Speaker 1: The volume. The thrilling excitement of March Mania is here. In Draft kingsports Book, one of America's top rated sportsbook app, is giving new customers a shot to turn five books into one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bet with any college basketball bet. North Carolina listeners don't forget. Draftking sports Book is now live in your state. Download the Draft King Sportsbook app and use code Shannon. New customers can bet five bucks and get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets only at Draft Kings Sportsbook with Cold Shannon.
Speaker 2: A crowned is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight op and wired text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting. Kansas. Over Age varies by jurisdiction, Voyd and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance CEE DKNNG dot Co slash b Ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions terms and Responsible Gaming Resources.
Speaker 1: Hello, j ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to another episode of Nightcap, and boy do we have a night in store for you. The Women's College Game is alive and well, and boy did these four teams do us proud? Thank you for joining another episode of Nightcap. I am your favorite unk, Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite. Number eighty five rot Runner, Extraordinary, Liberty Cities Owned Bingos Ring of Fame, Honoree Pro Bowler, All Pro from mister Rail Risotto, Shad O Cho Senko Johnson. Okay, now go ahead.
Speaker 3: I need I need a clapping We need like a clapping thing like when you finish the introduction.
Speaker 1: We work on that clapping.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna get those sounds effects. But we're gonna take that at your cut. That's fine. That's fine.
Speaker 3: That's fine because I ain't spent my cut yet, so I could say I can send my cut back if you need to.
Speaker 1: I need to. I need to number.
Speaker 3: I sit back.
Speaker 1: Please make sure you hit that light button. Please please, make sure you hit that subscribe button and thank you so much, and please make sure you subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed. You can listen to Nightcap through the Club Shay Shape feed, but we would greatly appreciate it if you subscribe and listen to the Nightcap podcast feed. Thank you guys again for selling out Shade by Laportier. We're only taking pre orders, but we have penned the link at the top of the chat. We got a shipping there and we should be able to fulfill all orders placed. So thank you again for selling us out and thank you. You can beat USC to advance to the final four eighty to seventy three. But I thought that first game was so good, O Joe. We need to start with that one. Kaylyn Clark Carrie's IOWA as Angel Reese in the last year's national champ Louisiana Tech Lady Tigers to reach the final four ninety four to eighty seven. Clark forty one points with twelve assists lifted the top seeds Hawkeyes over last year's defending champ. I would advances to the final four for the second straight year and gains a measure of revenge against the team that knocked them out, who beat them in the national title game. Last year, Caitlin Clark was phenomenal. O Sho Todd Nancy record tournament record with nine three pointers, broke the game open. It was forty five forty five and a half. And then she comes out in the third quarter and launches four in hits him, and now she's broken the NCAA all time record for three pointers made five hundred and forty with another game possible two games to go, she passes Oklahoma Taylor Robinson's five five thirty seven. It was also Clark's twentieth game in which she scored at least thirty points and ten assists in her career. This is also clark third game with forty points, double doubles in the NCAA Tournament Elite eight, twenty twenty three National semi Finals, and the twenty twenty four Elite eight. So she was phenomenal. Andrew Rees was great until she filed out seventeen points twenty rebounds. She filed out late in the fourth quarter. She tweaked that anchor early in the ball game. Ojo Flaje Johnson added twenty three, but it was not enough to overcome Kaitlyn Clark and the Hawk Eyes. Ojo, you watched this game, what'd you like about it?
Speaker 3: Listen, I watched the game. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. It was it was very worthy of all the hype that everybody talked about. Obviously Kaitlyn Clark and what she's done throughout them throughout the entirety of the season. Andrew Reese with her and the LSU Tigers have done throughout the entirety of the season. In the build up to this matchup, it was everything I expected to be, especially for me, someone who doesn't watch much basketball. This was a joy for me to watch because of it. It's exciting. It was exciting all four quarters. Obviously, Caitlyn Clark, Dude, she's amazing. Bruh, She's amazing. She's amazing. Listen. I don't want to do any type of comparisons as far as NBA players, but pulling up from half court, pulling up from McDonald's, pulling up from outside the gym, pulling up from the stands basically is what she did out there. And she was so efficient from the field and being able to do whatever she wanted the entirety of the night was really awesome. It was awesome to see. It was a great matchup LSU Tigers coach Mochi and Angel Reese and their squad. They played a hell of a game, but it just wasn't enough to unseat the Iowa Hawk Eyes a night. I really enjoyed it. I really did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the real women's college game is alive and well. Last year, this game just slightly less than ten million. I can believe it's going to be double digits at least when we get the ratings back tomorrow. Caitlin Clark was phenomenal. You knew she would be felt in order for her to win this game, I felt she was the best player on the court, but I felt LSU had the better team and in order for a hour to advance, she was gonna have to have a Cheryl Swoops type of a game. And uh at cherryff Swoops Nationally in the National Championship game, she shot shot sixteen or twenty two or seventeen or twenty two. She had forty seven, and she lifted her team. Kaitlyn Clark had a similar type game. She was phenomenal. Cheryl didn't have the assist and I thought Lsu did a terrible job Kim Moki did a terrible job of coaching, because they did nothing to get the ball out of her hands. You gotta trap her, you gotta blitzer, make her give the ball up. You know, when she goes left, she's looking to launch a three three. Yeah, if she goes right, she's looking to keep the ball, or she's gonna give it up and she's gonna go get it back. Watch to look at the way what u khon how they approached Juju Watkins, she got the ball, They trapped, they blizzer give it up. Sometimes you you sometimes you either you know you show but you can't. And then the first two possessions, what did they do? Ojoe? They go under You mean to tell me, Kaitlyn Clark, who arguably one of the greatest shooters in women's college history, you're gonna go under the screen. There's no possible way you rehearse that, I'm gonna say, Kim Bulkie. She coached them to go over the screen, and that was just them going under the screen. But there's no would you ever go up under screen? Over on Steph Curry, would you never ever go up under screen on Dame Lillard. Absolutely not. You have to give her the same level of respect in the women's college game that you would give those great shooters, and that what she is. And so I just didn't see enough adjustments. Lsu did a tremendous job on the glass. I'll rebounded by eighteen. I thought when Angel Reese tweaked that ankle, she wasn't the same player because she didn't have the same level of lyft ojo. But also you look at I were early on. What were they looking to do? Push the pace figure, they're looking to get it. There's some look the court. We can't let you set your defense because we don't have the size to match up with you. So every chance we can get an easy bucket, we're looking to get that.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get it.
Speaker 1: Clark, get the ball, eyes immediately up, she's ahead right boom. But give you know what, even though I thought ls you did a terrible job of defensing Caitlyn Clark, you have to give her because she rolls to the occasion, one or two things needed to happen. You make her a score or you make her a facilitator. But you can't letter do both. You can't let it go get forty one and twelve assists, because now you're add a mercy, you add a mercy. Oh Joe, you gotta make a decision, bron either gonna get thirty forty with three or four five assists, or you're gonna get fifty, but we're not gonna let you get forty and fifteen. Can't let these great players do that to you because now not only are they getting theirs, they're allowing their other team, their teammates, to get involved as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes you have to think about it. There are ways, like you just said, not allowing or trying to contain a player. You can't stop them. You can only you can only hope to contain them, yes, or slow them down. They would find ways. They would run plays and find ways to get Caitlin Clark the ball and make sure she can get those shots off and get open. And then if let's say the coaching was a little different on coach Mokey's part, I think still then the hawk eyes would adjust and still find ways to make sure they can find ways to get Caitlin Carr open. And she's one who can How do I say this the right way? In basketball terms, she can create a shot on her own. Yes, she can create a shot on the home where she doesn't need much help. So once you put in an instructured environment, now you have picks, and you got screens, you got rolls, then that makes even that much better.
Speaker 1: So because what she said when they said to pick and roll, you brought to defend the closer. Now I can trap you. Now I can blitch you and make you give the ball up. Now you might get it back or they might roll to the basket. But I I can't let Caitlyn Clark. What do you say if I'm playing a team with a great receiver, if the number two guys the number three guy beat me, I can live with that. Hey if t Higgins, if Taylor Boy beats me, I just can't let Jamar Chase go get two hundred and three touchdown. So if T. Higgins goes get one to twenty five and Boy gives me seventy five and two touchdowns, I can live with that. Because there's three guys, I just can't let the guy. I know they're trying to get the ball to beat me. You know, the one chance they got a beating you is Caitlin Clark. So if somebody else rides to the occasion on Joe, Hey, we've seen that happen. We've seen that happen before. The second third tier guy guys rise to the occasion. But I can't let Caitlyn Clark go get forty one twelve. Right, I have a question.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm looking at the chat and they said, my cameras blurry?
Speaker 1: Is it blurrying? Your in looks fine? I look blurry, looks fine to me. Huh. They say it's fixed now, Sid, it's fixed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Oh, chat was making fun of the cameras by my camera back my camera from twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: Well, the night cap looks blurry. Night cap does look blurry? Can you see it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: You say you were blurry to say the night cap is blurry, but you were blurry at first.
Speaker 3: So what do I do?
Speaker 1: You good? You good as long as you can. We don't care about the sign long as you long.
Speaker 3: As you're clear, okay, long, yeah, yeah, yeah, Lowers, you're clear. Okay, Okay, I'm ready Now, I'm ready. I want to talk some more basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just think the thing is old. Show is that look great players are going to be great, but you gotta really going to rise to the occasion. But I got to make it tough on you. Right, there's a reason why they locked the doors. They put the money in the ball. They don't have the money on. When you walk into the cash and the money just sitting up there, We're gonna make it difficult for you. You're there's one hundred cap If you look at every stall and you go up to the cash here, every stall has a camera pointing directly on it. Most of the time they're security in there. There's a big old vault. Okay, So I've got to make it difficult for you. Yeah. Do people steal money from a bank. Absolutely, But is it easy. No. No, great players are gonna get fairs. But I can't make it easy on you. I gotta make it as difficult as I possibly can. I got to make you exert. I gotta make you take some contested, tough, tough shots. But I also know the game plan says that when she goes left, she likes to launch the three, and when she goes right, she's looking to finish, or she'll give it up and try to get it back. Well, if I know that as soon as he come left, I'm gonna come try, I'll come blister. I'm gonna get it out of hands.
Speaker 3: You know it's funny. I like that you said that, but you hear how you just called out the game plan based on what she likes to do. Yeah, and you know it in your mind, but then having to execute it and stop it on the court is a whole different ball game.
Speaker 1: Yes, hell, you know.
Speaker 3: You know what Lebron gonna do when he looked down at the ball and he stepped back to hit that goddamn three. You know what Lebron gonna do when he goes to the right, He drives to the basket right.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that, but.
Speaker 3: Has anybody been able to stop it when it comes to Kobe when Kobe and his go to move, well, Michael Jordan his go to move, help God damned Dame Lillard, Kyrie. There's certain moves that players had that they do consistently that we watching from home or as analysts, as journalists. We know what they like to do, but the hard part is stopping it because they're so good at it.
Speaker 1: If he hits that shot and I got a hand in his face, I can live with that.
Speaker 3: You got to live with that, right, right, But the.
Speaker 1: Fact of the matter is, I'm not up on the guy, and I know Lebron is looking at the ball and I'm three feet away. Because still the Scotty report on Lebron is that don't let him get past you, don't let him get downhill. So a lot of times they'll concede the shot, that three point shot. Now he's made him pay for it a lot. This year, he's shooting almost forty two percent from the three. But I just believe Look, maybe it was in the cars. This game reminded me a lot of the UNLV Duke game. UNLV blew him out eighteen ninety. They came back, tried to repeat it was perfect, undefeated, and dude got a measure of revenge. Duke played extremely well. But I just I just thought that Lsu, LSU, there are some things that they probably should have done. And I'm sure kill Mulky. She probably won't admit, but she probably gonna say, you know what, we should have tried to get the ball out of her hands a lot sooner. I mean, it wasn't until like a couple of minutes left in the game. Then all of a sudden you lifts her all of a sudden, you switch it, bro, you should have been doing.
Speaker 3: That's okay, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you can't let me catch you deep balls early. That so you got hell on your hands for the rest of the game.
Speaker 3: And you know, you know what's funny is, for one, they allowed her to get in the rhythm. Yes, and you know she's in the rhythm because you're pulling up from anyone that goddamned court. Once you had that type of confidence and once you rolling like that in the game, there's really nothing you can do. There's really nothing you could do except find a way to try to find a way to distinguish the fire, to put the fire out. And how do you do that? That's by trapping early, finding ways to disrupt, disrupt the timing of the offense, get in the way, play a little bit more aggressive, a little bit more aggressive than usual. But I mean they weren't able to do it. And you know, now we got but who played? Who plays next?
Speaker 1: So South Carolina? South Carolina plays North Carolina State at Iowa plays Yukon.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, Now do you have a favorite in that I in that uh in at Iowa Yukon match up.
Speaker 1: I think I will will be favored slightly, right. But the one thing, A it's hard to bet against Gino in the big game. Geno A he's gonna get it. He's gonna get his young ladies ready to play. That's one thing Gino does. And Gino and you see Gino, he made it tough. He made it tough on their best player. Juju Jia. Yeah, yeah, he made it tough. I will bless you. I'm gona trap you. I'm gonna do everything I possibly can. What makes her so good is that she's still able to put the ball on the floor. She got a euro step she can step through still she could pull up, so she is she's really fundamentally sound. You can tell she's worked with a coach before. She probably trained in the offseason with a lot of guys because your game is really similar to the guys. A lot of the stuff that she does reminds you of a bail player. She was sensational, But kudos to the Iowa haw guys. They're moving on advancing to the Final four for the third time. Nineteen ninety three was the first time, twenty three was the second time. In back to back years twenty three and twenty four thanks to a hercules effort by Claitland Clark. She was thirteen of twenty nine from the field, nine of twenty from the three, six to seven from the free throw line. She had seven rebounds twelve assents. Turned the ball over, but that's to be expected because she had the ball. He played the entire forty minutes of the ball game. Yeah, no rest, no rest, no rest. But they did a great job and they're advancing very well, very well deserved. And I thought the LSU and the win, I mean, this is going to be the most watched game because it was so close throughout their tired of the game. All Oys was gonna be on this game considering of what transpired last year, and I will get some measure of revenge. They come out and they win this ball game ninety four to eighty seven. They advanced to the Final four to take on the Yukon Huskies. Yukon Huskies, the number three seed, takes down the number one seed, the USC Lady Trojans by the score of eighty to seventy three. Paige Beckers twenty six, twenty eight points, ten rebounds, six assists, three steals, two blocks. She was eleven of twenty three from the floor, three of six from the three point line, three or three from the free throw line. She had twenty eight points, ten rebounds, six assists. Aliah Edwards has twenty four points, six rebounds, one assist to block. They got great contributions. Juju Watkins was nine of twenty five two or six, nine a nine from the free throw line. She had twenty nine points, ten rebounds, two assists. Forbes had twenty four points, three rebounds, three assists. I just and you could look, Oh, Joe, give Gino credit because obviously he did not want Juju to go haywy. She's more than capable of going haywire. I'm gonna make it tough. You see the percentage she shot nine of twenty five, right, I'm gonna make it. I'm gonna make it tough. Great players are gonna get their numbers. Go, Joe. The likelihood of you stopping a great receiver, well he doesn't get any catches. But I gotta limit you right wherever you catch the ball, I gotta get you on the ground.
Speaker 3: Do you think it also do you think it's also about personnel? Actually having the personnel to be able to pull off some of the things you want to do and being able to stop at Caitlin Clark. If you don't have the personnel to do so, then it makes it very coaching can do that you have someone just that grit, well, you're gonna have the personnel to pull off what you need to get done.
Speaker 1: All year long, Flaje Johnson guarded the best the best perimeter player for the opposing team L s U. For some reason, Kim MOKEI said, you know what, We're gonna put Hailey van Lyft on her slower foot and she's small. Flage is not seven foot six foot tall, but she's quick footed. Mm hmm. So she's able to slide and and and and and probably disrupt her better than Haley Van Lyft could. So that sometimes you know, coaches getting their own head too, and they try to think, they try to make make things more difficult than what they need to be. Right, right, what have you been doing all year? Who's been guarding the best perimeter player for the opposing team? Flage? This game, it didn't happen. You start out with Hailey Van Lyft on her Hailey van Lift is slow. Uh, she's she's not as tall as as Flage and huh and she's been sick. She had to get an I V she's been six So let me get this right. You gotta slow small all sick first, young lady Garden Kaitlyn Clark.
Speaker 3: Right, it's all it's all about matchups. Yeah, it's all about matchups. And maybe maybe Mokey felt, maybe Mokey felt, you know, she would have been the best look and gave them the best chance having her on.
Speaker 1: Clark. How if you slow, you short, and you sick, so you got a three es it you slow, short and sick and you think you're gonna do what.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know. I know one thing. It was a good, goddamn good game.
Speaker 1: It was a great game. It wasn't good. It was this is what we needed. We needed a game to be close. We needed the eyes to stay. The one thing I was like, I hope it doesn't go get blown out one way or another so the people start to leave. But I love the fact that the game stayed close throughout the entirey of the game. Kaitlyn Clark came out on the mission in the third quarter four threes in the third and I think the shortest one was probably twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Feet crazy so crazy work.
Speaker 1: But this game right here, I thought Yukon played really well. That held their posts. I thought they held their poise better than what of what USC did. I thought, because there's some shots that that Juju missed early in the game, those were walking apart. Those are walking apart. I'm talking about point blank. She left a couple of them short. She back ironed a couple of them, and I think I think Nerds kind of got the best of them. Yukon girls have been at least page and I'm excited for Paige because she's had two gruesome injuries and for her to come back and fight through those and to play at the level in which he's playing at. I was happy to see that. But give you Ukon credit. I mean, this old hat for them, bo Joe. They this is what they normally do.
Speaker 3: Listen, matter of fact, speaking of Yukon, there's a young lady and I'm not good with last names, but she's the five. She's a five for UKN And yes, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're talking about the one that had the color multicover hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was she tough one, Yeah, she tough. I'm not I was going to have to have an answer for that. Well she was tough, wor yeah in the post off.
Speaker 1: The dribble, but she she was tough.
Speaker 3: And when when she when she went downhill, Oh she coming downhill?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and that's what you have to have. I mean, the thing is is that I would I doesn't have a really like an inside presence. What they go to and can get buckets. Now they got guys, you know, they do a great job of screening and rolling to the basket. Uh, they'll catch you their back door, your things like that. But Elia Edwards can post up. And see this is where I thought that LSU would have the advantage because they have a Nissa Marl who can post. They have uh, they have angels who can post.
Speaker 3: Who can post up.
Speaker 1: But when you get to you gotta take your time. And I think, I thought, I thought, And that's in that situation, angel and a Nissa. I thought. They rushed a lot of shots. They knew help was coming, and so I got to get here before the help gets there, and they rush them. Russ rushed some shots and got those up which weren't very good looks, and he's like, Okay, you got the ball down there, just take your time, make him file you if you're necessary, if necessary. But I just thought that once Angel tweaked that ankle, she didn't have the lift, she didn't have the confidence. I mean, she was out there, but she really she was just out there in presence because she was an Angel. That was that dog before she had that injury. Right, But you can give you con credit. I mean, I think this might be one of Gino's best coaching jobs. Uh. We know he can coach a lot of his young ladies. And I think Edwards, I think she said she's she's leaving to go pro. Didn't She says she's going to turn it pro and she going to the w nb A. So but bet Becker's is coming back, and you know, Gino probably give him another two or three five star recruit roots. But it's not like it normally is. It's not gotten. Young ladies are going different places now O Joe Laces, Now, yeah, you know you get a supe bird, you got it to Rosie and you got to swing cash and you got Renee Montgomery and you got uh uh Maya Moore's and you got the Breonna Stewart's and you got the Tina Charles's, and you had all these pipeline just back the back, the back, back back back.
Speaker 3: It's different now different now, it's different now. Listen that that n I al coming to play now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably probably like ten fifteen years ago. Juju probably been going to She's probably with the U Gun now. Maybe her maybe she is an l A kid, so maybe her dream was to play at USC. You know, they had the Cheryl Miller, the Pam and Paula McGee, you had Cynthia Cooper, you had Tina Thompson, you had Lisa Leslie. So you've had a pipeline of great college players that turned out. You know, Cooper was a four time champion, multiple NBA Finals MVP, wnb W NBA MVP. So they've had great lineage. But they've won two national championships. I think they won what eighty four eighty five, I think that's when they won the championship back with Cheryl Miller, went back to back and I think Texas ended up beating with the great Colarissa Davis to come down. They was undefeated, but Yukon might be Ukon might be back, but I just think that the Lady's talent is spread, its spread. I don't think we'll ever see what Yukon used to do, where they go one hundred plus one hundred and what twelve one hundred and twenty something games undefeated Breonna Stewart, where she wins four national championships consecutive and she's three times most Outstanding Players, She's three times Women's college Basketball Player of the Year. But it was great. I'm glad to see women's college basketball getting the shine and the crew that they deserve. Kaitlin Clark certainly held up her end of the deal. Now you got juju coming on. Paige Becker's was sensational. Uh. The South of the Lady game calls led by Don Staley. They don't have a name, you know, Cardoza, Uh six seven, I think she's six seven, six eight, the big that's in the middle. She decided that she's gonna go pro for a while. What's the what's the point guard name for Wawie Forla Wawie. Yeah, she since said she's a freshman. But the one thing we know Don don can coach. Now she's gonna have him ready and hey, they play inside out. Guys knocked down shots, and that's what LSU didn't do a great job of night. They have knocked down their open shops when they had the opportunity to.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact, yes, I don't know the freshman who runs the one. She's the one. She the point for South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yeah boy.
Speaker 3: For WAWE, Hey boy, she a real deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah she got hammle.
Speaker 3: She's she's exciting. Yeah, that's that's the box office. When you pay seventy five dollars whatever ticket costs ye to go watch a woman's college game, that's what you're paying your money for. She's exciting.
Speaker 1: So page Becker's finished with a team high twenty eight points, ten rebounds, six cents, three steals, two blocks. She notched her seventh straight twenty point performance. Yukon has been impressive this tournament. Not only have the Husky over become lack of depth, but they're passing have been fun to watch, and you know what Gino does the guys they have to be unselfish. So at four tournament games, Yukon has seventy three assists on one hundred and thirteen made shots, So that means they're moving the ball. So guess what Yukon Kaitlin Clark, South Carolina in C State. It's gonna be great in C State. Got both men's and women into the Final four.
Speaker 3: In the final four, yep, hey, wait, wait wait when when is the South Carolina game?
Speaker 1: Next week? Friday night?
Speaker 3: Oh? Next? Okay, Okay, we gotta wait, man, we gotta wait.
Speaker 1: Yeaham, Yeah, they played last they played yesterday. They won seventy to fifty eight. So you got Yukon going for their twelfth national title. Gino advanced to his twenty third Final four. Caitlyn Clark. The viewership has been astronomical, I think because of Kaitlyn Clark, because of page backers, and if I'm not mistaken, they were on the USA Under nineteen team that won the goal. Huskier tried for their first national championship since twenty sixteen. Kaitlyn Clark were cole Freshman of the Year back in twenty twenty one. They met in San Antonio for the Sweet sixteen. That year, Yukon won ninety two seventy two. But this is a very different Kaitlyn Clark.
Speaker 3: Now, this is very different.
Speaker 1: This is this is not this is not your this is not your your brother's sister. Kaitlin Clark. She a full grown woman now and she let that fact God.
Speaker 3: Speaking of did you hear about the offer ice Cube offered her to come playing a Big Three for five million?
Speaker 1: Yep? For what? I mean? Why did i Q need to do that?
Speaker 2: For what?
Speaker 1: What did he hope to commerce with that? I mean, listen, you just you just said it. You just said it yourself.
Speaker 3: So she's what she's brought to the game, What she's brought to the Gamehow.
Speaker 1: She wants to compete against somebody her skills said? Come on, bro so for so, if a team offered the woman seventy five million to come play in the NFL, she should take it. Why not? Listen, you have a question?
Speaker 3: Would she ever make five million in the w n B A.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter, oh shoe. Everything can't be about the money. Why would she go? Why would she go compete against someone that she can't win? Again? Every every wait, everything shouldn't be about why why not? Why not offer Asia Wilson? Why not offer somebody else? Why not there? Why Caitlyn Clark? I have a question, who's moving the needle? Who's moving the needle?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Now, oh, show this, Come on, now, don't do me like that shoe. Who's moving? Who's moving? Moving the NEEDLEO? She moving the needle. So so you want to be talking about to be talking about it? Do you want her to go compete against grown men? You know, you want her to compete against grown men? And say simple yes or a simple note. And I think there's the reason why they have women's leads. There's a reason why they have the w t A and the a TV and the Professional Men's League. There's a reason out of a men's tour and a women's door. Oh Joe, I have a question. Listen, I have a question.
Speaker 3: There's a reason why ice Cube offer of the five men to come play. It's not like she's playing a whole season. She's playing a few games, just playing a few games, having, you know, having a little fun.
Speaker 1: So what you gonna do go out there and shoot the lights out against those guys, against guys grown me. So you want a woman to compete against grown men in basketball?
Speaker 3: What you're trying to say, grown, well, what you're trying to say she can't hang?
Speaker 1: No, no, she cannot hang. There's a reason why women play against in women's sports men playing with don't do that, o, Joe.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, listen. I mean the offer was so I'm not sure. I'm not sure anybody. I'm not sure anybody. You're planning the w n b A already, you're taking a pay cup based on what you make at ee.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, if somebody off follow her, those deal will follow her. There will come endorsements. There won't be n I L deal, They will be an endorsement deals. So why don't she carry richardson rest against the mean?
Speaker 3: She could beat the few up.
Speaker 1: Now, she ain't beat in the top ten. She ain't beat the top twenty. No, no, but she ain't beat the top So why not? Why not? Oh Joe, eyeballs is gonna bring eyeballs. You won't eyeballs for why not?
Speaker 3: Listen? I'm just asking you a question.
Speaker 1: Come on, don't do that. I hate the ice. Q did that because he knows she's gonna turn it down, and rightfully so, there are not women are not competing against men.
Speaker 3: That's why you have been sports and women's sports. So you think you think she's gonna turn it down? Yes, okay, all right, I was just curious. I just want to hear your opinion. You got, you got, you got real passionate.
Speaker 1: About that, because there's a reason why you have Olympics, you have women's sports, you have men's sports. In tennis, you have women play women and men play men. There's a reason in track and field women don't compete against the men in what situation do you see when it's when it comes to a scale. Now, maybe if you want to play corn hole or oor shoes or something, sure, but when you're talking about well, I got to put my athleticism on display.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I'm just I just want to hear what you're gonna say. Baby, as it as it.
Speaker 1: You know, that's it, that's it. You you want to see that. I mean, oh, she in the and the and the and the uh what do you call them? So she you wanted to go down there and bang with Kenya Martin and baby why not? Yeah, that's who.
Speaker 3: Want to But for once, she ain't gonna be in the post anyway. What you gonna be up from twenty seven twenty nine feet out?
Speaker 1: You do know they guard you know, three on three, So the condensed you do realize that, right, So it ain't a whole lot of space. Where you going?
Speaker 3: All right? I got your baby, you got it.
Speaker 1: Next up, this is our first segment of the day. We got a news cap. Yeah, Jerry Rice did not have to thank too hard. When asked which defensive back presented him the toughest matchup during his Hall of Fame career, Deion sanders Right said, the battles went back to the day even when he was in Atlanta, also in Dallas, and it was minoi mono, and I was primed in and I prepared myself for that all the reps during the week. I wanted to take all those reps. I wanted to be able to have a game plan going in that if we're going to face the best, you better have a game plan, and I wanted to initiate. I was not gonna wait for him to bring it to me, so I was gonna attack him right from the start. You know my route running with double moves. Even if we were running the place, I was sprinting sixty yards down the field. Another BDDB came after Prime, and that was also a fast guy. That was Darryl Green. He was real fast. You have to have a game plan when you have to come up to the line. You got to get off against their base on the snap of the ball, and you have to have the greatest coach ever, Bill Walsh to tell me you have to win at the line of scrimmage. And that's what I was able to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most definitely, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: Listen. We we equate greatness and success, feeling that if you can run in a straight line really fast, it equates to you being a great player. But that's not what it does. The fact that Prime was able to put it all together. Yes, he was able to put it all together. And Jerry Rice knew exactly what he had to do to counter that. So if you are fast, what I have to do is make you uncomfortable as fast as possible, not playing around the line of scrimmage, picking a side and get going and putting the pressure on you, putting the onus on you to make a decision on what you want to do. And Jerry, Jerry was great at that. Obviously, Jerry one of the greatest route runners of all time.
Speaker 1: Jerry's Jerry Rice is rock.
Speaker 3: Running belongs in the lavour in the Lavuur Museum out there.
Speaker 1: Law you said, I to move and the louver. The louver.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, let me get you culture, you real culture, okay, But yes, his route running was phenomenal back then, very detailed, very precise.
Speaker 1: He always his death.
Speaker 3: The way he set people up, it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful.
Speaker 3: So I understand exactly what you're talking about. And I've watched those clips with him. I watched Jerry rice Is one on ones. I watched all the clips with him and and Dion going at it, you know, and the battles were phenomenal. Sometimes Jerry got him, sometimes he got Jerry, which which is what made it so great, so great to watch man.
Speaker 1: But ah, man, he was.
Speaker 3: He was an artist.
Speaker 1: Without winning a line of scrimmage. I mean, you're done as a wide receiver. You've got to win at the line of scrimmage, because that's that's Oh Joe the quarterback ain't got fifteen pro the ball.
Speaker 3: No he doesn't, he doesn't. He doesn't quarterback. I think one of the things that a lot of a lot of people, a lot of receivers make mistakes, and some of the coaches that have them, especially during the off season, you need to understand your personnel. You need to understand your DNA. You need to understand your makeup and your skill set. You know, if you if you ain't got that sauce in you, you don't need to be doing that sauce type ship. Yeah, you know, you need to understand what you're good at, find your niche and get from point A to point B fast as possible. Everybody can't be Davantae Adams at the line. Everybody can't be God damn Keenan Allen, you know, and one and then you know, you find what you do good and figure out how to get from point A to point B within the timing of the offense so you can be efficient every goddamn time. Everybody trying to.
Speaker 1: You know, s got you the point now everybody want to look good running around, so it ain't nobody catching the ball. Broyard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're wasting time.
Speaker 1: First of all, time you had and did you yeah this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, holding pumping the ball. People need to I mean players, receivers need to understand all the all those tricks and those heazy's and those those are changing.
Speaker 1: Those are change ups.
Speaker 3: That's when you have to run the same route maybe for the third time, then you change it up. By throwing the heavy or or or decelerated a little bit, just to give him some different give them the losion that you're doing something different even though it's still the same route. They coming, They doing the tricks off, jump off, jump. No, the first time you run the route, it should be full speed into your death and you got the ball ready for the ball? Yes, yeah, come, maybe comes second, maybe come second, third quarter that DV notice or he in the same line, He in the same alignment. Yeah, okay, that means maybe the same route is coming again. Now you want to come off the line a little bit, maybe heavy, give him the freeze a little bit, then burst again. Right boom, run the same route, right, you got this. It's so many different ways to skin a cat with the same route. But they coming in with all the tricks right off.
Speaker 1: Well, that's when you're not really you're not secure in your route running skills, and you feel you got to do all that hurthy jerky stuff. Now mind you, ojo. My thought process up was when I ran a route. I'm running a route, but I know I got seven eight variations off the same route, so I need I need, I need to keep that stem and I need to make the scene, and all of a sudden, I got it out. I got a basic cross, I got a hook, I got all that, I got a seven. I gotta I gotta make everything. I got choice, I got options. I gotta make everything on that stem. So I'm releasing now. Eventually I'm gonna release. I'm gonna take like two or three give me that right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, when we I'm so glad we talked about route. One of one of the things I hate. One of the things I hate when when a when a dB is playing off, everything should be in a straight line. Yeah, everything, Everything should be in a straight line. I hate when receivers ver inside or very outside, because if you got a good dB, all he gonna do is just we with you. He gonna weed whichever where you're going. And if you weave it, if you leaning inside coming off the ball, all he doing is weaving right there, making sure he maintained his leverage, and he's always in position to break on the ball. Just run straight, Just run straight, and step on his fucking toes. Take the tricks out the game. All this you know, wiggling and all man forget all that man expects me to get to the next level, you're gonna get exposed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I think the thing is, oh joy, you need to be working on that stuff in practice, you know, because a lot of times I would work on stuff in practice and Dedrick Johne Tony feeling riddy Brad. I was like, hey, bro, so what you say that day? Like sharp? I can tell you getting ready to break because you got on your toes. Yeah, okay, fine, I hate him with that, damn. But I hey, I ain't. I was seen that rob before. So I'm constantly getting Hey, give me feedback, give me feedback because o jo, I know this hair. Guys that see me in O t A, they saw me in training camp, they see me every day of practice. If they have a difficult difficult time covering me, you got no chance watching me on tape on tape, right, yeah, you got you got no chance. And so I'm I'm doing Hey, I'm I'm thinking all the time. I'm keeping that stem. Now I know you, Oh I got an hour rap this time, But you're not gonna be able to tell when I run that scene because it's gonna look the same mm hmm.
Speaker 3: That's that's something that that's something that I had that I learned from the veteran the veteran dbs that were there at the time when I when I was in Cincinnati. Remember Jeff burrst Remember Jeff burr Yeah, yeah, Jeff Burrs, Tory, James delth O'Neill. You remember you remember, I know you remember.
Speaker 1: He was Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I had I had a problem when I come out to huddle. I always grabbed my glove and when the boss coming to me, I restrapped. Yeah, I restrapped my things right before snapped the ball and I my gloves.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Jeff Burrd said, Hey, a young fella, you know every time you're getting ready to get.
Speaker 1: That ball, you know what you do? Right? I say, you for real? How you notice that?
Speaker 3: Because I'm paying attention every time you come to the line, and I know it's a past. I know it's a pass play because you get to line. And when when it's not a pass play, you don't do nothing. They look at everything and everything.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what, God, damn boy, the hell you notice that? Oh? Joe? I used to have a I used to do a thing like when I was catching the past, I was like Hey, we got a flyer over here. He's sitting light. I'm going out for a pass. Oh he had it. He blocking. It's a rub plays.
Speaker 3: When you say you talk about a little closer to the top, I ain't put my hand all the way down on the dirt because I need to I need to be able to get up out of there. Okay, okay, okay, ip heavy, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: So now, hey, you gotta switch it up.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You know you know who? You know who else?
Speaker 3: Aaron Glenn Glynn is demonsve coordinated with Detroit right now, right, Aaron Glenn caught me when I was a youngster. I think he might have been with the Jets. I think he was either with the Jets or maybe the Texans, I can't remember. And he knew and it was a pass play, he told me the third quarter. You know, I know the ball coming to you. Every time when you come out the huddle, you come out too exciting and you're smiling. You got a mouthful of gold smiling. And when it's a run play, you walk out the huddle. So when it was a pass play, I would come out all excited. I ain't had no clue I don't think someone like that is paying it. He's watching everything, and he was right.
Speaker 1: He was right.
Speaker 3: Every time it's the pass play. I come out of the huddle, excited, get to the line, same shit. Yeah, do like this and type my gloves because the ball even I'm just saying, it's the path play at the ball, whether the ball was coming or not. And he key that and he's he's not even playing on my team. He just seen me and noticed that throughout the game. Yeah, you get the TV copy. We would get the TV copy because you could hear them saying this.
Speaker 1: Reno played the Chargers. Every time they go to Reno or Vegas and they check the cover two, no matter what the formation, they would check the cover two. I said, Coach, I told Mike. I said, Mike, every time we come out, we come out in this empty set, they check it. They go in to cover two. He's like, are you sure, I said, every time, he's saying Vegas. So he said, Reno thirteen for a buff fifty three and three tubs. Keep on talking, Let me keep on talking. I'll let me hear you here. I don't I done hurt, I done saw it. I don't listen to the TV copy and you doing the exact same thing. Okay, thing right, hey coch, this is what they do with m hm. Well you must have been killing them right up the scene. Huh hit them. I would do it everything. I oh oh, I was nasty with it that day. O yo, oh, I helpe. They put me outside. I ran on the dB. I ran a slug on him. Yeah he bet.
Speaker 3: Yeah you hey, you must have been y'all must have been inside of thirty probably inside of thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was about twenty yards.
Speaker 3: I knew it.
Speaker 1: I know he was gonna try.
Speaker 3: I know he's gonna try to jump that slant, especially that close in because he's not expecting you to go deep.
Speaker 1: I ran that. I said, oh you coming right there, Well let me go, let me take it up to wait. You gave the eyes to oh oh he biting that.
Speaker 3: He if you if you put them eyes in there, like the ball coming he coming, especially you get a aggressive corner, it's a tight.
Speaker 1: End because he up he cluing And when I went inside, John did this, Oh he right.
Speaker 3: There, gotty, let's go.
Speaker 1: I like it. That was That was the beginning of the end. It was all down here after that uh oh, Joe, check this out. Brock Purty nearly double his salary due to a bonus from NFL Performance based paid. Maybe you've heard about me this before, but brock Purty was mister irrelevant in the NFL draft. As such, his base salary this season's eight hundre it is seventy thousand dollars. When the NFL announced its performance based bonuses on Monday, it was a pretty big deal of party because Party made seven more than seven hundred and thirty nine thousand dollars in bonus program, about eighty five percent bump from his base regular season salary. The end of the leader in bonus play was Baltimore's guard John Simpson, the twenty twenty fourth round pick, who made nine hundred seventy four thousand, six hundred and thirteen dollars. Simpsons started all nighted. Simpsons started seventeen games and played ninety nine percent of the team's offensive snaps.
Speaker 3: That's live, hey lip them, in centives them and centives come in come in handy. They come in handy, and that there are a lot of horror story chat. There are a lot of horror stories when players are going to hit in centives, and you know, the business is so dirty, they've been known to pull players out. They've been known to pull players out there still playing time to make sure they don't hit those incentives. There are many stories of it. I can't I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I heard the gripes inside the locker room a few times.
Speaker 1: That's why you don't put incentives in there, because they can control that. But the way I look at it, O Yoke, Let's just say you a wide receiver and you make it thirty million dollars, shouldn't you lead the team in receptions? Shouldn't you lead the team in touchdowns? Shouldn't you go to the Pro Bowl? So if I got if I'm paying you thirty million, and I still got to incentivize you to go something wrong, we do it, something wrong.
Speaker 3: With Joe, right right, right, right right. So I'm with you when you're right.
Speaker 1: Did you have any incentives in your contract? You know what I believe?
Speaker 3: So I believe, so I'm I'm There were some things that were incentive based, not that I really needed them, but I was able to hit them every time. I was able to hit him every time. So I always had that extra not that that incentive really drove me to do anything, you know, miraculous. I was already motivated in general, just in because I always put the pressure on myself and did all that god damn talking. So I had no choice but to show up right, you know. So the centers really didn't matter, so but I hit them every time.
Speaker 1: Early in my career. I mean, you know, seventh round draft pick, they threw anything. Hey, well you want this, you want to lead the league in part returns? Here we give you all the fouver. You know what I'm saying. And I think I loved I was you played punt return. I was on punk return, not as a returner, but oh god damn did it all? I led the team. I was second one year in tackles. I led the special teams and tackle. My second year I led the team. And but back then, Ojoe, I mean, I think I got fifteen thousand dollars from leading the team in receptions. It's crazy how the money has changed. Huh. Yeah, But you got to realize on jo that year, I think I only made two hundred and twenty thousand, so fifteen thousand. Holdly you chopped that in half Uncle Sam taking half of that. Huh, No, I would. I wouldn't quite often say I may quite get half of it. But he got a knight lookle.
Speaker 3: Chump, you know, And that's that's crazy. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Bears GM Ryan Pole jokes he wished Justin Fields was a jerk to make the trade easier. Let's take a listen to what he had to say on the p MAC show, Pat McAfee.
Speaker 3: Here we go at the bullshit again in terms of hard decisions.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, uh, his jersey is up, you know in our house, it's my my son was Justin Fields for Halloween.
Speaker 1: So I always talk today.
Speaker 4: So those those conversations are tough. So I get from the fan base why that's a difficult thing. But again it's my job to really look at the short term and the long term and set our organization up for success.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So, to make a long story short, Justin Fields is a great teammate, he's a great locker room presence, he's a great guy. He's just not good enough a quarterback for us to keep it over. Caleb Williams of what he's saying is that what you took.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 3: That's all it means. Listen, we don't think you're the future. We don't think you're the right person for us. Even though you're a nice guy. I wish you were a jerk because it would have made it easier for.
Speaker 1: Me to trade you.
Speaker 3: But they have to do what's in the best interest for our organization long term. We just don't think you're the right fit or good enough to do it right. That's that's all that means.
Speaker 1: Because even if you pat your homes and you a jerk, I ain't trading you at all. But you like you're a great guy. So that's the thing. If you're a great guy and you can't play, they're not gonna keep you. You could be a jerk as long as you could play with yours. And that's the thing, man, Caleb Willie, what them guys in the locker room gonna think what Caleb Well is coming with paint and nails. Can you play? That's it? Can you play?
Speaker 3: That's all it comes down to. That's all it come down. And the one thing at a lot of people are gonna try to try to harp on it. Justin Fields can play, Yes, he can play. I just think him being in the right situation, and I think he has that. Sitting the year behind Russ, he has that, and I think he's going to be the future for the Steelers, you know, and Russell Wills is going to move on and get another big payday somewhere else after he showcases what he still has that I know he still has. And I'm excited. I'm excited for Justin Fields. I'm excited for Kayla Williams and what he's going to do in Chicago. And I'm curious what they're going to do. The Bears have two early picks or on my tripping, and I.
Speaker 1: Got one in nine that they have Carolina pick, which is one, and their own thick I think is nine.
Speaker 3: I want to see what they do at nine. I want to see what they do at nine, because it's gonna be it's gonna be a lot of a lot of talent at nine. Still left on the board a lot.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll be willing to trade back. I got my quarterback. If I can, if I can accumulate more assets, because they're not one player away, Ojoe, They're not one player away. So if I could, if I could trade out of nine and move back and maybe Okay, go back to fifteen, go back to fourteen, fifteen and get maybe a second round pick or a third rounder. Yeah, I'll do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You can find a gym. Yeah, you can find a gym. You can find a gym in the second and third round.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's gonna be that'll be very interesting. So that's what he said. That's what I deduced by what he said. Justin Fields is a great person, he's a great player. My son had his jersey. He addressed to him, if jersey is up in our home for Halloween, my son was him. But the quarterback, we will just listen.
Speaker 3: It's all smoking mirrors, no different than John Marra talbout. Oh. He was sick the saying, come on, come on, come on, come on, owners, come on, GMS. It's okay to be honest. Just be honest, just come out.
Speaker 1: And Side released their power ranking of every number one overall draft pick of the twentieth century. Eli Manning was number one. He was originally drafted by the Chargers, but some ssequently traded to the New York Jet Giants. Miles Garrett was number two, Matthew Stafford was number three, Cam Newt was number four, and ralling out the top five with Andrew Love. Joe Burrow was six, Michael Big was seven, Mario Williams was eight, Cousin Palmer was nine, and Jerry Garth was ten. The bottom five thus far, Bryce Young, Jameis Winston, Courtney Brown, David Carr, last but not least, JaMarcus Russell.
Speaker 3: Russell, Hey, I think you know what I don't like? So is this ranking supposed to be from the best number one to the least best?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, I don't like the Jameis Winston one being that low. Okay, because Jameis Winston's had some really really good years in Tampa. He had some really really good years. Now people will harp on the interception problems, but he had some really good years.
Speaker 1: Five thousand yards one year he was Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: These are some good ones, though, These are some good ones. I mean, obviously, I think people in your in your terms, do you is it?
Speaker 1: Is it fair?
Speaker 3: I don't even like using the word bus? Are there any bus in this group?
Speaker 1: To expectations? Okay?
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 1: I like that?
Speaker 3: I like that better. That's for for for lack of better words, anyone on here didn't live up the expectations.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously, JaMarcus Russell didn't, David Carr didn't, Courtney Brown didn't.
Speaker 3: David Carr David Carr situation, but wasn't fair at all. I think, what what you got sacked a hundred times in two games.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just saying, right, Bryce Young, the jury is still out. Sam Bradford. Sam Brafford held a lot of teams hostage as far as pay, because here's the thing, oh Joe, when you go number one overall, you're supposed to be a multiple many many times right pro bowler, all Pro player. At a quarterback, you're supposed to like be franchised to fighting, like get your team in the playoffs, consistently, potentially make a deep playoff run, and eventually get to the super Bowl. Right when you get numbered with that, that's the expectations of the quarterback and that when he goes number one overall.
Speaker 3: So that's tough, though, that's tough. Some of the situations those quarterbacks went into. It would be tough to do that. You would have to be an elite, an elite talent at the position to change everything around you. As far as a franchise when everything else around you is somewhat of the weak link if.
Speaker 1: You look at it. Eli won two Super Bowls. Miles Gatt has been a Defensive Player of the Year. Cam Newton was an MVP, took a team to the Super Bowl. Matthew Stafford won a Super Bowl. Andrew Luck had a phenomenal career, but it took too many hits, had to retire early. Joe Burrow has gone to the Super Bowl. Jared Golf has taken a team to the Super Bowl. Mmmm. That's about it, Joe.
Speaker 3: Really, you know, everybody's lived up to the hype to the best of their abilities, except a few select I don't know if Eric Fisher.
Speaker 1: Did Eric Fisher ever make a Pro Bowl? If he did, I think he made one. Sam Bradford.
Speaker 3: Wait, Eric Eric Fisher.
Speaker 1: He was a officer, He was a tackle. The Kansas City Chief drafted him number one overall. He went number one, and then Luke Jokel went number two to Jacksonville. He went two Pro Bowls. Where's Eric Fisher now? He's not out of the league. Damn mm hmm. He won a Super Bowl. He remember he won the Super He was the left tackle when the Chiefs won their first Super Bowl, and they went remember, they went back and he tours, he tore his achilles like the last play of the championship game, and then they ended up. They ended up. They didn't resign him, and then that was it.
Speaker 3: See how they do See how they do you when you get hurt. See how they do your Your damn is good? Yea, god, damn God, damn NFL business m