Speaker 1: Post Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another episode of Poorest Love Supreme. I'm your host, Questlove. We have the family with us right now. Sugar Steve, the fastest man in the universe. I am fast, I'm here. I'm so very excited about this. Yes, wow, wait, that's what device was that?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Bill?
Speaker 3: This is my very fancy whiskey glass. Thank you for asking.
Speaker 1: It's not a device, it's advice, Billy. Our guest has a good trick too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I'm having giant sun kiss FDA.
Speaker 1: Apple.
Speaker 5: Only a shot a mirror, only a shot?
Speaker 1: Layah? How are you with your uh your fan? You good?
Speaker 2: Yes, shout us to all the perimenopause the ladies. Yes it is here, and yes we are.
Speaker 4: Too if we're talking about.
Speaker 5: It, Yes we are. Don't you love it?
Speaker 4: I love it?
Speaker 5: Hey, Hallie, thank you Hallie Berry.
Speaker 1: Well, ladies and gentlemen, First, don't succeed. You try, and you try, and you try again, and we will say that the wis this is the third or fourth time? Is the charm? It's finally happening. Our guest is a multi hyphened powerhouse of a talent and a human being. You know, I understand the term that they want to say, but I don't believe in egot. I believe in ghetto. So right now you're a get okay, I'll take it. Yeah, because I'm trying to go for ghetto. I'm not trying to go for egott. You are a Grammy Award winner and you.
Speaker 5: Don't want to want to go back to the ghetto.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, and a multiple Tony Award winner, a musician, an actor and activist, an author, humanitarian, a Time Magazine one hundred Most Influential Person recipient. You know, there's nothing the scoff at Uh. We are currently ahead of our guest brand new project, which is called The Black Mona Lisa Volume two cookout Sessions. Most importantly, you are from Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: Are you at a title?
Speaker 1: I was about to say my mom's from Pittsburgh, but I do not know the proper way to address agains YenS.
Speaker 7: Is just you, you all, y'all?
Speaker 6: Whatever, it is, just put.
Speaker 1: How ya doing?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Talk him out? Please? Welcome to Quest lof Subrie. Finally, Billy Porter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not at a title. He's also a joy Bringer he's a joyer.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So wait, what is the proper way to use Yen's Because I feel like I'm an honorary Pittsburgh and pittsburghen you're.
Speaker 4: Dealing with multiple people, and you're talking to multiple people's plural.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, it's like y'all, it's a Southern y'all, it's a Pittsburgh and y'all.
Speaker 4: You all y'all ying.
Speaker 1: I get it. See, I didn't know that it was plural because I see a singular person. I'm just like Yen's.
Speaker 4: OKAYLORA, It's the only way to use it.
Speaker 6: It's floral.
Speaker 1: Jacob is awesome from Pittsburgh just informed me that the term fuckings is a term for ye.
Speaker 6: I don't know that many people say that, but.
Speaker 4: That's proper. You will be using it correctly in a sentence.
Speaker 1: What part of Pittsburgh are you from? So?
Speaker 4: I grew up in the East Liberty slash Homewood area, like right on the cuff in the hood hood.
Speaker 1: I've heard my mom mention this place often, so okay, yeah, East Liberty, Okay, that is what's liberty?
Speaker 6: Just combine it sliberty.
Speaker 1: How long have you lived there?
Speaker 4: I lived there until I essentially graduated from college. I went to Cardigial Melain And.
Speaker 1: What's your major drama?
Speaker 4: Oh? Okay, I was in the drama department. Honey, your whole life, no classical theater calledge Daddy is trained. It's not a mistake. It's not by accident.
Speaker 1: What I want to know is because one of the last conversations I had with you was I was watching everyone on the show knows my obsession with Soul Train and owning all thousands of episodes, and I remember your careers as far as back as I think you were on the show. I believe in ninety four, ninety five.
Speaker 4: I believe, yes, I would say ninety five or ninety six because the untitled came out and on AM Records. That was my first album in ninety six, and I was on with ll clo J. Was on the same episode as.
Speaker 5: Me Marmore Soul Drain Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, posted on Souldrain. Yeah. So that's when I first became aware of you. Like, for some reason, I didn't connect that as you, even though I remember that episode well because I religiously record that show. So I'll start off like I ask everyone, what is your first musical memory in life. Then I stumped you.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not just one, and so it's hard to like because there are many different.
Speaker 1: When you thing of your childhood. Yeah, what's the first moment of music? Church?
Speaker 4: Okay, singing in church, singing that friendship Baptist church, being five years old, singing a solo, being the adult choir because I could sing so good, so they let me in the adult choir till I was out of concert. It was a it was a mass choir, conor clert. I was marching up. I was in the front in the soprano section because I was a gospel soprano until I was thirty. It's recorded so you can go and listen to it and see that I'm not lying or here that I'm not lying. But yeah, that's the first memory. And I was marching up and this really really mean lady snatched me out of the line because she decided that I was out of place and I shouldn't have been there because I was a little child.
Speaker 1: But did she have the authority to do that or was she the really no, she did not.
Speaker 6: It's in my book. It was very traumatizing.
Speaker 1: How old were you?
Speaker 6: I was like seven or eight, maybe.
Speaker 1: You were that powerful of a singer.
Speaker 4: You know the Clark sisters, right obviously of course, so you know Maddie Boss Clark essimply was the female James cleavey okay, right. She was in the KOJC Church, the Church of God in Christ. He was Baptist. He was the Baptist Convention of whatever. And he would go around the different cities and get singers from all the different churches, put them together and make those albums.
Speaker 6: So she did the same thing in the Pentecostal Church.
Speaker 4: And so I was such a good singer that somebody took me down there to Mill Street Church of God in Christ to be in the choir. And you weren't allowed to be in the choir and unless she was sixteen, But.
Speaker 1: What if your voice was excellent? What if you were the Aretha frames I'm about to say. Okay, So I.
Speaker 4: Get there and they're like, he can't be here, and they were like, just listen to him sing, and I said, and she was like sit out. She said, come on, she said, sit right here in front row. So you know, so I sat in the front row and worked with Mattign's Clark. I haven't really.
Speaker 6: Retold that story.
Speaker 4: In a long time, and I thank you for making me think about it, because I would say those are the two that's a major major musical milestone for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, like the beginning, the.
Speaker 6: First time that I really knew.
Speaker 1: All Right, I want you to explain something to me because oftentimes, you know, and we've had gospel lessons on the shows, and of course you know, for any black singer I know, I'll say that eighty five to ninety percent of their entry into music is coming through the church. Yeah, can you please explain to me? Is there a difference between a Baptist church a Pentecostal church?
Speaker 4: So I would say, we're not a monolis right, So like back in the day, the difference between Baptists and Pentecostal was the charismatic.
Speaker 1: Part, okay, shouting, the speaking in.
Speaker 4: Tongues and all of that was reserved for the Pentecostal people.
Speaker 6: The Baptist people at that time.
Speaker 4: Were still pulled up, okay, and they were still closer to ame, which was African American Episcopals. So if you've been to African American Episcopal you were probably singing classical music.
Speaker 6: You were probably.
Speaker 4: Singing, you know, your choir was singing hymns that were traditional.
Speaker 6: You probably had, like you know, Leonting Price.
Speaker 4: Was your soloist, okay, at the Ame church, Lanting Price was your soloist. At the Baptist church, Mahela Jackson was your soloist. And I do it with music. If you think of Mehelia Jackson balls to the walls belting. Okay, Pentecostal and I'm breaking it down through. Music was all about the coloring and the riffing and all of that.
Speaker 1: So if I were drumming, I would probably be at home drumming in a Pentecostal church.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was freer at the time. Now Baptists and Pentecostal are the same.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a seventies church person, so I think the last time I really really played in church was like eighty seven. And of course, you know, as a teenager and listening to hip hop or whatever, I would try to sneak in songs that were like Breakbeats or play Top Billing by Audio two or Peter Piper by run DMC, and the older people would look at me and start scowling, like m M, don't play any like? Was it looked down upon in terms of contemporary music, or.
Speaker 4: In the Baptist Church at the time, it was expanding. Okay, you could play, you could push it, but not too far, like, for instance, the Clark sisters were everywhere, but when you brought the sunshine happened and it crossed over into the clubs, it was a problem.
Speaker 3: Just like the.
Speaker 6: Hawkins family and Oh Happy Day, you know.
Speaker 4: But those people were like, but we're over here preaching to the choir. They were pioneers because they were like, well, we're over here preaching to the choir, and you're mad at us because we've broken through to essentially centers secular secular right, So isn't that the point the Bible says, go out into the world and preach my gospel. That's what the Bible says. So I was in that era where it was becoming more and more accepted. I mean now essentially, you know, I mean and and R and B and soul and gospel. They've always borrowed from each other, you know. And nowadays gospel artists are a hip hop artists. You know, Mary Mary is a hip hop artist. They came out they were hip hop artists, you know what I mean, Like, there's a whole generation of folk.
Speaker 6: Now, you know, you listen to Jake Marsh, she may as well be.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, King Keith heard when she first came out, Like they're very contemporary and they're borrowing heavily right from the hip hop tradition.
Speaker 2: Now his house, we were just talking to bb Winings about the work that he's been doing with Louis Vega, and it's yeah, and you and you with Freda, right, like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, what's motivational music in that way?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally, Belly.
Speaker 3: Do you consider yourself a church singer still to this.
Speaker 6: Day, Yeah, I'm a gospel singer.
Speaker 3: That's how you defined yourself.
Speaker 4: I'm a gospel singer. Anywhere I go, I'm a gospel singer. You know my mom, you know, I left the church when I was sixteen because I'm a big old queen and I wasn't out, and so I left and I was like, I'm not changing, I'm God made me who I am. I'm leaving.
Speaker 6: And my mom had a problem with it, and she came around and whatever.
Speaker 4: Before she passed, she passed it every word, but before she passed, every time every time she would come.
Speaker 6: And hear me or see me do something. She was so sweet.
Speaker 4: She would be like, I know you left the church, and you left it for good reason, But every time you open up your book, nothing but.
Speaker 3: Jess nothing but Jesus nothing, Jesus nothing.
Speaker 6: And it's true.
Speaker 4: It's like when I listen to myself, I got you can't take the gospel.
Speaker 3: How do you feel when someone writes a song for you, because I know that this happens with you and it doesn't necessarily sound like you. What is your thought process in that?
Speaker 4: Well, people who are writing music for me are generally writing it because they want me to sing it. So for me coming from a church background where it's about the spirit, it's about sharing your gifts with the congregation and the message and the ministry, and then moving that into training as a classical actor and learning how to tell the story because the story is most important. So in the secular world it's the same thing. The ministry and telling the story is the same. They fold into one, right.
Speaker 2: Bill, didn't you guys do this in a way. I know you did Sesame Street at some point.
Speaker 3: So I was like, Billy was on Sesame Street and he sang an ebby winning song called Friends with the Penguin, and it was one of the one of the I will say, in the fifteen years i've been there in one of my top five moments was this moment. And my girlfriend, who was a producer of the show, was like, it was one of the greatest moments you ever had on the show. Was you and that outfit seeing a song and it was fucking magical, and so like, I just want to say thank you very much because it was.
Speaker 4: Recognize your name. I'm like, I'm not a name, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of friends we have.
Speaker 3: We have James Sampleiner, I'm talking to the stark Sands over here, who's like, ask them about this, Like it's a whole Yeah, we have a lot of the same Literally just got off the phone with James Sampliner.
Speaker 2: Y'all like cousins, theatre cousins, right, like theatre cousins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the small world.
Speaker 4: I'm always trying to tell the story and because my voice was so high and it was so different and it didn't fit into anything or anywhere, you know, Like my voice was so high that regular tenor roles in theater had to be transposed up a third or a fourth for me. So like I would go into auditions singing a regular tenor song like let's say Anthem from Chess, a song that everybody in that era say, right, and I would go in and I would have to sing it a fourth higher from where it was written. So I would take the music in and put it in front of a piano player, and it was like Mitton's McCluskey, because they're so used to playing it in a you know that they couldn't even like. So I had to start taking my own piano player with me to auditions because people wouldn't be able to even looking at it.
Speaker 6: They wouldn't be able to understand this transla.
Speaker 1: When I deal with singers normally, it's like you got to lower it a few notches usually win in concert. They want to go lower, yeah, but you want to raise it higher at that time.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I feel like I've heard you sing Luther before and I have.
Speaker 4: Time. But I was very good with female altos with extension. I could sing those songs in the regular keys. I could sing I have nothing in the original key, Like I could sing that for real, with no like effort, no screeching note, like my top note. If you go and you google oh Holy Night on the Rose O'donald Christmas Special.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess I thought that video you was seeing Google.
Speaker 4: Oh Holy Night, that's that's Billy Porter prime at that time. Listen to Love Is on the Way from the First Wives Club, that's Billy Porter like at my highest prime. I mean the high note that I hit at the end of Holy Night was a high. I think it was F above or f a G above that high soprano see beltic.
Speaker 1: Who are the three singers that you pattered in yourself after?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Who were the singers that? Who your north star? Who's your top three? Okay, Karen Clark.
Speaker 5: Here and Aretha Okay, Trinnedy Trinity.
Speaker 1: I would imagine that you know, those are the three that are everyone's choice. Is there a singer that's sort of out of that circle that people will be surprised that you gravitate towards?
Speaker 6: I don't think it would be a surprise.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, men, I like Tom Waits, and Tom Waits has a horrible voice. I love that you love Tom Waits.
Speaker 6: God, you're making me atlantis.
Speaker 5: Martha that was random? Does love her?
Speaker 4: Love that that okay, and I'm sure there are more.
Speaker 6: You know, you put me on the spot. Now I can't take it.
Speaker 2: Nobody not to step on your toes, B But I was like, why are you thinking I'm curious about the first secular show that you experienced, because that's a part of your musical moment too.
Speaker 5: I know you mentioned church for real, for real, but what was the first.
Speaker 1: Your first concert or this will be a surprise. Wait before we get to that. Did you live in a no secular music household? Or was that allowed no secular music at all? Uh? All right, so who would you sneak and listen to nobody? Oh? You followed the rules.
Speaker 4: Well until a certain age, right, it was only secular music. And the music that I heard was on the radio or at somebody else's house. Okay, and it was always in passing. That's where you do all your bad shit at somebody else's house.
Speaker 6: So it was somebody else's house.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I loved Michael Jackson, I loved Shaka, I loved you know, Prince.
Speaker 5: Was a little oho much.
Speaker 4: I liked it, but it was like I felt like my mom could hear me listening to it.
Speaker 1: I got on punishment for prince. So I understand all that, and it was a little nasty, so had a night, you know.
Speaker 4: But what's interesting about my journey is that it was gospel, gospel, gospel, gospel. And then in the sixth grade, I was bussed to Risingstein Middle School during the second sort of desegregation moment, and I was introduced to theater. I was introduced to musical theater, and I got bit by the bug. And so then it became I went right from gospel music to theater. And theater for some reason was okay with my mother.
Speaker 6: He didn't really understand it.
Speaker 4: And so I was going to the Carnegie Library and taking out ten albums a week and.
Speaker 6: Listening to it while I was doing my homework.
Speaker 4: But I have to say it wasn't until I was about fifteen when I got a job working at Kenny Wood Park Kadywood Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which is the amusement park.
Speaker 1: It's still there, Okay, it's.
Speaker 6: Still privately owned.
Speaker 4: It's one of the last privately owned amusement parks that's still owned by the family that started.
Speaker 6: It in the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, because a lot of them have been bought up.
Speaker 5: By like six flags flag.
Speaker 6: And so I was by myself.
Speaker 4: I was living with the grown ups, and by grown ups I mean the college kids in the motel out by the park. Because my mother was now going to drive me out to that park every day and come and pick me up. She trusted me enough to do that. She signed off on me having a job. I did six shows a day, six days a week. Four of them were different.
Speaker 1: How old were you fifteen? So were you emancipated? I was.
Speaker 6: No, it was I wasn't answer.
Speaker 5: She gave you permission to me permission I had.
Speaker 4: To have written permission from her and take it downtown to whoever it was, or she had to go with me or something to give me permission to work.
Speaker 6: And we were ports. So like I wanted Georgiana ask James. I wanted to.
Speaker 1: And myself if you shot Damn.
Speaker 4: I forgot about Jumber. I'm fifty five and September. I needed my Sergyovalente. I needed my stuff. And she said, you know, she looked at me at one point and she's like, you have champagne taste on the beer budget. And so I came home one day for the job and she said what And I'm like, yeah, and I get to perform and I get to do you know what, I'm doing this and that and that.
Speaker 6: She was like, oh, and then she met the people.
Speaker 4: She went and she met the people who hired me because I went on a flute to the audition.
Speaker 6: I went with somebody else, okay, to.
Speaker 4: Accompany somebody else who had done it the year before. Curtis Clark, he had done it the year before. He's like, you need to come an audition because you get this job.
Speaker 6: And I did.
Speaker 4: And six shows a day, six days a week. Four of the shows were different.
Speaker 1: And we had costume spontaneous or no with So there were two groups.
Speaker 4: There were two groups, and they were like ten shows a day or something or seven shows a day at the same place. So there was Rasmatas, which was a band, a live band with three singers, three female singers. They had their four shows a day, eighty five.
Speaker 1: They've been out since seventy nine, weren't they?
Speaker 6: They were there and seventy nine and this group was there.
Speaker 1: I know, Oh my god, you've seen it. I wasn't heard. I've heard of Ramatas like no, I did hard time in Pittsburgh. I know this name good.
Speaker 4: And we and we were flashed and Flash did our shows to track, and all the shows were themed, you know, so like there was a TV show, there was a Broadway show, there was a dance show, there was a you know, and so ours had three male dancers and three female dancers. And so we did two different shows a day. Razmatast did two different shows a day, alternating.
Speaker 6: That was during the daytime. Then in the evening, both casts would come together.
Speaker 4: And we would do a show at seven which was one thing, and then a show at like nine thirty which was a whole different show, combined casts. As your first audition, that was my first professional audition, and I worked my ass off for three seasons.
Speaker 6: I did it for three seasons.
Speaker 1: What point did you realize I have a dream to chase and it's not where I am now? What was your goal? Like at thirteen.
Speaker 4: The summer of eight after I did my first musical, which was What which was Babes and Arms, and I played Gus Fielding And there were so many people that I auditioned for it that every role was double cast. And they told us at the beginning, every single part will be double cast. The cast lists spent up every part was double cast, but mine, And I'm like, what does that mean? You know, because I was bullied so relentlessly for not being able to play sports and being a book person, that all of a sudden, I'm looking at this extracurricular thing and if I'm not double cast, that means.
Speaker 6: I'm doing something right.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: So I was bit by the bug.
Speaker 4: And then that summer was dream Girls was on the Tonies and I just happened to be washing my dishes in the kitchen the Tony Awards came on.
Speaker 6: I didn't even know what it was.
Speaker 1: You never heard of dream Girl.
Speaker 4: I had never heard of dream Girls. I had never heard of the Tony Boards. I didn't know what was happening. But all I knew I was eleven, But all I knew was that I was watching black people on a stage, the same kind of stage that I had been on, doing the same kind of thing that I had just done. Right, But it was black people who weren't poor. They were they were in gowns, they were and so I was intrigued. And they did that fight section into and I'm telling you, and then Jennifer Holliday gets up and starts singing like I sing in church. I did Babes and arms. I didn't think that was a possibility to sleepless nice to daily fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course.
Speaker 4: In elementary school theater. You know, it's middle school theater. So there was nothing black about it. There was nothing current or urban about right. So I didn't make the connection A that this was something that people did for a living and B that I could actually have a place in it inside of my authentic self. So I knew that wherever those people are is where I have to go. And they're in New York and they're on Broadway, so that's where I'm going. And I made that decision at eleven.
Speaker 5: Was your first time seeing theater in New York?
Speaker 6: Or did you?
Speaker 4: After you watched the Chonnes, were you like, I need to go to a show.
Speaker 6: I need to see this. I started seeing.
Speaker 4: Theater in Pittsburgh, and I started immersing myself and finding places to train and putting myself in the right. But I didn't see my first Broadway show until I went to audition for colleges when I was seventeen.
Speaker 6: I didn't have any way.
Speaker 4: To get there. Really, I didn't know how to get there. I didn't know you know, there was no Internet. There was no like you have to this is nineteen eighty five, Like, there was no I didn't understand how to get there. So I had to figure out how to get there in Pittsburgh. And it was through the theater that it happened because there's no music industry in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Question. So my relationship with I'm telling You I'm Not Going is, you know, due to the numerous times that song gets chosen as showtime at the Apollo. So, you know, I found out about dream Girls long after. You know, they're on the cover of Ebony and Jet and it's already like five years after the fact. So like I knew Jerdani I Holaday when she got her record deal, like I Am Love and all that stuff. Yeah, and then eventually learned about it. So I've never as a watcher of award shows as a kid, I didn't see that performance, but I do know it was a game changer. So is that moment a seminal moment for black actors and whatnot in terms of the importance of I'm telling You I'm Not Going. Was that really the flag planning moment for Black Broadway to establish itself? That we don't have to sing in jazz hands like proper Broadway style, like we're allowed to.
Speaker 4: It didn't happen often, but it had happened before.
Speaker 1: Well, I knew about like Stephanie Mills, I saw the whis when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: And all of that, but like full out balls to the walls gospel like that and authentic had really only happened prior to that. With Your Arms You Short the Box of God, which was Carol, which was also Jennifer Howick.
Speaker 1: Okay, she was also in that.
Speaker 4: She was okay, yeah, but that was like the last and don't bother me, I can't cope. Had some gospel and it, you know, but like I actually have written a gospel musical with Kirk Carr.
Speaker 6: But I'm trying to.
Speaker 4: Get going because the last time there was an authentic gospel musical on Broadway with authentic gospel music sung by the people was Your Arms She Short The Box of God, which was in the mid seventies. You know, dream Girls is not a gospel musical. She's a gospel singer, but it was not a gospel musical.
Speaker 6: There have been gospel.
Speaker 4: Singers in musicals, including myself in Greece. Lily is white and everything she's ever done, you know, like we have been in those spaces.
Speaker 5: But fascinating, but not our stuff.
Speaker 1: So when Melbourne Moore won heard, I've never seen Pearly, so I don't know what roles he played. But when she won, that was that she was the leading Okay, but does she have a moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she sang I Got loved. Okay, she sang a few things, but she sang I Got loved. And that was real gospel singing. But it also wasn't really a gospel musical.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm right, give me consistent gospel music.
Speaker 4: In the musical. Yes, it wasn't. There was gospel. There was gospel in it, and she was an art She was more of a traditional.
Speaker 6: Black belting singer.
Speaker 4: It was you could say it was gospel, you know, it is gospel, but it was it wasn't like Jennifer.
Speaker 1: Jennifer was just so you're seeing that Jennifer was allowed to go zero to five hundred and really.
Speaker 4: Okay, and Melbournemore did too, Don't get me wrong, Melbourneore did too, and Stephanie Mills did too.
Speaker 6: However, the music that they were.
Speaker 5: Singing it's gospel. It wasn't gospel.
Speaker 4: It was not gospel. And I'm telling you was actually written to be a gospel you know, to be in that space musically, if that makes sense, just like Home was not?
Speaker 1: Right, is the off Broadway lane with a slew of gospel plays? There? Is it that that lane had to be created because mainstream Broadway.
Speaker 5: Won't allow, won't open the door that level of gospel.
Speaker 4: And I think you're probably talking about the gospel plasic.
Speaker 1: Bro had I created, because I mean, I'm asking you, is that the reason why that lane exists?
Speaker 4: Well, it's always existed, you know, it's an extension of what the Chipman circuit was.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, so it's in that space.
Speaker 4: And I'm and I say that with reverence and not as it disc you know, it's like, yeah, necessity is the mother of invention. Yeah, if you wanted to go see people in a in a narrative singing gospel music, you went to a.
Speaker 5: Tyler Perry play mm hmm, or.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, David Talbert or whatever they were before he came into the picture, before those giants of that space came into the picture. Right. You know, it's difficult because Broadway is very secular. Broadways very white.
Speaker 5: The Great White Way, and Jesus It's correct.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, but that's very funny. It works.
Speaker 4: But Jez Great Superstar worked because it's written by white people from a white perspective. You know, everything that has anything to do with something biblical were written by white, secular artists, white men, whether it's Andrew Lloyd Weber, The Amazing Technically Dream Coade and or Jesus Christ Superstar. They're good stories. Mm hmmm. They chose a good story, you know, the Prince of Egypt. It's a good story. These people are looking for stories to tell, you know, Biblical stories are stories that very often have wide ranging audiences.
Speaker 6: That's why they're doing them.
Speaker 4: But if you listen to those those musicals, they're not gospel music unless you rearrange it and make the gospel, which then you get into the rights issues and you got to get permission and all of that.
Speaker 1: Your accolades and your legacy, and I don't mean do you have it in you to with stand the abuse that it will take to establish or to get your production on Broadway. But with the claim that you have and the proof of your acting, how easy is it for you to uh manifest the gospel play that you would like to see on Broadway, stories that you want to be told.
Speaker 4: It's still it's still like Sisyphis.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter. It's still like.
Speaker 5: Thanks Bill, It's still like sorry.
Speaker 6: To tell you.
Speaker 4: I was just having this conversation with my with the head of my production company, and all of the passes that I've gotten on my film and television projects for the last you know, two years, they passed on you know, seven different people have passed on a documentary about me. I have three Tonys and Emmy and a Grammy, and I'm still getting passed on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you still got more material. Maybe it's not time for that yet because you still do.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Is it doesn't matter who.
Speaker 6: It's different. It's not any easier thout.
Speaker 4: The hill is still it's still a mountain that must be scaled.
Speaker 6: For everything.
Speaker 4: It's all good, But as we all know, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, you're at a point that I think that you would be the one person as far as this gospel situation. And it's probably and actually we're probably speaking it too power. This is just the process. But you're going to be that one person to bring all this together and put it on a stage.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you then, because I know so. My my question to you is how fucking exhausting is it to constantly have to push through life being resisted from childhood on? And how do you not self sabotage your journey? How do you not give up? I have friends who literally have given and aren't here with us now, Like, how do you just not just throw your hands up in the air, and like, like.
Speaker 4: I throw my hands up at least three or four times a week.
Speaker 5: Okay, I was put on this earth.
Speaker 4: To do exactly what I'm doing. M. I have been given a gift. It is my purpose, it is my ministry, it is my calling. I know that this much for sure. M. That's the only thing that I can return to in the moments where I feel like giving up, And when I tell you today was a dad where I said I can't do this anymore?
Speaker 1: Do you mind sharing us specifically what happened today? Are you allowed to?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was the last three people who I pitched from my music documentary who said, no, that's literally about can one become a pop star in their fifties.
Speaker 6: Can that happen?
Speaker 4: If it can.
Speaker 6: Happen, it would be me.
Speaker 4: And that is the journey of this documentary that my whole life and the thing is is that I'm a black fagot in America. And I use that word sagot because that's how I'm treated.
Speaker 6: It's a violent word.
Speaker 4: And everybody should hear it, right, just like grab her by the pussy, right, everybody got on the news and change the word.
Speaker 6: Don't change the word.
Speaker 4: Bleep it out so people can remember.
Speaker 6: What the fuck he said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the reason why he has ascended to the heights that he's ascended is because every person has given them a pass. I don't get passes like.
Speaker 6: That, you know.
Speaker 4: And and so for me it's like I was never supposed to be here to begin with. I was never supposed to be this person ever ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ever ever ever, KICKI Boots wasn't supposed to happen. And then when KICKI Boots happened, he was like, well, yeah, he's playing a drag ring. Yeah we can see that, but that's it. That's where the capital is.
Speaker 6: Gonna be in me movies, you know, like you know.
Speaker 4: My biggest dream at fifteen years old, when I was finally able to buy my own music go hearkening back to that, you know, I went and started. I mean, by the time I was eighteen years old, I had like seven hundred CDs because I was like just trying to you know, just like who is that?
Speaker 6: And what is this?
Speaker 4: And why don't I know that? And you know, like you know, just educating myself about bodies, about black music outside of the church. You know, my biggest dream was to be the male Whitney Houston, you know, and then all of this and then here I am.
Speaker 5: So that's why this documentary is going to be dope.
Speaker 2: And can I tell you, Billy, when you watch that Rosie old Donald clip that you were on back in the day. In my mind, because I follow your career heavily, as not too many things that I haven't watched that you have been in in my mind, I think he wants that so bad.
Speaker 5: And like, so now that I know that Mona.
Speaker 2: Lisa is the story of you becoming this pop star, it's got to be gut wrenching. And also people must have all kinds of misunderstandings as to why you don't totally feel fulfilled, even with.
Speaker 5: All of those awards, with all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You go back to that Rosie ol Donald video, you go back to when you were signed as a solo artist, and it seems like that piece, right there is one of the lone pieces that's missing for you is the gift, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, and the thing is the gift. For the first twenty five years of my career, I couldn't.
Speaker 8: Break through in the acting world because the gatekeepers of that world, well, he's just a singer.
Speaker 6: So then I scale that mountain.
Speaker 4: I went Emmy's for Best Lead and Emmy for Best Lead after in a Drama series as a said yes for the first time in history. And now it's like, oh, I didn't know bras Out is sing.
Speaker 5: That's true. That's true. They were surprised when you started singing in polls.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 1: See, I didn't know you acted. I knew you could sing. I didn't know you acted.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, well yeah yeah, no, no, no, no, no again, I know you, you knew I knew ninety six, like I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but people got on the Billy Porter train. People because my career is over thirty years now, right, and Black on cracking. I don't look like what I've been through. People have gotten on the Billy Porter train at different stops.
Speaker 1: True, right, So let me tell you this story.
Speaker 6: So do you remember Sandy Gallen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the man used to work with Michael Jackson.
Speaker 4: Michael Jackson Janney Barb saying Neil Diamond like so Rosie o'donald. He represented ros O Donald. When I was in the Revival of Greece. This is nineteen ninety four. I sang Beautiful Dropout. I did the arrangement. Go listen to that too. It's a gospel arrangement of you. Ooh, I did the arrangement nine minutes long. They destroyed it for me because they made me a coon.
Speaker 6: Essentially.
Speaker 4: They dressed me in a white space suit, put me in fourteen inches of orange rubber hair. Just don't watch it. You also have to read the memoir. You understand all of it. But I meet with Sandy Gallen. He asks me what I want to do, and all of the things and multi hyphenates that I'm doing right now is what I said.
Speaker 6: And he said to me, you can't do everything.
Speaker 4: You have to choose one thing because audiences can't.
Speaker 6: They can't receive more than one thing.
Speaker 4: And I said at twenty four years old, and I don't know how I had the presidence of mind to do this, but I said, with all due respect, mister Gallan, once again, I'm a black saggot in America. If I choose one thing and it doesn't work out, I am asked out. All these years later, I've proven him wrong in every single way.
Speaker 6: Exactly. The music.
Speaker 5: The music. That's what I felt.
Speaker 4: The music is the gift. What are y'all talking about?
Speaker 2: It's but you know what, sometimes here's the songs to Sometimes have you realized the song part of the music, Like you know, your voice is fucking stupendous.
Speaker 5: I mean explain it's more intellectually than I am.
Speaker 4: But sometimes they've been saying that for years Black MoMA lise I has the song.
Speaker 5: No you got it? But no more excuses now now, no.
Speaker 4: More excuses about that Black MoMA lise I has the songs. I was there. I'm there with the top writers in the business, Andrew and Martin.
Speaker 6: Three months before she died.
Speaker 4: Mmm, justin trantl who's the number one pop writer in the business. Another thing that I wanted to talk about in the documentary is that because I'm theater based.
Speaker 5: I'm corny. So that is a thing.
Speaker 1: Bill, I'm theater.
Speaker 4: Based, and because I come from the theater, I'm corny. Theater is corny until these motherfuckers want an ego.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how they want to go to a show?
Speaker 4: Yes, so they want to take.
Speaker 3: Their wife to a show or whoever the fuck it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all of a sudden, No shame right, everybody has dreams and should you know.
Speaker 2: But it's an interesting thing, nobilly, because who are the successful theater after singers who have translated.
Speaker 5: It's like Bett Mitler.
Speaker 7: The doors are bolt headed shut for us does nothing but open our arms to everybody, and the gatekeepers of the music industry keep the those doors bolted shut.
Speaker 4: It's not just me anymore. It's me, it's Leslie Oldham Junior. It's Cynthia Arinbo. It's so short to bean, you see, so short of being now because you need her to play your mother's.
Speaker 1: This is the weird thing, because ah, man, I'm frozen only because I'm realizing how close our stories are parallel. Because so the thing is is that I don't know, like if you were born in a musical fan I don't know what your childhood journey was.
Speaker 6: Like, do you think of Jayson family?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, if I were a betting man, you know, I would have thought that I'm going to make it with the first love of my life, which is music. Now, okay, I'm also insatiable by nature, so of course, like you know, you got you gotta get outside of yourself to to to see it. But this kind of tortoise and hair journey I've been on with music has been so slow that even despite despite the accolades, I still feel like I've not made it. Of course, other people have really sit on the sidelines get angry when I say that, because it's like, dude, we would chop our left bum. Yeah you as a person, well yeah. But my whole point is that when my third chapter started happening, i e. Directing movies, it's like, all right, good news, bad news here. Everything you ever dreamed for your life to happen is going to happen. And I'm like, what's the bad news? It's not going to be music that gets you there. Correct, And despite me getting to a place where I don't feel like a sealist artist or whatever, there's this itching, this longing I have to just if I can just get what I have now, But it's were my music because it's like, dude, when you grow up with five thousand records in the house, when you play radio city music hall at at twelve, when you everything I've done with music, it's like, ah, cannot just can I just have this one thing? God? Like can you?
Speaker 4: And there are people on this planet that don't even know. I say, I sang on the show?
Speaker 6: Did you watch the show?
Speaker 4: But it doesn't register when you're and it goes the opposite way. For musicians. It's like when you are considered an actor and you sing on a show, audiences do not receive you as a singer or a recording.
Speaker 6: They receive you as a character who is singing on a show.
Speaker 4: When recording artists come and try to act, there's a little bit of the same resistance.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Not nearly as much as thesite.
Speaker 3: But like, what if you look at it from opposite perspective, like if you if you have those other things that they're working great, it makes it makes the music thing a mirror, Like you've been saving on music for your whole life, and those other successes make you want to get to that level of success with your music, like you want to win the Oscar of Documentary as a musician, but you haven't gotten to yet. And I feel like that's is that.
Speaker 1: A bad thing?
Speaker 3: I know, if it's a bad thing, that's how I look at it.
Speaker 1: The thing is, during the pandemic, I learned a lot about myself, and I learned there was one week, I think all of July, you know, like it was hard to walk outside and want a mask. So I had a car and that was the one place where I could just take my mask off and be out in the world and not have to you know. And I'm living out in the country, so sometimes I would do these four hour drives, you know, upstate New York to go to you know. And I decided the entire month of July, I'm gonna listen to the entire roots discography and have a long conversation with myself, like what is it about these sixteen records that isn't fulfilling the dream of like I made it and some of these records are actually you know, someone platinum, someone awards, But what is it about? So this is my conclusion, and a lot of it happened because again, you know, I DJ'ed a lot. You know, during the pandemic, I was DJing online, and because I wasn't doing my club set, I was actually playing music I liked. So essentially all of twenty twenty I spent nine ten months, damn near three to five hours every day playing every type of music, which is somehow I started to say, wow, I don't think I know how to write a song, and then I realized, oh shit, every Root song came from soundcheck, came from da da da da. We don't know what a melody is. So suddenly I'm realizing I have to write learn how to write songs. So in the last five years, I've gotten a crash course on what a melody is. So similar to you. With this Mona Lisa project, I'm literally putting the farm on this next Roots album into because it just now I'm embarrassed. I'm like, how do I have seventeen records and people are like, oh, you guys are the earth win and Fire of hip hop. No no, no, no, the grateful dead of hip hop. And it's like we're still struggling to get to the place we should be.
Speaker 5: Right, So was that the goal though, Yeah, that's an interesting with the goal to.
Speaker 3: Write singles, I feel like the goal is is like, you're the greatest live hip hop and in the history of hip.
Speaker 5: Hop with one of the greatest ympsees of all time.
Speaker 3: End of story, Like does it matter if you have any singles?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: What about?
Speaker 2: Can I just shout out to Rich Nichols and Diyce Raw who actually did make some really help make some great roots albums, like are you serious?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but come on, dog eat Layah. You're the first person to plant it in the seed when things fall apart came out you fua. You asked me, Hey, how come the big single that is breaking you guys out? Why is that buried at the end of side too? Yes, I did say that because my logic was, Okay, in this hour fifteen minute record, I'm going to place the bait towards the end to make you guys listen to that. And you kind of eye rolled, But come on, liya, you understand that we live in a single society now and not to hijack this interview because I'm gonna get back to you, billy. But my point was the goal for me and people all diden say that, like, oh, you guys don't care like you are the roots either. People often I care because it's like the thing is, that's the thing like with this pedigree of knowledge of music, like the level of commitment. I have more commitments to music than I do to besides my relationship with Tarik, I don't think I've committed to anything as long as I've committed to music. And to not like to be able to tell people stories and to study people and to write their books, but not to do it for myself is almost rather jarring. And then yes, I know it's the subjective opinion, but when you watch people significantly less talented than you are, it just it burns me inside. And so but here's the thing though, and this is why I went through that whole field to ask you, because sometimes I ask myself, Okay, was it ever meant in the cards for music to be my path? Because now I believe in listening to the universe. Yeah, And I know I'm stubborn. I know I'm stubborn as fuck, and I want to control every thing and I want my version of how I want my life to go to be gospel. Now I'm just learning, like, all right, what do y'all want me to do? And it's like my world is opening up everywhere by music. So I'm asking you, are you willing to walk away from music knowing that other avenues have opened for you?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't call it walking away because I've already done it. The reason why I've been able to have such an expansion in my life, you know, there are a few reasons, but the biggest one was nine to eleven, nine to twelve, two thousand and one. I lost my voice to severe acid reflux for about five to seven years, and I had been asking the universe. I've been asking God, whatever it is that you know, I'm more than my voice. I'm more than my voice. I'm more than my voice. Lord, Please help me understand and help the world understand that I'm more than my voice.
Speaker 1: Were you in New Yorker? Like what was the I was all over, I was in LA I was psychological or.
Speaker 4: It was totally psychological. And so when I lost my voice, I literally knew why, and I was like, okay, Lord, you know because my voice, my singing voice, was my identity, My singing voice was my savior. My singing voice was what got me out, like the basketball players, like the sports people. It got me out of my circumstance. It allowed for me to be in spaces where I could learn how to dream beyond my circumstance. So my entire identity was wrapped up in that. And I had and the universe, God whatever knew that if I could keep singing and just get them jobs and the jobs that I didn't mark, then I would just keep doing that because I wouldn't have the courage to do anything else.
Speaker 6: It was in that five.
Speaker 8: To seven year period where my mind was able to expand. It's like I've been given more than just one gift. I can act, I can direct, I can write. I went to screenwriting school, you know. I was like, wait, I don't have to wait for somebody else.
Speaker 1: And George C.
Speaker 4: Will's my one of my mentors, said, you can't wait for anybody to ever give you permission to practice your art. You have to be doing it all the time, even when no one's listening, and most of the time no one will be listening. That's why I have five albums. This is not my second album, it's my six catch up people. I'm doing it whether y'all listen or not. I'm doing it whether you're watching or not. And all of the albums are fierce, so y'all can catch up when it's time. But for me, it's like most of the time, I can feel like that. Most the time, I can harness the power of just being present and letting the universe take me where I'm supposed to go. I have ascended to heights that I never dreamed. I have a star on the Hollywood Walk and saying that wasn't a dream. I didn't even think anything, you know, like, it's like it's been magical and simultaneously my question. I start to ask myself the question today, when is it enough?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: When is it enough?
Speaker 4: I am enough? Just as I am, I am enough.
Speaker 6: I have to say it to myself multiple times a day.
Speaker 5: Is this just COVID Billy? Do you feel?
Speaker 2: Because I remember some of your posts you were making during these COVID times and I really appreciated your truth and telling where life really is. You see what you see and what you don't see. So how you feel today?
Speaker 5: Is that post?
Speaker 2: That feeling now that you've hit with people you know from perception, people might say a little bottom in that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I was always headed in this direction because of my spirituality, because you know, I choose joy, I choose to be positive.
Speaker 6: These are choices that you have to make. They're active.
Speaker 4: I choose love. Love is active. I choose all of these things for myself so that I could just stay sane, because because this world will drive you insane if you let it. So, I mean, so for me, it's about always landing on You're enough, Philly, because everything on the planet will tell you the opposite of that.
Speaker 6: Many things will tell you the opposite of that.
Speaker 1: What year did your last album come out? What year did my not Black Mona Lisa Volume one? Yes, Volume one.
Speaker 6: Black Mona Lisa came out last November?
Speaker 1: Theyab before that, beyond before that.
Speaker 6: The album before that was Billy Porter Presents the Soul of.
Speaker 4: Richard Rogers okay and twenty seventeen, and then before that it was Billy's Back on Broadway twenty fourteen, and then before that it was at the Corner of Broadway and Soul Live from Joe's Bud.
Speaker 6: And then the first one was ninety four untitled.
Speaker 1: On A and m Okay.
Speaker 6: But this poet, you know this So the.
Speaker 4: Cookout sessions have come about because instead of simply just being mad, instead of you know, feeling sorry for myself and what have you, you know, for me, it's like, well, what's my plan? And how am I going to overcome this? Because I just have to keep working. I just have to keep pressing. I just have to keep pressing forward and be the best version of whatever it is.
Speaker 6: So I hired a new manager, We.
Speaker 4: Hunkered down, We made a business plan.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The cookout session is about harnessing my message, making sure that everybody knows who I am.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I realized in trying to figure this out is there is confusion. How do I stop the confusion?
Speaker 6: Is he a singer? Is he you know?
Speaker 4: Like you know, Sandy Galla said, confused people get confused. There will be no confusion, you know, because what I landed on is, oh, as a recording artist, I need a persona. I have to do what Donald Glover did. I have to be my version of Talvis Schambino so that people are it's like, oh, that's a different person, that's a different the team.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm excited about that.
Speaker 4: So my documentary is Billy Porter is black Mona Lisa. You're coming to see black Mona Lisa. That's a whole different thing. So I Beyonce even did it with I Am Sat Fears on her fourth album. I feel like I have hit on something that has the possibility to take me to the next level. Whatever that level, whatever the level is. The dream is to be playing out stadiums, but the reality is, I just want people to listen to my music.
Speaker 1: So question, should you make it as black Mona Lisa. We still have that itching, like, ah, okay, now i want to do this as Billy.
Speaker 4: Porter because I'm still Billy Porter, okay, And I've already established myself as Billy Porter, right So now when the gigs come in and somebody wants me to go and do a theater, when PBS calls, right it says like they have and says, we want you to do Billy Porter and Friends for New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: Nice, I can do Billy Porter.
Speaker 4: In that space, black Mona Lisa is somebody else, So then I could bring back Mona Lisa on inside of my Billy Porter. So it really has to be that distinct. I think, at least I'm gonna try to do it like that. At least I'm trying to do it like that now because I've tried all the other ways. So you know, let's see who knows, you know, But I think there's something in it.
Speaker 6: I'm really excited about it.
Speaker 4: And with these summer tours and with you know, my tour last year, and you.
Speaker 6: Know my imaging now you know, and.
Speaker 4: Like when you look at my visuals, when you look at that stuff, it now can make sense because there's a separation. People who know Billy Porter from theater are confused by this music because they know me as a theater person. They know Kinky Boots, so they're confused, you know.
Speaker 6: But you turn on bonut saying and don't have problems.
Speaker 4: So if I'm black Mona Lisa, then you can make the separation.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 6: See what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Oh that's your soul, you fears? Okay, yeah, what's your side? Your fears?
Speaker 1: Hold up?
Speaker 2: This is where part one is, but you have to come back next week or check out your podcast for part two of that QLs with Billy Porter, because in that episode, Billy is more real and more raw about his activism for several causes and shout out to all my polls fans.
Speaker 5: This is the conversation about his character. Pray tell that you have been waiting for. Also, don't forget.
Speaker 2: Make sure you check out Billy's new EP, Black Mona Lisa Volume two, The Cookout Sessions, which is out now, see you next time.
Speaker 1: How Much Love Supreme is the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.