Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: One of the central figures and yesterday's January sixth hearing was Rudy Giuliani, the one man who didn't abandon President Trump's dreams of reelection just because he had already lost the election. But how did Giuliani become the feelist, ask kiss we know today? Well that's the subject of our latest Daily showography.
Speaker 1: What makes a great leader? Is it courage, compassion, charisma or is it an integrity and confidence that just leaks out of their pores, a calming strength that drips from every orifice, and the way they give their blood, sweat and other bodily fluids to make the world a better place. Since the twenty sixteen election, Rudy Giuliani has been a national leader, spreading his patriotic message at political.
Speaker 3: Rally Let's have trial by combat.
Speaker 1: Escaping company, parking lots and arenas across this great nation. Oh but how did he become the man and or manlike creature he is today? This is the Daily showography of Rudy Giuliani Oozing Greatness. Rudolph William Lewis Giuliani was born in nineteen forty four in East Flatbush, New York. His father was an alleged mob enforcer who did time at Sing Sing for armed robbery.
Speaker 4: He would tell me, never take any pails his money. Make sure you always pay for things. I mean. He wanted to make sure that I didn't make the same mistakes that he believed he had made.
Speaker 1: It was an inspiring message from a father, come up with your own original crimes, and he would to keep Rudy away from New York City's criminal element. The family moved to the suburbs.
Speaker 4: I can remember as a youngster that my father would sometimes threaten me with putting me in public schools if my behavior didn't improve, And that was a very frightening thought. But I was a product of Catholic education and it instilled in me from a very early age and desire.
Speaker 5: To be a priest.
Speaker 1: That's right. Juliani almost became a man of the cloth instead of a man of sweaty handkerchiefs. Ultimately, he chose not to pursue the priesthood, deciding instead to marry his childhood's sweetheart, who also happened to be his second cousin. And while today that may be seen as weird, back then it was seen as super gross. After graduating law school, Juliani began his meteoric career, quickly rising to the third highest position at President Reagan's Justice Department. He was the youngest person ever to hold the job, but he was already sporting the comover of a man twice his age. Soon, Rudy was US attorney for the Southern District of New York. Rudy wasn't afraid to take on criminals, or to give lots of press conferences about how he took on criminals.
Speaker 4: Well, I think of five or six or seven years ago, nobody would believe it was possible to convict the head of the Sicilian mafia and have him sitting in the Metropolitan Correction Center.
Speaker 1: He loved the camera and the camera just wanted to be friends. But soon taking credit for arrests wasn't enough. He had to pretend to make the arrests himself.
Speaker 2: I bought crack.
Speaker 4: I had a female deagent who was like, theoretically my date, and we went up and we purchased crack in Washington Heights.
Speaker 1: Now that's what I call going undercover. Tell me you don't think he smoked crack before picking out that outfit. With his crime fighting career burning hotter than totally normal lust between second cousins, Rudy set his sights on elected office. He first ran for mayor of New York in nineteen eighty nine, but he didn't quite have the name recognition he needed to win.
Speaker 5: I would like to command a Republican candidate, Rudolph Johanni.
Speaker 1: Rudy, sorry about that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Tough break for Rudy, go PHILII. Four years later he tried again, and this time he had the perfect foil to rally his voters against New York's first black mayor. Denouncing David Dinkins as soft on crime, Giuliani led off duty police officers in a peaceful protest to.
Speaker 3: The Minutes later, thousands of cops stormed through the barricades and ran on top of cars as they charged the stairs of City Hall.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was a peaceful, ish protest. At least, typing up a crowd to storm a government building would be good practice for him, So through sheer charisma and just a little hint of police intimidation, he finally became Mayor. Giohanni, I'm sorry, Giuliani. Over the next decade, Giuliani took New York City from a gutter toilet of violence and sex and piss and turned it into a clean, safe utopio with ample magazine jobs that allowed young women to live in giant apartments with walk in closets and so many shoes. Under Giuliani, the York Police Department pioneered some of the most iconic anti crime tactics of the era, like stop and frisk, broken windows, policing sexual assault with a broom handle, and shooting an innocent guy so many times Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about it, What do you want to Shots? Lena gets a song ready. First scheme and Juliani didn't just go after criminals. He went after all poor people in the most hilarious ways.
Speaker 5: Look at you lying there like that.
Speaker 4: Don't you have any dignity lying on your butt all day collecting welfare?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think he was still buying crack. Juliani was bringing glamour back to New York City, and if he was making a few enemies, he was also making some good friends.
Speaker 6: You know, you're really beautiful.
Speaker 7: Oh you turkey buying?
Speaker 1: Oh oh. Finally, Rudy found a disguise that managed to fool, someone dumber than a crack dealer. By now, Juliani was ready to shake things up. He dumped his second wife at a press conference without telling her first.
Speaker 4: In many ways, we've grown to live independent and separate lives, leaving.
Speaker 1: Her to respond with her own statement about how he was a cheating hoe. For several years, it was difficult to participate in Rudy's public life because of.
Speaker 2: His relationship with one staff member.
Speaker 1: Rudy moved out of the mayor's mansion and crashed with some friends, a gay couple in their pet shitsu while running a losing Senate race against Hillary Clinton. Honestly, his life was a lot simpler when he was just banging his cousin. And then, just as his term was coming to an end, Rudy Giuliani found himself right where he needed to be.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, New York is going to be here, and we're going to rebuild, and we're going to be stronger.
Speaker 7: Than we were before.
Speaker 1: Nine to eleven gave Rudy his big promotion to America's mayor. Oh, and that's when the party.
Speaker 8: Started at as gentlemen, please welcome the Mayor of New York City, the Honorable Rudolph Giuliani.
Speaker 1: Yes, no one rose to greater prominence after nine to eleven than Rudy Giuliani, except maybe Bin Laden. By two thousand and eight, Giuliani was finally confident enough to admit he was bald and to make a play for the highest office in the land.
Speaker 9: Rudy is in America's mayor, now wants to be America's president anyway.
Speaker 1: He came in sixth in Iowa and was out of the race by February. By the time the twenty sixteen election year came around, Giuliani had realized he didn't need to be president. He could just be friends with one. It was a win win friendship. Trump gave Rudy the power he was longing for, and Rudy made Trump look attractive by comparison as Trump's bff. Rudy was really going places, even if he didn't always seem to know where he was.
Speaker 5: From the top to the bottom, from the middle to the side.
Speaker 1: The next four years were a whirlwind of campaigning, lawyers, cheerleading, extorting, treasoning, and insurrectioning. By the time it was over, Giuliani lost his law license, several gallons of hair dye a variety of electronic device is seized by the FBI, and most of all, his dignity.
Speaker 5: Hi, it's Rudy Giuliani and I'm on cameo in the pay for a Play scheme.
Speaker 1: But Rudy is still easing on, enjoying life to the fullest, maybe even too much.
Speaker 5: I don't think I've ever done an interviewing drunk. I have sometimes. I mean I drink normally. I like Scotch.
Speaker 2: I drink Scotch. So you do not believe that you are a drinking problem.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know to believe it.
Speaker 2: I know of not.
Speaker 5: I know Prince Andrew is very questionable. Now. I never went out with him ever, never had a drink with him, Never was with a woman or a young girl with him evva. One time I met him in my office and one time when we had the party, right Bernie, you were there.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Whether he's standing tall through nine to eleven or a blood alcohol level of nine to eleven, Rudy Giuliani is a born leader, making his mark wherever he goes, one that no standard can ever take away.
Speaker 7: The Trump campaign held a press conference to challenge the election results. At four seasons total landscaping in northeast Philadelphia. Some people suspect the campaign intended to reserve the Four Seasons Hotel but accidentally booked this landscaping company, located between a crematorium and a sex toy store. Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani was speaking when he was told the election had been called for Biden.
Speaker 5: What was it called by all the Oh my goodness, all the networks? Wow, all the networks.
Speaker 2: No, guys, how is this real?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: How is this real? How are you going to hold a press conference at a lance escaping warehouse between a crematorium and a sex toy store. I mean, as a general rule, if you're ever out declaring war, you don't want to do it twenty feet from a dildo. Although I mean, in some ways it makes sense because if you ask people what's halfway between a pawn shop and a crematorium, they'd probably say Rudy Giuliani. And by the way, I have a feeling that Rudy Giuliani uses that sarcastic response a lot. I'm sorry, who wants me to put my clothes back on? Everyone? Oh? Wow?
Speaker 3: Everyone?
Speaker 2: Every single person in this Danny's wants me to put my clothes back on. Now, the campaign says that they did mean to have the press conference at this venue, and I hope that that's true, but it really just sounds like Trump's legal team accidentally booked the wrong Four Seasons, And if that is the case, that would be so sad. I mean, do you know how incompetent you got to be to get catfished by a landscaping business. Also, I love how the real Four Seasons tweeted that it has nothing to do with them, because even hotel chains are trying to get away from Trump. Now, I bet Motel six was like, get out of here, your scumbags. You're grossing out our bed bugs. I also feel really bad for anyone who is inside that sex shop during that press conference, because imagine being in a sex shop and then seeing every camera in America pulling up next door. Now, you gotta hide out in a duldo stuff for six hours, and that's a long time to pretend to be browsing. Yeah, so is this the edible underwear? Is it gluten free? U?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's the outside.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you do samples? So even though most of the world has accepted that Joe Biden will be the next president. Donald Trump is clearly planning to drag out this fight for weeks. Donald Joe Biden beat my ass Trump. None of his legal efforts to undo the election have been working, so now he's trying a different approach. But on the other hand, what might save America from Donald Trump trying to overthrow the government is that it's Donald Trump trying to overthrow the governments because his people are not known for being that great at what they do. I mean, just today, Ruigiliani, the President's personal lawyer and something kids fear is in the closets, gave a press conference to explain why Donald Trump actually won the election. Right, That's what he was doing. I was trying to explain to us why Donald Trump actually won the election that we all saw him lose. But we couldn't pay attention to this conspiracy theory because we were all distracted by this.
Speaker 5: Many of the absentee ballants were fraudulent, and they knew that, and they didn't want to have account to that. Two hundred percent of the registered voters in a district vote, what does that mean in the states that we had indicated in d Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and Arizona. We more than double the number of votes needed to overturn the elections. All you got to do to find out if I'm misleading you at all, is to look at the lawsuits. That's the reason why he probably didn't have to go out in campaign.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know that this could be the end of American democracy, but guys, this shit is hilarious. I mean, Trump always said that he had liquors in his administration, but I don't know was this bad? What the hell was going on with Rudy? Honest question? Was his hair dye dripping? Was his brain shitting itself? Honestly, I didn't even know that sideburns got periods. You know, your legal strategies up when even your hair starts crying about it. It was going down both his cheeks. This dude was growing a chin strapped beard in real time. And look, I'm not gonna lie. Part of me feels bad for Rudy because this was the biggest press conference on his life, his big chance to get Donald Trump another term as president, and his hair ruined the entire moment. Can you imagine if Abraham Lincoln was reading the Emancipation Proclamation and his beard just walked away. People would have been like, hey, yo, yo yo, yeah, man, forget about the slaves, man, yo yo, your chin hair just bounced be Yeah, you gotta look at that shit. But maybe this is the perfect combination of evil and ridiculous to end the Trump era. I think it's perfect because think about it. If someone said in twenty sixteen that this whole thing would end with Rudy Giuliani openly plotting a coup against the government, but no one would take him seriously because he had had dye running down his face the entire time. You'd be like, yeah, you know what it sounds about, right, Rudy Giuliani, former aide to Donald Trump and lawyer who makes all these clients look innocent in comparison. Since his role in the attempt to overthrow the twenty twenty election, Giuliani has largely disappeared from public view, like a snail retreating into its shell, but way more disgusting. And if there's one thing America loves, it's a big comeback. And last night Rudy got his.
Speaker 8: A little bit of controversy on the masked Singer. Last night, personal lawyer to former President Donald Trump and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani popped out of a giant rooster suit.
Speaker 2: While singing a rendition of Bad to the Bone.
Speaker 3: She turned the man.
Speaker 8: Away but boone, but as he revealed himself this is what happened, Judge Ken Jung stormed off the stage apparently didn't like it, saying I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rudy Giuliani just got voted off the Mosque Singer, which means he's about to spend the next five years claiming that he actually won the Mosque Singer. And I guess history history was made last night because for the first time in the most singer's history, a contestant took off their maskue and everyone's like, no, no, put it back on, put.
Speaker 5: It back on, put it on.
Speaker 2: We don't want to get put it back on. It's also weird how Rudy has the time to be on a game show, but he's too busy to testify in front of Congress, Like maybe they should have just tricked him, right, Congress should have just like made it seem like it was the Mars Singer combined the whole thing top him in the giant costume and then set him in front of the giants committee. Let's hear it. Yeah, that's the game show. American nemes Bernie Sanders would be sitting there like oh, based on his other disregard for democracy, I'm gonna guess the rooster is Rudy Giuliani.
Speaker 3: Let's take up to them.
Speaker 2: Let's see shakere word bottle and duck.
Speaker 7: I was dead. I told you old him.
Speaker 2: I could see that, the melting through the mask.
Speaker 7: I could see it.
Speaker 2: Trump's inner circle was well aware that the election did not go their way, and they told Trump except for one person who had the liquid courage to say that Trump did win.
Speaker 6: President Trump rejected the advice of his campaign experts on election night and instead followed the course recommended by an apparently debriated Rudy Giuliani to just claim he won and insists that the vote counting stop.
Speaker 2: Was there anyone in that conversation who, in your observation, had had too much to drink?
Speaker 5: Uh murder?
Speaker 9: Giuliani in the mirror was definitely intoxicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah. According to this former Trump aid, Rudy Giuliani was wasted on election night when he told Trump that the election was stolen from him. And I'm just curious about how you even know when Rudy Giuliani is drunk. No, because when a normal person is drunk, they say crazy things, they yell, they sweat a lot. So how does that work with the Rudy? Does it work in reverse? Like does he start talking normally? His head die sucks back into his hair? How does this work? And you know, it actually says a lot about Trump that a whole team of sober advisors, his attorney general, his campaign manager, his daughter who he wants to bang. Yeah, we haven't forgotten. They were all telling him you lost this election, sir. But then Trump was like, yeah, yeah, what have a drunk vampire? What do you think? You know, when you think about it, actually makes sense that Trump would listen to a drunk person because that's the one time people probably sound like him. You know, He's just like, what do you guys think? What should do? I'll tell you what I think what we should do? Wow, there's something about this guy.
Speaker 1: He totally gets it.
Speaker 3: You'll get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: You yet you he get it all right? You know, there are a lot of depressing things going on in America right now. So we decided let's start off today's show with some good news, and I'm talking about what happened to Rudy Giuliani, former New York City mayor and America's most illegal lawyer. You see, he was in a supermarket on Staten Island Sunday campaigning for his son, Andrew Giuliani, who's trying to make history as New York's first caveman governor. And thankfully Rudy is now doing okay offter, just barely surviving a heinous drive by on his upper back.
Speaker 10: A Staten Island grocery store workers facing assault charges accused of slapping former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani. This surveillance video shows the encounter inside a shop right store. The worker appears to hit Julianni on the back, prompting a reaction from the former mayor.
Speaker 9: NYPD has said that this man was a thirty nine year old sets back to approach. Giuliani slapped him in the back and said, what's up, scumbag. Giuliani refused medical attention at the scene, and the thirty nine year old was taken into custody with the NYPD recommending charges of second degree assault.
Speaker 2: Don't you enough? Don't you gen enough? This is second degree assaults. That's how tough New York's laws are. Third degree is if you lightly blow on someone's ear, and first degree is if you boop them on the nose. Boo ah, I've been hit.
Speaker 1: I've been hit.
Speaker 2: Please please, don't get me wrong. Don't get me wrong. I don't think it is right for anyone to be putting their hands on politicians or anyone for that matter, without their consent. Right, I'm not saying that, But no way in hell is that second degree assault? But belly till, that's not second If that's assault, then what I guess? Will Smith murdered Chris Rock. That's what happened there. And now I'm in the gray and the gray, and I love how I love how they say Rudy declined medical attention? Medical attention for what? For what? That's the kind of injury where the only thing you could do is kiss it and make it feel better.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Is it better, Rudy? Is it better? In fact, if anyone needs medical attention here, it's the guy who touched Rudy Giuliani. Yeah, that dude's hand probably looks like dumbledoors after he barehanded a Hawk crux. And yes, I will admit, I will admit this guy did sound aggressive. But you've got to understand, what's up, scumbag is just how people say hello on staten Nyland. You know, it's a normal conversation. What's up to come back? Nothing much for your mother, all right, well, not to see your grandma, but to me. To me, the best part of the story is that the more Rudy told it, the more the slap seemed to hurt.
Speaker 5: He hit me hard enough to knock me forward about like you know, elderly people die mostly from falls.
Speaker 6: This guy to kill me.
Speaker 4: I got hit on the back as if a boulder hit me. He knocked me forward Steppard two.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, I feel a shot on my back.
Speaker 4: Right, somebody shot me, you know that was that was the woman who was rubbing my back. The guy hit me so hard that she herself almost fell from the reverberation of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. He slapped me so hard my eyeballs fell out and I had to pick them up and put them back in. You all saw that he slapped me so hard I shit out the side of my face two years ago. Yeah, that's how hard it was. You saw it. Everybody. I felt that. I felt text. You know, I thought that Rudy was lying about the election being stolen because he was a Trump sick offense. It turns out he just lives in another world. This is just his brain. And I will say in his defense, in his defense, he was already in a weekened States. You know, you have to acknowledge that he was out during the day in a store that sells garlic. I mean, you know, it was hard for him. It was hard.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Plucks. This has been a Comedy Central podcast