Speaker 1: Hey rain Drops. Yes, so I finally got merch. That's right. You can buy your Allegedly and my Boys mugs, T shirts, rain Drops, hoodies and T shirts all on Carlos Kingshop dot com. That's right. Get your hoodies, your T shirts, and your mugs all on Carlos Kingshop dot com. Welcome to Reality with the King. It's me Carlos kings the King of Reality TV and one of the most sought after executive producers in reality television with over ten years a production experience. Twice a week on Reality with the King, we'll sit down with my friends across the entertainment industry, recap our favorite reality shows, and revisit unforgettable moments that we are still talking and tweeting about. Hey rain Drops. On today's episode, The King Reunited and it feels so good. I am here with my personal friend who I am obsessed with. I love him dearly. He's a fellow journalist. Hey, Portia and Honey. He is the quintessential journalist that not only knows everything, he knows the stories, and just like me, he loves all the girls. Give it up for Damn Cronkite aka Dany Quinn.
Speaker 2: Hey, Carlos, so glad to be here with you.
Speaker 1: As always, I am so happy to be here with you. You're one of my closest friends who I love, love, love, love love, and we have a lot to talk about, So let's just get right into it. OC is on fire this season.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's real good, Dave.
Speaker 1: I cannot get enough of it. I want to inject it in my veins like my vitamin D my my, my K one. I want, I want all of the medication that is the OC. So why do you think this season is like so freaking good?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that it's a case of all the ladies coming to work. They all showed up ready to work, ready to do their jobs, ready to participate. I feel like Emily and Gina specifically are now operating on a level of where they've really shown that they are actually, you know, full time players here and they're participating in the best sorts of ways. Of course, Tamra, I think elevated everyone's game last season. Heather is having a great season so far, and of course, you know, Shannon is just soaking up the stardom in the midst of the of the storyline. Everywhere, so it's working. I think on a lot of levels. There's good villains, there's good drama. It's pretty crystal clear for everyone. And I think it's I think it's why it's doing so well. It so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I agree with every single thing you said. So when it comes to Shannon, let's have a real conversation. I mean, wow, I mean, I think that's the only word I can use describe what I'm witnessing to come to Shannon. The fact that here we are talking about her ex boyfriend suing her for seventy five thousand dollars, although three hundred and seventy five dollars of those was spent on his Parragamo shoes. Right, So you know, what do you do? What do you what do you make of that? Because I had John Janssen on my podcast with Alexis Shannon, you have to come on my podcast too sweetpee to you know, answer their questions. But what do you make of that? Is that a bitch move on John's part? Or hey, if you owe the money, honey, pony up.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I would ask do we have a problem when when Vicky sued Brooks to get the money back for the teeth that she paid for him. I think we were all really supportive of that move in the same way. So I'm not really sure what the issue is in this case, you know. I think that Shannon did something where she's talked very openly about the fact that she paid for a lot of John's life in the beginning of their relationship, and I think that that's more of a Shannon problem and that's a John problem. Like I think that that's really in my experience with Shannon and John, my experience, you know, knowing her, she is somebody who really throws money at people. She likes to pay for things, she likes to treat people. That's the way that she shows her love and her affection. And I think that she got frustrated with that for a long time because she was the only one doing it. I get it. I was in a relationship where I was constantly doing one thing and the other person wasn't doing that, and I started getting frustrated about it too. But I never asked for that, I never exp it back, and until I started asking for it. Once I did, then I started getting it. I think when Shannon started vocalizing to John what her issue is that's when things changed in their relationship. And now they weren't even dating when he gave her this money, you know what I mean, Like they were no longer together. So I can understand why he feels frustrated about the fact that all of this is going out there. It just feels like there's pieces of the puzzle that is missing in the narrative of what we're seeing on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I agree with that because, I mean, sony five thousand dollars is a lot of money. Yeah, you know what I mean, that's I mean, I need to understand exactly what that money was being used for, Like, do you have a clue exactly what the sort of like things he was doing that warrned it seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: It was definitely the plastic surgery was a big part of it. And then I think the other money was too, perhaps float some other expenses that she was dealing with. You know, she's been open about the fact that her company isn't really making money and she's floating that still and that's at a loss, you know, other expenses that she's dealing with in her life. I think that she needed his support on and he was there to help her. He was also there, I think, you know, after the accident. I think he housed her for ten days and took care of her after her duy. So there's a lot more that I think John has done than we really see now. At the same time, I have so much compassion for what Shina's going through. We went through breakups similarly this year, her and I, and if my ex was on you know, we started a job at People magazine Dayton one of my coworkers, i'd have an issue with it. It would be upsetting to me, and I really feel for her and what she's dealing with. But this situation, you know, from what we've read and what we've reported on, she had agreed to give the money back, but had required that he signed an NDA that he not know disparage her at all. And I think that that was a big point of contention for him, because she obviously has been disparaging him NonStop, right and he at that point hadn't said anything. So I can understand why he wasn't interested in signing that. This idea that it's extortion, I can see that, but I don't really think it is. I don't really think he's trying to extort her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, listen, I don't think he's trying to extort her either. I think at the end of the day, is what you said. If someone loans you money to get elect of plastic surgery and you choose not to call doctor Debreu, Like, what's the do you know what I mean? Like, what's the point of a friending habit of debro if you can't use her husband for the plastic surgery at all?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Like like hello, talk about a discount that I need, you know what I mean. So the fact that she decided to get this plastic surgery, again, that's her business. But it's still money that was given to you and if and that's again that's a lot of money. I don't see it as extortion. What I do see it as is this. I think John is fed up. I think John is fed up with Shannon running with his narrative that he did not contribute to anything, because, again, based on what Emily and Gina and Heather has said, Shannon always told these ladies that she pays for everything. That's that's and pretty much that John doesn't pony up nothing. And I think John, being a man, maybe his egoist bruise. I think he's fed up with Shannon having a platform where she gets to talk shady about him whenever she can, and I think John is trying to teach her a lesson. Now with that being said, is that right? I mean, I'm not the judge or the jurid that's a camera but but intended. But I do think a large part of his grievances and not accepting the settlement is because he is fed up with her and he's trying to teach her a lesson. And sadly, and this is where I am on Shannon's side, I think the timing could not have been worse considering she is going through the aptomatic.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. And I have to wonder whether there's any sort of I don't know anything legally, but was there like a timeline that you have to sort of file by a certain time. Is there a statue of limitations where he wouldn't get it, because I don't really understand why he filed. In the midst of all this, John has oftentimes talked about the fact that he wants nothing to do with this and wants to be out of the spotlight sort of thing right, but this only makes him more of the storyline. And listen, you have been in this business for a long time working with these women. The house husband is a thankless role. Okay, you don't get paid. First of all, nobody's coming into your pocket, so you're not getting paid. And I remember talking to John right when he was dating Shannon, before he ever appeared on the show. We had dinner and I the three of us, and I said to John, listen, if you go on the show, it's your job to smile and shut up. It's to say and when Shannon complaint complains to you, oh this one, I hate this one. I hate that one. You say, I'm so sorry you're going through this money, and you smile and you shut up, right, and you're just there to support her and not really get involved. I think the best house husbands that we've seen over the years have really followed in that path. And he made the mistake of running his mouth a little bit, and now I think he's desperately behind the scenes trying to control something that I mean, the toothpaste side of the pace thing right. You can't get it back in it's done, so you just kind of have to let it be. And I understand that people really struggle when there's a perspective, a perception of you out there that's not true to who you think you are or how you think things played out. But certainly Alexis coming in and sort of being the spokesperson for him is not going well.
Speaker 1: We have to talk about that. I like Alexis. I think Alexis great television. It's not going as well as maybe she hoped it would because the only thing that they're showing her talk about, right is John is Shannon. And when it comes to Alexis, Listen, I don't like the fact that if there's a video of a ring camera where Shanna is doing something while she's drunk, I do think is very tasteless to not only show it, I think it's takes lists to threaten to show it, dude, know what I mean. I don't like that you can't kick a woman while she's down. And listen, Shannon made the choice to hop in the car inebriate it' that was her choice. She obviously is paying the consequences for it, right. So, and we'll get to the other half in the second about her containment drinking. But I think the notion of threatening to show a video or even telling the women you have one, I just think that's.
Speaker 2: Like, I completely agree. I think it's totally low and she does not deserve that. And listen, I mean this whole thing, this this episode where the women were sort of surrounding Shannon and saying, it's too much that you're going through this. It's too much that this is happening. A lot of the things that have been said in confessional from Gina and Emily being very supportive of Shannon, like it, you know, it sucks that she has to deal with her ex, her ex boyfriend new girlfriend on the show. That for me is so interesting because all those complaints are not really about Alexis, and it's they're more about the show, right, Because let's be honest, Alexis is not hanging out with these people because she likes them. She's hanging out with these people because the network and the producers cast her to be back on the show. That's why she's in this friend group again. And allegedly that all happened well before she was dating John. The timing couldn't be worse, but all this to be set allegedly as you always say. But all she said is like, I think it's so fascinating that they're really talking about the show itself. The complaint is about the show. It's too much that she is here, that this is happening while the cameras are rolling on the show, and that is something that I feel like is getting lost in the translation with the viewers. They seem to really hate Alexis for the fact that she's there. But she's not there on her own will. She's there because they hired her, right, you know, she's not like she's just it's not like Tameras. It's like, yo, Alexis, come hang out with me. It's like, oh no, this is my job and I'm showing up to work today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has a contract. Like, she has a contract. She's getting paid to be there and listen, she's doing her job. So I don't understand the Alexis hate in the sense of she's there to work. It's the same reason why some of these viewers hate Tamra. Tamra is there to work, you know, like it's that simple. So when it comes to Alexis, she's there doing her job. Now, with that being said, I do think listen the perfect world for me. I would love to see a scene where Shannon and Alexis have a one on one and I would love for Alexis to say, look, as a woman and a mother, I just want you to know I have sympathy for you, like I don't wish this on anybody. Obviously, you and John are going through your situation and starting today, moving forward, I'm not going to involve myself like I want her to do that, but I'm not sure if that's ever going through.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you a question, as a producer, do you think there's a producer saying that to her? Like Alexis, maybe you should come in and say this.
Speaker 1: You know what I would This is the thing Alexis is firing off all cylinders, like she's coming in like a bet out of hell. Like when I look at Alexis, I look at somebody who, Yes, she loves John, and we're not going to take that away from her. But I do get the sense too that somebody is putting some gas, you know what I'm saying in her chamber. Yeah, but okay, yeah, I feel like I feel like there's somebody who's pushing her to do it. Who that person is I don't know, but she's so fired up. And if you are to be seen as this Chris, you know, this god fearing woman, then for me it's sort of like, can we at least see a little bit of sympathy out of you because we're talking strictly about Shannon and Alexis. Unless I'm wrong and I missed it, Shannon has not said anything disparaging about Alexis, and I feel like everything is about John and Alexis is reacting base on the things that John is saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not working in that sense. It's so strange, and the viewers are really anti Alexis. They really really hate her, and I think it's interesting. I mean, I'm paying attention to a lot of that because when it first came out that Alexis was dating John, I remember being online and everyone was like, I need Andy in the camera. I can't wait to see what shan Shannon's will lose it. This is going to be incredible, Like people were salivating to see it, and now it's so interesting that they're seeing it. They have so much sympathy for Shannon and so much hatred for Alexis, even though this is what they wanted. You know, you have Megan McCain saying how mean she is and Melissa Perraic Griffin dissing her on the View, like people really are anti her, and I don't. For me, I don't understand it. It's like, this is what you wanted, this is what you were asking for and had been asking for for a while. I remember when Lisa Retta was on Beverly Hills and they were begging Nicolette Sheridan to come on the show. I remember when David Bador got remarried and they were begging for her wife, the new wife, to come on. Oh see, Like the fans seemed to want that, right They rallied behind Sweet Tea when she came on and married to Medicine and they had to watch her with quad. That's sort of what they want. But now that we're in it, we don't seem to want it. So I guess I don't really I don't know where to place the blame. Is the blame on Alexis, Is the blame on producers? Is the blame on the network? Where did this all go wrong that the audience is so unhappy?
Speaker 1: Yes? Well, good question. The audience doesn't know what they want, they get it, do you know what I mean? Again, it's the same audience who did not want Tamra and we had to deal with a season without her, which was it's news. So it's one of those things I always tell the audience. At the end of the day, you want to be entertained, and it is okay to have strong feelings about somebody. But when you have those strong convictions, it's because you are invested in the show and the storylines. So without that, you are left with the OC two years ago, which was unwatchable. And then you guys not only begged for Tamar to leave, you guys beg for her to come back. And now that she's back and she's in Shannon's ass this season, you guys are also wanting Tamra to go. So what is it that you want? Do you want to watch a show where Heather is in her Beverly Hills home with her kids and Josh Altman like, I'm not trying to watch that every week. I think it's great to see it. I like seeing Heather's wealth, but I like to also see these women have real conversations and what Shannon is going through is real. Speaking of which, when it comes to Shannon's sobriety, right one thing you and I are are are definitely on the same page as you can't tell somebody how to operate when it comes to their own sobriety. You can't force someone to stop drinking. Everything has to be in that own person's line, right in their own poson's time. I've said this on the show before. Listen, when it comes to Shannon, I'm not here to judge her. I'm not here to tell her to stop drinking. That's that's a choice she has to make. When she showed Ether that picture of her with the blood on her face, it stopped me in my tracks because it was so it was so disheartening to see it, and it was jarring to see, but it was also sort of like, I guess for me, I was sort of like, I don't know, Shannon. I think this picture, if in my opinion, could be seen as a wake up hall of like maybe there is something there to where the two drink minimum may not be the best for her based solely off of just like seeing that that photo. Where do you think Shannon is.
Speaker 2: Spoken to her about this a lot? And you know, she really still maintains that she did not have a drinking problem, does not have a drinking problem, that it was a picker problem, shout out j Low, that it was a picker problem, that she felt like she was focused on the wrong people. Now, she wasn't with John the night of her duy up until the end of it. You know, she had been out drinking prior to that, and then went to his house and then got into the accident afterwards. She didn't drink at his house. So the alcohol I think she was three times I legal limit. That was all before John was around. So there's clearly a lot stemming from her anger towards him or whatever was happening in the relationship at the time, or whatever she was dealing with. She was self medicating, that's what she's all said now. Carlos, I am eleven years sober. Thank you, very recovering alcoholic. I am active in program. I am very grateful for my alcoholism and very grateful for my recovery. I have been in lots of meetings before, I have done this for a long time. You definitely are right in saying you cannot tell someone that they have a problem. They have to come up with that on their own, and I think that Shannon is working through those feelings on her own and she has decided she doesn't have an issue. But I want to speak a little bit to Tamra and sort of the anger and the hate that she's getting as well, because I've been in so many meetings with so many addicts who have talked about the tough love that they have gotten from people in their lives that have actually really helped them and opened their eyes. And the audience again seems to be very loudly saying, you don't kick someone when they're down, You don't do this, You don't speak to someone like this, you can't. And I agree that it's really harsh what we've been seeing from Tamra, But I just want to say, as an addict, it's not the worst thing to have someone talk to you like that sometimes that sometimes it could be really helpful to open your eyes and clean things up. I spoke to Tamra and she said that she had a deep conversation with Shannon allegedly, and after seeing that photo, also talk to her about listen, I think this is a rock bottom moment for you, and you know, maybe this is the eye opener that you need, and that Shannon said all those things to her that yes, I need help, and I realized I can't keep going like this, YadA, YadA, YadA. But then days later was talking negatively about Tamara allegedly and saying, you know, I don't have a problem. She has a problem, and Gina has a problem, and all these other people have problems. Right, So I can see where Tamar's frustration comes and where she's put down this boundary to say I'm no longer dealing with this with someone. There's a lot of complicated emotions, and we all really see it so black and white, right, But I'm here to say, like, there's so much gray in this. And I have been in rooms with addicts who have done way worse things than Shannon the door and have had people who have allowed them to do that over and over and over again by always keeping the door open, and they've really harmed a lot of people. And I've had other people who I know who've had families cut them off and it has given them the wake up call that they needed to get help. It doesn't seem to be helping Shannon in this case, but I also don't. I don't. Just as like I don't judge Shannon for her drinking, I don't judge Tamra for putting down that boundary.
Speaker 1: I could not agree with you more. Everybody situation is different. There are people who are alcoholics or addicts who need tough love. One thing I said about podcast to Dave is we have to understand that Tamra has seen more than we have seen as viewers, and I think that gets lost on the audience. Right, they were on tour together. They've been best friends for I think about a decade at this point, if not longer. They Tamra have seen a lot. They talked about talking on the phone every single day. Tamar knows a lot, and I think Tamra's delivery, Yes, it is sometimes darring, but I think you we have to take a step back and realize they were best friends and Tamara knows more than we would ever know. And she is choosing to go this route because the other route did not work like the Vickie route. Right is Oh, she's fine, She's okay, it's all good. Libra alone Again, that's Vickie's reality. I think that was Tamra's for so long and it didn't work. And I think Tamar is showing tough love because sometimes that's what you need. The biggest thing is going to be what Shannon feels she needs. And my hope for Shannon at the end of the day is to quiet and drawn off the noise and sit with herself and really ask yourself the tough questions and do something about whatever results come after having that. I really want the best board Shannon. I think we all do. And I think again, when I saw that photo Dave, I was like, Yeah, this is deep, this is deep, and hopefully that is her rock bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's really taking it seriously in the sense that I can see that she knows that what she did was wrong, that she's taking responsibility for it, that she's really being very hard on herself. Which is a big part of this, I'll just say is through my own addiction, it's it's a big that guilt, that shame, that that anger that you have internally is really difficult to deal with. It took me a long time to forgive myself and I'm still working to forgive myself for certain things I do. I did rather in the height of my addiction or my my issues. I would also say that a big part of the Progress Through program is working through a very important stuff of making amends to the people in your life who you've harmed through your addiction, through your actions. And again, I'm not saying that Shannon has a problem, that she's admitted that she has a problem, but I am understanding through Tamra's lens that if she feels like she's been really harmed by being on the phone with somebody constantly who is talking to you about the depths of their depression and their problems and their and there, and they're perhaps constantly inebriated, and you don't know what to do and you Tamra had said that sometimes I'd hang up the phone and it would take me hours to fall asleep because I'd be so nervous she could hurt herself. What's going to happen? Right, if you're living with that much panic for a long time and you're not able to ever get someone to say I'm so sorry that that harmed you, and I'm I'm trying to work with you. It's I understand why it's hard for that person to move on. I've made amends to people in my life who have said I don't care what you did sucked and I'm never going to talk to you again. And I've had to lose friends who just said no, I refuse, I refuse, and that it's hard to live with. But the men's process isn't something that Shannon is really doing with Tamra, and it's something that Tamra needs that she doesn't even I think know how to ask for.
Speaker 1: Who. I hate to interrupt, but stay tuned for more. This is reality with the King, and I'm Carlos King. Let's get back into the show. I think Gina is having the best season. Honey. I call her Gina all Meade, Gina Oppenheim. I call her Gina Tutor. Shout out to Tracy. She is the real estate agent to the star. He suld be on selling the OC. I am loving I.
Speaker 2: Am too, And again it's something. Look, I've always loved Gina. She's my Strong Island sister. Uh shout out strong. I am shout out Long Island as they like to call it. I have her presence on the show. You know. Again, there's a lot of interesting things. She's somebody who seems to be tuned in and working and you know, look, she maybe in my perspective, for gave Shannon a little bit too quickly because of the years that Shannon was sort of going in on Gina. I'm sort of surprised that she was able to move past it so quickly. But it shows who she is and what her character is, and she's going through something in a relationship that I don't think we've really seen on Housewise before, and I think it's an interesting dynamic that I enjoy watching play out. I don't know, I mean, there's a lot this season that's happening, and I'm curious about what those conversations were like with Katie behind the scenes before Katie showed up. I'm very interested what comes out of the reunion.
Speaker 1: What do you make of Katie? Because I was gonna go there next, but let us go there now? What are her thoughts on her? Because I I told the rain Drop give me a few weeks, a few episodes, until I really am able to, you know, give her, and then.
Speaker 2: Last week you gave that feedback. I'm not just I'm not just a participant in Reality with the King. I'm also a listener. I'm a date one Raindrop. I'm the president of drops.
Speaker 1: Yes you are, Yes you are. Katie is giving all on one season one of the Baby. I'm not sure, but Dave, what do you think? I hope it's Katie.
Speaker 2: You know. When I hear Tamra say that she feels like Gina set her up, I do kind of wonder whether she was a little bit set up to fail, whether you know, Gina had those conversations with her early on to say, oh yeah, bring this up, Oh yeah, that would be good, and then sort of left her out to dry. It sort of maybe feels like that from what I'm sort of reading between the lines the edit. But that's also on her right, you know, It's like you got to know not to just be a parent. It's difficult. These housewives now come into a show that already exists, that they've watched for years. They're aware of sort of how they need to act and what they need to do, and I think that a lot of them struggle to just be themselves. I like, in the past couple of episodes that think have been seeing more of her personality and I'm sort of enjoying that, But I'm not yet sold on whether she's making it one or two.
Speaker 1: I think, based on this recent episode, she's a one season wonder I and that's no shade to her as a as a human being. I think when it comes to the OC is such a strong cast. I think Jen is such a strong OC housewife who I enjoy watching. I'm I'm so intrigued by the dynamic of her and Ryan, her ex husband, the dependency on her father, I'm I'm I'm investing in all things Jin Katie. I the personal story I see it. The thing is this, when she's on camera, she doesn't shine like she's She's not somebody where you instantly are drawn to her. I think at best she could have been a friend of Maybe she fits better in Beverly Hills because she's Sutton's friend. In real life, I just don't think she fits this strong group of women where you have Emily, you know, reading Jin for about and Rolex and telling her to get a fucking job. You know what I mean. You have Jin who is giving you everything. You have Gina whose best season this is. You have Heather who's having a great season, who's talking about the you know, inclusivity when it comes to like her children, but also being the you know, the snobby, bougie OC housewip that we love to watch, and you have Tama Bing, Tamara, Shanna Bing, Shannon. You know so, I think in honor of my favorite Deshney's child record the writings on the wall for Katie, and I think you're a bugaboo that is not going to be a survivor. And as I lose my breath, I want you to know you are an independent woman and you're going to have to get another job to pay your bills, bills, bills.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have to tell you. After that, I'm feeling so good, so good, so good.
Speaker 1: Shout off Candy bars who.
Speaker 2: Because now we have Katie as an example of Noela. Do you think that it's a very white show? Do you think that the more diverse housewives who've come into OC haven't been able to sort of find footing for some reason because of that?
Speaker 1: Yes? Have you been to the OC? It's not honey, I've been to OC several times. I have always been thy black persons at the restaurants. OC is not diverse. It is New York City diverse, right, Like, that's why we have a multicultural cast of New York City. Right, Let's have a real conversation. OC is not the most diverse town in the world, and I think it's just hard to find a group of genuine, real friends that have history that also speaks to that town. I think again, the reason why Jen works is because Jen gives me oc. Gina gives me oc. Yes, the long am accent, but it's like she's still represents to me. I think when it came to Noela, I like Noela. I think Noela was too dehydrated to be normal. I think she has so much potential, but I think she was beyond thirsty. I think she tried so hard to make a moment and it didn't work for her. Not to mention the husband left her for the whole thing, she.
Speaker 2: Needed a better producer.
Speaker 1: In my perspective, yeah, like she had it, so I would say I think Noela would have worked, But it's Katie to me based on these episodes, and if I'm wrong after the season, I will do a retraction. Okay, As of today, I just don't think Katie is a reality star. And I think it's okay to say that you are a beautiful, great wife, mom woman when it comes to a reality star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the way, that's a huge compliment sometimes because it's like, congratulations, you're not nuts.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah. Her husband seemed like such a nice guy. He seems so. Her daughter is beautiful, and so I guess the great mom. Her daughter is like well rounded and just so like cool and chill and smart. I don't see it. I don't see it. I just don't see it.
Speaker 2: Carlos, I have a question for you that I've been dying to ask you as I've been listening weekend and week out, and it's as it's the producer, Carlos, that I'd like to speak to the reality with the King host. So for years on the show, we have talked about the fact that Shannon has a drinking problem, right, other women have said it before. We've been watching the you know, roll the footage, We've seen the montages for dealing with this thing. Now she gets into this big dui and she comes back and she really wants to fix things. I'm curious, as a producer, you're in the production seat and you're watching somebody in this how much responsibility do you feel to sort of guide her in the right path. And I'm also curious what you think the network feels about this, especially in the reality reckoning world. Do you think that they feel as though we want to give Shannon all the tools we can for her to succeed and sort of redeem herself in the midst of this really terrible thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's a very good question. As a producer, you want the best for your cast and it's a fine line of following the reality, and it's a fine line with stepping in the reality because you can't get in trouble or even trying to do the right thing right. So let's just say, for example, you see a cast member doing too much, the right thing is to tell them to stop, right like, hey, stop, you're doing too much, or you have too much a drink. How about you pause for a second. But then the the reality star can't turn around and say that, you know, you're accusing me of something I didn't do. You're embarrassing me. You know that's not whatever if you can get in trouble for that too, it's a very fine line. I think everybody involved because Shanna has been on that show for so long, I think everybody involved in that really wants to see her do well. And my belief is that she has people who work on the show who may say to her, take care of yourself. I do believe that because there's so much history with her, Do you know what I mean? It's one of those things where you will be a heartless person to work with somebody as long as Shannon has been on the show, and one thing about the OC, a lot of those producers have been on since day one. I would be shocked if not one producer have said to her, hmm, maybe you shouldn't. That's why I will always go with is that person since choice, and you can work to guide them in the right direction. However, when you are a producer, it is a fine line because you don't want the backlash from the reality star saying you're making them feel uncomfortable. You know, you don't have a problem. Who are they to judge you? Are you not even judging them, just saying like, maybe you've had enough. But again, it all depends on if that individual day is ready to receive that sort of FEEDA.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point because as you're saying this, I'm thinking of people who I want to see redemptions for who don't seem really willing to feel that yet And so we haven't gotten there yet with them. But I totally agree with you when you're saying that it's all fascinating. And I say this, of course with nothing but love and respect for all of these people. You know, I always say, it's the hardest thing in the world to do this show. I would never want to do it. If you threw a glass of wine in my face, I'd apologize you. I'd say, I'm so sorry that it made you throw a glass of wine in my face. I don't know what I did. Like, you have to really put your life out there in a way that I think is hard, and you were obviously judged by the audience at every turn, and it's difficult and the network, I think, in these days, this question of their personal responsibility into what's happening is a hard thing that I think, you know, we haven't really discussed as a generation. If you think about reality TV is only twenty five years old, basically.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, that's for the for what it.
Speaker 2: I mean, the real world was before that, but Survivor is kind of what pushed it into the cultural zegeist and what we call modern reality TV. And there's still so much to explain and to understand and to unpack when you think about the long term effects it has on people. So it's changing every day, and I think the network still understanding. Would the network these days film a housewife getting evicted from her house like we saw a few seasons ago in the OC in the beginning of Days of Doc. Would we feel that anymore? Or is that something that would be too personal and too hard for Sack? I don't know. It's like there's so many things that I wonder when we look through it in the lens of twenty twenty four, what we would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Listen. Reality TV has evolved to the point where there is a responsibility that you have, right especially when you see how someone appearance on the show is being, you know, perceived in their own life. It's definitely an eye opener nowadays because you have social media, Like there's so many eyeballs, not just the viewership, but there's people on social media who are now able to tell you how they feel instantly. And regardless of how many times you tell a reality starting not to read the comments, they're going to read it. You know they're going to read it, and they're going to call day and complain todave about why what did I do? Why do people hate me so much? Or or you know, it is what it is. I beg you, so I think.
Speaker 2: I beg them not to. I beg them. I said, you can't listen to any of the negative comments, and you can't listen to any of the positive comments, ignore them all. I beg them. My dream is that every reality star would be banned from having a social.
Speaker 1: Media no for real, Like you know, you know, the one woman who I love that gets a lot of hate, Giselle Bryant does not read a comment, doesn't care. She's not on Twitter, she posts her pictures or TikTok, and you've never seen her have a social media argument with a troll or a fellow cast member. She ignores it all. And I really do implore a lot of reality stars to at least try that, And I promise you you would have a much pleasant time while this show was airing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree. I tell them the exact same thing when it comes to Gazelle. Championed her for that, and I took her own advice. I deleted every one of my social media pages about a year ago. I've been living without it and my life is a lot easier. I'm not stressed out about what people think about me, or I'm not comparing myself to anyone else. I'm just sort of living my life and it feels really nice to not have to worry about that sort of thing. And I implored people on social media to recognize that you're not seeing everything and that react to the things that you want to react to. I understand you have opinions. I want to hear your opinion. That's my opinion. We get it. But like there is a line. I think it's saying that somebody should kill themselves. You know, it's saying somebody, yeah, the worst people are they should lose their jobs, or they should rot in hell, or their daughters should never speak to them, like things that are just kind of gross. It just makes it's just for me. It says so much more about your character than it says about theirs.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Reality with the King. New episodes drop on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Share, comment, follow and subscribe to Reality with the King. Wherever you get your podcast, visit realitywthe King dot com and be sure to follow me at the Carlos King underscore on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and yes, Baby, my YouTube channel where you could get all of my visuals, baby, my expressions yet and don't forget tweet me your thoughts and hot takes about this episode using the hashtag Reality with the King. Reality with the King is a production of Kingdom Ragin Entertainment. It is produced by Sierra Spragley Rix An executive produced by Me Carlos King, King the Rain Entertainment Babe