Speaker 1: Episode three point thirty four Frugal Friends Book Club for money psychology books to read this fall.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity and life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we have four more books for you to read, all under the theme of psychology, and some are money psychology summer psychology that can relate to money. But I think you're going to enjoy all four.
Speaker 3: You don't have to read them all. Pick the one that makes the most sense for you in this season if you want to, I mean fall.
Speaker 1: But they were scientifically chosen long so true you might want to read them all because science.
Speaker 3: We have a scientific process that works every time for these book recommendations that we will tell you about. But first, this episode is brought to you by shortcuts, like watching the movie instead of reading the book. It's always better that way, don't you dare once start me for that, or avoiding all the traffic because you know a shortcut. Hats off to you if that's ever actually worked out, or chat GPT in your research paper that's just a lose lose shortcut. Though, if you want better shortcuts, the kind that actually work, subscribe to our friend letter. Get all sorts of curated for you freebies and tips, and shortcut your way to a new mug, tote, tea, or even a sweatshirt by Friends Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash friend letter. But then we have a referral program. Once you get the friend letter, you send other people to sign up for the friend letter using your link. It's all gonna make sense, you guys. It's science. It tallies who you've sent it to, and as you tally up people, even just one person, you're gonna get free merch literal merch send to your door. Is the first thing's a sticker, male, The next thing's a mug. The next thing's a tote or is it tote first, it's total sticker, tote, mug, te, sweatshirt fun. And if you do it all fast, you can work your way up to having that sweatshirt by winter.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm hoping. I think we all really need the sweatshirt. And you will find your updated progress in every single friend letter. It is customized to you because of technology, which is also can be a science. But if you're not on the friend letter yet, then definitely sign up Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash frond letter.
Speaker 3: And then start getting free stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, book club. We have done a book club since the very first episode of the show. It's gone through several iterations and since last year we have done three times a year. We will just talk about four different books that you can read in the upcoming season, and that has worked really well. You can see all of our past book recommendations at frugalfriendspodcast dot com slash books. You can also just listen to the episodes. They're all on that page. One for Fall last year was episode two thirty five, and they have typically just been personal finance books, but we wanted to theme this one as money psychology books, just to do something a little bit different, and I kind of like it. I think we might keep up with the theme thing. We will see in four months what happens. But we have an ultra scientific method for choosing the four books every episode. If you are an avid listener of the show, you know this scientific method. If you are new, welcome, you're about to find out the scientific method this is it. We have something old er than five years, a book that's new er than one year, something borrowed from our listeners, a recommendation, and something blue with a blue cover or blue on the cover. That is the scientific method we choose for the Frugal Friends book Club books. They must fit those specifications.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if they don't, they don't make it on this list. Yeah, and then they don't and we don't get married, not successfully anyway.
Speaker 1: No, that would be a probably a book lover's dream. Somebody will probably do this, I hope. Please let us know if you do. All right, So let's dive in first book something older than five years, this one. I can't believe that this is the first time that we are putting this on the list, but it deserves a permanent spot in the book club. And it is the one thing by Gary Keller. If you listen to our prioritization episode last week, then you got kind of a deep dive into the gist of this book. So the one thing by Gary Keller and j pompa is on is based on the I think they call it the refining question, but it is what is one thing that I can do now that makes everything else easier or a necessary leader. And this is a business book, so if you want to succeed in your career more quickly, I guess, or if you have a business and you want things to be streamlined in it, this is going to be tailored to you. But the ideas are applicable in your personal life as well. So whatever goal you're trying to reach can really be reached faster if you focus on one goal at a time. I'll read part of the description from Amazon because I think it does a really great job of selling the book. The daily barrage of emails, texts, tweets, messages and meetings distract you and stress you out. The simultaneous demands of work and family are taking a toll. And what's the cost second rate? Work, missedeadlines, smaller paychecks, fewer promotions, and lots of stress. And you want more. You want more productivity from your work, more income for a better lifestyle. You want more satisfaction from life and more time for yourself, your family, your friends. Now you can have both less and more. What a radical middle moment.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 1: In the one thing, you'll learn to cut through the clutter achieve better results. In less time, build momentum towards your goal, dial down the stress, and overcome that overwhelmed feeling. So we talked a lot about the refining question in our prioritization episode last week. But this book also goes into strategies. Once you have decided on your goal and that priority, it goes into how to strategize, And honestly, it might take a couple reads to fully understand, but maybe you're smarter than me. It takes me a couple reads to really understand. It's simple, but it's also complex. I think my only criticism of the book is that maybe they overcomplicate the concept of goals are great, but you need strategies to achieve your goals. Goals are kind of like out there floating around dreams, and strategies are things you are in control of. So like you can say I have a goal to make six figures this year, the strategies are and this is like straight from the book, is like I have the control over how many sales calls I make in a day. So if I want to make this much money, I have to sell this much in a year, and I will make this many sales. I convert it five percent, So this is how many calls I have to make per year, per month, per day sort of thing. So reverse engineering and creating strategies to get to your goals, that's really where this book shines. And yes it talks it's about work, but it teaches you how to put it in to your life and specifically your finances too. They do talk about your financial life.
Speaker 3: Did you listen to the audio version of this? Do you think that that's a reasonable way to move through this book? I?
Speaker 1: You know what, I listened to so many audiobooks. This is not one of the audiobooks I've listened to. I should listen to the audio version. Yeah, it was before I got into audiobooks. Nice, yeah, yeah yeah. Once I started getting into audiobooks, I stopped reading with my eyes.
Speaker 3: I would say this one just needs to be recommended because you'll understand Jen a lot more and the references she makes this book by reading it.
Speaker 1: Probably, but I.
Speaker 3: Think that this is something we could all use assistance with. It came for more to our attention in the prioritization episode that we just did. How important it is to even be able to identify what is our one thing and that doesn't come naturally to all of us. We do need a bit of a guide in that process to get better at prioritizing and then to be able to solely focus on that one thing. Oh yeah, and that one has a yellow cover, which is fun. Yes, okay. The next book in our scientifically proven method is something new or than one year, and this one is Mind your Money Insightful Stories and Strategies to help you reach your hashtag money goals by Janelli Espinel, and it goes through looking at your money, how to identify money goals and get after them by storytelling. So I'll just read a bit of the description. Most books about money are boring, they say in their description. I'm probably going to agree. Our brains crave stories, not seminars. Mind your Money delivers all the personal finance basics through insightful stories with a splash of SaaS. I do love me some alliteration and SaaS. Janelli knows how to make things easy to understand, which has earned her millions of views on YouTube. At miss be helpful. Whether you're frustrated with your budget, dealing with debt, or struggling to raise that credit score, this book will motivate and inspire you to finally reach your hashtag money goals. She happens to already have five star reviews on eighty one reviews, which is pretty great on Amazon so far. So again, it's newer than one year. I always feel the need, just out of integrity to say that I have not read all of these books on our list. This is more of those aspirational goals, and especially one that's very new. More so, this here's what we're putting, or at least for me, putting on my list of interests. And I am very drawn to stories. I mean, it kind of explains why I went into the mental health field. And so for those of us who want to be that person who will sit down and read a cerebral book about money and math but just won't and you know you won't, here's the one to pick up. It's going to help us under stand math and money through some storytelling, through some humor, through some laughter, and that I can totally get on board with. I want to hear it from the lens of other people's experiences. I personally do find motivation that way. So I'm excited about this one.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got to see her speak at fin con last year, and she has so much energy, like not in the over energy sort of way. I love her energy. And she is Brooklyn Born. She was an elementary school teacher, so she's got teaching at her heart. If you're familiar with Brooklyn Born Latinas, she is your girl. She's another person of color and personal finance that's making personal finance more accessible. And I love the fact that this is a story based book, because yeah, that is one of the reasons people like so many personal finance books are the same literally down to the chapters. There's a money mindset chapter, there's a saving chapter, there's a debt chapter, investing, they're all the same. But the fact that this is really story based was why we added it to the list. And I mean, I just loved, you know, the's energy and she does a lot of outreach for the younger generation. She's the director of educational Outreach for Next Gen Personal Finance, which is a nonprofit that is in Congress making sure every high school student gets a full semester of personal finance education, making it required by law in every state. That is her work that she does, and so I am obsessed with that. I love that, and so if anything, go buy the book to support her. But I think you'll also find that it is not like any other personal finance book that you do not have this personal finance book on your shelf anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Now something borrowed from our listeners. We will do an occasional poll on Instagram, like what are you reading or what have you read? What should we be reading? And a lot have you said in our last poll that we should be reading The Psychology of Money Timeless Lessons on Wealth, Greed and Happiness by Morganheusel. This is by far one of the most popular personal finance books on the market, and it's not even five years old. Like I couldn't even put it in the something old category if I wanted to, but it was something that people have recommended time and time again. So it's based on Morganheusel, financial journalist wrote this piece. I think it was on Forbes, but it was a viral piece on the psychology of money. It was a article, and so he has turned that article into a full book and the article. Honestly, if you don't have time for another book, I think the article is required reading. We will put the link to the article in the show notes, but this is nineteen short stories exploring the strange ways people think about money and teaches you how to make better sense of your life. So it's really personal finance as math versus personal finance as behavior and feeling. And it's crazy to think that people still think personal finance is math, like people think the best way to do personal finance is the mathiest way, when literally every study that's ever been done has created the field of behavioral finance and it is still one of the most popular financial fields for people to go into. So this book, honestly, I did read it, and while I don't know if it's just me, I really think that you could just do with the article again, we'll put the link to it, but so many people love it, and it's got forty thousand ratings, so many people recommended that I definitely wanted to put it out there. So if you read the article and you want more, read that book. It's definitely going to be for free in the library. Well definitely going to be there.
Speaker 3: And thank you for our listeners, because this truly does feel like something that should be on our list. It's so congruent with the messaging that we have that it's not just this static in a vacuum, do this, this, and that. I mean, we can talk about finance as it relates to every single other aspect of our personhood and understanding the ways in which the biggest, most important part of our body, our brains, plays into the way that we approach money, the behaviors around it, the habit formation, and how understanding our minds and behaviors is an integral piece to making and seeing real change with our finances. That the two can't go hand in hand, they can't be separated. I can't help but wonder for you, Jen if the article felt more like, oh, just read the article over the book. Because we've been talking about something very similar for five years, like where we feel a redundancy. We'll sometimes think, oh, then I don't need that, But that's not everybody's circumstances. Sometimes we need that kind of crash course additional information to really understand it. Versus you've invested six seven years in two really understanding integration of our mind with money. So it's probably a personal preference thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, part of me does think that that's it, but you would think after seven years of studying something I would think that a book would be warranted for it versus just an article, especially after said writer gets a book deal.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it can be said and it requires again, Yeah, well take a look. Let us know what you think. But I am glad it's on our list. I do think it should be on our list. And thank you listeners. Okay. The final tried and true category. This one is a stretch. Not gonna lie if you look up this book. But here you go, something blue?
Speaker 1: How is it?
Speaker 3: Something blue? Set boundaries? Fine piece. A Guide to Reclaiming Yourself by Nedra Glover to WAB And the reason I say it's a stretch is because there is one blue square on the cover of this book.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's It is also four colored squares, yellow salmon, and one of them is blue.
Speaker 3: Teal, white, okay, and blue, a little bit of blue.
Speaker 1: It's just it's got to have blue on it. Yes, we've amended the requirements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a slight stretch here because it's not primarily talking about finances, which I love, I am here for, but this one is primarily about setting boundaries and how do we do that in order to achieve this kind of lifestyle that's going to be most beneficial for us. How do we cope with maybe even toxic people in our lives. Sometimes we're able to get away from them, sometimes we're not. And we need to know very strong boundaries and how to implement how to enjoy rewarding relationships with our partners, friends, family, What healthy boundaries even mean? How can we say no? How can we be assertive without offending people? So the author Nedra is a licensed counselor and sought after relationship expert. Now I'm reading from the Amazon description and one of the most influential therapists on Instagram, so you may know her from social media. She demystifies this complex topic for today's world in a relatable and inclusive tone. Set Boundaries Find Peace presents simple yet powerful ways to establish healthy boundaries in all aspects of life. So it is rooted in some of the latest research and best practices using cognitive behavioral therapy, which is CBT for short. Side note, you have heard us talk about CBT on our podcast as well, so there's definitely a lot of overlap. You will be familiar probably with a lot of the concepts presented in Nadra's book about setting boundaries. So these techniques help us to identify and express our needs clearly and without apology. If you find yourself constantly being the one saying I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but then this book will probably help you to refrain from that tone over and over and over again when you're doing things that you actually don't need to apologize for, especially if you feel confident in doing them. So they also say that it can help unravel some of these root problems behind experiences of codependency or power struggles, anxiety, depression, burnout. And I can affirm this. I know you probably hear us talk about boundaries so often on the podcast, and it is because it's one of those very important life skills. Budgeting, money management, and boundary setting are some important life skills that if we did learn them in our youth, it is important to be practicing now and learning boundaries again, it's going to help us in every aspect of life, including our finances. So even though this book isn't specifically talking about finances, learning this life skill will help us when it comes to that because finances do intersect with relationships, partnership, families, and ourselves, our own ability to say no and yes to ourselves, what's helpful, what's hurtful, what's beneficial, what's not And so as we do that work of understanding boundaries at a broader level, we will then be able to integrate that understanding into our personal finance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we say that we are a lifestyle podcast that talks about the cost of your lifestyle. Essentially, how to save money on your lifestyle and afford your lifestyle in the future through investing boundaries is really one of those subjects that if you don't have the skill of developing boundaries, it makes it harder to do all of the other things that are important for your finances. This book specifically goes through the six types of boundaries. I don't know if there's just six types, but she says there are six types physical, sexual, intellectual, emotional, material, and time. And these are maybe four out of six ones that we talk about being frugal with is being good stewards of our physical space, our material sessions, our time. So I think if you really resonate with the being good stewards of all of your resources, this book by Nedro will help you create boundaries so that you can take action on being a good steward of those resources, because oftentimes it's not that we don't know how or that we don't want to, it's that outside forces make it really hard to do the things that we want to do. But that doesn't mean we're not in control of how we react to those outside forces. And I think that's where books like this, while not money related but adjacent to it, are really kind of like require reading for being good with money and just have the added benefit of being beneficial to every part of your life. I will note that she also has a new book out that is about specifically family relationships. It's called Drama Free.
Speaker 3: Is it blue?
Speaker 1: No, it's black. It doesn't even have a blue square on it. It's got other colored circles. But it's a guide to managing unhealthy family relationships. So if you've got unhealthy family relationships where there's a lack of boundaries and that is affecting your finances, maybe you are spending a lot of money supporting a sibling or a parent or somebody, that's also maybe a good one to queue up to read. That's a brand new one and.
Speaker 3: Would probably even help stars in some of those difficult conversations. We will often talk about having money conversations with your as an adult, with your adult parents. It can help in the intersection of finances so so much. It's very cool. You know what also helps. It is super cool. And it doesn't matter if it's old, new, borrowed, or blue. And sometimes it's none, sometimes it's all.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's by Bill Curtis.
Speaker 3: The bill of the week.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams.
Speaker 1: Maybe you've paid off your mortgage, maybe.
Speaker 2: Your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. That's bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 4: Hey Jen, Hey Jill, this Gin. Since listening to you ladies for the past year, I've been able to lower two bills, one being my overpriced cell phone plan. I called, threatened to leave, and they lowered my payment by fifteen dollars a month. My other bill is my homeowners insurance, which had increased tremendously, causing our mortgage payment to go up by two hundred dollars a month. So we called, shopped around, found a better rate, and was able to lower our mortgage payment. Thanks for all you do. Keep up the good tips. I'm loving it. Thank you, Hi, Jen.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. What what a great bill. I love these bills. When people do it, they make the phone call, they negotiate, and they see success in progress. And we've heard from so many people with this success in lowering cell phone bills or internet bills. But it's also so encouraging, Jen, that you've given us two bills of the cell phone which still takes a phone call and some guts sometimes and your homeowner's insurance. I know. I've been talking with so many people who are in similar circumstances where they're experiencing increased homeowners insurance rates that is drastically increasing their monthly mortgages, which is really overwhelming. So I'm so glad to hear that you've experienced success in lowering that bill too. Yay for shopping around, Yay for making a call and saving money. Well done.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have reminded me I actually have to do that with our home insurance that so thank you Jen for helping me out and me too.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do it too as a ripple effect you're doing. And thanks for listening. If you all who are listening want to submit your bill, if it has to do with calling, negotiating lowering bills, if it has to do with running into a bill, if it has to do with what life is like growing up as a Bill, and that's your name.
Speaker 1: As Bill Curtis. I'm putting it out there.
Speaker 3: Visit Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash Bill. Leave us your bill, and now it's time for you know.
Speaker 1: I put Bill Curtis's face on a tote bag and some of y'all voted for it, and they're your real friends, and the polls are anonymous, so I don't know who you are, but thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: And the toad bag is for the referral program. You can get the tote bag for free. It won't have Bill Curtis's face on.
Speaker 1: It won't spoiler, it will not, but it will have a much cooler design that you guys voted on. But it could have had just a big Bill Curtis head on it.
Speaker 3: Our real Lightning round is favorite most recent. Rea doesn't have to be financial, Jen.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's not. Do you want to go first, because I have several It's so good. It's the end of summer. Yeah, it's the end of summer, and it's like summer's my reading time. So I have several I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna have to ask you in the after show how you find time for this? Okay? Mine is you know me? If it's going to be pleasure reading, it's children's books or tiny books. All the other books I read are social.
Speaker 1: Work tiny books? What kind of tiny books?
Speaker 3: Tiny? This one Songs for Courage by Grace Noel Kraw and it is a tiny little book full of poems, and I think it's adorable. I found this first at a used bookstore and I thought it was adorable. It was very antiqued, jaggedy edges has some person's name in the front of it because it was previously owned, and they've marked up little poems on the inside of it. And the poems are beautiful and they have encouraged me through various seasons of life. Cute, and it's one of my go to gifts for people when they are experiencing grief, suffering, or loss. I think that poems, similar to music, can help touch a part of our personhood that just regular words can't. It's still words, but they're more beautiful. So there you go songs for courage.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, all right, So let me go down my list of the summer reading that I did. Oh my gosh, I was on a I didn't like. I mean, it wasn't all of them wasn't weren't for me. I mean, I think I told you guys in the last episode maybe that the Colleen I tried one Colleen Hoover book and I couldn't get through the first chapter. But I have been on a Taylor Jenkins read era. While everybody else was talking about Taylor Swift, I was exclusively talking about Taylor Jenkins read. And you might know her from Daisy Jones and The Six That is the show on I think Amazon Prime Prime because I did get a thirty day free Amazon Prime membership and I watched it during that time. So she has these four books that live in the same era, and I think kind of all of her books maybe like live in the same era. It's not like a series or anything, but it's all about like famous people in LA So they kind of all cross somehow.
Speaker 3: Are they real famous people? Are these almost? No?
Speaker 1: They're made up? Okay, So last year I read Evelyn Hugo seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo spoiler alert, It is I think the best one of the four. It was so good, so good. Daisy Jones and the six also good, but I think Carrie Soto is back. That one was my second favorite of the four, and then Malibu Rising third favorite.
Speaker 3: Did you read all of these this summer?
Speaker 1: Yes? Audio books, Jill, Okay, I don't read. I listen, yeah, audiobooks. I drop my kids off at school and daycare every day, well daycare of the summer, and I do chores and I listen to audiobooks.
Speaker 3: So your kids are listening to these two or.
Speaker 1: No, I will once I drop them off, and I'll play it when I get back. Sometimes when i'm running, when I'm like taking shower, getting dressed, getting ready for work. So my morning basically from when I drop my kids off till I start work is audio books.
Speaker 3: I mean this is helpful because I think I could have space for audio books, but when I go to my Spotify, I'm just thinking I don't got time to pick something. I don't even know where i'd start music.
Speaker 1: I'm on Hoopla, and.
Speaker 3: So this an episode like this helps, Like you have a list of recommendations boom, that's what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so these are available on Hoopla. I know a lot of people use Libby or Overdrive. I personally use Hoopla. That's what my library connects to. But yeah, all of these were on there, and all four of those were good. I liked them, but that was just the order I liked them, and Daisy Jones was my least favorite. Evelyn Hugo is my favorite. I also read Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. Very good. It's not a love story, but it's got love in it and it made me cry. And it's about gamers, like video game designers. I'm like, no interest in video games at all.
Speaker 3: I do remember you talking about this. Yeah, it is an interesting concept. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I read a few that I was so. The only one maybe that I didn't like was Bad Summer People by Emma Rosenbloom. That was about like one percenters in their homes on Fire Island, which I don't even know if is a real place. It is, Oh, okay, great, So not a big fan. I did like Happy Place by Emily Henry. It was it was good. It was definitely stereotypical like love thing, which I'm not normally super into. I think I like the Taylor Jenkins read books because they are very unique twists on love and they're not like just about the relationship, like the love relationships. Like I'm not a rom com person books or movies, but Happy Place was very romantic.
Speaker 3: We're doing a whole other, like half to this episode of like I know, I'm sorry, sorry, the question was your favorite most recent? I can't pick Jensen Overachiever though, and she's real over zealous at this list.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's one last one though. It's also a Taylor Jenkins read book. It's called After I Do, where a couple, a married couple takes a year long break away from each other to see if they should stay married. I really liked that one. I think that could be like helpful for people too, So I would say, of these my favorite, I think Carrie Soto is back and After I Do both Taylor Jenkins read and you know, where do you go for fictional book references like recommendations? You go here. You come to the Frugal Friends book Club episodes, because jen is going to say what she's been reading for the last four months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Jen's got this one in the bag.
Speaker 1: And none of them are financial.
Speaker 3: And Jill's always and forever going to say she's reading something social worky and here's a book of holmes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you come for the financial books, but you stay for the Taylor Jenkins read recommends I'm in my audiobook era.
Speaker 3: Wow, and we're all here for it.
Speaker 1: Yes, So thank you so much for listening. We love reading your kind reviews, and we especially loved this one from Jenny and Noel says Funny and Frugal a winning combo. Thank you Jen and Jill for so many episodes of practical, inspiring guidance on becoming and staying frugal. At its heart is the reminder that being a frugal is not being cheap. It's about making conscientious and intentional financial decisions. Jill's protective as a social worker is a bonus for me as I try to convince my social worker husband that we could change our finances for the better, even on his salary. The other bonus, laughing out loud, is these two good friends correct jokes and get a little silly. Thanks ladies, good as getting silly.
Speaker 3: Thank you Jeniah Noel Jill makes fun of me for doing so much reading. No, it's I love it. It's your you are goals. Thank you all for listening to us because you can't read us yet. Someday you will. Though. If you enjoy this show, please take a minute to leave a rating and review. Your enjoyment of it and description of it helps potential new listener friends know what the show is about, know if it's right for them. So we do love it. Thank you for helping us in that way.
Speaker 1: See you later. Gorugle Friends is produced by Eric Siriani.
Speaker 3: Jen. Yeah, I had a very frugal experience. I'm in my frugal era, which I has been for a long time. It's my entire lifetime.
Speaker 1: Thank god. I'm thankful for that.
Speaker 3: It was just my birthday and Eric got me many gifts throughout the entire weekend. I just kept coming into the kitchen and there'd be a new wrapped present, which is adorable. He's so amazing. But one of the gifts he caught for me was a new pots and pans set because three of my pans slash pots were very uneven, so it made cooking quite frustrating. That they weren't sitting flat on the stovetop, and so it was getting uneven heat, so certain things would be very cooked and other things would be hardly cooked. And I may do because you.
Speaker 1: Know me, I just make do in your frugal era.
Speaker 3: Yes. And one of my pots, my saucepans pots didn't have a lid, and so I would use a bigger lid upside down on it when I'm making rice because I don't have a rice cooker. I don't need all that. I figured out how to make rice in my regular pot and we good. But these issues collectively were making me like, okay, I need to solve for this issue, Like I'm cooking a ton at home and this is this is a nuisance. I was definitely open to figuring out how to fix it, and I did look up a YouTube video but didn't try to implement yet, and thinking that maybe I could just find a lid. Anyhow, Eric went the rout of research and getting a whole new pots and pants set, which was amazing, and I'm glad he had this kind of initiative and motivation to we're solving this now, and now's the time it's going to happen. I open it up, I am super grateful. That is my very first reactions. But then as I'm unboxing it, recognizing, I don't think I like these, don't I don't think I want this. I think I'm really happy with what I have. If we could just fix what I have, And he was there for it, recognizing, yeah, this is a big decision. We've had our pots and pants for eleven years, for as long as we've been married. They've worked really well. They're stainless. I don't need the non stick Like I figured out how to cook and things not stick to the pan. That's not a dig It's just a me personally thing. And I think I like what I have. And so then that led us to immediately implementing on the YouTube video I watched fix my pots and pans. There now level they lay flat. He found the lid for my saucepan that was missing a lid for fifteen bucks on eBay. That's going to get shipped in a couple of days, and for now with shipping, twenty dollars spent and fifteen minutes in the garage hammering out the unevenness of my stainless steel pots, and then me spending probably thirty minutes scrubbing the pots because now I was excited to make them all look brand new and they are sparkling clean. Thank you, barkeepers. I feel like I have a whole new, brand new set of pots and pans that work exactly how I want, look how I want, They are what I want, and hopefully I'm going to get another eleven years out of them. Ship in the new set back. That was a whole process putting these pots and pants back into the box. That was like Tetris and wow, yeah, I just and I'm not disappointed. The thrill of just getting something new isn't there for me. I really truly, both Eric and I enjoyed the fact that we can make what we have work and actually like it more than the new thing. And I couldn't be more thrilled. It was a great birthday present.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was a lot. And I didn't know to go, I have to go.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: Hey, I didn't know that stainless steel pants could warp, which I guess that makes sense. I also have stainless steel. Do you have calflon?
Speaker 3: No, they're accusin art.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that you can then bend them back. Yeah, without any special tools.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have known either. Just a mallet and a straight edge and spire plugs.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know either until I looked it up on YouTube. And now I also know. I mean that happened over the course of eleven years because earlier on in my early cooking days, I would put my hot pan under cold water immediately because I didn't I wanted it to immediately start to you know, take any brown bits on the bottom off. I wanted my cleaning to go easier. But also I did like the sizzling sound. I really enjoyed that. Just the eruption of smoke and sizzle was enjoyable for me in that cooking process. But it is what warped the pan. Now I know better. Now I won't do that. I'll let it sit on the stove for twenty minutes. Then I'll fill it with water and that's no big deal. Wow, And yeah, save myself two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that I know that now because I typically let my pants sit but sometimes I'll put a little bit of water and put them back on the stove so the water heats.
Speaker 3: Up, heats up Yeah. Yeah huh.
Speaker 1: The more you know, the more you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Happy happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I get to keep the things I want and now they work better. Whoo.