Speaker 1: What up, bright Side besties, Hello Sunshine. Today on the bright Side, we're closing out National Poetry Months with poet Laureate Ada Lemon, and we're talking all about awe and wonder. It's Friday, April twenty sixth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 2: And it's a girl simone. Boys, this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Okay, Simone. We always save our chit chat for on air, So I don't even know what's going on in your life? What's going on?
Speaker 2: So? I was hanging out with my mom yesterday and she was like, so I listened to a few of the recently.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh no, no, no, no, it was all good. She's like, it's really good.
Speaker 2: She was like, so you and Danielle have like a really great rapport and I was like yeah, and she's like, is that real?
Speaker 3: This is one of our most asked questions.
Speaker 1: Everybody asked me that too. All my friends are like, you guys sound like you really like each other?
Speaker 3: Do you really like her? I know, I'm like, should I not like her? At this point?
Speaker 2: I don't get it. Yes, it's real, Yes we are really friends.
Speaker 1: Should we stage a fake fight?
Speaker 2: I honestly think maybe we should just for publicity.
Speaker 1: I think so too. Let's get into the drums. Okay, I actually need your advice on something before we jump in.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm honored that you're asking me for advice.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna put myself on blast.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I got a text from my ex boyfriend like two days ago.
Speaker 3: Is this the one that I know about?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: The one before?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I have less context on him, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: He was a bad man and he texted me and said, hey, do you want to grab a coffee or a meal? And I've told him in the past to please stop contacting me. Do I block him now?
Speaker 3: Number one? Do you want to meet with him?
Speaker 1: Nah? Actually, I'm gonna say, hell nah?
Speaker 2: Do you want to have any contact with him whatsoever?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, I don't. Then yeah, block, just block blocked?
Speaker 1: You know that?
Speaker 2: Black.
Speaker 1: I wish I could have like a voice note of you saying that if he texted.
Speaker 2: Me, I'll just text it to him from my random three oh five number.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I feel like you could just give him a line that's like, hey, I don't really want to be in touch, but.
Speaker 1: I already did that.
Speaker 3: You already did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, black, I think maybe we should get into the show.
Speaker 3: Maybe we should move on.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when I say the term gorpcore, what does that mean to you, Danielle, what comes to mind?
Speaker 1: I think, uh, gore texts, So I think like lots of police strings and crisscross stuff.
Speaker 2: Hot hot, You're very hot, nor face. Yes, yes, that is exactly what gorpcore is. I'm super into gorpcore, always have been. I've been doing it before it was cool, before it was gorpcore. But it's basically the next evolution of ath leisure where what Yeah, it's it's the outdoors y aesthetic like you said the Arii, the north Face, the Patagucci, but people are wearing it as street wear.
Speaker 1: So did you just say Padagucci?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Padagucci, like the.
Speaker 1: Gucci, Patagonias or collab.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No, it's just like, in like our world, in like the outdoorsy girl world, we say Padagucci.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. It's like when people.
Speaker 2: Say tarje Oh, oh gotcha. You know, it's just a fun little thing that we do.
Speaker 1: I'm so on the outside of this world.
Speaker 2: So, actually, uh, Belahedide, Kendall Jenner have been wearing this style lately, but of course it's been around forever.
Speaker 3: It's all over TikTok. That's really where it's blowing up.
Speaker 2: You know why I love this trend because it's not about putting on this artificial layer of beauty, right, It's about stripping it all away. It's not about wearing a ton of makeup. It's about coming as you are in comfortable, functional clothing.
Speaker 1: You're wearing cargo capris today, are those gorp Core?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I leaned into the gorp cord today. I also have this really crinkly jacket.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's yellow puffer by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so do you already own this stuff and you used to wear it camping and now you're just wearing it on the outside world? Or do people buy gorpcore to walk around in the world.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, you know how people were wearing Lululemon pants everywhere.
Speaker 3: I think Danielle is wearing Lululemon.
Speaker 2: See, this is just like this is this is ath leisure adjacent, you know, so choogee, we're all chewgy girl. But the other layer to this for me is that gorpcore is more than just like a silly fashion trend. It's a lifestyle. It means you're always dressed for adventure or nature therapy. And you know what's really cool. Since the pandemic, there have been a rise in communities focused on bringing women and women of color together outdoors. So one that comes to mind is called Hike Clerb. They host hike group hikes and activities. Another one clurb It's Cute Right Outdoor Afro, which is all about reconnecting black folks to the land through fishing kayaking. So I think that's beautiful, and I also think about my own community. I mean, I have a gaggle of GORP girls that I go camping with. Some of my best memories are with them in the wilderness in Canada or the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 1: The ggg's the GGG Gaggle of GORP Girls.
Speaker 3: It's the triple G. Hmmm, I'm all about the GORP core lifestyle.
Speaker 1: You are really bringing something new to my life. I had no idea that gorpecore existed. I don't know if I'm interested.
Speaker 3: To be quite.
Speaker 2: Honest, don't speak too soon, because I have brought you actually my favorite GORP recipe. So GORP stands for good old raisins and peanuts. It's essentially trail mix. But I have what I think is the best recipe for gorp.
Speaker 1: You've given me so many gifts this week, it's not really a good Wait. Is there Captain Crunch in there? Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, so here I love Captain Crunch.
Speaker 2: Here is the recipe for the best gorp in the world. It is Captain Crunch, almonds, crasins, and reci's pieces.
Speaker 1: Can I have some?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but make sure that you get one of the bite.
Speaker 1: This is freaking delicious. I want to curse, right, God, it's it's This is better than puppy chow.
Speaker 3: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: I think we have to end the show because we're eating I know, right, Okay, So you are a gorpe girl living your most authentic life. Yes, This article from Glamour by Sophia Bush really had me feeling away because she's truly living her authentic life now. One year after a picture perfect wedding turned very public divorce, Sophia Bush found herself in a new relationship with a woman, and it was with famed soccer star Ashlyn Harris, and the internet went wild. Of course, there were rumors because Ashland was married and had kids with her ex wife, who was also a famous soccer player, and Sophia Bush has not spoken out about it until now. She wrote an essay for Glas in her own words, addressing everything for the first time. And the reason I'm bringing this up is I thought it was really moving. She mentions joy four times in the article. She said she's been chasing joy and has made a few decisions like doing a play in London last year, thinking it would jumpstart this joy. You know how we do that when we're not happy. We try all these things to jumpstart the joy, and unfortunately it's just an inside job. And she wrote, I have real joy. It took me forty one years to get here. I feel like I can finally breathe.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I think women just want to exhale. We hold so much in We hold guilt, shame, past hurts, betrayals, lost, divorce, like feelings of all of our family, our parents, our kids, and we just want to feel like we can breathe. There's been so much judgment around her relationship and how she chose to live her life. That just made me happy to read that she was exhaling. I think we all want permission to exhale.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people are going through this internally or in a quiet way, right like getting to their true self and living out their truest life and identity. But she had to do it in such a public forum, and from the outside looking in, it got messy, and so I can only imagine how hard that was to both be feeling like you're living alive for so long and then have to get into this new relationship and have everyone comment on it and weigh in. So does feel like she's exhaling right now.
Speaker 1: I like that you use the word messy because I think we all look at the mess in life and it scares us. But when we think about books or films or things that we gravitate towards, a lot of it oftentimes is the mess of life because we're all looking for that permission to live in our mess too. And so I like that she threw away the rules. She's just living in the mess.
Speaker 3: We got to live in the mess. It's the only way to live.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are not going to stage a fake fight at least right now, but there is a celebrity that did stage of fake scenario that we have to get into before break because last spring, when there were rumors that Sidney Sweeney was secretly dating her anyone but you co star Glenn Powell. Oh, I remember this, You remember this? Everyone believed it. It was super scandalous because she was and still is very much engaged and he had recently broken up with his long term girlfriend. And despite all that, they were spotted going to the zoo with his family, holding hands, lovingly looking into each other's eyes on the red carpet Internet. Sluice also noticed that Sidney wasn't wearing her engagement ring at the time, and we all fell for it. We thought it was real. But in an interview with The New York Times, Sidney Sweeney admitted that she and Glenn leaned into the affairs and the rumors to promote the film. Sidney and her fiance were producers on the film, and so they were like financially invested in its success, and they were like, let's do what we gotta do.
Speaker 2: That is a supportive fiance, right there, someone who is going to let their partner lean into the chemistry with their costar on the Today Show, on all these public outings. I mean, both of them are very comfortable in their relationship. But this makes me think about all the times when celebrities have been in relationships that were actually pr stunts.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing about twenty twenty four. I feel like the veil is being lifted. We used to believe all of this, like growing up with tabloids and you know, I used to work in entertainment news, and I was like, I saw the behind the scenes where there's smoke, there's usually fire like et and extra and either not making things up. They have multiple sources. So I used to believe all this stuff. But now celebrities are in on it. They know how to work the system also in terms of fake relationships. So I did a little deep dive. Nick Lache went on one date with Kim Kardashian back in two thousand and six, and then later on he went on Watch What Happens Live and he said that he thinks now looking back, that she leveraged that whole thing publicity. Duh, She's masterful.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And then also Rachel Bilson and that guy Nick Faiel from The Bachelor. Okay, so they apparently went on a date too, back in twenty nineteen, and then Rachel admitted on his podcast that they just did it for the internet for attention. She said, we were messing around, not with each other, but with the Internet. So this happens way more than we think.
Speaker 1: I think we forget it's the entertainment business. Yeah, that business, and.
Speaker 2: A lot of times both of these people are profiting off of the attention in some way. Yeah, Danielle, Any any gorp tastic plans for the weekend? What's the opposite of GORP? What happens if you stay in your apartment all wee get bed rot? No, I'm interviewing Chaz Ebert, who was Roger Ebert's wife, and I'm from Chicago, so I'm excited for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I turned down a bachelorette party classic, so won't be going to that.
Speaker 3: Were they offended?
Speaker 1: I know they love me and I love them, and they know I'm just gonna take them to dinner instead. And I really need new workout clothes. I am committed on Sunday to trying to find some new workout clothes. I feel like all of mine are from twenty twenty one and it's just not looking good at the gym.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, Oh mine are ratty af.
Speaker 1: What are you doing. Who cares about my pants, my expandex.
Speaker 2: This is a weekend where I think I have no plans, which is very exciting, But.
Speaker 1: I want to make a prediction. I think you're going to end up being really busy.
Speaker 2: I hope not. No, I don't have any plans. The books are clear for this weekend.
Speaker 1: Awesome, you're gonna jump in the pool?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Not cuddle with Michael? What you don't do that?
Speaker 2: I cuddle, but I I need to clear up some misinformation. I do cuddle, but I don't what you said something you were like, I want to like be next to you every moment of the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My definition of love is like you don't want to go to the grocery store because you don't want to get up off the couch as you love that person so much. Simone's looking at me with terror in her eyes? Is that codependency?
Speaker 2: I think that sounds unhealthy to me. I'm not an expert, but you do you you know, if anyone out there agrees with.
Speaker 1: Me, let me know.
Speaker 2: After the break, we're bringing poetry off the shelf and into the wild with poet Laureate Ada Lemone. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 2: April is National Poetry Month, and our next guest has been lighting up the literary world with her poetry for nearly two decades.
Speaker 1: Ada Le Moon is the twenty fourth Poet Laureate of the United States, the recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship, and one of Time's twenty twenty four Women of the Year. If that's not cool enough, later this year, NASA is sending one of her poems all the way to Jupiter.
Speaker 2: Danielle, you know it's fitting because AIDA's poetry explores the awe inspiring beauty and power of nature and our complex relationship with it in today's world. We often talk about on this show how simply going outside, getting your photosynthesis on, and even touching grass just helps us find joy.
Speaker 1: Yep, And we asked Ada on the show to talk about finding meaning and purpose in the wilderness and about her signature project bringing poetry to national parks across the country. Ada, thank you so much for joining us on the bright side.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Ada, You have achieved the highest honors in your field. One of your poems is actually going to space.
Speaker 3: So cool.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. But also I don't think very many people grow up thinking, yeah, I'm going to be a poet and think that it's a viable career path. How did you get into this field?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for that question.
Speaker 5: I will say that I knew I always wanted to be in a creative field.
Speaker 4: In some way.
Speaker 5: In fact, I think it was a joke in my family that Ada was going to be a dancing, singing.
Speaker 4: Doctor, lawyer, writer.
Speaker 5: It wasn't really until I was in high school that I discovered poetry in earnest and really fell in love with it. And then I had a moment when I was in undergraduate at the University of Washington and I thought I was going to be an actor. And I loved being on the stage. I loved the collaboration of the theater group, all of those things that you know made theater so beautiful. And in my junior year, I took a poetry class and I thought, oh no, I love this so much. And one of the things I loved about it as much as I love collaboration, is that you can do poetry whenever you want to do it. No one can say, oh, you know, you're not right for this, or you were you know, you get to do it whenever you want. And when I was writing, it felt like the truest form of creative freedom for me, and everything just clicked into place, and I thought, this is what I want to dedicate my life to.
Speaker 1: That's such an incredible feeling to lock in like that. Yeah, you mentioned writing. I'm curious about who you read. Who were the poets that you grew up reading that made you want to become a poet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I still remember where I was in I worked at the local bookstore, Readers Books and Sonoma, which is still there. It's an amazing independent bookstore. And at fifteen they opened and I was their first employee.
Speaker 4: And I still.
Speaker 5: Remember where I was when I was reading Lucill Clifton, Elizabeth Bishop. Those were two really you know, seminal poets for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ada, you live in Kentucky now, but before that, you spent twelve years working in magazines in New York City, And I lived in New York City for a while too, also working in media, and I can remember feeling so claustrophobic as a nature lover, just itching to get out into a wide open expanse. How did you find inspiration as a writer in New York City.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You know, it's funny because I am such a nature lover. I'm born and raised in California and a small town Sonoma and Glenellen and I really it was difficult for me at first to find a way to exist in the sheer buzz and chaos that is New York City. And I really would double down on naming and looking at trees and thinking, Okay, there are three trees on my block. This is what kind of trees they are, And I think they became so precious. And I still remember this moment when I was walking I was tempting for a magazine very early on, and there was all of these pots that were set out with greenery in them, and I remember looking at them grow and thinking, Okay.
Speaker 4: We got this.
Speaker 5: You know, you and me, You and me, plants, we got this. But I will say that when I moved out of New York City, I found myself feeling a little more grounded in terms of belonging to the natural world. And I felt like it was definitely a little bit more of a more fraught relationship when I was living in the city. Even though New York City is still my all time favorite city.
Speaker 1: I mean it's so literary, it is.
Speaker 5: And really growing up in that poetry scene in my twenties and just finding so many inspirational poets to go and listen to, and around every corner was someone talking about making art of some sort.
Speaker 2: Creative juices there are just infectious in New York City. But as we were talking about the trees I realize the way you feel about trees is the way I'm starting to feel about birds. You guys, I think I'm entering my bird watching era. Yes, I feel like it's part of just growing up. Eventually, bird watching just becomes something that you want to do.
Speaker 3: Ada is nodding.
Speaker 4: Listen. It sneaks up on you.
Speaker 3: It reallyaks up on you.
Speaker 5: I have a bird's nest right now being built on the back door in Kentucky here, and I don't want to disturb the mama, so I keep I put a big sign on the back porch that just says birds nest with an arrow, just for myself. So my husband and I said, we can remember not to open that back door so that she can have her peace. And that's what it turns into. At first, you get a feeder, then you get a VIP feeder, and then you get another feeder, and this is how it begins.
Speaker 4: So you know you're in for a beautiful ride. My friend, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I find myself wanting to learn more about you as a child. What are the core memories that come to mind in terms of how nature impacted you as a child.
Speaker 5: You know, I grew up in a rural space, and I feel like nature was all around us. All four of my parents, both my mom and my stepdad, and my father and my stepmother were all nature lovers. They were people that could look at a tree and name it and tell you a little bit about it. The same with plants and animals. So I remember my interest, even as a very young person, feeling not just the wonder of nature, but the way that it unfolds and the mystery deepens the more you know. It just sort of evolves into more and more questions about the natural world. And that was also where I felt like I belonged the most as a young person. I'm sure that you both know that there's oftentimes where you feel like, oh, humanity is not for me. And I remember there was a creek across the street from my house, and I would go to that creek and sit there in the shade and watch the very small world of that little creek and think, this is where I feel most at home. This is where I feel a sense of belonging.
Speaker 1: Has your writing always been focused on the natural world or did that happen over time?
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny because when I lived in New York City, of course, the relationship to nature was a little more bifurcated than it is now. And yet the East River is very prevalent in my early work.
Speaker 4: When I was writing in.
Speaker 5: New York City, the feral cats in Brooklyn were very prevalent. I think perhaps it's more evident now, But I do think it's always been part of my impulse to write, and it's always been part of my fascination and curiosity as a writer.
Speaker 1: Have you always found that poetry feels like the best way to capture that for you?
Speaker 2: Yes? And no.
Speaker 5: I think that poetry is my most natural language. You know, I think that's not for everyone. It's not everyone's, you know, preferred way of communicating. But for me, it leaves room for all of the different mysteries and wonders of nature, and in some ways it becomes more of a mirror, and there's no summing up. You know, in a poem there is a lot of looking and deep attention, and that attention is a way of loving. And so I think that for me makes the most sense with poetry as the preferred form.
Speaker 1: There is no summing up. I like that so much. We're always trying to sum.
Speaker 4: Up, Yeah, to our detriment.
Speaker 1: I think, has there ever been a natural phenomenon that you've tried to write about but haven't quite been able to capture in words?
Speaker 4: What a beautiful question.
Speaker 5: I've written about the wildfires in California, but I wrote about it from a distance because even though my family was all there, I was in Kentucky. If something is firsthand and it feels very intense, I have to get more distance from it. So the wildfires were one that I could write about, but only because of the distance. And I think that one of the things that I struggle with the most in terms of the natural world is, you know, the human impact. I write about it, but I struggle with it each time I do.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about AWE for a moment. It's been really cool to witness the scientific research on this topic and how it's helping us articulate the healing properties of awe in nature. What does awe mean to you?
Speaker 3: Ada?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I love that question because I do feel like a lot of people will talk about hope or resilience. You know, we use the word resilience a lot. We have to be so resilient and courage and bravery and all those beautiful words. But when I can't feel any of those things, I can still feel all. It's still the thing that I can turn on in myself, and I can get there simply by walking into the backyard. It doesn't even have to be the you know, huge expanse of the intentional nature of national parks. You know, it can be just a tree and just the bird's nest that's being built right now on the gutters. You know, I don't know there's I can experience it very accidentally, and that feels really.
Speaker 4: Special to me.
Speaker 5: So it's one of my most favorite emotions because it gets me out of myself. It reminds me that to be in wonder is to be alive.
Speaker 2: Have you noticed whenever she opens her mouth a poem just falls out. It's crazy, It's crazy. That was so beautiful when was the last time that you experienced.
Speaker 5: Ah, It was just now. I went to take my dog out right before we all met for this interview, and as I was doing so, all of these new plants have been coming up. And I just planted them in November, so they were from bulbs, and I've never planted them before. And they are these beautiful, big purple onions, and I'm watching them grow and they're so wild and gorgeous, and I just, you know, was sitting there looking at them, and I felt this sense of like how the Earth makes something is incredible to me.
Speaker 1: And I think when I do an interview, I try to show up as present and real as possible. And when I'm going through hard things in my life, it's hard for me to show up at my job the way i'd like to. And when I heard you just talk about AH, I couldn't help but think what happens when you're numb? What happens when the words aren't flowing out of you. Have you gone through periods of your life like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And I think that.
Speaker 5: More dangerous for me than sadness or sorrow or anxiety or depression is the numbness, Because I can sustain it. I can sustain a numbness for much longer than I can any of those other hard things. And so what happens to me I start to notice that I haven't seen anything. I haven't witnessed anything. I don't know if you've ever had those moments when you're going through something very difficult, maybe grief rage, and you've gone through the whole day and you're like, wait, what happened today? I don't know if I could actually go through what happened. And so for me, the way that is back, the way that I guess call myself back to myself is to notice, is to pay attention, is to look outside of the brain, to look outside of the body. Even you know, meditations will often say, oh, return to the body, return to the breath.
Speaker 4: But when you're really numb, or when you're feeling rageful, or if you're feeling super sorrowful, or maybe your body is in pain, it's not the safest place to be. And so I have to find the meditations outside of the self. And those can just be looking at leaves, looking at trees, looking at the patterns that the leaves make on the ground, and then I can think Okay, I am a human animal and there are so many of us on this planet doing our thing, and I belong to something larger. And the thing I belong to is the earth. And for now that's enough, and let's not numb out to this beauty of being alive.
Speaker 1: That reminds me so much of what Cheryl Strade said in her book Wild that being in raw, untamed nature actually made her feel safer in the world. How does being alone in nature make you feel empowered?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How do you bring the lion out or the lioness? Should? I say?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think the big part for me is that it makes me feel as if all of this has a purpose, that all of this is a way of moving forward. Right that you look and you find inspiration from what's around you. You think, oh, you know, that tree went through winter. It went through winter, it lost everything, it lost all of its leaves, it looked nearly dead, and now it's coming back again. And I think it's not just the metaphor of nature, but also the sense said, oh, right, this.
Speaker 4: Is me too.
Speaker 5: You know that I am I am nature and that as nature continues, I will also continue. And I think that's really important because I think it's very easy to think that we are only going through what we're going through and no one else has ever gone through it before. And I've been there, I've thought, oh, no one has had this kind of pain, or no one you know.
Speaker 1: Every time my heart's broken, I'm like, no one has ever felt this before.
Speaker 5: Nothing, nothing has, no one has experiences. And then of course you think, oh, wait, no everyone has. And there's power in that, even if you're not connected to others in that moment, just the recognition that others have gone through it.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about this National Parks project. It's called You Are Here. It sounds so exciting.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited about it. We're going to visit seven different National parks and we're putting in these beautiful poetic installations into these different parks, of really.
Speaker 4: Iconic, beautiful poems.
Speaker 5: And it's my way of hoping that visitors will come and look at these beautiful spaces and landscapes and then read the poem that has been paired with that place, and that that reading might deepen their experience to the natural world in that moment and might allow them to pay closer attention and be more present.
Speaker 2: Do you have a national park that has a special sweet spot in your heart.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited for all of them, but I'm definitely excited for Cape Cod. The National Seashore there has been really important to me. And then also, I mean the red Woods. I just you know, I can't wait. I cannot wait to see them again. And you know, the writer whose poem I chose to put in the red Woods is his name is Francisco X R. Lacon and he wrote in Spanish and in Nawa.
Speaker 5: And I remember not even knowing that there was a native language of Mexico, and now I know there's so many indigenous languages of Mexico, where my paternal grandfather's from. He's since passed away, Francisco X R. Lacon, but it's his poem that's going into the Redwoods, and it feels very it feels very moving to bring his words into one of the most sort of foundational natural spaces that I can think of.
Speaker 3: Redwoods are so majestic.
Speaker 2: I've spent a lot of time there camping out under the redwoods, and there's nothing quite like it. Just feeling small, I think that's part of awe too.
Speaker 5: I absolutely agree it's feeling like a part of something, but also feeling like, oh, I am nothing. Yeah, you know, And that seems like a strange thing to say, but we always center ourselves. Everything is all about us, even when we're being our most generous selves. And you get out into those redwoods or you see the ocean or whatever it is, and you think, oh, none of this is about me. I'm just a part of this. And there's peace in that, you know. I love being sort of swallowed whole by the natural world in some ways, and that idea of disappearing into the greatness of it all.
Speaker 2: As I've listened to you speak throughout this interview, I've been struck by your natural gift with language but also with performing. And I'm curious which came first. Was it your skill for poetry or performance.
Speaker 5: Ah, that's an interesting question. I think that I've always loved language first, because as much as I loved performing, when I was doing theater that was wonderful, it never felt fully like me. And so it wasn't until I found language that I could find, Oh, this is me. And I always think of it as the voice underneath the voice, right, And I always think my poetic self is the truest self, and so I think language first.
Speaker 2: What can we do to get in touch with our poetic selves? Can you leave us with a few practical tips for our bright sideties?
Speaker 3: That voice under the voice?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I have a great prompt.
Speaker 3: If you want one, I would love it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I think about, especially if you are in tune to the natural world, is to think about something in nature that you've always been interested in, you know, just curious, like whether it's in an urban space and how maybe the ivy starts to corrode bricks, or the way the drainage ditch fills up really fast when it rains, or you know whatever. It is just something and it can be beautiful, it can be interesting, it can be harmful, but something that you've always been curious about. And then ask yourself why you curious? What does it remind you about in your own life moments that relate to that image that you have that Oh right, that is why I like a wildfire. Oh that is why I relate to the desert and it's great expanse, you know. That is why when the storm comes it feels like me. And if you can start to think of those connections. You can build a poem from that, right there.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that we always end our show with thoughtful prompt So that's a beautiful one.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm so glad good.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if you can read us your poem how to Triumph Like a Girl. Yeah, of course i'd be happy to aida. We love that poem, how to Triumph Like a Girl. I like the Lady Horse's best. How they make it all look easy, like running forty miles per hour is as fun as taking a nap or grass. I like their lady horse swagger after winning. Ears up, girls, ears up. But mainly, let's be honest, I like that they're ladies, as if this big, dangerous animal is also a part of me, that's somewhere inside the delicate skin of my body. They're pumps, an eight pound female horseheart, giant with power.
Speaker 6: Heavy with blood. Don't you want to believe it? Don't you want to lift my shirt and see the huge, beating genius machine that thinks, no, it knows, it's going to come in first.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Ada, Ada, thank you, thank you you.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help it think that when you were talking about your paternal grandfather, the namely moan. You're wearing lemon. You're wearing yellow, which is our hellow sunshine color. So thank you for being so on brand.
Speaker 4: You know, I try.
Speaker 1: I try the important things.
Speaker 2: Wait, speaking of fashion, I know you're an outdoor early Ada. I have to ask you about something that we talked about earlier in the show today.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of the gorpe core fashion trend?
Speaker 5: You know, I just heard that phrase the other day, but I'm not sure if I know what it is.
Speaker 3: Well, and I just heard that.
Speaker 1: I don't get it either.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a new silly title for basically just dressing in comfortable performance clothing like you know, north Face or Patagonia. It's like what we wear hiking or you know, whenever we're outside connecting in nature. I'm a big fan of it. I wear it all the time because I like that it primes me for adventure. You know, I'm always ready for it.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I love always feeling like you can do something right. I feel like anytime, I mean, I have to wear heels, you know, I move in heels, and at the same time, I'm like, could I run on these right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Could I do this, and I'm most comfortable, I think when I'm in my in my hiking boots and really able to get around and move very freely.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's freedom. It's liberation to wear that clothing.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: And gorp.
Speaker 2: I know that term is confusing a lot of people don't know what it means, but it stands for good old raisins and peanuts. It's just another way I'm saying trail mix. So she's a gorp girl.
Speaker 5: But I will say that my disdain for reasons is so wholly deep and in my bloodstream that even when you said it, I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: I hope they're not referring to gorb with the one with.
Speaker 3: The raiss ada.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for blessing us with your presence and your poetry today.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you guys so much for having me. It was the real pleasure.
Speaker 1: It was so lovely to meet you. Same same aidaly mone Is the US poet laureate. You are here poetry in the natural World. The companion poetry anthology to her National Parks Project is available.
Speaker 2: Now. We have to take a quick break, but we'll be right back. Stay with us, Danielle. I feel like, my blood pressure is so much lower after having spoken with her, my nervous system is calm.
Speaker 3: That was just really good for my vagus nerve.
Speaker 1: She has a really calming voice and calming presence. I felt calm when she said that in poetry there's no summing up, and I am constantly trying to sum up everything, and it really reminded me that it's about the questions, not the answers all the time.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Something that stuck with me is when she said that we are fixated on these characteristics like resilience, bravery, and courage, but she said when I can't feel any of those things, I know I can always still feel AWE. That was such a great reminder that whenever you're struggling with something and you feel like I need to be resilient in this moment, I need to be brave in this moment. Instead of searching for those emotions if they're not coming up naturally, maybe you just seem to take yourself out of that current situation and seek out AWE.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's a cure. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like that. Go touch grass exactly. Go touch grass is always the answer.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna miss you, but we'll see you on Monday. On the bright Side, we're talking with the Reese's Book Club April pick Claire Lombardo. She's sharing her stories on drafting her debut novel, The Most Fun We Ever Had. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Production by Arcana Audio. Courtney Gilbert is our associate producer. Our producers are Stephanie Brown and Jessica Wank. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamat, and our senior producer is Itzy Keinthania.
Speaker 1: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruska. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by Anna Stumpf and Hamilton lighthauser.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Connell Byrne, Will Pearson and Garrett Lang.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's r O b A.
Speaker 3: Y see you, Monday fan
Speaker 2: Mhm