Speaker 1: Where are that because you aren't on Alvarez.
Speaker 2: He's still a little bit away, Like I'd be surprised if you see him this weekend against the Mariners. But with the Astros, who knows they could activate him today and surprise all of us.
Speaker 3: Here we got.
Speaker 4: We're back with Chandler Rome from the Athletic and of course Crush City Territory as well, your host of the show that you should check out all about the Houston Astros. Chandler, great to see you and let's just start nice in general with the shows. I feel like we haven't talked about them enough. Best part of the twenty twenty five Astros right now and worst.
Speaker 3: Part is.
Speaker 2: The best part's Hunter Brown and that's kind of without. That's tough to debate. Their bullpen's been sneaky good. I say sneaky good. I think they have the best bullpeny Ari and baseball. But Hunter Brown is the best pitcher in baseball right now in my opinion. He did not have a great start yesterday at steinbren Or Field. The jet stream and right field and the small dimensions did not help him, but he was due a clunker. I think he gave up five runs and five, and that raised his ERA to a huge two point zero four. He has been the epitome of an ace. He's been everything that this team has needed and more.
Speaker 3: He is the guy.
Speaker 2: He and Fromberveldez are keeping this thing afloat and really stabilizing a pitching staff that's had a ton of injuries so far. So it's it's easy to say that Hunter Brown's probably the best thing about the Astros right now. The worst is a lineup. They are underperforming as an offense. Their off season acquisition one of them, Christian Walker, has has really really scuffled.
Speaker 3: Jose Altuve is.
Speaker 2: In the middle of one of the worst thirty five game stretches of his career. Gordon Alvarez is still in the IL with a hand injury. And all that being said, they knew coming into the season that this lineup was going to be a bat or too short, given that they let Alex Bregman walk, they traded Kyle Tucker. So when those guys aren't producing, when Alvarez isn't on the field, and Altuve and Walker are scuffling, inherently, the lineup's just just not going to It's not going to function. They have a six ninety five team ops us right now, they're slugging three seventy eight.
Speaker 3: As a team.
Speaker 2: It's not a deep lineup. It's not a lineup that is giving Joe a spot of many options either, because as we speak right now, they are carrying uh. They have fourteen position players, twelve of them are right handed, and their only two semblances of balance are switch hitting backup catcher Victor Karattini and left handed hitting third catcher Sasar Salazar, who, since he got called up for Jordan Alvarez, has not played in a game. So Joe has very little he can do to like mix the lineup up look wise, Like you know, opposing managers can just send every right handed reliever they have out there. Because the Astros have no recourse, they can't create a platoon advantage, they can't create any sort of late game, you know, advantage situations, because this is a poorly constructed roster and it's a lineup that they knew coming in was going to be thin, and the guys that they.
Speaker 3: Are paying to produce are not producing.
Speaker 5: Not going to any new guys first, but going to HO two. Is the lack of protection more evident in ol two a's at bats throughout the short season so far, or is it a sign of regression that al two as may be hitting that that little bump beer where he's gonna have to make an adjustment.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little bit of both. Eric.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's not had he did not have much protection, still doesn't. But they have slowly moved him down in the batting order. He he he asked out of the leadoff spot about three weeks ago, seeded that to Jeremy Pania, who's having a great year. And then a couple of days ago, Joe spot of moving down the third in the batting order, trying to spark something a little bit, and I mean actions kind of speak louder than words at this point that they keep finding ways to get him down a little bit. He's Jose al Tuova. They're not going to abandon him. They're not gonna not run him out there every day. You know, I was joking on Crush City earlier that we were taught we were having this debate and Reddick and I joke that, you know, they play a four game series against the Mariners this weekend, he'll probably get like thirteen hits in those four games and make us all look stupid for you know, talking about his demise if you will. But you look at the Savant page right now, it doesn't look good. It's a lot of blue. He's hitting one ninety against fastballs against four seemers this year. He hit three h eight against four seemers last year. His bat speed is down from his career from other points in his career. His ground ball rate is very up. His line drive rate is one of the lowest line drive rates of his career. There's not much under the hood that says it's nearing or getting better. There's bad luck, but again, he's Jose al Tuve. They're not giving up on him. He's gonna run out there every day and they they have faith in him more than anyone that he's gonna find a way to turn it around.
Speaker 1: Where's your on Avares? Where's yourd On Alvarez? Because we did a whole thing last week. I think it was that he didn't do interviews in Texas and he missed this and he's doing this and they don't know what's wrong with him, Like where are the he?
Speaker 2: Because ord On Avares, Well, I'll give you jord on credit. He did do an interview in Tampa on the first day of the trip. In Tampa, I was not there, so I was not in the interview, but reading the quotes that he gave, it sounds like he was pretty frustrated, just that he didn't think it would take this long. But at the same time, he said it was something that has been bothering him for a while. He has had hand issues in the past. If you cover the Astros, or if you follow the Astros for any length of time, you understand that they are not going to tell you much about injuries. They're not going to be specific about a lot of stuff, and they've lost all benefit of the doubt from their fans, from people that cover them, They've lost all benefit of the doubt when when they start talking about injuries at this point. So at this point, anything they say about him, like I just kind of let go in one ear and out the other, like I'll when he's back, he'll be back. So I can't really take much that they say now with a ton of merit. But if you believe what they say, he's got a muscle strain at the top of his hand. He is still swinging a bat, but he does still feel some discomfort while swinging the bat, that's what they say. So he has not progressed to hitting VP off the feet. On the field, he's taken like soft toss and tea work, but he's still a little bit away, Like I'd be surprised if you see him this weekend against the Mariners. But with the Astros, who knows they could activate him today and surprise all of us.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of failure in baseball, and you should also look at your favorite manager and see how he's doing since he took over whatever job that is. Because sometimes you can age fast, you can lose hair and crats. We might have an answer for those stressed out managers, and it is.
Speaker 3: Neutrafol.
Speaker 5: You might lose hair, but nutrifol will help you thicken it back up and you will look as youthful as the first day you were a manager.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Many hair supplements over promise and under delivered, but Nutrifol is different, as the number one dermatologist recommended hair growth supplement brand trusted by over one point five million people. So start your hair growth journey with nutrifol, and for a limited time, you can get ten dollars off your first month subscription and free shipping when you go to nutrofold dot com and then enter the promo code foul. Find out why Neutrifol is the best selling hair growth supplement brand at nutrifold dot com spelled n U t r A f o l dot com promo code foul.
Speaker 5: Can you give us another example besides the Jordon thing, because Kyle Tucker last year had a contusion and then we found out right when he was coming back, Oh, it was a fracture, but that was three four months later. Is there other examples?
Speaker 2: I mean it's more and look, I'm not here and aj Kratz like you guys played like I'm not here, like seeking like medical records of players, like I don't want to know what medicines they're on. I don't want Like we're not asking for much here. But the clarity that they provide is non existent, and the prognoses they give is usually it exceeds what they say, or it's not all the way true, like the lack of just alignment and communication. It has been something that has now spanned three general managers, it's spanned three field managers, so this is not something that is new this year. It's something that has been for a while. You look at their guys, their pitchers that have undergone arm surgery and their return to play. Luis Garcia had Tommy John surgery I want to say, about fourteen to fifteen months ago, and he's had a number of setbacks, not even thrown off a mound yet. Lance McCullers, we've been through how many setbacks he had. Dana Brown admitted last year that they rushed JP Frantz back from a shoulder injury that caused him to tailor the capsule in his shoulder and that needed a repair a surgery. James Klick, the former general manager, acknowledged that they rushed Jake Myers back from his torn laboram that he suffered in the twenty twenty one ALBS Click promised a return review of the Astros return to play procedure at that point. He was fired a couple months later, so I don't know if that review of the return to play procedure ever actually happened. But if you've watched how they've handled themselves and how all these pitchers have setbacks, and how all these position players aren't coming back on time, it would seem proven that they would need to review the return to play procedure and the Tucker the Tucker contusion thing. I mean, at the end of the day, like it got to be where like they were making him look bad because like fans thought he was out for three and a half months with a bruise, when you know, I talked to doctors. I wrote a story where I quoted like four orthopedic surgeons who said, like, yeah, you know, it's possible to be out for four these these things can take. That's a long the heel for a bone bruise, but it's not that common. And come to find out there was a fracture in there.
Speaker 3: So it's just kind of.
Speaker 2: Part of the territory covering this team. That's just how this is how they're going to operate. So you kind of have to roll with the punches and go with it.
Speaker 5: Someone who had a lot of setbacks and had a tough tough time getting back. It's the anniversary of his debut just a few days ago when he wore his Batman cleats. Lance McCullers is taking the mound tonight. What is the difference that you see in Lance colors from the day that he made his Batman Cleats Big League debut and had that arrogance and swag to now somebody who's gone through quite a bit and has worked his way to get back.
Speaker 3: Out on the mound.
Speaker 2: Man, that's a that's a big question because, like you said, I mean, it was ten years ago that he debuted. He's gotten married since then, he's had two little girls. I mean, obviously that matures you, like becoming a husband, becoming a father. He is certainly not maybe the throat slashing, swaggy like kid that was on the mound back then, but certainly believes a lot it. Certainly is very confident in himself. That hasn't changed. That kind of inner aura and that kind of inner swagger hasn't changed. Maybe he's not showing it on the mound as much as far as like what he is as a pitcher, like a completely different guy. Like the days of twenty four straight curveballs to win a pennant in twenty seventeen are long gone, you know, so are the days really of him as a curveball maestro. Like his curveball now is basically a show pitch to lefties, where like, he's way more into his change up now.
Speaker 3: He uses a slider a lot.
Speaker 2: The two seam is I mean, you're not going to see a bunch of ninety five ninety six anymore. He's ninety ninety two can hit ninety three. He started backdooring the two seam in his last start against the Rangers. He is a different pitcher, and injuries have kind of forced that. You know, he was away from the game for nine hundred and fifteen days before you know, returning this season, and he was never going to return throwing you know, ninety six ninety seven. Not the same kind of guy. And look, the curveball had kind of lessened in emphasis before he got hurt too, Like he had incorporated a slider, he had incorporated the change up. He throws the four seam every now and then. He is a much more complete pitcher now than maybe he was when he debuted in twenty fifteen. And certainly he's been through a lot. One of the two remaining guys from the twenty seventeen Astros that are still on that are still active with the Astros, so he's obviously been through a ton with that hole. The fallout of that scandal and everything, but a much more complete pitcher, a guy that's not going to rely on just spinning you to death with curveballs, a lot more varied, diverse arsenal, and a guy that is he is only growing in importance to the Astros right now, given Ronel Blancos the news recently that Renel Blanco had some elbow pain.
Speaker 1: Hey, chander're a great story is Colton Gordon? He pitched in Tampa the other day against He's from Saint Pete. He grew up a raised fan, the whole thing. I mean, this guy kind of came out of nowhere for this team. He's not a hard thrower, he's kind of a you know, a soft tossing left you with a bunch of breaking balls. Can he help them in the long term? And plus you got to tell the cool story about him, you know, delivering pizzas while he was on rehob It's kind of an awesome story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I'll start with the pizza thing, because that's hilarious to me. He got so the Astros. He was a discount draft by the Astros. He had Tommy John surgery in May of his draft year and the Astros took a high school kid in the first with their first pick of that draft, needed to pay him overslot, so they were looking for some discount picks later in that draft. Colton Gordon eighth round pick. I think they signed him for like fifty grand under his slot value. But he threw strikes. They like the fastball from the left side, and you know, so they once he signed his contract, they send him to West Palm to rehab. Tommy John And if you ever meet and talk to Colton Gordon, he does not do well with just like sitting still, sitting idle. He's very fidgety, always has to be doing something. And he would finish his rehab every day at about noon and didn't want to sit in the hotel that they put him up in all day. So if you've ever been to Florida spring training, you know about Clematis Street in West Palm Beach. He walked into Clematis Pizza on Clematis Street in downtown West Palm said look, I'm only here for four months, but if you guys will have me, I'll deliver pizzas. And they gave him the job, and I don't know that he made back the fifty grand that he got shorted in the slot value thing. But you know, just it was interesting for him to talk to, Like he said that allowed him to take his mind off the rehab, Like it gives you something to do during a rehab to where you're not just thinking about, Man, I'm not going to be pitching in a competitive environment for the next nine ten months, Like Tommy John, reab is such an isolating experience and it's so monotonous, and like, guys need that to take their mind off of stuff. And for him, it was delivering pizzas in a Ford f one fifty in West Palm Beach. He he didn't remember how much he made, but he did tell a story about he pulled up to one of those mansions on the island in Palm Beach was bringing ten pepperoni pizzas to the security guards that were working party and they tipped him a hundred bucks for delivering ten pepperoni pizzas.
Speaker 3: So that was great for young Colton Gordon. Now older Colton Gordon has made the big leagues.
Speaker 2: They sent him out after his last start in Saint Pete, where he actually pitched very well against a raised lineup that cannot hit left handed pitching, but he pitched well. They sent him out with Ronel Blanco likely headed to the IL in the next couple of days. That would pave the way if they need they do need a starter for Sunday against the Mariners. Would pave the way for them to call him back up quick because he's replacing someone.
Speaker 3: That went on the I think he can help them.
Speaker 2: I don't know that he's like a middle of the rotation like count on this guy, but he throws a ton of strikes. He throws a lot of different He is the epitome of a crafty left He just the velo's not up there, but like has a six pitch arsenal can command it really well. And one thing Joe Aspata has said one thing that every a lot of team officials have said, like this guy's not scared, like he he comes right at you, like he'll pound the zone. He's aggressive in the strike zone. He's gonna make hitters get themselves out, and you know, I think this is a guy that could get them, you know, two times through in order before turning it over to that bullpen that's been good all year. So yeah, I think he can help them, and I think he may have to help them given the state of their kind of what they are facing injury wise on their pitching staff.
Speaker 4: Hey, security guards get good cash, so good for them being good tippers. I like that, Chandler, Thank you for the time.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Keep crushing it on Crush City. We love listening to it and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Scott, you need to check out this Roeback hoodie I have. It's eighty five plus degrees here in Florida. Look lightweight, feels great, cool colors perfect for those hot Florida days.
Speaker 4: I agree, aj color looks fire and you can get your own sweatshirt polo hoodie. Go check out Roeback and if you do, in your first time customer rowback dot com using the code foul gets you twenty percent off your first purchase. R HO B A c K dot com code fo u L get after at ftfan, The Athletic put at an article saying which teams are trying treading a divided leagues haves and have nots.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna explain the chart.
Speaker 4: I think it's important to leave the chart up for a minute, So put up the chart and then I will go through what you're looking at. Category one powerhouses. Green dot in the upper right corner of the screen. That's the Dodgers. It's not very difficult to determine that. You know, they're set in the standard for trying and for spending and all that. The Mets have actually outspent the Dodgers during the time period that they were looking at twenty twenty two to the twenty twenty five seasons. But of course the Dodgers have them more success than the Mets. That's why you see the Mets lower on the totem pole right. So you're taking the spending, which moves you to the right side, and the winning and losing, which moves you up and down. You've got the Yankees, Phillies, Padres, Astros, and Braves also in the powerhouse category. That's a word I use very often on the show Overachievers. You've got a small group of teams that don't spend much but have a lot of winning Baltimore, although that doesn't sound good right now, Milwaukee, Seattle, Tampa, Bay, Cleveland. Then there's the basement, right that's for teams that don't spend and don't win. Pittsburgh, Miami, the Atchs, the Nats, the White Sox, the Rockies, and the Royals are on right. The Royals just turned it around last year. Middle is a mix of all of this, and then the Angels are in a separate category from everyone else because they do actually spend they just haven't seen wins and losses. What do you think of this chart?
Speaker 3: I thought it was cool like it aj?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it just shows you who the good teams are and who's not, who the good organizations are, and who the good organizations are, and it's pretty much what it boils down to, right. I Mean, you can say whatever you want about spending money, but if you don't spend money the right way, you still don't win. And then you have organizations that have figured out certain things, like whether it's the Rays with what they do, the Brewers with what they do, the Guardians with what they do, and they're kind of the outliers, right. I Mean, Baltimore they just drafted really well the last couple of years and had all these prospects that worked out for them.
Speaker 3: So that's the thing they do really well.
Speaker 1: They've done really well up until this year, right, So I think This is interesting because the powerhouses are the ones that usually win. They're the ones if you look at it, they're the ones that are winning, and they're the ones that we look in the standings today, they're usually at the top of the standings.
Speaker 5: But that would say, oh, we have to have the salary cap, then those teams can't spend that much, which I I think I think it comes down to. I think it comes down to the organizations that build themselves from within, and when they do it, they add to it. They don't just buy their team from pieces from other teams. Like look at the Astros are in there, the Braves are in there. Obviously there's other four teams. They didn't really build it from within. There's a few on the Phillies. But to me, once you do that, you've saved up. Let's say it takes you four years to rebuild. You saved money during those years. You can use that money. Then once you have all the prospects Baltimore, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But here's here's here's my thing. If you look at this the teams, let's just look at the winning percentage, right, Dodgers, Atlanta, Houston, Philly, Yankees, Mets, saying, diego okay, are all above five point fifty on this chart, right, And then you look at the overachievers, Tampa Bay against Seattle Milwaukee. Seattle has a generational rotation. Milwaukee was blessed for years. They're kind of come back down. In reality. Cleveland knows something about pitching that no one else does. Tampa does their thing, and Baltimore had those great prospects. But then when you get to me, the ones that are stand out more. Forget the salary cap. Why do we need a salary cav We don't have a salary floor. Athletics, White Sox, Colorado, even though Colorado does spend a little bit. Washington, Casey, Miami and Pittsburgh. Guess who doesn't win. The teams that don't add, don't spend money, and they trade away all their players because they think they're smarter whatever they want to save money. Those are the teams that don't win. I'm sorry, that's what happens.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: When Washington won in twenty nineteen, what did they have Strasburg sures Er, Corbin Right, Zimmerman was there on the long term deal, Jason Worth, Trey Turner, Anthony Rendeo. When he wanted to play right, Like, these were all guys that were making money and they had a bigger payroll. They've gone into this mode since then, since training Soto, and they haven't spent back to get They were the team I said this offseason should go out and get some guys.
Speaker 5: They didn't really do it.
Speaker 1: And look they're stuck in the middle again. They're stuck down to the bottom. So it goes hand to hand. You get the prospects, then you got to go spend to finish it off, like the Cubs did, the Astros did, all these teams did. They went through these long rebuilds. You got to spend at the end to get over the top. They're not doing it.
Speaker 4: The metal helps me out a lot too, because you see some teams where you're like, they should be pushed a little more to the right side here. I mean, we've talked about the Cubs a lot. How about the Giants. That's a big market. Neither are the only ones in that market.
Speaker 3: No, that was a different group to me.
Speaker 5: To me, the ones that stick out there, Cardinals, Cubs, and Giants. The Giants had a different The Giants had a different like Yo far haan Z Aidy was running to the front office. Maybe he tried to Nicholin Dime. Maybe they missed out on if they had, you know, had the prospect or had the had Judge or had Correa, yes they would have bumped them up in payroll. But to me, those three teams out of that middle are the ones that should be pushing, pushing the upper limit. They should be going farther to the right on their payroll.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah, very interesting list there,