Speaker 1: Hey, fan Dorito's and welcome to a very very special episode of How Rude Tanertos. Now, normally I would do this intro just you know, improv, but because this is such an important interview to me, I've written a little something from the heart to introduce our next two guests.
Speaker 2: This is a big deal. AB has been preparing for this, so.
Speaker 1: Today we are doing an interview that I have been preparing literally for thirty six years. As a precocious thirteen year old girl, my first loves were none other than the five hardest working kids in show business, New Kids on the Block and today Deep Breath we have Jordan and Jonathan Knight on the podcast. They were young te teenagers when NKOTB was created in nineteen eighty four and went on to sell over eighty million records, paving the way for all those other boy bands that followed in their footsteps.
Speaker 2: After breaking up.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety four, the band reunited in two thousand and eight and have since done four albums, twelve headlining tours, and twelve chartered fan cruises.
Speaker 2: I've done five.
Speaker 1: I was going to say eleven out of twelve, eleve only five, Okay, I got to catch up. Their twenty twenty four full length studio album, Still Kids, debuted at number four on the Billboard Top Album Sales chart this May and landed the group's first Billboard Top thirty single in thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Super impressive.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Jordan, who is one of the most dynamic performers I have ever seen on stage, has had a successful career as a solo artist and is now a restauranteer off stage. And John, who has the biggest heart of anyone I know, is currently starring in several successful renovation shows on HGTV, including Farmhouse Fixer and Camp Revamp. This week, NKOTB announced that they will host their first Las Vegas residency in twenty twenty five at the Dolby Live at Park. MGM, I am so stoked. You're so excited. I am so excitedly awesome. I love these guys for so many reasons. I fell in love with them originally in nineteen eighty eight because they were cute and they had dance moves that made me swoon. But today I love them because their hearts are even bigger than their extraordinary talents. I said I wasn't going to cry, and here we are.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 2: No, I'm so excited for this, so big, great for me.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 1: We Blockheads, as their fans are affectionately known, are the luckiest fans in the world. What an indescribable joy to discover that the boys you worshiped as teenagers grew up to be outstanding humans who love their fans just as much as we love them. There is a phrase five Brothers and a Million Sisters which so perfectly encapsulates the closeness between the fandom and the band fans. It is my absolute pleasure and honor to welcome Jonathan and Jordan Knight.
Speaker 5: Are you going to pass out? If you pass out, can I catch you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Just hold me up.
Speaker 2: We're here.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Come in and hai, that was so loud.
Speaker 4: So excited to have Please have a seat on the couch.
Speaker 1: Welcome couch.
Speaker 7: Look at you as.
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: I have wait why you goose bumps?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 1: I told you they were just well, I know, I did an intro and cried, what's wrong with me? I will let them, but I know them like why because it's very emotion.
Speaker 8: New kids on the block are here. Well, two of them to be clear. Can we get like a little preview of what you like? Can you just do a performance?
Speaker 2: Okay I want to ask that.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, but no, we'll get to the podcast first and then we'll get to all that.
Speaker 2: But I got questions, so many questions.
Speaker 8: Jonathan Jordan, we are so glad you guys are here with us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming on the podcast.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: We drove to Vegas yesterday in a Hyundai Ionic, which was so much fun, and Abe put on quite the new kids playlist.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I had to brief her.
Speaker 2: Here's what, just do a deep dive and yeah, so it was so it was the deep deep cut the block. Well that's a deep cut.
Speaker 1: Now it's the block, right, but a little a little hanging tough in there, a little still kids, your new album comes out?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I was like, just you hate me, tell me, tell me what I need to do on this sounds fun.
Speaker 2: It was so fun, it was. We stopped it.
Speaker 8: We stopped at Alien Jerky to charge the car, which took like fifteen minutes to charge it, which was amazing, very fast. We got some Alien Jerky not made it, really, I said.
Speaker 2: We went to.
Speaker 4: Calico Ghost Town. We saw our performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a performance.
Speaker 8: In a dry lake bed that was entirely powered by the electric cars. Speakers, Yeah, a smoothie thing everything.
Speaker 2: It's like a reverse. It's a reverse. It's like a boost.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a boost, and you can actually power things from the car.
Speaker 2: So it was really cool. Anyway, it was It was really cool. It was fun. We went to Calico ghost Town.
Speaker 8: I brought some ghost home for Andrea and yeah, and then we made it here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, barely stressed. I was stressed because I was like, the New Kids have a launch party at seven and our ETA is like seven to twelve. So yeah, yeah, I gotta get that.
Speaker 8: I got us here in time. She I was like, I will have you there by such. She's like, yeah, we just kind of just you know.
Speaker 4: I made it.
Speaker 3: I made it.
Speaker 1: I saw you guys. That was an incredible entrance. You drove in on a double decker bus and announced your first Las Vegas tour next year at the Dolby Live at the Park. MGM, congratulations, you guys are crazy.
Speaker 2: That is are you excitable?
Speaker 3: You know we've been talking about it for so long, right, and it really it wasn't until last night that the billboard went up that it was real, you did this, this is happening.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we've always like this for a long time. Twenty years talked about Vegas and it always seemed like Vegas always seemed like, you know, where artists go to just retire basically, you know, that's what was the perception of Vegas, right.
Speaker 7: But now it's changed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you have people like Usher and Lady Gaga and stuff.
Speaker 8: It's like it's the idea of a residency is no longer like where you go to you know, so about your years, it's like, oh, you have a residency now, Like that's like a huge thing.
Speaker 7: So it's a cool thing.
Speaker 9: So it's like and it became cool and cool as we went on, and we were always thinking, you know, what do we do next?
Speaker 7: As as the new kids, what are we going to do next?
Speaker 9: And Vegas has always been on our mind And finally the time the time came and it was like last night was it became real and it was like, wow, we're actually we're here.
Speaker 7: We're here now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it went viral like people my phone was blowing up, Oh oh my gosh, should you hear? And I'm like, yeah, I kind.
Speaker 8: Of knew about, but it was you were so excited about it, and like you know, Andrew and I were talking to and it's such an interesting experience that we kind of share in a weird way of like being known for something that we did when we were really young and kind of going away for a little while, like you know, taking a break and then getting this like amazing resurgence that comes back in a whole new way, and like you said, like the the emotions of.
Speaker 2: It and being so.
Speaker 8: You're just like, we get to do this again, like when we when we saw the Times Square billboards and the billboards in La for full our House, same thing.
Speaker 2: Cry. It's all of a.
Speaker 8: Sudden, That's when it feels real. Is that now other people know they're advertising for it.
Speaker 4: It's not something that's going to.
Speaker 5: Be like well, actually we're not going to do that now, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's more than a job like these this is these were our childhoods, These are our lives, you know, and so it is it's I as an adult, I appreciate it so much more. The perspective is.
Speaker 2: Different for you.
Speaker 3: Just even you think how many times in your life do you get a second chance at some thing, and you know, all.
Speaker 8: Four of us like, how lucky you, particularly in this business where it's like once you've done a thing, it's like okay bye.
Speaker 2: To have.
Speaker 8: Fans that like are so loyal and connected to like what we've what you guys have done, what we've done, Like it's really it's it's so cool. But yeah, I just wondered, like, what is that like to come back for you guys?
Speaker 9: Well, no, I think and you guys probably feel the same way as kind of like when you have a hot show when you're when you're a hot artist, and then it kind of fades away.
Speaker 7: You you start to question, you know, was that real? Was that cool? Was that like right? You like have self doubt, you know, and then when and then other trends and stuff start coming in, like maybe like TV shows started being different.
Speaker 10: And you're like, oh, we were on those like eighties cornah, I mean, and then and then it comes back around and the public wants that again, you know what I mean, and inside of you it like goes like, no, we were we were cool, Like.
Speaker 9: We did do something, we did do something that made an impact and that was meaningful. So it's not like you don't you don't want to go through life looking for like that kind of external validation, but it is real and it does feel amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think as.
Speaker 8: An artist too, like particularly when you when you did do something when you were young, or you're like, I'm so I've changed now, I've changed, fans have changed this and that that you kind of feel like, oh, yeah, like maybe it maybe it wasn't that great, Maybe I wasn't that talent, maybe it was just the zeitgeist of the moment or whatever. But yeah, when you get to come back and you're like, no, actually we got to create something, and whether it was comedy or music or whatever, it was like that creative spirit is so.
Speaker 2: Much fun to get to come back to. And I did you guys have.
Speaker 8: A different perspective like coming back now as adults, well, like having kind of taken a little break.
Speaker 3: Or definitely but but but also I'm going back a little bit. You know at twenty five was when my career ended with the New Kids, And you know, I don't think a lot of people talk about that, like the pressure that was on me as a twenty five year old to still you know, you got to you know, support everything that I had, you know, so that was crazy. I don't know where I'm going with.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 1: Hesitant to come back in two thousand and eight because.
Speaker 3: Well, oh so, you know, I think us taking time away from each other really helped. You know, we were probably like you guys, we were young kids. You guys were girls that we were boys. There was probably no like fists being thrown at each other when.
Speaker 8: I don't think so, no, no, I tried to punch me once, but yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Just just being around each other for you know, every minute of the day.
Speaker 7: You just you get to a point where's just like family.
Speaker 8: You like you're feeling like for better or worse, like real family, love each other like a family, and you drive each other crazy like a family. And sometimes families need time to part, and sometimes families go in great vacations together.
Speaker 3: And there, you know, getting getting back together, I mean, we really talked about how, you know, what, what's going to change, how it's going to be. You know, I was definitely on board, but I was a little guarded, like are we going to fall right back into the same routine? And it worked out.
Speaker 9: It was, it worked out, and I feel like everyone when we got back together, everyone was like it was kind of like we're trying to figure out our roles again, but we really didn't have to. Like it's settled and everyone was in the same role.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and totally understand. But that's exactly what that means. We're like we're now, but we're still the same.
Speaker 9: Like everyone was like, who's the you know, this is like everything settled, and it's just like, yeah, we went fell into our same rules. That's how it worked, right, That's how it worked in the past, That's how it was working now. Yeah, So that's what happened when we got back together.
Speaker 7: I was the same way I was, like, I was kind of anxious about like will will we like have.
Speaker 9: The same you know, any kind of dysfunctions we had in the past. And we did go through that like friction period when we came back together and and it did settle and then we started growing, right, and our relationships are a lot better now than they've ever been.
Speaker 8: Well, you get to come back to it again with that like adult perspective, and when again, when you've done something like as kids, you do weirdly fall into that same behavior dynamic relationship, you know, And I mean we all did it on the show too, whatever, and Dave and John Lurid would come around. We were like kids get you know, wait wait we are the adults now we got to you know. But you sort of fall back into that and like it is nice when you get to grow up together and be like, oh wait, we don't have to be those people anymore. And that was fine when we were you know, eighteen, but now like now who are we now?
Speaker 5: How do we get along?
Speaker 8: But what what keeps you guys like inspired to keep making music? Because that's like I just love watching artists develop and change over time and like go from doing something in one space and like continue to create and change it. And I just would love to hear, like what inspires you guys to keep writing and making music?
Speaker 7: I mean, you're artists, but yeah, it's just uh, making new music is just fun. It's just like.
Speaker 9: It brings new life to the shows that we do. It brings new life to us as a group. And music is music. It just feels great, you know when you're doing something new or you like, you know, you hear stuff on the radio or you get ideas and then you just like I want to do something like that or something like this, or do something like that, and do something like this and put it together. It's just the creative process is fun, and it's like it keeps us alive as a band, and it keeps our fans interested to do new things. It's it's it's the fuel that keeps us going. I would say, just to do new music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Well you.
Speaker 2: Don't feel like you're stuck, you know, like.
Speaker 8: Right like you and you know, we love saying our hatphrases and we love doing our full house stuff. But it is it's nice when you get to like expand a little bit as an artist and like have the gratitude for what people love, but also be like, but I'm also still an artist and creative, been like doing new stuff.
Speaker 5: And I'm not you know, I'm not stuck. Thirty seven years ago, Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Remember in like nineteen ninety one or two or something like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, something like that, we were on a tour and it was just like we kept touring and touring and touring and singing the same song, same songs, doing the same routines, and I was in their places were packed and everything was great you know on paper, but I was like I.
Speaker 7: Was getting so depressed.
Speaker 9: I was like, oh my god, like we're just we're robots right now, right, And I was just like, man, we need to get off the road and do something new or refresh this thing. So that's what new music does for us.
Speaker 3: I mean this past tour, the Magic Summer Tour, it was so nice to like open the show with the two brand new songs. Yes, it felt so good.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I think I think we did a lot of new music this tour, and this was probably one of my favorite tours really, just I think doing a lot of new stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you sang the closing song Better Days, Yes, you were.
Speaker 2: The lead vocalist.
Speaker 1: Was that this was like your first time being lead vocalist seeing a full song like, well, could you imagine nineteen year old Jonathan Knight see lead vocalist.
Speaker 3: Could have done it back then easier than I could have done it now?
Speaker 2: Oh really?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I think I think my nerves got worse as I got old.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I was a kid.
Speaker 3: I just didn't give it mentality.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'll be the idiot, and then you're like.
Speaker 3: Then it just got in my head.
Speaker 1: Well, it was so special for not just the John girls out there, but all of the blockheads. Like we were just crying. We were like this is it, Like this is it John? It was so special. It is the best way to end to and the concert. And so it's a great song. Yeah, but you both sing on it. It's just the brothers. Brothers are singing together.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 8: Love hearing though, like so many artists. And I think now, like you know, I've talked about it, Andrew's talked about like anxiety and that thing that you get, like it is when you're a young person and it's just kind of you're like you don't even think about it. You're just that's just what you do when you're playing, and you're like whatever, And then you start getting like this perspective of like, wait, people are talking about me. Wait what are people that you know? And you start like like tripping yourself out. And when social media hasn't.
Speaker 3: Helped my nieces and you know, my nephews, but especially my nieces, they you know, they are so insecure because of you know what everybody you they post a picture and then you know people are like, don't read the comment the comments.
Speaker 7: Yes, Number one up social media good for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And honestly, when I stopped, I was like, what do I do with myself?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: What I've got seven hours today that I killed, Like, I.
Speaker 7: Just realized how much I was like.
Speaker 5: Just mindless girl, mindless grolling.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: And then you get used to it and.
Speaker 9: It's like, oh my gosh, like I don't want to do that again. Yeah, and all the fans are like, come back to social media.
Speaker 7: Social media, and I understand that, and it is fun. It is fun to do. It's fun to create posts and post them and everything else.
Speaker 9: But for me, it's I really like it not being on social media.
Speaker 7: You get bombarded with so much shit, and.
Speaker 8: I mean you guys in particular, but all of it. We grew up in a boundaryless world. We grew up in a world where we didn't there was no we didn't get to be like no, you know, it was fan interaction and a lot, you know, from a young age.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so like you finally get to a point.
Speaker 8: In your life where you're like, I love my fans, but I have to live in my skin, so I'm going to have to need to take a break. And I think if anything like hearing people that they've grown up with talking about this and talking about like, yeah, it's it's not even it's a lot for us sometimes too, that humanity of it. Like I think people are starting to understand it a little more, like just the the demand of growing up in a business where you don't get to turn off.
Speaker 7: Right a lot. Well, you can start to think like I can't do that, like I can't put boundaries up, I can't do they they deserve it, or like I don't deserve to say right right right.
Speaker 9: So I could see that coming in, and yeah, you do. When you start from a young age, you do get brainwashed into thinking that that who you are, that's what you have to do, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can understand.
Speaker 8: And you know, you have so many amazing loyal fans, like you want to give back to them and you want to do stuff. But it's yeah, it's like learning how to find that balance. And I think it makes it a lot more fun to come back as an adult when you can find that balance. And I know, for me, when I like, don't spend time on social media, I'm almuch more creative. I'll be writing, I'll be like just so much more creative.
Speaker 2: And I'm like Oh yeah. It kind of just sucks all the brain power out of me, you know.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I'm not a big social media person anymore either.
Speaker 1: I hate to interrupt this, but Jodie has a flight to catch.
Speaker 2: I have a flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're kicking her out and then you guys mylan.
Speaker 8: It this way I am and now I leave you alone. I'm so glad I got to see you guys though. It was wonderful to see you again. Spent since what since Fuller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to talk about that next. Okay, you got this, you go. I'm gonna send you off on a way y'all have fun.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna seek.
Speaker 3: Out here the Brothers podcast, Barber.
Speaker 1: I got you guys all to myself now now that Jokey's out of the way. So I am just so excited about this, this conversation. Uh, let's go back to when you guys appeared on Fuller House in season two. What was it like when you got that phone call and they were like, hey, let's have new kids on the block on Fuller House. What were your first thoughts?
Speaker 7: I was like, I'm not an actor, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, So you're a little nervous mate.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, I was nervous, but I was also excited about doing the show.
Speaker 7: I never I was never on a sitcom set till.
Speaker 1: Then first sitcom.
Speaker 7: Yeah, live audience, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: It was so did you enjoy it? Okay?
Speaker 3: It was funny for me because I watched the show. Okay, yes, I watched the original, you know, and then when when we were asked to be on, all of a sudden, we were like super cool with our nieces in their fews.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, it's so funny.
Speaker 9: Yeah about our audience like expanding, like the demographic of our audience.
Speaker 7: Expanding, and just being on that show. It's like, you guys have such a big audience, like.
Speaker 1: Loyal fans just like you guys do ye.
Speaker 7: Seriously, like neighbors of mine, like their kids, they were like they are We were like we were famous now yeah, Like it was.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, we know, we know who you are, We know you guys. I think Danny was a little offended because someone came up to him once and was like, oh, you're a real band, and he's like, yeah, we're a real band. Like this wasn't created for Fuller House. So yeah, sorry sorry to Danny, but I'm glad that you guys you know, have street red with your neighbors andieces.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was fun to do and definitely uh an honor and uh definitely thank you. Thank you guys, I know, because you guys got us on this.
Speaker 1: We did, but thank you, no, thank you. And I have to say Jordan, I mean, you were both so dynamic on the show. But Jordan, you were a really good actor. Like I did not expect that from you because you're you're a little shy in real life, and so I was just like, oh, he's into this. You and I were like doing bits. We're like, okay, I'm gonna steal the microphone from you and then like we're gonna have to tell over the microphone. And I'm like, oh, he's into this, like he is on you know. It was it was so good. Would you consider acting in the future?
Speaker 7: Would I consider acting? I've never maybe once or twice I've considered it. And then I was like, I don't want to be an actor. I can't remember lines. Oh I'm no good. I remember Maybe I could. I didn't try. Maybe I didn't try that.
Speaker 1: No, No, you were you were word perfect as we.
Speaker 7: Say it was word perfect because I had like little one liners. Okay, I think.
Speaker 9: That's what I'm good at because like I don't have to do this long you know, you don't have to have But people have asked me about acting, and I've never had the just the passion for it, uh to really go out there.
Speaker 7: And if there was like a.
Speaker 9: Like a role that really fit me and was easy and just fell on my lap, I'd be like, okay, but I don't have the motivation to go out there and you know, pound the pavement and try to get roles and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Is it different memorizing lyrics versus lines, because it seems like the lyrics come so easily to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the lyrics, well I should talk because I can remember lyrics. But you know, I think you know, you go to chorography, you're in the studio, you sing the song and then you sing it so many other times, where you know, maybe acting it's they're different lines all the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's all new words every scene.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it would.
Speaker 3: That would be tough.
Speaker 9: And the writers don't kind of do they let you like veer off the script right, because they're like they're they write the lines like specifically, like that's their line, Like.
Speaker 1: That's their words.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's their words. I don't want you to mess them up.
Speaker 9: Every word has meaning to them and like so in that sense, like you can't just go off the feeling of what you should be saying.
Speaker 7: You have to hit all the words.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's tough, Like, I don't know how you guys do it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's the there was the line where I had to memorize a social Security number as a joke, like hey, Joey McIntyre, I know your social Security number. That that five five five, But they couldn't use a real social Security number, and so they kept changing the numbers on me, and I had to memorize a new a new set of numbers every time, and I'm.
Speaker 7: Like every time, scroll going down every time.
Speaker 9: Use.
Speaker 1: That was hard. Remembering the numbers was hard. But now I think that when you do something as a kid, you're singers, I was, you know, I was an actor, it just becomes like muscle memory, you know. It's like you get back into it and you're just like, Okay, I've been doing this my whole life. It's like riding a bike. I know how to do it, you know, how to do it, and so you're you're the reality TV guy. Now, Yes, you have very successful shows on hg TV. I love Farmhouse, Fixer, Camp Revamp was incredible. Oh my gosh, do you love reality TV? Do you prefer scripted television? Would you ever do scripted television?
Speaker 3: You know, well, when we say reality TV, like I like my reality TV show, I wouldn't want to be one of the Housewives of Boston or Below Deck or something like that.
Speaker 1: Understood same same, But no.
Speaker 3: I think you know we're kind of soft scripted. We we we out have to make our points. What was the question?
Speaker 1: The question the questions would you ever do a scripted show? Did do you prefer reality your type of reality TV? Or do you prefer like the full house experience that you.
Speaker 3: Say you have to go you have to use the dialogue that's given you to you. No, I like I like it the other way where that's just kind of go and say what I want to say. But I mean, I I it's funny enough. I have thought recently that I wouldn't mind doing like a holiday like like like.
Speaker 1: The Christmas movie. Yeah you should. You could be the strapping the strapping lad on a farm somewhere. Oh yeah, JORDI come on.
Speaker 7: Like I like a Hallmark movie.
Speaker 1: That's okay, it's not. You don't have only you only do like four to six pages a day, so it's not as much dialogue we could do. We could totally do this, you guys. Let's do Okay, let's everybody, let's do it. Let's set it up. We'll do Yeah, we can all do it together.
Speaker 2: You could be like, I'll be.
Speaker 1: The lost Yeah, I'll be the lost woman that is mourning her her first love and has lost her way and needs to find her way back to her strapping young man and believe we'll leave.
Speaker 3: Again and tie it in with like like like the new kids. When you were young, you know, you were, we were your prince Charming and you know, and now we're back together like all out. We were in our separate ways and and now here we are.
Speaker 7: It's pitch perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay. You guys have been such a refuge for so many people, like as young, hormonal teenage girls that were struggling with whatever body image or family troubles. You know, you were our happy place. Yeah, and then when you guys came back and restarted the band again, we all grew up and but it was different, so you became that refuge again. Like I went through a painful divorce and depression and anxiety and you guys got me through that, Like you were my refuge. And I'm not alone when I say that that that is the that is Blockheads. You know you are you are that for us, and it's just it's such a wonderful escape from any problems that you're going through.
Speaker 5: It's what is that like?
Speaker 1: Being that? And is there anyone like that for you? Do you have a refuge? What's it is that pressure to be a refuge for other people?
Speaker 7: No, No, it's not, it's not pressure.
Speaker 9: We do hear that a lot, and like I understand it, like everyone has their happy.
Speaker 7: Place, you know, we do hear that a lot, and.
Speaker 9: It's it brings like a lot of meaning to what we do. You know, don't feel pressure, like I think, as long as we try to just be as real as we can and be genuine and uh just have fun like we do.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, stay close.
Speaker 9: I mean that'll that'll that'll keep coming out and people will keep getting that feeling from us, that good feeling.
Speaker 3: Well, that's just the beauty of what we do too, is to bring joy to people. And you know, I love that, you know, I think both my careers are like that. If are renovating a family's house and they're walk in and they're happy, and you know they love it, and you know, walk out on stage and you see, you know, people just smiling and happy. You know, I really think happiness is what keeps me going in both of my my businesses.
Speaker 7: And it really the fans say that to us, but like it's also true, like being on the road is a grind, you know, it's tough.
Speaker 9: Madousness is tough. And then do you know, there's a lot of pressure and everything else. And when we go on stage we get that reception from the fans, it makes us feel good, you know what I mean, Like we feel great going out there doing it.
Speaker 7: We feel like kids. You know, a lot of fans are like, you know, I felt like I was twelve again. That's how we feel.
Speaker 9: We feel when we go on stage, we feel like we're fourteen, fifteen years old, like just having fun and goofing around with each other, you know, and it brings us back too.
Speaker 1: Something about the eighties and nineties that urge for nostalgia. It's very soothing and people want people want these pre social media days. They want the connection the Yeah, just when it was real, we had cassette tapes, you know, like that was that was that was my jam. So yeah, like Pagold Page, I can relate to that because fans tell me a lot that Full House was the family that they wished they had, or Bob Saggett was the dad that they wished they had, And so yeah, there's something very healing about getting to relive your childhood and feel like kids again. But it's it's like healing our inner trauma.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's much bigger than just entertainment. You know, it's it's very meaningful. I agree with you guys with that. You just finished the Magic Summer Tour, which was amazing. I caught three shows in southern California. It's a hot tour outdoors a lot like kudos to you guys for wearing pants and jackets in that.
Speaker 2: You have a lot of new.
Speaker 1: Like new younger fans. We call them baby blockheads. Where have they been? Like, I'm like what people are asking questions just you know, just like did you know that John is gay? And I'm like, where have you been, Like, come on, take a seat, take a seat and do some debriefing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're still in training.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have to earn their wings before they can graduate to like a regular blockhead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's great. You know that our fan base has expanded. You know, the baby blockheads they were, they were in diapers when we first yeah, you know, you know, they probably were hearing new kids music in the background from you know, mom, And now they've grown up and they're kind of like, you know, wait a minute, mom, I want to go see you know what this is all about. So it's been it's been really cool, like, you know, seeing our demographics change. It's it's been awesome.
Speaker 1: It's job security too, right, just birthing new generations of blockheads and yeah, we'll bring our kids and then they'll bring their kids to concerts. So you guys have you have a lot of work ahead of you. I hope that's you rest taking nap.
Speaker 9: It's been amazing to see the change in in the crowd. Like I was saying earlier, like when we first reunited, it seemed like it was girls night out, like get your girlfriends going to the New Kids Show. And I think now everybody's even more grown up now, like everybody has families and it's like, I'm not calling my girlfriend, I'm gonna bring my kids that have been listening to the music all along, and they're like they're into it now. And even there's even older folks that are coming to this show. Yeah, people are bringing their parents. Yeah, And it's so it's.
Speaker 7: Kind of like.
Speaker 9: We've we've went from like a girl's night out event to kind of like a family show, a family event.
Speaker 7: So it's it's wild over the years to see the change.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. So you guys go out into the audience during the song tonight, is it a little scary?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: What is that? You're very brave to do that. So I feel like the fans were a little bit more like excited this year or a little more aggressive with that selfies or you know, wanting to touch you guys, Like what's I don't that was a heat stroke. I don't know how it was going on with the Magic Summer Tour, but yeah, what is that like? Is that is it nerve wracking?
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 1: You feed off the excitement?
Speaker 3: No? I mean I love it. So people can get a little aggressive at terms. But you know, I think I think it's just it's just a way to be involved in. I don't know where I'm going with this, you know. I personally I like when like we walk out and there's somebody that's in the you know, the back row, they get to be that much closer to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: So I love that that aspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cool. It's great. The fans love it. It's they're always like angling, like I want the aisle seats so I can get next to Jordan. It's it's pretty cool. Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, I think it's just another way to connect with the crowd and show that we care about everybody.
Speaker 7: Not just the people in the front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: And uh, it's funny.
Speaker 9: It's weird that like certain areas, certain crowds are more aggressive than others. Really, yeah, like certain parts of the country, Like it's so weird.
Speaker 7: Like I know in Jersey, like it was it.
Speaker 1: Was aggressive, Oh wow, those Jersey people. There's like, yeah, your mind.
Speaker 7: In New Hampshire and it was like how you doing not grabbing and not doing it.
Speaker 9: It's just so it's so wild to see the difference in the country.
Speaker 7: But Yeah, it's it's just it's just a way to show that we you know, we care about everybody. We want to touch everybody.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fans, the fans love it. It's it's great. It's a great thing to witness, even if I'm not on the aisle seat. It's great just to see you guys, to see you guys up there. If you could retire any one song from the set list forever, what would it be. That's a hard one to be honest, be honest.
Speaker 9: Uh hmmm, Tonight the one that was.
Speaker 2: In the crowd.
Speaker 1: Take note, Jordan's Jared, take note.
Speaker 7: What it is about? The song is just goes the same thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then it keeps going and Donnie KEI it's just one more time and so like you guys can get back.
Speaker 2: To the stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah you got it. There's a lot of a lot of dead time you gotta fill there. So okay, okay, so tonight got it?
Speaker 7: Maybe tonight maybe I would.
Speaker 1: Say, would you do you want my opinion? And no offense to like any any of you guys, But yeah, I think cover Girl has been sung enough. Really, Yeah, I think we're okay, just speaking from the Block. Oh wait, seriously, cover girl, did I did I fit?
Speaker 7: You know you do, You're just surprised.
Speaker 1: You're surprised.
Speaker 7: I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I would love if I can make a request. I would love if you could sing one song from the Block that is one of my favorite songs of yours. So that's a request.
Speaker 7: These songs kind of come in and out, So one song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean it's great. Now we're here in Vegas, got the Residency coming up, so we'll you know, be looking for a whole new set list. Yeah, well we will take up take notes.
Speaker 7: Okay, we're going to take take a pole from the fans.
Speaker 1: What can we expect from the residency that we haven't seen before on your previous tours.
Speaker 3: You know, the theater is so huge. It is like one of the biggest stages I've seen as a big old So we have all that space where you know, we have stuff planned out now, but it will tweak it as we do. You know, I don't think there's any surprises we should sharing.
Speaker 1: Definitely keep it close to the best.
Speaker 9: Definitely some things that the fans have never seen before, just because I mean, we try to do that every tour.
Speaker 7: But like production wise, like we're parked.
Speaker 9: In one theater and we can like really do special things because when we're on the road, we have to like put the stage together.
Speaker 7: In the morning, take it down, and then move it to the next city.
Speaker 9: So now we can like really build something and just leave it be so we can make we could do more intricate.
Speaker 7: Things and do cooler things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exciting. Yeah, and you can sleep in real bed, real shower a tour. But you got to share a tour bus, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know to gets the back room. I get the little bunk.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, a little bit. I like the little bunk, like a little I do.
Speaker 9: It doesn't like when you're in the back and you're on a bus and you're going over bumps, you're like bouncing up and down like this in the bank of the bus, and I don't know, the bank of the bus bounces more.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, when you're kind of a night oul, so maybe that doesn't bother you as much.
Speaker 3: Does like I'm actually sleeping in a bed during the residency. Residency is probably like the number one thing for me right now. You know, every time we tour, I can't sleep on the bus, and then even when talks and you fall asleep, you still feel like you're doing this.
Speaker 1: Like it's like, yeah, just like walking off a boat.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like the New Kids cruise, like the cruising as you walk off.
Speaker 3: And you're still still swaying.
Speaker 1: I know the blockheads want me to ask if is a cruise coming up, but I'm not going to ask because like you got but you got exciting things coming up with this residency. Yeah, and I know what you always say to that question. So yeah, we're gonna we're gonna ask that question and just focus on the residence. I have amount of time, amount of time, but I just want to say from my heart, like just thanks for being you, Like you are outstanding performer, but it's your heart. It's your heart that I love and you are like you're my heroes, but you are also just good people that you are so good and you are so good to your fans, like you you know them by name, like you can recognize them in the audience and just connect. You know, you've been so kind to our mutual friend who went through cancer ten years ago, and just like I just love you guys for that. There's so much that happens behind the scenes that Blockhead don't even know about. You're just you're so generous with your time and your love and that doesn't go unnoticed. So thank you for thank you for being on this podcast first of all, but just thanks for being awesome people. I love you guys. I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: All right, hiks, can we get these HIGs on tape?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's like get this on tape.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 8: I just want to say thank you so much to NKOTB, to Jonathan and Jordan Night for coming on the podcast today.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely amazing, and thank.
Speaker 8: You Hyundai for bringing us to Las Vegas for this amazing interview for the iHeart Music Festival.
Speaker 2: I have to say I.
Speaker 8: Have seen I have seen ab excited, but this, I mean this was you really boosted my energy. I have to say, I think you almost boosted enough energy you could probably power the ionic Oh.
Speaker 1: I think I could.
Speaker 8: I think you really could. So get out there and we're charging the car. But thank you guys so much for listening. We had so much fun with this episode. Make sure that you're following us on Instagram at how Rude Podcast. Make sure you can send us an email at howarudpodcast at gmail dot com, and make sure you're liking and subscribing to the podcast wherever you're listening to it so that you can get all the newest episodes as soon as.
Speaker 5: They come out. And remember you guys.
Speaker 8: The world is small, but the NKOTB blockhead audience is huge.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that was terrible.
Speaker 1: The world is small, but AB's heart is full. K see.
Speaker 5: The world is small, I feel small, but Aby's heart is huge.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jody, I love you.
Speaker 1: I love you too,