Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central. It's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 1: This is The Daily Show with.
Speaker 3: Your host, Shown Steward.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Daily Show. My name is John Stewart. So let's get this show tonight.
Speaker 1: And we talked about this with the audience earlier.
Speaker 5: This is my last show before the election, but not my last show.
Speaker 1: I'm coming back, baby.
Speaker 5: But that doesn't mean I'm not stretched out. It's very stressful. The elections in a week. I only have one week left to decide who I'm going to vote for.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 5: Normally I just vote for whoever the Washington Post endorses, but I'm not an Amazon Prime member. But anyway, because it's the last week, both candidates have been out there on the trail making their closing arguments. First, Kamala Harris had a rally with Beyonce. I cannot wait to hear come on straight, She'll do that better than me.
Speaker 6: Your vote is one of the most valuable tools, and we need you.
Speaker 5: No no singing, just a heartfelt statement of the importance of the election. Good.
Speaker 1: I'm voting for Trump. That's just.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, as luck would have it, Donald Trump was holding a rally of his own right here in my backyard Madison Square Garden, world's most famous arena. Oh they're not doing They're saying, Bruce. I bet Trump's rally and Madison Square Garden is going to be incredibly entertaining and uplifting. As the Trump campaign enters its optimistic Morning in America phase with its lineup of stars.
Speaker 2: The legos.
Speaker 7: They got whatever they want.
Speaker 5: Don't they They're on the side of the terrorists.
Speaker 2: She is the devil whoever screamed.
Speaker 5: That her and her handlers will destroy our country.
Speaker 8: She is the Antichrist, the first Samoan Malaysian.
Speaker 1: Low iq, I love you Donald.
Speaker 5: I will never not be charmed by his girlish laugh. Now, generally that's a lineup that you see outside Madison Square Garden yelling it's strangers as they try to get inside Madison Square Garden. And let me just say, how dare they desecrate the stage that the piano man has consecrated?
Speaker 1: How dare you? How dare you listen amazing?
Speaker 5: You know how many scenes from an Italian restaurant He's going to have to play to exercise the demons that were on that exit. There is not enough down Easter Alexas in the wall to clear out that xenophob extentch you pieces. But of course, for the media, there was one moment in particular that raised the alarms. The opening app grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons. A comedian who offered unfunny, racist, cringe.
Speaker 9: Worthy jokes basically calling Puerto Rican's trash.
Speaker 10: The most repulsive racial jokes about Latinos, disgusting and hateful.
Speaker 11: So incredibly crude, frankly just too x rated to play here.
Speaker 1: Extremely vild so called jokes.
Speaker 5: Extremely vile so called jokes. She name checked my comedy album from the nineties.
Speaker 1: Did I really.
Speaker 5: I don't know who's ai me or that guy? Now, obviously in retrospect, having a roast comedian come to a political rally a week before election day and roasting a key voting demographic probably not the best decision by the campaign politically, But to.
Speaker 1: Be fair, the guy's really just doing what he does.
Speaker 5: I mean here he is at the Tom Brady roast a few months ago.
Speaker 12: The Great Jeff Ross, Ladies and gentlemen, Jeff is so Jewish he only watches football for the coin toss, Gronk, you look like the Nazi that kept burning himself on the ovens. Kevin is so small that when his ancestors picked cotton they called it deadlifting.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, of course, terrible blue. Yes, there's something wrong with me. I find that guy Verry funny.
Speaker 1: So I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 5: I mean, bringing them to a rally and have them not do roast jokes. I'd be like bringing Beyonce to a rally and.
Speaker 13: Oh, but you know what those people, those are just the underlings, and they brought a real dark, apocalyptic version of America to the stage.
Speaker 5: I'm sure former President Trump will temper those passions.
Speaker 8: On day one, I will launch the largest deportation program.
Speaker 1: In American history. Can you get the criminals out?
Speaker 5: Day one? Have a snack, meet the staff. Day one is typically we just read this Olympus. There's no generally no homework.
Speaker 1: But okay, day one, mass deportation. How exactly is that gonna happen?
Speaker 8: I will invoke the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Who the told Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: About the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight, Because I'm gonna bet you something. He did not come to the meeting and go, hey, why don't we use the seventeen ninety eight Alien Enemies Act? Would that apply? He's not a history buff, as we remember from his dissertation on Roberty Lee's role in the critical Civil War Battle of Getty's Part.
Speaker 9: And the statement of Roberty Lee never fight uphill.
Speaker 1: Me boys never fight uphill. They were fighting uphill.
Speaker 9: He said, Wow, that was a big mistake.
Speaker 5: He should he use the Alien Enemies Acts seventeen ninety eight to clear his enemies.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: From the man himself, that is his priority.
Speaker 1: Day one.
Speaker 5: I'm going to round up all the so called illegal immigrants. It's a tough policy, but I guess it's it's got to be done.
Speaker 1: And it's not like anyone else, i e.
Speaker 5: Legal immigrants or American citizens are going to be caught up in that dragnet. I'm sure that Trump's got a very detailed and precise plan.
Speaker 1: How many people are we talking about illegals?
Speaker 9: They think US two million is probably five times that amount year fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you hear seventeen we have twenty one million. At least twenty one million.
Speaker 10: I think it's much more than twenty one.
Speaker 5: So we are going to be rounding up and deporting between two and twenty one or more million people. But listen, they're all bad, and they've all committed terrible crimes, and we have cataloged without due process, the terrible things they have done.
Speaker 9: Yes, in Springfield, they're eating the dogs the people that came in, they're eating the cats, they're eating they're eating the pets of the.
Speaker 1: People that live there.
Speaker 5: So between two and twenty one million people, and while they weren't actually doing that, still chase them with guns because at the very least.
Speaker 1: They are here illegally. Yes, they are illegal.
Speaker 10: Donald Trump threatening to deport thousands of migrants in the country legally, so.
Speaker 1: That one's tricky.
Speaker 5: But I'm confident that on day one, when Trump does his mass deportation of anywhere from two to one hundred million people, it won't be you, It'll be them because of how precise Trump is, especially when it comes to people of color.
Speaker 1: I know Willie Brown very well. In fact, I went down in a helicopter with him, the African American politician, and question was not Willie Brown, but rather this man they've Holden.
Speaker 11: Holden saying quote, Willy is the short black guy living in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: I'm a tall black guy living in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: I guess we all look alike.
Speaker 5: I guess there's some confusion. But he's not deporting California politicians day one. And you know that story made him look racist. It's not the point. He really can't tell white people apart either.
Speaker 1: I said, marlel's on the foot up, that's Marla. Yeah, it's it's my wife, which.
Speaker 5: Here you just.
Speaker 1: Call and the person the woman on the right is your then wife. Know this was the picture.
Speaker 5: You know what, I just realized Donald Trump doesn't have affairs, just thinks everyone is his wife. So clearly, clearly, an attempt to deport between thirty and five hundred million people is going to be complicated. So it's going to be important to know how carefully the former president would execute this plan.
Speaker 1: A lot of the millions of people have had children here who are American citizens. So yes to mass deportation, even of women. And so we're going to look at it very closely.
Speaker 10: The way you phrase it is exactly right. You put one wrong person onto a bus or onto an airplane, then your radical left lunatics will try and make it sound like the worst thing that's ever happened.
Speaker 5: Because it's the worst thing that ever happened to them, the American citizens you mistakenly deport. Yeah, Trump is like and then makes me the bad guy. And why is my wife interviewing me? You are my wife, right, Marna, Evanna Evanka.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: This sounds all, but as everyone knows, you can never listen to what Trump's saying and hear it. I think you're taking everything a little bit too literally.
Speaker 3: Look, Trump speaks in hyperbole.
Speaker 1: This is nothing new. He's telling you what was in his heart.
Speaker 4: You always want to go by what's come out of his mouth rather than look.
Speaker 6: At what.
Speaker 5: You're right, Why hold former presidents to what they say they're going to do from their mouth holes. Perhaps if we only look inside Trump's heart, then we could see what, Oh, that's not French fries, and that's a lot of that's not good. Let's see if there's anything else behind that that we could Oh God.
Speaker 1: And bear spray e.
Speaker 5: I wonder which one of those is good cholesterol. Look, you know what, sure, maybe Trump's just talk. But on day one, when the deportation of between two and eleventy billion people begins, what will be the guiding principle? Perhaps we should ask the dead eyed architect of these plans, Stephen Miller.
Speaker 3: America for Americans and Americans only.
Speaker 1: Oh, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: We're only deporting people who've come here illegally, or people who have come here illegally but sneaky illegally, or people who have children who are actually citizens, or some people who look like they may have come here illegally, or people that have protested the war in Gaza, or a special prosecutor Trump doesn't like, like Jack Smith, which, by the way, name the more American name than Jack Smith. Where are you going to deport him to Fanuel Hall in Boston. Or maybe we're just going to be deporting the people that always bring wretchedness and want Oh I'm sorry, that's how we describe the Irish in eighteen thirty two. Or maybe we're just going to deport people whose race inherently it has a certain kind of criminality. Oh, I'm sorry. That was the Italians in nineteen eleven. The point is every one of these groups was at a place and time on the wrong side of not being American enough and right now, you think you're safe because the group Trump's talking about it's not you, as if are you sure this isn't my wife?
Speaker 1: Donald Trump can tell the fucking.
Speaker 5: Difference or even cares that the day one implementation of the seventeen ninety eight law that was last used to intern Japanese and German citizens in World War Two will be a fine toothed comb.
Speaker 1: It just makes me very sad, the whole thing, John, John, what the head tries, Jessica? Is it really you?
Speaker 11: Yeah, of course it's me. You think I'm a hologram. You think Comedy Central is hologram money. I'm just here in real life to tell you something. Okay, don't be sad, John, Everything's gonna be okay for you. A white guy, a rich old white guy.
Speaker 5: You think my rich old white guy privilege will save me.
Speaker 11: Maybe, But honestly, how much longer do you really have?
Speaker 1: Living? Wise?
Speaker 11: You have a terminal d right?
Speaker 3: What a termity disease?
Speaker 1: Are you dying? No? I'm fine. Why would you think that?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: No, just your general vibe and the whole the space thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, but I get why you've aged so much.
Speaker 11: It's been a whole last year of you grinding out every single day on the show.
Speaker 1: I only host on Mondays.
Speaker 11: Oh really, damn? Okay, double wolf. Look, it doesn't matter, Okay, no, come on, come on, it doesn't matter because for non old white people, for people of color and women and queer people, it's gonna be a completely different story. All right, now, let me give you some advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah mind, Oh yes, look, John, I know you're exhausted. Hell I'm exhausted. Everybody's exhausted.
Speaker 11: Anger and disappointment in our political discourse is exhausting. But it's easy to throw up our hands and be like, fine, I'm tired, go ahead and take people's rights. I'm just gonna plow through a case of Truly's in binge fifty two episodes of Love Island. Oh oh, you want to know what those are? Truly's a heart Seltzer. Love Island is like gilling his island.
Speaker 1: With Oh what channel is that on? Hey?
Speaker 11: No, focus, Okay, I just want to be clear, all right, Do not let them exhaust you. Don't let the constant draining bullshit wear you out. Do not turn away, look at right down that barrel and say not today, apathy. I'm only having half a case of truly's and no matter what happens, we have to throw our arms around the people who need.
Speaker 1: Us the most and hang the fuck on.
Speaker 11: All right, except for you, John, I'm here now. You can let go, sweetheart, Let go, John. I'll tell them your story.
Speaker 1: But I I just signed on for another year.
Speaker 3: So what with your doctors.
Speaker 1: Or with the with the network?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you're crazy.
Speaker 1: You think you're gonna lived for another year?
Speaker 3: That's optimistic?
Speaker 8: Does to go?
Speaker 6: Will I?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 13: Come back?
Speaker 2: Governor?
Speaker 5: Doctor Bill is going to go.
Speaker 1: You son't go away?
Speaker 7: Come there? What about the daily.
Speaker 5: Shown that showed up when you spoked about earlier? My guest tonight, Pennsylvania's chief executive. Please welcome to the program, Governor Josh Shapiro.
Speaker 1: So I have to see good to be seen.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something. It's been so long since I have had a guest my size.
Speaker 1: They come in here with their height. Yeah, I did this for you. Thank You're having a good day. That's exactly right. I was re elected for another year.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 1: It was easy. It was that easy. Put a couple of signs the question.
Speaker 5: I think. Look, it's very clear to me people are on edge. In a way I haven't seen in a very long time. In your mind, you're on the ground there. Who will be the president of Pennsylvania?
Speaker 1: My wife, Floria will be the president. Really, it won't be me.
Speaker 5: Are they tired yet of the swing state status of the constant barnstorming your your lovely state of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, yes and no, it's close, right, but but let me just for those of you out there kind of worrying about this, the last two presidential races in Pennsylvania came down to a less than a point, so of course the polls are going to be close. Now. Are folks tired of maybe some of the commercials and things on TV? Yeah, But I think folks also understand that they have an extraordinary power here, and with that power comes your real responsibility. I think maybe the dude, you can't just sit here and quote Spider.
Speaker 5: Man, no, just throw no buy power comes responsive.
Speaker 1: I'll let I go. Let me take a lead here. I want to take a lead from Spider Man. Yes to Ben Franklin. Okay, follow me on this, Follow me on this. Ben Franklin, famously one of the signatories to the Constitution, signs the Constitution walks out of Independence, Hall is greeted by a woman on those cobblestone streets of Philadelphia. She looks him in the eye and says, mister Franklin, what do we have here, a monarchy or a republic. Franklin looks her in the eye and says, a republic. If you can keep it those five words, if you can keep it. That's been our calling card, that's been our charge. So yes, we enjoy this sort of temporary status as a swing state. Let me tell you something. We've been fighting for democracy for two hundred and forty eight years, and I'll be damned if we're going to stand down on this task. We're gonna stand up and we're going to get the job done. And I believe we're gonna let Kamala Harris next president. By the way, by the way, I am answer your question. By the way, fun fact here, Yes, Ben Franklin my predecessor.
Speaker 7: It's true.
Speaker 1: He's like the what is the Craig Kilbourne of Pennsylvania? He was the O of there? What's been Franklin the governor of Pennsylvania. He was.
Speaker 5: That is not something that I knew was a part of his story. I knew that he would walk out on the street and women were just accost him about.
Speaker 1: The form of that. We would be not a similarity, I said much. I will say this.
Speaker 5: You know, we talk a lot about democracy and fighting for freedom and all those kinds of things, and I'm of a mindset and it gets to something that you had done in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump, to me, is a symptom of.
Speaker 5: A government that is at times not particularly agile and responsive to the needs of the people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: It's what breeds space sometimes for demagogues. You did something in Pennsylvania that I thought was really interesting that I hadn't seen in a long time. Ninety five burned down. There was there's for those of you who drive in that area. Ninety five is the aorda that takes.
Speaker 1: Seventy six thousand cars and trucks every day.
Speaker 5: Right, it burns down, And I'm immediately thinking, because you know, I'm aware of construction projects. I live in New York City, I immediately think, well, oh, Pennsylvania is now closed, and it'll be nice. I have family there and hopefully they'll be alive fifteen or twenty years from now. You fixed it in what.
Speaker 1: Twelve days was what was done well. First off, we brought the attitude that I talk about every day in governing, our GSD attitude, and I think I could say it here, our get shit done attitude. I think I'm going to stop you right there. Don't you ever for I assume I got bleep, But I'm serious. I think a lot of times folks don't have that attitude in government and they sort of let things happen. We have a get shipped done attitude. We have the best workers in the world in those Philadelphia, but.
Speaker 5: There are barriers, there are regulatory barriers.
Speaker 1: And we summoned everybody together. And when folks told me it was going to take a month to figure that out, I'd say, you have an hour. When they said we need three days, I said, you've got a day. And what we constantly did was push the envelope. You know what we found when we push people, they felt empowered and they were able to stand up and they made decisions when they were standing on that roadway, and they were innovative and they were creative. Right, And we have the best workers in the world, and we showed that when the eyes of the world were on us in Pennsylvania. We know how to get shit done, and we got it done, and we got it done in just twelve days. But it's an amazing story.
Speaker 5: But you understand my point, which is, oh, why aren't we doing that for housing what we want?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: So, for those who are critical of government, yeah, you look at that situation and go, wait a minute, this can be done.
Speaker 1: And it's just a question of so have.
Speaker 5: Those of us on the left who believe government still has a big role to play in people's lives, have we in some ways undercut our own argument by overregulation or the types of things that keep us from getting shit Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think so. Look, I believe government can be a force for good in people's lives. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing this work. Otherwise I wouldn't have dedicated my life to public service. But I think sometimes you're right over regulation too much overthinking and taking power away from the people who work in government who have dedicated their lives to serving others, and instead you set up a process on top of the process on top of the process, you never actually get things done. It's one of my biggest frustrations, and by the way, I think it's one of the things to your point earlier. That has maybe led to people feeling frustrated and looking for others who might be dangerous, destructive forces like Donald Trump to kind of shake things up.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: We've heard that before. I want to shake things up in a good way with people who get to give a damn about other people's lives and who want to lift people up, not tear them down. I think we're proving how to do that in Counsylvania.
Speaker 5: So what happened with ninety five in twelve days? You take a disaster and read open it? Have you thought about doing it with the Pennsylvania Turnpit. I think we're doing all right on the Urn play you're not doing all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you're by the Jersey No no, no, no no.
Speaker 5: Whenever I get on the tour, you get a certain point passed like Bucks County, wherever the nice people, and then all of a sudden, the whole ride is this. Yeah, and then all of a sudden, somewhere around Happy Valley, it just goes down.
Speaker 1: One lane and you're like, what the hell's going on around here? It's infrastructure night here at the daily Thank you great, but listen, I mean there's a serious point when people see their roads being fixed, when they see their internet being connected, when they see the lead being taken out of their water lines so their kids can drink water and the parents don't have to worry about it. That's real stuff that matters to people. That's putting points on the board for folks. That's what I'm trying to do every day in Pennsylvania. And by the way, that's what Kamala Harris is going to do for this country. That by the way, it's beautiful, sing beautiful.
Speaker 5: What are so when you have that experience with ninety five, did you go back into the kind of infrastructure agenda or the other things in Pennsylvania And was it an epiphany? Did you think, think to yourself, I've got to go in there with a more forceful, innovative attitude to do that. And have there been other things that have occurred that you thought, hey, man, I think we've got something here in terms of a methodology we did.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's stay with roads and bridges. Last year in Pennsylvania, as a result of that GSD attitude, we repaired more poor conditioned bridges than any other state in the entire country. We did that because We were aggressive. We put the funding together, and we empowered people to say that bridge is a problem, let's get to work, let's get it done. People want to see their tax dollars go to things that benefit them. Shorten their commune times, get their kids to school on time, whatever it is, and we're getting that done in the Commonwealth. Connect it to their to their lives. Was it hard for you?
Speaker 5: Know, you were very much talked about as a vice presidential candidate and you were vetted.
Speaker 1: Were you vetted?
Speaker 10: I was?
Speaker 1: And when they vetted you, did they go.
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: They like after they vetted you, like, does you have any gummies that dude has? I wish I'm pretty boring, Honestly. The hardest part of that vetting part was finding all my old taxes. That was very hard. How far back do they make you go? It goes back pretty far. One night, I'm sitting there on the floor on all fours trying to go through all the paperwork. Y, I don't need to know that.
Speaker 14: No, no, no, no no no, And my wife walks in and she goes, right, I walked into that, didn't I a little bit?
Speaker 1: I did it? You walked into my wife? She looks at me, it goes if only the American people could see you right now, I'm literally just trying to find our attacks well right now they're imagining it. But it does surprise me. Doesn't the federal government have your tax records?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't. Look.
Speaker 15: They asked me that there wasn't much to see. John, all right, can we be done down? Because I feel like, yeah, so you're on offul So so's where I thought were you were you?
Speaker 16: Was it?
Speaker 1: Was it disappointing?
Speaker 5: Was there a feeling that you had like you know, people said like, oh, it's because he's Jewish or too ambious, Like was there something inside you that thought?
Speaker 1: What was it that? Okay, not at all. Listen. First off, Kamala Harris made an outstanding pick in Tim. He's done. He's a great guy. His wife Gwen is great friends with my wife Lori. These are great public servants. And Tim Walls is going to be a great vice president of the United States. And I'm all in for Kamala Harrison.
Speaker 5: Tim Walls, Right, And you're and you've been by the way, really bonstorming Pennsylvania. I mean, you're you're really to you what's the key in Pennsylvania that you believe like he's got a tremendous amount of strength.
Speaker 1: You think in the rural areas.
Speaker 5: Does it come down once again to sort of the suburbs of Bucks County? Is it about turnout in Philadelphia? What are the parameters of what makes Pennsylvania's a complicated place?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Look, I guess the answer is all of the above.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Bucks County, pretty swingy county in a swing state. Sure, turnout in Philly is critically important, but don't write off those rural areas. I spent a lot of time out there, spent a lot of time listening to folks, delivering for them. They'll vote for a Democrat. The good news is Kamala Harrison. They did. I mean they years ago.
Speaker 5: Those were really blue areas, the blue collar areas, yep.
Speaker 1: And look, some of that's changed over time, but part of it is I think they've been sort of thirsting for someone who's going to speak to their challenge. I'll give you one example of that. When I was running for governor, I spent a lot of time in those communities. I remember being in a hunt club in Butler County and one of the folks was talking to me about the fact that they feel like they can never get ahead, and of a college degree, I feel like they can never get ahead. And then folks and government are never actually talking to them, never actually trying to lift them up. First thing I did when I got elected governor, literally a first executive WD I signed, was doing away with the college degree requirement for ninety two per cent of state government jobs. It's sixty six thousand jobs. That's your requirement.
Speaker 5: You can't work in state government without a college look forward, now you can for most states.
Speaker 1: That way is that I can't speak to the other state. But a whole lot of surprise values a lot of the private sector of things, we set these artificial barriers to entry where folks aren't given a shot. Listen, I think people have the freedom to chart their own course and the opportunity to succeed. And when you say to someone, hey, we don't value your military service, we don't value your service in a union just because you didn't go to college, that says to a whole swath of the public, we're not into you, We're not there for you. Well, Kamala Harris, she's showing up in those communities that I spend a whole lot of time in and she announced that the federal government would be doing a way with that college degree requirement, opening up the doors of opportunity. It's small to more people, as it should be. I didn't even know that much a requirement, quite black poys. I think Democrats should never write off these rural communities. We've got to show up, we got to sign to people, and we've got to make sure we show them that we can deliver for them.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm surprised sometimes because I do hear that a lot about oh, people don't talk to those communities. But you know, in general, I think there's a great deal of respect for heartland communities. If anything, I've always felt kind of the opposite, that there's this feeling that that's real America and that in areas you know, in the cities and things.
Speaker 1: Like that, that that is.
Speaker 5: That that's looked down upon or that's ridiculed. So I think all of those communities maybe it's less of a blue red state divide and more of an urban rural kind of divide.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I think you get in trouble if you ever say one part of America is more real than any other part of America that doesn't do that all the time.
Speaker 5: I mean there's a lot of like all your remembers, Oh, the Democrats are communists who don't live in real America.
Speaker 1: And I think the Republicans do that. I think what Democrats are doing a far better job of, and I think you're seeing it more and more in this campaign is treating all people with respect, no matter what you look like, where you come from, who you love, or who you pray to look That's one of the biggest beefs I have with Donald Trump. I mean, he is always trying to create others in our society, separating people out. You talked about this in your opening. When you start separating it out one person because they live in this community, they worship a certain way, you make everyone less safe. You limit the possibility of not just them, but of all Americans. Well, it's also easy.
Speaker 5: I mean it's you know what, They're not just separating people, They're separating the people who are most vulnerable. I mean, I live in New York City. Every commercial is either we're being overrun by hordes of gang members that are illegal or trans people are taking over all of women's sports, and you really do think sometimes like oh shit, they are like it actually like it gets to you and you realize like, oh, that's a strategy to find the most vulnerable people that people don't really protect and blow it out to be as though it's the most crucial issue that anybody could see.
Speaker 1: I mean, dividing us. So Donald Trump plays a game every day of subtraction, right, I think we're trying to play a game of addition, bringing more people into the conversation, engaging more people. I think when you divide people the way Trump is, you may get some short term political win, like the presidency. Let's hope you let's hope now. No, I'm just saying, but I think it's dangerous and destructive for America. Dangerous and destructive for America.
Speaker 5: Here's another one, and they're saying that this may be one of the crucial issues of the entire election, which is Israel Gaza Pala sign. You and I are both I'd say five foot seven issues. I go with five to nine on my you know my card, I'm sure you do. If you need me to scribble on that card for you, I'd be happy to Where are we going with this? John so I find that because I'm doing people turn to me and immediately go, like, Israel will do something, and they'll turn to me.
Speaker 1: And go, you're gonna let that happen? An expert, You must be an expert or something like that.
Speaker 5: But in truth, I want to know your level of discomfort with the way things are progressing and what impact it may have on the election here because you and I are both raised, probably in a very similar way, to always be on the side of Israel and never again all those other things, and it's been really uncomfortable to have big cracks in that facade for me, and I wonder if you face the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, obviously, folks ask me about it all the time, as I'm sure they ask you. I haven't found it. My job description is governor of Pennsylvania, but I'm happy to oblige and write. You don't get to make treaties and things like that. No, No, we don't do that.
Speaker 5: You never thought about attacking Delaware.
Speaker 1: I do think we could take them, But I do love Dell. No problem, Listen. I have enough capacity in my heart to mourn for the Israelis for what happened on October seventh, it is horrible. Hamas is a terrorist group, and Hamas murdered twelve hundred people. They took two hundred and fifty people hostage, including Americans John and they brutally raped and sexually assaulted women. Was awful, and I have a lot of capacity in my heart to mourn for those and to feel horrible for what happened there. I also have the capacity in my heart to see what's happening in Gaza to these innocent folks, these women and children, and I warned for them as well. I want these hostages home. I want this war to end, and I want us to figure out a way.
Speaker 5: Why, because it seems like the logical human answer, which is, Oh, I'm mourn for the hostages and I'm worn for those lives loves, And I also think what's happening in Gaza is untenable and tragic and a catastrophe. So why do we feel so helpless? It just how how are we not able to impact and bring that to a close? Do you have you do you think about how that will come to a close? How do we get a free and safe Israel and a free and safe and independent Palaestine.
Speaker 1: Look, my hope is that you know, with the hostages immediately returned home with an end to this war, that we can create an environment not just in Israel and in Gaza, but throughout the Middle East where folks want peace, where we actually have leaders who are willing to make peace. I would think the folks do it. Seems like the leaders are the ones. Yeah, I'm trying to be real here. I mean, look, Hamas is a terrorist group. They're not interested in making peace. Now, I would argue Benjamin Natania, who is not interested in making peace. And so you've got people who are in theory supposed to be sitting at the table and discussing ways to try and help their people exist, who don't actually want that.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not putting Natanna who on the same scale as a terrorist group. I want to be really clear and really precise in my words, but we have got to involve a broader Middle East coalition. We've got to involve other nations of the world who will hopefully be able to come in and create the opportunity for a secure Israel, for a peaceful place for Palestinians to be able to live independent, free state economic opportunities. I do believe. No, I do believe in a two state solution, and I have for some that adult What is this is?
Speaker 5: By the way, what is happening right now is every passover dinner throughout generally my entire lifetime.
Speaker 1: Is this what it is? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I have.
Speaker 5: So most of my relatives are not politically aligned with where I am. Okay, and so a lot of times at dinner it gets.
Speaker 1: Feisty, doesn't it. Do you win those arguments? I do not.
Speaker 5: It generally ends with them just going then leave in your own home or usually well, listen, man, I know these are all difficult conversation, those kind of things.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you being here.
Speaker 5: Any advice for those who are just trying to survive that final week and getting the election, and any advice to people that have friends in Pennsylvania that can urge them to do anything to get involved, Well.
Speaker 1: I would say, anybody here from New York, hop on a train, hop on a bus, hop in your car, bike, whatever, come to Pennsylvania, knock on some doors and take this sort of energy that you have and channel it into action. We could use a whole lot more help there. We've got a hell of a ground game in Pennsylvania. We welcome people to support us and.
Speaker 5: The people of Pennsylvania. If let's say we were all to show up on bicycles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would not show up in a Mets hat. I would not show up in a Giants jersey. Do you know?
Speaker 5: I have a bet so Jalen Brunson of the Knicks.
Speaker 1: I remember him, the point guard Villanova.
Speaker 5: So he bet me that if the Giants lose to the Eagles, I have to come to Madison Square Garden in a Saquon Barkley Eagles jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if you remember the Eagles beat the Giants. Yeah, I remember, And so I have to go through that humiliation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I look forward to that. Yeah, Ladies and gentlemen, Governor Josh Shapirol, where don't.
Speaker 14: Take you ideas?
Speaker 1: Go chuk for tonight.
Speaker 5: Before we go, we check in with a very own Jordan Kupper and Ronnie Chang.
Speaker 1: Guys, what's trying.
Speaker 10: Me? Go?
Speaker 7: Well, John, I'm hosting the Daily Show all this week.
Speaker 16: Yes, and I have an election special airing tonight right after the Daily Show where I go to Trump Rallies with some very special guests.
Speaker 1: Do not miss it. But that both sounds great. That sounds great, yes.
Speaker 16: Yes, but which one sounds better to you?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 6: Who do you endu us?
Speaker 16: And you know before you add to remember that Ronnie Chang wants to eat your cats and dogs?
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, Jordan told me he thinks Hitler had good ideas.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know this, but it's not like the election. I can just watch both. I got it true. That is very true.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yep, that that is fair. But Jordan still likes Hitler.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ryan, Ronnie Chang? Oh week this week, everybody Chilling.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts