Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final hour in this Monday Best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like first Major of the year on the LPGA Tour. Watch the biggest Names, Brightest Stars, the Chevron Championship that'll be coming up this weekend. Peacock NBC Golf Channel. You can watch this program on Peacock as well. Thank you for downloading the app. We're down to Danette seat and already in Green Bay. He's there with the big German getting ready for the broadcast Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from the bar on Home grind Way. We hope that we have the opportunity to say lo. We will have a new poll question for the final hour of the program. Fitzi Fritzi is doing the honors. We have results.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for those right now, you want to.
Speaker 2: Wait, all right? Thank you Fitzi for gone conclusion.
Speaker 3: The Celtics will represent the East in the NBA finals. True Dad forty seven, Slow your role fifty three?
Speaker 2: Okay, what's the poll question for the final hour of the program.
Speaker 4: That is TBA.
Speaker 3: We had the thunder one which was I think the thunder will win the NBA title. Sure twenty three percent, way too early, seventy seven percent. And we'll say we could come up with for a clever final hour poll.
Speaker 2: Well, you know how this works. There's a new poll question each ower, t like, what else have you been doing?
Speaker 5: It's kind of listening to you.
Speaker 4: Follow up?
Speaker 2: You're taking over for Seaton and he has a new poll question each hour. Yeah, how about that. Yeah, we'll come up with some eighty seven seven three DP show email Addressdpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show a couple of NBA notes here. The Pistons have dropped fifteen consecutive playoff games. That's the longest postseason losing streak in NBA history. The last time Detroit won a playoff game May twenty six of eight against the Celtics.
Speaker 6: Stand a Day, Stanaday, Stanaday, stand to day.
Speaker 4: This is the style of the day.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by in Any America, the official trading cards of the program and Oklahoma City fifty one point win, the largest in a playoff game since twenty fifteen. But John Morant vows that it'll be different Game two, which is you know comforting to hear. If I'm a Memphis fan. You imagine if he said I don't know, it might be the same coming up game two. You know, it's weird to say somebody is in a must win situation, and we talk about this a lot must win situation. Now, I feel like every year is a must win situation for Lebron because Lebron is chasing the ultimate goal, and that is to be the greatest player in NBA history, and the only way he accomplishes that is to win at least one more championship. Now, another player, and I think he's in a must win situation is Jimmy Butler. Because Jimmy Butler wanted out of Miami, goes to Golden State. He's playoff Jimmy. You can wipe away of the mess that you know he left in Miami. And you imagine if he helps lead Golden State to another championship, which means Steph Curry gets another championship, which means he moves up the totem pole. But I think the must win and I would put that in parentheses but not capital letters, but must have a great end result here, maybe you get to the the NBA Finals, maybe you get to the Western Conference finals, but this is why they bring you in. You're different in the postseason. But I would think that those two if Boston doesn't win it this year, I don't think Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum are in a must win situation. I don't think Donovan Mitchell's in it must win. Now you can say Shay gilgis because he's going to be the MVP and we've seen you know that in previous years. Hey, what did you do in your MVP season? Because if Shay Gilges just doesn't go to the NBA Finals, I think the voters will go, we gave it to you. We want to see you prove it. You've got to do it again, but we want you to do that, then we'll reward you the following season. I mean, they did this to Joker Jannis. I don't think anybody is expecting anything out of Giannis. But if you're looking at must win situations, I would say probably Lebron because he's chasing Mike and Jimmy Butler because he has a history of you know, wearing out his welcome. Steph, you know, how many more years do you get this opportunity Draymond. How many more years do you get this opportunity of maybe playing for a championship And the key is Jimmy, because Steph's going to be great. I mean, Draymond will still do what he does, good and bad. You got to get the you know, younger players to contribute, but you got a chance to maybe play for another champ And I would say that Jimmy is in a must winnish situation along with Lebron chasing Mike.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, I'm gonna take Lebron off that list only because I don't think he can get to where Mike is. But Jimmy Butler to me is the one seed only because of how it ended in Miami and the go to Golden State with Stephen. With Draymond, I think they've got to do it, and I think it's got to be this year because since he's gotten there, they've played great. Their seating is misleading. I don't mean for that, Ryan, Okay, Their seating is misleading only because before he got there, they were uh like on the cusp of you know, the seventh seed. But since he's gotten there, I think they're like twenty four and seven.
Speaker 2: Wait, you don't think that there If Lebron wins another title, no, like he can't, he can't surpass Michael Jordan.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know, only only.
Speaker 2: If he let Okay, let's just say he wins another title. At that age, now he's one less than Mike. I know Mike never lost the NBA Finals, but Mike didn't play in as many finals as Lebron did. Who did lose NBA finals, You'd have a hard time convincing me greatest basketball career of all time. And maybe that's not fair to say it that way, because I would put Kareem in there as having the greatest basketball career of all time. I think he lost one or two games in high school. How many games he lose in college? He didn't get to play his freshman year they won all three national championships when he lose two games. And then you go into the NBA and yes, did he get to a point where he's overshadowed by Oscar as his point guard and then Magic as his point gude, Yes, that happens to the big man because they need, you know, facilitator. You'd be hard pressed to convince me that Mike is a better basketball player than Lebron. If Lebron wins a title at this age, I just have a hard time. I think you gotta be fair as much as we hold on to our memories, and that's what this is. Nobody talks that Mike didn't go to the playoffs there, you know, one and done in the playoffs there. Oh, we didn't have a good team. Look at Lebron's team that went to the finals against the Spurs. Did Michael Jordan ever have a team that was that bad? And you would, once again, you'd be hard pressed. But I think that Lebron what he's done, like you know, everything start to finish, and he lived up to the hype. Mike didn't have hype. Mike was He wont even the best player at Carolina. James Worthy was considered the best player Lebron from fifteen to forty as much as I loved and I was there with Jordan when he won those titles. Now this is what you're going to get. Well, who would you want game on the line? Okay, does that make you the best player? Because we totally blew past Bill Russell? He never lost in the finals, did he He won eleven titles? He won two titles in college. Wait wait, wait, well no, it doesn't work that way. Why not Russell's the greatest winner of all time. He just you know, wasn't a brand. He didn't have shoes, he didn't appear in movie. You know, he was just Bill Russell. He was going to a press conference for civil rights, you know, like all right, yes, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 5: With the Michael Lebron argument, see, I would get real like geekish and start talking about there was no wasted movements and when Michael Jordan had the ball, as soon as he got the ball, he went right to work. He had great footwork, great fundamentals on top of extreme athleticism. So maybe I'm just going a little bit too deep because people a going to say, oh six and oho. So there's a lot of people with not a lot of people, but there's people with six championship Robert or you got seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, But we all know that Mike was great. We all know what he could do with the besketball. I just don't think we're fair to Lebron because people you know, you got Skip Bayless, who has criticized Lebron forever, and you know, therefore it's like opens no one was criticizing Mike. No one even now, no one criticizes Mike. You got guys who played against him who're afraid to criticize him. Now I get the ultimate respect. I just what Lebron has done, as I mean, it's remarkable, and I don't think that we give him enough credit. I don't. It might be after the fact, it might be ten years after the fact when people look back and go, cow dude scored forty thousand. He plays the fact that he hadn't won an MVP since won twenty twelve. I mean, yam, I just I think he's been taken for granted. Now can we nitpick? Yes, Russell wasn't a good offensive player, will you know? It was a malcontent who took himself out of I mean, we go down the list there, but that's Larry Bird's career wasn't long enough, you know, That's the thing. I you know, we tend to do this and then all of a sudden you bring somebody down. Oh they couldn't do he didn't do he clutch, he was he free throws he you know, And yes, if I had one game to win, do I want Mike or Lebron I want Mike, but that doesn't mean that he's a better player or certainly had a better career than Lebron because Joe Montana won four, didn't lose, but he's not considered the best quarterback of all time. Mahomes has already passed him, and he's lost in the Super Bowl a couple of times. I just we pick and choose with our arguments and I and you know, I understand that it's a hot take world here. I just think we won't be as we're not going to be fair to Lebron until after the fact.
Speaker 7: Yeah point, Unlike you, most Jordanists are unflexible or they have no flexibility about Michael Jordan. They don't even like to have the topic and discuss Lebron because it's like resume versus playing ability. Those are two different things. The best resume in quarterback history is Tom Brady, and it's really not that close.
Speaker 4: If you said who is the best ever.
Speaker 7: At playing the position, you could I think people can make the case for Damn ma Reno, but his resume is nowhere close to some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just we get caught up in you know, that's my childhood or you know that that I followed the NBA then, and you know everybody rooted for the Bulls even when they came to your hometown. I mean, that's rare that that happens in a team game that you were okay if your team lost to the Bulls.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: And the thing is, I'm not anti Lebron. I think he's gonna have behind Kareem the second greatest career ever, as far as in the NBA's second gradest career ever, because look, I saw Lebron at the end of his sophomore year. There's an article in Slam magazine is that the best player in high school basketball just finished the tenth grade. So I saw it from the beginning. And in his junior year he was on the cover Sports Illustrated. And to d what he's done is unbelievable because you see all these guys outside of Tiger Woods that had this type of hype going in and they didn't live up to it, and Lebron has.
Speaker 2: Okay, but imagine if Lebron had passed the ball to Steve Kerr, if Lebron had passed the ball to John Paxson, that happened Lebron. I mean Mike didn't take those shots they did. Imagine if Lebron doesn't even get credit for the bubble, everybody there was no advantage playing in the bubble. Yeah, but he won in the bubble. It's a neutral sight. It would have had Home courted Vin. It's actually more impressive, Like what are we doing? It wasn't like some.
Speaker 7: NBA players are in the bubble and others just weren't there.
Speaker 2: See, that's where it gets silly. Mike didn't take those last shots. Steve Kerr did. John Paxson did.
Speaker 7: Killed him out.
Speaker 2: Now you said, man, Michael, what a genius. You know it took the double game and threw it to Steep Like we can create whatever we want to create. Nobody brings up when Mike didn't make the finals. What happened in those seasons? Would you rather have somebody who got you to the postseason, to the finals? Yeah, but Mike didn't lose. No, he lost earlier.
Speaker 5: Yes, mar And people always say because they don't like Lebron, Oh, goats don't get swept. I said, Cream got swept and Magic got swept. Berg got swept. But because it wasn't in the finals, it doesn't mean that much. So would you rather lose in the second round where people really don't care that much, or the finals people pick and choose.
Speaker 2: There's breaking news. I don't think anybody saw this coming. Cooper Flag is going pro?
Speaker 4: Wow? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Easy, I'll say it slower. Cooper Flag is going pro. I'm gonna probably need another source on this, but sources close to me tell me that Cooper Flag is going pro. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Remember a month ago we had coach Cyron from Duke and you asked him have you had a conversation about him staying or going? And he said no, No, like the conversation happened when he chose to attend Duke.
Speaker 2: I ask him, are you going to have a conversation with him? No? All right? I think didn't con Canipple announce that he was going pro before Cooper Flag did?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh, okay, yeah, I know, I know. Let me take a break. Mel Kiper Draft Expert's going to join us coming up next year, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich taking part in his forty second NFL Draft, mel kiper Draft Expert. He'll be at the ESPN desk for every pick of the NFL Draft starting Thursday, but before the draft, listen to the final episodes of the First Draft Podcast with mel Field, Yates and Mike Greenberg, available wherever you get your podcast, Mel joining us on the program. Why do so many opinions seem to shift based on stuff that's not from actual games that these players play.
Speaker 4: It's college to prod and that's what makes it so so difficult.
Speaker 6: You're seeing guys play in college against players who will not be in the National Football League, so you're not getting apples to apples. In some games, you want to watch an offensive tackle, but the defensive ends going on the right side or left side, opposite where the player you want the one on one to be, So you get little snippets, okay, snapshots here and there of a player against another great player. That's why senior bowl practices are so important, because you're getting good on good. You don't get that in college on a regular basis, so a lot of times the stats.
Speaker 4: Can be skewed.
Speaker 6: One way, you can have great numbers against I call am aog sdan another occupation. Guys, that's what they are, you know, they're aogs. That's what you go up against in college. I can win that phrase years ago. That's what it is because that's college football. That's the same thing when you talk about high school. It's tough to go from one level to the next and be accurate with you evaluation. So when you end end today, it's over evaluation too, because you're talking about so much time between the end of the season until late April that you do kind of overthink it and you do factor in things that maybe shouldn't be as heavily weighed because it's so much time and it is level to a different level, and you have to look at everything possible to try to make a good, good evaluation. And certainly, Dan, a lot of scouts believe in general managers. Later in the draft, take the talented kids, Bill Polly and Hall of Fame. We're always told him, no, take the talented guys later in the draft. The guys are call him under achievers, Dan, but they have a big time skill set.
Speaker 4: And for one reason or another they got dinged in the process a bit.
Speaker 6: Take those kind of guys in the fifth, sixth, seventh round or bring him in his undrafted free agents.
Speaker 2: How do you grade Travis Hunter considering there's two positions.
Speaker 6: He's a hard It's a hard decision on wide receiver and corner when you have other players.
Speaker 4: That are fully invested in that one spot.
Speaker 6: So you say, Okay, Travis didn't play just reiver, he didn't play just corner.
Speaker 4: He was out there every play, every snap.
Speaker 6: That to me prevents him from being as good at one or the other that he could be. So even with that said, Dan, he's my number one wide receiver and he's my number one corner, and it's amazing that he would just focus on one position how great he could be.
Speaker 4: So to me, Travis is as.
Speaker 6: Unique as any player in the history of the draft because he is going to play both ways.
Speaker 4: Right away, Dion said it perfectly.
Speaker 6: You're not going to have a drive at the end of the first half, or a drive in the fourth quarter, or two drives in the fourth quarter, settling that game that outcome and have Travis Hunter standing on the sidelines when our cornerbacks are getting beaten in the quarterbacks, driving his team right down the field against my defense. You can't have that. So Diana is perfectly correct. He's a thousand percent correct on that. This kid's got to play both ways.
Speaker 2: Do you love or love love Shador Sanders?
Speaker 4: Like really loved Shador Sanders.
Speaker 6: I tried to be loyal to what like I said August and what I thought throughout their careers. And I understand if you want Dan somebody who looks the part, I call them ltpeers.
Speaker 2: That's what they are.
Speaker 4: There are ltpers.
Speaker 6: There's a couple other guys that that's positioned that are more physically gifted. Okay, when I talk about arm strength, when I talk about just imposing size, the rocket arm, the four to six speed, there are other quarterbacks that have that. Dan, if you want that, take those guys. If you want a kid who can just surgically take a team down the field, pick you apart, see things, recognize things, diagnose, make decisions that are sound. Also, get the ball to accurate points and precise points to a receiver, and hang in tough in that pocket, take hits and keep getting up. Don't point fingers, don't assign blame. Win football games. He didn't have a running game for two years of Colorado. Dan his leading rusher, upset it for the last month. His leading rusher the last two years, the two top running backs in this draft, Jent and Hampton, would have had more yards in a game and.
Speaker 4: A half then they had the whole year.
Speaker 6: Think about that and an offensive line, Dan, you saw that offensive line that was a bad group in twenty twenty three, a little bit better in twenty four. But bottom line is he had no chance, and a lot of those snaps he had no shot. So I give him a lot of credit, Dan, But if he's not the guy that you want physically, and you can't reconcile taking a guy that high, I get it. But does that not mean that, hey, in the mid late first round, he can't be a heck of a pick.
Speaker 4: And all this notion too, Dan, Well, if.
Speaker 6: You love them, or you'll like them, whatever, if you'll just like them, you can't take them.
Speaker 4: Well, I give you an example.
Speaker 6: In nineteen eighty four, Dan, my first year at ESPN, I had Boomer Assias and the third highest rated player on my board right now.
Speaker 4: Schador is at five. By the way. Okay, So say Shaudor goes in the late first.
Speaker 6: Think it was in a second what an idiot Kuiper is right, he had Well, guess what Boomer was. Three Bengals had three picks in the first round. Dan, I'm sitting there, first year at ESPN. You know what's going through my head.
Speaker 4: I'm one and done. I'm sitting there with Boom. I'm sitting there with Chris Berman, Boomer and Bob Lee. I'm thinking now, I'm not gonna be back for the nineteen eighty.
Speaker 6: Five d My third highest rated players there, and the Bengals passed them three times, Dan, and two of those three were bus They took him in the second round. Now to that philosophy, if you didn't like him enough to take him with your first three picks in there, why are you taking him in the second round. He's gonna be your quarterback. He's gonna be the guy, whether he was the first second round or he's your guy moving forward. You didn't even like him enough to take ahead of Rickey Hunley, Pete Kotch and Brian Blados. Okay, so again, I don't buy into any of that nonsense. Brett Fahr was like highly rated player went in the second round, right, Look what happened with him.
Speaker 4: Aaron Rodgers was supposed to go number one. Three.
Speaker 6: We will full of draft that slid to twenty four, the six of the eight sliding picks on terms of my rankings over the last yeah, since nineteen seventy Dan I went all the way back to nineteen seventy sixty eight hit six of the eight sliding quarterbacks hit. So maybe Schador will be one of the six that does really well.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Mel Kuiper, Draft Expert forty second NFL Draft and you can see ESPN with every pick there that'll be Thursday through Saturday. It'll be a mel and Field Ags Mike Greenberg the First Draft podcast as well with mel Kiper. Help me understand this then, I know we get it. We fall in love with quarterbacks. But if I say to a team that guy right there that you're going to take, it's not a quarterback, but he's going to be a future Hall of famer. But instead you'll roll the dice on cam Ward and cam can be maybe he's a Hall of famer. But if you said Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter, you know there's a couple of guys in here that you go. Chances are they could be the safest pick and be a future Hall of Famer. But we're gonna roll the dice on cam Ward. He explain the logic there at the top of the draft. It's a arm talent, Dan, it's the trades. It's that skill set that Brian Callahan.
Speaker 6: I listened to an interview with Brian Callahan and he said, I want a quarterback and everybody in the stadium those we're throwing a ball and throw the ball and deliver a pass and complete it.
Speaker 4: I want a guy that's wired, right.
Speaker 6: I want a guy that, certainly you know, can be not just good, because he said he said just good, just good.
Speaker 4: It's not good enough.
Speaker 6: Dan, it's been told to us. Listen to what they're saying. I don't want to go that's just good. They want Joe Burrow, they want Jaydon Dan. He mentioned Joe Burrow and Jadan Daniels in an interview. That's what he's shooting for. He's not shooting I said this for the last couple of years, Dan, the singles in double days for quarterbacks are over. This is and even maybe even a triple. You want a Grand Slam or a home runner. You don't want that guy, Dan. So what they're doing now is they're just keeping taking shots. They're taking shots. If my guy's not a triple, triple double or a triple home run or Grand Slam, he's just a double or single, just good, then I gotta get better.
Speaker 4: I gotta get better.
Speaker 6: And the one phrase that came out of everybody's mouth this last couple of years is I want a quarterback, my quarterback to play at consistently high level.
Speaker 4: Well, they're looking at great then, right, Yeah, consistently high level? Who does that? Dan?
Speaker 6: Patrick does it every day because he's a Hall of Famer, bottom line knows does these quarterbacks do it every day?
Speaker 4: Consistently high level?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 6: And that's where again, you look at what we're doing here. If we got a quarterback and we think he could be good, but we got to get better.
Speaker 4: This kid has the arm talent.
Speaker 6: Shador Sanders doesn't have the rocket arm, doesn't have the four to six beeding. This is the six three two thirty. Cam Ward has the rocket arm, has maneuver ability and creativity. The GM was with Patrick Mahomes. Patrick Mahomes has a lot of creativity and a live arm. They all see a little bit elements of the quarterback. They were with with a quarterback, they're going to select and I think they see some elements there of what Mahomes does to the way cam Ward does or doesn't do it that way.
Speaker 4: That's why cam Ward goes.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, Like, are you sure that cam Ward is going to be more successful or as successful as Travis Hunter?
Speaker 4: No? No, I don't think anybody can be sure of.
Speaker 2: So mightn't take that guy. That's a generational talent there. This is what I don't understand.
Speaker 4: Well, you can't do.
Speaker 6: You have to have It's the most important position in all sports, this quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you got to keep taking chances.
Speaker 6: I always say, if you don't have that quarterback, then you're spinning your wheels.
Speaker 4: They got Joe Burrow in Cincinnati didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you are. You can have all these pieces. That's what they said. And I was a big Trent Dilford supporter. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Ironically, you're in Baltimore, right, My homes have worn and raised in Baltimore. I right, how it all came full circle for me. But people say, well, you needed everything around. They'd let Trent do't for go. They cut him loose the next year for Elvis Kirback. They wanted to get better. Okay, they felt like, okay, we need everything around Trent. But he galvanized that team. He was the true leader. He was the difference maker on a team. They were one nowhere t Trent took over that year. Okay, and he let him all those wins, but it wasn't good enough even then. Think about that, Dan, it was a long time ago. It wasn't even good enough. Then they had a Super Bowl winning quarterback. They kicked them to the curb to try to get better. This has been going, this thought process, Dan has been going on a long time. The good isn't good enough at the quarterback position in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I need you to you gotta pace yourself because you got to get ready for a Thursday. Here, mel I mean, you're you're in first round mode right now.
Speaker 6: I don't know about that, Dan, the voice that always goes by, You're right by Thursday. I get all fired up this week and he start yelling and screaming, and by Thursday, Friday and Saturday, you got nothing left. So I'm with you. But hey, Dan, I could listen to you say pace it. I've been listening to you say pace it for about hell of may years and we've been together.
Speaker 4: Do I ever, Dan, listen to Dan Patrick?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know. I think it's interesting though, that your mock draft is saying this is your potential. This is how you grade them, not what the philosophy is of the teams. Is that correct?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 4: Philosophy?
Speaker 6: You want positions like I say, don't take a running back in the first But I'm not going to grade a kid like Ashton Genty or Amari and Hampton from North Carolina and put him as my sixty fifth player because I don't agree with taking your running back in the first You great them based on their ability, and that's why all those running backs were rated high. I have a philosophy that people said was idiotic, Dan, and now they're all agreeing with it. They all agree with it. Now you notice that how that's come full circle too. They all said I was a nut. Now they say, oh, you know, you shouldn't really draft a running back in the first round unless you're one of those great teams that just is missing the running back or that team won the CUSP that's just missing a running back. Tell me a team Dan in the top ten right now doesn't think they're going to be a pretty good team this coming year. Tell me a team that they are going to be picking first next year. Tell me a team going into next year's this coming season it thinks, oh, we're going to be the worst team in the league next year. Tell me a coach in that building or a player in that building they were a GM or an older that believes that.
Speaker 4: Okay, so to me, look at Tennessee.
Speaker 6: They were within a whisker last year of beating Chicago opening week of being the Jets. The second week they ended up beating Houston. They had a lot of games where they're just a mistake here or or a block that wasn't made, or a drop pass whatever it may, or penalty or whatever, or an interception to turnover.
Speaker 4: So again, this is a fine line.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 6: Washington went from being a team that was nothing to be because they had to hit with Jayden and Daniels, And that tells you what we talk about a quarterback.
Speaker 4: They hit with Jade Daniels and now look where they are now. Look at the future of the Washington Commanders, right I give Cincinnati.
Speaker 6: Hey, you get a mulligan with Joe Burrow. You're not getting two years with Joe Burrow where you don't make the playoffs. You got an MVP quarterback, you better get in the playoffs. I'll give you one year. I'm not going to give you two. So once you get that guy, you better win consistently.
Speaker 2: Do you regret not being a GM in the NFL?
Speaker 6: Not at all, Dan, though I had that chance to get into the league when a great probably the best I've never had in the NFL where we're all you think about Ernie a Corsi general manager who was going to bring me in at age twenty three before I came to ESPN, Dan, he offered me the position to come work for him, just do whatever, not as an assistant GM like some have you know, erroneously said it was just to be his assistant as a young kid coming in. If I need Kuiper to go wherever, I'll send them if I need him to find out something else.
Speaker 4: And I said great. He said, what do you want to do?
Speaker 6: He said, just keep going through the eighty three draft, will announce you. In July, I had the NFL security come down and interview and go through all the process to be accepted in and all that. So I was gonna it was all going to happen. In July, Ernie had drafted John Elway. Without his knowledge, er John Elway was traded to Denver. There was talking about the Colts leaving town. Ernie would obviously be leaving as well. He wasn't going to bring me in as his guy, knowing the future is so uncertain for him with this organization.
Speaker 4: He called me in June, Dan and he said, no.
Speaker 10: I can't bring you in. I said, I said, okay, what do you want me to do? He said, Hey, nobody knows that I was going to do this. It has n't go an announced to anybody. You've got a great business going. Keep doing what you're doing. Everybody craves that type of information.
Speaker 4: Keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 6: I did, and guess what, five months later, got a call from ESPN to come up an interview for the job. Got that started in nineteen eighty four. So without Ernie caring about a twenty three year old kid, and he would have just brought me in, I'd have been with a cult hit a laugh. I'd have been gone at some point espa able to have had another draft analyst, and I don't know what the heck gotta be doing right now, Dan, But that.
Speaker 2: Leads me to what happened with Brent Musberger. I campaigned for him. I reached out to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Pete Roseld Award. I'd like to do the same with you. I think you should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, Dan, but I don't I really, I never.
Speaker 6: I just believe there's so many people that just you get your fortunate, you get a little lucky on your side.
Speaker 4: You're around great people. I was, Dan, work with.
Speaker 2: You, all those you you changed, You changed an industry. What you have meant to the NFL. Can it's a different version of John Facenda, Like he was the voice and you were the draft guy. Like, look at what it's a cottage industry that you created that is contributions to the game. I know you're modest, I don't care. I'm going forward with it. You you deserve to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: You do, Dan, your a great friend. Andy Poland has been saying the same thing. I tell you, Andy, the same thing you know, Andy, and he said he's gonna.
Speaker 4: I said, you know to me.
Speaker 6: You get into this and you see so many people that were responsible with ESPN for what's happened.
Speaker 4: So you say I did this.
Speaker 6: ESPN really did it, Dan, because they televised this thing when the NFL didn't want it to be televised.
Speaker 4: Think about that.
Speaker 6: Think about all the great producers that were from Bill Fitz who offered me that position in eighty four, all the way up John Wildhat.
Speaker 4: You think about what he did, Freddy Gadelli. Freddy Goadelli was.
Speaker 6: Able to coach me along and teach me so many things about this business. Jay Rothman, Brian Ryder, now, Robert Dampsky, all the great producers.
Speaker 2: Way you're giving your Hall of Fame speech. Waye.
Speaker 6: Markman is believing in me all these years. Seth has been a great friend. So all the ESPN guys, Dan, they were responsible. And all the people that cut those highlight packs, that all that worked behind they were responsible for the draft sixce.
Speaker 4: That's keep in mind, Dan, ESPN televised draft before I got here.
Speaker 6: Okay, so the draft was on a ESPN because before I became a part of the telecast, that changed.
Speaker 2: You changed, well, I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: But for John Fis said to what you just said, the voice, that voice Dan pulled people into the NFL.
Speaker 2: You're the hair, he's the voicemail.
Speaker 6: My great friend, you'll be great friends. George Jung right, late great George Young, Calvert Hall's owned George Young, famous, famous graduate of Calvert Hall history, great friend of mine. Used write me handwritten notes after he got the book, when suggestions and just thoughts. He'd called me during the draft even and give me, get me to tell him his opinion of what went on.
Speaker 4: George Young always said one couple of things. He said.
Speaker 6: First of all, when you draft a player is just as important as who you select. So value is important. He said to me, yours when I basically when I started ESPN, you got it. You gotta get a voice, coach mail, you gotta get that ball, you gotta get that Baltimore accent out of that. You gotta lose that Baltimore accent. George, I said, Charles, I'm not going I gotta change it. Whatever I am, I am, and it's not it doesn't resonate, and his voice isn't getting done. I'm not I can't change my voice. George, you got to get that Baltimore accent and lose it. You're never gonna have any chance. So it was funny all the conversations I look back to with George and like Earady of course, and my great friend Jack Faultner with the rams was phenomenal back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Today, I mean, all the way, all the way through my career between Jack.
Speaker 4: Ernie George, save it for your Hall of Fame speech, I would say, they give that up. You know, I got a lot of people in the lake that hate me. You know, I got a lot of a lot of people. They have hated me for a long time.
Speaker 6: I do not think anything NFL related to the Hall of Fame whatever, that will never work hand in hand.
Speaker 2: Dan No, Uh, I'd say, pace yourself, but you're not capable. And uh, good to talk to you. As always.
Speaker 4: We'll see you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, appreciate it. Path take Everyboddy mel kiper draft expert. That's that's full mel that's mel unplugged, forty second draft and I think I've known him thirty five thirty six years. He's been that way, He'll be that way wire to wire. Before the draft you can listen to the final episodes of the First Draft podcast with Melfield, Yates and my Greenberg, available wherever you get your podcast well, close up Shop, Last Call for Phone Calls, What we learn, What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last Call for Phone Calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? This day in sports History, I have some over unders here with DraftKings Draft picks, Shardoor Sanders. The over under is eight and a half. I think it's been that way for a while. But you have Jack Dark twenty four and a half, Ashton genty six and a half, Mason Graham out of Michigan five and a half, and Tyler Warren the tight end out of Penn State over under nine and a half. For entertainment purposes only this day in sports history, Paul, what do you.
Speaker 7: Have for us soaking into that Ashton genty over under for a little bit. That's wild Our all time favorite, Dan, one of our all time favorites. This Day in Sports History. Nineteen eighty runner Rosie Luiz won the Boston Marathon when she crossed the finish line in a record time of two hours and thirty one minutes and fifty six seconds. After investigation, she was stripped to the honor with evidence showed that she didn't run the entire race. She slipped in with about four miles to go.
Speaker 2: It happens.
Speaker 4: Why break the record?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you get greedy. You know, Bonds didn't need to hit seventy three, Like if he hit sixty three, then we might go, okay, seventy three. Uh uh yeah, Paul.
Speaker 7: There's a great video of her after the race, I mean, within a minute after the race, doing an interview, and she is not very winded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see what happened on this date. M Joe Scarborough, not that Joe Scarborough, Morning Joe or cup of Joe. A fifty year old self employed electrical contractor. In twenty thirteen, he rolled the first nine hundred series in the history of the Professional Bowlers Association. He opened up with three straight perfect games thirty six consecutive strikes. Congratulations, Joe Scarborough. That was twenty thirteen.
Speaker 4: That's pretty impressct if you think about it.
Speaker 2: Well, hold on, let me think about it. Oh that is impression thirty six straight. Yeah, good thing. I had to think about it, or I wouldn't have thought it was that always that.
Speaker 3: One pin that's wiggling and it doesn't fall for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you to So we're heading to Green Bay, will be there Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and final results of the poll question during the final hour of the program, Ton.
Speaker 4: We've got a couple.
Speaker 3: One of them was if I bought an expensive piece of sports memorabilia like a jersey, I would eighty four percent say frame it's a display in my Homer office, twelve say sell it on eBay or something to make a profit, three percent wear it in public from time to time, one percent gifted to someone I know we'd really love it. And the other one is who are you rooting for to win the West? Thirty four percent say Oklahoma City twenty five, Golden State twenty one, Lakers, poud right behind twenty Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Thank you Todd doing the duties, I said, duties filling in for Seaton Kevin in Austin, Hi, Kevin, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey Dpe, thanks for fitting me in.
Speaker 12: I just I have a hard hitting question as known to be used on your show. Of all the aerial displays you've put on it and practice arenas, I believe there was one in Prehoenix, the Dallas one you spoke of. I didn't believe there was one at Indiana. And then my one seed has to be the infamous U Mass.
Speaker 11: Shoot off that you had when Coach Kal was there. What what would you what would you say?
Speaker 4: Your number one?
Speaker 2: Well, that one had to do with dunking. So there was one in UMass. There was one at Marquette when Kevin O'Neill was there and I was putting on an aerial display. There was the one at Hinkle Field House where George McGinnis, the great Indiana pacer, was going to be my color analyst on a broadcast where we did Wisconsin Green Bay believe or not. Tony Bennett was playing in that game and he said, oh, you can dunk. I said, well, I can do more than that, Georgia, and then I said I cannot shoot you, and he's like what I said, yes, but I'm not going to do that because we're in Indiana and other place, George, I'd probably try to embarrass you, but now I didn't it would have been bad for his brand and Georgia Hall of Fame Basketball very thoughtful. Yes, absolutely, Yeah, there have been some moments and looks. I have nothing to lose when I shoot against these guys, nothing and they have everything to lose, and some of them lost some credibility along the way. Jeremiah in Indiana, Hi, Jeremiah, how were you dp?
Speaker 11: Thanks for taking my call five to five and one to ninety five. The best and worst of the weekend is in the same event. Best was the Indiana Pacers winning at home playoff game, first time at home in over ten years. The worst and Adam Silver Commissioner Silver was attendance for of it was the ten to eleven to thirteen seconds it took for Joannis to shoot a free throw. Can the NBA utilize the shot clock during free throw shooting the game?
Speaker 2: Well, they're supposed to. It gets there. There's been a pitch clock for a long long time in baseball. They didn't institute it, they didn't enforce it, but you're supposed to have ten seconds there. Matt in Wisconsin, Hi, Matt.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dan, this is Coach Hocket from UW Stevens Point our passion buckets are full here with you coming into Wisconsin. We're excited to come over and see I actually got both of my kids with me. They wanted to say hello, and we're driving over the Green Bay. Our best of the weekend was we had a women's basketball bank with this past weekend. We made the NCAA tournament this past year. But I joked with a local reporter, none of that would happen without your commitment back in the fall. And we're just so excited. We got some shirts for you and the day nuts. We got a sweatshirt cooking for you, and we actually my wife credit her. We have an NCAA tournament participant, Dalli. And then the NCAA rep asked me how many players do we have. I go seventeen. She's kind of my director of operations. She hits me and she goes, no, you have eighteen. You got to get one for Dan. So we're gonna bring all that over to you guys on Wednesday at the bar, and we're just so excited to have you in Stevens Point, in Green Bay and in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Thank you, coach. Look forward to seeing you and the family. He's got to understand it's Doug Gottlieb's territory Wisconsin, Green Bay, Wisconsin. Stevens Point, What did I learn today?
Speaker 3: Todd mel Kiper Junior loves your door, has him five in his big board, saysys An LTP.
Speaker 4: Or he looks the part.
Speaker 2: Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Mako, they bring your car back to life. Affordable pain chobs, light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Mako. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, they all around support. Have a great day, everybody. We'll talk to you later.