Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Mollie John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds.
Speaker 2: We're on vacation with that doesn't mean we don't have a great show for you Today. Author John Gans examines how we got to our present political moment. But first we'll talk to Status News Oliver Darcy about the changing media landscape.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fast Politics, Oliver Darcy.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Molly. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: I wanted to have you on the podcast because I read your newsletter every day. Status Well, thank you, You're welcome. You are a really smart media reporter and also, you know, a lovely human being. But I spent a lot of time thinking about the media, and not just because I love to think about myself, but because you know, we are heading into Trump two point zero and the media is really one of the last checks and balances we have left. So can you just paint with a broad brush what the media looks like right now?
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately it's not in the best shape. And the broadest way to describe it is I think there are a number of outlets either facing financial or business struggles, and then there are other outlets that are facing editorial struggles, and then their outlets, perhaps like the Los Angeles Times, facing both editorial and financial struggles, and so unfortunately at a time I think when the fourth estate you would want it to be the strongest, in a very strong position, it's actually quite vulnerable. And you're seeing that in different signs. I guess our symptoms are appearing every day, whether it's Joe and Mika maybe going down to Malongo to kiss the ring, or whether it's Jeff Bezos and Patrick Sunchion, you know, having blocked their newspapers for making endorsements, or whether it's CNN putting dishonest MAGA voices like Scott Jennings on the air. I think you're seeing throughout the landscape troubling signs as Donald Trump prepares to has sent to the Oval office once again.
Speaker 1: So there are a number of things happening. One is financial. These media companies are having a hard time making money. Some of that is because tech companies have really put them in an impossible spot.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, one hundred percent, so talk to us about that. For a long time. Obviously, these media companies were fueled by advertiser dollars and right now in twenty twenty four, advertisers can generally get a lot more bang for their buck by advertising with either Google or Meta because they allow for extreme targeting. Right if you go on Instagram, you will get ads targeted specifically to you, like it's actually quite wild. You don't even want to spend money, and you get these ads that are like, you know, and I'm thinking, I'm getting these ads and I'm like, I didn't even know this product exists, but this looks like it was built specifically for me. And that targeting is really alluding to these advertise And so you've seen all that ad money that used to maybe be spent in the you know, glossy pages of Vogue or people used to advertise on in different number of different areas. You've seen a lot of the advertising dollars go to the duopoly of Google and Meta, and that's put a lot of financial pressure on publishers. And you've seen newspapers go under. You know, they really can't make ends meet anymore, whether that's the local newspapers that are in the communities, because a lot of small businesses now rather spend their money online versus in the local paper or whether that's on the national level where you're seeing papers like the Los Angeles Times or the Washington Post really really struggle to make ends meet, and a large part of that is because of the advertising environment. It's not friendly to them.
Speaker 1: I want you to explain sort of what is left in the media sort of world now, like what it looks like for newspapers, magazines, and news more generally on television.
Speaker 3: So I think on the local level, we just it cannot be underscored enough how decimated the local news environment is a lot of communities no longer have a paper. They're relying maybe on a TV station to cover the news, and a lot of those are owned by Sinclaire, which is another story. And so in the local level it's just really terrible. And so hopefully someone can figure out a way to make this work, but right now it's not so good. On the national level, you're seeing a lot of these one time giants shrink, you know, year after year, and so La Conde and Asks is a good example. You know that that company has has continued to shrink over the years. It was once this huge behemoth and now it's it's you know, every other It feels like every few months they're doing some sort of layoffs, and they're trying to figure out how to transition from a print business to a digital business with a digital ad environment not being good. I think a good example, I guess is Vox Media, which owns New York Magazine, but also the Verge ear some of these other Internet brands. You're you're seeing Jim Bankoff, who's the CEO over there, really look for other revenue streams, whether and generally this is becoming a subscription subscription play where they're asking people to subscribe directly to their publications. It's not great, I guess on the national level either, where these big publishers are shrinking and really struggling to I guess, to stay alive and find revenue streams that are while. And then on the television side, there's another whole issue, which is that these also one time giants are facing an existential threat in that people are cutting the cord. Every single year, millions of Americans are cutting the cord. And what does that mean. That means that the revenue stream these these cable companies, in particular cable news companies are fueled in part by Cape or mostly by cable carriage fees. Their business model is collapsing underneath them, and less people are watching them, so that means less advertiser dollars because every time someone cuts the cord, there goes another potential person you can meet with advertising dollars. And so a company like CNN or MSNBC or even Fox News, and then also there's just a linear channels like ABC News, NBC News. They're all losing audience, and so the game really has become not whether you can grow your audience, but how you can hold on to the audience you have long enough to transition to a digital play that will work. And of course, as we just discussed on digital, there are all these problems because the advertising market's not great either. So really what it's coming down to, I think for all of these players is how to compel reader's viewers to pay for direct to consumer subscriptions. And I think at some point it's going to be challenging because people will only pay for a subscription to so many things. Right, you have a Netflix account, you might have an Hbo account, you might have a New York Times subscription, But how many subscriptions can you convince people to pay for before they're just over it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm wondering, like when we think about people are on line watching news, right, They're watching it in clips, they're watching it in the guy with the beanie aggregating the news. They're watching news like they want news. It's just that cable companies have not figured out how to get it to them. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: I think that's partly right in that, like, yes, there are models for news and commentary that are certainly working online. I think the issue is these cable companies were making so much money molly off of these cable carriage fees, and so they have They are very large, They have large workforces to maintain, you know, like CNN basically has a standing army of journalists around the world, something like four thousand journalists in the workforce. They're just stationed across the world and they're all getting paid whether they go on air or not. Right, And you might be able to find a model where like let's say, like a Kaitlin Collins, you know, can have a let's say five ten million dollar business built around her, but that's not going to supplant or dig you out of the hole. For a billion dollar company. You know, if CNN is making let's say eight hundred million dollars a year right now, maybe seven hundred and it was making over a billion, you know during the Trump years under a former chief Jeff Zucker, you know, that's that's a profit. And so even if you can build like a ten million dollar business around Kaitlin Collins and a ten million dollar business around Anderson Cooper doing something on streaming, that is nowhere near the profit margin these companies have been operating, and so then they need to dramatically downsize. And as they downsize, there goes a lot of the reporting that they that they're paying for. And so the trick I think really is I think you're seeing this with Mark Thompson at CNN, is he knows that he needs to really slim down CNN, get it much much leaner and focused on digital. And the reality is for these companies to survive, they're all going to have to get a lot smaller, and that's going to be very, very painful over the next few years. So I guess the question is, yes, there is a way to get news out to people in in a profitable way online, It's just not going to replace the profits that these companies have been making and so you're going to have to cut a lot of journalists in the process.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure. One of the things that happened in the nineties, And again I am, I want to say a victim of the nineties because that was when I started working, and that's when I came of age, which makes me sound old, But what I saw in the nineties was all of these newspapers and magazines and then the Internet, and that they could not make the jump, right. They just couldn't figure out how to make the jump, and so they didn't and so ultimately what happened was they were kind of shrunk and they were kind of replaced by things that were not as good or not as fulsome but in some ways they were. So can you sort of like go along with me and try to think of ways in which these news comeanies. Isn't there like a way to sort of make this work or you think it's really just not suited.
Speaker 3: I think there's a way to make news work. I'm bullish on that. I mean, I definitely think there's a way to make news work. I just think that the current you know, the current dinosaurs, if you will, because they're large and they're old, are probably not going to make it into the next age in the same way, right, And so whether that's the old magazine publishers and losing a lot of glamour there, or whether that's the cable news companies and some of these big newspapers, like, it's going to be really tough. I think the Times, the New York Times, has done a really good job of offering a very polished premium offering that adds a lot of value to people's lie and offers great reporting. I think that the issue too, though, to some extent, is how many New York Times is do you need? Right, Molly, if you subscribe to the New York Times, now, do you really need another one? Do you want to pay for three or four New York Times is? I don't know. And so you know, because The Times has sort of taken up the market there, and it's possible that maybe like CNN could offer a very differentiated product with with live video around the world that would be interesting. Maybe that would be a differentiation enough for you just to pay for it. But I think that's the challenge as well, Like there are only so many subscriptions. I think people will pay for and maybe there can be some bundling in the future, maybe like at some point we see the Newer Times in Journal and CNN bundle, or maybe CNN and the New York Times get together. I think there's gonna be more consolidation that happens because there's too much, just too many offerings, and it's people are going to be fatigued. And I also just continue to think that these massive companies are going to have to slim down dramatically just to survive. And that's not to say, like, look like as these companies also slim down, other things will grow, Right, So you have newer companies like Pop or Axios or these newer age companies that pop up and maybe fill a little bit of that void. But as as technology progresses, things are disrupted, and I think we're just continuing to live through that, right.
Speaker 1: No, agreed, And like there definitely are certainly opportunities to rethink the business model, and you've done that really well, So talk to me about how you've done that well.
Speaker 3: I think if we go back to this a second as well, I think you know, there are a lot of companies, again, the big ones that have a lot of people there and and whether like CNN goes to air in South Korea or you know, and where they have someone's station or where they have you know, whether they go to air in Africa where they have probably someone's station, or maybe they have people station all across the world, and a lot of those people if they're not going on air, I think that you know they're they're gonna mean, they're obviously getting paid regardless. And I think that if you're someone like Mark Thompson, you have to figure out how to get them to create content every single day, even if it doesn't go to air and adds something of value, because if you're adding something of value, people will I think, pay for it. And that's what I've seen with my own company status is every single day I wake up and I'm trying to add value. I'm trying to tell you something you don't know, to give you pieces of information that you were unaware of before. Because I think that when you have a strong product like that that tells people, it informs people, it's interesting to read, they will pay for it. It's just a matter of doing that on a consistent basis. I also think as well that you have to stand for something, Molly. I think people that read me know pretty well where I stand on very important issues, and you can't be like milk toast. You have to have a little flavor, you have to have a little edge, and you have to be breaking news. And I think if you can create a dish that has those ingredients, people will be intrigued by it hopefully pay for it. And that's where I've been aiming to do a status Let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about that for a minute, because that's really important. So I am an opinion columnist, I would say, very very like I would say, I'm center left. If you're on the right, you would say, if you write for Fox Digital, yes I read it. Thanks guys. I'm a far leftist, but obviously if you're any kind of leftist you know I'm like quite centrist and I'm pro democracy, I think, which is ultimately more important than any political leaning. And I try really carefully to when I write, though I'm largely on the opinion side and not reporting, I'm pretty careful to keep mindful of my values as much as possible, which is not always as possible as I would like it to be. Sometimes I have to make choices, but you are a reporter, so I'm hoping you could talk about that because I think it's interesting and I think, more importantly than that, it is what is needed right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that there's been a conflation to some extent between stating obvious facts and stating an opinion. I got into this in one of my recent newsletters, like, for instance, the idea of where Cash Patel talks about using the FBI to go after members of the media. I think that I don't even think, I know, that's an Unamerican way to think, and it's it's it's it goes every against everything that you know is embedded into the country's founding principles. And I don't really think it's an opinion for me to to. You know, if I was writing a story to describe that as flatly an American for some reason, some people would argue that's an opinion, and then you get into I guess what is opinion and what is fact. I think that there are a lot of people in the press corps who are worried about being seen as partisan for stating I guess obvious facts, and Cash Battel is an extremist. That's another fact. Steve Bannon is an extremist, Pete Heg Seth is a conspiracy theorist. These are well documented facts, and at times you'll see like the Associated Press, I think, had a story many months ago that called Cash Battel a conspiracy theorist or said that he has a long history trafficking and conspiracy theories, which he actually does. But for some reason, news organizations shy away from those labels when writing or reporting on these figures. And I'm not sure why. I don't think it's an opinion.
Speaker 1: No, it's true.
Speaker 3: Well, people are scared, Molly. They're afraid that if they call cash Battel an extremist or Pete hegse ethic conspiracy theorist, that they're going to be labeled as leftist, partisans and biased, and that Fox News will as sail ABC or whoever would say some such a thing. And then, I mean, look at what happened when when David Mirror fact checked Donald Trump a couple times during the debate. You know, Sean Hannity gone on air right afterward and attacked Disney CEO Bob Iger. And these guys do not want to be drawn into the culture wars for a lot of reasons, but one because half of the country is still their potential customer base. You know, they want Republicans and Democrats going to Walt Disney World. News organizations are trying to tread softly because I think they want to maintain credibility with both halves of the country, and the truth is kind of pitting them against each other because I think that for a lot of people who lean left, they're frustrated not seeing conspiracy theorists called conspiracy theorists, and then on the right, if you do do that, then they get alienated and think that you're a leftist and you're biased, and so it's really a difficult pickle these companies are in. I happen to think that as journalists, our job is not to think whether the truth will offend people, but it's to report things fairly and accurately. And I don't think you can tell the story of Cash Betel in a fair accurate way without very strongly mentioning, you know, in the headlines and the leads of stories that this is an extremist who has been appointed or named as the potential next FBI director. I don't think that's an opinion I think that's a matter of fact, and I think news organizations have the duty to tell the public what's actually happening. She answer your question when I write, I'm just writing these as you know, I'm just writing that Cash Betel is an extremist. And so I think because a lot of other people don't write like that, maybe they think Oller is like an opinion guy or whatever. I don't think that's an opinion. I just I'm just writing a matter of fact. And when I was at CNN, we called Fox News a right wing propaganda network in news copy because they are, and if anyone has any questions about that, I'm happy to refer to them to you know, a large volume of articles and documents from the dominion case that very much indicates that is exactly what they are. And I think journalists need to actually, frankly, have a little more backbone and when they're covering these these entities.
Speaker 1: So interesting, so important, And thank you Oliver.
Speaker 3: Darcey, well thank you Molly. This was really fun.