Speaker 1: One of the things I'd mind most about the president is there are traditional nineteen sixties forms of masculinity, but this is a bloke who's really willing to look at another man and say, I think you're handsome.
Speaker 2: You're beautiful, Yeah, you're beautiful of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The work week may be over, but the economy it never takes time off. I'm justin Wolpher's and this is off the clock unwinding the week's economic years. There's no one I would rather do it with than my good friend, superstar economic journalist Stacy Vanix Smith.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Justin. I'm very excited to be here with you once again. I am a calmnist of Bloomberg Business Week, co host of the podcast Everybody's Business, and as always, extremely thrilled to be here with you talking economics on a Friday.
Speaker 1: What else we could do at the end of the week, he so, what are we gonna do? We're going to pick through the recent economic years and we're here to tell the folks at home what you should actually be concerned about, what you can safely ignore, and maybe along the way we can find some silver linings. Stacey, We've got to packed episode, so strap in. We're gonna start off with the latest round of tariffs. And forgive me if you think you've heard this episode before, it's actually a new episode. It's a different round of tariffs. We can talk about what makes them different, what makes them more of the same, why maybe these are going to stick around, And we're going to dig into the FED. We're going to go and talk to Handsome Kevin and see how he's doing over there, and then we'll get back to the most recent GDP numbers. GDP stands for gross domestic product, not gus d platypus. These numbers came out on Thursday, so huge week for economics. What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Stacy, Absolutely, and don't forget Justin. At the very end of the show, we're going to have a little bit of a competition. It's chart versus chart. I don't know what possessed me to say yes to this, since you're an economist, you spent all day looking at charts. But I said yesterday and I think I'm gonna win. I think I have the chart to end all charts.
Speaker 1: I mean, the thing is chat versus chat. White for this that wrongs with art versus art because a good chat is art. You have the comparative literature genius. You have that entire rights out of the brin so I reckon you have you thought about your colors?
Speaker 2: My color is like the color of the chart, Yeah, the art of the chart. Yes, and I stand by the color that I chose.
Speaker 1: Well, so minoring a platypos economics theme.
Speaker 2: Oh, mine are in the theme of the that the government put them in. But I still stand by the right and beige.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Let's get into it. Tell me Number one.
Speaker 2: Tariffs all right, justin So, Okay, a lot has happened with tariffs since we last talked. I know you've done a bunch of videos about this already, and I'm very excited to kind of break things down with you a little bit. I was wondering if kind before we dive into this, you can kind of lay out what is going on with this leadst round of tariffs, as well as also the kind of the Canada specific tariffs that also happened. Can you kind of just get us up to speed economically speaking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So to folks at home, strap in, because there's a lot going on, all of it highly informed after decades of careful research by one of the most thoughtful administrations in our nation's history. Stacy, do you guys have sarcasm in Idaho?
Speaker 2: You know, Idaho is a more of an earnest place, Okay, and I have often been accused of being too earnest, But I live in New York, where sarcasm is just the you know.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it the Idaho treatment. We have had two sets of tariffs by an administration that has an approach that it believes in, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again. And so I feel like President Trump has been talking with your father, and so after his first round of tariffs has ruled unconstitutionally, came back with a second round of tariffs that actually just hit its xpery date. And now we're up to the third round. And I'm sure your father, being a true American, hates Canadians, and so he's got an extra round of tariffs to just really have a go with those terrible people north of our border.
Speaker 2: Definitely does not heed Canadians. I forgot Comedians.
Speaker 1: I just went back to sarcasm again. I'm not very good at earn all right, Okay, let me try and explain what's going on. The starting point is two starting points. The president loves tariffs, he has a theory about why, and the Constitution says that the Congress owns tariffs. So the problem with that is if the Constitution says you've got to go to Congress, there's actually, by the way, it's not a problem, a very nice opportunity. And this is Idaho earnest where he could just go to the Congress and he could say, I've got a really good idea, why don't we have tariffs, and they'd pass a law and then we'd have the tariffs that have gone through this system of government, and there'd be checks and balances, and our related politicians would all weigh in. I'm just a bill from Capitol Hill. Can you sing that for me, Stacy?
Speaker 2: I mean no, but I know the song said you can't do that to people.
Speaker 1: I'm just a bill, bill from on Capitol Hill, and I didn't grow up at America, so I don't know the rest. Okay, that's what he could do, but he doesn't like that because he doesn't like bills, doesn't like Capitol Hill, or they don't like him. So what he needs to do is he needs to find a time in the past where Congress has said said, you know what, we want to give the White House this power of a Tariff's first attempt was to say it's an emergency. But the emergency powers that didn't use the word tariff, and there's not an emergency. The Supreme Court said all of those first deliberation day tarifts for illegal were paying them back.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 1: He says, we're in the middle of a balance of payments crisis. Hey, fun fact, the United States the balance of payments right now is zero dollars. It's been zero dollars for many decades in a row. The balance of payments always balances when your currency floats. That's one for the one for the textbooks right there. Anyway, that was a power that says he's allowed to impose tariffs for six months. The sixth, the last day came up, and all of a sudden, he discovered and I'm now going to be sort of Brooklyn sarcastic if I may, he discovered a deep or maybe I'm being Odaho Earnest, a deep and abiding passion for the worlds oppressed people around the world who are enslaved in forced labor, situations, and there's nothing the President cares more about than that. What he is discovered is that there's a power where if the United States faces some form of unfair competition, he can levy tariffs. So here's the theory of the case. We're now putting tariffs on Australia, on Canada, on the United Kingdom, on every country, on eighty countries around the world based on this forced labor. Now, no one is saying Australia has forced labor, which is good because we don't. What they're saying is Australia is a bit sloppy and might sometimes import some goods that involve forced labor, and then they might export those to America, and it's unfair that American workers have to compete with Australia, which might accidentally occasionally use forced labor. By the way, it doesn't look here's the real problem. When a grape comes across a border, it doesn't actually say produced with forced labor on it, and so it's very hard to figure out what's going on. Okay, So then the President has put tariff's on eighty countries based on the theory that they're a bit sloppy and policing forced labor. It's great that he does that. What this It's transparently obvious that this is not actually about forced labor. Almost every country faces the same tariff of ten percent, some get ten percent or towven half percent. The difference is if you're less sloppy on forced labor, it's a very small incentive to actually care about the issue at all. So that's now in place. Surprising by the way it a place to eighty countries, you might say eighty what's going on there? Or slightly over eight sixty economies when you include all of the euear that's going to be eighty something. You might say, way, only eighty something one of all the world's countries. Will They discovered with Liberation Day that if they try and list all the countries, sometimes they make mistakes, like the Herd and McDonald Islands home to penguins, which they put very severe tariffs on home literally only to penguins. And so by.
Speaker 2: Focus, I feel like the penguins had it come.
Speaker 1: In they did. Son's a bitches always trying to outdress the president, miss business casual and what is a penguin where they think.
Speaker 2: They are in tuxedos. Of Yeah, that's very funny, Ustards.
Speaker 1: That's where we're at. Now here's the weird thing. It might actually be legal because not a lawyer. Basically, the law says you have to find evidence of unfair competition. So then what you do is you open an investigation and you investigate. And you'll be very surprised that when President trumpass Howard Lutnik in the Department of Commerce and the US Trade Representative to investigate whether something he hopes is true is true, they come back and say it's true. But the courts tend to give that a great deal of difference. They think, well, presidents wouldn't just make things up. They do very serious investigations. So it's very likely that these will turn out to be legal. So all of this very long story, they say, we used to have tariffs around about ten percent. We now have tariffs around about ten percent. How excited are you about that, Stacey?
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. I mean, it's interesting that there's been so much movement to stay the same. It's like a duck, you know, it's like sort of sitting on the surface. It's like the one constant is that we have tariffs and that the sort of feet underneath the surface or the reason for the tariffs. It's really interesting that it's sort of the result its results oriented and not process oriented. It's also interesting to sort of hear it from this perspective because I hadn't actually really thought about it from this way. But it's just like, I want to put tariffs in please by any means that I need.
Speaker 1: To, you know, And I think that's a critical part of the economics of this. So the President actually had a theory of the case. The theory of the case was going to be I'm going to use tariffs as leverage, and that's what he did with Liberation Day. He would point at the Brits and you say, here's the tariff coming for you. There's any one way to get out of this, and that's to come and kiss the ring and offer me some concessions. They pretended they came to a deal. They didn't.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: That's a different story for a different day. But that was the idea. Now here's the thing. These tariffs come out of an investigation. The investigation have found every country except America is a bit sloppy when it comes to forced labor. Now, when President Trump called the British Prime Minister. First of all, it's a different blowke answering the phone now. But secondly, he can't point at him and say, unless you do a bunch of favors for me, this is your tariff. These are basically uniform tariffs and they're based on this false idea, which means the President now has no when to be clear about that, no leverage against any individual country. So what's happened is the President says I want tariff stumps his feet, tells his lawyers to get them for him, and they got them for him, but they're not the ones that actually do the job he wants to do, which is a rather way of saying, I know this is going to be studying. This is the dumbest set of tariff yet.
Speaker 2: Wait, he can't individualize them.
Speaker 1: Nope, why not because it's based on a legal foundation. The legal foundation is unfair competition from this particular country, and that legal foundation comes from the Commerce Department. Having done an investigation and having found that every country is bad on forced life.
Speaker 2: Couldn't you say, like, oh, as it turns out the UK isn't as bad as we thought, but Australia is still super terrible, So we can keep Australia's tarif simply and und So.
Speaker 1: At some point you might hope that the lawyers. This is where I'm glad I don't have a law degree, because then i'd be a lawyer, but one might be required at this point that you're absolutely right. There must be some way that you could pretend your whole way there. But as far as I can tell, he doesn't really. At some point the courts are going to say this is utterly preposterous. You just met with the British Prime minister and he slipped you a bottle of whiskey in a gold bar. While of a sudden, do you think that they're good on forced labor and so? And you could even if you weren't confident of my theory there, And to be honest, I'm not because I'm not a lawyer. You can actually see it in another way, which is the President is not making phone calls. He has not called the British Prime Minister, of the Korean or the Australian Prime minister over and said lets negotiate over this. So the White House is already acting as if these are tariffs that just are going to exist no matter what you know.
Speaker 2: One of the things I find really interesting about the fixation on tariffs is to me, it's it's sort of a testament to the power of the American consumer, because like US consumers, like essentially US buying stuff is not only like one of the most powerful forces in the country, I mean, it's most of the US economy. It's a hugely powerful force in the world. It's like sixteen percent of the global economy. And I think he figured this out, that this is this powerful weapon that people are so like the whole world's economy seemingly has become so dependent on the American consumer that to threaten to cut people off from that or to compromise that is just it's a huge threat. I mean, it's tantamount to like a weapon, and it's a weapon everybody's scared of, and you can just kind of wield it at will. But it hurts us too, I think absolutely.
Speaker 1: When you cut off the access of American consumers to foreign markets, that hurts folks in foreign markets and American consumers. But what's great, Stacey, we found something we disagree on. You have actually, I think very well described the view of the administration. We hold the American consumers perse strings, we can hold the world to ransom around that. You've actually heard that very explicitly from Stephen Miller. In fact, he gives numbers. Here's the thing that Miller misses. So if you look at consumpt the share of global consumption that comes to American consumers, you just gave a number. I'm sure it's right. The American economy is definitely a large one, but it's also one of the most closed economies. Closed means we trade less than other countries do, and so our share of global consumption is good, but our share of how much are we consumers on the gloves global market is substantially smaller. And you know, so I think our trade share of GDP is about thirty percent. It can be you know, twice that in other countries, which means that the weight of American consumers is large, but their weight in global markets is half as much. Because the truth is, folks from Michigan buy stuff from Idaho. They don't need to buy it from Ireland. I'm thinking about potatoes. And because we're so big, we're doing a lot of trade within US across states rather to cross countries. That's one of the reasons you think about US as being a somewhat closed economy.
Speaker 2: I mean another thing to consider is not only maybe are we not hurting other countries as much as we think we are, but I feel like we're hurting ourselves. I've talked to a lot of businesses and about this. I mean, there's consumer prices. I think that's one place where it crops up. But another place where it crops up is especially small businesses just oftentimes are not operating with the time the profit. And in fact I spoke with there's a small business, Burlap and Barrel. They are a spice importing business. They're one of two small businesses suing the Trump administration. They sued over the first set of tariffs, and one a few hundred thousand dollars, and now they are suing again. So it's owned, it's co owned by Ori Zoharan Ethan Frish. And so here is what Ethan said about kind of where the cost of the tariff's lands for his company, Burlap and Barrel. They they're a spice company, so they import from dozens of countries.
Speaker 4: I think this year already we've paid like what like three hundred and fifty thousand dollars in tariffs even more. And so this was this was it was really meaningful. What we ended up doing is cutting costs wherever we could. And so that ended up being in like how do we cut costs on packaging, how do we cut costs on shipping? What ends up happening, I think a little bit ironically or counterintuitively, we realized is that the place where we could cut cost was not unsourcing the spices because they don't grow in America.
Speaker 1: It was in our cost in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like not hiring when they would have hired someone and other things like that. So it's hurting the US economy and of course hurting their business and the profits that they can make.
Speaker 1: It makes a really important point there. And you know, I haven't been polite about the Trump tariffs. I'm not going to start now. I might have called them dumb. Another way in which they're dumb is they're across the board on every product. So if you had a rationale for tariffs that you wanted to bring manufacturing back to America, then maybe what you would want to do is tariffs specific the sorts of manufacturing that we're more likely to do. The joke I used to tell, I'm going to tell it again. So now the joke I do tell is, you know, tariffs on bananas are not going to bring banana factories back to the United States. And that's his point about spices. These are spices that literally aren't grown abroad. They literally cannot do what the President wants them to do. And so I think this comes to somewhat broadery issue, and I want to be thoughtful and careful about this. I think the current moment is telling us that the administration's policy isn't working. You might be drawn from that to conclude tariffs don't work. And even though I am not in favor of tariffs, I want to be more careful than that, because what we've had is a particularly poorly designed set of tariffs. This set you can't negotiate country by country. They're across the board, not product by product, and then they're particularly chaotic. They're on on Monday, off on Tuesday, on on Wednesday, off on Thursday. And the chaos then means that no one's going to adjust their behavior around a new law that just passed that's going to get unpassed. The very next day. All of those things are actually end up maximizing the harm that the tariffs do and minimizing the benefit. So, look, I can believe there's a world in which smart tariffs are smart. I'm not sure it's true, but I could believe it exists. But there's no world in which dumb tariffs are good for us. And so if you're a pro tariff person, I think the form of the argument you would want to take going forward is the real problem is and we have we haven't tried smart tariff share, and I think there's something to say that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Another thing that kind of came up in the very beginning of our discussion is just all of the instability around it, because if you're a bit trying to operate a business, it is really hard. I mean, the tariffs are changing all the time. They're legal, they're illegal, then there are new ones that are that expire, now there are other ones. So one of my very favorite conversations about this happened with the seafood company. They import seafood from all over the world. I think they import like hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of seafood every year. But margins are really thin on seafood, and obviously timing is really of the essence. So I talked to this guy, Nate Torch. She's the co president of Sense, which is a sixty year old seafood importer. I think you will enjoy what he said about tariffs, although there's a lot of like not very funny truth in this.
Speaker 3: We're dealing in eighty million pounds of seafood a year.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of strength.
Speaker 3: And so I'm just a little microcosm of the real world global economy and imports into the United States. But it is not making stense and I don't know what my cost is going to be on containers coming in, and it's unreal. It's unfair. The fact of the matter is, I can tell you I don't know if I should scratch my watch or whine my ass right now.
Speaker 1: You know I'm going to scratch.
Speaker 3: Operate a business and not know what your costed.
Speaker 2: Anyway, which I really I feel like that is stuck with me all this time, because you know, for small businesses, it's just what do they do? Are the tariff's legal or the illegal? I think the instability maybe as damaging as the tariffs themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, what a colorful turn of phrase. Doesn't know whether to scratch his watch.
Speaker 2: I'd never read that one before.
Speaker 1: This is how I can till you've moved on from National Public Radio, Stacey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I never would have. Yeah, I think ours would have been right out.
Speaker 1: Do you want to just get a few hosses out there? Just because I bet you've had several decades.
Speaker 2: I'm all sat but I appreciate that. I might take you up on that later in the show.
Speaker 1: Ah, you're worried about your dad and night Idaho, aren't you? He raised your right. That's what I love about you. Hey, look, I think it's actually a real Let me add one more piece of the fire. Because what you were talking about there was uncertainty. I don't know what's coming down the track. It makes it hard for me to figure out how to do a business. But I want to mate another word. It's actually conceptually distinct. It takes a moment to understand why it's distinct. Is tariff confusion? So tariff certainly is. I know what it is today, but I don't know what it is tomorrow. So I don't know. You know what crops to sew? What raw materials to get how many people to hire. Tariff confusion is a different beasts. Tariff confusion is well, I need to make a decision, but cracky, I don't know what the tariff rate is. And I bet your bloke has a bit of that. And I tell you why, I know that's true because I do. So here's the wee thing. Let me just confess this to folks at home. I've been following this issue like right on edge, I bet you have two Stacy. And then occasionally I find myself on twov and someone will say, well, tell me about the latest set of Canadian tariffs, and iody be like, yes.
Speaker 2: It's like which tariffs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think there was a new set of Brazilian tariffs the other day. And then there's the tariffs that are announced that the president forgets as well. And the interesting thing is if you think about tariff confusion, if a tariff rate of ten percent is one thing, but instead you think if you think, well, the tariff rate is somewhere between zero and twenty percent, and I'm not really sure, that's a different form of paralysis. And if what you do is have a rule of thumb, like I reckon. Whatever feels bad is what it is that might lead you to overrespond. There's a very interesting piece of research about this, We might try and do some more on this soon, which suggests that confusion believing tariffs are high when they aren't is actually the worst of all possible worlds. You believe they're high, so it distorts your behavior, but they're not, so therefore it acts like a tariff, but they're not high, which means the government gets no revenue. So you know how I talked earlier about the dumbest form of all tariffs. This is literally the dumbest to believe there's a tariff that's not there. There's no revenue, there's no bargaining power, and there's no nothing. But the good news is we can move from talking about dumb things to talking about handsome things. Stacy was not particularly handsome in the years.
Speaker 2: Today this week, I feel like you might have like a small man crush on Worrise. Is this wrong?
Speaker 1: I think everyone does. I mean the president does. He said he was from Central Casting, when it's true. And you know, the President's got two Kevin's and he needs to keep track of them. And I one of the things i'd mind mudged about the president is there are traditional nineteen sixties forms of masculinity, but this is a bloke. He's really willing to look at another man and say, I think you're handsome, You're beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're beautiful.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that we need more of that in our central banking. So obviously, justin one of the big pieces of news this week was interest rates, better Reserve met and handsome. Kevin came and addressed the nation talking about what was going to happen with interest rates. What happened was exactly what was expected, which is interest rates didn't move. They weren't raised, they weren't lowered, nothing. But it caused all all kinds of drama and roiled the markets because of like the kind of nothing that it was, which was, like, there are twelve members of the FED that vote on interest rates, and you get to see how many FED members, you know, vote one way or the other, and there were three people who dissented, and all three thought interest rates should go up. Talk to me a little bit about this, because I was I found this so strange because exactly what everyone expected to happen happened. Nothing happened with interest rates, but the fact that three people disagreed was just seen as really concerning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me add one more facts. So you're right that what people thought would happen happened. But actually, if you look at markets, there's a betting market on what the Fed's going to do. It's called Fed funds futures. But you can think about it as culchhi for the Fed if you want. They said there was a seventy percent chance that the Fed would do nothing, a thirty percent chance that it would And you might say, oh, that seems like they really had a view, But actually, normally before the meeting, it's like ninety nine to one. Normally over the past few years, Jay Powell had done such a good job of letting people know what's going on that the actual meeting was often really boring, which is really bad news for you. Stacey's an economics journalists, because you have to breathlessly report we knew this would happen, and it happened. But great thing about business journalism is that's a great headline. So this was quite uncertain. Now a bunch of reasons for it to be uncertain. I think the two big ones are Actually it's kind of hard to know what to do. I genuinely have sympathy for my friends on the FED. The second is handsome Kevin. He's the strong, silent type. He believes that the FED should stop talking, and so normally Jay Power would let out a bunch of what was that, mate?
Speaker 2: Oh, I said, The man crush deepens.
Speaker 1: Certain Yes, absolutely, I mean.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the handsome.
Speaker 1: Kevin and me. No, No, it's good because the thing between handsome Kevin and me, it's not intellectual. It is purely about the aesthetics, because I don't actually agree with him on that much. So you know, man crushes can be purely of that form. Holy smoke. You know, sometimes I get invited to like Jackson Hole. I'm going to be like in a room with handsome Kevin and he's kind of like raise his eyebrows at me, and then his staffers are going to run over. You're making my life going.
Speaker 2: To be handled. You're going to be handled, I think, Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: The President and I both think he's got unbelievable boyish good looks. Okay, so he doesn't talk, and as a result, none of us will know what's going on. Okay, let me come back to what you said, which is the bond market had a meltdown. You have to be a real nerd here, and so the timeline really matters. At two pm they released the decision. The decision was we're not going to raise rates. We thought it was a seventy percent chance before the fact, and the truth is markets who are just like, yeah, who cares. That's also when they announced that it was seven to three, nine to three the vote two point thirty is when Handsome Kevin begins his press conference and what followed, and this I don't want to make generalizations about handsome men, but it was utterly vacuous. Handsome Kevin had said, we will defeat inflation and I'm going to do absolutely nothing about it. And it was incoherent.
Speaker 2: I had a hard to hand following it, and fed speeches are difficult to follow often, but this one I really I did. I watched it, but I couldn't. Yeah, it felt a little inscrutable, inscrutiny.
Speaker 1: If I knew what that was, I would agree it's I couldn't follow it. And he was like, what we're going to do is we're going to listen to markets, and the only way we listen to markets is by not talking. And if I stop talking, then people in the bond market will stop caring about the FED. That's wrong, Handsome Kevin. People in bond markets still care what the FED does because the FED sets the overnight interest rates and that's really important for the pricing of longer term bonds. But it used to be that they would care about the FED, and the FED would tell them what the FED thought. Now folks in bond markets care about the FED, but the FED won't tell and that's created a lot of volatility. But it hasn't solved this problem that now the market can speak to the Fed more clearly, not in any way that I can at all understand. And then there were my favorite parts of the press conference when he would be asked a direct question, You know, inflation is high, will raise it interest rates help solve the problem? I can tell you. You can just pick up your favorite economics textbook, and I bet I know that it's Stevenson Wolfers and the answer, by the way, it's on the final you better know the answer. The answer is higher interest rates help reduce inflation, and he sort of says, now I've got a committee looking into it. This didn't feel like a confident leader. This felt like someone who campaigned for the job with a bunch of talking points that could please both country club Republicans and mega Republicans. But he's just repeating them now and it all felt very empty.
Speaker 2: Is that what got everyone's so upset that his speech didn't clarify anything? Is that more so than the three dissenting boots?
Speaker 1: Yes? And the way I know that is because market's got upset at two thirty when they've heard the vacuus, not at two when they heard that a sense. So you have to be watching minute by minute bond yields as people love to do during their summer vacations. It's not so One view is that sound evacuous? Another view is handsome. Kevin has said I'm against inflation. And if you remember, the concern before the fact was was this sock puppet Kevin, the guy who's going to do what the president wants? Or was this hawkish Kevin the guy who hates inflation? So what's happened? He gave a really good press conference after the first meeting. After the second one, he said, I am hawkish Kevin. The way he said that was we will defeat inflation.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember, and everyone was very reassured.
Speaker 1: Right, he didn't say how. He didn't take a single action. He's appointed committees. This supplow could be great at a university. That's what we do when there are hard problems we don't want to solve a former committee, absolutely committee of profoundly learned people. And so what this raised, though was okay, so we didn't actually do anything. He didn't raise rates where the situation might call for it, and he sounded lightly incoherent in defending that. And there's a little faint echo. I don't want to ever stated that. There's a faint echo of wait, is this sock puppet Kevin? And if it is, then we've lost fed independence and that's what really matters. So saying I'm against inflation, look mate, everyone can say that. Doing something to show that you're against inflation, that's what the markets were looking to hear, and they didn't hear anything like that at all.
Speaker 2: So was the fact that he didn't say something that made sense that the markets got worried that maybe he doesn't have a plan. Is it that he doesn't have a plan or he doesn't know what he's wit. We just don't know which Kevin, we're going to get okay.
Speaker 1: So one problem is that markets, when I say markets, believe markets said the only thing I actually see is a graph of prices. So where personifying something that's not quite that way. But I do think part of its incoherence. But I also think part of it's like if you say one thing, I won't do anything, then I'm not sure I believe at all. He didn't reassure them that he was committed to reducing inflation. Now there was an easy way out if what he wanted to do is keep interest rates low and make it clear that he was going to keep inflation low. What he would have says, I don't think I'm ready to raise rates now, but if the following happens, I will raise rates a lot. I guess what that's called forward guidance, And that's something that Handsome Kevin has said he's deeply against. So he's boxed into a corner now and there's not much and he hasn't found his way out. There's going to be a lot of meetings at the FARED over the next few weeks, as they try to figure out how to come across somewhat more coherently.
Speaker 2: Interesting though. Yeah, I was wondering why the markets were so upset. I mean, some people did say that it was because the signal is that rates are going to go up soon, because there were three dissenters and things seemed to be kind of moving in that direction. But when I watched the speech, I didn't get much of an impression from it, and I guess that the real problem was the lack of impression.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the fact that long term bond yields rose, so the interest rate over long periods, that's reflecting expectations of higher inflation in the future, which is markets are less convinced that it's hawkish Kevin, Okay, I know your favorite thing in the world is data or data, depending which country you're from.
Speaker 2: Data, data, your data.
Speaker 1: I have had to move from data to data and okay, very hard for me.
Speaker 2: But in your heart of hearts, it's data.
Speaker 1: Now you're going to make me think about my data, and that's a sad and difficult topic as well. How about we just talk about gross domestic product.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true. Your therapist was invoked many times in the last in the last show. So I think we can. We can stay away from parents.
Speaker 1: I had to pay them a licensing fee at the end.
Speaker 2: We should bring them on.
Speaker 1: We should. He's really good and you know, actually, Stacey, I can. I can do an impression for you. Say, Stacy's the latest growth domestic product numbers for the second quarter just came out. And Stacy, how did that make you feel?
Speaker 2: It made me feel worried, really really worried.
Speaker 1: Tell me more, say more.
Speaker 2: It made me feel worried for a few reasons. One GDP is like a very it's a very ham fisted number. It's very imperfect. A lot of people criticize it, but it's kind of.
Speaker 1: A sort of like my parents flash.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's like a flash judgment, you know what I mean. It's like this quick snapshot of the economy. How's it doing? Growth at one point five percent is quite low. And what especially worried me, and I'm especially excited to ask you about.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: You know, there's been all this promise about AI that that is going to start growing the economy, and there was some talk that that's already happening. It's already improving productivity, and things like that, well, that should be showing up in GDP numbers if that's true, And the fact it wasn't really worried me. It really seemed like a signal that things are slowing down. So many mixed signals in the economy right now that it just seemed like the overall snapshot was just like not good. That's why I worried me.
Speaker 1: What about you, I'm going to agree, I'm going to blame my mother and tell you about a bad dream that I had. Uh okay, so one point five per cents of bad number not bad, it's it's not great, genuinely mediaca. And if I'd brought that home on a school report I got enough with the therapist took, it wouldn't have been good now, but I would have said to my mom, the underlying fundamentals are a lot better than that. And actually that always worked in my house holiday I did well in English and math and poorly in music and pe. Mom was always like, that's all right, justin where we knew what we cared about. And actually GDP is much the same way, which is there are some parts where if they're doing well today, that tells you a lot about how well we're doing in the future. That really particularly true for consumption and investment, So spending by businesses and spending by you and me, those actually looked pretty good. What we had was rundown was disinvestment in inventories. What does that mean? When a company can't sell stuff and it leaves it in the warehouse, that's actually called a form of investment, which for odd reasons counts as positive economic growth. And when we get less stuff in the warehouse, that's less investment than that, So that tends to move up and down like crazy. That's a big part of what's going on here. So the headline was one point five percent, but it's a little bit like the GPA was a little bit stronger than that. So look, there are two ways we have to tell stories in the modern world. One is how is this as a serious matter, and I think this is the economy bumped along genuinely moderate, fair enough. Then the other is how do we And that's the truth and that's what we should care about, But then there's our political narratives. Commerce Secretary howdnik Wod promised US five percent growth this year. One point five is profoundly less than five Now you might think maybe Howard Latinik's just not very good at numbers, and that's probably true, but relative to the sorts of numbers we've did in promise now, other thing we saw was through twenty twenty five, the numbers weren't great, and we kept being told don't worry, the good stuff's coming soon or now you know, a year and a half in, I'm less patient than I might once have been, and so things aren't that great. What do you think is driving us law down there? Mate?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm more excited to hear what you think about that than me speculating. But I'll tell you some of.
Speaker 1: The things, which, by the way, is what my therapist says.
Speaker 2: Your therapist is a smart man. Yeah, I mean, I think one of the things driving the slow down is the uncertainty that we talked about around tariffs. I think because it's not just tariffs, there's a lot of uncertainty around policy right now. The Trump administration likes kind of surprises much. I guess, like Kevin Walsh, kind of there's lots of unexpected things happening, and I know that the markets hate uncertainty, but also businesses do not like it. They don't feel comfortable. I mean, if and you think about it as a person too, if you don't know what's gonna happen, there might be bad things on the horizon. You save a little money, you kind of you're like, Okay, I'm gonna keep a little powder dry. You know, I'm going to keep a little savings just in case you're not gonna say, I think we need to open this new factory. I think we need to hire all these new people. Let's tick a chance, let's expand. And I feel like in order for that sort of expansive growth to come into an economy, and I think it could be in the economy because of AI and all the promise of it, I think all the sort of fear and uncertainty around policy things like tariffs and gas prices and all that stuff, I think that is kind of draining that some of the energy that would otherwise be going into growing the economy. That's what I saw when I saw those numbers that were in me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, so then let me give the optimist version of the story. And I do think both sides are true. I suspect you're going to agree with me on this, which is there's lots of policy related reasons to worry. There's war, there's a trade war, there's a new scandal every other day, Boom boom. Despite all that, the economy sort of bumping around with economic growth round about two percent. The unemployment rate is remarkably stable. So I think we're seeing actually a remarkably resilient American economy in the face of those shocks. That's the optimist view. The pessimist view is is building data centers really broad based economic growth and how much of what's going on is about that? And that, Stacy, is how we're going to segue to. You wanted to do art of the chart. You wanted some sort of a competition charts chart.
Speaker 2: What are we competing for? I think those pillows behind you, I am for really coveting your platypus pillows.
Speaker 1: March bet you well, no, it just you know, I just I just love the platypus. I just love seeing Gussie makes me happy. So, Stacy, that one, right, which one do you want? The white one or the green one?
Speaker 2: Like the partier one. Yeah, yeah, it's because it's like a logo. It's like the Apple logo or something, you know what, It's like if you know, you know.
Speaker 1: Just like that. In fact, that was produced by the exact same designer who did the Apple logo.
Speaker 2: Maybe I thought so I was looking at it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm willing to bet you that pillow on chart versus chart, we're going to see your couch totally totally different.
Speaker 2: So has these people going to like vote on this? How are we going to know who wins the pillow?
Speaker 1: I mean I could just judge it myself. I could say, whose child risky?
Speaker 2: And wait, what do you get if you win? You just get to keep your pillow. That doesn't feel quite right. I can send you peanut butter cups, but I think you might be set up there.
Speaker 1: No, actually I really like them. They're really good.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: If you can find me some king size races, that's your side of it done. But six of them, not just like two or three.
Speaker 2: I'll set you up for this for the rest of the summer.
Speaker 1: Oh that might need more than six months. That's going to get me through two days. But those things are spectacular. We had people in the comments so like, justin, You've got to stop going on about this. It's so obvious your advertising and I'm not it's just Stacey changing my life.
Speaker 2: That's one peanut butter cup at a time. That's what I do. I bring. I bring joy and a lot of calories into people.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's what we're going to do. My producer Megan is going to post a poll on YouTube and substack who's got the best chart? And if you don't have access to YouTube or substack, that's at Platypus Economics, then just leave a comment and Megan will make sure that she adds your vote to the most important delection of our lifetimes. So who's going first?
Speaker 2: I see, I want to go first because I do think it's quite an elegant segue out of our last conversation. Here's my chart. Oh it's GDP, what we were just talking about. So I thought it was like very helpful to take a look at the GDP journey that our economy has been on. So if you see there was Q one of twenty twenty five and look at the growth in Q two and Q three, it seems like we were like really on an exciting trajectory and then Q four and of course these numbers get adjusted, that must be said, but it just seems like if you back up from the chart, it just seems like things are slowing down, and that feels very counter to where it feels like we should be with all of this new technology coming online and making people more productive and causing all kinds of disruption in our lives. It seems like the good part of that should be economic growth, but we're not seeing that. This is why I'm worried. This is why this chart feels like such a big seismic deal to.
Speaker 1: Me, Stacy, you have made the strongest possible case that I have chart of the week, and I am so grateful that was the intro I was hoping for. Suck it, here comes mine.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: My chart takes all of our economic growth over the period you were talking about, so basically what's driven the economy since the Trump administration. So I took all of your bars and I schmushed them together. Okay, And so everage economic growth has been about one point eight percent since President Trump came to office. That's merely moderate, but at least it's merely moderate. But the thing I did, and you were making such a pasture. Isn't it important we get into AI and the AI revolution and what it's doing to GDP, and that's what I did. Sorry for sounding glueful. I just realized I'm showing my personality and I've been told that's a bad idea to hard disagree.
Speaker 2: I'm just amused at the theatrics. I feel like, if you really had confidence in your chart is superior chart, you wouldn't be you know, but that's just me anyway. Continue, So this is since Trump took office.
Speaker 1: The totals of the growth growth has been one point eight percent. Now, what we can do is we can say of the economy, there's a little tiny section, five percent of it that is investment in IT related stuff. So there's no line that says this is AI. The closest proxy is this small sector that's just five percent of the economy. That tiny sector has contributed one point twenty four percent to our one point eight percent economic growth. The rest of the economy imagine that sector hadn't grown. I want to put an asterix next to this, and it says our economic growth would have been less than one percent if we hadn't had the AI boom. And so the other way of saying this is, roughly speaking, two thirds of our economic growth has come from AI. Now I want to put two asterisks next to that, the.
Speaker 2: Data center construction, right, So this testament, Okay, yeah, there's two AI stories.
Speaker 1: One AI story is in the future, we're going to become much more productive at everything blah blah blah. So that's his productivity will grow the other stories, yes, but to get there we need to build a lot of data centers, and data centers are spending, and GDP counts spending. This is basically that version of the story, and it's saying the spending side, which is driving so much about economic strength roat now, is what's keeping the economy afloat. I have to put a second asterix. A lot of the stuff we're buying for the AI rollout is actually imported stuff, and so my red bar here is all spending on AI related stuff, not spending on American made AI stuff, and so were I able to make an adjustment for that, the red bar would look smaller. So this one's got a little bit too much dramatic effect, But the underlying message is still fundamentally true, which is the AI rollout and the building of data centers has been a huge part of the story about what's keeping the American economy afloat station. Now I think you and I can both agree it's over to the voters.
Speaker 2: Well, I did want to ask one quick question, So, like you me, all the work that we do, it's all just in the little purple bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and I just a little purple bar.
Speaker 2: I do have like one final thing I would like to say for the voters consideration, m M, and that is paper covers rock. This is so interesting and so fascinating and also completely encompassed in my chart. So I feel like my chart is really a vote for both of our charts.
Speaker 1: I want to say to people. My chart loves freedom, my chart loves America, my chart loves dogs, my chart rock family, and my chart puts a Racey's Peanut butty Cup in every part.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's it's dirty pool bringing in the cute dog for the votes.
Speaker 1: Oh den, Max, But I respect that. You know Max was actually named for economics. What do economists let to do? We like to maximize, We maximize utility, we maximize the quality of our ground.
Speaker 2: That's how you named your dog.
Speaker 1: I believe that's true. My critics would say it's just I meant to name him Max, But I don't know how to spell, and Betsy would say the dog from the Greenches style Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and he works on a number of levels.
Speaker 1: Over to the vaders, folks, there's going to be a poll. Leave your comment Stacy's chart, Justin's much more colorful chart. It's up to you. So this has been Off the Clock the Economics podcast in which we slow down, review the week that was, and try to sort out what really mattered. Stacey and I were going to be back in a couple of weeks with our next installment. In the meantime, be sure to subscribe, and just as important, tell a mate. So I found this podcast where they talk about peanut butter cups, dogs and freedom. So today you've come away feeling a little bit smarter, a little more entertained, a bit more prepared. Please tell a friend, just say mate. Let's get it done. Platypus Economics. You can find us on substack, YouTube or your favorite podcast app. In the meantime, we're going to keep on top of all of the economic news that you don't have time for. Don't forget to vote for your favorite chart, and as always, stay cries