Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spoffor, joined as always by my trusted colleague West Hodkwitz. We're coming to you here from the Pottawatami Sportsbook Studio inside the walls of Lambeau Field, and we've got a lot to cover on this show because Sunday's full pads practice that we saw at Nichgie Field was a big one with a lot of stuff happening. But before we get to that, we need to talk about that preseason opener in Pittsburgh last Thursday night, where I think you and I both agree the headliner at the top of the list was rookie kicker Trace Smack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a quintessential performance there by Smack. When we spend all this time talking about these practices, all these times, talking about OTAs and mini camp and training camp in the Hudson Center and Raynichkie Field, at the end of the day, this game of kicking comes down to when the lights are on, you're out there on the field, can you make the kicks? And it just so happens that Tray Smack made to the longest ones in Packers' history. In that game against Pittsburgen, and that's what this was all advertised as. Right when they drafted him, everybody talked about the leg strength and the leg power. Ten made field goals from beyond fifty yards and you see it. It's a natural kicking motion. He is not wailing at it. He is not just trying to put everything. The guy is just a natural kicker. And for him to go out there and make all three of his field goals, unfortunately that first fifty eight yard got waved off because of a penalty. On for end of the show, former Packers' defensive lineman Dean Lowry roughing the snapper, moved the Packers fifteen yards ahead. He ends up still making Smack that is, ends up making a thirty seven yard field goal, and then right before halftime goes out there and makes a fifty eight yarder. It was the biggest bright spot and for the Packers making that investment in us talking both some of the ebbs and flows that Smack has been through here early on. I think it was an encouraging performance for everybody involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought it was really interesting. Couple interesting things. One is that as I believe we talked about or if we didn't talk about it on the show. I know I mentioned it in some of the writing from last week that Akrascher Stadium formerly known as Hinz Field in Pittsburgh is not normally kind to kickers. And I don't know for sure what officially the longest field goal made in that stadium is. I know that nobody has made a fifty eight yard or in the regular season there. Obviously, you know, August in Pittsburgh is a lot different than you know, November and December and Pittsburgh, and you know, there are no such thing as official preseason records and whatnot. But the fact that, the fact that Smack did that, and at the time on that opening drive, the word from Matt Lafleur was that special team's coordinator Cam Acord was saying, no, we're not gonna We're not gonna try a fifty eight yarder, and Lafleur's like, yes, we are, and he sent the rookie kicker out, I mean, his first kick in as a rookie in an NFL preseason game fifty eight yards in a tough venue, and he drilled it. Obviously that you know, just put that much more confidence in him when he was called on for another fifty eight yarder as you mentioned, right at the end of the first half. So it was it was a special night for Smack and maybe the best thing on the mental side of things, aside from the confidence boost, is then you were talking to him after the game in the locker room and he was even saying, you know, I've already moved on to Denver. You know, he's already thinking about the next game, the next challenge. You know, the altitude, the different stadium, everything that's going to be facing him this week. As he needs to go out now and begin to as they say, stack the success. That's the next challenge for Trace Mack.
Speaker 2: He we got him in the locker room. Larry mccahron asked a very fair question of him, you know, basically boiling down for you, what'd you think about your day? And Smack just said, matter of factly, I hit the ball pretty well, and that was it. This is the way the guy's going to approach it. And certainly when you look at the kicking position, there is an element what ties all these guys together, whether it's Chris Boswell in the other locker room, whether it was Mason Crosby who did it for here for so many years, or Ryan Longwell, who we found out was at practice last week for a couple days and was having some conversations with Trey Smack. What binds all these guys together, It's the idea that whatever you did today, you got to go and try to be consistent about it and repeat it again tomorrow. It's not always going to happen that way, but then when there is a miskick, it's how do you bounce back from it. I think Smack has that right approach and understanding that this is a very long game. And he actually was very thankful to the coaching staff and Matt Lafleur for how they've handled things too, because there was a couple of days where he went out there at Nichki and the kicks didn't go in, whether it be the win or just a couple of mishits on his part. Cam A Cord, Matt Lafleur, they've been very adamant and consistent about the messaging as it pertains to Smack and the idea that we understood what we were doing. When Brian Goodkuin's moved up to take him in the sixth round. When you tie yourself to a rookie kicker, there's going to be some rough patches. The Packers went through that with Mason Crosby. They went through that Mason Crosby six years into his NFL career, right, But by staying the course with him, that ultimately is what sort of led the way to them being able to solve that kicking equation for fifteen years. So the hope of me is that Smack can be that guy. And this was one small victory in what is ultimately going to be a much bigger battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a process here to this, right, and that process is just getting going because really the process will be his entire rookie season. It's not just training camp leading up to Week one. It's everything that happens between now in January. As far as the starters in the game in Pittsburgh, they got the work that they needed. The offense got the one third down conversion which set up the long field goal. Then the possession gets extended as you mentioned by the penalty on the first kick, but then unable to convert that drive into a touchdown. So they settle inn for the shorter field goal. The number one defense goes out there and gets a three and out right away. Aaron Rodgers was not playing. The Steelers had their starters out there with Mason Rudolph, and not even all their starters. There were other offensive guys gathering. Yeah, it was. It was a hodgepodge of kind of ones and twos for the Steelers in both instances. But I thought, I thought, as far as the ones go, the Packers got what they wanted, what they needed out of it. We'll see what Matt Lafleur says and decides to do, you know, with Regard Denver this week in that regard. But then the other headline really for green Bay in this game became number three quarterback Kyle McCord, the former sixth round pick of the Philadelphia Goals out of Syracuse. He comes to Green Bay late last season and he'd been battling with the undrafted rookie Chiron Drones from Virginia Tech for the number three job, and he won it already because the Packers have now released drones. McCord very impressive performance in a number of different respects, not only the I mean he call it a two minute drive, but it was really a thirty eight second drive at the end of the first half to get the long kick from Smack. But also just some of the things that he responded to in terms of when he had a guy in his face and when he had to, you know, deliver a ball, you know, maybe a little bit off schedule or not in the traditional fashion, and he was out there making plays and moving the chains and it was I thought it was a really impressive outing from McCord, and I think everybody's now looking to see what he's going to do in his next preseason opportunity come Friday night in Denver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kal McCord did what Tim Boyle did in the past, what Taysom Hill had done. These guys that were undrafted free agents or in his case, a late round pick, that are that are trying to make a bid for the fifty three man roster, you have to go out there and make plays. Nobody is. Everybody understands what this is. They understand what the offensive line is going to look like. They understand sometimes you're gonna be going up against two, sometimes threes, maybe even sometimes once. Right, So Graham Harold did to make the roster back in twenty twelve. You sometimes are going to have to go through challenging circumstances. And what I was most impressed with of everything that mccorr did, it was setting up that field goal for Smack. I mean, the guy has I think, what did we end up going on? It was thirty five seconds we were going back to it was.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought it was thirty seven because that's what I had in my notebook, But then the official play by play from the NFL said the first down play after the kickoff was run at thirty eight seconds, so it was essentially a thirty seven second drive because he did the spike them with one tick left on the clock for the kicker.
Speaker 2: And as Matt Lafleur said, the threes have not had a lot of those opportunities to run a two minute situation and for him to navigate that find all these receivers think he makes four completions. And then also, I mean credit to the offense for being able to set they had twelve seconds left, being able to get the quick throw and they're able to clock it with one second left. I mean, that's about as good of a job as you can ask for from a number three quarterback or a guy that has projected to be in that spot. So absolutely McCord started camp. I thought kind of slow, started the offseason program, kind of slow. It would look like it was a pretty tight battle there for a minute between him and Drones.
Speaker 1: I thought so too.
Speaker 2: Practice after practice, throw after throw. It was eighteen that kept showing up a little bit more and a little bit more. And Mike, you and I have covered these teams, whether it was Mike McCarthy or it's been in the Matt Leafloor era. When you get to mid August, if injuries are not an issue, there's going to be fewer opportunities for that fourth quarterback to get snaps. The Packers decide to cut bait. Now they're going to presumably see a lot of Tyrod Taylor, a lot of Kyle McCord the rest of this preseason. We'll see what else happens with Jordan Love. And they feel confident about that. So d face the first part of this thing. He beat out Drones. Now he has two more weeks here to show that he's the right guy to be QB three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be sure as well, it wasn't a perfect showing by Kyle McCord. I mean, he's going to look at the film. The coaches are going to look at the film. One of the sacks that he took. I think it's one of those that is kind of on the quarterback because the protection was there, but he's trying to make a play, held the ball too long, you know, didn't get out when he had an opportunity, or didn't get rid of the ball when he had an opportunity. So those are the moments even within a really, really good performance. Kyle McCord is going back to the practice field this week and he's going to be heading into Denver knowing that, Okay, that's the kind of play that I can't let that happen again. Right, So, still plenty to work on there, But as you mentioned, he's going to get a lot more practice reps now because they aren't splitting the threes between two different quarterbacks. He's the guy who gets to take all of those and it should only benefit him. So that said, the Packers were then back on the practice field. Actually they were back on the practice field on Saturday, but that was a closed practice, no media, no fans. Then Sunday was the traditional open training camp practice, and the big news, of course was tight end Tucker Craft was back in the eleven on eleven. Now, I wonder if he was in the eleven on eleven in the close practice on Saturday, and we just did We just didn't know. But whatever the case, as I said in our three things video, you wrote about it in the five Things from practice that's posted on the website, you would not know based on how the eleven on eleven went in Sunday's practice that that was the first time anybody had seen Tucker Craft do eleven on eleven of any type since early November. I mean, he looked, he really did look like he had never left.
Speaker 2: He said three things, no pun intending trade mark, registered trademarker in effect. He said three things in his press conferences media scrum afterwards. In all three of them really hit home for me. The first one is how different this Packers offense is when he's on the field. He says that humbly, but it's true. The Packers' offense, it operates at a different level when number eighty five is out there. I thought you saw it. I love what I saw in the two minute periods. I love the fact that there were five targets, there were some competitive plays out there. Kraft made every single play, in my goodness, when he got to the end zone. Ryan Wood even made the comment in the media scrum, I mean the force that he spiked that ball with when he scored on that twelve yard slant, there was you could feel like nine months, nine and a half months of just there was an aggression built up.
Speaker 1: There was a Catharsis to that spike in the end zone. For sure.
Speaker 2: You don't see those typically in the practice, even a padded practice at that. And then seeing the way the guys embraced him, and I put that in the notes package we had, I mean the star fish, as he calls it, the chest pumps. I mean, like every single guy that was in a vicinity of him, and some of them that were even on the sideline, We're going out there to celebrate with Tucker Kraft. That's how you end up as a captain in year three, right, That's what he means to this football team. And the other thing he said that I really I loved it. It was such an interesting thing. He doesn't follow the trends of social media. He doesn't watch television. He reiterates that, but he understands that some of the criticisms of his game and you know how he is against man and yeah, it was. This guy's just you know, kind of a zone merchant and being able to break tackles, which, by the way, heck of a way to make a career if you can do that. He is so motivated to become a complete tight end, and that it goes into the last point I want to make from his media scrum, which is his whole thing. It's a very similar mentality to what Micah Parsons has had. It's not about coming back the same player that he was, it's about coming back even better. He felt like he was in the conversation for the best tight end of the league last year. Now he wants to make sure that there's no doubts about it. So he said, he watched all the film three times over of all the Packer games. He went back and he was watching San Francisco film to see how George Kittle operates in a very comparable offense with what Kyle Shanahan runs in San Francisco. This guy left no stone unturned. So in so many ways, everything that we saw in the practice field on Sunday. Probably shouldn't come as a surprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And he expressed continue to express his confidence that this new contract is going to get done, and you know, yeah, the goal is to get it done by week one. But it's the way he talked about it. It's not something that he seems overly concerned about. He's focused on. You know, he's getting ready to play a full season here for the Green Bay Packers, knowing what he means to the team, knowing what he means to all those guys in the locker room, and it absolutely should something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've covered this team a long time. When was the last time, truly, I know there was ended up being a second deal with Jramichael Finley, but when was the last time the Packers had a tight end on this roster where you're like, my goodness, this thing has to get done. Yeah, respectfully, Like when I think about Tucker Craft, because people always say this, like and they always want to worry about it. Whatever guy's contract is coming up, they want to worry about it. Hey, when are we going to take care of Jaden Reied? When are we going to take care of Christian Watson? When is the Jordan Love deal going to be done? Jordan Love's not practicing this week, when are they going to get it done? I don't know. In all my time, which is again several years fewer than your tenure here, I don't know if there's ever been a deal where I've just said I have no concern about it. I think the Packers are going to do right by him, and I think Tucker Craft was cut out of rock, cut out of Marble to be a Green Bay Packer, and so again we'll see how it all shapes up. But this it makes sense from a personal standpoint, but also from the same point, the Packers haven't had a tight end like this, at least during my time covering the team.
Speaker 1: And I'll make a couple of points here. One the reason I'm also not worried about it is because of what the Packers did with Christian Watson over the course of the last couple of years and how they treat did everything with regard to his ACL injury. Obviously, the injury history of the two players is very different. But but I think what went on with Christian Watson is is certainly a sign that this thing with Tucker Craft is going to get done. The other thing, I'll say a little bit more to your point, the last when when Tucker Craft went down last November and then we found out the next day whatever it was, that that it was a season ending injury and he was done. The last time that I can remember being legitimately concerned about what was going to happen with the offense missing a tight end of that caliber was when Jermichael Finley went down in twenty ten, because he was such a big part of things. And now Finley's injury was even earlier in that season, which in a lot of ways benefited the team because they had that much more time to adjust and by the end of the season, you had almost like forgotten that Jermichael fle was even part of the team. And I don't mean that in any just disrespect to him, but injuries in November compared to injuries in September early October are very different in terms of how they affect a football team. So that's that's what sticks in my mind about Craft, because because that's the last time that I felt that way about the Packers losing a tight end. This wasn't just oh, somebody else can step in and do what he does or come close like no, that that's that's not the case and U And yeah, I mean, more power to him. I I agree with you that that I don't think there should be major concerns about this contract. It's just the kind of thing that it's just the kind of thing that takes time because they're they're complicated and there's a lot of things to consider from both sides and U and so they're gonna take their time and get it done.
Speaker 2: You just you just don't see tight ends get to market. They just don't. They always get done. I mean, it's I'm trying to think the last time I'm talking about it. I'm not talking about Evan Ingram like randomly anding up in Jackson. I'm talking about the last time like a premiere tight end reach the market. It just doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So uh And the other thing is too, that I think is really exciting. Tucker Craft is not worried about it. Yeah, you know, I mean if there's if he wasn't being asked the question, Tucker Craft wouldn't be talking.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't even be talking about it. Yeah, he's exactly. He's answering the questions because he's being asked. But honestly, it feels to me like his his focus is uh, as he likes to say, and as a lot of guys like to say, his focus is on the things that he can control, and he's not in control of the contract situation. So he's going to let the people he hired and let the packers figure it out.
Speaker 2: And what was the juice like in that practice too? And maybe you're going to talk about after the break? I mean we had we had a scuffle out there. You know, it's hire Franklin mixing it up with Chris Brooks, I mean, Franklin and Tucker Again. It just the vibes were high on the field, like it just it just seemed like it everything went to just another gear on Sunday. Now maybe that was a two hour and ten minute practice, I don't know, but it felt like football. Sunday felt like a football, Yeah, it really did.
Speaker 1: I want to talk some more about that, but we do have to pay some bills here, So let's hear a quick word from our sponsors. Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Hey, Packers fans looking to score a few more Wisconsin memories from Devils Lake State Park to the Milwaukee Art Museum. Discover all the wonders of Wisconsin at travel Wisconsin dot com slash Wonders. Welcome back to Packers unscripted. You said it wes that practice on Sunday, it was at a different level it And yes, I don't know if if if it was just a combination of all of Tucker craft being in the eleven on eleven of being back in front of you know, a good crowd of fans at Nichegi, you know, for the first time since you know, prior to going to Pittsburgh. You know, it was you know, I won't say hot, but it was muggy and a little uncomfortable. You know. The humidity out there was a factor. Guys were sweating, and it was it was long. There were a lot of eleven on eleven reps for one practice and Matt Lafleur had actually said in when he spoke with the media before practice, he said basically said, yeah, they're gonna go hard because then Monday is just like a walkthrough. And then they'll be back to more of like the normal practice on Tuesday and Wednesday. So yeah, there was something about There was something about that Sunday afternoon at Nichiki Field that was different than what we've seen and felt throughout training camp so far. And I guess from there, we'll see how the rest of the week goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just for the average fan, making sure we lay it out so people understand. The reason you do that is because most of the starters didn't play very long, right The offense had one series, the defense had three plays, So you want to be able to get guys more work, want to be able to go down the field with Jordan Love and get him into rhythm, and also try to sort through this offensive line situation right now, which got we gained a little bit more perspective on this past week. But overall, I don't remember, and maybe you can correct me, because your memory is better than mine. I don't recall a time in which we had three straight team periods this camp. I don't even remember how many times that happened last year at all. But through that I thought there was an important lesson to be learned, because that's where the attrition comes into it right, And I think that's also what turns up my attention when you see guys make plays. I mean, you look at katano Aladappo, who's learning how to play this nickel spot with Javon Bullard, his you know, twenty twenty four classmate, him coming through and stepping up and making a nice interception there on a play out to the flat and stepping in front of one days after he's chasing down you know, Will Howard for a sack in Pittsburgh. Those are the plays that you need to make as the Packers try to sort through not only what the fifty three is going to be like, but who's the next man up if there is something happens during the season. I thought, you know, Jalen Simpson moving back to perimeter.
Speaker 1: Cornerback, that was the next guy I was going to talk about it.
Speaker 2: We're learning something about him and it's very interesting that he has a safety nickel background, but my goodness, to me, it looks like his most natural position is cornerback. And I say that with no disrespect and no Jalen was talking to us in the locker room on Sunday. He said he doesn't quantify himself as anything. He thinks he's a defensive back. He can play anywhere. But he did mention there were some moments that were very difficult in that game against Pittsburgh. But he's playing the nickel, a spot that he's played historically, but not really concentrated much on this offseason just because of numbers, because of what the second team in thirteen units look like. In the second half, well, then he goes back out to the perimeter, and my goodness, I mean that was as nice of a reception as you've seen in training camp, let alone an interception. Yeah, he's going up against Prather down the sideline and Tyrod Taylor's trying to work that thing in there. He keeps inside leverage, he keeps Prather out to the sideline and makes a wonderful over the shoulder catch and nearly had another one. As he said, that doesn't count. You got to catch him. Yeah, Yeah, he read an outrow perfectly. He had been off for a pick six. So as we sort of chart out what this depth chart is going to look like, and guys that are making a bid for the fifty three, Jalen Simpson continually finding ways to get noticed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was a great bounce back practice for Simpson. And again we don't necessarily, we don't really know what happened on the practice field Saturday when they got back out there, But Sunday was a great bounce back for a young player who had been doing a lot of really good things. And we talked about him on the show last week leading into the Pittsburgh game. And but then he had some rough moments in Pittsburgh with you know, falling down and coverage and he got flagged for past interference and so he needed a rebound moment and he got it and now he's you know, he'd been looking for another one. In the second preseason game, you talked about next man up, so not a long term injury, but Lucas Vanes is currently sidelined with a shoulder injury. He spoke to reporters and said it's not something that you know, is really a big deal, you know, being very cautious about it right now. But the next guy up was Brenton Cox junior. Well, Breton Cox Junior got a sack in Pittsburgh when the second team defense was out there on the field, and again that's a player he's not a rookie by any stretch, but he's still a young player because of the time that he's missed due to injury and you know, the sort of inconsistent playing time that he's had over the course of his career. But Breenton Cox Junior is a player to watch on this team as the Packers are going to work their way through this stretch on defense until Michael Parsons comes back Number fifty seven. I've always felt I mean, you know, I think we probably talked about it on this show. When he first arrived as an undrafted guy. You could see immediately the pass rush ability that he has. Everything to me with Breenton Cox Junior has been and can he round out his game to be to also be a stout edge setter against the run to them where the coaches can trust me. He doesn't need to be a specialized player for a certain package or a certain down and distance. He can be an every down guy because the well rounded game is there. It was probably going to come sooner for him if not for the injury last year that wiped out such a big portion of the season. But it feels like it's coming for Brenton Cox Junior now.
Speaker 2: Man, It's just he has it all. He has all the tools that you want to see in a pass rusher, and I think he has improved as an edge setter too against the run. And I feel like this transition now with Jonathan Gannon's defense getting back to more of a three to four, I think that's also going to benefit him. You're seeing these edge rushers stand up a little bit more. Lucas Vaness was doing that as well. The way I don't know who you're gonna give the sack to, but the one that him Nxire Franklin both contributed to, and Franklin came on the a gap blitz in Pittsburgh that came from a two point stance in him rushing off to the side. It just seems like everybody's so comfortable in their own skin right now. But with Cox, it's fascinating because I don't think I've covered a guy like him in Green Bay so far. Mic in which basically red shirts two seasons and honestly a bulk of his third season, and unfortunately for Brenton, special teams have never been part of his real big job description and something he's worked hard at. But whether it was because of Kings Leannigbari and then Baron Surrell and obviously Lucas Vaness has played in that phase for three years. It was hard for him to get on the game day roster, so it was sort of like, Okay, either he's pass rushing or he's going to be down. They trade Preston Smith last year or two years ago. Excuse me. Now he comes out of the gates. He's flying four sacks in seven games, seven quarterback hits, and I think we all expected him to be able to pick up right where he left off, and in some regards he did, but unfortunately he gets that core injury just derails year three for him. But the Packers bring him back, and I think Mike when they did that and they worked through all those restricted free agents, if you put together that list, it was like, man, if they could find a way to keep him in the fold and just see year four, what does he have? Yeah, I think we're so close to figuring that out. I mean that bull rush that he had, I mean the way that this guy is put together and the strength that is in his body, it's special. So for him to be able to have that performance. And I chatted with him about it afterwards. You know, he mentioned he just saw what Lucas did, what the defense did, he had to keep that going. There's just so many guys in that edge rushing competition right now that it's not just about who makes the fifty three. It's about who is going to be contributing in the month of September when Micah Parsons isn't out there and for LVN not being on the field right now, I think this is a great chance for BC to show what he's all about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. As far as the competitions go. I mean, we're the cornerback competition is continuing, Brandon CSA, Keishawn Nixon, Benjamin Saint Jus. In Sunday's practice, it was pretty much CISA and Nixon with the ones for the bulk of practice. So we'll see what happen happens as the rest of the week goes. Carrington Valentine's still currently sidelined with the hamstring injury, but that remains a competition to watch. And then on the offensive line at guard, we've talked about Jacob Monk. He's been playing right guard. Jagger Burton is playing left guard because Aaron Banks has still not taken any eleven on eleven. He's dealing with an issue with his knee. But you know, the longer this goes on, then you wonder, okay, like how is this going to sort itself out on the offensive line. So those are competitions we continue to watch, and as you said, the edge rusher one is definitely at the top of the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Baron Surrell, I mean what he's done with that opportunity to And I said it, Mike, I don't know if you caught my tweet about this during the game. Obviously you're working on the live chat. But you know, I picked Baron as my player to watch, and I did that because I thought he was a player to watch, but also because I thought he would play into the first quarter. I thought he'd be kind of like Warren Brentson and some of these other guys, they would stay in the game. They took him out after that first series. That speaks volumes about what they think about this kid, what he's put on tape already, and how important he is to the defense. It could have easily rotated him and without denying Dennis Sutton. They needed ed rushers in this game, but they felt that good about what they've seen from Sorell and wanted to protect him there that his night was over after that first series. So in terms of the offensive line, there's so much to learn there still. And you know, you have Anthony Belton, who I thought took a step forward at right tackle in that game. The more I watch him, it just it does seem like that is the spot he's most comfortable with. He talked very openly about how learning right guard has been a new thing for him. Whereas you see guys like Jacob Munk, who played there a lot at Duke, you see a guy like jag Or Burton who played everywhere on the interior line at Kentucky. That's traits that you develop and you learn, and it doesn't just happen overnight for you. I mean, there is a workload in a background that I think sometimes shows itself up. But for both of those guys getting those shots and for Aaron Banks not being out there right now, I think they've done the most with it, and Burton to be able to, you know, Matt Lafleur said, he's like, you know, the way he's played, he's given the packers a lot to consider, and I think that's a credit to him and the mentality that he came in with four year starter in the SEC you cannot just come in and be a guy like. There's a reason why you were able to do that, and it's because he's accountable and it's because he has a skill set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one other competition we certainly need to talk about. This will be the last one here before we go, but you and I have seen it. We talk about it on the sideline. We talked about it. You know here at our desks, when you look at what's going on at defensive tackle here, we know that when everybody's healthy and things are good to go, that the main two guys are DeVante Wyatt and Javon Hargrave. But it seems like when we're watching practice, like every other minute, when we look up from our phones or look up from our notebooks and you know the notes that we're taking, whatever we're seeing Carl Brooks or Chris mccollin or Nasstackhouse or Warren Brinson making a play, and I'm probably leaving out a guy here too. Anthony Campbell is Yeah, is another. I mean the now it's It's not perfect for any of those guys either, but it's interesting to me to see how many different guys at that position seem to just show up here and there on the practice field where you know, you can't just ignore it, especially when the practices are in full pads. I mean, we'll see what the rest of the practices this week have in store, and and when we get to the second preseason game in Denver, there isn't room for all these guys on the roster. There isn't. There are going to be some tough decisions made, and maybe the decisions made at defensive tackle might be the toughest ones that Goody and company are going to have to make. And we're a long way from that. You know, there's still maybe some of these guys will start to separate themselves, but collectively as a group, you can't point to any one guy and say like, oh, where's he been. It's like, no, we're seeing these guys are showing up on a daily basis on the practice field in a pretty large group and a large competition, and it's definitely something to follow.
Speaker 2: I mean, the more I watch McClellan, I've been jokingly calling him Chris mcpad level. I mean, it's just the low man wins in the sport, and you can see how he won as much as he did. And it was a conversation I have with Warren Brinson too about a week and a half ago, when he said, you know, when you lead the sec in sacks as an interior defensive tackle at that position, leading them in that position, that speaks volumes about what you're doing against these other offensive lines and how disruptive you've been. And I think you see those traits. It's not gonna happen overnight for him, but the fact that you're seeing some of those flashes already, I think are very important that the player though. The other one to throw into that conversation, and I'm glad that Larry mccaerron did in the Three Things video is Jonathan Ford because from.
Speaker 1: That's that's the other guy I was forgetting as well, which is hard to forget a guy who's three hundred and thirty eight pounds, but yes, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Michael is when you look at these varying skill sets and these guys that have all made place, I don't think there's anybody during the time in which Whyatt wasn't in team and Hargrave was still on pup. I don't know if there's anybody that I don't think showed out at some point. Yeah, And what's so intriguing in the decision the Packers are going to have to ultimately make is they got all these different dudes with different skill sets. What do you want behind that starting three? You know, who do you want behind Brooks, Wyatt and Hargrave. Obviously McClellan is going to be a part of that, but you know in Azer Stackhouse came back bigger. He's defending the run well. I think he's looked more explosive. When you look at Warren Brinson, he's a knifing type of defensive tackle, a do it all kind of guy that there's an explosiveness there that maybe isn't common at his position. But then Jonathan ford Man, there are only so many human beings that the Good Lord made six foot five and three hundred and thirty five pounds in rock solid. I mean, this kid is not carrying bad weight. He's just a massive dude. It's what the Packers liked about him when they draft him four years ago out of Miami, and I think he has shown progress, and I think some of the most fun reps I've watched throughout the fall, throughout the spring, and into the summer, we're seeing him and Anthony Campbell lined up together in the three unit because both of those guys were reckon shop at times. Now you've got to be able to do against the twos, you got to do it against the ones. But Ford is a guy that takes this job very seriously and understands what is required to Finally, he had to wait a very long time to get his shot in the NFL. It was brief with Chicago, but now he's back in Green Bay and to show that progress. There are traits inside that young man's body that are not common with most NFL football players, and the Packers in these last two preseason games and these practices that are be included in that they're going to be looking for number sixty four to show them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of evaluation still left to go. And as I always say, if the decisions are difficult, that's a good problem to have because it's way better than the alternative. If the personnel department is sitting down and looking at the board and this is easy, like bing bing bing bing. You know, move on from those like if it's easy, then that's not a good sign for your football team, Michael.
Speaker 2: Last year and now, some of this was you know, the Packers owned doing because they did trade Kenny Clark to acquire a generational player in Micah Parsons. But there was a stretch in the final half of that season the Packers were picking guys up off of waivers, They were signing guys from practice squads, and they were playing them the follow the following Sunday at nose Tackle. Yeah. So to be in a position where we're talking about this many different guys that are potentially contributing, that is a very good sign for all this thing's going to shape up. And honestly, it makes it really fun to head to Denver on Friday to have that joint practice against Arizona the following week to see, Okay, some of you guys have flashed, some of you guys have shown some stuff. Who's going to finish it out here? Yeah, who's gonna be the one that takes it all the way to the finish line?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, Well, we've gone a little long today, but that's okay. It's training camp. The practice was long the other day, so we'll go along as well, but with a lot cooler and here, but with that we will call it? Who will call it? A final? On the episode. On this episode of Packers on Script, be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team and training camp on packers dot com. For West, I might thank you for tuning in se