Speaker 1: Smell us Now, Lady, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia the Meter podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on Thursday, d February twenty seventh, and we're live from met Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, joined today by Ryan Callahan and Cory Hawkins. On today's show, we'll interview Kim Titterington about sick bloated alligators in Florida. Then we'll play the Price Is Right, followed by one minute fishing with Christy Holmes and Maine. After that, we've got a hot tip off about recycled tent tarps and dip can wndicators, and finally we'll talk to Dave Ben Scotterer about hunting for lost varieties of apples. The first, cal Corey, I think we need to debrief on our travel home from the NWTF convention. It was sort of an adventure for all three of us.
Speaker 3: Oh, flying in the winter is always an adventure. I really disliked traveling through the air. I don't mind airplanes, but airports trying to get your connection it's.
Speaker 2: Just a headache. Cal let's start with you. We had an uber leaving the hotel for US three and Yannie. At what time was it? Five thirty am? Yeah? Cal was nowhere to be seen, calling his phone, uh, trying to find someone at the front desk to tell us what room you were in. I even called the hotel. Nobody answered at the hotel, so we could just like compound on your door. Cal was nowhere to be seen. Cal would happened?
Speaker 1: First thing that we need to address is I think either Phil actually has volume in my headset for the first time in a long time, or your announcer voice is just getting so much better every day. One the second one, I missed the first flight of my entire life.
Speaker 2: Really, oh, that was the.
Speaker 1: First time I've ever missed a flight. And I'll tell you in the past, in my wilder days, I had plenty of excuses to miss flights.
Speaker 2: Just a little sleepy this time, Well, I don't.
Speaker 1: I woke up like an hour before, as you do, like if you're you're anxious traveler, right, I woke up an hour before the alarm was supposed.
Speaker 4: To go off.
Speaker 1: We had another big day in Salt Lake City, so I was like, I'm going to try to sleep this extra hour, and it had just like the whole anxiety dream thing of like you're gonna miss your flight, You're flight, And then I was like, I have an alarm set the normal thing. And then I was like, bye, God, my flight is boarding right now, as I got out of bed to no alarm. Sure, right, But I made it to the airport in time to see you guys take off.
Speaker 2: That's special.
Speaker 3: We were delayed because there's light on the runway, so we were probably thirty minutes late.
Speaker 2: I felt extra bad Cal pulling away in that uber because you saved me in Philadelphia coming home from the Live Tour, because I was a sleepy head, had too much champagne the night before for celebrating the end of the Live tour. Yea, and I woke up to Cal pounding on my hotel room door.
Speaker 4: It wasn't gonna leave a man behind.
Speaker 2: Get up, let's go, we gotta go, We gotta go. And Cal saved me from missing a flight after a very long week on the road or ten days on.
Speaker 4: The road, literally on the road in the tour bus.
Speaker 2: And I couldn't return the favor for you. I devastated, believe me.
Speaker 1: That popped into my head, and when I saw the text from Spencer, I was like, I'm not even gonna bring it up.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about it the whole time. Cal I was trying to do everything I could to wake you up.
Speaker 5: I've heard her recounting of this story, and in the story, Spencer is just silent, like like you just kind of walked down, walked into the elevator, walked out of the lobby, just didn't say anything to anybody.
Speaker 2: Boy, I felt bad. I was holding up an uber outside the hotel, and then because of this lightning delay, Cory, you were running through an airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I had a fifty minute layover and then we were thirty to forty minutes delayed. So Yanni and I were on the same flight. Cali were supposed to be on that one, the.
Speaker 2: Red flash, it's what people called you to moving through the airport, so quickly get into that next flight.
Speaker 3: I was walking making it had to pee, so certainly had to make.
Speaker 6: That pit stop.
Speaker 3: And then I looked down at my watch and realized I need to run the last probably quarter mile all the way to the very end of the terminal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And the lady's like.
Speaker 2: Are you Cory like, yep, she's like you better hurry up. WHOA you don't want to hear your name at an airport?
Speaker 6: No, definitely not.
Speaker 1: I like to be Yeah, yeah, it's it's the whole thing, like air travel is just not there's you know, there's plenty of anxiety, and then you're signing up to sit in like a recycled the germ and fart filled tube for hours. Yeah, trying your best not to make too much physical contact with strangers next to you.
Speaker 2: My adventure didn't start until we were about to land. We were coming into Bozeman. We're dropping into the runway and the wheels hit the runway for about one or two seconds, and then the pilot hits the throttle and pulls the nose up and we go back into the air and everyone in the airplane was very confused. Folks are looking around each other and nobody like panicked, but you could tell there were folks that were like on the verge of panicking. If it would have started somewhere else in the in the airplane, it would have been a chain reaction. So nobody knew what was happening. And about a minute later, the pilot comes on the speaker, and he says that, sorry, folks, we had a wind shear at the last second there that was gonna was gonna prevent us from landing, so we had to pull her back up. We're gonna circle around and try this again. And so then ten minutes later, they don't just go up in the air a little bit, they like get way up again in altitude, and he circles back and we come in and we have a safe, normal landing. But he said, we had a wind she here, which is like a gust of wind that totally affected the plane and made it unsafe. But there was no wind that day. I looked on my phone it was one mile per hour wind. And so then I was on my phone also reading about like what what does this mean. It's called an aborted landing, And I had read a pilot's account saying that they have no obligation to actually tell you what happened. But that's like a common excuse. It's either the runway wasn't clear or there was a wind she here, But sometimes it's just they're coming in too hot and they made a mistake and they got to lift off again to try it a second time. I didn't even know that was an option in airplane travel, and especially with all the recent news. Yeah, that was genuinely scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Minute, We had just like a shaky flight coming back because we flew the day after you know, that collision and the plane went down the Hudson, which was you know, horrific.
Speaker 2: And was it the Hudson or the Potomac?
Speaker 4: Was Potomac?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sorry Potomac. That was a different plane in the Hudson. But anyway, yeah, folks, you know, it was just like a what to me is like a very normal winter flying amount of turbulence, and I had multiple people comment on my boy.
Speaker 4: People were very nervous, sure, very nervous.
Speaker 2: But we made it here today to host media to Radio Live. All right, let's get on the show. Joining us on the line first is Kim Titterington, the founder of Swamp Girl Adventures Reptile Rehab. Kim, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hey, thanks for having me, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thank you. First thing, tell us about the types of animals and injuries you work with at your rehab facility.
Speaker 7: So I specifically work with reptiles and amphibians, So that's turtles, tortoises, steaks, alligators, lizards, frogs, toads, you know all those fun things.
Speaker 2: And what's the we have facility right now.
Speaker 7: We have a couple of gators, We have a couple of snakes, and I have quite a few turtles and tortoises, because that's really what we get the most of.
Speaker 2: And what is like the most normal injury that you deal with.
Speaker 7: Typically it's from either hit by car, so car strikes are the most often. But then our second one to that is actually dog attacks on turtles and tortoises, believe it or not, So that's our second one. So we get a lot of both of those.
Speaker 2: Okay, and do you have any of your clients around that you could show us for the interview today.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I actually I have a gopher tortoise here on my grandma. This is gopher tortoise and you're gonna see he's got some stuff going on here. This is called the hooks and wire method. So it's not permanent. It's basically it's kind of the same stuff as a use for Nalocrylic helps keep the little clasps on and that reduces and supports the fracture so that it has time to heal. So this poor guy. He was hit by a car, but he's he's doing a good job healing right now with those fractures.
Speaker 2: Okay, And is the end goal then to have him released back into the wild correct?
Speaker 7: Yeap, as soon as he's done, you know, with all of his rehabilitation, he'll go back to the area he was found. Obviously not in the middle of the street where he was found, but as close by safely to the area he was found.
Speaker 2: Well, he's looking healthy right now. I think you're doing a good job, Kim. What's the rarest animal that you've had at your facility.
Speaker 7: The rarest would actually be the Eastern Indigo snake and they are federally protected by law. They're very rare throughout their whole eastern range. But I've actually received two into care, which is pretty rare.
Speaker 2: And what was going on with those snakes that they had to come to you?
Speaker 7: So one the first one was actually had been hit with some wawn equipment and survived. It was, you know, some nasty scars were going on there, but that one survived. And then the second one was actually a zip tie that the snake had crawled through, and then obviously it couldn't come off, so it was literally cutting into the flesh and had been there for quite some time. But that one was also successfully rehabbed and released.
Speaker 2: And what's your favorite rehab success story from Swamp Girl Adventures.
Speaker 7: You know, there's a ton of them, but one that stands out that I feel like is the most unusual and uh, it just it's actually pretty rewarding. Was one where we had a golf A snake had swallowed a golf ball, and so the golf ball. Yeah, the golf ball had to be surgically removed because it had been in there so long it was adhering to the stomach lining, so it had to be a surgery. We couldn't like just you know, push it out. But the surgery was a success and the snake was released. So that was probably one of the most unusual but rewarding.
Speaker 2: Is it safe to assume that snake thought he was eating an egg?
Speaker 7: Correct? Yeah. A lot of people will actually use golf balls or false eggs in there in with their chickens, and that helps kind to keep them, I guess, from going off into other places and keeping the eggs in one spot. But then I've also heard that people will put golf balls in there or fake eggs because then when snakes come, they end up, you know, not being able to digest it and will die later, which is kind of cool because that's a long, nasty death. But yeah, that's Do.
Speaker 4: You feel appreciated by your clientele, you know.
Speaker 7: Even though they're reptiles? You know, I think that a lot of times I get some that they realize that, Okay, this person's just kind of helping me out. I'm just going to chill. But then you know, I have those that that they don't. They're just like, just to stop touching me. I don't care, just go away.
Speaker 2: Now. The big reason I wanted to talk to you, Kim, is about this bloated gator phenomenon that you've been documenting in Florida. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so back some of the first reports that went into FWC. We're actually back in twenty twenty three, and after that it just kind of seemed like people I had seen them, but nobody really said anything, or the reports weren't going through whatever the reason, it kind of just fell off the radar. So just this year, all of a sudden, you know, I was getting as a rep caw rehabit. People are like, hey, well can you help, And I'm like, all right, well sure, you know, let me go take a look. And we captured the first one and which you can kind of see on the screen now, and she definitely was severely bloated, extremely emaciated. And then not even three days later, I got a call about another one in a completely different part of the state, in all the same bloated, very emaciated. So this is something that seems to be on the uprise, or at least we're hearing more about it now that people know to look, but definitely a concern.
Speaker 2: And Phil is showing us some photos of these bloated gators and when I say bloated, I mean like they look like a balloon. They look wildly uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this current photo is like too, like over sized beach balls coming out of each side of the gator, like like it swallowed a cartoon.
Speaker 2: Dumbbell, Kim, do you have a hypothesis for what's causing these gators to get so bloated and ultimately die?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it's one thing we were able to roll out is that there was not a physical blockage like a lot of people like, oh, it ate a ball or you know, maybe it's a plastic bag or something like that. We were able to roll that out on both these cases. Sadly, both of them did pass away. What you're seeing here on X ray is what we first saw, and it looks like a lot of stones, but what they're called is fecoliths, and it's basically when the feces turned to stone. So the feces had been in the stomach, not moving or passing for so long, possibly even up to a year with this one particular case, and then gas just starts to build up in the colon and so on the cropsy we found that basically their colons were just, you know, all distended with these And.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of this happening in other states or other countries. Not really.
Speaker 7: Usually when something happens like that, they contribute it to a piece of litter or something that's incidental. But at this point, we're seeing these cases throughout the state and we just cannot seem to find a common denominator. Yet some of the symptoms like we're seeing here, we're common, like the pecalists and those build up and then the gas, so the progression of the disease, But it's actual cause. We have a ton of labs out right now, we're just waiting on results, and we're going to be doing a lot more testing here this coming year on various gaters as well throughout the.
Speaker 2: State, and Phil is showing us an X ray there of one of those bloated gators. While most of the folks listening to this show were hunters and anglers who spend a lot of time outside, So how can we be better stewards of the land and help out the reptiles and amphibians that you work with.
Speaker 5: I think the.
Speaker 7: Biggest thing is, you know, picking up after yourself. I actually one of the things is one of the x rays that I had also sent you that gator had a lead toxicosis as well, and that was because the gator swallowed a lead weight from fishing. Now was that the actual cause? Probably not, because it seems like we're finding glueted gators that don't have lead toxicosis. It's just that was an added thing. So that's something that we see a lot in both like aquatic turtles and alligators, to any animal that might ingest something like that accidentally through phishing. Mores or things that were disposed improperly and they pick it up out of the environment. So I think those are the biggest things. And then the next thing is awareness. You know, just be aware if someone's looking for reports, like say we are on sick gators or sick turtles. If you see something that just doesn't seem right and you see it happen often go ahead and report it. You could be the first one who's noticing that there's a problem and people need to research it. So if you are out there, that's one of the best things you can do is just be aware and help make those reports and observation.
Speaker 2: Now. Kim's rehab facility is a nonprofit that relies on donations. You can support her projects by going to Swampgirladventures dot org. Kim, thanks for joining us and thanks for doing the work that you do.
Speaker 7: Not a problem. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: There's a good reminder for everyone. Pick up after yourself when you're out in the woods.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, man, I'm not going to complain next time I have one too many hazy IPAs and feel a little bloated.
Speaker 2: Those gators look so wildly uncomfortable, man, And then re seat the X ray of the blockage. That's next level stuff it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was shocking.
Speaker 2: All right. Our next segment is the Prices right here.
Speaker 5: It comes from Bozeman, Montana Media Radio's most exciting fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: It's the Prices.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, right, Ryan Callahan come on down. Yeah, Cory Calkins come on now, his second appearance.
Speaker 5: All right, course, two contestants on Meat Eaters meet and the radios the price is right. Now, here's your host, Spencer New Phil.
Speaker 2: That was Cal's first time seeing that performance. I think he's impressed.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I feel I actually feel special.
Speaker 4: Oh god, that's amazing. That's the idea.
Speaker 2: Now, this game is really simple. Phil is going to tell you about a product from the Meat Eater universe, and you need to guess its price. The player with the closest answer without going over will be declared the winner. If both players go over, then you'll both be told to try again, and the chat should play along as well, because whoever has the closest answer will get a shout out from Phil. All right, there are five products for today's show. Phil tell us about the first item up forbid.
Speaker 5: Oh, well, how would you like to scare every man? Woman?
Speaker 4: Child?
Speaker 5: And beast who enters your home. Well, we've got just the thing you. This brown bear is a half body mount that hangs on your wall. It's posed with its arms extended out as though it's getting sucked into a portal or is about to sack a quarterback. And the owner says he'll cut you a deal if you also buy his have alena shoulder mount or shark jaw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this beautiful piece of taxidermy is located in West Houston and was listed on Craigslist ten days ago. Now you need to guess its price. Phil is now showing us some photos of this half mount taxidermied brown bear.
Speaker 9: Again.
Speaker 2: I found this on Craigslist in Houston, Texas. Houston, Texas. That's right, not half that this.
Speaker 1: This is one of those things like, uh, do you have one of those roadside attraction type shops, then it's worth some money.
Speaker 4: Sure, do you live in an apartment in New York City?
Speaker 2: Well you can sort of get a glimpse into this person's home. You see a fellow there with some suspenders.
Speaker 4: Suspenders.
Speaker 2: Brant Reeves sitting in the back onto this photo. And we've got a few pictures here of this half body mount of a brown Bear in Houston, Texas.
Speaker 6: Is he trying to get rid of it?
Speaker 3: Or is he trying to make some money?
Speaker 2: It was listed ten days ago, hot, so factor that into your calculation again. You can't go over. If you both go over, you'll be told to try again.
Speaker 3: Cal really likes his answer.
Speaker 2: Really you ready, Corey? Ready, Cal go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying seventy five dollars and one cent. We have Corey saying, what's that? Say? Corey, fourteen fifty dollars, fourteen hundred with an or commas so big that it looks like a seven. Corey saying fourteen hundred and fifty dollars. That's a big swing between YouTube. Now, Cal, was that a safe answer or do you think it's actually like an eighty dollars item? Were you just trying to go under?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: I mean we all know that the taxidermy like is the most valuable to the person that got the critter or somebody related, right, and so then it like devalues greatly beyond that unless you're like a curio person, right, or like I want to have a weird hip vrbo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would fit into one of those nice We have Cal saying seventy five dollars, Cory saying fourteen hundred dollars. The correct answer is nine hundred and fifty dollars, giving Cal the first point of the day, Phil, how does the chat do fast?
Speaker 4: Math?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 5: We have three people. Get it right on the money, Cody Canadian Hunter and Ian McKenzie said nine to fifty.
Speaker 2: Well done, Cody, Canadian Hunter and Ian McKenzie. We trust that you're not googling?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if I don't know if we should trust that you're not.
Speaker 1: We remove where you found the item from your next next one.
Speaker 2: That's pretty quick googling though that You know what, if they got it that fast to put in the chat for Phil to find that they earned.
Speaker 4: It, well, don't listen to that.
Speaker 5: Kids.
Speaker 4: Cheating's wrong, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Phil tell us about the second item up forbid.
Speaker 5: Sure thing, Well, you're in your living room with the taxi turmied brown Bear. Won't be complete until you bring home this camouflage sofa from Kabbella's Snuggle up for a meat eater marathon with the whole family on this best Home Furnishing Outdoorsman sofa The entire thing is wrapped in massioak break up camo, making it impossible to spot whatever stains you might create. This seven foot sofa doubles as a recliner, allowing you to kick your feet up and relax after a long day of being a redneck.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, Phil, And that Camo sofa has a perfect five star rating from six reviews on kabellas dot com.
Speaker 4: What are those people sitting on? They're just floating?
Speaker 2: That's right, you sure think so? All right, Caln Corey, what do you think that elegant piece of furniture costs? Don't flip over your answers quite yet, or do you just ask us? Well, I'm like prompting you to write it down, but we got some time to you know, banter and allow you guys to think long and hard about what your answer is this give.
Speaker 6: The chat a little hand.
Speaker 2: Fully, Fully, camel, when I say fully camo, there's not a square inch of this sofa that is not covered in the massioke breakup infinity.
Speaker 4: If you wear the same pattern, all that's gonna show is your face.
Speaker 2: So you could you could take this thing turkey hunting and then you just wear the Massio Baker.
Speaker 5: We've got people who are definitely googling chat. I don't know who to trust anymore. Are you boys ready?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got cal saying four hundred dollars, four hundred five dollars, and we've got Corey saying eight hundred and fifty dollars. The correct answer is one thousand, four hundred forty nine dollars, giving Corey our second point. All right, Phil, tell us about the cheaters in the chat.
Speaker 5: Well, we have we have one person. Get to get it right on the fourteen forty nine up here. I don't even want to call people out now. I don't trust anybody shut the whole thing down.
Speaker 2: Did they put ninety nine cents after they did?
Speaker 5: But he's gonna guess fourteen forty nine unless they looked it up. We had some people guess fourteen fifty and a couple of people in the thirteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: I'm willing to give them the.
Speaker 5: Benefit of the doubt here, but no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll tell you right now, retail pricing is just not something I'm familiar with.
Speaker 5: Ryan Kimberl said fourteen ninety nine, ninety nine, he's got three of.
Speaker 2: Our god awesome Ryan. I love that, and I'm sorry for writing that mean line about kicking your feet up after a long day of being a redneck. I bet you're a good guy.
Speaker 1: I need to go back to used pricing. That's I'm familiar with.
Speaker 2: I bet I could find one of these sofas on Craigslist somewhere in the nation. All right, Phil, tell us about the third item up forbid.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, give me one second. I get everything lined up here. I'd love to Oh, where's the music is?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: If you're looking for a movie marathon to watch from your new Camo sofa or three, how about reaching for all forty one DVDs from Drury Outdoors. That's right, The big butt Killers over at Drewy Outdoors have dozens of DVDs for sale on their website, with titles ranging from Whitetail Madness twelve to Whitetails Extreme four all the way to white Tail Obsession seven. These videos will give you hundreds of kill shots, thousands of inches of antler, and endless opportunities to ask yourself, what the hell am I going to do with forty one hunting DVDs.
Speaker 2: Well, Phil, I'd hope those DVDs come with the time machine because that's the only way I'm watching a movie from a disc. Callan Corey. What do you think those forty one Drewry Outdoors DVDs cost?
Speaker 3: Where are we purchasing this now?
Speaker 2: From their website on the Drewey Outdoors. I think it's like store. If you want to buy the stored dot drewyoutdoors dot com, you can buy all forty one of their available DVDs. Phil, when's the last time you bought a DVD?
Speaker 4: Act?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 4: Inventory is limited?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man? Well, I mean if we're gonna count four K steel books, Spencer, I mean it's you know, four k's like super HD. But what a steel deal? But you know you sometimes, well back in the day used to buy like collectible steel books. It was it wasn't just a plastic case. It was like a nice metal thing.
Speaker 4: Though then you have never heard of this, Phil.
Speaker 5: You gotta be more. You gotta listen to more movie podcasts.
Speaker 2: So the last time you bought a DVD is.
Speaker 4: It's been over a year. I don't. I I'm really bad.
Speaker 5: You think i'd be like a physical media forever guy, I'm just not man, I'm too lazy. I just everything's on digital now, video games, movies, TV.
Speaker 4: It's it's bad.
Speaker 5: I feel guilty.
Speaker 2: How many DVDs are in your home?
Speaker 5: You think, oh, I've got a I've got a couple of hundred, but I haven't added to the collection in a long long time.
Speaker 2: Do your kids find that like like they're looking at a caveman when you grab one of those.
Speaker 5: Well, actually no, because we've got a DVD player in our minivan, so they associate DVD so this is what we can watch in the car. So they still would see see a DVD in the store and say, well, I want to watch this in the car.
Speaker 2: So let's let's pick the same thing.
Speaker 4: Which have a minivan you're rocking all wheel drive.
Speaker 5: That's a Plymouth, uh Montana Pontiac Montana.
Speaker 2: Baby, show up on a future route meeting your prices, right, Corey, Cal, Do you have your answers?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So is this the last one?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: We got five of the boys. All right, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Cal saying forty nine ninety nine, Corey saying twenty nine ninety nine. Again, that's for the price of forty one Jewelry Outdoors DVDs.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming shipping is free.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is sixty one dollars in nine cents, giving cal our third point to the.
Speaker 4: Game, a big buck knowledge for nothing.
Speaker 2: One lead you find those on YouTube. That's a dollar forty nine per DVD.
Speaker 1: Mark Kenyon's gonna get a nasty phone call from the Dreary Boys, being like Corey Colkins does not think much of us.
Speaker 2: Hey, we just I bet we sold their whole inventory. I'm being serious. Now, if I had a deer camp in like the Great Lakes region that didn't have like cell service and an old box TV sitting there with a DVD player, Uh, you best bet if you left, Yann?
Speaker 4: What is happening, Yanny?
Speaker 2: Grab yourself a whiteboard, put on a headset.
Speaker 4: What the hell, Spencer, I'm here and invite.
Speaker 2: I thought you were recording a TV show.
Speaker 4: Oh is that a fresh new lid?
Speaker 13: It is actually had Corey give it to make someone to give it to a buddy of mine.
Speaker 4: Oh that thing's charp.
Speaker 2: We're playing the price is right. We just had Cory. You got about ten minutes, all right, Grab yourself a whiteboard and a Marker Cal has two points. Corey has one point. They just guessed the price of all forty one Jewelry Outdoors DVDs that are for sale on their website. What do you think that would cost? Total total for all.
Speaker 6: Of them?
Speaker 2: Killing big old giant white Tail Bucks.
Speaker 1: If you want to know something funny about Giannis, if the text on his screen, if the font gets any larger, he's gonna have to scroll for every sentence eight.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty, eight hundred and fifty dollars sixty one dollars and nine cents. What Yeah, you can buy all the package for one. You should have these at your hunting camp in Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: You just got a new customer, Drewio nowis no, Well, we don't have.
Speaker 4: Televisions there, okay.
Speaker 5: By the way, Sean Pettitt or petit, Yes, sixty, I think.
Speaker 4: That was sewn sixty.
Speaker 2: Well done, Sean. I bet you didn't google that one professional. Yes, all right, Bell, tell us about the fourth item up forbid.
Speaker 5: Sorry to take me away. Hey, if you're feeling inspired from those forty one Drewy Outdoors DVDs, how about taking a trip to the Michigan White Tail Hall of Fame conveniently located just off By ninety four in the charming town of Grass Lake, Michigan.
Speaker 4: The museum is full.
Speaker 2: Of family fun.
Speaker 5: The Michigan Whitetail Hall of Fame features taxidermy of some of the state's biggest bucks, live deer that you can feed out in an on spiring collection of antique two man chainsaws. The ven you would also love to host your next special occasions, such as a wedding or family reunion.
Speaker 2: That's right, Phil, and the owners of the museum also have a tennis and pickleball court in the building where they teach private lessons. But for now, you just need to guess the price of adult admission to the Michigan Whitetail Hall of Fame. Yanni, did you know this place existed?
Speaker 4: No, but I definitely want to go there.
Speaker 2: Okay, And as a Michigander, give us a review of Grass Lake, Michigan. What do you know about that place?
Speaker 13: I don't know anything about grass Have you never been there? Never heard of it?
Speaker 2: On the men, I don't know. Someone in the chattel tell us what they think of Grass Lake, and then yeah, Detroit. So again we need the price of admission for one adult to the Michigan Whitetail Hall of Fame, and Phil is showing us some photos of that Hall of Fame with those big old giant whitetail bucks, the live deer that you can feed, and their collection of antiques two man chainsaws.
Speaker 4: More or less than ten dollars. I don't think it's over.
Speaker 2: Giving you any hints. But if you do go over, it doesn't matter how close you are to the right answer. You're just disqualified. Oh really, three of you will go over. You gotta be under, you gotta be under. These are the prices, right, it'll be under.
Speaker 6: I wonder if that's.
Speaker 2: Extra, that's not part of the admission. That's just like, Hey, I got a whole day to kill in grass like Michigan. I'm gonna go feed these big old white tail bucks and get a private pickleball lesson in the back.
Speaker 4: For folks who are scared of privately owned museums, like, there is just no better way to spend your money. It is so much fun.
Speaker 2: Is that a thing people are scared of privately owned museum?
Speaker 1: I think so too, because they look I mean, they look exactly like the place that you get killed in a variety of cheap horror films.
Speaker 13: Buddy, I got a great story about one that you should all everybody should visit. This one out in eastern Collego, and I think it's genoah Colorado, and it's wild and wacky man.
Speaker 2: And it's often just like a husband and wife who curated everything in there. And that's how you wind up with a white tail hall of fame that has a collection of antique chainsaws in it? Are you boys ready?
Speaker 4: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Cal saying twelve ninety nine, Giannis says twelve dollars. Corey says twenty one dollars.
Speaker 4: I'm feeling good. You're high, Budden good.
Speaker 2: All three of you are too high. All three of you are going to try again. So write down a new answer and we'll give someone a point after this.
Speaker 4: It's take a drama.
Speaker 2: Get under the correct answer. The price of admission for one adult to the Michigan like Tail Hall of Fame. Yeah, he's going back to his drawing board. We know it's lower than twelve dollars.
Speaker 1: Fantastic one. I've been there several times, but I finally took my folks to the Ice Caves Museum out of Shoshown, Idaho, U and it's it's phenomenal. I encourage everybody to go. But when we went there, you know, it's like taking the folks someplace special. The two kids family members wouldn't get off that a little tiny TV that they were watching, and they wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Get off the couch to even take the money.
Speaker 1: They were just like, uh huh, and they're just kind of pointing at Just put the money in the bucket and there you go.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it was amazing this place. We would go today. I've been there twice, taking a couple of different friends there on our travels between Michigan.
Speaker 4: And uh Colorado. But it was only a dollar to get in.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: But there was a year.
Speaker 13: There was The first time I went there was probably I don't know, late nineties or early two thousands, but there was a case of oddities, and at the end of the tour he would grab one thing out of the case of oddities and if you could guess what it was, you got.
Speaker 4: Your dollar back.
Speaker 2: That's great. I went to the Creationist Museum in Eastern Montana. Yeah, exactly. They have little diagrams in there of humans hand feeding dinosaurs. So that's a special place to visit short dinosaurs. Do all three. If you have an answer, go ahead and reveal your answers. Wow, okay, we've got Cal saying four ninety nine. Giannis says one dollar. Corey says ten dollars.
Speaker 6: I'm stuck on Bozeman prices. Everything's expensive.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is six dollars. Give me calls third point and making him the winner of the price is right. But we'll finish out the game anyway, Phil, how did the chat do?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: First we had copy guy coming with five dollars, Okay, good job. Brian came in with six, and then after we all found out that it was a less expensive, copy guy for some reason raised his price six.
Speaker 2: All right, Brian, copy all right? Phil tell us about the fifth and final item up forbid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just want to do a little vamping here, Spencer for a second, just want to bring this up here, get rid of this comments. And then I look at the script and then I say, hey, if white tails aren't your thing, then how about a brand new boat? This nineteen eighty nine sixteen foot aluminicraft John boat is located in Rockville, Indiana. It comes with a twenty fifteen twenty five horse force stroke engine, trolling motor, batteries, trailer, and a badass Camo paint job. You'll be able to catch all the catfish and kill all of the ducks on the Wabash River with this nifty little skiff.
Speaker 2: And she's available right now on boattrader dot com for the low low price of Well, I'm not gonna tell you, guys, what do you think that nineteen eighty nine John boat costs? And I'll point out the script says, how about a not brand new boat? This boat is not brand new.
Speaker 4: It's a twenty fifteen forestrokeup.
Speaker 2: That's what it says. But it's also been painted, eliminating basically any chance you have of figuring out precisely what that motor is. But they say, dang, brother, I know, twenty fifth, twenty five horse four street.
Speaker 4: I mean that's where the cost of that whole kid is.
Speaker 13: Trailer anywhere.
Speaker 2: She's a little trailer. She's got she's got bicycle, the doughnut rails on there. Now back to the Michigan Hall of Fame, it's two dollars. If you're a child, and it's one dollar for a bag of feed to give to the deer. So everyone should stop in Grass Lake, Michigan and check that place out, and then you can play some tennis afterwards with some D one athletes that are in that family. All right, do you boys have a price for this not brand new boat? It's nineteen eighty nine John boat that is sixteen feet long. It's an Allumic craft and has a twenty fifteen four.
Speaker 1: Streng chat way. They call me Cal, Heartbeat of America. Callahan Cal. That's right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Got my finger on the pulse.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 2: We'll see what he knows about boat prices. He boys, ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying eight hundred one dollars, what Giannis says twenty two thousand corey six hundred and ninety nine A lot of value? How do you always have a twenty thousand dollars difference?
Speaker 1: And I guess if you're listening to one of you but telling us to come stro wandering in like geez.
Speaker 12: I was gonna go get a loan to buy that, The correct answer is three thousand, three hundred and ninety nine dollars giving call his fourth point a dominant performance. I can tell you Ryan in no way that that's a five year old four stroke engine.
Speaker 2: Listen, charge and painted over it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, let me tell you how this works. If you're not deeply uncomfortable and embarrassed with your first offer on something on Craigslist, you are doing it.
Speaker 2: Wrong, implying you should lowball him. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's what it's for. I understand that.
Speaker 2: Ryan, man of the people Callahan with four points in the price is right.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for letting me play Spencer.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see you later. Yeah, now, thanks for playing on you. You remember to help control the pet population. Have your pets Spade in New Oh.
Speaker 5: Really quick yet Skylar guests aptly named by the way, Skyler, you guess thirty three hundred Chase Wolf, You're a dirty cheater.
Speaker 4: Cut it out, you know. I almost bought I was.
Speaker 1: Hanging out with a bunch of commercial fishermen a long time ago, and I almost bought a boat on Craig's List. It was fresh off guidance season, had a bunch of cash, and the dude got so pissed at my offer that I kind of had to be like, Oh, I guess me and my stack of cash are just gonna go cry in the corner. But that guy's insult is what separated me from being a successful commercial fisherman.
Speaker 2: But you didn't buy it.
Speaker 6: I didn't didn't know.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break and get some listener feedback. Phil, what's the chat have to say?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, let's see. I never know how to pronounce this name. I'm sorry, hovah Jova and figure. Oh question for the guys, do and if you have any untraditional or unusual pieces of kid that you've adopted into your hunting set up over the years, anything that you've stopped bringing.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm, I this is untraditional. But are you guys familiar with the app All Trails?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've reserved saying this for a future hot tip off, but I'll say it right now. All Trails is primarily used by people who are not hunters and anglers, And so they'll go on there and they'll do some specific hike and then they'll they'll share photos and write a review afterwards, and they give out details that no haunter would ever say. They'll say, I saw ten elk and a black bear, and then they'll even have pictures to show it. And so you can go on there and mind little information. If you're looking at doing a hunt somewhere that has like named trailheads down at all Trails, there's a free version you can get a lot of this information. People are really nearly sharing a lot of really good information that hunters are not going to tell you, you know, on other apps that exist for this kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And Spencer built a little AI crawler that automatically scores the bucks that people see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can be like, yeah, well I wish I did so. I'd say that's an un traditional thing that I've used for hunting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do something similar On Facebook.
Speaker 3: There's likes and whatnot, like.
Speaker 4: Oh watch out, there's a black bear up.
Speaker 3: This trailhead, Like, oh okay, well maybe I'll go spring bear.
Speaker 2: I saw him two days ago about a mile from the trailhead.
Speaker 1: I'll do a thing I stopped bringing and for my backpack trips, Like it used to just be like a really common thing that you would hear or see in all the hunting articles or backpacking articles of like trying to pack light is like eliminate redundancies. And even if if you're in a group, right, it's like you don't bring three leather men tools like you maybe one person packs a leather mentol right, even sharing a rifle ers you know, sharing a sleeping bag depending on how ultra light you want to get. But yeah, I've quit packing like my my beanie, my tuc because every everything I have typically has a hood on it, so you know, it's a real common like sleeping kit. It's like, but I just put my hood on and and have not found any any need or want for the for the tuke on the big backpack tours these days.
Speaker 6: Hood's double just as good.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, last thing about all trails is a lot of people take photos so you can see exactly what the area looks like. You get an idea that you know something that on X can't really provide you these on the ground photos, and that's super helpful to show you where water is, what that stream looks like if you think you can cross it, so that it's it's valuable for people in the West.
Speaker 4: Phil, what else we'll do one more?
Speaker 5: Since we've got so a couple of people waiting on the line, I just had oh, yeah. Here it is question for Kleb Spencer. How are you feeling on Denver Nuggets repeat championship this year?
Speaker 2: I knew it in my bones in twenty twenty three when they were going to win the championship. That was one of the most satisfying things. It's like I knew this all along the Nuggets were going to win that. I didn't have that feeling last year. I don't have that feeling this year. But they have a chance. They I would say in the entire NBA they have. They're one of the four best teams. They will be competitive. It's just about how far Joker, Jamal and MPJ can take us.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: First name, Besis. Listen, how you got those fancy pants seats? I love down there on the court.
Speaker 2: I love the Denver Nuggets.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love chicken Nuggets.
Speaker 4: All right, Moving on something in common.
Speaker 2: Our next segment is one Minute Fishing. Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 6: We'll do you dunk, go ahead, make my cast.
Speaker 2: One minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch a fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. This week, our angler is Christy Holmes in Maine and she's fishing for a donation to the Downiest Salmon Federation. Christy, welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Christy. Tell us about what you're doing out on that icy lake today.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: We are actually on a tidal river, the Kenneback River, are near kind of near the capital of our state, Augusta. We are fishing for sea run rainbow smelts. You guys are probably familiar with the little smelts. Well, these ones are about seven to nine inches and some people using. Some people kepting some smeuts in the background.
Speaker 2: Is that is that a good Is that a good holler we're hearing behind you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, don't get good hollers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't they kind of like push through and runs. Sorry, are you missing your opportunity right now?
Speaker 9: No, we've already caught about a dozen, so we're doing okay. But this is like a commercials smelt operation. So you rent a shack for about six hours, and you know, the most people use the smelt to eat. They're wicked good. They're my favorite. Chop the head off, take the DUTs out, fry them. Holes, you eat the bones, eat the fins. Some people keep them eight for like Togue and Pike. But it's just a really fun way to enjoy main winters.
Speaker 2: And tell us about the tactic you're using today to try to catch these smelt.
Speaker 9: So come on in in our fat and i'll show you.
Speaker 2: Christy is walking us into this ice hut, and the ice huts are so close that they're dang, you're touching each other. Yeah.
Speaker 9: So we've got raceways so holes in the ice here, and then we've got jig boards, we've got jig coles, and we've got the smelts we've caught so far there and a couple heads are missing because my friends Kathy and Jill here is tradition when you catch your first ever one smelt head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: And Christy has a baby on her hip right now. That baby gets a limit of smelt as well, right, Oh of.
Speaker 9: Course, yeah, the limit is one gallons.
Speaker 2: Oh that's uh, that's bigger than the child that she's holding. All right, Chrissy, you're one minute of fishing starts as soon as your tackle hits the water.
Speaker 7: All right, Well, there are already, so we.
Speaker 2: Can she's Okay, well we're going.
Speaker 9: To start, so we're watching for any little movement here or.
Speaker 10: These jig poles.
Speaker 9: Okay, we're about twenty seven feet of water.
Speaker 2: And are you fishing on the bottom or are these suspended?
Speaker 9: Is going to change about today?
Speaker 2: Okay, you are lower by about seventeen. You are twenty seconds into your one minute? Christy, is there any bycatch while you're doing this?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I caught a pod before, and I've caught a headlamp before. You use pieces of sandworms as your bait, and then you have thanks, so we will fight.
Speaker 2: Cool, you've got fifteen seconds left.
Speaker 7: Well, are you guys touching any.
Speaker 2: Christy was a little pessimistic. She said this is better done in the evening, so we uh we put her in a tough spot. All right, Christy, your one minute is up. We couldn't make it happen today, but thank you for joining us and sharing us how a smelter does it in main?
Speaker 7: I hope you guys make it out to come smelting.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's that looks like a ton of fun. Thank you, Christy. Thanks cal you ever have you ever eaten smelt?
Speaker 4: Uh? No?
Speaker 1: I you know I had like a scandal Hoovian grandma great grandma, and she was Hoovian. That's that's how grandma said it. That would get like very upset over the fact that I used smelt for pike bait here in Montana.
Speaker 2: Very upset because she wanted to eat him. Yeah, okay, Scanda Hoovian? Is that? Is that a derogatory term you think from your grandpa?
Speaker 4: Well? I never took it that way, but it's possible. It's possible in Norwegian.
Speaker 6: I don't take any offense.
Speaker 2: Good, we're safe, all right. Our next segment is hot tip Off. Jo, turn your head.
Speaker 4: What's that thing?
Speaker 8: Don't use?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's salty, ya, that's salty.
Speaker 2: Well fill that trust. The next time we go to karaoke, you're gonna sing some chapel roan. Can we can? I count on you for that?
Speaker 4: You have my word?
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 2: Hot tip off is where two listeners go head to head with competing pieces of advice, and after we hear each tip, we'll declare which one is hotter. If you have a hot tip, take a one minute video on your phone and email it to radio at the meadeater dot com with the subject line hot tip off. All right, let's hear this week's hot tips Tiler Harm.
Speaker 14: I'm Tyler Harm, and this is my hot tip off for those of you who hunt out west. Keep an old tent rain fly in your pack. It'll serve two purposes. One, you can tie it between trees and use it as a rain fly if you get caught out in the rain without your rain gear.
Speaker 11: Or you can lay it out.
Speaker 6: When you're cutting up your meat.
Speaker 14: Gives you a good clean staging area for your meat. And it's a lighter weight than a tart and works great for keeping that meat clean.
Speaker 6: Crucial nice tailing.
Speaker 15: Thunder Loon, Welcome to another hot tip off. My name is Dylan, and I'm here to tell you how I make a cheap, affordable, yeah, very effective set checking system. You're only gonna need a few things. For those who don't chew, you can always use, you know yourself an altoys container or you know, a film canister. Those who like to, you know, dabble with the old devil's dirt there, but you'll big old lipper in upper decky. You take one of these, you drill about a quarter inch hole right in yonder Oh. If you want the picture, you know you like the deer. Put it in the backside, doesn't matter. After gathering this stuff, which is called milkweed, which we all probably know, pull off the seat, twist her up and try to make a long almost like a length of rope with twisting. Okay, then you take it, you pack it down in Then the more the merrier, pack it right down in there. Okay. So if you want to get it out of the hole and you just take your drill beat, okay, you pull it up. There's that down instead of using powder or wow checking a flag. Yeah, this right in your pocket cost absolutely nothing. It's a piece of something. We're gonna throw it in the trash or recycling and yeah, you give me get one with the cool pictures on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's got a few hands.
Speaker 15: That's the hot tip off.
Speaker 2: And you can see these hot tips on our YouTube video right now. All right, Calan Corey, do you like Dylan's hot tip about the homemade wndicator or Tyler's hot tip about the tent rainfly man?
Speaker 3: I love to recycle. They're both very smart.
Speaker 4: And useful windicator hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I mean, nobody's wrong and right, it's just I mean, it's it's great.
Speaker 2: I agree with the Windicator. I also carry milkweed when I'm white tail hunting. What I do differently than him, though, which is worse, is I just like shove it in a loose spot in my bag, and then if I have one hundred little seeds from milkweed in there, you see all one hundred of those. But he he has those very tightly packed in that dip can that's real clean, and he can just pull out little strands at a time. I love that.
Speaker 1: And he said he's pulling the seeds out too, which is like, I'm not spreading milkweed.
Speaker 2: Everywhere right right.
Speaker 11: There.
Speaker 1: There was a company that had a very similar deal and it was like polyester fibers, and I just hated it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hate.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you're you literally made trash.
Speaker 2: Or Cow's voting for the Windicator, Corey. What's your vote? Tyler?
Speaker 6: I love your tip, but Dylan wins.
Speaker 2: I also like Tyler's tip. I would say that sounded pretty dang loud to be hauling around in your backpack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you stuff it in the bottom, sure, I never know it's there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I love the idea of sliding your meat on that thing instead of just whatever's convenient nearby. Now, Dylan is our winner, and he is going to get a brand new treed up Gnome T shirt. You can see it here on the camera. This is dropping today in the Meat Eater store and they sell out very fast. Last time I was told they sold out the day of. So Tyler is getting exclusive one of those, as well as a Meat Eater trivia board game that has been signed by the crew. We're going to get those in the mail to you, Dylan. Yeah, so, ty I'm sorry I said Tyler won. Dylan won. Dylan won the board game and he won the T shirt. You're gonna hear from Corey about how to get those sent to the mail.
Speaker 4: Yep, really quick.
Speaker 5: Just so we don't have any sort of technical hiccup for you, Spencer, we had Dave on the line. He was hanging out for a while, our next guest, and I'm not seeing any video or audio from him. So Dave, if you're if you're around, if you turn anything your micro camera off, go ahead and turn that stuff back on now. Otherwise we might just have to have him on.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: Can can we hear from the chat for a little bit film and then yeah, maybe maybe in the meantime, we'll hear from David.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're live, folks, We're live. It's what it's all about.
Speaker 5: It's what we're doing here. Cal I have a five month old chocolate lab. Any advice on a training program, I know it's kind of a big question, but maybe someplace to start, just I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it's just consistency, Like get a routine in place, and it all everything is structured off of sit, stay, come, you know, and for me really like sit should also mean stay. So start basic, always return to the basics. Don't add too much too fast. There's not a whole lot of secret here, is just consistency and do not over complicate things.
Speaker 4: You'll be You'll be great. Cool.
Speaker 5: And this is another kind of big general question, but maybe maybe some words of inspiration or someplace to start. Free Crank says that he's been hunting turkey for four years and he hasn't been able to seal the deal. Any advice. He's located in Western Pa.
Speaker 3: Man, keep at it. I've been there four years, not tagging out. Then the next year we'll buy him.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, do your.
Speaker 1: Due diligence so you know you're hunting good areas. And then as my buddy Jim, who's like the most turkey killing son of a gun I know, he says, kill him with your ass, Frank the free crank.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sit and call commit see what happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you might be able to answer this one. This is from Harrison.
Speaker 2: Cal.
Speaker 4: Do you still have your own podcast?
Speaker 5: And what GPS collar do you use for snort things?
Speaker 4: I've been running Garman.
Speaker 1: Like a track caller like you use for hounds, or like real lanky point and dogs, which you know is definitely overkill for a lab, but I just like the data. It's pretty fascinating to me how much a working dog can move. So and then yes, Cal's week interview. It's the col of the wild Feed these day. It's a little bit of a rebrand. But yeah, tons of stuff happening right now in the world of conservation and the legislation. So give her a listen. Thank you, Phil.
Speaker 2: Are you seeing Dave in the weight room at all?
Speaker 4: I am not.
Speaker 5: I saw that he tried to hot back in, but it said they were still having trouble connecting to us.
Speaker 2: Let's give the camp, let's get answer a few more questions and if he's not there in a few minutes, we'll just send the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Sure.
Speaker 5: Keep sending those questions in guys, Trav says, Hey, guys, someone wants to hunt and collect firewood on some property I own. I'm fine with it, but wondering if I should have him to sign a contract or a waiver or something. Check with your state a lot of states.
Speaker 1: If you provide i'd a free public access, the state's liability will cover We'll cover you. But yeah, i'd you know, I'd definitely do a little due diligence. And obviously if they're knocking trees down, that's a little more severe than if they're just picking stuff up off the ground.
Speaker 2: I have knocked on hundreds of doors, Trav asking for hunting permission. I've never had anyone ask me to sign a contract or a waiver, but I wouldn't scoff at it if they did. It totally makes sense, especially if they're a stranger to you, like I am to most of these people. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened at this point. I think it's National Deer Association provides a contract that would cover you. I believe they have one. Maybe for when you're leasing a property, and for one when you're just like hunting on private land. So go check out the National Deer Association. They might be able to help you out and fill It looks like our guest Dave is now in the chat, so I think we're going to do that interview and then call it a show.
Speaker 5: Sounds good, all right?
Speaker 2: Joining us on the line last is the founder of the Lost Apple Project, David ben Scotter. David and his network of apple detectives have found thirty varieties of apples that were previously lost. David, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 11: Hi, thank you, thank you for letting me be here.
Speaker 2: First thing, tell us about the Lost Apple Project.
Speaker 11: Okay, yeah, the Lost Apple Project began about ten years ago and kind of by accident. I'm retired law enforcement and I was taken care of a disabled neighbor's orchard. And one day she came and asked me what could I go on pick some apples for She lived on her family's property and they had been on the properties since before nineteen fifteen. And so I grabbed a buck, and I grabbed a ladder, it over to her orchard, came back ten minutes later. I said, I can't pick a single apple. Those trees haven't been pruned, you know, probably fifty years, maybe more. And I said, but I do know how to prune apple trees. So I'll this this winter, when they're dormant, I'll go prune the apple trees. And I said, within two three years, you'll have lots of apples. So that winter we get quite a bit of snow here. We're butted right up against Idaho and about two hundred miles from the Canadian border. And I was probably on a winter day, and I was thinking, you know, those apples are not going to be the same kind of apples that I go and eat today. And so I called her up and I said, I was just curious, you know, do you know what's growing up there?
Speaker 5: And she remembered, should come back in a sec.
Speaker 11: One apple, yelder's first apple that you eat during the summer at ripens in July. And she didn't know any of the other apples. So she called her brother. He remember that there was four trees at the very top of the orchard. They were called a Wealthy which just happened to be the first bread apple tree in America. And it was bred in Wisconsint because it was such cold temperatures up there, they couldn't get any apples to live. Wealthy was a wonderful apple and it solved that problem. And I got did the biggest mistake of my life. I got on the internet and I started typing in, you know, apple for our area and stuff like that, and I was just.
Speaker 2: Fastened tough connection for Davey Washington.
Speaker 11: Everybody knows that Washington grows the most apples in the United States, but those are all along the Columbia River and the tributaries of the Columbia River where they can irrigate the orchards, and they've got really hot summer days, cool nights. We're over in eastern Washington, where it's rolling hills. Nothing is irrigated, but we do have deep soils and a lot of ravines and things like that. And so, to make a long story short, I just started researching. I found out that there was a book by a fell a boy the name Elite Calhoun called Old Southern Apples. And this book listed the first half of the book was all old Southern apples that still exist today, and the last half of the book were extinct Old Southern apples, and that was the first time I even knew there was any such a thing as extinct apples.
Speaker 10: And just so.
Speaker 11: Excuse me, it just so happens that there have been about seventeen thousand apples that originated in the United States and Canada, and fell a by the name of Dan Bussy just wrote a book about that. I think it came out about five six years ago, listing all seventeen thousand apples there and whatever is known about it. Those seventeen thousand apples, only five thousand of those apples exist today. And so anyway, I started looking at the list of apples, and then I also was kind of curious about a famous, at least locally famous fellow. He was a nursery then about I lived near Spoke.
Speaker 5: Spoke Anne.
Speaker 11: He was saying, can Washington, Miles, Sydney, Colfax, Washington, which is really close to Washington State University in Pullman, Washington. And I was reading old newspapers about him and apples that he had introduced and things like that. And I was reading there was a little article about county fairs. This was back in the early nineteen hundreds. I thought, well, that's interesting. They're listing the county fair winners. And I started looking at that. I immediately knew that I was onto something that was important. And the reason for that was they listed every apple that was entered in the fair. So I thought, if they do this over a course of let's say ten years, I will know pretty much what was growing. And this happened to be Whitman County, Washington in the early nineteen hundreds. I started writing the names down to these apples. Turns out about I beliast four of the apples that were entered in the county fair were listed in Lee Calhoun's book as extinct apples. And I thought, oh gosh, you know this is I'm the only person that knows this. You know, there's nobody here. There are other apple hunters around the United States. There's John Bunker up in Maine. There's Tom Brown in North Carolina. Lee Calhoun he was in North Carolina. But if you happen to notice that all those people lived on the East coast, I had no idea why. Figured there must be some some reason why that nobody ever hunted apples out west, but there must be a logical explanation for it. But I thought, you know what, I'm going to just try a little bit to find one of the apples. And that apple that I was looking for is the Wallbridge. And the Wallbridge was entered by six different people in Whitman County in between nineteen hundred and nineteen ten. So I called some apple identification experts that I knew who were over in Oregon, and I said, it would it be okay if I sent you, like, you know, three four or five bags of apples and you could see if they're the Wallbridge apple. And they said, yeah, go right ahead. And I chose the Wallbridge and not only because it was entered more times than any other apple in the fair, but also because it was rather distinct looking. It was a red apple with very crimson stripes on the apple. So this was I believe this is about two thousand and thirteen. And I started looking around Women County, which again seventy miles south of me. I went through a little town of Colefax, which had three nurseries. In that town, I had found a little catalogs of the apples that they grew, and nurseries nearby that grew apples. Wallbridge again, it was very popular. I found a few trees. Ended up finding I believe three or four trees with apples that were red with very crimson striping on them, and they looked like to me somebody who doesn't I still can't identify apples worth beans, but I thought that these might be the lost Wallbridge apple. Put them all in a box, was getting ready to ship it off, and I happened to drive by a water pump station in Colefax, Washington, and hanging over this water pump station was the weirdest apple I've ever seen was an apple that had corner to it they collar ridges, but I thought it was just a really strange looking apple, And so I picked some of those apples too, stuck them in a plastic bag they had. Uh the experts, I want you to send them like six or seven apples that you picked them, where they were from. All these are important things. They sent those apples off. To make a long story short, all the Wallbridge apples were not Walbridge. And uh, that's still kind of our white whale. We're still looking so still haven't found it. However, what's that still haven't found it? Still have not found that apple. But the other apple happened to turn out to be the yellow. Let's see, it's the fall Geniting, and the Fall Geniting was the first lost apple we found, and uh just got us off, got us off to a good start.
Speaker 2: And what's the the strangest place that you found one of these thirty lost apple varieties?
Speaker 11: Well, the strangest place was an apple closest to where I live. I always thought that these apples were going to be in at least a few counties away from me, And then I knew about this apple tree. I had gone hunting, and I knew this was one of my favorite places to hunt because there was an old apple tree right next to a swamp. And although that apple tree was probably one hundred and thirty years old, it was in really good shape. The apples were wonderful. I actually have one of the apples here and this this was determined to be the Shackleford, and the Shackleford was one of the most popular apples in the late eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds. Fortunately, I think probably the reason it became lost was it was just a red apple, nothing remarkable about it, but it was It's an excellent apple, and actually I think it's one of my top three apples, and uh, I think it actually could compete to be a grocery store apple today, a commercial variety. I don't think it's as good as oh apples like Crimson Crisp or Honey Crisp or or some of those, but I think some of the other apple.
Speaker 2: Dave, what what is the best tasting lost apple that you found?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm I wish washy, I can't tell you that, but I've got three for a favorites. There's that one, the Shackleford, and another one's called the gold Ridge, and finally the last one is called Kitty and this is a little Kittagesky. And again this would not make a very good commercial variety today because it's too small. I think it's Stark Brothers has a an apple that they advertise as a lunch box apple. It's a small apple called a pixie crunch. This is about the size of a pixie crunch and it could go and if you had a child in school, you stick that in their lunch. But commercially, I don't think it could ever make it. But it has a wonderful taste to do it, and it was it was from from the South and it's just a wonderful apple.
Speaker 2: Now, how can listeners help with the lost apple project? And what should they do if they think they know about a lost apple tree?
Speaker 11: Well, I can tell you a few things. First of all, if you live in Oregon, Washington, or Idaho, get a hold of me and I'll give you some information about that in a minute, and I will I will get your apples to our apple identification experts. Now, if you're not in Oregon, Idaho, or Washington, there's another thing that we can do, and we we're working with Washington State University and they're doing it an apple DNA project And if you contact me, I will send you, however many little tubes you want. And DNA from an apple tree is actually not obtained from the apple itself. It's from a leaf of the tree. So you don't have to wait till fall to do this, you know, in in May or June, when the tree is fully leafed out. I'll send you instructions on how to take a leaf and put it in this tube and mail it to us. And Washington State University has over three thousand apple cultivars in their database and we've had success. I would say about fifty percent success rate and identifying apples. That way, patient experts who use the basically fifty different characteristics of an apple, including how long the stem is, what shape the seed is, all the things that I'm totally unable to do, and that they can do. That's how we send local apples to at least the first stage, and then if they can't identify the apples, then we move on to the DNA testing.
Speaker 2: Also now, you can learn more about David's story and apple hunting in his new book called Lost Apples, The Search for Rare and Heritage Apples in the Pacific Northwest right now on kokbooks dot com. David, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you, that was awesome.
Speaker 11: Yes can I can? I just men sure one thing? If they look under Whitman County Historical Society, we're under the Whitman County Historical Society. You can donate to our cause and if you have any questions, you can also reach me at D D. B. E. MS twenty three at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, good luck with your apple hunting this year. Have a good one, David, Thank you, Thanks Dave, thank you. All right, Phil, I think we're gonna skip the chat that's left unless there's anything really pressing since we're running over on time.
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, nothing super newsy or pressing.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, next week, The Meat Eater Movie Club returns with a review of the nineteen eighty eight family film The Bear. You can stream it on Prime to b Roku, YouTube TV, or peacock watch it before the show if you want to participate in the discussion. Also, Chester will be performing at the Pheasants for Ever in Quails Forever Concert for Conservation in Kansas City next Thursday, March sixth, Col's going to be there too, right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, Actually, starting that Wednesday in DeSoto, Kansas, we got a Kansas BHA slash North American Grouse Partnership event that's open to the public and will be great. It's called BHA at the Barn. It's just open forum, learn about a bunch of stuff that's going on in the organization. And then yeah, Wednesday Concert for Conservation where Cheddar's gonna kick things off for Muscadine Bloodline.
Speaker 2: Now in the script here it says Thursday is a concert Thursday the sixth, right, yep, yeah, Thursday six.
Speaker 11: And then.
Speaker 1: Friday there's the Bird dog Parade that kicks off pheasant Fest and Quails Forever there and which is pretty pretty dark cute.
Speaker 2: Will Snort be there?
Speaker 4: Snort's been there two years in a row now, so she's taking a break.
Speaker 11: And then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll have a first light booth and and awesome, just an awesome conservation event like PFQF does a really really really good job of getting people up to snuff on what they need to know for all the habitat programs and farm bill and and stuff that may not sound super sexy and fun, but they make it fun. And and if you need a little little lube to get that going, there's a bar on every corner in the on the show floor.
Speaker 4: And then Sunday we have.
Speaker 1: An awesome fundraiser lunch to kind of wrap things up with North American Grouse Partnership and we're talking about the lesser Prairie Chicken and the fact that the North American grasslands are the most threatened ecosystem in North America.
Speaker 2: So happening in Kansas City next week. Last question, what's your favorite apple cal are you? Are you loyal to any variety when you're in the grocery door.
Speaker 4: I have not personally purchased an apple in many, many years.
Speaker 2: How do you acquire your apples? You just don't eat apples?
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I'm like, not a big sugar guy.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite apple?
Speaker 3: I'm a big apple snob, like I don't let my wife buy apples.
Speaker 2: Tell me more. Tell are you agreeing? No?
Speaker 5: Because Adrian is. And if I anything other than a Honey Crisp, she gets.
Speaker 2: Let's make this show ten more minutes. What's your favorite apple?
Speaker 3: Then, Corey, Yeah, I'll second the Honey Crisp or pink Lady's my two favorites. I'm going through the whole bushel and feeling everyone.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm that guy.
Speaker 3: Who will go into a grocery store with apples on my grocery list and I'll walk out if I can't find the right one.
Speaker 2: Buddy, I'm with man. I worked the produce section of Walmart my freshman year of college. I didn't really care for making minimum wage, so I got my money back by grazing on apples in the freezer back there, and I really became like a small ya for apples at that point. I feel like you could a hand in one. I could have taken it. By and been like, that's a jazz apple. Now that one, there's a gala apple. That one's a honey crisp. My favorite to the pink lady in the honey crisp that you can't go wrong. I especially love honey crisp because they come from the University of Minnesota. They were created there.
Speaker 5: I have you know that, Phil Oh, Yeah, I got Adrians from there, so that might that might have to do with her her honey crisp.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like an honorary Minnesota and an honorary Colorado as well as a Montana and in style Dakota. So I claimed four states too. I never lived in. But that's that's one thing I really like about honey crisp apples, as they came from the u of Yeah.
Speaker 5: And one of my favorite celebrity sidings was we went mini golfing out outside of the Twin Cities. It was that's really cool courses and then in the in the middle of the woods and we drove by the farm where the honey crisp apple was was you know, invented?
Speaker 4: It seems like a weird word.
Speaker 5: What's the what what would be the word to use?
Speaker 2: And the like they collect a patent on it, so it is like something.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And they had signs everywhere, like home on the Honey Crisp Apple, and it was I felt like, yeah it was. I was starstruck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about them apples? All right, we'll see you back here next weeks. More Apple talk. I'm needy to rate. Thanks for lasting