Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich Podcast.
Speaker 2: Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for Coveno on Rich at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: It's like searching FSR all right now.
Speaker 2: Rich is an old wart hug, true story, true story, beat it And speaking of birthday, is happy birthday to Dak Prescott? Yeah, it's his birthday, everybody. Dak Prescott. Covino and Rich broadcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio, action packed hour of greatness.
Speaker 1: We're giving away prizes.
Speaker 2: We're playing Showtime Mahomes trivia, some NFL trivia. If you want in, you want to win a swiggy, remember to call in at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox or if you just want to chime in. To wrap up our discussion of when's the best time in life, in life to see your team win at all? Well, we figured out the best have to go to an amusement. Yeah, early, early, get the when's the best time to win? We'll discuss. We'll take your feedback live. Like you said from the Fox Sports radio studio, speaking of Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: What is what?
Speaker 2: Did the new coordinators say that he was like a work in progress.
Speaker 1: Or something still developing?
Speaker 2: Developing along those lines thirty two years old today still develops.
Speaker 1: A new head coach said that, oh is that's right to the head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we talked about that, like that's a backhanded compliment, sort of an insult. Well, it's like almost it's like saying, like you got so much more to give, but it's almost insinuating you haven't been giving it right. All right, So we're gonna wrap this up with your phone calls now. At eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox, Scott Scheffler says he'd give a major title up if the Cowboys won. Got us thinking, when's the best time in life, in your life to see your team win? Would you be insulted or find it acceptable? Let's say your girlfriend said you would you have so much potential if you went to the gym more.
Speaker 1: She probably does see that. I don't blame her. Fair all right?
Speaker 2: Uh want to go to the phone call, say how to Nick and Colorado? Nick, when do you think as a fan is the best time to have your team win the championship in any sport.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rich, you nailed it, man, I was.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: My parents are.
Speaker 4: Both from the Cleveland area, so I grew up a Cleveland sports fan.
Speaker 3: Nice hast that pass that curse on to my son and uh when they won the twenty sixteen title, my son was thirteen, completely into it.
Speaker 4: I of course have been into it for life.
Speaker 3: My dad, unfortunately passed away now was still there. And to watch that happen with the three generaate just I don't have.
Speaker 4: Any other championships compare it to because of Cleveland, but it was.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine a better one.
Speaker 2: All right, I can't tell you can't top that. You're right about that. Hops is still around, Tops is still around. You waited your whole life, and your kid was in that perfect pocket of you know, those were his heroes. He's collecting baseball cards and everything else.
Speaker 1: That's not fair, Nick one that argument.
Speaker 2: I don't want to wait till in my fifties to uh, to have the Mets win. But if it met, my son was like old enough to really appreciate it, and Papa Greg, Papa G was still around. My dad was still around. Yeah, that would be the pockets. I mean, you can't beat that story, so I'm not even gonna try. Thanks, Ni La. Let's say how to Evan Evan as a fan, when do you want your team to win? I know the answers all the time, But if you had to pick your twenties, your forties.
Speaker 1: When you're an old guy, like really old, Like, what's the answer?
Speaker 4: All right, Hey, guys, long time listeninger. I love you, guys. I love you, rich love you because you know Danny d You're the man van Bier freaking awesome in the corner and everybody does the freaking news death.
Speaker 1: All right, hold on, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 2: Sam just got really sad because he left them out in spot.
Speaker 4: All right, Sam, Sam's the man and that spot is the fucking o.
Speaker 2: G right, pause, don't don't dump his call. Just dump what he said, Yeah said we got was a good all right?
Speaker 1: Can continue on in the corner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sam's above man in the corner that I freaking like.
Speaker 1: All the girls tell us, tell us when's the best time to win?
Speaker 4: You guys had to them on there the best way to win, Like it's probably like early, like if you're going to see it, like I like to see in my twenties early thuries the World I remember my dad saw them, saw the Dodgers win right when I was born around I was born in eighty six, eighty eight. He always wanted to see us see a title together and he just missed out. He's killing the car crash, you know of like ten years before the Dodgers won. So he always promised me they ever get back to the World Series, We're going to go, no matter what the money is. And but he wanted to see them later in his life too, in it's like sixties and seventies. But I had one question for rich do you remember Suburban Commando?
Speaker 2: Of course I remember Suburban Commando. The hulks are at not as fun as I.
Speaker 4: Was watching that at five in the morning on tubue and it was making me crack my butt up, Like I think you should like watch that with your kids. Dude.
Speaker 2: It's one of the bait commanda. I'll put that on the list like a Hogan classic. Rest in peace, Hollywood, hoolks. There, that phone call is a roller coaster of emotions. Man, jeez, thank you, buddy. Who else do we go next? Let's go Jeff in Virginia Jeff. What's up, buddy?
Speaker 3: Hey Jeff, Hey guys, great great show. Thanks being with you guys, Thanks for taking my call. It's interesting you bring this up in relation to the Cowboys because I've been a lifel on Cowboys fan and I actually was nine years old. That's like my first recollection of really watching the Cowboys was in nineteen eighty one. I was nine years old. I remember the catch, right, you two and the Cowboys losing to San Francisco in the NFC Championship that was eighty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like one of my first sports memories. That's why I brought that up. When Rich talked about his World Series. When he was a kid, one of my first clear memories was my family members freaking out about Dwight Clark catching it like that, because I just remember the family reacting to it and like, oh, this is a big deal. I guess I was like five six years old, but I remember that.
Speaker 3: Crying crying, right, And then I suffered through the Danny White years, right, and then the one in fifteen season, and I was in college when the Cowboys had their run in the nineties and it was awesome. Right, you're such a You're such a huge fan, like when you're in college of everything, right, sports, and so I thought that was the best time to see them come back. And actually, you know, beat San Francisco in the NFC Championship.
Speaker 1: You guys got the best of us more than often. That was redemption.
Speaker 2: But now now your guy have I'm doing the math. You got your fifties years old? Is now a time where you like, now you feel like you really wanted or not a climate a street light pole at fifty something.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's been so many years of suffering now, right. It seemed like an eternity when you're a kid, but now the gap is the drought has been so long. It's just like I just I just I'm just happy if they do anything.
Speaker 1: Dude, less time, less time.
Speaker 2: Uh, the Cowboys won anything like none of us had phones, none of us had you probably didn't have internet. Thank you, Jeff. Let's go to Troy in Virginia, be Tritsa buddy, Hey Troy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y'all doing.
Speaker 5: Not too much.
Speaker 1: I'd say our age now because you.
Speaker 5: Can afford to go see them if they make it.
Speaker 3: I mean, in your twenties.
Speaker 2: You kind of ass out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what Rich was saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like right now, you know, if you're a middle aged professional, if you're forty ish and you got kids and you got you know, decent money, you could be like, hey, guess what, son, We're going to the game. Like that to me is like, that's the dream, that's the ticket. Yeah, So I think about it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's going to be I guess different for everybody. Yeah, if you got kids in they're in that pocket where it matters. I'm sure that adds the ads to the joy. So think about it. And man, Scott Scheffler, it's amazing he's such a winner because he's rooted for such a loser his whole life. And by the way, for all the Yankees fans, you could blame Covino. Do you know, Danny g might not know this. I was saying, the Covino Yankees curse.
Speaker 1: Do you know this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a pretty good time to win. My daughter, Melody was born right when the Yankees, it was what. She was born November two. The Yankees won the World Series November third, so I was still there in the hospital. So on back to back days, Cavino became a father and the Yankees won the World Series in two thousand and nine, and I said, you had the greatest week ever.
Speaker 1: It's over now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have once said, isn't the curse of Melody my daughter?
Speaker 2: They just have to go get someone pregnant. Yeah, I gotta break that curse. So, uh, we got to talk you about this Christian Wilkins story only because what the headline reads and what the reality is likely two different stories. This goes back to something that we often like to point out, there's always the truth and the twist, right, So it seems like social media, even media here on the radio, leads with the twist, like the spin, So there's always the truth in the spin. The spin with the story is that he was released from Danny's Raiders because he kissed the teammate on the head. Is that the truth or the spin? That's the spin. The truth is he had a foot injury that he failed to get operated on the Raiders Like all right, dude, this is the final straw beat it. Yeah, I mean he didn't rehab properly. In the timeline in which the Raiders suggested they spent a lot of money, the guy you know, signed one hundred million dollar deal. Now he's fighting for that money. The scapegoat story might be like, yeah, he was rubbing his teammates the wrong way and he kissed the dude on the head. The spin is always the headline, and the headline is he kissed the teammate and that's why he's not on the team.
Speaker 6: Well, you see the NFL reporters with their juicy write ups about this, and then at the end they're like, but that's not the whole story.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yeah, there's more to this.
Speaker 2: Christians, please, you need the just Alex Cora just said. Baseball wasn't there headline with Alex Corr talking about how baseball analysts a lot of times makeup rumors around the deadline just because they did juice. Yeah, yeah, that was a recent story this week. He has a past of being well, according to his colleagues, sort of a freak. They say, he's kind of a freaky dude. He's been pinching cheeks, like cheeks in the in the huddle. He was known for grabbing opposing players junk and like, you know, aggressively. When he was in Clemson in the NFL, he was kissing other players. When he was with the dolphins and everything. But I'm not saying in like a sexual way, but in like a freaky way, like in a weird way, like what's this guy doing, Like I'm gonna get in your head, right, getting your head type of way.
Speaker 1: So he has a history of doing that.
Speaker 2: So when he kissed his teammate and rubbed them the wrong way, that became the headline. But again this goes back to his foot but because of his antics, grabbing ass, playing slab ass. A lot of this is alleged, by the way, but footage I've seen it, but the headlines the headline of Wilkins out because you know, kissing a team at a in the head isn't really the full story. But with that said, it does pose a question here because I know your answer. You're man to man. Pet Peeves or his rich likes to call it the man to man no knows because I know Krino being that, being that he's like a prideful like East Coast Italian guy, half Italian, half Mexican, all the pride this guy has. When another grown man grabs Cavino's neck with his hand, like you know when someone goes behind you, like you know why, because I grew up in New Jersey. There's something about another guy nuput his arm around you, don't you get fresh with me?
Speaker 1: Almost taking his.
Speaker 2: Hand like picture some big fat Italian guy taking his big meat hook and that's exactly it and put it on your neck, like hey, you'll get over your guy.
Speaker 6: My uncle used to do that to me and my brother hate both of us would shake him off.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, and every big fat Italian guy thinks they're Tony soprano and they have the right to do that to you.
Speaker 1: And that and that would happen to me a lot growing up.
Speaker 2: Give me, I had a guy, dude, this rich Remember the story because I remember coming out on the air in my younger days talking about it with this fat botch of a loop. Took me by the back of the necks that give me a kid, and I'm like, what's up. He's like, you girl, you got over there? You bet it?
Speaker 1: They gab I'm like, who are you.
Speaker 2: You smell like sausage. Get out of my face. You got gobba gol on your cheek. And he was grabbed me by the back of the neck like you gotta they gave a kid, you understand. Look at me, you like, get out of here, Vinnie Pastor And it's that and you know what else they do too, and it's another man to man. No, No, they'll grab you on the cheek aggressively like you could. It could be a family memory. You're like, yo, dude, beat it your butter, your buddy, uh buddy's uncle Nunzio grabs you by the cheek, Get over here, get out of here with that.
Speaker 1: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: The only cheek grabs except the booty cheek grabs. Or if it's Billy Madison telling the kids stay here as long as you can, that's an okay.
Speaker 1: Man to man.
Speaker 2: No knows because Christian Wilkins kissed his teeth. The alleged story here is he kissed his teammate on the head like forehead, and.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, we don't like this guy anymore. Beat it now.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's clear issues, and there's clear things that you would say are assault, punching, spitting, slapping.
Speaker 1: But I'll give you one.
Speaker 2: I know Cavino hates and Danny this is like more of a disrespectful amongst your crew type of things.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had someone mush you?
Speaker 2: They don't hit you like they put their hands like on your head and push like like they mush you.
Speaker 1: That's like because then I would have an HR problem if they did that to me. Yeah, that's happened.
Speaker 2: That's one of those like I didn't hit you, but like someone gets in your face and they get in your face and they know well enough not to hit you, slap your punch you, but they give you a little like they hand on the head, like a little push you. Ay, that's so again he has hit always being the freaky What are those no nos to you? I would imagine that the ones I expressed are pretty universal. Who likes to be treated that way? Like get your hands off me. I don't even care if it's out of like endearment, Like I don't like that. So what are the man to man?
Speaker 1: No? No, you know what, I want to kiss you.
Speaker 2: I want to kiss you too, freaking me out? Name if I I thought of another? And it's a power move that I think we've all been on the receiving end of. But it's so blatant to me that it doesn't even work because I'm like, yeah, I see what you're doing. I see what you're doing here as happy Gilmot would see, I know what you're doing, and I don't like it. When did he say that in Happy Gilmour wont oh remember when he realized Shooter when he sent him up on the ninth hole in the in the sprinklers, I know what you're doing. I don't like it if you see someone give you like an alpha handshake where they they put their hand on top and sort of pull you in, like like, you know.
Speaker 1: What does that President Trump does?
Speaker 7: I was also thinking of the backslap, which you did a Drone Powell the Treasury secondary, like let's lower those interest rates, huh, like.
Speaker 2: Like like stand up for a second comunit, Like it's it's one of these moves like I'm going over with a handshake. It's like when you pull someone into you that's a tough guy. Yeah, it's aggressive and get over here, beat it. I don't like that when somebody gives you the dead hand, I don't like that.
Speaker 1: That's equally as offensive. I'm with you, Danny. So there's a there's a happy medium, like Rich's.
Speaker 2: Shirt size when someone goes to when someone goes to give me a fist bump, I grab their hands and I go Hong Kong you know that's.
Speaker 1: A man to man. No, no, I don't like it.
Speaker 2: It rubs me the wrong way when people I barely know, even when people I do know but barely know, and they like they ask you personal questions about your finances or how much you paid for the house, Like, dude, I barely know you. Like maybe a friend of a friend comes over. Yeah, nice place? Would you pay for it?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Mind your business? How about that? How about that? I got one?
Speaker 7: Sometimes this is okay, but if you don't really know someone, or they're like you're taller than you and they're kind of trying to pull some alpha move on you. They lean on your shoulder. Oh where they're like, they're going to lean on your shoulder, Like, why am I.
Speaker 1: Your support right here? No, don't on me, dude, No, no, no. Yeah. A lot of these are like you're trying to offa somebody.
Speaker 6: A lot of it's bubble space too, we learned as little kids, like we all have this bubble around us. Don't invade that space. So when somebody there's a lot of room around you and another person they stand right up next to you.
Speaker 1: I don't like that, Like, move back a little get out of my personal space.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, if you want to add to the list, eight seven seven nine nine on Fox. In fact, also call that number if you want to play Mahomes Showtime Trivia.
Speaker 1: We got some Showtime trivia for the last Swiggy foot leg.
Speaker 2: Mahomes will be here giving away some prizes. It's multiple choice, it's easy NFL trivia. If you win again, like Danny said, you win a pretty sweet prize. Could you know, Rich stainless steel Swiggy As we are forty eight hours away from two major things right, NFL kicking off the season, preseason style and the trade deadline in baseball. So Thursday is gonna be a big day. The number eight seven seven nine on Fox. We will play next right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna kiss you. I want to kiss you.
Speaker 2: Covino and Rich live from the West Side from the Fox Sports Radio studio. For over forty years, Tyrak has been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Ship Fast and Free back by free Road has their protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, Tiraq dot comly tire buying should be and don't forget After the show, Danny G puts up the podcast and right now, at every hour, you could be watching what you hear streaming live on the Fox Sports Radio see my sweet Canelo Alvarez, Team Canelo hat Broahtube channel. Let's go September thirteenth. Forget Bud Crawford, Team Canello?
Speaker 1: What made you go Team Canelo? Because he's my guys forever. Okay, it's gonna be a good one. Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Alright, Uh, you know what do we want to get into? This game's any year? What we got all the contestants lined up here?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Showtime Mahomes Trivia. Let's go the mostly lovable Patrick Mahomes. Truth is, I want everybody to love me, not just the refs. It's time for some NFL trivia. I'm here, I'm here, Yes, we know you're here.
Speaker 2: All right, Patrick Mahomes here to play Showtime Homes Trivia.
Speaker 6: Our FSR Security walking our broke Patrick into the main studio excited.
Speaker 1: Hey, you guys are talking about the best time to win? How about right now? How about this year?
Speaker 2: How about revenge Baby Revenge, Revenge, that's right, Redemption and revenge.
Speaker 1: Hall of Fame Game on Thursday. Excited?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am, and I'm excited to get another ring man, Justin's baby, Justin's baby.
Speaker 1: One more championship ring this year. I need four for this hand.
Speaker 6: Let's go, all right, let's meet the contestants. Twenty four time winner Rich Davis.
Speaker 1: Right over there, Yeah, buddy, let's goop. Nineteen time champion Dan Byer in the house.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 1: How about four time champion? Meet Pat Mahomes.
Speaker 6: Let's go, eight time champion Spotty Boy right over there in the corner.
Speaker 1: How's it going?
Speaker 6: And looking to winn A C and R stainless steel swingy our last one of this inventory? All right, dB, I'll use you for this. Would you love to travel to beautiful Raleigh, North Carolina, Las Vegas, Nevada, Paradise, California, Winetchee, Washington, Georgetown, Texas? Or Lake Tancy, Tennessee. Let's go to Washington, Washington.
Speaker 1: That is Phil? What up? Phil?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I like it? So the first guy to ever thank me for the pick. I appreciate that, Phil, Phil. What do you do for living there in Washington State?
Speaker 4: Heating in a repair?
Speaker 1: Nice man? Very cool? I all needed.
Speaker 6: Here are the rules for Showtime Mahomes NFL Trivia. The first contestant with two correct answers is the champ. If there's a tie, we have a tie breaker question. Your name is your buzzer, but you do have to wait until all three possible answers are read. If there's two answers in a row, we move on to the next question. Are you ready? Let's do it all right? Get it all Oh, it's a pleasure. I'm here countdowns on football season. Let's go. I would have hated to play in this one. Known as the Ice Bowl.
Speaker 2: This game was played between the Packers and the Cowboys nineteen sixty seven at negative thirteen degrees fahrenheit with the windshill of what A negative thirty eight degrees fahrenheit, B negative forty eight degrees fahrenheit or C negative fifty eight degrees fahrenheit.
Speaker 3: Phil phil negative forty eight? Yes, there you go.
Speaker 1: Ooh boom wowie zoalie.
Speaker 6: Halfway to the last swiggy Phil on the board. It's cold, it's so cool. All right, we move on to round two. By the way, just a side, not one.
Speaker 8: I don't know, Patrick, if you think this is interesting, My sister back home in Wisconsin sent me a picture of her thermometer this past week. He den index of one oh seven. So imagine the range of one hundred and fifty degrees from us.
Speaker 2: You know what, You're gonna have to add me to that group text, because man, that sounds hot.
Speaker 6: Oh man, sounds interesting for sure. That's so the sun to Alaska right there?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Round two about as hot as our season. So round two? What was I once quoted saying about taking risks? Hey, I only take calculated risks, otherwise I'd be intercepted in every game. B I believe in taking risks and not worrying about the consequences.
Speaker 1: Or see.
Speaker 2: I believe the game risk with my good friend Max Crosby. I played the game risk well my good friend Max Crosby at the coffee shop this season. What did I want to say about risk? Life's a risk? Carnalito? What's up, Phil? Yeah, Phil, I'll go with be Hey, I'll walk off.
Speaker 1: Winter swept the board.
Speaker 6: Oh mama, Phil, at least for this match of Swiggy's. It's the last one, and you do the honors. We're gonna mail it to Washington State for you.
Speaker 2: You might have to give this guy, some coozies. Thanks buddy, Hey, thanks, great job to go Phil later, Phil, all right, guys letter Patrick was like thirty something days.
Speaker 1: Yeah for the regular season, close, close, later, Cavino and Rich goodbye, good ba Well mama. I uh.
Speaker 6: When he butchered that last question, his voice almost sounded like Kovine.
Speaker 1: I know it's crazy, you know, interestingly enough.
Speaker 2: You know, forty eight hours from now, I said, we have the trade deadline in baseball that first game. Now that, now that you heard that Trey Lance is going to start, does anyone else still feel like they want to get a look at Trey Lance? Like, like, what a guy that? When they took about the biggest bust of all time? Whoa about Sally Scuds?
Speaker 1: At what point?
Speaker 2: Does what point does Trey Lance get put on that list? I know everyone has their favorites, but if he never a bounced to nothing, you got to remember what the forty nine ers gave up for him at number three.
Speaker 6: Oh, that list is crazy of all the picks and who those picks turned out to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean we love to say the same biggest bust of all time the JaMarcus Russells.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have the list his was the fattest bust of all time because of that big payday he got that was before the rookie contracts.
Speaker 2: I just feel like Trey Lance has sort of got by without a ton of criticists say not a lot of people talk about it, Yeah, for whatever reason. So hey, I wish him well man, Jim Harbaugh, you know, you saw what he did with some young quarterbacks over the year. So if something ever goes wrong with Justin Herbert Trey Lance in the wings.
Speaker 1: No, you know, let's go to him buy for an updates he was going on.
Speaker 8: We probably don't talk about it as much because the forty nine ers continue to have success where you know, and then the previous era that Danny mentioned, it would set franchises back five six years if you mess stuff that first overall pick.
Speaker 2: Because Perdy sort of alleviated all that embarrassment by being great. Yeah, and he helped Trey Lance probably not feel as much of a bust, So you're right.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, Yes, we do have some news from the NFL Commissioner, Roger Goodell, sending a memo to all of the league employees saying that their offices will remain closed through the end of next week, people can work remotely from home at this Following the shooting at three forty five Park Avenue in Manhattan yesterday, that's where the NFL league offices are located. Four people dead. One NFL employee was wounded in the shooting. New York City Mayor Eric Adams says the gunman was targeting the NFL's office, as a three page note was found on his body as he complained about the NFL concussions. Also claimed that he believed he had CTE, so there are tie ins in New York. Police say they believe that the gunman planned to go to the NFL offices, but entered the Raw Elevator bank in doing so. So there's an update on yesterday's tragedy In New York City. Ravens tun and Isaiah Likely was injured at the end of practice today rolled his ankle, and head coach John Harbas says he's expected to miss a few weeks of action because of that injury. Brown's corner Martin Emerson Junior, suffered an achilles injury. Reports out of Cleveland say the team believes that it is a serious injury. Speaking of the Browns owner Jimmy and de Haslam met with the media today, answering a variety of questions, including saying the drafting of Sudor Sanders in the fifth round was made by their general manager and not ownership.
Speaker 5: We have good process, okay. And if you'd have told me Friday night driving home you all are going to pick Shador, I would say that's not happening. But we had a conversation early that morning, and then we had a conversation later that day. I think we had the right people involved in the conversation. At the end of the day. That's Andrew Berry's call. Andrew made the call to pick.
Speaker 8: Shador Orioles and Jay's about to get underway in game two of their double header. Baltimore grab game one sixteen to four. Royal's designated picture chill for assignment, A's rookie shortstop Jacob Wilson on the injured list with a fractured forearm. Venus Williams, making a comeback to forty five year old, will play mixed doubles at the US Open. She still hopes to get a wildcard entry into the singles event, and Happy Gilmore too. Had the largest US opening weekend in Netflix history. Has forty six point seven million views occurred on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the sequel Guys Back to You TV.
Speaker 1: You know what that means?
Speaker 2: Writings on the wall, and it says for a good time called Rich Davis No, and it's it's saying that if forty six point seven million tuned in to see Happy Gilmore Too, whether you liked it or not, you're gonna get Wedding Singer too. You're gonna get maybe water Boy two, You're gonna get other sequels.
Speaker 1: What happened to Robbie Hart? The world needs tonight?
Speaker 2: I had a great premise, and I know the Sandman's friends with Dan Patrick, so you never know.
Speaker 1: Maybe Sandler's listening. What if you do Adam Sandler as Robbie Hart? Well, I remember medding.
Speaker 2: Adam Sandler has that deal with Netflix, so he has to put out more content.
Speaker 1: This is just too easy, I would.
Speaker 2: Sam's cringing because he hates these he hates these quote forced.
Speaker 1: Narrative, but there's a market for it. I love Adam Sandler.
Speaker 2: Don't give me what if Robbie Hart is all grown up and him and Drew Barrymore Julia, Yeah, she'd be in on it with Lee. So then what if Glenn Guglia is their neighbor and Sandler is now his kid is going to marry like Julia Glen Gulia's kid. And get this because it was a twenty nineties movie based in the eighties. If it's a current movie, it could be based as a time piece in the two thousands, flip phones, two thousands, everything.
Speaker 6: It's always about the character's kids, though, like, can they have some other way to do a story?
Speaker 2: Julia has an affair with with Glen Gulia and the villain Wentz. But the fact that that many people tuned in to watch Happy Gilmour Too shows you they'll tune in for Wedding Singer too. That's the next one to come, guarantee.
Speaker 8: I bet you no offense. I just want to see landline one again, Riches Davis. The richest thought of the kid picks up the phone.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: No, there's some kids fiddling with a landline and he calls his old phone number like or something as a kid, and his childhood self picks up like hello, And it's like a sci fi movie, very much in the vein of you remember that great Jim cavizl movie frequency. They have nineteen sixty nine Mets. That was a good one, great movie. So I feel like here it is Landline and.
Speaker 6: You tell yourself as a little kid, you'll never see another Mets World Series championship.
Speaker 1: But I mean they have Gary Carter and Tell and Greg Jefferys future star.
Speaker 2: You're just speaking of the Mets' I'm glad you said this because I have a bone to pick with Emil Jimenez.
Speaker 1: This umpire.
Speaker 2: Struck out Brandon Neimo on three balls out of the strike zone, and then we saw the water So strike out on ball four, and then later in the later in the game, after Wan Soto gets his manager thrown out because he puts up a fuss, because let's be honest, you can hate Sodo, but Cavino, you know, no one knows the strikes on better than Wan Soto.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, he has a great eye.
Speaker 2: And he gets called out on a strike three, I believe in the eighth inning, and it was sort of disgusting. It was sort of disgusting how this umpire, Emil Jimenez, punched out Sodo on a delayed third strike and then and then looked at him almost with the hopes of like go ahead, say something. It goes back to the old saying Rich, the old saying fool me once, shame on, you don't get fooled again. The best refs, umpires, whatever, officials of the game. The best refs are the ones you don't notice. It's like no one's there to see you. Get out of the way, do your job and beat it. This guy's made himself the main character. Emil jim Men has beat it and they focused on his goofy face for a good portion of the last couple of innings because they the calls were greecious. It was they want to close, treat them with this respect. They're doing a job, but like, it's not about you. He was very dramatic with his strike three call against Sodo. It was really inappropriate, dramatic. He was trying to show him up, dramatic on a terrible call. Yeah it was bad, and then it doesn't credits him, it really does.
Speaker 1: It makes him. Look did you see the stare at Soda?
Speaker 2: Oh I did, yeah, like like almost like taunting him.
Speaker 6: And as far as him having a great eye, Look look at this stat right here, Rich, you're gonna love this one. Soda is the first player to have a twenty five plus home run season with four different teams before turning twenty nine years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, listen, love him or hate him.
Speaker 2: Wan Sodo knows the strikes own and he got out a few times yesterday and it got me thinking. I read a stat and it said seventy two percent of Major League Baseball fans are in favor of the ASB system, the assisted strikes and balls, Right, only ten percent of fans say they're against it. So seventy two percent say yeah, seventy two percent of fans yeah, okay. If you talk about eighteen percent of people who are like yeah, whatever, only ten percent of Major League Baseball fans are like, yeah, I'm not for it. They've sampled it in spring training and they did it at the All Star Game.
Speaker 1: If each team.
Speaker 2: Gets, I know, if it was unlimited, it would be absurd. Yeah, but if each team gets two times a game, and if they're quick with it, you've seen them, they're quick with it. If two times a game, a batter could do the little tap on the helmet and immediately on the big screen in the stadium, which is what they say they would do. On the big screen, they show where the ball is and if the ball strike call gets overturned. If the team is limited to let's say, to a game, I guess it could be a key moment. You could save them. You could use it early in the game, you could wait later. Who would be opposed to getting it right? You gotta get it right. Everybody at home knows what's right what's wrong. It's an easy procedure.
Speaker 1: With football.
Speaker 2: Tournaments are more accurate than MLB, and they are because if you hit that strike so and you know it's a strike, you gotta get it right in those key moments. And I was rich, that sounds fine. I love the human element of baseball and I always will. But I don't see there being any harm if you want a crucial play or game determined by that some guy who has a personal vendetta.
Speaker 1: But get out of here. You just took the bat at of Soto's hand.
Speaker 2: ME tell you it's really hard to call a game. And I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what it's hurt. Major League Baseball umpires the fact that every game, much like the yellow first down line in football, where we forget that. Oh yeah, the players don't see that. You ever watch a football play and you're like, oh, he was so close, and it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: He doesn't see the yellow line.
Speaker 2: In baseball, that nice faint imaginary box that's on every game now, the umpires are pretty damn good when you think that they're calling a game ninety five hundred mile an hour balls come in there.
Speaker 1: These guys are great.
Speaker 2: I'm not taking a dump on the umpires, but I think a couple times a game in a key moment when a guy just misses one. There was there was a play in another game, I forget what it was where he was as down the middle as a ball could be and the empires like, well, everyone including the batter froze.
Speaker 1: Like I'm sorry what Yeah?
Speaker 2: But you know what's even weaker about it is when they doubled down on their mistake, Like there was an umpire recently a Yank game. He even said, like that one was on me, man, bad call. Yeah, he admitted it. That was kind of interesting to see. You don't know, you don't often see that. So hey, your final thoughts on this? If you if you think baseball should throw in the challenge next year. I think it's a no brainer. But before we break, let's go to dB with a little NFL note. He wanted add, what's up, Dan.
Speaker 8: Guys the news just in Trey hendricks some of the Cincinnati Bengals, does not have a new contract. However, he is going to report to the team's training camp. He had been away. This could be Maybe it's a good sign. It's better than what Bengals fans had seen lately in good faith. Perhaps yes, exactly, as Hendrickson was not with the team, also avoids fines if he's back with the team. But maybe this is a sign that the sides are closer to a deal as he is expected a.
Speaker 1: Report or something like that.
Speaker 2: Is it a wild when these guys so casually skip things that are like people's annual salaries per day.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, insane, just insane.
Speaker 2: So all right, thank you dB and your thoughts on the Wan Sodo Emil Jimenez storyline last night and should baseball. You got to watch it, you know, when we take this break, find the clip. If you haven't seen it, Yeah, just go to Twitter, look up soda. It's first thing that pops. You got to watch it and let us know if you think Baseball should seriously consider adding this next year. Right, We got more Covin and Rich next on Fox Sports Radio. Man, I just saw my homes in the kitchen. He's all fired up. Dude looks ready for the season. Man, If you missed Showtime Homes Trivia. If you miss anything, catch Covino and Rich on the app live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. For over forty years, ty Iraq has been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive. Ship fast and free back by free road hazard protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tiraq dot Com the way tire buying should be. And coming up on tomorrow's show, Ye halfway there already, Man, Midweek Major the biggest stories in sports and pop culture. We decide together are the mid week or major stories. Here on Covino and Rich and remember over promised our bonus podcast. The last two shows were great. We had Zach Brown on recently and we talked about Hulk Hogan's career. A lot of mixed emotions there, but we went over his greatest moments and we talked about the fight game and how pay per view will be no longer according to Turkey Ali Chic as far as boxing, that's not over promised. On Fox Sports Radio's YouTube page, for free, you could watch the show. It's quick, twenty two minute show, but enjoy it. Thanks again for being part of this, so that you don't think I'm only talking about my dude, Wan Soda. I found the play that everyone's talking about. Bad calls are not just happening to Juan Sota. The pitcher was Baltimore oriole Zach Efflin, and he was pitching, and they're saying it might be John Boy, your boy even got involved in this, that it might be the worst call ball strike in years. I thought the worst call was that home run they called foul. Wasn't that it's foul? He saw that Oh sorry gone. Clement was at the at the in the batter's box of the Blue Jays and this this ball was like as middle as you could get fastball middle, and it was they're saying worst call. Well you know why though, because the catcher wasn't positioned properly with that one. But it was a dead obvious strike. He was the position, he was set up a little outside so it looked like, yeah, but it was a perfect strike for sure.
Speaker 1: That's gone viral.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people love to complain, it happens all the time, but that one what want Soda was like drastically obvious that it was a personal situation. Yeah, it was out of spite it was. It was clearly not a strike. It was a blatantly delayed strike three call. And you can't let that personal element interfere in that way. I know everybody loves the personal element. So yeah, I think the ASB system should be incorporated for times like that, at least twice a game. I don't think there's any question. I'm part of the seventy two percent that says, hell, yeah, do it.
Speaker 1: Well. I think it would make the better.
Speaker 2: It would be hard to argue to a game because again, these aren't like stop the game, put on the headphones, going to tent goal, get the monitor. This is a quick like you saw it in the All Star Game when Edwin Diaz when the Mets was pitching. Remember, he's like go to the thing within two within like what five seconds tops, They're like strike like a matter of time. If they're doing it in the All Star Game, doing it preseason. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the fans in the stands at the All Star Game seem to really enjoy it. Yeah, it's cool. And I like your idea, Rich of having two. I think if the team gets both correct, they should get a third.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you get two right, you got to get both right, you earn a third. But I don't see why you want to attempt to even do this. It would be great for baseball, but hey, we talked a little baseball, We talked some football today. We talked a little of everything. In fact, we didn't need a chance to talk NBA. Now, there was a Lebron story that we were going to try to hit on. Maybe we'll get to that tomorrow. We'll get to it tomorrow. And to wrap it up, speaking of MLB, what do you think about Cal Rowley being the lead candidate now for MVP. You think Judge can catch him as long as Judge out ten they say ten days, but he can come back maybe earlier with a DH spot perhaps. Why why are we pretending that Aaron Judge still is not batting like one hundred points time? Yeah, Cara, I mean Aaron Judge was probably the premier candidate for MVP, but if he's out cal Rawley, the odds have now gone up.
Speaker 1: For him to win it all. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aaron Judge fatigue. I still think that it's hard to argue that Aaron Judge is the best player in Major League Baseball when he's even a little healthy. So, uh, your thoughts, anything you miss always you can find at Covine and Rich And we'll see you guys back here tomorrow on Fox Sports Radio. Like you said, we'll play midweek Major. We got a lot. We just start giving away new prizes. We got to figure out what's next now that we've lost all the Yeah, we're gonna bring back Briberall. We'll do that, and uh, until then, have a great Taco Tuesday. Until tomorrow, Riven the Baby, see you.
Speaker 1: In the Promised Land. Goodbye, have a great one.