Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Remember when Florida Gulf Coast was a thing, that was dunk City, that was fun Andy Enfield. Then he parlayed that into USC and then USC he went to see like TCU or SMU. Does that sound right? I'm not sure where Andy Enfield is, but I because, uh, maybe it's SMU. Yes, it's got some letters in it. He's at SMU confirmed. Okay, all right, Tarhels had ninety five points. RJ. Davis is right now the active leader in NCAA tournament scoring. He's played in eleven tournament games. He's got one hundred and seventy seven points. Stat of the day, stat of the day, that best stat of the day. Stat of the day. Here comes what stat of the day? All right, So North Carolina rolls Alabama State at the Buzzer tonight, Mount Saint Mary's against American, Xavier against Texas. Jim Beheim will join us coming up here in a little bit. Dodgers over the Cubs. They're two and oh they have two wins and nobody else in baseball has any wins right now as they go back and now they're going to resume spring training. Shoheyo Tani Homer Sasak looked interesting. He walked five guys, struck out three, and feels like you're either gonna strike out or you're going to walk against him. He started out. His first three pitches were one hundred to one hundred and one hundred. Pritzy's not here today, You'll be back tomorrow. Dylan is here offering gambling advice Fate Arizona. Nay, yeah, gambling, you know. Luke and Charlotte called in. He goes, Uh. Can I ask a betting question to Dylan? All right, Luke, go ahead, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Dylan. So, I had a concept, a theory of putting ten dollars on every money line underdog in the first round. There's a couple that are negative on our minus money on both teams. So I think it'd be about thirty bets, just straight bets. And I'm pretty sure it's like guaranteed to profit something good mover bad mode.
Speaker 4: You're parlaying them or putting ten dollars on each game.
Speaker 2: Oh, Marvin just tongue up money.
Speaker 4: Well, at first I thought he said he was going to put a ten dollars parlays what I start to thirty games, which is I mean basically as good of a guarantee as you'll get them to lose.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, you are the king of losing parlays. I am.
Speaker 4: Everyone is kind of the king of losing parlays, though I just maybe do it more publicly than.
Speaker 5: The average person.
Speaker 2: It's don't do parlays.
Speaker 4: There's a reason that they really really want you to take them.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because it looks like, well, that's I get six points added to four points. I'm going to win this. And it's always the last bet, the last bet of your parley, the last leg of your parlay, where you go, hey, that one's going to hit. I'm going to win, and then all of a sudden, you don't. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you. That's our streaming partner. We say hello to our radio affiliates around the country, around the world. We'll talk to Jim Beheim. Coming up now. We brought up something at the end of last hour, and there's a soccer league, the USL here in the United States, and they are going to do promotion in relegation. You have that with the Premier League and those last game most leagues outside the United States. So those last couple of games of the last game on the last day of the season, and you're either staying up in the top tier or you're being relegated. And I have said for a long long time to anybody who will listen to me, including the head of the SEC and the head of the NCAA, relegation would be awesome. In college football. Let's say I have sixty teams. Let's say that's what the model is going to be, and that will be your siri h how about that? Say yeah, the sii ah yes, And to stay there, you have to maintain being one of the top sixty teams. Now, I don't know what's going to decide who gets relegated who gets promoted, but I do think having that at the end of the year, Let's say you had power rankings and you had to be the top sixty. So that team that's sixty first or sixty second is waiting to see what happens to you in your last game of the regular season, and even bowl games. You could have bowl games matter and they would really factor in. Let's say with some of these teams that you could fall out, somebody moves up, you get relegated. Therefore you're not playing with the top tier talent. Man, the money won't be the same. You have this in you know, soccer leagues around the world. Now, the USL is going to adopt the Premier League model here with promotion and relegation. I don't know how we would do unless we did power rankings, but to be able to say, all right, these are the top sixty and then the other ones after that. You know, if you win the FBS Championship, are you now the sixty first team? Like how could you move up? Or how do you get relegated? But I am fascinated with that model because it makes every game important. And imagine if you did this in other sports. We talk about the NBA, these games don't matter. What if they mattered what all? How about you had a team in the G League ready to go that they were going to be that next team and they were going to move up, and all of a sudden, the Charlotte Horne and it's now, are you know, playing in Sioux Falls in you know, Maine and some of these places, they get relegated. It's not going to happen, but I think it could happen in college football? I do, yes, yeah, pulling.
Speaker 6: If this were last year, for example, twenty twenty four college football season. There is a thing, an official thing called the College Football Power Index each year and it goes from week to week, and it's your schedule, your wins, your home versus away, your point differential, and last year the power rankings. Of course, Ohio State was number one. The last team in college football last year would have been the Kent State Golden Flashes of the MAC. So let's say Kent State got relegated and North Dakota State won the FCS title. They have the opportunity or choice or whatever or obligation to go up to the MAC and join Division One. That would be promotion relegation cleanly in college football.
Speaker 2: But we're talking about the top sixty teams.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm just saying last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't want to. I want to do top sixty.
Speaker 6: Yes, if you did, Okay, So the sixtieth.
Speaker 2: Ranks Kent State was one of the world teams in.
Speaker 6: All of Yes, so last year the sixtieth ranked team, wo hoo, man, it may have been the Oklahoma State Cowboys.
Speaker 7: There you go, perfect, perfect a team that could be up and sometimes is down.
Speaker 2: They kind of live on that line.
Speaker 7: That is a perfect example of what makes Proro great.
Speaker 2: And if you went into the last game, I just I think you could have Now it may not happen, like you're not falling out where you're going to be playing in minor league towns. You're still going to play, but your schedule now you make less money because you're not in the upper tier. Now you're playing secondary teams with the opportunity to get a good record and a power ranking to move up into the top sixty. But I think that would be an interesting dynamic if you were able to do that all these professional sports that we have, like it's nothing's interesting until it gets closer to the postseason. Now, it would make all of these games, especially if you had college football where you have fourteen games. Now every week is important, every single week, and then you'll have games that are really important to get into the fourteen team playoff, and then you'll have really important games to just stay in the top sixty in college football.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, can you imagine the level of the commitments that happened if Oklahoma State ends up losing like Oh they're relegated that fire stubber cruise and not coming to still water.
Speaker 2: Anymore the transfer portal.
Speaker 8: Like nil, Like what happened? Like, oh boy, look at all this money we lost.
Speaker 2: But okay, what's this mean for soccer in the United States? Because this is something that we don't do well.
Speaker 7: So there's two really main bodies in soccer in the United States, MLS and USL, and they're very much competitors, and they're very much like sort of in a war of trying to gobble up as many cities as they can to expand as fast as they can. So USL announcing that their instituting pro rel is very much like a shot at MLS. It's probably what a lot of people would consider to be a more pure form of the game. Whereas MLS is a closed league, meaning if you lose doesn't really matter, and the only way to get in you can't win your way into MLS. You have to buy your way in. So in order to get into MLS you need about three hundred million dollars, a gigantic stadium, and the city that approves.
Speaker 2: You need all these things.
Speaker 7: In a league that has promotion and relegation, you could start a team today in Milford and be in that soccer pyramid and eventually win your way up to the highest.
Speaker 2: Level like Wrexham is doing with Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 7: Wrexham is a team that was once at the very top of the of soccer in England, top of the table, top of the table. Yeah, they're like the Dallas Cowboys say they're huge, and then they they lost their way all the way down into what's called the National League, which is like almost like a semi pro league. It's I think five tiers below. And then Ryan Reynolds in that group they bought Wrexham and now they've since been promoted three i think three straight times, so they've won their way back up to the second tier. Now it's a massive story. It's a huge thing in soccer. You don't really see anything like that to be promoted, you know, two three straight times. So they're just outside of championship. They're just outside of the Premier League.
Speaker 2: And college football has that soccer atmosphere to it because you're talking about communities. You're talking about you know, ann Arbor, Michigan and Columbus, Ohio, Baton Rouge, and that's what you have with soccer as well, So that passion for your town, your city being relegated would be an interesting dynamic to add to it.
Speaker 7: Yes, there's definitely an element of civic pride to soccer. Like I could compare it to college. You think about high school, right, and you had all of the towns around you that you really wanted to beat, you had rivalries with all your towns. We'll take that and put millions of dollars behind it and call it professional.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: So say in the NFL, I'm a Patriots fan, but I don't really have a connection to the Patriots. I'm born in New Jersey, I'm in Connecticut. I'm mostly doing it for the bit at this point anyway. But if it was the Hartford team that they got to play the Patriots, I would be all in because that's my hometown. That's where I live. I've lived there for twenty five years now, you know. So that's like that when you put a team out there, it's like those are our boys, and they live in our city and they're representing us, and I want them to beat every other city around us.
Speaker 2: Give me the teams that hovered around the sixty mark of the top sixty teams in college football.
Speaker 6: So let's say your model of sixty teams, who would be in that relegation zone last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oklahoma State is there.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: California Golden Bears would have been fifty fourth. You sell a Bruins fifty fifth. The Duke Blue Devils were sixty on the nose, the West Virginia Mountaineer sixty three, North Carolina tar Heels sixty four. Those are some serious football programs, semi serious football programs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack, those games would mean so much.
Speaker 7: It'd be the atmosphere is unreal. And there's no such thing as well, not in college football. But if you take the NFL or you take the NBA or whatever, there's no such thing as tanking. You know, tanking is completely eliminated.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 7: Losing will never ever ever benefit you in a pro role model, You'll always have to win.
Speaker 2: Joe and Ohio, Hi, Joe, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Conan, about the relegation idea. I've thought about this for a while now, and I was thinking, taken to sixty four top teams, make eight team divisions. Winners of each of those divisions goes on and plays in a bowl and the playoffs eighteen playoffs, then take the last two teams and relegate them in a bowl game against the next thirty two team or the next what is that sixteen teams that finished sixty five, seventy whatever, and then those teams. If you win, you stay in the top tier. If you lose, you go down the team that beach it comes up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something there. I don't know if we're ready for it. But once you have the top football programs secede from the Union, I don't know if it's fifty, I don't know if it's forty, but you're gonna have more playoff spots. But I think you could have all the drama at the top with the playoffs and all this drama, this build in drama with the teams just trying to stay in the top fifty teams. I think it'd be I think it'd be a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pulling based off that model. He just said, a playoff game to stay in Division one. Last year it would have been James Madison versus Duke in a bowl game to stay and not get relegated.
Speaker 2: Then you're watching a game that you know, I do believe in keeping the ball games, because if you win the Orange Bowl, then you're going to be playing in the whatever Citrus Bowl or the Rose Bull to get a national champion. I still want to, you know, ensure the integrity of some of those bowl games, but some of these other bowl games, you know, the Pooling Weed Eater Bowl. All of a sudden, if you have these two schools that they have to win to stay or they get relegated.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, does that have to be in somebody's contract that you have to play in this bowl game.
Speaker 2: If there's nil? Yes, yes, I need you to play Rayah in Detroit.
Speaker 10: Hi Riyah, Hey, Hi Dan, Jillia, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hi? Good?
Speaker 10: First time? Long time? Is rather shocking to get through you. It's kind of funny. I think I'm supposed to say sixteen one to ninety five. So I just I love listening to the idea of relegation, just because it's so impossible for the idea that the owners professional sports going to do that in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they won't do it, but I'm talking about in college. In college football is probably the only model that it would work.
Speaker 10: I do have a suggestion for you that I could work for professional sports though that I thought would be interesting is that with all the revenue sharing, that if your team loses or to try and get tanking out of the game, you could have revenue sharing proportionate to success. So you might get good draft picks by being bad, but you might lose out on revenue, which would maybe eliminate some of the ideas of tanking. So I just thought i'd throw that out there for you guys as suggestion for something.
Speaker 2: So I have a great thank you ill do you? Yeah? I mean it's fun, but you know, this is what leagues need to do. You have to have Baseball has done this where you have to say, Okay, what's next, what do we need to do? How do we up the tension?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: When I talked to the commissioner and I suggested to him make the NBA players play at least sixty five games so they can qualify for postseason awards, he took me up on it. Don't have first, second, third team positions on all NBA, just basketball player as a basketball player. He adopted that as well. I don't know if I could suggest to the commissioner and that he hasn't entertained it already, and that would be what if you created something where you benefit by winning revenue? You win, you might get draft picks, you might be in the lottery, but you're going to win it one end and lose it the other end. I don't know if that ups the tension, but I think the NBA should consider these things. Baseball is considered a lot of things and down in five or ten years from now, we could look back and go, that's not the way it was. That's not what I grew up. Boy, that's different, Boy, that's unique. Well, that's fascinating. This is what happens. Like these things, they move at a glacier pace and then all of a sudden somebody makes a change. Next thing, you know, we just accepted Jim Beheim will join us. Coming up next. We'll get more phone calls as well. Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kobin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Is Jim Beheim. He's the former Syracuse head coach won a national title in two thousand and three. I was wondering how many over your basketball career. How many teams do you think changed basketball with their style of play?
Speaker 5: What? What is this? This is like a hard question.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, jeez.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, like Jamar Chase would like any city he's getting paid fifteen millionf whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could live in Syracuse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, God's place on Earth?
Speaker 2: Okay? How many teams changed? College festival? Okay? Okay?
Speaker 5: Could you get rid of some of these things in front of you? What is this? Are you selling these things? Or what the bible?
Speaker 2: People's like? I have friends I have You're not used to this. I have friends who send me stuff and.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, they send the ugly stuff and then you put them there. I mean, I'll send you something nice.
Speaker 2: Jeez, what do you what would you send me?
Speaker 5: I'll send you one of my little bracelets I just got. I'll send you one of these or something. But anyway, changing what teams changing? What change?
Speaker 2: Give me the teams like un L V Georgetown, did they change basketball with their style of play? Loyal and Merrymount, Come on you you should know all of this.
Speaker 5: Paul west d was unique and he play coach that way, and he coached that way Women's and won championships, championship for the Lakers. You want a championship in the w n b A. People don't know that. It's a little known fact. But all you do is run, and it really didn't work overall, I don't think, but it was unique to him. John Thompson had a style at Georgetown, physical, tough. They haven't been so good since he left there. You know. Louis had a style at Saint John's half court, play defense, and he won more games than anybody there until this new guy's there now, pattinom you know, I recruited on his honeymoon. But he's got a whole different style. All coaches have a different style. Bobby Knight had a style one. Dean Smith had a more multiple style, more different things. Roy Williams coached like that. But Rick has a certain way of playing, and he's I thought it would take him a year to two to get to the tournament, and he did it as he did in six schools, six different schools, losing records at six schools, NCAA tournament by the second year, and championships and final fours. He's probably the best coach of getting the most out of players in the history of basketball. He can take anybody and get them to play Louisvina one national championship with guys that know not nobody, but very few guys recruited his players. The guys at Saint John's not a lot of known players, and guys that struggle. Shooting doesn't matter. Rick Patino can coach. He'll be coaching when you and I are retired. You're I'm retired, but I'm still. I don't call doing media stuff working. It's just no, you don't call this gurub No. I'm disappointed about my brackets. I don't think I'm going to win the bracket this year. I just couldn't get a good feel for it. In fact, last night I didn't even realize that I'll Alavemba State. I was almost pulling for Saint Francis, and then I woke up and realized I had Aleman.
Speaker 2: Didn't you win? Do you want it? Last year? Didn't you?
Speaker 5: I killed over? But I picked n C State. I knew they were going to do that. I kind of picked North Carolina. That's why I'm wearing my North Carolina colors here. I picked North Carolina to go away in the tournament. This year. I think it's a chalk tournament, but I think North Carolina is a lot better teams, and everybody in the country says they shouldn't be in. They looked at one Metric one twelve in the Quad. They didn't look at the fact that they're ahead of the bubble teams and ahead of the last four teams in the overall combined metrics Ken Palm Net all those they're at thirty seven. Those other schools are forty forty one. So North Carolina is nine and two the last eleven games. Who do they lose to? I picked for the name champ. I got to the defense. Malawatch is one of the best big defensive centers I've seen in a long time. In a long time. He goes back to the like Patrick Ewing type defensive centers. People probably don't remember him. I can't get more. I get something more modern. But you know, con Cain Nipple's tremendous shooting guard. Tremendous shooting guard. The kid from Tulane transferred in is really good, a physical man. Proctor is really good. And they got the best player in the country. You can argue about whatever. He's the best player He's the best all round player that I've seen since Grant Hill. Grant Hill is the only guy that block shots, played defense, made shots, rebounded, and passed, and he won a couple of national championships. I think it's.
Speaker 2: Always what could have been? You know, I look at Grant Hill, what could have been? Because before he had all those injuries and surgeries, and you know, he was he was special.
Speaker 5: He'd have been one of the top five ten players of all time, no doubt about it. They'll never catch Michael, but they're all there's so many great players who watched the NBA. People knock it, but to watch Steph Curry plays is a privilege. Jnas Golkic, did you River Jordan? No, No, you know, he was kind of unknown, but I mean people kind of knew, but he was from You don't go into North Carolina and recruited kid that North Carolina wants to get.
Speaker 2: What about Patrick Ewing?
Speaker 5: We were one of the twenty eight schools that visited him and is in Boston, and you almost knew he was going to Georgetown, but you tried, you know, you tried. You know it was but it you know he was going to go to Georgetown. It's like Alonzo morning. He wanted to visit here, so we brought him in because he wanted to visit because his friends with Billy Owens. You want to come up. So I said, Anzo, now, let's just get this out of the way. Like the first day, I said, let's get this out of the way so we don't have to talk for two or three days. You're going to go to Georgetown, right, he laughed, Yeah, yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: Why did you hate Georgetown so much?
Speaker 5: You know, I never I really didn't hate. It was such an intense rivalry and the fans hated. They really hated. John and I at first really bumped heads. It was so I mean, it was such a big game and it was so much on it. But after a few years, it took a few years, it kind of mellowed a little and mellowed and we became friends and the rivalry wasn't what it was. But there was nothing like the Big East then. I mean, it was the ACC. It's a great league. It's down more than it's ever been down right now, because they don't understand about paying athletes. They understand that in some of these other leagues they've been doing it a while, but they have to pay. You have to pay athletes. But the old Big East, you played everybody twice, nine schools to start out. Fierce rivalries. You know, Rick was talking about this Patino, you know he's in the league. Luke Carna, second, Jim Calhoun, John Thompson, Rowley Massimino. You know, I think he mentioned me. I'm not sure. I think I was sixth Jim behind. But you know, Paul Evans was the great coach, was at Pittsburgh. PJ who was a great talker, was at Seaton Hall and a great coach too. Uh. It was a different league. And you know, and when Jay came to Villanova, a kid ja all the time. You never won when we were there, but he went a lot after that. It was a great league and we had a fierce rivalry. No lie, no nothing, no question about it. Thirty four thousand people came in here to see big John Thompson and the game he got thrown out. He was so happy, he was just waving to everybody. And you know, thirty four thousand people were on their feet. It was a great spectacle and I enjoyed being part of it. It was just one of a kind and Rick Patino's keeping it going. He knows how to coach.
Speaker 2: He's Jim Beheim Hall of Famer. Well, you know, I tried to explain Rick Patino. It feels like, you know, when he was at Providence and Billy Donovan is playing and he had guards, they were shooting three like he was ahead of his time with that. Yeah, well he.
Speaker 5: Was ahead of his time. In terms of practicing. They worked out in the morning. You know, they come back for individual instruction during the day, and then they practice, and then they would do study table and then they would shoot foul shots at night. It's Saturdays. They practice morning afternoon, maybe night Sunday. You can't do that today, I.
Speaker 2: Mean theoretical, not supposed to.
Speaker 5: But it was intense. The coaches worked out. He pushed and he still pushes. He demands everything from his player's history. Hour practice is as intense as anybody's ever and he does all phases of the game, and he understands the game. He sees the game better than anybody that I know in terms of coaching twenty four hours a day, and he he's still probably ran on the limits of the hours.
Speaker 2: Let's not get in trouble here.
Speaker 5: No No, No, he's unfound the rules.
Speaker 2: But I mean, but do you put him up there with coach K? Do you put him up there with John Wooden?
Speaker 5: Well, John Winn's by himself. He wont to eleven. Forget that he's by himself. Coach K is the best coaching about an Arab basketball you know, there's no question about it. Underrated Jim Calhoun. Media people didn't like him, so they don't talk about him. Very underrated. Coach Danny Hurley is an up and coming guy in that category. But for a guy to take any team, any players, the furthest it's Rick Patina, no doubt.
Speaker 2: In my mind, where's still Jackson in that?
Speaker 5: Well, he's an NBA coach. I usually don't really talk about NBA coach. He's you know, it's him ran our Back, you know Popovich. Those are the NBA coaches and everybody's as well. He had great players. Nobody ever won anything without a great player. You know, if you win a championship in most cases in the NBA, you have a great player. You had Jack and Kobe and Jordan and Duncan you know named the team that won they had a great player or two.
Speaker 2: Do you worry about Danny Hurley being that intense.
Speaker 5: No, No, his father was like that and he's still alive.
Speaker 2: But he was doing high school basketball.
Speaker 5: Bob Hurley was more intense than Danny Hurley. He coached, he took he was a probation offer. He took two weeks of vacation and coached summer camp all day long during summer camp and at night during the summer. He coached at night every night. So Danny's like his father. He's a little crazier, I think.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 5: I'm glad he didn't go in the NBA. I don't think it would to work. But he's a great college coach. You know, when you lose, you go crazy. That's what we do. He just goes. He's always been like that. He didn't do it the last two years because he had a great team. You don't have to go crazy when you have great teams. But when you're losing, you tend to look at everything as an insult to you.
Speaker 2: And how many times did you get thrown out of a game?
Speaker 5: I only got thrown out of one exhibition game, and it was it was in Syracuseton. It was I was yelling at one guy and the other guy threw me out. What the heck?
Speaker 2: And it was an exhibition game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exhibition game. It was crazy, But I got, I never got. I got. The last twenty years I coached, I got maybe ten twelve technicals. Maybe they don't do any good.
Speaker 2: How many times do you do it on purpose? Though?
Speaker 5: Most of them? Yeah, they don't do any good and it doesn't help you. With the referees, they don't.
Speaker 2: Do they hold a grudge, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I think most officials you're on them a little bit. It's human nature. If you're not on them at all, they probably think they're helping you. So you've gotta be on it. You know they Why isn't they? And you can't tell me that. Guys like John Thompson, Dean Smith, they influence referees, trust me, not all, but a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Thanks for filling out a bracket and good luck to Carolina there. My best of the family is always.
Speaker 5: As always, thank you, and send.
Speaker 2: Me some send me some stuff, send me something, send you something better than that. Send me some gear. I mean, I don't know, send me something.
Speaker 5: I don't have gear anymore.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you ESPN gear.
Speaker 5: I can tell you that, thank you, coach, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Jim Beaheim. Of course, his wife loves me. What's not the love. We'll take a break, last call for phone calls. What we learned once in store tomorrow right after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Jamar Chase plays for the Bengals, and he was to ask about why he likes playing in Cincinnati, and here's what he had to say.
Speaker 13: For me, I like Cincinnati because it gives me the opportunity to come here and focus. No, I'm not distracted out here. It's not too much too many things to get me and you know, off pace out here, you know, and it's strictly what I'm focused on. That's really tone vision for me to play football. So I mean, at the end of the day, the food's not the best. We could work on that, but it's I'm not used to the food yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, but for forty million dollars a year, you can hire a chef. He's from New Orleans, so let's be fair. If you're going to compare Cincinnati cuisine to New Orleans. Cincinnati is going to come up just a little bit short there. Skyline, gold Star, White Castle, some of the great food groups there in Cincinnati. You know, we didn't know better. I mean I grew up and I was like, pizza hut man. You know, so my wife's from New York. She goes, have you had good pizza before? I said pizza hut She goes, no, I mean good pizza. I go like, what do you mean? And then you go to New York and you go, Okay, I get it. Skyline, Chili, gold Star Chili. I was fine with all of that, White Castle, Hamburgers. I'm good with that. I just didn't know that. Once I got out of Ohio, then I started to realize that once again, I grew up in a household where I thought seafood was Missus Paul's fish sticks. I had never had seafood, and so yeah, I know I had to develop my palate. Jamar Chase has already developed his growing up in New Orleans. So yeah, maybe there's not a lot of excitement in Cincinnati, which means there's more reason to believe that you can focus and lead this team back to the playoffs. He didn't say boring, right, You just said that there's not a lot of things that will kind of take him off his schedule.
Speaker 6: Yes, I went to Cincinnati for the first time at age fourteen. I'd heard about the Skyline Chili Dogs. I thought they were fantastic, A big mound of cheese and huge chili dogs.
Speaker 2: I was fourteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, people in all cities get really defensive with their home foods.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Seaton, I'm sorry, there is a little bit of like a go ahead, like, oh, you're going to sit today, all right?
Speaker 2: Which one Skyline or gold Stars?
Speaker 7: Like, uh, neither.
Speaker 2: But then you have a favorite Hamburger.
Speaker 7: Place or well, yeah, I mean it's not my fault that for a city as large and as populated as Los Angeles, their main output is a cheap, you know, fast food burger place.
Speaker 2: But yeah, how dare you? Seaton goes out of his way to mention In and Out Burger.
Speaker 7: It is one of my most favorite I know, I know, oh, I know, I'm gonna get for the next New weeks. I'm gonna get people very upset that I just don't see what's so great about In and Out?
Speaker 10: You just.
Speaker 2: Who ordered for you. Well, that's the problem. Yeah, yeah, I didn't take it personally when somebody said they didn't like gold Stars Skyline chili, It's like, okay, it's spaghetti with chili on it, and you throw cheese. You can get a three way four way onions on it. You know, it's all right. I'm okay. I survived.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dylan, Well did you survive because you haven't been living there for however many years?
Speaker 2: Well, I had lived there long enough that that was a food staple that we would.
Speaker 4: Have since he runs on chili.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm okay with it. But people get territorial, especially pizza. Pizza feels like that's the one seed. Or a burger. Yeah, I was in Panama. I went there to go undergo stem cell for my body, all this inflammation I have. And I'm with the guy who's from Ohio's in there for stem cell. He says to my wife, and I have you had the burger at the hotel? I said, na, He goes, It's the best burger I've ever had. And the guy was probably close to seventy years of age. And I go, come on, the best burger, goes, I promise you. I get done with my stem cell treatment and go back to the hotel. I'm there with my wife and she goes, do we order the burger? I said, I have to. It's the best burger I've ever had in my life. It was spectacular and I would go back, not for stem cell. I'd go back for that burger. It was I don't know what they did, it was spectacular and it was where I said to my wife, I said, I on three, one, two, take a bite, and all of a sudden and I said, you go first. She goes no. I said, it's the best, and we said at the same time, it's the best burger I've ever had.
Speaker 4: How skeptical were you of it actually being any good?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've they have great food in Panama. There were great restaurants. I just didn't know at a hotel that I'm going to have my best burger ever, but I did. By the way, get your brackets in. Do I have any updates on celebrities were joining us, PAULI.
Speaker 6: Yeah, A bunch more just turned theirs in, Ross Hooker, Jim Parsons, the Lovely and Talented Rebecca Lowe is in Joey Vado from Japan, sent his in.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's from Canada, but he's in Japan. Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: Kevin Mala and Jason Garrett, Johnny Bench is in all right, JB. And the Great Brent Musburger is in.
Speaker 2: Hello, you were looking live. I gave Hello friends to Brent. You were looking hello friends, you're looking at I know Fritzy reached out to some women using local news anchors or Jennifer Lawrence the actress. Yes, no he did not hear. That's good. I'm glad we well known college basketball. Yes, Jennifer Lawrence knows her hoops. She's from Kentucky. She probably does know her hoops. This day in sports history, pool, I'll.
Speaker 6: Just give you one a little hockey. Brett Hall of the Saint Louis Blues became the third NHL player to score eighty goals in a single season. That was nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Character his dad's character, but Brett, He's character as well. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program? Dylan in for fritz seat, What did you learn today?
Speaker 4: We should have all bet on unc last.
Speaker 2: I know that's what he said. I said, Why didn't you say that yesterday?
Speaker 4: Because hindsight's twenty twenty day.
Speaker 2: Thank you the Seaton.
Speaker 7: Would you learn rgi Thie left college early so we didn't have to play basketball.
Speaker 2: I know, not really, Marvin.
Speaker 8: You're not a guy that reads books.
Speaker 2: Paul on the beach, I don't.
Speaker 6: Paul Seaton's a pro well pioneer.
Speaker 2: That's promotion and relegations that we made it out of advanced Yes,