Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest potential deals in technology is game Stop's attempt to buy eBay. In May, the video game retailer and it's CEO Ryan Cohen, launched an unsolicited fifty six billion dollar bid for the e commerce platform. eBay rejected the offer, calling it neither credible nor attractive. Since then, Cohen has scrapped a controversial multi billion dollar pay package, and game Stop shareholders have approved increasing the company's authorized sharecount, giving it more flexibility to pursue strategic transaction. So where does the deal stand now? Ryan Cohen joins us on Bloomberg Television and Radio. Right, thank you for your time, and good morning, welcome to Bloomberg Tech. On the long list of things that have happened since May, our audience just has a very simple question, forew which is what's changed, what's developed in that period of time.
Speaker 3: There has been a complete failure by the media to explain why this transaction makes sense. And so number one, my track record chewing in game Stop, it speaks for themselves, my alignment with shareholders.
Speaker 4: I'm putting five.
Speaker 3: Hundred million dollars of my own money into the transaction, the high margin growth opportunities for this business within live commerce, which company has not been doing well, and using game stop stores as nodes for both the marketplace and live commerce is huge because the business today in live commerce is tiny.
Speaker 4: And then building out a.
Speaker 3: Digital marketplace for in game items, those are just like some of the high growth opportunities within the business. And then there is the cost takeout opportunity. I've committed to taking out two billion dollars within the first year, and that's just the beginning. So this whole narrative that the business is going to be too leveraged is a fantasy invented by the media and it's just simply in our trill.
Speaker 2: On the banking side, let's go there. You lined up some banking support, right, and I think that one of the concerns that Moody's put out there as an example was the credit rating and the credit worthiness of the combined entity. So again another question from the audience is explain the banking support that you've secured since May, but also that concern that the debt component of it, what the credit negative outlook would be for a combined entity based on the plan that you just outlined.
Speaker 4: We have a highly confident letter from our bankers.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of party that are interested in this transaction, and the most important thing ultimately, if we can't get the debt, then it means that eBay can't get the debt, and eBay can get the debt, so its entire narrative is simply not trill.
Speaker 2: I didn't explain that question very well, Ryan, if I'm self reflective honest about it, So I'm just going to go back to it. Your financing letter is from TD right, and it was widely reported to depend on the combined company maintaining investment grade credit rating, and then Moodies came out and said that this deal would be credit negative for the combined company. Have you taken steps to address that.
Speaker 3: Nobody has reached out to us, including the credit agencies, but the pro forma company is going to be investment grade.
Speaker 2: We talked to the beginning of the conversation about now shareholders improving, increasing sorry the company's authorized share count. Does that allow you to do something new that you couldn't have otherwise done in the context of the eBay deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean yes it does.
Speaker 1: And what would that be.
Speaker 3: By the business by eBay.
Speaker 2: Are posted on x that you were coming on the show, and you know, in the context of what you've done with financial mechanics of late, you know, the question that existing games Stop shareholders sent me over and over again is, you know, you're asking them to accept pretty significant dilution, and they're basically asking, like, what's the payoff for them in accepting that dilution.
Speaker 4: There's different forms of dilution.
Speaker 3: Most dilution is dilutive to shareholders. When you're buying a business and I've committed to pulling two billion dollars.
Speaker 4: Of costs out. So if you do the math and.
Speaker 3: Buying a business for fifty six billion, and the business is forecasted to make over three and a half billion, that's the consensus for twenty twenty six plus what I would be pulling out in costs, so you're at over five and a half billion of ebadah, and then the ability to take this platform and build a much much larger business.
Speaker 4: The upside is huge.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't go and buy a business if I didn't think I can take it from fifty six billion and turn it into multiples larger.
Speaker 4: So it's a creative to shareholders.
Speaker 3: But most of the time when companies are issuing shares, it's dilutive and earnings per share goes down. In this case, it's a different story. But most of the time you have management teams. A good example is this company that collect tons of risk free compensation and they're not aligned with shareholders.
Speaker 4: In this case, that's not the case.
Speaker 2: You had the letter from TD you said earlier you were going to put five hundred million dollars of your own money into this transaction. Outside of that, Is there any other financing support, any other parties that since mid May you've pulled into it.
Speaker 3: We've had a lot of parties come to us, and there's been a lot of interest from the capital markets.
Speaker 2: We're live on Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio with Ryan Cohen, the CEO of game Stop. We're talking about Ryan and gamestopspid to buy eBay. Really simple question. Has anyone from eBay, the management team or the board reached back out to you or responded to you in this inter in period.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I hope they do, but.
Speaker 3: They're entrenched and they're hiding behind their advisors.
Speaker 2: If I go to Teddy dot com on any browser, I'm diverted back to gamestock dot com.
Speaker 3: Why I'm focused on game Stop.
Speaker 2: The roost of the question is, let's say that you proceed with this. There's a very wide range of opinion speculation. Basically, why does Ryan Cohen want to buy eBay? At one extreme is the idea that you just want to be the CEO of eBay rather than GameStop. At the other end is the idea that you have a bigger plan, a master plan. You kind of talked about it a little bit earlier, but what's the reality here? What is the bigger picture for a combined entity? Or referencing Teddy dot com, there's some history there, but a sort of can conglomerate. It's a holding company.
Speaker 3: eBay is a platform that I can build into something much more profitable and much larger. The ability to take game stop stores and our experience in gaming and refurbished tech and collectibles combined with eBay and be a leader in live commerce, build out an in game digital marketplace, use the stores for the same day authentication, and ultimately pull down pull out significant costs, and none of these things come at the expense of growth. It's actually the opposite. The more efficient you get, the easier it is to grow. It makes too much sense. So that's why I want to business. That's why I want to buy it. It's not that complicated. There is such overlap between the businesses, and my experience is in e commerce.
Speaker 1: Right, are you prepared to improve the offer?
Speaker 4: Ryan, I'm not going to negotiate against myself, but.
Speaker 1: That might be what it takes.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens ed.
Speaker 2: You've talked about this a little bit recently. A lot of people point out to me you've done a number of interviews in quick succession, Right what happens to eBay just keeps saying.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, it's going to be the owners of the business that are going to decide who's more competent, who's more aligned with shareholders, and who's more capable of building a much, much larger business. So the management team can only aide for so long. And I would love for this to be a collaborative process and a consensual that's my preference, that's number one. But if that doesn't happen, then it's going to be shareholders' decision because they're the owners of the business.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk a lot more about the game Stop business, a lot more about eBay, and we're going to take a break and come back and do that talk about what's really happening. I have a final question from the audience that I promised I would put to you, and it's from game Stop shareholders. A lot of game Stop shareholders have asked about the warrants that expire in October. You know, another recent or relatively recent financial tracks action from the company. What should they expect happens with those warrants between now in October of this year.
Speaker 4: I don't have a crystal wall. I can't answer that question.
Speaker 2: Okay, their expectation is that when they expire, I think the date over twenty six is that's the outcome.
Speaker 3: Ed people that have invested alongside me when it comes to or a game stop and me committing five hundred million dollars into eBay, they've done They've done very very well.
Speaker 4: So I don't have a crystal ball.
Speaker 3: I can't predict the future, nor can anyone that I've ever met.
Speaker 4: But GameStop is a business that.
Speaker 3: Was on the brink of bankruptcy and everybody was betting against it for a good reason, and now the company is making more money than it's ever made in its history.
Speaker 2: Ryan Cohen, CEO game Stop, you're sticking around, We're going to take a break and then we're going to talk about that business, GameStop and what it's doing.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're live on Bloomberg Tech with GameStop CEO Ryan Cohen. Let's put the eBay deal potential deal aside for a moment. Whatever happens with eBay. Game stops so one of the biggest names in gaming. I get a lot of questions about that, and Ryan, if you're up for it, let's start with Grand Theft Auto six. You know it's expected to be one of the biggest entertainment launches ever. You go to GameStop dot com, pre orders are available. What are you seeing? What a customer is telling you?
Speaker 3: Ed, I want to go back and talk about eBay. I want to know if you wanted to build, if you wanted to build the trillion dollar.
Speaker 4: Business, and.
Speaker 3: You had the existing management team. Guy running the company makes thirty million bucks a year, hasn't bought a single share in the open market, and then you have someone that's committed five hundred million might me, So we don't have to talk in hypotheticals. Who's more competent and capable of building a larger business. I want you to look at your viewers in the eyes and tell them, are you going to bet on an entrench management team running the business or me someone I went head to head against Amazon selling thirty pound bags of dog food, turned around a very tough situation at GameStop, and now the company is making lots of money.
Speaker 4: I really want to know your opinion, Ryan.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna I'm not here to answer the question. The audience doesn't care what I think about this deal. They're here for you. But the link to grand theft Auto six for what it's worth. GameStop has twenty two hundred stores across the jurisdictions it operates in. Right, it sells hardware, video games, consoles that are going discless at some point you need to hire people for those stores. People are looking at what they know about the proposed structure of this deal that's on the table and trying to understand, in part what we talked about earlier, right, taking the costs out of the combined business, to understand what the plan is here, what the master plan is for the combined entity.
Speaker 1: So let's go with that.
Speaker 2: Like, what is the synergistic play here between eBay, the eco moss business, and GameStop, which right now is a brick and mortar business selling video games, consoles, collectibles.
Speaker 4: We're going to unlock live commerce.
Speaker 3: We're going to use the stores for same day authentication. I'll give you an example. Let's just talk about trading cards right now. Right the biggest mast shoe on eBay is fraud. So they've done really well on authenticity guarantee because you know, when you buy an item now and it's got the AG.
Speaker 4: Certification, it's legit.
Speaker 3: It's going through a centralized model right now, so the sellers shipping it costs a lot of money. There's a few fulfillment centers, take some time, and then it goes to the buyer can ultimately go Once these businesses are together, we've got sixteen hundred nodes.
Speaker 4: They're within a fifteen minute.
Speaker 3: Drive of eighty percent of the population, and you can authenticate the item same day for cheaper.
Speaker 4: So that's just one item. Live commerce, the business is getting smoked.
Speaker 3: Live commerce is a trillion dollar addressable market it's really really big in Asia. There's some competitors in the US that are doing very very well. eBay is not doing very well. So the ability to go and use our nodes for as studios and as fulfillment and logistics for content creators is huge. And then we have a bit of experience in gaming when it comes to the buy trade and someone by the buy selling trade model. So the ability for us to use eBay's rails to build out an in game digital marketplace is huge. So those are just some of the opportunities to take this business and build it into something that the existing management team on a standalone basis can never do.
Speaker 2: So the situation is collectibles are clearly a central part of the plan. Right If this deal goes through the Combined entity on gaming, it sounds like you are preparing for a world where gaming is discless. There will be a trade in secondhand trade in but that this is the umbrella point, right Like if the hardware makers Sony Xbox are reportedly moving to diskless on the console side, future game launches are digital only. Where does that fit in for your business plan and the combined entity?
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter at all software It mattered in the past. Software today makes up less than twelve percent of the business and collectibles makes up over half the business, So it's totally totally irrelevant.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that you learned from the NFT marketplace experiment a game Stop that you you think you can put into practice if the deal goes through in this combined entity.
Speaker 1: What was the takeaway for you from that?
Speaker 4: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Game Stop has looked at.
Speaker 2: Digital business lines outside of the physical world. What did you learn from game Stop looking at those markets?
Speaker 4: Do you know how much money game Stop is making today?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: One hundred and forty three million in Q one buyer stop braining earnings in the company's history.
Speaker 1: There was surprise at the strength of earnings recently. But again, you know the audience.
Speaker 3: Does everybody in the everybody in the media wants game Stop to fail?
Speaker 4: Explain that to me ed?
Speaker 3: Why everybody in the media, in the mainstream media wants game Stop to fail? You've got there's nothing more American then game Stop committing its balance sheet and this company, which is a great American company, eBay being aligned with shareholders, that's how this country was built. Is risking your own capital, and if the business succeeds, you make money, and if the business fails, you'll lose a lot of money. And what I want to understand is why everybody wants Game.
Speaker 4: Stop to fail. Both it's core business and in this transaction.
Speaker 3: What world do we live in where we're betting against We're we're rooting for the an entrenched management team that has no skin in the game and someone that's risking their own capital. And there's nothing more American than that you want us to fail. I want to understand that.
Speaker 1: Ryan, I'm a technology journalist. I host the Tech show on Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: When this deal broke in May, I my team invited you onto the show, and it took a number of months. You're now here on the show, and in advance of you coming on the show, I posted on social media that you were coming on the show. I always give our audience opportunity to ask their questions. That's what we're doing here, giving you an opportunity to present. I think that the one outstanding thing is people asking when will they see a sort of codified plan from you, a business plan presented for this combined entity.
Speaker 1: On paper.
Speaker 2: You've explained a bit of it in the course of this conversation. But that's why the audience is here to listen to you to explain the future of a business that is a combination of gamestot and eBay.
Speaker 3: I'm going to bring that plan directly to shareholders. It's not going to be through a TV show.
Speaker 4: You can count on it. It's going to be directly to shareholders.
Speaker 1: And do you have a timeline for that, Ryan.
Speaker 3: We've had an in of parties that have come to USK and they're interested.
Speaker 4: In due course, the plan is going to be made public, but.
Speaker 1: In the shortest plan and also.
Speaker 3: Building a much larger business. I mean, you know, what is the goal of business?
Speaker 4: What is my goal?
Speaker 3: I own a lot of stock and I don't have any perverse incentives, so it's to make the business a lot more profitable and to maximize shareholder value.
Speaker 4: So that's the plan. It's not that complicated.
Speaker 3: And I've spoken about huge growth areas within cutting costs. That's just short term, but live commerce and building out an in game digital marketplace. So I've shared that with you, But everyone in the past have said, what's the business plan?
Speaker 4: What's the business plan?
Speaker 3: But they only do that with game Stop for whatever reason. Well, you know what the business plan is to make money. Game Stop just reported its highest earnings in the company's history with a fraction of the stores, and everybody in the media said GameStop was going to fail.
Speaker 4: So the plan is to make more money.
Speaker 3: The plan is to maximize shareholder value. Am I going to go and share my proprietary plan and every single detail and give it out to my competitors.
Speaker 4: That'd be a pretty stupid thing to do.
Speaker 2: Ryan, We have literally thirty seconds left in the show. Again, are you prepared to raise your offer for eBay? You set out your vision, but the action you're willing to take to do it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to call my shots, but we're coming for eBay one way or another.
Speaker 2: Ryan Cohen, CEO of GameStop, and extended conversation on Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your time.