Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just you.
Speaker 3: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am on Podcast one eleven productions. I heart Radio Media. There's such a big company. They have so many different categories. I gotta split up I heart Podcasts at three major categories. Wow. And we're gonna do a recap Road to Harvard with the one and only Ariel Cabell. How you doing, Ariel good.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to be back on this with you.
Speaker 1: I know, Aaron and I are. I gotta tell you we're Let's just tell the people we're real good together. But you know what the thing is, I think you're good with everybody. It's me that's the issue. Right. So it's like, I think you're good with everybody. You make everybody look good. So we did a we did a very nice convention together up in New Milford, Connecticut, with these great promoters and and so you you host the panels or you hosted mine anyway, Yeah, and there was like a thousand people fans there, and I mean, you're so good at that and you just own that space and you come on and they fall in love with you, and I could basically say anything I want. They're still going to like me because they like you so much. And that's how it is. I give you all the credit.
Speaker 2: That's very kind. That was a great group of people, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that was pretty We were.
Speaker 3: Like, wow, we got hit with the energy and then and you were so fun on stage. I feel like we had we had such a blast going back and forth and then bringing on that that I forget his.
Speaker 1: Name, oh the guy the guy that fell on office chair.
Speaker 2: But you know what a great way to make it on stage.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so we're sitting let me I'll tell the story. So we're sitting there, we're sitting there with Ariel goes up on stage. The fans are going crazy. So I come up. She introduces me, and we're going to talk and we're getting into our talk and the fans are pomped, and there's a guy, a couple sitting in the front row to the right of us, and the guy his chair collapses like just fall on like the I mean, just like bam. He slams down on the ground and Ariel, quick thinker that she is, you know, turns it into a win for everybody and says, you know, are you okay this kind of thing, and gets him up on stage, sits him down next to this next thing. I know, there's a guy sitting next to me and we're interviewing the guy. His wife is going crazy, just applauding and crying hysterically. He's like, well, how did I get up here? He's not thinking of his you know, his bruised buttocks that he fell on. He's not thinking of any of that.
Speaker 2: He was okay. I was so relieved to.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, he hit the floor. He hit the floor pretty hard.
Speaker 2: He did. But that turned into it. It was a great thing.
Speaker 3: And you know, I have to say that is you know, people feel very strongly about Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: They either love her or they're not really in her in her universe. I personally love her.
Speaker 3: But one of the things that I've taken away from her eras tour that swept the world by storm was how she always it doesn't matter how big the arena is, she always connects to her audience, to her fan.
Speaker 2: I think that is such a beautiful lesson.
Speaker 3: For every performer, every human being, like you know, to just never get so caught up that you lose track of what's in front of you and who's in front of you and being pressed to them. And so I just feel like with hosting, it's so important to just constantly keep checking in.
Speaker 2: With our audience.
Speaker 3: And so, I don't know, I feel like I give her credit for inspiring me to just no matter how nervous I am or what's going on in my head, to just always check in with the audience and connect with them and know that like that when you break that wall, that is what makes things so special because you're bringing everyone together and then that's like, that's the full experience. And so I don't know, and I've watched her so many times connect with her audience and check on people or like send security like that person needs help.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, listen. I'm just gonna make it simple for everybody. Okay. You know, even if Taylor Swift didn't exist, you still have a gift. You have a gift with people, all right. That's all there is to it. It doesn't Matt Taylor Swift doesn't matter right now. It's that you have a gift. You know how to do this. You know the audience just like they just lean in their's area there and anybody you're with. It's going to benefits. Stop it, all right, I'm giving credits to billionaires. Okay, don't do it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, hey, we have another con coming up together too, so that'll be fun.
Speaker 1: How we do which one in Savannah? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so y'all come on out.
Speaker 1: It'll you're going You're going to Savannah?
Speaker 2: What is Savannah? I know, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna do You're gonna do my panel? Right? Please do my panel?
Speaker 3: We're on We're definitely on one together. But I think there's someone else on it too from Gilmore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think there's a couple of people. Yeah, no, but I want you to host the panel. Oh okay, Savannah June sixth, June seventh, Savannah, Georgia, Epicans be there and Boise, Idaho. I'm gonna be in Boise by the way, speaking of cons and if you're not in Boise, Idaho, I'm gonna be really upset and I'm gonna try to get him to bring you up there.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: May sixteen, seventeen. I'm gonna be in Boise, Idaho. So anyway, Savannah's going to be a blast.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. Do you know I've never been.
Speaker 1: I well, I used to play ball there. I played for the Savannah Braves in nineteen eighty one. I'm not kidding the.
Speaker 3: Idea that you played Atlanta, Gosh transferred up to New York.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it was in Savanna.
Speaker 1: Savannah's a Braves double a team. Yeah so, but yeah, I've been there and since nineteen eighty one. I'm looking for That's gonna be fun. That's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if you've ever done epicons before, but it's a really three group of people too.
Speaker 1: So I hope you havn't done Yeah, I do too. All right, let's get into the episode. Okay, this is a synopsis of this episode. After calling off the wedding to Max, Laurel I takes a road trip with Rory to Harvard University, where Rory glimpses her future and Laurel I reflects on her past and white what might have been directed by Jamie Babbitt, you Know or Your Lover Her written by Daniel Palladino. And now let's get into this car ride and the bed and breakfast. The engagement's now broken off, Laura, I and Rory go on the road trip. They go to b and b Uh and these two are sharing a bed. So she tells Laura she believes she really loves Max. Rory believes that and will regret leaving him. They get into that fight. They get into that shouting match. Made me a tad uncomfortable watching these two go at each other's throats. I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: What made you uncomfortable about it?
Speaker 1: I don't like the yelling. Really, I don't like the yelling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, do you feel the same if it's like you in an.
Speaker 2: Argument with more lie versus versus Rory.
Speaker 1: I know I love to yell. I just don't like hearing it. Yeah, I'm a big fan of the yelling. I like the yelling, but these two that's not why I bought the ticket, you know. I didn't buy a ticket to see them yell at each other and like it, honest, Like, hey, don each and I know that's part of life, and I got it. I'm a big boy, but I just I just don't like to say it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I will say you know what I appreciated about it again, was like I feel like it was a bit ahead.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would say you ahead of its time.
Speaker 3: But what Amy and Dan did really well that we didn't see a lot in television, especially back then, was like to have a mother daughter be.
Speaker 2: Best friends but also be able to argue and yell like that. I actually think it's really important because that is a part of life.
Speaker 1: Rory thinks that Laurel I loves Max, but Laurel I knows she doesn't. Do you think Rory is right? You think Laurel I knows how she feels.
Speaker 2: That's a bigger question.
Speaker 1: But that's the telling line of the scene when Laura I says I wished, I wish I loved him? She doesn't, right, And she does in a way, right, I mean, but it's not the big enchilada. It was a horrible analogy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah, tell me a minute.
Speaker 1: But okay, yeah, but here's a bigger question. Do you think it's because somewhere and moralized soul, she really loves Luke and she just doesn't grasp I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, uh, I thought that's where you were going to go to begin with. I thought, where she loves Luke.
Speaker 3: But but I also think it brings up an interesting going back to the mother daughter thing with you know, you can know someone so well, like these two women know each other so well like best friends, but at the same time, at the end of the day, you can't deny that they are a different age obviously mother daughter, but I need like I, you know, my partner has a fourteen year old and I run into this all the time now, where like she so flies me on her years, she teaches me things every single day, and then every now and again she says something and I'm like reminded of like, oh, that's so sweet.
Speaker 2: There's that innocence, you know.
Speaker 3: And sometimes I think, like with Laura I, maybe saying she wished she loved him and knowing deep downside it is Luke and maybe not.
Speaker 2: Being able to come to those being able to base that in this moment. Also, I thought, I think it's a sweet.
Speaker 3: Reminder that Rory is younger and maybe hasn't experienced life the way Laura I has, hasn't had loves yet.
Speaker 2: The way Laura I has.
Speaker 3: Like you know, she is in a different place in her life and in her in her love life, and they I think that's reflected back too, because also Laura Sowhat so often acted like the kid, you know, which was like part of the funny appeal. But maybe in certain moments then it gets confusing when she really does know something about herself. Then maybe the daughter that that Rory isn't quite understan standing yet, not there in her own life yet.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, all right, let's go to Harvard. That's very very well said, by the way. So they go to Harvard, right, they both they both kind of fit right in there, right, and loyalize having a lot of fun with the you know, the student there and skeechy and all this, and he hits on her and you're in the same class as I am, the whole thing, so good stuff. So they sneak into an open dorm room, take pictures somebody's dorm room, and Rory even takes a seat in the lecture hall, which I found very satisfying.
Speaker 2: Wait, what is you satisfying about?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Is that she gained her confidence, that she went in there in a very intimidating situation and got involved with the discussion and made some real contributions to discussion, and it made her feel good. And it's it's like real validation and the hard work paying off and like, hey, I can compete at this level, and isn't that a wonderful thing? And what a great moment for the show and a great more moment for for her personally. You know, I love those kinds of scenes where it's just like it all just sort of comes together a little bit and it's like, ah, something so positive about it's so great for her and Laurelie watching her excel at Harvard and she's really you know, and I don't even need to ask you this question. We just went over it. You know, she's realizing something about her own life, and laurelizes having another experience. She's you think she's feeling she missed out on her college heres because she's looking at those valed victorians. Yeah, this could have been my life, and you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: But also again something that how do you tell your your child that because.
Speaker 2: It's you know, it's not her fault.
Speaker 3: You can't you can't put that weight on to her, right, And so it it's a deep, deep internal.
Speaker 2: Struggle and deep reflection of like, oh wow, you know, but I also think like that.
Speaker 3: Then again, it goes back to the thing of every parent tries to give their kid more than they.
Speaker 2: Had, right, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's like, you know, how can I make your life better to like and and heal the wounds that I went through or make sure that you.
Speaker 2: Don't have to go through what I went through. So I think it's both think. I think it's there's beauty in it and there's pain in it, and I think that, like, I don't know, that's what the show does.
Speaker 3: So well, oh, you know, let's do this together and you're on this journey and then boom, right, these big life moments hits you in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, my own personal experience, anything I've accomplished in my life pales in comparison to when I watch my son excel and there's just no better feeling. You can't top it. It's just, you know what I mean, this is all great and how life is turning out and all that. I could trade it in just to watch him excel, you know. And I think any parent would say the same thing. All right, So the camera zoom's in on a picture of that nineteen ninety valve Victoria. I was trying to figure out who she was, you know, I keep reading the name, and says she in a prior episode. Is she going to be in a future episode? Who is this person? It's not that it's the year, right, it's nineteen ninety, it was you know. Well now it's like season two, so it's eleven years prior. Right, it's a two thousand and twenty and eleven years prior. She was what she was twenty or twenty one, because she's thirty two now, right, so she's twenty one and this could have been her graduation picture because she had that potential according to Emily, right, Yeah, she full of regret, she's seeing the future for her daughter, all those things. What do you think it is? Is it a mix?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I don't think. I think just being human, it has to be a mix. Like, I don't know either there's something wrong.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's something wrong with me, but like I can't imagine that that was me.
Speaker 2: I would feel.
Speaker 3: All of those things. I would feel, Wow, what could have been?
Speaker 2: Wow? Look at the track I was on. I didn't even realize it. And then off off.
Speaker 3: I went to this other path and then oh my god, I'm so proud of her, Oh my god, I want for her when I never had you know. And then also who knew having a kid would bring me back to this place where actually, maybe I can have these joint experiences with the way that I never saw the opportunity before because of having her and me.
Speaker 1: Right, she can get all this reward and stimulation without having to study.
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect, And somebody else is playing the bill. It's great, perfect setup for all right, So let's go back to stars.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So Suki is spreading the news of Laurelized broken engagement, leaving Luke as the last person to find out when he does his whole mood shift. So Luke is thrilled when he hears about this, Uh the sad news.
Speaker 3: Wait, I want to go back stuff for one second. Did they ever tell you storylines before?
Speaker 2: Did you find out.
Speaker 1: At table reads table reads?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so the first time you're reading this and you're finding out about it is either you know, night before table read at table read pretty close to real time.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, we get we get the script pretty last minute, so we would get them maybe the day before the table reads. Sometimes we wouldn't, but yeah, usually we got a script in the mailbox or they'd throw it over the fence or something, throw it over the fence, sometimes in a plastic bag, sometimes not. So when I'd get it, it would be soaked a lot of the times. Wow, yeah, sprinkless, sprinklish, we get it. So I think I actually told them it's like, could you put in a plastic bag because like you know, it takes me forever to dry these things out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know. It's like when we wait when we started. Yeah, and even if you.
Speaker 3: Got script revision revisions, they would have a PA would deliver them to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, that night you had.
Speaker 2: Them on set. The next day there was no emailing, there was no scene.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, somebody got on their scooter and got it to wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so let's let's there's there's so many things that happen here. Uh Suki tells Luke about the wedding being off as mood lifts everything. Coffee is on the house now. Laurela and Rory arrived back in town. Everyone in Stars Hollow shows some empathy as they drive. Kirk says you need a hug. Miss Patty dabs a tear in her eye, and then Laurel I has a moment as she pulls up to the house and sees the hoopa and she she kind of and you know what I noticed about the hoopa. That's a lot of grapes on there, wooden grapes. Did you see how many wooden graps? Can you see? Luke just sort of standing all of those wooden grapes? There were there were dozens of wooden grapes. And you forget about the goat, right?
Speaker 2: That was so funny.
Speaker 6: I feel like, obviously you are and where you would notice that, but I did didn't notice.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to go back and look for that.
Speaker 1: I'll talk about Emily's reaction to Lurlai telling her the news that the wedding with Max is all well.
Speaker 5: I feel like with her, you always expect like something dramatic, right, Like That's how that's the fun of watching her.
Speaker 2: Is the drama. I mean, and she's such an incredible actress. I when I'm trying to put myself in her shoes.
Speaker 3: I I guess I get to say I just kind of expected it or a version of it, you know, I mean, what did you think I she's I mean, she's just kind of she's so no matter what situation. I think the thing that's fun about watching her is that she's always going to be like so kind of you know, dry and condescending but real but eloquent but inappropriate, Like you know.
Speaker 2: She's just.
Speaker 3: Her character was just so fun to watch because it just really sometimes couldn't believe that was like happening, and she pulled it off so well. She like she's so classy but then harsh.
Speaker 1: Do you think there was a sense of relief maybe on Emily's part?
Speaker 3: Maybe I get yeah, I mean it's like I was saying, I wasn't really surprised, because I feel like why I always watched Emily was because you just you're hoping that you don't know what she's gonna do or say next, Like that is what's so fun about her character.
Speaker 2: So like I knew it wasn't gonna go well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like.
Speaker 1: See, that's the consistency that I love about Emily's character.
Speaker 2: You know, you know it's not gonna go well, it's.
Speaker 1: Not gonna go well, but you just delight in how you delight in the dialogue, you delight in what she says and how she reacts. It's just so much fun to watch her, right, She.
Speaker 3: Is an incredible actress and I feel like with her, you could always tell that she's like classically trained because of how she just not just body the character, but like yeah, I just felt like from head to toe, every breath of her is so.
Speaker 2: She just became yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. And so it's like, yeah, look forward to it. You're like, what is she going to say?
Speaker 1: All right, here's a closing scene, right, so Lane's back from Korea. That was fun. Laurel I takes a seat at Luke Steiner. Luke apologizes for being a jerk to Max. She also, yeah, like now is a convenient time to apologize for being a jerk after gloating over the corpse of Max. Right he laid that dragon. Oh it's a jerk. I'm really sorry. It's very convenient. She also tells uh Luke he's she's keeping the hookah with all the wooden grapes. Laurel I says she is finally going to open the inn with Suki. Now, so this is a nice feat. So it seems like she's getting reassur reassurance from Luke about starting her own business, and he's, you know, he's truly supportive. He really really is. Maybe that's what was missing in the relationship with Max.
Speaker 2: The support. Yeah maybe. I mean, when you read.
Speaker 3: The script and you saw what was happening, what did you did you feel like, Oh, this may be a moment where Lorlyon and Luke don't come back together, or this is one more kind of not on their story and they're going to keep circling each other.
Speaker 1: Nah. I always knew they were just going to toy with the audience year after year, and I was just gonna have to go through it. They didn't tell me, they didn't tell me their plans. I was not I was not given any storylines. But I just thought, nah, yeah, I never really got nervous. I never really got nervous that, oh god, my job is in jeopardy, or at least my my status on the show.
Speaker 2: Was Yeah, yeah, I just I just felt.
Speaker 1: I just felt the chemistry was so good and the story line is so good, and yeah, isn't it just so brave and courageous of Amy and Dan to to to slow burn it over over this period of time And it wasn't even two years yet. The fans, because the fans at this point were like, get them together. I can't believe they're not together this, you know, you gotta get them together. And I just kind of knew, man, they're gonna milk this for everything it's worth because I remember having a conversation with Amy and Dan about it and and they said, you know, you give you give the fans what you want, what they want, and they go away, and it's like, we got to really just draw this out.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great sentence they have.
Speaker 1: They have insight that if you have you know, they know, they know, they know drama.
Speaker 2: They know it, but they want and they go away.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 2: I think I'd be scared to say that in today's world.
Speaker 1: Oh no, and the Netflix world. Yeah, you gotta give it to it right away. Like act one, they're together and they're happy there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Amy and Dan are so gutsy. That's why I'm I love them so much.
Speaker 1: Do you think loral lined dream of opening that in with Suki kind of tells us that and her dreams might go beyond finding love or the one. I mean, it's like maybe it's like the real dream is to be that that you know, that business woman who owns her life, who owns her business, who's running the show.
Speaker 3: What do you think, sure, well, and the and the control of it too, right, because like she she lost it at such a young age, right, and you know, the control of like her own destiny, making her own choices, the way of her life that she saw her life going versus what happened. And so I think that like there is a sense of oh, Okay, this is something that I.
Speaker 2: Can create and control on my own time frame.
Speaker 3: And and you know, be proud of and put work into and and build this with someone, right, like with Sookie, like that partnership or you're not doing it alone.
Speaker 2: You know, it becomes like family a bit and and all of that.
Speaker 3: But I also think like maybe that's also to the draw between Luke and Lurlei, Like you know, with Luke's coffee shop, and like you know, she sees that connection and and and you know, it's like it becomes a piece of home for everyone, Like that's that's people in the town, Like that's their routine. You know, like people went to Luke's for a reason, and it's it's more than like a shop or you know, it's an experience.
Speaker 2: It's like so I think.
Speaker 3: Like maybe that was also the draw a little bit between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. The hoopa with them dozens of wooden grapes with the hoopa, the hoopa has wooden goats. Laura like keeping that, Laurai getting rid of it. Would it remind her okay of a feuled max relationship or would it remind her more of what Luke Michelangelo wooden grape guy did for.
Speaker 2: Her, Luke the grape guy, Luke the.
Speaker 1: Wooden grape guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell you something. If she didn't want to be reminded of either, she'd get rid of it.
Speaker 1: Right. We got to watch out for that scene, the the burning Hoopa. That's the ad for the new like you know, the new Netflix thing, right, Gilmore Girls returns with the burning Hoopa.
Speaker 3: No, No, that was fully That was her holding on to Luke, holding on to These are the types of things that make me happy.
Speaker 2: This is what I want.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm not there yet, maybe I don't know, maybe I'm confused, whatever, but this is.
Speaker 2: The reminder of something that makes me happy.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So the town right, their reaction, they seem very empathetic, right that she called off her wedding. Very nice to see that kind of support. Let me ask you something from from Lindsay's point of view, okay, because you know, Lindsay really went through it, and could we have seen more of a reaction from stars Hollow after the sort of Rory Lindsey Dean love affair thing the triangle.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you want my answer now, I would say hell yes'. But that's because I'm in a place where I feel more comfortable and confident in saying so, like when that'll happen.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, I think I was telling you this at the con.
Speaker 3: I was just so happy that I even got hired that, like, they could have killed me in one episode and I wouldn't have questioned it. I would just be like so much for this experience, I will never forget it.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I'm straight from Florida.
Speaker 3: I cannot believe that I'm not only in Hollywood on a job in a back lot of a studio, but like working with incredible actors on a show that happens to be a hit.
Speaker 2: And I'm seventeen years old. So I didn't ever think.
Speaker 3: About like the importance of not just my character for my storyline, but how it affected the town and the people around And so it's a great question because now.
Speaker 6: Like, yes, I would have loved that, But back then I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 3: I just was like, you know, especially in my last day, I just wanted to make sure that I got through it without crying, that I was professional and everyone knew that I was just you know, grateful for the time. And I think too, I had such little confidence in myself that I think that I was like, well, yeah, of course this happened.
Speaker 2: Of course I had an end date. Of course, you know I couldn't sustain it or be a part of But I just I really I didn't.
Speaker 3: I had it definitely had you know, imposture syndrome to syndrome to work through.
Speaker 2: So I never questioned it before.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's gonna be a wrap. Ariel. Such a pleasure to talk to you again. You too, We got we got to have you back on. I mean, this is just getting ridiculous. I mean, I miss I miss you when you're gone.
Speaker 2: I would love to come back on.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm going to try and convince have you had a mile or a couple of time, Oh okay, maybe been together when because the movie comes out next spring. That would be so fun to do like Little Reunion or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be really cool. Yeah, why don't we just do our own convention and be at the corner of Santa Monica and Universal and there you go. Let's we'll have microphones, I think way for people. No, that's a great idea. That's actually a great idea. Talk to him about it, you know, well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah, I have no idea. I'm literally just spewing that out of my mouth as we talk. So yeah, I'll talk.
Speaker 1: To right right right, all right, Ariel, Thank you so very much. Always a great time with you, and thank you for the best fans on the planet. Keep the downloads and coming, keep the love coming, keep the comments coming, thumbs up or down, we want them all. Remember where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 4: Stay safe, everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmour at iHeartRadio dot com.