Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The NBA eighty two game grind is done, and now the real fun begins. The NBA Playoffs are here and it's time for all the high stakes drama, clutch moments, and jaw dropping plays.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: If you're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting, DraftKings Sportsbook has you covered as an official sports betting partner of the NBA from the playing games all the way through to the finals. Now's the time to back your favorite players and teams as they chase glory. All season long. DraftKings has been the go to spot for NBA player props and that does not stop. Now. Want to make your playoff experience even more intense, Try placing a bet on your favorite player's performance. Well they drop thirty points, forty or more, it's your call. Ready to place your first bet? Download the DraftKings Sportsbook gap Now lock in your bets. Let's make this playoff run unforgettable. Here's something special for first timers. New DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly make it a playoff run to remember with DraftKings. Download the Draft Kings sportsbook gap and use code hoops that's h oops. That's code hoops for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called Wayne hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and y or text hope and why to four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or.
Speaker 3: Visit CCPG dot org.
Speaker 2: Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario, new customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dkang dot co.
Speaker 3: Slash audio. All right, welcome to Hoops tonight. You're at the ball.
Speaker 2: You have you Tuesday, buddy, hopeball. You guys are having a great start for your week. Got a jam packed show tonight. We had a four game night on a weekday. Absolutely insane, all sorts of crazy drama, all sorts of crazy results. We had a game winner. We have a bunch of stuff we're going to be getting into today. You guys are the joke before we get started. Subscribe to the Hoops and I YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter, I Underscore json LTC. You guys, don't miss show announcements. Don't forget a better podcast for you where you get your podcast on our Hoops tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave your rating and a review on that front. We also have social media feeds on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook where Jackson's doing great work. Make sure you guys follow us there. The last but not least, keep dropping mail bag questions in those YouTube comments and we can get.
Speaker 3: To them in our mail bags. Moving forward.
Speaker 2: At the tail end of the show tonight, we're gonna take more questions from the chat, so make sure you guys drop your questions there in the chat. All right, let's talk some basketball quickly before I get to Clippers Nuggets. The Celtics game is the game I didn't get to watch tonight, so we're not gonna get around to that one. But I saw Jason Tatum thirty five, eight and ten on just sixteen shots to close out the Magic, his third consecutive thirty five point game in the entire playoff run. Last year, he had two thirty five point games total, and that is the biggest difference between this year's Celtics and last year's Celtics. Last year, Celtics did not have, in my opinion, a player that can reach that top tier, superstar level. Jason Tatum was incredibly versatile in that playoff run. He did a ton to make that team championship caliber. But now he's bringing that extra level of shot making and half court surgery that makes him one of the very best players in the entire NBA and it just makes that Celtics team that much more difficult to deal with in this sort of setting. Again, no more thoughts on that game, Beau, I didn't get to watch it. When I saw that number. Again, he already has more thirty five point games in the first round that he did in the entire playoff run last year. Great sign for Celtics fans. We're gonna start with Clippers Nuggets, and for two games in a row now it has felt like the Nuggets have had the Clippers. They're bringing late help on Kawhi when he gets into the mid range and preventing him from really getting into a good scoring rhythm as a shot maker there in that short to mid range where he.
Speaker 3: Loves to work.
Speaker 2: Although Kawhi did have one of his better passing playoff games that I've ever seen from him tonight, But Kawhi has managed to score over twenty five points just once in this entire series. They're putting a ton of pressure on Harden. Christian Brown is applying a lot of full court ball pressure, like just attacking the basketball and making him uncomfortable. They're bringing Jokic aggressively out to the level on him, and as the intensity of the series is picked up, James Harden has looked completely caught off guard by it. I was joking with my buddy Jason Maples on Twitter earlier, like, it's still shocking to me even with James Harden's playoff history, and when you're watching it happen, it's still jarring to see because like the game has this level of intensity and you can see it in all these different ways. Right, it's two to two, game five of a series, basically a must win for both team games for obvious reason, it's just very difficult to put yourself in a situation where you have to win two games in a row just to survive, right, And you're seeing like the yelling and screaming of Russell Westbrook, the yelling and screaming of Christian Brown, even the intensity from like Nicole Jokicic just like barking at his teammates, barking at officials, getting super excited every time one of his teammates makes a play. There's like this emotional momentum with the team as they're bringing the requisite intensity to meet the moment. The transition pushes from jokis just his eyes light up every time he sees an opportunity to make the defense pay for something. There's a level of like mental and physical intensity that is president in all of these series. But you can see in the game tonight, and then you're watching James Harden and it looks like he'd much rather be playing in like kind of a chill pickup game, Like he's operating at a level of intensity that is just several levels below what the team needs from him in that moment. And it always again, this has happened a lot over the course of his career, and it often comes in this phase of the series, towards the end of the series, when the team has been scouted out really well and the defender guarding James Harden has started to pick up on some of his cues and some of his little tips that he uses to tip off the moves that he's going to use, and the physical intensity and the overall urgency of the moment picks up, and as it gets crazier and crazier, he struggles back to back very important games for the Clippers. James Harden had twenty six points total in the two games. I do want to credit the Nuggets defense, though, with exception of the fourth quarter in Game four when they kind of lost control of things in transition, and then you could tell just in general the Nuggets got out of their defensive groove. The Nuggets have looked like the more intense team. They look like they want to win the series more. They have pretty quickly recaptured a level of defensive intensity much closer to what they had in the playoffs in twenty twenty three. It all starts with the bracket and the ball screens, the ball pressure that Christian Brown is applying on James Harden and Jokic getting out and making sure that Harden is not having an easy time getting the pass out from those situations. And you could see James Harden get flummixed that he's like trying to force a pass to the role man when the skip passes open. But the guy Garden the skip pass is like on the role man and it's a turnover because he's getting sped up and he's struggling to deal with the physicality and he's not making the same reads that James Harden can make when things are just a little less intense or when he is more intense and ready and engaged in the moment. But it all starts with those two at the level, Christian Brown and Nicola Jokic, the two of them are the guys that have stabilized this defense with what they've done in pick and roll and then the backside rotations. That's the third piece of it that they've managed to recapture. Again, the goal of your defense in the playoffs is to make opposing stars uncomfortable. Have they done that with Kawhi, Yes, they've kept him from volume scoring. Have they done that with James Harden. Yes, they've kept him from picking them apart in pick and roll. And for as much as we've talked about the Nuggets defense down the stretch of the season, which was a major storyline, it was the main reason so many people, including most of the Nuggets fans that I follow, picked the Clippers to win the series was because their defense was in such a bad place. But they've been operating at an insanely high level on offense for months. I thought Jokic was so much better than his box score looked tonight like he's four for thirteen from the field, But I thought he had complete command of the pace and flow of the game. He generated countless advantages. His transition pushes kept everybody out of position throughout the game. The team was playing out of those. A lot of the looks that Jamal Murray got were out of those transition pushes, out of those Jokic post ups and Jokic high post kind of fulcrum situations where he's just setting these guys up with great advantages. It kept everyone in rhythm. As I mentioned earlier, I thought Yokich was fantastic defensively tonight, a way better game than the box score would to lead you to believe. And then Jamal Murray the sixth forty point playoff game of his career. That's kind of a crazy stat dating back to his awesome shootout that he had with Donovan Mitchell back in the bubble. Jamal Murray looked fantastic tonight. Out of everything we saw, and we saw a ton of three point shot making. His three point shot was just dead eye tonight. He was getting separation on his moves, he was getting great lift all over the floor. But I thought the most exciting play for Denver's playoff chances was the transition Dunky had at the end of the game. He got up and he ammed that thing, and you could tell he knew it too, and he was like he was pumped, and you could tell he was feeling great physically. And that bodes extremely well for the big picture with this Nuggets team. That really was the story of the series to this point, in my opinion, the Nuggets had some other big country since tonight. Russell Westbrook was amazing in the first half. Vintage like not just knocking down spot up threes and scoring as a hutter. He was like getting buckets and causing actual problems for the Clippers on the ball. Michael Porter and Aaron Gordon were both excellent tonight. Christian Brown was great on both ends. Hit that huge three at the end of the third quarter that built that extra bit of margin going into the fourth. But at the end of the day, Jamal Murray and Nikol Jokic have badly outplayed James Harden and Kawhi Leonard. That's the series. Everything else flows down from there. That's what dictates the types of advantages the role players are getting. James Harden is the guy on the Clippers that can consistently set people up with advantages. He hasn't done a very good job of that. Nikolejokic, even in a poor shooting night, set up his team with countless advantages throughout the game. And again, when I keep talking about creating advantages, it's a very basic concept. Every basketball player, even the best basketball players in the world, are going to be more successful when they have a defender sprinting at them, versus when they have a defender set on them when the health defense is out of position and sprinting into help versus when the help is already pre loaded.
Speaker 1: Up.
Speaker 2: That's why advantage creation is so important. That's why I tend to be very predisposed, so to speak, as a fan, as a basketball fan, towards players that naturally create a ton of advantages in games. So I've always liked the big forwards, the Lebron's, the Lucas, the Nikola Jokic's.
Speaker 3: I've liked the.
Speaker 2: Deadly high pick and roll playmakers, the guys like Tyrese Halliburton, for instance. I've always liked the guys that just I mean, Steph is kind of a unicorn in this regard, but he can just create a ton of advantages just by running around the floor and everybody reacting to him Gehannest, just by being this battering ram that you have to account for by packing up the paint. Those guys that can consistently set their teammates up with advantages, they're gonna have a really high offensive floor. Everything flows down from those guys, and again the intensity, Like I don't think it's a coincidence that Nikola Jokic has looked like psychopathically competitive in these two games and his team has met the moment and been a buzzsaw versus a Clippers team that's had a lethargic James Harden and a generally quiet and like like Kawhi Leonard is not the type of personality that is going to galvanize a group with energy. He's he gets called a robot for a reason. Now, Kawhi, I thought was pretty good tonight, and Kawhi in general is going to have a certain floor because he is going to bring the requisite intensity. But Kawhi is not the kind of guy that's gonna, like legitimately galvanize a group emotionally and be like, hey, like, wake the fuck up, It's time to go. What are we doing?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You're gonna see Kawhi do what Nikola Jokic did in the huddle after Game two, or he's screaming at his guys. This is unacceptable what we're doing right here. The Clippers just got punched in the face twice, like badly. You don't see that too often in a playoff series. Won this competitive or you the regardless of arena, regardless of where you're at, one team just looks like they're genuinely playing harder. It usually goes back and forth based on who won the previous game. Any chance for the Clippers to reverse the trend of this series is going to come down to those two flipping the script. Same thing I said about the Lakers versus the Wolves. Can the Lakers beat the Wolves? Yes, it starts with Luka doncicin Lebron James not getting completely outclassed by Anthony Edwards and naseried and Julius Randall at the end of games. Until they flip that dynamic, that nothing's gonna change. Same thing goes here. Until James Harden can bring the requisite intensity and create the advantages necessary to get this offense to hum and until Kawhi Leonard can bring that volume scoring that he brought in Game two, they're going to struggle to flip this dynamic.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I picked the Clippers to win this series, as I mentioned, like most people did, given what we'd seen from the Nuggets and the time leading up to the series. But one of the things I said after Game two, and it's something that I feel very strongly at this point, is as a fan, I would like to see Denver advance because I think they have a much better chance to deal with Oklahoma City. The Denver Nuggets hung one hundred and forty points on the Thunder the last time that they played them. They have the ability to break down the Thunder defense with their aggregate playmaking. One of the specific reasons that I've not been as high on this Clippers team is their lack of playmaking. Once you get past James and James, Harden can have some issues as the intensity gets leveraged.
Speaker 3: Right, I am.
Speaker 2: Worried that the Clippers would go into the Thunder series and just really fall apart offensively, and so I'm personally hoping that the Nuggets can close this deal because I think that they present a very interesting type of challenge for OKAC even on defense. Their ability to load up against an Oklahoma City Thunder offense is something that I think is a favorable matchup for them too. I think that would be a really fun series, a Thunder Nuggets series, a series that obviously the Thunder would be rightfully favored, but I think it would be a really fun example of two very different styles, a very experienced team versus an inexperienced team. That's what I'll be rooting for moving forward in the series.
Speaker 3: It's not over.
Speaker 2: The Clippers absolutely can win Game six, and they absolutely have the talent to come back to Denver and win Game seven, but they put themselves in a buying and it's really hard for me to imagine something different happening when their leaders haven't seemed to bring the requisite intensity and to be able to meet them, to meet the competition that Jamal Murray and NICOLEA yok Which are bringing straight to them. Before we move on to Pistons Nicks, I'm gonna do a very short version of the announcement we made last night. We did just start a new partnership with Playback. It's a app that I feel very passionate about. It's an opportunity for you guys to be more interacted, interactive with us on the show. And so starting tomorrow tomorrow, after the final buzzer of the Lakers Wolves game, right after we do our YouTube show, we're gonna do our normal YouTube show here. When we're done, we're gonna go immediately after to what we're calling the Hoops tonight after show, and at the Hoops the night after show over on Playback, We're gonna take questions from you guys. We're gonna be able to actually bring you up on the stage. We're gonna be able to actually go through film live, so we'll be able to do a lot of like the actual visual examples of the stuff that we talked about on the show. It's gonna be super interactive, a little bit more informal, something I'm really excited about. It's gonna be with the after show in this playoff run, and then we have some big picture goals for next year to start doing some live watch alongs where like we can watch big NBA League Pass games together and actually go through the games as they're happening live together, something I'm really excited about. But for this season, we're just doing these after shows after our live YouTube shows. So when you guys have an opportunity, hit the link in the description, head over to the Hoops Tonight playback feed. Get set up so that you guys are ready to go tomorrow night again after the final, after we finished the live show tomorrow night on YouTube, we're all gonna head over to playback to start that new venture I'm super excited about. I hope to see you guys over there. All right, let's talk Pistons Nicks. So the Nicks had a chance to close out the Pistons in the same fashion that they took a three to one lead with keep things close until you can out execute them down the stretch, but instead it ended up being Kate Cunningham and the Pistons that played better down the stretch and sent the series back to Detroit for Game six by quickly capitalizing on a late injury to Jalen Brunson. So it was a crazy seat. Pistons are up ninety five ninety two, Jalen Brunson tweaks his ankle on a close out along the left wing. Kat literally goes down in a four on five and drops a bomb like a forty foot three from almost the logo that ties the game at one oh five. Just a huge shot, but Kate, very smartly, while Brunson is still on the floor limping around, immediately looks to attack him. Now, Kid had been attacking Brunson throughout the series, and in that fourth quarter stretch already he had just hit a three against a hedge gap on like two or three possessions earlier. And again, a hedge gap is like when Caid's coming off the screen and Jalen Brunson tries to hedge or throw his body out to force Kaid to retweet retreat. Ojananobi's going underneath the screen to try to meet him on the other side, and so there's a gap when right when Brunson's pulling back and OG's coming up. It's very similar to his switch interchange gap, which we've talked about a lot on this show. And Kate was able to hit a three in that situation against the hedge, but after Jalen Brunson sprained his ankle, he didn't want to hedge anymore because he didn't want to, like have to throw his body into a lateral quickness situation, so instead he just hugged up on the screener. That put Kate in a situation where he had no hedge. And what happens if you set a good screen and there's no hedge, You're gonna get downhill. He goes flying downhill, challenges the rim protector and misses a layup, but in the process occupies the rim protector, which allows Jalen Duran to fill the gap from behind and get the dunk right under the basket. There's a lot of that down the stretch. Jalen Brunson had a very similar play that led to Mitchell Robinson and one where he like when you get to the basket, even if you miss a layup, if you engage the rim protector, if you force the rim protector to leave his feet and get out of position, you're gonna have your center rolling down the lane with nobody who's even remotely physical capable, physically capable of hanging with him on the offensive glass. That's the lenge with the drop coverage big and that's why you'll see drop coverage bigs do so much stunting at the ball because they don't want to leave their feet because if they do, their out of position to box out and deal with the big man rolling down the lane, or to even deal with a lob right and we saw a bunch of that Jalen Brunson got. Mitchell Robinson opened that way had on the first possession. After Jalen Brunson's injury, takes advantage of the lack of a hedge, gets downhill ends up getting the miss that Jalen Duran cleans up. On the other end of the floor, Tobias Harris gets a massive stop against Karl Anthony town So after Jalen Brunson gets hurt, they have to sub induce McBride right, and Josh Hart ended up getting hurt as well, and so we saw we saw a campaign end up coming in the game as well at one point, but it was definitely an unfortunate set of circumstances for the Knicks. But Kat, as we saw it in many points in this series, has been able to create his own offense when needed. He's hit a couple of big left shoulder fades in crunch time, he had that crazy step back three against Jalen durn in game four or so. In theory, well we just go to Kat here he can create offense. Tobias Hairs excellent individual defense against Kat forces him into a tough fade away, nearly blocks it and actually forces him into a really tough like a really bad miss, like a bad bad miss. Kid goes down the other end, the Knicks are all scrambled and transition defense. Jalen Duran ends up setting like a little brush screen for Kate at the top of the key, same exact thing. Kid goes flying downhill misses but occupies all the help defenders, and there's Jalen Duran just standing under the basket ready for another finish. So more value in the form of rim pressure from Kate, and his rim pressure was fantastic down the stretch of this game. He got a transition push for a scoop shot. He was downhill non stop down the stretch, none of this tough mid range fade away shit that he was settling for in Game four. Caid was going to the bucket down the stretch in this game and had a lot of success that way. So Kate goes down the hill, gets the miss that leads to the Jalen dura and put back. Now the pissons are up for Tim Hart, but the way Junior's turn to get a big stop. This time they go to McHale, bridges Tim hardaway, forces him into like a tough leaning fade away along the right lane line, ends up missing, and then Cad closes the deal with a textbook drop coverage attack where he gets Juce McBride trapped on his side, puts him in jail, hits a little floater, and then on the very next possession a post fade where he turns over the double team and Asar Thompson just slips along the baseline right behind Karl Anthony Towns and Cad rifles a perfect pass right to him underneath the basket for the easy layup. Cade was brilliant down the stretch of this game. And by the way, during that whole run, Tom Tibodau was never able to get Jalen Brunson back into the game. Now I understood the idea from Tim's He had one time out left, and the ability to advance the ball is it could make a huge difference in a comeback, right. So, like, first of all, you gotta remember Brunson was stepped out because he was.
Speaker 3: Having an ankle in jo injury. He needed a minute, right.
Speaker 2: Cad scores or generates bucket on three straight possessions, so it gets to six quickly, all right. So it's already in a situation where the Knicks basically need to go like like perfect basketball down the stretch, right, And in that scenario, it's very possible that you do hit a shot that forces you to call a timeout after fouling to advance the ball so that you can get another shot up with like two seconds left on the game clock if you run into that scenario. So I think what Tibbs was thinking is someone's gonna get fouled. Something's gonna go out of Bound's worst case scenario. This is why we have Kat, This is why we have Mikhale Bridges, so that they can run offense if we need to need them to in a situation. In theory, we have a better defensive lineup out there, maybe we can buy Jalen Brunson a few possessions. So I understood, But then it just by the time you got a chance to use the timeout, it was too late. But like at the end of the day, the damage was done in those first couple of possessions after Jalen Brunson got hurt. And so I don't want to hyper focus on that decision there. From Tibbs, I could see what he was thinking. He just wanted to save that time out for a final passe ession should they need it. But the story of the game, and easily the most interesting storyline for the rest of the series, was Aasar Thompson's individual defense on Jalen Brunson. Pistons fans had been clamoring for this adjustment for the entire series. There was some pretty strong lineup data that the Pistons were about the same on offense and considerably better on defense. When Aasar Thompson was on the floor. I was a little bit more on the fence down the stretch. In Game four, a SAR made a couple of classic young guy mistakes on offense, so I thought it was at least defensible to at least in crunch time for excuse me, for the Pistons to go with like a more experienced and more polished offensive player. But down three to one, JB. Bickerstaff finally leans fully into a SAR. He plays a series high twenty nine minutes. He was plus nine in those minutes. Jalen Brunson finishes the game four for sixteen from the field. Now as a team effort, several guys got big stops on Brunson on an island, Heyde got stops. Dennis Schroeder got stops. Guys did It was a team effort on Brunson. But Asar applied constant ball pressure. Was closing off driving angles by beating him to spots, was bumping him off his base on his fade away, got great contests on his mid range, was pursuing him over the top of ball screens and getting contests from behind those rear view contests. And I thought his ball pressure in particular caused Brunson to play faster than usual. It sped him up throughout the entire game. He missed a couple of shots that he usually makes, like easy shots right at the rim. He took some unusual shots, like there was one where he had a catch in the left corner and Aasar Thompson closed out on him textbook closed out, closes out on the high side shoulder to funnel him towards the baseline. Brunson rips baseline and ends up taking kind of like a eurostep floater. But Tobias Harris was like right there, like right there, and Brunson just shot the floater directly into Tobias's hands, like it barely got out of his hands before he got before he got blocked, and like Brunson usually sees that sort of thing, but I thought he was just a little bit rushed, just a little bit uncomfortable compared to what he looked like at other points in the series. And so, I mean, especially with where the situation is gone to this point in the series, I think it was a worthwhile gamble from Jav Bickersoft to lean into a sar and more and it paid off. And that will be the biggest key in game six. Back in Detroit, Canon Brunson solved the SR. Thompson problem and get more comfortable throughout the game. I think the Knicks are going to go into Detroit in Game six and play like a veteran team that knows they need to win. They had a similar game last year where they went into Philly, I think, and beat them in game six, where they kind of like looked a little sketchy, but then they were able to rise up on the road and get the job done. My guess is it'll look a little bit like that, but it'll probably still be a close game because this Pistons team has had a lot of success with them again against them with their physicality, So I think it'll be a close game and it'll come down to a late game execution and if the Knicks can be what the Knicks are capable of beating and Jalen Brunson can stay on the floor, they should be able to close out the deal there. But really impressive moment of growth there from Cad Cunningham and the Detroit Pistons. All Right, we'll talk quickly on Pacers Bucks and then we'll do a mail bag and then we'll get out of here Milwaukee through a hell of a punch. Tonight, Giannis played another amazing game in that like kind of point center role where he's next to Bobby Portis and he just kind of determines everything as the half court shot creator. Thirty points, twenty rebounds, and thirteen assists with two steals and two blocks and absolutely insane stat line. I tweeted this earlier, like I was obviously wrong to pick the Bucks to beat the Pacers for a myriad of reasons, and obviously the Dame injury was a psychological punch to the gut for the Bucks in the middle of the series. But I don't have any regrets for believing in Giannis and his ability to potentially win this series, like he is just he is amazing, and he's gonna go play somewhere else this summer, and some team is going to become frightening when they add Giannis to the mix, And there are a couple teams out there that have the assets to make a move for him, that are already really fucking good, and it could get incredibly scary. But Giannis played amazing. Gary Trent Junior and AJ Green go nuclear from three. They hit fourteen of them, including Gary Trent hitting five of his eight threes in crunch time. But Tyre's Halliburton was even better. Think about how good you thought Gary Trent Junior was down the stretch, Like did it feel like when you were watching the game that Gary Trent was scoring every single time? He had fifteen points in crunch time. Tyres Haliburton had fourteen of his own in crunch time to go with two assists. The Pacers overcame a seven point deficit no tee. With a little over a half minute left, Andrew Nemhard hits a ball bomb coming off of ball screen like a deep like thirty foot three off the dribble at the top, and then Tyre's Halliburton beats his man off the dribble twice, once against aj Green on the right wing, once against Giannis on Tanakoompo on the left wing for the win, and on both of them like Aj Green physicality bumping up on Halliburton, He's Shiel turns the corner, he bumps him at the rim and he still gets enough lift to power through the contact for a soft left handed finish off the glass and one and then attacking Giannis in a switch the nasty left to right crossover turns the corner and for the second time in crunch time, he elevates and actually gets an up and under to avoid rim protection and cleanly lay it down off the glass like that is the most athletic Tyrese has looked on his dribble drive and rim finishing attacks, especially out of one one on ones, since the beginning of last year when he was kicking everybody's ass before he pulled his hamstring like. There has been a consistent theme with Tyre's Halliburton in his range of potential outcomes, and it pretty much comes down to he can make all the reads, but in order to beat switches, he's got to be able to beat people off the dribble and hit stuff at the rim in traffic, and in order to dick take the type of coverage necessary to generate all the kinds of openings that he can kill teams with, he's got to be able to hit his three. If he can hit his three off the dribble, that's the other ceiling raising piece that unlocks everything that he does, because if he can score effectively enough and drop coverage and he can score effectively enough and switches that unlocks his his peak trait, which is that he sees every he sees every read as it's happening, and he makes those reads on time, on target. The pass is always in the right place. That's the ceiling raising piece. But it depends on his ability to be explosive in one on one situations and to knock down shots and drop coverage and so like, honestly, we're recording a Pacers Calves preview tomorrow morning, so keep an eye on the feeds early ish in the day tomorrow for that. But the main thing that I want to focus on is that they're going to need Tyrese Halliburton to be amazing to be able to win that series. And this is the best that he's looked since the time that he came onto the scene early last year and everyone was like, oh my god, what are we watching? Like evolutionary Steve Nash here, Like he's showing that upside again. The first step on the move on Giannis was crazy, Everyone's slaying Giannis, and I mean, the dude had to do everything for his team, So like, I'm just not going to be super critical of him in that situation. This is not like the Luka Doncic situation where he's being anchored by Lebron James and Austin Reeves and and somehow still running out of gas at the end of games. Like Giannis is the engine for everything this team does. Like who's the second best player on Gianni's team tonight. It's scary Trent Junior. It's Kevin Porter Junior. You know, like like he took a bunch of league, like a replacement level players in the NBA and went in Indiana, very good Indiana Pacers team and nearly got the job done. But like in that last iso, Tyree's he toasted him on that move. He looked expl on that move and it wasn't like a high hesitation, just shoot the gap. He changed direction with a sweeping left to right crossover and then hit the jet moving forward. They're gonna need him to be incredible to beat the Calves, and I thought that was a really good sign, how explosive he looked down the stretch. We had a really weird altercation at the end of the game with Tyres Alberton's dad, like walking onto the court to just shit Takianus on the floor. That was super bizarre, But I thought both Tyrese and Jannis handled it really well in their postgame pressers, and that kind of took some of the uh, the weirdness away because you could see, like, I'm so glad that we've seen this from Tyrese. Like shit talk can get nasty sometimes, but there is something to be said about high level competition and the ability to separate what is high level competition from what things are like off the court. And there are a lot of people out there that, like I mean, we were talking about this last night, Like I I like to think I'm a reasonably nice guy. I have been awful to people in the basketball court before, Like awful to the point where, like I think about it all week until I see that person and I can apologize to them. Like there is a when you get out there and the competitive juice to start flowing, Like there is it is important to separate the competition from what things are like off the court. And like Giannis had a chance to go into that press conference and just rip Tyrese and talk all sorts of shit about who he thinks he is as a person. Nope, tyres is a competitor, wish him all the best, but then calling attention to the obvious behavior from his dad, and same thing with Tyres Halliburn. He could have gone into the presser and been like, those boys talk shit the entire series and we busted their ass. Nope, he went up there and he was like, look, we're outside of the lines now, time to be a grown up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I respect the hell out of Giannis, I respect the hell out of Dame. This is just what we do when we compete, and and I just I just want to applaud those those guys for handling that really sticky situation with class. All Right, let's hit a couple. Let's do about ten minutes of mail back questions and then we'll get out of here for them.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: First question. Uh, you allude to this a little bit in the Nuggets Clipper supports for the show, but Jokic seems to have really stepped up on the defensive end. So not great by any means, but it does feel like a massive improvement from the regular season. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Yes, part of it is like the juxtaposition, and what I mean by that is like they were so bad on defense to end of the season, they were so so bad, like everybody was bad, and so like there's a certain amount of like they're just kind of like competing now and that's making the world of difference and they just weren't competing earlier. But I mean, like everything comes down to because of the way that Denver guards, Everything comes down to just the three parts of their pick and roll coverage, the ball pressure of Christian Brown, Nicole Jokic, at the level in their backside rotations, and they're just substantially sharper on all three fronts than they were in the regular season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I feel like they're a lot sharper in the regular season. That feels obvious. It feels like he's been sharper just since Game one and two. I mean, the the at the the intensity and I was about to say foot speed and that felt like the wrong word to use for yokch but uh in the the intensity and sort of purpose with Wick at least he's guarding out there feels notable. It certainly feels a lot more like their championship run than it did last season.
Speaker 2: You know, by comparison, he's big and he's smart, so like if he does, like think of it like this, he his speed is more useful because he's usually early, but he's gotta be bringing the requisite intensity. But like, dude, I thought Jokic's intensity was like palpable, palpable on the screen tonight, Like you could tell he was like I'm winning this fucking game, Like like I'm winning this fucking game. And it just was like the exact opposite of the energy we were seeing from James Harden, and it was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is funny when people like to do the whole does Yokuchi even care about basketball? Thing? Like when you watch the dude in the playoffs, I mean he is as an tens of the competitors anybody.
Speaker 3: Dude, it's such bullshit.
Speaker 2: But I was like when I was like when I heard it was like, oh, Yokich like did this like you know, four hour coaching class back when he was in Europe this summer. I'm literally sitting there thinking like this dude's a basketball nutshob. This dude loves basketball. Let's yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: On the hardened question, are Harden's late series struggles more about a lack of intensity or being overly scouted by that point, sort of familiarity with the opponent at that point.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been thinking a lot about this tonight over the course of the game, like what what is it that's causing him to do this? And I think there's a couple of different things. I think there are some obvious skill things like James Harden has always had a little bit a little bit of a like a his bag, has several very reliable moves, but he doesn't necessarily have like a gigantic variety of shot making. It's a lot of like the same three or four types of moves, And so I think there's a certain amount of like guys pick up on his cues.
Speaker 3: But also, like.
Speaker 2: I genuinely think that part of the NBA playoff process is like overcoming the adversity of a defense kind of figuring you out throughout NBA history, even the greatest basketball players that I've watched, Because in the playoffs, you have to beat four teams over the course of two months, generally at progressively more difficult levels, right and once you get into like second third round, you're consistently running into great defenses. I think what ends up happening is like over the course of a series, you get tons of tape, and teams are pretty good at taking away what you like to do, and like you will find yourself in a basketball game where you're like, shit, the thing I like to do is not working.
Speaker 3: What am I gonna do now?
Speaker 2: And like there's it's like a intensity, like confronting the problem with intensity, which is like, well, if I just play really fucking hard, I can make these things happen that are positives for me and my team, and I can build momentum in the form of confidence that comes from that, and and I can try to turn this thing around. And then there's the it's just not my night, you know, Like I know it does it almost like feels like that kind of energy from him where he almost like succumbs to it, and it's like, dude, James, this happens to everybody. This happens literally everybody in these games. It gets really fucking hard, Like you just have to find a way to contribute, Just find a way, you know, And like for him, it could have literally just been creating advantages in ball screens by like getting downhill with the same verve that he brought in the fourth quarter a game.
Speaker 1: Fo Yeah, it's this is probably a bit of an unfair comparison because it's, you know, one of the best players of all time. But you think Steph Curry likes being top locked, he likes being fucking face guarded like.
Speaker 3: He hates it. He hates it, but he at least puts in.
Speaker 1: The requisit effort required to try to beat it other ways and create advantage for his team when defenses are playing gimmicky defenses or trying to do everything they can to take away your best option, right, Like, that's part of the equation that you're describing.
Speaker 2: No, you're absolutely right to put it simply like Steph had a poor shooting night relative to what he's capable of in Game four, but his impact came in the form of his intensity throughout the game.
Speaker 1: Right, And you can say the exact same for Yokic tonight. And on that Jokic point, James Harden was tasked with the at least point of attack defense on Jokic a lot in the second half. It did seem to have some success at least, you know, he wasn't yok wasn't as much of a scorer certainly tonight. Is that something that you think the Clippers can use next game. Is a reasonable thing that could affect Jokic and change the series, or is it's sort of like a gimmicky thing they tried to do tonight.
Speaker 2: It's gimmicky in the sense that, like Jokich was doing a lot of work at the top of the key, and it gave them some flexibility in terms of the ability to switch. And there's also the reality that like this is teams have been trying this forever, which is basically, let's put our bigger forward that's not very good on the perimeter, Let's put him on Jokic, and then let's put our center on the back line. And it's just really as you look through the Clippers roster, they don't really have like Kawhi effectively is that big forward, but he's better deployed on the perimeter. So basically, James Harden is playing the same role that you see so many teams use against Denver, which is he's basically their defensive four. I mean, who was this primary matchup earlier in the series. It was literally Aaron Gordon or Michael Porter Junior for the most part. So like the idea there though, is like what James Harden is doing. Getting super aggressive up underneath Jokic is one part of the team defensive scheme of handling him, which really involves packing things on the back line and like making difficult passing reads as you have some non shooters on the floor.
Speaker 1: For sure. I agree. All right, let's move away from the series to a couple other questions. Given the Knicks Piston series has been dead even or close to debt, even are you does that make you lower on the New York Knicks ceiling or higher on Detroit's presence last future Given the fact they're doing all this also without Isaiah Stewart and Jade and.
Speaker 2: Ivy, I think that there's I mean, you texted me during the game, Jackson, You're like, I think this is going to be a series that the Knicks will win, but that we will look back on one day and be like, hey, this is one of the series where Caid kind of like showed some of what he's capable of, like an important part of his story, so to speak. It's like the old Lebron Wizard series for instance, you know, and like it's one of those things where you know, Kate has learned some valuable lessons over the course of this series. Caid early in the series was like not being as deliberate with hunting, screening actions in crunch time. It was attacking too much one on one in the middle of the series, made some bad reads where it's like trying to like split double teams and stuff and turning the basketball over tonight. Very decisive in the actions that he was attacking and was relentlessly getting downhill, wasn't settling for some of the mid range jump shots that he was settling earlier in the series. For like, Caid has shown growth over the course of this series, He's been really good defensively for stretches in this series, Like you're seeing a lot of stuff come to the surface of sar Thompson and what he's shown you as like kind of the literally the m N Thompson role just guard the other team's best guard and then operate as a baseline vertical spacer like the there's obviously a lot of exciting stuff there. I personally was never very high on the Knicks at any point this season, Like there was not a single day from from the day they got the shit kicked out of him by the Celtics there was never a single day that I really took the Knicks that seriously as a championship contender. We'll see, we'll see if they can flip that script going against the Knicks, but like Eric going against the Celtics. But like it also is a little tricky to me with this Jalen Brunson ankle thing, Like if he's not super explosive in game six and he deals with another game of Asar Thompson all over him, I could see things going south. Like I think the Knicks are gonna win, and I think they'll probably win in six, but there's like a hefty, like twenty percent chance that the Pistons get this done. Like they are a real problem for the Knicks on a bunch of different levels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean, it's crazy watching these playoffs with this sort of extra level of scrutiny that we're watching it with. And it's crazy how much the Thompson Twins jump off the screen still as rookies to have to be the best athletes on the floor every time they're on the floor to be it's rare to see a defender have the this kind of size. Also, they're kind of huge and have the lateral quickness to constantly be beating people to the spots that they want to be getting to. All the time.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking about this a lot within the context of like, okay, so like why there was a reason why I was disagreeing with a lot of people talking about the Luka Doncicic like roster structure with the Lakers, and like there's a obvious thing where it's like you you, of course want to have Luca with a rim, like a like a vertical spacer, like obviously, and the Lakers will get one this summer, I'm sure. But outside of that, like I like the idea of Luca being surrounded with guys that don't just finish plays, but that can extend advantages and play out of like like kind of complex clothes out attacking and connective playmaking and all that kind of stuff. I you know, I've had this like vision for what the Lakers can be that has never really come to fruition yet, which involves basically Luca creating advantage and then Lebron and Austin and everyone else just playing off of that advantage and having a ton of success. But here we are the Lakers, are down three to one, and last year a team of Luca surrounded with play finishing was more successful. So then I look at why why were they more successful? And I keep coming back to Derek Jones Junior and Derek and Daniel Gafford.
Speaker 3: And the specific.
Speaker 2: Dynamic of having a legitimate guy like what Jaden's doing to Luca, which is having a legitimate on ball guy that can be a pest that you that will switch if needed, but that is really hard to get to switch because he's so nifty getting around screens that can make a guy uncomfortable all game and that can be bracketed by rim protection on the backside. I think that's how they beat the Thunder, That's how they beat Minnesota. They press up, like Derek Jones was able to press up on Ant's pull up jump shot enough that he wasn't very comfortable with it, and Ant was dealing with a ton of rim protection when he would get past that first layer. And I want to be clear, and deserves more credit. He's not just beating the Lakers because of a lack of rimp protection. He has beat them with his passing and his three point shooting, which is just a testament to his development. But I think there's something to be said about these types of guys. You're watching a Men Thompson have some success defensively, You're watching Asar Thompson have a lot of success defensively. You're like these Like, I think it's actually better to surround your supremely gifted offensive player with defense than offense. And one of the big reasons why I'm thinking that way, Jackson, is these these shooters that don't make shots. There's all these shooters that don't make shots out there, and it's like, so it's like, what good is the shooter that doesn't make shots compared to the athlete that's athletic every single night, And so like at a certain point, I almost look at it and I go, like, how much different is the average like non athletic skill guard shooting on wide open catch and shoots in this series than some of the better athletes who maybe aren't as good as shooters, but they feel fresher, they get more lift on their jump shot, and they can impact the game in all these other ways.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting shooters not making shots, because that's what I have been thinking many of the games watching the Pistons, where I'm like, can their shooters just hit a shot? What the hell is going on? And not that these two are the same caliber of player, because I think we can all agree that overall, Jaden McDaniels is, you know, a tier or two above someone like Malik Beasley. But from a just a conceptual standpoint, Jaden's gonna have some games where he hits three. It's like Malik Beasley. Yeah, he's not gonna do it every game, maybe one out of every five or two out of every five or whatever, but he is going to do that on occasion. And he's every single night going to bring the athleticism in size and speed and strength that someone like you know, just for the example, Malik Beasley is not providing.
Speaker 2: And when they do make shots, it makes them like kind of unbeatable, kind of like they looked in Game one, and then they can have a game like Jayden didn't shoot particularly well in Game four, but was like super super impactful defensively. It's just, you know, every single year I cover the league, I feel like I learned a little bit more, and you always are everything's also about the context, Like you you also, we've seen teams like Denver pull it off to where they can win without a ton of supreme athleticism on the floor just by overwhelming skill and size, or Golden State, where it's like Golden State has continued to win without much physical size on the floor repeatedly over the course of the last decade, and so like there I there is no harder fast rule, to be clear, But as I'm looking specifically, like as a fan of the Lakers, for instance, as I look at that team I've been, all I can think about for the summer is getting more athletic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's all I can think about.
Speaker 1: And just thinking about it more really just in real time, as in the playoffs, specifically, when defenses are so you know, focused on the guys who are the best players obviously, but then they're also very focused on the elite, the elite level play finishers like a Malik Beasley. They are on that dude's hip, right, Milik Beasley is not getting many half court remotely open three pointers, while Jaden McDaniels, someone of that sort of ILK is getting open three pointers because defense are like, we will live with that, we will live with him shooting threes, and so then the equation changes even further where it's like, what would you prefer a contested in Malik Beasley three or a wide open Jayden McDaniels three, And the numbers probably I don't even know what the numbers say. They would probably still land in Malik Beasley. But it's a lot closer. You're not actually comparing contested three for contested three. You're comparing contest for much of the game. You're comparing contested three from shooter versus open three from quote unquote non shooter.
Speaker 2: It's a little more complicated than that, because I think there's value in being guarded a certain type of way. But I think, like I think Malik Beasley is a class of shooter that get that that gets guarded that type of I'll give you an example like bogged In Agdanovich, you know, or like when you're looking at like like Tim Hardaway Junior is a great example. Tim Hardaway Junior at stretches in this series has not been able to make shots. Like to me, it's that's that tier below Malik Beasley where it's like that where the other team just puts a decent lock and trail defender on them that takes away the easy ones. And then like all of a sudden he becomes a useless player. Like but there's it's just it's just the volatility, because like I feel like Buddy Healed was this guy, and Buddy.
Speaker 3: Heeld's had a couple of good games in a row, so like it.
Speaker 2: But my point is, though, is like like Buddy Healed, when he's got the shot going the way he did in the last two games, looks like a good player. But like Buddy's looked really bad in the games when he hasn't been hitting shots. And so that that's where it just gets stricky. And I think that there's something to be said about the dependability of athleticism and like ideally that guy can hit a catch and shoot three. But like to me, it'd be like a guy like Chris Dunn, like how much value is there and a guy like Chris Dunn versus a guy like a Tim Hardaway junior, you know, And it's a complicated discussion, and like, you know, there are other times. There are other times I watch a game and I'm like, oh my god, shot making is the only thing that matters, Like it's all I feel like it all depends on like having the perfect mixture of things. It's just I tend to think of it like like having Luka Doncic as like this supremely gifted offensive player that can create advantages.
Speaker 3: I just want to put him in.
Speaker 2: A situation where his athletic job is really easy, so that over the course of games, he can just focus on creating shots. There's something to be said about being problematic how much they switch with him. And this is why his conditioning is so important, because it would be good for him to be able to add a hedge and recover look to what he can do, but he just needs to get faster and he needs to be able to cover ground more over the course of games. But yeah, I've just been I've been very keyed in on the athletes, and we've just seen a lot of examples of the athletes kind of having big impact at this point.
Speaker 1: For sure, Let's do one more question in a caz Verus Celtics potential Eastern Conference matchup, assuming that that does happen, does Donovan Mitchell need to reach the level of a top five player and do you think he's capable of reaching that type of ceiling.
Speaker 2: I think where Donovan Mitchell is going to become incredibly important for the Caves Celtics matchup is crunch time when it turns into the matchup hunting, slow down type of thing, because the Calves, I think, are gonna have a lot of success in that series just with their blender and what I mean by that is just the incessant transition pushes, the quick, decisive attacks, the diversity in the way that they attack. But at the end of games, the Celtics will be able to strangle the pace and it's going to become about picking on matchups and there's no doubt that Donovan Mitchell is gonna have to go toe to toe.
Speaker 3: With those guys.
Speaker 2: The key there is, though, is like hand the Calves get so for instance, I'm one of the reasons why I view in that series is more of a coin flip, is like the home court advantage piece, Like what if if the Calves win Game one or Game two by fifteen eighteen points and it doesn't come down to crunch time, they could put themselves themselves in a situation where like if they win two games like that in a series, then Donovan Mitchell might only need to out execute the Celtics and crunch time you know twice, you know, Like that's really the key to me is like I think if the I think if the Calves are going to beat the Celtics, they need like a couple of those games to be like run like between game one, two and five, they would need to win two of those games by like ten fifteen points, because I think it'd be I think it would be really difficult to ask Mitchell to out execute Tatum four times in a series in a crunch time, you know, slow down type of game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: All right, guys.
Speaker 2: That's all we have for tonight is always be sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting us and supporting the show. As mentioned tomorrow, we are going to be doing our series preview on Pacers Calves with Carter Rodriguez tomorrow night Live after the final buzzer of Lakers Timberwolves. Don't forget, we're also doing our first hoops tonight after show on playback, So make sure you guys get down there on the to the link in the description and head over to playback and get signed up and get subscribed to our channel, Jampack Day for the show tomorrow. We'll see you guys in the morning, what some guys. As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting OOPS tonight. It would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review.
Speaker 3: As always, I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: Supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I'd really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: The volume