Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot com. I am Mike Spaffer, joined as always by my trusted colleague Wes Hodkoitz. We're coming to you here from our new studio inside the halls of lambeau Field and wes it Is. We have a lot of topics to cover there, but we will start with last weekend's rookie mini camp. We got a chance to meet some of these players see them on the practice field thoughough it was admittedly just kind of a jog through workout with some drills. Nothing too exciting there. But what were your first impressions of this small six player draft class for Green Bay.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny, right because yes, small in terms of the numbers, but I mean some big people and it's no longer I think. One of the big changes that I remember. I remember my first few years on the beat. You know, you'd get in a fabians of belly in here, right, it was like six foot eight tackle. You get some of these massive dudes at these various positions. And as time has passed on in the NFL, one thing I've noticed is it's not so much just about the size of the player anymore, it's about the proportionality of him and at his respective position. Right when you see Brandon cc and Demani Jackson at the cornerback position, they're not that much bigger than you and I, but just how thick they are, right, just how strong they are in that type of you know, body type. These aren't just five foot eleven cornerbacks that are one hundred and seventy pounds. I mean, these guys are hovering right around the two hundred pound mark and still being able to possess that type of speed that they have, in that explosiveness that they have. And then probably the most fascinating of all for me was Chris McClellan because you and I wrote all the stories this past week, we had the conversations on on scripted about him, but then you see him in person and when you think about, you know, low man wins, I mean, it's tough just looking at him, probably for an interior offensive linemen to anchor get down and move that type of body type with his length, his physicality, in his size. So it was an eye opening experience because as far as the actual practice itself, Matt Lafuir touched on. I mean, this thing is not the way it was even when I started covering this team in twenty twelve. There's no helmets, there's no shells. These guys are going out there almost for like a jog through type practice while putting a heavy emphasis on the mental side of things. So when we get them in pads, when we get them in helmets, when we get to see a little bit more of them in ota, you can draw bigger conclusions as far as the players were dealing with. But when you're talking about investing those six picks into these type of prospects, you can clearly visibly see why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with some of these guys, when you get that, you get that first physical impression, when you get to see them in person. I mean we've seen, you know, all the highlights on the videos and all that kind of stuff, but when you actually get to see them in person, it's like there's always sort of a one word initial reaction for me that comes to mind, the word thick with regard to the cornerbacks, being you know, the smaller body types, but there's a solidness there. The word thick is what came to mind for me with Jagger Burton as soon as I saw him. That is not a small man. I mean, he he has got he has got some size and some stoutness to him. With Chris McColl and, the word leverage comes to mind, right because of the body type that he has. And then when I see denied Dennis Sutton, it's the word length because it's not something I really noticed watching his highlights from Penn State, but getting to see him in person, it's like, Wow, Not only is he so tall that he kind you know, his head kind of stands up a little bit higher in the defensive huddle, but then the length of his arms when you look at like the wingspan, and we were talking about, you know, separation with you know why they measure arm length and all this kind of stuff that goes on at the combine. You see like, oh, that's what the scouts like to see, That's what they're interested in, right, So you get those you get those initial physical impressions at first glance. I thought some of the stories that we heard too, just in the in the media scrums at their lockers. I mean hearing that Tray Smack, who was a lacrosse player, right, how he basically became a kicker because of the COVID pandemic, Like he's looking for something to do outside, doesn't want to be, you know, all cooped up inside all the time. And his high school took down all the lacrosse goals, you know, so he couldn't go out and just practice lacrosse on his own with nobody around. But what couldn't they take down the goalposts on the football field. So he started kicking field goals like on his own, and lo and behold, a handful of years later, he's a decorated kicker at a major college program like Florida, and he gets drafted in the NFL. You know, stories like that, and then and then to watch Deny Dennis Sutton introduce himself to every member of the media that came over to his locker before we all started asking questions and stuff. I mean, just getting that first taste of the personality of these guys in a little bit about their backgrounds was fun too.
Speaker 2: And if you looking at smack too, if you want to talk about I don't know if you don't call it divine intervention or just destiny, but the fact that he makes that decision to start kicking right and then what ends up happening one of his teammates on the lacrosse team. Oh yeah, his dad's Matt Stover. So it's like you got a guy that kicked in a league for what fifteen years, just happens to be a parent on your lacrosse team. And then is a guy that Trey was able to use as a resource early on as well. The pathway and we talk about it every year, but the path that these guys take and how you bring together all these guys from all these various colleges, from the SEC and one from the Big Ten, it allows you to kind of gain an appreciation for just how I don't want to say random, because certainly all these guys have worked hard to get here, but just how fortuitous it is for these guys to land in Green Bay, Wisconsin. And every single time we walk in there for the rookie orientation camp and after the practice when we have the locker room availability, I'm constantly teleported back to the first time we talked to Aaron Jones in twenty seventeen, the first time we talked to Rashan Gary. I wasn't there for it, but I'm sure you remember when BJ Raji and Clay Matthews both came into town for the first time. Absolutely, you don't know who these players are going to become. You don't know when you're gonna eventually stumble on the next Jordan Love or Aaron Rodgers or Jordy Nelson, Right, And for these guys to come in now, get their feet wet and understand the system and seeing if they can integrate themselves now in time for OTA's in mini camp. This is where the journey starts. This is the beginning of the board game. And I want to close on this as well because I'm glad you brought up the pointball Burton because when I looked at him for the first time when he's standing at his locker, his body type and I don't know the comparables at all in terms of bench or forties or he reminds me so much of Corey Linsley in the way that his shoulders are, the way his body is, and I think it just goes back to just that center sort of prototype, the traditional center prototype. And as Adam Stenovich said in the availability we had with him afterwards, you know, he looks at Burton as a guy that that is his natural position. They'll obviously see what else he can do at that interior spot, the two guard positions. But the Green Bay Packers, again, my whole point has been, we did total Packers yesterday. We shot that. I didn't feel like they needed a dozen picks in this thing. They found a few good men, and I feel like that's going to be exactly what they need now to get them across the finish line here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, we also heard from on Monday this week the Packers coordinators, and we're going to be hearing from the other assistant coaches on both sides of the ball over the next couple of days, and on our next show we'll be able to talk about what we heard from them. But as far as the coordinators go, this was our first time, our first chance from the media to get a chance to talk to new defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon, new special teams coordinator Cam Acord. And it's funny because you know, then, like Adam Stenovitch also what he walks into the new media auditorium and he's like never been in there, right, He's got to like take a moment to soak it all in because I mean for so long. I mean all you know, the first you know, twenty years that I've been here, it was that other media Like this is the first time other than when you kind of do a one off somewhere upstairs on the fourth floor or whatever, like all the media stuff has always been in the same place, and now there's this whole new room and everybody's getting used to it.
Speaker 2: Where was it physically before that? Before in twenty three, when they did the renovations for the I never saw the original media auditorium, do you remember it? All?
Speaker 1: It's it was basically the same place where the yeah, where the one was, and then they just did a little bit like of a renovation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks for answering that question for me.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, it was it was I would say, a little bit smaller though not and didn't have you know, didn't have like the kind of the fancy permanent background and the nice chairs and all that. It was. Now we got a digital a little bit was a little bit more primitive. But yeah, now we have this like digital screen back there that flips around with the different advertisements and and everything else. But but I want to ask you, I mean, I guess again, it's another first impressions kind of question. But you know, whether you want to talk about Gannon or a Chord, which of the two new coordinators? What were what were your first thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start on Gannon because obviously that's been a popular topic throughout the offseason. I thought you wrote a really nice story on packers dot com. Uh, kind of exploring his philosophy as a coach, as a defensive mind, and obviously the new chapter that he's starting in his career here. He had those three years in Arizona and he mentioned, you know, the learning experience that that was for him and realistically how much he enjoyed these last two and a half months just sitting down and kind of talking shop with matt Le the Fluyrd, learning how he runs his program, what he looks for in you know, building culture and unity, and obviously the success that Green Bays had over the last seven years. But beyond that, now Gannon inherits this defense that helped catapult Jeff Hafley to an NFL head coach opportunity in Miami and seeing what his stamp is going to be there. And in one of the big takeaways was I know it was the center of your story. It's the idea of the personnel. Over the playbook. They will have concepts, as he said, they'll have their bullets, their staples, the things that they want to do defensively. But more than anything, he's going to look at the totality of this roster and OTAs in mini camp, get through training camp, and then that'll be them deciding, Hey, what direction they're going to go, what they're going to do well. And you know, I saw some fans, you know, I think there's some people that want to hear more absolutes. They want to hear you know, this is what the playbook is, and this is what the players are going to need to do it. And if you can't do it, we're going to find somebody else. Right, That's the way fans like to think a lot of times. Yeah, but in a way it was more after the fact. It wasn't foreshadowing. But this is what Jeff Haffley did over the last two years. Jeff Haffley came in talking about a four to three front, talking about it being a vision based defense and whether it was injuries or just figuring out what the players are doing best, they made those adjustments. The thing I get a big kick out of, and then I'll toss this back to you, is this idea of the three four four three. It's been almost become a cliche about how that doesn't really matter anymore. Yeah, but if you want the ultimate example of why that doesn't matter, just look at what Green Bay did defensively last year. Lucas Vaness was standing up at times, Kingsley inning Bari was standing up at times, Rashaan Gary was standing up at times. It's all about what the vision is to the quarterback. That's the only thing between the two and three point stance that really matters anymore. And yes, while the base front is a big point of interest for the run game, we all know what third down pass rushes look like now right, it's a four man front. It's two interior mostly three tech defensive tackles and two guys coming off the edges. Doesn't matter what your base defense is.
Speaker 1: Right, And then are you gonna bluff with a blitzer off the slot or bluff in the A gap or you know who might be an extra guy that's coming and you're trying to keep the offense guessing. Like all that, everybody does. Everybody does the same stuff. It's just how do they make it look so that they make it more challenging for the offense to try to figure it out. But everybody's doing the same thing. It's just it's what the presentation of it is to try to get that, you know, that extra half a step or that extra half a second that gives you the edge on a particular play. What I find with with regard to Gannon and him putting this defense together, and you mentioned obviously you just go back a couple of years and the Packers are doing this with Halfley, and I said at the time on this show, I said it an insider inbox that a new coordinator comes in like this, there's gonna be an evolution to the defense, right, And we saw it in Halfley's first year, and Matt Lafleurs said it several times. He thought they were just going to be a rush for cover seven, vision to the quarterback and all this. Well, the way things turned out, the Packers weren't that great at rushing for and getting pressure on the quarterback. So then Halflee had to get all creative with you know, sending gays from different areas and maybe dropping other guys into coverage, and you know, it was still a lot of rush for it just wasn't always the four guys that you thought were gonna rush right like, and so they weren't just a conventional four man front. You know, get after the quarterback and drop seven into coverage. There was an evolution there with Gannon. There's going to be an evolution as well, both from the standpoint of Okay, him figuring out, Okay, what do the guys do best? And then you know the new rookies, the draft picks, is there a place for them in the rotation, et cetera. But then you also have, okay, at the beginning of the season, is Davante Wyatt gonna be full go or there gonna be some ramp up with him coming back from the broken leg? Micah Parsons, we know he's most likely not gonna be ready for week one, but when does he get back, and then what does the ramp up look like for him? And then when you get into October and November, this could be a totally different looking defense than the one that's gonna start the season in Week one. So not only is that sort of Gannon's approach, in general in terms of, you know, he's not planning to walk into week one with, Okay, here's our playbook for the season, and this is what we're gonna do. He's gonna see what the guys do, what they do well, and you're sort of building on a playbook as the season goes along. Then you add in the personnel stuff with guys coming back from injury. We may not really know exactly what this defense is going to hang its hat on, so to speak, until we get halfway, two thirds, three quarters of the way through the season, but it feels like this defense when you look at Jonathan Gannon's track record what he did in Philadelphia as a defensive coordinator, he certainly didn't have the success in Arizona as a head coach, but hearing from Matt Lafleuur having gone against him a couple times, it was not an Arizona defense that was ever a pushover by any means. There were a lot of challenges in preparing for that unit, and that's partly what attracted Matt Lafleur to hire Gannon. I think it's gonna be fascinating to see just the process and the progress and where this thing ends up in November in December with Gannon at the controls of the defense compared to just this starting phase right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the two other things I really liked that Jonathan talked about. One was the idea of that you don't want to get check made it before the snap, and that's where all the guy. You know, when you look at the disguise of what defenses are doing, not allowing offenses to catch wind of things before the play happens, that's going to be critical. It was critical with Jeff Hafley, It's going to be critical with Gannon. But you know, when it comes to individual players, you know, he was asked about Javon Hargrove and Hargrave excuse me, and the time that they had together in Philadelphia, and he talked about, you know that Hargrave was the one that made the plays. Yeah, but I think that's a very humble, well done approach. And Hargrave was a very good player even before Gannon got there, but he took his game to another level in Gannon's defense. He became a pro bowler. He had an eleven and a half sax season. He made those steps that you want to see from a guy entering the prime of his career. Then you go back to last season in Arizona, Kalayas Campbell's thirty nine years old, right, I mean, like, are these last few years like what these guys have been able to do in his scheme? He has found ways to make guys better. And when you're looking at the transition here from Halfley to Gannon, I think that's the parallel. It's gonna be different defenses, it's gonna be different philosophies, They're gonna win in different ways. But it's how do you take the guys that you have? How do you take an Drin Cooper in his skill set and elevate him? And I think that's gonna be the most intriguing thing. The weird part is going to be, like you said, this defense by year's end is likely going to look vastly different than it will those first few weeks, especially if Micah Parsis isn't back on the field yet. But what does a Baron Surrell do, What does a Lucas van Esk do? How do the guys that get those opportunities early in the season maximize them? And it's the biggest question mark but I think it's also what allows this defense to have the highest ceiling. Now going into twenty twenty six, Well, I want to get your thoughts on new Special teams coordinator Cam Acord as well. But take a quick break to pay a couple of bills and hear a word from our sponsor. Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers unscripted. All right, Wes, New Special teams Coordinator Cam Acord. I don't know if I, in all my years of doing this, if I have ever seen somebody's you know, coaching history and we look, you know, whether you're looking at guys like rich Basaccia or even Adam Stenovich for that matter, like you always see, oh, he, you know, worked at this college in this college and then you know, goes to the NFL, maybe goes back to college like Jeff Haffley did, and then you get back into the NFL. All these guys have all these different histories. I don't know if I've ever seen somebody like cam Accord who went straight from working at the junior college level to the NFL, and he talked about that it was his connection with Joe Judge and getting an opportunity to h to be hired by him and work alongside him in the NFL. And he's, uh, he's made it work because he's been in the NFL quite a while now. He's been a special teams coordinator in the past as well as a special team's assistant, worked with some different programs. I mean, he you know, he worked his way up under Bill Belichick, so there's something to be said for that as well.
Speaker 1: I just don't know if I've ever quite seen somebody with with his background in terms of making that jump all the way from junior college to the NFL. It's like he skipped Division III and Division one and the Power Conference to you know, to get to the NFL. It's like he skipped all of that. But man, he sure made it work.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you what, man, when you when you're talking about paying dues in the coaching realm and obviously now last chance you those type of programs have kind of shined a bigger light in junior college football. But I remember even my first few years, the Packers had a number of players that had gone the JUCO route at the event, they ended up drafting and talking to those coaches about what those trials and tribulations can be like, not just from the player standpoint, but recruiting, getting kids to your program, not having a lot of resources. As he even mentioned in his situation, I think there was three assistant coaches. So you're wearing multiple hats, you're recruiting, you're doing everything you can.
Speaker 1: And you're the grounds crew for the field too wild.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, you got it. It's it's as close. It's almost like coaching high school football, but without the resources, right, I mean, in some ways you're so stretched, you're so strained, and yet by the way, at best you're gonna have these kids for a year or two before they're going on to new opportunities. So it takes a lot, and you have to network, you have to know people, and I definitely respected that. That was the first thing that jumped out to me about Acorn when we saw his resume and where he came from. In addition to the fact that Bill Belichick, maybe more than any other head coach that I can recall in the NFL, has paid placed a heavy, heavy emphasis on special teams. It was his staple. Matthew Slater right eighteen years whatever ended up be in the NFL, him drafting Joe Cardona out of Navy as a long snapper, I think in the sixth round. I mean, they worked so hard and emphasized that phase so much that in addition to Tom Brady, in addition to some of the things they did defensively with multiple schemes and whatnot, he almost sometimes forgot about just how brilliant they were on special teams in the prime years of the Patriots dynasty.
Speaker 1: And they had top of the line kickers like Adam Vinettieri and Stephen Guskowski, who are both longtime guys who got it done for them as well.
Speaker 2: And now you have a guy in Acord that learned from Judge, he learned from Belichick and has been able to put his own spin on it as a special teams coordinator in the NFL for multiple years. Him getting this opportunity, he said, you know, he was kind of waiting to see exactly where things were gonna fall after his two years in New York. Obviously, you know, John Harbaugh goes there. He has his own philosophies He's also a special teams coach by trade, so Acord is kind of on the outside looking in, working the phones, trying to see what's going to happen. And then here you go in Green Bay with Rich Pisacci kind of stepping away in the eleventh hour, and he gets this chance to come in and taking all of those fundamentals, everything he's learned, still only thirty nine years old right now, and bringing that to Green Bay, a place that has struggled in that phase for better part of a decade. That is, he is the new guy that's going to be sort of trying to push this thing for it. I think the emphasis is there. Brian Goodikuin's talked about it. After the season. They've put so much, you know, focus now on identifying special teams talent with their roster, certainly Daniel Wheeland becoming a Pro Bowl caliber punter. I think you've seen that change. They have stability there with you know, Matthew orzik As the long snapper. Now they're just trying to find that kicker. They're trying to find that returner. Acord's going to take all that stuff. But more than anything that he said during that I thought was really critical was the idea of he used the baseball analogy, which I'm sure you loved, but the idea of just hitting singles in waiting for the pitcher to hang one out there and finally hit your home run, wait for them to make a mistake. I think that's what green Bay needs to get back to. It needs to get back to a position in which, yes, you're making plays consistently and then eventually the explosive plays happened. But at the end of the day, the job of special teams is to get that ball to the offense. Acord realizes that he knows that, and that's going to be the big thing that green Bay's focusing on now entering this upcoming season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're seeing the commitment there. I mean, for the second year in a row, the Packers have made an offseason move to try to boost the return game and ended up not working out with McCole Hardman, he did not make the fifty three man roster coming out in training camp this year. The investment is in sky Moore. It's a bigger investment. It's a guy who was in the top ten in the league in both kickoff and pump returns. Last year Packers looking for the boost in that area. As you mentioned, they're going to figure out who who this kicker will be. And I thought a Chord's answer when he was asked about something along along the lines of, you know, what do you think about, you know, having this three headed kicker competition, he was sort of like, well, I've had four before, you know, Like it doesn't phase him, right, It's like this is to him, this is all just part of the process. It doesn't it doesn't matter that one guy is a rookie, one guy is sort of a first or second year type player with a little bit of experience, and then one guy is is an eleven twelve year vet in the league. It's all part of the process. It has to it has to work itself out to see who is going to be the right guy for the twenty twenty six Green Bay Packers in that spot. And uh and the Packers will figure it out and move forward. You uh, you like you like obviously a Chords energy and the experience and everything he brings. I'm gonna have to get used to that Mississippi accent at the podium. Yeah, like that one's that's a little harder for me to to tune into. I will get used to it. But U but a different you know, he's from a different part of the country. Coaches from down in that area are and all that frequent up here. And not to say that there haven't been, there have certainly been coachesurgh guys. Yeah, yeah, exactly, we get we get more of the Midwestern the mid Western types around here. But no, I think it it's I think it's going to be I think it's going to be very interesting because the Packers have, as he even said it not so much in a comparative sense, but we can say it in a comparative sense. The Packers seem to have more pieces in place right now on special teams than they've had in the past. You mentioned wheel, and yes, they have to figure out the kicker. You have the long snapper, you've made the investment in the returner, and you have you know, these guys like Isaiah McDuffie and others who who are the leaders in that special team room when when they're going over film and all that. So, so let's see what cam Acord can do it.
Speaker 2: And I know I got a lot of pushback from Packer fans after the season when I kind of gave Rich Bisaci as flowers and I understand you can. You can throw the Goslin rankings at me and everything else in the areas where Green Bay struggled, certainly the Chicago game this past year, that was a big blunder, not being able to get that on side kick lad It cost them the game. But one thing I will always reiterate with Pisacchi is they had to start from ground zero in twenty twenty two. The only thing they had really returning was Mason Crosby. And I'm not talking about specialists. I'm talking about really their entire special team's roster. Right there was a reason why Zane Anderson was brought in at the end of camp. In what it was at twenty two or twenty three, they had to find new pieces and build out their core specialists. A guy like Isaiah McDuffie went from a guy that barely played special teams his rookie year in twenty twenty one was almost like a clean scratch type player to last year he was their special teams captain. Yeah, over those four years. So that's the situation that Acord walks into. I think it's definitely in a better spot than it was back in twenty twenty two, but unequivocally the Packers have to make a big step forward there. And whether it was the missfield goals, whether it was some of the blunders, you know, fumbles, just not enough production on punt return all those things Green Bay needs to improve in. And I think when you look at the competition at this roster right now, it's going to be in a position to improve because from whether it's you're playing guard on punt coverage or you're a flyer. I mean, if you're a jammer, you're a returner. I don't think there's one set spot going into this thing into the training camp in the off season. So Packers have a big, long way to go there. But acourt is obviously with his energy, what he brings to the table in terms of his coaching, in his background, this is a guy I think the Packers feel really good about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean what we've seen over the years is when when there's a mistake that's made on special teams, right, And the one that always sticks out to me last year early in the year was the blocked field goal in Cleveland that cost the Packers a victory. That's a weakness in your unit that then everybody is going to try to exploit until you prove that you can fix it. And then what happened the following week. Another kick got blocked, It was run back for two points. It was a three point swing in a game that ended up being an overtime. I'm ty those are the kind those are the kinds of things the Packers need to fix in terms of the film. But then it's also the individual performances. It's the kicker has to make the kick, it's the guy has to recover the on side kick when everything is set up for him to do his job. So there's always it's always a combination of the preparation and the performance right, and so the Packers definitely need to get that squared away. Last topic for today, something that we didn't necessarily see coming yesterday with all the other stuff that was going on and coming off of the rookie mini camp weekend. But there's a new backup quarterback in town. His name is Tyrod Taylor. The Green Bay Packers have signed the veteran who has played for I believe it's seven different teams in the breed to this point and released Desmond Ritter. So the backup quarterbacks now behind Jordan Love are Tyrod Taylor, Kyle McCord, and the undrafted rookie Kyon Drones. Both Taylor and Drones coming from Virginia Tech. Different generation years apart, different generations based on the age gap there. But your thoughts on your thoughts on the Packers bringing in Tyrod Taylor here in early May.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an incredible signing. I really enjoyed this one. I did not see it coming in some ways, I guess I should have, because, as I've talked about an insider inbox, I think we've discussed a little bit here. The window for the unrestricted free agency ended with the NFL Draft the Monday after the draft. That's over. So anybody that signs now, even if you had an expiring contract from last season, you no longer count towards the compensatory process. And we know how much Green Bay wanted to protect those picks. Because that last compensatory pick right now, King Zy and and Bari, that's gonna end up being a sixth round pick at least for green Bay. It's not like we're talking about some like late seventh round. I mean, that's that's a big asset. So with the way the net loss formula works out, they had to be very pragmatic about who they signed and when they signed them, including sky Moore, who doesn't affect it because of where his base salary was at anyway, more details than I'm sure most Packer fans want to get. But what I like about Taylor coming in now is there's a there's a dual effect here. One certainly you get a guy that has done it at a high level, has seen it all sixty two starts in the league, one hundred games, played some really intriguing stats when you look at over twelve thousand passing yards, over two thousand rushing yards, his touchdowns, the fact he's only thrown thirty four interception his career. He's done a really good job of protecting the football when he has been out there. The only thing that ever really held him back, in my opinion, was the injuries, because who even knows what happens in twenty eighteen in Cleveland. If he doesn't get injured right off the bat, I think it was the injury or the rib cartilage issue or something like that. If I remember call. This is a guy that had an opportunity to start originally in you know, with the Chargers. You know there there was a potential there for him to do it Houston obviously, with a lot of these things that were going on there, and for whatever reason, mostly injury related, he's just never been able to get back off the ground in terms of the starting role like he had for three years in Buffalo. But this is an amazing story and a guy that came in as a six round pick is only one of five players I think left from his draft class in twenty eleven, the tied for the fifth longest tenured player in the league now at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's only one other quarterback from that draft class, and that being Andy Dalton, who's kind of bouncing around as a backup much like Taylor is doing.
Speaker 2: And it's wild too when you think about, you know, Cam Newton was the number one overall pick in that draft. Yeah, and Newton's been out of the game now for three four years already. So NFL careers, none of them are the same, right, everybody has their own path. But going into this thirty seven years old, I just think there's so much that Taylor can give Jordan Love, who's sitting firmly in that QB one spot face of the franchise spot. He did it with Aaron Rodgers two years ago with the New York Jets seconding him. And at the same time, whether it's Drones McCord, any young quarterback that potentially comes into that room this year, that is a wily vet that has been through it all in the NFL and has lived to tell the tale. And I just feel like this is the type of guy at this point in time when you look for experience on your roster, he can bring a lot to that locker room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you look at why did the Packers make this move? What attracted them to Tyrod Taylor experience, A proven track record, He's got twenty nine victories in the NFL as a starting quarterback. And then what you mentioned also ball security, sixty two starts, only thirty four interceptions for a guy who most of the time through his career has either come off the bench or been an emergency starter filling in for somebody for injury. Ever since he left Buffalo to not have a track record of turning the ball over and putting your team in bad spots. That matters in those situations as well, and hopefully the hopefully Tyrod Taylor doesn't have to play for the Greebia Packers in twenty twenty six, right, but the Packers are trying to protect themselves and if something were to happen to Jordan Love, as it's happened at different times over the last couple of years, they have somebody that they can turn to, that they they can feel they can rely on.
Speaker 2: And with respect to Desmond Rider, because obviously he was a third round pick in the league. He started games for two years in Atlanta. The thing about it was, though, as Ridder the last year has been with like four five different teams. He got cut. He had a small stint there with the Vikings and a few weeks later signed with Green Bay. At the end of the season, I just felt like, if you weren't going to draft a quarterback, ultimately this was the route Green Bay was going to have to go, because you need somebody in that number two spot that whether it's his makeup and in tangibles and upside like it was with Jordan Love back in twenty twenty to twenty twenty two, or it's somebody like Taylor who has been there, done that, and then some you could always count on, potentially the end of training camp finding another league Willis, but I think it's going to be very difficult to find that guy again for a seventh round pick. Yeah, and they got really fortunate lucky that it worked out the way it did. But you go back to twenty thirteen too, where they had to basically get Seneca Wallace out of retirement to back up Rogers that season when the quarterback competition didn't work out. I just think this was a really prudent, salient move for Green Bay given the championship aspirations they have for this season.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned too, like about drafting a quarterback. I sort of feel like the Packers have put together the mix that they want as far as how this backup thing is going to shake out. You have the experienced veteran, You have a draft pick in Kyle McCord. He just wasn't drafted by the Packers. He was drafted in the sixth round by the Eagles. But obviously with the Packers bringing him in, he was a guy who was on their radar as a potential draft pick last year and then you have the undrafted prospect in in drones from Virginia Tech. So it's it's there. We'll see how it shakes out. Yeah, there's there. He's he's a he's an athlete playing quarterback, that's for sure, and that that's obviously what intrigues green Bay there. But we're out of time, my friend. We got to get going, so we will call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. As I mentioned on our next show, we'll talk about stuff we hear from all the other assistant coaches who are going to be meeting with the media over the next couple of days here in Green Bay. But for now, thank you for tuning in, everybody, and we will see you next time.