Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Asia. I'm Stephen Carroll with Caroline Hepka Antwerth joined Vire Markets reporter Anthony Stevens. Anthony. A good day for banks around ASA then benefiting from the flows from taxtocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got off to a pretty good start even though tech has bounced intraday in the session. They're holding on today, gains led by the Japanese banks Mitsubishi UFJ and Sumito moment Misspishi SMFG. It's quite interesting to see the banks and tech trade in opposite directions in Japan pretty conclusively. People want to stay in the market, so they're just rotating from one to the other to play the Japanese kind of earnings growth and economic momentum. The story is very similar in Taiwan, with the banks benefiting from a massive wealth search from the tech boom there. But the tech boom itself is growing quite long in the tooth and you're seeing some pretty big drawdowns, so not much news on some days, and whenever that happens, you see the banks benefit.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's interesting. China's consumer slowdown, though, is hitting some big names in the Hong Kong market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this earnings roundup has really highlighted the weakness of the Chinese consumer. It's whether you're talking about the consumer Internet space or the PopMart or what have you. And a couple of the names that I've got hit today are in the EV space. You have choupanging down around eight percent. Neo as well. This kind of space has really struggled from the over competition in the Chinese EV space. It's good for the country, but it's bad for the sector in terms of profitability.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, China's hard engineering prices is showing up in earnings as well. Tell us more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two of the big mega trends in China have been the biotech boom in the recent times, and that's coming through on earnings. You're seeing pretty decent earnings from Wushi x DC, which is kind of a generics maker. They had a blowout earning Scott it was up around ten percent. And on the real hardware engineering side, you have a young se Optical also seeing some huge moves and Kingboard Laminetes beating on earnings massively. So the chairman of Kingboard Laminets in his guidance said that you know, this quarter is bigger than last year put together. And that's one of those companies with yangsh Opticle that is really benefiting from China's hard engineering. They have an integrated supply chain to make circuit boards down to the electric cloth and the component wires. So this is something that is very China specific. Not even Taiwan has that level of vertical integration, and they're really benefiting now as everything AI increases in price.
Speaker 4: Okay, a thought on the debasement trade for US. I know you've been writing about this this morning and today and thinking about whether this will help the euro the kind of concerns that there are around dollar dominance, dollars strain for maybe a return to sort of the weakness that we saw last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the euro is probably the last leg of the short dollar trade, right, so it's the one that doesn't have that much of a carrier difference. You know, the Euro is very dispersed in terms of economic outcomes, but now things are turning around on the Euro leg of things. So the ECB, it is important to remember, is very fiscally prudent, monetarily prudent, right, and they wanted to raise rates anyway in response to the Iran oil crisis. So you have a hawkish ECB into a FED and FOMC that is kind of playing weight and see and trying to control you. So you have that dynamic in play. And now the data in Europe is starting to change, right. So Germany's data is much better in terms of the industrial production, and there's signs from a sector basis that Europe's heavy industrials are really starting to play a role in the energy and infrastructure build out around the AI boom. So it's kind of Europe's time in the sun to get paid on the boom after the semiconductors in Asia, and that probably raises the bar to any further European weakness. Now Europe against everything else is a very different story because there's a carry trade on in really big size and that is helping out the G ten carry currencies as well as the emerging market effects.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.