Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the a Everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler and Danny G a global reach available you found it wherever podcasts are available. You can find this podcast on demand. A spinoff of The Overnight Show, The Ben Mahlercher heard Monday through Friday, eastn Standard time two in the morning, two in the morning till six in the morning, but on the West Coast eleven pm until three am. And if you're in Hawaii, it's just a night show. And if you're in Europe, it's on during the day and you can hear me there. Danny G, who used to work with me on the Overnight Show, you can hear him on with Covino and Rich Monday through Friday. Fox Sports Radio. When can people hear you exactly Danny.
Speaker 3: G on the West coast two to four pm and on the East coast five.
Speaker 1: To seven, five to seven. Check that out from our new studio. A couple weeks into the new studio and it's not been trashed completely yet. I was upset because they changed the air conditioning the wall and the main studio like it's still fine, it works, but they had this really nice box on the wall for the air conditioning that was like high end, and they took it off and put this like crappy one on. I don't know why they did. That's a downgrade.
Speaker 3: I wonder why they did that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I have no idea, but I noticed that at and the people have been asking what's the old what's going on in the old studio? Nothing, it's there. They didn't change anything, they didn't get rid of it. I've actually gone in there. I've gotten to work because I've had to drive in a little bit more from way out in the north Woods. I'm really happy about that. I like that drive. It's a good make sure my car works, and good to support the oil industry with the gas. So I got out there and I've gotten it early and sat in that room and watched some of the NBA playoff games in my old seat, so that was kind of neat nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the daytime, they record some podcasts in there.
Speaker 1: Oh really, but just recording podcasts.
Speaker 3: Got Leave does podcasts and so does Rob Parker.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the new podcast studio. Yeah, okay, there you go. So who knew. Well, we we do our podcast differently and we don't want to use that. We don't use that studio.
Speaker 3: So you don't use that stinking studio, man.
Speaker 1: And that studio. We're done with that studio. Absolutely. We are not done with the mail bag. And that means ohio, al it's.
Speaker 3: This bag. Yeah, just getting started with a mail bag. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get started here, deep into the mail bag. If you'd like to send a question in, you do not have to wait for me to post something on Facebook. You can email me right now. Email Danny Greel fifth hour at gmail dot com, Real fifth hour at gmail dot com. I cannot guarantee that we will put your question on the air, but the odds improved dramatically if you actually send one in as opposed to not sending one in. I will guarantee if you don't send a question in we will not be able to read your question on the air. So with that said, the first mail bag question comes from Pete the Machinist, who is listening to this podcast in Albany, Oregon. He says, Guys, when it's the weekend or maybe a day off, are you still somewhat like nocturnal? He says? Or do you adjust your sleep schedule for the weekends and then go back to sleep regularly or back to sleep the same sleep schedule for the weekdays. I guess you're talking to me here. When you do the overnight show, does your overnight shift conflict with your wife's schedule? So, Pete, here's the problem. I like to keep the schedule as close as I can to the weekday schedule, but that would mean that I would not see any friends or family, and I like to see some people from time to time. So I do attempt to tweak my schedule a little bit on the weekends. It's not easy. My wife does work similar hours, but she's got a superpower. I'm married. My wife wants to dress up. She how dare you? It's very hard for me to get quality sleep. She's able to sleep whenever she wants. I don't have that, so I hope that answers your question. Danny. I know you did the overnight show for a while, so you had to battle sleep and all that.
Speaker 3: It was one problem dating during that time working on your show, because I'd have to flip my schedule around every weekend to be a normal person and keep up with the girl that I was dating at the time. It was not easy because I would feel lethargic. I would feel run down, and this girl is like, you know, a block ahead of me on her mountain bike if we were riding bikes that weekend or whatever, and I just didn't feel like myself. It sucked, and everyone in your life just expected you to flip a switch with regular hours on the weekend and then transition back to the graveyard on Sunday night, super super hard. I have a lot of respect for everybody that does the third shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not easy. The worst was when I did the weekend overnights Friday and Saturday. And after I did weekend overnights probably for six, seven, eight years something like that pretty consistently, and people stop inviting you to parties. They no longer because they know you won't go because most Friday parties are on Friday or Saturday, like, well, he's working, so we won't even invite him. Not that I would probably go anyway, but they stopped inviting. You had dating the Nightmare because of that schedule. And then I had a website where I was working during the week. So I was doing my website, my gossip site, aggregating gossip during the week, and then on the weekends doing the radio stuff. And I was filling in all over the place. There's a big Nightmare next up on the But thank you Pete the Machine, it's next up alf the unofficial official show historian. He says, Ben, I don't know what the ocean waters are like in California, but you know what you're into. But do you know what you're into when you hit the main coast this summer, he says, be prepared to have some blue balls. Oh, it was a lot. I was holding ball, touching balls, you name it. I had a lot of balls. And here's a fun fact for your privates. And he's got a graph here, Danny, you can't see. It's got the water temperature off the coast different places in Maine. So First of all, Alf, we are tentatively planning on Maine. That is not confirmed, though you know, the water in California is probably right now, it's about in the low sixties. I would say off the coast of californ which is what it is in the summer, the hottest part of the main.
Speaker 3: But then again, Ben, if you were traveling to Maine, I don't think your number one thing on your agenda would be to go run into the water.
Speaker 1: You don't think I would do a cannon ball from the pier or into the water in the Atlantic, No, I would not.
Speaker 3: I don't see that. No, you're the dude on the beach with the tent.
Speaker 1: I am in the tent. Yeah, not pitching a tent. Well, I think to get the tent. Yeah. But anyway, here's the other problem. An unpopular opinion. Danny having spent time on the beach on the East Coast of America and the West coast West Coast all day, the beaches on the West coast much better than the beaches on the East coast, And some people say, well what about Florida. Yeah, but I just like to hole the sunset on the West coast. Awesome, It's right over the water.
Speaker 3: You're looking really cool. It's just a beautiful it's.
Speaker 1: Just wonderful, marvelous, marvelous, marvel marvelous, marvelous marvels.
Speaker 3: The sun sinks into the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really cool. But thank you Alf for that uplifting message. I appreciate it, and I'll keep you guys posted. As of now, there is no plane ticket purchase, there is no hotel booked, and we'll see what happens with that, with the old finances the Mala Mansion, Mike in Fullerton writes, and he says, how to Ben and Danny g it's birthday season. So I'm going to ask what you did? What was your favorite birthday party? Right? What you guys do with your kids. My favorite as a kid was me and a bunch of friends at the long since bankrupt Discovery Zone. My favorite as an adult was at a similar place that is still around, according to Mike in Fullerton, and he of course included as Alf did, he had a graph and there's also a photo here that Mike included, which is it's good to know that you love whether there's the Discovery Zone there, there's is that you and the photos Mike. I don't know if that's you in there Discovery Zone. There is a Discovery Music Science Center, which I don't think is the same thing, but that's that's a thing in Orange County. I think it's one in La also, but thank you think you might. I love Chuck E Cheese. I was a kid that was not that old. When I was a kid, Chuck E Cheese that was like a big that was a big deal. There was a ripoff of Chuck E Cheese called Bullwinkles, which I thought was kind of cool. That was fun like that. I'm of the age when we were little kids. McDonald started the playgrounds. Just going there you felt like you were like a big shot because you were hanging out with Ronald McDonald and you had the ball pit, which was always disgusting. Any great birthday locations, Danny from back in the day.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I don't want anybody sympathy, but you know this from you know, because we've known each other for a long time. I for a portion of my childhood my mom was single, bouncing around. We didn't have a place to stay for a while. It was not good times as a little kid. For a lot of the years. So like Biggie rapped, birthdays was the worst days. Now we sip champagne when we Thursday. So yeah, birthdays weren't really a thing, Ben, You.
Speaker 1: Did not celebrate the birthdays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, just like Biggie. And you know, my very first official birthday party was when I was in my early twenties and a radio station held it. They did a surprise birthday party and it turned out this is in Ventura, California, but this should have been an Oxnard, California because it was like a cholo party. Every single gift I unwrapped was something Raiders, al Raighties.
Speaker 1: And you have a very similar closet to Roberto, where in my head there's one side that is Raiders. It's it's like a triangle. You've got one side Raiders, one side Lakers, and then the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: There's also the Hawaii section though, Okay, like I got Hawaii hats, I have not Hawaiian shirts, but shirts from Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't have that. I have like a fair amount of a Clipper random shirts, but most I don't have too many teams, teams, a lot, a lot of hats, a lot of hats I've got that.
Speaker 3: You do have some Dodgers.
Speaker 1: I do have a fair amount of Dodger I have like every Dodger hat possible. I've got that. A few Dodger shirts, a couple of Clipper shirts, a couple of Ram shirts, but not not too much.
Speaker 3: Well, good news for you, Ben. I was at Target the other day Clipper shirts half off again.
Speaker 1: Oh look at you. Very funny there, what is still wrong with the Clippers? Very funny. Another class Laker historian. I saw my man, Ralph Lawler, who's retired. I was friends with Ralph when he was a Clipper broadcaster, and I used to listen to him when I was a kid, which.
Speaker 3: Is very weird. I like that guy.
Speaker 1: So Ralph is retired. So he he was living part of the year in Florida, part of the year in Oregon. I guess he sold his house in Florida and moved to Oregon full time. So whatever, he's an Oregon And he said he was consolidating items in his house and he found all these old T shirts. Ironically enough, we were just talking about T shirts, and they are all these old Clipper shirts, you know, and they're they're cool things, vintage shirts. From back in the eighties and the nineties and all the way up to Lob City and the Blake Griffin and all that, and so it's just a harmless post and he's doing his thing whatever. And then some guy posts, I don't see any NBA championship shirts. What do you think that was, Danny? You think that was a Clipper fan or a Laker history orient Who do you think that was?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I know some bitter Clipper fans.
Speaker 1: That a classless, scumbag, loser, Laker historian. And another reason all the NBA cheers against the Lakers the most in the NBA. And Ralph Wahler came back and buried this guy. He said, what's your point? He said, I would not look back at my career anymore fondly if my collection of shirts included multiple championship shirts. I loved the game and I enjoy it. I enjoyed every second of my forty years with the Clippers.
Speaker 3: That's why he's lying to himself. If he says a title during his career wouldn't have mattered, Come on.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter, it doesn't I don't think it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter unless you're making money off it or something like that. Doesn't matter, all right, Moving on, David writes in from Jersey. I thought I think he's in Israel now, he says, mal or Danny g I have heard you mentioned in the past that you have some really valuable sports trading cards, specifically Michael Jordan rookie cards that you have had over the years. I have also heard you say that you're in the process, or say you said the process of authentication. Often what's the word? I even said so early in the morning here, what is awesome to get verified, valid whatever? You know what I mean, it's quite pricey. So I was wondering whatever happened to them? Did you sell them? I would love to know how much? If you don't mind saying, so, did you authenticate? I can't say the word, did you verify, validate them? Whatever? Or do you still have them? Anyway? I still enjoy authenticate, authenticate. There you go get authenticate, authentic, authentic, authenticate to infinity and beyond authenticate. Do you do I really enjoy he says, enjoys the show? And well, thank you David, and I not heard from you in a while, so thank you. I know you and your brother Both were callers at one point to the show. So A, I still have the collection. B it is collecting dust in the garage at the Malor Mansion. And see, I still have on my list a plan to get rid of them. I'm actually talking to my colleague Mike Harmon on Fox Sports Radio with Jason Smith. Mike is very into the sports memorabilia world. He knows some people, he's got some ideas. He knows what to keep and what to get rid of. So I might have to bring mister Harmon to the Malor Mansion to get him like cheese, steak and burgers and things like that and uh and kind of play it that way and kind of have him as my my advisor, my think tank. So they're all still there. I haven't touched I haven't touched any of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Harmon is a card show nerd. No, he is.
Speaker 1: He's totally into it, like that's it. That's his world, man. He's all all about it, like he's buying stuff, stuff, like he's really invested. Next up on the mail bag, who do we have here, Big Greg in Iowa? Right, So he says, dear Ben and Danny g Since it has been over a week after your new studio has opened. Truthfully, how many of the chairs in the main studio have you sat in? Taking off everything except you're tidy white? He's been, he says the answer. What do you think, Danny seven eight nine chairs? How many do you think I've sat in there?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 1: Yeah, one, exactly one. That's it. I don't have to please, and I would sit elsewhere, but I was told I have to sit in a certain place because they record for the internet channels. They record the monologue, so I was not allowed to sit in random places.
Speaker 3: And they told you to stop sweating profusely like Patrick ewing hat trick.
Speaker 1: Well, I did the first monologue I did in there, I had the flop sweat going. We told the story on the podcast, but that's because some a hole, I think Jason Smith had turned the heater up and it was like eighty degrees in there, and I'm in there doing the show and I'm sweating because all these lights are on and I'm like, what are we doing? This is terrible, he says Danny G. Also, this is from Big Greg. Danny G. Have you caught your breath from having to run a marathon? Taking notes to Covino and Rich. Serious question, and I'm not sure if it has been asked, but what's your favorite thing to make on the Blackstone? That is from Big Greg? There you go, well, Big Greg, I actually said this a few seconds ago. But the quality of the cheese steak sandwich. I've been to Philadelphia, I've had authentic cheese steak. I will put my cheese steaks in against any of the cheese steak sandwiches that I've had in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Oh, those are some strong words.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, man, these things are amazing and the only the main reason I've been able to do it. I would not be possible without the Blackstone griddle, which I love. It's one of the coolest things. I'm sounding like a total middle aged human being here. If you had flashed back and gone in the hot tup time machine to when I was a kid, and you had told me, Ben, someday you'll be you know, X number of years old and you'll be celebrating a griddle, I would have told you to go pound sand is what I would have told you. But here we are, and that, Danny, I believe, is called life. That right there is life, and I wish my mom had lived a little longer because I didn't really get into cooking until she had unfortunately checked out. But she was wonderful in the kitchen, and so maybe some weird genetic thing passed on where I've kind of picked it up. They My wife's taught me a lot of stuff too, so she's very good cooking and whatnot. So but I love the griddles, wonderful. And Danny, now that you've got a bun in the oven there, and you know, you might need to buy a blackstone and learn how to cook.
Speaker 3: No, you're not wrong. We have a balcony and I've been talking to my girl about buying a nice barbecue grill for the summer because it's about time to fire up some steaks and hot dogs.
Speaker 1: Now, what kind of what are we looking at? Here? Are you? Are you gonna do like charcoal? You're gonna do gas? Like? What's the plan?
Speaker 3: See? I gotta figure that out. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now. I like cooking with gas because it's it's more efficient, but that some people love the taste. If you're barbecuing a lot of stuff, you might like the charcoal. It really it's about preference, and there are charcoal snobs that spat Loogi's at you. If you say you like cooking with gas?
Speaker 3: What about the woodchip snobs?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you could do that. So that's another I.
Speaker 3: Got some woodchips, love eh, I.
Speaker 1: Got a smoker. Well you should get a smoker like I have. Okay, you none need a brag. Fred in Spring, Texas, Right so, and says hi, guys, Ben, you always talk about the overnight shift is the bottom of the barrel? Is that really true? In what do you aspire to be? I love what I do for a living, Fred, But in the radio business there's the halves and the have nots, and it's pretty much divided up in radio. Between six am and six pm, you're really cool, You're important, you matter. You get to go to the Super Bowl every year and different events and boxing matches and NBA finals and World Series and things like that. You're important. And then if you're on from six pm to six am, you are like mushrooms that grow at the bottom of the sewer. And that's just the way it is. I mean, you're just treated that way. You're a second class citizen. I get it. I've done it a long time. I've done overnight's my entire career. I just wish the shift was respected more because we're actually on more affiliates than the daytime shows are. Obviously the audience is a little smaller because most people are sleeping and all that. But no, I've always wanted to be in radio. My dream was a little kid to be in radio. So I'm very happy to do what I do. I love doing the podcast. I'm sure at some point we'll just do the podcast, we won't do the radio anymore, and we'll just focus on the podcast. But there's all the things I'd like to do. I'd like to get back and try television again. That would be fun. Maybe start my website up again and see if I can generate some revenue. It's somewhat frustrating when I think back when I started my website. My rivals contemporaries were Mike Florio, he had a website before Football Talk, and there was a site called dead Spin that is still around but it's been changed ownership. And there was a one of my friends who was a very well known NBA reporter for ESPN. He told me, he said, Malord, you cost yourself millions by closing your website before you did you know what I he's probably not wrong.
Speaker 3: He's probably what year did you stop?
Speaker 1: It was probably about thirteen, maybe four, I don't know, ten to thirteen years ago, something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so you probably would have had to hold on for like five extra years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you know. I got some radio stuff and I just didn't have enough time for everything, so I had to let it go. But yeah, if I had held on, man, oh jeez. Oh so so close, but so far Ozzie was, writes in on the mailbag. He says, my mate's Big Man and Daddy G Radio. I A'm sorry. I have not been able to contribute the last couple of weeks. Been super busy. He's in Western Australia. Download the podcast and listen while working. So here we go. He said, you had your big board of memorable moments in the old FSR studio, So what was your most embarrassing moment that happened in the old FSR studio? So any embarrassing. We've had a few things that have happened. I think on the show. It was All Star weekend. The All Star Game was in Denver and they booked a guest and I forget. I forget who they said it was, but I just remember who it actually was. They said it was somebody else, so I interviewed the person. I introduced the person asked a question because I was told it was one person, and it was actually Clyde Drexler was not I thought I was talking to somebody else, but it was. It was kind of embarrassing because he's a Hall of Fame basketball player.
Speaker 3: I would say, and you're gonna laugh when you remember this too. When I trained Roberto to go into my shoes in your show, what did he do for the segment? How did he try to replace Tinderoni tips?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, what a freaking nightmare. But we look back on it with hilarity because I wish we had a recording of it. Ben talk about a train wreck that killed one hundred passengers. Roberto got it in his head that, well, I'll do Tinderoni tips, but for married people, is it weler? It might have been the worst five minutes of radio on the network's history.
Speaker 1: It's a bull strategy, it really is. I will give Roberto credit. He was thinking outside the box, which was actually it's weird because it was in the box. Because he was copying what you were doing, but he added his own twist to it, so it was outside the box.
Speaker 3: So I immediately jumped in and had a powwow with him, and I helped him come up with that segment where I had the voting for the drop of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We did that for a while. Then he had weather with Roberto, which was fun. We did that, and he's done cooking with Roberto, so he's changed his yeah segment.
Speaker 3: If you've been around long enough to remember the very first week Roberto took over for me in that shift, God, that was funny. Even Roberto makes fun of it to this day. He's like, I don't know what I was thinking. He's like, that was so bad. It just was. It was great. It was great radio, like for the all wrong reasons. But it turned out to be a funny, embarrassing moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that Ozziwaz brings this up. The other one I remember. Although it wasn't really embarrassing for me, it was embarrassing. It was embarrassing for the network, is what it was. So there was this older gentleman who had mostly worked in television who got hired as a board op an engineer, board operator, technical engineer, producer.
Speaker 3: Whatever you call.
Speaker 1: It was like his first weekend. And so when I did the weekend overnight show, they always broken the new board ops with me. They figured, oh, who cares if you blow, You're on Mallard's show, it doesn't matter. And I was fine because I got I became friendly with all the board ops. So when i'd fill in, like they'd moved to different shows, and I was like, I knew everybody, and so that was kind of neat. But let's just say this guy did not grasp the necessary responsibilities to run the board. And you're in charge. You're really in charge of piloting the entire operation, all the drops, all the songs, the ins and outs, the commercials. You're in charge of hitting right, but in the tones, everything.
Speaker 3: The timing, all the affiliates, everything.
Speaker 1: And if you don't know what you're doing, or if you're not confident, it becomes problematic. So I'm doing the show and I could tell this guy's drowning, you know, and there's no one there and he's on his own, and he's having issues with profit the system that we use, and so it's like it's like almost two o'clock in the morning, and I've still got a couple hours to go, because at that point I did a.
Speaker 3: Five hour did five hours.
Speaker 1: I did five hours, so I had several hours to take and so this I'm closing out the hour. I lock out for the hour, and I'll never forget the look on the face of the board up. He has the look of like he's seen a ghost. He hits the talk back button. He says, just keep going, just just keep going. Oh no, and he somehow he said the computer he hit the wrong button. Thing froze. So we just swept the top of the hour, which you're never supposed to do on a network radio show because affiliates dropped the show. Show at the top of the hour, you fired. And so he's like, just keep going, keep going. So we had no update. The update guy, I was like, what's going on? I don't understand what that is. That was awkward, that was uncomfortable. What else do we have in the middle back I did want to say, and these are not I don't think they wanted these red on the air. But Angelina, she is very happy that the location we picked for the Mallard meet and greet, and she says it's very good for those of us who are living living just across the Minnesota border in Wisconsin as well. She's looking forward to it, and also Jennifer, our friend in Richmond, Jennifer in Virginia. There, she's said, unfortunately she's not going to make it, but she is trying to convince her son and his friends to go hang out with us, so on her behalf.
Speaker 3: So what's up, Jennifer. Yeah, I'm still I'm in I'm in the same boat as Jen. I'm waiting for Iheart's reply. They were supposed to pay for my ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I don't know why they wouldn't do that. I mean, as you know, the company has been very generous here. They're very supportive. They've covered I actually bought a plane ticket, but the company said, you know what, Ben, we're making a lot of money, so we're gonna we're gonna reimburse you for your plane ticket and your time. We're gonna give you some money for meals. We're gonna treat you like a first class is and we're going to take care of you. Also, we're gonna upgrade your hotel. We're gonna you know, President's Suite no problem on.
Speaker 3: The nice, real nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They didn't have to do that, you know, and most people say, oh, they never do that, but they did, and I really appreciate that's very kind of them to do that. They really did not have to do that.
Speaker 3: I feel like they're going to buy you a couple of juicy Lucy's too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure. I'm sure they had some cheese curds to be named later. Kevin in Kansas, right since, says dear Ben, can you provide an update on your found laundry cart. Is it still in service or have you repurposed it into something else like a lawn ornament? Have you found any other interesting items in your new territory? You and Danny g rule the weekends. So A, I still have the laundry cart that I found on the side of the road during COVID A. I'm talking. This is like a laundry maat quality laundry cart, probably fum an actual laundromat that somebody stole and tossed on the side of the road, and I happen to walk by it and find it. So I still have it. It is not currently in service. It's what do they call it's on dry dock. Remember I take a ship and they put it on dry dock. It's on dry dock right now, Kevin and I don't know what the plan is for it. It likely will not be used where I live now. There's really no need for it because of the layout on the house, so unlikely that we're gonna need it. So, Danny, you know what, if you would like a nice laundry cart, you are more than welcome. I can, I can get it to you. You can come pick it up, knock yourself up.
Speaker 3: It's a great offer. But like I mentioned on yesterday's podcast, I'm already trying to get this out of the garage. Baby's taking over.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: The baby thinks it's his cave. He's not even here yet. Get the hell out of my garage.
Speaker 1: The boss baby, Man, it's the boss baby, That's what it is right there.
Speaker 3: Daddy, As my grandpa used to say, my mom's name is Cynthia. He'd yell whenever we'd be visiting him. He'd say, Cynthia, get your goddamn kids out of my garage.
Speaker 1: That's great, I bet you. Your grandfather was like my grandpa. My Grandma's Yiddish for he's spoke Yiddish at the house and all that, but he's the same way, very no beating around the bush, just yell at, screaming, no decorum.
Speaker 3: Just none of that. The only time he'd let us in his garage, he'd unscrew this jar that had quarters in it and he'd say, are you doing good in school? And we'd be like yeah, and he'd give us two quarters and he'd say, now get the hell out of my garage.
Speaker 1: Nice, very nice, and fifty cents. I'm gone fond memories. And someday your little kid likely will grow up there and then you'll be that guy and you'll be like, screw you. I've got my own radio station. They'll say, what is radio? What is that you have radio? Stay? Yes, I have my own radio station. How dare you? Gary writes him from Parts on. He says, guys, what is your favorite sports memory as a kid. My favorite memory as a kid is the Carlton Fisk home run in Game six of the nineteen seventy five World Series against the Reds. Yes, so I remember the you know, the Gibson home run in eighty eight. I was a little kid watching the Mets and the Red Sox World Series, and I remember the watching the game. Well, that whole postseason was crazy because the Mets and Astros had a wild NLCS game that went extra innings. The Angels in Red Sox had the Dave Henderson Don Baylor home run in game I think it was Game five, Game six, so that American League Championship Series, I think it was Game six, and then they went back to Boston for Game seven and the Angels lost, I believe, so I remember that. Those are some of the things I recall. Those are the two sports memories. Watch some Super Bowls. I remember the Broncos were playing the Giants in a Super Bowl in Pasadena and my mom took me out to the super Bowl site to get shirts. They were like dirt cheap. The NFL didn't rape people back then for shirts. You know, you could get shirts for a reasonable price and all they didn't mark up everything like they do. You know these days, What about you, Dan, any anything that stands out there.
Speaker 3: The biggest memory from the World Series is watching or I was about to watch the A's and the Giants. Oh the Bay Bridge, and you know what happened. My family was in Northern California, not far from the San Francisco Bay area at the time. To see the TV kind of go off and then the earthquake. My entire childhood, I never saw my mom panic no matter what was going on, no matter what challenges we might have faced. She was a really cool, like calm late But in this instance, the way the earth was rocking, you couldn't even stand up, So everybody's falling down. As bad as you can imagine an earthquake, that's how bad this one was. We go to the backyard and is real and she's saying, oh my God, Oh my God, is this gonna stop? And she's like praying out loud Ben And that scared the shit out of me because if she's praying to God out loud because she thinks we're gonna die, I thought we were gonna die. So you can imagine all those poor people that were trapped on those freeways and those buildings that all collapsed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the the A's that was the World Series that they won in that era, with all those great players, that was the only one they they want. I'll never forget the video of the freeway that collapsed there.
Speaker 3: That was mimutes Yeah, that was crazy, and what sucks for a's in their history. They didn't even get to celebrate that World series. It was just a very subdue high five celebrate, you know what I mean. It wasn't your normal celebrating of a world series victory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like well kind of with the COVID they had that a couple of years ago, but it was obviously much a different situation. But you couldn't really celebrate good times. See any other you got a few quick ones. We'll get get out on these. Let's see here been page down, page down. Uh. David, our buddy in winter Park, Florida with Roscoe of the parents, says, what is your favorite ice cream? Favorite ice cream? I'll go first. I like my Big my Big three. Not necessarily disorder cookie dough, mint chip strawberry Danny.
Speaker 3: Cookie dough is gross.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not.
Speaker 3: How dare you gross?
Speaker 1: No, it's not bad. Take by you, Danny. That's god.
Speaker 3: There's only one ice cream and one ice cream only walking road rules.
Speaker 1: Ben too much stuff going on. You know, the marshmallow here and there's something over there. You don't need that.
Speaker 3: No perfect combination.
Speaker 1: Rocky Road ice cream is the ranch dressing of of that it is. No, it's like this, throw a bunch of crap in the ice cream where people will buy it, like ranch dressing. We got some rotting stuff, we'll put it out here, people will drink it.
Speaker 3: And you know what ice cream is? Gross? Pistachio. What little kid in his right mind was like, pistachio. Get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: Oh that's for grown ups though. That so I didn't realize this. I thought this would be a quick question. But that's all. That's an amazing question, all right. I think we're thanks to Shelley from Minnesota, John and parts unknown and another listener who did not leave their name, so who they all knows. We'll get out on that. I will be back tonight from the Mothership, Maine Studio, the new improved FSR Studios beyond a seven o'clock in the West, Sunday night, two am in the East, Monday morning till six am all night long. A lot of NBA playoff reaction and anything else that has popped up here over the weekend, Danny, anything you want to promote here.
Speaker 3: I will be back on the airwaves with Coveno and Rich tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the Coveno and Rich show.
Speaker 3: That's Monday two to four pm on the West five to seven New York Time beautiful.
Speaker 1: So have a wonderful rest of your weekend. We thank you so much, you're my favorite person for downloading this podcast and we will talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Austa Pasta gotta murder. I gotta go.