Speaker 1: What is up, Dolphins, and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfild. On today's episode, the rookies were on the field for the first time as Miami Dolphins over the weekend. We took in the action, heard from some of the players. We'll get you caught up on all of that, plus we heard from Aaron Brewer and Zach Sealer as they gave us really good sound bites.
Speaker 2: I suppose to chew one.
Speaker 1: I want to break down some of those comments and talk about them further from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 3: Maye Daffy.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get to the rookies here in just one second, but I want to kick it off with the veterans.
Speaker 2: Aaron Brewer and Zach.
Speaker 1: Seiler, two of the best players on the Miami Dolphins a year ago, had media availabilities earlier last week, and I want to touch on some of their comments here. And there's plenty of good stuff that kind of coincides with the thing that we have discussed here on the show about potential boons for the team, things that look forward to, things that could make the team better experience, just all kinds of different elements that is going to comprise what you see on the field in terms of the product in twenty twenty five and the entire inner workings of an organization from February up until that first game in September, and all the things you do to put in place the product that you want on the field. And I feel from the last three four months of doing this may now right February March April May. Yeah, I least track of time nowadays with two kids third on the way. But is this theme of you know, a singular vision and I just feel like all of that kind of tracks together and it has me excited. I want to first play this sound by here from Aaron Brewer and the benefit that he finds from having a full off season here in the program, not having to learn a new offense and the stability of playing the same position back to back years. Plenty of good stuff here from Aaron brew were on where he is now compared to where he was a year ago within this offense and understand the system.
Speaker 4: So I didn't came a long way. And you know, you probably watch femin see for yourself. You know what I'm saying, but I'm just super excited to be back in this system. You Know, when I came in first day OTAs last year, like I felt that little bit BO was kind of frustrated because I was close to the technique we were looking for it here, but I was also far away from what we had wanted. And so just from going through a whole offseason, a whole season now and being they have come back into the same system, same position for like the first time in my cores since probably high school, Like, I just feel amazing. I'm excited to get back into it.
Speaker 1: One of the themes we're going to cover here in these soundbites is the Dolphins pursuit of intelligent football players, which began back in free agency. We talked about it with the players themselves on the interviews and also the testimonials from teammates and coaches that have been around these guys that tell us like, yeah, they are all ball, their good studiers, they're guys that know where to be, when to be there, all that stuff. And that's just a theme across this Dolphins offseason and with Aaron Brewer, a position within this system historically that featured you know, Alex Mack was a guy that went to Cleveland, Atlanta, and San Francisco with Kyle Shanahan, like a smart good center. Look at all the teams that run these offenses, they have them, and Brewer is that. And so the jump from understanding of his responsibility and roles in the offense from year one to year two, I feel like that could have a massive benefit on this offense. I was really excited to hear that and to bring it to you guys and put it on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Next, I want to hear from Brewer talking about some of the things that he picked up in his one year alongside to Ron Armstead, who of course has now retired. But here's Aaron Brewer talking about the leadership and things he learned from playing alongside to Ron Armstead.
Speaker 4: He's preparation for the game. So we always just had like when we study a player or something had he looked at studying players. His attitude was just dealing with like like every day problems with players. Like everybody see like just the football side of things, but we all have our everyday life, you know what I'm saying, And so if you not mentally right, come into the bend to come into a game, come into practice or whatever, you're not going to get the results you need. And so I say, like, that's the biggest thing I took from to run, just how learning how to deal with every day problems within myself and everyone that's around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I mean smart players And we've heard that from you.
Speaker 2: Talk to Patrick Paul. You want to talk about a smart player.
Speaker 1: You guys have heard Austin Jackson on this podcast many times articulating the fine points of offensive line play and just how he sees the game from an intelligence standpoint. James Daniels, do I have to tell you anything about him? Like we had him on the podcast here and he was brilliant in his approach to the to the game and how he attacked it from mental standpoint, talking about sending clips of certain you know, techniques and fundamentals and plays to the rookies and the other guys on the offensive line and just being relentless and teaching those younger guys Like I feel like James a big part of why he's here is to step into a role of that nature where he can be a bit of a leader. And then from a young guy you know Jonah Savoy and ya you've seen the documentary on him talking about his journey to the NFL and how excited he is to protect Tua, and you know the idea of like he's always played for Polynesian quarterbacks and just how he sees the game. And shoot, there was so much stuff about him at Arizona, about how he was willing to change positions and be able to pick up things from different you know, landscapes or rather different perspectives, I should say, and from different landmarks like the game against USC a couple of years ago where he's playing tackle and kicks inside the guard because the interior rush was giving them more of an issue. Like the ability to change in game speaks to how a player can kind of process and see things from different spots, and I think Jonah certainly fits that. Let's go ahead and go back to Aaron Brewer here and hear him talk about James Daniels in that same breadth as Tron Armstead as a leader and a guy that sees the game a certain way.
Speaker 4: I look jar like, I like his mentality tool as Flooball. You know, he he a football junkie, like he he loved this, you know what I'm saying. So like Felm wise, like he owned it and he got a thousand questions. He's trying to just gain understanding everything, Like y'all can fight. You can talk football with dude all day, and so I love that, you know what I'm saying, Like he down then he wanted everything to be right and so like someone like that who like just fully balked into football and loved football, Like you can always work with guys like that. And I was like, he reapping right now. But I watched his film when he was in what his name, Pittsburgh, and like, but it a dog he can move like he got that, he got that motor in him, he got that finish. So yeah, I like James.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to Brewer talking about the rookie Jonah Savoy and night here talking about how special he looks on tape to Brewer, but.
Speaker 4: It's special like for him, like y'all saying, like he a big dude, but he a big dude can move, Like is that what you said? Like as soon as I seen really every posentho with drafted, I'm looking up highlights combine all that good stuff and so nah, I'm in safe, but you got ja. I reached that to Lenon. I'm decited to work with them, man, I'm just I'm just trying to give me like half with as soon as you get here. I'm just trying to get him the men tennency and get him to the standard ACEP, you know what I'm saying, because the fusion can be so bright for him.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way, Arian, I feel the same way. So yeah, the prioritization of smart players.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know, like what's been one of the bigger issues for the offense over the last couple of years. Like when two has been in there, We've been efficient, explosive, we scored points, led the league in points, all that stuff, right, But every team, no matter how good you are, has things they can be better at. For the Dolphins, when they're good or not going good, it's typically like avoiding mistakes, right, shooting themselves in the foot.
Speaker 2: McDaniel's talked about that before.
Speaker 1: We've seen it play out in some of the games, you know, the bigger games, and for that matter, and I always feel like other teams don't really stop our offense as much as it's our own, you know, getting in our own way, and you've seen that ratchet up in the quote unquote big games right Green Bay last year is a good example that first drive, like a couple of pre stat penalties after a muff punt, and all of a sudden you're behind the sticks and behind on the scoreboard, and things kind of snowball from there. So if you prioritize guys that see the game a certain way, guys that can be really sharp with their mentals in the toughest conditions, then you can attack those weaknesses short it up, and now we can reduce the pre snap penalties or mental errors that lead to the mist assignments, and all those chunk passing plays and effective runs will hold up and produce points for you. Aside from those areas to clean up. Shortyards was parat of the other one. I think you can look at and Brewer talked about the mentality and short yardage and I really feel like between he and Jonah and James, and we had Lewis Riddick on the podcast a couple of years ago talking about the physical nature of Austin Jackson and how much he loves that part of his game. If you've seen Patrick Paul play football. You know, it's a big part of his game. Like, I don't know, man, I just look at where things came up short, not just last year, but in some of the previous years offensively, and I feel like there was a specific vision to attack those things specifically, and I'm very excited to see what that looks like as a result in terms of your Sunday product. So, you know, I wrote this out and I was thinking to myself, maybe I'll save it for a different podcasts, but I kind of felt like it plays on this pod because I think that people might be over fading the Dolphins just a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I hear podcast I hear all these discussions about how many games they're gonna win, and you can look at certain things and point to like, you know, disagreements in terms of how things are done in the building and culture and all that stuff, But when it comes to the on field product and the onfield talent, like, I feel like people are sleeping a little bit. My opening disclaimered all of this. You know, if to a play seventeen games, that's it, right, But that's true for most teams who haven't established good quarterback if Josh Allen misses six games, how many of those games does Buffalo actually win, like two at most, So they'd have to go nine and two with Josh in the lineup just to get to eleven and five. And he's capable of that. But you get what I'm saying. I don't know, man, You know, is everyone right or are they wrong? The are they right part is going inside the psyche and temperature of the culture and build because you can't tell me with the same passing battery of Riek and Waddle and Tua, with what you've added with John Husmith and Devon eight Chan in the passing game, and now you get me Nick Westbrook, A Kine and Pharaoh Brown. That's legit the solve to what I thought was the biggest flaw in the twenty twenty four offense blocking off the edge from your eligible positions, and both Brown and Westbrook Akeene can be used in that way. Julian Hill can be used that way in a reduced, simplified way from tight end I last year tight end three and fewer snaps, provided he holds off Jalen Conyers. But that would be a personnel shift in offense. So it's a different style player. I digress. The arsenal of young wide receivers is the best it's been between Malik Washington, Taj Washington, and the four udfas one of those guys is going to hit maybe even two of them. And then there's the offensive line, but not just the O line in a vacuum. You've added thirty pounds of functional strength at guard while improving the athleticism at both spots. Frankly, I think the ability upgrade of James and Jonah over Robin Liam is the biggest upgrade in any team has made any position this season, outside of maybe one team that adds a quarterback or something. But your center should have been a pro bowler. And that was his first year in the system. He's playing the same position in back to back seasons, as you heard, for the first time in his career. And I can point to the run game falloff coinciding with the loss of eight of Austin Jackson last year. And I believe in Patrick Paul he's just too big, he's too smart, too physical and athletic and mature to not hit. So everything around TUA is better, but the personnel in a vacuum doesn't tell the comprehensive change these moves bring. You added two big backs to go behind these big guards and big eligibles at the edge point of attack. Past Shanahan's systems have had successful deployed similar multi scheme integration with an adaptable style of offense. If that's where the Fins are headed, this is going to be a top five offense in football if the quarterback stays healthy, no doubt about that in my mind.
Speaker 2: Can they do it? I think so.
Speaker 1: Let's move now to the defensive side of the football here in a similar question for Zach see I posed to him was second year of Anthony Weaver's defense. We heard Mike mcdalid talk to this offseason about the value of having that continuity and the big jump he saw from the defense around the midway point from last season. How do you think that kind of carries over or rather it gives you, guys, the benefit of familiarity in the second year of having coach Weaver here where you're not going through install from basic you know, day one, one on one stuff right away, but having that kind of platform a jump from from last year. Here's Zach Steeler on Anthony Weaver in your number two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just when you have that system over a couple of years like we do now with Weave and such a solid system, where like he has so much in his back pocket he wants to get to or can get to, it's just that much more exciting because we can get that much more in depth and that much more function from our defense to God to run how we want based on the teams we're playing. So it's really exciting. It's been awesome to see these guys grow, all of us together and Weave system with Jordan t Do, Willie and kJ behind us now and those guys learning the system and kind of rolling through. It's been really cool.
Speaker 1: Separate question was similar, So there was a bit of an add on to this, and I want to go ahead and just play this extra SoundBite that's akin to what you just heard from Zach Seeler.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, to me, it's just kind of what we had on earlier was just the optimization of Coach Weaver's defense to maximize the calls and the abilities of each player. Obviously, him being a player, I think he knows he is a very good eye for that kind of stuff. I'm so really excited to see what he does with it this year.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of where I come down.
Speaker 1: I think I kind of feel like Anthony Weaver earned the right to maybe shot for some of the groceries and maybe be you know, even more of a prominent voice. Not saying he wasn't last year that it's going to be some big difference this year, but I think that he's earned his stripes in terms of what he can be and his potential as the DC and the ability to get to more of the menu in his defensive playbook. And I think you look at the construction of this defense and how similar it is to other teams that run a similar system. You know, we talked about the centers and being you know, football smart for the Kyle Shanahan offense and the Mike Daniel offense. I feel like for Anthony Weaver, there's a pretty good blueprint of defenses that run similar concepts to what he brought to Miami, and you can kind of see this defense taking more of that shape in terms of the style of player and how they can fit in certain systems. And they've been aggressive going after cornerbacks that you can really press up and play man coverage in this front that's so pliable and universal, and how they can rush from different spots. I think there's again to the side of the ball, a certain vision, and I want to go ahead and play this last SoundBite here from Zach Seeler about the addition of Kenneth Grant, but also the entire makeup of the Dolphins front and how beneficial that can be for Zach Sealer and this defense as a whole. Man.
Speaker 5: I'm excited. It makes me really excited to obviously work with Chopp last year than chubn Jalen years prior. It's really excited to see how we can kind of all mess together with great guys across the board. And it's just been awesome to play with these guys the last couple of years, three years in some cases, and really to hopefully get everyone rolling the camp and in the season at max capacity and just really working our stuff and like really be on the goodest advances we can get together and rush to the unit.
Speaker 1: I had this conversation with a friend of mine about, you know, the resources kind of going into the front. Right.
Speaker 2: You saw three defensive tackles drafted.
Speaker 1: You saw Willie Gay and it was signed to a free agent contract.
Speaker 2: kJ Britt as well.
Speaker 1: Tyrel Dotson brought back after being a mid season acquisition last year. And you know, going after chopping the first round, getting JP and Bradley Chubb back and developing Mo Kamara and the guys in that edge room as well, the makeup of this team is kind of like the front seven has really been fortified and had depth and built up that way. And not to mention, we talked about Kenneth Grant and what he can provide at that size and that athletic ability. Is the modern game where you try to defend the run from these two high structures and your four to two five base defense and you have to have big defensive tackles with big, you know, fast, you know instinctive linebackers behind that. And we just saw a Super Bowl champion run the ball over six percent of the time. So this pendulum swinging back towards the run game more, maybe it does make more sense to really fortify your front and then play from there and kind of have a trickle down effect that way. Because this Dolphin's front seven is deep, It's got star potential. If you get the return of Bradley Chubb and JP to the level we know they can play at. If you get Chop development, you get second year of Jordan Brooks as kind of the traffic cop in the middle of the defense. You add Willy Gay to the mix, like, I don't know, man, I'm pretty excited about that upfront on defense as well.
Speaker 2: So that's my spiel.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and take a break rate there, come back on the other side and get to rookie miniamp.
Speaker 2: We'll hear from the guys as well.
Speaker 1: All the draft picks spoke to the media before the practice, plenty to come your way here on the Draft Time podcast brought to you by Auto Nation. And then we had a football practice And it wasn't a training camp practice where I'm out there for an hour forty five minutes giving you guys constant play breakdowns and notes. But I got to watch football today on Friday, and I feel very fortunate to have done that, and it was a good glimpse of what OTU and training camp is gonna be like. And I gotta tell you, guys, I am I'm just about as fired up for this year's camp as I have ever been in this is my sixth year now with the team. I just think I think there's a lot of stuff to help for the Dolphins to prove this season, and I'm excited to see how they go about doing that. So fired up man, fired to watch some football. I want to just go through some of the notes I wrote down here in my chicken scratch and see if I can communicate with you guys on the podcast. So I was trying to watch as much as I could. It's a short practice. It is a lot of players out there. There's all kinds of mixing and matching going on, try out players, the draft picks, the udfas, all that stuff. Here is what I wrote down, just my short form notes. So the first thing I noticed, So we're gonna talk to the players here on the third segment. I'm not gonna put together, gonna roll this through the notes and then do the speaking or the media availabilities. After this, Jordan Phillips, I spoke to him and stood next to him and shook his hand. And the way his body composition is, you know, a three hundred and twenty pound player.
Speaker 2: In fact, what's what's he on the roster? I want to make sure I get this right.
Speaker 1: Jordan Phillips weighs three yeah six three three twenty like you could have told me he was three forty because of like the muscle composition, like you can you can see his chest like through like protruding. You know, he's got good pectoral muscles. I guess is what I'm trying to say. In the football sets and that that body building background, it's everything. Just you know how I say no wasted steps for a player, it seems like there's no wasted poundage on Jordan Phillips's body and the way he moves and the way he does different things and the different positions he can line up at. He was He was a guy that I was looking out out there saying like that, just that guy just looks the part he the movement, the size, the way he struck the bag. I was very, very impressed by Jordan Phillips in this practice. I wrote down number nineteen, which is Anthony Armstrong or sorry, Andrew Armstrong looks like a refrigerator. He was a big body guy and the best matchup of the entire day, of the entire portion we watched was him against bj Adams in press coverage and bj Adams.
Speaker 2: Let's just go ahead and jump into this.
Speaker 1: BJ Adams was the best player on the field that I saw, the UDFA cornerback from UCF. And think like Travis, Dude, you watched like ten reps of like seven on seven and some individual drills, so relax a little bit.
Speaker 2: But that's that's what I saw.
Speaker 1: And it was the way he the way he moved in individuals at that length at that size, and then the way I saw him bring the press cover skills and the physicality and the understanding of jam turn, get into phase, pin to the sideline, and use your length in physicality to direct the receiver to where you want to go. I was so impressed by everything he did, and I thought he was just very clearly the best, Like he stood out the most on the on the entire practice for me. BJ Adams from UCF, a six foot three, one hundred and ninety pound twenty one year old rookie out of Central Florida. He was very very impressive. Forty seven Jalen Conyers. I didn't know he was gonna wait two sixty five because this guy, like that first step off the line of scrimmage, whether it was routes on air, seven on seven individual whatever it was. It's fast, it's quick, and he he his urgency up the stem of the route is what I knew his game as. But I didn't realize he was that big. And maybe that's on me for a hole in my scouting. I didn't really you know, checking on his size back in college. Just watch the tape. But the way he moved at that size, I'm like, Okay, this guy. I didn't I thought he was more of a seam stretch only. But he's got the composition to be able to play inline and potentially be a difference maker, you know, as a blocker. Let's see, I wrote more about bj Adams here just he could scratch his knee standing up. I said, number ninety one is Zeke Bigger's no sorry, check that is a Trayvon Ribka from Kentucky, And I have no idea if I got that right. Rybka. He was a guy that I saw. Dante Colonelli the he does good stuff. He covers the Dolphins, does really great work talking about a guy that he thought jumped off the tape as a UDFA option and a player that wasn't on all those reported signings. We didn't talk about him on the Emery Hunt podcast and Dante was talking about his explosiveness, and I just thought that, Like I watched him go through some of the individual drills and I wrote down ninety one is very light on his feet. So another addition to this defensive tackle group. I thought Kenneth Grant was all over the place. They had unique run in all kinds of different fronts and options. I think that's the idea of this defensive front and the collection of guys they brought in, Because you've got KG can play the nose obviously, Benito Jones is an original nose tackle. Zeke Biggers is a stout run defending nose tackle. I think Jordan Phillips and the UDFA from Kentucky Trayvon can both do that as well. But Kenneth Grant might be a better three technique than he's a zero technique, same with Jordan Phillips. So the options and versatility they're gonna have there with the youth I think they're gonna have. I'm I'm pretty sure that defensive tackle group is going to be young, and I'm very excited about the potential of that group.
Speaker 2: As a whole.
Speaker 1: I wrote down forty six had great change of direction from a backpedal. That is Ethan Robinson, the rookie out of Minnesota. He's a very smooth mover, as you heard from Emory Hunt on the Friday podcast, and that showed up from me here.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: My last note is back to Bjay Adams, who had a one on one rep. So after that work on Andrew Armstrong, he had a rep where he pinned the oese to the sideline and did the exact same thing. He had two more reps of the receiver didn't even get off the line of scrimmage because the press was so good. I just thought he was very, very impressive. So yeah, not a ton. Still fun to watch some football. But those are the notes I got down there so far. And we'll go ahead and come back and here from some of the rookies we talked to every draft picks before practice. We'll go ahead and play some of the best soundbites from those guys. Had some great conversations with Jordan Phillips. Jonah, this is like, this has been the hardest one for me to get down. I thought I had it down previously, but he kind of corrected us today. So he basically gave us a trick saying, if you say Hawaii, but like say it like you're supposed to have, III take out the H for an s So Savii Savii Naya savit e Naya Jonah Saviti Naya. I had a great conversation with Jonah Savit Naya, Jordan Phillips, Dante Trader are plenty of those guys coming up here after the break Drive Time podcast brought to you by Auto Nation. So in doing the one place scouting for HQ for Jordan Phillips, I just couldn't get over that rep that I showed you guys on the YouTube channel right now if you want to go back and check it out where he uses a quarkscrew technique to split a double team against Oregon, clog things up and help his teammates make a tackle. Because we can all see the highlight reel plays that he makes, but the down in and down out consistency to be able to stay within the system and the scheme and do your job. That's obviously the most important thing in football, because if you get eleven guys doing their job, you're gonna be okay. And I just feel like Phillips has a really good feel for that, and I think that his ability to use his body in different and like the functional appliability and the grip strength and the leverage and the push pull ability of a wrestler.
Speaker 2: I just think it all tracks for him.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to ask him, in your opinion, how does your wrestling background, you know, come acrossover to playing defensive line.
Speaker 6: Well, in wrestling, you know, one point of emphasis that I was talking to me in high school is leverage, and so when you wrestle, you know, you quickly find out where to grab a man, you know, like the elbow controls the body, you know what I'm saying, and the tricept does also. So just all about leverage and you know, just understanding the human body. And that's what wrestling taught me.
Speaker 1: Like the technique is applicable from Baltimore. Next question to Jordan was about his work ethic and that Mike McDaniel and Chris Career have alluded to that multiple times in press conferences. So they were asked about that, about where that work ethic comes from and how he applies it to his career and his craft.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I take a lot of pride in it. I mean, obviously, preparation is the key to success, and so I always make sure that I'm preparing the right way. And a part of preparing is working out, you know, taking care of your body and just doing those little things, and I, you know, do the best of my ability to do those things consistently.
Speaker 1: I was able to kind of stay with Jordan and ask them a couple of questions, just one on one there towards and I want to go ahead and run the entire thing for you right here, talking about his body building background as well.
Speaker 2: Irelift to right.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, powerlift is my thing too.
Speaker 2: How long you've been doing that?
Speaker 5: How long did you do that?
Speaker 6: Honestly, I did for two years, but I've been working out my whole life. But really, uh, the last two years of my high school experience is when I, you know, really just did a competitive powerlifting and then obviously it translated over to college.
Speaker 7: And you know how I play, Okay, So yeah, so we had a rep I do I do a YouTube show for the team here, and I had a rep view against Oregon where like the corkscrew technique and you got drop to the knee for a double team and I'm like, that's gonna be his rest.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and you know it just comes along with watching film too and just you know, seeing what works best for you. Thank you, I appreciate you, sir.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to Jonahaya and you guys are gonna love this player. Man. You talk about like you know how sometimes fans like we care more than the players do. Like you know, in whatever league, whatever team, like, that's not gonna ever be a problem with Jonah Savayah Naya because this guy.
Speaker 2: Just just listen to this.
Speaker 1: I asked him about what was it like putting that jersey on for the first time today?
Speaker 3: Man, this is like a dream come true, you know, just being in a league, just knowing that you know, this is a job now for you. You know, it's not like a regular practice. You know, you're here to take someone's jobs. So just having that mindset of just being in this organization, being around great people. I'm just excited to get going. You know, we got practice coming up, so it's something I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna drop this one more time for myself and for you guys. Let's do it one more time and then there's just this like humble nature to him that really jumps out to you when you talk to him. He was asked about his goals at Rookie Minnie Camp this weekend, and you're gonna love these answers. Talk about remember how McDaniel talked to the owners meetings about setting your culture through the draft. Well, this is the kind of guy that you can do that with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So obviously, you know, we just got here. You know, I haven't done anything yet, So obviously I'm trying to like prove myself to the VET that they can count on me. You know, just earning their trust because you know, like they don't care if you're drafted or undrafted or you just got signed. They want to see you like like, you know, putting in that winning mentality year. You know, we want guys that want to win here. So just just being able to be a sponge and sobout informations from them, taking a look around, who are my vets, looking at what they're doing, and just taking from them, you know, that's what really important for me.
Speaker 1: I've told the story about how he kicked into guard playing us USC a couple of years ago, Like didn't bother him one iota. A lot of tackles won't do that. My one of my favorite stories on the Lockdown Dolphins podcast was a certain tackle that didn't want to play guard back in like twenty sixteen. But here's Jonah, I'm playing multiple positions back in college.
Speaker 3: I look at it as it, you know, just being a selfless teammate. You know, I told the guys in Arizona that even my quarterback know that wherever they want me to be at, you know, I'm gonna play there for him. Man, it was one game he told me I need your left tackle because our left t got hurt. So I was like, I'm there for left tackle, but it's good to show my versatility and just just you know that type of teammate. I am just being selfless at putting myself before a team.
Speaker 1: That was a slip of the tongue that you heard him say it myself before the team. He clearly meant the other way around, but I thought that was a great answer. And he also talked about the multiple positions and playing either side of the offensive line in college and how it taught him how to push off of both legs, which is a big key. And you heard coach McDonald talk about body mechanics and how that will determine who plays which guard position, not like veteran communication or anything like. It comes down to more about what players are comfortable with. And it sounds like Jonah and this is a paramount right in the NFL for offensive lot because you dress seven or eight guys in a game, so if you lose somebody like you have to be able to move guys around. So his ability to play multiple spots I think will be a big boon for this team or anybody that had a player like that.
Speaker 2: I want to finish with this one here.
Speaker 1: I asked him about his time at Arizona because he told or he said that when he got to Arizona he wanted to go there over bigger programs to help flip the program. And then he also didn't transfer when the head coach left after his second to last season.
Speaker 2: Here's why he decided to do all that.
Speaker 3: And that's just you know, how I got brought up, you know, just being loyal to my family. And when I got to Arizona, that group of guys that I came in with the class of twenty two, those are my brothers, you know. So when it came to my junior or when Coach Fish left. You know, I didn't want to leave what we've started doing. So that's just that played a big factor on why I wanted to say it was just to be with my brothers and the guy that started my career.
Speaker 1: Was speaking of culture setting, type of personalities and approaches to professionalism. Dante Trader Junior could listen to him talk all day long. I asked him a question here. I'll give you this up because he goes right into it. But I told him, you know, our colleague around here. Marcel Louis Jock from ESPN tweeted a text that he got from Mike Loxley saying that both you and Jordan Phillips were so pro ready in your approach to the game and how you guys approach professional aspect of it, and like, what does that look like for you? A week of preparation and he gave me this answer, which it just the maturity for these guys, Like I think about myself at like twenty two, twenty three years old, and you know the way I saw the world and thought about things. It kind of blows in mind how how mature some of these guys are.
Speaker 8: Like I would say the pursuit of being a pro. I'm just starting to be a pro. So you just embody and some of the things that his old pros have done. So just you know, taking care of your body. And there's only one person that ever came in to build them before me with Jordan Phillips. Like you already had a workout by five thirty. I'm walking in six thirty to the film room. I can hear the music blasting, but you know it really starts on Sundays, we both coming in there and watching. Well, we're all tape and then you know, Monday through Friday, we're always you know self, Scott, more than anything, I understand how we can get better. But also on top of that, you know, diving into ex and zones of our opponents.
Speaker 2: How is the communication from that aspect of your game?
Speaker 1: Then with the Dolphins and Brass, did you talk about that pre draft, when you talk with them at all or after you got drafted? Has there been conversation about that in terms of how you can apply that as appropriately?
Speaker 8: Same thing, So, like you know, every Combine visit you get to talk to the coaches. I bought talked to the special team coordinator and assistants and coach Low just having the ability to bounce some things off and what are the things I'm gonna be able to do and translate and just build a plan of you know what I can keep up. It's all about consistency. I can say I'm gonna wake up four am, but if I can't, you know, sustain that for having a minion years, I'm in the league and it's not gonna work and I'm not gonna pan out. So just really building a playing with coach.
Speaker 1: Low, Coach Slow being Ryan Slower, Dolphin's secondary coach. Let's go ahead to hear from Zeke Biggers now, who I asked, what's your what you what kind of impression you're trying to make here during the weekend at Rookie minute camp from me?
Speaker 9: Just show them that I'm gonna run to the ball, I'm gonna give one hundred percent effort every play and then I'm not people back and make some players. So just just coming there and regular words, showing them that every day and being consistent with it on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: So effort and will are probably two things. He points to.
Speaker 1: Some of your calling cards. What about when it comes to like a technique or physical skill set, the utility, what's the best thing that you bring it?
Speaker 9: Alph though they are, I say, I feel like, as a bigger guy, I can play the the ryn really well. So I feel like just note back in on people on two dinner levels and just playing in the batfield that is something I'm definitely gonna have phrase day be able to help with. And then eventually the pass is working on that every day. So just working the edge and being able to help in the past game as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny, you know, you go pre draft and it's like no one really knows what the defensive tackle position is going to look like in twenty twenty five, and now we're post draft, and I'm like, I got three guys that can play the nose. I got three guys that can play the three technique as effectively, maybe even more than that. And I feel like the Dolphins are going to be able to have enough beef up front regardless of who's up or you know, if we lose someone for a game to an injury, Like they're gonna have depth at these positions now to be able to have a space eater inside an athletic three technique that can win with the pass rush and you know, deconstruct a block one on one different guys that can help keep those linebackers at that second level without committing an extra hat into the run fit, keep them clean and keep them flying to the football. And I think that's the vision here of how this defense could look. You can have multiple fronts. You can have you know, bear fronts where you have a zero technique and two techniques and they're all big dudes. You can run your even fronts out in space, things out. I just think that this front seven, as we talked about in the open, the versatility and the options they now have is really going to be the calling card of this defense. And I you know, Anthony Weavers time from Baltimore being a defensive lineman himself, and all the really good coaches they have in that front seven, with Ryan Crow and Austin Clark and Joe Berry everybody involved, it just seems like that can be a strength and a calling card of this defense and of this football team as you look at the way it's been constructed. Let's go ahead and close here with Ollie Gordon, who I asked him about you know, we've heard about and seen your pass protection real but you also were a dang good pass catcher in college. What is the I guess process or what does it look like for you to develop those skills in college where you know, the running game pass protection was also good, but to make yourself a true three down back, you have to be a receiver as well.
Speaker 2: How did you go about doing that?
Speaker 10: I would say, you know, just backing off on the state. You know, before practice we lived heavy on the jugs, you know, probably catch one hundred balls a day, and I felt like that was huge. So I feel like that's what really helped honestly, all right.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: We did hear from Kenneth Grant as well as Quinn Yours and Jason Marshall Junior, but I did not get soundbites from those guys. So we had Kenneth on the podcast. We talked plenty of about Quinn as well as Jason, so plenty of rookie coverage here for you guys. The last couple of weeks in the podcast, We're gonna go ahead and call it a show right here. On Wednesday, one of my favorite days of the off season calendar schedule, release day, the Dolphins twenty twenty five schedule will be out. We'll break it down with matchups and the h I guess, the quirks of the schedule, all the fun stuff we always do on that annual podcast.
Speaker 2: And that'll be the Wednesday show and then Friday.
Speaker 1: I'm not quite sure that looks like yet, but we'll have a planning for you guys once we get there. In the meantime, you all please be sure subscribe, rate, review the podcast, go ahead and follow me on social at linkedlin NFL. The team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank Podcast with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins HQ, Draft time content, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 2: Until next time, fins up, El on camera and Daddy