Speaker 1: Hey, I have a question for you because you've got oh what are they called? Children, and so your whole family gets together, I imagine because you're a family vacations I also know are and traveling is very important to you.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Can you remember what your worst family vacation is, either with your children or when you were a child.
Speaker 2: You have one that sticks out?
Speaker 3: Well, I actually at this point don't really do vacations with my children.
Speaker 2: Yet, okay, because they're too young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just it's like going on a planet.
Speaker 3: Will go to go see family, but I'm not going to go try to do a pool vacation or you know, something like like a destined nation type situation, right because one they obviouslyn't really going to necessarily remember it. But it's also not relaxing for moms to do such thing is basically living a mom life, just in a different place. Okay, so the amount of bags you have to take, yeah, the mountains, So it's kind of it doesn't really make sense at this point because they're not independent enough to do a lot of stuff on their own. But for me, we had a Fourth of July kind of tradition that we would go up to Tahoe and do a cabin with a bunch of different family like family friends, lots of kids, lots of families, fireworks on the lake, you know that kind of stuff. So that I think would be one of the best vacations I could think of. And then older my family wanted to go on a vacation and it was me and my mom and dad and my sister Star and her girlfriend, and I was like, I will go, but I don't. They were getting like kind of a one of those big hotel rooms where there was moremultiple p I was like, I need like my own room completely, like I ye, okay.
Speaker 2: So at that point I was you're not a sharer. No.
Speaker 3: At that point, I was twenty four, and I was just like, I'm not sleeping on the couch. You guys are crazy, So I'll get my own room. It's cool, no big deal.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: So that that's kind of it, I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean, we went on vacations, We always did Hawaii. I loved Hawaii. Watching this movie really brought a lot.
Speaker 1: Of that Sheeese You and You and Danielle Fischels that did like yearly Hawaii. But that's what you get when you're on the West coast and the East coast. You never thought to go to Hawaii?
Speaker 3: Right, where would you? Where was your guys destination? That would be kind of like a whole lot of Florida.
Speaker 1: Every way to Santaba Island in Florida every year for comes. Okay, And we went to the Bahamas once and we went to Bermuda once, so those were like, woh, those kind of desinaies.
Speaker 4: The Bahamas is not too bad, my friend.
Speaker 1: It was Okay, it was. I don't remember that trip particularly well. Bermuda I liked. I remember because I remember the pink sand beaches and there's great arcade. That's all I cared about. And my brother played dragons Layer every day.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, tsunamis and the high school's musical.
Speaker 4: I'm Will for Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: Okay, y'all, let's get ready for an all expenses paid trip to the beautiful remote island of Mandolino. Yes, because we're reviewing the two thousand and three d com spawned from a Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: TV show, The Even Stevens Movie. That's Right. This movie acted as a series.
Speaker 1: Finale for a very popular Disney Channel comedy called wait for It, Even Stevens that ran from two thousand to two thousand and three, chronicling the life of the Stevens family in Sacramento, California, with a focus on the two younger children, Reren and Lewis, whose clashing personalities made for humorous situations. And a very nice part of this movie is you can watch it without any prior knowledge of the show. I can attest to that because as much as I am friends with one of the actors in the show.
Speaker 2: I had never actually seen it before.
Speaker 1: But having seen the show definitely helps with understanding some of the cameos.
Speaker 2: But I figured it out.
Speaker 1: But it's not necessary to know everything from the Even Stevens universe to.
Speaker 2: Enjoy it now.
Speaker 1: Even Stevens is mostly discussed nowadays as the breakout role for a very young Shilah buff which we will get to later.
Speaker 2: But this film is the.
Speaker 1: End of a sixty five episode run for the show, which at the time was the longest a Disney Channel show could go see. Shows were canceled after sixty five episodes, so that four separate Disney Channel shows could be broadcast during the week. Over the course of a calendar year, each quarter, four new shows would air new episodes and reruns. During a season quarter of thirteen weeks, so by the end of the quarter, sixty five episodes will have aired. I don't like math any more than you do, but I swear if you put it out and you do it with your toes and fingers and numbers, actually they.
Speaker 2: Play out at this they do, they do.
Speaker 1: This rule would also allow the studio to avoid costly executive producer and talent bumps in salary, which is e convenient for them. So even the most successful shows would be done at three seasons, and then they'd utilize reruns to keep them in rotation. There were only two shows of that era that broke the sixty five episode rule. That's so Raven is one of them, and the first one that had it happen a little show called Kim Possible. Yes, we got a fourth season Kim Possible, and it was before really the Internet kicked in. This was all done by word of mouth and people writing to the channel, physically writing letters to the channel. We ended up getting a fourth season.
Speaker 2: Of Kim Possible. It was a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: The rule has since gone away with Wizards of Waverley Place, Phineas and Ferb and Raven's Home all above one hundred each to name a few, but it is fun to see the reasoning behind these movies back in the day. So this was again just to wrap up the entire series. Instead of giving them another season to wrap it up, they said, hey, we'll give you a ninety minute movie or so there or thereabout, and you can wrap up everything that people have been watching.
Speaker 2: This show was.
Speaker 1: Also a Daytime Emmy winner for Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series in two thousand and three for Shia's work of the show well deserved.
Speaker 2: You saw what he was capable of.
Speaker 1: He is I was a child actor and I would have killed to have a quarter of this kid's talent.
Speaker 2: He was great. Okay, back to the movie.
Speaker 1: It aired on June thirteenth, two thousand and three, to a very impressive five point one million viewers, making it the most watched program on cable that night. It would also get a DVD release and a VHS release look up with both Those are kids in June two thousand and five and is now currently stream of both. There's a word you Know on Disney Plus, so go and watch it now, or listeners before you do, or go bake and apple pie instead. Those are your magical rewind options. Okay, Sabrina. Two questions here. First, did you watch Even Stevens the show?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 3: Wasn't a faithful fan Stevens ste Well, I will have to admit. Did love Shilah buff loved Christy Carlson Romano. I thought she was so fun. She her role seemed like a dream role, you know, so fun. So yes, kind of just very excited to see where they were gonna take these characters.
Speaker 2: Had you seen the movie before? I had not?
Speaker 3: That guy that I had not, which is crazy because I'm looking at aired June thirteen, two thousand and three. This is literally two months before the first Cheetah Girls movie. And like I said, while I was in the channel, I was really watching everything that they were out, So it was weird that I didn't catch this one.
Speaker 4: Very very interesting to me.
Speaker 1: They slipped on pasture they did. Hey, do you want to ask me if i'd ever seen this movie.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, you have this one, the DVD and the VHS of this I.
Speaker 2: Do, sure, I do.
Speaker 1: This is there next to my full size Christy Carlson Romano standy yes, and my Christy Carlson Romano poster.
Speaker 4: She is in the back corner there.
Speaker 1: Sir, I have it over there. Funny thing is never seen this movie. Obviously heard of it because I'd heard of the Even Stephen Show, because Christy and.
Speaker 4: I are from you had not seen the show, which just is crazy to me.
Speaker 1: And that, but it also shows how well this movie was written because having not seen the show at all, I knew got the characters right away, was in with the family right away, got the side characters right away, totally. It was really done very well as a standalone, which I'm glad. Yeah, where it wasn't like you didn't start mid you know, mid scene where it's like, oh geez, what the heck's going on?
Speaker 5: Which is good.
Speaker 1: So before we go dropping spaghetti from a beach ball onto our school principle, why don't we get into the synopsis here when Rahn Lewis and the entire Stephens family are sent on a dream vacation. They must battle ferocious squirrels, angry datives, and each other to live through a real adventure of a lifetime. I think it's also safe to say this movie was heavily inspired by both nineteen ninety eight Truman Show, which you can see, and also the rise of reality TV shows like Survivor.
Speaker 2: Early thoughts, what'd you think of the movie?
Speaker 3: Well, the very early thoughts. When I'm looking at all these gadgets, there's some fun stuff. I loved the gadgets, and I love that strange situations. I kept wondering when, because it doesn't happen for a while, that you figure out what this like curve ball is going on.
Speaker 4: I kept going, okay, wait, okay, wait, but wait, this is great, this looks fun, this looks all just kinda be a twice. Where's the twist? Where's the twist?
Speaker 3: When it hits you, I thought, wow, because I couldn't place when this was made. So then it goes, you know, Truman Show, reality show goes Wow, Disney there again does it in such a perfect way.
Speaker 4: Right, so entertaining. I was locked in from starting this movie. Locked in.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. I really liked it.
Speaker 1: One of the things you and I talked about, and it was hitting me as I was watching it, is it seems like there's different iterations of the Disney Channel. You know, we're seeing one now where it's these big tent pole movies. It's Zombies, it's Descendants, it's these forty thirty, twenty million dollar movies that are you know, they're spawning their own shows and cartoon uns and it's become this juggernaut. And then there was kind of the two thousands in there where it's you know, Cheetah Girls and this kind of movie. And then you go back and before that it was Brinking. And so there's all these different kind of versions of the Disney Channel, and this movie to me seemed like the quintessential version of this iteration of the Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was well shot, it was well acted.
Speaker 1: It obviously doesn't have a thirty million dollar budget.
Speaker 4: It's not a musical.
Speaker 2: It's not a musical.
Speaker 4: It's just full blown comedy, fun Disney crazy things.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was just so amazing, and like you said, I think it really shows that the channel, what the channel was doing at this time with their with their talent.
Speaker 4: But I loved to see or to feel.
Speaker 3: At this point, I'm thinking this was the first dcom that stemmed from something else already on the channel.
Speaker 4: So it's interesting, see is the first one?
Speaker 3: Okay, I think, So I don't say I don't remember. I mean because they did a hand of Montana movie. There was a Lizzie Maguire, but that was a possible movie.
Speaker 2: All this stuff was after, well.
Speaker 3: After the eaton seven, so I could be wrong, But in my head as I was watching, it was going, how were they going to do this?
Speaker 4: It worked and it was amazing.
Speaker 3: The really enjoyed it, way bigger than I would have ever expected.
Speaker 4: Right, So it looked awesome.
Speaker 2: The acting was great, The writing was great. Yeah, I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: I knew to expect the acting to be awesome.
Speaker 1: See, I know that Shi is amazing. I knew that Christy was good because I've worked with her. But the rest of the cast, all around them, all the casting was was great.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, the movie stars the aforementioned Shila buff As.
Speaker 2: Lewis Stevens.
Speaker 1: Labuff is a highly praised and well relatively problematic actor who excelled to the top of his field both as a child actor and then later in unfortunately his troubled adulthood.
Speaker 2: He is a well known method actor.
Speaker 1: He's probably best known for his work in the Transformers movies, but can also be seen in films like Holes, which is a brilliant movie, Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls which is not the Peanut butter Falcon, and Disturbia, and as the lovable Reren Stevens My good friend It's someone I know a little something about it Christy Carlson Romano like Shia and almost everyone in this movie. This is a role she had popularized on the show, and she was a Disney mainstay, mostly her for mostly for her iconic work in the dcom Cadet Kelly, a movie we will definitely be covering soon, and as the voice of Can Possible Kpey in the animated show of the same name. She'd also start in the ice Skating Cutting Edge sequels, and now she owns her own podcast company, Podco, and believe it or not, has somehow hosted more podcasts than I have.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Donna piscal plays the mom of the even Stevens clan, Eileen. She's best known as Annette in the movie Saturday Night Fever from nineteen seventy seven. Wow is it a problematic role too? If you go back and watch it now, it is just horrifying to watch. But also starred in the late eighties sitcom Out of This World and made appearances on just about every single TV show that has ever existed, from Mister Belvedere to The Sopranos to Grey's Anatomy.
Speaker 2: Tom Virtue is Steve Stevens.
Speaker 1: He's another always working actor, seen in big movies like Green Book and Iron Man three, and has hundreds of TV show credits, from Roseanne to Crazy Ex Girlfriend to Young Sheldon just this year.
Speaker 2: He's still working all the time. Nick Spano is the oldest of the Stevens siblings, Donnie.
Speaker 1: He was already a TV veteran by this movie, which is why he's supposed to be going to college in the movie.
Speaker 2: But look thirty five.
Speaker 1: With appearances on things like Step by Step and Seventh Heaven. I was waiting for his kids to show up at something right. And Steven Anthony Lawrence is Bernard Bean's Aaron gwarren Burn.
Speaker 2: I just call him bean Beans.
Speaker 4: He is a great nickname, great name, casting, a great show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is obviously an unforgettable character actor that you've seen in the Amanda Show, Cheaper by the Dozen, Kicking and Screaming, Bubble Boy, and Cat in the Hat. But he's obviously best remembered for this show and his time as Beats. Now we have two actors, this time sitting in the Dabney Coleman chair, a first for Magical Rewind. First up is Saturday Night Live alum Tim Meadows. Wow, a truly hilarious comedian You've seen in Mean Girls and Grown Ups and Pop Star Never Stop Stopping. Such a great addition at anything he's cast in. He is a legend who can do no wrong and no joke. If there is ever somebody comes to me and says, will I want you to put together a list of the ten most underrated actors in the history of Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I swear to God Tim Meadows would be on that list.
Speaker 1: To me, Yes, he is so funny and so good that every time he comes on screen I start laughing.
Speaker 2: He's one of those guys.
Speaker 1: And then there's former Magical Rewind guest Dave Koolier, who he spoke to and when we were capped in thirteenth year. You know him, of course, as Joey Gladstone on Full House and the voice of many classic cartoon characters. The movie runs ninety four minutes four minutes over Our Hopes and Dreams, and is directed by Sean McNamara, who has a very long resume that includes, ironically a start in hidden camera TV shows like Totally Hidden Video and Candid Camera, which is you know, the art of the hidden camera shows. Yes, it's an experience that definitely came in handy for this movie. He worked on kid shows like The Secret World of Alex Mack, Phil of the Future and Kicking It, also with movies like the Brats movie, Race to Space Punks and another spinoff dcom film, The Sweet Life Movie. He also is still working, just recently directing the Ronald Reagan biopic titled Reagan Good Good title even Stevens movies written by Mark Warren, a season kids TV writer, with that So Raven, Full House and Kicking It on his IMDb and obviously the Evan Stevens TV show he was credited alongside his writing partner Dennis Rinsler.
Speaker 2: All Right, so let's get into it.
Speaker 1: We open up in a fashion that only these late nineties early two thousand, d coms can which is making the Internet seem very very dangerous. A shadowy man in sunglasses sits in front of a desktop computer scanning pictures of quote, potential families unquote in what we can only get is a very very devious manner, but we don't know why. He lands on the Stevens family that a lot of us already know from their very popular Disney sitcom. He says, perfect, and then we're off to the races. Now, who is this supposed to be because it's not Tim Meadows.
Speaker 3: No, honestly, I'm assuming just kind of a producer of the show.
Speaker 1: But it's like, why not do it with somebody that either we came back to or that has something to do with it.
Speaker 4: I feel like it was to.
Speaker 3: Keep the you know, the mirage of this family vacation because its such a huge character that, you know what I mean, brings the opportunity. So I feel like it was to go, oh wait, no, that wasn't him, you know what I mean, keep it mysterious.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 4: It's it was for me.
Speaker 1: It did, but it also seemed like an unnecessary mystery where it was like why is why not just have it as somebody that eventually have it as Tim Meadows or yeah, somebody that eventually comes back on the show.
Speaker 2: It was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was weird, but we're in. We're in right away, so I like it. We're good, We're good, We're good. It's Lawrence Junior High graduation day, even though all the actors again look like they're in their forties, and Christy Carson has already taller than her dad.
Speaker 2: Yes, but still go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was just I mean, you have to stop, because we've come to this situation before. And I understand that the Junior High age is the demo for Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: But this was a college graduation.
Speaker 3: This was I honestly, it's not because Christy still looks so incredible. I was not wanting to say she looked old, but she did not look like a twelve year old.
Speaker 2: None of them did.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things where I literally had to rewind it to say did they say.
Speaker 3: I did too, And then we're in the letters that were in the background because of course I'm looking for my Sabrina Seas.
Speaker 4: I'm like, these idiots, look it says HS.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, oh no, there's a junior high. Okay, never mind, like, wait a minute, Okay, Laurence Junior High.
Speaker 4: Okay, are supposed.
Speaker 2: To be graduating the eighth grade?
Speaker 3: No, no, because she just her character in general is just so mature.
Speaker 4: But all the same time, they all look yes, so way too old to be thirteen years old.
Speaker 1: Shia's character looked like he should be a freshman in high school. Yes, totally, yeah, so this was yeah, but they did. They all looked like they were bold. But anyway, she's still the overachieving rend Stephen. She's valedictorian and giving a very inspirational feat a very inspirational speech. Her family watches on, missing only her little brother Lewis and his friend Slash goofy sidekick Beans, who have said you know, they were dropped off there they want better seats. But in reality, Lewis is up to his normal technology based prank shenanigans with a remote control.
Speaker 2: Beach ball he invented.
Speaker 1: He floated above his sister, taking off for game and eventually attempting to chaotically explode it in confetti all over the audience. But because of a miscommunication with Beans, hands up dropping spaghetti instead.
Speaker 2: Of oh, Okay.
Speaker 1: I wanted to hate this where I'm like, come on, it's so Disney Channel. And then I'm like, wait, it's so Disney Channel. It's exactly what it should be.
Speaker 4: So funny, ohs.
Speaker 1: Gadgets and craziness, yes, and food going everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's quit.
Speaker 1: This one scene is quintessential Disney right here, Disney Channel. You've got wacky gadgets going with a valedictorian speech. Then everyone's covered in spaghetti. You could not possibly have it better than that.
Speaker 4: And now what's.
Speaker 3: Funny is back then I would have thought, oh my gosh, you know funny funny because it's spaghetti. Now I'm going think about the stains that everywhere, so mom.
Speaker 2: Of me, so saint.
Speaker 1: I love all the coaches, like eating the spaghetti off of them as it's there.
Speaker 3: And then oh gosh, and then he comes through with birds attacking him and.
Speaker 4: No one help.
Speaker 1: It's like holding the birds because you can't really tell you so funny though.
Speaker 3: This is when I went, oh, this is gonna be fun I was stoked about it.
Speaker 2: I did too.
Speaker 1: It's like, normally I would have hated this or the forty eight year old man and me, what are they doing?
Speaker 2: But I was like, no, this is quintessential Disney Channel.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I loved it. I was here for it.
Speaker 1: So Lewis is punished for his ongoing rival with his sister by the school's principal, and Ren is obviously furious, but weirdly, and this is I noticed this as well.
Speaker 2: This is starting to really aggravate me.
Speaker 1: Because I didn't I don't know the dynamics of the relationship yet because I'm just watching this my first time.
Speaker 2: His mom and dad aren't mad at him at.
Speaker 4: All, not at all. Not Les.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get the whole day, get nothing.
Speaker 3: Well, everyone gets dispersed as I think this is the time of the age when you've got your kids in high school and junior high and stuff that parents start to do this. Wait, we're not gonna everyone's got other things to do, and it's not us coordinating a dinner or lunch after graduation.
Speaker 4: They've all got their own stuff.
Speaker 3: But it's like, no, no, Lewis, you will be going with us wherever we're going, because you're also ground. You just ruined graduation, yeah, for not just your sister, for everyone, So your ass is ground.
Speaker 2: You're grounded.
Speaker 1: We're taking all of your technology away, I mean something, yes, but nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't great great parenting.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Wren gets over it quickly because she has dinner with her boyfriend of three months, Gil that, as you said, the pe coaches covered the spaghetti's attacked by pigeons. Okay, So I know this is weird because she's a good friend of mine. But she was a pretty.
Speaker 4: Girl Christian, you know, so cute, beautiful woman.
Speaker 2: But I'd never really seen her as a younger actor. She's a very pretty girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, she was a door very.
Speaker 1: Much pops on screen and has kind of that young movie star quality.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, At and.
Speaker 2: Wait for the title, because I loved it.
Speaker 1: At roller Cakes, the restaurant, which appears to be a diner with rotating syrup and roller skating waitresses, Wren is obviously very excited to spend the summer with Gil, but he breaks the news tour he's going to work at a Sleepway summer camp in Maine and wants some quote unquote time off they're taking a break. Ren quickly realizes he really just wants to meet other girls and be unencumbered, so she properly ditches him. Hey, I'm not going to be here waiting for you when you get back.
Speaker 4: This was my get it, Wren, you got it? Help him? No breaks for me, mister are done.
Speaker 1: I am not your second place, my friend, but her heart is obviously broken. She also, in a very funny moment, tries to dump syrup on his head, but the syrup's too thick.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had a long distance relationship?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I mean well, I don't know if anything could be considered a relationship. But when I was doing like the tour life and everything with the Cheetah girls, I was gone. I mean, to date me, you had to be very patient because I was never home.
Speaker 4: If you can come visit me.
Speaker 3: Out on tour, oh can you come to India.
Speaker 2: I was never an awesome relationship, I know.
Speaker 4: So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of people that were home and I would kind of date, but it never nothing really ever got serious.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well of course not because you could couldn't make it happen.
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't come to anything anything I was invited to. It's like, oh, let me check my schedule.
Speaker 4: Yeah no I'm not.
Speaker 1: Home, so yeah, yeah no. My wife and I have the opposite of that right now. Where if it's like if we're two rooms away, we're like, damn, we're far away from each other.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we're just together all the time. It's weird.
Speaker 4: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: We have a completely and horribly codependent relationship and it works for you.
Speaker 4: Does she go with you when you travel to all of the conventions and stuff?
Speaker 2: It depends.
Speaker 4: Depends.
Speaker 1: If I say to her like, hey babe, I'm going to Hawaii for a convention. I'm going to Whale, She's like, I'm in. If I'm like, hey babe, I'm going to Ohio, she's.
Speaker 2: Like, have fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Which is strange because, for the record, oh hih that's a great place.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But honestly, no, she doesn't come everywhere with it. It's more it's with the dog and everything.
Speaker 4: It's like, sure, no, yeah, I have a dog.
Speaker 2: You have two children. It's the same thing.
Speaker 1: The next day, Lewis is showing off his newest invention to his assorted friends from the TV show, his best friend Twitty, his love interest Tawny, and another pal Tom. It's the Twitty Tawny Tom Show. It is an ultra lounge dramatic superchair serving him slurpees, feeding him hot dogs, and giving him intense massages, making for the perfect lazy summer. I would give my right arm to have that now where I could press a button and a slurfee's in my face and then a hot dog's in my face.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But there was multiple times I was gonna say to my pretty seas that it got a little someone's the hands and the things that were happening got a little just the right amount of creepy, weird and creepy. But they glazed right over it. It wasn't too bad. It never really like crossed the line, but it was definitely I mean, you know, Ren gets her booty slapped, you know she does. It's it's kind of okay, little racy, but not bad.
Speaker 2: Always trust the hand that has a hot dog in That's my motto. Just better.
Speaker 1: But yes, it also has a big TV, giving us a quick glimpse of a hidden camera show called Gotcha, which is the one that is hosted by Dave Coolier. Mag In the house, Ren appears to be going through a toxic positivity breakdown, pretending to be unaffected by her breakup and also drinking a gallon of orange juice like a weirdo right from the bottom of the strainer, and it was very funny. The truth is she's actually affected and breaks down just at the mere thought of poor Gil.
Speaker 2: But then Beans arrives.
Speaker 1: Ren is taking a babysitting job to get her mind off her ex for she thinks it's going to be a day, but appears that Bean's parents are in hell Sinky for three weeks, most likely to get away from him. As he sits there and really creepily smells a spoon that he guesses they had rice pudding. He also unloads a roller bag full of cooked bacon. So could there be an HBO spinoff of Just Beans where you found that he's in fact a serial killer?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Oh god, I think you were going that way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, such a weird little kid, right, and it just it does didn't make you think of some of not I mean, I don't think I had any friends like that strange, but the idea of your child having this super weird kid.
Speaker 4: You want to love and embrace them, but they're just so.
Speaker 1: You keep saying, kid, how old is he supposed to be? Is he supposed to be the same age?
Speaker 3: So I was going to say, he looks so much younger, and I think what happened is the rest of the characters matured, you know, as as most kids do, you know, according to growth whatever.
Speaker 4: And he was much shorter. His face hadn't developed.
Speaker 3: You know, into that like more of a young Yeah, he seemed to be.
Speaker 4: He seemed to look very aging.
Speaker 1: At a much slower rate than the rest of y Yes, yeah, but he was again I could just see him opening another zipper bag and.
Speaker 3: Feet And also, his parents aren't going to con tack run and Lewis's parents about them having their child for three weeks. And we are now doing this thing that the Disney Channel has done a lot, is these terrible parents.
Speaker 1: I know, the terrible parents trope. But you also have to keep in mind this is it's Helsinki in two thousand and three. They didn't get phones till two thousand and six in Helston.
Speaker 4: Okay, but there's phones in America.
Speaker 2: Right, But his parents are gone and they're in hell, you know, but they left, Like, oh, that's true. You know, I'm kidding, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, right, I do know you're kidding. Will. I'm just not shocked anymore.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 4: You're not getting me anymore. Okay, I'm getting used to this. I'm not I'm not look at it. You can't me.
Speaker 2: I feel nothing.
Speaker 5: Will will He was sixteen so he could legally drink.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: That's true, That's true. God, No, look at me.
Speaker 4: I'm not affected. I'm I'm dumb, you doo, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Well. No, we've gotten you far enough.
Speaker 1: When you're dead on the outside as well as on the inside, I'm dead both. So when you're there with me, well know when it's just you're just dead on the inside too.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty bright and shiny, so good luck with you.
Speaker 5: You are.
Speaker 2: You are a prott shiny Penny.
Speaker 1: Ren finds out by the way that Lewis has been using her pantyhose to block mosquitos in a superchair, and they're back to fighting. They are like cats and dogs, or like two dogs that don't like each other?
Speaker 2: Are two cats that don't like each other?
Speaker 1: Fly, I think it's inappropriate to just think dogs and cats don't like each other. Also, it's worth noting that Lewis is reading a magazine called Get Rich. Ren eventually gets trapped in the chair as she's trying to rip everything down. She gets decorated as a Chocolate Sunday and spun around until she's propelled her out fifteen feet away. This is the messiest decom we've seen so far, I think, and at this point I'm here for it because it is just Nickelodeon Disney Channel. It's I would say, mid nineties. I know it's early two thousands, but mid nineties Shenanigans is what this movie seems to be about. The chair runs them up and almost into a suited man Miles, played by the before mentioned an awesome Tim Meadows. He's walked into the backyard looking for the Stevens. He comes bearing very good news. They have won an all expense paid vacation to the beautiful island paradise of Mandolino, which if you haven't heard of that it's because it's fake. The family is not enthused, they've never heard of Mandolino like us, but Miles plays a video showing it's a very friendly, exotic, and beautiful place and never before has it been offered to families to go there for vacation. But because Eileen is a state senator and Steve is lawyer, even though they say that he's in between jobs right now. They just want a true review at the end of the trip because they want to see if the island could become a big tourist destination, and the Stevens are the perfect American family for that. Everyone wants to go, except Lewis, who totally freaks out when the family agrees to go and they have to bring beans along. We then speed to Mandolino as the family lands in a prop plane and the island looks stunningly gorgeous. Hundreds of natives are waiting for them. They're chanting their name, and it's a mix between actors who look like they live there and many extras from ninety eight degrees videos as well.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of tribal armband tattoos.
Speaker 1: Tim Meadows introduced them to Cheep Tuca, who presents them with traditional hats of friendship, and this all feels like they're working on some stereotypes that wouldn't work nowadays. It were, it plays, especially when you find out that what's going on, But they wouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: In twenty It would be a caution or they just yeah before the movie runs.
Speaker 2: But it worked, it.
Speaker 1: Worked, right, Yeah, they would give you the warning, but in the movie it all works and Beans won't let go of his beautiful greeter person, which is he's just a real hornball. That's why I swear to God he's gonna end up being a serial killer.
Speaker 3: I know, but it's funny. But it's also funny to go. I can't believe Disney Channel.
Speaker 4: Yeahs doing some of those stuff. I mean, that was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 1: This is where Wren meets mood Tie, a frosted tips hunk that catches her eye. Now you mentioned before shirtless guys and dcoms didn't always do it for you.
Speaker 2: Did Mootie pull it off?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I was just like, no, no, because I.
Speaker 3: Was really again like going, okay, sure, sure, you're that character, you're that character.
Speaker 4: Where is the plot twist?
Speaker 3: I kept I'm just waiting for it anxiously, what's gonna make this just so crazy?
Speaker 2: A shirtless Josh Keaton wasn't doing it for you? Huh?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, nicest guy in the world, but not.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm sure he's fantastic and has a just sweet heart.
Speaker 2: I wasn't doing it for you. Not your type.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, curly hair is not my thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and he had the multiple styles of curly hair, like multiple colored curly hair. Yes, the family is taken to see the palace that they're staying in and it is absolutely epic and an exterior green screen shop for sure. This is where the special effects in this movie were not great. You saw it with the are spinning around before. But again I kept saying to myself early two thousands d com.
Speaker 3: Yes, but again I rerounded a couple times for me.
Speaker 4: When Bren and Lewis are walking into.
Speaker 3: It, you could almost see the outline of the yeah yeah, the run into it and that green screen was really not great, not up to par even back then. I feel like it was weird because I, you know, wouldn't expect that for the even Stevens movie.
Speaker 1: There's a Beeves about head where they're watching and he just goes, wow, these these effects aren't very special, and that's kind of what I was thinking as I was watching this. But anyway, the kids fight for the best room that they can have. Miles explained that the Eeland is a source for good fortune and positive energy, and that seems to be true as Beans is immediately getting a manicure. Donnie is surrounded by hot women and the parents are being fed grapes by another couple, showing that they are clearly so weird.
Speaker 4: Oh weird.
Speaker 2: Put that upside down pineapple to test which.
Speaker 4: That great creep it was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But during a run, Donnie runs into an island native named Lailo who looks exactly like a former classmate of his in high school, Patrick Green, And that's our first kind of that's weird. Then Ren and Mootai meat back up on the beach, and Mooti suggests she smelled the ocean to take in the beauty of the flower and bask in the light of her smile. Dude's got riz and he spit in some lines and back on the beach. The Stevens have been given an island delicacy as a gift from the tribe, a disgusting sausage sized white slug on a stick. They have to eat it to not offend anyone, and to no one's shocked, Beans loves the worm and wants some more.
Speaker 2: I'd try it, I try anything once.
Speaker 1: Miles also confides in Lewis there are American snacks in the palace. The chief hides them for when he has the munchies, so Lewis sneaks away to go find them. While searching for the treats, Lewis stumbles upon a golden statue that triggers a hidden door to the Bitten Chamber of Mystery. I'm guessing this is a callback to the Brady Bunch tik Tiki idol.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I was.
Speaker 3: I was trying to follow it along. I didn't understand then nothing really happened with the snacks.
Speaker 2: I didn't get, no, the whole point. They explain it later.
Speaker 3: Yes, I didn't get, but I didn't get the golden thing because it.
Speaker 2: Kind of just went over just what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: So they're trying to explain that he can't say no to a do not open sign, so that they do not open signs everywhere. Yeah, he's going to see something shining like a gold statue, which is just going to get him to the chair, and his friend has told him obviously that the chair is important.
Speaker 3: It didn't like reveal a curtain, It didn't do anything like that. He picked it up and just looked to the left and there was a door that said didn't open, so he.
Speaker 2: Opened it up.
Speaker 4: It was very like, wait, what.
Speaker 2: Did I didn't have to watch.
Speaker 3: It a couple of times, and I'm like, I'll wait until Will explains it because I'm out.
Speaker 4: I'm out. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just did a friend.
Speaker 1: I'd like to do my fifty to fifty lifeline. Yes, So anyway, Lewis stumbles upon a golden statue the triggers a hidden door to the forbidden Chamber of mystery. It warns him by sign do not open, but of course he does. An inside is an innately decorated throne that he can't, of course help sit on because we've already shown his fetishizing chairs. When he pulls a lever thinking it will recline the seat, the house erupts and eventually just crumbles into rubble, infuriating the locals and the chief and displaying some again horrible cgiant model work. The explosion also apparently puts a curse on the entire village, but to avoid the upset villagers, the Stevens are forced to sleep on the beach and split up to get things done. Mom, Donnie, and Lewis go to get wood to build a hut. When they run in two miles, he says the tribelders are meeting and if they can go sincerely apologize to them, everything will be fine. But they can only apologize in groups of three, so they can't go get the rest of their family. They eventually arrived at a luau of sorts and apologize to Chief Tuca and a fire god tiki statue. Then they sit for a massive traditional meal.
Speaker 3: This gave me finding Nemo in the tank so.
Speaker 2: So trying to even think about that, but oh, it really does. It absolutely does.
Speaker 1: On the other side of the island now, Ren, Beans and Dad are trying to build a hut and they're also very, very hungry. Ren decides she's going to go see what's taking the other trio so long, and then Beans, in truly the creepiest moment in the history of the Disney Channel, turns to Steve Stevens and asks if he wants to go skinny dipping. I've just tripped out in my mind. I was like, I'm gonna pretend I didn't see or hear any of that happening.
Speaker 2: Very weird.
Speaker 1: Ren runs into a huge snake and is saved by Mutai, forcing their flirting into hyperdrive. When he goes to give her a puka necklace made up of quote, every shell she's walked on since she arrived on the island. Okay, so curly haired, creepy guy who doesn't do it for Sabrina just followed her around and every time she stepped on a shell, he'd stop to pick it up and made a necklace.
Speaker 2: It's a confusing necklace origin story. You might as well be like, these are the baby teeth you had, and I wait to your house.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And to even try to pull off that that necklace was anything but god awful.
Speaker 4: It was the ugliest necklace.
Speaker 3: It reminded me of my friend Carrie's necklace that her boyfriend got her in high school. And it was just this big silver boat and she wore good pride and we were all like Carrie or Sherry in her necklace from Felix.
Speaker 2: Did she hate it but wear it because she loved him? Or she loved it?
Speaker 3: I think she actually liked it. You just kind of take whatever, you know. No one in high school has a good.
Speaker 4: Ton of money.
Speaker 3: But it was massive. It was a massive silver heart. Love you carry. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Girlfriend gave me.
Speaker 1: A necklace like that one time after she came back from a trip, and I was so excited because over the phone, she's like, when you when I get home, I'm gonna give you a hookah. And it turned out to be something different than I thought it was gonna be. Anyway, he drops the fact that her family is currently feasting with the elders with it, which infuriates her. They are starving. Also, her dad barely made fire before. Beans just sneezes it out. Things are not going great for them yet the other three are over there having like a giant Hilton buffet. Miles also lies and says that her family didn't want to get them because it meant more food for them.
Speaker 2: So we're now starting to see that Miles is.
Speaker 4: Yes on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 1: We are now back at the feast and the fire god Tiki named Oprah by total coincidence, has made its decision.
Speaker 2: They are unworthy of an apology.
Speaker 1: They will now be shunned by the village and ignore and as soon as they can fly home is seven days. They return to their bitter family members and Beans immediately smells pork Ren is jealous of the feast, and there is already dissension among the troops as it starts to rain. Now this is where we get there Sabrina. Finally, we jump into what we think is another one of those weird dcom montages that can happen at any point in the movie.
Speaker 2: But no, this is the twist here. It is we see footage from their.
Speaker 1: Time on the island because it's the opening of a TV show called Family Fake Out, which is hosted by Miles. He's in the middle of a massive mobile production studio. He reveals it's all been a TV show and all of the natives are, in fact actors. Everything that has happened to them has been set up by the show, even the rain, and it's based on tips from a friend back at home, who we find out was Twitty now watching his couch with Tawny and feeling bad about being a snitch. Everybody knows that hell man come on the island.
Speaker 4: Seriously not first friend, good thank you.
Speaker 1: So the question that becomes can the Stephens survive a week in paradise? The show has already PopEd, learn everyone's watching. Did you guys play pranks on each other when you're cheating?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Did you do any cheated cheated chatter pranks? Were there anything going on.
Speaker 4: Yes, we did. We did. We did with our tour bus for sure.
Speaker 2: Did you do? What did you do?
Speaker 3: We would uh lock people out of the tour bus and to where they thought that because you had to put a code to get in, So we would change the code. We would do things like that, and you know, especially when it was people like our road manager and people that needed to get stuff on for other people on the in the arena and they're sitting like what is going on? Why can't you know? And they're they're calling on the walkies trying to find somebody. We told everyone what we were going to do. Yeah, so we would try to We would do stuff like that, stuff to where they were like panicking thinking, oh my gosh, so and so it's not going to need, you know, get her thing that she needs to do the show, because yeah, we would lock it up.
Speaker 4: And we would put a camera to where you could see everything.
Speaker 1: You only have to answer with a yes or no, And I promised to not ask any follow up questions. Did anybody ever hook up on the bus?
Speaker 2: Yes the way you said that too.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm making course, like I said, you're talking months and months of being on their road.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, one gets to go home like ever, we would go home for a day, you know. So yeah, there was there was lots of one of our makeup artists and our tour manager got married.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was nice.
Speaker 2: I will ask you more questions late well.
Speaker 3: And also when people would have their boyfriends or girlfriends come, you know, we had to come onto the bus.
Speaker 4: We would have you know, dancers.
Speaker 3: A lot of the dancers had boyfriends or boyfriends and girlfriends and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, good, it's a good answer.
Speaker 1: So now we know the chief is an actor, and that the villager who Donnie thought was his old classmate actually was his old classmate. And the guy can't believe that Donnie actually remembered him because he graduated three years before.
Speaker 4: But and Donnie's a little bit of a ding dong.
Speaker 2: He's a ding dong.
Speaker 1: He's also fifty five years old, so his memory should be going by now. But still, Tim Meadows is very happy with the results so far. He just hopes it's better than Gotcha the show We established the beginning with Dave Coolier because that was a show that he was fired from. Meanwhile, on Family Fake Outs Morning, edition, the Stevens are just waking up and Beans has been farting all night long. I am not normally a fan of a fart joke, but Shia's reaction was.
Speaker 2: Terracle. It was also just the ways like.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was just it was so funny, literal laugh moment for me.
Speaker 2: He was absolutely great. Steve Brennan.
Speaker 1: Beans go back out looking for food, only to run into a killer squirrel that tries to attack them. Now we have seen behind the scenes here. We know that the squirrel is in fact animatronic, but it's mechanical. They don't know that, but as always they wow, what are the chances? They run into Miles again, who says he's set up an emergency food drop for them, and the trio run after a parachute that was dropped from the sky that falls too far away to see right away. Said, oh, the wind must have taken it, so they have to hike up from there. And just to mess with Donnie's mind even more, Miles instructs Donnie's old classmate to walk by him and pretend he's on the way to class. He's dressed like he's still in high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, letterman jacket it just to make him think.
Speaker 2: He's hallucinating in the middle of the jungle.
Speaker 4: And he pulls it off like I'm going to home room, I'm late.
Speaker 1: What are you doing, I'm late for class and he's like what. So his family obviously doesn't believe that he saw these people. They're just trying to make poor Donnie feel like he's not seventy five years old, which he obviously is.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, of course.
Speaker 1: Lewis says he's so hungry this morning he thought he saw a Hamburger doing yoga, and then Miles arrives to Mom, Lewis and Donnie, giving a totally different story and trail to follow for the food drop. So Miles shows up and gets both families to go opposite directions to figure what's going on. He says their other family members already ate some of the food, again, trying to create tension amongst them. Both families find the creative foods separately, obviously because they take different paths, but everything has been ransacked, so they all assume that the other group did it.
Speaker 2: Back at home.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Twitty and Tawny watched the TV show from the roller skating diner and find out that they're not taping at an island halfway around the world. They're just in Catalona, which I don't know why they couldn't just say Catalina.
Speaker 4: I don't either.
Speaker 3: It was like Catalona is literally Catalina with an oh.
Speaker 4: I mean, why couldn't you say Catalina?
Speaker 3: Is it trade that's to say Florida tonight exactly?
Speaker 2: So Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, No, it's Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they're in Catalona, which is just a couple of miles away. A guilty feeling, Twitty hopes he can somehow travel to them and tell them what's going on. So he convinces Tom, their third friend from earlier, who apparently owns his own boat, to sail them to the island.
Speaker 4: The junior high kid owns his own boat.
Speaker 2: Are you a fan of boats? Yes?
Speaker 4: I love them? Do you really yes? Love them?
Speaker 2: Do you get si?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I've gotten seasick once and it is absolutely horrible, So I misunderstand. Yeah, I understand people that do get seasick why they wouldn't because it was probably one of the top ten worst nights of my life.
Speaker 4: I just hated it. And the only thing you can do when you get seasick is go to sleep, Yeah, and just ride it out. Nothing.
Speaker 3: Once you get seasick, there's nothing to cure it besides sleeping and resetting your body.
Speaker 2: And baking better life choices to where you don't end up on a boat. That's just about the better thing you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But back on the evening edition of Family Fake Out, the family meets up on the beach and they're all very mad at each other about the food debacle. They stay separated, but Ren and Mootai are certainly heating up and close to kissing. Tim Meadows then asked the audience to vote in real time if they should kiss, and even though they overwhelmingly voted yes.
Speaker 2: And by overwhelming that I mean.
Speaker 1: There's like forty million votes. Literally, it's great in real time. Yeah, she's comes very close and then well she blocks him.
Speaker 2: That's right. Ren just isn't ready yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On the boat, then Twitty has brought Tawny and Tom to the location I've just loved saying Twitty, Tony and Tom. But Twitty and Tawny have taken a dinghy because it's too choppy for the boat. They jump off the boat, only to get hit by a massive wave. By the way, when she gets off the dinghy, so he gets hit by the wave, he falls off, they get separated.
Speaker 2: She then pulls into the land.
Speaker 1: She's getting off the boat with one leg and an actual wave hits her and she falls back in the boat. You could tell it wasn't scripted because she's laughing as it happens.
Speaker 2: It's very funny.
Speaker 5: Can I ask a question as well while we're talking about details. Yeah, when Twitty asks, or I guess tells them that they can jump on his dinghy.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing that went through my head because.
Speaker 5: Then there's a pause and almost like a sound effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was certainly a Disney Channel stab at a penis joke. Wow, that's what I thought if they wanted to jump on his on his dinghy.
Speaker 4: I mean, but that is what it's called when you're on a big bag, you know, the correct term.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and then the way they they quickly did it, you know, that was kind of it was a strange moment.
Speaker 1: But anyway, as he arrives, Twitty gets busted by security immediately. He pretends he is a marine biologist named Lars Buttertoast, which is I'm using that somewhere because it's a great fake Dave and acts like he does not know the Stevens personally, but Tim Meadows finally realizes it's Twitty, the guy who gave him all the info, so he locks him up in the wardrobe trailer. Meanwhile, Tawny gets a concussion because she gets hit in the head full on by a coconut, which.
Speaker 2: By the way, can kill you. Yes, that's people die.
Speaker 1: From getting hit in the head by coconuts. Tawny just forgot random things like why she was there, yeah, which is weird. On the island, tim Meadows finds out they beat Gotcha in the ratings by one point, but it's not enough for him. He wants to clobber them so oh in the ultimate of dcom Dick Moves, he tells Mutai to get that kiss from RHND tomorrow and then Dumper. And because Mootai, much like the actor who plays him, is such a nice guy, he can tell this bothers him.
Speaker 4: I mean yes, and it's like, you really start feeling for Wren. Oh, it's already gone through a breakup.
Speaker 1: Why does she have to get just her little brothered over clearly loved more than by her parents who let this kid get away with anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is just you really do start to feel for her. Yes. The next day, Lewis, his mom and Donnie, who slept in the dirt. They have no food.
Speaker 1: Things are getting rough, especially when Lewis finds one peanut that they try to separate three ways, but it is then stolen by the wild robot squirrel, leaving them with nothing. Ren, her dad, and Beans are in a similar predicament. They lost their fire because Beans pete on it in the middle of the night. As anybody used to campell out. By the way, when you pee on a fire, it just sticks. Reren gets in an argument with her dad and takes off to go see Mootai, who's contemplating life on a rock. She wants to go home and Moutie goes off script. He says, one day, very soon, she'll be back with her family and we'll feel like this was never real. Then they totally mac on each other and possibly the first ever tongue sloppy dcom kiss man.
Speaker 3: This kiss was unreal. It was a shocking moment. It seemed like it went on for a very long time.
Speaker 1: This is what I thought being Pooka was. This is what I thought was gonna happen, I mean, craziness. All of a sudden, Mootie starts morphing into Jason, which is his real name we find out later, and starts to tell him the truth, much like I can't remember the actress's name. Who's about to tell uh Jim Carrey the truth in the Truman Show that same moment. Yes, Tim Meadows then gets on and calls for a code read, and villagers run up and take.
Speaker 2: Him away, blaming everything on Lewis.
Speaker 1: I always the entire time that's thinking, why does he just go You're on a TV show?
Speaker 2: Uh, that's all you got to say? See how fast it was on a TV show that quick? I just said it twice.
Speaker 1: You're on a TV show three times? That's all that's I've already done. Meanwhile, Twitty somehow got out of this trailer. It is now dressed as a villager, blending him with the actors and infiltrating the production tent, pulling out all the cords.
Speaker 2: Just as Ren and Lewis were about to fight, the network cuts.
Speaker 1: To Holiday Fun with Cynthia Mills, which is a very fun Easter egg for even Stevens viewers who might remember her from an episode of the show as Wren's favorite newscaster.
Speaker 4: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, very cool. Hilariously, she is teaching viewers how to paint an Easter egg. Another little joke there. She's the easter forget tim Meadows scrambles to get a show back on the air. As Donnie runs into Tawny on the island, nervous she is also a mirage, he rushes her to his parents, who have reunited and figured out with Beans that they've been scammed by Miles all along. Donnie reveals Tawny, who he's happy to hear, is in fact real, and then she tells them all about the TV show so after she gets her memory back after being clonked on the head. Since they're currently off the air, them coming to their senses isn't transmitted to the public or Miles what we don't see this. We kind of don't know what's going on, but we know they're not in the air right now, because she's like, when we see we.
Speaker 2: Know they're twitty. Yeah, Twitty's like, actually, they're not on the air right now.
Speaker 1: We learn that a little bit later, but they then run into Twitty, who admits he sold out the family. The Stevens want to come up with a plan to get the family fake out back, but first they must find Ren and Lewis before they actually kill each other. And again, I did not watch the series, but I think for fans of this, this is the culmination of three years of the brothers and sisters being at each other. She is now armed with a spear and looking feral, and this is kind of wow. It's about It goes back.
Speaker 3: To she has been dealing with years and years of what happened at her graduation.
Speaker 4: During her speech, this is right years visit. She has at it.
Speaker 1: It's going down at it. The show goes back on the air just as Ren is sharpening a spirit a killer brother. She's gone stark, raving, mad, Lord of the Fly style. She has rage in her eyes. When she finally catches up to Lewis, she says he ruined her life the day he was born, and she's literally growling now. She chases him through the jungle as America watches on, eventually leading him to a very high ledge. Any further and he will die just then Miles shows up at a jeep frantically trying to calm Rade down. The whole Stevens family joins and they're all trying to end the situation. Miles and the Stephens family even reveal they're actually on a TV show.
Speaker 2: But Ren doesn't believe it. She's too far gone. She can't take Lewis anymore.
Speaker 1: And now she's pushed him over the ledge and it looks like he's fallen to his death.
Speaker 4: It's like, what, Oh my gosh, tons I've been Wake up, Wren. This has to be a dream. There's no way.
Speaker 1: Shagged rocks in a giant cliff and he is off. Miles is now sobbing.
Speaker 2: He's so sorry.
Speaker 1: It wasn't supposed to end this way. The family is beside themselves, and then we hear a helicopter. Wren is laughing and the Stevens are loving it. Helicopter flies up. It is Dave Coolier in the chopper with a twist on a twist. He's the host of Gotcha and they pranked Miles on his own show. Lewis actually this.
Speaker 2: I just had to let this go because none it made any sense.
Speaker 1: But Lewis actually apparently jumped into a net that we didn't see, which also just dangerous as hell, and the helicopter ended up saving him with the giant ladder, which we also didn't see even though it was right under everything.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm in I got it. It's liney chase.
Speaker 3: No one there on the ladder, like when they save people that way, someone's on the ladder with them on them.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, none of it made it.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, Shia Labuff has not hit his transformer body yet, so his arms are not able to support his body.
Speaker 4: Waits on that ladder, no way.
Speaker 1: And also let's let the apparent he's supposed to be like eleven or twelve year old climb up on the helicopter ladder by himself. But it's funny because when they fly up and it's the stunt guy who's clearing his forties.
Speaker 5: It was fine, but.
Speaker 4: They're like, oh no, big Dylles the stunt guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, but he actually jumped into the net. The helicopter saved him. It was all set up to prank the prankster. Then we flipped the channel to Gotcha and hear all about how Twitty and Tawny called the Rival show and helped the Stevens turn the tables. Miles knows his careers over and tries to make a run for it.
Speaker 2: We then cut to Ren.
Speaker 1: She's got a lot in her mind. She's staring off the beautiful ocean. Lewis runs up. Their plane home has arrived. She apologizes for blaming him for everything, and Lewis says he would never do anything to hurt her and it is a very nice moment and a great way I imagine to end the series. Yeah, they love it, and he says, well, what about Jason, and she says, I have no idea what you're talking about. And then Mutai appears Jason is his real name, to give him some alone time. Shia does an incredible roll off the ledge that he should have won another Emmy Ford just for that awesome Jason says he may be an actor, but he really liked Ren Justice. Her dad makes a final call to board. He asks if he can see her again, and Christy.
Speaker 2: Leans in.
Speaker 1: Mouth already open to suck face with Jason for another kiss. Wow, it's the first time we see actual tongue. Incredible and he can now consider that yes, they will see each other again. Music plays as the family boards the plane and we get one last hug and a cute little cheek kis between Wren and Lewis. They then fly away and we get some update from Beans on our characters. Donnie went off to college which is clearly green screen by the way, where he excelled in football, baseball, and philosophy.
Speaker 2: Okay, not philosophy. Mister Steven's got a new job at a new firm.
Speaker 1: Lewis is back in his super lounge share now with Tawny as some sparks seem to be sparked between them and Ren and Moutai aka Jason. She's already pregnant because of the way they've been kissing. They have taken it very good.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding. They've just become inseparable.
Speaker 1: They are a steady couple, and Beans gets a lot of quality time with the Stevens, now hopefully doing some skinny dipping, interrupting their family dinner and sparking a huge argument. We leave right where we started before the vacation, with everybody at each other's throats. Then we cut to Christy Carlson Romano in a bit of a music video with all the characters from the movie in her band, including Shia on drums. She's singing a song called dream Vacation, and in true Decom fashion, we see bloopers from everyone in characters dancing along to the jam. We freeze on a hog between Christy and Shia out of character, and the credits roll the end, and there's your film.
Speaker 2: Everybody's wo Sabrina. Why don't we do some real reviews? What do you think of that? I think you've got the five star?
Speaker 3: Yes, we have the five star this week. What it got for us from an unnamed review? Yes, I am a Disney girl. This movie makes me laugh so incredibly high, so incredibly hard.
Speaker 4: Shia rocks my socks.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I like that rocks my socks. I have the one star this week, and it is from somebody named Molly A. Not my type of movie. HH seven and U U B five G five R star B R F E D d fff. I'm doing this so I can be done with the review. And yes, there is a character minimum on these reviews.
Speaker 2: One star.
Speaker 1: So I'd love to sit down with Molly A and say, why even take the time, Mollie.
Speaker 4: Yes, did you not like the show? Because this is just not making sense why.
Speaker 1: Even if you're literally gonna gen j JMT, why even take the time we are now going to come to I like it, but it is Sabrina's favorite segment of every episode that we do.
Speaker 2: It is our weekly feature where we get to play games and oh does she love these?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: We have one this week again from producer Jensen. This week, we're playing a game called even Stevens or Unbalanced Malice. We will be given two things and we must decide if they are the same numerically even stevens or not the same. For example, we might get half a dozen eggs and Resident Evil Movies and that would be even Stevens because they're both six. I'm gonna be honest with you, I did not read that well. I don't know the answers any week, but sometimes I read through the questions. I didn't even read through the questions this time because I thought the it was so interesting the concept at the top that I was like, let's see because it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of math but also kind of pop culture.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna suck at this, all right?
Speaker 2: Three out of five?
Speaker 5: Good chance, Sabrina, you are gonna suck at this.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be great here, we go three out of five wins. Okay, Number one inches in a foot and people in a traditional US journey. I'm pretty sure I know this.
Speaker 2: Is even Stevens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twelve, even Stevens A twelve, very good start, everyone.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Number two work gets convoluted. The amount of starting basketball players on one team and the number of seasons of step by step there were?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, you pick first.
Speaker 4: On a starting team?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 4: How many are out on the court?
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding, Lifeline, I'm gonna say, unbalanced mallet.
Speaker 2: I think there's five starters in a basket.
Speaker 1: I thought they did seven at seven or eight of step by Steve, feel like.
Speaker 4: There was so many seasons of step by step.
Speaker 2: Unbalanced from both of us. What do you got, Jensen?
Speaker 5: Unbalanced? Mouse? Will is so good at this, he got it five and seven?
Speaker 2: Yes, love that.
Speaker 4: Wait, there's only five out on the basketball court.
Speaker 2: There seems there's so many ten ten total? Yeah, okay, yeah, five five on the start right, five on each team? Okay? Number three? Then, oh jeez.
Speaker 1: This the number of WrestleManias there have been and the amount of singles. Michael Jackson had the Billboard Hot one hundred in his career.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go's gonna know that. I don't know Jensen.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with even Stevens though, because I feel like there's a million WrestleManias.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I think we've got to pick the numbers.
Speaker 4: We have to pick the numbers we have this.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say even Stevens, and I'm going to say it's going to be one hundred and six.
Speaker 2: Haven't there been like one hundred WrestleManias?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm trying to think how many Michael Jackson albums do you think there were?
Speaker 4: There's like twelve or twelve to fifteen on each album.
Speaker 2: He's gotta have.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say one hundred and six, even Stevens.
Speaker 5: Okay, No, it's unbalanced, malice forty WrestleMania's fifty one Michael Jackson has.
Speaker 4: Ohkay, wow, Wow, numbers are not as big as I thought they'd be.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, Okay. Number four is the number of movies about American distance runners.
Speaker 2: So random.
Speaker 1: The number of movies about American distance runner Steve Prefontaine and the amount of times quote I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse, is said.
Speaker 2: In The Godfather. Oh my gosh, do you want to take a stab?
Speaker 3: It's gotta be unbalanced malice because I don't know of any movie about this random runner guy.
Speaker 2: Okaye know who he is?
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, Okay, So I think it's unbalanced malice. I think there were two. I think there was that Steve Prefontaine the Story and then Without Limits I think was So I think there were two, and I think I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse is only said one.
Speaker 2: So I think it's two and one.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean, I'm going to give you the win. But I do think the creepier part of this is there are two Prefontein movies, which both Will and I would know. But I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse is said three times in The Godfather.
Speaker 1: Is real?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 3: I feel like it was said a couple of times in The Godfather. Yeah, three times. I knew it was definitely more than two. Yeah, So I figured, yeah, I thought there'd be more than the movies about this.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, wow, the Steve Prefontaine, it's a pretty amazing story actually is this guy his coach on a waffle iron made him new shoes, which is how the Nike company started. Oh wow, literally as a runner from Oregon who, right before he was going to go to the Olympics was killed in a car accident.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's great, I can get really good story.
Speaker 1: There was the good one with Billy crewed up, and then there was the bad one with Jared Leto.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, anyway, number five. In the last one, we have touchdowns thrown by Peyton.
Speaker 1: Manning in twenty thirteen said in the all time record for quarterbacks and the amount of months the original Star Trek ran from debut to cancelation.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I know it, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is random. So I'm gonna do even Stevens.
Speaker 2: I think it's even Stevens two, but only because I think it was thirty six months for Star Trek, because the original Star Trek only did three seasons.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna I'm wondering if it's gonna be thirty six touchdowns as well.
Speaker 5: Let's see Steven Stevens at fifty five.
Speaker 1: Fifty five Wait a minute, fifty five months. Oh, they must have broken it up because they only did three seasons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fifty five got bank a right, fifty five win. I mean there's a slight asterisk here, but you win.
Speaker 2: I don't consider that a win. Sabrina can take the win. I don't consider I lost that as far as.
Speaker 4: I can't even care anymore. Again, you can't phaze me, numb, I'm not thank you once.
Speaker 1: Again, Producer Jensen for kind of making us feel like winners while also losers.
Speaker 3: Only loser always, Thanks much, And we do a Sabrina seas of course. First thing right from the start when we get this, oh, I just got hacked. So I'm like uber irrit it. Yes, and I'm uber irritated with all things. This is why I don't like computers and everything. And that got me so creeped out from the start of this movie, right the whole, just in the the web and it just yucky. And then we go onto the craziest And you would think by now they've done three seasons they'd have some type of family picture somewhere that they took to put up in their house just for a set object. Is the worst photoshot picture, I mean, like Shilah in the corner looking like he's sitting on someone's lap, like like you just look.
Speaker 4: It just is not good. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Right from the.
Speaker 3: Beginning, I'm going, oh my gosh, I never get a Sabrina sees that fat another is and sure, I'm sure you know will because Christie's voice is just dominating that initial Alma Mater that they're singing, and you know, she has just this amazing voice, and I just love that right from the start, you recognize it, you know it's her voice.
Speaker 4: I loved that. Of course, the no.
Speaker 3: Grounding, there was many dad and mom things, no grounding. Where are where is Bean's parents? And then also the dad looks at the mom and daughter when they're having a moment after the breakup, and it's like, this is a this looks like a mother daughter conversation.
Speaker 4: No empathy, nothing towards this board girl. So that was crazy.
Speaker 3: I've already talked about the run into the castle. The green screen just really shocked me.
Speaker 2: The outline one y.
Speaker 3: And I know that it's we're thinking back in the day, but even back in the day, they had a lot better green screen stuff than this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the effects weren't great.
Speaker 3: The Jersey used a lot of green screen stuff, and it always looked that great.
Speaker 4: It looked good, you know, for that time. The snake. So, I don't know if I've told you about my situations with snakes. I hate them. I missed every time that snake came around, even the the one that was like a robot. I couldn't even.
Speaker 2: I'm really what I'm getting for your birthday?
Speaker 3: I felt like from here on out, I'm going to ask the producers please let me know that at some point, because it really I just it took me a moment, had to stop, get out, you really don't like snakes much, crap together, and just oh it was horrible. Finally the twist, I was so stoked that part really just went. Disney knows how to do what it seems like everything correct.
Speaker 2: Double twist, double twist.
Speaker 3: The double twist was amazing. And then I have to say this because I feel bad. I'm sure it's not her fault.
Speaker 4: Tawny, is it? Tawi was the front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this poor girl.
Speaker 4: Had probably the worst wardrobe we have really seen. She I never noticed the wardrobe so random.
Speaker 3: She had a top that was just a brown just around the chest area was brown and everything else was batterned.
Speaker 2: It was weird.
Speaker 4: I felt bad. I felt bad.
Speaker 2: I felt bad.
Speaker 3: The coconut sound when her head gets hit. Why was it a cartoon sound?
Speaker 4: But was it like bing bing? It was so weird. The last but not least.
Speaker 3: I just needed to know this because of course, you know me, I'm such such a goof. I screenshot the egg that she was doing.
Speaker 2: Because you're gonna do it for that, You're gonna make it with the bunny ears of the tail. Oh man, you're gonna do it. You're gonna do the Easter egg. Well that's kind of genius. That's it.
Speaker 4: But I just had to say I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: And then of course we talked about how crazy Christie is the last fifteen minutes. She's feral, phenomenal, phenomenal and so great. Love you, Christy, seriously, you were the best in this. I loved it so much and I'm so glad this is how they wrapped up their series. I think the show deserved it. I think this was something that was like, you know something, the way to end it on such a great note. I loved summed up their relationships and everything. It was just I loved, loved, loved this movie.
Speaker 5: Me too. I agree.
Speaker 1: So speaking of that, we now have to rate it one out of ten, and this week our options are one out of ten, sixty five episode rules one out of ten, serial Killers, name Bean one out of ten, Ultra Lounge Dramatic Superchairs, Mootai Jason's one out of ten, Robot Squirrels, fire God, Oprah's Hamburger's doing yoga, adults playing middle schoolers, or Shia's rolling off a ledge.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pick this week.
Speaker 4: You pick this week?
Speaker 1: Thank you. I want to do adults playing middle schoolers. Yes, I think this week, and I think I also. Do I have to go first this time? Or do you go first this time?
Speaker 4: I think you went first. I think you went first. I've got a nine out of ten.
Speaker 3: That's that's good this movie again, because it did even though it had it seemed to be a pretty good production budget.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: The only thing that was jarring, you know, was the concoctions. Oh, I can't let this one go. The Sabrena seas. I don't know why I didn't see it. When he's playing with that thing that's controlling the beast, control I feel because Shai is just he's like this, he's flipping the camera off, but in a non think a non yes, I definitely think he did did by this time on his channel, he's pushing boundaries, seeing what he can get asked everyone else for sure.
Speaker 4: He's love that total, total jokester like that. So I I couldn't let that one go. Even though that kind of stuff was, you know, quirky and whatever, but you know the location.
Speaker 3: I knew that they did shoot this in Hawaii, so that was beautiful, was great, but we are not dealing with one of these mega musicals, one of these mega franchise type things.
Speaker 4: Even though it was a show first and I thought it was awesome, this was so fun. I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Definitely Jordan and I both love like laughed out loud so many times. The acting was phenomenal, the script was great. I mean I loved it top to bottom.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree with you one hundred percent. As a matter of fact, I even agree with the number. Yeah, I'm also going to give it nine adults playing middle schoolers for all the reasons you just said. Great cast, great writing, great stunt casting with Tim Meadows and Dave Coolier, it all worked.
Speaker 2: It was so Disney Channel to.
Speaker 1: Me food fights and gadgets, yep, and misunderstandings.
Speaker 2: And Shia being Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy being Christy. I'm also giving it nine adults playing middle schoolers. It is clearly a different type of movie than the movies we've been watching when it comes to these big descendants in zombies' kind of movies. But as I've said now several times, a wonderful, perfect, quintessential example of this era of the Disney jem Yes, thought it was great. So our next movie is twenty fifteen's Bad Hair Day. It is available on Disney Plus, so check it out before our next episode so you can follow along with us and for our dedicated magical rewind feed. We've talked to my very good pal, yeah Christy Carlson Romano, all about the Even Stevens movie for our Park Copper episode, and she told us everything we need to know about this little gem.
Speaker 2: So check out a sneak peek here. Yeah, I mean Even Stevens movie almost didn't get made.
Speaker 6: I think we knew that Lizzy was going to have a feature film, and we were a little jealous. And I'm not just speaking for myself, I know that Shia was very competitive as well, and so we were kind of always competitive with the Lizzy Show because we felt that, like Our Joe, were a little bit more for adults, and they had a little bit more of an enjoyment factor, kind of like with Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: It was like the adults could watch it and the kids could watch it.
Speaker 6: Yes, Lizzie had a lot more sight gags, a lot more zaniness, a lot more fun kid stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cartoon itself definitely made it even right there.
Speaker 2: We had so much fun with her. She spilled some tea. See we had to cut some out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I'm not even going to get into some of the stuff we talked about and some of the stuff we were not allowed to air.
Speaker 2: But what a conversation that was.
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's cool to just watch her as she's talking about it. I mean, she looks back so fondly on her time.
Speaker 2: She does. She loved being on the Channel, loves it.
Speaker 3: She feels honored to be a part of the Disney Channel family. And I loved hearing her thoughts on what it was like to wrap up a show. You know, I mean, we know how it is, but to really hear it from someone else of you know you're on this big situation. She's you know, it's a big chapter for life that wrapped up right then. So it's very cool to talk to her about all of those sales, a very.
Speaker 1: Fun interview, So please go check that out and check out bad hair Day, Big hair Day, Bad hair Day, Bad hair bad hair Day for next time, and we will see you then.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, everybody, Bye bye,