Speaker 1: Welcome to Checking In with Michelle Williams, a production of iHeartRadio and The Black Effect. Hey, y'all, this episode is It's awesome. I think it's quite fun. I'm just sharing, you know, what happened when I was just mine in my business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just keep listening to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Hello there, welcome to Checking In. Hey, it's me Michelle Williams. And I'm so glad that every week you decide to take time out of your day to listen to what I have to say or what.
Speaker 2: One of my amazing guests have to say.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: The guests have been passionate.
Speaker 1: They have showed how they can overcome something. They displayed resilience. Did I say the word passion. I'm gonna say passion because doctor Sabine Hazen, she was a guest a few months ago. She's passionate about gut health. She is passionate about studying your poop. Okay, she really believes and I believe it too. She believes that everything that's with our health, obviously is because of what we take in, what we what we digest or then we had doctor Joe Tutman on last week, who's been making the rounds promoting his amazing, phenomenal book that has had me in a chocol called The Fight to find Yourself, his story and his journey. There is something that we can learn, something that we can that I know stuff resonates with me.
Speaker 2: O m G.
Speaker 1: Learning what anger evenually produces in you and how that could maybe be a hindrance to success, good health, healthy relationships. And so thank y'all for tuning in and being open to a variety of people that I have, I had cast home and who you know her expertise is in all things the psychology of play and how we need to play a little more. And so I'm really thankful again, thank y'all for tuning in and just.
Speaker 2: Going with the flow. You know. This year, you know, we.
Speaker 1: Focused, We have focused a lot, you know, on you know, solo episodes.
Speaker 2: You know again, I've just been really.
Speaker 1: I guess selective too on guests because I remember when I started checking in. I have to always go back to to my why, and so my why has been to make impact in the land of podcasts and making impact by talking to people, whether you're a recording artist, an actress, an author, a pastor, a doctor. I just want people who stories. Just I know that once at least one person that listens, they will be helped. Like I just want people to be helped. I want people to know that they're not alone. You know what I mean, You're not alone. That's one thing, you know. The good thing about social media is that you can scroll through something and you can read something and you're like, man, I'm going through this, or man, I overcame this. I'm so glad to know that this person you know is on their journey too. But the downside of social media is that, depending on how your algorithm is, you can just be scrolling and just it seems like no one else is talking about what you're going through or talking about what you overcome. It's like, you know, I want social media listen. I've been following a lot of food places. I love food. Speaking of food, I know my heart has been going out to people who have possibly you know, been affected lately, and from what I'm gathering, hopefully that ends shortly.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to partner.
Speaker 1: With some ministries to make sure that, hey, that I do my part because while I'm talking about I love food, which is my business, but you can't be tone deaf either and not realizing yet there somebody else loves food, but they don't know how they gonna get food, you know what I'm saying. So hoping that I've been enjoying even researching various food pantries and ways to donate and you know, just help people in need or just where people can drop off canned goods and things like that. So I know my home church in Rockford, Illinois, my aunt sent me all the information needed, and so you can always drop off canned goods to local churches and find out that finding out too there are churches who have partnered with local food pantries as well. I think that that is incredible. And if you're like, hey, you know, I want to keep my green beans, It's amazing what ten dollars twenty dollars can do. So hopefully you can find some people locally who need something. So yeah, anywhom I got some good news, Okay, minding my business. I was minding my business, y'all, And lately I have been putting my phone on silent throughout the night because y'all, I have an amazing group chat of family, and sometimes my phone is going off at like four in the morning, six in the morning, eight in the morning, and I'm like, yo, what is going on? Or there could be a store that's sending me a text twenty percent off do this, do that, and I'm like, it was doing the most and it was basically it was affecting my sleep. And I've been noticing on you know, to keep good quality mental health for.
Speaker 2: Me, my sleep cannot be.
Speaker 1: Interrupted by jarring like text noises and stuff like that. So because my phone was on silent and I slept in a little bit, I had messages and missed face times and I was like, oh my god, what is going on y'all? I had basically forgotten that the Grammys were going to be announced that day, the nominations for the twenty twenty six Grammys were going to be announced. So they were announced on this past Friday, and I was pleasantly surprised by my manager and y vetnol Shure and Kelly and friends and Lowe Cunningham, who's one of the procers of death becomes are just like, yay, we did it. And I'm like, what nominated for a Grammy? Nominated for a Grammy. I was like, I what the kids say? I know You Lion, we were nominated.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get the correct category.
Speaker 1: Okay, Best Musical Theater Album.
Speaker 2: Who won't You do It?
Speaker 1: I am actually looking at something that my hometown wi fr dot com. Rockford native Michelle Williams nominated for Grammy Award. A Rockford native known for her work as part of Destiny's Child could snag her second Grammy Award. In twenty twenty six, Michelle Williams and The teen behind Death Becomes Her are nominated for Best Musical Theater Album. After twenty years of not being recognized by the Recording Academy, Williams finally gets another shot at a gilded Gramophone. Her last nominations were in two thousand and six, when Destney's Child was nominated for Best Contemporary R and B Album, Best R and B Song, Best R and B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals, and Best Rap Slash Song Collaboration.
Speaker 2: Previously, the group received nominations in.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five for Best R and B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals. In two thousand and two, the group was nominated for Best R and B Album and Best R and B Performance.
Speaker 2: By a Duo or Group of Vocals. They won the.
Speaker 1: Latter for their song Survivor. While Destney's Child did win Grammys in two thousand and one for Say My Name. Williams was not a part of the group at that time. Uh in two thousand and one, I was, But I see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, I was not a part of the recording of Say My Name, but I was definitely in the group in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, AnyWho, Oh, that's so cool that my hometown. Yay, I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So anyway, best musical theater album. What a joy, And I know y'all gonna let me have it because I was like, you know, definitely the past ten years since my last solo album will probably eleven years or however.
Speaker 2: Long it's been, I was like, yeah, I think I'm good. You know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Finding other things that I'm more passionate about, and I think when you're passionate about something, you'll be more consistent in what you're passionate about.
Speaker 2: So I'm.
Speaker 1: Minding my business and ended up going into the studio to do you know, the cast album for Death becomes her, especially when you do an original Broadway production. Honey, I'll never forget folks for waiting on that cast album for Death Becomes Her. Y'all were like, when is this song coming out? What is going on? So I'll never forget, you know, recording the cast album and went on about my business. We did a cast signing, went on about my business. You know, Tony Awards have come and gone.
Speaker 2: When about my business?
Speaker 1: I love performing and Death Becomes Her so much that everything else has been like, oh that's great, Oh cool, I get to do an interview about this, or oh go to the Tony Awards.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: To me, I just love just the impact of live performance. What it does for me and what it does for the people who spend their money to come to see the show, to laugh their butts off for two and a half hours. That's most important to me. But being a voting member of the Recording Academy and how much fun I have had for years being in those.
Speaker 2: Rooms or.
Speaker 1: Getting the ballot in the mail. Now you can do them online. Now finally we have an app where we can just vote, you know, with our devices. So it's a joy. Yes, I'm voting this year. I have voted. I probably voted in all probably except for like two that I can maybe recall, but I am so excited. There are friends who are first time Grammy nominees, like Darryl Walls. You know, he's a Grammy nominated artist. I want to say for Contemporary Song in the Gospel category him. He did an album. PJ Morton produced an album for him. That album is insane. I love that album. Darryl Wall's Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance, Slash Song and Best Gospel Albums. So do yourself a favor and go listen to Darryl Walls' album. He is so deserving of that Grammy nomination. There are two I'm excited. I'm managed by Jonathan Alzoo, CEO of Culture Collective. Leon Thomas and John Patiste are two of my fellow manager buddies who have been nominated for Grammys this year. I think Leon's got like six or something like.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. Sheesh man.
Speaker 1: Well, he won his first Grammy for Best R and B Song with for Siss with Snooze.
Speaker 2: I believe he's.
Speaker 1: A writer on that goodness as they say, goodness, gracious, great balls of fire. So yeah, that's that's incredible. He is a leading Yeah, he's among the top nominees. Yeah, I think that's incredible. Congratulations to everyone, Congratulations to the principal vocalist and Death becomes Her Torrian Everett, Josh Layman, Christopher Seber, Meghan Hillty, Jennifer SamArt and myself. What a freaking combination. I do have a bone to pick, but I ain't gonna say it yet.
Speaker 2: Only one person knows this bone that I have to pick. I may share it. I'm gonna get a little wisdom.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna talk to other people who have a little more wisdom than I do.
Speaker 2: Or I guess what.
Speaker 1: Some stuff you just need to keep it to yourself. Okay, a baby. These vocalists in Death Becomes Her sing down. You hear me every single performance that they It's it's incredible, Meghan and Jennifer SamArt, Meghan Hillty and Jennifer SamArt Honey, incredible and freaking credible. So I was totally blown away.
Speaker 2: By a nomination.
Speaker 1: I did put it on my vision board in twenty seventeen though, for at me, which is crazy because it's like, you ain't really want to do music no more, so, then why did you put a Grammy on your vision board? I've always wanted one in my solo career, and I'm thankful to be where I'm valued. I feel valued, and depth becomes her. I know I bring value, all right, I show up, I do the work.
Speaker 2: I add value.
Speaker 1: That's I know that, and that's not being cocky or ear again. It's like, yo, y'all got to start knowing that you add value to people's lives, your work environments. Please believe you add value. And I'm shown that I bring value. I feel valued, I feel seen, I feel protected, I feel whatever I need, it's covered, and so I.
Speaker 2: Will always be here for death becomes her.
Speaker 1: For the director, our associate, our associate director, our choreographers, associate choreographers, producers, Jimmy hurt Horowitz, Low Cunningham always, Marsha always man down to our company management, down to the ensemble who works their butts off eight shows a week. So I pray that we take this golden statue home, and I'm going to have it in my dressing room because I want everybody that comes in my dressing room to know you're a part of this, y'all.
Speaker 2: The way I.
Speaker 1: Scream in perfection, I can't do it without them vocalists on stage. I can't do it. I can't see imperviva. I warned you, baby, the babies be on stage hollering. You hear me singing down. Those kids can sing, and I love every bit of it. I love every one of them. So I am really in just in a state of gratitude. My mouth has been a jar. I'm excited as well, because you know, you know, as a member of Destiny's Child, like yo, I've got a nomination, I can say with Beyonce and Kelly, we are all nominated. I'm excited. I'm excited. I'm excited for everyone. I'm excited for you guys who have supported me in and showed me so much love of Over the weekend, I'm gonna go to the Grammys. Yeah, I'm gonna be there. I don't know what I'm wearing yet, I don't I don't know. I don't know, but I want to be there. Although death becomes or does have a show that day't I don't think I'll be there. Speaking of, I'm going on vacation y'all. Next week I will not be and death becomes her. I am taking a much deserved week long vacation I will be away. Shout out to Simone Rose, Who's gonna hold it down while I'm gone. I'm just in a state of just reflection and how I was not even great things can come when you are just kind of I'm gonna just say mine in your business almost you know, when you surrender. I think I was just also in a state of surrender, like literally, like God, whatever you have for me.
Speaker 2: I'm not in the rat race. I'm not gonna out hustle over hustle and wear myself out.
Speaker 1: I've just been in a place where I'm not saying don't work and put the work in. I'm not saying don't be prepared, and preparation takes what takes work.
Speaker 2: But I just I just.
Speaker 1: Don't want to even I was just like there are certain rooms and places I'm trying to figure out. May there's a book about basically like how to work a room. That's not the name of the book, but it's like there's an art to it. But I don't like going places to make transactions. If I vibe with someone that works in the industry and we keep in touch, that's great, But I haven't yet mastered that where that's the only reason why you're going places, and you're only looking for certain people who have a certain leg up or they're the who's who are? They're this executive, So let me. I can't do it. I can't do it. And I think the pace of my career is just I think the keyword has been preservation. And how some of you all may feel overlooked. You might feel like no one values you, and that's not true. You better look at it as God is waiting to push you when it is the right time. That's so important. And I feel like I have been preserved. I feel like there are some things that I thought I should have had twenty years ago. I'm just now getting them. I have no complaints. Could you imagine getting everything at twenty six years old? And where do you go from there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You can you but forty six and I'm like, Lord, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You have given me the desires of my heart, but not when I thought I should have had them. I'm still sitting and living in desires of my heart. Also, you can also think, well, you're probably thinking, well, at forty six, I'm gonna age out, and maybe I should start mentoring.
Speaker 2: Artists or get some type of executive. No no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 1: No, You're still gonna perform, whether that's in theater or whatever.
Speaker 2: However you're gonna.
Speaker 1: You're like, you cannot, don't, don't you count yourself out.
Speaker 2: And I think sometimes.
Speaker 1: Out of hurt or exhaustion, or feeling overlooked or like people don't pay attention to you, you want to quit. But my manager has said something amazing, and I've seen that trajectory for a few people that he has managed. He said, it takes five years for something to pop. Five years, so maybe from five years to the first time you release an album. I've seen it happen to Lucky Day, I've seen it happen to Corey Henry. We're seeing it happen to Leon Thomas. I'll keep seeing it, like, it takes five years, so you're gonna release an album maybe, and maybe people pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: Maybe they don't.
Speaker 1: There are some people who just they put out an album for the first time and it just does wonders, massive success, Grammys, tours. But sometimes that's slow and steady. Five years. I think that's like a magical number, and I think it also separates the real from the people who maybe have wrong motives for wanting to do something. Because if you really are like about your music and your passion them five years, when you look back, you're gonna be like man, I also believe five years and anything. When you're being an entrepreneur, you know, you open up a business and your dream is to do six digits in that first year, you probably not gonna do six digits in that first year. I remember, I think I've told you all the story. I won't say any names, but I was basically kind of do a verbal proposal to someone and just kind of giving them the trajectory of what I think they would see within five years of opening up this business. I said, within five years, you will profit six digits. This person did not have the patience, and they like five years.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody got five years? All right? Now, It's just crazy.
Speaker 1: I look back and I see there are like two similar businesses that are like These people are millionaires. Millionaires got products in certain stores, got certain series on certain streaming platforms about their line of work.
Speaker 2: So five years will go by fast.
Speaker 1: You'll look back and be so glad that you gave something five years that you're your passion project right, and that's getting with the right mentors and business coaches, whatever that is for you do it, do it, invest in you go for it. So I've just been really really excited. And you know, I have been publicly shamed or publicly teased. I remember somebody called me the forgotten member of Destiny's child and I'm like, nah, I'm not forgotten. And whoever's listening, if you feel forgotten about you're not forgotten. I'm telling you. You're being hidden. You're being preserved. And baby, when you pop out, it's gonna be something. It's gonna be an encouragement to people. It's going to be an encouragement. And people who have said things about you, they got to eat them words.
Speaker 2: They got to literally go like that, put their.
Speaker 1: Hand over their mouth, and they probably need to ask God for forgiveness for putting their mouth on you, literally for saying things about you that, yeah, maybe you're emotional, I don't know, but especially when you talk about people that you don't know. So I am thoroughly encouraged. As the old folks say, I am going to run on and see what the end is going to be. And I hope that you feel encouraged to do not stop. Put your head down and mind your business and get to work. Hey there, I hope this episode encourages you and lets you know that when it's your time to soar, to shine, to fly, to have your moment, it's coming. When it's your time, it is your time, when it's your season, it's your season, and when it happens, be a good steward of it. Don't hoard at all. Definitely live in the moment, be in the moment, and be present. But make sure you be a good steward over the things that God has given you. You've worked so hard, you've cried, You've suffered so much loss, You've sacrificed a lot to be where you are, so make sure you take care of it. Make sure that when you like get the harvest of the seeds you have sown, take care of your harvest much you take care of your harvest. I want you to know that I love you, I see you, I'm here for you, and thank you so much for checking in week after week after week. It is a joy to come before you and talk with you and just share and I'm excited about the future again. I love you so much, thank you for rocking with me, and we'll check in again next week.
Speaker 2: Take care.
Speaker 1: Checking In with Michelle Williams is a production of iHeartRadio and The Black Effect. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.