Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, we are really really close to crowning an NBA champ. I like the Celtics, by the way, especially in Game one. How about you sign up for DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the NBA. They'll cover it every step of the way. Takes in ninety seconds to download the thing. They got same game parlays live betting odds boosts. I like doing my parlays two and three team parlays. We've actually had a really good year with parlays Warriors during the regular season. Let's cross our fingers. I got a Celtic one that's coming up that's pretty tasty. If you're a new customer, go check it out at DraftKings. Bet five bucks. That's at five bucks, get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets instantly. You bet five, get one hundred and fifty bucks only on DraftKings. The crown is yours. I'm leaning Celtics in six baby.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting. Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See dkang dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Welcome into part two of the podcast with Nick Right. So, I'm gonna throw something at you that I think is fascinating. I don't think we've ever broached this time. Okay, So this week I was reading on the internet. There was an NBA player, we know, Jason Tatum really coveted time with Kobe Brant. Yeah, he really enjoyed time. Their basketball ideology is different. You know, one is the ultimate at times selfish closer. The other guy's more collaborative, more of a giver. But it was it was a player talking about his career, and he said it was Klay Thompson who said, I'm not here.
Speaker 4: Without Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 1: Like Kobe Bryant was my messiah. Everything funneled through Kobe. And it's really interesting since his death, people are often more willing to say that when somebody passes, to honor them, to say God, that person meant so much to me. And we've heard lots of people say it. Lebron said it about Michael Jordan or about Kobe. Kyrie just said he was about him being a mentor and a guy who looked up to all of it.
Speaker 4: Yep, don't you find it fascinating?
Speaker 1: Find a single quarterback who says I structure my whole game around Brady.
Speaker 4: I've never seen one.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating because I thought you were going to say Aaron there, and I was like, oh, Haaleb said, and a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: Are Aaron name.
Speaker 1: I thought you were you were going and I was like, oh, I think you're wrong enough, But Brady, you're right about that. Fine.
Speaker 2: Isn't that fascinating? And so here's what I thought. This is my take is that there are a lot of ways to be successful, but the most great athletes are entertainers, artists, singers. They're all really artists. They're really all artists. Brady, less so than any great athlete at all, bordered on mechanical and efficient. He basically was the cheat code. He had the answers to the test. He literally walked to the line. He didn't have to make dramatic plays because he audibled out of them.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: He almost never got sacked because he could see it coming. And so artists Caleb and Mahomes and Lamar.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at the best quarterbacks now, they're Movers and Kyler, and I mean Herbert is another very mechanical processor and quarterback. I don't think Herbert will have a lot of people that say, even if he won Super Bowls, Justin was my guy? Is that Brady, for all his greatness, is viewed as almost robotic in his dominance, and it doesn't curry love or favor or duplication from young people.
Speaker 4: So I did. You're right.
Speaker 1: We've never talked about this, and I so I've never this is I enjoy when we do this because I am hearing this for the first time.
Speaker 4: I haven't if you've talked about it on the show or on the pot.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard it, so this's the first time my brain's ever considering this, but it is. I also was trying to think, like, have I heard anyone like the only Mahomes talks about Brady, but only in the He's the goat, he's got seven Super Bowl rings. I want to do, but not as far as I mimick myself after him. So I I wonder why that is and what you have? You know, what you've landed on I think is probably right, which is I Now, again, you're much better at the analogies than me. Uh, certainly on the fly. But there's a level of like when you look at the wealthiest people in world history, I don't know what the guy's name is, but the dude who started us Steel is on the list. But the reason I don't know what the name is is because like nobody's been like that's who I'm gonna be. But they say Steve Jobs, you know what I mean? They say, Now, Rockefeller did a lot elon lous those things. Rockefeller is probably because he put his name on a lot of things. But there is a level of that. I remember Brady being on your show around the time he went to Tampa, maybe a year after, maybe after he'd won the Super Bowl, the last super Bowl in Tampa. I don't know, but I remember you talking to him about retiring and he said, well, it's never been easier. He didn't use those words, but what his point he said with the words he did use, I think, were I have all the answers to the test, now why would I stop taking it? I remember like that exact thing where he was like I I like you said, I go to the line. I know exactly what the defense is doing, so I know exactly the play we have to be in and boom and it also, and this is a quote I've said to you before, but it Seth Payne, who played in the NFL for a number of years, does radio now in Houston, and I worked with him there. He would talk about how offensive coordinators would leave the Patriots and think, oh, I can turn this quarterback into Tom Brady because or a poor man's tom Brady, because Tom Brady was not impressive from a measurable's talent standpoint. And what Seth said is, but none of those guys left the Patriots was like, I can turn this receiver into Randy Moss because it was obvious, No, you can't. And his point was, Brady's brain is Randy Moss's, and discipline is Randy Moss's. Forty time and vertical. They just didn't because you can't see it. People think, oh, Jimmy Garoppolo can do it because he's got you know, these guys can Matt Castle can do it.
Speaker 4: But they couldn't.
Speaker 1: But even though the measurables were the same. So it does make sense. What if your biggest talent is not apparent to people watching you. It's just it's not an it's not an aspect, right like there there are probably more people. It's so fascinating you say that, because it's right. We have all heard more quarterbacks say I grew up wanting to be Mike Vick than wanting to be Tom Brady. We have heard more people say, certainly more people a generation ago, I want to be Dan Marino.
Speaker 4: Then I want to you know what I mean? Then I want to be Brady.
Speaker 2: And Aaron Aaron is clearly generationally the guy that most wanted to be And there.
Speaker 1: Is a level of and so I guess since you brought up Kobe, the basketball comp would be how many guys came up. How many guys have we seen to feel like, you know who I modeled my game after.
Speaker 4: Tim Duncan. Won fifty games every year, right, But Duncan.
Speaker 1: Duncan, same exact era as Kobe and in my opinion, one slot on the all time list above him, never had a down year, never missed the playoffs, you know, all the ruthlessly efficient. But nobody has tried to be Tim Duncan. Nobody, So he came into the league twenty five years ago. Not a single person that I can think of came into the league being like, that's who I'm trying to be Tim Duncan. And I don't think now I understand some of that's personality, but also it is because nobody could deny what he did was effective and great, but it wasn't. It doesn't seem fun to emulate like. You will have more people, I guess on that note, and this is wearing a bit of a Kyrie renaissance, and I'm happy for him about it, But you will have more people a generation from now that say, you know, I grew up trying to be Kyrie than I grew up trying to be Chris Ball.
Speaker 4: Even though you know what I and I am saying Chris.
Speaker 1: Paul never won, but he's but iverson without a doubt, with an iconic, important, influential player in a way, a lot of guys who maybe were more successful warrant. That is interesting that nobody, nobody says I tried to be Tom.
Speaker 4: That is fact.
Speaker 1: That is fact, and I'm trying to think if someone had said it. But a lot of people call him the goat. In fact, basically everyone does. But as far as who they modeled their game after, it is unique. And a lot of people say Aaron a lot saying.
Speaker 2: A lot, Well, he's got much more artistic flair. He throws basically off the ground, he whips it. He feels more off the cuff, more improvisational. Tom never feels improvisational. And it's you know, it's just And I do think justin Herbert is actually Brady's smart disciplined teammates get the credit big. You don't think Herbert or Brady are big because they're thin. Stand next to Tom Brady, Jesus Christ, he right.
Speaker 1: Same with Herbert. Herbert obviously is more mobile. That is this to be real football y for a moment, I wonder if Harrball is going to let him do it, and with Greg Roman running the offense, maybe they will. When Herbert was at Oregon, I feel the same way about Trevor. Herbert and Trevor by the way they played in a playoff game against each other, I think two guys, it's fair to say maybe a touch disappointing for where we thought they would be in the quarterback hierarchy at this point in their career.
Speaker 2: Although I think we blame Trevor for some of his failings, I don't think we blame Herbert.
Speaker 4: We blame yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It's yes, I agree up to this point that's true. But for both those guys, I'm like, man, I watched you in college. You were dynamic screening. I mean, in that national championship game, Trevor, it might have been the national semi final, actually yeah it was. It was when they were the defending national champs. They were playing justin fields in Ohio State. Trevor just took off for sixty yards and is running past Ohio State defensive players. And he's six six and big and strong, And I just again, I think you need to pick your spots as a runner. But Trevor and Justin are both obviously more naturally gifted runners than Mahomes, and they don't, you know what I mean, they don't seem to run even as much as he does. At least I guess maybe the numbers don't bear that out, but that's how it feels to me. Yeah, I remember that run by Trevor Lawrenstown.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable, man, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I want to end on this because this is near and dear to your heart, because you like Houston and spent time there.
Speaker 4: C J. Stroud we played a game the other day on the air, and.
Speaker 1: I used to watch American Idol and I always said I don't know music, but I think I'm pretty good, and I've proven it at the volume.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty good at spotting something. Spotting talent.
Speaker 2: Danny Parkins is somebody I spotted early and thought, you know, you told hey, listen to this guy. I listened to a segment in Chicago, and I'm like, Yeah, that's the guy. Let's get him in. I called FS one get him on the air, blah blah blah, as you did, and so whatever that thing is, I think I can watch somebody not have an agenda and just go that's it, even if it's music. And so Stroud's comp was Goff and I had said coming out, that's not a terrible comp.
Speaker 4: You got to do a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: But there's a kind of lack of juice with golf and sometimes a lack of juice with c J.
Speaker 4: Stroud.
Speaker 1: I'm watching his second game with CJ. Stroud out and I'm like, oh shit.
Speaker 4: This is easy.
Speaker 2: He's backpedaling forty yards in a tiny box like twice in the second quarter, and I'm like, whoo, that is different. And it's really fascinating because at Ohio State, I've wondered why I didn't spot it, and I think to myself, well, he couldn't beat Michigan. But then there was the Georgia game where he was fantastic, and I've punished myself on CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud.
Speaker 2: I've said why can't I Why didn't I see it? And then in the NFL instantly, second game, second quarter, I'm like, oh, yep, that's it.
Speaker 4: That's a start. He's gonna work.
Speaker 2: First game Herbert played against Mahomes. Yeah, the first time I watched him, he made a throw up the right sideline. I'm like, yeah, that was I hated it so much.
Speaker 1: I was. I remember this, Brussard had just gotten over to my house to watch the game.
Speaker 4: This years ago.
Speaker 1: Brussard wasn't even full time on the show yet, and I'm like, oh, this is great Chiefs versus Tyrode Taylor.
Speaker 4: Kick my feet up.
Speaker 1: And in the moment I hear Tyrod Taylor got stabbed In's lung and Justin Herbert's gonna play, I'm like.
Speaker 4: Well, this game just got a lot harder.
Speaker 1: And then and then and then I'm watching and I'm like, well this division just got a lot harder for the next decade, Like this guy is, this guy's gonna be good, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: Sorry that so CJ Stroud to me. I find myself rooting for him because I don't mind being wrong, and I like good quarterback play. But I have gone back and I'm like, I watched the Georgia game. Why didn't I just say after the Georgia game, this guy's unbelievable. But I find it funny when and I and I said I think God, I kept saying on the ear, yeah, I think Goff is the right thing. He stands in the pocket, he throws he's gonna be very successful.
Speaker 4: He'll win games.
Speaker 1: But there's a juice with both that you're kind of waiting for a little pop, a little energizer bunny here and and and neither's a great runner.
Speaker 2: But CJ can move? Do you ever have that? How when you when you miss on a guy? And I don't really think CJ. Stroud's miss but he's much.
Speaker 4: Better than I thought, and way earlier, way earlier.
Speaker 1: I didn't resent it. I'm like, God, this is exciting as shit. This guy's good.
Speaker 2: Have you ever and you, I don't know if you watch college basketball, but I watch a ton of college football a ton. And when you miss on somebody? Has there been after?
Speaker 4: I go ahead? You were slow on? You were so all right?
Speaker 1: So I'll answer that and then I have something throwback at you. So there definitely been guys. So I mean the number one guy would be Jokic. That that I just I thought Jokic was really good, but not all time great. And I yeah, by the way, I still kind of resent the fact that he is three MVPs because so much of our discussion of the NBA right now makes more sense and is to me more historically representative if Jannis has two, Jokic has two, and Luca has won. If that were the count and Lucas about wins this title, then people are comfortable saying, oh, maybe he's the best player, but so Yo kitch I was definitely.
Speaker 4: Late on uh.
Speaker 1: I'm more in the other direction, maybe more often, which is if I love a guy, I am very hard pressed to give up on him, Hence Baker, where I'm like, now he'll turn it around. And some people would say that's how I am with Trevor that I just this guy was the best high school player in a generation. I watched him at Clemson be so utterly dominant. You can't tell me against Alabama Alabama teams he has all. You can't tell me that he's not going to be a top five NFL quarterback. Now he seems to you know, not be able to handle the rain, which is a problem playing in Jacksonville.
Speaker 4: He fumbles.
Speaker 1: But there are some real like I thought he would be further along at this point. I still think he is maybe unfairly criticized by some and so I'll be late to get off that. And if Brockberdy ends up being a star, I'll probably be the last one on that train, like there is, so there is uh so yeah, I do think I have, you know, preconceived notion bias that plays into things, but it pays dividends in times like with Luca. So, Luca was a guy that I was talking about on First Things First when he was when our first year on the air, when he was a year away from being draft eligible. He was I have a tweet from vague where I tweet I'm not supposed to be on my phone because I'm on vacation with my wife, but I needed to send this. The Sons will regret not taking Luca number one. And when people were It's not like anyone was ever super down on him, but there was a little James Hardeney and how he plays all of it. I was like, no, that guy is going to be one of the best players offensive players we've ever seen. And this postseason run last year was hard for me. Last year I picked them to win the championship before the season they missed the fucking play it, and I was like, nope, not Lucas back. So I do I tend I try not to hold against a guy if I didn't love him coming out of school.
Speaker 4: And he's been excellent.
Speaker 1: But I am it is hard for me to abandon a guy I did love. But the game you played with j Mac, do you want it? Can we play it real quick? So?
Speaker 4: Is this for the next five years? How?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: What's the parameters?
Speaker 2: Let's say is right now? It doesn't even the timeline. You're a general manager, so you have to come up with the timeline, right.
Speaker 1: But I'm a GM. Everything counts. We're both gms. Okay, I'll give you first because you want.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do, Thank you. I appreciate that. Okay, I'll go Josh Allen.
Speaker 1: All right, if I'm being honest. My next pick is Caleb and I know he would have been available and later, but I couldn't.
Speaker 4: I know, I got what I understand that that is, he would have been available later.
Speaker 1: But I but Iah, go ahead, Okay, I'll take Lamar Jackson. Okay, that's then I feel it great because this is the guy I would have taken.
Speaker 4: Next, I will take c j.
Speaker 1: Okay now, just on value proposition, although I worry about his injuries.
Speaker 4: I'll take Joe Burrow at six. Yeah, I'm worried about those injuries.
Speaker 1: Buddy.
Speaker 4: I agree with you. I know.
Speaker 1: So there's a guy that you and I I would both only because I know you love him so much. I might want him, but I'm not. I just am sorry. I'm going through the league quickly.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: All right, this is there's this is not. This does not make sense from a value perspective timeline. But I'm trying to win this. GM is on the hot seat, and he's trying to win right now. I'm taking Matt Stafford, by the way, I absolutely know you do.
Speaker 4: That's why I was worried. I was like, you're gonna swoop in and get him. Yeah, So because of that, I'll take Justin Herbert eight. Okay, that's all right, that's good. I'll take Trevor. Okay, okay, hold on, I'm gonna take Jordan Love. That's a good pick. I gotta tell you. So now we have eleven and twelve.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you that's a good all right now, I gotta think I'm going through, like in my head the divisions.
Speaker 4: All right, well, no, how many picks are we doing? We do sixteen?
Speaker 1: So yeah, you have Mahomes me, Allen, you, Caleb me, Lamar, you, c J Stroud, me, Burrow, you Stafford, I'm on Herbert, you, Trevor me.
Speaker 4: Jordan, love your life. Yeah, all right, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Let's go to sixteen. Let's just go to sixteen. I'll get three more picks. I'm just making sure that I'm not leaving out any obvious teams.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I am all right. I'm gonna this is gonna be this again. This guy was gonna be available later, but now I'm going upside. I'm going to take with the eleventh pick of the draft, Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 4: Well, I get it. Take whatever. Yeah, I'm going to take Jared.
Speaker 1: I knew you. I could have taken Golf and just held him ransom on you and made you trade me a bounty, but I didn't want to do it. All right now, all right, at this point in the draft, I know who I'm taking at fourteen. Well, unless I take him first. At this point in the draft, I am now comfortable taking Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 4: Oh Jesus, I'll take Kyler Murray. I got Kyler Murray at fourteen. I know you do.
Speaker 1: I think he's so Listen, if it's a six foot underleague, you gotta steal.
Speaker 4: Edit fifteen.
Speaker 1: This is the last pick I'm going to have, and this is going to shock people, but again it's my last pick. So I I feel like the moon on it. I mean, I don't know. I yeah, I'll go ahead and do it. I don't love it, and I do feel like he could be a pain in the ass in the locker room.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna take Aaron Rodgers. I'm gonna take jad and.
Speaker 1: Dan Jade Daniels, dak undrafted, So the under our undrafted guys, Tua, undrafted Cousins, Kirk Cousins, undrafted, Drake May undrafted. Understandably, I can't believe if this thing could have gone fifty picks and you still could have gotten Russell Wilson because you knew I was never taking him. He just knew there was no chance. Will Levice not surprising undrafted. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: No, Ja Jaden's a good I think Jaden Daniels. I think he's got a little bit of Lamar, but better as a rookie in the pocket.
Speaker 4: But there's a little Lamar, There's.
Speaker 1: There's also a little Kate Moss there as far as his his weight, and so that is a concern, like the Jaden Jaden is just so so lean that that is a worry. But the guy goes number two in a draft that makes sense. JJ McCarthy obviously didn't get drafted. Oh my god, I feel you know what I feel? Can I can? I would you want Aaron at sixteen if he were on the board? All right, but then then can I? I'm waving Aaron Rodgers so I can pick up Baker. I forgot about Baker.
Speaker 4: I can't leave Bake Show out of there. Bake Show is again my quarterback room's eight deep.
Speaker 1: I don't need my eighth on the depth chart all of a sudden, annoying people, Bake Show has team great vibes, So go.
Speaker 4: Ahead and switch it and I'll take I'll take Bake Show. He's younger.
Speaker 1: So here's my other takeaway from this. Just quickly, neither one of us even considered for a moment the number one pick of the draft a year ago. Bryce didn't even think about it, which, by the way, the which I think is correct, But it also is you know, a little concerning for Panthers fans. I love that, By the way, I love those those fake drafts. I heard you say when I was on the herd today, with you. I didn't see when you and j Mac did it, but when you said that you and him did the did that draft, I instantly got jealous.
Speaker 4: I was like, I want to do a draft. Was like, so I knew I was hoping to be able to do it today.
Speaker 1: That's good and that'll actually crust like nothing does better on silly internet content than like a graphic associated with our draft, like here's how it went.
Speaker 4: People love that stuff. It's great.
Speaker 1: Okay, so all you internet aggregators take this and do something exactly right and make it clear you can say to be fair, I did technically draft Aaron Rodgers and then I instantly waved him to pick up Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 4: That's what I did, Okay.
Speaker 1: Bake Bake, showspes, grape vites, God, having the quarterback room, hanging out.
Speaker 4: Bringing beers for everyone. It's awesome. It's great. This is fun.
Speaker 1: Colin Good good, see anybody the volume.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment, rate and review