Speaker 1: Welcome in What Driving Think Right episode for eighty. This episode of What Driving Thick Right is presented to you by Boost Mobile. A reminder to you, guys subscribe to the pod that way, you know, when these Bonus Friday pods come out, we have a great We had a great mail bag pod ready for you guys with some great long form questions. You guys are really doing a good job doing sending long, thoughtful emails to What's Rightmailbag at gmail dot com. But we are pushing that to next week because I did so much on the World Cup on Thursday that there are these non World Cup stories that I figured we could just get to right here in this There were too many other stories that we weren't able to get to. Adam Silver's press conference, Kawhi's trade non trade, everything happening there, these NFL lists. Lebron's future now, there is some belief in some circles we are recording this Thursday afternoon, that Thursday evening, Lebron's gonna announce where he's going. I don't I'm not one of the people that believes that if he does, then our Lebron portion of this will be useless. And you can fast forward through. But I don't think he's gonna announce it before you guys hear this. But again, if you want to participate in the mailbag, What's Right mailbag at gmail dot com. Demons's doing a little overtime today because Lamar Jay. The bunch of lists have come out and Lamar is not being respected on them. I'll let you take it from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my goy, Lamar has been getting crucified over the course of the last few days. Sixty ninth in the NFL Top one hundred. People are ranking him.
Speaker 1: After being second last year. His number two the NFL Top one hundred is voted by players. He was second last year, sixty ninth this year, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Right drops the sixty ninth amongst his peers. He's outside of the top ten in multiple quarterback lists. What's going on? Has everybody forgotten about Lafara Jackson?
Speaker 1: So I want to get your take on it in a second. But first, here's here's why this is not nothing to me, and it's at least somewhat notable. It says to me, Demanse that there is some level of concern amongst you know. So it's because it's a it's a diverse array of lists, right, So Colin had his list, he's out of the top ten the Scouts, Coaches Executives list. He's out of the top ten the Player's ranking, which is kind of a fuzzy list. He's going sixty nine. Is weird because it's like him versus every position. But there are certainly going to be at least ten more quarterbacks on the list, So he's out of that top ten, right. So it's a players people that work for teams media with a level of Lamar's skepticism, and I think that speaks to the fact that people are wondering two things. One does is he still a dynamic runner? Like last year he basically lost as many yards in sacks as he gained running the ball, Like is that as an all of a sudden a middle aged quarterback. Is that out of his game? And how will that impact the rest of his game? And the other thing I think people are concerned about is has he now entered the injury prone category for quarterbacks? The problem with the injury prone thing hurting his ranking is it's sure as hell doesn't seem to be hurting Joe Burrows and Joe Burrow's, you know, injured the same amount as Lamar. Like Joe Burrow and Lamar have actually over the last five years, like played almost the identical amount of games, so you can say they are equal injury concerns, even though I think some people probably think Burrow's far more, that's not really the case. But it's not hurting Burrow. So those are the things that jump out to me. You know, you really believe in Lamar and really like Lamar your thought on all thoughts on all of this.
Speaker 2: I think it's just a little recency bias, Like it's a year he was banged up. I understand that, but I just look at where a lot of people were a year ago before last season. I just think that, and he also has like a lot of proof of concept. I don't know how he could have dropped this far down, but I will say it's this is the type of year, like he's got a new coach. It seems like everything's kind of in place where if he doesn't if he doesn't perform, that's just on him. And if he gets injured again, then I do think it's fair for you to be like he is an injury risk. But I just think it's a big year for him, But I also think that he's being disrespected at this point.
Speaker 1: So listen, I think both of those things are objectively true. I think it is a big year for him, and I also think he is there is. He is one year removed from back to back first team All Pro seasons, and there is a lot like listen, he has not been We've talked about it, you know, I have to talk about it more here good in the playoffs, but he's been better than Justin Herbert in the playoffs, and Herbert is high on all these lists. You know what I mean. He is injuries are a concern, but injuries are a concern for Joe Burrow, and Burrow is high on all these lists. So here is demand's a what I my gut feeling is about why he has had this type of fall, And this is, you know, I guess, somewhat controversial opinion for some people. I don't think it should be. But whatever, despite the fact that Lamar has one of a top three all time league passer rating, and despite the fact that last year, even in an awful year, he had a crazy good touchdown interception ratio and a you know, a pretty good passer rating in a bad year. I think there is still a belief around the league in some circles, and by the way, this is a belief that I share, that part of what has allowed Lamar to thrive as much as he has as as a passer is the threat of him running, and that teams don't necessarily defend Baltimore's passing attack the way they defend the passing attack of some of the other elite quarterbacks, and that if Lamar is on a significant downward trajectory as far as running frequency and effectiveness, and if teams finally start to treat him defend him with less fear of his running, that that will drastically impact his passing efficiency. That's what I think what these lists are saying is they think the part of Lamar's game that has made him the most special is deteriorating, and that even though the numbers don't suggest it, his passing game, pure passing game has not.
Speaker 2: You know, gone ability has gone down, You're.
Speaker 1: Right, has not. It has not evolved. It certainly has a vault, but has not evolved enough to offset what they're going to lose from the running threat. And that he is going to be defended a little differently if he's less of a running threat. And the sacks last year were bad. It was a lot of sacks for a lot of yards, and that also speaks to a lack of escapability. So I think all those things are fair questions. But it does seem to me, and I'll let you respond to this for it to move on. I never thought he should have been rated, even coming off the MVPs, the best quarterback in football, but he has been on this US multiple times. That felt too extreme. This all these folks saying he's not a top ten quarterback, that also feels far too extreme. I I am very interested in how he's going to jive with first time, with the new head coach, this new offensive coordinator, all of that. Do you like what let me ask you this before you before we go or before we move on. What do you think is more likely this season another eight year where he is a top an MVP finalist, top three MVP finish, or a year where a downward trajectory continues.
Speaker 2: The first one. I believe him. The first I think that he'll have a good season over having a bad one, and I just believe in him. And I think everything is in place for him, and if you don't, if it doesn't work out this year, then I do think there are like serious discussions or ways you need to start looking at it. Yeah, exactly. But I think that if he had this season that he had last year again this next season, then it would have been fair where everybody's ranking him. But I just there wasn't enough. It wasn't like last year was this guy?
Speaker 1: It was one year? Right, Yeah, And I'm curious based on this where the players are gonna have Mahomes well, you know what I mean. Mahomes got hurt, Mames didn't have a good year. So here is here's what else. I think the most likely outcome for Lamar next year is a solid year where he's like the sixth or seventh best quarterback in football. That's what I think is the most likely. But if you're telling me he's either going to have a bad year an MVP year, I think bad is more likely than MVP. I think that it is the injuries and the lack of running and that stuff. I think it's more likely that that is catching up to him than we see another unstoppable season. Now, again, the most likely is neither of those and somewhere in the middle. But I am I'm not quite as bullish as you are, all right. Today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet sports book. If you haven't tried out hard Rock Bet yet, there's no better time to get in the game than right now. We're down to the final two teams in the world's biggest soccer tournament. Just one match remains before a champion his crowned, and then that's it. You'll have to wait four more years for soccer's biggest stage to return, so don't spend the next four years wishing you were part of history. Hard Rock Bet is a top rated sportsbook and it is built to viva la copa. Their soccer promos are some of the best out there. Check out no goals, No Problem. If you bet on a team to win in regulation and the match in scoreless after ninety minutes plus stoppage time, you'll get a bonus bet back up to two hundred and fifty dollars, So when the goals go missing your bet doesn't. Then they're super sub A great promo for player props. If the player you bet on is subbed off, you still win if their replacement fulfills the bet, same odd, same payout, and the promos keep coming every match day. You can choose your own offer, a profit boost to juice your winnings, or a no sweat bet for a little extra security. So if you're ready to try your first bet on hard Rock Bet today, sign up and you score one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. Just place a five dollars bet and if it wins, you get not only your winnings, but also an extra one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida join this summer party. Hardrock Bet is live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Mission with more states on the way. Download the hard Rock Bet app today and don't let the Cup's biggest games pass you by Roll with Us, Goal with Us with hard Rock Bet offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. Offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC and older. States must be twenty one plus and physically president. In Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. Play terms and conditions apply concern about gambling In Florida, call one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana, if you are somebody you know as a gambling problem wants help, call what eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio, Virginia, call one eight hundred my reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler. When you guys hear this, I guess it's possible Lebron will have made his decision. I think it is highly unlike. I think it's unlikely that he decides on Thursday. We're recording this on Thursday. You guys are gonna hear this on Friday. Understand that you know, you guys this All the sixers have reached out to Bron. Draymond and Bron are super tight. Steve Kerr, I think jokingly told some fans we got him. Here is how I would handicap it. At the moment, I think Cleveland is the clear favorite. I think Philly is more possible than people are really giving it credit. And I think the Warriors are the dark horse, and I think that is the full list. I don't think it's Miami. I never ever thought it was Minnesota. And while there was a little buzz around Denver, I don't think that's likely. I think that Philly makes a lot of sense, except for it just would feel the weirdest of the three. Golden State I don't believe has enough, and they haven't seemed able to acquire Anthony Davis. And I think Cleveland makes more sense basketball wise than some folks are giving it credit. I think Harden is probably more movable than people recognize if they were to need to do that. And I'm going to add one little bonus thought that I said to Colin, and this is again just reading Tea leaves because they are keeping this close to the vest I am not certain. I'm not certain that in order to play with Draymond, Lebron has to go to Golden State. I'm not saying I'm saying. In fact, that's exactly what I'm saying that I am just not certain the only way he can play with Draymond is go to Golden State. Draymond obviously also opted out of his deal, and I just think there is that in order to play with Steph, he obviously has to go to Golden State. In order to play with Draymond, he probably has to go to Golden State. I don't know that he definitely has to go to Golden State to play with Draymond. What I will say is and where I disagree with my pal Bill Simmons vehemently, and I kind of agree more with Zach Lowe on this one. If he were to sign with Cleveland or Philly, that team absolutely can make the finals. And if you could make the finals, you can win the championship. Like the last team to make the to be draw truly drawing dead in the finals was probably the heat against Lebron and ads Lakers. Like we have seen underdogs win finals over the last decade and certainly come really close it, particularly in the Pacers case. So I I think there is a better chance. I think if Lebron goes out east and picks Philly or Cleveland, that team can absolutely get to the finals. You can get to the finals, you can win the championship. And I think he Mike right now, if you were to offer me an even money bet, my bet would be Cleveland. I don't think Philly is out of it, as weird as that would be potentially, and I think Golden State right now, barring a significant transaction, is pretty clearly in third place. How I read it?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: I want to remind you guys, boost Mobile is proving you don't have to overpay for great wireless Unlock the savings with the twenty five dollars a month Forever Unlimited plan. It's a permanent price with no contracts and no price hikes. You can keep your phone and your number, but you save up to six hundred dollars a year compared to the major carriers. Stop overpaying and switch to a fair price at boostmobile dot com today based on average annual single line payment of AT and T, Verizon and T Mobile customers compared to twelve months on the boost Mobile Unlimited plan as of January twenty twenty six. For full offer details, visit boost mobile dot com. All right, so Adam Silver had his press conference. We'll get to the QUI thing in a minute, but he said this about the second apron. The purpose of this system is ultimately to create competition throughout the league, and from that standpoint, I think the system is work working incredibly well. He went on to say, the goal isn't necessarily to have a different champion every year, but we have had eight different champions over the last eight years. So here's and this is these are not ute opinions unique to just me, but I do think it Warren's mentioning. So here's what I Here's where I think people are confused about the way NBA salary works. The players get the same share no matter what. It just changes who gets what. So here's what I mean. The way the salary gap is said is the players get I think it's forty nine percent, but we're just gonna call it half. They get half of basketball related income and then the owners get the other half to do, you know, run the teams, do whatever, make a profit if and Windy did a good job explaining this, and I've explained it before as well, but it warn't repeating because I think people don't understand this piece of it. That number down to the dollar is the players percentage is the same every year under this CBA and it and that all the aprons and max salaries and winby not taking you know, the full max and all those things do is it shuffles that money to other players. And so if if guys, if there's a bunch of teams going over the apron using bird rights to re sign players and all, you know, all of and all of a sudden that your holy shit, players instead of getting their fifty percent again I think it's forty eight percent, but I mean they're fifty percent of the pie, the players as a whole got fifty two percent of the pie. Then the players as a whole have money clawed back and it goes to the owners. And if at the end of the year, because guys took discounts or some teams didn't spend enough, the players didn't get their full piece of the pie, then the owners at the end of the year write a check to the players. And so the amount of money that is going to the players is going to be to the dollar at the end of the year the same, no matter what players take discounts, what players sign for the max, what teams are afraid of the apron, what teams aren't. So it really it's it's not so much that this is saving the owner's money as much as it is is distributing the talent across the league, which is what the league wanted. Now you can argue that's not good, that that is, that that's been a failure by the league, that they shouldn't want that, But I do. I will defend, so to speak, Adam silver In that it was their goal and it has achieved. That they don't want super teams. They want player that they they want you to have to have tough team building decisions. Now, again, I don't know if that's what they should want. Should they want teams to develop home draft and develop homegrown stars that they want to keep but cannot because of the financial penalties of it. I don't know that they should want that. What I do know is I think there has been a little confusion on how much the players are getting screwed by the apron like hold on NBA CBA BRI four players. I think it's forty eight percent. So let me I just I want to read this correctly. The so this is just reading from Sportico. The NBA released the final accounting of last season, revealing basketball related income was eleven point six to eight billion, up from ten point twenty five billion. The BRI means players and owners will split an escrow of five hundred and eighty million set aside to make the math work and the shared revenue system laid out in the CBA. So the CBA calls for players to receive fifty one percent of BRI basketball related income in the form of salaries and benefits. The NBA with holds this is the part I'm talking about ten percent of player salaries each year to ensure the revenue split is achieved. Then it talks about why the revenue was heard a bit, okay, So this is what I'm trying to get to. Total salaries and benefits of the twenty twenty five twenty six season were six point twenty seven billion above the fifty one percent threshold. The ESCRO account was divided, so fifty four point eight percent went to the owners and forty five point two percent to the players to reach the fifty one percent mark. Last season, more than ninety percent of the amount in ESCRO went back to owners. So what that is saying is they're supposed to basically have like a fifty to fifty split, okay, but certain years given the way that it's not a hard cap like the NFL, and I hope this isn't too boring, but I want people to understand it that you're not always going to actually get If you were to just be like, hey, whatever contract players have, they get paid out is you know, it is what it is. You wouldn't truly get the fifty one to forty nine split, but they have to get the fifty one to forty nine split. So because of that, everybody's salary, ten percent of it gets held. And some years when the league underspins, if you will, guys get a bump or a bonus, and some years guys take a haircut. So Steph again from Sportico, let me just read more from the article of the ten percent salaries in ESCRO players received just under half back. For practical purposes, it means each player for the twenty five to twenty six season took a five and a half percent haircut on their negotiated salary. A twenty million dollars player actually earned eighteen point nine million. Zeph Curry got dinged the most. His salary is fifty nine point eight, so he loses three point three. So it's all in proportion. And so if there were a year where the league didn't spend enough, then that twenty million player would actually get twenty one million like they would get the bump back. But the reason I'm laying this out is the amount of money paid out to the players doesn't is not affected by aprons. It's just not. They get their fifty one percent no matter what, no more, no less so what it is. So it's not that it's saving the owner's money, it's that it really is the owners think this is best for competitive balance. I just don't know that I agree that this is the type of competitive balance they should be going after. The thing I think we all agree on is the NBA treating the Kawhi Leonards skin like a nuclear facility was breached and we need a five thousand page governmental report on it is ridiculous. And the latest updates on the aspiration deal with Silver saying this investigation needs to be wrapped up before the beginning of next season and hoping it ends this summer is wild to me. And I think it is a failure by Silver to allow this to be so loyally and prioritizing dotting every eye and crossing every tee and following every lead and every loose end rather than getting a resolution. And I I don't I am surprised that. I'm not surprised that the Clippers and the Raptors paused the trade. I am surprised that Silver hasn't felt comfortable simply saying here's the ruling, because it doesn't seem like we're anywhere close to getting one. And I have no idea what that means for brandon Ingram or Kawhi Leonard, or how anybody's going to do their business, or for restricted free agents the likes of which the Clippers might have an offer sheet ready for, but they don't know who's going to be on their team. And this should not have taken ten months to get to the bottom of. And I've never seen anything like it where we don't know who brandon Ingram, Grady Dick, Kawhi Leonard are going to play for next year, and because of that, we kind of don't know if some of these restricted free agents are going to get big offer sheets. I've never seen anything quite like this. And then last but not least, KD was on Instagram and answered one of these you know ones got to go picture thing and said basketball would actually move forward if get Nick Wright wasn't involved. Hold up, I don't know why I said, hold up, now, I'd like to say that, well, KD was just talking about you know, bald nick right, shaved head nick right, and he and I sense of mend defenses because I thought we had mind defenses. But when this was I was told about this because I'm not active on Instagram. I then I did DM KD, and he was very very funny to his credit, and I know what he was doing, and I think it is cheeky, so to speak, and so I one second, let me get get it for you guys, and not surprisingly like I, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this. As soon as I sent it, he responded, I sent the old question guy emoji this guy, and I wrote, I thought we were cool, now hate to see it. And his response to I thought we were cool was what made you think that it is legitimately funny? But I guess I had gotten bad information. And again, I don't want to betray confidences, but I don't think this is betraying confidences. And I actually think Durant comes out looking really good here. So I'm going to share the interaction with you guys. He wrote to me, it's just an opinion on your skills, but I don't matter. I'm not your bosses. They love you, that's all that matters. And I, because I'm me and I can't help myself, responded to him to be fair in my craft, much like you and yours. My skills are pretty unimpeachable. My opinions are, of course a matter of debate. And then I wrote, you know, but all good, no hard feelings, because I do think it's totally we are in the business of critiquing, criticizing athletes. We have to be totally fine when they do it back to us. And then he was very funny in my opinion where he really did try to put due to us which I think he feels we do to them, which is he wrote, you show up every day, so there's an opportunity for you to move up on my all time list. And so that's not the entirety of the interaction, it's most of it. You get the gist of it. So a few things on it. One, I got no issue whatsoever if the I did take some cheap ish shots at Durant when he was with the Nets. Again, I've apologized for those. That's why I guess I said, I thought we were cool, but maybe not if he you know, if he is still upset about that, totally fair. And if he's not still upset about that, but it's been upset about things I've said after that, again totally fair. Like that he is. Nothing he said there was out of bounds, obviously publicly or privately. Why would he be upset with me? As the question people are asking, I have a few theories. One, you know, I know, you know he thinks that I give a favorable coverage to guys that I have personal relationships. I shouldn't say I know. I have a feeling that he thinks I give favorable coverage to guys I have a personal relationship with and therefore maybe have been unfair to him. I try to be very clear about any relationships or biases I have, and I don't think I've been unfair to him, certainly in the last few years. Again, I was a little, as they would say in the World Cup season, cheekier than I needed to be in some of the net stuff. But I again I've since apologized for that. So there's that piece of it. I don't think I do. Again, this is just blind guessing that he thinks I don't rank him as high as he deserves to be ranked. I think he's one of the twenty greatest players of all time. But I've been very adamant. I don't think you can possibly make the argument he's one of the ten greatest players of all time. Maybe that drubbed him the wrong way. And last, but not least, I was pretty critical this year about what I you know, the social media stuff that I think wrecked the Rockets locker room and his colpaville in that that is, I believe I was more than fair there. But and again I'm blind guessing any of those things could be a reason, you know, he's displeased with me. It also might be none of those things, just he's never likes me, or he thinks I have shitty opinions, or he thinks I don't know ball who knows. I just do know that I don't think I get as no, I don't think I know. I don't get as worked up as some of my colleagues do. When these guys treat us the way we treat them. We're also in the public eye. We're also a level of celebrity. We also are public figures that do an entertainment based job, and if those folks want to criticize how we do our work the way we criticize how they do their work, that is a thousand percent fair, and everybody doesn't have to like everybody with that set. I actually do like Durant. I find him really fascinating. I think he's really interesting. I don't think there's ever been an athlete quite like him when it comes to the way he interacts with fans and media and all of that. And I obviously have massive, massive respect for him as a player. And so is there a part of me that wishes like he thought what I did was good? Sure? It probably is. Yeah, a little sad, but it's what I'm not gonna do is stare at the camera and be like this is what No, what he said, It's totally fine. I don't, though, understand. I don't think basketball would actually move forward if I wasn't involved. I don't think I'm holding the sport of basketball back. I will say that is my opinion. I think that's overstating it just a bit. Enjoy the World Cup Final, Enjoy your weekend. We'll be back next week again. Morning episodes Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, See you guys. Then, thank you to boost Mobile, thank you hard Rock Bet, thank you to Volume, thank you to Bluda. Talk to you guys soon. What's right,