Speaker 1: A guest Sunday Sampler time, So we'll do the Bobbycast in a second, where I went through the top ten controversial country songs and a bunch of the artists were on actually talking about these songs.
Speaker 2: So that's coming up in a minute.
Speaker 1: In the Vets office with doctor Josie, she talked with Taylor Lawan, the wife of Taylor Lawan, who's a former NFL player. But they talk about navigating an aging pet and a farm with a ton of animals. Now, Morgan has a new podcast called Take This Personally. She has on two guests, one five time Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin and adaptive athlete Amy Bream, who was born with one leg. Both of these conversations were super inspiring, so make sure you go take a listen to the whole episode. But let's get started with a clip of this episode. It's Take This Personally. Here we go with Morgan.
Speaker 3: Take Personal Life Juelsman.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'm joined by Olympian Missy Franklin. Many would know her for her incredible swimming talent. She has a five Olympic gold medals, two NCAA National championship titles, eleven world swimming titles. The list goes on of what Missy has accomplished in her life and career, and I'm just so excited to welcome her to the podcast.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for coming on. How are you You're some so good, Thank you so much for having me. I'm so excited. I'm excited too.
Speaker 4: Did you always see Olympics in your future? Was that always the dream or did that not come true until a little bit later on in your life?
Speaker 6: It honestly was always the dream. I mean, we have pictures that I drew when I was five of me standing on top of an Olympic podium with a gold medal, and I think there's just something really special about the Olympics. For some sports, it's the peak. I mean, that's it. And so growing up and being a swimmer and having swimming really be an Olympic sport, that to me was the end all be all. This is one of the most incredible things. And to be named the best athlete in the world, it's just while representing your own country, I mean, just seemed to me like such an unbelievable thing to strive for an almost to a degree impossible, but I think it was because of that that it made it so much more fun. You know, when you set goals that scare you, it makes working towards them and getting closer to them such a fulfilling journey. And that was such a big lesson that I learned, I mean the entire process, but now especially being able to look back on it was. Yes, standing up on those podiums and getting those medals were absolutely unbelievable moments in my life. But when I look back on my swimming career, those aren't necessarily the first moments I think of. It's actually some of the smallest, maybe seemingly insignificant moments of dancing with all my teammates after Saturday morning practice and Friday night carbo loading dinners before the swim meets, like those small moments, and you really do realize that it's great to have a destination, to have a goal, but at the end of the day, I really is about the journey getting there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that journey has to be tough too. I know. You look at it and you can see all the successes you've had, and there's been Gosh, you have so many titles and being one of.
Speaker 7: The best athletes in the world.
Speaker 4: You have so much success in this sport, but there had to be hardships on the way of What were some of those moments where you were like, Oh, my gosh, is this going to happen?
Speaker 5: Can I do this?
Speaker 7: What did that all look like?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I would say those hardships really came for me in between the twenty twelve and twenty sixteen Olympic Games. I think leading up to twenty twelve in London, I was so naive and that really worked to my advantage. Like I was so young, I was sixteen seventeen years old, and I didn't really have a care in the world, right, Like, I was just swimming. It was so fun and I was doing well. So I trained harder and I swam faster, and like it was all just this very seemingly simple. Of course, it was a ton of hard work, but it kind of made sense, you know, Like I worked harder and harder and harder every single day, and I got faster and I kept achieving my goals and I had a blast while doing it, and no one knew who I was. I was the young one. I was the rookie on the scene. So my first Olympics was just so like no pressure, like let's just go out, I have a great time, Like we're here for the experience.
Speaker 5: And that's how I performed.
Speaker 6: You know, you could kind of see that, like I was just so full of joy and I wasn't swimming out of fear. I was just swimming because I was just happy to be there. You just love this story exactly exactly, And then things really changed over the next four years. I decided to remain amateur. So after London, I didn't accept any money, sponsorships, anything like that, because I really wanted to go to college and swim for my college team, because that was another dream of mine that I really wanted to see come true. So I went through that process and had two years at cal Berkeley, and then I came home to train for the twenty sixteen games, and that's when things kind.
Speaker 5: Of shifted for me.
Speaker 6: I think that year was probably the hardest of my life because I went from an amazing team environment and having been a part of a team and having a lot of balance in my life with school and friends and swimming. So it kind of really, for the first time ever, just honing in on training alone. And I think I really made that decision because I was scared. I really wanted twenty sixteen to be better than twenty twelve, and I had set the bar quite high in twenty twelve, and it wasn't just me that wanted that, but I started to feel those outside expectations and that outside pressure, which I had never really let get to me before. But I think once you compete and achieve at that level, it does get really hard to tune that out. And so for the first time in my life, I really stopped swimming because I loved it, and I started swimming because I felt like I had to achieve these things that were expected of me, and it became much more fear based out of not wanting to disappoint other people as opposed to just going out there and doing my best. So there was a lot that I struggled with during that time. Just a few months out from Olympic trials, I got diagnosed with depression, insomnia, anxiety, and eating disorder, like just a whole gamut of things that just came from essentially lack of balance, just training day in and day out, and for the first time in my life, feeling like my self worth was completely wrapped up in my sport, and if I didn't achieve in my sport, then I had nothing else to really offer as a human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're listening to in the VETS office with doctor Josie Horschak.
Speaker 8: One thing that we had talked about that I think a lot of people will be able to connect with and really resonate with, is I know how bonded you are with a cure, but I feel like just having her since you were a teenager and you know you had shared with me, like going through some like really hard family hardships with you know, family members passing away, and like having that bond with her. I feel like so many of us bond with our animals because of the own traumas that we experience and like the way we rely on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So I was eighteen, and honestly, if anybody who's a big animal advocate in their early twenties, I actually would say, get a dog. Yes, Like, if you have the means for it, it's it'll be the best experience.
Speaker 5: You ever have with a dog. I agree, before the kids.
Speaker 9: Come and the husband comes and all the other things come, Like, your dog will just do so much for you.
Speaker 5: But I got a cure at eighteen.
Speaker 9: When I had no business getting it on her, and I got her after my my uncle had committed suicide right after my eighteenth birthday and graduation, and then I was kind of like it kind of like diff Like I had a great childhood, My family is incredible, and it was the first time I kind of saw the bubble pop, you know, especially like you're coming into an adulthood too. There's just so much going on, and so at that time in my life, it was like, you know, the people who were my rocks were really sad, and so all of a sudden, I was just like, I kind of think I need to leave. Because I came from a small town. I was like, I think I need to go away for a while and go figure out who I am. So I moved to Calgary, which is like eight hours away from my hometown, and that's where I found her. And right right before I found her, my mom's boyfriend, like my stepdad of ten years, he committed suicide.
Speaker 5: Wow, it was just back to back. It was crazy. It's almost you know.
Speaker 8: When you're eighteen, like it's hard to process that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because he had two sons that were like my little brothers that were now gone, you know, because we didn't get to see them anymore because of his situation. And so I got a Kira, and a care kind of just fell into my life. And I think that like I got a curio. She was probably six months. She didn't come like from the best situation. I don't think she had a lot of agress issues.
Speaker 5: They I never know. It's like I'm thinking, like, oh, they're gonna listen to.
Speaker 9: This, Okay, probably not. They called her eat them like they wanted a different path for her. Okay, you know, like she had like a badge of the bone collar on and stuff. Okay, So I ended up getting her and we just I mean she came everywhere with me, Like we would go hiking if I went to I became a yoga instructor. It was the first thing I did after high school. And she would like sit on my yoga mat with me, and or she'd it was with winter, and I'd make a little nest for her and she'd sit in my car I was in class, and you know, anything that happened, she was with me. I never left her at home, And I mean, I can't tell you how many times I've buried my face into her fur, like she's got the world's softest fur. But she was always very and even now like a cat like. I love that she's facing away from the camera because that's exactly where she should be because she doesn't care about people very much unless unless she truly bonds with you, and then you're almost.
Speaker 5: You feel chosen. Yeah, I have so many of my friends.
Speaker 9: Like the day that a Kierra passes, if I was to throw a funeral, they'd be like five people, but they would be crying so hard that.
Speaker 5: They'd be like an ugly cry. Her chosen circle, small circle exactly.
Speaker 9: I think that, And I said this to you that I think that when building my foundation app from the grief that I was feeling at Kira.
Speaker 5: At Kia was like she was your girl. She was a lot of those bricks.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I assume, especially because when I talk about it, that when she passes, I think some of those bricks will fall.
Speaker 5: It's hard.
Speaker 8: I mean, being in your early twenties and eighteen nineteen, twenty twenty that's hard enough, and then having you know, losing people on top of that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you're discovering yourself, you know, And so like I was never alonecause I had a Kira. So like if I want to go for a hike, I could, you know side of Kira, If I want to go for a kayak, I could. And she was always down for everything, right, That's what I loved about her, Like I mean, she moved to Florida with me, then we came up to Nashville and she's you know, I always had this thing with her that I needed her to meet all my kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not that she loved kidser, she's just really good, Like this is about me.
Speaker 9: Has like you got to meet all my kids, and me and my husband have been gone to playing number three and she's actually like a big part of that because she's getting slower and that's been hard for me to swallow. Like she lost her eye to cancer three four years ago, and that was kind of the first okay, like she's not invincible, you know, like the day's coming and you know the days it's like I have, the day is shorter to win. I don't have her to win, I did, you know what I mean? Like that's around the corner. And so when she lost her eye to cancer, that was an eye opening experience. But then all of a sudden, I went through something weird, and I don't know if anyone would be able to relate with this. I carried guilt about it, but I found that I avoided Akira for a while.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've had a lot of clients.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not to me, and I didn't notice it, but I found that, like I gotten a routine with her, but I didn't like go see her or like do things with her. I kind of avoided her. And it was because she was aging.
Speaker 5: And I did like a coping mechanism almost yeah, and I didn't know I was doing it.
Speaker 9: And then one day I kind of had to like go to the terms of like, you know, she's gray, she's white, she gets up slower, she's different. You know, she's not who she was in her prime. And I had a good, solid cry about it, and then we even good. Ever since we're back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's hard to they've been She's been with you such a huge part of your life, and trying to picture life without her, I'm sure feels impossible.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't remember life before her, you know, Like it's like majority like my whole adult life she's been in it, you know, And it's like before her, I was a kid. Yeah, and so like that's just as hard as this grief will be. I will I mean, I'm so thankful, yeah, you know.
Speaker 8: And it's like she walked you through your hardest some of your hardest days, I'm sure, and now look at this beautifull life you have from when you were eighteen, and so she's gotten you to where you are and when it's her time, you know, she'll leave you better than she found you.
Speaker 2: Girl crushed from a little big town.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but was it ever about lesbian love?
Speaker 1: It's about a girl crush. Yeah, okay, I mean that's yeah, Okay. That's why I was kind of controversy.
Speaker 10: Because I remember at the time as people were just like, well, no, I mean, it could just be like I have a just crush on a girl, not in a loving way, but like, but.
Speaker 1: What does that even mean? A crush on a girl that's you. You don't have to be a lesbian but have a girl crush as like that in the middle ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you got.
Speaker 10: To find like, I have a crush on you, dude, And I'm not trying to.
Speaker 1: Ever say that I got a boy crush, and then people will be like, oh, what you're saying.
Speaker 2: What am I saying?
Speaker 11: Tell me?
Speaker 2: I know what you're saying. You're staring me deep in my eyes.
Speaker 1: So people saw it as encouraging homosexuality. I was a bit a part of this story too, because I was the first one to play it. But it was bigger than just that, because a little bitdown had to deal with it. And so here's episode sixty six. Karen Fairchild, a little bigdown, talked about how they handled the backlash.
Speaker 12: I've had people in the business stop me and go man, that was a good one. Y'all did, like, woul do you think that we would actually do that? A couple of weeks before trying to ward off some of the negativity of just like moms that didn't think they wanted their children to hear I want to taste her lips in the morning on country radio and they were calling into complain, and so we were getting on there saying, you know, oh, it's a song about jealousy, and having to try to like get in the stations to play it that were thinking about dropping it because of the negative calls.
Speaker 2: So I want to taste your lips and come on, that's not that's.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, you know that definitely crosses that line.
Speaker 2: That's great you want to cross it grade. I have no problem with the line.
Speaker 10: I'm just saying that that makes it a little different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot that line too. I would have used that when I was trying to counterpoint Garth Brooks we Shall be Free?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, big time.
Speaker 2: They say is most controversial song in the catalog. Why I mean we Shall Be Free? Was you're a big Garth guy too.
Speaker 10: I am a big Garth guy. But I mean I was young when We Shall Be Free came out, But I think I even then I understood that it was, you know, just freeing people from not how to word this, I mean, is it like I think it was racism part yeah, part of right, absolutely, and that was a big part of it, just like you know, so you're all equal.
Speaker 13: Yep.
Speaker 2: So that's exactly what it was.
Speaker 1: So it's, by the way, one of his only songs to ever not even land in the top ten because stations wouldn't play it.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: But the song and the video imagine a world where there's no racism, to homophobia, no violence, but stations wouldn't play it.
Speaker 2: Wow, And I believe that's the video, the super Bowl video.
Speaker 1: That's it where he refused to go on to sing the national anthemunless they play the super Bowl.
Speaker 13: They showed you.
Speaker 10: I mean, that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: And then they have a new rule now where they always have.
Speaker 10: A backup, a backup performer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a case.
Speaker 1: Because he was like, hey, Joby there, Yeah, bon Job's in the crowd. They were gonna go ask on Joby to do it, but Garth was like, I'm not going to sing it unless you play the video like last minute wow.
Speaker 2: And they did. They played it, played the video.
Speaker 13: Good cast up, little food for yourself.
Speaker 1: Life.
Speaker 2: Oh it's pretty bad.
Speaker 13: It's pretty beautiful, beautiful for.
Speaker 1: A little more exciting, of course, said he can.
Speaker 2: You're kicking it with four with Amy Brown.
Speaker 14: So let's jump into the dating side of divorce. And I'm sort of new to that layer. My ex started dating almost immediately, which I guess is pretty common, and I have been slow to join the dating party. But what are your thoughts on how do you start that process and when do you know that you're ready?
Speaker 11: Well, let me comey at this by saying that I think most people aren't ready when they get separated to date again in a serious way, or look for a serious relationship. I think that it takes some time and introspection to look and say, Okay, I've just failed at a marriage which I didn't think would happen. Whether you're in it for a few years or twenty years, that's a major event, and I think you have to take a responsible perspective, meaning what was my part? You can't point the finger right at your spouse and say it was their fault and therefore I'm ready to date again. It takes two to tango right. You're in a relationship with someone. There are cases obviously where there's a few so there's something unusual. Well, obviously that's different, But I'm talking in a decently normal relationship. So I think you need to take some time and understand who am I at this point in my life? What do I really want? What have I learned from the relationship that I'm getting out of. Because if you take all your hurt, roll that up and go forward into the apps into a new relationship uncertain of what you want, you're just going to bring all that crap to someone else. Hurt someone else, can puse someone else. Now I'm not judging okay, because there are people who rebound immediately and start dating, go and create on the apps, and it's an individual choice. But I think personally, from what I see in my experience, you need some time. Trust your intuition. You will know when you are ready, but it may take some time.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I think that my fear around realizing that I was going to get divorced was knowing, Okay, I don't want to end up like my dad who was married four times and going from one relationship to the next.
Speaker 11: I know guys who've been married four times, and I mean, that's that's tough.
Speaker 14: Are apps like the way to go when you're thinking about dating? I know you mentioned apps like a couple of times when you threw that out there, and I guess for me, apps seemed a little bit weird because they came about when I was married, and so I never used them, and so now being single in my forties and thinking about getting on an app, it's very weird.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, totally weird. I'm at fifties. So when I was dating my ex and got married, no one used apps, and now it's it's just par for the course. And I think there's a usefulness to them. They are apps that are more selective than you know that you've got to pay a bit more for and I think that it's a part of the game, but it's also a bit of a drug. And I think most people who had been on them for a while or completely sick of them. But my wife and I connected on an app. So when I met my wife for the first time in the spring of twenty twenty, this was like a COVID date amy that COVID had hit March of twenty twenty. We took a walk in April of twenty twenty. And I'll give credit to Bumble, which you know bumbles, the app where women get to decide if they want to connect with you. For all of the negatives that you would hear out there, I would thank that app for my marriage and for my relationship. But I think that you've got to know who you are and what you want and be overt about it and kind of hold to some standards as opposed to just going crazy and you know, kind of meeting three people a day and you know, or worse.
Speaker 14: That sounds exhausting.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I mean I think they're exhausting, and I think the in dosents very healthy and important part of getting back out there because the personal networks that got disrupted during COVID. Many people live in smaller towns. Even a big city becomes a small town on the apps. Maybe not New York City, maybe not LA. But I've got friends, for instance, in Knoxville or Cincinnati or that are you know, like a small to mid size city, those become small. I mean, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, south of San Francisco, in a suburb, and I remember when I was on the app Samy. I was running a fairly large company at the time, and I didn't think about this, but I put myself on the apps. I got out there and I started seeing people in my company on the apps, and I thought, oh, they're seeing me. Of course, because I'm seeing them. What the heck. So it's not what you think in some respects, but I think an important part of the mix.
Speaker 5: The thing is too.
Speaker 14: Like you said, you're seeing them, they're seeing you, and it's like, Okay, we're all trying to figure this thing out. I've only done hinge and let me tell you something that makes me cringe. And maybe you're into this. I don't know, but you know the little how you have the option to like say something and you can hit the voice yes. To me, it's like less is more like I'd rather just know sort of the fact about you, what you're looking for. You can be direct in certain things, but then those options that allow you to get a little bit more personal, Like anytime I hit play, Like sometimes for entertainment, we would just hit play and like listen to what they would say, and the voice recordings always made me cringe. Like on the profile, it wasn't a message like to me, it was just on their main page like they'd tell some story or say a joke. And any thoughts on profiles.
Speaker 11: My biggest thing for a profile would be be real in terms of who you are. If you have kids, celebrate that you have kids, if you have certain religious faith, put it out there who you are in terms of what you really like to do and how you spend your time. Let people know who you are. Do I want to have more kids, so I not want to have more kids. Anything that helps select out the wrong people and select them the right people. And in terms of that voice piece, I mean, you're you're a personality, So what people are going to do is they're going to try to backwards engineer googling you and finding you right, which is not that hard to do. It's pretty easy to find people in terms of who they are and match them up with their profile. It's the other thing I think you should expect, but do what you feel comfortable with. You know, a lot of pictures are you know, quadruple filtered and don't really look like the person, which is another thing that I recommend against.
Speaker 14: Oh, putting up filtered photos.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean filtered. There's filtered, then there's like altered. That's another big aspect that I think is a negative.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it live.
Speaker 15: Oh the one, two, three, sore losers?
Speaker 13: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports. I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 15: It's Sison. I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the north side of Nashville with Baser, my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops, hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined.
Speaker 2: Over to you, coach.
Speaker 13: And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. Right, baby Box don't like being called baby box, but anyway.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we learned on the podcast also when he tried to throw his trash right next to my feet.
Speaker 13: He started kindergarten and we started putting him on the bus. And let me tell you this, dude loves the bus. Night nanny can't drive. Now night nanny can't drive, can't drive, doesn't have a has to get home. You know, their shift ends at seven, bus comes at like seven thirty, seven forty five, something like that. I don't know. But he told my wife after four days on the bus, we always meet him at the bus stop after school, see him get off the us, give him big hug. Let's go dude. You know guess what, he'll never remember that continue. After four days he told my wife, oh no, oh no, no, he said, this is this is bad. She was waiting for him when he's good. This is bad. After the fourth day of the bus she's sitting there at the bus stop. It's a Friday afternoon. I was on the golf course and she texted me Hey, you're going to be back for bus stop pick up. I said, nope, not going to finish in time. She said, okay, that's cool, see when you get home. And when I got home, she goes, I was waiting at the bus stop and he came bounding down those stairs off the bus and he gave me a hug. Oh no. He looked at me in the eyes and said, Mom, I don't want you to wait at the bus stop. I know, I knew it.
Speaker 2: They grow up so fast, dude, he heart. He doesn't watch you guys around.
Speaker 15: Okay, so I'm gonna miss those four days. He told you to get the inside. Dude, I don't need your ass out here.
Speaker 13: My wife said, oh, I said, well, what do you mean? He goes, Mom, just stay on the porch.
Speaker 15: Dad's already in the shadows.
Speaker 13: And she goes, but it's I like to see you get off the bus. He goes, it's only four houses, Mom, I'll just walk home by myself.
Speaker 15: Oh my gosh, dude, cat's in the cradle in the silver spoon.
Speaker 13: And my wife's heart broke into a million pieces. I'll wait until he kisses another woman. And I mean, she said, oh my god, I knew he was going to grow up, and I knew that he was gonna want to do things. I'm sorry, she said.
Speaker 15: He said, what, honey, after four days and you missed out on it.
Speaker 13: He's already kicking me off the bus stop. What about your dad? Old pal?
Speaker 2: You care if I'm down there?
Speaker 13: Four days and he's already had enough of me going to the bus stop.
Speaker 15: With dude, it's cooler you walk home on the sidewalk, then you wave to the pearance on the patio or whatever.
Speaker 13: Then he thinks he's a badass. All of a sudden, he has all his independence. We had a babysitter, and he tells the babysitter, Oh, yeah, I'll be back. I'm just gonna go ride my bike to my friend's house. Excuse me, we don't let you do that. Well, no, he's never wanted to do that before. But all of a sudden, he's been in kindergarten for five days and he wants to go ride his bike to his friend's house. Yo, man, Yeah, out riding. He's kicking us from the bus stop. You're about to pull up. He's riding his bike to friend's house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dad, we'll just pull up. I'll let you know when I pull up.
Speaker 13: My wife didn't agree to the bus stop thing. She said, I'll wait two houses down.
Speaker 15: Yeah, because also, I mean, listen, son, I love that you're growing up. You're gonna get kidnapped in these streets.
Speaker 13: No, I'm not worried about kidnapping. That's weird. I don't worry about that. Oh, because you know, most kidnappings are someone that you know, like stat, Like, if you look it up.
Speaker 15: You're like bazer dude.
Speaker 2: She looks over at me.
Speaker 13: You know, most of the.
Speaker 15: Time when a woman gets killed, it's by her own husband. I'm like, nice, stat, I'm not gonna kill you. I'm going to bed, good night, thanks for bringing She looks righty like I'm gonna killer. I've got better things to do. I'm a little preoccupied with the big show. Trust me, I'm not planning a killing.
Speaker 13: Yes, sorry, good We got Landy Wilson coming in next week. I can't I can't miss that. Have you ever seen me when I come home.
Speaker 15: I'm dog ass tired, Like I'm the least threatening person there is. You could easily kill me with a fucking butter knife.
Speaker 13: Keep that. Yeah, you have a better chance of killing me because I go to bed purs like, I go to sleep a lot earlier than you do, so you could probably take me out if you wanted to.
Speaker 15: Trust me, I'll turn the knife are out and put it back in the drawer.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I gotta do that. But then we got an incident on the bus. Is that worth a commercial break? Oh, we're going into it. He gets off the bus and he comes jogging. You know, we gotta have a name for this segment. And he gives us a big hug and he's like, I'm not the last one on the bus today. And I'm like, what, because he's always the last one on the bus. He's the last stop.
Speaker 2: Dude, what a brutal break.
Speaker 13: And he's like, yeah, Pamela is still on the bus. And I'm like, but Pamela lives on the front side of the neighborhood, like her stop is one of the first ones. And he goes, yeah, she got off the bus and went to her front door, but her door was locked, so she had to get back on the bus. He brought Pamela home and I'm like, oh, like, so her parents weren't there. He goes, I guess not, but she doesn't have anywhere to go. He's already bringing Pammy. And my wife's like, oh, well, let me call Pamela's mom. Luckily my wife knows the mom calls her says, hey, you know, Pamela got off the bus at your house, but the door was line, so she's back on the bus. And she said, oh no, no, no, she was supposed to stay it after schoolcare. We're both at the office today, so there's no one home. Yeah, your kids bounce around Broadway. So the bus makes a loop around the block and I have to wave down the bus flag it down. What a time in the streets, dude. And the bus driver's like, oh, well, you take Pamela. And I'm like, yeah, Pamela can come with us.
Speaker 15: The bus drivers like, I'm making like twenty an hour, can y'all people seriously pick off?
Speaker 13: And so Pamela came bounding down the bus, had a little bit of fear in her eyes, like, oh my gosh, Like where am I supposed to go? And so she came to our house. I'm your new dad, and we gave her a little snack, We played a little bit. Mom said, oh, her dad's gonna come get her. You know, he has a stopping point he can come and finish his work from home. So he shows up at the house and he's like, all, hey, Jim, what are you doing. Pamla. You were supposed to stay after school. She goes, I forgot I got on the bus. And he goes and he asked me. He goes, so, why'd you get her off the bus? I'm like, well, what did you I mean, you guys weren't home, Like the door was locked. He goes, Oh, I just assumed the bus would take her back to school. Parents in twenty twenty four, now that sales call was a little bit more important than your kid. I'm like, so you would have rather me just left her on the bus, And I hope the bus was gonna just take her back to school.
Speaker 16: Hey, it's Mike de and this week a movie Mike's Movie Podcast. I head on Luke Hemsworth. He's the brother to Chris Liam Hemsworth. I talked him all about how he and his brothers got started acting. I think we bonded a bit because me and my brother both started out playing music together. That was kind of our dream. It seems like acting was that for his family and it worked out a lot better for him and his brothers than it did with me and my brother. But he's still doing the music thing. We also talked about the physical toll his new movie Gunner took on him. So be sure to check out this full episode a Movie Mike's Movie Podcast. But right now, here's a little bit of my interview with Luke Hemsworth. I gotta imagine as an actor, doing an American accent is probably hard.
Speaker 13: What word would you.
Speaker 2: Say in the English language?
Speaker 16: An American accent is like the hardest to get down where it's like, oh, that kind of gives it away. Then I'm Australian.
Speaker 2: There's a few.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and very early on in your career, the people are quat uh you know qua liberal was telling you that when your accent is bad and what where is it pulping out? One of them for me is is is we say, being in Australia, where have you been? BWn?
Speaker 13: Where's the American side?
Speaker 3: Ben? Where you been? That's a dead givea wires is when you're doing your accent and then those kinds of words slipping. But I actually I go but I got what let go of a job very early and it starts because my accident wasn't good enough, and so I spent I spent a lot of time and effort American sure that it's it's as good as good as they can be.
Speaker 17: Hopefully, Hopefully I put all those things to bread. It's kind of been grinding down. People who live here at Straka are like, why is your accident sound weird? Because there's just americanisms that I've part of the way that I speak now.
Speaker 16: I was talking to Dmitri about the movie and how it was kind of nostalgic for me, reminding me of movies that I used to watch with my dad. Because not really in the movies at all, but if you put on an action movie where it's people beating each other up, he's all in on it. And for you, who are those action stars that maybe you watch as a kid of like, Oh, someday I want to be an actor like them in a movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I love I love Van Dam I love yeah everything that he did. You know, I remember watching Kickboxing and courting every word from Blood Sport. I think I think I still do with a couple of my buddies that we used to watch it with. Saloon you know Schwarzenegger. I think you know, I think Terminator two and Terminator Terminator one and two or two of the gross movies ever. Aliens. Yeah, I I those those action films of that that era were so fundamental. I think in my career that were that were a big part of me.
Speaker 13: Wanted to you wanted to just play as.
Speaker 3: A human bringing too. You know, you're you're out there emulating there's these men who are who are men who are getting the job done. You know I'm doing it with wonderful one liners out the side of their mouth. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bruce Lee too.
Speaker 3: I really loved Bruce Lee.
Speaker 16: Growing up, I wanted to be a rock star, and my brother and I started a punk band when I was like thirteen years old. I played guitar, he played drums, and that was like always a passion of mine. And it was because you know, with me and my brother doing something, you and your brothers are all actors. Was that like a thing like you all wanted to be actors? Or did somebody get the acting bug first? How did that all just unfold?
Speaker 3: I think we just all love playing and you know, like you said, you formed the punk band and we we would just we would role play. We would make wooden swords and wooden guns, and my mom would hide the TV.
Speaker 2: You literally carry the.
Speaker 3: TV downstairs and put it in the in the wardrobe, and we would have no TV. And so we were forced to forced to, you know, ride our own strips, and we had flood guns and all sorts of stuff. And would you I would dress my brothers up and you know, tell them to run because it will hurt more the closer you are, you know, Like, I think I think that's a big part of it. I think a big part of it is neither none of us are any good at anything else either. But I went to university, you know, I I went and studied that. Maybe I started it, but I think three years of the contemporary arts, majored in drama, and then onto, you know, straying shap operas and straying film and television from there and then finally to the US. But yeah, I don't know what it is. I don't know their answers to that.
Speaker 17: Other than that, other.
Speaker 18: Than we all like to just look to have fun. But you know, I also think I also think it's excuse my language, you know, acting is acting is very, very difficult, and I think that's an attractive part for all of us as well, is that it mixes both the ability to have a good time with something that's incredibly precise and an inventive and very hard to do it, how to do well.
Speaker 16: So somewhere out there there's a script that you wrote with all your brothers. Did you, guys, ever film any of that? Is there like a video, like a like a test movie out there?
Speaker 13: One day?
Speaker 3: I hope one day, one day that's the dream. There'll be no action, it will just be three of us.
Speaker 13: Thanks for talking with me, cheers man.
Speaker 19: Thanks very much, Carne, she's a queen and talking to you song.
Speaker 5: She's getting really.
Speaker 20: Not afraid to feel this episode, so just let it flow. No one can do we quiet care line. It is sounding, Carolyn.
Speaker 21: But the whole album is very sensual sexual you think, yes, sexual talking about like laying in bed, put your hand on my face like So.
Speaker 22: I wrote those songs trying to be in the same veane of Loretta and Conway.
Speaker 21: I was wondering if some of them recovers because they felt Mary, Loretta and Conway, thank you.
Speaker 7: That's a great compliment.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 22: I wrote those to try to feel the same bame, which because all of theirs are about cheating and sensuality and all that stuff, and so I was like, we can't get away from that, like that's what we have to sort of stay on. And so most of those were that song that you're talking about. I wrote that by myself, mostly sitting in my living room at home, just going okay, like what does this look like?
Speaker 17: Like?
Speaker 7: What is her leave in the bedroom? Like touch your head?
Speaker 22: Yeah, And then Mark Narmore he came in and he had been I'll.
Speaker 7: Never he is my always going to do with Mark Armore?
Speaker 22: You know why because I can take him anything that I'm thinking.
Speaker 7: He never judges me.
Speaker 22: And he puts music behind it and comes up with lyrics together and we do it all over the phone and then it's done.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 7: I loved it. Yeah, but they are sentual, yet they are very central. Surely you weren't surprised. I wasn't surprised, but I was impressed.
Speaker 22: People people always wondered if Conway and Loretta were together.
Speaker 7: They asked that all the time. I tell the story.
Speaker 22: Me and while told me so, I hadn't thought much about it when we were growing up they were on the road together all the time, and their pictures were you know, I'll have to go look at some of their pictures. But now it'd be a great time in the podcast for you to flash pictures of them holding hands in their silk pajamas like rose petals, feeding each other.
Speaker 7: Like face to face.
Speaker 22: And so people would ask after all these shows, like did Conway and Loretta ever have anything going on? And so one night I was like, you know what, she's retired now, Like, I bet she'll tell me and me and Mom was always really like blunt and depending on her answer, what I tell it or not, you know. So I called her and I was like, mem did you and Conway like ever even once hook up? And she immediately goes, no, Taylor, but if I had to do it over again, I would blaze that trail eighty eight years old? And said she would blaze that trail I died.
Speaker 7: Why did she not blaze it? She said that he well, I don't want to disrespect that.
Speaker 22: I don't want to so she just said he was busy a lot and so but and she also said that he never showed interest towards her like that, like he just wasn't, and I guess she always found him to be attractive. But when they were out there, they were in two different buses, they were always working like they just never and I thought that was so funny. And now Trey talks about like he wondered how it could ever be like that until he had to like basically live with me this whole time, and he's like, oh, never were the last person on earth I would ever want to be with.
Speaker 7: And you do figure it out after a while, like people are.
Speaker 22: Like, oh, come on, and you're like, you don't understand, Like because even Trey isn't who Trey portrays to be on stage.
Speaker 7: His name is Michael Jenkins.
Speaker 5: His name's not Trey.
Speaker 7: No, why do you go well? Conway Twitty's name is Harold Jenkins. Would you be in love with a man named Harold's on the radio? Or what Colley?
Speaker 21: Possibly they weren't, I mean they weren't. You think Conway is sexier than Harold.
Speaker 7: I don't think either one of them. Say That's what I'm saying. I would have picked another name, Like you know, why not the target.
Speaker 22: Audience like jud So, why Noah is more what you're into?
Speaker 7: I got you I got you. I love why Noah, Judd.
Speaker 22: I'm telling you, she has really become new to me again.
Speaker 7: Why Nonah. Also just I went.
Speaker 22: To that judge. So me Mall died October fifth, twenty twenty two. Naomi had passed in April of twenty twenty two, and they had that Bridge Stone concert October thirtieth, twenty twenty two, and me Ma's celebration of life was October thirty first or something like that.
Speaker 7: At the Grandel office you were playing in there. Hobby actually said, she saw you, Oh you did.
Speaker 22: I was so nervous getting I had to actually talk and read a teleprompter of the thing I wrote, and I was shaking so bad, and I had to be, you know, kind of serious or whatever. And I mean, we're talking about my beautiful, legendary grandmother. And it felt so important to me to go there and like stand as a woman of integrity for her and talk about Jesus Christ and why Noa. The night before or right around then, had played the Juzz concert without her mama in Nashville, and you could see all the emotion on her face. You could see the pain in her face, like as she sang that song cry myself to sleep.
Speaker 7: And that's what it's called, right, I think that's what it did.
Speaker 22: And uh, it just was the saddest, most beautiful celebration for a Naomi Judd that I've ever seen. And Ashley was there and came out and danced, and when Mema had her stroke, Ashley came to see her, and uh, it was just a beautiful I don't want to give too much away because it was a personal moment with my aunt Peggy, myself, Meman Ashley, and there was just something Appalachian rootsy about it. And Mema really woke up to the voice of Ashley Judd and into that heritage and to see that.
Speaker 7: And then and.
Speaker 22: The celebration of life opened with why Onna Judd singing how great Thou art? A cappella acapella And it was the first time that I cried over me while dying because.
Speaker 7: Why was it the first time?
Speaker 22: I just because we were you know, me Ma had been sick for a couple of years, and you know, I'm kind of hard about death. And after you lose your mom unexpectedly, I don't know what it's like to lose a child by any stretch. And I think that would be something you can't come But losing my mom unexpectedly like that, it was almost like nothing would ever hurt like that again. And just why own a opening like that? And why nown a loving Memal so much Memal loving? Why why I'd been out to the house not long before that, before Memi passed, and just like there was all this feeling and now she's just out there doing her thing, and she looks great and she seems to be happy, and like I have sort of this new fanatical obsession with her, Like it's cool.
Speaker 21: Do you think it has something to do with surviving grief?
Speaker 22: Maybe so, and the way that she's doing it and they're just being so open about it. And so what we're talking about, let's see if we can get back on topic. What we're talking about is I'm attracted to people who are who they are, no matter what their flaws are.
Speaker 7: And a lot of people will.
Speaker 22: Say to me like, oh my god, she sings nasally, she sings nasally, she sings nasally. And what I have found is that people that love me and love my voice say that that's a feature, not a flaw, and embracing those things because you interrupting to me, is you being passionate about what the person is talking about?
Speaker 21: That on my feedback to everyone that I interrupt too much and bring the conversation back to myself and I make weird mouth noises, which I do.
Speaker 7: Hackt you do, God, and you used you do? That is why if I had any there you go.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 7: But you have to talk a lot and it's hard, and I get a lot of hacking situations. Yeah, God, and you do that on the show Carol. Well when you got a hack, you got a hack? Can y'all have edit that part? A lot of hacking? You need to stop. I'm working on it. It's hard.
Speaker 22: You need to go see and you need to go to Van Dy and go see an earnote and throat person. Get that taken care of, because I bet that is gross. You're saying, yes, it's gross.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's Sunday sampler.
Speaker 1: New episodes of all of those shows, Bobby Cast, Four Things, Sore Losers, Movie Might Get Real, Morgan's take this personally, They're all out. Hopefully found something that you want to listen to, Go subscribe, leave a comment, anything helps, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Have a good week.
Speaker 20: Everybody,