Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. Iamy host rams this Jah. Most people call me q ward.
Speaker 2: But it's really just because they don't feel like saying Quinn like that. That special pronunciation of that oh gives people a lot of pause and they end up calling me quintin and that's not actually my name, So we just go with Q.
Speaker 1: But I only I won't get into that. Yes, indeed, we're gonna call you Q around here because we'd like to do things the right way. Yeah, another episode for you lined up. We're gonna talk about what we can talk about today, the goings on in black America. Unfortunately, we won't be able to hit everything. We already know that because it's been a busy week. Have you been keeping track of every thank you? I've been trying my best.
Speaker 2: We we often talk to each other about the never ending kind of flood of topics and content that we have for our show, and this week, like every other one before, it did not let us down.
Speaker 1: Well, we do have a few reasons for you to stick around. We are going to be talking about the incident in Michigan where a black real estate agent was showing a house to some potential home buyers and you know, the police surrounded gun. You're on what everybody can cuffs, that sort of thing. So we're going to get into that. Also, we're going to talk about an instance in Ohio where a court sentenced two different women, one black, one white, to two very different sentences for the same crime. More or less.
Speaker 2: We'll break that down for a similar crimes.
Speaker 1: One was very much worse. But you know, you know how that story goes. We're going to get into it into more detail. And we can't wait to talk about the Uncle tom Way Black History fact with DJ Swirrel. We missed out on that last week, so we're going to do it this week. But first let's start to show off the way we like to that is with some ebony excellence. Is that all right with you?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: All I do is win, win, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So you know, out of all the Ebony excellence that we've done that we've celebrated, we never talked about Beyonce and jay Z. That seems impossible, yeah, man, but you know this week, you know they've they've made it into headlines and so we're gonna we're gonna celebrate that Ebony excellence as it turns out, Beyonce revealed to Harper's Bizarre magazine right she was actually on the cover for next month. She revealed that her and jay Z are the new faces of Tiffany and Co. For those that are not familiar or not into jewelry or whatever, Tiffany and Co. Is a very high very much a high end jewelry company and very well known around the world. They advertise in magazines like Harper's Bazaar. This all this stuff is all very fancy. For me, I'm not really into very high brow. Yeah yeah, but for you know this to be a black woman as the face of this company, because this is an old company. It's companies from the early nineteen hundreds, I believe, is when they're the name changed. And that's also part of the reason why the name Tiffany ended up becoming popular in the eighties. Tiffany and Co. Had their role in that very early on in you know, the nineteen hundreds. But I digress. Yeah, jay Z and Beyonce are going to be the faces of that company. So that feels like an accomplishment. And of course they just kind of embody ebony excellence. They don't really I mean, we could do a whole show on Beyonce and jay Z and how you know they've managed to rise above that crabs in the bucket mentality that really persists in the black community in some areas, and you know, really lean into their own individuality and I really love that. But for now, we're just going to give them kudos for making I see the number eighteen billion dollars here, so making a move with a company that's where the eighteen billion dollars. So again, I.
Speaker 2: Wish we could queue Shining from DJ Keller right now featuring Hey, you know what, that'd be a great appropriate there.
Speaker 1: But moving on, I think it's time for us to talk about your home state. There's a city there called Wyoming in Michis. How about that. Didn't know that, but I'll read a bit. This comes from CBS News. So the headline reads, black real estate agent and his clients handcuffed at house viewing after neighbor wrongly reported break in Okay. So it says body camera footage on the August first incident shows police arriving at the home and telling the men to exit single file with their hands in the air. The real estate agent, his client, and his client's son all exit the house individually and walk across the lawn before they are handcuffed by officers. The footage captures the agent, Eric Brown, telling the officers that he's a realtor with Keller William's Realty. The officers told Brown the house had recently been broken into, and a neighbor called police because they believe the men were breaking in. After Brown shows the officers his realtor's license and the key to the home, the officers removed the men's handcuffs and release them. Q. You're from the d You're from the motor I'm I'm. I know that Detroit is probably very different from Wyoming, Michigan, but I've always known Detroit to be a place that was very Maybe afrocentric is a little too strong, but you know, black people don't have to be as concerned as perhaps in like the Deep South. You know, there's a black community established there and people kind of maybe not get along better, but they're understand that they're sharing this environment with folks who don't look like them. So how does this hit you?
Speaker 2: So it's a lot different now when I was growing up, when I was going to school, I am all of my classmates from pre K to my senior year of high school were black, like every one of them. And I don't just mean sitting in the classroom with me. I mean every person that I would see in the hallway was black. The concentration of uh black people that live in Detroit now is not as high as it was when I was a kid, but it's still higher than the medium like it's it's it's a it's a black city, not in the you know, high ninety percent like it was when I was younger, but still a place where black people tend to feel more comfortable because there are a lot of other black people there. Wyoming, Michigan is not Detroit, and you know, shouts out to the mitt in my home state. But no, your your assumptions about Detroit are correct. You know, you know, growing up, you didn't have the high racial tension like you said that you would imagine in places like the Deep South, because your neighbors, your teachers, your police officers or your fireman, your doctor, we're all black people. Your dentists, we're all black people. So yes, you are correct on those points.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing that troubles me a bit is, you know, for this type of this situation actually reminds me of I can't want to make sure I remember his name. It might be Michael Brown, but in any event, it reminds me of a story that happened. It couldn't have been Michael Brown. Who was it. Oh? It always drives me crazy because I have to remember these names of people that I've never met, and the story is often very similar. Anyway, there's a story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The trouble with the trouble with remembering the names is not because you haven't met these people. It's that there's too many names that too, we have too many stories, too many examples to hold proper inventory of all of these people that are being slain and treated unjustly just because they look like you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, But the story will sound familiar. And if the name comes to you, please let me know. So there's a young man. He's jogging through a neighborhood. He ends up exploring an abandoned house, you know, just because it appears to be abandoned actually was a construction site. He walks into the house, some people pull up in a pickup truck. They start yelling at him to leave the house. He starts walking away, or whatever. They end up shooting him in the street and he dies there. It's all on video. Aubrey is a mad Aubrey. That's it. Mike Brown was Ferguson right, but a mode Aubrey. It reminds me of that story because again, a black person in the house. And I mentioned before on the show, and I've had this in I've mentioned this in certain conversations where people say, you know, if the activity looks suspicious, then people have a right to investigate, right, which, if left on its own, seems to be a very sensible argument to make. You know, hey, I don't know these people. They're in this property. You know, the property's abandoned, and it feels a little bit funny. But I think the question I introduced into the narrative oftentimes is why does it feel funny? Why does it feel like it shouldn't be happening? Because if you swap out a just to pick a number, twenty one year old black male for a twenty one year old white female, the entire tone of this person's argument changes. Well, of course you don't call the police on that sort of a person. Well, why not, is it because that type of person doesn't steal. And now are we dealing with your prejudices because your assumption is that this person, because of the color of their skin, is in this house stealing. Could they not be exploring the property the same way that the white woman in your imagination does, you know, And this has always been a very personal thing to me, because once upon a time I built a house. You know, I saved all my little pennies working at my little radio station, and I built a house for my family. And while that house was being built, I was so inspired and so excited and energized by that that I would often go and visit and I would sit on the land and I would just be in my home, my future home, but I would be on my land that I purchased, you know, I would be there and just watch the development of my property. Now where I my house was built, it was way on the outskirts of town, so there wasn't a lot of folks, you know, paying attention. You know, every house was being built, you know, and no one drives all the way out there to steal nothing, I mean house roof tiles or whatever. You know, it didn't really make sense, but I remember being in that space, being inspired and fascinated by the build process. I'm not saying this is what was going through on Od Aubrey's head or anything like that, but I do recognize that when you're able to see something that you don't get to see every day, it might be a little interesting, like a house as it's being built, Like what goes inside of a wall? How does this work? I've never you know, because normally most of us are accustomed to seeing whatever. So this is me perhaps giving a mod the benefit of the doubt. He obviously is no longer alive to tell his own version of the story. But this is the story I believe needs to be told alongside that question, which is the same preconception show up in your mind when the person who's jogging and visiting this house as it's being built is a white female, blond haired, twenty one year old you know whatever. So having been on a construction site before, having been being fascinated by the amount of dry wall that it takes to outfit a house, and the amount of lumber and all these sorts of things, I can easily see myself in that situation. I can easily imagine someone calling the police and me losing my life because or calling whatever authorities they deem appropriate, and me losing my life because I was curious, right, the same as this twenty six year old white or twenty one year old white female, as we imagine, but the tone is different because you know, I'm black, I'm ods black, and these realtors in this story are black. Right, then we have to take into account the police's response. Do the police show up guns drawn, with their weapons trained on these human beings if they are white, we'll call them sixty five year old.
Speaker 2: No, don't call them sixty five. The age of these people they swap out that they're white, don't. You don't have to make them old white people just white.
Speaker 1: I recognize that sometimes age factors into it, because you know, older black folks don't seem to get as much in the way of the the stereotypes. You know. I mean they do, of course, but I mean there's probably an extra ten percent that's added on when you're younger, especially a male, right, you know, just there's these these criminal things that are associated with you based on your age and based on your sex, that are that are just beyond your race by itself.
Speaker 2: But in order for a person's implicit biases to switch the people in the story. And in our example of our example of being pulled over in the Porsche and the example of this realtor showing this house, the people were just white, but they don't have to be exactly the same. But I'm just saying, if the people were just white, it would be different. We don't have to age them to make them more innocent and more sweet, very good two people our age driving that Porsche. The response is different if they're white entirely.
Speaker 1: And so if you imagine that this realtor and the gentleman who was viewing the house and his child were white, do the police show up, guns drawn? Do the police even get called in the first place? And I think that it's there that we find that sort of Karen and I think the other word when it's a male is a Kevin, but that Karen and Kevin behavior where anything black is criminal, anything white, even if I'm not familiar with this person with this face, if it's white, it's right. And if it's black attack, I just coined that I want my royalties. But I think that it's in that space where we can really do a lot.
Speaker 4: Of work.
Speaker 1: With ourselves, you know, and and you know, I'm talking about allies of black people and brown people and Native people and people that are typically associated with, you know, a more negative stereotypes, because once someone had if if a Karen starts crying, you know, then the ready assumption is that she has been wronged and that she needs to be made whole right, and and it's very much unfair to people who have not wronged her, who happen to be nearby and maybe are at odds with her or him if it's a Kevin and you know, you start off that with a disadvantage. What happens is, you know, we saw a couple of weeks ago in a jewelry store or sorry, a makeup store where a woman was clearly wrong, a white woman clearly wrong and mistreating a black woman in the store, and she didn't like the idea of being filmed, so she started crying as she was throwing her temper tantrum. She started crying while she's throwing the tantrum, and then immediately everyone started to look at her as though she had been wronged, even though it was clearly on video that she was the one doing the wrong and they were saying no, get out of here, stop filming her, blah blah blah, this sort of behavior, and that feels very unfair. You know, there's this narrative that exists in the black community that says that you have to be twice as good to be to be to make it half as far, or something like that. You know, there's different ways of saying that same expressing that same concept. And I think that if you take that the premise and you apply it to matters of you know, who's right and wrong or conflict, especially in a public space, you know, you have to be very mindful of like your dignity is the first thing that goes out of the window. It doesn't matter if you're right, wrong or whatever. If you're at odds with someone who is has no melanin, you know, it's very easy for them to manipulate the optics and the dynamics. You know, someone can easily say I'm going to call the police, and then we know that the police show up and serve their interests. Even if they're wrong. They can be dead wrong, but the police come, they show they give them the respect, they listen to the whole story. And then even if they're wrong. You know. The energy that they bring to our side, our side meaning perhaps the more Melanie person in the equation oftentimes feels accusatory and it feels biased against us. And so for a person to make a phone call like this not really weighing the consequences of what the phone call could hold for this for these people, because if the police show up with their guns out, that that's not let's check on this and make sure everything is okay. They're like, they're showing up thinking that the people inside this house either are wanting to kill me or they're wanting to kill someone in the house, like it's a life and death situation. That's why in theory, police are supposed to bring their guns out. Now, we know that police often bring their guns out just because someone's black and close enough, right, But I think that these Karens might know that as well and often use it against us to intimidate us. You know, maybe not everyone wants us to, but this is the way that we see this Karen behavior deployed in society over and over again, and oftentimes it does end up with someone being hurt or being killed. We've seen that plenty of times as well, a lot of the stories that we don't get to talk about today. There's a story about a security guard who executed a man at a gas station. I think it might have been in Georgia. He was playing his music too loud. The black man said, hey, listen, let's talk about this like men. And the officer was afraid of that, or not officer. The security guard was afraid of that. Somehow shot the man in his chest. He died on video and then lost his life. Now, Fortunately for that story, and the reason why we didn't include it in today's episode is because the security guard was arrested on I think it was a murder charge. It might have been a manslaughter charge. But because there's some accountability there, it feels like, uh, it's unfair, but least people are doing something about it. In this instance, this feels like a common occurrence among at least a common story my life, you know, where if I had not been black, but in the same situation or the same predicament, there would have been no need to investigate, There had been no need to escalate it, to involve authorities or anything like that. Or if somebody would have just asked me, everything would have been fine. And because this is such a relatable thing, I believe that most all black and brown peoples can attest to that happening at some point in their life. You know, had I, had I not been black, it might not have happened, or it might not have been so severe. You know, I will see the point that you know, if someone strange is snooping around in an abandoned house, you know, you might call someone to have them investigate. But what I will also say is I don't believe that if these people are white that that call is as likely. But I definitely don't believe the police show up with guns out, ready to end the life. That feels like a very, very black experience. And these are the stories that we need to tell as often as we can to educate not only ourselves as black people, but to educate our brothers and sisters who are allies, our white brothers and sisters, are Asian brothers and sisters, our you know, Native brothers and sisters, our Hispanic brothers and sisters, and on and on and on, so that this doesn't feel like a series of isolated incidents. This is a common experience, and it's it takes these articles like this Yahoo article that we're reading right now, sorry, CBS article that we're reading right now, to really bring that to the forefront so that everyone understands it. Now, I do want to offer a quote from the police department, because you know, we can't just tell one side of the story, and it is that okay right here at the department said a man was previously arrested for unlawful entry into the home on July twenty fourth, and the nine to one to one caller told police this same man had returned when they called the police on August first, which is when these people were handcuffed, and you know all that sort of stuff. Now, Q, as a father, Now we mentioned that the man who was house shopping the home hunter, he was with his child. As a father, how do you think that this impacts the child in that equation.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get there, but I have to back up first. We spoke about a bunch of things that I have to kind of offer some commentary on. We keep using the term abandoned home. Okay, this realtor was showing this house. I'm sure he's not the only realtor that showed that house to one person. Sure, right, So the idea that there was some trespasser at this abandoned property, it even sounds more criminal than a home that had not been sold yet had a realtor and a potential buyer in it. And even the idea of curiosity being punished by murder is crazy. Even if it's not curiosity. Even if he is breaking into this let's call it abandoned home and stealing roof, tile or drywall or paint, murder should not be the outcome gun drawn even right if my neighbor was just mad at me and called the police and told them I broke in, the police should have to do some investigation first before their guns are drawn and they're ready to shoot someone. As far as the sun that's involved in this situation. I remember growing up and being asked what.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be when you grow up?
Speaker 2: And not for me personally or actually for me personally, because my father's brother and my mother's brother were both police officers, but for a kids firemen, police officer, or astronaut. These are the type of answers you give because police are painted as heroes and they are there to protect and serve the community. That's what you think often that narrative is not changed by parents or teachers or movies. Even it's changed by interaction with police officers, and this teenager will forever be traumatized by the time him and his father went looking to purchase a home and were held at gunpoint and handcuffed by police officers simply because they look the way they look. That's it, you know what. And it's not like we don't know these potential outcomes, Like once upon a time, we didn't have all this video, we didn't have all this evidence, so it was just our story. But now when people call that number and they call the police, they know the possible outcomes, so they don't have that plausible deniability anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, well, said my friend. That's the world we live in, unfortunately, but it's getting better. And now watching my mic back like that.
Speaker 5: Strike waters from head borders behind in the.
Speaker 1: Bel If you're just tuning in the civic cipher, I'm your host Ramsay's job.
Speaker 2: They called me Keyward, and sometimes Ramless thinks I don't have this positive outlook on us getting better as he does. Maybe he's right.
Speaker 1: Well, uh, there's only one way for all of us to go. As brothers, and sisters who shared this planet. That's my philosophy. Anyway to that end, stick around, because we are going to be talking about a court that sentences unfairly black and white people. We have a living, breathing example of that. We're also going to talk about Uncle Tom. We're going to educate you on what Uncle Tom means, the term, where it comes from, and who Uncle Tom was. And right now I think we're going to talk about ways to become a better ally. So with that said, let's get into it too. Yes, sir, did you know that August is Black Business Month? I did not know that, I'll be honest. That's something that I learned recently as well. But because we have a radio show, and because we can empower our allies to become better allies, and because it is a part of our responsibility to be reasonably informed and to inform other folks, I think that what we're going to do with this Ba BA segment is we're going to tell everybody to get out there and support black business. It seems like a given, but this month, in particular, there's a lot more surrounding that. You know, a lot more optics, a lot more people paying attention or metrics and so forth. And you know, anytime there's a month dedicated to celebrating and uplifting underserved business owners and dedicated to realizing the importance of black and brown businesses to the local communities and to the national economy, it's certainly worth a mention. Now, supporting these businesses doesn't just mean financially. Of course that is paramount, but you know, if you find black businesses on your social media likes follows kind words, any form of online support that really does go a long way. If fiscally or you know, tapped out. We know it's not as easy for everyone to spend their money if it's not as convenient as like say a Walmart. But also encouraging patronage, encourage your friends to you know, dedicate their financial support and just you know, blow the business up. You know, we recognize that a little bit of support goes a long way, especially in black and brown communities. And so that is how you can become a better ally. And that's our tip for the week. So yeah, moving on, let's talk about what happened in Ohio. So I want to read this because I think that this kind of tells the story better than I could. So this is from Yahoo. So the headline reads, Ohio court sentences black woman to eighteen months in prison the day after giving white woman probation for same crime. Now this is a lot, so bear with me here on August.
Speaker 2: By the way, Sagan, that headline is loaded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's why I need to read it, just to kind of flesh it all out. So on August second, former Schangrin Falls, Ohio village clerk Debbie Bosworth pleaded no contest to twenty two counts of theft and office tampering with records and money laundering after auditors discovered she had embezzled more than two hundred and thirty eight thousand dollars over the span of twenty years. Remember those numbers, two hundred and thirty eight thousand dollars and twenty years. The Coo Yahoga County Prosecutor's office rejected the three year old Bosworth's plea and asked the judge to sentence her to prison, even though she wrote a check for one hundred thousand dollars to repay part of her debt when her scheme was uncovered. But Bobsworth is white, as is Cuyahoga County Common Please Court Judge Holly Gallagher. The very next day assistant Cuyahoga County Kyaz Jesus, I can't say this, Kyahoga.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: C County Prosecutor James Gutierrez, the same assistant district attorney who prosecuted Bosworth, recommended a prison sentence for fifty one year old former school secretary Where's her name? Hopkins? It's her name uh from Maple Heights High School. Although Hopkins appeared before the exact same court, Hopkins judge was a white man, Cuyahoga County Common Please Court Rick Bell. Unlike Bosworth, Gallagher pleaded guilty. Unlike Bosworth, Hopkins was only charged with one count of theft in office. Unlike Bosworth, Hopkins had already found a new job, completed an inpatient program for her gambling addiction, and had promised to replay the money she stole. Neither judge could comment on their sentences, but Cleveland Cleveland activists immediately decried the disparity in the two sentences. The white woman committed more crimes over a longer period of time, she stole more money than the black woman. She had twenty one more charges and cost taxpayers six times more money. She was facing sixty years in prison, while the black woman's maximum sentence was three years. Yet the black woman received more prison time than prosecutors wanted her to spend in jail. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: I spoke about implicit biases earlier, Okay, and just for our listeners, Implicit biases are oftentimes prejudices that we have against different subgroups that are kind of built in and unconscious. They're subconscious prejudices that developed throughout our lives that oftentimes are not front of mind. However, it is possible to have implicit bias and to be overtly racist at the same time.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me what you mean.
Speaker 2: In this case, the white woman not only stole more money, had far more charges, had a much greater maximum sentence. And yes, and in both cases jail time was recommended. Not only does the black woman with lesser charges for less money have more jail time than the white woman, she has jail time the white woman does not. And the headline says probation versus jail time for the same crime. But it would be like me and someone else both being charged for murder, except that person is being accused of killing one person, and I am being accused of killing twenty and I get probation and that person gets life in prison. Now, in this case, it's hard to imagine because you guys that are listening, I'm guessing know that I'm not white, but make it. You know John Doe and his brother Jack, you know, or John and Jack Doe. One's black ones white. There's grossly more reasons right on paper to convict and send to prison one of these people. The opposite person is the one that get that actually got sentenced, with the district attorney suggesting jail time for both. The reasons why are very flagrant, and I'm guessing that's why there's no comment on how the judge is ruled in these cases. There's actually pictures of the women on the story, and if you're looking at the pictures and if you're listening to this show, the reasons why and why not are pretty glaring and pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: So we know that oftentimes race, rather than culpability, shapes outcomes with respect to the criminal justice system. Not only do we know that, but it's documented, well documented that black people overwhelmingly receive harsher sentences for the same crimes when compared to our white brothers and sisters. And you know, a lot of folks U A L. I, like us especially, have grown up with those statistics. We know that to be true, and which is why we have to be work twice as hard to be half as good. This is part of the reason why I think you and I can say that we've never done a drug in our life because we know, you know, if even if I wanted to experiment with that, the consequences for me are very different for the consequences of the rest of the people that I go to high school with. And so there's that, But rarely do we get the same court, the same you know, exact crime, and the day after, you know that day after that doesn't feel as commonplace.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember reading something a while ago, and it was about cocaine versus crack. Now, crack typically is associated with a poorer sort. Cocaine is a purer drug. Crack it takes chemicals and you know, all this sort of stuff to make it into crack, and basically you take I'm not trying to give anyone a lesson, but just so you understand, how this is how this comes about. You take cocaine and then you turn it into lots of crack is my understanding of the way that works. You know, I listen to rap music, so I got a little bit of that. You know, that's that's just how it is. You know, in a lot of really poor black communities, that's a release. You know, that's one of the pillars of the you know, economic system of at least some of the folks who can ascend beyond the poverty level. That's one way of getting out. Although that that or what a big you say. You either sling in crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot, so that unfortunately, there is reality in a lot of places around this country. So that's how I know that. But when you think about it, the sentencing and this was this was part of the article. I right, The sentencing for crimes associated with crack cocaine were twice as harsh as those associated for cocaine because cocaine.
Speaker 2: And to piggyback on what you're saying around this, because you said chemical and made it sound more complicated, imagine the charges for having water being different for the charges for having ice. It's almost that literal, it's a powder form of the substance versus a rock form of the same substance. And don't want people to think that, oh, so there was chemicals added so that made it worse or no, no, no, no no. The poor people have access to ice, the more wealthy people have access to water, and having ice is far more criminal than having water, And so even though the substance is the same.
Speaker 1: Same chemically, So I think what I was saying is there's a chemical process that turns it from a powder foam to it that you probably know. I don't know. Maybe our listeners know, because fortunately we didn't have to grow up too deep in the deep end of all that. But to everyone who has no judgments here, that's not what this place is for. But I think the point we're making is that for the criminal justice system to look at the water and the ice in this analogy and say, well, this one is associated with black people, with poor people, because a lot of times wealth also shapes outcomes rather than culpability poor people. Because there I've known a few white crackheads in my day too, and it affects human beings the same across the board. You know, it doesn't matter what color you are. But you know, crimes associated with this form of this drug are they carry double or often or sometimes even more in the way of punishment versus with this one. It's like the equivalent to a slap on the wrist if that. And we know plenty of stories where if it's the right person and they have the right you know, you know, my dad is such and such, or you know, I come from this family or whatever, and I was just having a good time with my friends. It's really nothing. It's a small amount. Okay, well, you're not supposed to have this going about your business. And then you know, I know stories personally of people actually police officers actually planting evidence on people that granted the stories were from my childhood, but you know, I very much believe them to be true because you know, that's I mean, I have every reason to trust you know, people aren't related to and no, I've never really been given a reason to trust the police. And you know, to piggyback off of what we said earlier in the show, you know, the police in my life have always positioned themselves more often as the bad guys than the good guys. And I recognized in a much broader sense that you know, that's who you turn to, not who I personally turn to, but that's who society turns to and there needs to be a resolution to some harm that's taking place or whatever. But you know, they would probably be fourth or fifth on the list of folks that I would call personally, but just kind of knowing that it kind of feels like the odds are stacked against dust at every conceivable point. You know that even if you end up on the wrong side of the law, on the wrong side of the criminal justice system, there's a million reasons for that, you know, potentially, you know, for any any one person, some people I will be the first to admit they're just bad people. Bad people come in all colors. Some people are just willing to ignore the rules in place in a society and they want the shortcut. I will see that as well. But some people recognize that their options are limited or otherwise they're groomed in the lifestyle because of circumstances, invisible circumstances that exist in a country and in a government and so forth around them that compel them in a in a given direction. And I recognize that a lot and So this is why I tend to be pretty empathetic with people, even if they do end up on the wrong side of the law, because I understand that oftentimes there are stories that you know, no one is born and says, you know what I want to do when I grow up, I want to be a criminal, and I want to you know, I want to be at odds with the way the world works, you know, and the way you know, most people are. You know, and I'm sure if you asked anyone if they could do what they're doing, if they could earn what they needed to earn and do something that's a little bit less dangerous, that most folks would say absolutely. I don't think people wake up and like, yeah, lis'sen another day of getting out here and doing all this crazy stuff. With that said, to know that, you know, oftentimes people will end up on, you know, the wrong side of the criminal justice system, you would think that, you know what, I might be able to get in front of a judge and say, you know, I was born in this environment. I had to take care of my family, I had to do what I had to do. This just seemed like a way to introduce some mobility. This wasn't a long term thing for me. Blah blah blah. You know, I'll be able to say that in front of a judge, another human being who hopefully has a bit of compassion and will understand that this is not me, This is just what I did at that time. Right, There's a lot of people of all colors who have that story in their life. Some people get caught and they have to account for it, and some people don't. I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect. You know, it's victimless crime, and it was a million years ago. But you know, there's everybody that has those sorts of stories in their life. Fortunately I never had to talk about that in front of a judge, but at this age in my life, I recognize it if I did. You know, two things might count against me. One the fact that I have a little bit more melanin in my body and so that tends to weigh on the judge's decision. But also the nature of the crime, which in this case or the example we're using, has to do with you know, ice and water or cocaine versus crack, and that the sentencing criteria is vastly different for a person who has been in the possession of crack cocaine, because it's typically associated with black people and poor people, and that feels very unfair. So knowing that you already know that going into a courtroom, you're at a bit of a disadvantage. But rarely, as I stated before, do we have an opportunity to see the same crime. And really the only difference is that one person is white and one person is black. And as you stated, one person who did way worse stuff gets probation, and of course the black person gets prison time for the same And you know, I want to read that part again where she says the where did it go? She says that the white woman committed more crimes over a longer period of time, she stole more money, she had twenty one more charges and cost taxpayer six times more money. And then the black woman she found a new job, completed an inpatient programming for her gambling addition, and made a promise to pay the money that she stole. So all of those things feel like and she still got sentenced to prison time with a promise to repay a new job. She's like, I've turned over a new leaf. While you're going to prison. Nobody gets away scot free, which is fair. I'm not saying that the black woman shouldn't have been sentenced if she did the crime. You know, there should be consequences for that. I'll be the first to admit that. But what we're seeing is that the criminal justice system really, you really do have an advantage when you are less melanated. You know, people talk about white privilege, people talk about you know, you know, people think a lot of these things are imagined, like we're just making this stuff up, and you know, it's it's up to us, and it's up to shows like Civic Cipher to point out the fact that these things are not imaginary. These things are very real. Not only is their data, we have literally a real world example of it happening. You can go to Yahoo and type in the story and it'll come up and you can read it for yourself.
Speaker 2: And then once again that that headline and us we keep saying same crime. It's not Yeah, the person that's not going to prison did way more wrong, way more.
Speaker 1: And you know, I want to I want to read this quote because I think this kind of helps tell a slightly different part of the story. So the quote is. I think it reinforces the lack of trust in the justice system, said Danielle Signor, president of Cleveland's NAACP chapter. The quote these types of things are the way the system was designed, and they will continue to happen if we don't have large scale reform end quote. And I think that when she talks about the lack of trust in the system, that feels very personal to me. I've shared before on the show that I have a brother, my brother in brief, my brother a long time ago. He got the new Escalade when it came out with the big square headlights. So this is two thousand and she would I don't even know in two thousand and four, there was three two and four somewhere in there. We're in there. So he had a new truck in California. And what happens when you in California is there's a lot of carjackings. You know, people that live outside of California may not know that. Our folks in San Diego, I'm sure they know that very well. So he ended up, as his his constitutional right, procuring a weapon to protect himself. Right now, what happens is a lot of times at that point, people start thinking, Okay, black man, gun criminal, right, this is my brother. Promise he's not a criminal. We were both raised by the same man, the same minister. You know, he just has a little bit more he's a little bit more comfortable with protecting himself with guns, and I just can't find that in me. Anyway. One night, he's at an apartment complex and some folks were messing with his girlfriend now his wife, and he took his gun out, shot it in the air a couple of times. It's on video right, shooting in the air. He ended up getting arrested for that. They tried him for attempted murder, and they gave him a plea deal, and he took the plea deal because it was a few years less than his sentence could have been, because somehow they decided that they weren't able to introduce that tape to the court as evidence. It felt very deliberate, and we lost a deck eight and a half or however long it was of my brother's life because of that. And it doesn't feel like the same thing would have happened had my brother not been a black man. That it wasn't attempted murder. He was shooting in the air, the guys ran off, no one was hurt. There was literally no bloodshed, no harm, had nothing like that. And so that's the criminal justice system that I know that i've that has affected my family. This story checks out with the statistics that I know to be true that the criminal justice system, you know, unfairly treats black and brown folks. And now you're the listener, if you did not know that before, hopefully you have a little bit of insight into what that must be like. Again, not saying the black woman should not have been sentenced.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: That white privilege really does stick out right there in that example. Moving on, let's take it back one time. If you d DJ swirl, he wouldn't sir?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: This week the way black history fact was on deck last week, but as you said, we didn't make it to it. But we were talking about Uncle Tom. And most people have heard or use the term Uncle Tom when we referred to as sellout. But did you know the inference is totally wrong. The real Uncle Tom. Josiah Henson was a hero and abolitionist who helped slaves escape, among other great things. Born June fifteenth, seventeen eighty nine, he was an American laborer and clergyman who escaped slavery in eighteen thirty and found refuge in Canada, where he became the driving force behind the Dawn Settlement, a model community for former slaves. He was also involved in the Underground Railroad and has served as a model for the title character in Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin. In Canada, Henson became a leader among the growing number of fugitive slaves the Dawn Settlement. Its goal was to employ and educate former slaves, and a focal point of the settlement was the British American Institute, an industrial school. To secure financial backing for the community, Henson made a number of trips to the United States. In Great Britain, in eighteen fifty one, he was granted a personal audience with Queen Victoria. Henson's autobiography, The Life of Josiah Henson, was published in eighteen forty nine. It was subsequently reprinted under a variety of titles. Stowe cited the work among her sources for Uncle Tom's Cabin. On what would have been his hundredth birthday in nineteen eighty three, Henson became the first black person to be featured on a Canadian post stamp, and that comes from Britannica dot Com.
Speaker 1: Uncle Tom, who knew that? I mean really, I mean shout out to Beyonce and jay Z. Those were our Ebony Excellence picks for the week. But man, we could have put Uncle Tom in there. How funny would that have sounded?
Speaker 2: Initially?
Speaker 1: I think it would have got a chuckle, But.
Speaker 2: All of us are now more enlightened having heard the story of Uncle Tom.
Speaker 1: So for those who are uninitiated, I think Dave Chappelle said it best. Uncle Tom is a serious accusation in the black community. I think that's a direct quote from him, and he is not lying about that. Uncle Tom, for those that don't know, means a black person who is not about black people or a black agenda. Think of it like if you saw the movie Django Unchained with Jamie Fox and sam Samuel L. Jackson and Leo DiCaprio, which is a movie I recommend it's a dope movie. The Uncle Tom character would be Samuel L. Jackson's character right correct, And for those who haven't seen the movie, Samuel L. Jackson's character in the movie he serves the interests of the master of a slave plantation, of a cotton plantation where slaves are I guess employed is not the right word, but slaves are held. He's the person where whatever the master says he does, he's the most reliable, the most trustworthy to the master, and he would sell out the black slaves in a heartbeat. In fact, he doesn't even identify himself as a slave because he has a slightly more the word elevated position, that's it perfect than the rest of them. And it's interesting how that works in human psychology, because that's something that's true. We see that in the Republican Party. You know, as long as I'm doing a little bit better than them, I'll keep voting this way, you know, even if everything about it is wrong, you know, as long as I can see this one thing that I'm doing a little bit better than they are, you know. And so that's I think that's a function of human psychology. But in the black community, this Uncle Tom accusation means that you are not about your people, that you are not happy to be who you are, that you know, whatever, And it's very easy to brush up against it as a black person because you know, we share the world with our white brothers and sisters and and everyone. We share the world with everyone. We share the plan with animals and trees and you know everything else too. And because as a whole, black people have been very much harmed, not just in America but all over the world by white interests, by corporate interests. You know, we've we've been at the really at the tail end of you know, consideration of how what are the human implications and human costs of folks's actions or decisions or inactions or whatever. Oftentimes black people get the worst of it. Black people are particularly sensitive to perhaps other black people also taking away from them or profiting from them in a way that is not reciprocal or otherwise serving the interest of quote unquote the white massa. And so this is something that we tend to try to avoid. We try to stay away from it. You know, it affects you know, of course, our work life, it affects you know, what doesn't affect it. But it is something that black folks sometimes have to consider with romantic relationships. You know, if you're dating someone outside of your race, you know, that's something that you have to come up with you know, if you're a black person and you know you happen to fall in love with someone who doesn't look like you, you know there's something to be said about that as well. And so white folks aren't the only folks who have to be mindful of how hurt black people are. Black people also have to be mindful of how hurt black people are and how certain actions and things affect or look to the black community. And one of the things that we try to avoid when, you know, plotting our course through life is does this make me look like an Uncle Tom and holding a space like we do? You know, we particularly have to be sensitive to that because you know, there are some people who really want this show to be a very fiery show where we it's like in us versus them, And of course we've all decided that this show cannot be that it will never be that that's inconsistent with who we are as men. And we choose to see the world as though we share this planet with our brothers and sisters. And you know, our brothers and sisters don't look like us, They don't have the same experience as us, And as we have an opportunity to educate them, then we should and hopefully, you know, we'll grow together in our relationship with each other and find out a way to really make the most of our time together on this planet. So yeah, uncle.
Speaker 3: Tom, I'm better for knowing that story, even though I don't think it's going to change the context and the meaning of people using that term moving forward.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. I just I knew you didn't want to say anything, so I just left you off.
Speaker 2: What I was supposed to say. I don't know why you did that. No, no, No, I knew.
Speaker 1: I knew.
Speaker 2: I thought you might have won. It wasn't that I didn't want to say anything. I just didn't know that there was anything more to say.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair. That's fair anyway. I think that'll do it for us today on Civic Cipher. So once again, I'm your host rams this Jah they call me q Ward show produced by a producer DJ Swirl, And Oh, I did want to mention that there's a couple of things that we didn't get to this week that we want to get to next week, not the least of which is the I want to really get into the story where the the critical race theory teachings now the teachers are being fined, and then there's another story about the police now able to sue protesters, but we'll get into that next week. Until then, please plug in with the show. We are on the internet hit civiccipher dot com or on all social media media at Civic Cipher and of course you can download this in all previous episodes at civic scipher dot com. And if you can make a donation, it really helps the show grow. And I think that'll do it for us. All till next week, y'all, please.
Speaker 4: Thank Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like yo, we had the li these presence of fabulous ladies showing you where bomb travel List will speak to you from sunlight to move, bustling on stage like gonna fight.
Speaker 1: Move my mic back. You're like that journal List, journal List too.
Speaker 5: We can strike back borders with waters from head, borders behind in the beline side step and the borders the press passage.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it happens. The streets love pop to them from the music and.
Speaker 5: Wrapping the street compan to slash. We expando Ben to fight this lending