Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What'll Drive with Me? Great Episode two six A ton to do today, and I know we might have some new viewers or some curious first time viewers based on some of the Aaron Rodgers conversation from our most recent episode. I am not actually going to discuss anything revolving Aaron and what he said about Jimmy Kimmel on today's show, because Aaron's gonna speak again today. On McAfee yesterday, at the end of season press conference for the Jets, Aaron Rodgers said in quick succession that the Packers, I'm sorry the Jets quote need to get all the bit out of the building that doesn't have to do with winning, and then immediately said he would address his feud with late night host Jimmy Kimmel tomorrow on the McAfee show. So I'm not sure exactly how you square that circle. But Aaron Rodgers, nothing if not lacking for some self awareness, I'm sure will attempt to, I said last week. My guess is he would if I'm on McAfee's show today and play dumb, act like he wasn't alleging what he was obviously alleging, be a little koy, won't be pressed with many hard follow ups and move on. Kimmel last night said that he would accept Aaron's apology if he apologized, I wouldn't hold my breadth there, And so hopefully we don't need to discuss it on Thursday, but if we do, we'll do it then because he's gonna talk later today. Here is what missed the cut for today's show. Missed the cut lebron with a Dunk of the Year candidate ja what a lost wasted season undergoing season ending surgery on a labrum, and Michigan the best team all year long. The clear cut, most dominant run game, defense, and dominant team. They I don't want to say coast because it was a good game, but they win the National Championship Game in dominant fashion and probably knocked Michael Pinnick back down to the middle of the NFL draft instead of people were talking about him maybe being a late first round pick. But where we are going to start today is where we start almost every show this time of year, Demons the NFL. The playoffs are set. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, despite everything you said about the Bills being cooked at six and six, they are going to the playoffs and as the hottest team in the NFL right now. So are you excited about a potential Round two matchup with the Bills and the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for it, and I'm not even hoping for it because I'm gonna I'm not acting like the Bills are some super easy team to beat. That's not what I'm saying. I just think it's the best, the best theater, It would be the best game it. Also, I think the ideal Round two matchups in the NFL are the best ones we could get. Not necessarily what I'm thinking we will get, but the best ones we could get in the NFC are Niners Rams. That's the best one. That's the team. The Niners in Round one theoretically could play the Packers, Rams, Eagles or Bucks. The only team that I think could give them a game, and the team they're rooting against playing is the Rams. For that matchup to happen, the Cowboys would have to beat the Packers, which they will, and the Rams would have to beat the Lions, which I think they can. So in the NFC, the best matchup we could get is Niners Rams, and then Cowboys Eagles would be theoretically the best, but the Eagles are so cooked and we'll talk about them later. Cowboys Bucks might be a better game. In the AFC, all four favorites winning is the best is the best football scenario. Now, I would like to see CJ. Stroud and the Texans how far they can take it. But CJ. Stroud and the Texans facing arrested Ravens team, which is who they would face if both the Bills and the Chiefs win their games, is probably a recipe for disaster. The Cleveland Browns facing arrested Ravens team, now that's a different story. The Browns a divisional rival who has beaten them this year. That would be a really good game, and we will get that game. If the Chiefs and the Bills both win. Chiefs Bills is also the best game. And the way we don't get that game is if the Chiefs lose. We'll talk more about that in a moment, or if the Bills lose to the Steelers, which because they're the Bills, they could but they absolutely shouldn't because TJ. Watts out and it's the Steelers who are very happy to be their team. So let's now, so I am hoping for that. It is the best matchup, it's the best theater, it's two of the best players in the league. And now let's talk about why I was wrong on the Bills. So I did not think that they would get they could win five straight because I did not think Josh Allen would play five straight, clean, good football games. I was right about the second half of that, but they didn't need that to win five straight, and credit to them for that. That was a team that seemed to be coming a part at the seams in some ways, still does have a really weird dynamic between their two best players, Alan and Diggs. That doesn't seem to be fixed in any capacity, and they are winning despite that. And I guess you got to give credit to Sean McDermott who was coaching for his job this last month and was able to keep it. Now, Bills fans, because they're always mad at me, are mad me for this opinion, but I believe it to my core. Had the Jags won in the one o'clock window, then the Bills would have been playing a win and you're the two seed. Lose and you're out of the playoffs game. That's what the scenario I thought was gonna happen this weekend. The Steelers win Saturday, they did, The Jags win Sunday, they obviously didn't, and in the Bills it's either two seed or nothing. If they were playing under those under that context, I think they would have folded after the third terrible Josh Allen turnover. I do they had the cushion of knowing they're in the playoffs no matter what, and if they lose that game, they're just running back this exact game, Dolphins hosting them in Round one, and I think that gave them a little more freedom in that football game. But the Bills are a tricky one man. Their best player by far is their least reliable player. But he's the reason they won that game, and all aside from the punt return, and also the reason they were positioned to lose that game. The Allen mistakes in that game were cartoonish. The first pick was awful. The second pick Bills fans trying to be like, oh, it's like a punt because it was fourth down. It was fourth and two. Yeah, the whole like, oh, it's like a punt that's on fourth and twenty or third and twenty. On fourth and two, you're not trying to punt if you're going for it, you're trying to pick up the two yards leaving points on the board at the end of the half. Held the touchdown pass pot thirty feet in the air could have been another in zone interception, and the fumble wasn't a terrible play by Josh. It was more a great play by Miami. But the flip side to that is his ability to use his legs and get those first downs late in the game was fantastic. He threw for three hundred and fifty yards. I mean they it was the roller coaster Josh Allen experience instead of over the course of a month or a season, over the course of four quarters and you just take the good with.
Speaker 3: The battle problem with Josh Allen and Stefan Diggs, they're gonna be hard.
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 3: I think that in a weird way, that thing that uh, that Stefan Diggs brother did Trayvon, I think it was kind of beneficial for the Bills in a sense, like, uh, you know, Diggs is always super emotional. I feel like he kind of owes Josh Allen some some niceness for the rest of the season. I don't know, some good grace.
Speaker 2: Well he I okay, I mean, listen, he hasn't had one hundred yard games since the week five of the year, Week six, and you ar me and go ahead.
Speaker 3: I feel like, you know, Stefan Diggs and like by this time, he's he's slamming helmets, he's throwing tankers on the sideline, you know, causing a fuss for the team. But you know I did for a bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, So mate, listen, that's an interesting take. Maybe that's the case. He hasn't talked to the media in weeks. It's a weird spot. If you saw when Josh overthrew them on what would have been a ninety yard touchdown, Stefan Diggs was smiling and laughing after it and did like the little like airplane thing running down the field after, which I thought was super odd. He then also made a huge, a huge play later in the game that to me is a tenuous spot. But they've won these games despite it, and so it is. If you would have told me that I was going to be wrong about the Bills, I think everyone would have thought, oh, okay, it's because Josh Allen goes unconscious and they rip off this winning streak. On this winning streak, Josh Allen is averaging two hundred and twenty yards per game, has five touchdowns, five picks, and has an eighty two passer rating. It is the opposite of what you would have thought they were gonna do in the last four games. By the way, since the Kansas City game, it's the numbers are actually a touch worse. And so it is a bizarre situation where their best player is playing some of his worst football of the year and the team is playing its best football of the year, and so maybe that makes them scary because they're winning without Josh Allen going super nova, which we know he can, but they are a puzzling team. And Bill's listen, Bills fans, You're gonna get the Chiefs in your building for a shot to go to the AFC title game. There's nothing you could ask for more than that. And we'll see if you guys can close it out. All right, next, All.
Speaker 3: Right, So the Eagles started off ten and one and are now eleven and six and are being exposed on a weekly basis. Just lost to the Giants. Their offensive stars are injured, and you said their defense might be the worst in the league right now, and what world should they be favored against three favored against your boy Baker Mayfield about three points?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, the Bucks are on the road team. Yeah, of course, but I mean the Bucks are not a good team. And this is just based in the overall talent of the rosters and what people thought of these teams before the year. But you're correct. The right side of this right now is the home dog and it's like the Buck And the other part of this is Baker is hurt. And if you watched Week eighteen, I mean he went into the game, got hurt even more in the game. They didn't exactly play great in this football game against Carolina. They won nine to nothing, you know, on the strength of three field goals and a fumble into the end zone by Carolina that should have been a touchdown and another touchdown called back. But Philly is falling apart. And so I've got a question that might seem outlandish, might seem unfair. Are we sure Nick Sirianni's the coach there next year? Because I'm not. I was.
Speaker 3: I was just about the same man, Like, what's what's going on? He just he was just in the Super Bowl last year. I don't understand why everybody's like he's about to lose his job. He's losing the locker room. What's what's happened over the last eight nine months. I'm confused?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So let's just keep in mind the Eagles trigger historic trigger on coaches. So Andy Reid was there fourteen years. They went to a super Bowl, they went to five NFC title games, They had I think nine double digit win seasons, ten super bowls. Okay, he had one down year going four and twelve, and they fired him. You can say two down years because the year before they were eight to eight but only one truly awful year, and they fired him. Chip Kelly was ten and six and went to the playoffs ten and six again the very next year and missed the playoffs. Started the next year six and nine, and they fired him before the season ended. Doug Peterson in year two won the Super Bowl with a backup quarterback. The next year won the playoffs and or won the playoffs, made the playoffs and won a playoff game with a backup quarterback. Then next year made the playoffs again. The following year was four and a live and they fired him. So, Siri, the idea that Sirianni making the super Bowl buys him massive time is not what their history is now. He's never missed the playoffs, he's never finished below five hundred. But if you go from ten to one to losing six of seven to finish your year including Drew Lock beating you, Kyler Murray beating you, Tyrod Taylor beating you, and then Baker Mayfield in the playoffs beating you, that seats hot. And let me throw one other wrinkle into this, what if Philly gets on good authority, You know, if this job were to come open. This is where Bill Belichick would want to go. Stay in the northeast marquee franchise, first round picks all over the defense. His buddy Matt Patricia's already there to give him the lay of the land. Say what you want about Jalen Hurts better than any quarterbacks Belichick's had since Brady go from no wide receivers to two star wide receivers. It's something so like Philly right now has these different issues. The obvious issue is of the fourteen playoff teams, they have the worst defense. It's objectively terrible at everything. Everyone cooks them. They had as shield. Caapatia pointed this out. They had a ten drive stretch against Kyler and Tyrod Taylor. Seven of those ten went for touchdowns. The defense had no answers. That's not getting fixed this year. Okay, that is the obvious flashing red light problem. That next pretty obvious problem is this coach doesn't know what he's doing right now. Can't switch gears. And when I said I want to see how Nick Sirianni deals with adversity, we know how he deals with success like a pugnacious child. How does he deal with adversity right now, the answer is not great. We know those things, and then demand'say, there's the problem that's not necessarily a problem. Let's call it a concern, a question that you almost have to whisper, you don't want to say too loud. But it's bigger long term than any of the other issues I just mentioned for the Eagles, and that's this one. How good actually is Jalen Hurts? Are are we sure? Hey, Jalen Hurts? Are we sure? Great? That Colhard brought this up?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Kevin Clark brought this up? Pardon me? And it's an interesting take, which is right now, close your eyes and imagine the three best Jaialen Hurts moments this year. Just think about what you see when you do that, and then answer this question. Was he playing football or at a press conference? Oh? Oh, I'm just asking. I'm just asking when I asked you? Is Kevin Clark's point? But it's a good one. If I ask you, what is? What are your favorite Jalen Hurts moments? Does a play come to mind? Or does a quote come to mind? Because right now I think it's a quote. I think it's a few quotes, and they're all good, and so you have to at least consider the fact in college, nobody thought this guy was a franchise quarterback in the NFL. He wasn't drafted like he was a franchise quarterback in the NFL. His first and second year in the league, he didn't look like a franchise quarterback in the NFL. This year, with the league's best offensive line, two of the best receivers, he's not playing like a franchise quarterback in the NFL. Was last year in aberration. It's a concern. Now the counterpoint to that is watch the super Bowl. Turn on the Super Bowl and tell me what you think. That is the counterpoint to that. So I'm not saying this is a definitive take, but it's a concern. It's a concern, and so too long didn't listen. Uh, Jalen Hurt, I'm sorry. The Eagles are cooked. And some people say it's the curse of Big Dom. Other people say it's the curse of Sirianni cursing out Chiefs fans. I don't know, well, you know it's one of the other, but it's it's gone downhill since those moments. All right next Amanse.
Speaker 3: So the Dolphins are coming off of two embarrassing losses, are now heading in Kansas City for their first playoff game. Miami can't beat a playoff team and hasn't had the whatever, can't win on the road and have major injuries. So congrats to making it to the divisional round or do you think it will actually get a little chippy? You want to celebrate now?
Speaker 2: Oh, listen, this is the the Dolphins fifteen days ago were playing, or sixteen days ago we're playing to be the number one seed in the conference. If you were to tell the Chiefs two weeks ago who they're gonna have to play in Round one, the Dolphins would not have been the top pick going into the weekend. They could have been playing in Round one Houston, Indy. Theoretically Buffalo, but it was gonna be very, very difficult for Buffalo to stay the sixth seed going into Pittsburgh. If Buffalo had lost that game, it would have been Pittsburgh or the Dolphins. I'm here to tell you, I'm glad it's the Dolphins, and it's not because they're no good. It's because they demand the Chiefs respect and attention in a way Indy or Pittsburgh wouldn't have. And I believe this Chiefs team, with your full with your full attention, is as good as any team in the league. Think of demanse the worst games for the Chiefs this year. What do they all have in common? Teams The Chiefs didn't take seriously the Broncos. They've beaten them fifteen times in a row, or sixteen times in a row. The Broncos beat them. The Raiders, they'd beaten the Raiders thirteen out of fourteen games. They didn't take them seriously. They got them the Packers, who now are actually good, but at the time looked to be a drift Packers Vieles. Now the Chiefs have not looked terrible or even looked bad in any of their big games. Now they haven't won them all. They've lost a lot of them. Actually. The Lions game they lost by a point, the Bills game they lost by grand larceny by the officials, the Eagles game they lost on a drop at the end right, the Dolphins game they of course won. And now the Jags will talk more about them in a minute. The Jags didn't end up being a great team, but that was a team the Chiefs had to take seriously was a playoff team from last year and the Chiefs were coming up lost. They won that game handling. I think the Chiefs I really like how the year ended. I there is a symmetry to Week one. Chris Jones isn't playing, he's holding out. There's weird vibes, he's in the building, he's and the and then the the kind of that's the week one of the season. Week eighteen, the entire team throws an on field party for Chris Jones getting his sack bonus that came from the holdout. Go ahead, de Monsey, what's up?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's nothing go ahead on anymore. We recovered it with the christ that supposed to be a Foley.
Speaker 2: No so I uh so listen. I like that, And now you gotta we gotta see if the health situation for Wanya Morris and Donovan Smith. There are two left tackles. Donovan's been injured. Wanya gotta cushion in this game. But given the Dolphins injuries on the edge, if there's any team you can deal with some shaky tackles against, it's Miami right now. And I'll be very curious. I'm gonna go ahead, and bet Tyreek doesn't talk a lot of mess this week. Yeah, I think Tyrek the and Tyreek, by the way, he got lost in the shuffle of the Dolphins Bills ending uh and on the play that they called the pass interference penalty, Tyreek dropped the ball, but they called pass interference a minute twenty lefts so nobody cared if he caught it. I think he scores a touchdown instead. It was a stone drop and two plays later two was throwing into double coverage to Chase Claypool and they lose the game. And so I like the spot the Chiefs are in. I like that it's going to be the hardest path possible. And I think once everybody takes a deep breath and realizes, all right, we're now here, and you have a for the most part healthy Chiefs team with the best defense Patrick Mahomes has ever had Mahomes still being Mahomes and Andy Reid still being Andy Reid. I'll take my chances next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tyreek kill is the only player over there that's used to that call weather thoughs.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the oh, thank you, that's another thing. Yeah, I mean zero degrees with a minus fifteen at kickoff from wind chill. That's the other part of this. Miami was gonna have the two seed warm weather. They didn't look like they wanted to tackle Josh Allen in sixty degree weather on Sunday night. Good luck tackling Isaiah Pacheco in negative fifteen. Have fun with that, fellas.
Speaker 3: Next. All right, so you've been super high on the Cowboys off season and still have them making the super Bowl. But your surprise NFC pick was the Rams. I think we're gonna show a tweet for those watching on YouTube. Yeah, so that that was the layout? Is the only reason you have La going so far is because there's no chance that Dallas can beat San Francisco.
Speaker 2: No, it's listen. I think that that could be a really tough matchup for the Niners divisional opponent the Rams have been if we were to. So why right now do people other than me think the Chiefs are super vulnerable because of how they finished the year five and five in the final ten. The Rams are seven and one over the second half of the season and the one loss was in overtime to Baltimore. A Baltimore team that's kicking the teeth in of everybody the Ram. That's the Rams' only loss. The Rams beat the Nine in the playoffs a few years ago with Stafford playing quarterback. I think there is a chance of a little bit of rust factor for Brock Purdy having the buye and sitting out this past week. I also think you're not going to blow out this Rams team, and if you're in a close game late, I don't know that I trust Purdy at all, So I just think for the Rams. It's also why I thought it was a mistake for the Niners to not try harder in that game in Week eighteen. If the Niners had won that game, the Rams would have dropped to the seventh seed. That would have meant it's Rams Cowboys in Round one. I think everybody would agree with me that right, Well, maybe Lions fans wouldn't. But after the Niners, the the two best teams in the conference, my opinion, are clearly Dallas and then the Rams. By losing that game to the Rams, the Niners, I don't want to say guaranteed, but set it up to where they're probably gonna have to beat both of them. The Rams in round two and the Cowboys in round three if you think like I do, that the Rams are gonna beat Detroit and so, yeah, I think the Rams can go to San Francisco and win. I think McVeigh, who hasn't had regular season success against Shanahan, will be ready for what they've got cooked up there. And I think that then Dallas of course does get to host the playoffs the rest of the way. But I'll tell you right now, if it's a Cowboys Niners NFC title game in San Francisco, I'll go with Dallas. The I'll believe brock Perty's playing in the super Bowl when I see him in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: All right, last all right, that was a perfect setup for this next one. Yeah, the playoffs on the line. Trevor Lawrence could not get the job done against Tennessee. So you were right about him in that second half of the playoff game versus Brandon Staley last year, but have been pretty much wrong about him for the remainder of the time.
Speaker 2: Uh do you do you.
Speaker 3: Want to finally just admit that he's bad? Like, what's I can't I don't want to be bad talk about Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: So you think he's bad? So hold on, you think.
Speaker 3: I do think that I think that his team's now winning. I think that I've placed a couple of bets on him, and I've watched the games, and drop after drop U turno after turnover after turnover. He might be worth Josh Allen with the turnovers. I don't know what the ratio is, but yeah, man, Trevor Lawrence, let.
Speaker 2: Me add some common sense to real quick.
Speaker 3: And he looked like a franchise quarterback in college, unlike Jalen Hurt.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me let me just add some common sense to this. Trevor Lawrence, what's the story? Let me ask you this, Demante, what's the story of the NFL season?
Speaker 3: What is quarterback play? All the quarterbacks getting injured?
Speaker 2: There you go, you nailed it. Quarterback injuries. That's the story of the Jag season two. Now, I'm not gonna let.
Speaker 3: Trevor off the story, but I am the story for Jalen.
Speaker 2: I am. I am going to Uh, well, it might be that's why I said there's concern. I didn't say it's over the Let's stay where we're at right here for a moment.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Trevor Lawrence and the Jags were eight and three with a lead against Cincinnati to get to nine and three on Monday Night football. Up to that point in the season, Trevor had three thousand yards passing, sixty eight percent completions, a low touchdown interception ratio, fourteen touchdowns to seven picks, and a ninety four rating, A somewhat disappointing year when I expect him to take an MVP leap. But the Jags were a good team that were clearly gonna win their division, host another playoff game, maybe get as high as the three seed, and see what they could do in that football game. Trevor Lawrence got injured. He then got injured again when he came back from the injury when he shouldn't have from that moment forward, after being eight and three going into that game, he did not win another game, and in the final four games of the year, after having fourteen touchdowns to seven picks, had seven touchdowns to seven picks, and after having a sixty eight percent completion percentage to drop to sixty a ninety four pass rating dropped to seventy four. So what happened to the Jags is their quarterback got hurt. That's very simple now, that is true. Here's what's also true. He needed to be better when he was healthy. Trevor had a disappointing year this year. The Jags had a disappointing year this year. Trevor was brutal in that Titans game. There's no way around that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Do I think he was healthy? Obviously not. But even when he was healthy, his lack of ball security is a huge problem. The fumbles are a problem. The red zone mistakes are a problem for a guy that I thought would end this year as a consensus top five quarterback. Even if he never got hurt. He never approached that level. So is the collapse of the team on him in my opinion, No, he got hurt. But even outside of the collapse, did he have a disappointing year? Absolutely? Does this make you reevaluate whether or not he is a no doubt, can't miss superstar. It has to. This is a bit of a wasted year.
Speaker 3: And the first yeah, I said there was there was the year before. It wasn't it before last year? As you said that he.
Speaker 2: Was three years. No, he never sat. I mean he played the whole year. Listen. I the I think that people have uh unfairly maligned last season for Trevor and they have absolutely like twisted themselves in knots to all of a sudden make the four touchdown comeback in the playoffs something other than an all time great performance, like the idea of like, oh, but he dug them in the hole. That's the story of every great postseason comeback. Teams don't get down twenty plus points without the Only time I can think of a team getting down twenty plus points in a playoff game early enough to where they can come back from it and it not involving massive quarterback mistakes is when the Chiefs round twenty four to nothing to the Texans because they had a kick return fumble, another fumble, and all of a sudden twenty four to nothing. Brady's Super Bowl comeback. There was the pick six, the Andrew Luck twenty seven point comeback against the Chiefs. He had I think three interceptions early in that game. Like that's how these comebacks happen. The quarterback usually makes a bunch of mistakes and then rallies them back. Otherwise, you can't get down three or four scores with enough time left two come back unless some someone has made some grievous errors. With all that said, he didn't play well enough this year. Now, I don't look at this as just an unmitigated collapse, because there is a clear line of demarcation. We all saw him get folded on Monday night football, hobble to the locker room and be a different player after that, And after that suffered two more injuries, a head injury and a shoulder injury. We all saw that. But even without that, he needed to be better. And all of a sudden, when going into this year, you had a very clear top four quarterbacks in the AFC of Mahomes, Lamar, Burrow and Allen. You can argue about the ranking. My thought was, and that's just the AFC, Trevor would cement himself in that group instead a different AFC AFC South quarterback probably did in CJ. Stroud And that's in his own division. So that's where we're at on Trevor Lawrence. And is it possible that he's not gonna be as great as I believed he was gonna be coming out of Clemson. It's possible. Do I think his story is written unequivocally not quick break right back? What's right? Welcome back. What's Driving the Great Episode two oh six. This episode is brought to you by US Bank Winter it can be a drag. Thankfully we have sports to get us through the early part of the year. And if you ask me, nothing goes together like football and sports or I'm sorry, food and sports, food and football. You guys know what I'm saying. Especially this time of year. You got the NFL playoffs, you have Pro basketball, and I'm gonna be just sitting watching them all until the weather finally gets warm and the US Bank Altitude Go Visa signature card provides the perfect way to earn rewards, whether watching your team with other fans at a local restaurant or in the comfort of your own living room. Earn four times the points when you dine out or have food delivered. You can order a pizza and watch it on the big screen TV of yours and earn two times points at grocery stores, which is great if you want to cook at home for the game and if you're willing to brave the elements getting to the game can be rewarding, as you're learned, two times points at gas stations and ev charging stations. Go to Usbank Dot com slash altitude go to learn more about how you can earn twenty thousand bonus points worth two hundred bucks if you spend one thousand dollars in the first ninety days of opening your account. Score big with the US Bank Altitude Go visa signature card. Visit usbank dot com slash altitude go to apply live every day your Way limited time offer credit or issuer of this card's US Bank National Association persude a license from VCUSA Incorporated. Some restrictions may apply. All right, demans, let's get right to Let's play our game today, likely maybe in what if? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, first off, we got the Commanders. Ron Rivere is out with the most cap space, the number two pick, and the Warriors architect Bob Myers coming in to lead the way. Washington is arguably the best coaching job in football. Well, the Commanders turn it around next year or soon.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no. First of all, I disagree with the premise. I think the I think the best coaching vacancy should be Chicago's. But maybe they're gonna make a mistake and keep Eberfluse. But I mean, you have the number one pick, just as much money, better players, more picks, all that stuff. The likely next move for the Commanders is they draft the wrong quarterback at two. I mean, that's just kind of like what their history is. Sorry, Commanders fans, I don't the I'm not rooting for it, but that is the likely likely next move. Maybe they saw enough for Eric b Enemy this year, getting whatever you could out of Sam Howell. They make him the next head coach and pair him with Jaden Daniels at number two, and maybe you're cooking with something. Now. I'm not sure if Jayden Daniels is gonna be a great player, but I like his upside more than Drake May. And then the what if is, of course that they hire Belichick. But I don't want to see Bill Belichick coaching the Commanders, and I don't think if you're gonna draft a young quarterback, I would not hire Bill Belichick. I would want to have a chance for my young quarterback to pair with a coach that's gonna be together for ten years, not a three year thing like Belichick would be all right.
Speaker 3: Next, so the Falcons. The Falcons sent Arthur Smith packing after the blowout. That's they need a quarterback, and they have the eighth overall pick. What happens in Atlanta?
Speaker 2: I think the likely thing is they trade for Justin Fields. I think that is what makes sense. You trade the fortieth pick or whatever their second round pick it's right, or thirty nine forty one for Justin Fields, and you pair him with all that talent you have, You put him in Atlanta on that turf, and you go and you see if he can be the best quarterback in that division. Maybe they sign Russell Wilson on the cheap and try to do that. The what if that I would be concerned about is that they are the team that signed Jimmy Garoppolo when he gets cut by the Raiders, and that would be my concern if I were them. I guess it's possible they take the fourth quarterback off the board, but I wouldn't want to do that. There's two like the I guess it's probably Michael Pinnix, maybe Bo Nicks. I wouldn't want either one of them, you know, with a top ten pick, So I think they should trade for Fields. Low risk, high reward. Signing Russell Wilson is not a terrible idea, But Jimmy G's gonna play he's gonna trick someone into giving him some money. All right.
Speaker 3: Next are the Patriots might part ways with the goat coach this week, Mike vabral has been rumored to be interested. What happens next for the Patriots coaching situation? Oh for the Patriot No, for Belichick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the most likely outcome is that he comes back and they sign Russell Wilson. Like I think that is I. I think that works for everybody. The defense is really good and gonna get its two best players back. They I don't know that they have a sure fire slam dunk hire to make if they're they're sitting at three, so they might not be able to draft the quarterback they wanted. Like, you can stay there, draft Marvin Harrison, sign Russell Wilson and try to start from there. Maybe, uh, for Belichick, maybe you know, the Eagles flame out, fire Nick Sirianni and he goes there. That's a job that would be attractive, super attractive for Bill. He would get Shule's record, it's a marquee franchise. He doesn't have to leave the Northeast. You have all these studs on defense, you have great wide receivers, all of it. The what if, and I've said this for this is norp No no chance he retires record. He wants Shula's record. There's no chance he retires. The what if is what if the Packers beat the Cowboys in Round one and Jerry Jones says, out of here, McCarthy, could he listen? People are like Belichick would never work for Jerry Jones, his mentor, Bill Parcells did, Jimmy Johnson did on a short term thing, it could work. So I think the likely is he's What I don't think he's gonna do is go coach the Falcons. I just don't think that's gonna happen the Belichick, And I don't think he's gonna go to the West Coast and coast the coach the Chargers. So I don't think those things are gonna happen.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, So Jordan Love led the Packers to the playoffs in a do or die game versus the Bears. So I'm just gonna come on the podcast and say this, now, Jordan Love is my guy. You got Trevor Lawrence, and.
Speaker 2: Okay, right now, from that's fine, let's check in on that in five years. But go ahead. That's fine, Okay, all right, this sounds good.
Speaker 3: This this isn't just the youngest team in the league, it's the youngest team to make the playoffs. Ever, what's the future in Green Bay?
Speaker 2: It's likely good, not great. No, No, I mean it's likely good, not great. I don't the I don't think. I think they need to essentially rebuild the defense. But those young receivers have come on, and Jordan looked really really good this year, especially the second In the second half of this year, he looked really really good. So I you know, I'll give him credit. Maybe the Packers did it again and it's their third straight superstar franchise quarterback. I think that is unlikely, but it's on the ball. And he had a better first season with Green Bay than Rogers did as far as first season as the starter. So you've gotta at least believe that's possible. The and then the what if is what if next year they're the worst team in the division. Because it's on the board. I'm not saying I'm picking it, but the Lions, you have no reason to think that they are gonna collapse. The Vikings, you feel like should have been really good. This year with Cousins. They were mediocre this year with four other quarterbacks, and the Bears are about to get Caleb freaking Williams. So I don't know. It wouldn't be they bottom out next year. It would be that seven and ten is last place in the NFC North, Like that is at least on the you know, on the wheel of possibilities. All right, last one.
Speaker 3: Yo, last one. Draymond Green is back in the area. He's in the Warriors facility. Uh. He said that he and Adam Silver. He and Adam Silver had a chat. He told Adam Silver that he was thinking of retirement. Adam Silver told him not to do that. It would be a rash decision. Are you buying this? All right?
Speaker 2: We're not gonna do likely. Maybe what if on this We're just gonna talk about this for a minute. Uh, do you know what this? There was once upon a time, a long time ago, when Demanse was a teenager. Demanse got in trouble and like thirty minutes later, he was walking downstairs with a duffel bag and he's like, I just I'm leaving. He was like, I'm out of here. That's what this was. Demanse Draymond Green's like, wait, what you know you're telling me I can't punch, kick and hit people. I'll just quit. This is this is like the wild said it in uh yesterday in his office to me, He's like when it's you ground your ten year old and he's like, I'm running away. It's like, funny, just go to your room for a little bit, like shut give me a break, give me a break. This is I.
Speaker 3: Really don't like that guy. I really don't.
Speaker 2: I know you don't. I don't. I know you don't. But this idea of okay, I'll just quit, give me a break. You were never retiring Draymond.
Speaker 3: It's too He's saying it's too much for him, Like that'd be like I feel like Stephan Stephen Curry should be saying that right now. It's you. You're You're what's too much?
Speaker 2: What do you mean what? And it's just it is, it is. It's just so ridiculous, man. And sorry if the anecdote I told embarrass you, I didn't mean to, but I think every teenager's done something like that. Be like you know what, I'm out of here, forget you guys. But it's just such like a It's it's the basketball version of the like someone who's in a relationship and every time they get in a fight, it's like we broke up. It's like, well you did it. Like again, It's just very childish stuff. And I the I don't want to be unfair to Draymond, but the I also I also, by the way, if I may kind of nailed that, this whole indefinite suspension was just a nice way of saying ten to fifteen games. Remember like remember when the story came out and pop were like, oh my goodness, how long is he gonna be out for? And I said, probably around ten games. They're gonna call it indefinite. And this idea, like this is the the the idea that you had real issues that was causing this and it was fixed in a month. Like Okay, I mean, I guess I just the I none of this really sits right to me. And I'm not big on this like pending redemption tour, uh that I'm sure we're about to be subjected to. I'm just not all right. So we're gonna do something that we haven't done before. We're gonna do public Defender. But you guys are gonna decide, uh, who I'm defending here? So Demanse, Uh, this has to do with the Saints Falcons game and the Saints, you know, going on their own to score a touchdown of the victory formation. Who are the three options for who I could be the public defender for? Demanse?
Speaker 3: All right, Chad, So you got Jamis Winston first off for going rogue. Secondly you have Dennis Allen for being soft and not one to get his guy a touchdown at the late at the end. Then you got Arthur Smith for being a cry baby. Let us know what you guys, will you guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the chat, just put in Winston, Alan or Smith, and I'll defend whomever you guys pick. Well or there's a poll, pardon me, and so answer that poll in the chat. We'll do that, and then you can also put some of your questions in the chat and we'll do that in the next segment. Quick break, right back, we'll right, all right, welcome back in what's right? Nick? Right? So Demanse, who has the audience chosen that I should be the public defender for on this because it's very different approaches that I would take for each client.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, So the audiences seemed to go, We've got sixty Jamis Winston right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me give what my quick defense of Arthur Smith and Dennis Allen would have been. For Arthur Smith if I'm his attorney, it's very simple, buddy. You want to run up the score, go ahead and run up the score. But you put your guys in kneel down formation. And there is an understood courtesy played by the defense when the offense is in kneel down, which is that we don't hit your players. Greg Sheiano years ago had his guys hit people during kneel down formation. Everyone hated him for it, said it was unsafe, and everybody stopped doing it. So if you're gonna go and kneel down formation and take our courtesy of we're not playing defense, you can't, then do the okie doke. And I'll tell you what's gonna happen next time a team, your team or another's in kneel down, someone's gonna remember this and they're gonna light somebody up and everyone's gonna be like, why'd you do that? And so that's why I was angry. If you want to run a real football play and run up the score, so be it. So that is the defense if I were Arthur Smith, if I'm Dennis Allen for not wanting Jamal Williams to get a touchdown. Guys, I understand you guys are thinking about Jamal getting a touchdown. I understand that I am thinking about the fact that Arthur Smith in about nine hours is gonna be fired and probably knows this is the last game he's ever coaching as a head coach in the NFL. Deep down, he knows he's probably not getting another job. He's gonna have to go back to being a coordinator, maybe a decade from now he does. I don't want his final moment coaching to be us running up the score on him. It's not the way we should do things. I know it's a rivalry. We've already whooped him. We are going to pay this man a courtesy. That's the defense of Dennis Allen. Now the defense of Jameis Winston from Jameis Winston's attorney. And I'm here to tell you, guys, bleep you. I don't need a defense. You guys don't have the jurisdiction to try my client. I don't know if you've checked his contract. He's a pending free agent and he ain't coming back to this Rinki ink franchise anyway. You know why, you guys signed him with the promises that he would get a chance to succeed, to succeed Drew Brees, And then when you gave him the opportunity, he actually played well, and then you went with Derek Carr. I'm sorry you went with Taysom Hill and Derek Carr, My guy who all the teammates love, can't get on the damn field. So no, I'm not saying I even need a defense for Jameis Winston. I'm saying James Winston's the hell out of here. And in his last moment as a New Orleans Saint, he did something for his buddy, Jamal Williams, because there's a hell of a better chance he plays again with one of these guys who's on the Saints right now. Then he plays for this team, this team that jerked him around, never gave him a fair shot. So he's like, it's like a diplomat is speeding down the street. You can pull me over all you want, can't do nothing to me. What are you gonna do? Cut me? Faster. No, my contract's up. My client's contracts up. He doesn't need a defense. He was helping out his guys. He doesn't care what Dennis Allen. Dennis Allen, with his career thirty five winning percentage, thinks of him. Who cares? Bleep you? All right, there's public defender for the day. Jack questions quickly.
Speaker 3: Jack questions John Hawkins, Raiders fan. Should we keep Antonio Pierce or go after Harball or Gruden?
Speaker 2: Gruden? I assume Gruden's a mistake. You can't rehire John Gruden the homophobic, racist emails just because they were a few years ago. You're gonna hire his brother. You're not hiring Gruden. Harball. You fired the guy for something he did. You can't now bring him back. By the way, he wasn't that good. Harball would be great. If you can't get Harball, keep Antonio Peers. He'll he won't be that expensive. The players seem to love him. They played hard for him, they played well. See what he can do next.
Speaker 3: Austin Hackett asked, what do you think the Steelers should do to take the lead this offseason at quarterback? You know, assuming Mason Rudolph doesn't go on until playoff run.
Speaker 2: No, you're just cooked. I mean just you're in no man's land, gonna have like the twentieth pick of the draft. I don't know what you do. You don't want to sign Russell Wilson, Just what do you do? You could be the team that tries trade for Justin Fields, I guess, But I want Justin Fields indoors. Personally, I want him in good weather indoors. That's fair. And so I don't know. I don't have a fix for you at quarterback. It ain't tiny hands? Can you Pickett tell you that much?
Speaker 3: Next, Luke Schubert said, Nick, is there a player that is not in the NFL Hall of Fame that you think should have been included?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a handful, But the one that I think is going to keep being on the outside looking in from contemporary times is Andre Johnson. Now, I think Jamal Charles was a Hall of Fame level player, but he doesn't have the numbers to back it up, and he's not going to get in. Andre Johnson was a top two wide receiver in the league for a half decade with terrible quarterbacks his whole career. I think he should definitely get in before a bunch of these other receivers who might get in ahead of him. Go ahead, Demond, Jacob, this is for you or dem from Jacob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jacob him asked demondse what is your ranking on which team is going to win the Super Bowl? My a f C pick would have to be the Ravens obviously, Uh, second pick in the a f C would have to be the Browns. NFC East would be either the Cowboys or San.
Speaker 2: France said obviously do you just mean.
Speaker 3: No, not NFC's n FC.
Speaker 2: Sorry, so yeah, I got will pick right now.
Speaker 3: My Super Bowl pick right now is Ravens over who over? Call it? The San Fran So you don't want to say Cowboys? Yea, wait, what did you say?
Speaker 2: Surprise? I wait? The two number one seeds wait to go out on a limb. I'm surprised you're not rolling with your packers. You said you're a Jordan Love guy. Now Jordan is Jake? Is Jake Browning a day one starter? Next year he'll be in a quarter what's his contract? Hold on? I think so? Hold on, Jake? Yeah, I mean no, if you're the oh no, so he's an exclusive rights free agent so that means they get to keep him. No, if you're the Bengals, you can't trade him. Joe Burrow's an injury risk, great player, injury risk. You got to keep Jake Browning. You just have to. You gotta keep Jake Browning and Jake Browning. Yeah, never mind, I'm not gonna talk about it. Uh, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Keep destroying me.
Speaker 2: Who's been Jake Browning?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because you play with the Ravens and you run that rinky ink offense, and you think your people you're gonna you're gonna play little kids who don't understand how to dippen.
Speaker 3: I saw your record on the NFL twenty four Dude, I don't think you should be talking.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? I haven't even played it? What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Well, you've got twenty one games played. You're like a you're like eleven and ten or ten and eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh you have well that I'm not sure, no, no, no, the I don't even think I have the new one. So maybe I do. Maybe I played it right when it came out and I don't remember. I mean, I trust you if you say you saw my record, I also don't have access to my account anymore. Your sister wrecked it for me, your baby sister, not even Diorra. Your baby sister logged me, logged me in out of my account, trying to watch some stupid show. And now it's sending a two factor authentication to a phone I don't even have anymore. Such a disaster. I can't even play. All right, good show, everybody. You can see me on. Listen. My show starts at three. You can watch that. In between that. If you're watching Sports TV, you can watch I'll be on with Colin. You can watch Colin talk some college football national championship, some playoff stuff, or you can hear an increasingly unhinged guy lob accusations. You know at international celebrities, you know your choice on what you want to watch this afternoon. I'll see you guys at three. What's right? Hey, it's Nick right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell and you're audio listeners, people that have commutes, drives, whatever it is. Subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out, appreciate you.