Speaker 1: This is The EDS with Eddie Judge and Edwin aro Jave. Welcome back to The Ed's podcasts.
Speaker 2: I'm Eddie and I am Edwin.
Speaker 1: Today's episode is about the New Year, twenty twenty five, but before we get into it, we want to really acknowledge the devastating fires that are happening in La right now and really thank the first responders of firefighters and everybody who's out there really trying to save as much as they can and do as much as they can. Also, I want to give a big shout out to everyone who's really helping out by bringing water and support and you know, socks and underwear for all the people that have lost everything. It's really devastating. You're in La, Edwin, Yeah, how is it going for you?
Speaker 2: So the main house that we have, luckily we didn't have to deal with that. There's another how that we have in Hollywood Hills that we had to evacuate from, and that even though we rent that house now, it was still tough. But like at the end of the day, we didn't really have any belongings there. When there was a part there where it looked like it was going to get close to our main house, and I mean, I can only imagine what people what they went through, because just the thought of losing everything in a matter of minutes is really heartbreaking. You know, the other day I was going through just like pictures of my last sixteen years, and I was like, I want to keep this somewhere, right, like, these are awesome memories. And I can only imagine like me feeling that way now about you know, these pictures that I've had for sixteen years. I can only imagine people that you know, are you know, thirty forty years and out of nowhere it comes right yeah, where they can't even see it coming. It's just all of a sudden, they pick up your bags and they got to go, and they got to leave everything behind. I mean, the thought of that is just devastating. And but yeah, shout out to you know, the first responders and all the work they've been putting in and just seeing the city come together has been great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 2: It looks like an apocalypse movie and it's it's very real, and it gets really real once you know, it comes close to you as well, you know, when it really gets close to you, that's when you're like, whoa this is? This is nuts?
Speaker 1: And are you close enough that you can smell the smoke?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh wow? Okay, all right, Oh deary man, Well I'm glad you're okay.
Speaker 2: I think no matter where you're at in LA, I mean, especially if you're pretty close to the west side, there's just no denying it. You're gonna you're gonna see it and you're gonna smell it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very sad to see that happening. I know, we in Orange County had our share of fires last year and it didn't get too close, but close enough that you could see it and smell it. And that's scary in and of itself to think that a fire can come in and take everything and turn your life upside down. Really, so we wish those folks the best. And you know, LA and Orange County, I think we all come together and San Diego, everybody in California is coming together to help any way we can to help people, you know, get through this devastating moment. So one unders Okay, let's switch gears now, let's try to anyways, let's talk about twenty twenty five the New Year resolutions. Resolutions what's your thoughts on resolutions? Do you do annual resolutions? Do you subscribe to that or do you think it's just the end of the day.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've always had goal goals, right, So I've always I've always been big on goals. You know, what am I trying to accomplish this year? What am I doing? I mean resolutions? I mean I like calling them goals, right. I think resolutions sort of have this stigma to them that it's just everybody says they're going to do something, and then two weeks into it, they don't.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the things I hate the most about New Year's is how packed the gyms are and how packed the fitness classes that I go to are. And it's like I got to deal with it for at least a month, but then I know, once February comes back, it's like, you know, half the people are gone. But it's always interesting to me how you know the first two weeks are always packed. I mean you can't. I mean, you got to get there early, you got to sign up like two days before, and sure enough, a month later, it's it's back to normal, you know, And it's it's it just goes back to like, it's not that hard to be successful if you're just consistent, right, Like, I think consistency will transansform average into excellence. But most people have problems with consistency. Most people have a problem with like repetition, you know. But I think, I think if you're just consistent and you stick to it, and consistency is not always about being perfect. It's just about progression as long as you're getting a little better and you're consistent with getting better. As you know, Eddie, just from all your background, you get really good at things if you can, you know, do it for three months, do it for six months, do it for a year. And I think a lot of people can do things for maybe a week, some people can do it for a month, some people can do it for three months. And but really it's can you do it for a year? Can you do it for two and three? And compound that consistency and then again it'll transform average into excellence.
Speaker 1: Y My take on Year's resolutions is that it's sort of a way to set up society to fail, meaning it gives people the excuse to start over every year. And then my experience with my life and you know, everything I've accomplished and everything I've observed as success is that starting over is hard and it sets you back. But if you keep going and keep that consistency, like you said, and just consider January first another day, you're more likely to reach your goal because it takes years. Specifically in business, I don't know any successful company that has been like top of mind, top of like Apple, Google, Nvidia, you know, Amazon. It took them ten plus years to be what they are. So to think that, oh, I'm just gonna make quick rich money, you know, in one year, I'm going to set a goal this year, I'm going to make a million dollars. Well, how much are you making now? Is it nine hundred and ninety nine thousand dollars or is it one hundred thousand? And how the hell are you going to go from one hundred thousand to a million dollars. It's sort of setting you up for failure, right right, So I don't I don't subscribe to New Year's resolutions. It might be a good time for us, you know, for us to just check in on our on our goals and our achievements, but to set new goals could be very distracting to set you know, new, to engage in new desires when you haven't accomplished your past goals or your resolutions you've had last year, or the year before or five years ago. It really that's why I say, it kind of sets you up for failure. There's so many people in the world that I've met, you know, that say I'll start tomorrow, I'll start Monday, or you know what, I'll start my goal in January, first of such and such year, right, and it inevitably it always ends up failing because, like you said, the first two weeks of the year, everybody's at the gym. Through week three, what happened to everybody? Week four, it's back to being empty, and you still have eleven more months.
Speaker 2: And you know it's interesting, Eddie, Like it's funny. For me, New Year's has always been fourth quarter. My New Year's I've always looked at. It starts in October. The reason why I make the last quarter of the years so important to me is because I often say that you could only receive what your mind can accept. Right. If your mind can't accept something, it's never going to get it. So what are you doing that makes you think that you can get better. So for me, in four order, that's when most people are sort of packing it in and they start to sort of get lazy and they stop working and they not wanting to and they stop wanting to do they stop doing all the things that you know, they worked hard for in the first you know, eight months, nine months, right, So if you can do well in the last quarter, stay disciplined in the last quarter, then what will happen is you'll start off the year with full momentum and by the time people are barely you know, recovering from the last three months where they've basically just chilled for three months, right, especially sales people, right, real estate people, alarm sells people, like most of those industries, like they start hanging it up in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeh.
Speaker 2: And I've always been about like, no, this is when I'm going to freaking slam on the gas. And now I start succeeding at things that most people can't succeed at, and then it gets my mind to accept, wait, I do deserve more because I'm doing things that most people aren't doing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the whole idea is, you know, yeah, New Year's has loosen everybody's doing it right. It's like, no start before starting the fourth quarter, build momentum, and then once the new year comes, you're just flying, you know. And so I've always been very intentional about starting in the fourth quarter and then, like the other thing that I would say about, you know, goals is obviously you want big goals, you want big, god sized dreams, you want a dream big. But what most people don't tell you is, you know, when you go after big dreams, big goals, a lot of times you'll get discouraged because they seem so far away.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the idea is, yes, have big dreams, have big goals, but I like to put targets for those goals. So I want to hit targets that eventually will make me hit those goals. You know. An example for me, when I was fifteen years old, I gave myself a goal that by twenty one years old, I was going to make one hundred and fifty grand, right, one hundred grand. Actually, I also envisioned myself living the life I live today. I envisioned that at fifteen years old. Now did I believe it, Heck no, but I knew it was going to happen. Somehow, some way. And that's why I often say that we all have this unlimited potential, but it is limited to where you're at today. So because of that, you have to put targets that will help you get to your major goal, because every target you accomplish will now unlock a new level of belief. See, I'm a firm believer that in life, it's all about belief. Right, you have to have conviction, you have to believe that it could happen, but you have to take steps, and every step that you accomplish will now unlock a new level of belief. So again, when I was fifteen years old, I said, Okay, I'm going to make one hundred grand by the age of twenty one years old. So I said to myself, well, I guess I got to become the manager of this place by eighteen. That way I can start making at least sixty grand. And instead of focusing on all the reasons why I couldn't, I was just like, I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna figure it out. I'll control the two things that I can control, which is my activity and my attitude in some way, somehow, I'm gonna make one hundred grand by the time I'm twenty one, and then sure enough at eighteen years At sixteen years old, I became the supervisor, started making like thirty grand a year. By the time I was eighteen, I became the manager. Now I started making like sixty grand a year. But every step unlocked a new level of belief. And then sure enough, at twenty one years old, I made one hundred and fifty grand and I was like whoa, And then that unlocked a new level of belief, and then every step you keep rising unlocks a new level of belief. But if I would have been like, man, I want to live like the life I live today, if I wouldn't have gone through those steps, I would have never got there because I just would have got discouraged. So again, we all have this unlimited potential, but it is limited to where you're at today, and each new accomplishment that you try to get is always going to come with it set of fears. That's why your trust has to be bigger than your fear. You're always going to be scared when you're going after something big, and that's where you have to be courageous. You can't have courage without fear. And for me, that's always been very important to me is breaking down getting a goal, breaking it down to the ridiculous. And the reason you want to break it down to the ridiculous, which is are the targets, is because that makes it realistic and that makes it attainable. Because what causes you to take action towards something is your ability to think you can get a result. If you don't think you can get a result, you'll never do it. But that's why breaking it down to the ridiculous will make you think that you could make it happen, and every target unlocks a new level believe. So that's that's what I've always done about goals. I'd love to hear what you do ready as well, because you've always been very gold driven, very disciplined, and obviously I think you've made a lot of New Year's resolutions happen.
Speaker 1: I do no, I do recall. You know, when I first got introduced to making resolutions as an exciting thing to do. You know, everybody's doing it, everybody's setting new goals on January first, I am going to do this, And there was a time period where January first was a fresh start. And I am not opposed to fresh starts and starting over and doing new things, especially doing new things that's exciting, right, But there was a time period where I'm like, I don't need another resolution when I haven't accomplished my last three years of resolutions, right, And it really taught me like, Okay, it's good to set these goals and have a time stamp of January first, kind of like a fresh start. I get that concept, but knowing that, you know, life and success is a game of endurance. Not a lot of people can handle endurance. A perfect example would be like a sprinter versus a marathon runner. Right. The marathon runner is gonna certainly achieve more, have more time spent into it because they will take their time getting to the goal, versus a sprinter. The sprinter wants to get it done now and quickly and not work, you know, twelve months to get to the goal. So the point of resolutions has been, you know, can you set realistic goals and can you keep that momentum going? Because it applies to everything, not just business, I mean it applies to relationships. And it definitely stood out for me in the fitness business. When I had the gym, you know, everybody's excited. Everybody comes to the gym and starts working out, and we have some great success for the first three four months of the year. And I made it a goal of mine to keep people engaged throughout the entire twelve months, not just the first three months, you know, not just the summer bod. Let's work on your summer bod. You know, well, what happens after your summer bod. You just let it go right, and if you do, you're essentially starting over. And to add to your point about the fourth quarter in October, I think if you can do exactly what you're talking about, staying focused, having the faith, and moving through all the noise and distractions that the last quarter had, I think it's the hardest time of the year to be accomplishing anything because a everybody tends to make it look like the world kind of slows down. People are taking more time off, there's more parties. We got to celebrate life, and that's where the problem happens. To start October thirty first, with all the sugar, all the candy, all the distractions. And you know, I'm not saying that Halloween is not fun. It is fun, but it's also a good excuse to just eat like shit and drink like you know, to to no end and just start hurting your health. Come Thanksgiving, which is one of my favorite holidays, as you know, and it used to be I could eat all kinds of food on Thanksgiving and it's so much fun. It's it's in you're with family and everything is happening, and how could you not look forward to that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And then there's December and we got Christmas and.
Speaker 2: All parties that party.
Speaker 1: So I used to tell all my clients like, if you can really put the pedal to the metal on the last three months of the year, you're going to be successful. In fact, I used to hold a lot of challenges at the last quarter of the year, and I even went as far one year, which I lost my ass on, but I was happy. I said, for all you guys who can work out thirty days in the thirty one days of December, I will waive your membership for the next you know, for the next month. And a lot of people were motivated. It's amazing how people are motivated by your little one hundred and twenty dollars one hundred and forty dollars a month membership, and it motivated everybody not to you know, ruin their health journey and their fitness journey. And at the end of the day, I ended up, you know, with very low revenue on January, you know, first because there were so many successful customers or clients that that achieve that. But I truly believe that that is the heart. That's where people really gain the most weight, where people lose the most traction on their goals, and certainly where people get the most distracted. You know, there's there's holidays leading up to that, but the fourth quarter is the game changer. Like, like you said, I agree with you one hundred percent, and.
Speaker 2: That's why I think they call it separation season, right, That's where you get to separate yourself from everybody else. And again, more importantly, it gets your mind to accept that you do deserve more because you're different. Right, Like when you get to go to the gym and now instead of or a fitness class, there used to be forty people there and now there's ten. You're like, okay, I'm a little different, you know, and I think you know, at the end of the day, what I've seen from just average and elite people. Is elite people can get things done even when they don't feel like it. They don't work off how they feel, They work off their discipline. And you know, during the fourth quarter, like you mentioned, there's a lot of distractions, right, but if you can still get things done while those distractions are happening, or while there's a lot of chaos, that's what separates average from elite, right, because anyone can do thing things when your life is great and when things are going well and when you have no distractions, Like, yeah, you're supposed to do well, right, but it's can you do well when there's a bunch of distractions? Can you do well when there's a bunch of chaos around you, when you're when your life is falling apart? Can you still get things done right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That is that's the definition of grit, right you figure out how to resolve during chaos, right. Fortitude, resiliency. You know, my favorite three skill sets are fortitude, grit, and resiliency. And those things can't be caught taught. They can't. They can't be taught. You have to You're not born with them. You have to experience them. And the only way you experience them is by continuing to push forward against all the resistance. And you know that's why in life, I don't think you want it to be easy. You want it to be hard because if things aren't hard, you know we were talking about pain earlier, right, if things aren't hard, you'll never build the muscles that you need to sustain success for a long time. Because what's gonna happen is life's going to punch you in the face. It's inevitable. Life and pain are inseparable. And when life punches you in the face, if you don't, if you haven't built that muscle of being able to take that punch, you'll get knocked out. But that's why when you're but the only way to build that muscle is through those tough times. So if you can embrace you know, this year as you're going through the pain of going through that goal, and instead of quitting when the pain comes, because if you quit, you never get to build the muscle. But if you just continue to push forward, focusing on the things that you can control, you'll start to build that endurance. You'll start to build that grit, that resiliency, that fortitude, and the reason they are my three favorite skill sets to have because no one could ever take them away from you. Like, no matter what you do, you'll kick apps because when life punches you, you'll spring back up and you'll continue to push forward. Right, Whereas most people, because we all get knocked down, right, we all be knocked down. Yeah, the difference is how fast do you get back up? You know? And most people, unfortunately, they stay on the floor for like freaking months, whereas you know, the people that do pretty well for themselves, they spring back up and they're like, yep, I got knocked down, I'm springing back up and I'm pushing forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think another way of putting that is, you know, it's easy to experience the good times in life, you know, and even the good times in life don't have longevity because they get boring. Right. It's like driving the same car for ten years. Well, I had a heart on when I bought my Ferrari, but ten years later, I'm want a different one. Three years later, I want a different one. Right. So to build resilience, unfortunately, you're going to have to go through some pain. You're going to have to go through some discomfort and you're going to have to experience it. Nobody can teach you. You cannot read it in a book, and you cannot learn it from somebody else going through the pain. In order for someone to really understand resilience, they have to go through it. And unfortunately, sometimes life just throws it at you. Right, people like you and I tend to go out looking for it. You know, we want the challenging, we want the obstacles, but it's the people that you know are through are just for lack of better examples, a car accident, you know, you cannot see that coming, and shit like that happens. So or even this fire us happened in La. Who would have ever thought that it was going to flatten out the whole city of Palisades, Right, you would never have thought that. But now that you are going through it, this is going to have to be your experience. If you haven't already experienced resilience. This is where you learn how resilience works and what you can do to get through it.
Speaker 2: And then it allows you to be more. You know, when the next problem comes, it's as big as more because you've gone through so many. Right, so someone it might be a big problem. But because you've already gone through a lot of tough times in your life, the next problem that comes isn't that big anymore, and you get a bunch of those you continue to, you know, build that muscle. The other cool thing that happens when you kind of are going through a tough situation is you're also building a story that you when you overcome and you do well for yourself again, it now creates a loyal following because people want to follow somebody that's got a great story of overcoming and obviously the only way to do that is through go through through pains. It's kind of like you have to embrace the suck, you know. And whenever you have goals, those goals are going to come with problems. That New Year's resolution, whatever we want to call it, is going to come with a bunch of problems and challenges, and you know your job is to solve those challenges and when you do, you're going to get that new level of belief and then it's okay, what's the next purpose, what's the next goal? And every time you do, you start adding to that belief. And it really just comes down to if you're able to again, I've been talking a lot about a belief. Belief is confidence. Confidence comes from keeping the promises that you make to yourself, which is you got to be about truth. And most people when they think about truth and integrity, they're thinking about keeping the promises that they make to other people. Well, that should be a given right. Where most people mess up is they don't keep the promises that they make to themselves. And the problem and the reason they do the reason they don't keep the promises they make to themselves is they think no one is looking. But there is someone looking, which is your subconscious mind. And every time you don't keep a promise to yourself, your subconscious mind keeps saying, Yep, you did it again. You never keep your word. Oh, you said you were going to go to the gym all year, Yep, you lasted three weeks this time, check jack. And then that's where you start losing the belief. You start losing the confidence because your subconscious mind doesn't believe you anymore. Sub Consciously, you'll say, I'm going to be the top sales guy at this company. But the problem is your subconscious mind says, nap, I don't believe you. And the reason I don't believe is because I got a history of you never coming through on your promises. So, because your subconscious mind doesn't want to see you get hurt, it will literally self sabotage yourself to come back down to what it really thinks you're worth. So it'll start making excuses for you to start quitting. Even though everything's going great. You're on your way to making your goal. But because you have this history of never keeping the promises you make to yourself, you will begin to self sabotage yourself to come back down to what you really think you're worth. See, your subconscious mind is always going to prove itself correct.
Speaker 1: So do you think the people that can't commit to their commitments, you know, because their subconscious is telling them I don't believe you. Do you believe that's because of the people that are experiencing that never experience real challenges. You know, it's always been and Dad get me out of it, or Dad will just pay somebody and fix my problems, or for that matter, our government will fix this and I don't have to do anything.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Are those the people that have that subconscious that makes them insecure and unresilient? If you will.
Speaker 2: I think it's the lack of awareness, because you can't change something you're not aware of what happens when you stop keeping the promises you make to yourself. You don't even realize you're doing it anymore. It just becomes a habit, like you don't even again, you don't even realize you're doing it. It's just part of your lifestyle. So really the question is, well, how do I start building my confidence right? How do I start truly to believe in myself? And it really just comes down to, no matter how big, no matter how small, you keep the promise that you make to some to yourself, you know, and then every little win starts building that belief level. And again we talked about it earlier, Eddie, it's consistency is not about perfection. It's just about progression. And as long as you're getting a little better, like that's all you, that's all that matters. But eventually you can stay consistent for a long time. Now you start making some leaps, But it's all about consistency. Most people can't deal with consistency. And the other beautiful thing about consistency, consistency is what establishes a habit, and what happens is you're not always going to be motivated. You're not always going to be inspired, right Like, we don't always like I've never always inspired and motivated. But my habits will get me through those days where I don't feel like going to the gym or I don't feel like going to work. I've made it such a habit that even though I don't feel like it, I still get it done. And it's why consistency is so important.
Speaker 1: So tell me a little bit about your experience, since you have plenty of with salespeople. You know, you have your salespeople that are just go getters, have experienced hardship in life, and I think on the surface, we all know that the person that has suffered the most pain usually is the most motivated, versus a person you know that grew up with the silver spoon in their mouth and you know they just don't know what to do with their life. So they come to you and you give them an opportunity, and then they're like, eh, not for me. What is the differentiating factor when you have those two polar opposite people that you're training, and how do you guide them so that they're both successful if that is possible.
Speaker 2: I think, to me, what I've seen the biggest is just the some people are consistent and some people aren't. And I've seen people from that are successful that already have you know, rich parents become very successful as well. And I obviously i've seen the opposite, right, and I've seen people that come from nothing make it. But what they all sort of have in common is just this commitment to consistency. They do the commitment to repetition.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They like to do all the boring stuff that no one else wants to do, like the gym. Like the gym, it's I mean, the life is like that, right, Like they show up just winning in life. It's just showing up every day. Like I think back to myself when I was fifteen years old. I was shy, I was timid, but I got obsessed with repetition. I started I wanted to do all the boring shit that no one else wanted to do. Part of that was just showing up every day. I showed up six days a week. People that were way more talented than me only showed up four days out of the week. I showed up to every leadership development class they had the people that were way more talented than me never showed up to those classes because they weren't mandatory. I got obsessed with role playing. I went to the top guy in the entire company and I said, hey, can you record your presentation for me? And then I wrote that thing word for word and I must have said it a thousand times, and I started to feed up. I started to copy his tonality, the way he spoke, I started walk like him. I basically just mimicked everything he did. But then I sort of got to rob his confidence from him because I'm like, well, he is the top guy in the company. I'm doing it just like he's doing it. I must be pretty good and happen is once I started getting the results, I started to believe it right, because you don't believe something in your heart until you experience it. Right. When you have that conviction, it's because in some way, somehow you've experienced it. And that's really when I started to really believe, like, wait a minute, I could really do this. But I was doing again all the boring stuff that really no one wanted to do. And I think, as you, you know, if you want to be successful, if you want to make sick. Whatever you define success is right. You know you want to make six figures a year, seven figures a year, It's actually not that hard. Number one is first rule is you have to find an opportunity that allows you to be successful, that allows you to make that kind of money. If you want to make a million dollars, but you're in an industry that or in a position where there's no way in hell that you're going to make a million dollars, then how are you going to make it? So you have to you have to find you have to find an industry that will allow you to be as successful as you want, right, an opportunity. But the second one is the hardest one. You have to find someone who's done it before, who's got a best at interest in your success that's going to help you do it. And if you could find those two things, you should be pretty successful unless you just don't start applying the things that you're being taught. But yeah, that's that's what I've seen over and over. It's just the consistency is again, consistent consistency will take average to excellence. I mean, here's a perfect example, Addie. It's funny I was talking to Teddy the other day and she was making fun of a picture I post that She called it a thirst trap, and that's why I was showing my abs. Right, And I do the same boring ass workout that I've been doing since I was at eighteen years old. Nothing special about it, nothing sexy about it. But it's just the consistency over the years. I don't even have to work out on it as hard. You know, I maybe do abs once a week now. Back then I used to do them like or five times a week, and it's it's like the same. It's just the consistency. And then I'll see dudes in the gym doing all kinds of you know, crazy ab workouts and they're nowhere, dear what you know where I'm at right And here I am with my boring ass freaking four step AB workout. Nothing special about it other than I've just been consistent.
Speaker 1: Consistency really plays a big role in every aspect of life, which you know, just brought up another point leading into it's not just about making money, because the reality is not every single person in this world can apply these rules and be a six figure a year earner. Right, There's other aspects involved such as opportunity and relationships and of course timing. So let's shift a little bit off of the financial business, you know, consistency, purpose and think about our personal lives, you know, because money ultimately doesn't buy you happiness, it's it's who you are as a person and your relationship. So are you I know you're struggling right now and you're living through a really challenging time with your relationship. What part of consistency has been applicable to what you've done in your relationship for all these years? And how are you handling these challenges today?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well so I think again, So your goes back to your habits, right, I think your character will be revealed under pressure, right, it's under pressure, your character will be revealed. Right. And you know, for me, I've always leaned on faith, you know, whether that's business, whether that's family, whether that's my health. It's just always leaning on faith first, always having hope, something that you're looking forward to. You know. That's that's been huge for me.
Speaker 1: Right, That's part of your consistency, right, yes, okay?
Speaker 2: And and in fact, the more successful I got, the more I wanted to lean into faith, right, Right, Because you know, the more success comes, the more sometimes problems comes. And you know, right now I'm dealing with another set of problems, but it's really my faith that's kind of carrying me through that. Also, you know, the discipline of still like, hey, even though all this stuff is going on, like, you still have to get there's still a lot of people that are depending on you. You got to get the job done right. And and then gratitude, you know, that's that's a big one. Gratitude is And it's not easy. You have to cultivate gratitude because we're already pre programmed to worry all the time. So if you're grateful, you won't see like failure as permanent because there's so many things that you're grateful for. So that's that's been huge, you know. And and you know obvious tell people if you're if you're struggling with faith, increase your gratitude. And if you increase your gratitude, you'll automatically have you know, faith, you know. So so yeah, it's just uh doing the doing the things that you're that you're supposed to be doing, you know, and and just continuing to push I think, continue to push forward, right because I think what what happens with most people is when that fear comes, they sort of get paralyzed and they don't move, and then from there comes procrastination. You know, you need to do stuff, but you don't do it, and then from there you become paranoid. And then that's when you get in your head about things, and then that's when that anxiety really starts to creep in, because it's just a bunch of thoughts in your mind. I mean, think about it. When have you overthought good thoughts? Every time you overthink something, it's bad thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and what happens when you have a lot of thought in your head when you have a lot of clutter, you're at a low frequency. What you want to be is at a high frequency. And you could only get a high frequency when you have clarity. You don't even have time to think because you have you're so clear on everything that you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know that's why, Like for me, one of the ways I do that is just by staying productive. You know, I always say execute being overwhelmed by overwhelming execution, and that for me has always helped me out quite a bit, you know, because Otherwise if you just sit around and think, mine'll go wild on you.
Speaker 1: You know, going back to the consistency, that's I think a big part of being in control, right, Self control, self discipline is one of the biggest factors that's made me successful. And I've had moments where, you know what, I don't want any self control. I just want to relax and not think about anything, right. But I also know that when you get to a point where you've been consistent with life and everything in your life, you're essentially in control of your life. And I know that when you can't control something, that's when chaos ensues, and that's when your mind gets clouded, and that's when feelings that you get distort you, and then you start doing shit that you shouldn't be doing and you regret later on saying things. You know, and that's typical in any kind of disagreement, whether it's business or personal family. Right, do you feel like you're in control right now going through what you're going through with Teddy? Or are you depending relying on faith to manage it for you? I mean, how are you going to get through? This is really the question I'm asking, Do you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you have to let A big part of it is faith, right, because I think what robs you of your inner piece is you trying to control something that you cannot control. There's just certain like I'm big on controlling what I can control, but there's certain things that you can't control. And that's kind of where the faith comes in, Yeah, because when you try to control something you can't control, then that's where you rob yourself of the inner piece. And I think more than anything like inner piece joy are probably two of the best things you could ever have. And you know, I'm not going to sit here and say that every day is perfect. It's just it's ups and downs. And sometimes I feel great and I'm like, yeah, this is things are going to be great, and then then the next day, I'm like, what the F is going on in my life? Right? Like, So it's just knowing, Yeah, it's just knowing that. Look, it's not about perfection. It's about progression and taking one day at a time. Know that you're going to have bad days, like it's part of life, Like we're not always going to be feeling great, and and don't beat yourself up when you have those bad days. And you know, and it's it's it's the only way that that that you can do it. I think is just acknowledging that it's going to be tough putting one keep progressing right, because the only way you're going to get out of that dark valley is like continue to push. If you just stop and sit around, you're never going to get out right. So you just got to progress every day. Know that it's you know, you're gonna get knocked down. Sometimes you're gonna get back up, and it's just it's a it's a journey and then hope for for you know, for the best.
Speaker 1: Another thing is, you know that keeps us kept me and some of my clients motivated is doing something that's bigger than yourself. And and this was applicable during our Spartan training. You know, when you're doing an obstacle and it's the the why, you know what what is your why? What is your reasoning? And how are you gonna empower yourself to get through it? And sometimes I had to talk to clients and say, I think about something that's bigger than you and decide if it's powerful enough to get you through the hardest times, the hardest obstacles. And I had a client that actually found me through Spartan race research, and he said he was going to do a Spartan race with his son, and his son ended up passing away from some cancer or something like that, and he was determined to do a Spartan because that's what he was going to do with his son. And he's like, gosh, I think he was pushing seventy years old. And the guy was motivated, and he was you know, he was he was there because of the power he had from his son. You know, he was doing it not for himself, but for the power of, you know, making his son proud, who isn't around. I mean, that's a very powerful tool, right right. And and what I'm getting at I think is, you know, I think part of what your struggle is you're going through can be empowered by thinking about the kids. You know, thinking the kids first. Anytime it comes to a divorce or separation of two people that you know have something in common, I think it's important to think about what that was that you have in common in how to protect that. So I think I think if you really use that tool, I think you'll be able to enhance and and and you know ten x your faith and power to get through this hard time in your life. You know, I know it's not easy, you know, but I just want you to be, you know, as successful and as happy as you can be going through this time of your life.
Speaker 2: Bro, I appreciate it, man. And you just reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, which is courage is not the absence of fear, it's the absence of self. And it's typically you know, if you live for yourself, you can settle for less, but if you live for others, that require all of who you are. And that's exactly what you said. It's just it's a big driver, you know, seeing you know, things aren't taught, they're caught. And your kids see how you handle yourself during a pressure situation. And that's why I say your character will be revealed under a pressure situation. And habits are reflexive, and if you have good habits, that's what's going to come out. That's the kind of person you are. So I think for me and to your point, when you change your life for the better and you start doing better, you give people hope and faith that their life can change too. And it could be a major inspiration for people as well. So you know, I think what I'd say to everybody listening. If you're going through tough times, you know know that when you overcome it, when you change, it's you're going to inspire many people. And in life. I know sometimes people don't think this, but you know a mantra that I love is I exist, Therefore I will impact. And it's just a reminder to yourself, I exist, therefore I will impact. No matter who you are, You're going to impact this world, and it's either going to be positive or negative because your decisions are going to impact this world. And I've just always chosen to do it in a positive way, right And you're either inspire, you're going to expire. And the thing about it is, no matter who you are, I promise you you can inspire someone because there's someone that is just like you that when they see you do better, it gives them faith and hope that their life can change.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Absolutely, And coming full circle, because we started this conversation about resolutions, I think that's a mindset. What do you think your mindset is for twenty twenty five? Are you optimistic about what this year brings.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I'm very optimistic. I mean, I think twenty twenty four was probably my toughest year in life. Everything that could have gone wrong in business kind of went wrong in business obviously, you know the news at the end of the year with my relationship wasn't a good one either. But again, hopefully this gives people a lot of hope. Is when you know you're doing the right things, there's always going to be a reaction, right, So for every action, there's a reaction, right, And what happens a lot of times is when you're doing the right things, it takes about six months to a year, sometimes two years to see it just skyrocket. And what happens is most people, when they don't see the results in three months, they quit. When they don't see the result in six months, they quit. But if you can just stay consistent like, it's gonna come. And I've seen this over and over in my life, and that's where I think twenty twenty five is going to be a great year for us. For me, i should say, and that I've been putting in so much work that it's just part of the resistance that you have to go through when you're gonna do some great and so I'm really optimistic on twenty five. Not because I'm just like thinking and hoping, and it's I know, I put in the work and I haven't quit, and I'm continuing to put the work. So I'm expecting to have my biggest comeback here and a very successful one. So you know, God willing that's what's gonna happen. But I truly believe it in my heart.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I got to be honest with you, though I didn't come into this new year with big goals in mine and I think we talked about that earlier in our conversation, but I do have a sense of optimism, like this is going to be a big year of change, a positive year of change, because not just you know what's going on to you with you and you know other people in the world, and gosh, what's happening already in twenty twenty five is devastating in LA But I realized that I just I operate so much better when I'm optimistic, and whatever that brings for me, I'm gonna cherish and you know, take in with open arms. But my goal for twenty twenty five is to make some great positive changes and I don't know what those changes are yet, but it's going to be a year of change for me, whatever that is.
Speaker 2: I love what you just said there, Eddie, because honestly, ninety percent winning in life is just being positive. If you can take a negative and turn it into a positive. And here's a quick formula for you to do that. So your life is a series of events, and based on the interpretation that you give that event, that's going to give you a feeling. That feeling is going to cause you to take action, and that action is going to take you give you the result. So if you don't like the result, you have to change the action, which means you have to change the meaning, which means you have to change the interpretation. But if you become really good at the interpretation of that thing that happened in your life, you'll now get that feeling. That feeling will cause you to take a certain type of action and that'll give you a result. Now easier said than done, right, So sometimes you won't be as great at interpreting that event in your life. And a reminder is just because you feel some way, let's say it's a bad way that you feel doesn't mean you have to act on it. Just a little reminder on that as well. You don't have to act on everything you feel and you know, because sometimes you're not going to have the greatest feelings.
Speaker 1: Right, It's just part of life.
Speaker 2: Life.
Speaker 1: So let's do a quick speed round for what we're looking forward to in twenty twenty five. We have some questions here and then we'll wrap this up. Let's say a place you want to visit this year? Is there any specific place you want to see this year that you've always wanted to see that you haven't seen for whatever reason?
Speaker 2: Abiza? What about you?
Speaker 1: Oh, Abiza, that's good. I always wanted to see that when I was younger in my party days. Today I would feel like an old man there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I might be that old man there, but I think I'm going to check out Abiza. By the way, I heard it's a great place to take your kids too. Apparently it's apparently it's like it's it's people from France that's like their Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean it's the party island. But it's a gorgeous place and you know, you don't have to go there to party, but it's it's a beautiful place. That's awesome. A place I want to sit this year is actually Zion. I've been wanting to go to Utah and visit just you know, just something here that I've never seen, the red rocks, the hiking trails, the beautifulness of our beautiful country. So that's one of my goals is to visit Zion this year. Is there a skill you want to learn this year? A new skill?
Speaker 2: I'm either I'm either going to take dancing lessons, although I like to think I'm a really good dancer, but I want to take it up to another level. What kind of I think a little bit soalsis a little hip hop like I want to start doing all that just but I want to do with my kids too. I think it'll be pretty fun to do with my kids. And the other one is cooking. I think that's a new skill set that I want to develop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you new skill set? I think I want to learn everything I can possibly about AI. You know, to me, that seems to be the next good inner, right, So I I really am curious. I avoided it for the last two years, but I think it will be a big deal for the for the rest of our life. So I'm going to learn everything I can about AI. Do you have any predictions for this year in general? Nothing specific.
Speaker 2: That one. I don't know. I'm not really that good at predicting there. I mean, well, you're going to get going.
Speaker 1: Going back to my positive thinking, I predict this is going to be a great year for the United States. You know, it's I just I predict that it's going to be a good year. So is there anything you want to do for someone this year? Anything or anyone?
Speaker 2: You know, my dad? You know, the World Cup is coming, so I'm I My dad's getting older, so I definitely want to spend more time with my dad, but also just kind of start lining up that big trip that I want to do for him for the World Cup. You know, I've never taken more than ten days off in a row, and I want to just take off thirty days in a row for that and just experience that with him. I mean that that's that's that's what what what comes to mind and travel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I want to have a hundredth year birthday for my grandmother. She's going to be one hundred in September, but I want to have it six months before that, because you know, I just don't know if she's going to make it or not. I mean, she's doing great, she's all there, firing on all eight but you know, I don't I don't want to wait. So that's what I want to do for someone, which is my grandmother, is have a nice hundred year of birthday parties. So and what is your word for this year?
Speaker 2: Relentless consistency.
Speaker 1: Relentless consistency?
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 1: I would say probably Sarah anddipity. That's my word, serendipity.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to apply it, but that's the first word that came to my head right now.
Speaker 2: Same thing, that's the first thing I just when you said it, I was just like, leveless consistency.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, awesome, Well, happy to year, great catching up with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was always a message for you for the listeners for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forget that we had a message for you listeners. What is the message? The message I think I want to I want to give our listeners is stay positive, stay positive, think positive. Even during the hardest times in life, in what life throws at you, try to stay as positive as possible, because that's where you'll be able to see through all the noise and garbage and distractions that happen in your head. With me, I've always used positivity as sort of the servile silver silver lining. You know, why is this happening? And what's the lesson? And ah, where's my path to get through this? You know, so positivitally, it's always helped me think I don't care how hard this is. I don't care if I'm you know, so far behind or I've lost it all. I am looking for the pop, for the path that's going to get me out of this. And if I think positive, I will find that path. If I think negative, I won't see anything, and I would just be blinding and and and never get out of that hole or never get out of that situation. So I'd say stay positive for for as much as you can, even on the hardest, worst times of your life. For illustration purposes, let's say again you are in a car accident. You're you're upside down in the car, and you're looking around and you're dizzy, and and you think, oh my god, this is the end of my life. If you switch gears and think positive, I'm going to get out of this, I'm going to get that out of this alive, and I'm going to get back to my life. It's a better way to get out of a situation than to think, oh no, I'm never going to be able to walk, or oh no, I just lost my arm, or you know whatever. You know negative thought comes into your head. Switch it to a positive.
Speaker 2: Love that I would say, you know, most people are waiting to know before they go, and you have to go before you know. And you have to go before you know. Most people are waiting to know before they go. But in reality, you have to go before you know. And that's really another way of saying you have to take action before you have what you need. To wait until you have what you need to actually start taking action towards it. Whatever your goal is, as crazy as it sounds, is you know, non realistic as it sounds, Just start taking action towards it and you'll start seeing how the stars will start aligning to you. But you have to go before you know. The house like the Killer of All Dreams. Sometimes we're waiting for the perfect time. It's never gonna have a perfect time. You got to just go to go after it. Yeah, so go after it in twenty twenty five. That's all five twenty five. I love it.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thank you so much for listening, and please remember to share our podcast, talk to your friends about it if you feel you got anything from it, and please any feedback. We Edwin and I love feedback. It's not to buff our ego or you know, you know, make us feel better. We really do gauge what we're doing based on our listeners. If you guys can enjoying us, or if you think it's just we're full of shit, so tell us the truth. I appreciate it all, and Happy New Year.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year,