Speaker 1: What's meet Ball my Ron's This is Behind the Bastards, a podcast about the worst people in all of history. And this week we are talking about Ronnie the Big d DeSantis Meet Ball ron ron desanct Demonious lockdown, Ron, I think is the other thing that Trump.
Speaker 2: Calls Anyway, we all have horrified faces.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you all have have beautiful faces. And let me introduce those beautiful faces right now because no one else could be the guests on our Ronathan Sanctimonious d episodes. But Cody Johnston and Katie Stole here for me is that I was amazing.
Speaker 3: It's he's doing wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a frozen animatronic if you were to see.
Speaker 5: Him do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it was unsettling functioning. It was. It was when Cody becomes president and gets his his his animatronic Cody in the Hall of Presidents.
Speaker 3: When I become president, and that's the big reveal. That's what.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually I'm like this.
Speaker 1: So guys, y'all, yin's what would your nicknames be if Trump gave you a nickname?
Speaker 3: Uh, probably something like like dirty Cody or something dirty like lose to like the the unkempt nature of my persona disheveled Dusty Cody, Dusty Cody yor something like that.
Speaker 5: Little beardy Beardo Cody Yeah beard o.
Speaker 1: Yeah Beard Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know what. Mine would be probably crazy with a k or something.
Speaker 4: Crazy, Katie, mine would Mine would just be that woman.
Speaker 1: That woman. See. I think he would just alter his his Ron DeSantis nickname for me and call me meatball Rob because because Ron and I are both very Italian, tragically Italian.
Speaker 3: That's not wrong.
Speaker 5: But I have never ever thought of you as a rob.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say you never thought of me as a meatball? Wow, Katie, Wow Wow?
Speaker 4: Occasionally sure, yeah, honest with each other. No wait, though, seriously, has anybody called you rob before?
Speaker 1: Not and lived?
Speaker 3: No? Yeah? So okay, so Ron, get on.
Speaker 5: Something with machetes.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is. No, that's too cool sounding, very funny. My favorite thing about Donald Trump because you know he's a bad person. Hated him, done tremendous damage both to my family and to the world. But I have, you know, as a writer, as a longtime comedy writer, game recognized game and he is an incredible nickname giver, just one of like stunningly effective. My favorite example of that is meet ball Ron. Because people may not be aware of this, he hasn't publicly called Ron de Santis meet ball Ron. In fact, it was like back in February, a story broke that in private, Trump was calling him meet ball Ron as an insult. This is back when he was publicly calling him like lockdown Ron and dsanct demonious, which are both much worse nicknames. And as soon as everyone heard he's calling him this in private, it instantly became like nationwide.
Speaker 3: Trump was like, from the privacy of your own home, you still did it.
Speaker 1: Trump has even been like, no, I'd never call him that, you know, it's a it's an appropriate I'm not gonna engage the Italian discription.
Speaker 3: Oh he's a he's an amazing it's so funny. He's so good at the at the this, the marketing, and just like he knows how to do it because all he do is like I would never call him that. Maybe, you know, maybe some people call him meat Ron. I wouldn't call him that. Men off the tongue. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a great nickname made up by a smart man, but no, but I would know something, so are are y'all ready to learn the Ballad of Meatball. Ron will not be titling this episode.
Speaker 3: I have a I have a question for you before we begin. Do you address his name? His last name? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait, his last fun Yeah, because this is God's fat hobby horse.
Speaker 3: A little just a little factoid. His name is pronounced de Santis. Yes, but he pronounces it DeSantis. Yeah, because when he was running for governor, he people call him DeSantis and he's like, I guess it's DeSantis. Now he just changed the way he pronounced his name under like vague social pressure. Yeah. I think it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: And that's and very consistent to the to the man we are going to be talking.
Speaker 3: About, exact color it with uh yeel.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, uh so. Ronathan J. DeSantis was due to a filing mishap, born under the legal name Ronald Dion DeSantis on September fourteenth, nineteen seventy eight, in Jacksonville, Florida. Now, but you're all wondering about that middle name, right, Dion. That's an odd middle name for a meatball. Uh Well, Ronnie's father, also, Ron DeSantis, was a huge fan of Dion de Mucci, The doo wop singer whose most well known hit was the nineteen sixty one song run Around sou Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's why Governor On DeSantis' middle name is Dion.
Speaker 5: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just right out the gate with some with some mind blowing fact on. Yeah, Dion de Santis.
Speaker 3: It's a good most almost runner out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost the same name as Dion Sanders, who would have been a better governor of Florida. Probably he might have been a terrible person.
Speaker 3: I oh, we are all in on Sanders.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good. That's good. So I should note off the top here that when I say Ron was born in Florida, I am referring to the state in the southeastern portion of the United States, not the seminal genre defining rap artist flow Ryda aka Tremar Dillard, who recently represented San Marino in the twenty twenty one Eurovision Song Contest. Listeners get confused whenever we mentioned the state, and I want to assure you that Meatball Ron was not birthed z A morph like from the belly of one of America's great cultural treasure is just a yeah, yeah, I double checked. I double checked. I even sent in an email request to the sheriff of Jacksonville, who responded, please stop messaging us about flow Rider.
Speaker 5: Seems like a pretty good conversation and.
Speaker 3: You trusted them.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I just I legally, I can't uh u further by suspicions until we get some sort of like a photo for the police. All right, uh see A I will not be of any use to me until we can generate a perfect, perfect cover of that scene from Alien where it's Ron Desantist bursting out of flow Righter's chest and flow Right is singing whatever song flow Right I got famous for. I know nothing else about flow Rider.
Speaker 4: Pretty someone has to be able to do something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Proved me right or wrong? I forget which. So before we discuss Rod DeSantis's childhood, we should talk briefly about his family background. His mom and dad were the first generation of their family to move to Florida. He is fairly recent about was recent. I think about as recent as my family is. Immigrants too good old fashioned the United States. Most of his relatives remained in western Pennsylvania and northwest Ohio, which is why now Yeah, classic grease ball stuff.
Speaker 3: But Italians and Western Pa and Ohio.
Speaker 1: Damn, oh yeah no, it's what we do.
Speaker 3: Baby, Get up there, get to Akron.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah yeah, Akron, the Promised Land. That's what for generations, Italians were like, sitting around in Tuscany looking out at like the unfolding glory of nature and going, fuck, I wish this was Akron.
Speaker 3: I want, guys.
Speaker 1: So because of the fact that most of his family has stayed in this chunk of the Midwest, Ron claims in his memoir, which he published immediately prior to launching his presidential campaign, that despite growing up in Florida, he is culturally a Midwesterner Quoa. I was geographically raised in the in Tampa Bay, but culturally my upbringing reflected the working class communities in western Pennsylvania and northeast Ohio, from weekly church attendance to the expectation that one winner in his keep. This made me god fearing, hard working, and America loving. And there's a lot that's funny about that, particularly the fact that it's kind of insinuating that Floridians are like shiftless, godless degenerates, which.
Speaker 3: Is true, is exactly what he's saying, and there's this element of like I'm I invaded the place and took over with like it's like this weird like reverse like americanized like great replacement thing of like culturally I'm here and I'm bringing those values to Florida. But also he wants to make America Florida, right, yeah, so what like what is it? Do you want to actually make America like Ohio's version of Florida?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, he's saying, yeah, the Ohio version of Florida, which I don't know. There's a Jimmy Buffett joke there, but it's not coming to me right now. So Ron's decision to do this has been right, James James Buffett, that's.
Speaker 3: The Midwestern Jimmy Buffett.
Speaker 1: He's scared of the water. He doesn't get anywhere.
Speaker 4: I think it's actually pronounced James Buffet James.
Speaker 1: So this has been made fun of by a lot of people. It's worth noting that he only very recently started claiming to be culturally Midwestern. In his initial congressional campaigns and first governor goombinatorial campaign, he described himself repeatedly as from Florida, from Tampa Bay. So this is something he has picked up as an attempt to get votes in the Midwest himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the common man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the common the common man, the common idiot. Like that's what that's how he's what he's saying about Midwesterners is like they're so dumb. I can pretend to be from there despite growing up as far away almost as you can.
Speaker 3: Right. It's funny because like he's like, he's insulting the Midwest, but you're dumb if you'll believe, yes. But also he's insulting Floridians by being like, yeah, they're fucking.
Speaker 5: I'm not one of them, and I'm not one of them.
Speaker 3: I'm bringing my good ship over there, like yeah.
Speaker 1: And it is. It has not seemed to work. A recent article on Florida Politics dot Com notes that he is at least ten points behind Trump in Pennsylvania, and he recently dropped to third place in the Ohio primary polls behind Vivic Ramaswami. Shocking. Hey, come on, he is fifty five points behind Donald Trump there.
Speaker 3: So that's painful.
Speaker 1: Hasn't exactly played out. That's Ohio, Okay, the Midwest isn't doing so hard.
Speaker 3: How's he doing in Florida?
Speaker 1: He's not beating Donald Trump last I checked, like, I don't think so. How could he be realistic anyway? That's actually what we're talking about. That's the whole point of this week's episodes. So back to his family. Ron gets his interest in politics from his grandfather, who was a major figure in the Republican Party of mid century Ohio. He was on deck in nineteen sixty for a major political scandal where a number of voting machines failed during an election and led to something like fifteen hundred people's votes failing to be accounted, effectively disenfranchising them. Right, this is like a very serious issue. The Secretary of State, who was a fairly rare Republican and state government at that point in time, cleaned house and put Philip Rogers, Ron's grandpa and his director. By all accounts, he was very good at this job, and he became a respected expert on election integrity. The Republican Party in Ohio in those days was not a mighty force, but Philip gained widespread respect and traveled around the state helping to ensure integrity in a number of smaller elections. When the local steel workers union needed to do a vote, they trusted him to manage it and ensure that it was done with integrity. He was even contracted out to other states, including Louisiana, to help them set up modern voting machine systems. Rogers is described by one colleague as quote someone who believed in the way the system worked. He was political, but not a politician, and instead someone who believed enough in the system to work a pretty thankless and intricate job. By all accounts, he was not especially ideological, and I've run into no complaints of him taking advantage of this job to further his own political INDs. Crucially, Roger was on the moderate wing of the Republican Party. One write up from NBC News notes there was a group of Goldwater rights who were a thorn in the side of the party at the time, says Binning, referring to acolytes at Barry Goldwater, the failed utra Conservative presidential candidate in nineteen sixty four. Phil wasn't in with them. This was one of his fellow Republicans in Ohio at the time. So he's not an extremist, not a hard right guy. Ronda Santis, the dad of our Randa Sis Santis, the son of this dude, moved the family away from its Midwest roots after he graduated in nineteen seventy and got a job for Nielsen, the company that used to determine what TV shows got renewed. Most of our gen Z viewers will not know what the fuck we're talking about when we say mentioned Nielsen families. But once upon a time people paid money to subscribe to something called cable because we hadn't yet invented lime wire TV. Shit, they're not going to remember LimeWire either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 1: TV shows lived or died based on how many Nielsen viewers turned tuned into them. The basic idea was like a percentage of families in each state got like sent a box that they would hook up to their TV and it would record what they were watching, And then Nielsen would do some whack ass math to determine how many people are actually watching the show, and advertisers would use this data to decide where to buy ad space and what the value of ad space was. Right, And thus was American popular culture shaped for decades. Old Ron, as he probably is not called, was a low level cog in this system. He's physically putting the boxes into people's houses. Uh, r Ron DeSantis' mom, it was a first generation Polish immigrant and became a critical care nurse. It's interesting to look at what some of the elder adults in Ron's youth did for a living. His parents' siblings became a priest and a nun respectively, which suggests a strong Catholic upbringing. Ar Ron doesn't talk about this as much as he speaks generally about God and going to church, but it's worth noting that from what is publicly available for us to see, his nun aunt does not seem to be the kind of Catholic you might expect given her nephew's path. Here's NBC again. Be open to diversity, Sister Regina said during a twenty twenty commencement address to graduates at Ursuline High School. Do not be afraid of those who are different from you. It's okay to change your thinking. Change is the constant in our lives. Oh that's inesting, Yeah yeah, So that's different from.
Speaker 3: Artist in one ear in one end of the.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. His priest uncle, father Rogers, has been known to recite Teddy Roosevelt's Man in the Arena speech from the pulpit, but doesn't have a reputation for bringing up politics in a more relevant modern sense. He has a sizable fan pace among the Catholic subculture, including many people who have followed him from two different churches. Because of his raw charisma. It said he doesn't need a microphone to reach the back pews. I bring this up because it's a notably distinct difference between r Ron and his kin. DeSantis is known for a lot of things, but in person, charisma is not one of them. People who know the family will say that he takes after his mom, Karen Moore, as she is something of an introvert and uncomfortable with the spotlight. Even as he's become a national figure, she doesn't really show up in public, which you know is her right he should, He should take her take advice, Yeah, approach to avoid being known by people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we become a big weakness for Ron seems to be being perceived.
Speaker 1: Being perceived exactly. If no one could see or be aware of him, he would be a lot more likable.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I bet he was.
Speaker 5: I bet he wanted to be like his uncle so bad.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, No, it's too much of a meatball, not a speech, absolutely the driest meatball. As a kid, young Ron was bright and a good student. Excellent student. Actually, his grades were so good that one the teacher would describe him as having a Stepford report card. He was also a very capable athlete, and in his youth, Ron's first love was baseball. He was known to other kids as D, which he still prefers to be called and claims to like more than his real name. So you know, that's that's the add he should have gone with Florida got that D you know some D. Yeah that D take this D D in you, Ron, If you weren't a coward, we would support you, just just based on that. Don't even care about your politics.
Speaker 3: It's a good D joke, can't I can't go find that. I feel like if you weren't a coward, he'd be uh uh saying a lot worse stuff than he already.
Speaker 1: That is almost certainly true, Cody K Money see money anyway. The earliest influential book that Ron read as a kid was the Science of Hitting by baseball legend Ted Williams. One of Ted's pieces of advice in that tone is to be very careful about the swings that you choose to take. Ron's father claims his son took this advice to heart, telling the New Yorker, I must have thrown half a million pitches to Ron. I think he swung at about five hundred of them. What are you laughing at about their Cody he.
Speaker 3: Would after Disney like seven months.
Speaker 1: I know, I know he did not learn that fucking lesson.
Speaker 3: I did not stick with you.
Speaker 1: Man. Well it's you know, I might argue Cody. And this is one of the things I find interesting about Ron. He did abide by that advice in his life and career up until like a year and a half ago. Like he's even the most of his political career extremely consistent. It's really about littless than two years ago that he decides to take some really wild swings that have just just shattered him, which is interesting to me, Like you almost get the feeling like this guy is like this disciplined, coiled spring and managed to like keep himself in line and then just for whatever reason twenty twenty two, decides, yeah, it's time to go off the leash.
Speaker 3: No it was not, No, it was not. Yeah. I think the topification of his desires, and I think the libs of TikTok talkification. Like he's got some people surrounding him that are very online and radical in the bad sense of the word radical. You could call him, you could. I feel like even that gives him too much Uh yeah, rad but like the yeah, this sort of like he's been sort of injected with a lot of awful shit that he's let sort of steep into him because he's a dry meatball. So they're they're pumping him full of like the poison, yeah, meatballs juice, which he needs. Oh okay, okay, okay, So I'm mixed up. I don't know.
Speaker 1: His hometown was Dunidin, which is famous both for its long standing lawsuit with a Tolkien estate over its name and for baseball. It was the spring training home of the Toronto Blue Jays, so as a kid, Ron could easily go down the street and watch the pros play. His upbringing was very parochial, and he notes that he graduated that until he graduated high school, he had rarely traveled further than five miles away from his house for anything but baseball. In his memoir, he writes, baseball was the engine that expanded my horizons In those days, little leagues like DUNI in national had a regular season in which the individual teams, each sponsored by a local business, would compete against each other. Now, I also played Little league baseball. Did you play Little league either, y'alls?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 5: I sure did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it should be a federal felony to make children play baseball. But I'm not sure if you guys had a better experience, maybe maybe slightly better.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it personally, Okay, okay, wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well there's diversity on the panel today. It's good.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, criminals a variety of opinions.
Speaker 1: Well, meatball Ron loved it. Couldn't get enough baseball, and he was very good, and so was his team. He kind of like lands in with this group of boys who were all they make like a pact when they're eleven or twelve together to get to the Nationals effectively, and you know, they do very well. The first big year they get to the district tournament, they're eliminated by game three, but like it's further than they thought they were going to get. Ron and his teammates are super like four of them are going to wind up getting drafted into the into the majors, like they are, like, uh, it's kind of a dream team of little boys ue baseball Ron.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: So, after getting eliminated in game three the district tournament, they train even harder to compete the next year with the hope of earning a spot in the prestigious Little League World Series. In williamsport news articles often include a photo of Ron's team from this period. You see him holding an aluminum bat on his shoulder. One local Tampa source described him as staring into the camera with a look so assured it's almost unnerving on a twelve year old. You get similar hype and other write ups, most of which describe him as an unusually serious kid. I don't see it. I haven't found that photo, but I found I've got another one here, and like he just looks like a normal preteen boy.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I want to see that the unnerving one, because I feel like unnerving is a very another good word to describe him and his interactions with people.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's a very serious kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he doesn't. In this photo he looks he's just laughing like the others, Like he just looks like a smiling kid. He does look like it.
Speaker 3: He's not put on the face right.
Speaker 1: No. No.
Speaker 3: Also, we've also all seen him laugh at this point.
Speaker 1: I guess his his nightmare laugh, like the like the crowing of a fucking funeral bird.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he's like smiling, looks like yeah, he's yeah, what happened, Ron, what happened?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what we're talking about today. Whether or not he was an unusually serious kid, he was openly ambitious in a way that is not the norm for preteen boys. From that Tampa Bay ride up quote. I always knew he was going into politics, said Brady Williams, who is now the Raised Triple A manager in Durham and was then one of Dessanta's closest friends. His goal was to be the president of the United States. Was that far fetched? A lot of things we talked about that summer were far fetched, and a lot of them happened. So he is one of these And I do feel like I think we need a government agency specific to go after little boys who talk relentlessly about becoming the president or intah. Yeah, parents have to like register them, like, yeah, my son's been talking about becoming the president or the first trillionaire. You know, we gotta gotta tamp down.
Speaker 3: On that deal with those ambitions. Yeah, are kids fucked up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is this is a use that we could have for like Philly sports fans, right where the government sends a bus of them out to each of these kids with just like eggs to just like start pelting them. Actually, I think we may have solved a major societal problem here.
Speaker 3: Jobs.
Speaker 1: It greats jobs for Philly sports guys, most of whom are unemployed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Jobs.
Speaker 5: There's nothing anybody could possibly find wrong with this.
Speaker 1: I think we've gotta I think we've got a playing all the meatball. Yeah, yeah, we've got it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The next year, his little league team does much better. He describes them as storming into the regional tournament and making mincemeat of the other's southern teams. One of his former teammates has discussed how manically they had to train that year, rarely going two days in a week without playing. They eventually made it to the regional championships, where they won the Southern regional title and earned a spot in the national contest or in the World Series. Quote. I was surprised at how big of a deal it was for our community. We found ourselves on the local news and on the front page of the local newspapers. A long way from being a bunch of kids putting on a far fetched motto beneath the brims of our hats. Williamsport is the Shangri Law for Little leaguers. The games take place in an actual stadium that can hold more than forty thousand spectators. Thanks to the terrace hills beyond the outfield fence, the field was perfectly manicured. When we first got a peek at the stadium, it was like entering Finway Park or Wrigley Field for the first time. The teams all stayed in cabins on site, and there was a dining hall for all all meals. And this is this is Meatball Ron's first brush with fame. This is the first time he's like on TV. He gets like a card made of himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sees himself how he can be, how he should be, how he has the right to be, how it's his destiny to be.
Speaker 1: You do get that feeling again. Bring in Philly sports fans for the Little League World Series. You know, give him free batteries just to pigs Tampa batteries. Oh yeah, Phillies. Guys love their fucking batteries. So uh, every biographical look at Ron will discuss his little league team's rise to the championships. It does seem to have been a crucial moment for his self conception, the time where he realized that his humble middle class upbringing wouldn't lock him out of national aspirations. In his memoir, he also uses it as an excuse to make a baffling political point about China. So currently, the big little league competition includes a team from Taiwan. It is the World Series, and like, I don't know why they lost their big game at Williamsport, and he describes the other team's pitcher as throwing like Nolan Ryan, which makes me think of the time Nolan Ryan coldcock that dude on the field, and I want to see Ronda Santis take a hey Maker from anyway whatever after losing to the Taiwanese team, this is the thing I don't understand why he brings up. So they eventually lose to this Taiwanese team, and then after noting this disappointing loss, Ron gives us this gym. I also think it may have informed some of my later political judgments. For example, while my hostility towards the Chinese Communist Party and my support for Taiwan is reflected by my general political outlook, the respect I had for Taiwanese baseball no doubt made my pro type stance more natural. After all, I remember playing ping pong against these guys and they were just normal kids having fun, not maoists trying to further a cultural revolution. Yeah, I'm sure all pre teen shiniest kids are a hardcore maoist political opinions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the idea is, so it's just like yourself.
Speaker 1: If they'd been kids, you would have had the same experience because you're all fucking kids. You're playing sports game like, they're not going to be just like reading from the fucking Red Book to you.
Speaker 3: So sure it just speaks to like the way like his mind, like yeah, this mind works of like yeah, an experience, what experience with people who are different from me? Yeah, and now that that informs my entire worldview, whether it be negative or positive, it's just weird, like well whatever, Yeah, I hate meatballs.
Speaker 1: Now I don't like meatballs anymore.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: After graduating high school, Ron claims to have worked full time at an electric company that had sponsored his little league team in order to pay for college. So he's they sponsor his team, the guy who runs the electric business company. Thing is like Meatball Ron, if you ever want a gig when you're done with the with the baseballs, you gotta gig here. So he he gets this job, and he he will not shut up about this job. Right, this is like the one blue collar moment of his life. And that absolutely as hard as he can and he will use this. He's gonna make as much political hay out of this motherfucking gig as it's possible to make. But you know who else will? Milk and Meatball Cody, you know who loves milking meatballs. Can't get enough of that of that ball milk as they call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's the ball milk milkers?
Speaker 1: Well, if you want wow ok ball milk meat is your question? Uh huh yeah, well you can ask Meatball Ron that her name is Casey. So you know here's an ad Oh yeah, oh yeah, I don't know why I came back that way.
Speaker 5: It was a fun choice, I think I do.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, thank you both. So Meatball Ron is very proud of his working class credentials as a briefly an electrician. Now he never bothers to interrogate whether anything has changed to make it harder for a kid today to pay for Yale tuition with an entry level gig at a power company. What he does make time to do in his memoir is shit on those lazy millennials.
Speaker 3: Quo, thank goodness.
Speaker 1: Will it was come and for rising college freshmen to spend their summer enjoying themselves on the beach and sleeping in until noon. I was up at the crack of dawn to start work just after six am, five days per week as an electricians assistant. I made a mere six bucks an hour, but it felt great to receive a paycheck for a good day's work.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, she's just rotting a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also yeah, because you were a kid that didn't know better than you had a job.
Speaker 1: But also, like you, you are going to Yale and you are legitimately one of the few working class kids there. But like going to guarantee you, most college students in most colleges worked because they're not Yale's. They don't have like millionaire parents with legacies.
Speaker 3: Right, like go to a different school and you'll experience will be like, Oh, everybody's kind of doing this the thing that I'm doing.
Speaker 1: You. You chose to go to the school for rich assholes, which is what Yale is. Everyone knows it. It's the school for rich psychopaths. And like you're being like, Wow, nobody else here as a fucking job. Yeah, of course not.
Speaker 3: You expect they're all Yale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a mix of George H. W. Bush's blood sons and fucking illegitimate children. That's all of Yale except for you in this period. I assume. So assumes yeah, one one assumes. Uh so. Ron also uses his early work history to make the usual litany of conservative complaints against the regulatory state. When I showed up to work that first day, I will retire, that was typical of what an electrician would wear, jeans, a long sleeved shirt, and an old pair of work boots. Then I was promptly sent home. Why because it wasn't clear if the old, worn out boots were actually OSHA approved. I didn't know what OSHA was, but I soon learned that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration was a federal agency charged with promulgating workplace safety rules. The net result for me was that I had to spend the lion's chair of the share of what would end up being my first week's paycheck buying a pair of boots that were clearly approved by OSHA. I doubt this made me any safer, but it did make me a tad bit poorer. Now, uh, I have my doubts. We'll talk about this, but I have my doubts as to whether or not this happened more accurately. I doubt if Ron DeSantis at the time had a serious issue with being required to wear approved safety footwear. It is very silly that he chose to complain specifically about footwear to make a point about unreasonable regulations. Because electricians die all the fucking time if they don't wear proper footwear. It's an extremely reasonable regulation written in blood. Here's one quote from a twenty fifteen article in Electrical Contractor magazine titled feet on the Ground. Bad things can happen with the wrong footwear. These are two real life examples. An electrician wearing cowboy boots loses his footing and slips, and he comes into contact with a life conductor, resulting in his electrocution. In another example, alignment wearing tennis shoes is electrocuted when his foot comes into contact with a fallen energized wire. The incident occurred when the victim was attempting to restore power disrupted by a severe storm. Both incidents could have been prevented had the victims been wearing proper protective footwear. And he does describe his boots as worn out.
Speaker 3: Now worn out. I was gonna say, yea thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, you say your boots sucked, Like this is a job that can't boots and more.
Speaker 3: The point it's it's this element about regular regulations general. It's that Dave Ruben thing on Rogan I you've seen where he's like, yeah, all these regulations for building stuff this Yeah, it's so you don't cut corners and like houses collapse or like the wires, Like there are reasons that these exist on not every single regulation in the world. But it's such a weird complaint. Also, shouldn't your boss buy those? Maybe that's your that is.
Speaker 1: Like, this is not an issue with This is not an issue with regulations. This is an issue with the fact that independent contractors are Like the legal classification is so fucked that your boss doesn't have to equip you with proper safety gear, like it be required.
Speaker 3: That the bosses provide these that you should Yes, you need them, they're making you get them. You shouldn't have to pay for them necessarily. There's there's your little complaints, Ron.
Speaker 1: Now, but you can't that can't be the complaint because that doesn't go along with conservative dogma.
Speaker 4: And and it probably that probably was the complaint at the time, Like that's probably what bothered him at the time.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I have to buy these?
Speaker 5: Why do I have to buy this for myself?
Speaker 1: But I mean, I will say I wish he'd been allowed to work as an electrician wearing let's just put those worn out now, yeah, yeah, yeah. Now. Because he was such a good student with excellent grades and extracurricular performance, Ron earned admittance to Yale. He was not a legacy admission. His parents certainly did not have the money to bribe a spot for their son in the prestigious school. It seems clear to me that Ron say Yale is an opportunity for him to increase his social class and network with powerful, rich people in the hopes of becoming one himself. He was successful there, becoming captain of the baseball team and rushing for the famous Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. Now he is going to as we'll say, really try to downplay the degree to which he fit in at Yale, but going to this fraternity puts him in rarefied air because DKE is one of the oldest frats in the country. Its alumni include George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush, Teddy Roosevelt, and Rutherford B. Hayes, who I know is your favorite president, Cody, You're a big hate so Rutherford to stay on as we call them mmmmm heads yeah, Hayes heads, sure, Jesus yeah, you got hay fever. That's another good term for Rutherford B. Hayes fans uh. Yeah. Although I will say dan Quail was also a member of dk So it's not that rarefied, right the.
Speaker 5: Let Quail sure, sure, sure.
Speaker 4: So it's the club that little boys growing up who wanted to be president.
Speaker 3: Yeah go to.
Speaker 1: It is exactly that club, and like it is the kind of thing. Clearly, this was the thing he did because he thought at the time, this is the way to become president. Right, you go to Yale, which is a very fancy school for presidents, and you go to fucking you get into DKE right now. Because Republican politics have since taken a major populous plunge, particularly in the last six seven years, Ron has now been forced to disavow his alma matter. Roughly half of the first twenty percent of his MEMOIRIR is just him shitting on everyone but him at Yale to try to salvage his blue collar credentials. He does this by trying to paint the school that both Georges Bush went to as a breeding ground for communists. What he's really.
Speaker 5: Trying to dance a tight rope right now?
Speaker 1: All this different, Yeah, this part's fun. While Yale's popular motto made homage to God and country, the ethos of the university's academics was hostility to the Almighty and disparagement of America. Before I got to Yale, I believe that almost all Americans were proud that our nation defeated the Soviet Union to win the Cold War. But at Yale I was told that the United States was to blame for the conflict in the first place, not the Stalin era Soviets. Well the late nineteen nineties was one of the most prosperous times in human history. At Yale, we were led to believe that communism was superior, even though it was impossible point even one example of the superiority since real communism had never been tried. I wondered if some of my professors in class it's rooted for Ivan Drago to defeat Rocky Balboa in Rocky four. Just what an amazing paragraph, What.
Speaker 3: A rich, rich, rich passage.
Speaker 5: He didn't get his book.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't believe saying that what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I don't believe anybody could push back on this. They've never taught that, not now, not then.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, how like I simply don't believe it. This like red scary stuff is so funny and like, I mean, it's alarming for sure, but like just like how hard he's going in on this, Like, oh, I just need to like say that communism is bad and also like distance myself from the clear path that I chose for myself. I don't believe you, Ron, is my point.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, I don't believe he's definitely a liar.
Speaker 3: The commis at Yale, What the.
Speaker 1: Fucking commis at Yale. Don't even like Rocky Yes, don't even like seminal film Rocky fo Yeah, not even one of the good Rockies.
Speaker 3: And he's such a like a it's such a funny like he's such a ted cruise in so many ways too, of just like the touch that cultural touchstone too. You're you are culture pop culture.
Speaker 1: Ha yeah, yes, fucking fucking meatball. Anyway, DeSantis goes on to note that experiencing unbridled leftism on the fucking Yale campus, yeah, pushed him right. Uh that so he does say that he he includes that line, I was I was forced into conservatism by those Yale communists. My god, the gender studies at Yale, Like, give me a fucking wild god. Now, as you're.
Speaker 3: Probably not gonna Saarl Lawrence or something.
Speaker 1: As you're probably not going to be surprised here. Not everyone who went to college with old Ronnie d had a positive opinion of him. And I'm going to quote from an art Yeah, yeah, yeah, here's a fun quote from an article in The New Yorker. Some recall that DeSantis was so intensely focused that he wasn't much of a teammate. Ron is the most selfish person I have ever interacted with. Another teammate told me he has always loved embarrassing and humiliating people. I'm speaking for others. He was the biggest dick we knew. But the same teammate praise DeSantis's intellect. This is the frustrating part. He's so fucking smart and so creative. You couldn't even plagiarize off his work. He takes some angle and everyone knew there was only one person who could have done that. So yeah, he's a smart asshole who likes to bully people. That's that's that's that's.
Speaker 5: Making president, I tell you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean like not that smart though, because sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well this guy may not be very smart. Right, he's another gay, old dude, and yeah, it's given us a lot of dipshits.
Speaker 3: So well, there was an element too of just like yeah, you got good crazy like worked hard, but like there's like.
Speaker 5: It's different than it's just related.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah him, what is intelligence?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That gets us into anyway, whatever, Let's let's move on. He's a dick and selfish. After he graduated with honors, Ron became a history teacher and taught for a year at the prestigious Darlington School in Rome, Georgia.
Speaker 3: I A.
Speaker 1: It is here that he first runs into his initial his first serious controversy. Last year, a source with quote close knowledge of the matter provided information to The Hill about a photo that had started going viral. This photo showed a young adult Ronnie d posing with teenage girls, some of whom were students of his, while holding a beer. Now this picture that first came to prominence when Trump started his campaign against meatball Ron. The former president shared this picture from another user's post with a text that's not Ron, is it? He would never do such a thing? Question mark now the origin? Indeed he did, indeed, And this original post, like Trump was, the post he was sharing, included a caption by another user that read Ron DeSantis was having a drink party with his students when he was a high school teacher. Yeah, such a weird way to frame it.
Speaker 2: Having party also, but also trum Trump competing on it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of photo woman silly.
Speaker 3: Wait, So who used the phrase drink party?
Speaker 1: The person who originally posted, because that is a Twitter blue ass phrase. That is a is a very Twitter blue phrase.
Speaker 3: A drink party. Yeah, having your drink parties with your leftists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that is that is Yeah, that is a phrase written by someone who has forgotten the face of his mother in favor of an Elon Musk Snapple fact.
Speaker 5: And has never been invited to a drink.
Speaker 1: Party and never would be invited a drink party.
Speaker 3: I also love just like, obviously we don't need to too much into the Trump of it all, but the idea of Trump sharing this photo, bro, there are stories of you walking in at miss plain dog, what are you doing? But also like he's teflon. It doesn't matter, It doesn't matter, god man, guy.
Speaker 1: The the post that Trump was quoting went on to say having drinks with underage girls and cuddling of them look pretty gross and a foebopheliesque.
Speaker 3: Oh it's also.
Speaker 1: You get a lot from the post because it's like, yeah, you gotta make a you gotta like it's the very libertarian thing to like really emphasize the difference between pedophilia and.
Speaker 3: Gotta make.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, this guy owns a bored ape.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely all his apes are gone, though all his ages slurp juice. You know, he doesn't have slurp juice that's right.
Speaker 1: Can't even slurp now. This created an uproar on conservative social media and The Hill, which is a liberal leaning publication. Talk to someone who had apparently Yeah, yeah, it's kind of kind of libby. Yeah, more on the lib side. It's not it's certainly not like a left wing rag or whatever. But it's like, it's not a not conservative media. Uh yeah, talk to someone who had apparently been at the party where Ron has his arms around these girls drinking a beer. According to our whistleblower, very silly thing to call a whistleblowering, fucking ridiculous.
Speaker 3: According to the micro yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Uh. DeSantis had a reputation among students for being a young, hot teacher who girls loved, and the girls in the photo are believed to have graduated in two thousand and two, making them seniors at the time. Hill reporter also added the source who provided the photo says that it was taken prior to graduation, meaning the young girls would have still been with the Santas responsibility at the time.
Speaker 3: That is gross. Even if they weren't his responsibility, he is grabbing drinks with By the time.
Speaker 1: You have graduated college and are working as a teacher shouldn't be drinking with high school.
Speaker 3: Girls, especially not a drink party.
Speaker 5: It's not a drink party, not a drink party.
Speaker 1: It is also sad. It's like we all we all knew guys.
Speaker 4: It's very say you could drink some water with some teenage girls in class, I suppose, but that's sure the same thing at all.
Speaker 1: Although I would say if anyone ever described to me that they were drinking water with teenage girls at their I'd be like, well, why are you? Why are we talking about this this way?
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's that's peculiar. Most people don't describe it that way. Yeah. So The New York Times followed up the Hills reporting here, positively iding DeSantis as the man in the photo and finding further sources that would back up in several interviews that quote. Several students recalled mister DeSantis has a frequent presence at parties with the seniors who lived in doubt. So that is deeply off.
Speaker 3: Frequent.
Speaker 1: Frequent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is crashing a regular face at the drink parties, yes, which.
Speaker 5: I don't think their parents would like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's the Times is what feels nothing damning in a legal matter, right, there's no no one is accusing him of like sexual harassment or assault or of like anything like that. Those allegations just aren't present. But there's not a good reason why, as a teacher and an adult you become a frequent presence at high school parties. Like, there's not a non creepy way for that to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're not there because you're just you really get on with these No, you're in part like there, You're you're really lit up intellectually from the conversation at the drink party.
Speaker 1: I don't think so the best case scenario is like you have no friends and no sense of judgment. Uh, and yeah, yeah, feel like you get her along better with people who have less life experience.
Speaker 3: Because it's not even like this is like his hometown or something. No, like oh I knew like, oh I was a senior and this was a sophoire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were like they were yeah freshmen or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a new town and you're like hanging out. Yeah god no.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: One of the sources that I'm going to continue to quote from that Times article, two former students, both women, remembered him attending at least two parties where alcohol was served, but they said that the parties took place after graduation and that they were not bothered by his presence at the time, although they question it now. It was his first job out of yet he was cute. We didn't really think too much about it. Yeah, you kid, Yeah, that's why it's the adult's responsibility to wed. Yeah. Well, mister D shows up at a lot of parties.
Speaker 3: He's always taken a pictures.
Speaker 4: They're like, mister D's not a normal teacher, he's a cool tool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But then like five years later they're like, oh no.
Speaker 3: Wait yeah right, because it's also not even like high school like in twenty twenty, where like that is kind of like understood. It's like, no, this now that's weird. It's weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lots changed in the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good for that changing at least, yes, and hasn't changed any.
Speaker 1: It also hasn't changed it. So after this really creepy gap year, he enrolls in Harvard Law School. Again. He's doing this because he is trying to maximize his chance of like being accepted as a member of like the upper crust concert to get intelligence, rule the club.
Speaker 5: You want to be a part of the illuminati, you gotta do the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you got to do the gig. He claims now that he decided to go to Harvard because he was motivated by Tom Cruise's performance and a few good men, and yeah, like Tom's character. He became a judge advocate general, joins the Navy, and gets deployed to Iraq as a lawyer with a seal team. Now, because the Navy Seals have the reputation that they have among conservatives, Ron has attempted to beate. He's basically like claim like he will always say I deployed with the Seals, which is technically accurate, but he's clearly trying to like, like he's a lawyer, his job is when they go shoot people, to be like, yep, you're allowed to shoot these people like that. That's why what he was doing. He makes a big point about this now in all of his campaign events. He told a voter in New Hampshire this July, I'm the only veteran running out of all these candidates. Yeah, I'll be the first president elected since nineteen eighty eight who's actually served in a war. Now, that is true. Although he was not out, you know, getting shot at or doing anything. He was looking at paperwork. He was being a lawyer. He was also not universally popular among his comrades at the time. From the New Yorker quote, a colleague who served with DeSantis remembered Ron was a voracious worker, and he worked at phenomenal speed. He was a superb writer, especially for his age. But even then his ambitions seemed consuming. Ron's a user. The former colleague told me, you had utility to him. He would be nice to you. If you didn't, he wouldn't give you the time of day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I gotta say this is a little controversial, but I hate people like that, I really do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bold, bold plenty, of.
Speaker 5: Course he is. And it's like, yeah.
Speaker 3: This is also it's interesting because I mean, sure, we'll get into this, but it's that a lot of these elements are very heavily reflected in his governance. Yes, absolutely everything about how he approaches politics. And yeah, it's not a good guy. No bad bad meatball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bad meatball. Now you know what is a good meatball? Like, Yeah, oh, man, bison, you can make a fine bison meatball. You guys, what my uh my, my wild game meat recipe that I that I that I It's great if you've got like wild boar uh, you know, anything that's like kind of get get you know, if you've got like a bunch of ground up boar meat or whatever.
Speaker 3: Anything anything for like uh, impossible beef.
Speaker 1: You could you could do this with impossible beef. You could do this with like ground venison. I would get I would take a pound of ground venison, a pound of ground boar meat and mix them together with a whole sleeve of saltine crackers. Just crumble up in there. You crack one maybe two eggs in, stir it all together. Then you baste it with either barbecue sauce or ketchup, and you bake that ship in the oven. Uh, and you cook yourself a delicious meat loaf. It's perfect like food.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like when do we roll the meat loaf into balls?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I see no, no, no meat loaf.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: But because the loaf is the loaf is the strongest shape in nature, you could do a meat loaf ball, Katie. You could chop up meat loaf.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, that just sounds like a nice thing for.
Speaker 3: You know, It's like it's like the crab shape, how like it sort of independently appears in all all across nature. The loaf appears all across.
Speaker 5: So question, were we about to throw to ads?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yeah, that's what this whole thing is about.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yes, here's an ad Ah. We're back. And I wanted to delay this next part because it's horrible because after being in Iraq, Ron gets stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Now, this is by far the most contentious part of his backstory, and so I will be very careful in my phrasing here. In a two thousand and six interview with CBS, Decantists told his interviewer that at one point, several prisoners launched a hunger strike while he was at Guantana. He says that his commanding officer asked him, how do I combat this? And Ron answered, Hey, you can actually force feed. Here's what you can do. Here's kind of the rules for that. Now, there's some questionable elements of this recollection because force feeding started at Guantanamo somewhat slightly before Desanta's actually got sent there, So he's probably exaggerating in order to take credit for this what is torture?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: This is torture we're talking about.
Speaker 3: I actually invented a fun new way to torture people.
Speaker 1: Yes, hurting them was my idea. Ultimately, the Pentagon authorized force feeding. Detainees would be strapped to a chair, a nurse would force a lubricated tube down their nose and then would pump in nutritional supplements. Lawyers for detainees have argued that this was torture because force feeding is banned by a UN Convention against torture. Former inmates now released have accused DeSantis of having played a role in their torture. Mansour a Day wrote an article for Al Jazeera and described meeting DeSantis, who initially told him that he was at Guantanamo to ensure that prisoner's rights were respected. Quote. I remember him asking why we were all still on hunger strike. We told him to look around. Camp Delta was constructed from metal shipping containers, divided into cages with wire mesh. In the summer, the cages were like ovens. In the winter, they were cold and wet. They were loud, with huge fans and the echoes of all the men's voices. There was the persistent harassment by guards, desecration of Koran's non existent medical care systematic torture, and being cut off completely from the outside world. We told Dasantis we were on hunger strike because we wanted to know why we were being imprisoned, because we wanted a fair judicial process to prove our innocence. He took notes. He promised to register our complaints. Now Ron may or may not have registered their complaints, we don't know, but it had no impact on what happened next. Days later, a day fee was brought back to the wreck yard where nurses and Navy corman which is Navy medicisent were waiting with a restraint chair in several cases of insure. Ron de Santis and other JAG officers stood nearby observing quote. I was informed that the US government was determined to break the hunger strike. The doctor in charge, a colonel, told me that he did not care if I was innocent or protesting mistreatment. He was there for one thing to make me eat. I refused and was immediately and violently strapped into the chair so tightly that I could not move. A nurse forced a thick tube into my nose and down my throat, My nose bled, and the pain was so great that I thought my head would explode. The nurse would not stop. Instead, he began pouring insure into a feeder bag attached to the tube. They poured can after can into the feeder bag until my stomach and throat were so full that in sure poured back out of my mouth and nose. I thought I was going to drown if you throw up. A corman said, we'll start from the beginning with a new case and fill you up again. As I tried to break free, I noticed Dessantus's handsome face among the crowd at the other side of the chain link. He was watching me struggle. He was smiling and laughing with the other officers as I screamed in pain. Mm hmm, it is very upsetting. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Cody, you got a good meatball.
Speaker 3: Joke, uh something about Oh no. But I did think when you were describing this it sounded like you said, jack Off.
Speaker 5: I get you. I did you.
Speaker 1: That's good. I'm glad we pulled out of this tale.
Speaker 4: Also, I mean, there's been some references to him being handsome, and I don't agree with them.
Speaker 3: They keep saying he's handsome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, subjective, but I know.
Speaker 4: But multiple people, there's been multiple suggestions in today and I've.
Speaker 5: I take issues.
Speaker 1: It is really interesting that a specializes, like specifies that that he's like getting torture is like, damn it. Guy's kind of good though anyway, peculiar the things that occur to you when you're in an intense situation.
Speaker 3: So A.
Speaker 1: Dafy was one of several former inmates who claimed to have recognized DeSantis. He was featured along with several whistleblowers in an unreleased Vice documentary. The whistleblowers include a former US Naval sergeant, Joe Hickman. So, Joe was on guard duty during a night when three prisoners, the ring leaders of the hunger strike, died somewhat mysteriously. Our government claims that these guys all, we had a suicide pack together, right, that they committed suicide. Hickman does not agree with this. Again, he was on guard duty that night, and he believes the men were assassinated to restore order and put an end to the strike, which was very bad pr for the US government. From a write up by The Daily Beast quote Hickman, who later contributed as a whistleblower for the Justice Department's investigation into the deaths, recalled to Santis as popular and extremely handsome. So here we go again. Balls would go crazy. No, I'm not, I swear to God, I'm not. I'm not adding a like, it's just a thing that comes up with like all everyone from these girls at this, at the school he taught at to this sergeant to the duty was tort helping to torture all mention this. I don't I don't get it, but it's it's like an undeniable thing you have to you have to acknowledge it, Like yeah, yeah, I agree, I I do agree. For the record, I I don't understand this, and it makes me question my own sanity. It's like, it's like fucking being best friends with Jimmy Stewart in that movie where he sees the giant rabbit and you're just like, they're really a rabbit. Like he's so consistent about this.
Speaker 3: What am I missing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fucking Harvey somewhere around here. Yeah, great movie, by the way, Harvey, fucking absolute classic. Yeah classic. So yeah, I'm going to continue that quote. Navy girls would go crazy over him, Hickman said, although he added that he doesn't believe DeSantis, who became a jag straight out of Harvard law. I'd argue he's been a jag forever, would have been in the room that night. They weren't going to give somebody like that that kind of responsibility, Hickman said in the transcript. So that Vice documentary was canceled at the last minute for very shady but unclear reasons. It seems likely that it was killed to avoid angering a potential future president out of cowardice at the highest levels of a failing media company. But I just really have nothing more to say because it's unclear still at this point. In the spring of two thousand and six, Ron met his future wife, Casey, at a driving range at the University of North Florida, again not flow Rida. He and his wife did not meet on flow Rida. Again.
Speaker 3: Get we got that.
Speaker 1: The subreddit fills with confusion every time we mentioned this, so I just want to make sure we're really keeping it straight. It is from this period that we get our only context on Ron's flirtation techniques, which I know everyone's very excited to learn about.
Speaker 3: How does the handsome man flirt?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read you.
Speaker 2: How are you gonna regret asking that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is how he opens with his future wife. Hello, somebody left these balls behind? Would you like to have them? Y? No, golf, it's a driving rage. Yeah, balls, Yeah, very very funny. This works on Casey and their first date is that evening at Beef o Brady's, which is apparently a restaurants.
Speaker 3: I'd like balls. Some people say I'm very handsome.
Speaker 1: Some people this guy I tortured. I'm very handsome.
Speaker 3: This guy tortured and teenage girls. He's got a.
Speaker 1: Poster in his like like, I imagine his apartment is completely empty aside from a pillow and a blanket on the floor and a poster he made that says like people who think I am attractive guys I tortured at Guantadamo teenagers.
Speaker 3: Sergeant you question? Mark? Uh?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Jill Casey Black, usually called Casey, had grown up in Troy, Ohio, one of two daughters of an optometrist and a speech pathologist. She had also been an active student athlete and had done very well in school. She went to the University of Charleston and graduated with a degree in economics and French She competed as an equestrian and had started a promising career as a reporter and on screen talent for the local Jacksonville station wj t x U. The one story I found of her as a as a TV reporter is that there was a story about an alligator that had gotten into a suburban neighborhood, which she described as a story with real teeth if you're if you're curious as to the level of rigor she brought to journalism as a profession.
Speaker 3: You know what they call getting a degree in economics and French?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: Monet? Okay, studying monette. No, studying monette.
Speaker 1: You're proud of yourself, aren't you. Yeah, studying money. Yeah, we get it.
Speaker 3: It's like wait, wait, wait, we get it.
Speaker 1: No yeah, good, good one, Thank you, good one, buddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they get hitched in two thousand and nine at Disney World.
Speaker 4: Oh now, how about that?
Speaker 1: That is funny because of the war he's going to have with Disney later.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By all accounts, it's not a very Disney Disney wedding. There's not like Mickey or any characters hanging around. They go to Epcot after, which is like the least Disney thing to do at Disney World. I think it's more of a rich Florida people thing than a Disney super fan thing, right, like Disney World's just.
Speaker 3: Yay, Yeah you got to get you get the photos. Yeah, yeah, oh I got the prince is here and the other prince. Oh the Prince is over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Uh so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The two are a famously power couple in Florida politics, where Ron is tight lipped and reserved and introverted. Casey is an extrovert. She's going to do when he runs for office. She does a lot of on the ground campaigning, even like knocking on doors for him. She does a lot of introducing him at evinsign stuff like. She is the talker of the two of them.
Speaker 5: She's more likable.
Speaker 3: Here's my weird husband by far. Yeah, here's handsome. Look at me.
Speaker 5: Just look at him. Don't listen to his word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll talk. I'm attractive and charismatic. Please ignore my husband's words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I studied money in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way to go, Cody. So these ambitions and she is, you know, the two are, by all accounts, deeply in love and partners in Ron's political ambitions, and those ambitions would become evident for the first time in twenty twelve when Ron noticed that the newly drawn sixth district in Florida had again not flow Rida, Florida had an open campaign for Congress. It was a tweener district in between Jacksonville and Orlando and had no incumbent. Because of the demographics of the district, it would be a guaranteed win for any Republican who could win the nomination. With Casey at his side, meetball Ron decided he was going to be that Republican and we will talk about that and his rise to power in part two.
Speaker 3: God, here's also something to say about the phrase tweener district.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ron's yeah, it's uncomfortable to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, tweens. Yeah yeah. His wife is age appropriate though, so good for that.
Speaker 1: That is good. Yeah, yeah, yeah he is. He is married to an adult. That's positive shows growth.
Speaker 4: Mm.
Speaker 5: I'd like to end things on a positive note.
Speaker 3: Yeah, modern politics.
Speaker 5: Yeah great, Well, thanks for having us here for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How you feeling, guys?
Speaker 3: I feel excited to see Meet ball Ron up on stage. Just yeah, you know, just being around, just just being himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just be and just you, just be yourselves. You know, if you are a relentlessly dedicated psychopath who wants to become the president purely for reasons of self gratification, don't let anything stop you, you know, relentlessly craft a life towards that goal. Uh and and proceed on a rocket ship like course towards it until fucking Biff Tannon calls you meetball Ron and utterly and iholates all of your dreams in a single shot back to the Earth. Yeah, it's like the Death Star shooting a taxi cab.
Speaker 3: Just absolutely wiped out some taxi.
Speaker 1: Hands, some taxi cab. Anyway, you guys got some plugs.
Speaker 5: Sure you got shows?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we got shows. Yeah, check us out. We got a YouTube show called some more News. It's also a podcast, and we have a companion podcast called even more News.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah you do.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, we do gues. I've got oh we've got a Patreon for that as well, Patreon dot com. S hast some more News. I've got a band called the Hot Shapes. It has an album out now. Check it out on band camp and SoundCloud. The Hot Shapes dot band camp dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: Work with this out where we split up the plugs because yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Got it all well, you said, you said, Cody go, so I did. But then I was like, well, O, Katie's not going to want to plug my band.
Speaker 4: Oh you're right, Yeah, I agree with what he said, but also I do want to plug his band.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, listen to.
Speaker 4: His yeah stuff. Check it out, all right, the next episode probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see you next episode. You can find us at Cooler Zone Media. If you want to get this without ads, you can subscribe, and uh, I'm gonna I'm gonna also put in a free plug for a YouTube channel that I like. Just just google Bobby Fingers YouTube. Watch the watch the Steven Sagall video first. You'll be pleasantly surprised. All right, no, no, no, this is just like my favorite thing that exists. This this artist. I don't know why he doesn't have tody. You need to you need to watch these videos. Bobby Fingers.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know, I don't know. I'm not familiar with this, but the thumbnails.
Speaker 1: Are Yes, I have no way to describe this to you. There's three videos so far. Watch the one about Steven Seagal. That's all I'll tell you listeners. I have no affiliation with this guy.
Speaker 4: I just love him, all right, all right, looking forward to that support.
Speaker 3: Supporting Bye Bye.
Speaker 2: Bye Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.