Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 5: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 3: It is Wednesday, November sixth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number sixty three. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from the WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one o ED TV brand for eleven years and counting. See why at LG dot Com, Forward slash o led evo. How's everybody doing today?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 6: Awesome?
Speaker 3: Less jump in, lots of topics for us to hit today. We're going to jump into the breakdown between the Cowboys and the Eagles, so they were focusing on the Eagles offense versus the Dallas defense. But before we get there, I want to start first with a couple of roster moves that happened yesterday. Dallas releases Jordan Phillips and Andrew Booth. My question is more around Jordan Phillips. Why do you think they made the move to get rid of Phillips at this point, knowing that the defensive tackle position is what it is for this team and if nothing more, nothing else, he was still a body that maybe you could throw in there and see what you could get out of him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely a lot of discourse around whenever he went on the injured reserve list for his wrist issue that he was battling. I mean, it was a rist issue that he had suffered in the Dallas game last year when he was playing for Buffalo, had surgery on it and you know, didn't look necessarily one in the first couple of games of the season, Cowboys put him on IR.
Speaker 6: He disagreed with it.
Speaker 7: Sure, that disagreement, you know, led to a few more disagreements and eventually yesterday's conclusion and he's back in Buffalo today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a quick move from Buffalo to to then go out and sign him and bring him back into the team.
Speaker 8: So never felt more wrong about a player watching tape than him. Kind of felt like when we saw him in the preseason or when I saw him that here's a guy. You watched him play against Dallas, You watched him play against the Commanders, watched the play against the Eagles, Chiefs, other teams. Guy was a very productive player. Guy was active. Guy was a three technique. Guy was playing on the side of the line of scrimmage. Guy was given Tyrone Smith problems, you know when he lined up a little wide against him a couple of times.
Speaker 2: That one was really strange to me.
Speaker 8: That that that that that shakes you a little bit when you look at a player and you feel like, you know, obviously they felt like, you know, he was with the Giants. The Giants weren't playing him, They had Giants had a lot of young defensive tackles. Maybe should have probably known something then what was going on. But clearly won the same player and I but I never felt like I really got out of a really good view of him here. But you know, Mike Zimmer front of office, all those guys, I mean, they quickly moved on. And so that's when it shakes you a little bit, because you're watching a player and you're thinking, Okay, this guy's got a shot because he can do these he has these kinds of traits and when none of that shows up, then you're you're like, man, did I really miss this player that bad? And I think there have some questions if they missed that player that bad too?
Speaker 3: Can I throw this thought out there?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: In your experience? Have you seen situations like this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: In your experience, have you seen situations like this where it wasn't that the player was different. It was what he was being asked to do that was different.
Speaker 8: You know what I when I was in pro personnel, I always had an idea what we were trying to do. I always had an idea what we were trying to.
Speaker 2: Do scheme wise.
Speaker 8: So sometimes you know, you're like, Okay, this guy has these traits and this trait, and you know, I was thinking maybe this guy would play one technique. You know, he's a big guy. I mean it was you know he but he was so active in the way he played. Everybody's like, no, he's going to play the three. And I'm like, okay, great, you know that's that's fine. I mean, he's got some three technique traits to him. But you felt like that he could fit in, you know, as a rotational player. You know, maybe if he played him twenty twenty five snaps, and you know he could he could be part of that because of the things you saw pass rush, you saw quickness, you saw his ability to play outside the tackle box.
Speaker 2: Hell, he's probably.
Speaker 8: Gonna go to Buffalo and he's gonna probably help when them win a game against Kansas City or the Ravens or something, and you're gonna go, Okay, now, now I don't feel terrible.
Speaker 3: Now he's the guy you thought he was. He just didn't work.
Speaker 8: Out right, and maybe maybe you know, hey, when things go bad, you know, like you say, when you're a personal guy and you bring somebody in and it doesn't work out, you really want to hide.
Speaker 2: You don't want to go to lunch, You don't want to talk to anybody.
Speaker 8: You just you know, you you don't even just want to see the general manager. Yeah, you really don't, because you're just you're like, well, hey, we brought this guy in because you said he could play, and he can't play dead, you know, And that's the problem that you run into, you know, especially when the season is going bad. When the season starts to go bad, you just want to close your door and just watch tape and try and get to the next task because you're just you know, I mean, you know they traded, they gave a significant pick yesterday for a wide receiver. You know the pro department has a hand in that. I mean, you kind of feel like, boy, we're running some bad luck right now, or evaluations you're questioning. You're now starting to question a little bit about do we see these guys?
Speaker 2: Are we seeing these guys the right way? And that's a terrible feeling to have.
Speaker 9: Well, what makes it difficult, I think for me, is like, how do you truly judge a player when you see a collective group of people that are playing bad or not well or how you expect them, how do you give a proper judgment to where? What about what if it's me? What if I'm saying as far as staff, no, no, no, no, I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying I say that a lot.
Speaker 9: What I'm trying to say is, let's say this guy, right, they get rid of him and all of that. But then when you have so many other players on your defense, on your overall in the team that are playing bad, like, how do you how do you truly can get a full evaluation that maybe it's not the player, maybe it's your system. Maybe it's what you're doing. Yeah, that is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that's where you want to close the door, and you want to hope that at the end of the year that you still have a gig, that you still that you're not going out with you know, everybody else, because they're going to make an evaluation. They're going to say, hey, you know, you've had a lot of misses here, you know, or the coaches have done you know, coaches that if you're one of those scouts that have really evaluated and helped them bring guys in and players have played, you know, you get a little bit of a pass on that. But then the general manager has to evaluate, like you just said, the coaching, the scheme, all those things. I think all those things are up for debate at the end of the year, especially if you haven't had success. And I think these coaches know that, you know, I think that's the hard thing. And you know, unfortunately and fortunately on the same time, because of the injuries here, you don't have to ask this coach to play young players. He's already playing young players because of injury. So you're at least you're getting an ideas. You know, if you're going badly and you're doing it with veteran players and you weren't hurt, and you know, you would be like, any chance we could see lea foul play a little more, any chance we could see you know, you would go in there and ask a coach that when they're fighting for their job. Now, it's like you don't really have to do that because you're just seeing it. You're seeing But to your point, absolutely, they this front office, general managers, the director, player personnel, will all these guys need to evaluate what was the problem this year or what's been the problem through.
Speaker 2: Nine games this year? Yeah, and what I hope did we miss?
Speaker 3: What I hope is that it doesn't get boiled down to just injuries, because we all will remember, if we want to, that New Orleans game and you had a lot of guys out there for that game, and that game look like you were just getting You got destroyed by that by a not that good team, and a lot of that. When I look at it, and I'll point out a couple different units. I'll point out the defensive unit as a whole, I'll point out the offensive line, and I'll point out the receivers, and what you see in all those different groups is across the board, they just don't seem like they're performing up to the standard.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We've Troy Aikman talked about the receivers, We've talked about the offensive lines. Guys on that offensive line that we've been used to playing at a certain level that this year are well below that level. Right this defense that again, you expect a lot of these players individually to be playing above a certain level, but as a unit they're playing below it. I think those are instances where you have to ask what's going on with the coaching, what's going on with what they're being taught, what they're being asked to do, how they're being drilled, and the things they should do if they keep getting beat on the same thing. Are we drilling this enough in practice to where they see it enough to where they're making the adjustments. Those are all the questions that I have, And my guess is that the GM, the owner, the coach, head coach, the player personnel guys, everybody's going to be asking those kinds of questions as you start trying to dissect what's happening this season to this team.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think part of the question is also figuring out what else you have that has not played, you know, and try to figure that out over the course of the next nine games or however many are left. I think there's still there's still a lot of answers that need to be There are a lot of questions that need to be answered as far as the depth on this team. You know, we've talked about guys like Awesome Richards or marslefl or A. Gosh, I'm trying to think of some other guys that are that are around. I mean, if Jordan Phillips isn't playing, you're gonna see a lot more of Osa Digizua. Yeah, you might even see an opportunity for like a guy like Denzel Dackson maybe later down the season to get an elevation, you know. I mean, there's there's tons of possibilities. So there's still questions that could be answered by this evaluation staff. I mean, like, hey, at least we found that guy and he played in week fifteen, sixteen seventeen, and we can take that into next.
Speaker 6: Year a little bit of confidence.
Speaker 7: So I think there's still there's still a lot of left on the table.
Speaker 6: As far as what could be determined.
Speaker 8: Does does it worry you a little bit that maybe when you add.
Speaker 2: A wide receiver that they won't address a wide receiver in the draft? Yeah, that always scares the first part in my mind.
Speaker 8: That scares me a little bit when and I think it happened at running back. I think it happened at running back for sure. I think it happened when they had an idea that they were going to get Zeke back, you know, and it maybe it maybe it maybe your eye wasn't on the ball and you're thinking, Okay, we've got we've got Zeke, you know, and he's going to come back. Maybe we don't have to, you know, it turns into well, this guy is not as good as Zeke, or this guy is not as good as that. I'm talking about the draft picks. Yeah, you know, all of a sudden, he gets yeah, there's guys that are better. Then they start coming off the board, and then you're like, man, we need this linebacker more than we need this running back.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: And I understand why they when they got lea foul. I get it because we all talked about what the linebacker situation was last year they needed linebackers on.
Speaker 2: This team, and they ended up needing in this year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and to a man, they were talking about lea foul as a you know when they came in here when we were doing the draft coverage, the Draft show, with the Draft weekend, you could it was praise, praise, praise. The kid's a good player. I mean, he just has He's played in bass packages. They played a lot of bass when he's had opportunity. He's done okay, he's done okay on special teams. But then you kind of look at the situation. Did the thought about Zeke keep you or maybe even dabtle, did that keep you from really keeping your eye on the ball and trying to upgrade that position?
Speaker 7: You know what, when they were asked about it after each day in the press conferences and talking about hey so running back, Hey so running back, Jerry would bring so I think I think that's a direct point.
Speaker 3: But here's the flip side of that. I don't worry so much about that this year mainly because there is no position that if the Dallas Cowboys are on the clock and they're like, this is a better player, I'd be upset with them taking I don't think they go into this draft saying I need a receiver. If they do, they also should be saying I could take a tackle.
Speaker 2: I don't pressure guard take it. You know, you can go down the list, and so it's not one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So for me, I look at it and I'm not so worried about that. If it happens that you don't get a receiver but you got a safety, it happens that you got a corner, it happens that you got a tackle, if you get all those other positions, fine, you're not going to address everything this this draft.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: There are too many areas where you need talent and you need depth. So they're not going to address everything. So I'm comfortable with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just to me, it's it's it's funny.
Speaker 9: I don't want to great problem to have if you can take.
Speaker 8: Anybody like position, you know, I mean, but that also that that just shows you where you're.
Speaker 2: At a yeah, right, yeah you're not.
Speaker 3: That's a problem in it of itself.
Speaker 2: Right, you're you're not. You know you're not. Maybe you know you're maybe not.
Speaker 8: The commanders who makes it makes a big deal yesterday for a corner you know, they're feeling like, you know, if we're really if we're if we're really gonna be good at this, we're gonna we're one player away. Now, that may be completely wrong about that, because I think they got other issues too. But these teams that are these these teams like Detroit.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't got a pass rush, win't got a pass rusher. They you know, that's what you got to do. Got to go out and get that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, runds both sides of the ball.
Speaker 3: You said, the Ravens on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, I getting to receive random corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's also like again, I just think that's that's where those teams are right now, and it's I think, yeah, Dallas is not there. There's not in that same boat with those teams, obviously, I mean that's being captain obvious, but they're not there. Those teams are in positions where they are battling to see if they can get ahead of the next team because they think they got a legitimate shot.
Speaker 8: I just don't want this to turn in where they have you know, say you have ten picks. You know, now you've just moved on from one of those picks or the selections you have. I don't want it to turn into like, Okay, now we've got to use two more picks to get back in the forth, because we you know, and now you've used three picks too on one player basically, you know, and I and I, And.
Speaker 3: It's best if that player doesn't end up being and that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's going to have an opportunity to show up and see what he can do, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of that. I appreciate the fact they went and tried. I just don't like the compensation myself.
Speaker 2: That's just me.
Speaker 8: But you know, I hope it doesn't turn into, well, now we've now we can't get back in the fourth, and we didn't. Now we want to get back in the forth, and now you have to use picks, multiple picks to trade with somebody to get back in the forth. You know, now it turns into well, wait a minute, if you just wouldn't have made the trade, we'd had all our compliment conflidens of picks and we'd been just fine. But you know, if you if you end up having to trade two more picks just to get back in the round that that's going to be. You know, that's something I'm sure we're going to point out if that happens now on the Draft Show.
Speaker 3: Now, all right, let's take our first break. When we come back, we're gonna talk about the Eagles, will jump in, talk a little bit about what their team looks like over all, and then we'll get into the offense. We'll be back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Jack Black and right.
Speaker 12: Now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a four sized intense therapy with BAM. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 4: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 2: Of your car.
Speaker 4: You can take advantage of take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: From the field to the festivities. Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision. Each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Luke. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 9: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com slash oled E.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, second segment of the break left in SWBC Mortgage Studios. At the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Listening real quickly they're in the break. Mike McCarthy's doing his press conference. One thing he already mentioned a little bit of news. Says that DeMarcus Lawrence and Brandon Cooks neither will have their twenty one day practice windows open today, but he is optimistic about how both of them are progressing. That being tweeted by our own Tommy Yarsh Any surprises there that those guys aren't ready to kind of to be put back into the I guess open that twenty one day window.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think there's good news and bad news in that one sentence. The good news being that DeMarcus Lawrence is in the same sentence as Brandon Cooks. The bad news being that Brandon Cooks is in the same sentence as DeMarcus Lawrence. So because I didn't put them together exactly exactly, but I think.
Speaker 9: That goes to show never take an infection, not seriously, Like I cannot believe it has taken this long from Brendan Cooks to not come back. Like I imagine you get enough antibiotics in there in your body and then next thing you know, you're out here running. Man. That must have been a pretty bad infection.
Speaker 7: Some infections can be nagging and they can last time kill you. Yeah yeah, so yeah, definitely still Uh not only does he have to recover from that, but also from the knee itself that he had the injection to begin with. So and then DeMarcus Lawrence progressing well from his foot as well. So yeah, I think that's interesting.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's talk about the Eagles right now. They are six and two. They're second in the NFC East.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They have lost to the Atlanta Falcons. They lost twenty to twenty one, and lost to Tampa Bay back when Tampa Bay Bay was at full Tran. Tampa Bay has beating him the worst anybody has this year. They've beaten thirty three or sixteen.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: The only really key win that I've seen on their on their schedule was the one against Green Bay. Green Bay is six and three and leading their second in their division. Uh, they won that game thirty four to twenty nine. Day, yes, back in Week one, right exactly. But here's here's who who else they've beat. They've beat New Orleans two and seven. Cleveland, Yeah, they beat Cleveland, wo's two and seven. They beat the Giants who are two and seven. They beat Cincinnati, who's four and five. They beat Jacksonville, who's two and seven. My question for you is how good is this Eagles team? Because they really haven't beaten better teams. They've beaten a lot of bad teams. And again this is not about the Cowboys, because you would say the Cowboys are in the category with some of those other teams. But how good they are.
Speaker 2: For the Eagles to beat the Cowboys? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But how good is this Eagles team? Do you think?
Speaker 7: I think they are inconsistent and each game shows a little bit of a roller coaster. Now a team that has won four games in a row, why are they inconsistent?
Speaker 6: What are you saying?
Speaker 2: Nick?
Speaker 7: I am looking at four teams that are under five hundred at the moment, So I think at times you see the Eagles play their best and they're a rushing attack with the Jalen Hurds and Saquon Barkley, and they're tough and they're physical and they're mean, and then at their worst, they cannot they can't get off the field defensively, they can't get a first down offensively. Hurts makes bad decisions. It's it's an up and down roller coaster of a team. It's very similar to what we saw last year with certain things from that final stretch that the Eagles had last year refined in the sense that Hurts isn't making as poor of decisions. I think they're head coaches, but there's there's ye man, and when when Nick siri.
Speaker 2: Keep in a game, you will know, well, keep you in a game.
Speaker 6: It is It's wild.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know they Nick's absolutely right. The one thing is they are wildly inconsistent, though. I think I think sa Kuon Barkley, though, has made a huge difference for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's taken some pressure off Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know, they they've struggled with some injuries on this offensive line. They still got outstanding skill. They've struggled with injuries at the wide receiver spot.
Speaker 15: A J.
Speaker 8: Brown, you know, is currently dealing with a knee injury. Dallas Goddard's dealing with a hamstring injury. You know, they play a ton of twelve personnel, the two tight ends, one back. They're really that's something that you know, Kellen Moore is really is kind of uh gone to with this with this current group. Their offensive line at times, uh blocks really well in the running game. I mean, they do a good job of coming on off the ball, getting in the guys and then getting the second level.
Speaker 2: Their center.
Speaker 8: They tried to do the same things with like what they had with Kelsey, where if he's uncovered, they pull him out in space, they block everybody down. You know, there's there's a there's a lot of things to to kind of take from their from their offensive line and their scheme and the way that Kellen Moore is trying to run the ball. But I just think the biggest difference right here with this team is is the the addition of Sakuon Barkley. I think that that I think that's what makes this team tough for Dallas to have to deal with, because they they can you can hand him the ball and it's going to get to the edge and then it's going to get around you know, Dallas has played Saquon Barkley before, but it's every time he's not healthy. He he looks like the player that everybody thought he was going to be, uh when he first came in the league from Penn State. Every seems like we played with the Giants. That quarterback play wasn't good enough, The offensive line wasn't good enough, the receivers weren't good enough. I mean they they He's got guys around him where he doesn't have to completely carry the load, but he can.
Speaker 2: You know, he makes a lot of plays. He makes a lot of plays in the passing game.
Speaker 8: You know, they run wheel routes. They ran two real wheel routes to him. Both been touchdowns, you know. I mean they could throw him the ball, they can hand him the ball, They'll put him in the wildcat, they'll snap him the ball. You know, it's going to be a challenge for Dallas to have to stop this, stop this Philadelphia rushing attack in that way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Barkley is a difference maker completely. And not only has he been a big difference but that offensive line and they had to do a lot of shuffling this past offseason. I got to give them credit to Howie Roseman or whoever constructed that offensive line in the absence of a couple of guys. They did a really good job. Granted, I think there is a whole at left tackle that we'll probably get into here in a moment, but Barkley wasn't the only guy they went and got from New York. Makai Becton and has been really good in run block and I really like what he brings to the right guard position. He was a former for shround pick, played with the Jets for a while, never really found his footing, but it looks like he has found his footing in Philadelphia and he has been paving ways on the right side of that offensive line for Saquon Barkley, and Barkley's just finding a lot of room up front. Granted, I don't want to take anything away from Saquon Barkley because he's a talented runner. He's a physical runner. He's not a guy you want to bring down. But this offensive line has helped him out quite a bit too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, where they've been bad and Nick's absolute right about the running games, So they've been bad as some of the pass protection stuff, as you know, on the left side you know, Fred Johnson, who's stepped in for Jordan Mylotta, has given up some pressures, given up the most pressures of anybody you watch him play him Landon Dickerson on that left side over there, they got a couple guys. Beckton has been beat. The run stuff is really really good with Beckton coming off the ball, but he's a big guy, He's massive. His foot quickness at times has been a problem when people have run twist stunts and the same some of the stuff.
Speaker 2: That Dallas deals with.
Speaker 8: Dallas deals with they get too many guys locked on one guy. Beckten has trouble adjusting back and all of a sudden he has to He's he sets and he's now passing, but then he has to come back to get the twister. That's where you've watched the sacks and things and the pressures. That's where it's come from him and Landon Dickerson. I don't think they're very good foot athletes, you know, kind of bigger guys, especially Beckton, but they've got a really athletic center Lane Johnson's a very.
Speaker 2: Good athlete at right tackle.
Speaker 8: But there there are some there are some some cracks in this offensive line when it does come to some pass protection stuff.
Speaker 3: Is this a game where and I know this this was the case when the Cowboys played the forty nine Ers. I think it was Nick that you brought this idea at first, But is this a game where you tell your defensive ends I care a lot less about sacks, stay in your lanes, make sure you set the edge. Let's stop the run, because if you can stop the run, that's the biggest battle you'll have to battle with this this Eagles team.
Speaker 7: I lean a little bit differently this time around, just because of the athlete that Jalen Hurts is. And it's a healthy Jalen Hurts that we're seeing this year. It's a physical runner Jalen Hurts that we're seeing this year compared to last year, where I think that knee was bothering him quite a bit more than you know they led on I I I want to contain Jalen Hurts because I think Saquon can still get his and you can win that ball game. If this is a game where Michael Parsons comes back, throw him at left tackle and let him go go to work, I think this could be a really I think this could be an opportunity for him to really get some get some momentum, and get some sacks on Jalen Hurts. Contain the pocket. I would rather them contain the pocket than contain the run game. That's me personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is kind of a nightmare game for Parsons.
Speaker 8: Parsons has had some of his He's looked so bad playing the Eagles scheme wise, because they put him.
Speaker 2: In no man's lamp.
Speaker 8: He's he's he's like, should I chase or should I stay? Wide It's like an old Clash song, Should I stay or should I guess? He guys are way too young.
Speaker 12: I do.
Speaker 8: Man the clash should I stay or should I go? But yeah, so the but that's the thing about with with with with Parsons is that he gets caught. You know, he's kind of trying to play his assignment and then all of a sudden, though they hand the ball. And that's that's the thing that now with with Barkley, you know, you can hand the ball to him inside and and you'll be just fine. You know, you'll be just fine doing that. But it's it's going to be a challenge. It's going to be a challenge because you know, first game back, and and this team traditionally has given him problems just because they make him have to play with some indecision.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Lobile has Jalen been.
Speaker 8: He hasn't really had to be. Now he can still run. He could he had it. Used to have a shoulder problem and he didn't want and then now you know, he had a knee problem, and now he didn't really didn't want to.
Speaker 2: But he's still He's one of those he holds the ball. Here's another one of those quarterbacks. You play the guy at San Francisco.
Speaker 8: These guys that hold the ball, but this guy, he actually the longer he holds the ball, he's like about a sixty percent passer doing that. So, I mean there's times where guys that hold the ball and they're not good at that. Remember brock Purty was a hold the ball and then he was good at that. I went back and watched the interceptions. You can make this guy panic a little bit, but you gotta get up to him and make him kind of because he'll he'll do stupid things like run to his right and throw the ball all the way back in the middle of the field, or he'll just think he could take a deep shot and the safety standing right there and it's an interception. But to your question, the mobility is still it's very just it's very much like, Okay, I'm just gonna it's not much so much designed runs. It's more like get out of trouble runs, is what it is.
Speaker 7: Per Pro Football Focus, he has scrambled outside of the pocket on passing plays twenty one times this season for one eighty five yards, and just in general, his rushing stats are eighty six carries for three hundred.
Speaker 6: And twenty two yards and eight scores.
Speaker 7: He's around about the same pace that he was at last year yardage wise, but attempts have gone up, So that's that's something to kind of keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: I guess all right, let's tack our final break. We'll come back. We got more thoughts and questions on this Philadelphia office versus the Dallas defense. Will be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 15: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LGO led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines. That's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 1: No one comes close.
Speaker 15: Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 6: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime. Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 17: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of AMERICAP mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash air Cup by yourself. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica respondses me very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored. Quality assurance, message, data rates, additional terms me apply Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop it running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 9: AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. It is the final segment of the brand Live from the SWVC Mortgage studios at the Star, and we're getting ambros set up for lunch out there.
Speaker 2: If you're out your door, dash the copper food?
Speaker 6: Yes, what is that?
Speaker 9: You've never had it here?
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is?
Speaker 2: Say it again?
Speaker 9: Does that something?
Speaker 3: I still don't know what it is. Tell me what it is.
Speaker 9: I don't know. It's a Mexican soup. It's really good green soup.
Speaker 2: Perdy. Did you say?
Speaker 9: Yeah? It has like some.
Speaker 2: What's the three chili chili?
Speaker 11: Eat?
Speaker 3: What's the meat?
Speaker 9: I don't know what?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't cook it. I'm not a Mexican, but.
Speaker 3: No, not in the I'm saying on the menu, meat on.
Speaker 9: The menu, bat creole, chicken, creole, creole lemon, pepper, cappa's your catfish, like catfish, cafish, jambalaya.
Speaker 2: Rice, you're going to you're going caching.
Speaker 9: Today, Allas fingerling potatoes.
Speaker 2: They do a good job with these potatoes.
Speaker 9: And tomatoes, green beans with local radish and hot honey, and then corn bread with honey butter.
Speaker 3: You know, we gotta start making this a regular segment of our show, since it is the break used to be the lunch break. We ought to tell like what's our on our lunch menu.
Speaker 2: For always is?
Speaker 6: I can work with that.
Speaker 3: I can work with that.
Speaker 2: Catfish sounds good, I can work with that. All right, good purple out there going. That's it brought us eat that bottom trash fish trash opinion.
Speaker 3: Look, that's what I don't care. It taste good.
Speaker 2: It's like make up my own sauce, right exactly, All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Let's let's get a few more questions here about this Eagles offense versus Dallas defense. Let's assume for a second that Bland is not playing this week week. I think that's probably a safe assumption. Let's just assume, how should Dallas best try to defend Brown and Brown and Smith?
Speaker 2: Is Brown gonna play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's assume Brown's playing. Let's assume Bland is not.
Speaker 6: That's hue, how to go?
Speaker 3: The other teams players play in ours are out.
Speaker 7: So let's DeVante Smith. You're rarely going to see him line up outside. Yeah, And Jordan Lewis, he's played well enough this year to give him that challenge. I think, honestly, DeVante will get his, But I think Jordan Lewis will get his too.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 7: I think there have been only a handful of bright spots on this defense this year. Jordan Lewis is one of them. He's on a one year deal. I think this is a guy that you got to bring back. He's been that he's been that impactful. I think at times there's been games where it could have gotten a lot worse and it didn't. You know, some of these games that have seen the offense get back within one score, guys like Jordan Lewis to Marvin Overshowing that those guys are kind of reasons that they were able to do that in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Is he one of the most Is he the most consistent player on this defense this year?
Speaker 6: That's a that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I wonder i'm asking the question. I think an argument can be made, but I haven't really thought enough about it to give it.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of areas in this offense where are seeing me defense where metrics will tell you're either thirty or thirty first or thirty second. In the nickel stuff. You're one of the better teams when you play a nickel from the nickel spot in.
Speaker 2: The league because of how he plays overall.
Speaker 8: So yeah, in a in a in a year where everything is not looking great on your defense, he is the one guy that has actually shown up and plays.
Speaker 3: I just like how he plays. I like his attitude, he approaches the game. I like how he approaches life like I think he's just a good quality dude, A good.
Speaker 7: Dude, really good dude. I uh, to back to your point on Brown Smith. So Jordan Lewis on Smith, Trayvon Diggs on Brown and if they if they flip the field, keep Trayvon Diggs on the side where he's most comfortable.
Speaker 6: And so you would not.
Speaker 3: You would not. I know that they don't. You would not consider traveling him with Brown knowing that Kaylen's on the other side.
Speaker 6: I mean, yes, I.
Speaker 7: Would consider it, and more so just kind of communicating what probably will happen. Yeah, I guess yes, I would consider it. At the end of the day, I think that probably factored in my thought process there. But you have Kayln Carson. Has he been up and down at times? Yes, but you gotta throw him out there at times too, So like this is a situation where you're gonna throw him out there and see.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: One interesting point here in this game is Israel mcwamou Dallas Goddard has gotten his he's he had one hundred and seventy yard game against New Orleans in Week three. He could certainly, you know, be a weapon for Jalen Hurts over the middle of the field. Now, would they feel comfortable putting a guy like Demarvin overshown on a Goddard and maybe having mcwamou handle some aj Brown responsibilities. I think there is still a lot of work in progress when it comes to coverage on this defense right now, and I think that's certainly an option too.
Speaker 8: If all things are healthy for the Eagles. If Goddard is he's dealing with a hamstring right now. If all things are healthy, my priorities are Smith, Goddard, and then Brown. That would be my priority right there. Yeah, because what happens is he's going to throw the ball to Smith because he could he could play at all levels. He could run, he could run the cross, he could run the hitch, he could run the post. He runs all the routes. And that's where that's where this quarterback will try and find him.
Speaker 2: He will, he will look.
Speaker 8: The next guy he's going to look for is that's that. Now you've got to figure out about him, and you know he's gonna run. He's his stuff is like underneath, not so much up the seams or up the field, but kind of block weight, you know, like what you saw from Kittle yep, that.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 8: And then Brown, Brown is going to be the guy that's gonna go vertical on you. He's the one that they're gonna try and hit the shot on the deep shots and stuff like that. So to me, I I kind of I kind of my priority is I think I think Smith is a hardcover. I don't think you're you're gonna have. I think you're gonna have He's you said, he gets his you know, you get yours kind of a thing. I think you're gonna if you if you had a fifty to fifty game, because you get down the red zone, he's he's their target down in the red zone. I mean he's going to because he finds space down there, he's really good at and they get him on the move and all that.
Speaker 2: So whoever you feel like.
Speaker 8: Can take him the best and stay with him on all the routes that he's going to run, that needs to be your priority right there, and then next then figure out, I believe next, figure out what Goddard is going to do that that that's how just watching their tape, I kind of felt like that's the way that that if the progressions for hurts, it's Smith Goddard Brown.
Speaker 2: That's kind of how I feel like he's going to play this game.
Speaker 3: You mentioned you guys mentioned Kayln Carson. Where where do you think he struggles the most at this point?
Speaker 2: What's he having confidence is not I'm not going to say shot.
Speaker 8: It's shaky right now because they attack him and the problem is when he came out of Wake Forest.
Speaker 2: He was a physical player.
Speaker 8: We've seen him misattackle and make a tackle, make it tackle, make it tackle, you know, not that he but his shoulder. I mean, I think he here, he is, he's going through a deal where he was hurt. He's missed time. You know, he hasn't had a lot of you know, he's had reps and playing games. But teams go after him. Now they've kind of figured out where's number twenty one. Let's get our guys over on the Falcons. Clearly did the Falcons figured out that, like, hey, we're gonna throw at seven, We're gonna throw it twenty one over here. You know that's the guy we need to attack, and they did. And I think teams are kind of figuring that out, and he just, you know, he's just he needs a game where he knocks two or three balls down. It kind of gets him back into that Wake Forest mode where he was super competitive, super tough, tackling and making plays for his team at that time.
Speaker 7: This is just something I've kind of theorized off of watching film. This is me kind of assuming how how another player is thinking, which I do not like to do. I've mentioned that a couple of times. But what I see from Kayln Carson is it looks like he's too scared to give up the big play, so much so that he gives up so much leverage in front of him that he's like, okay, as long as they don't get behind me, I'm okay.
Speaker 6: I'm taking this.
Speaker 7: He's only given up two completions over twenty yards all season, but it's this that tend to twenty range where he's just getting chopped up over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: That's about that confidence.
Speaker 2: If he makes that.
Speaker 8: Tackle down in the down in the you know, Philly Atlanta was coming out and they throw the ball the flat and he makes that tackle and they get off the field on third down, you know, instead he misses it and it goes up the sidelines. For a big game and all that, and you know, that's kind of stuff he needs to make some of those plays. I think he's that kind of guy when he makes a play. When he makes a play, now he starts getting into the game that way. And you know, right now, I just think his confidence is not where it probably has needs to be for him playing right now. The injury probably has got him shook a little bit about the shoulder. Can I be physical, can I tackle? Can I do all these things? You know with my shoulder being kind of a little bit, you know, trying to get it right.
Speaker 9: Well, he's a talented player, but again you're asking for a young, inexperienced guy to take this kind of load. And I think the inexperience and and him being a rookie is going to show so not I deal that you're having to rely on him. And I think the big thing now that he's back is the whole injury situation. We know that mentally that can be it can stop you from doing or like trying to give it your all because now you've been through an injury and that's in the back of your head. You don't want to get injury, even if you're not trying to. It's gonna show in that way. And on the other side, with Trevon Diggs, again, we we've seen some really good time We've seen him play well. I don't want to get yell at he's not some good plays. But at the same time, he's another one that even though he played, he's still kind of banged up a little bit with the what was it the was it the ankle, calf and he's so many he played and it's great. But again, that's another thing that I think in most players at this point of the year, they're with something. But that's another guy that don't think that they can't attack that side of the field either. I think they can take advantage of a Trevlon Diggs as well. So that's just very tough for this defense overall.
Speaker 3: One more quick question before we end the show, looking at what the Cowboys have right now on the rest of the defensive line. How much of an impact do you think Micah can really have when he returns, whether it's this week or whatever week it is. How much of an impact can he really have with a defensive line that right now just isn't being able to really consistently get pressure.
Speaker 7: I think he can't have an impact because he's always been a guy that's kind of on an island and does you know, something very different than everyone else. And as long as he is getting his then I think it could be a trickle down effect. Look, you see a Micah Parsons over the course of the last couple of years where he's very big on his sack numbers and very big on his tackles for losses and things of that nature. And you know take that for how you will. But he's missed this amount of time, his sack numbers are going to be decreased this season. As a result, he's going to try to get as much back up double digit sacks as he can. I think this is a situation where you go down the rest of the season and uh, he understands the the negotiations he's about to hop into next offseason.
Speaker 3: Does that not worry you? The reason why I say that is because if you if you're worried about getting sacked numbers, sometimes sacks have to come to you. If you start pressing too much, you get out of position, you don't set the edge, you're too worried about getting up feel, and then you get in gashed at the right.
Speaker 8: I'd lind him up, I'd line him up over this left tackle and go to work. Well that's what I'm saying. I mean, you know, make make the left side of this offensive line for the Eagles have to block him. You know, if you continue may if you continue to get some good play from Carl Lawson. I mean, that's why I asked the question about could this be where Carl Lawson and Parsons could they give you enough pass rush. Yeah, you know that's you know, because Lawson has shown and when he's given the opportunity that he's kind of getting back to the old mad steeled self. So let him work against Lane Johnson and put and put Mike over on the other side and and see if they can they can do some good that way. I'll tell you another thing too, to keep an eye on this Eagles running back group between Barkley and Game Will and those guys they don't.
Speaker 2: Pass protect well.
Speaker 8: Barkley's given up two sacks this year, you know, when he's had to do so anything to make these guys have to play, they give up pressures and they give up sacks. So don't expect help from their running backs in this game.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, I.
Speaker 7: Would be putting Chauncey Golson on the right side and letting Carl and Micah Parsons rotate on that left side, keep them fresh, and have them even line them up next to each other out opportunities too.
Speaker 6: Of course, there's a way to do that.
Speaker 7: The reason I say Golson on the right side is because I think if you put a guy like Karl Lawson on that right side, doesn't have a lot of length, probably wouldn't be as strong as a run defender against lane Johnson. You're giving Saquon Barkley a huge lane on that right side to run the football.
Speaker 6: But that's just been kind of looking at it.
Speaker 3: All right, that's rap. I appreciate you, guys. Jonas, we're back tomorrow. We'll talk about Philadelphia defense versus the Cowboys offense. Till then from the Carris Brian brought us what Derek. This has been a break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.