Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. Two days until Penn State and Notre Dame. We'll check in with former New England Patriot Devin mccordy. He'll join us coming up little bit. He's an analysts for Football Night in America. We have five teams with head coaching openings, maybe one or two more vacancies.
Speaker 3: I go back to.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer who joined us. This is a few weeks back, and he said we could have eight to ten openings and I was like that many and it might turn out to be close to eight. All said and done, eight seven, seven to three. DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com Twitter handle, a DP show Play of the day, stat of the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: You're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner. Thank you for downloading the app. We say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country. First Hour brought to you by tyrak dot com. Tyra is the way tire buying should be. The easy to use tire Decision GUD. You see the full lineup of Continental Tires special offers, free roade, hazard protection, mobile tire installation, Tire rec dot Com the way tire buying should be and stat of the Day is always brought to you by Penini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. The Packers lost Christian Watson for the playoffs. Now I'm watching this game, and I'm watching this in real time, and you can tell when somebody gets hurt and they know they're hurt, and it's not just hey, I got banged up, it's this is serious. And you solved his reaction and then I knew. I said, he probably tours ACL and that's what it turned out to be. This is one of those Wow to me, people aren't talking about the Packers. The Packers have a good defense, they can run. You got Jordan Love. Now you lose watching that's a big loss, big loss, and it's.
Speaker 3: Probably being underplayed here.
Speaker 2: But I think everybody's been focused, certainly on the Lions, and I'm looking at point spreads. So DraftKings sent me some point spreads. These are hypothetical matchups. The Vikings would get three and a half against the Lions. In a rematch, the Rams would get six and a half against the Lions. The Packers would get three and a half against the Lions, the Ravens would get one against the Bills, the Vikings would get four against the Eagles, Chargers four and a half against the Chiefs, Texans get seven against the Chiefs, and the Buccaneers would get six and a half if they face the Eagles. The Eagles situation is also something interesting. This is being under sold as well, and that's Jalen Hurts. He's been in concussion protocol and that's why I was all for sake one Barklay not playing in that last game. What I'd like to see him break the record. Sure, but you have to have a bigger goal than an individual goal. And you can't say, well, you can get hurt in it every game. You can't get hurt in the game you don't play in. I want to make sure my quarterback's in concussion protocol. Is he going to be available to play? I don't know that. But here's Nick Siriani being very evasive about the health of his quarterback.
Speaker 1: As you put the game plan together, is it with the intention of jaelling is the starting quarterback this weekend?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I have no new information for you guys, like I said yesterday, progressing through the protocol.
Speaker 5: Are you able to say if he's in the building today?
Speaker 3: I got no new info for you guys here today. I'm sorry, Wait, you can't confirm he's in the building?
Speaker 2: Nikes, where's shifty when you need him somebody outside spying on a grassy knoll to see if it's that hurts?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: See, what is the huge benefit to holding back that bombshell information unless he's.
Speaker 2: Not in the building and that he's at a hospital or wherever you go for concussion protocol. I think what Nick has done is he's made it worse. I can't even tell you if he's in the building or not now all of a sudden, I'm really curious. But this is Nick Siriani who doesn't handle the media very well. And in this situation, you know, if he's there, there's nothing wrong with saying that he's not here today.
Speaker 3: We expect him tomorrow. Like you can move around these things.
Speaker 2: Sometimes these coaches try not to tell you something while in the process really telling you something. All right, poll question to start out first down? Or is going to be what seeden most attractive opening?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 6: Wow, Bear's Jaguars, Jets, Patriots sings.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, I had a source say, hey, keep an eye out on the Colts Monday.
Speaker 3: They may be blowing this thing up. Well they didn't.
Speaker 2: They brought back their coach and GM, but they fired their defensive coordinator, Gus Bradley. I don't know if that's really detonating anything here, but somebody had to pay the price. So Gus Bradley was fired with the Colts. But the Jalen Hurt situation that bears watching here practice coming up tomorrow will certainly get a better indication if Kenny Pickett is going to be the answer. You don't like the question if you're a Philadelphia Egle fan. North Dakota State they won the FCS title. The Bison they win again. I think that's ten national championships, and we were thinking, if you win the national championship in FCS, can we schedule something where you get to play the team that wins the national championship.
Speaker 3: Let's say Ohio State.
Speaker 2: Wins and Week zero you get North Dakota State against Ohio State. Now it's not going to be on a neutral site because Ohio State wouldn't do that. But you get North Dakota State, big moment. Now, granted, the team that won the national championship won't be the team that takes the field next year. That could be a problem, but that'd be nice because I'm all for legation. I think that would be awesome if we eventually get to my playoff picture, my landscape for college football, which maybe the top fifty schools, maybe sixty, split them up in divisions, and you have an NFL style model.
Speaker 3: But could you have that last.
Speaker 2: Day, that last game, those last games where they mean something where you better win or you're going to FCS or if you win, you're going up to FBS, you get to play, and the money is going to be a lot more. I think it would be fun to watch that. I don't know how practical it is, but I think if you had that, just like with the Premier League, like sometimes you'll have those last days where you're like, uh, oh score differential, gold differential, Oh my goodness, we're in trouble.
Speaker 3: Now you're going to be relegated. No, not the R word, You're relegated.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven to three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handling DP show operator Tyler sitting by Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: Based off that North Dakota State would be promoted to maybe the Big twelve, and unfortunately this year Kent State would drop down to FCS Kent State one.
Speaker 2: No, I think Kent State probably should be relegated, even though there's no relegation. They lost every game, but I think over thirty points like they weren't even they like winning was a rumor for them.
Speaker 3: Maybe not even a rumor for that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see a couple other things here, some facts that you might be interested in. Bo Nicks is twenty four years, three hundred and twenty two days, and that will be on Sunday. That's how old he will be, the second oldest rookie quarterback to start an NFL playing playoff game. I could give you a hundred gain, I'd give you a thousand guesses. You aren't going to guess the oldest rookie to start a playoff game in NFL history. It did happen in twenty twenty two. If if that's a hint for you, I'll give you his college, which would probably give it away. I believe he played at Kansas State, and he takers here not Michael Bishop. That was Marvin you were going, there were Skuyler, Thompson.
Speaker 3: Paul Tooley.
Speaker 7: Just like stat of the Day, Sat of the day, that passed out of the day, stat of the day, here comes that what stand.
Speaker 3: Out of the day? All right?
Speaker 2: So the best opening West Devin mccordy, about that, with the openings that we had, you had Robert Kraft. I can't say this was a press conference. It was just he addressed the media yesterday and he kind of fell on the sword where he fired drowd Mail after one year, this.
Speaker 5: Whole situation is on me.
Speaker 8: I feel terrible for Girard because I put him in an untenable situation. It was very hard because the personal relationship I feel for Girard and the human being he is, and I felt guilty I put him in that position.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes you did.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody's a genius when you got Belichick and Brady, and then when you only have one, not everybody's a genius, including the genius. And then when you don't have either, then it falls back to who's running this team. And the Crafts have been running this team, not Bill Belichick the last five years and maybe longer Okay, you have Gerrod Mayo, who is a coach in waiting. Now Belichick didn't know apparently that they had already put this in his contract that he was going to be the coach in waiting. That's the first problem. You have to let Bill know because and Bill may say, hey, then I don't want to be around and you may have to eat that one. But you can't do that to Belichick. Where you go, we're going to put this in the language in your contract, you're the coach in waiting, and then tell me that after five years of being the coach in waiting, he's not ready to be the coach after waiting five years.
Speaker 3: See, that's embarrassing. Now.
Speaker 2: I think what this came down to was not necessarily the performance on the field as much as maybe handling yourself as a head coach. And I think Drodmeyo failed with those responsibilities because I think he wanted to be the antithesis of Bill Belichick. When he went to a press conference, he was actually going to say something. Maybe he was a little more confrontational with his players, not that far removed from being a player himself, and I don't think he handled himself the way maybe the Crafts wanted him to handle himself as a head coach. I don't know what they expected because you didn't spend any money. You have a quarterback, you kind of have a running back. You were supposed to have a really good defense. The last part of last season. You were one of the better defenses in the NFL. Now you're going to bring in who Brian Flores, You're going to bring in Mike Rabel, Ben Johnson. But I don't know if you make that move unless you know, like, what if they whiff on Vrabel Ben Johnson.
Speaker 3: Let's say Brian Flores the defensive coordinator with the Vikings.
Speaker 2: Now, what are you going to bring in another inexperienced head coaching candidate, Like you can't whiff Like they have to get their person, They have to get Mike Rabel.
Speaker 3: It feels like Ben Johnson. We don't know.
Speaker 2: As I've said many many times, not every coordinator should be a head coach. Ben Johnson has done a wonderful job in Detroit.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Once again, you.
Speaker 2: Can be great at your job, but there are other jobs that go with that. How do you handle prescott differences? It's really important, is Pete Carroll going to get a shot. It feels like there's some momentum that maybe he gets a shot. I don't know why. Now he's been available in the last couple of years. It's one of those that it's like, you know, you find out that some girls available and you didn't know she was available, and you're like, well, what happened? I didn't know that Pam Anderson's available? Well maybe Pete Carroll is the Pam Anderson of the NFL. Nice you know he's available, Okay? And the Patriots got cap room. They have I think over one hundred million dollars. Why weren't they spending that before? If you're not going to spend it now, that'd be my first question. If I'm going to be Mike Brabel and I walk in and go, why do we have a hundred million dollars that we didn't spend? Can we can we buy a receiver? Can we can we buy offensive line? Can we buy a running back? Could we have gotten Saquon Barkley?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You just asked questions where why are you stockpiling all this money? Are we going to spend this money now? I'm interestooed in the job. If not, why would you take that job? Yes, you got Drake May, but you need more than Drake May. You're gonna win four or five six games. Okay, that's not the Patriot The Patriot way is done. Okay, the Patriot way was Belichick and Brady. Let's be honest here, it's not the Crafts. It's Belichick and Brady. Because once the emperor has no clothes, it's pretty freaking cold. And that's what you have going on there. How did it get here? And it happened right before our very eyes? Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 4: That being said, even though it was an awkward day for the Patriots, could it have been the right decision? Because you have cap space and a quarter of that people like on a rookie deal. It's one of the more attractive jobs financially, not so much talent wise, but financially you have an open slate, Like if you're a new GM, which I'll actually have a GM or a coach. It seems like a blank slate.
Speaker 2: But I have to know if they're spending money, how involved are the Crafts. That's what I want to know. They got more involved, and I think to the detriment of the team.
Speaker 3: You didn't spend any money.
Speaker 2: How do you bring in a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback and don't surround them. This goes back to what happened with Andrew Luck. Every team should be reminded of that. If you're going to bring in a rookie quarterback, get an offensive line, give them a couple of skilled position players. If not, then don't use the pick on a quarterback if you're not going to protect him, you know, like Bryce Young, Hey Bryce, go out there and be a savior. That's not the kind of quarterback he is. Hey Bryce, sorry, you got to run for your life. Hey Bryce, you suck.
Speaker 3: Come on over.
Speaker 2: Andy Dalton's going You didn't help him protect him, and New England didn't do that with Drake Man and as a result, you get rid of Gerrod Mayo. And maybe Mayo wasn't the right guy to begin with. Maybe they made a mistake to put in the coach in waiting. But now you got to get Mike Rabel. His Rabel gives you a culture. And I know that's one of those weird words, but Dan Campbell created a culture in Detroit like certain coaches create a culture.
Speaker 3: Rex Ryan, you know.
Speaker 2: For the the good and the bad of all of that. He had a culture with the Jet. He's still trying to bank in that culture, saying I'm the best guy for the job. We're not going to let it be a country club atmosphere for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: I go, okay, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: Any chance of rabel is the wrong choice because he reminds everyone of Belichick. He'll probably walk in and say I'm gonna do this like it was done five years ago. Free agents didn't want to go play there, especially towards the end. I don't know if Mike Ray will be attractive to free agents with Atta Kapram.
Speaker 2: Players didn't want to play for Belichick. They wanted to play for Belichick and Brady because that meant you were going to get a chance to play in a Super Bowl, plain and simple. Like the last four years, did you hear players go, you know what, before I retire, I want to play for the greatest coach of all time. No, they said, even defensive players, Hey, I'll put up with this, but I want to go and play with Brady. I got a chance, Chris Long one year to play for you play in a Super Bowl and he won one. They weren't going to play for the greatest coach in history. They wanted to play for the greatest coach with the greatest quarterback. The Patriot Way. Devin mccordy was part of that Patriot Way. He'll join his coming up phone calls always welcome. Got our poll question here the best head coaching vacancy right now? Why are the Bears asking permission to talk to Mike McCarthy. Well, we'll talk about that coming up back after this Dan Patrick shit.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Montana State lost the FCS title game last night. They will open up the season against Oregon. How about that, we were talking about the winner. That'd be great if the winner of North Dakota State got to play the winner of the FBS Ohio State, And granted it would be in Columbus, but that's okay. Also, let me clarify with Kent State. They went zero to twelve. They lost by an average of thirty points per game, but they did have two games where they lost one by two points, won by six points, but they did have consecutive losses to Tennessee and Penn State by combined one hundred and twenty seven to nothing.
Speaker 10: Statup to day statup to day status day status to day, the status to day status day status day statue.
Speaker 2: He is Devin mccordy, NBC Football Night in America studio analyst. He was on site with the Sunday Night Crew vikings and the lines worst loss you ever had in college was what.
Speaker 5: My freshman year we lost to Louisville fifty five to like five. We had a safety that was sprinkled in there. It was something like that.
Speaker 3: What's that feel like?
Speaker 5: You hear the song that they play on kickoff a lot throughout the game, and I still remember it was a young jeezy song and they would always play Boom Boom clatt And we heard that a lot that night. So you used to hearing that song when you get blown out.
Speaker 3: What was the atmosphere like in Detroit?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: It was awesome. You know, I think even in pregame warmost of each kind of wave of guys that come out, you know, first the returners come out, the crowd goes and then the skill positions, and then ultimately Jared Golf came out and they went nuts. And what I love though, is every time somebody from the Vikings came out, it was just NonStop booze, and I think like you could feel it before the game started up, the impact that crowd was going to have in the game.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I was curious about. That they have home field advantage throughout in the NFC, But how much of an advantage is it to Detroit. Is there any other place that compares like Kansas City that home field advantage, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Kansas City. I think Buffalo like those teams that, for one, your fan base is intense, they're loud. But I think they get an advantage too of playing in the cold depending on who comes there, like we saw last year when Miami had to go to Kansas City and playing that historically cold game, but you don't have a shot. And I think Detroit's advantage is being in that dome. That dome gets loud and it gets rocking, and those people are intense. I just talked to Mike Florial on Pro Football Talk on the podcast they went and did their podcast Monday morning, him and Chris Simps. They still could smell the beer like those people had a great time in there. So it's a tough place to play.
Speaker 2: What's it like to play in a quiet stadium.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you hear all the checks. You know, you think about, you know, defenses, and you know, honestly, it's fun for defense when you're out there and you can hear with the offense checks and you can hear yourselves usually like if you're at home and those kind of big time matchups in the crowds going crazy making it hard for the offense. You have to remember, as a defense, you got to get used to making your calls and stuff with that noise. But when you're out there and it's silent, the energy's tough sometimes, but you get the advantage of really hearing everything the offense is trying to check and get to.
Speaker 2: I guess there's usually one surprise firing every cycle. I thought Gerrod Mayo was a surprise. I don't know how you felt, but one and done in New England. Your reaction, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Got the opportunity to go up to the press conference, and I remember being in that moment of how special it was a guy I got an opportunity to play with a guy that I think for that franchise as the number ten pick, came in and did so many things and ultimately was a great leader for the organization. So when when he was named head coach, I was so excited. I thought he would get an opportunity to really grow into that role. Not much experience in coaching overall, but I thought he would get the opportunity to grow and he didn't. And for me, it was a reminder of this league of I don't care how awesome the story is, the personal relationships and all that. When you get in and you're a head coach, they're looking for a certain thing. They're looking for wins, they're looking for the alignment and what the vision looks like. And ultimately, the Crafts felt like it wasn't there and they moved on from Jiraw. But you know, I think down the end it didn't. It wasn't surprising. But if I think back to the beginning, no way I thought that it would even be a thought of him being one and done as a head coach.
Speaker 2: But how can he be the coaching waiting for five years but not be ready for this moment. According to Robert Kraft.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean you look at that press conferences and he said, I think he has all the skills to be a great head coach someday. And that to me was why you named him head coaches. You thought somebody else would get to take advantage of that, and they only give him one year. I think it's really tough, you know, And I think back to Jimmy Johnson spoke to our team my rookie year and he said, the NFL is not about fair. You're gonna get opportunity and that's all you can ask for. And you know, honestly, it wasn't fair for Draw Mayo to think he would have everything button up in year one. But that's the reality of the NFL.
Speaker 2: Devin mccordy Football Night in America Analyst and wild Card Weekend NBC and Peacock will bring you the Commanders at the Buccaneers. Better season turned in by Jaden Daniels or Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think you gotta go Jaden Daiels just because a little bit of what Baker's doing was expected, you know. I think Baker in Tampa has been a beautiful fit and he showed that he can be you know one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Jade and Dais took over a Washington team that we thought, even with him, they would struggle this year, and you look up and they're in the playoffs. They're going to be in the playoffs playing an opportunity advance that just wasn't expecting. And the truth is it's all because of Jayden Daniels as their best player.
Speaker 2: The Eagles situation is interesting and I think it's being under sold. And that is Jalen Hurts and concussion protocol. Here have you ever been in concussion protocol?
Speaker 5: Actually, my first time being a concussion protocol, I don't want to say it was the same, but it was similar into what Jalen Hurst is going through of and the process was a little different. But I had passed certain tests so I was able to practice, but I didn't pass a test yet to be able to have contact, so I had got a concussion missed the last week of the season. Then we had to playoff bye week, so I didn't practice the last week of the season, but the playoff bye week, I was cleared to be able to practice, but still was non contacting. The Ultimately to get out of protocol. I had to get an MRI of my brain to be fully out of the concussion protocol. So it was a whole process, and more of a process than normal when we think about concussion protocol. So I felt a little bit of what he's going through.
Speaker 2: Now, if you were Mike McCarthy and you had an opportunity to leave the Cowboys, let's say the Bears job is legitimate, you know, he's going to be a free agent, and I don't know if there's any rush for Jerry to, you know, sign him.
Speaker 3: They could have done this.
Speaker 2: He's been a lame duck coach, but it's hard to pass on being the Cowboys head coach. But sometimes you want to get out from underneath Jerry Jones and that that star.
Speaker 5: That Cowboys head coaching job. It's hard to turn down until you've been in it for five years. And I think Mike McCarthy knows exactly what it feels like and what it is to be in that job. So I think it'll be telling if he does want to go on these interviews that he is seeking to see what it feels like and what it could look like somewhere else. And the Bears, they had to see it firsthand when he was coaching the Green Bay Packers, So there might be a little bit of an infatuation of Mike McCarthy and what he was able to do, and he might want some breathe and room from being on that kind of soap opera box that the Cowboys give you every year you're in that position.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a road team, at least one road team win this weekend with these games. Give me the surprise this weekend, the surprise, I would say.
Speaker 5: And I know it's a little harder because of Jordan Love's injury and Christian Watson being done, but I just think the Green Bay Packers they're one of those teams that are a little inconsistent. You don't always know what you're gonna get. But if they can get hot and they can get going, they have a Jeff Afleet or defensive coordinator, has different kind of looks and disguises that they can give you. They're gonna play Eagles team that comes off a week where they're resting, so they might be a little bit of a slow start getting back into the field of things that I think green Bay could surprise Philadelphia. I think Philadelphia is a better team and should win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay could get it going at Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Pittsburgh has problems with Baltimore.
Speaker 5: Why, I just ultimately, I think Baltimore is a better football team. I think we fell in love with what Russ was able to do took over Pittsburgh that went on a little winning streak. But I think what we saw what Baltimore is able to do over these last few weeks, that's their team and I think they're playing their best ball right now. And I think Pittsburgh they're just not the inabilities of the offense to get the ball down the field consistently, to be able to pick up short gains and drive and have ten to twelve play drives, like that's not what they do well. So when you're relied on the deep ball non stop, and if Pickens doesn't come out and have a big game, then that just leaves you so handicap that I think Baltimore has so much firepower that you can't really play that way. But I will say these two teams, they battle, and each time they play, it seems like the game goes a different way. So it's a scary game a little bit for Baltimore playing a division opponent in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What if Bill Belichick called you and said, would you join me on my staff at North Carolina?
Speaker 5: I would ultimately think about it, and I would second I would think about my wife killing me, so I would have to I would have to say, Bill, I love you, respect you so much, but coaching is just not going to be about future.
Speaker 2: Okay, what advice would you give if Bill Belichick said, come down and talk to my players.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to be in the room. What would you say.
Speaker 5: I would tell them, prepare for something that won't be easy, but prepare for a chance to be one thing, a champion in college, but ultimately an opportunity to be the best football player you could be. And for some of them, that's going to be in the NFL. You're going to learn things about the game of football that are going to travel with you far after your career. I mean, I'm doing TV primarily because I sat in team meeting rooms for thirteen years and heard the most brilliant mind and Bill Belichick talk about the game of football. I know about situations that I've never known. Offense, special teams defense because of all the things he hit about, you know, over my thirteen years in football, and for those young guys like that won't leave you. There's life lessons in there, There's everything. So I think ultimately you want to be a winner and be the best version of yourself. Get an opportunity to play for Bill Belichick. That's going to give you that.
Speaker 3: Did you ever want to punch you?
Speaker 5: I mean, how many times would you be? The question? I remember we went my rookie year. We went nine straight days of full pads in practice in training camp. Can't do that anymore, but that like, that's what we did my rookie year in training camp, like we were ready to go by top seasons started.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you again. Have fun in the postseason. Thank you, Devin. I'm talking to Dare Devin mccordy. Football Night in America analyst in wild Card Weekend Commanders and the Buccaneers. NBC and Peacock coverage will begin on Sunday night at seven thirty Eastern. Football Night UH in America kicks off at eight. We'll take a break. Phone calls coming up. Play of the day after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, the play of the day, God play.
Speaker 2: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 3: Check this out house looks like Kobe, Kobe on the pump, Kobe on the drug, Kobe down the.
Speaker 8: Rap right the power Dog, Kobe White with a slam.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Copy White with thety and he putty it down. That's courtesy of the Chicago Sports Network. The Chicago Bulls have won four time in their last five games. Talk about a non descript franchise, Marvin said that the Chicago Bulls might be the New Orleans Saints of the NBA.
Speaker 3: Okay, I could see that. Yeah they're not. They're just generic. Yeah they're not good, but they're not awful. Awful.
Speaker 2: Player of the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of The Dan Patrick Show, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever. A great alternative for kids or parents. We use them on the show all the time. Go to Rapid radios dot com and get sixty percent off and free shipping.
Speaker 3: Early poll results seton what do you have.
Speaker 6: For me early poll results on the most desirable job right now?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: Your options are Bears, Jaguars, Jets, Patriots, Saints. Right now, the Bears have forty six percent of that vote, followed by the Patriots at twenty one. Jaguars, Saints and the Jets are in last.
Speaker 2: I don't want to take the Jags job if you have the same GM who's been there for a couple of head coaches, Trent ball Keys still there. Patriot situation, I want to know, are you going to spend money, how involved are the crafts with the decisions. Saints probably would be at the bottom of my list. I think the Jets have the potential, but they've had the potential for decades. The Bears is the best situation, I think, just because you have the best quarterback probably out of that group, although you can make an argument Drake may was better than Caleb Williams this year. I just think get some familiarity, continuity, and you can't have a rookie quarterback or even a second year quarterback, and you have a coach who may get fired or gets fired. Now you bring in another coach, another philosophy, another offensive coordinator, it's too much to ask. It's too difficult for these quarterbacks to go in learn a system, now learn another system. And that happened with Baker Mayfield. Baker Mayfield has played great. He's a top ten quarterback. May not want to admit it, but getting continuity, having a couple of really good receivers and you're putting up forty touchdowns here. But the Bear situation, I think that's a really good situation. I just don't know. It feels like they got enough too many front office people for my liking there. But you look at some of these vacancies. The Jags ownership, how involved the Jets front office ownership is a disaster. Patriots, what just happened? The Saints, they're just kind of, I don't know, neutral bland. If you could put a color on these teams, the Saints would be opal, not oprah opel. Patriots would be beige.
Speaker 3: Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Give me a color for the Jags, Fusia like futility. Yeah, the Bear's color. Bear's color. I'm gonna give them orange, orange like a traffic cone. Orange like they can protect you, but there could also be danger lurking there.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, Yeah, the Jaguars. They have the job opening. No one ever talks about. Is it possible that Trevor Lawrence never works out? We're four years in, He's twenty two and thirty eight as a starter, sixty nine touchdowns, forty six picks, and despite him being injured this past year, he wasn't good when he was healthy, and he just signed a five year, two hundred and seventy five million dollar deal. Here's your quarterback at minimum for the next two years. Yeah, no one discusses him as a I don't want to use the word bus but eight underwhelming.
Speaker 3: But they don't talk about the Jacks.
Speaker 2: Once again, understanding the news cycle, how the sausage is made, you get no clicks if you're talking about the Jacks. I mean, let face it, you can go and nobody's gonna talk about the Saints, Bears you'll get clicks, Jets you'll get clicks. Patriots you get clicks, Jags, Saints you will, not the Cowboys you will obviously if Mike McCarthy stays or Mike McCarthy goes. That's how it works. It's like your radio station that plays top forty hits. That's what TV and radio has become you just play the hits because that's what you're told. You have programming people who tell you what to talk about, and I understand it, play the hits. It just I got into this to cover sports, not just the top end sports, and I did this at the Mothership. How many times did we talk about Duke North Carolina Basketball, Yankees and the Red Sox, Tarall Owens, Mike Tyson. Now, granted, those are people you did want to hear about or from, but you just don't want to lose some of the other like the Cavaliers and the Oklahoma City Thunder are playing wonderful basketball, Nobody's going to talk about them, and that's unfortunate, but this is sort of the sports society that we cultivated here.
Speaker 3: You're just going to play the hits. People would rather hear about.
Speaker 2: How bad the Lakers are, why aren't the Lakers good, or what kind of trade they can make than they would Cavalier is a great story in Oklahoma City, a great story, and it might just ended that, Hey, Okloma City, great story.
Speaker 3: That's it. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The interesting part of what you're saying, too, is that for traditional media, playing the hits is very important, but with like podcasts and social media and everything, you.
Speaker 3: Can narrow down and zero in.
Speaker 6: On one very specific thing that you're interested in, and there's probably a dozen podcasts covering just that one thing. So people, it's weird like, are probably more educated than ever on certain things, like whether it's x's and o's or whatever, because you can nerd out hardcore on any minutia of sport if you want.
Speaker 2: But even at my broadcasting school, when students say, hey, I want to start a podcast, and I always say, okay, what are you going to talk about? When they say sports, I go, nope, never make it. You got to be really specific. What are you going to give that somebody doesn't give? And I had one of my students say, I'm just going to talk about the Cowboys. Well, he's had a successful podcast because he's talking about the Cowboys. You talk about the Laker. I mean, this is how it works. May not be fair. Nobody said it was going to be fair. If you're Mike McCarthy, what are you waiting for? I mean, Jerry Jones is really embarrassing him. Mike has won a Super Bowl. He might be a borderline Hall of Fame coach, maybe as a Hall of Fame coach, But what are you doing? And if you're Mike McCarthy, I think by Thursday he's a total free agent. And we're going to check in with the Cowboys coming up next hour, because now we brought the Bears into the equation. The Bears are going to interview Mike McCarthy. Okay, And if you're a Bears fan, don't be high and mighty and go, oh, we can't have him come in. If he was when he was in Green Bay and I said you could have him as your head coach, you would have taken him in his second.
Speaker 3: Good coach he is.
Speaker 2: His resume is similar to Sean Payton's. Let that sink in. Because Sean Payton's a genius with a lot of people. Mike McCarthy doesn't get that. Well, he had Aaron Rodgers, they only won.
Speaker 3: One Super Bowl. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sean had Drew Brees, they won one Super Bowl. Mike McCarthy's a good coach. I think being in that organization, you're you're gonna get blamed, You're never gonna get credit. But Jerry has let you be a lame duck coach. And if I'm Mike McCarthy. I don't know if the bear situation is real. I don't know if that's somebody from Mike McCarthy saying, hey, can you do me a solid so I can he wants to go back to the Cowboys. What's Jerry waiting for now? Jerry does love being in the news cycle. He truly, you get addicted to this. They want that publicity, they want that attend You see player o Cho Sinko taroll Owens. When they're done, they're like, wait a minute, hey, notice me. Well, Jerry Jones loves the attention. I think that's why hegged he was dragging out Dak Prescott's contract c D Lamb. Now will drag out Michael Parsons. Why you're in the news cycle constantly talking about your product? And I think that has got in the way of the Cowboys progressing and being a really good team again, because Jerry gets caught up in this, loves it. Probably loves that we're talking about Mike McCarthy. I'll get around. You know, he's doing cameos in a Landman series, by the way, got good reviews. But I think Jerry likes being a star. It's like the crafts like being a star. Arthur Blank loves being a star. I want my owner to just let people do their job, let them be stars. These owners love it. I'm gonna go down there on the sidelines, bring my girlfriend down there on the sidelines. We're gonna win a super No, we're not. Jerry loves being a star.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pulling By the way, Mike McCarthy in the past eighteen years has made the playoffs thirteen times. In the past eighteen years, the Bears that made the playoffs four times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike McCarthy is a good coach.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's the image the you know, when you look at Mike McCarthy like you don't see Matt Lafleur. I mean I think that people probably it's sad to say that, but I think you look at Mike McCarthy like he's not all buttoned up slovenly there on the side. They did this Andy Reid. It felt like, oh, Andy Reid. Now we've embraced Andy Reid. But sometimes that coach like Tom Landry looked like a coach. Don Shula looked like a coach. Look at Lombardi out there. Sometimes you look at that coach, and maybe he's not in the image of what you think a coach should be. And I think Mike McCarthy has suffered from them. I think we look at Mike McCarthy and you have an opinion. Yes, Mike McDaniel gets that treatment. Yes, he didn't look like a coach. No, his pants, yes, well he got his pants pulled up like that. Coaches don't look like that. Yes, that's a great point, but I do. I think we look sometimes and somebody doesn't look like a basketball coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, who's the most coach looking coach of all time? Pat Riley? Pat Riley, but you're casting him.
Speaker 6: That's exactly who you would catch too slick, too soon?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Don Shula, Shula did look like a coach. How about Bill Cower? Bill Cower?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jimmy Johnson in there, that fellow looked like a coach, Tom Landry, what about Bob. We'll check in with the Cowboys. One hour in the books, two more to go.