Speaker 1: Season four starts now. Wow, it's incredible to be announcing our fourth season of Stradio Lab, the smash hit runaway podcast that buried Michael Barbarow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, babe, I've been noticing. I've been noticing a lot of guest hosts have been filling in lately. You know, as an avid listener of the Daily haven't heard his voice in a while. I wonder why.
Speaker 1: Guess he's scared.
Speaker 2: So we're both, I would say in a here's what I actually think. I think we are both in a sort of lockdown zoom situation. I am at home, not in the room I normally recorded, because, as fans of the podcast might know, there is a nest of pigeons living in that window, and I have to wait for them to in fact grow up and fly away. And then you are in a room that is home in Michigan that is so echoey that you have to speak in a soft voice otherwise it will be too echoe So if you at I just want to say, for anyone at home, if Sam doesn't sound excited that season four starts now, that's actually literally because he's trying not to be echoe Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Not anything other than the fact that I'm just trying to be quiet because if I get too loud it sounds really echoey because I'm essentially an airport hangar.
Speaker 2: It's actually crazy. And also, by the way, you are wearing a like I want to say, like gay porn football jersey, correct, and I am wearing a zip up hoodie with no shirt.
Speaker 1: We're giving sex.
Speaker 2: It's actually crazy. Both, Like, even though we actually could not be more excited for season four to start, our affect and the way we are recording, it's almost like we've given up.
Speaker 1: No, it's that we've pivoted. Season four is all about hush tones and sexy under currents.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And by the way, the reason we're both in such a chaotics, messy bun place is because we're in the middle of tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our global tour, our international tour.
Speaker 2: Because we feel like we're more than halfway through the tour. In fact, you know, I'll address one thing, which is that normally we would have one of these episodes out because we were coming back from a break and announcing that a new season is starting. Guess what, this time, we didn't even take a break. We decided we were having so much fun recording this podcast, both remotely and in person and on stages across North America the continent, that we refuse to take a break and we're going to power through whether or not it kills us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. Oh, everyone was begging us. They said, you're on tour, like, surely you need to rest rest up, rest up? And we said, Oh, really did Steve Jobs rest up when he invented the iPhone? Oh?
Speaker 2: Really did did Steve Jobs rest up when he had to raise children? I don't think so, because I've read his daughter's memoir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he took a break for a second because he was too busy making the iPhone and maybe raising the children.
Speaker 2: I did not read the Yeah, and by the way, I didn't read it either. I just listened to a Fresh Air episode about it. So if that's not enough for you, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't have time to read Steve Jobs his daughter's no more, because I'm on tour.
Speaker 1: When did Melinda Gates rest up when she was doing her charity work around the globe?
Speaker 2: Melinda Gates has not stopped giving away money in approximately thirty five years and she certainly is not going to stop now.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The fact that when you look at her bank account somehow it gets higher and higher is not your business, quite frankly, because she's giving it away.
Speaker 1: She's giving it away. She's a good person. A good person wouldn't give away their money.
Speaker 2: She's the first person ever make money from doing charity, and no one knows how that happens. And don't ask her, because that's rude. Never ask a woman how her bank account keeps getting bigger while she's giving away all her money.
Speaker 1: I'm addicted to Bill and Melinda Gates because it's like, what do you guys even do?
Speaker 2: I like, By the way, did you know they were my commencement speakers?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait, no, they weren't. They were my boyfriends, my my ex my ex boyfriend's commencement speakers. I was Michael Bloomberg, Thank you very much. But is I did watch their big speech and it was the two of them together, so it was a real actually talk about straight culture to give a speech as a as a heterosexual couple. They were sort of like finishing each other's sentences.
Speaker 1: Finishing each other is Melinda Gates.
Speaker 2: And we finished each other's and I'm Melinda Gates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my commencement speaker was the governor I think of Virginia at the time. Oh, and he like two years later got arrested. Like it was he was like the Republican guy and it was just like so clear that he was Everyone was disappointed and it was just like okay, like and then of course he got arrested.
Speaker 2: Well, to be honest, I mean, okay, what's worse yours or Michael Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Oh good point actually, because.
Speaker 2: Actually mine is I would say, an all time flop commencement speaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty rough.
Speaker 2: My sisters with Sterling K. Brown. Isn't that fun?
Speaker 1: That is fun? You know. I think there's a certain chip on your shoulder that comes with getting a bad commencement speak agree that you hold on to forever. We is so embarrassing, but it's true because you hear about people that have like amazing guests and they're like and that it defines them. But I actually think it makes.
Speaker 2: Might have been Anderson Cooper and it was like during a sort of an exciting period where he was like very gay.
Speaker 1: Hmm. I love that. So okay, So season four starts, Now, what do you think people can expect from season.
Speaker 2: Four, George, and they expect, you know, we've already started recording. I have to say when I look at like, you know, we have a little wish list of guests you want to have. We have people that are in our back pockets. We have people that were potentially even recording with in person in Los Angeles when we go there for our tour, for which tickets are available now on link tree dot com, Slash Radio Lab. And I'm thinking, I'm like, I'm like, we are spreading our wings. Like I almost feel like we've reached the perfect balance of you know, comedy guests versus sort of out of the box guests versus indie cred guests versus mainstream cred guests versus you know, random friends of ours that frankly shouldn't be doing the podcast. What happened?
Speaker 1: No, sorry, I thought I heard the garage door opening.
Speaker 2: Oh someone's coming to your bunker. I was too echoey in here, you're under arrest.
Speaker 1: The sound quality is horrible.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the point is, I have never felt more confident. I mean it is. It does feel strange for both of us to not be raising our voice has passed a whisper but trying to sound excited.
Speaker 1: I know it's tough. You guys just have to take our word for it.
Speaker 2: You guys just have to take our word for it. And I guess the best thing we could I think one of the things we can talk about a little bit, just like for one minute, is just how much fun we've been having on this damn tour.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's been a freaking blast from sea to Shining Sea. Of course, that the second Shining Sea. I'm considering Lake Michigan, Lake Michigan because we have not actually been to the West coast yet.
Speaker 2: But we will be going to the third Shining Sea very soon. Effect I mean, you're listening to this, then it'll be a mere days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, it's been so much fun. I mean, meeting people who have somehow listened to us in all these places is amazing. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: So I have to say, like, Okay, I'm gonna say this without being rude to anyone else that we know, but I'm like, when I see our audiences, I'm like, these are exactly the people I want to be in my community. People want to be friends with, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Of course, because they're they're biting and cynical enough.
Speaker 2: To be cynical enough, which is LGBTQ plus wall to wall LGBTQ plus, as well as straight women and their cool boyfriends, but actually mostly LGBTQ plus. And I mean there were people at are Chicago show that had homemade merch that was really well done, in fact, with a sort of fun handwritten font.
Speaker 1: It was actually giving Arrow's tour.
Speaker 2: It was giving eras tour there are. It's such a good mix of you know, singles and couples and all sorts of all sorts of love triangles and thrupples. I believe the cast of Passages was that one of our shows. They have not figured things out yet. They were still in character too, still in character.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Also, you know we should say I have now met members of your family at every single show we have done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I so this recording is coming literally one day after you left my parents' house in Michigan. I you know, how have you? How do you feel now that you know this side of me?
Speaker 2: It's actually well, first of all, the way I loved your parents and you have not done them justice. I'm sorry to say when I ask you know, what are your parents like blah blah blah. I'm like, I'm imagining you know, Midwest quiet like oh oh hello, oh yes whatever, Oh we are talking. These are partiers, folks, we are talking. I am ready to go on one of your mom's girl trips where she has wine in the train that she was talking to us about. And sorry, if that was an appropriate I should to mention that, but I am.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. We are doing a girls trip to Chicago. Your dad so fun. The way that they're like, I'm like, I thought you would be the sort of crazy one in the family, not the case. You're the normal one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a normal one. It's true.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact the way your parents fully understand like the importance of a bit. Like we were at a restaurant. So this is my last night in Michigan. They take me to one of the sort of like nice restaurants in your town. Okay, they are selling at the restaurant, they're selling hoodies that say the name of the restaurant. You and I make some little quip about them. We finish our meal, we get out of the restaurant, your parents are inside. We say what are they doing. They probably ran into someone than you. You better believe they were buying me a hoodie with a restaurant name as a gag. I mean that is genius.
Speaker 1: I mean it was. I was actually understand that.
Speaker 2: That is the funniest and also most meaningful possible gift they can give me. I mean, I also, I'm so I'm so lake pilled. I'm like, you know, all my life, I've considered lakes to be lesser bodies of water, and I am ready to frankly purchase a seaside home in Lake Michigan with the proceeds of this worldwide tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, Lake Michigan really is that girl. There was such an element of like, you know, I'm gonna let her speak for herself totally, because as soon as he has his toes in that water, he is going to be like Wow, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: You let both Lake Michigan and your family speak for themselves in a way that I actually I was like, wait, I should do more of that. I feel like I'm constantly trying to prove that my family is weird and quirky, or trying to like sell people on the idea of you know, going to Greece in the summer, and it's like, actually, if I just shut up and allow people to experience the things for themselves, then I won't have to be tap dancing all around everyone. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't help it. Prs in your blood.
Speaker 2: Pr is in my blood. From that one year I did it and got paid hourly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hot. You can take the girl out of the PR firm, but she can't take you.
Speaker 2: And thank God for.
Speaker 1: That, and thank God for that.
Speaker 2: You know. Before we finished talking about try, I do want to say, if you're listening to this, the West Coast, as we said, is starting soon. So if you're in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or Los Angeles, head on rightour to linktree dot com slash Tradio lab and buy those ticks. But yeah, but otherwise I think we are just very excited to keep doing this. We are so like I feel like i've you know, we get a lot of like dms and emails that legitimately make me laugh, teach me things. We just posted this giant screed we got on the concept of lunch on our Instagram. Yeah, tell you that got more likes when we post the photos of ourselves. You know, I'm a little mad about that, but.
Speaker 1: That did kind of hurt. To be honest, I was like.
Speaker 2: Everyone is literally genius, genius, smarter than Sam and George. Get them on the pod, like they should take over for Sam and George. We were like, okay, like we're just trying to throw them a bone.
Speaker 1: We're just trying to lift up underrepresented voices.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like yeah, exactly, still people that don't have a pot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the most underrepresented voices on podcasting.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, yeah by definition actually, so yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 1: I keep keep emailing us, dming us all gripes.
Speaker 2: By the way, please review us. I hate to say it, but oh true. We love to see a review and it actually really helps with Apple podcasts and being featured, et cetera. And by the way, you can always subscribe to our Patreon which is patreon dot com slash radio Lab, and we have two extra episodes a month. Most recently we have been doing a lot of movie episodes and a lot of pop culture episodes. But we're gonna also go back to our roots and do listener questions and you name it, sweetheart, We'll do literally anything you email us to ask.
Speaker 1: That's true. We're very up for suggestion. We're open to suggestion in a positive way. Yeah, I don't know, is there anything else we need to cover?
Speaker 2: This is this is very like it's lounge, it's giving lounge. It's both lounging, and we're just sort of like, oh, you know, we just wanted to check in with our listeners and say thank you because season because you know, obviously these seasons are a little arbitrary. I mean, who's to say what separates season three from season four. But sometimes, you know, like when you're making New Year's resolutions, it's nice to take stock of everything and be grateful and give a little shout out to everyone who's been with us, either from the very beginning or even from hell a couple of days ago when you saw us live in Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: True true, true, Yeah, I think happy New Year to all. We're seniors now, we're podcasting fourth year.
Speaker 2: Something tell us we're going to be sticking around for a couple more years because we didn't ask the big chemistry exam.
Speaker 1: Me thinks we're going to be super seniors.
Speaker 2: Me thinks we're going to be super seniors.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: Well, Sam, it's kind of crazy to not be in the same place.
Speaker 1: I know, we've like glued to each other for a bit.
Speaker 2: It's crazy almost to the point where I'm like, are we so close now that it will be are we so close that it will be like doing a podcast with my blood brother and it might feel do we need more Do we need more distance in order to have something at least to bridge with our comedy? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I think this this next week we are not really seeing each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, it's actually for we literally need to make an effort to not talk as much so that we so that things build up and then we start our West Coast leg.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I think the West Coast leg is going to be a reuniting that will feel huge even though it's only been one week totally.
Speaker 2: So yeah. Seattle. By the way, if you're you're an employee of Amazon based in Seattle or Nike based in Portland or I don't know if those are switched, but you know, we are always open to corporate sponsorships.
Speaker 1: Oh and not to be you know, ignorant, you know, as a bit, but the way that I'm just like, what is the difference between Seattle and Portland. I keep being like, I keep like sort of being like it's like Saint Paul Minneapolis. I keep being like the twin cities, like they must be right next to each other, and it's like not really, but in my mind, I'm like, they're they're the same, and I can't wait to find their nuanced differences.
Speaker 2: I mean, even my expectations where I was like, Okay, Portland is going to sell better than Seattle. Sorry to be behind the scenes. You'll never believe this. Seattle is selling better than Portland. I'm like, everything I have known my entire life has been alive and we are actually huge celebrities in Seattle and huge flops in Portland.
Speaker 1: So if you live in Portland, you know, speak up and tell tell them that we need your support. Tell your neighbors, your friends, your family, that these gay podcasters will die if you don't buy a ticket to their big show.
Speaker 2: And as your dad said, maybe Fred will be there, meaning Fred Armison. That was that was so iconic.
Speaker 1: Well, we were all like, huh, Fred, who what are you talking about? He's like Portlandia dah, But he.
Speaker 2: Is right, he was, like it was a good reference. It's just somehow, somehow, we were all like, what, hello, it's not twenty.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, dad dous twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, folks, we'll see you on the road. And by the way, enjoy today's episode with I want to say Cody Rigsby, Yeah, and if we're wrong then and if we're wrong then I guess actually is but but but but honestly shout out to Cody because I am literally a stan. After that, I was like, you are funny, my friend. Yeah, talk about a professional, talk about a professional. I'm like, I couldn't teach a Peloton class, but he can do a gay podcast.
Speaker 1: It's too much. You can't have too much.
Speaker 2: It's too much. By his book, by his book.
Speaker 1: Okay, talk to you soon. Bye bye,