Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast George Norie with you. Lady Dolphin Back with Us founded the Dream Interpretation Center back in nineteen ninety seven. She has been teaching dream analysis to the counseling students at Concordia University in Montreal since two thousand and five. Lady's interest in dreams stems from her early experience in Freudian analysis, where dream work was the primary tool. She's been a member of the International Association for the Study of Dreams since nineteen ninety seven as well. In addition, she writes the Understanding Dreams column at Psychology Today known as the Oprah Daily. As the dream Catcher, Dolphin's goal is to introduce you, the public, to the value of understanding your dream and a view towards long term change. I mentioned one of her books, Have a Great Dream Book too, but she also has have a Great Dream Book one Lady, welcome back. Have you been.
Speaker 3: I've been good, George? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. I love dream I think they're fantastic when we can remember them.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, to remember them is the first step, no question about it.
Speaker 2: Is there a trick to remembering dreams?
Speaker 3: Well, I find the most helpful exercise that I love is to just sit down in a chair and look all around the room and take note of the paintings, the pictures, the carpeting, the furniture, the lighting. Just go around the room with your eyes and then close your eyes and go around the room in your mind's eye with your eyes closed. And you can even do that with your childhood home, by the way, and you do that a couple of times, and you are waking up that part of your brain that's the same facility you need in order to remember a dream. So it kind of gives you that feeling of eyes open, eyes closed, eyes open, eyes closed, and that's going to help you remember your dream.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the beginning when you got interested in dreams. What happened?
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, I when I was twenty, I had a crisis in my life and I ended up, thank goodness, in Freudian analysis with a brilliant New York doctor who had just recently moved to Montreal. And because I wasn't so well able to articulate my feelings when I was in my early twenties. I'm a dreamer and I've always been a dreamer, and I used to walk into the sessions with a shrink, always with a dream. And so before I studied Freud, I learned Freud because I did Freud, and it made me realize, I'm just putting up a little wallpaper for all of us right now. I learned fifty years ago that actually a dream is an interior problem solving conversation that happens between your conscious and your unconscious mind, and it gets triggered by something very specific that you either thought about yesterday or that happened to you yesterday. And so when we go to sleep at night, if you had, you know, ten thousand things happened to you today, which you probably did, your unconscious is going to prioritize the one thing that's bugging you the most, and all of your dreams tonight are going to be about that person or situation. And that's the conversation that is the dream. And so what I did over these fifty years is I developed a very simple six points of entry method that anybody can use to understand what the heck you were saying to yourself when you had that crazy dream. So I'm just going to give you those six points of entry, because the whole rest of our discussion this evening is all around those six points of entry and the dream I'm going to give you. I'm always moving back and forth between the points of entry. They are the feelings, the action, how is the dreamer moving in the dream, The play on words and puns because we use puns and play on words constantly in our sleep, the same way as we do in our waking life. The repetition because we repeat the plot and the symbols. And so those are the six points of entry. And you'll notice, I mean, everybody's going to know how to do it by the end of this interview because I always go back to the points of entry and you'll get to hear all of them as I go through a dream.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you fantastic And how did you come up with these six points?
Speaker 3: It's I'm eclectic in my approach to dream analysis. And when I finished Freudian analysis, somebody at the university, one of the teachers there, said, wow, if you love Freud, you would love Frederick Pearls and Gestalt. So I enrolled in my thirties at the Gestalt Counseling and Training Center, and I became a Gestalt counselor. So I learned how Frederick Pearls looked at dreams. And I'm as you know, after eight interviews, George, it's our anniversary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I learned. I'm an eclectic person. And so in my forties I went to the Alfred Adler Institute and I learned how Adler looked at dreams. And then I became a member of the C. G. Jung Society. So that is me. I don't know why the fathers of psychology were arguing, because what I realized is all of them are right, and it doesn't really matter which point of entry you choose to uncover the trigger. What's the thing that triggered this morning's dream. That's always my question, And the reason why I have that question is because I'm a first things first kind of girl. Even though I love Freud, love going deep. I've got no problem with deep, but I always want to stay surface first, because if you and I are going to dig for gold, which is funny that you had a commercial about gold just before I came on, I'm always digging for the gold. But if you want to dig for gold, you have to know where are you going to begin digging? And that's what the surface reason you had the dream because you're aggravated with your girlfriend, you're aggria with your husband. And so once we know the dreamer and me understand what is the surface reason that triggered this dream, which I call the first level. Once we get the first level, then you know where to dig to go to deeper, a deeper look. And should I run in and just tell you quickly what a deeper look is?
Speaker 2: Yes, And let me ask you one real quick question. These six points of entry? Are they in every dream?
Speaker 3: No? Not necessarily?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: When you hear a dream, it's going to call you. Like for example, if you say to me, I was trying to run but my seat were not working right, that is an action point of entry. That's calling me. And I'm going to say to the dreamer, where do you think you're trying to get to in your life that you're having difficulty getting getting to?
Speaker 2: Or you fall they or you know, or you fall and never hit the bottom.
Speaker 3: That's an action point of entry also, And that was that fall is a great one for the feelings. Also, how did you feel in the dream, because maybe that person's going to say I felt completely out of control, which is going to help me. Ask the dreamer, what do you think of going on in your life this week where you're not feeling like you have your control? And so that's going to help the dreamer name Like, what I do is the exact opposite of a psychic experience, because in a psychological experience, you're telling me the dream. I am not telling you why you had that dream. I'm going to ask you the right questions based on those six points of entry, and you're going to tell me why you had that dream. It's not going to be me telling you because the dream belongs to the dreamer only, and you can ask questions to the dreamer and maybe that's how you're going to uncover what's going on, but you can't. It's not a psychic thing where you tell me the dream and I tell you why you had it.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk about some of the things that you wanted to talk about tonight, and that includes your own dream.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm going to just dip us deeper first, because then when I give you my dream you and I will be able to more easily go through all the layers. And so the principle that I'm presenting here is that when we arrive in the world, when we're born, we come into the world whole. We have everything, every potential I call it. We could be shy, assertive, selfish, giving. You could be a hero, a chicken. Maybe you're the comedian in the family. Maybe you're the person who's more serious. Are you the person who always reaching out to make the plans, or are you the person who's always on the receiving end of the phone call. You could be quiet, you can be outspoken, calm, nervous. And so there's all these parts of ourselves and the people that bring us up. And they don't do it on purpose, there's no blame. But people who bring us up teach us that it's better to be one way than another way. And so you get over exercised I call it in some aspects of your personality and under exercised in others, which is what Carl Jung would have called our shadows, these less familiar, under exercised parts of yourself. And a great example for this little section is those people that don't know how to say no. Maybe come from a home with siblings and you hear. If you're in a home with siblings and you're not an only child, you probably hear your parents say things like, you know, go help your sister, go look after your brother, and so you hear these. You know, in any way, your whole waking life experience is all about sharing your parents. So it's a big focus on sharing and doing, sharing and doing, and those are the people that they don't know how to say no because they turn into many of them, including myself, by the way, over accommodators. And the only reason that one personality trait it's that it's not good to be stuck with an overexercised part of your personality. The problem there is that life throws you every different kind of situation from divorce, cancer, death, I mean, oh my goodness, the job. There's like so many different things that happen to us in our waking life. You don't want to be stuck with your same knee jerk over exercised response to waking situations and your dreams. This is the key every single night, and not by random. Your trust the unconscious mind gives you on a silver platter, the appropriate response to whatever waking life situation you're going through. Because my biggest message I could give everybody tonight is there is no good, no bad, no right, no wrong. My question on a deeper level is always am I responding in the most appropriate way to whatever situation I'm facing? So it's not a good or bad, it's is this appropriate or not? Because if it's not appropriate, I want to have the other parts of me well exercised enough that I'm not stuck with my knee jerk reaction. And I'm seventy one, So if there's someone who's twenty or thirty or forty out there, you don't want to be turning seventy and you always have the same darn response to every different situation that happens to you. You want flexibility, because flexibility is called power.
Speaker 2: Wall said. Wall said, when you look at when you interpret dreams for individuals, when you look at them, how do you start to ascertain what it is?
Speaker 3: Well, first I hear the dream, and from hearing the dream, that's what starts you on this long road that I just told you about. And I'm actually going to use a dream of my own tonight because it's so funny. After eight visits you and I, I had to think, like, what am I going to talk about? I want to keep George interested, and so I chose a dream that I had when I turned forty, which also happened to be the same year that my dad passed away. I started having a series of dreams where I was having trouble standing up. And one morning I said to Andy, my husband, I described to him I was walking on a campus, the lower campus of a university in Asheville, North Carolina, and I was on my knees. Because these are called my kneeling dreams, because I had a series of dreams for a couple of weeks and the stories in the dreams would change, but I was always walking around on my knees. And so this morning I told him that I was doing fine on my knees, except it started to snow and I was trying to get to the upper campus, and I said to him, I couldn't stand up. And because Andy knows the six points of entry, when he heard me say I couldn't stand up, he said, why who you're having trouble standing up to? Because that was a play on words. That was fun right there, And so I started thinking to myself, who am I having trouble standing up to? But I couldn't get it. And the next night I went to sleep, and this is an example of repetition. I dreamed that I was kneeling in the office of a guy whose name is Neil. So it's like your it's like your unconscious takes a plastic baseball bat and hitting you over the head with it. Scripts that's right, and that's why I'm getting the kneeling twice. And the guy's name is Neil. So using a symbols point of entry, I asked myself, who is Neil? What comes to my mind about him? Name three things about Neil. And the first thing that came to my mind about Neil is that he's my brother's business associate and friend. And actually it was my brother who I was having trouble standing up to. And if I use Neil as a solution, because I'm talking about he aggravated me about I wanting to approach him, not as the younger sister who might be crying and sad and emotional, because if you want to get through to my brother, by the way, and I still say the same thing today as I did thirty years ago. If you want to get through to my brother, the last thing you want to do is be emotional. You don't want to be behaving like the young sister. And so I needed to access that shadowy, unfamiliar, business like aspect of myself. That's like Neil. I needed to become and approach my brother the same way that his unemotional, business like business associate friend of his would. So Neil is the solution to the dream. That's what a solution looks like. And that's why I said, it's never an accident. It's not random the people that appear in your dreams. I needed to become Neil. And because I'm eclectic, and this is also Carl Jung's active imagination, but it's also behavioral modification, I borrowed a tie from Andy and like well, First, obviously I called my brother and I did not make the meeting at his house where I would be his little sister. I booked the meeting at his office because my dream took place in an office. So my dream is pointing me to all the answers to help me become less emotional
Speaker 1: Listen to more coast to coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to coast to coastam dot com for more