Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes David Cross July twenty fourth and twenty fifth, then catch Jeff Allen July thirtieth through August first, and don't miss Zanab Johnson August seventh and eighth. Comedy Up Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty nine years later. For tickets called eight five, nine, two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Comedy Off Bay.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio present Virus, Stockton Mortgage and the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Safe Summer Driving Tour.
Speaker 3: Now here's Matt Jones. Welcome everyone.
Speaker 4: It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Monday, August the third.
Speaker 3: I met Jones if.
Speaker 4: We are live here at Kroger Field for UK Football Media Day, and at ten twenty we will have Will Stein here on the show with us. Kenny Minschie a little bit later today and Carter what's his last name? The guy that draws Stone Colton Price? Well, well Colson is it Colson Price?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The center, but he goes by Carter Stone with his friends. He's gonna come by as well.
Speaker 3: You give give head out of the art phone line eight five nine twenty two eighty seven. What are you laughing about?
Speaker 4: I was like hard, I am an EVSPN radio hoster. Don't you make fun of Meckel. Class X machine is seven seven two seven seventy four five two five four in this dish sponsor by the t J. Smith Office. We called Tj'll make him pay. I got Drew and Ryan. Shannon's back from vacation. Good to see you, Shannon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good to be back. Sorry I missed all the fun last week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of fun. We got a lot of stuff that we could talk about away from UK football. Maybe something the second hour we had Billy's bachelor party. My ESPN debut is today for reasons that are unknown. Uh, you need to see Ryan Lemon right now. He's wearing his name tag. He's also wearing Tom Leech's name tag Shannon on his belly for reasons I do not understand. And he has a will Stein autograph on his nipple. Another thing I do not understand what going on not on his nipple, but on the area on his shirt where his nipple would be so Drew.
Speaker 3: Media Day is here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Ryan returning to forum. You know, we just set up this table two shows ago on Thursday.
Speaker 8: It's become a comfortable.
Speaker 3: Spot on It is basically our spot. So it is UK Media Day.
Speaker 4: The team is on the field right now, they're getting pictures, they're doing group pictures. They will do their team photo a little bit later. Will Stein is right now talking to eleven personnel over there. The UK Football podcast from Kentucky Sports Radio. The website you got John Wong is here. Michael Bennett. I went to the press conference just a few minutes ago because Will talked to all of the media at nine to thirty packed house. Most people I've seen in there, probably Ryan, the most people I've seen in there since COVID. You can tell there's a lot of interest in what will Stein has to say.
Speaker 9: Ye, new era underway, you know, it begins right now and there, but it's excited about what will Stein's bringing to the table for the football team.
Speaker 4: So were you in there, No, I mean there was, it was almost that room was almost two packed.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I I mean, I would say the last couple of years the media day was a little anemic when it came to attendance.
Speaker 3: Not today. Everybody and their brothers out there.
Speaker 9: Everybody wants to hear what this guy we're gonna bring to the table this year.
Speaker 3: He wasn't.
Speaker 4: He didn't give quite as many. He didn't Bravado quotes. I tried to. I tried to, like tried to get him one. But I think maybe he he's like, I did my thing.
Speaker 3: We're good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's he's already made his mark on the Talking season. He and Luckett had a little friendly banter remembering that comment. But you know, even though he's been here seven months now, it was weird not seeing the old redhead there. It's really I feel like, even though I've already been locked in already, just being here and seeing this new era looking out here. It's all these newer coaches we haven't met yet. Yeah, I mean it is Stone's out here somewhere.
Speaker 4: First of all, the actual name Colston Price, Sultan Price, Colton Price.
Speaker 3: But but he goes by Carter stuff.
Speaker 7: I mean, he may we can find out that's the kid from Baylor, right, Yeah, the Center.
Speaker 4: Okay, so he's he's coming on here, Okay, he's just don't call him Carson or.
Speaker 6: You called him Carter carter Stone.
Speaker 7: Calton Pulton from Baylor. Okay, I don't want to operated player on the video game.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to screw up. Maybe there is a Carter Stone, but you know you look at.
Speaker 4: At the field, Ryan, I mean, we don't know who these people are. We don't know the coaches, We really don't know the players. It's it is like it's like, who where did all these aliens come from?
Speaker 3: And they put them in UK uniforms. It's it's gonna be it's gonna take some adjusting.
Speaker 9: I didn't Kenny Minch you could walk through here unless he's got to know.
Speaker 3: Where he's gonna walk through here.
Speaker 9: Unless he's got number three on his jersey. I don't know if I would recognize him. It's time we get to know these guys. And I'm glad we get a visit with him today.
Speaker 8: I walked in with Matt Pontoskie him.
Speaker 3: So he's here.
Speaker 8: We walked in together.
Speaker 4: Okay, fully padded unifour now so POITASKI I mean the red's too late.
Speaker 3: It's all right.
Speaker 8: I think I think it's too late.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean they had announced that, but him seem right.
Speaker 4: Now there is number nine, Matt Ponitowski got, he's got, he's talking to people, so he's a fan favored.
Speaker 7: We if they were doing like the walk in photos like they do walking into the parking lot, we would have been at the same shot. We were like stride for stride coming in and fell big time.
Speaker 4: Well there he is, all right, so let's let's let's do this. I mean, we're gonna have will On here in just a couple of minutes. Let's go over just a couple of pieces of news that I think are important for the football discussion today.
Speaker 3: This past weekend.
Speaker 4: You know, I spent a lot of time Friday talking about the college sports bill and what may or at the time it looked like may not happen, and then things went nuts. Apparently, according to reports, it is amazing how America operates in twenty twenty six, Isn't it Like it's just amazing how America operates. Apparently Donald Trump threatened to tweet that the SEC and Big TENK comissioner needed to be fired.
Speaker 8: Where these on his paid subscription tweets.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but he was gonna, he said, I'm gonna tweet that out, and I guess they got scared. I don't really know why, but I guess they did. And so apparently they went into the night. And now there is a bill for college sports that the SEC and Big Ten commissioners have signed on to, which means there's a pretty good chance it will pass, but it's not certain because Tommy Tuberville, who's the former Auburn coach, it's a senator. He is still against it and he is trying to keep who knows but the most. So that's one step of things that happened. But the most important thing that happened is a judge in Colorado, Ryan, I don't know if you kept up with your Colorado District Court ruling missed on that one.
Speaker 3: She ruled that all.
Speaker 4: Fifth year seniors are now eligible, so basically Denzel Aberdeen's of the world. But then she clara her ruling yesterday and said they are eligible if they.
Speaker 3: Entered the transfer portal.
Speaker 4: And remember a lot of them probably didn't enter the transfer portal because they didn't think they were gonna have a chance to play right or essentially, and they can't have signed an NBA or NFL contract. And if they didn't enter the transfer portal. They can only come back to the school that they went to.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So, by the way, Denzel Aberdeen looks like the smartest dude in the world because he.
Speaker 3: Entered the portal.
Speaker 9: And yeah, community of Florida.
Speaker 3: Comm into Florida, so he will be eligible.
Speaker 4: So for us that both that may I want to talk about football specifically.
Speaker 3: Basketball is a different topic.
Speaker 9: Alexafari, Yeah, could come back on the field on media da right.
Speaker 4: And because he didn't enter the portal, if he wants to come back, this is the only place he can play, at least according.
Speaker 3: To the rule.
Speaker 7: Right now, wouldn't you add him yesterday? Yeah, And that's a position they could use him. I mean, he was a star on the defense the last couple of years. I think he immediately is like Todd Bryant's status make him a captain even though he's late getting here in the summer.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're well, I'm gonna ask him this when he sits here. If you're well, well, you're calling Alex Safari Friday last Friday night when the Ruins you do. He's a guy that really he's in the Packers camp, but he did not sign a sign so like he I mean, he signed whatever the training camp thing is, but that is technically not a professional deal. So he, as I read the rules today, could come back.
Speaker 9: I think you'd welcome him back. I mean, what practice just started just a couple days ago. He hasn't missed hardly anything.
Speaker 4: Well, he would be wouldn't he be our best defender, our second best behind Todd bro He's been playing since he was a freshman, changed positions a little bit, but yeah, I mean he was one of the stars at the end of the Stoops era.
Speaker 3: And could really just all of a sudden, Your defense.
Speaker 9: Looks like changes like that.
Speaker 3: It changes like that, doesn't it you.
Speaker 4: I don't know who this woman, It wasn't Colorado, but like you bring her here as a guest of honor?
Speaker 8: Don't you let her?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 7: We still have the big blue drum er? Make her why or something? He would be a huge addition. The defense already looks to be pretty good. If there's some hole they could use some help at linebacker replayed, and then the experience he already has with the team in the SEC that'd be huge addition.
Speaker 9: He get a good nil deal, probably make more money coming back than you.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, you know you would make the team, which you don't necessarily know if you're him in Green Bay.
Speaker 3: You're right, I mean he may, but he may not.
Speaker 4: So I think that and if that's gonna happen tho, it's probably gonna happen in the next couple of days. So like you may, you may add Alexafari. All right, So that's the news East type. Just looking out there on the field. You look at this group of guys. I feel like we have a version of this conversation all the time. Look at this group of guys. What do you see? Just big picture. There's Kenny Minshew right there. Yeah, I mean, is this a group that you looks like? Dudes that can compete in the SEC? I mean I'm looking at the offensive line picture. They certainly can. Yeah, that offensive line picture, which just got taken a couple of minutes ago, look like the hosses Now.
Speaker 9: Plcorol when he was on the other day, he said, you look at this off at the line. Those are NFL guys. Those are guys that are big enough and strong enough. I'm gonna play on Sunday. And he's got two or three of those guys. That are lined up right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I mean you could see that on the definitely picture.
Speaker 7: We're usually on the field and there's usually a moment where someone walks by us where we're like, who the heck is that?
Speaker 3: As every year.
Speaker 7: This year our angles a little different, but the line even from here, there's no question big Tiger from Ohio State is massive.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: Your boy Carson Stone, who draws so well out there being a leader. I've seen a lot of people right here. It's not just quarterbacks. They're all gathered around minshe and he's talking mines.
Speaker 4: Again this is with no science, but he does look like a leader, like he he's talking like I did trying to organize Billy's bachelor party the other nights as people, you know, by seven point fifteen, Mario was already wondering off, uh, because he had four shots in seconds. He was on a different pace than I don't know what his pace was. It was not all gas, no Brad, he was the hair. He was not the tortoise on on Friday. But the only thing again, if you're just visualizing the receivers, no really tall ones.
Speaker 7: And but that's a position. We like a lot of the names he got, but there's an opening to be the guy. I mean, there's not a there's a few people we think we'll we'll stand out, but overall it's a group that anyone could step up and earn more snaps.
Speaker 9: DJ Miller the guy right, he was right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you know, this will be an interesting day. I think by the end of today we're gonna learn. I think we'll learn. This is gonna be the most comfortable Wills this first time. Will and I like we've sat in the same room with him. He's always been by my phone, by zoom and phone. So we're gonna be sitting next to him. We're gonna meet Kenny Minsche, We're gonna meet Carson Price.
Speaker 7: Maybe bring Colton with him, since Colton's probably gonna be playing more than Carson. I don't know if there's a Carson on the team Dorris Stone, but but they actually you know why.
Speaker 5: I did that.
Speaker 3: We have an OVW wrustler I think named Carson and stuff. There you go, what position would he play?
Speaker 8: I'm still had people.
Speaker 3: Dude, he's got muscles. I don't know if he can uh, if he can draw. Hey, if I'm nine two eight twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take an early break right here so we can maximize our time with Will Tell, Adam Luckett and Nick.
Speaker 3: Rouse to wrap it up. Wrap it up.
Speaker 4: That's enough, guys, and uh we'll bring him over here. We'll take a break and be right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. All right, we are now here with Will Stein joining us. First time we've gotten to have you in person. We've had you on the phone.
Speaker 3: Nice to see you. You just met the crew here.
Speaker 6: I know, I love it.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is this is I remember coaches always say this is like their favorite day, right, like, well maybe not picture day, but the official like getting practice going it is.
Speaker 10: I mean we've been talking to talk for a long time now now it's truly time to walk the walk and they go out there and practice and see our team and this roster that we've assembled and let our guys go coach their ass off and like had a lot of fun doing it.
Speaker 6: So I'm fired up.
Speaker 10: You know, the offseason did evaporate very quickly, but I think you know, this is my element, being able to coach football and to be around the guys.
Speaker 4: Now you when I look at these guys out here, complete no substance visual test. The first thing that looks in my mind is, man, that offensive line is big.
Speaker 6: They're very big. They're very big.
Speaker 10: I know they got a lot of starts to them, they got a lot of production. And you know, I know I've mentioned certain names, but I do like the depth in that room too. There's some other players like like Jordan Knox, like Big Mark, like Max Anderson, like even you know Hayes, you know a guy that was here last year, and you know it can be really quality winning football players. Because to me, the biggest indicative of a successful program to truly have strength in numbers, to have depth, to be able to go make a run in October November where those games really turn into are you going to the playoffs or not?
Speaker 4: On a scale of zero to one hundred, if you were thinking about depth, just depth, where do you think you are this year?
Speaker 3: I know your goal will one day to be one hundred. What do you think you are?
Speaker 6: Yeah, depth this year?
Speaker 10: I would say probably seventy five, you know, to where like we have a really good ones, some really good immediate twos. But you got to think about when I got here. The next day was signing day for high school, which high school recruiting. Yes, you can get some guys that come and play right away, but that's where you build your roster. I think we ended up with ten guys, yeah, you know, and there was virtually zero offensive linment. Jordan Knox was one of them, which is really I'm glad.
Speaker 6: He was here.
Speaker 10: But other than that, there wasn't really any alignment. The biggest depth that happened in that first signing class was white out, Like I thought that was from the previous staff. Some really good quality players. I think some under the radar players that I think you're going to see them out there on Saturdays for US. But in terms of like D line, some other spots that you just have to build from the high school ranks. That is why you look at our twenty seven class right now, what we've really strategized to be a main focus for US is offensive and defensive line.
Speaker 4: I've been very impressed what you've been able to do in next year's recruiting class. I remember a previous administration. What's saying you know in that first summer, if you're a good recruiter, you can sell what you did at the other schools. After the first year, you have to show them what you do at this school. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: The biggest way to sign recruits is to win football games.
Speaker 6: It just is.
Speaker 10: And you know, you can sell a vision like you're talking about, you can sell all this stuff.
Speaker 6: But it's ultimately like, what are you doing for me now, coach? You know.
Speaker 10: So it's about going out there and improving every single Saturday to where these guys that are looking at their program that they're going to join, that they know that what Coach Stein, Coach Bateman, Sloan Fleming, all these coaches have been telling us it is actually happening. So, yeah, that the best way to sign players is to go out there and perform on Saturdays.
Speaker 3: You lost your GM. Was that unexpected for sure? You know?
Speaker 10: And I'm really excited about Pete. You know, Pete's a guy I'm known for eighteen years. She's not just a friend, but this guy is exceptional in his job, you know, and his last body basically was that for them.
Speaker 6: He's got real experience.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get it.
Speaker 11: We're gonna get about that the day to day, you know, the day to day, the operation ready.
Speaker 10: You know, that's why I'm off Twitter. That's how about you know, I don't I don't worry about all that stuff. Worry about our guys. But no, Pete's an excellent He was one of my first hires too, you know, so he's he's more than capable of this role. And you know, the sun rose the next day and we just kept And that's the testament to our program, the people in our program, And that's life. You know, stuff happens and you just move.
Speaker 3: On, all right.
Speaker 4: So I gotta ask you a couple of specific questions. If you can't comment, I totally understand. But you know, the Colorado decision that comes Friday, there's still some questions about.
Speaker 3: Who will be eligible on it and who will not.
Speaker 4: But but one group that seems like they definitely will be eligible are players who have not signed a pro contract who played at their school last year. The name that immediately jumps out and Drew and I were talking about is Alex Afari.
Speaker 3: Have you had contact with him? Have not?
Speaker 10: But there are there's gonna be a group of guys that were here last year that if this actually happens, if I can enhance the roster and make us better. I'm gonna do it, okay, I am. You know, there's just it's not as easy as like, yep, do it.
Speaker 3: You know, there's more.
Speaker 10: There's a process because what I don't want to do is look up and you're playing in an eligible player and then there's stuff like that that can happen. So I think we're still figuring everything out. And the good thing about our people in this administration and the people above me, like they're in the same boat if it's gonna make us better to win football games, and they're good people.
Speaker 4: But if you get somebody in the administration saying to you, we think those guys you're good to go, there might be one or two you're interested in for sure.
Speaker 10: If we can make it work and we can stay within our roster limits and all that stuff, like I will do whatever I can to make sure that we are playing our best football on Saturdays. So but like you mentioned, there's some steps still that we're we're sorting out and figuring out. And it's like a daily new information.
Speaker 4: Is gonna have to say because there are gonna be people who want to put people on the on the field and you can't in October to tell them they.
Speaker 3: Can't do it.
Speaker 10: You can look up in eight SEC teams they're doing it and then just say, hey, all eight of you guys are ineligible.
Speaker 6: All those ones are vacated, Like you can't do that.
Speaker 7: You're right, The talk and excitement around you is mostly offense, rightfully, So that's what you coached. We haven't heard a lot about the defense, but you've many times you want to be a lot more aggressive. What can that potentially look like and how you're going to sche pick.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean you look at what Jay's done in his past, when he has people that know his style. That was important to me when I hired Jay that there's people in that room that I have vetted, not just Jay's vetted and said, hey, we got to hire this guy because he knows my defense. Like I interviewed Jay will tell you, I'll interviewed a lot of people for safeties, a lot of people for corners, and just so I make sure that I'm bringing in the best possible candidates for those jobs. But when Jay's had his people, I mean you look at what he did at Army, what he did at Ball State, Like that's when he's at his best because Jay is aggressive. Jay coaches aggressive, Jay j plans aggressively. And that's what I'm excited about for us, you know, as a program, is that we have a guy that knows how to go win at the highest level in this league. He's been great on third downs. But Jay, just like me, just like our entire staff, like he's tried to grow. He knows that what he did at A and M doesn't just mean that you do the exact same at Kentucky. Just like what we did at Oregon doesn't mean we do the exact same thing at Kentucky. We have to do it's best for our players. And if it's best to play some vision defense and keep it in front at times, We're gonna do that. If it's best to blitz and have multiple packages to get out for the quarterback, we'll do that. I mean, that's one thing with our team, with our system, we will do whatever we have to do to win a game. Like if I gotta line up in the damn wing tea to get yards, I.
Speaker 3: Will do it. There are fans of ours.
Speaker 9: Still, Ryan lem take his sports radio yes, sir and Tom Yes. And I have a will Stein autographed shirt on today, Did I sign that you signed it?
Speaker 6: Sign?
Speaker 3: Your mom gave it to me when we.
Speaker 9: Did that show at Palm Miller four out the Sisty Cakes. She gave me this autographed shirt of view somebody.
Speaker 6: I'll take it.
Speaker 10: So the shirts that she brings to my house, who I think are going to other people, they just go to me.
Speaker 5: It's not for charity.
Speaker 3: Ryan, he is the chair.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So you know people, I think the perception is your offense is like kind of an air raid offense. Yet you've had a thousand yard rushers in your offense. Your top two running backs in the running back room right now, both coming big names but kind of coming off injuries.
Speaker 3: Where are we.
Speaker 6: With those two guys?
Speaker 9: And will you have a thousand yard rusher this year?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: I don't know what is with you when you sit in that chair, it's like you go back fifteen years to when you were a.
Speaker 6: General of it. Bring bring the question.
Speaker 3: Down, take that chair into the studio.
Speaker 6: I don't know if Tom would have asked me that.
Speaker 10: But number one, your first question like we're really not air raid Okay, like we have air raid principles, but guess what every offense and the damn world has air raid principles. Now, that is arguably one of the biggest changes in modern college football, and even in the NFL was the air raid offense. And for it to start here at UK in terms of Major Division one football is pretty cool to me. We do have principles the air way, We have principles of spread, principles of the you know, the art Brills, wide splits. We also have a lot of Pro style influence as well. So I like to think like we're very multiple and in our approach with our personnel sets, with our tempos, with our procedures, with our actual schemes. You mentioned the running back position. It is as important as any any position on our team. I love throwing the ball. I love having a bunch of passing yards, but what wins at this level is the ability to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 6: You have to be able to run.
Speaker 10: I think about last year with Iowa, it's raining cats and dogs and we had to go run the win. We rushed for two hundred and sixty yards in a game that you couldn't throw. So we have to have great balance. Having a great running back room is huge, all right, we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna take a break.
Speaker 4: Whill's gonna stay through the commercial show, and we're gonna do some more and also some questions I have from fans.
Speaker 3: Who just want to get to nother.
Speaker 4: Level a little do so we will do that when we return here Media Day.
Speaker 6: Listen to this song.
Speaker 3: Oh you don't want this?
Speaker 4: TJ Smith personal injury attorney.
Speaker 8: Call TJ.
Speaker 3: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 6: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 8: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: So of course play for those of you listen on podcasts, you couldn't hear that it was Grove Street that was playing. You said you liked the song. You're not saying it's going to go away.
Speaker 5: For it, right? No?
Speaker 6: Tell TJ. Walker, who's like he was tweeting something out like do not lose this song. Listen.
Speaker 10: I want to make the best experience possible for our fans, like, that's my thing, I mean, and for our players like and ultimately two for like recruits. That's what they think they get lost in all this is it's recruits that come to games.
Speaker 4: And we love that song. But that song is fifteen years old. Yeah, I mean, like it's a good banger. We'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know what's really fun is when you score touchdowns and you win games and you're off the field to the fight song.
Speaker 6: That is the most fun.
Speaker 3: And that was a natural thing. Sometimes things just develop as you go.
Speaker 4: I've noticed in the offseason you've done media, but a lot of different kinds of media. Obviously you did part of my take when they hosted this show. You've done you know, the various college football shows, Andy Staples, Josh pay and you have all these people from all these walks of media really saying, look, I believe in this guy.
Speaker 3: Do you did you like?
Speaker 4: Were you conscious that, especially on the national stage, you wanted to go out and sort of sell this program this offseason?
Speaker 10: Again, who looks at media. It's not just fans, it's players. And I want players to see me in just a true authentic manner to where I'm you.
Speaker 6: Know, I'm just talking.
Speaker 10: I'm just I'm a I'm I'm one of us, you know, And that's what I think is really important. But also showing that I believe in our process. I believe in what we do on a daily basis. From a coaching perspective, from a strength and conditioning nutrition player that it results in really good play on the field.
Speaker 6: And so that to me is not what you're selling.
Speaker 10: You're just that's what I'm convicted of, and that's what I wanted to make sure I portrayed part.
Speaker 3: Of my take.
Speaker 4: Likes you and they actually off the air, don't like most of the coaches that they do, and actually tall them.
Speaker 6: I was an awl So I think that helped, which I am. I've listened those guys forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know they were excited to have you. All right, So these are this is comes from the text machine. These are fans right now. Okay, I'm gonna give you a football question first, How does coach Stein like to use the tight ends? There are people who have been asking for twenty years for passes to the tight ends.
Speaker 3: How do you like to use the tight end?
Speaker 10: I know, I mean, I think it's it's pretty You just got to look in the past of what we've done. We use multiple tight end sets.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: My last two Terrence Ferguson was the second round pick by the La Rams. Kenny Sad just went I think eighteenth over all the Jets. The other player that we had at Oregon, Jamari Johnson will be a first round pick. We have Willie Rodriguez, Henry Boy, Michel Skinner here that are all exceptional football players, and so I love it. They control the middle of the field, they control the sea gap. They can match up nightmares for defenses, and so I think you also put defenses and predictable moments. The more tight ends you play, because they have to line up a certain way based on if we have bigger bodies. They have to match it with bigger bodies, and if they don't, then that gives you ability to run the football because they have wider bodies, you know.
Speaker 6: So I love them. I love them, and we'll always use them.
Speaker 4: One person says, I think you can learn a lot by a person by their favorite movie and TV show. Okay, so what is Will's favorite movie and TV show?
Speaker 6: It's hard for me to argue against Forrest Gump.
Speaker 3: Yes that is yes.
Speaker 6: I mean, listen, it's got everything.
Speaker 10: It's got love, it's got comedy, it's got action, got football, it's got football, just got a great story.
Speaker 3: It's led with love forest.
Speaker 6: Yes, he loves his mom, that's number one.
Speaker 10: And he loves Jenny and Son and then eventually then yeah, he loves Forest Junior.
Speaker 8: A daddy named Forest too.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly, so it's got everything said.
Speaker 3: That was what you needed, right there was to get that one.
Speaker 6: I mean I could watch Forrest Gump pretty much every time.
Speaker 8: How many times have you seen it? The number doesn't exist.
Speaker 7: Yes, Jared Lorenzen used to text me just Forrest Gum quotes all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that Jared was like that too. That's quite a triangle if you Drew and Jared Lorenzo.
Speaker 10: Uh yeah, rip, I love j Low one of my favorite players of all time. But yeah, Forrest Gump movie and show. I mean, just something I can watch on repeat is The Office, you know, right, I'll take you watch on repeat.
Speaker 7: I'm about to tear the goalpost down right now, just because he said Forrest Gump. Yes, I'm that fired up.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Jared Lorenza. I mean this, I've watched you, Lrod King came up here, You've talked to former players. I mean, I think connecting with the past, even a past at Kentucky football, which hasn't always been great, is important, and it.
Speaker 3: Seems important to you because you grew up around this, right.
Speaker 10: Like I've told people this is not my program, It's not this is this is truly the player's program. I want them to be proud. I want them to be respected. I want them to be welcome back. And it's important you know that I connect with these guys because they're the ones that have at the jersey on, They're the ones that have bled on this field. They're the ones that care about this program as much or more than anybody. So I want them to feel that connection. It's important and it'll always be that way with me.
Speaker 4: One person writes in and says, how are you going to make uniform combinations a thing here like it was?
Speaker 3: It'll work?
Speaker 6: Well, there's a process to that. I mean what I like that to happen? Sure?
Speaker 10: I mean I love to be different, and it just takes time. There's obviously contracts that happen with the uniforms that it doesn't just like happen the next year, Like you're contracted out through twenty and twenty seven or eight, and then then you meet and you work with the uniform team at Nike. They get what you want. So you know, if we can do stuff that's different, great. I don't want to be so out there, that we lose what we're all about. Because I love the traditional Kentucky uniforms too that have been here. But I also, yeah, I like to be different if we can do like the chrome helmets I love, you know, I think those are a cool touch that we're not here.
Speaker 4: When I was a kid, I asked Jay Batt on Thursday, I said to him, and he was very definitive about his answer. I said, obviously, people at schools I mean used to me. You would say the only program that's a power for school that's consistently been worse than Kentucky is Indiana, and then they go and win a national championship. So I said to Jay Batt, asked him, does Kentucky have what it takes structurally to do that or something close to that?
Speaker 3: And he said one hundred percent yes. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 10: I wouldn't have came here or said this to you guys before, I promise you I would have kept my butt as we got a fly over. I would have kept my butt out West and coach Dante and stayed out there. I am convicted that we can do great things here, and it does take structure, takes a top down approach. Alignment is a word that is I think thrown around college athletics, but it is true. If you can be a lined top down with your president, your ady, all of your your donors, your your coaches, you can do some really cool things. I mean, not just Indiana. And look what Clark Lee's done at Vanderbilt.
Speaker 3: Oh that's amazing too.
Speaker 10: In this league's I mean, and I love what he said too, like last year was just another building block for him, meaning like he is convicted that this isn't just a flash in the pan either. So you have to you have to be structurally set up to be successful. But it also takes you know, recruiting great players, a great scheme, great coaches.
Speaker 6: It takes a lot of things.
Speaker 4: It makes me excited is you know, we've seen some success here in recent years, and I don't know Ryan, I mean, except for Will Levis, really haven't had a.
Speaker 3: Great quarterback here in a long time.
Speaker 4: If you can just get the quarterback right at some point, you know that they can even take another leap like Diego Pavia Sure and Mendoza had it Indiana.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a lot of factors that go into playing winning football. Quarterback Is is a big factor. It's you're completely right. So that was important for us. And you know, we still haven't played a game with Kenny, you know, and he's.
Speaker 3: Got to be the most mysterious.
Speaker 4: But the last time Ryan we had this was Will Levis try to do nothing about him and he was here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I know that's a really good player comp in terms of what happened to him at his prior stop, which was very minimal, if any experience at Penn State.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 10: So yeah, and it's our job to make sure Kenny is very comfortable within our scheme. I think we got great players around him to where he doesn't feel like he's just got to go win every game for us. But I'm excited about Kenny.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: They're telling me got to wrap, So gus do two quick ones one Louisville. You know you've been there on this side as a fan, that side as a player, Now back to this side. How important is that rivalry and beating them, not just playing beating.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it's as important as anything else we do this year.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 10: So you know, we got a lot of games and time before that happens. But you always have to win your rival game.
Speaker 3: And then I want to finish with I let everybody do this, let Jay Ben do it. In a minute.
Speaker 4: I want to give you a chance to message directly the fans, not just through my question, but if you were to say something a big blue nation and anticipation of this first year, what it would it be?
Speaker 10: Well, I've said it before to them, like I do feel like I am as big of a BBN enthusiast or member as anybody else just because of my upbringing. So number one, i am so thankful about their passion. I'm so thankful that they care. I'm so thankful that they're outspoken, because without them, this is just nothing. Like they matter as much as anything that we do. So to me, how can we make Kroger Field the most intimidating stadium in all of college football? It takes them when we're on third down on defense. I want them to be absolutely nuts when we score a touchdown.
Speaker 6: I want them to go crazy.
Speaker 10: I want them to be tailgating their ass off before the game, right, beer bongs, whatever?
Speaker 6: Shots?
Speaker 4: Can they stay? Sometimes people tell them to sit. I always say they should be able to stand. Can that does coach say they can stand? During the games.
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Well, like during the games people will say sit down, I want to.
Speaker 6: See why say stand?
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go. You heard it from the coach.
Speaker 6: This as loud as possible.
Speaker 10: I want you guys to have a blast in the stands, Blast before the game, blast after the game. Let's make Lexington like the greatest city in all of college athletics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, love it, nice stuff, Will Stein, thank you very much, appreciate it. We're gonna take a break, uh not Carson Stone, as Drew said, but Colton Price will join us right after this. This is KSR Welcome back to Turkey Supports Radio. They p I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. We're all saving something, but what if you could save for something? UK Credit Union wants you to reach your saving This goals faster. That's why our High Yield Savings Count offers rates as high as four point zero APYLE and balances up to twenty five thousand dollars known to minimum balance, no monthly service charge to UK Credit Union. We're not just for some, We're for all y'all. Kentucky minimum thousand dollars to open hig Yield account Membershapelle b required insured by n c U, a UK credit union. Colton Price is here. You walk up a couple of things. First of all, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not gonna fight you. You are you are large, big man.
Speaker 4: You're you have he has the biggest legs I've ever seen in my life. Big like like you. You scare me. But you came. You were the number one ranked center in America. You chose to come to Kentucky. Some people were surprised by that. Why'd you do it?
Speaker 12: I mean the coaching staff first off, I mean I believe in the place. I mean sometimes you can get skeptical about UK, I mean coming out especially in SEC. And there's some places like Alabama, and there's places like Ole Miss or Auburn or like certain places that you would think of SEC football.
Speaker 5: But I want UK to be thought of that.
Speaker 12: And so I definitely wanted to be the change here in this O line and I wanted to help lead this place. But I mean, first off, like the coaching staff is the reason why I came. And I believe in what they had. I mean the playing, like the offense scheme they had that Stein brought in pro style offense. I felt like it would be really good for me to go to the next level coming from.
Speaker 4: Here and they stacked your line. Oh man, starting five looks.
Speaker 3: Like it should be you all should be beast.
Speaker 12: Right, come on, yeah, I mean you got you got a Lance, you got Olaus Tag. I mean you were keeping Malachi and so that's that's amazing, and so being able to play next to those guys will be a freaking dream come true for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean you got people out there saying first or second best offensive line in the SEC. I mean, Kentucky's had some good offensive lines in the last decade, but nothing like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you is the hype warranted?
Speaker 5: Would I wouldn't say.
Speaker 12: I would say that, Uh, it's definitely a blessing for us to be ranked like that preseason, but I mean preseason, all these accolades and stuff for whatever you could say and projections might be amazing, but it really doesn't start to get on the field. I definitely would hype our O line up very well. I mean a lot of snaps were played between us, and so I think the camaraderie with one another, whether it's in the film room practice, I mean we all had the roll on the same page. I mean I talked about it earlier, Like one of the biggest things for us is you got five guys, ten eyes, and you want to look through all one lens, you know, and so you want to get everyone on the same page and everyone going together.
Speaker 4: I got to market this you. This is you need to five guys, ten eyes, one lens, one lens, printed print sponsored by five guys. Now, now we've got it. We've never seen Kenny Minshi play any of us you.
Speaker 3: Have, Yeah, what's our quarterback?
Speaker 12: Like, dude, I mean, smartest guy I've probably been around, for sure. I mean he could check plays when we needed and he can put us in the right situation whenever it's needed. I mean, if you want a guy leading the place, it's definitely him in the huddle for sure. And so I couldn't be anyone's the arm amazing Okay, point accurate. I mean shortyard far far throws really down the field. Whatever shot you want, he's gonna get it. And so I'm definitely happy about that. Look forward to it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you played it a big time program, so you know, I mean, you know college football, but the you know, the SEC it's still another thing. Are you excited about that job.
Speaker 12: I mean, you're able to for me. I mean, it gives me better guys to go against. You know, iron sharpens iron, and so I want the best, the best in front of me, and I want to play against the best, so you can be the best. You know, you can't just say you're the best and you're playing against the worst. And so going to the SEC is definitely one of the things I wanted was to give me better competition, and so I'm definitely looking forward to that for sure. And I have definitely seen it here during the practices in the spring, and so it's it's gonna be good.
Speaker 3: Ryan Leman can take his portch radio.
Speaker 9: You walk up and you got a wedding band on.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 6: We talked to you. You got married.
Speaker 9: You got married during the football season.
Speaker 3: You got made in October.
Speaker 12: During Yeah, dude, I wanted to one of the tie that knot man. I mean, I thought it was the right time and skip a game. I didn't skip a game. It was a bye week. Okay, yeah, it was a bye week. I thought it was a good decision. We got engaged. I mean in July. I think that's probably not something I to say. I think, but uh, we got we got the couch tonight.
Speaker 6: We got engaged.
Speaker 5: Earlier in the year.
Speaker 12: Definitely wanted to do something with that, and so we ended up getting married and in a bye week October tenth.
Speaker 3: That's wild. I look at you again doing the research. Where did you come from? I slept holiday and express that always makes it worse.
Speaker 7: You mentioned when to come play for this pro style offense and the coaches, but we also keep hearing with how young and interject the energetic they are around the building. Is that just something being said or do you really feel that every day? Like you know, almost they're older than you, but they might be acting like the college kids too.
Speaker 5: Right, I mean, that's that's what you want. You don't want.
Speaker 12: You don't want a low energy type of places, especially whenever you go into workouts or practice or something like that. You always create energy and you don't want to rely on someone and just not what we're doing around here. I mean, you can you can expect energy from every single one of the guys out there, and so that's one of the best things you can do is go into the facility and you can feel that energy that people bring.
Speaker 3: And so all right, I gotta ask you.
Speaker 4: They put out a video of you drawing, and you're gonna get asked about this all the time.
Speaker 3: Because you looked like Bob Ross. Bob Ross, you did. You looked like, I mean, like the cat.
Speaker 5: I don't think I had the hair, though.
Speaker 4: Well you got you just got to grow it a little bit. But you did that. You did the thing, and it looks so like. So talk to me about your art. Who knew center that's also a renaissance man.
Speaker 12: I mean it just whenever I was younger, I used to draw a little bit, nothing too crazy, what didn't put too much time into it. I've always been able to look at something and draw it, and I wouldn't think it was too hard. This big copy guy just copy and paste basically on paper. But uh yeah, I mean it turned out pretty good. I wasn't it didn't just turn out Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: First I was thinking of just doing like a little stick stick figure Dad or something like that. But I started getting committed and I was like, I mean, might as well finish it off good.
Speaker 3: Oh that was very impressive.
Speaker 4: Again, trying to be your sort of you know agent, maybe draw someome stuff, draw some stuff, you know, I mean I want to also look at you. You have a tattoos. Yeah, yeah, and it's Ephesians six ten. Finally be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. So you have tattooed that on your arm. So why did you do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 12: So, I mean my right arm has all this stuff for the Lord, and I mean I have a little bit on my left arm too.
Speaker 5: God is greater than the his and lows. I mean this is for my brother.
Speaker 12: But uh, yeah, I mean I wanted to put some on my body that I believed in and I want to look out every single day, And so.
Speaker 3: Why Aphesians six ten.
Speaker 12: It talked about how getting it up in the morning or just being able to put on the like the armor of God each morning. And so whenever you're doing that, you know, whenever you get out in the world, like you're gonna face enemies from the uh, you're gonna face the enemy, and you're gonna have all these obstacles you gotta face, and so being able to rely on that and understanding and remind yourself like each morning, I can put the armor of God on every day and I know I'm protecting And so I wanted to have that on my arm for sure, and so.
Speaker 3: Took a warrior here. Uh have you seen the Odyssey?
Speaker 5: I did? I did.
Speaker 3: What'd you think?
Speaker 5: It was amazing?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 5: I thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 6: That you see it.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. Yeah, yeah, I thought it was great. See in the big sound and all that stuff and the visual.
Speaker 5: You you couldn't want any better movie than that.
Speaker 3: See, I told them this, I can. I'm trying to get them to go.
Speaker 5: I haven't watched it yet yet. It's good.
Speaker 9: On my question, you know Carson Stone and how good?
Speaker 5: Not me?
Speaker 3: Sorry that was Drue.
Speaker 8: I think it was him.
Speaker 3: I didn't do.
Speaker 5: I think it was a pretty good player.
Speaker 6: Five star, five star.
Speaker 8: Yeah, hi's rated on the video game.
Speaker 4: Colton Price, he's the center for Kentucky. Hey, great to be with you. Every year we usually getting off the blind and everybody rallies around. I think that's gonna be you now. So thank you very much. I appreciate you, and good luck to good job Holton Price. Not Carson Stone joining us here, good luck go. They're pulling you out there for the picture. We're going to take a break and we will be right back come back. Our number two this is Kentucky Sports radio