finance socials at least, were going like nuts a few days ago when one David Ramsey, who I don't even know what to call this man, personal finance guru who just won't quit. Dave Ramsey was on Fox News his home away from home, and went on a little mini well. He was answering some questions about the stimulus and even about some progressive legislation that's being pushed to potentially free, relieve, or forgive cancel student loan debt so in like a two and a half minute clip in this Fox interview Dave he says a little something about people who may need a stimulus check, and yeah, people are peels.
Speaker 1: So we're actually going to play it for you so that way, because it's many pointed out that sometimes, you know, people talk about clips and things and there you folks who are listening have not gotten the chance to really listen. It's only two minutes, but we want to play it for you then discuss aka drag hm.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's discuss. Well I had I myself hadn't listened to the clip. I had read some of the articles that mentioned his quote, but yeah, I do feel like if we're going to talk about it, let's listen to it. And part of me is like, why I give this man, you know, a bigger platform than he already has. But you know, I even think some of our Brown Ambition listeners are Dave Ramsey fans, and a lot of people friends of mine have benefited from his his his empire of financial wisdom and all of that, so people still turn to him for advice. So I think it's worth it's worth hearing him out and then we can talk about sort of what he said. So let me get my little clip up here and play it for y'all. All right, So here is Dave Ramsey on Fox News last week talking about a couple different and personal finance agenda items on the progressives list.
Speaker 4: Well, to start with, we need to understand we got one point seven trillion dollars in student loan debt. One hundred and ninety two billion out of that not so much.
Speaker 2: Let's do some ratios, folks.
Speaker 4: If we're going to do math, we probably ought to play math.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: On top of that, when you dig into it, the whole idea that that student loans being forgiven is going to stimulate the economy, That assumes that people were getting ready to pay them off this year and instead would use that same forty thousand dollars that they were getting ready to pay off their student loan and stimulate.
Speaker 2: The economy with it.
Speaker 4: Again, that's economic hogwash, it's smoking mirrors. It's simply not going to happen. Dave, I just think there's there's a moral hazard doing this. You're absolutely, yes, signed a financial contract, you have an obligation to pay that money back. Absolutely, and listen, there's some situations where folks are hurting and this thing has become it's gotten completely out of hand. I mean, there are people's lives who have been destroyed by this. Somebody needs some relief somewhere. I'm fine with that, But this has nothing to do with really helping people. This is a political gimme by progressive simply trying to buy votes. And we know that because when you go from ten thousand in forgiveness to fifty thousand in forgiveness, the people who benefit are not lower income people. The vast majority of people that have an average income or less have less than ten thousand dollars a student loan debt. The vast majority of people who be blessed by moving it from ten to fifty are high income earners. So again, this is all political rhetoric, it's not reality.
Speaker 2: You come from an interesting perspective.
Speaker 4: You talk to Americans across the country every day in your radio program, what do you believe is the right number or the right answer for the next stimulus check? Well, I don't believe in a stimulus check because if six hundred dollars or fourteen hundred dollars changes your life, you.
Speaker 2: Were pretty much screwed.
Speaker 4: Already. You got other issues going on. You have a career problem, you have a debt problem, you have a relationship problem, you have a mental health problem. Something else is going on. If six hundred dollars changes your life, And that's not talking down to folks. I've been bankrupt, I've been broken. I work with people every day who are hurting. I love people. I want people to be lifted up. But this is again, it is It is just political rhetoric, and it's just throwing dollars out there.
Speaker 2: It's peeing on a forest fire. It's absolutely ridiculous. So can I start with a little shade real quick?
Speaker 3: Take it away?
Speaker 1: Okay, So the anchor said to Dave Ramsey, you talking about the people in general who'd be.
Speaker 2: Looking for assistance.
Speaker 1: You signed a contract, you have a moral obligation to pay what's owed. From Dave Ramsey dot com Dave's bankruptcy story from his site. Did you know Dave Ramsey filed for bankruptcy? I'm reading verbatim. He has He had earned a networth of over one million dollars by the time he was twenty six, But in September nineteen eighty eight, it all came crushing down when the bank called the notes of his loans, the contracts that he was morally obligated to pay.
Speaker 2: He was left totally broken and completely broken.
Speaker 1: So this is also from the site Do you know what does filing for bankruptcy means? When you go through the process of filing for bankruptcy, you are telling the courts you can't pay your debts set up through federal laws, bankruptcy will cancel many of your debts so you can start fresh. So Dave hypocrite Ramsey has filed for bankruptcy and gotten to restart his millionaire life.
Speaker 2: But you, oh, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: You person who's like, how possibly am I going to be able to feed my child, pay for my mortgage and my rent during a historic worldwide pandemic.
Speaker 2: Pooh pooh on you for asking for.
Speaker 1: Assistance because you are morally obligated to pay for everything that you've ever borrowed.
Speaker 2: But not Dave Ramsey though, of course not him.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to start with that piece of hypocritical shade this man, quite honestly, and I don't lose hand much.
Speaker 2: He's trash.
Speaker 3: Do you feel better?
Speaker 2: Actually, do commence? I'm gonna tagging win man, I've tagged you into the ropes me.
Speaker 3: And let me let me in, Let me in. Well, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this. I just went on Twitter to see if Dave, you know, try listen. I tried to be a journalist sometimes see if the man's come out and said anything in response to all this, the the justified anger that people have towards this, the statement that he made on Fox News. And I can't even see his tweets because he blocked me. I don't know. I don't know when, but I've been blocked by Jay Ramsey. Maybe it has been for years. I do know that I was blacklisted by his people years ago when I was at Business Insider because I he had been basically talking about retirement and how you can expect like a twelve percent return on your retirement anyway, and I wrote an article talking about how that's a little too rosy of a picture for the eye investor to anticipate seven or sorry, twelve percent gains on their investment. Anyway. He didn't like that, and like I got invited to a Dave Ramsey thing and then disinvited. It was a whole thing I guess I guess he's a little petty. Yes, But you know, for me, I think I mean this for me is is is a man who has benefited, I think, from a certain rhetoric around you know, financial advice that that uses shame against people and tries to make them feel small for having problems at all. And I don't think I think he is very much of you know, an era of personal finance guru ship that I think is ending now and I really feel like the rise of a lot of more compassionate personal finance advice and education and frankly, you know, of rise in diverse voices in personal finance education, so that he's not the only option for people, and so that we have different perspectives, because look, this is a perspective of a wealthy man who has who is privileged in so many ways, and has been put on a pedestal bites so many people for his personal finance tips, and frankly, like how you know he's very far removed from the people that he helps every day or so yes.
Speaker 2: He's that day.
Speaker 1: Let's make sure it's the double w the wealthy white man. Now here's the thing that honestly also kind of pissed me off, not even kind of just straight U piss me off. Is that he mentioned that he doesn't think that student loan forgiveness should be discussed going from ten thousand dollars being forgiven up to fifty thousand. He's like, Oh, that's not going to help anybody, because this is what he's saying, if you remember from the clip, because most low income folks don't have fifty thousand dollars or more of student loans to be forgiven. That's really going to help folks who are not struggling. What he fails to, either intentionally or unintentionally mentioned, is that this would significantly help black student bars. But you know, Dave, God forbid the blacks benefit other than what he's coming into your church is telling y'all. Y'all ain't ish by his stuff. So anyway, so according to am I business inside of your old employer, I just want to kind of give you some some stats. Right, So, according to a business insider, eighty six point six percent of black student bars have federal loans in comparison to fifty nine point nine percent of white students. So black students are I mean eighty six point six percent are borrowing federal loans. That's tremendous, right, even well off black students carrying more student loans at than anyone else. Right, the average black student graduate has well over seventy four hundred dollars more student more in student loan debt than they're white peers.
Speaker 2: So not right.
Speaker 1: So not that that they have under ten thousand, but seventy four percent more debt. That's just crazy. So the gap widens over time. After four years, black grats hold almost twice as much in student loan debt as their white counterparts at fifty three thousand dollars. So if federal student loans could be forgiven up to fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: It would significantly help this community.
Speaker 1: I just this is the same man that has said I usally don't speak on him because quite honestly, I don't care about Dave Ramsey.
Speaker 2: I came about y'all, you know.
Speaker 1: But this is the same man that has said that money is not black or white, it's green. I just the thought to say that. Tell that to the white man that came to my house and said that my house was worth thirty thousand dollars or less. There's another couple. Did you see this other couple in California recently, Mandy. Yes, they had to have their white friend come in. They got under appraise by over a half a million dollars stolen from these people. They had to fight their bank, ask their white friend come in, be my wife, put up your white pictures, and their house was appraised at five hundred something thousand dollars more five hundred thousand dollars in wealth that was almost lost to this family if they did not have a white friend. So money is not black or white as green is the wealthy white man perspective. And he's not dumb. Dave Ramsey's empire is like worth over four hundred million dollars, quite honestly built on the backs of black and brown people because we allow him to spread his poisonous brand of financial education into our community. Now here's the thing. Are some of his principles sound? Yes, absolutely, some of his principles are sound, But the lack of empathy, the lack of connection to the community that truly needs service and help. You can get that sound personal financial education from so many places, from someone who actually.
Speaker 2: Cares about your well being.
Speaker 1: Some of the things that they I'm not even going to share because some of them has been shared behind the scenes. Some of the things that he's selling you are unconscionable. Unconscionable. Steering you, guys, into insurance that is not for your benefits, steering you into financial practice services that line his pockets. Four hundred million dollars, this is what he's made because he is so welcomed to our black and round churches. You know how much of that money has gone back into the community. Does he give to the Negro College Fund? You se him at the NAAC people cookout. Is he pouring into that community?
Speaker 2: No, he is.
Speaker 1: Milking this community and then telling you to kiss his behind on the way out.
Speaker 3: But that's just me and my tea. I appreciate the tea. I mean, I feel like we need to balance this out. Let's talk. Let's let's name some names that deserve some shine. Let's name some names. So who in personal finance education has got you excited? While I'm asking? I'm gonna go because there was a really amazing Instagram post by a financial educator. Ooh, I need to share. Her name is Anna, but I'm thinking like investing Latina. What's her name is Julie.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 3: M she's amazing. Oh for news to Rob you got on the show.
Speaker 1: Katrina Washington, we love her. Lynette caw Finnie Cox, you.
Speaker 2: Know we love her.
Speaker 1: I actually, honestly, I really like David Bach. He's a white man, a wealthy white man. But David Bach, he's the first time I ever read a compassionate financial educator. Like I read his book The Automatic Millionaire and Smart Woman finished rich, but the tone was so compassionate.
Speaker 2: I was shocked. And so he's another awesome one.
Speaker 3: And I haven't thought about David back in a minute.
Speaker 2: Who is he at? I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of David balaktu is in like in Italy.
Speaker 1: He just messaged me the other day congratulate me on my on my magazine cover, my my money magazine cover. I honestly, I've always really, really liked David Bach. There are a bunch broke millennial that's Aaron.
Speaker 2: She's awesome. Ramat obviously.
Speaker 3: Just bread sing from minority mind.
Speaker 2: You know we love to free just chrastic.
Speaker 1: Journey to launch the investing Tutor. I think that's doctor.
Speaker 3: Hans Popcorn Finance. Chris Browning runs Pipe Popcorn Finance. He's dope.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh here it is Anna. Let me get like the harm Paine.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's also grow black girl. Is that her name Dasha? She's awesome?
Speaker 3: Oh Marcia Barnes Yes, from the Finance Bar.
Speaker 1: Yep, love Marcia. Oh obviously Sandy. Yes, I am cheap. She's awesome. She sused to have Tila also, I love Tila at the Ivy Investor.
Speaker 2: These are some investing folks. She's awesome of Courtney love it.
Speaker 3: So this is Anna nij Conti. She's a CFP. I hope I pronounced your name right. I'm sorry. I was just so excited to share you. So. She actually posted on Instagram this week a post from a former colleague. So she's a certified financial planner. She used to work for a big financial institution. And one of her white colleagues posted on Twitter just like not even in response to anything that she had done. She's she's gone since gone out on her own and started to build her brand as a financial educator. And he talks about I'm going to try and summarize. She took some screenshots of his post. And he's a CFP and he talks about how he was young, inexperienced, and his job asked him to train her in her job basically, and then what he says is, had I not been clouded by my own ambition, Anna and I never really connected and she left not long after that request was made. If you don't know Anna, you should know she's a black woman and I am clearly a white man. Not that I'm saying race was a direct factor, but there's no denying in my mind that our skin color played a subconscious role in my gender. My underqualified white ass being asked to teach an incredibly intelligent black woman anything. Looking back, I should have picked up on it then, but I didn't. So this is Anna and you should definitely follow her on Insta.
Speaker 2: Yes, Kelly will also.
Speaker 1: Watch to other list of all these kids, Yes, writch in regular that's another one too, And it's just such a you know, it's funny you say that because there's a woman.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to give too much information away, but she's basically being pushed out of her corporate role, even though she is dynamic. And I was about to list some of the schools that she went to because she's got her master, she's got her bachelor's but I think I would give too much away. But I just heard through the grapevine through a friend and they were just sharing how like you know, and the company that she's being pushed out of is known for pushing black women out of high positions and power. I've known a handful of people that I know personally that have been pushed out once they got.
Speaker 2: To a certain earning amount.
Speaker 1: And so thankfully we were looking there's a role that's open in our company where we can pay her something not quite what she was making, but at least something comparable. So I'm hoping it'll be a fit. But it's just really it's exhausting, y'o. Like I don't think people understand, like if you are not black or brown and you're listening and you're hearing the like, cause they're like, I feel like black and brown people, we go from rais to exhaustion to just like a Because I just want you to for a minute, pretend that you were playing a game. Let's just say we were playing cards and someone says, these are the rules for cards, you know, like you just have to match the two cards up, and you're like okay, So you start to play, you start to win, They're like, oh no, no, the cars can't just pass by number. You also have to mass by color. And you're like, oh, okay, but the person before they dis match by number. No, yeah, yeah, those are the rules. So you're like, okay, matching by number by color? Oh no, no, no, you start to win. No, no, no, it's not just by number by color. You also have to match by suit. But you're like, no, but that's the other person. That's not how to Yeah, but we change the rules. Can you imagine playing a game that just when you start to figure it out, they change the rules and then blame you if you don't win, Like, well, girls, you just knew how to play the game better.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, you keep changing the rules on purpose so that I lose and then expect for me to be happy with whatever little crumbs I've been able to win with.
Speaker 1: It is the level of gall and audacity. That's why you couldn't pay me. I don't care if someone's atifty will give you one hundred million dollars to join corporate and to be mistreated in that way. I would never only because because I've been offered. But I want the reason why I I work do the budget, Nissa. It's not just for myself, but to be able to create a safe haven for women like me, to be able to shine. Like we are on track to make twenty million dollars this year. We pay our employees well, we get bonuses when outside is open. We take them on trips that are all expense paid. You know, you have a baby, you get in a gift. You get married, you get in a gift. You know, we have a prayer channel in slack. You need prayer. You're getting prayed over. Like, I want to create a super safe environment because it's trash out here in these streets. Like there are a few places like Mandy's at now, like Ally who really try. It's so funny their name is Ally because they really try to be an Ally And I've seen it. And you know, they're one of the few financial institutions that I consent to work with when they've asked me, because I see the way they navigate in this space. But it's few and far in between, and it is a level of like what they basically tell black people is that one you're never going to make as much and if something belongs to you, the value is always less. If that is your home, it's worth this. If it's someone else's home, it's worth something else. How do you get ahead in that? Like, honestly, how does someone get ahead like I just? I mean I have worked my tail off and I have grown my net worth to multiple seven figures, and someone can still come to my house and say, yeah, no, it's not worth what you think. You know, because you know black just like the level, it's just infuriating. And I just some days I just tap out. I'm just like I can another days, you know, I go back to the battle. But then you know, y'all still give energy to people like Dr who I honestly never mention because he's not worth He's not worth the mention. If I share with you what he does behind the scenes when he's connecting with these financial influencers and on how he tries to.
Speaker 2: Take advantage of them.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't get invited to his financial influencer summit, and I know why because he knows damn well, I'm not gonna let you take advantage of my brand. I mean, if I tell you of some of the stuff that people have told me behind the scenes and ask me not to share, but about what that looks like if you partner with him, and I use partner as loosely as possible, because it's really just a takeover.
Speaker 2: It is it is. Where is the Christianity? I don't see it.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm sure this is gonna get me super banned, but I see I could care less because that's what happened when you build your own shit. Because you know, what can he do? Is he gonna tell who? You're gonna tell dreamcatches to what not? Massuativity, no more try. But yeah, I just it's just sickening and I'm over it. And I just wish like he's already he's never not gonna be wealthy. But I just wish people would turn their gaze away from him and lean into those people who actually care about you. I'm not talking about me. There are so many folks out there who actually care about.
Speaker 2: You and your journey. And he ain't it.
Speaker 3: He ain't it. And I will just say on the talk of stimulus checks because this is an issue happening right now, like Congress needs to pass in their stimulus bill. The people are bleeding, and the idea that you know the part of his quote where he says if you don't you know, he doesn't believe in a stimulus check because quote, if six hundred dollars or fourteen hundred dollars changes your life, you were pretty much screwed already. You got other issues going on. And he goes on to list career issues, relationship, What about a pandemic that noone could have predicted or prepared for, Like I anyone who's ever written the word save three to six months for an emergency fund? What help have we offered people? Like, honestly, it's been nearly a year of this pandemic. So the goll and the audacity to say that if this changes your life, then you have other issues going on, You're right, dude, Like there are huge, uncontrollable issues at stake here. Like people's lives have been upended by this pandemic. And they do need a band aid because they are bleeding and they're hemorrhaging, and they need more than a band aid, but they need something. And like if you if you go to the hospital and like, let's say, I don't know, you've got like you you're having seizures, and the reason you know, they need to They need to find the underlying cause. They're not going to like not treat you for what you're going and presenting with today. They need to find their root cause. But you need to help people for what is going on now. And yes, there's a larger conversation to be had about, you know what, maybe you know all the issues that are going on and why people are being hurt so badly by what's happening in our country right now. But let's just help people, you know, Let's not let's not have this glare of superiority and condescension when people genuinely need help. That to me is heartless, even though he says, you know, one breath later, how he does care about people and wants to lift them up. But do you really like, where's the where's the empathy here?
Speaker 2: People don't People who care about people don't talk like that. People who who have taken advantage.
Speaker 1: Of the system and use the federal government to get their own debts wiped away don't look down at their nose are other people and pretend they care. They cares about his bank account, and he cares about you as long as it continues to feed his bank account and so I, yeah, that's not care doctor Green, my coach said it beat she said, because I told her I was worried about sharing that, like, oh, I want my book to be a bestseller, you know, get good with money. I'm like, oh, I want my book to be a best seller. And she and I was worried that that was arrogance, and she said, no, Tiffany, that's not arrogant. It's okay to say I'd like to have a bestseller plug get Goods money dot com, go ahead and pre order. But she was like that arrogance is when you use your bigness to make other people feel small. What you're here, what you heard in that clip with him using his bigness to make you feel small because it makes him feel bigger. It's arrogance and it has no place in service, in teaching, in financial education. It's arrogance, and it's nasty, and it's not unexpected because it's the same man who literally had a Christmas party and told waiters don't wear a mask because God forbid, you should have a grammar at home.
Speaker 2: You know, forget about her. That's arrogance.
Speaker 1: This is the same person who's like you know there is no or doesn't really believe in Corona. Although because I just don't understand how the whole world has said. You know what, let's all pretend that there's this disease that's like killing people. Okay, China you first, Okay, YouTube, Jamaica, come on, Costa Rica.
Speaker 2: You don't want to play the game.
Speaker 1: The whole world like yo, it's arrogance and the only way to come back arrogance is to ignore. And typically I don't give them this much, and you never hear me talk about dr but I just felt like it had to be said. So hopefully you could tell your grandma and them stop having this person in your church.
Speaker 3: And that's on that and that's on.
Speaker 1: Mary had a little lay. This is so that is what it is to be black, right, Randy? That like it could be something it's going down, but we don't find a reason to laugh.
Speaker 3: Now, Listen, Humor is the key to resilience. Okay, how can you get through life without it? All right, well, let's take a quick break and we will be back with y'all's questions. All right, y'all, we are back with your questions, and please please please send us your questions You can hit us up at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com, or you can find us on Insta. We are at Brown Ambition Podcast. Please follow us and you can slide into our dms with questions. Of course, you can remain anonymous, although there's no shame in any of these questions, and ask us anything you know, financials, investing, saving, career, relationship, anything you want to know. We're here to help you. Just remember we are not Tiffany what's our spiel. We are not financial advisors. We're not your financial advisors. We are your you know, your financial friends, Okay, And we'll tell you what we feel and what we have you know, what we think based on our own advice and experience, but at the end of the day, always consult a professional for any real advice applicable to your you know, circumstances. AKA so your cousin that is, yeah, to the guy at the barbecue who's like you should get on those stock. All right, let's kick things off, all right, y'all. Our first question comes from Jane. So she has a question. She wants to start her own business and she's wondering, you know, should I, how should I financially prepare. So let's get into Jane's question first. I'm going to start with the second half of her question because it gives some helpful context I think we should consider. So, Jane says, I'm a single mother, forty years old with two children. I have a mortgage, student loans, and a car loan. I've saved a little over eight months of my noodle budget in a high interest savings account, which I call my emergency fund, and I have almost three hundred thousand dollars in retirement. I don't want to deplete my emergency savings in order to bridge the gap, but I'm not really sure what else I could conceivably do given the time horizon. All right, So backing up now, Jane is about to quit her job and go into entrepreneurship. She says she wants to do this in a year and start her own business, but she's scared to death. She wants to know one, doesn't make sense for me to reduce my current four oh one K contribution, which is currently set at fifteen percent per paycheck, to set aside more money to help close that gap and income or are there any other options we can recommend to increase her savings or other actions she should be taking in consideration of her what she calls appending leap into entrepreneurship. Ps. I do not carry consumer.
Speaker 2: Debt, Jane.
Speaker 1: So first of all, girl, you out here slaying these financial streets.
Speaker 2: Can we give her a rind of applause?
Speaker 3: Single mom, forty three hundred k in the bank, some debt mortgage due to loans car loan, but no credit card debt.
Speaker 2: Girl, and eight months worth of savings.
Speaker 1: So just I want you to just take a deep breath in and say, I'm doing a damn thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But then I asked, Jane, because I just you don't wanted to know, do you have to quit your job? I don't know what the pending you know, business is, but I think people think that sometimes you have to be like a pure entrepreneur, and that's not necessarily so Like I before I started the Budjeaneste, I mean, I was pushed out because my school closed. But I was doing budgetista stuff for about a year and a half maybe two years, kind of really light while I was still teaching, And I would do it in the morning, I would do it at night. I would during during nap time when the kids slept. Do you have to make this like hardcore leap. That's my concern because it can take a number of years it did for me before you see a positive return on your investment.
Speaker 2: And you have two children.
Speaker 1: So that is my question, Like, is there a reason why you can't say, I am going to you know, stay at this job and start my new job or my new business as a side hustle until it makes enough for me to leave my main hustle at least until it's making enough of what your noodle budget is. And maybe we can explain with noodle budget, that's just when, like you're if you had to eat ramen noodle's budget, Like what's the what's the least expensive amount of money you can live off of and still maintain health and safety and your basic you know, your basic life needs. So that's that Or Jane, if you are going to make the leap, I would have some side hustles lined up to make ends meet. Meaning so I didn't make the leap from when I left teaching, you know, my school closed, but I had babysitting jobs, tutoring jobs while I.
Speaker 2: Was building budget Nista.
Speaker 1: Because Budgetista did not make any money for the first honestly almost three years. But I supplemented with unemployment and tutoring and babysitting like crazy. So if you are going to leave your job, do you have kind of like side jobs you can do to make ends meet, because you cannot unless your business is already making money.
Speaker 2: Now, there's no way to know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how long it was going to take for budget. He said to be in the black or at least in a black enough for me to be able to sustain myself. So that's just my only, not my only, but those are some of my concerns, and my suggestions is to have some side hustle jobs lined up. So if you need the space and time to start your business, you already know what your noodle budget is. Great, maybe potentially stay at your job longer and don't leave until your new business makes enough for you to.
Speaker 2: At least cover your noodle budget.
Speaker 1: Reducing fifteen percent is really great and aggressive toward retirement.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be mad if you said, you know what, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To bring it down to ten percent and use that extra five toward the business. I wouldn't be mad at that because to me, starting a business is also an investment, but you would still be saving a good amount or investing a good amount toward retirement. I'm not mad at that either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think And the fact that she hasn't said I mean, she's got three hundred k save for retirement. As long as you're not touching that, you're still letting that money sit there and grow. I mean, I do feel like sometimes entrepreneurs, you'll hear them say they drain their four one K.
Speaker 2: I did doubtor that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to do that, Jane, So I think. I mean, that's a really comfortable amount of money to have saved by your fight just forty years old. So I mean that's commendable. And I see how you did it, saving fifteen percent so aggressively. I personally have done that. I have scaled back my retirement contributions when we were renovating the home and we wanted to pay out of pocket versus take on debt. So and I you know, they make it really easy to go in there, and at least the retirement plans I've used, Yeah, make it easy to kind of like go from fifteen to twelve or eleven or whatever, just to give yourself a little bit more cash flow. I think that's perfectly fine. I don't know that you're ever going to hit like the right number in terms of your savings to where you feel like, okay, and today is the day I have just enough to like quit my job and to start this life as an entrepreneur. I agree with Tiffany. I think there's a side hustle that you're talking about. You know, do you? I think that there's a side hustle I could have. I kind of feel like you're starting your business as that side hustle, and you should be doing that while you have the you know, the relative safety and security of that full time job, you know, for your benefits and for the for the income that you have coming in. But you know, you can be working toward that goal. But maybe don't be so strict about Okay, I'm going to hit this amount of money and then quit my job and I sort of have to have I'm just gonna like leave and my money is the only you know, security and safety and that I'm going to have for a while. But yeah, I think that you're in really good shape. I don't see anything wrong with cutting back on the retirement yeah, just.
Speaker 1: A mede and go for I mean, I know literally a single mother right now who has two kids and she is during uh during I was gonna say, panteing during Panda rosa aka pandemic. She started a business. It's looking like the businesses she's starting. If all goes well, it'll probably makes six figures its first year. Now that's not common, but it's possible. You would have to know best based upon the business that you're going into. It is possible to be in the black right away, but most businesses are not, so you want to give yourself space and time to not be. There's just so much that goes into starting a business. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would never choose anything else. I mean, I'm so glad that I did it, but there is a lot in the financials in the beginning. It's very touch and go for most people. So being mindful of that. So I just but I wish you well though, because if the awesome part about having a business is that you're earning possent, there is no cap to your earning potential, like I could reasonably one day take home eight figures. I mean, my business makes eight figures, but I'm talking about take home Tiffany making eight figures. It's possible because when you have a business, that's possible. I might sell my company and somebody buyser for fifty million dollars and my take home is ten million.
Speaker 2: That's very, very, very possible. So that is one of the benefits.
Speaker 1: And although people think it's more freedom, it is, but isn't.
Speaker 2: It's a lot more work. I work just about not.
Speaker 1: I used to work seven days a week up until maybe like a year ago. So now you know, I do take my weekend semi off, but I work a lot. But at least it's work that I've chosen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I get to look and say, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: I do want to do this, so I know I don't want to glamorize like entrepreneurship is hard.
Speaker 2: It's hell. Every other week.
Speaker 1: I'm like, so, you know what, Circle time seems real cute right about now, ABCD because it's hard.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's hard, really really really hard, and it's a lot of work. And I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: You have two kids, it's gonna be a lot of time away from them, even if you're in the same house. With them because you're going to be putting so much work into the business, so just to prepare you for that, and that's okay, But I just want you to just know that I think people think that you know, be an entrepreneur, like because you see those I'm sure you've seen No Mandy like those ads where it's like, do you want to be making money while on a private island?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bs.
Speaker 3: I think I've sufficiently blocked those from Instagram. I'm like, don't ever should this again?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why you never see me like as a budget these days, you see. I never say I'm going to teach you how to be a millionaire, because I'm not saying it's not possible for you to become a millionaire, but the average person is likely not going to. But what I can one hundred percent teach you is how to have the financial fundamentals. I could teach you how to budget and save and those things because the millionaire aspect, one you might not need that much in order to live the life that you so desire, and two you might decide, like, for example, for myself, I've been really evaluating that now that I've gotten to a certain place I want to switch from media, I was saying. I tweeted the other day, like I want to switch from two thousand, two thousand to twenty twenty jay Z within the next five years.
Speaker 2: So two thousand jay Z was like the top of the charts, like.
Speaker 1: You know, hit song after hit song, and I remember seeing an interview where he said, that's really stressful because you always have to have the new hot ish, you know. But twenty twenty jay Z, he's a lot more behind the scenes. He doesn't have to perform, but he has a lot more business interest and so that's that's the move that I'm making within the next five years for budget Neista is then you see less of Tiffany certainly Budgetista a literature academy, you know, like Molly Moore get it with money, all of my things, but less of me as a personality and just me more so behind the scenes, like making business happen because it's a lot less pressure. I don't have to be the new hot thing all the time. So just keeping that in mind too, that it's a lot of pressure in the beginning. But like I said, I would not literally never choose anything else because it's afforded me the opportunity to do things that I never would imagine, buying my house in cash, paying off my parents' house in cash, paying off my still a loan in cash, being able to support family and friends when they were struggling. I mean support support like I paid your rent for two year. Support, you know, like being able to set aside for my nieces and my nephew, making sure that college is on me, and your first car it's on me.
Speaker 2: We got it.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's there's a lot of trade off, but to me, it's worth it.
Speaker 3: Remember that time he said you weren't ready to write a book an entrepreneurs, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I wasn't gonna do it, but we hear it.
Speaker 1: Okay, But honestly, after get Going with Money, cha, I'm not gonna lie. I gave my heart and soul to that book. If y'all have not pre ordered it, don't maybe strangle you. As hard as I work on Geko with Money, gek Good with Money dot Com, you better pre order.
Speaker 2: It because I put so much effort.
Speaker 1: Honestly, maybe one day we'll do an episode about like what it is to like, you know, write a book, Mandy.
Speaker 2: No one told me like.
Speaker 1: It's one thing to write it. That part was hard, girl. This marketing it and to kill me.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, it's so much worked. Though.
Speaker 1: Even if you have like I'm under Penguin, you have a major publisher, the level of work, it's literally like I've got I've got like five full time jobs.
Speaker 2: I'm the CEO of the Literature Academy. Okay. Then this book, you know, the marketing, the marketing market for the next month and a half. Okay. Then Molly Moore.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if I told you, but my my children's book, Molly Moore. I wrote a treatment for it, and we have a couple of production companies that are interested in turning into a children's show that you know, exciting.
Speaker 2: But still work.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Then on top of all the behind the scenes, I still got to get on and be like, hello, my name is imagine this son, and here's five ways to fix your credit. Carl, Like, there are days when I'm like, I don't know if I'm coming or going, and so it's it's it could be. I mean, thank god, I've got the most patient husband, because I you know, it's a lot, and so I'm looking to reduce the a lotness of it all. And because I just that, you won't see me write another book, like a major book like this for a very long time. Although they've been asking me, I'm like, Sis, if you don't get out of my face, I'm not doing it. It's I mean, I want to be married. You know, I'm still trying to have this baby. You know, I got to have to have soldier surgery like next week. It's something I won't say it's light, but it's like the same day surgery for like my shoulder that I pulled.
Speaker 2: And like I got it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wait, okay, so I'll just see an end of the day before I was like, no, after I'll do you know, I'll do today's so after after can you imagine? Like, no, Sis, it's entrepreneurship once you get deep into it. It's not for the faint of heart, like I hate when people make it seem it's super glamorous.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Like I I'm tired half the time, and I definitely work too much. I know that, but I honestly I don't know how to not work too much because it's got to get done. You know, there is no off button if I don't make sure it's done.
Speaker 2: And I have an amazing team.
Speaker 1: When I say an amazing team, an amazing team, but they still need to be led, you know. So like at the end of the day, you know, I you know, I put in. I put in the work that's required for the level of success that I'm wanting. But lately I've been asking myself, is this enough? And I'm like almost basically like yeah, I mean, one hundred million sounds cute, But I don't think I got.
Speaker 3: That in me.
Speaker 2: I don't think I got that in me.
Speaker 1: I think, like, yo, between twenty and fifty million, I'm good because I'm like, I want to actually have friends, and I want to stay in love with my husband. I want to have a baby, and so there's you know, there's a lot that you give up when you when you strike out on your own. It's not for everyone, it's not and it's okay to have just a dope job that you love. Honestly, I loved teaching preschool, and I still would have retired on time if I taught preschool because I was investing my money, I was saving, I was living under my means. I had a condo. Then, you know, like I loved teaching preschool. So don't feel bad about, you know, not joining the entrepreneur rank because a lot of parts of its sucky over here.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot of benefits, but there's a lot that sucks.
Speaker 1: Like I definitely had less pressure when I taught pre school. Well, I mean, like it was the babies, we got to play at the park, seeing our ABC's eat snack and I was done at three and you know, I got my summers off. There's something to be said for having a job that you like. So I'm definitely not here to be like I'll be an entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, do.
Speaker 1: What you think is right for you know that there's benefits and there's there's benefits and detriments to to both sides.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's also levels. I mean, it's not like it's either you know it's zero or you are like at the budget needs to level of like multi businesses, like an entrepreneur can mean so many different things. You know, maybe it's starting your own bakery or starting your photography business. I know a lot of great people who run their shit and do their you know, do their small business and they are you know, they have that balance that they're looking for, and it gives them their freedom. I mean, it's always the hustle, right, because you're always in charge of your own destiny. But yeah, I think that transparency is needed so that people can see. I mean I have watched, you know, for so long you grow and build, the budget needs to empire. I feel like I've had a really good perspective of it's not been. It is not sunshine and roses. But I think that just makes it all the more impressive that you know you've built what you've built and continued to build. Yeah, but what is what what does Coach Green say about all this? I kind of feel like this is a moment where I'm like, maybe this is a coaching yes, Like.
Speaker 1: No, honestly, well, she always asked me, like we'en not for those of y' all who are just joining us. Coach Green is my coach. She's a therapist, but she's not my therapist, but she's a coach. She has a coaching program, she's amazing as with cis the Locks, just like mine. So she is always the reason why, quite honestly and transparently, I hired Coach Green because I felt out of touch with joy. I told her there was a moment where I felt like I was at this amazing restaurant and I know the ambiance was great.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the food smells great, and it was like.
Speaker 1: The five star food, and I could taste none of it, I could hear none of it, I could smell none of it. That I knew that my life was good, but I couldn't feel that my life was good, and it scared me. And it wasn't until I didn't even know. It wasn't the joy part that scared me. It was the fact that I also couldn't feel the sadness. Something happened that was like genuinely sad and I was mentioning it to a friend and she was like, wait what, Tiffany, Like that's are you okay about it? And I was like yeah, she's like you're talking about it like you're just like, yeah, girl, they didn't have my cornflakes at stop and shop, but you know there's always a shop, right, And it was then that it clicked, like, Tiffany, you're not feeling you know, like you're not feeling joy and you're not feeling sadness. What happened it's almost like I lost my tents of my sense of taste and smell as related to my emotion. And if you know me, I'm actually a pretty big cry baby. I'm somebody who feels deeply. And then all of a sudden I stopped. And so that's why I high doctor Green. I thought I needed like I well, originally I hired Stephanie, my therapist, the therapist coach that y'all done, like, uh and if you need.
Speaker 2: A therapist coach, not therapist coach, therapist finder? What was that?
Speaker 1: Navvy psych? I can think it's like nav navsyke something like that. Stephanie's amazing. So I met with her and told her like, Okay, I think I need a therapist. I have not had win a number of years. I really need, you know, to help navigate and find a therapist. It's navy psych nav I ps y h.
Speaker 2: So Stephanie was.
Speaker 1: The one who was like, honestly, Tiffany, from what I'm hearing from you, you actually worked out of a lot of your past issues. Because therapy typically is to help you resolve your past things, and coaching is to help you resolve your current and future things.
Speaker 2: And she said it actually sounds like you might need coaching more.
Speaker 1: So she looks, she looked, she looked in and she found doctor Green, who is a therapist, but she's based in Georgia, so she actually can't be my therapist here in Jersey, but she could be my coach. And she's been amazing and we've just been working on it. And I have to say, honestly, within the first it's been a couple of months, I had been feeling not one hundred percent, but I would say right now I'm a seventy five percent of regaining that joy and like really figuring out why is it that I was out of alignment. It was not because of the joy component, but because there was so much going on that I had there was a defense mechanism of like not wanting to feel the sadness, you know, So as a result of turning that off, when you turn that off, you also turn off your capacity to feel joy, you know, and not really honestly, not the sadness of work.
Speaker 2: Not the sadness I mean, because I've been struggling with how do you know, I've been struggling.
Speaker 5: With fortunity, and I'm really worried the might that never have a baby, So I have not wanted to feel this.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I have not even cried about it. I'm actually surprise I'm crying now.
Speaker 1: This is a test, submit to doctor Green that I'm actually able to cry about it because I have not allowed myself to because I don't want to feel it. And as a result, though I have not been as joyful because I have not wanted to be sad. So, you know, it's hard, honestly, because like I can honestly say.
Speaker 2: That I have a really good life.
Speaker 1: For like me and Superman and my husband, we have never been closer, like it's been really great. Like I didn't grow up with like the best relationship with my parents just because I was like I don't know, I wasn't like some wild kid, but I was quote unquote Nigerian wild. Like you know, I'm not getting the best grades and so but you know, but we have such a great relationship now, Like I've always had a good relationship with my sisters. It's only even Brett closer now than ever before.
Speaker 2: Like so I have to say that, like other than that, my life is really good.
Speaker 1: So sometimes I feel guilty about feeling said about that part you know the Denisa is doing well. I mean, is it a lot of work at the Buzzanisa. Yeah, But honestly, like, I've got an amazing team full of black and brown women mostly who just are so supportive.
Speaker 2: And loving and kind. I mean, I have a really good life. But there's that part.
Speaker 1: So I've not been wanted to feel bad because you will hear me like I mean, if you listen to a past like past podcast episodes, like when I'm talking about fertility and how matter of fact I've sound, it's because I wasn't allowing myself to feel the sadness and the disappointment. So as a result, I have not been able to feel the joy of what is already here, and so that's why I hired doctor green Is so I can feel again. But this part sucks because who the hell wants to feel sad?
Speaker 2: I don't, you know?
Speaker 1: So yeah, but I mean I'm grateful for it either way, because me actually crying now is good because it means that she's actually like I can honestly say, Mandy, I mean, I've had it's been almost three years. I've had probably like ten different surgeries, fibert surgery, scar move surgery like four different, I mean, and then I've had two miscarriages and like at least five or six transfers that and I have not worked transfers or when they put the baby inside you and hope that girls, it has not so like it's been a lot. And I can honestly say, Mandy, in the three years, I've not cried, you know. So the fact that I'm crying now means it's a testament to doctor Green's work because it means that like I'm allowing myself to feel again, which means that I can also feel joy again.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just.
Speaker 1: I know, excuse me. It's like happy, happy, go lucky tippy. And honestly, I am happy. But it's hard, you know, because I see like my because you feel like.
Speaker 2: Damn, what's wrong with me?
Speaker 1: You know, like my mom has five kids, and honestly, I just always just assumed they're like, well, girl, you know, like of course you're going to be able to have kids, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm forty one now, so it's not like, oh, well girl, yeah, like ten more years, I don't. I don't I have one good embryo left, and if this doesn't work.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm having a hard time finding words to say because I love you so much. I think I'm just I'm proud, but I'm also you know, I think it's poignant to talk about the pain and the joy. And earlier we kind of joked about how we can always find it like we always have a sense of humor even when you know life is dragging you as a black woman in this country. But I feel like it's so true. Until you can allow yourself to know what pain is, and to understand what pain is, I mean, that opens you up to also understand what the joy is like. And I mean, obviously have some mu should be joyful and grateful about, but sitting with those feelings, those uncomfortable feelings, is a muscle that a lot of people don't know how to flex. And I do. I feel like a lot of a lot, a lot a lot of folks out there are in a moment where they're avoiding that feeling. They're avoiding the thoughts or avoiding the pain. And I think this pandemic honestly has has removed some of those mechanisms that we would use to you know, move on or stay, you know, be busy or avoid certain feelings and things like that. And I'm just really glad that it's led you in this direction to get the coaching that is being so like fulfilling in opening you up and I think letting you access a different level of just hopefully joy and well, thank you for sharing that. And I know you're not alone. You have to know you're not alone, and it doesn't make it easier in your struggle probably, but I know that you sharing this is powerful, and you know, I hope that people are listening and nodding their heads and there is no shame. There is absolutely no shame in what you're going through and you're not alone. And I just virtual hug hu no.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you, Mandy, And it has opened up the joy because I've been feeling like way more Like I was just looking at my husband Jill the other day and I was just like.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, I really really really love him.
Speaker 1: And I mean I've always loved him obviously, but I realized that feeling I was feeling was that flood of like, oh, this is what you've been locked out of, this like intense feeling of like joy of love for him because I was not allowing myself to feel the other side. So it just I mean, as much as it's hard to feel this part, it also means I get the other part. So for those of you who are listening, I'm sure, like if you're anything like me, when I hear somebody else crying, I'm like, well, I guess I'm crying, dude.
Speaker 3: But now I have a cold, dead heart.
Speaker 1: But I do hope that you know, and I share that to be transparent because I want one you know that I think it's important for you to see that we're not perfect over here, you know, like it's not you know, for yourself, right, Like I just was always like so like I was appreciative when you shared how hard it is when Rio came and you were like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think this it's too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the worst, you.
Speaker 2: Know, that it was too much.
Speaker 1: And I think that was really I think it's important that women, especially share like the range of what it looks like, you know, because you can look at Mandy and being like, I mean, what you've done, like you know, joining ally and like that's a huge position. That's that's huge, especially at such a young age. But it doesn't mean that Mandy doesn't have struggles. And what I've been able to do at the as the budgetista, you've gotten to see us both grow up if you've listened. But it doesn't mean that I also don't have struggles. So whatever is happening in your life, like it's just there's just a range and hopefully you'll be able to feel the fullness of that range.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think pain is power too. I think it also makes you more empathetic. I don't know how, And you know, I think about Biden being in the White House and how much pain he's gone through personally and how he's always shared that and his compassion and empathy, and that's what we need more of. So I'm all for it, I think. I mean not to be too corny, but pain is the privilege in a way, because it means that you're still here, you know, to be in pain, to have the privilege of waking up each day regardless of what's going on. You know, you you know, every day we have a chance to be here and to put our best foot forward. And some days are bad and some days are good. But I think on the worst days, when you're feeling your lowest. The one thing that the mantra for me is that this is not forever. You know, today, we'll you know, if we're a privileged we'll have another day. And this feeling that I have right now of hopelessness or stress or anxiety or pain, it won't last forever. And there's you have to see it and sit with it. But you can look at it and sort of for me, let it pass, you know, let it wave over you, and then you'll, you know, hopefully hopefully get to a more joyful and happy place and if that wave comes back, it will pass. But it's not about ignoring it. It's just sort of like writing it and letting it and letting the pain hit you so that then you can really and you see it every day in your work, you know, you can look at people and what they're going through and you can look in their eyes and maybe it's not the same pain, the same struggle, but we're all just doing our damn best. Yeah, I'll just doing the best we can, and we got to be there for each other. We have to, so paining joy you can share it here, you know that. Yeah, I know a mandra and my eyes suggest getting a ten dollars Strobe Light for just any room in your house, because honestly, it's the best ten dollars I've ever sent. And I don't care if someone needs to take away my Amazon credit card, but ten dollars. So much joy that's going on.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing because you know Superman don't bought a stroke light.
Speaker 3: Right he did? Okay? Yeah, but anything it means Superman need to have a party, like a virtual Strobe light party. It is, so it's the best. Yeah, put that stroke light. He danced with a baby for like two hours on Friday. I'm gonna do it after the show.
Speaker 1: Ya, we have these. He put it in the basement is too, And there's one that is it is yours like voice or noise activated.
Speaker 3: Like if you clapa, Yes, of course he got one.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I swear, you know. It's so funny how there are like patents in your life. I look at the people that like I really connect and click with the most, and how similar So many of my friends are like you, like you Superman, my friend Rihanna, like my friend Cabrel. There's so many similar personality traits, you know, and like this, like you know, like what I love so much about you, Mandy. Is that you because I'm someone who's like this people pleaser, but I always feel that you are just always so clear.
Speaker 3: And concite people and firms.
Speaker 1: I know you have your times, but you know what I mean, like to me as a that I'm someone who avoids confrontation and you're like, no, I'm okay with you know, because I rather be said and done. And when I look at Superman, my husband, I look at my friend Rihanna, when I look at you, when I look at Cabrell, I see that and I see that I'm surrounding myself with like just these amazing people that I'm better as a result of.
Speaker 2: And so just the fact that you.
Speaker 1: Have a stroke, like like Superman, I'm like, of course Mandy does, because.
Speaker 2: That is so.
Speaker 3: Ten dollars you can have your own. The thing is we've been going out of our homes to get everything that we need. And I know, Tiffany you were saying that you're like hitting a wall and you want to be out there. I've never felt more like this is all I need, everything I need in the entire world in this house. If I can't get it Amazon, I can see I've got the clothes, I got the booze, I got good food. I have my cousin who I adore, I have my us Like, I cannot wait for my.
Speaker 1: What's it called it, my bike, my my peloton. I'm like, I feel like that's going to just bring a little extra juice in the house. So I can't wait for them.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're gonna get a pelotone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I told you.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell you I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 3: I thought you were thinking about it. I didn't know. Yes, I was like, you know, I want to get there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna get a penalts because I'm like, you know, I just love it.
Speaker 1: I'm excited because I just feel like, you know, I already use my treadmill fairly regularly, but I'm like, I think it would just be fun to have like a bike that will you know, where I can connect with other people.
Speaker 2: I've heard like the peloton groups are amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes BGM Black Girl Magic.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've heard that one. My friend Logan, my coworker.
Speaker 3: The funniest group of black women in the entire country in the Facebook group. I cannot these all these women I love.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited about that. I know this was a long question of segment.
Speaker 2: That's good though.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's a good like a question segment and we can.
Speaker 3: Right Jane, are you okay? That's your name? Did you get everything you came for?
Speaker 2: Jane James? Like that and a whole lot more and.
Speaker 3: A whole now. I love it. Well, thank y'all again for the question. That's that's it for our question segment. Let's take a quick, quick, quick, little break and then we'll come back and do a booster break.
Speaker 2: And we're back with a boost or a break. Are you going to boost? Managar, are you going to break?
Speaker 3: I'm going to boost because I feel like we need some yes, because well listen, I you know I could break. There's plenty to break about, but boosting. I just said it, like, I really feel like my home has become this sanctuary. And I have made the basement a dark, dismal basement with like storage and stuff. And I saw our household going towards like the stuff accumulation track, and I'm like, noop nipping that in the bud. So we did a big basement cleanup and it is officially zen Den and I am freaking stoked. And I'm so I'm like kind of annoyed at myself that it took me a year to claim the space for myself. But now that it's now that I've done it, I'm like, why did I do this sooner? I come down here during the day to just sit in my nice cushy armchair and just listen to music or turn on my strobe light and just dance it out because I can. Because there's cause you can, And like being in your thirties is the best, like being professional, and just like I can do my job and then I can play and have a good time and I can do both things. And just I'm trying to access little small moments of joy like that, like let me just have some space for myself, spend the money that I work so hard to spend on something that feeds my soul and not stuff. But can How could clearing out this basement and getting rid of stuff and just giving me more space to breathe it just has. It has made me immensely more happy this past week, just having a door I can close and come down here and get some work done. We painted the walls and it wasn't that expensive. You know, maybe I've spent one thousand dollars tops just for like furniture and paint. And you know, we got a cool curtain that just kind of covers up the two shelves I allowed my husband to keep for storage. And you know, we put a little bit of like flooring down, I mean a rug. It wasn't crazy amounts of money. And the time that my husband put into like installing outlets for me so I can plug in my desk and you know, I love him for that. But I'm very, very happy with the Zenden and I'm gonna have to do I'm gonna post on installater like the before night.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I want to see.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's a work in progress, but she's mine and I can't wait. I can't wait. I'm gonna do bookshelves and like a little I want to I kind of want to do like a little love seat. Maybe I can just like take a nap, you know once in a while. Yeah, I love it. I'm so so happy. And you know, honestly, if I hadn't been banging around my house the past year, just like banging my head off the walls looking for you know, complaining about how no one gives me any privacy and how I'm always accessible to the baby and to my husband. Listen, no one was going to fix that problem. I had to just do it myself. So I am very happy.
Speaker 1: Now good I am. I'm gonna do like a little boosts and a bigger boost. So a little boost. I bought a Ninja, one of those blenders.
Speaker 2: Girls.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know what, I need to eat more vegetables, but sometimes I just don't feel like eating vegetables, so I.
Speaker 3: Just want to like suck them down. Yes, And I was like so all that chewing.
Speaker 2: Yes, So like Ninja has like this.
Speaker 1: It's literally like it's like the the width of like I guess, the palm of your hand.
Speaker 2: It's really short.
Speaker 1: It's literally just for blending like smoothies, but you can make it like also I think like butter and like I mean and like ice cream or whatever. Because it's just this small little base and then you put the cup on top. And because I don't like to clean the big old blender because I was doing that before and I just stopped making sweat of these as a result. But this is literally just put the cup on top, blend your stuff and it has been everything the whole house. Supergirl has been so into it because we're trying to get her to eat more vegetables, and so we told her, like, at the very least, if you're not gonna eat them, you have to drink them. So she makes a smoothie for herself every day, and it's been loving it. I have to say I love when I say I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. Amazon brought that to my house, so that was joy.
Speaker 1: Then we didn't really talk about but we could just say, hey, Whitney right, youngest self made billionaire with bumble Bumble went the ipode right.
Speaker 2: Oh did you?
Speaker 3: Was like Whitney who Houston?
Speaker 2: No you did you buy any?
Speaker 3: And I did not buy any bumble stock. I read about it. Should I buy some bumble stock?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I mean that's why I'm a terrible stock trader. I just I read about it and I forget, like I don't know, I need to set alerts for myself. No, I did not buy any bumble.
Speaker 1: But what I really love is that this is like the comebacks story of all comeback story. So if you don't know about bumble, so Bumble is like this social dating app where women get to make the first move. But I love about Bumble. It's like there's like you can make like business connections. You could do Bumble best friend. We could just look for friendship. But what happened was that she was early I think she was one of the co founders of Tender or an early executive of Tender. I think she was like dating one of the.
Speaker 3: Gods Tender, right, yeah, and they basic, yeah, she had like it was a bad falling out, yeah, bad scandal.
Speaker 1: And then they but they really kind of like shamed her, like sexually shamed her, like in the in the in the Silicon Valley streets. It was really ugly. Then she went off to make Bumble. And now, I mean, I don't know that there's any not that obviously she's not doing this for payback because who cares about them? But I just love the fact that, like like the Phoenix, she writes from the ashes and created this amazing company where it's safe for women, And so I just, yeah, Bumble, she's a badass, and I love that she's like she's a new mom.
Speaker 2: She's thirty one years old.
Speaker 1: Not to say if you're forty or fifty or sixty, that's too late fifty to do anything amazing. But I just love the fact that this is someone who was counted out after she was pushed out of something that she helped to make great, and they thought that they had taken her greatness, but she took it with her and Bumble is proof positive of that.
Speaker 2: So Whitney Wolf, we salute to girl. So that's just awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh fabulous. Well, I love I love hearing that context too, of her her greater story all much. I got bumble? I mean, yeah, bumble. What's the new? Is that the new dating? That's like a one that's the one where women get to invite the man first, right, Okay, I love bumble because my one of my good girlfriends, she like used bumble to meet friends in the city, which I thought was just a stroke of brilliance because yeah, we're not all trying to hook up, and women love meeting. Women like to make friends in connections. So I love it. Yeah, is your did your sister post about it? And your secret and your secret stock?
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, what's she's like. She's a lot more conservative than people think she. She probably would say, let's wait and see, she's not really huge on ip.
Speaker 2: Well that's not true.
Speaker 1: She's more into, like I don't know, I feel like physical technology because she's an engineer.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm gonna ask.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Caroen, what you think about bombu because she didn't mention it surprisingly.
Speaker 3: Enough that to me is like, I mean, I like to if I know something really deeply, I'll buy shares or you know, something like that. But my little brother, he cracked me up just a quick side. He'd texted me. He's like, dang, Mandy, I invested in this weed company that my friends were talking about. And I guess weed stocks had a huge week last week because I don't even remember why, some legislation or something like that. And he made two thousand dollars I think in overnight. And he's like, man, I made two thousand dollars. And I was like, I need you to quickly. I was working and I was busy, and I'm like, just google unrealized gains right, and just just like just because because he's like, I learned what a stock was today and I'm like, okay, oh my.
Speaker 2: I love it. Can you tell the people what unrealized gains so that way they know, well.
Speaker 3: When people say, oh, I made X amount of money on a stock. That basically means, you know, I bought it for one dollar and then at the end of the day the stock was valued by Wall Street for ten dollars and so I made you know, ten x my one dollar. Cool, But did you make it like it's in your bank? No, it's unrealized, which means until you cash out sell the stock and then you know, take that money and bank it, you haven't really realized it. And then there's all we talked about it, you know in a couple episodes ago when we're talking about game Stop. But there is a there's a tax element, and not to say that, of course, making money you're gonna pay money because taxes, but doesn't mean that you shouldn't make that money. It's amazing. You know, my brother made two K and even if Uncle Sam takes forty percent, cool, He's still made you know, a nice chunk of change just by investing. But I just feel like all the yeah, you just you should realize, you know, when you are trading, you know, you don't really make that You don't really make that money until you you know, cash it out, and then even then it's about a long term you know, it's a long term view for me. So yeah, maybe Alex made two K on his weed stock on Tuesday last week, but where is he going to be in fifteen years? I don't know, you know, so it kind of yeah, so you're investing, just just think about that. And he and he's joking about not knowing about stocks. I mean, he may not know about like trading individual stocks, but that man has had a four to one k for a long time. Like he at least just got in, opened his four one k, put his little ten percent in and you know he's been cruising. So playing with money in the stock market on top of that's gravy, Like that's icing on the cake.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's so. I just heard back from Carol. I'll say, what do you think about Bumble?
Speaker 2: She's liked I like them.
Speaker 1: She did an episode on that podcast How I Built It. She said all dating apps are going to continue to do well now that everyone is stuck at home.
Speaker 2: Look at her with her insight.
Speaker 1: So I'm not saying buy Bumble, but what I am saying that it might actually if you are into investing. That So that's the kind of insight you're looking for, Like, huh, Now that we're home, more people are likely going to be connecting online. Are there other stocks I might look into of companies you know that would care two folks who are looking for connection. That's how you really start to choose stocks that you're looking for some sort of trend, and then you will look at the companies financials to back up that trend.
Speaker 3: I love an ETF, and I think what I love most about ETFs right now exchange traded funds is that if there's a certain company that I'm a fan of, there's probably an ETF that contains shares of that fun I mean. And ETF is basically a fund that holds, you know, different stocks from different companies, not a ton, but you know the like the top the top holders, and you know, the top the biggest part of an ETF might be like ten companies. And like, I invested in an ETF called the Arc Innovation ETF. This is me personally just because I, you know, tech, big tech companies like Zoom and Slack and Tesla and other companies did like amazing to say the least this year, and for me, instead of having to choose one stock, and ETF made sense because you can trade them like stocks, but you're actually buying pieces of several companies and it's less work. So I am my baby cousin who I've been kind of coaching lately. She's she loves cosmetics, and I was like, yeah, I know, there's like a cosmetic ETF out there, Like she's spending all her money at Alta and whatever. And I'm like, where's it, where's it? Where's an ETF? And like, what is the name of the the parent company of all these brands And it's like somehow it's Louis Bouton. I don't know, it's LM v H. And I'm just looking through and I'm like, this is a great you know, if you love a certain like if you're into electronics, or you're into beauty or you're into I don't know, energy, there's there's an ETF for everybody. And I think that that's that's my that's my you know, investing.
Speaker 1: No, No, I agree, because I'm not a like individual. I mean, I've done well just because I just did what Carol told me. But I'm taking my money and I'm running. But no, I am a ETF uh uh, you know index fund fan myself because I'm I don't have time to do the research. I much rather get a basket of like of investments and then just kind of ride that weave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And I think people criticize, you know, the big indexes like SNP five hundred index funds, because well they can criticize it because you're only ever going to do as good as like the general market does, and you won't get the big gains if like one sector in that market particularly performs well. So if you invest in a ETF that tracks a certain sector, like a certain industry, then you're you're more likely to to ride their high waves on top, you know, and outperform the S and P. So that's just that's that's on that. But I still, I still my my biggest holding is that S and P index fund through Vanguard, and then I have my additional brokerage account and that's where I kind of pick and I pick little ETFs or I'll you know, buy a stock there by a stock there, But I'm not anybody got time for it not here. Anyway, Today was a good one. Shall we call it a show? We laughed, we cried, key, no.
Speaker 1: We felt joy, sadness, everything in between. Anchor oh, we had all the emotions.
Speaker 3: So when you get your peloton, you're gonna have the strobe light just like me. And then when they play the music and the light is like the section.
Speaker 2: I didn't even realize.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my gosh, wow, and that's the best.
Speaker 2: But now I'm like, wait, that is going to be such a vibe. Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Have your own little party down there. You got it, and then you can we'll we'll have to work on our leader board names. Well, of course she'll be the budgetesta. I'm brown ambition on Pello. If you guys want to follow, Yeah, I'm excited. How long is it going to take for your bike to get there?
Speaker 1: Though, that's if you know forever I ordered it, I want to say a few weeks ago and they basically told me there was like a ninety day.
Speaker 2: It was something too ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, but that's okay though, because I'm like committed to you know, I want to. I think, if anything, pandemic has taught me that you have to have things at home because you just don't know, you know. I actually like going outside and going for walks and things like that. But if I'm not able to. I like having something at home as well. And I love the fact that Supergirl I hear her like on the phone walking on the treadmill. So because she doesn't, you know, she's fourteen, so there's no gym for her, you know, and so like, you know, like at school, like she would normally get exercise because she would be walking to class and walking up the steps and going to gym class. And the fact that she's not getting that, we're like, oh, we want her to stretch her legs. So she goes on a treadmill, just off her own free will, just to kind of like walk and like watch whatever show she's totally into right now. And so there's it's just nice to have exercise in the house if you're able.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And there's a YouTube video for everything.
Speaker 1: If you don't have machines, yes, if you have steps, just walk up and down to math or your booty will be lifted.
Speaker 3: Okay, sane, All right, darling, We'll go get some I don't know, relax, I hope you can relax or are you doing a nine pm Instagram?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm about to make myself a smoothie.
Speaker 3: My new ninja make a smoothie, hug your boo. All right, thanks for opening up. I really I love you a lot and thinking about you always, and I know everyone who listens is to
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, all right, Bye Tiv, all right, bye bye