Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insider's podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 1: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our Sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell. Welcome back into Sixers. In sixty Matt Murphy and Nick stauskis set to be joined by Sixers Team Reporter and our Sixers and sixty and seventy six Ers Insiders co host Lauren Rosen in just a moment. Thanks to Matt Manark for producing tonight. Before we get to Lauren from Brooklyn ahead of Sixers and Nets for a fifth place currently six Ers team back to ten games over five hundred. They've got the Nets, They've got Memphis at home, the New Orleans Pelicans at home, and then an interesting two game set at Madison Square Garden Sunday and Tuesday to play the fourth place New York Knicks. Again, that could change by the end of March fifth here on this Sixers game day. But before we get to Lauren to talk about what the latest from Nick Nurse is surrounding Tyrese Maxi and the team, plus some Tobias Harris talk off thirty one and twenty eight point games, we want to air some of an exclusive preview here from the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast with the coach, Nick Nurse. We just had a chance to catch up with him and have some different types of questions really away from the court, So we're gonna get to some of that, and then there's more on the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast soon, So make sure you're subscribing if you're not already subscribing to that. But here is Lauren Rosen sitting down with Coach Nurse.
Speaker 2: Coach Nurse, welcome into our podcast setup amazing, let's start here.
Speaker 3: Coach. What's the best part of your job?
Speaker 4: Best part?
Speaker 3: Best part of your job?
Speaker 4: Love the competition.
Speaker 5: I think getting it going out there every night to compete, to try to win is what we live for, get up for, and that's why we do it.
Speaker 2: What's your best memory or your fondest memory with the Sixers thus.
Speaker 5: Far, fondest memory with the Sixers so far?
Speaker 3: You can do something recent. We can go back to Fort Collins.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 5: There seems to be a post game ball giving thing that was really funny.
Speaker 4: That had to do with had one ball or something like that. Other was really good.
Speaker 5: I don't know a lot of those are the A lot of those that were pretty fun Tyrese's first fifty was pretty cool. They had another fifty. We didn't have to give them a ball from that one. Joel had the seventy. That was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Ye, you hit a memory for me. I believe we were in Orlando.
Speaker 2: I believe Ricky and Turk both played for the first time. Joel was to give a game ball to both of them, but perhaps only had one ball.
Speaker 4: Does that That's right?
Speaker 5: That was that was That was Okay, that's exactly what happened. I think we were We had two guys to score their first NBA points.
Speaker 3: So those are cool moments the game cool.
Speaker 5: There's got to be some cooler stuff than that, though, to be honest with you, I mean.
Speaker 4: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Like like I you know, I grew up with like doctor J on my wall and stuff, and just just like sometimes thinking man coaching the Sixers.
Speaker 4: Like you know, the first couple.
Speaker 5: Of games and you're going into the arena and you're like, this is this is pretty cool?
Speaker 6: Really happy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty cool.
Speaker 2: You're hosting a hypothetical dinner tomorrow night. Okay, you can invite four guests, Okay that are alive, people you've met, people you haven't met. Who's sitting at the table with you?
Speaker 4: Four people?
Speaker 3: Four people that are alive.
Speaker 5: Oh man, these are always such trick questions.
Speaker 4: Let's see here.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I love Prince and I never met him, so i'd bite Prince. He's obviously not with us, you know us I've never met who had a huge impact in my life was Michael Jordan cool?
Speaker 4: Obviously I grew up in that era.
Speaker 5: I was studying the Bulls as a as a young coach. I've never met him, So there's two I could think of. How about another really cool basketball person but not in basketball.
Speaker 4: How about Jack Nicholson?
Speaker 3: Okay, love, right, that's a pretty good crew.
Speaker 4: So far, of those three.
Speaker 3: We get one more seat.
Speaker 5: I only get one more seat. How about somebody really famous and powerful?
Speaker 4: How about like, let's get one. Let's talk about Michelle Obama?
Speaker 1: Love?
Speaker 3: You needed a woman at the table?
Speaker 4: Perfect? Right?
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: It's awesome. I'm excited. Great, I'm excited about that dinner tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So follow up question, what are you guys eating?
Speaker 4: Well, I love pizza more than anything. I don't know if I could convince all of them to be That.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a heck of a pizza party. Yeah, I'm with it.
Speaker 2: What's the best gift you've ever gotten someone?
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think, Well, here's one pretty good one.
Speaker 4: I think I had this, had had this in my possession.
Speaker 5: I owned it Fender cherry wood, red white guitar, muddy waters cool, and.
Speaker 4: I gave it to my nineteen twenty year old son.
Speaker 5: Now for a housewarming gift moving into his dorm, his first college dorm.
Speaker 6: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: What's I had to chase that up with an amp this Christmas? A really cool amp from anyway.
Speaker 5: So I'm sure everything else in them that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: He can play. He can be awesome.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Lauren Rosen with coach Nick Nurse. The full conversation at the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast soon, so check back there. We will hear from Lauren and do our road check in from Brooklyn ahead of Sixers NETS and talk about Tobias Harris as well along with Nick Stauskus. But before we do that on six Ers in sixty, let's have a listen to some of my rapid fire questions with none other than be Ball Paul A rapid fire round on seventy six Ers Insiders the seventy six Ers Insiders Podcast with b Ball Paul Paul Reid. Your favorite superhero? Spot him if you didn't play basketball? I already know the answer to this. What sport would you play?
Speaker 4: Football? For sure?
Speaker 1: This is one you haven't been asked by us. What would your name be if you were at DJ? What would your DJ name be DJ Reazie. Who is the vet who made the biggest impact on you as a young player.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with PJ Tucky.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite place in the world to visit.
Speaker 4: Right now? Is between Jamaica and Miami.
Speaker 1: Where is somewhere that you haven't been that you would like to visit?
Speaker 4: Hawaii?
Speaker 1: What actor would play you in a movie?
Speaker 4: And Denzel Washington?
Speaker 1: This needs to be a specific time on the clock. What is your favorite time of the day right eleven? Why about to go to fleet? You feel me around that time? You get to just chilling bed, watch your little show just Chiller. What is your favorite color Sixers uniform?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Which teammate would you bring with you to an important family dinner?
Speaker 4: Important family dinner.
Speaker 1: Trying to impress people?
Speaker 4: I might bring mat Mix.
Speaker 1: There you have it from DJ Rezi aka Paul Reid aka B Ball Paul. Thanks to him for giving us some time. I'm Matt Murphy with Nick Stauskis the NBA VET and we go now to Lauren Rosen, the Sixers team reporter and Lauren the Dallas to Brooklyn road trip for the Philadelphia seventy six Ers. Paul Reid and the Philadelphia seventy six ers and coach Nurse who we heard some of yours sit down with as well. What is the latest from coach Nurse not Nick?
Speaker 7: The latest latest is the starting lineup. I'll run through it super quickly. Able to buy a parents, move off a campaign Kyle Lowry as of just moments ago. Campaign was of course questionable up until this point, as was kJ Martin. Both will be available tonight if you asked about the trip as a whole, and obviously down Tyreeksmacsi for the second half of the trip without mild concussion as were diagnosed today. A huge bummer for this blog, but of course good to know that Tyree's is going to get the treatment that he needs and be ready and be back as soon as as possible. That's really good Win in Dallas. I know you guys have already touched on it, but an absolute grill to wash that one, for sure. It's some good takeaways to come out of the trip as well.
Speaker 1: Interesting now that Payin is back in the line, so that will be the starting backcourt with Kyle Lowry and we've got the Brooklyn Echo Lauren a little bit. So as we get ready for game time, any any other closing thoughts on Tobias Harris after the twenty eight points at Dallas.
Speaker 7: Well, listen and you can tell me if this sounds better. It does, right, So I try to find a better spot to chat with you guys. But Tobias Harris has really been awesome over these last few games. And my biggest takeaway is the face that his teammates have had in him when I asked questions about Tobias this great performance of late. Nobody is surprised that he's been as strong as he's been thirty one twenty eight, playing offensively, really sharp and quick, and then of course holding it down on the defensive end as well. None of his teammates are surprised. They say this is Abias that we know Coach Nurse prior to the games. You asked about Coach's media availability. He said prior to the game that he never worries about Tobias Harris coming out of a slump. It's sort of external folks that worry a little bit more about how Tobias is going to rebound after a tough one. But he's been awesome these last couple of games. His teammates are fully behind him. They appreciate him as a leader, and it was cool to hear Tyrese Maxey, Kelly Oubre Junior Buddy heeled wh's a new teammate of Tobias to say, Yeah, We're not surprised to see him play like that. We know what Tobia Parris can do well.
Speaker 1: It's the run end of a back to back that sends the Sixers back home after this to play Memphis. Lauren, we know you are busy. Thanks for joining us on the Comcast Business Hotline. We look forward to your coverage. Everyone should follow at Lauren m Rosen, I'm sure they all are already, and thanks for your fun chat with Coach Nurse as well. I look forward to the full episode dropping soon.
Speaker 7: Always appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 1: Allow Matt Murphy and Nick Stauskas back with you on Sixers in sixty closing out the show here in the Dallas game and Tobias Harris both I mean one and the same essentially because he played. He followed up a thirty one point performance against Charlotte at home with a twenty eight point performance against Dallas. What did you think about the win in Dallas and about Harris's play over the last two.
Speaker 6: Well, I think, you know, he had been struggling.
Speaker 8: Tobias had been struggling a little bit over the previous couple of games, and you know, you fast forward to you rewind to that Hornets game, and he had thirteen points in that first quarter, got three threes to drop. And for any player, whenever you're going through a slump, that's all you need is you need.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you just need one.
Speaker 8: Quarter to see the ball go through the basket and regain that confidence a little bit. And what I like from him is he didn't do anything outside of the offense. He found a way to get easy buckets by back cutting, you know, moving without the ball, coming off down screens, coming off pin downs, and that's his game. And so now on a night like tonight, maybe with you know, some guys up, maybe he has to be a little more aggressive in one on one situations. But the game against Dallas, what I really liked specifically was he had one play against Dante exem in the second quarter where hessed them out of his sh Well, I mean it wasn't that so you know a lot of people won't remember this play, but he was at the kind of free throw line area posting up and he was going off the dribble and exhim cut him off, and he got rid of the balls, passed it to Kyle Lowry at the top of key, and as soon as he got rid of it, he like backed up a little bit, regained his position, and then demanded to get the ball back, and then as soon as he caught it, went right back at Exum like I think, went to his left hand for a little like ten foot pull up and hit it.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, you could just tell he knew the spot.
Speaker 8: That he was going to go to, and he just had that confidence, like, look, this is a no brainer. I know, I know how to get to my spot, and I'm going to raise up and shoot it. And when you're playing with that kind of confidence and you assert yourself in that way, your teammates will follow. And I think that's why, you know, going off of what Laurence said, they're not surprised when they see him do something like that because he's asserting himself and he's confident with it. So you know, hopefully he continues that here tonight. I know the Sixers are going to need that.
Speaker 1: I of course was thinking of the Tyrese Maxe on Dante Exum step back three, but both of them helped lead the Sixers over the Mavericks for a one to twenty one to sixteen win on a Sunday afternoon most recently as we speak right now. But the reason where we were speaking to Lauren and Campaign is starting in the backcourt with Kyle Lowry is because of a mild concussion for Tyrese Maxe, which was ultimately sustained in that play with Derek Jones Junior against the Mavericks. So even more of a scoring need for Tobias Harris as the Sixers enter the Brooklyn game, and then they have a back to back against the Memphis Grizzlies as well. But Nick, we spoke earlier about Jeff Dalton Junior, who's in the mix. It's good that Campaign is back available, who missed the last game in the Sixers backcourt rotation due to an illness. But Jeff Dalton Junior is the newest six Syne. He was playing with the Blue Coats, the Sixers G League affiliate. We've been calling a lot of his games. He missed most of the Showcase Cup season with a foot and ankle mid foot injury, but he came back for the regular season. He's been playing good ball, and he earned a two way contract with the seventy six ers. So we've already said we like his game. Why well, you.
Speaker 8: Know, he's really taking advantage of those opportunities in the G League, you know, with the Blue Coats, and every time I've watched him play, it's his poise out there.
Speaker 6: I think, great combo guard.
Speaker 8: He can go in and get buckets when you need him to, but he can also be the guy distributing, you know, playing the pick and roll, finding the roller, making the right reads.
Speaker 6: But he's deceptive with it. I think a lot of times I look at.
Speaker 8: Him, Oh, he can't really you know, he can't really elevate, but yet he's getting his jump shot off whenever he wants. He's not the fastest, but he's get into the rim at will and you know, finishing with both hands through contact.
Speaker 6: So there's been a lot of impressive things.
Speaker 8: And obviously when you get to that next level, it's not like the Sixers are going to look for him to score thirty in the game, but it's the ability. The ability is there and the confidence is there as well. So for him, he just needs to carry over that same mentality, same confidence when he gets these opportunities. And again it's the beauty of two way contracts in the NBA.
Speaker 1: He has. Most of his NBA playing experience was for Nick Nurse last season in Toronto. Good in the mid range, He's been a good three point shooter above forty percent in his three plus seasons in the G League. Eighteen point six assists, four point three assist to turnover ratio, leading the G League for the sixteen to eight Blue Coats this season. Turquavion Smith is also with the Sixers for some depth as well ahead of this NETS game, But on the way out the door, Nick, some trivia for you, courtesy of Basketball Reference. Last time we did this, you went three for three. Who has the most seasons with two hundred plus blocks A de kembe Mtumm b Mark Eaton, See Hakim Olajauan d Kareem Abdul Jabbar.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with de Kem Matumbo.
Speaker 1: Hakem twelve seasons with two hundred blocks. Who had the most assist in their first five seasons? Oscar Robertson, Isaiah Thomas, Magic Johnson or John Stockton, John Stockton, Oscar Roberts four thousand and seventy six for his first five seasons. I think that's all we have time for today. Well, we'll have to do the third one on our own time.
Speaker 6: That was an underwhelming performance.
Speaker 1: He'll bounce back like you did the last time. Nick Stauskas, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Thank you. I appreciate it, Matt.
Speaker 1: Thanks to our producer Matt Menak for Lauren Rosen and Nick Stauskas. I'm Matt Murphy. This has been six Ers in sixty, which is Tuesday nights at six live on ninety seven to five The Fanatic. If you've missed any player or coach interviews this season, subscribe to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast. Thanks for listening.